Speaker 1: I'm Joe Matthew in Washington with breaking news as it is now being reported that former Senator Joe Lieberman has died, most recently a national co chair to the No Labels Operation. We in fact just spoke with him last week about their effort to get a candidate on the ballot to run against Joe Biden and Donald Trump. Of course, a long time veteran of the Democratic Party, although he served as well as an independent. In his last cup of coffee in the US Senate twenty four years in the Upper Chamber, Lieberman of course also ran as a vice presidential candidate, the vice presidential nominee with Al Gore in the year two thousand, thrown into, of course, one of the most remarkable recounts in modern presidential history. Joe Lieberman, the gentleman from Connecticut, has died at eighty two. Joining us now our political panel, Lauren Tomlinson is with US partner at Steer pr and Alvin Jordan of Rock Solutions, neither of whom were prepared to talk about this, but that's the way things go. Alvin, his legacy in the Democratic Party, even though he ended his tenure as an independent, would be described how I would.
Speaker 2: Just say as one of those titans, just like one of the names that you know, kind of when you come into the world of kind of policy and just life on the hill. Just one of those names that kind of sticks, right, you said the gentleman from Connecticut. That was kind of my first thought. We were kind of thinking about this or talking about this just a quick second ago. And you know, I think just in a year where we're starting to see you know, a handful of people start to kind of bow out and retire, it's kind of the opposite with with leaving in the sense that like again like one of those names that's been around and kind of dedicate you know, kind of you know, the majority of his life for that matter to you know, democracy and the country in that way. And so definitely a loss for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, you think about the generational turnover here, Lauren. That's something that you know a lot about having spent some time in Washington. This is a generation of leaders that we're quickly losing here in Washington and not replacing them always very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, with Senator Lieberman, he was that same class where he was serving in the Senate with Joe Biden. He was serving in the Senate with my former boss, Saxby Chambliss, John McCain. You think about all of these names, and they served for a really long time as well, and it was a different age back then when they were on the Senate together. You know, there was a lot of bipartisanship, There was a lot of working together. They were all very friendly with one another. And so I think we talk about even the generational change of how the Senate is evolving with the new members that are coming in, and how populism and some of the politics of the day have kind of changed and made that bipartisanship a little less popular for members to pursue. Joe Lieberman's death I think gives us a glimpse to remember a time when people were still wanting to work together in that in the chamber.
Speaker 1: Despite his legacy as a veteran of the Democratic Party, Alvin, he's been given them crafts some adjective recently with this no Labels turn. He was one of the last remaining party code shares. If we can even call no Labels a party, it's really not. What was he trying to get done here? After all that time in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: Well, I think kind of what in essence the country is hoping for, which is just an opportunity to have a candidate that represents kind of a full picture of you know, obviously one one party in particular, but you know, a broader group, broader I think, approaching point of view for the country. And I think you know, part of you know, to Lawren's point, kind of that old guard is like, you know, how can we continue to work together or maneuver you know, kind of within around each other to actually get to something that helps us all. And so you know, I think on some level that had to be kind of one of those you know, guide intendants for him in that way. And so, you know, regardless of how he came across, I think that you know, people out of his camp would say that he was definitely kind of fight him for the greater democracy in that way, and I think that that's something that kind of always followed him regardless of it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you see him though, as being well intended despite some real criticism.
Speaker 2: Sure, well intended for sure, maybe, but I think more so of just kind of the goal of like democracy being kind of at the forefront. And I think that can be respected, especially with some of the shenanigans we see coming from the Hill these days on a more consistent basis. It's one of those things where you can, you know, kind of look to see or some expect someone to be kind of where you know, you expect him to be, as opposed to kind of popping up all over the short and so in that way, I think that can be respected.
Speaker 1: Thoughts from Alvin Jordan and of course Lauren Tomlinson. With breaking news here on Bloomberg, Joe Lieberman has died. The former senator from Connecticut, former vice presidential nominee for the Democratic Party, was eighty two years old.