Speaker 1: Coming up. Keep it positive, sweetie. I do try to tell my story because I know there are people who mess up and they do these things and I let them know. Like, look, yeah, when I moved to LA, I was on probation. Yeah, I continue to follow the things and not get in trouble. So I did get off early. But when I moved out there, I was not off. And one mistake doesn't determine your path. Yeah, no, it doesn't. Like you can you not your one mistake?
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm Christine Hazel and this is keep it positive, sweetie, a safe face to heal, laugh or grow and love. Speaking of love, telling how our new season is moving along. And I'm also loving to see the glow up of today's guest actress, writer, producer Gail Bean. And if you like me, you've enjoyed watching naacp Image Award winning actress Gail Bean Grace of TV on hit shows like Snowfall in p Valley. Gail has made an incredible mark on screen and offscreen, with an impact just as impressive as the areas of community service and political activism.
Speaker 1: Gailban's reach is wide.
Speaker 2: She is such a busy woman, but I'm so glad she found time today to keep it positive with me.
Speaker 1: Gil, thank you so much for pulling up on me. I appreciate it. Oh Man, Crystal, anything for you. We've been trying to get you here, so we got you. I've been wanting to come. I'm like, okay, we got to figure out how to make this work. Yeah, lo, thank you. I'm happy. I was so excited this couch. Honey, listen, this is the so me and my friend Brittany Hall used to live together in La. We caught our house the booked and busy house. Really, everybody, if you come in to booked in busy house, you're gonna gave out here with blessing. I know that's right. This couch is the blessing couch. So I'm going to leave out here with all the blessings out. Yes, it's already on you. Thank you, it's on you. You're glowing you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Before let's go back to before I even knew who you were like in person.
Speaker 1: I loved you.
Speaker 2: On Snowfall and I was just like, oh my gosh, the way you just embody your character and you were vulnerable, like I just fell in love with your artistry. And then I got to meet you and we did a panel at Shiloh High School remember that.
Speaker 1: Yes, Kirsen was captain of the cheerlead. Yes, and she put together the whole anti bullying social like I don't even remember the name of it, but when it was about like social anxiety for the students for the community of Shallahato, Oh yeah, that was so dope.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, And that's when I really got to see your heart and how you came back. You're from here and you like still was like active in the community. I was like, I like this girl, And ever since then we've been like this like.
Speaker 1: That, like listen, I was an avid Sisters watching and you was the one. I was like, oh, she mean because you kept a professional at work. But then it was like, oh, there's another side, a whole other side. There's like you guys work with me, but you don't know me. Yeah, right, So that I was like, oh, she's me and I love her.
Speaker 2: So many women stopping like I'm Fatima, Like that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mess a line. I'm real, you mess with mine, don't don't do that. Yeah, I'm the same.
Speaker 2: I'm really like protective of my people, like you gotta be more more calculated now that we're like in the light. But I'm like, no, yeah, sometimes I'll be forgetting.
Speaker 1: I'm like what Yeah, when that's that, the people around you will keep you. No, we're not doing that no more. Let the Lord handle it, you know, let them handle it. Yeah, yes, with those things do happen.
Speaker 2: I've always noticed, like whatever ends of happening as far as karma, Yeah, let God handle it, because it's like I wouldn't have done that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not like that. But that was perfect for you. You needed that. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Something else I love about you is how vulnerable and just transparent you are. You're just like a girl's girl. When I met you, I was like, because you know, you never know what you're gonna get with just the people in entertainment. I don't want to say actors, you do not know what you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Get with people. Now that like social media and YouTube has become such a thing in Twitch and so many other different platforms, it's not even just in an entertainment industry. It's just people period period. Don't know what you're gonna get with you, even people who don't do anything what they aspire to do. Stuff. It's like sometimes they think you might be a certain way, so they come off.
Speaker 2: A certain way, yes, and then they get something like, oh, you're not what I thought.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, I tell people all the time, I'm a reflection of you. So if you see something in me and it's like, oh my gosh, she's great, she's amazing, that's because you were great, amazing, because I get what I get. That's right. Yeah, I'm like, the energy is bad. I'm like, let me just slide on over here, because you don't want me to match it. Friend, let's not go there. Let's keep it positive exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Take me down memory lane because you're from What part of Atlanta are you from?
Speaker 1: Because you know there's so many they're not Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, where are you from?
Speaker 1: From the east Side. I'm from Stone Mountain. Okay, Metro, there we go. Metro makes up Atlanta. I tell people Atlanta would not be nothing without the Metro, it would not be So I'm from Mountain. I'm from the East Side. I grew up in Main Street. Okay.
Speaker 2: Did you always want to be an actor or was that something that came on later.
Speaker 1: No, I wanted to so I first wanted to be a hairstylist. No, I first wanted to be a photographer, then a hairstylist, then a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, then the female Johnny cockran saw a lawyer, and then I decided I wanted to just go with God and act. And it was like, I want my career to be a reflection of God. I want people to say, Okay, there's no way she could have done this, that this is not her, this is God. And I was like, I know, I could like kill law, anything dealing with education where you got to study and research and learn, Like that's me. I'm a sponge, I know. I mean I can't do hair. So clearly that was a reer path that didn't choose me. I could do my hair, and I think that's a lot of people. They could do their hair and their makeup and they could style themselves. But it's like, maybe it's different. This ain't your it's not your ministry. But it's okay because it's great on you. But then when it comes to getting into doing it for other people, it's that same passion. Isn't there, that same understanding? Isn't there that same attention and care So hair was it? No, Yeah, photography, I'm pretty fih at it. So I think that will come into place when it comes to like directing. Yeah stuff and yeah, I mean that was cowboys cheer is I'm a satitariut So my money, girl, like I can't funds is not that they don't get Yeah, so you though, Yeah, I decided I wanted to act. I just I thoroughly loved it. I had a passion for it. My senior year when I took a class. My mom, she's an educator. Well she's a retired educator. Yes, she taed in high school and she wanted me to go to college. So my senior year we weren't getting college letters. She was like, what's what's happening. I was like, Oh, I didn't apply because I'm going to move.
Speaker 3: To LA And she was like, no, you go to school because yeah, continue in your education.
Speaker 1: So I had to go to college. And then after college, I didn't do anything dealing with acting. I study accounting and finance. I was a double major. I studied abroad for business finance. Wow in Germany, Are you serious? That's incredible? Collegood University. What loved it?
Speaker 2: When you say you were like a sponge. You really loved Yes, education, that is amazing, loved it.
Speaker 1: I was a student government chair, com a Delta, so I did all the college things and then I was like, all right, mom, I graduated, I want to move to la And wow, was she like go ahead? Did she give you that blessed? Like you don't have a plan? So she was. She was such a mom I which I'm grateful for. It was such a mom and like an old school mom, like you've never been on the other side of the world. You don't have a plan. So I was like okay. I asked like three times. First was before college, second was like when I was trying to drop out and go, and then third was after So I was like, okay, I get it. I need plan. So then I developed a plan and then she when I had a plan, she was behind it right. So that's amazing. I love that.
Speaker 2: My parents will say where they were like all right, girl, So I was. I went to school in my hometown in Martin, Tennessee, and then after college I got a job on Capitol Hill in DC. They're like, yes, girlgo but I actually wanted to do acting and singing and I had all these big passions that I wanted to do, but they're like, you need to get an education. They always instilled do what you want to do, but have something to fall back on. Yeah, And I'm so grateful for that now because they asked you, like, when we do certain things, it's like your latest degree that you've got them. Like, Wow, to actually be able to put that I do have a degree. It is important and I didn't think it was a lot of times. But I'm grateful now that they instilled those things in me to have something to fall back on.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm so proud of you. Proud of you. D C. Oh my, he is like, uh Atlanta with standards, it's elevated.
Speaker 2: I love that Atlantas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So of course you would come here and thrive. You made it in d C.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's where I found myself. Actually, I am being from a small town. I went to d C. I'm from a town where we speak to everybody in the morning. If you're it's like a two lane road, not even a highway, a road where we're driving past each other.
Speaker 1: You wave, you don't know who's in the car. Yeah. So like that's where I'm from. So I moved to d C.
Speaker 2: I'm like, good morning, and that like look like I got horns growing out of my head. I'm like, don't speak to each other. So in DC I learned self awareness. I learned to just tunnel vision focus, worry about yourself, don't worry about everybody.
Speaker 1: Coming from yes here where I speak to everybody and everybody speaks back. And it's just common courtesy in southern hospitality to speaking to people. And it was like, why are you talking to me? Literally? What can you do? What do you do? Oh? I question me to I'm like, TI, how are you? How was your day? Good morning? Start let's start there, Like, girl, I had somebod.
Speaker 2: I was at the Hats game last season and a young lady was sitting in front of me, and I guess I just looked like I did something and she turned and she goes, she goes, what do you do? And I said, Hi, I'm Crystal, how are you doing? And she said I'm good. I said, don't ever lead a conversation with that question. Yeah, I said, it's so off putting, and she goes, I'm so sorry. I was like, if I saw you, like the first thing I asked.
Speaker 1: You is what do you do? Yeah, because it's like, oh, people obviously know you, so why do I need to know you? Yeah, that's basically why are you important? Yeah? And that's I was like, Oh, because I'm human, because I'm breathing. Instead of the southerness of you are here, you matter, I'm acknowledgy.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, y'all want to get to know you better? Like, yeah, I see everybody coming up and not really familiar. What's your name? Okay, well how can I how.
Speaker 1: Can I support? How I can check you out?
Speaker 2: There's a way to get around to what I do.
Speaker 1: But I was like, girl, my mama always said, it's not what you say, is how you say it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, that is so true. So you get to LA and everybody's not speaking. What was was that whole already?
Speaker 1: Like I get to LA, everybody's not speaking. They're charging me for bags, They're charging me.
Speaker 4: For a bottle of water like a traditional okay, bottle of waters.
Speaker 1: The parking is like really weird. Where you got to like move your car and all these tickets. The traffic is twenty four hours. I was confused. I was confused. I remember specifically telling my family I have traveled around the world, and I've never been culture shocked until like it was a culture shop. It was very jarring, but I'm not gonna lie. I love the weather, yes, yes, because I moved early, so I love before global warming got crazy. I love the weather and I love the scenery. I was like, oh, it's so beautiful. It is so they had it was like, okay, y'all got me a hello whatever. Yes, but I got there with the intention and Okay, I want to move here just to get big enough to live wherever I want and to be able to work from wherever in the world. I want to specifically be in La so I can book work not in La yea yeah, yeah, like I would love to work in La but book work while I no longer live here. I don't have to be here. I don't have to be in everybody's face like they know me, they know my work. I want to gain notoriety. Yes, and then I'm out wow. Yeah. And then COVID happen. Oh so that was right around that time. Yeah, had you even like booked anything before COVID? Well, I moved in twenty thirteen, so I stayed there, and then COVID happened. And then that's when I left. Okay, And at that time my reps I got. I was like, okay, yeah, well whenever nobody knew when the industry was going to shake back. Yeah, and so they were kind of like, yeah, you're good, you can you can stay there and you don't have to move back. They'll just fly you in there'll put you up. I was again, yes, yes, so I just stay and moved back and then like, now I live in New York. I moved to New York last October. Yes, I remember that. Yeah, how are you adjusting in New York? New York was for me, this girl, can I do it? When I first moved to l A, I originally wanted to move to New York, and I was like, I can't afford it.
Speaker 2: It's well both it is New York, LA more less is cheaper than New York, is more expensive than l A.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow you get less for more, gotcha? Yeah yeah, yeah, but you're willing to make that sacrifice. I mean, I'm good now. God, it's good because here's a lot of sacrifice, no more to make the elevation. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a testimony.
Speaker 1: It's not a sacrifice. It's not beautiful.
Speaker 2: So how how long was it before you got your first yees from the moment you said, Mom, I'm going to LA for real this time.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I got there August first, twenty thirteen. I buked unexpected August twenty fourteen. A year, yeah, a year for that first year year, but I was head down grinding good was.
Speaker 2: What was the drive for that persistence was because I told my mom, I'm going and I'm gonna make this thing happen.
Speaker 1: No, girl, That was my first time like really being somewhere on my own. Like even when I studied abroad, I knew people in the business, but like my lone sister was over there studying abroad with me, so I had friends and stuff there. This was like real deal relocate on my own and my dude was here, my family's here, like my friends are here. I was like, yeah, no, all my stuff is here. It was uncomfortable. It was like excruciating, like skinning peeling uncomfortable. So I was like yeah no. And then I had a friend tell me, you know, if you don't make it, like don't feel you got to stay out there and struggle. You can always come back, and I was like, nah, friend, I'm gonna make it like we're good, we need we don't need a plan B. So that I believed it and new without a doubt that I would gain success there.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: It's really weird because I have like this really great relationship with God and the ancestors. Yeah, and they talked to me like they give me signs and like how you like when the people talking they like example, I wish no scared of hell. I'm like, all right, now, don't do that, but you know, don't do that, don't talk to me but no, So like I'll ask, I'll ask questions and all the answers I'll say, you know, like let me know. And I'm I'm real upfront with God, like don't give me no half sign you know me, like like I need an obvious slap me in the face of time. Yes. So I was like, should I go to l A right because I had planned on going h but then my brandma had a stroke and it was a really bad stroke, and it was it was closer to the time where I was supposed to go, and I was a little nervous and a little scared and not really wanting to go to La like I wanted to go. But then when it got real, I was like looking for a reason or yeah maybe I was just like so I was like, my mom was like going crazy. It was so bad. Yeah, and I was like, you know what, I'm not supposed to go. It's okay. Literally she did at one eddy wow yeah, saying go yes. So I said okay, because I was going to go there for a month and and stay for a month. And this was my plan because my mom said I needed a plan. So the plan was go to LA for a month from June fourteenth to July fourteenth, and then move in October. So I was on probation at the time. In my probation ended in October, so I was like moving ended October first. I was gonna move October first. Originally the plan was to go June first to July first. My brandma had a stroke somewhere in long that time, and then by June fourteen she was good. So I bought the ticket, went June fourteenth to July fourteen. When I got out there, everything just fell in place. I ended up getting a job. Now this hat to be in there like two days while I'm on a one month visit. Wow. I had a round trip ticket. So then I lied and was like, yeah, I live here, but I just got to go home and get my stuff and finish moving. They were like, well, when do you come back? I said, August first. I always asked friends for a buddy pass, they never have them. So I asked three people. All three people said yes, they had a buddy pass for me to go back and on August first. Wow. Because I didn't have enough money to like really buy a teen like not that soon. I needed to plan. Yeah. So I was like, this is crazy. But that's like when God and the answer to speak to me. That's like okay here and I say, you know, well, what is it? I ask questions and that's how they kind of like give me answers or they provide answers to other people. Like someone may say something to me, don't know me from a campaign, but it's the answer to my question. Yeah, And I'm like, Okay, the answers are using them or God is using them, and that's how they talk to me. Wow.
Speaker 2: I love that because I do we hearing God talk to me to Like I asked, how God talk to you you'd be like he was like girl in the list, I'm ticking tired and tell.
Speaker 5: You what I told you. I'm like, all right, it's okay, no judge, you know.
Speaker 2: But I get on his nerves sometimes because like he has to tell me things. I'm the type of person I'll pray for a sign and I'll see it that used to be me, though, like I need another one that used to be and now like he literally when I talk to him now, a journal in my prayer for my prayers and like, oh my God, send me a clear sign on this. I need clarity on this. And like literally within the same day, the person or whatever the situation is that I'm needing guidance, sign reveals it. Whether it's the affirmation I needed or it's a sign to move on from this. I'm like, yeah, it's so clear.
Speaker 1: Now it's so crazy because okay, Like I'll give you a recent example. I did a give back event Saturday, Saturday morning from twelve to four, and there was a pastor there. My friend, a girl who was in my acting class when I was hearing Atlanta twenty twelve, she came. She brought her pastors. She bought another one of her friends and their children, and he spoke a word over me that, so you know, there's a Snowfalls beIN off and it's been in limbo. I've been hearing about yes, we don't know we need that when he was hearing. But then they're like, it's right there on the one yard line. We're gonna try, but we don't know if we shoot it and start shooting January, and I was like, okay, why should in Pea Valley. There have been four projects that I missed that on at the office and couldn't do them, and I'm like, okay, okay, yea. But my reps did tell me like they don't think that the Snowfall spin off is gonna go, because if they're saying it's stuck on the one yard line and you know, they're really trying and it's just they don't know what it is to get to tweet the script, but they're gonna keep trying. And my reps were like, that means it's more than like you, it's not gonna go. So I was like, okay, I'm working really hard and I'm like, okay, we're coming to the end of p Valley. I don't have more work because you know, it's always about the next I don't have more work for twenty twenty five, and so the man and I've been working in the past twenty This is my second day off in the past twenty one days. Wow. So I worked twenty one days straight because on the weekends we had something like I had to go to La for Black Love. Something has to go do something. So my friends past rest in Peace, Brown thank you, and her funeral was yesterday, so it was for me to have my first day off and then I was like, okay, but but God knew the way it was just even a line like I needed a moment I needed, I needed a rest. So to be able to go be with like people I loved dearly was just very beautiful. And then to be able to come do this was like, but it's so crazy because it was literally twenty one days straight that I've worked and then those were my two days off. These are my two days off. Wow. And then like I go back to work tomorrow, I'm working the whole week. We have our market to shoot this weekend, so I'm working the weekend. So it's like, but it was a nice run. But at the event Saturday. The pastor was like, h the girl came. She said, my pastor wanted to tell you something. I said, okay, sure, and he came to talk to me and he has like a slight speech impediment, but it was clear. It was so clear. It was like, don't know him from a campaign, never met him before. He was like, the opportunity that you think you missing out on, God got something bigger. God got something so bigger, the opportunities you think you missing out on. This, God got something so bigger. And told me to tell you not to worry that it's all coming. Everything is lining up and it's so big. It's gonna be bigger than anything you've ever done, and bigger than you can imagine. I was like, Then, Samuel Jackson sent me a DM and said, I'm working on putting us in something. See he's working on something for us. I was like, I was just trying. I was just He said, I know it's been hard, and that's like, I know it's been hard. I know you're feeling restless, yes, but it's because I got off work one morning I had that thing. I got off work at five. I left a lot at five thirty seven I had to beat up at seven am to get the rest of the stuff that we were distributing. The event was from twelve to four that day and he don't know me from candapign that day. Literally got off at five thirty seven, got up at seven, went to the Burlington, had to be there at nine to pick up the other coats. Yeah, I was at the wrong Burlington. So my sister in law had went the night before pulled all the stuff, so I was just going to buy. Yeah, they wouldn't let her use my check. So I was like, okay, I was at the wrong Burlington. Oh no, I shoot to the other one. I left my wallet and the other brothers, oh don't. I said, it's okay because I have my ID and I have the check. The check when I authorized what I had to go to the Wells Fargo. I got the money out, went paid for it, then went to Sam to get the snacks and stuff forgiven for the kids. Checks still wouldn't work. They also went, let me use my mother's membership. Devil was working. So then I go, okay, let's just add me to the membership. It's like this whole thing. I was like, please, y'all listen, you know in the inside, you breaking like you are breaking. I'm already tired and I'm tired, sleepy, exhausted. So I had canceled. I called Tea. I was like, you to cancel the glam because I'm not getting up at six. I'm going to get home at six. I need to go to take an hour and a half hour now. Yeah. So finally they do the membership to check one work. So I had the cash that I got from the bank. I pay, I go outside right like pushing the bugget. I go exactly where I parked the car. I can't find I go. I was like, I can't find a car. I can't. I was literally gonna have a breakdown, a mental breakdown in the parking line, just being overwhelmed. And I was like, it's too much. I was like, guy, it's too much. I can't. I cannot, like I cannot. Yeah, And I had prayed the guy I asked. I was like, God, please help me miss Brown. And I felt it was so selfish a mean to even call on her, because like she has children who are missing her. I was like, please just help me, just help me, Like, please go girl. While I look up I'm literally standing behind the car. Yeah, you just yeah, you were at the moment. I didn't see it though, because I thought I was in the truck that I normally dry, but I was in my brother in them traverse. I was right here, no parts right. I was like, it's too much, what's happening right now? And then I had took a breath and I prayed and I was like, God help me. Yeah, and I look up and I was staying there He's right here. Yeah, okay. I love that though.
Speaker 2: I feel like there is a symbolic of God when we're like frustrated, like what is going on and he's like I'm right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was in the car.
Speaker 2: It could be like sybol like a God, like you're looking for me and I'm right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even in the stress and like you got so much going on even but the beauty was like that is when things like that happen, I know that's the ancestors. I know that's God. So that's the way that God and ancestors talk to me. It is it's like so many little things. So yeah, when the pastor said that he didn't know about my day, Yeah, he didn't know none of that. When I got that d M from Sam Jay, I was like, what Okay, Yes, yes, that is incredible. Yeah, it's it's those things. It's those moments when I know God answers talking to that.
Speaker 2: I love that you mentioned when you moved to LA that you were on probation. What you do well, what she said, got a lot of good redemption story. There's something that we can maybe share to like help young women.
Speaker 1: Amen. Honestly, at the time, this was a time I actually didn't do nothing. Wow. I was in Georgia Southern. I was in Statesboro at Georgia Southern, visiting while I was in college at Valdosta. And I went down there.
Speaker 2: Y'all homecomings be proper. Georgia Southern homecoming. I've been there before.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, I went to Valdosta, what is it, Eagle? My mom went to Georgia Southern. Okay, y'all don't know what. Okay, I year, but my mom went there, and I was going down for my friend's birthday. And we drove down from Valdosta. I had accidentally left my license in Valdosta, so we went out at night. I had a good time. I left my clothes at my homegirl house. She stayed in an apartment complex, and when I got there, there was a fight going on. It did not involve me. Now I'm a fighter, yeah, but normally it would have been me, but I was not all. I was actually innocent. Design So I'd go to try to get my stuff from her house and the police pulled into the parking lot. So I was like, you know what me, let's just go. Were good, So we walk into the car. I just don't deal with police. We walk into the car. They try to stop me, asked my name as my identification. I obviously didn't have anything, so I told him my name and I was like, I ain't got nothing to do with whatever reason y'all are here. We just came from an event. We're trying to leave and go where we're supposed to stay to night at because I was like, forget the closed with bars and clothes from the right. We get in the car. I let her drive because she had her license. She I haven't been drinking too, So she gets in the front seat. I get in the back seat. I shut the car door. They opened the car door and try to pull me out. What yeah, no, So I snatched back and I shut the car door doing that. The second time she opens the car door, she pulls my arm and she slams the car door on my arm. I had a big ass bruce. Yeah, it was bad. So again, I haven't drinking and I was a fighter. Was yeah delivered, Yeah, I'm delivered. I get out the car, and I mean a fighter. I fought the officer, but she had to come in at that point. She did, she did, she did, and so then her partner tried to taste me and my friend stopped it. It was like if your partner can't handle one hundred pound girl. Yeah, So then another male. It was two women officers. Then the mail officer comes and he tries to stop it, and he's like, ma'am, get up, because at that point she was on the house on top of it was a problem, but like you literally this is the childish thing to say, but she literally started it. Yeah. So they were like, we got to take you to jail. Oh my god. So they took me to jail. They did not allow me a phone call because they said I hit the officer. Yeah. Thankfully. My granddaddy was a Bell's bondsman. So when he finally got words but it took a minute because I didn't get a call. So like my friend, she didn't know the call to my phone, so she had to try to call around find people fail for like a week. What yeah, oh my god, Yeah they come up there. Yeah, it was it was a thing. So that's some felonies and stuff from that. But we got a lawyer. They let them know like, hey, she's got great grade, she said, bride, like she's on track to graduate all these things, and they put me on the I play it down. They dropped everything to misdemeanors and I had to do five years probation. Wow. Yeah, so we're early release. We're good behavior early releases. Yeah. So that's why my early release would have been October first, and I could have moved. When I went to August, and I was just so pissed. I was like, Mom, I'm not going to keep letting these people control my life. Like God already aligned things. And my mom was so worried. Sometimes she didn't worry work. And I was like, no, I'm going and I'm just gonna continue to say I'm still in Georgia. I'm gonna continue to pay they money. Because he called these folks once some month, But I'm not not moving because of them. I'm not allowing them control over my life. No, Like I give you enough, but then when you you moved too much, it's like, okay, now I got to put my foot down. Yeah. Yeah, it's like I gave you know what I'm saying. Yeah, that was my why I went to jail in States. Wow, and I ain't been back since. I love it, And look at you now.
Speaker 2: I love that because we all have like done things where we're like not proud of or circumstance having this. This wasn't even your fault, you know, and a lot of us have fallen into that, especially in our community, have our in jail right now for things that they didn't even they not even didn't do or wasn't even responsible for.
Speaker 1: So for you to show your story, thank you for that. Because an officer got no no repercussions, like they said it was not her first time, but white lady, no repercussions. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's scary because that could have been completely different.
Speaker 1: It's scary because I know I'm not the first, and I knew I wouldn't last. Nope, exactly.
Speaker 2: So with your because you do a lot of outreach. Now, do you do anything in the justice system.
Speaker 1: I work sometimes with reform to speak out on about speak out about it. But I haven't like went to visit jails or talked to people who you know, you don't know who hasn't hasn't been in jail. Yeah. No, So I just tell my story and there are people who it resonates with, but I haven't, like actually actively been in jail. I do try to tell my story because I know there are people who mess up and they do these things, and I let them know. Like, look, yeah, when I moved to LA I was on probation. Yeah, I continue to follow the things and not get in trouble. So I did get off early. Yeah, when I moved out there, I was not off. And one mistake doesn't determine your path. Yeah no, it doesn't, Like you can you not your one mistake? Yeah that part? Yeah, yeah, So I tell that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I love that, And I think what I also love about the industry we work in is that we can do things no matter what our past is. Because even I know at the studio, like we have plenty of guys who have felonies, that have done time, but they are very hard working, their integral they're amazing co workers.
Speaker 1: We feel safe. They what y'all need, Like, yeah, they got you. They was big at like hiring people who may have gotten out of jail and just giving them the chance and the opportunity to the same thing. Their second chance is so important, so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And once he hears like, yo, he was liked up, he'll pull him aside, like get to know him better.
Speaker 1: What you need?
Speaker 2: Is everything good? How's your work environment going for you?
Speaker 1: And I love that. Yeah, that's that's the best part.
Speaker 2: Like for me, Like that's one of the perks of being in the entertainment industry because you can go past your pack, go beyond your past, yeah, yeah, and move on.
Speaker 1: And I think people don't talk about the perks enough. I think our entertainment industry gets such a bad rep of like people talking about the darkness and the downside of so much like yeah, and it discourages so many good people who are pure hearted. And it's like there are a lot of great things about this industry is yeah, really is what you're making and what you choose to focus on and put your energy into. But it's a lot of really amazing things in the entertainment industry. It is, it really is.
Speaker 3: Yes, so come on, not a park a set, but a park just so yeah, it'd be like, this is a drug free set, yes, in.
Speaker 1: Do right under God? That's the only drug.
Speaker 6: I like that, right under God. I like, hey bars, yes, I love that. So with your crazy business, First, thank you for even coming. I didn't realize you only had two days off and you spent.
Speaker 1: One of them with me. Thank you because I know how girl, I'm tired right now. You know some things I tell people all the time, right like when it comes to your off days, something's feeding to you and something's draining. So I knew this would be like, yeah, thank you. How are you balancing it personal?
Speaker 2: Because I know sometimes before therapy I struggled with balancing my personal life in this career because I feel like you can pull us in so.
Speaker 1: Many different directions. We're like, oh my gosh, how do you balance it all? Really? Yeah? Like because Atlanta, Atlanta is whenever I'm in Atlanta, it's very very hard to balance because my family is here, my friends are here, like work is here, like there's going out is here, like there's all the things and I out like club out, but like going to the game. Yeah, so it's like but I'm still figuring it out, Like okay, well we're gonna sleep, y'all. Yes, like somebody who's want to date? You know? How's that? Like? Have you had time?
Speaker 2: Girls going?
Speaker 1: It's hard, it's just going. You know, I got my eye on somebody, Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, when the streets got their eye on somebody for you?
Speaker 1: Oh not your friends, not even like eyes where y'all keep them. I'm gonna keep my eyes when I keep them, I keep on y'all keeping on, keeping on.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about because I see every time you have like great platanic guy friends, do you feel like that's gonna have like some type of impact on your person relationship with your man men?
Speaker 1: Because you have such a great relationship with you guys, I feel like it just helps me weed out the bats because I have five older brothers really, so that's my comfort.
Speaker 2: I always see, what's the guy that was at the concept contrat. He's always with you, Yeah, he's always like yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: Always gonna be there for me. Guys, my male friends that are in my life, I see so much and I learned so much from them. It's so easy for me to identify who is not a good man, because the men in my life are great. So I can spot a red flag and be like, is this a red flag that, yeah, we can deal with. Is this a red flag that will go down and this is just a guard red flag, or is this like a real hard stop red flag, Like this is a red flag that's gonna be a constant later on in life. So I feel like they're not an issue. But if they're an issue for someone that's in my life, then you are problem.
Speaker 2: Come on, people my life, they're not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know them and they're not in no violation. Our relationship is strictly platonic. It's not they're not waiting on the waiting in the wings like. It ain't that. It ain't that. So if you're I get it. Some people have insecurities. Talk to me. I will be honest and upfront. We can communicate. And then if you can't get past the communication of my truth and you want to stick to whatever you delusion you've met in your head, sorry, well yeah, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for you because I know for me, like I just started dating a guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, come on, yeah, yes, and it's fresh I think for the last year yep, unless I've been open to dating, okay, And it was really hard for me because who's here for me?
Speaker 2: Like what do you really want? And like we had to like look at this thing through a different lens. Yeah, you know, just being in the positions we're in, and I really feel good about this.
Speaker 1: Okay, I do. It's difficult because it's like, like you said, are you here for me? And do you really like me? Are you and are you going to be supportive? Or every time I have something great coming up, are you going to find some way to argue or thinking about you or like screw up my moment? Yes, it's like I don't do that to you.
Speaker 2: And then don't you like I see how you cheer everybody on? Yeah, so I can imagine how you would be be.
Speaker 1: A man girl. Girl. You know, it's hard. It's hard, especially finding someone who likes you for you and not what you can the light that you can bring to them, right, And it's hard then someone that you can take around other people, well, who's comfortable in the room where it's like you're not going to be a jerk to other people, or you're not going to feel like you need me to hold your hand through the crowd. Like no, I'm not going to forget about you. But we both need to be able to move. Yes, yes, or you it's okay if you don't come, but you can not You can't always not come because sometimes it's a moment where I need you to be there. I need to be able to look out and even if it's not, you know, we ain't got to be up under each other. I need I need that, I need that. Yeah. Yeah, I'm like everywhere I go, but moments where it's like I just need you. I've had the moments where it's like you call someone they're your peace right, So are you going to be my piece? Can this be mutual? Are we able to grow together? Like, because it's a sad thing when you got to stell on the person you both be stun with. It's safe, it's so sad, So we do this together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is so true that I pray that the one you got your eye on it is all that you deserve it seriously, because you deserve that the way you support and like just love on everybody in your orbit.
Speaker 1: You you deserve that back. I'm serious. Yeah, well I better get it because I ain't. If I don't get it one day, listen, I'd be so low. I'd be too.
Speaker 2: That's why I was by myself all this time, because I was like, I can't. Yeah, and so I think now I'm set at a space where I can spot the bullshit.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you know what, that's not for you date. You know, you have to, like because I used to be.
Speaker 2: In the house all the time and my friends, like christ you have to put yourself in the space of to even attract the type of man that you want.
Speaker 1: Where are you going?
Speaker 2: I'm like, nowhere, so he gonna be a door THATBD, he's gonna come to your door. I don't even open the door for the door that I tell them to drop it off and go and I grab when they out the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was like, I don't know that, Like, you gotta get out and be more approachable because like, I'm a type of person I want to make eye cons with people because you know, like I feel like every time I go out it's like trying to just be like yeah, you know, just so I.
Speaker 1: Can just get to where I'm going, and then you don't know who's single, who way, like I don't want don't I don't want.
Speaker 2: To, and then hear you before you know it, it's like, oh you know she talking.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. No. We took a picture. That was it. That's it. I don't even know that man last name. Literally, I don't even know his real name Instagram name.
Speaker 2: Like ye know, people will ship you with somebody real quick, no, real quick, and I'm like, what they did that to me recently with.
Speaker 1: Someone that works in.
Speaker 2: The industry as well that I'm really really good friends. But we're going to work on a project next year together. But like immediately we took a picture together and was like, oh, that's her new bab. I'm like there is no way, like what like where I get it from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I didn't make a comment that I take all my niggs at church, but like so now you take every nig gotta take the church. It's like that, like that's not anybody can get got, and I want everybody to get them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I know if I bring you here, it's gonna help weed out everything because he's gonna starve that spirit. Yeah, it's gonna come out, so you can't you can't play with God. So eventually it's gonna come out. So I have no problem with taking people there. But they were trying to figure it out. Gir They was like, who she brought? Oh, that's got to be him. So then I'm like, what, Well, y'all have no idea. That is not it.
Speaker 1: But I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: You just talked about your gift back, but you also have a foundation called dream above the influence?
Speaker 1: What inspired that? You know? I really think mindset is everything. And there's so many people that may grow up in poverty, I grow up in a neighborhood or an environment that is not conducive to what they want to dream, or have influences that they're not even necessarily negative influences. Yeah they could be around all athletes, but maybe they don't want to be an athlete. They want to be an engineer, you know. And I think it's important that people dream above their influences to know what you want. You know what I'm saying, you don't have to necessarily be and it's not just dreams, but it's personal of who you are as a person. But just what you have in the mindset and the life and the future you want for yourself, that it can be more than what your influences are around you. And then I also thoroughly believe, like I hate when people are like, oh, be around like minded individuals, but maybe you don't like the way that they treat others. Maybe they're not good people. Just because we got to say, just because we both act, don't mean we got to hang out, ma'am. Just because we both hangings don't mean we got to be friends. And it's like no, So I'm trying to more so encourage people to dream about the influence. Don't feel you got to be around like your twins, you know what I'm saying, Like they ain't the people who want and aspire the same things. You don't have to be that circle. No, me and my best friends, none of us do the same thing. And it's not intentional and we're great friends, but we all have our own mind. So it's really to try to encourage individuality, yes, and know that you can still be a part of a whole and be an individual. I love it. I love it. Yes, it's a little hot under these that can make yourself comes. I didn't realize that the Snowfall letter in Christ this is our She's a six rap gift and I just love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: That's fine, okay, So yes, So I want to know all the things I heard that you partnered with the Harris Waltz campaign.
Speaker 1: What was that like? Oh, you know, being a black woman seeing other things that VP Hairs is doing, just to be able to aid in any of that, right, Like, I'm a girl's girl, you are, so I'm all for the support. And it was I got a shout out to Congresswoman Nikima Williams because she is so like, come on girl me and moved she aka yes, but that's my sister for life. So she really kind of kicked things off with making sure that I'm always involved and if there's anything I ever want to be a part of being able to have a seat at the table that I went to Congressional Black Caucus in DC probably about three or four years ago, first time ever, had never heard of it at all. Yeah, it's a time a time. Ever since then, I've just been like, what can I do to help just people know about it and be able to know about their reps and the local level, and the laws and the states were said, just all of these different things that we don't know. They don't really teach us. Don't teach us about a million presidents. That's dead. Hello, but you're not teaching us about what's currently happening right now. True, you hide our actual Black African American history and you fill us up with social studies. That girl is not helping us be social.
Speaker 2: It is not at all at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so true. So no, it's nice to be a part of real history. Yes, right, like this is the history. This is us history that they're going to teach about in classes. So I'm just very enthusiastic. But everybody you vote, regis vote. I did. We did the Pea Valley premiere season two. I did a premier party year and I made it a whole weekend. We did an adult phild day, we registered people to vote. It was a whole thing. So this year, really getting people out to the polls and even early voting, yes, early voter. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I definitely voted because I cannot like I feel like a lot of people like my vote doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Yes it does, like it could have.
Speaker 2: When you look at the first election with Hillary and Donald Trump literally or president on b politic correct that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other president of other president.
Speaker 2: It was small margins that he won by if people had if those people who really wanted to vote for Hillary Clinton had have really gotten up their helms or just take the time.
Speaker 1: It don't take that long. And then when voter suppression and how crazy it is, you had to vote in person, like you if absentee is your last resort, then okay, yeah, but I said go early vote. I say in person because they are really committing voter. It's just a lot going on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just saw they had something on CNN where they're like some fraudulent stuff going on, and I was like, yeah, here.
Speaker 1: We go again, Here we go again, Here we go again. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's I try to tell people all the time when I hear those conversations, like, man, it don't matter. I haven't heard it so much this time around. I think what happened eight years ago with the first that that guy when he was there, it woke people up because I even a lie to you. I went to bed knowing I was gonna wake up to another Clinton being in office.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, yeah, we're good.
Speaker 2: I woke up at like three in the mornings bathroom and the CNN was still on.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait a minute, I ain't nowhere. I was like, ain't I literally I was saying. I was like, this did not happen. It happened.
Speaker 2: So, Gail, I know you you did a lot on the front lines. It didn't turn out how we wanted. You know, we had our host high and we got out there, but you did so much to make sure that people got registered.
Speaker 1: How does that sit with you? You know, you do what you can and you hope and pray for the best, but you can't sit in Okay, we didn't win. So now it's like, okay, this is the result. How do we move forward and how do we not allow ourselves to be buried in the result? Right? Yeah, So I think it's more like, okay, next time, you know, you got to do more. You know, you can only reach those that you can reach. And know that I know I'm not enough. It takes more than just me to change. You know, we're trying to elect the president of the United States. We were trying to literally do the impossible and get a black woman, the first black woman president elected. We fail but you know, we lost the battle. We didn't lose the war. We did not lose a war. So there'll be there'll be more just next time. I know, I got to come bigger and harder, heavier, when more people on the front line, and when when you know, I mean, it's not the end of the world. It's unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world. And I think right now the main thing is to encourage people to do what's best for that mental, to encourage people to not be out here in fear.
Speaker 2: And know that's what I'm worried about, the fear, because yeah, I remember January sixth, when he was in the office before the fear that I felt watching that in real time on seeing now, I was like, what is happening?
Speaker 1: Is this where I live?
Speaker 2: Is this my nation, the great nation of the United States South America? Is this where I used to pledge of allegiance as a child, Like we used to sit there in class every morning and pledge leads to the flag. Is this what I pledge to?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And I will say, like I fear what this will incite, you know, And because I saw what happened then and how they tried to downplay it, and I was like, there's nothing to downplay, you know, So it's not so.
Speaker 1: I think we have to get we have to familiarize ourselves with laws and policies so we can know our rights and protect ourselves. Because with Trump in office, you never know, you don't know, so you just have to prepare to You have to prepare yourself, you know, and move forward and find your peace and your happiness. Like it's not at the end of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure, it's.
Speaker 1: Only four years. It's only four years. Four years we'll be we'll be ready for the next election. And it's like if we don't start preparing now, yes, right now, so twenty twenty eight, Yeah, it'll end up in the same predicaments. So how do we how do we avoid Yeah, we gotta get our game playing together.
Speaker 2: Yep, we are right, we will see because what we do, we continue to rise above were black.
Speaker 1: We now went through way worse, a terrible ass president. Yeah, we don't have Trump, ain't nothing but one of them same other motherfuckers out of the past forty some presidents like right, yeah, yeah, yeah, he wanted it once. So yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are I appreciate your time, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we ken't be positive. We did always did. That's easy. First schedule, we really do. No for when it's genuine. Yeah, it ain't on you, friend, It's seen you so much.
Speaker 2: So seriously, I know you've had a long twenty one day. This is twenty three now. Even when you wasn't working, you were still like busy, so it's not you didn't get your proper rest. So I just I really appreciate you making the time. No, it means the world to me.
Speaker 7: Seriously, Yeah, only hit my mic, but right right.
Speaker 4: You're weome even then well the kids were doing Yeah, it's like the peace and then oh yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Guys. Like always.
Speaker 2: There's so much to unpack from my conversation with Gail. One of the main things I pulled from this chat was how to listen to God's voice. A lot of times we question was that guy or is he hearing what I'm saying? But in this conversation, I know it's your personal relationship with him and a lot of times when you ask him something, he shows you the signs, but are you really paying attention?
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Gail ban for coming through and sharing her incredible story today. Be sure to follow me on all social media platforms at love Christa Renee, and you can also follow us at keep It Positive.
Speaker 1: Sweetie.
Speaker 2: If you want to write into our positive Outcome listener letter, you can send us an email at keep It positivesweety at gmail dot com. Guys in the meantime, in between time you know what to do. Keep it Positive, Sweetie. I'll see you guys next time.