Speaker 1: Smell us now, Lady, Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia Meater Podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on Thursday, January twenty third, and we're live for Meet Eater HQ and Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host, Spencer new Art, joined today by Corin Schneider and Corey Colkins. On today's show, we'll interview Brian Johnson about getting caught in a tornado while fishing. After that we'll play Meat Eater's Prices right. Then we've got a chettikutt about public land deer hunting, followed by Krin educating us about sea otter sex. And finally we'll interview Anna Borgmann about how to be a good customer at the butcher. But first Krinn, Corey, Phil I have come bearing gifts today. This is for each of you. Phil Yours is over mine. Karin karinn Is described that it looks like tartar sauce. That is deer.
Speaker 2: Ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is off of my Idaho buck that I killed this fall. I killed him in early October. Deer are probably like their fattest right at the end of September, beginning of October. Uh, they've they've like put on their winter coat and their winter fat by that point, but they haven't burned it all off by participating in the rut. So I killed this buck, probably at his peak fatness. Phil has a picture of him there. But anyway, I killed this buck, I peeled all that fat off of him, took that home. I rendered it a few days later, got a really nice like amber color fat. That's right. That that was all the fat distilled down to that did in my slow cooker. And then this past weekend, my wife and I made a bunch of products with it. And this that you're getting is what we're going to call our buck bomb. It is the deer tallow, its beds wax, it's yarrow infused oil. The yarrow came from our backyard. And then essential oils. Yeah, so you could apply this stuff to your lips, dry skin, fresh tattoo, your leather boots, leather purses, but whatever you want to put this on. And it's food grade.
Speaker 3: So this is great. So you can eat it.
Speaker 1: Yeah slather, I mean I wouldn't, but yeah, you slather wherever you want.
Speaker 4: Essential oils might give it off a funky taste. Yeah, but it sure smells good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Spencer Crin has done some taste testing already.
Speaker 3: It actually doesn't taste that.
Speaker 1: It tastes just to taste like essential oils.
Speaker 4: I imagine, way to utilize the entire animal.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I kill most of my critters during the rout and they're just like, you know, not a lick of fat on them. But Idaho has an early rifle season, and I've already got that same tag for this coming year. So I'm looking forward to pulling more fat off of that white tail to make more fun little products like this for the gift.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's already held my crack knuckles.
Speaker 1: There you go, very very help.
Speaker 2: Isaac is asking you how many? How many pounds of fat you've got I'm guessing un rendered.
Speaker 1: He's asking, Yeah, I don't know how to describe it in pounds. I wouldn't say ten pounds. I would say, if you took how can I think about this? How many? Probably like, uh, if you if you had like a basketball and you packed that whole thing full of fat.
Speaker 2: Shelby piped in and said eighty one ounces.
Speaker 1: Any one else, Okay, thank you Shelby that that is my wife. I've encouraged her throughout this process to take some really good notes. So we were very satisfied with the project or with the products this time. But next time it's gonna be even better.
Speaker 5: The texture of it seems a bit whip, like it's whipped your life.
Speaker 1: Good, good job caring. Yes, we did whip it, and that makes it go a little bit further. So this this stuff, I don't think it was either not whipped or not whipped for very long. But we did whip a lot of our products. We made lotion, we made butter, we made a body scrub, we made chapstick, a lot of different stuff. Fun way to spend a Sunday.
Speaker 3: You guys make soap.
Speaker 1: We did not make soap quite yet, we thought about it. We did make a candle though with it as well. Yeah nice, So give me a review after you've used this for a little bit on your your skin and your leather. Thank you, No problem. All right, we're gonna get right into the show. Joining us on the line first is Brian Johnson, who is here to talk about getting caught in a tornado while bass fishing in Texas. Brian welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Glad to be here.
Speaker 1: And while we talked to Brian, Phil is going to be playing that video that Brian took that day of fishing in that tornado. First thing tell us about being on the water leading up to the storm.
Speaker 7: So I'd gotten up that morning.
Speaker 8: It was after Christmas, and my kids had gone to visit some other family and I'd stayed back.
Speaker 7: So I thought, Man, I'm gonna go fishing today.
Speaker 8: I knew that there was bad weather in the area, but all of the forecasts that I saw storm that were coming, they were going to be moving north and east. So I thought, as long as I looked back to the south with and there is no bad weather, then I should be fine. So I went out that day and I'd been fishing several hours before this video.
Speaker 7: Actually takes place. I'd fished for several hours to fish.
Speaker 8: As you know as an outdoorsman, crazy things happen in the wildlife when the barometric pressure starts fluctuating.
Speaker 7: And those fish they.
Speaker 8: Were biting every cast, every other cast. So I called my Tony, who's in the boat here with Tony. You gotta get out here. The fishing is amazing. They're going crazy. So we never intended to film a tornado. We're filming a fishing video and the camera was just left on during the tornado.
Speaker 1: It is really crazy footage. You can see it either on this episode on the Media podcast YouTube channel, or I just posted it on my Instagram channel. You'll get to see what it looks like to be on a lake in the middle of a tornado. You knew there was bad weather, but did you know that there was an EF three tornado with one hundred and thirty eight mile per hour winds in the area.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, that's not what it was.
Speaker 8: So I knew that there was bad weather, and I knew that there were potential for storms. When I left that morning, I checked the weather, and then I'm not just checking the weather the whole rest of the time I'm fishing. But I did have a few phone calls from some friends and family saying, hey, you ought to you need to watch out for this, And I said, hey, look, man, if thing's moving north, everything to the south in the middle of that storm, if you look south, it is still sunshining. So I mean, I was just foolish and didn't pay attention. In fact, I went back and looked at a longer version of the video and you can hear.
Speaker 7: My phone going off with the warning.
Speaker 8: So I would tell people, did I know that I was going to get in the middle of a tornado?
Speaker 7: And so I wanted to catch a fish so bad that I stayed out there during that? Absolutely not.
Speaker 8: But I will tell you I thought tornadoes my experiences, they look like the movie Twister. It's this gray, skinny tornado moving across the sky.
Speaker 7: That's not what I saw.
Speaker 8: What I saw and what you see in that film is blue and it's very white. I never thought a tornado would be that wide. That was a very rare occurrence for our area. So when I saw it over there, I thought, this is just a rainstorm. That that's rain over there, and it's going to be moving north, so I'm not even gonna get wet. By the time I knew that I was in a tornado, it was too late.
Speaker 1: And at what point did you realize it was too late? Though, Like once the tornado was on top of you, like.
Speaker 8: Literally when you're watching the video and I've got my rod in my hand right there, I'm still playing on fishing at that point.
Speaker 5: Okay, he lost a hat.
Speaker 8: I'm still fishing. I lost my hat and then the wind started blowing real hard, and that's then it's the first time it's rained all day. Okay, so it starts to rain, and I looked over at my buddy. I don't think that I'm in a tornado till right about there, and then I said, Tony, we are in the tornado. And the reason I knew it wasn't because of the rain or even the wind storms. But you couldn't breathe. Okay, the pressure changed, and I just looked at him. I said, Tony, we're We're in a tornado. We're in it right now.
Speaker 7: And you see me.
Speaker 8: The boat is standing steel because I've got one of those the men coota talon the shallow water anchor that drives down into the ground. This boat during this whole process, it's only a cast away from the from the boat dock. Okay, I'm not in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. I'm w on a two hundred acre reservoir and I can see my truck sitting there. I'm thinking, if anything, I'm so close to safety.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 8: The boat is anchored down and you see me turning around in the video, and they're like, why is he staying there? Because I'm waiting for the anchor to come up. The anchor has it down, so then I start the boat. The anchor comes up, and that's when we drive towards the shore.
Speaker 1: And you said it was hard to breathe being in the tornado. Uh, give us some more description of what is like to be in the middle of a tornado. What could you see here? Feel?
Speaker 7: So you can't see anything? Okay, you can't see anything. We couldn't.
Speaker 8: I couldn't see the bank. I told Tony, I'm gonna go to the bank. I mean, it's just raining and it's just helping us. And if you if you're watching the video, there will come a point in the video if you listen to it, that that everything goes quiet, okay. And during that quiet part, they believe that was was when we went through actually the eye of the storm. And I'll tell you the so the weather reports had been all over. We know for sure it was an e F three, but some of the local reports said that there were gusts up to one hundred and sixty one miles an hour. I will tell you this, It blew my truck off of the levee. It blew my buddy's truck off of the levee. It rolled another truck and on the street right right, probably two hundred yards from where we are, there's the gate.
Speaker 7: There are massive power.
Speaker 8: Line transmission lines that go to the beach that go towards High Island and Bolivar Peninsula, and they were built to withstand hurricane force winds. And they're the big steel ones that are in concrete at the bottom. Those were staffed in half on both sides of where we were.
Speaker 1: My goodness. So again, you can see this video on our YouTube channel. We're on my Instagram. The storm or the video sort of ends after the boat flips over and you guys are hung up in some shallow water. At that point, where did the three of you wind up after the boat got turned over?
Speaker 8: Okay, so when you're watching the video and you see the boat flip over. When the boat flipped over, everyone was under the boat. We're in the reads. It's probably waste deep water and where we're under the boat. So my first thought is I've got to get out from under this boat. So I'm telling you I tried to get out from under the boat and my leg was hung on something. I don't know if it was the throttle or what, but I was stuck and I couldn't get out, and the waves and the wind were just pounding me. So I think for a second, and this is how they how they drive, how they drown and die.
Speaker 7: In the movies. Okay, this is where it's over.
Speaker 8: Because I'm half under and half out and trying to hold on with the waverers splashing in my face. And I'm telling you, at that time, I cried out to Jesus and he gave me a piece and said it's gonna be okay, and somehow everything was calm, and I'm like, okay, this is not how my story ends. God's got a plan and a purpose for me. I need to just calm down. And so I calmed down and I was able to wiggle and wiggle, and then my legs got free and I was able to get out. Now the storm is still the wind is still whipping, so I'm not wanting to get out of the boat. And I'll tell you this, and I believe this with all my heart. I believe that the part of God's plan was that he saved me by flipping that boat, and he saved my friend and he saved my dog because had the boat not flipped, we would have tried to get to the truck. Had we tried to get to the truck, we would have literally blown away.
Speaker 1: Let wow, what was you? What was your dog doing while the storm was moving in?
Speaker 8: So that dog Sam the fisher dog, and I got a lot of comments about how terrible I am for taking that dog fishing.
Speaker 7: You came from going fishing. Okay, so when.
Speaker 8: The storm comes, you see pacing back and forth and running around, and he does that a lot, okay, but so he probably looking back, he knew something was going on. When the boat fle He went and got up under the console and he just hung out until we flipped the boat back over, and then he jumped in our arms and he got back in the boat.
Speaker 7: He was ready to go fishing the same day.
Speaker 1: And what's been the feedback like online from people who have seen the video.
Speaker 8: So a lot of the feedback has been in fact, I took the I took the video down after a while because I got tired of hearing what an idiot that I was.
Speaker 7: And I would agree that that was a poor decision.
Speaker 8: But I told him, I said, you know, some people were excited to see that God spared us and delivered us, and others just wanted to talk about we were an idiot. And I've kind of used it to tell the story. This is what I believe, Okay, and you may want to hear this, you may not. I should have died that day, Okay. It's not a good idea to go fishing in one hundred and sixty miles on our winds. Every thing points to all the destruction in the area. I should have died, but I was in a storm. That was my fault. That's what I tell people. Sometimes get we face storms in life. Sometimes they're your fault, sometimes they're not. This was one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: My fault, but God still delivered me.
Speaker 8: So I've used this storm as an opportunity to tell people that, hey, if you're in a storm of life, cry out to Jesus.
Speaker 7: He can deliver you, even if it's your fault.
Speaker 1: And what's the status of the boats and all the gear that was in the boat?
Speaker 8: So the status of the boat and all the gear was a total loss by the insurance company. But I am and that's mainly because the value of the motor that was. You can't replace the motor. It costs more than everything was worth. And since it went upside down, an insurance company is.
Speaker 7: Not willing to mess with that. But I will tell you this, I went fishing in it this weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know.
Speaker 8: We had this Texas storm with the blizzard and the cold weather, and I tried to go. I couldn't get my boat out in the blizzard, but I did go fishing in some of the local ponds in the blizzard. Now I tell people this, Okay, I fished in a tornado and I fished in a blizzard, and the fish a lot better before a tornado. But I don't recommend either one.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know. Last question for you, Brian, and you are more qualified to answer this than anybody I know. But it's a bad day of fishing really better than a good day of work.
Speaker 7: And I haven't had very many bad days of fishing. And all's well.
Speaker 1: That ends well, okay, all right, So still the jury is still out if a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work, all right. Well, thank you for joining us, Brian. We're glad you got out to say to tell us your story.
Speaker 3: Brian, We're glad you're still here.
Speaker 6: Thank you you guys.
Speaker 1: Ever been caught in any like insane way? I mean I felt like I have, But once I saw this video, it's like, no, I've never been close to something like that before.
Speaker 5: I mean, not like that. I was in a sandstorm in Egypt, but that's about it.
Speaker 1: Is that scary.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that that that bad.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we were outside during it.
Speaker 3: I was outside.
Speaker 1: It had to be like painful.
Speaker 5: I was outside for a while until we got to our vehicle.
Speaker 9: It.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just a new environment.
Speaker 5: It's not like I grew up in a desert, you know, and so just to see how you can, you know, you see it in movies and in shows, and until you're in something like that, you don't realize the various powers of mother nature and and what you can. You know, what was previously calm seem a little bit chaotic.
Speaker 4: Was there a wall like a wave of sand coming towards it like I've seen in photo.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know if scenes like that are more. I'm sure that's actually real and not just film, you know, special effects.
Speaker 3: But no, not like that.
Speaker 5: It was just very windy and sand is all around, so you can see the the kind of how the wind funnels and how the wind spins up because it's it's just kind of like in Brian's video. You see that with the water, you see that with vapor, you can see that bit with sand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just a unique experience.
Speaker 1: Or you got anything that's arrivaled with Brian experienced.
Speaker 4: Man, I can relate to not being able to breathe in the wind. I've hunted in some windy areas that you know, at least looking towards the wind, you can't see anything. You can't breathe, you you know, basically just turn and look the other way to catch your breath and then walk back into the wind. In April two thousand and I was in a suburb of Saint Louis when a EF four went through Saint Louis. I think it really messed up the Lambert Airport in Saint Louis. It was actually the day I met my wife. So as a Montana kid, we were watching a movie in the theater and all of a sudden they're like, you gotta leave the theater. There's a tornado. Like twenty miles away, so you can't stay here.
Speaker 1: Where are they going to send you to at that?
Speaker 4: Well, they all suggested go into the restroom. But my buddy and I went outside and I'm not a smoker, but I went and smoked a cigarette. Yeah, and then I met my wife later that day.
Speaker 1: There you go. Yeah, it all worked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, memorable day.
Speaker 1: All right. Our next segment is a new segment. This is Meat Eater's Prices right.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 2: It comes from Bozeman, Montana. Meetia Radio's most exciting fifteen minutes. It's the price is right. Yay, Cringe Schneider, come on now, damn she's here a Cory Calkins, come on down the contestants on media radios. The price is right. Now, here's your host, Spencer newh Wow, what an intro.
Speaker 1: Phil was trying to downplay how well he would do that. He said, I don't quite have it in me to do it like a professional, but I'll give it my best. And his best was damn good Phil, well done.
Speaker 9: Thanks?
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: This game is really simple. Phil is going to tell you about a product from the Meat Eater universe, and you need to guess its price. The player with the closest answer without going over will be declared the winner. If both players go over, then you'll both be told to try again, and the chant should play along as well, because whoever has the closest answer is going to get a shout out. Phil is going to be watching for that, all right. There are five products for today's show. Take it away, Phil, this is so good.
Speaker 2: Our first product is one night in the Governor's Suite of the Bass Pro Shops Pyramid.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: This two thousand square foot suite is the Shangri Law of Memphis, Tennessee. From the third four balcony, you'll be able to watch customers peruse the world's biggest bass Pro shops below. The room comes with a king bed, two queen beds, three bathrooms, two air tubs, three fireplaces, and a holy stocked kitchen. But no worries if you don't feel like cooking. You're just a stone's throw from Uncle Buck's fish bowling grill.
Speaker 1: And Phil is now showing us some photos of the Pyramid and that governor Suite. Yeah, I hope the guy who asks for honeymoon recommendations is watching again this week, because buddy, I know just the place for you. All right, Corea and Corey, Now you need to guess the price of a one night stay at the Governor Suite of the Bass Pro Shops Pyramid. Man, they have their whiteboards in front of them. They're gonna write down their answer, and our chat is also participating in this. Again, you need to come up with the price of the one night chat.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud of you, but holy crap, I'm not going to be able to sift through going to do my best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so one night at the Governor Suite of the Bass Pro Shops Pyramid. This is the nicest room that they offer. Again, it has a king bed, two queen beds, three bathrooms, two airtubs, three fireplaces, and a fully stocked kitchen.
Speaker 4: Three bathrooms made me change my answer.
Speaker 1: Three bathrooms. He's at an extra thousand dollars just two thousand square feet. Huh you could live here? Yeah, okay, And again, you can't go over. We're doing prices right rooms both. If you both go over, then you'll both be told to try again. Phil, how's our chat doing? Is anybody few close answers?
Speaker 2: And I'm trusting our contestants in the room to not look at which come in time bookmarking give something a uh.
Speaker 1: We're also trusting our live chat to not google the correct answer because our last guests he would tell you that God is watching right now and he will know if you cheat at the meat eater prices. Right, amen, Do both of you have an answer for the price of one night in the Governor's Suite to the bass Pro Shops pyramid. Yes, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corinne saying one thousand, two hundred twenty five dollars and Corey says eight hundred ninety nine. The correct answer is one thousand, five hundred thirty nine dollars. Corinne was three hundred dollars off. She gets the first point. Now, that is one thousand, four hundred ninety nine dollars for the room and forty dollars for the resort feed.
Speaker 2: We have RM in the chat who gets fifteen hundred Hell yeah, RM, he.
Speaker 1: Was only thirty nine dollars off. Well done, RM, fifteen hundred dollars for the best dang sweet at the bass Pro Shops pyramid. If I had, like you know, uh, six people in on this thinguely we'll make a trip to Memphis. Uh huh, three couples will go to Memphis. We're gonna stay in the shangle law of Memphis, Tennessee. It all right, Phil, what is our next item?
Speaker 2: Well, spender, our next item on the docket is a bison cheeseburger from Ted's Montana Grill.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think some of us might know how much.
Speaker 2: Ted turnerunds two million acres of land, making him the third largest land owner in America. What's to do with all that property? Well, he raises bison, of course, and after those buffalo have been slaughtered, some end up at Ted's Montana Grill, which has thirty eight locations from Atlanta to New York City to Bozeman, Montana. The bison cheeseburger comes with a slice of cheddar lettuce, onion, tomato, and side of fries.
Speaker 1: That's right, Phil, And the Bozeman location has three point four stars on Yelp, which is the same as the Taco Bell on Main Street. All right, Koeen and Corey, what's that bison cheeseburger cost?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 4: Does it come with that coke?
Speaker 9: And?
Speaker 10: Maybe?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: No? Just the men, that's just their uh they're dulled up photo on their website. It's very pretty. It's got a little toothpick with an American flag. It's got uh what it looks like, I don't know, roop your float or chocolate milkshake in the background. Uh huh, A giant helping of fries and then a bottle of coke. And you need to tell me what the price of that bison cheeseburger from Ted's Montana Grill is.
Speaker 4: That ain't no smash burger.
Speaker 1: Phil You ever eating that Ted's Montana Grill?
Speaker 2: I have several times. I gotta say, it's not one of my go to places, but I don't think I've ever had a bad meal.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about you, Corey, what's your review of Ted's Montana Grill.
Speaker 4: I've been there a couple times, and.
Speaker 1: You're a native Montana so it must be like your favorite place. It has Montana in the name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true, isn't I guided Ted Turner fishing once?
Speaker 1: Oh tell us about that? Oh he's a great guy. H what kind of tipped you?
Speaker 4: But I definitely, uh, well, fat one. I mean it's just kind of all part of the program. It was it was it was a fat one about like that cheeseburger.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yeah, good. Corin You ever been to Ted's Montana Gris.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a couple of years. I think I've been two or three times over the past few years. Maybe that Bison berger went up in priced all my.
Speaker 4: Number twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Again, we're looking at the price of a Bison cheeseburger from Ted's Montana Grill. It comes with a slice of cheddar lettuce, onion tomato, and a side of fries. Are both of you ready?
Speaker 2: Ready?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Wow, I'm not convinced there wasn't some cheating going on here. But we have Corinne saying twenty dollars and ninety nine cents and Corey says twenty one dollars. It's probably incredible. The thing is both of you are too high, so you're going to have to try again. Both of you will come up with a new answer. You know that it is less than twenty dollars and ninety nine cents.
Speaker 2: I didn't prep this sound, but if if I had, I would have done the two about.
Speaker 1: There you go, Yeah, we don't even need the sound effect. There is the sound effect. So again, both of our players were too high. We know that the correct answer is less than twenty dollars and ninety nine cents. Are you ready with your new answers? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Krinn saying eighteen ninety nine and Corey says nineteen. It's gotta be up there.
Speaker 4: It doesn't have to go far to get.
Speaker 1: His me The correct answer is nineteen dollars. Karen was a penny off. Well done, Krin, She takes her second point, and Andrew Bryant was also.
Speaker 2: We had six or seven people.
Speaker 1: Guest, Expenser, are you googling this stuff?
Speaker 5: We should have known that that Ted is a classy gentleman, and he wouldn't really be pricing things with ninety nine cents.
Speaker 1: Sure his many nineteen dollars.
Speaker 5: Marketing plus yeah Latin numbers.
Speaker 1: It'd probably be hid an extra ninety nine cents if you wanted, like an extra piece of cheese on there or something like that.
Speaker 2: Tickle.
Speaker 1: So Corinne has already taken two points, Corey, you've got some catching up still.
Speaker 5: Again, I'm pitched at trivia, so I might as well be good at some kind of.
Speaker 3: Game around here.
Speaker 1: That that bison cheeseburger from Ted's Montana Grill cost nineteen dollars. Phil, what's our next item.
Speaker 2: Well, Spencer, our next item is ice fishing. Oh nope, yep, Verry our ice fishing gear from Facebook marketplace. Shane from billing said he hates the cold, so he's ready to give up this damn sport. Hane from his ice fishing lot includes a Capella's collapsible hut, ice crews, two ice fishing poles, two rod holders, ice scoops and an ice shovel on when we start that music again, and the Cobra Strike Master gas powered iceager with an eight inch blade. Everything has been stored in Climbate control garage and is like new, but it hasn't been used in eight years.
Speaker 1: And Shane's other Facebook market place listings include a nineteen seventy six Harley and a two thousand and nine Kawasaki. He says he'll accept this dollar offer for the ice fishing gear or obo which is or best offer? So what does Shane want for this ice fishing equipment?
Speaker 5: Is that Cabbella's tent insulated like an esk.
Speaker 1: It does not appear to be insulated again. The stuff that he's offering is a Cabbella's collapsible hut ice crews, two ice fishing poles which I couldn't see the brand on them, two rod holders, two ice scoops, and a shovel with a gas powered ice auger that has an eight inch blade. I found this on Facebook marketplace yesterday. And if someone is interested in all this gear, you just hop on the billings Facebook marketplace and you'll find you'll find Shane's listings.
Speaker 4: What'd you say about the augur what was wrong with it?
Speaker 1: Well, he said in his listing it said the carburetor might need to be cleaned. Nothing. He didn't say anything was wrong with it. It's a gas powered ice auger with an eight inch blade, and everything has been stored in a climate controlled garage, which is a big deal. Phil is showing us photos of all of these products thus far. Uh huh. He showed us some pictures of the bass Pro Shops Pyramid Governor Suite. Then he showed us a picture of Ted's Bison cheeseburger. And now we're looking at Shane's listing from Facebook marketplace of ice fishing gear or both of you ready, and he's hard up to get rid of it. It sounds like he's listed multiple things on marketplace right now. He must be looking to, you know, clear out the garage a little. And he said that he's looking for this amount of money or best offer. So think about that when you're coming up with your answer. Is everybody ready? He's sick of the cold. That's right. I went to his Facebook profile to look at it afterwards, and no, he's from Billings.
Speaker 7: No, no, but.
Speaker 1: Maybe somebody.
Speaker 5: I think he was from someplace else, he said, moved to Billings.
Speaker 1: He said, Shane to it.
Speaker 3: He got too cold.
Speaker 1: He wants to He shared the size profile. Someone said, Shane, why are you get rid of that stuff? And he said, because I hate the cold. Both. Are you ready? Billings is usually warmer. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Karn saying five hundred and fifty nine dollars and Corey says two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: Is going to get this one right? Because I don't I don't really know.
Speaker 1: The correct answer. I do know it's three hundred and fifty dollars. Cory takes that point. Well done, Corey. It is two to one going in to our fourth item we had.
Speaker 2: That's up three people guests three fifty. We had Ben and Joey.
Speaker 1: Well done, Max, Ben and Joey got a dead nuts.
Speaker 4: He'll take two fifty to get the hell out of it.
Speaker 1: That's right, I think if you offered him to fifty, head over to Facebook marketplace. Are your search to billings and you can get Shane's ice fishing gear. Bill what's our next? Sie them up forbid.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm pressing a lot of buttons here, well, Spencer. Our next item is a cattle ranch in northern Kansas. This eight hundred and sixty five acre property is seven hundred acres of pasture, one hundred and sixty acres of tillable land, and five acres of food plots. The ranch has deer, turkeys, pheasant, quail, squirrels, and rabbits. Cattle not included, but it does come with two tower blinds at a three thousand pound gravity feeder, guaranteeing you'll kill a big giant white tail buck every fall. If Spencer wins the lottery, he'll tell meat eater, smell you lator, and is going to go buy this property.
Speaker 1: But I don't play the lottery, So you listeners are stuck with me. Now I found this listing through whitetail properties, and now you need to guess that price.
Speaker 3: For eight hundred and fifty acres in Kansas.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred and sixty five acres, And how that breaks down is it's seven hundred acres of pasture, one hundred and sixty acres of tillable, and five acres of food plots. Plus it comes with a couple deer towers and a gravity feeder. Phil is showing you some photos and that's a trail camp photo from that property on November twenty fourth. We've got a triple main beam bruiser who is helping himself to some corn.
Speaker 4: It looks like got him sol stuck in Montana.
Speaker 1: Land prices eight hundred and sixty five acres in northern Kansas. I mean, see a lot of writing on these whiteboards. This is our fourth item with Krinn where to get this right, she would win this week's game of Price is right?
Speaker 9: This is.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm really low.
Speaker 1: Ohah, just keep it. Maybe Corey went really high and then you'll just win by default.
Speaker 4: That buck keeps the price high though.
Speaker 1: Phil's showing us again some aerial photos of the property. Plus a trail cam photo of a big giant white tail buck. Are both of you ready, yep? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Wow, we have Cory saying one dollar and Corinne says eight million dollars. This is probably the largest spread I imagined we'll ever have without DNA game of meat eater prices right, and eight million dollar difference in their answers. The correct answer is two point four million, making Corey our winner of the fourth item. That's two thousand and seven hundred dollars per acre, which is actually kind of cheap. Two seven hundred dollars in Northern Kansas.
Speaker 3: Definitely in Montana.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's okay. Grinn eight million, Hey, I bet he would take that offer if you said, hey, I'll give you eight million for this I origin. I guess one point seven.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 5: Can you lease that out for a lot of money to Yeah?
Speaker 1: You could, yeah, North northern Kansas. That is that's premier whitetail country. You'd have a line of customers if you said, I want to lease this property out. All right, it all comes down to our last item. Oh and Phil, did we have anybody who got yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, two we had Gus and then apologies to the person I just had on screen, but you all saw his name, so they.
Speaker 1: Got it right on the nose.
Speaker 2: They got two point four. Yeah, two people said two point four.
Speaker 1: Well done Gus and the other guy on screen. Perhaps if they worked for Whitetail Properties, they're the broker, all right. It all comes down to this last item. Phil tell us about the fifth thing forbid Well.
Speaker 2: The last item on our docket today is a scoop of minnos from HR one stop in Wabe, South Dakota. Right here it is. HR one Stop is a gas station with a hardware store attached, making it a pillar of the Wabe community, population four hundred and seventy five. They're all inclusive shopping experience, offers fishing, tackle, groceries, hot stuff, pizza, video, lottery, liquor, and of course bait. It's Spenser's favorite place to buy minnos and he's purchased thousands from them over the years.
Speaker 1: That's right. And I called them yesterday and I asked some high school cashier what a scoop of minnos is currently selling for? Now, you need to guess that price. We're going to go two cents on this, So if you think it's nine ninety nine, you're gonna write down nine to ninety nine or your answer again, one scoop of minnows from the place that I have bought more bait from than anywhere else on the planet. The HR one stop in Waba, South Dakota, and Phil is showing us a generic stock image of a scoop of minos plus that actual gas station. All right, do you players have your answer? And do we have two decimal places in your answer? Okay, Corey, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 7: Not great?
Speaker 4: I've never bought minnos?
Speaker 1: Okay, Kurin, how do you feel about your an? I could be off Corey the rare fishing guide who's never purchased a scoop of minnows. Nope, it all comes down to this. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Krin saying three dollars and seventy nine cents, and Corey says fourteen dollars and one cent.
Speaker 3: Embarrassingly low.
Speaker 1: You were too high. So you're going to come up with another answer, and then that's how we're going to declare winner. I love your answer of fourteen dollars, Corey. Is it arrested development Phil where it's she's like, what is what is it?
Speaker 2: Banana?
Speaker 9: Cast?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the vibe I got from Corey's answer there, what is what is a banana? Caused? So fu mean man's answer of three seventy nine is that what you had three seventy nine was too high. Both of our players are going to come up with another answer, and hopefully after this round we can declare ourselves a winner. Yeah, are the two of you ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Wow, we have Coy whatag a dollar eighty eight and Karen saying a dollar eighty nine. Corey is going to have to hope that he got it dead nuts to be the winner, and he did not. The correct answer is three dollars and forty six cents, making karenn our well earned. Corenn, your first answer, you were only like thirty cents off, so you were you had it narrowed down.
Speaker 3: This is the most fun thing.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you that this is so.
Speaker 1: Fun, Thank you, thank you. You can go claim your prizes from hr upstairs. They've actually got the scoop of minos a cattle ranch. I already got all the fishing gear from Shane, and then we'll have about you one night stay, a new car and a brand new car. That's right, all right, Thanks everybody for playing along, and remember help control the pet population. Have your pets, Spade and Newter. All right, Phil, Let's take a break for some listener feedback. What's the chat?
Speaker 2: Once again? I feel like I always have some sort of disclaimer every time the listener feedback comes up.
Speaker 1: Hold on who was closest?
Speaker 2: On our last answer, we had Owen and Bradley, both guests three twenty five. I think that was the closest. There might have been one or another one who slipped in there, but Bradley and Owen said, uh, we have a few questions, do a legitimate one. First, sad Squad was asking, being brand new to an area, what would you consider to be a better use of time scouting public lands are searching for private landowners willing to let you hunt.
Speaker 1: I would say it depends on what you're hunting and where you're at, Sad Squatch. If you are looking to hunt white tail deer and you live in the Golden Triangle of white tails in Illinois, you're gonna probably knock on one hundred doors and get told no one hundred times. That's just the reality of like looking to hunt a specific animal in a place that's known for it. But if maybe you know, you're in eastern Colorado and you're looking to hunt white tails there, or if you even you know, lower your expectations to just small game or turkeys, you're gonna have a lot better odds of getting private land permission there. So I would say it depends where you're at, how coveted is the thing that you're looking to hunt in that area, and how much public land is there. The best answer, and give you sad squatch is do both of those things. The best hunters they have a plant ABCDE and to pull that off, it's probably going to be a mix of private and a mix of public. Corey Kuran anything to add, Yeah, you were spot on. I mean, if you're targeting bull elk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, knocking on doors isn't going to get you anywhere about ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: So scout hard. There you go, Phil anything else?
Speaker 2: Great? John is asking about your opinion about how close it is acceptable to set up next to someone while ice fishing. You know, it's a lot He noticed a lot of tight clusters of people on flats chasing lake truck.
Speaker 1: I would say, it depends what everyone else is doing. If there's like, you know, already twelve guys in the area, I think you can be the thirteenth and just don't be the dude who set up the closest out of all thirteen of those guys. But if there's only one ice fishing shack on this whole little lake or this stretch of lake, you best not be within, like, you know, fifty yards of them.
Speaker 4: That's what I would say, Go explore, keep your disc since sure that drives me nuts, But I guess I'm not familiar with lakes that are just you know, overpopulated with anglers, So that's a tough one. I guess if it's really crowded.
Speaker 1: Grin, what would you do? You'd be cool setting up next to those.
Speaker 5: No anger to give others privacy and maintain privacy for myself a little bit of space, so just you know, show some decency and yeah, try to try to space out of filler.
Speaker 1: We still on air. Looks like it froze.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it might have just frozen for the monitor, okay here, but yes, we are very much on air. Okay, any any other chat a few more, but let's we'll hit him at the end, and please keep submitting questions and we'll try to get him at the end of the show.
Speaker 1: All right. Our next segment is from Chester Floyd. This is chettiquet.
Speaker 2: C t t Q E t t E. Find out bud means to me? C g t Q you E t t E take care of give me.
Speaker 1: This week, Chester is answering a listener's question about deer hunting a buddy spot on public land. Take it away, chet.
Speaker 10: Hello, everybody, my name's Chester Floyd and I'm coming at you from Wisconsin this week. This week's Chettikit though, comes to us from a guy who does not want to be named.
Speaker 6: He writes, I have an etiquette question.
Speaker 10: My friend and I have been deer hunting on a massive public land area in Ontario, Canada called Crownland for the.
Speaker 6: Past thirteen years.
Speaker 10: It's taken us years to find good hunting spots.
Speaker 6: Excuse me.
Speaker 10: I hunt there throughout the bow season, the gun season, and the black powder season that's in December. My friend, on the other hand, only comes up for the first three days of the gun hunt.
Speaker 6: He baits and.
Speaker 10: Typically shoots the first legal deer that shows up, which is fine by me.
Speaker 6: I have no problem with that.
Speaker 10: Here's the dilemma, though, for the past three years, my bud has captured a monster buck on his camera right before the gun hunt.
Speaker 6: However, he always shoots the first deer.
Speaker 10: That comes in, never giving himself a real chance at taking this big buck. So, in my opinion, it's a miracle this buck has survived this long. So I asked my friend if I could bait, set up my camera and hunt his spot for the upcoming Muzzloder hunt in December to try and bag this buck. His response was, I think I'm going to go buy a bow, which was essentially telling me no quite Frankly, I was shocked by his answer, and now I'm unsure what to do. Everyone I've talked to, including my wife, says that I should just go after this buck. So I'm considering hunting the spot without telling him. If I get the buck, I'll say it wandered.
Speaker 6: Into my area. He'd never know. Does this make me a bad person? Is this bad?
Speaker 2: Check?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 6: I what you know? So with the share public lan spot as.
Speaker 10: We know it, if your buddy cannot see think your friendship's meant to be terminated at the thought of it.
Speaker 6: Common sense, there's a lot.
Speaker 10: Of it, although I hate to sibate if it's legal in your stray.
Speaker 6: So come December season not in time, grab your mouse a load or you'll be fine.
Speaker 10: Climb the tree and shoot straight and take your wife on a day y.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 10: So I don't think that's bad etiquette if you go and hunt that spot. I also don't think it's bad of your buddy to shoot any deer he wants. He can do that, but I think it's pretty poor friendship if you will if he doesn't, let you go and try and get after this big buck and kill him, because like if it were me, I'd be just as excited if my buddy shot this big buck. It's a team thing here, you know. So those are my thoughts.
Speaker 1: Wow, well done, Chester, that was great the whistling bit, isn't you additioned it to CHETNICKI do you guys have anything to add to this listener's dilemma?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm with Chester. Just serenaded me to sleep during that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd most importantly take your wife on a date during hunting season. That that'll help every situation you're in.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: Our next segment is let's talk about sex.
Speaker 2: You don't want to talk about geese, want to talk about Max? You wanna talk about justice and the.
Speaker 1: Fulcan box and the clone wing for blackcap Chico tease.
Speaker 2: I like to hear Steed say the word of conden tea because occasionally you don't want to talk about sex.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let's talk about sex. Is where krin enlightens us on animal kingdom mating. This week she's here to educate us on sea otters. Take it away, Karin, Well here we go.
Speaker 3: Well, SE's the mood, Phil.
Speaker 1: What about the lighting out there?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 1: We're ready?
Speaker 3: Okay? Seatter.
Speaker 5: Sex is aggressive, sometimes leads to death, and involves.
Speaker 3: Here's a new word for everyone, Oh dook. Celegnia.
Speaker 5: It is odoxelegnia, from the Greek words for with the teeth and lust describes arousal through biting or being bitten. In this case, the special spot is the nose, so we'll call that fixation nasophilia.
Speaker 3: Sea otters, the largest.
Speaker 5: Member of the weasel family, breed throughout the year. Typically, multiple females live within a male's territory, and when a sexually mature female of about three to fifteen years of age is receptive, the male will meet mate with her. However, males are also known to force mating regardless of whether a female is receptive. He approaches from behind, grabs her with his paws, and clamps down hard on her.
Speaker 3: Nose with his teeth.
Speaker 1: Justike, Corey.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Sometimes her head underwater. The bite can result in deep cuts and torn away flesh. If her nose swells from infection and prevents her from eating, she could starve to death. Oh, my friend and fellow meat eater, colleague and queen seaotter hunter Heather Duville of the Tlingtt tribe in southeast Alaska, has harvested hundreds of seatters in her time. So she told me that some of the male seatters she's harvested present with broken penis bones, likely from fighting or from mating. So take that like Spencer, you guys. Heathers also documented male seatters with large pink scars on their noses or half bitten off noses too. She told me that she once saw a pair wrestling in the water and she thinks they were trying to mate, but were also fight and then she shot both of them oh. When she brought them into the boat, she found that the male had tons of bruises and bitemarks, whereas the female had none. So she thinks that females will kick male seatter ass just the same go gals.
Speaker 3: Seatter.
Speaker 5: Mating occurs a year round, and females can enter the estress period multiple times in a year. Some female seaters will pair bond with a male for a few days and mate a number of times during this period. Others will mate with a few different males during their estress cycle. Copulation is aquatic and prolonged. The pair will spin underwater for up to thirty minutes until mating is finished and the male releases the female. As the affair tends to be quite vigorous, females can drown or die from the physical tr Shockingly, in some cases, males have been known to continue holding on to a female long after she's expired, meaning died, and Heather has also seen this behavior with her own eyes. Station lasts between four to nine months and mom gives birth to a single pup, which she weans for about six months before it's on its own, and pups can't dive underwater until they get their adult fur. And here's a fun fact about seatter fur. By the way, when Steve first heard this fact from Heather, he just couldn't stop telling anyone and everyone as though he were the first person to know this.
Speaker 3: So here goes.
Speaker 5: Seatter fur is the most dense of any mammal. And there are more fur strands and hairs in a single square inch of their skin than there are on an entire German shepherd dog, about eight hundred and fifty thousand to one million hairs.
Speaker 3: And I am actually wearing.
Speaker 5: A beautiful sea otter scarf that is made by Heather.
Speaker 3: It is the warmest thing I've ever worn. It's so soft. It's made from seatters.
Speaker 5: She's harvested on her own, tanned stitch this together, and she's got a little online shop called Coastal Fur and Leather.
Speaker 3: And uh yeah, so from our sea art or Queen love right here.
Speaker 1: What occasion are you going to wear your sea otter scarf for besides media? Radio?
Speaker 5: Oh goodness, I wear this all the time just because it's comfortable. I'll wear it at home if I'm cold, I'll wear it out. I mean, it's I've never it's at home.
Speaker 1: That's lugasy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your scarf, absolutely, thanks Heather, love you.
Speaker 1: The most amazing thing I heard in there was they breed throughout the year. That is incredibly rare in the animal kingdom. Most most animals have like a two week period where they're doing their mating. Maybe it happens twice a year. But to hear that sea otters were just continuous breeders, that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: I'm there's I think it also depends. I have to read another note from Heather because she helped me with this, that there's also Northern seatters and southernotters. They give birth year round, she says, but the timing of births vary by location. So I wonder if that's impacted by if mating tends to happen more during a certain period of time during the year, but it can happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most most animals, they time they're breeding around when they're going to drop their young to be most advantageous for their young to survive. Right, So, like a fawn popping out in late spring, that's the best time of the year for a fawn to be on the ground. What that would tell me about sea otters if they just continuously. They just kick ass in any environment. It doesn't matter if it's summer or winter. They just like got good odds are raising that pop. That's cool. Thank you for Krian for that. Uh you bet? Moving on. This is our last interview of the day. Joining us on the line next is butcher and a borgman. She's here to talk to us about how to be a good customer when taking meat to a processor. Anna, welcome to the show.
Speaker 9: Hi, how are you guys?
Speaker 1: We're doing good. Anna, you went to culinary school. Does everyone at culinary school learn how to butcher animals?
Speaker 9: I think so. I think it's sort of like a sort of like a survey class in college, like a butchery one oh one, because every chef should know how to break down, like, you know, a side of pork or a chicken or whatever. So yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone goes to culinary school takes a butchery class or some sort of meat cutting class at some point.
Speaker 1: Okay, and how many animals? How many animals in your life have you butchered?
Speaker 9: In the thousands for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was trying to do the math. I was like, we would do six to seven beef in a day or you know, fifteen to twenty lambs, and that would just be day after day after day, and that's years and years of doing that, So definitely in the thousands. And then like when I started doing slaughter, I've skinned and gutted thousands of animals, So yeah, it's up there.
Speaker 1: And of those thousands of animals, wild then domestic that you've butchered, which is the best and the worst to work with.
Speaker 9: The bigger the better, I think, So like I've got a bison that I have to finish cutting today, and that's really fun. Smaller animals, you know, I like doing slaughter with lambs, and it's super easy to cut deer, but just the smaller they are, the harder it is to really get anything substantial off of that. And uh, it's just it's kind of tedious. So you know, you're cutting like backstrap steaks and they're teeny teeny tiny, whereas when you cut an alk or a bison or something, it looks like a steak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got some general butchery questions for you, and then we're going to talk about how to be a good customer at the processor, vacuum seal or paper.
Speaker 9: Wrap, paper rapp. I'd say paper wrap. It's I didn't used to think that. I used to think back seal, but after you know, working at a shop where we really only did back seal, it kind of became more of a pain. It's just it seems easy when you start doing it, and then you know, you go through your freezer and you've got a bunch of broken seals and a bunch of freezer burned meat. So I like the paper app The only downside is that you can't see what's in there. I try to be really specific about labeling, like exactly how many steaks are in there or whatever it is, so it's no guessing. But payper app, I think, just holds up better in the freezer.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know that's going to change when I do at home. Can you tell when a buck or a bowl has been running?
Speaker 9: You know? Kind of? But it seems pretty rare to me, and I feel feel like, from what I've heard from people, I should notice it more. But really, if anything, it just smells maybe a little bit more like an animal, you know. But I have found that hanging stuff. We have a cooler, which is really fun because we get to hang stuff instead of just cutting it. Immediately and kind of see how that changes the meat quality and the taste of stuff. And I think if you notice anything in a ruddy buck or bowl, if you can hang it for a couple of days, that seems to mellow it out a little bit. But I don't ever notice anything too crazy.
Speaker 1: Can you explain what a dark cutter is? And have you ever seen a dark cutter in Big Game?
Speaker 9: I tend to think that game is going to be a dark cutter already. It's going to lean that way anyway, because it's already in a pretty high stress environment, whereas like a beef has a pretty chill life for the most part, right and the only time it might be really stressed out is potentially right before slaughter. Hopefully not, but that can happen. And basically a dark cutter is just it's it happens with lactic acid production right before the animal dies, and so that can mean either right when it's killed or right before it if it's running or it gets hit and it ends up running right before it dies, the lactic acid will use itself up really fast, and so then when it's dead, there isn't enough lactic acid to actually break the meat. Down the way you'd want it to, and that's how you'll end up with a dark cutter. But I think with game they're pretty active and high stress or at least high strung anyway, so it's pretty rare that I notice anything like really really obvious.
Speaker 1: I like that perspective. That's a good way to think about dealing with antelope and elk and deer. What are some strange things that you've recovered in an animal's meat or organs.
Speaker 9: I've seen some. I did an elk that was real mangy, and the lymph nodes should be about the size of like a dime or a quarter, and these things were about the size of my hand, Like they were huge. Yeah, and it, I mean the meat was fine. It was, you know, a little bit tough, but I think it ate fine. It was really We did it into burger just to be sure. But I also, if you look at Steve's Instagram, I texted him a picture of a thing I found in I think it was like the front shoulder of a deer that we were cutting for someone, And it's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It was this little tumor cyst looking thing that had a bunch of little like yellow balls in it. It was bizarre, and I know I was trying to remember today what he decided it was. I know he texted it to some people like helfle Finger and whatnot. But it ended up we think it's like a a keratin cyst sort of, so it looked like it had hair in it, And yeah, it was weird. It didn't smell like anything. I smelled it right when I found it, because I've seen plenty of cysts and abscesses and everything, and I'd never seen anything like that, So it seems like it was pretty harmless. But it was a weird thing to pull out that meat for sure.
Speaker 5: Hey Anna Carr in here, I look forward to meeting you in person one day soon it'll happen. Just wondering about whether anyone asks for a different kind of cut, like different kinds of cuts, if they're angling to make like Eastern cuisine, because I was talking to my friend, a local chef in town, Linda Huang, who has Hummingbird's Kitchen here, and she was explaining to me how Chinese.
Speaker 3: Butchers will cut pork belly.
Speaker 5: Kind of from the top of the back down to the belly and whereas here she's run into a lot of people who will butcher kind of from the head end of the animal to the tail end of the animal. Just wondering if if there's if you do things differently, if you understand, you know, what's behind that.
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 9: I think I'm that's something that's really interesting to me that I don't know a ton about and I'd love to learn more about it. But I think of butchering as especially in different areas of the world. It basically you butcher the way you're going to end up cooking something, right, So it's like if you follow the cuisine, you can kind of trace backwards to how they cut the animal. So it's like, you know, they're not in Japan or China or any you know, anywhere, Thailand, whatever. It's like they're not necessarily eating porterhouse steaks. That's a pretty America or British, right, you know, cut of meat. And I try to I try to explain this to people when I'm teaching butchery, because people don't want to mess up their animal. But unless you're you know, mistreating the meat and it's spoiling or it's dirty, there's really no way to totally screw it up. You're going to end up with something that you can cook in some way. And maybe that is more of a you know, Asian and fire dish or South American or African or something. But yeah, that's really really interesting to me, and I'd like to learn more about that because it just it gives you more freedom in terms of butchering. But it's definitely the butchering practices are driven by the cuisine of the area.
Speaker 3: Totally makes sense.
Speaker 1: And every hunter is terrified that when they take meat to a processor, it's just going to get thrown into a big pile and they're not actually going to get their own deer back. Is that a justified fear.
Speaker 9: To an extent. I don't want to throw any other processes under the bus, and I don't know, you know, I've only been to a few of them to see what they do. But basically, logistically, I think as far as grind goes, that would be the place where you might not get your specific meatback because a lot of places they're using grinders that are fifty pound grinders, and so to utilize that grinder and they're huge industrial stuffer, they need a lot of meat in there, and you're not necessarily going to get fifty pounds of grind off your deer, right, so it only makes sense for them to put a few animals in there as far as like steaks and other cuts. I would assume that you're getting it back. That's not hard to do. You know. People are just even in a high production facility, they're going through animal by animal, and I would assume that, just like we did at the shot that I first worked at, you put it in a lug, it's labeled with a name, and it goes straight back to the person. The only I mean, really, I think the only reason that people potentially don't get stuff back is really just a matter of necessity for grinding at scale. But we have really small equipment, so ours is like our batches. The smallest we'll do is like fifteen pounds, and we can do really specific small batched stuff for flavors like sausages and whatnot. But yeah, I can see how people you just got to get it all done and you have a huge grinder and you can't put ten pounds of meat in there.
Speaker 1: So okay, we want to know how we can be a better customer when we bring meat to a processor to the butcher, but first tell us what are some things that bad customers do.
Speaker 9: I'd say my least favorite thing is people who don't have a plan for what they're gonna do with their animal. And I mean, like, we get calls all the time day of and like, I just shot, you know whatever, And that's fine. I'm totally fine with that. It's when it's been four or five days, especially during like archery season, and I get calls from people and they're like, I have this antelope dough. You know, it's in the back of my truck and it's been ninety degrees for five days, and that like I'm tempted to say no, but I also don't want that animal to go to waste. But man, that stuff is it's frustrating because yeah, it's just you're not going to get the highest quality meat and it's a bummer. But besides that, dirty animals, you know, tendons cut on the back legs. That kind of drives Men's just for my ease of butchering, and it's nice when I can hang it out a hook and cut it off there or off the rail instead of having to do it on a table. And my biggest pet peeve, i'd say, is like any tiny little scraps of meat in game bags. So I'll dump out the game bag and it's just like a disaster of like quarter and golf ball sized pieces of meat that are also covered in dirt. And there's really not a lot I can do with that.
Speaker 7: And you know, you got it.
Speaker 9: You're like, why would you put that in a game bag? But I don't know. I get you know, you want to get it all out of there. But you know, think about yourself too, even if you're the one that's going to cut it, think ahead a little bit and think, am I going to be able to do anything with this?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 9: Or should I just you can keep it and give it to your dogs, I guess.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the easier we can make your job, the better product we're going to get back each time. I imagine, all right, what are some things that good customers do?
Speaker 9: Good customers keep things clean? And you know, I know, stuff happens and you drop it or there's just there's only so much you can do. And I'm I'm very aware of that, but I've seen some crazy stuff. So keeping things as clean as you can cutting off those back legs. If you're gonna put it in a game bag, get those back legs off. There is a joint in there. I know it's kind of hard to find sometimes, but just so you're not shoving a hoof with hide on it in a game bag with meat that you tried to keep clean, because that kind of defeats the point sometimes. And I'd say just having a plan, you know, like either reaching out to someone ahead of time, whether it's me or someone else that's going to process it for you, or just having a plan for how to deal with it, because you know, by the time that animal is dead, you only have so much time to deal with it and to be respectful to the animal and to get a bunch of really good meat for your family.
Speaker 1: So all good notes, All right, Anna, tell us about your new endeavor, chaos farms.
Speaker 9: Chaos farms, Well, it started as a joke on my first day, was my boyfriend. We went to the hof Brow and had a couple of cold smokes and came up with chaos farms. And now it's the thing. So we have We've got goats, weed eating goats that eventually they're so cute. I'm I love these boys. We're going to rent them out for we can. That's kind of why we got them to see if they would eat the invasive weeds around here. Yeah, and they do a great job, So hopefully get more of those and kind of do some fire suppression work around here. And then we've got a ton of chickens. We sell eggs, and then we're doing game processing and mobile slaughter, and eventually we're gonna have a shot built so we can do custom exemp processing also for livestock.
Speaker 1: So it's a great name and a great logo. And I took my elk to Anna this year and she did a phenomenal job. I'm thrilled with what I got back, and in fact, we ate some steaks last night. All right, Anna, Well, thank you for making us better customers at the Butcher, and thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thanks Anna, thanks for having me.
Speaker 9: Bye, guys, Bye.
Speaker 1: All right. That brings us to the end of this week's show. Phil, let's get some final listener feedback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a quick comment we had to comment from someone during the sex segment saying, my best friend's wife is a world class marine biologist. She wrote an Oprah Book Club listed book called Sex in the Sea are intimate connection with kinky crustaceans, sex changing fish, romantic lobsters. Another salty erotica of the deep.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's a fantastic title.
Speaker 1: Okay, there it is.
Speaker 2: So in case you guys want some more of what Kren dished out today, Sex.
Speaker 1: In the Sea very fitting cover for that book. Thank you for that, Thank you that bit of info.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frederick says we need to start having more talks about what the crew has cooked recently. We haven't done a metior menu in a while, but I thought the Q and A would be a good time if you guys want to share anything fun or interesting.
Speaker 4: Man, right now, I'm solo dadding. So it's burgers, tacos, uh huh, and a couple frozen pizzas here and there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean just the classics.
Speaker 4: Last night we had a mule deer tacos night before Elk Burger's. So I haven't really tested my culinary expertise in a while, which is sad. But so I'm gonna have to break out some fine cuts. I've got a lot of my spring black Bear that I kick last year that I still need to eat before this spring season starts, so I'm excited for that.
Speaker 1: Coran, anything exciting coming out of your kitchen.
Speaker 5: I am actually fixing to make today for dinner elk shank, which I actually have off the bone and pork belly. I was going to do like a Chinese five spice breaks in a pressure cooker for a while. So it's soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, five spice.
Speaker 3: And some sugar and yeah over rice. O ye.
Speaker 1: Last night I made chiso veggie soup. It's very excited about that recipe. Tomorrow night I'm making a Cajun pasta that's using some venison sausage, and then Saturday making asbuco. Oh yeah, so with your elk leg with my elk shanks that Anna was cut up for me, the very exciting.
Speaker 3: I love how you plan daily.
Speaker 1: I do well. I want to make like one grocery run a week. Yeah, I want to make one grocery run a week. And to do that, I need to think about what I'm cooking each night. So I usually said out, Okay, these are the seven things that we're eating this week.
Speaker 4: Did Anna cut the shanks into discs?
Speaker 1: She did? Oh yeah, it's yeah, super convenient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be great.
Speaker 1: But what else you got?
Speaker 2: Uh, let's see what does the crew do? John asking about fishing on causeways that cross state borders. You guys ever.
Speaker 1: Run into this before causeway? What's a causeway? Is that like a bridge?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: I think it's a.
Speaker 1: I don't know what a causeway is, John, I'm sorry, I'm not of not of a lot of help.
Speaker 5: There is a track road or railway on the upper point of here. Just take take a pic okay that picure?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like it's it's like sort of a levy sort of thing. What do we do about fishing one that crosses state borders? I think the most important thing, John, is just knowing the regulations. A lot of states will have some sort of a agreement about like you can fish on this part of this stream despite it like maybe crossing into this other state. So what do we do about fishing the causeways that? I just think, know your regulations and make sure you're legal, and if you need to have a specific license license for a specific state, make sure you got that. Because game Morgans know those sort of gray areas where people may be breaking a law, not that they're out there like trying to trap you. But you'll see more folks in those areas get tickets than than other sorts of spots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certainly know where you are on X whatever. Yes, I found myself fishing into Canada on accident.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't think about it, international traveler. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Fished my way up this creek and then realize I'm probably in Canada. Yeah, fish back, looked at the map. Turned out Yeah, it was like half a mile.
Speaker 5: Lucky to our friends of board patrolled, they call you, they.
Speaker 1: Call them green pants up there, something like that. You're lucky the green pants didn't come you down.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's cool.
Speaker 1: Now fall What else you got?
Speaker 2: I'll do one more? What is the crew's favorite content to film? I guess this would mostly be a Spencer and Corey question, But Kriin, you've been on a few shoots.
Speaker 1: Maybe you could tell over what I've made the last few years. But a lot of games. I love Meat Eater Trivia, I love the meat Pole thing, the price is right thing that was new today. I just love creating games like that. I hope that for our listeners or viewers that I'm doing something that's interesting to you. As well as informative. So I just want to be entertaining and hope that you learn something along the way. That's my favorite content.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I've been on a few episodes with Steve and I don't know, just the rawness and the realness of being out in the woods filming a hunt that we do the way we do it.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 4: It's a big team effort, obviously, but it's always amazing how it turns out in the end. So our hats off to our post production team before and after putting it out there for everybody to watch.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of fun to be a part of KRINN. What are your favorite podcasts to record?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think I have the most fun when we go out into the field and we try to see what we can film outside. We've done a couple of outside outdoor podcast episodes, so that that's been the most fun. You know, in an environment you don't really control, so you're not inside because most of the time we are inside in an environment we can control.
Speaker 3: So it's fun for me to do something a little different every now and then.
Speaker 1: Fail anything else.
Speaker 2: I have a sharpie's asking, Phil, can you cook? The answer is a sort of kind of I mean honestly, like in Meat Eater Trivia, I know most of the cooking questions, like even even some that like Brody and you, Honist and Steve just just can't think of we.
Speaker 1: Worked in a kitchen.
Speaker 7: I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've waited tables, I've worked in a kitchen, and and you know, I try to. I try to pull my weight around the house. I make I make dinner every every every now and then. But you know, I don't want to juice myself up too much in case I actually do play trivia someday and I just tank my cooking questions. So the answer officially is not really good answer. Thanks. Yeah, I think that'll do it. Spencer.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you Phil, Thank you chat. We'll see everyone back here in one week. Thanks for watching this from listen