Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish on First.
Speaker 2: Alrighty Fish on First Live here on the Fish on First podcast, presented by Jetski Rentals of South Florida. We are part of the Foul Territory Network. Eli Susman here the founder of FLF. I'm joined by Kevin Barrall, Alex Krutchick as well. Checking in at the ends of an eventful weekend for the marl and taking two out of three against the Angels, moving back above five hundred, but a couple of major storylines that transcends even the current season record or top of mind here, so we're going to dive into that, and as always we're happy to engage with you guys in the live chat, whether on YouTube or Twitter, Facebook. Thanks to everybody that's tuning in there or listening on our podcast feed wherever you get your pods. Afterwards, as I said, Marlins win the series. Some late breaking news towards the end of this game, as we'll get into with Kyle Stavars, that's still a bit of a developing story. So I wanted to start off with an emphasis on Sandy right here in the middle game of this series. Sandy another scoreless outing. That's three in a row for him, twenty straight scoreless innings, and most importantly with this game, tipping his hat to the Lone Depot Park crowd as he becomes the Marlins franchises all time leader and nings pitched Kevin. Do you've covered at least one, if not two or three of his separate records setting games this year he keeps breaking different Marlins franchise records. Thanks to his longevity, He's continued excellence. So this most recent one was one that's about as important as any of the others. For a guy that takes pride in being such a workhorse and an innings either he has now eaten more innings than any Marlins pitcher ever. Just dive into this particular game and how he's been lately, the fact that this this season is now turning into not a cy young caliber one, but he is as he gets to these records, as he gets into his thirties, he's still performing at an extremely high level for this team.
Speaker 1: What a bad year to be Ricky in Alaska. Right. You have this wall at the Marlins Museum with every record on it. Next year it's gonna be gone, because Sandy's probably gonna break the record for most most starts with franchise history. He's like four or five away from breaking Ricky's record. So uh yeah, this only cements that Sandy's probably the best pitcher of Marlins franchise history. He prides himself on going as deep into games as he can. He goes out there assuming he's gonna pitch all nine innings, and you know, in a game like today, where there's innings limits and pitt starters don't go deep into games, what Sandy does is very valuable to the Marlins and is what's made him valuable regardless of even when he has struggled. You know, in seasons past, like last season, there's a reason why team still wanted Sandy regardless of the struggles, because he could go six, seven, maybe even eight innings as a start. And he showed that in the month of June that it was probably one of his better months of his career. I got to say, because it was back to back to back seven innings starts and going deep into games and just the way he does it. And I think he's now completed seven innings. I want to say seven or eight times this season, he's gone into the eighth of couple had a complete game shutout. I still believe that's the only complete game shutout in baseball this season. So I also think this you could have made the case this is probably something he could have broken all last year, assuming he would have pitched in twenty twenty four. But regardless, no, Sandy continues to do his thing and every fifth day. You look at Sandy as a guy who not only resets your bullpen, but if you're on a losing streak or in a bad stretch of baseball, he's kind of the guy that's gonna flip things around and kind of get the Marlins on the right side. And we saw that last night with Sandy who Martins were what losers are four straight and he comes in and you know, kind of ends a losing streak. And unfortunately, I think I was talking to Nate about this yesterday at the ballpark. If he hadn't given up the home or to yard on, I think it would have been one had one of the best eras in like a certain stretch of the season, and it's unfortunate, But at the end of the day, you know what, Sandy's here and he's gonna be super crucial to this Marvels team that last time I checked was two and a half games back of the third wildcard spot. And you know, for a team that content, you know, wants to contend, he's the right guy to have out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean cretching the way that. I don't think it was much of a conversation heading up to the trade deadline this year, but we know that Martins are listening on almost all their players with the exception of Sandy, and the timing of this works out pretty well, just like last year where last year he really turned it on towards the second half of the season and now really validating their their decision to hold onto him, to take him off the table to they're treating him differently than they they have all these other Marlin stars.
Speaker 3: Of the past.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've you've gone through it so much throughout this Marvelin's history of guys that when they get close to the ends of their club control, they get traded because the Marlins aren't going to resign them via free agency. I think with Sandy that would still be a massive surprise if they kept him beyond his current deal, But as he gets closer to the end of it, like it's isn't it refreshing just to see them kind of value the actual both the combination of the on field value and the intangible stuff that he has as this like franchise legend and having that outweigh the actual business of baseball. And it's one of the rare instances where they don't operate like a small market team or they make an exception for a guy like this. I know that the fan base as a whole have kind of been yearning for them to treat somebody like that, to hold them, to give them the respect that they deserve after being around so long and being so productive.
Speaker 4: It's true, and it's one of those weird things where like a lot of the fans, not a lot of the like real hardcore fans, like the ones that take the time to listen to shows like this, but a lot of like the casual peripheral fans that are just kind of around the Miami market love to say that, like, you know, I don't watch the Marlins because they always get rid of their good guys. They never hold on to guys. You have a guy right here who's been here for almost a decade, who has been pretty tremendous almost every year he's been here, and the Marlins have done a good job in holding on to him, even though there's been two or three deadline cycles where they absolutely could have gotten rid of them, especially this time around. And I do think the Marlins get The Marlins deserve a lot of the criticism they get for a lot of the guys that they've given up, but this is one where I do think that they deserve the credit for doing exactly what the fan base has been asking them to do for about twenty years now, So I think they deserve a little bit of credit for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me see if I can pull up a larger list of all the records that he now holds. And this isn't even a complete one at this time, depending on how much you want to dive into it, but he had well, this is him setting the franchise record for total endings pitch. So he's five clear from Alasco now and he has nearly two months left to continue to build that lead before I'm going to take a closer look at this, but this is going to be one of the records that's going to be closest to unbreakable with the way that the Marlins handle their pitchers and the way that pitchers themselves are used, like he is such an anomaly this year in particular, like this year he is head and shoulders ahead of everybody else in baseball in ending's pitch. Guys are just on shorter leashes these days due to injury concerns, and uh, this is let's see, we'll see how long he has to add to this, because he does have next year under club control as well via a club option. If the Marlins are going to be willing to pay him twenty one million dollars next season, and he's certain his market value is certainly going to be higher than that, so he's going to be worth it either to them or to another team. And then that's still the question of how much next season gets played. Of course, even so, like this is a number just to put him into person active, the closest active Marlin to Sandy in total Ennings pitch as a Marlin is Yuri Perez. He's not even at three hundred like Sandy has quadrupled anybody else that's an active pitcher on this team. It just shows you, like how much different he is than everybody else. How they hold him in this different category based on his high upside, whereas all these other pieces seem kind of almost interchangeable. But he's he's just different. He's just built different, as people say, and he's the perfect example of that where even if he's not the best pitcher in the league, he is still immensely valuable and for a team that has had a lot of unproven guys not only in the rotation but in the bullpen this year, like him eating those innings has been super valuable. Yeah, Kevin, if you were to guess, is like, are we ever going to see a Marlin's pitcher reached that kind of specifically when it comes to these nings pitch, like, is anybody gonna sniff this record again? Just to show the leaderboard, Nobody had really come close since in Alaska in recent years, like Dontrelle Willis pitched before in Alaska. Did Josh Johnson that was almost fifteen years go when he finished his Marlin.
Speaker 3: Sender, he didn't really come close. And then you're looking at a J.
Speaker 2: Burnett who was hundreds and hundreds of vennings below. Is anybody gonna touch this record? And if so, like who is maybe a long shot candidate to get there someday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, nobody's touching this record. I think it's as simple as that. If there were someone to do it, I guess Yuri maybe. I guess you gotta look at Yuri. Maybe Thomas White. I don't know. I just don't think it's gonna get touched. And it's very again, it's very rare to see guys go deep into games in this era of baseball. It's just how it is. The best of the best don't do it unless their pitch count is in a very good spot. Sandy Sandy averages about one hundred something pitches a game, Like that's just how it is, and that's how he's built. That's how he builds himself up during the offseason, and the Marlins allow that. You know, he's the one guy that they treat differently. I think that's what you mentioned, Like this is this is a guy that guys Yuri Press was throwing a perfect game and he got taken out into eighth inning. Sandy a Contra could get up six runs and he's in the seventh inning and he's finishing the seventh inning. That's just how it is, and I just don't see anyone breaking that record.
Speaker 4: Because it's not just that he goes deep into games, it's that people don't talk about us a lot because he's still recently off Tommy John surgery. But he's durable, like other than the Tommy John here, he starts pretty much every game. Like he's not like the Edward Cabrera type, so Max Meyer types, where like Edward Cabrera is getting a blister like every other month, like Sandy makes every single start he's supposed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the other table I'm meant to well the tweet I should say they've meant to pull up before where he's the only Marlins win a cy young of course, and he already had the strikeout record from earlier this year. He had the quality starts record from a few weeks ago. And he's the winningest pitcher in Lone Depot Park history as well by a few that's another record he said earlier this year. So he's some chance to build some breathing room right there. Let's touch on some other things from the series before we get to tours and the ripple effects of that. This is a series where like the Marlins head as much pressure to win as we've seen in a while, because this is an Angels seem that the worst record in baseball entering this series, they had sold for a very rare exception in their franchise's history. They'd actually gotten rid of talents at the deadline, and they just came in with Mike Trout, Zachnetto, and a whole bunch of question marks up and down the roster. So they win that first game, they eke it out four to three. But this is the stat that really like blew me away, the fact that by run differential, this was the most dominant Marvelin series of the entire season. They outscored the Angels by fifteen runs over the course of the three games, which is something that we just have not seen them do at any point this season. Even in series where they've swept the opposition, it's never been by that big margin. But both the Saturday and Sunday games were comfortable, so aside from Sandy and aside from Stowers. So we'll get to in a moment, Kevin, just what stood out about this series? You know, not ideal would have been sweeping, but still overall, taking care of business and really flexing their must those the last two games.
Speaker 1: I want to go to that first game, and I know we're gonna talk about the lost, but I think this is a conversation that needs to be had because I appreciate aggressive base running, I really do. I think the Marlins should emphasize that that there's a reason to do that. But sometimes aggressiveness leads to losing games and outs on the bases, and we've seen that twice. We saw that twice this week. The Marlins got in the ninth inning two outs in Atlanta, out at third because you go for a double steal minding with two strikes. And I know this is a big conversation we had, and I know Croutchak has thoughts on it too, and we could talk about that, but that should not happen. Then on Friday, bottom of the ninth Javier Sonoja with the double and it's not very far double, like, it's pretty close, like it goes into foul territory. Blake Lolli is waiving, what was it? Leo Himan is home when Jose Siria already had the ball in his hand, it was motioning to throw and he got being like it was close. They reviewed it, you could have even made the case that it was gonna be safe, but unfortunately to call it at the moment was that out And usually in those cases it's very tough to overturn something like that, and they're work going to overturn it. Marlins lost twice this week that this happens. I want to say that the Marlins are third or fourth in Baseball in outs at home plate this season, and I think they're at the top of baseball and outs at third or outs on the bases in general. So you appreciate the aggressiveness, but aggressiveness sometimes leads to losses. And they lost two games this week where that happens. And you know what, they probably would have lost those games regardless if who knows what could have happened, But you don't lose them on the basis you lose them with Javier Sonoha grounding out to short or or whoever was up a droll Mac was up flying out to right, Like that's how you lose the game. Not at the bases.
Speaker 4: I've never seen Blake Lawley put up a stop sign. I would like to issue a challenge to any of our listeners to send us a video in which Blake Lollly is putting up a stop sign for a runner going around third. I do like the send. I have a problem with stupid base running everyone. There was no mistake made. Blake Lolly and Leojanmennez thought that he could be the throat, and so he sent him. I have more of an issue with guys making stupid outs, like a couple of weeks so, I don't remember the exact details of it, but Jacob Marcia a couple of times this year has gotten thrown out on the bases because he like hesitates going to the next base or realizes that he's in a pickle and then goes to a base that he shouldn't be going to. And he's not the only guy. It's just that's the most recent example I could think of. That's the kind of stuff that I hate seeing. I don't really mind seeing Leohan Meenez. That was overly aggressive, maybe more aggressive than what I would prefer, but it's not stupid. It's kind of the same thing with the double steal that ended the game in Atlanta. It was a well executed still, they both went as soon as they both got good jumps. It was an aggressive call with hobbies Sooha to play. He doesn't have a whole lot of power, and with the guys that were on base, you think, okay, if these guys are in motion when the ball is hit, both of them are scoring if they're in motion and one of them is already standing on third because we executed the double steel properly. I don't mind stuff like that. I'm cool with the aggressive sens. I'm cool with the aggresive steels as long as you are sure in what you are doing and not just getting picked off on the bases because you made a mental error.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys saw this moment in the game today. It was in the very first inning when X was he started to play on second base and he ends up scoring on the error that the Angels made, one of several that they made over the course of the series. But Blake it started as Blake lollly and I wasn't planning on bringing it up, but now that we got on this topic here, it is just for people that may not have seen about this was X running from second to third, the ball gets thrown into the outfield and Blake Laly is like doing everything you possibly can, so like tell X, go home, go home, go and it takes him like three seconds.
Speaker 3: I actually take notice.
Speaker 2: So it was in a moment like that that I'm wondering was he really was there any sort of hesitation there going on in his minds, like knowing that Lolly had gotten several other guys thrown at at home, that maybe he was second guessing it a little bit.
Speaker 3: But I just love I love how close he gets.
Speaker 2: He gets like almost into X's back pocket, pointing him to score home.
Speaker 3: And he gets in.
Speaker 2: It was pretty awkward in that he doesn't even slide coming into home as well. I don't think he was like totally aware of the circumstances there.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: That's a guy that I wouldn't say the hot seat doesn't write the right way to put it, because I don't think the Marlins are gonna make any mid season coaching changes at this point, But realistically that's something that I'm sure they're gonna have to evaluate after the season when it comes to that, given the number of bouts they've made. Even though Clayton McCullough has been pretty vehement in his support of the decisions that they make. But that's what he has to be in public, you know, that's how he has to present it, even though I think as everybody watching from home recognizes that it's it feels like it's done more harm than good when it comes to pushing guys in those situations and understanding just all aspects of the play. Like in the case of the Amendez one, I think that one more so had to do with understanding the defender in that case where Jose Siri, even though he's not playing center field in that situation, he has been an elite defensive outfielder in the past, and he does have a great arm. He is probably the better for a guy that was playing left field in that situation. He's about as strong an arm as he get from a left fielder. So he made a great throw. He's a candidate to make that kind of throw, just because you have to know they have to know that in your scouting report that if he's in the game in that situation, it's not going to be your typical play from a left fielder on that position of the field. You have to make those mental adjustments and that decision at the time. So that was one where I can see both sides of that equation. I think it's to me that wasn't like an egregious mistake, but to me I would have aired on the opposite side, just when you take everything into consideration, which is with the third base coach has to do in that spot.
Speaker 3: So yeah, as we we'll see.
Speaker 2: It's a lot easier to harp on that stuff when it's a one run loss in that situation. That was a game where the Marlins left a lot of runners on base, so their offense really flexed the muscles on Saturday and Sunday in terms of catching in those runs. And on Friday they had plenty of opportunities to do so as well, and just didn't convert at the same clip as they had before. So one more time, just pulling up this seriously. Three games against the Angels, Mike Tratt did hit his usual home run against the Marlins. He's been in the limited exposure to the Marlins through the years, he's been in peak form, and in the first game of the series is when he hit a home run that ended up making the difference at the very end for the Angels to win that one. But otherwise, yeah, pretty emphatic victories, Sandy's starting the Saturday game, and on Sunday they just got offense from absolutely everywhere on this team, multi hit games up and down this lineup, so that it wasn't really too much of a question even on a day when Ryan Gusto was starting and he knew who won't go deep into the game. Once it got to that fifth ending is on, the Marlins really blew it open right there. Something I'll bring up is that both Otto Lopez and Xavier Edwards were in pretty quiet but significant slump setting into this one. They'd really both fallen off, going back to like the losing streak that began a month ago. Throughout most of July and early August, those guys hadn't been doing much, but both of them really turned it on this weekends. In Saturday, in particular, both of them I clicked it on with multied games and then again here on Sunday, Ex's birthday. Coincidentally, he is another big game going on right there. So, Kevin, as we've looked at it, the Martins rely a lot on those guys, and they shouldn't take it for granted the fact that they've been as productive as they've been all season long. They've been one of the better middle infields in all baseball in twenty twenty six, and the depth behind them is kind of shaky, right, It's Maximo o Costa, it's Jared Serena. Like, if those guys go down with for an injury of any length of time, then it's a pretty steep drop off in quality. And so for this recent stretch where those guys haven't been hitting the way that we were accustomed to throughout the entire first half of the year, it's isn't it kind of just refreshing to see them break out in this way to understand, like to understand that you need those guys to be awesome the rest of the season for this team to actually stay in the race, and at least for these last few days they kind of looks like the best versions of themselves again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially with Otto. Otto really had struggled coming out of the All Star breaking ops under six hundred, just not looking like himself, and honestly, you can make the case that's probably the thing with his finger where he got hit that maybe is affecting him a little bit. But something to keep in mind too, is the depth behind them has somewhat performed. Like we need to talk about Griffin knin Man, Like this guy has come out of it, Like after the All Star break, this dude has probably been the best player on the Marlins. Like there's no other way to put it. He has this season a one WRC plus. I know it's fifty one games, but dude, I mean, twelve homers twenty six RBIs like he's walking over ten percent of the time he's he's been really good. He's been really really good, even they're into losing streak. If there's one guy to talk about during that losing streak, it was Griff Two homers today, a hardest hit ball this season for anymore, And I think I was at one to fifteen was there. I mean, he's really good. He's really good. There's another way to put a Casey finally seems like he's starting to get things going a little bit. Had a pretty nice series Mac. I know it's been up and down offensively, but yeah, you need Xceinado that that doesn't change anything. You know, those guys are the ones that set you up in that lineup, and with hours out now the pressures on them to perform so and I think you're gonna be seeing I think Xit that cleanup spot has actually been pretty good. I think Auto is probably gonna start leading off or hitting second in this lineup. But I gotta say, ever since the leam Hicks tray, they've really missed him. I think they really have missed him. And I'm looking at his numbers on the rays. He had a grand Slam. He He's put up great at bats like they missed Liam Kix and I think they missed him a lot right now too. But you can never predict injuries. So uh yeah, Griff and Cohenen has been a stud and they're really gonna need Xsinado now for the rest of the season, especially they they're trying to make this playoff.
Speaker 2: Put Yeah, go ahead, credit tell us more about Griff in his beautiful eyes.
Speaker 4: Man Griffin. Griffin and his eyes have both played the most amount of games since they've been in Miami, and I don't think that's coincidence that this is the longest continuous, uninterrupted stretch that he's played in Miami. And it's also the best that he's done. Like he impressed us the first season that he was in the majors. He had a very respectful, respectable stat line, a lot of good underlying number. He struck out a lot, but when he got the bat on the ball, it looked great. And he dealt injuries. He dealt with a lot of injury. He dealt with the dislocated shoulder last year, right when everyone was talking about how great he was in April. This year, he's doing great. He had a stint on the il earlier in the air, but then he's been tremendous and it's the longest continuous stretch that he's played here, and I think that that's helped him a lot, like to not be up and down, up and down, that he's just been able to be a starter, just go out there and play every day or almost every day, and have consistent reps and consistent playing time. The other thing that I've noticed just in the stat cast is he's pulling the ball so much more than any other year. And I don't know if that's a byproduct of the things he's working on or if that's something that he's doing on purpose to maximize his power, like he pulled that ball today, But that's like the biggest difference that I'm seeing between this year and every other year on stat Caster, just the amount that he's pulling.
Speaker 3: The ball, pulling it more.
Speaker 2: Ground ball rate is a little bit lower. So some final words on him before going to break it. It really is sometimes as simple when it comes to the results, the fact that first two years, fifty four combined games and the Major is only homeward five times five homers in fifty four games. This year it's almost an identical sample as those two years combined. It's fifty two games and it's twelve homer so more than twice as many. And it's the byproduct of that of pulling the ball more often. He's a guy that has power to all fields. He was a minor league home run champ a few years ago. The exit vlows that we're seeing today, that we've seen this year, those have always been there. He's always really stood out from that regard where he doesn't have to get his a swing on a ball to hit it out. So to me, it was kind of a surprising profile to him his first couple of years in the big league that I was expecting more slug but also some more strikeouts and some maybe some more questionable plate discipline, and overall he has overachieved when it comes to plate discipline, and now the power has arrived.
Speaker 3: Now he's hitting for.
Speaker 2: Power exactly the way as was advertised, And all of a sudden, you have a guy that is knocking on the door of being an elite hitter, at least against right handed pitching. You know, maybe it's a step too far to say, like he should be playing every single day, but at least when he has the platoon advantage, which is the vast majority of games, like he's a beast. And so he shows again today. The numbers scoot a tiny bit because at the end of today's game, hitting a home run and off a position player something that we haven't taken into account too much, but I think that speaks to the fact that a uniquely dominant weekend from the Marlins that they faced the position player. They haven't done very much of that, even when they've had some occasional success over the past two seasons. So we're going to head to break head to hear from jets Ki Rentals of South Florida, and on the other side, we'll talk all about the first base situation. Now that Kyle Stowers is out is out, who could potentially come up and fill the void and all the ripple effects of that. Losing stours in the midst of his hottest stretch of the season, So don't go anywhere. Stick with us friends at Jetski Rentals of South Florida. They presents all of our podcast efforts here on fish on First, Miami's best jet ski in boat adventures. Jetski Rentals love South Florida. With six jetski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats, there's something for every style and every budget. Ride Jetski's Riding from the Downtown Skyline in Ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based on to book called three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or check them out online at SF jet Ski Rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code phish on first and that gets to a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again that's three oh five nine nine to oh two one nine two, or online at SF jet Ski rentals dot Com. Welcome back to fof Live diving into all things Kyle Stowers at this moment, fifth ending of today's game, he essentially to me it was a hit that really put the game away, put them up by eight runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, a two run single on during the weekends where he went six for eleven at the play two walks like this is as good as we've seen stours all year long.
Speaker 3: And as he's rounding.
Speaker 2: First base or I should say yeah, thinking about heading towards seconds, he feels something in his hamstring and very visibly frustrated with that, reaches forward in the moment one of those situations where it was instantly apparent that something was wrong. He's able to walk off under his own power, but he didn't leave the game immediately, and the Marlins just waiting on some additional tests to conclude the severity of the issue. I've been around a while at this point. As Kevin's still with us, maybe we hear from Alex Krotchick again later. I've been around for a while at this point when it comes to situations like this, and whenever it's such an obvious acute pain in somebody's hamstring, it's going to be an eyel sense. It's a question about the severity, whether it's a minimum ten days, whether it's a number of weeks, whether it's something more than that. Kevin, this is a guy that had a hamstring injury right at the start of the year, Like he got the year off to a very ominous start for the Marlins, where at the end of spring training he heard his right ham string. Didn't come back until late April, and when he did, it took a while to get going. So now this is the other side, and it comes during a time where he's really everything had turned on, So you touched on it just a moment ago. This comes right in the aftermath of them trading Liam Hicks, so that probably makes his absence, losing to hours is all that more painful, given that they don't have that obvious next man up anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's tough because Sowers finally looked like it was turning the corner and you're starting to get some of that production they really need, especially at the top of the top of the order. He was leading off. He let off i think almost every game of the series, and since he's really come back or since you all started breaking, they've tried to sort things up, try to get some runs on the board early, and Stowars has been that guy. So now you ask yourself, Hey, what's going on here? Well, who's up next? They played low, he meant us at first. I never want to see that again, but there's a possibility they do try that. And I think the other possibility no one mentions, and we could probably see as grand Polly come back and help out at first base and play some third base while he meant his place first. That would be not the best move, not the one I want to see, but yeah, that's that's definitely an option. But I think the two obvious guys to at least consider her in a call up where Davison Delas Santos and Jonathan Long. Davison, who already got a shot at the major league level early early on in the year, literally second game of the season. He got called up after Morrell went down with the with the oblique or whatever. It was very limited sample size, looked okay, he's been good in Triple A. He had a homer yesterday, I believe, and he had to hit today before the game got called they just called the game. By the way, Jay Speck technically threw a perfect game. By the way. Anyways, Jonathan Long, who got acquired in the Braxton Garrit trade along with Jay Speck, has been really good since coming to the Marlins. I know it's four games, but he looks really good. He could play the outfield, could play first base. I believe he was the International Elite Player of the Week or whatever it was, or of the month. Sorry, and yeah, this is the guy who kind of was blocked in the CUB system now has a pretty good opportunity with the Marlins where he could see a lot of everyday playing time with him if if he does get called up. So those are two guys to consider, both on the forty man. So that's easy to make the transaction. I believe you just or not back. I don't know, I'm not beck. I'm sorry as Long on the forty man, I don't he.
Speaker 2: Maybe it'd be great if we had a graphic that we could pan too that.
Speaker 3: Shows there it is.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I've Star Wars highlighted right there for the moment. The Marlins have a rare opening on their forty men. So right now, there's thirty nine players on this forty of all the trade stuff.
Speaker 3: Long is not one of them.
Speaker 2: Yet. He's a guy that would be eligible for the Rule five draft after the season, guy that the Marlins clearly intends to place on their forty men and using the big leagues in the not too distant future. It's an interesting, it's a fascinating conversation, which is why we're having it now because Long is deep into his second full season at Triple A.
Speaker 3: Davis and Dale.
Speaker 2: Los Santos is now more than two full seasons into his Triple A experience. Remember he got he was at that level even before the trade to the Marlins two seasons ago. Finished out twenty twenty four. Triple A struggled a lot of last year on the fields, even a little bit off the field from what we heard, and then this year it's been a lot better. But it does come with that caveo that it's a guy that's repeating a level that we've seen him play up before. So the numbers are a lot better this year. He did hit another home run today. The plate discipline numbers have improved quite a bit. The strikeout rate is even lower than it's been before an interesting conversation there. For one long it should be acknowledged he can play both first base and the corner outfield spot, so that's a pretty direct fill in forst Hours, Whereas with Dela Santos, for anybody that's unfamiliar, used to be third base and first base. He's exclusively first base. Now they've given him a long leash at third and it didn't work out with his throwing struggles there. So Dela Santos is only a first base option, but he's one that has i'd say even more raw power, one that the upside is very interesting. And he is still just twenty three years old, like he would be the youngest guy on this Marlins team, even though it feels like he's been around a while. Even though the prospect the prospect shine has really worn off. He's the guy that fell outside of our top thirty list, and SE's somebody that the downside is pretty low. If he is just swinging at the wrong pitches, he's not going to be successful. But at the same time, he gotta give him some credit for improving, and the fact that he's on the forty men already, I would say is a factor that works into his favor. It's something where you know the team doesn't have to overthink that decision. He's the guy that's already he's I would say, I haven't fully thought this through yet, but I would say that I kind of lean towards I'd like to see him get a shot that it's it feels like now we're never for him, just given all the reps he's already had at Triple A. And even if you're not expecting him to play every day like that should be noted too. He could call You're not necessarily calling somebody up expecting them to fill Sour's shoes by playing every single day, and Sours was playing, he had started twenty eight consecutive games. He's been everyday player for this Marrol and Steam. You're not expecting anybody to directly, one for one fill his shoes. It's more about which of these guys in Jacksonville it's most appropriate to call up. And I kind of lean towards De la Santos. They do have a lot of They have enough outfield depth, I would say already on their active roster, between Casey and Marcy and Ruiz still playing well and Bert and the act that even Sonoha. Of course you Noha can pitch and fill in at those spots, and he's been pretty hot at the plate lately that I think it's fine to call up a first base only guy if, like Dala Santos, especially if he is, to my degree, you know, shown almost as much as he can at Triple A in order to ultimately get a sink or swim at the big league level. But yeah, that's kind of where I land. A name that hadn't come up yet is Camp Alderman. I mean, he's a guy that statistically is having a better Yeah, long Ard, dal Santos, what are your thoughts on him? As a guy that used to be only an outfielder, he's been learning first base this year? Where do you think he stands in this decision?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I forgot about Camp. Yeah, that's a good one and another thing to mention real quick, And I know you'll probably bring this up at some point, Augustine. Hey, we'll see. And Knak could also play from first, so we'll see if that ends up happening. But yeah, looking at Camp, is I believe this is another guy that's eligible for the rule five right, or maybe he's next year, right, Yes, actually, I've just pulled up I can check. Yes, he's eligible this year, so they would be doing themselves a favor by adding Alderman to the forty man too. But I think if he had to choose which one gets drafted, probably probably both could go. But anyways, Alderman, the only issue with him so far I've seen this year is that the strikeout rate is way up from where it was last season. They had finally gotten to a point where it was at twenty three percent. That's manageable. It would go up regardless at the major league level, but you can manage that. This season it's at thirty one percent. And he I believe he scorched the ball yesterday or today. I don't know if they ended up playing if it was a doubleheader yesterday or today, but anyways, he hit a homer fifteen on the year, one nineteen WRC. Plus he's walking a lot more though, which is good, or just a little bit more, but still that works. And again, as Eli noted, he could play the outfield, so they could mix a match throughout the remainder of the season, or for most of the time sours would be out, So that's something to keep in mind there. But yeah, Miami's options. That's that's something that we haven't been able to say in a while, where they could go a variety of different ways, and he really wouldn't be mad. I guess the only one that would be the worst one would be calling up Polli and Lo gets the first base reps. But outside of that, they can't go wrong with any other move. The Della Santos long Alderman Conine at first you call up an outfielder, they've got their options.
Speaker 2: It should be noted again with Conin, just to catch everybody up, he did get first base reps in spring training. He's played a total of six innings at first base during the regular season. They made a clear choice that they like Stour's defense there better than Conine. It's been a really small sample, so it's hard to sell from my vantage point if that's the right call or not, but they clearly made that choice that Stowers is playing first base basically every day this last month and a half or so, whereas Conine only in very select situations, and Conin has still been in the lineup for the most.
Speaker 3: Of these games.
Speaker 2: They just apparently aren't too sold on his defense of that position. Yet it isn't interesting hypothetical to see whether he gets they by in this situation. They just expand his playing time there quite a bit, and he might become their primary first baseman, but.
Speaker 3: It seems like a big leap.
Speaker 2: Again, touching on Augustine, he hasn't even played first base in minor league game since coming to the organization. This is something that Clayton McCullum mensoned on Fish Unfiltered back in late June. He had mentioned that they were thinking about or something like that, intending considering having Gusts get some first base reps, and that never happens during the minor leagues. Peter Bendix reiterated that when he got called up that they're actually working on it in drills, and now we've seen some evidence of him doing that, but still have not actually witnessed it in a live game yet. So he is, of all these options, he's the one that's most questionable there. And I think I've spoken about this before, not trying to really not trying to be too overly harsh on Gus, just what I see as a guy that his main struggle as a defensive catcher is physically receiving the ball, and that's so much of the job at first days is being able to catch the ball in the dirt at awkward angles that I just feel like the same things that have been deficiencies for him as a catcher are going to carry over to first phase and that I just don't think that he's going to be successful there. Defensively, It's just that he is a very talented hitter, nonetheless, a guy that his talent is very much on par with Kemp and Davison in a way that ultimately, if he hits enough, then you can kind of live with whatever the quality of the defense is. The fact that the Marlins said that they were already working on this makes me think that we're going to see it to some extents over these coming days or weeks, however long that Sours is out, because his role before that was pretty murky, a guy that would only catch once a week or so and then DH against occasional lefties if they faced them, which the Marlins haven't really faced very often since he's returned, so his role was going to be really limited as it was before Sowers goes down with this injury. So and just in their defense when it comes to trading away Leam Hicks, it's not like you could have anticipated this tours injury occurring. Like it did feel like they had this excess of left handed hitters moving forward, and that felt they were selling high on Hicks. And even though he's done really well with the Rays, and even though the Marls now have this void, it's not something that they really could have anticipated.
Speaker 3: So what are you saying.
Speaker 2: Are you having any sort of remorse or regret about dealing Hicks or you still feel like that was the appropriate decision just given where the team was at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when they felt and we all thought it was the right move, I still stand by that. I just think the one thing we never accounted was like, there's no other first basement on the roster now except Kyle Stowers. I don't think anyone accounted for that when when they actually made the trade, I don't think we did. We never noticed, Like we never brought this up a single time. Right Norby was in Triple A. They ended up trading him that same day they acquired Jonathan Long. We have said, maybe they call him up right away, he's in Triple A. Outside of that and I don't think anyone would have accounted for this to happen, right, And you can never predict an injury, which is terrible to even think about, but yeah, you can't predict one. So Stower's hurt and now I gotta go next man up, And thankfully they do have quite a bit of options, and this is a position of short plus. I guess you could make a to a certain extent, make the case regardless of who actually is playing the position, because if you consider Leo Heimantez and Augustin Ramierz surplus at first base, I would disagree those are just guys that are gonna help you in the moment. But you know, Davison's like a solid first baseman. He's actually not that bad. He's probably the best defensive one of the bunch. Jonathan Long could hit, that's not a question. And then I think we'll see what happens with Alderman. I think that would be the flashy call up. I don't think they would do it, but I think there's a chance that that's like the flashy guy that you call up see if maybe he gets it going, kind of like what Gus did last year. He got called up and really got it going right away. Same thing with Marcy, So maybe they could do that, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's Davis, and Davison would still be the youngest guy on the roster. And yeah, no, I think he showed some good stuff in his first couple limited action of games.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was very limited, but I agree that I saw some really positive indicators there early in the year. So we're towards prediction time shortly. One usual look at the wild card standings and where we're at it at this moment, so if we were to updated to the instant, the Diamondbacks did win their game this afternoon, which makes it a three full games between the Marlins and either of those second and third wild card spots, three back of both the Phillies and the d Backs with only geez, I think, where we only have seven weeks left in this season, so it's starting to, you know, starting to come down to a getting clear idea about who's still in it. And you see in that picture the Pittsburgh Pirates are still in the race, although that they've been fading themselves over the last few weeks in a way that they're now two games two and a half back of where the Marlins are in these standings, and they're missing a few key players coming into this series, including Connor Griffin, O'Neil Cruz, Mitch Keller, Ryan O'Hearn. Some of their bigger they do have like Baker. Yeah, that I was reminded of that, Yes he has, because I've seen photos of him pitching. I'd have to look up the results right now. Very quick revisited the Lake Boker trade, the Marlins sending gaining three prospects when trading away Boker. He's made two appearances with the Pirates, each of them two innings apiece. We saw that versatility with him in Miami. They was able to go multiple innings, so two innings pitched in each of those outings. So old overall one Yeah, one run allowed in four innings, six strikeouts, teeny tiny sample size, but a guy that's already pitching significant well, one of those wasn't a blowout, so it's a little early on to say his precise role, but that was one of those that was one of those trades that that was the very last one that they made, it felt before the deadline, either that one or the Reese Hines one, however, was that was the one that was really a buzzer beater, sending him to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: And just a reminder of the Marlins in.
Speaker 2: That particular deal, they got Hun Sung Lee we haven't seen play yet, Brian Sanchez who is with UA A Pensacola, and Brandon Bidoit who is on the IL for Triple A Jacksonville right now. They got three of those players back in return, but all three that are as we're about to update our rankings of the Fish on first top thirty, I don't think any of them are going to crack that list. So it was more of a quantity over quality trade. But that is where things currently stand on that. It's coming up on the other side of the off day, So just as a refresher, I think a very conveniently placed off day for the Marlins, a home off day that gets a chillax for we almost forty eight full hours until their next game, and really assess where Stwurs is, you know, the severity of that injury, and then make that decision. They probably haven't made the decision quite yet in terms of which of those candidates that we went over actually gets the bump up, but we'll certainly have it covered there in either way, the Martins are going to be leaning more on some youth in way you slice of These are guys with the minimal, if any, major league experience, So it's just the volatility that they have is that's going to be the big loss. Where with Towers, he's just been over the course of these last couple of months, he's been extremely consistent, and you just don't know what you're going to get with these young guys coming up and tasting the majors on a consistent basis for the first time. That being said, we will head into our favorite segment and our final segment of the show. This is predictions time. This is prediction time.
Speaker 3: That's my prediction, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Let me get the leaderboard up here for one moment, because we have a tie at the very top as we head down the stretch of the regular season, our FoFs after Jeremiah Geiger. He's been near the top of the leaderboard through most of the season, and now he has some company up there with super sub David Fernandez.
Speaker 3: You see Kevin there.
Speaker 2: In the twelfth spot, tied for eleventh. If you want to be generous with it, and there's myself. I'm in sixteenth place. Still a lot of the year left to go, and we are counting everybody's predictions that come from our value to super subs. So you can go to Fishing on first dot com slash subscriptions to sign up if you haven't already participated in this, and we'll keep it updated all season long. Between every single series, how many games tomorrows will win will be the MVP has determined by win probability. Added an awkward moment this past weekend because Tours was the most deserving player, but nobody dicked him.
Speaker 3: Everybody forever reason.
Speaker 2: Was off his sense as of late stands because he wasn't with the pick. It ended up going to Mike Trout instead. But as long as somebody put your name in for consideration and the end up finishing on top, the player is the MVP in this race. What is coming downst the wire? And I'll look the music going and then we'll go to Kevin ms from three games set against the Pirates, one that has very important National League Wild Card race randifications go ahead.
Speaker 1: Marlins will take two out of three, and I'm going to go with Griffin Conan. He's been the best player offensively for this team. He's going to keep it going too Homers in the series.
Speaker 2: I do think the Marlins are catching the Pirates at the right time. I need to be pretty bold to make up grounds in this prediction time race. I will have the Marlins sweeping the Pirates three games to none over the course of these next three games in Miami, and include upsetting Paul Skeins in one game.
Speaker 3: But Skins hasn't been quite himself.
Speaker 2: This year, and with those other notable losses on the offensive side for Pittsburgh, I think even without so Tours, that Miami is gonna be able to win some tightly contested games over the course of this series. I'm gonna give it to the funny guy. Pete Fairbanks is my series MVP. I think he's gonna pitch a couple of these games, close them out, and make the difference in the Marlins stealing those victories. So very different vibe compared to this past weekend where and he had some blowouts.
Speaker 3: I think this is gonna come down to the.
Speaker 2: Right arm of Pete Fairbanks and that he's gonna propel the Marlins to four games over five hundred and some major separation from the pirates in the nationally wildcard race.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. I swear to you I was gonna choose them, and then I switched my mind. I was gonna choose Pete as the serious end be like, let me go, let me go, griff hmm.
Speaker 3: It's yeah.
Speaker 2: It's very uncommon that a reliever wins is also. Yeah, it's a comment that we predict them to win awards as that's really reaching back.
Speaker 3: It was a series where I had too in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: That was which maybe in the first full year that I did prediction times on the stream, it's not the second time.
Speaker 3: So Fairbanks has been great as of late.
Speaker 2: We didn't talk about him during the show, but we've highlighted him recently because he's on a pretty impressive scoreless streak and we'll see how it goes. So yeah, we're gonna wrap it up right there between Kevin and myself. Alex Krutchik also on with us and provide some on site coverage for US today at the ballpark. We'll once again have boots on the grounds at Lone Deepot Park these next few days at Pittsburgh and then we'll have another stream for you guys following that series on Thursday, and then in between we are expecting to have our regular visit with manager Clayton McCullough on Fish Unfiltered, So assuming that goes to plan, we'll have an episode between now and the next stream talking to Clayton, get caught up on the ramifications of the tours injury and his appreciation of Sandy and some other topics that we didn't cover on the show. So you can catch that episode of Unfiltered anywhere that you get your where you get this one, and uh, I think you'll enjoy that.
Speaker 3: One as we always do.
Speaker 2: Clayton is always very elaborate discussing where things stands with this Marlin steam. So that's gonna do it for this show again on the Fish on First podcast presented by jets Key Rentals of South Florida, part of the Foul Territory Network, and we're going to continue to cover this team extensively down the stretch of this twenty twenty six season, So we appreciate all the support we get from you guys.
Speaker 3: As always, go Fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah,