Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Trending Daily Little Baby's courtesy have c Rex on the discord. I don't know if it was a reference to tripping Billies trending dailies, but that's where I took it. I took it. That's right. I'm gonna take it there, Miles. You took it around there. Man, took it right there. Then they thought I was that I did the damn thing, you know what.
Speaker 2: I heard that.
Speaker 1: Brother heard that, and I heard that. My name is Jack and I'm through to be joined once again by my co host, mister Miles Brad.
Speaker 2: Kay, pardon my voice. I blew out a vocal cord screaming to holy shit, and we're gonna reference listen tomorrow's episode What's going On or whatever the actual title is by four non Blonde, What's up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: The karaoke when I got to Japan, like here, listen to me. This is at the end of the night. I'm fucking way and jet lagged, and this is me singing Let's Dance by David Bowie.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, oh you got there. You got the video we're about to get We're about to get.
Speaker 2: Oh ship that was in public. But anyway, I'm back and I don't know what I need those. I need those white House drugs man to get me like on point.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, that modaff Yeah, the Air Force pilot pro provac.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, man, is that like meant to be like pro vigilance, Like it's meant like that's.
Speaker 1: How I take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It seems like they were workshopping that one and landed on a good one. By the way, my six year old the other day turned to me.
Speaker 2: We were at.
Speaker 1: David Busters because I'm a good dad. John Legend was there for some reason. Also, this wasn't a dream. John Legend was there, and my six year old turned to me and said, Dad, why is sky Rizzy so popular with so many people? Want? Yeah? And then I realized, like, because I watched sports and there's sky Rizzy commercials and I think he just like picked it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that at first, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, who is sky sky Rizzy a rapper?
Speaker 2: I know, I think we were joking about that when that ship first came out. We're like, Yo, sky Rizzy is a dope fucking.
Speaker 1: Great name that they fucked up by giving to a plaque Sariasis medication. But they were just like we just landed on this great name and like we got to use it. It's not appropriate for this medication necessarily, yea, but yeah, that ship is working on my six.
Speaker 2: Year old sky Rizzy had the fire mixtape. That's You, that's you should tell your kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were so many people. Yeah, anyways, welcome back. Feel to have you back and thrilled to get to talk to you about our Supreme Court. It seems to have like dipped into a new level. Like it feels like some of the just arguments that are taking place in this one case that I was reading about seem to be like our arguments from a reality television show. Like yeah, it's there's just something so deeply American brained, like broken brained. Like I don't know, I've always like thought that maybe that was going to happen, is that the way people talk and argue on reality TV would infect people in reality since like that's what their shows claim to be. It feels like it's gotten to the Supreme Court based on some of these conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, it's idiocracy for sure.
Speaker 1: It really is wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was the case, right, A lot of people being like Clarence Thomas, isn't inexplicably, isn't there to hear arguments for a case talking about public officials getting gifts and kickbacks.
Speaker 1: And Brian, Yes, yeah, so involved call them gifts? Okay, bad? So yeah he skipped. He played hooky on Monday, and people thought maybe it was because of this case. Came back Tuesday and was just like wow, what happened? Nah? I was here?
Speaker 2: What all good?
Speaker 1: But the case involves a guy named James Snyder, who was mayor of Portage, Indiana, who took thirteen thousand dollars from a trucking company just weeks after he oversaw a bidding process that awarded them a city garbage truck contract worth over one point one million.
Speaker 2: Again hundred times.
Speaker 1: Totally blown away by how cheap it is to buy a politician, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirteen Wow, you know for one point one million? Baby, try that? Try that in New York City or Miami, or.
Speaker 1: Maybe the payout is better, I don't know, yeah, Or maybe we should all get a lot to Indiana and start playing tiny cities.
Speaker 2: Did you imagine we're like, yo, Jack, let's just put like thirteen k together and just let's just fucking do some wild and now where the trash nightmare?
Speaker 1: Now we run sanitation for Portage, Indiana.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, we're in over our heads.
Speaker 1: So prosecutors say it's a bribe, because that's what it is. Snyder contends that it was merely a payment for his consulting service. He was found guilty in twenty twenty one because he's guilty, appealed because he's rich. And now the case is before the Supreme Court, who have get the chance to decide whether the country's anti corruption law only apply to before the fact bribes or also to after the fact gratuities. So that's what it was, a thirteen thousand dollars gratuity according to them. So obviously it could be pretty consequential because a ruling in favor of Snyder would essentially legalize the bribing of public officials for lucrative government favors.
Speaker 2: But like gifts after the fact, yes, gifts after the fact.
Speaker 1: My bat so Neil Gorsich, agreed with the corrupt Guy's line of reasoning, pointing out that doctors and teachers take gifts all the time. He then suggested that the current law doesn't give fair notice to someone who may be breaking the law by I don't know, paying for a dinner at the cheesecake factory.
Speaker 2: There it is, boom, you're done.
Speaker 1: I like, so, you know, justice such to my My ore and the lawyer for the government were like, no, this is very clearly about transactions worth at least five thousand dollars. What are you what are you talking about? He's like, I can't get taken out the dinner the cheesecake factory anymore, that's not what we're saying. But yeah, exactly, this is this is sort of like when you're arguing with a very unintelligent person who decides like just contort reality in their mind so they never have to agree with you and keep pivoting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Shit.
Speaker 1: So they're like, now it's to just five thousand dollars, like very clearly, like that's a very specific you know, specifically written into it. And then Snyder's lawyer countered that the plastic surgery she gets is worth over five thousand dollars. What she's supposed to do not tip her plastic surgeon, which again like doesn't even like it's just so like it it's just taking one of the numbers in the previous sentence and saying something so like weird and shocking around it, right, that you just are like kind of your mind can't keep up with like what is happening or like follow their train of logic. The doctor removes your work, fine, but the doctor who takes your gallbladder out or does your face like my plastic surgeon. No, that's worth over five thousand dollars. I'm sorry, it's worth over.
Speaker 2: Five Well, was the lawyer was the lawyer a literal straw man in a lawyer outfit? What the fuck?
Speaker 1: The lawyer was actually one of the characters from Brazil who has their face like pulled in all different weird directions. The But it's just I mean, obviously, asking this Supreme Court to weigh in on this particular issue is like asking Yogi Bear to curb picnic basket theft, right, I don't know, it's it's.
Speaker 2: It's just grim. I mean, yeah, Like you could already see where this goes. And this Supreme Court has already done a really bang up job this session with already affirming the state of the rights of the state of Iodaho to to ban gender affirming care for young people or in this other one, McKesson versus Doe where they're like, nah, we're not going to hear that, and in that moment where they're essentially fucking saying that you don't really have the right to organize a mass protest in states like Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas that like sort of these laws on their book tore like, Hey, if you organize a fucking protest and shit gets violent, that's on you. Yeah. And then they're like, but what if, like you had a fucking saboteur come in from the group that's opposing it and been like yeah watch this, I'm gonna throw a fucking rock. And then now they're getting in trouble. Aha, hacked it.
Speaker 1: The matrix, see you. Yeah, there's a lot of same. It's on you. Yeah. That McKesson is Deray McKesson who organized a protest and somebody got something thrown at them and yeah, yeah they got a rock at his faced, dude, Deray, Yeah, for organizing a protest. So they basically make it impossible to organize anything, uh yeah in these states.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. So wow, can't wait to see where this goes next.
Speaker 1: I mean, just back to the Snyder case, the guy like he so the garbage truck case isn't even the only example of him being accused of accepting bribes. A tow truck company owner actually pled guilty to paying Snyder twelve thousand dollars in bribes. So that seems to be his sweet spot where he liked anything with trucks. Yeah, trucks and around twelve truck thirteen thousand dollars in exchange for towing contracts, which Snyder claims was merely alone. I was gonna give it back. Oh my god, guy's so mad at me. The city's superintendent had to go to the FBI office to report him, led to a three year probe into the mayor, and they also found that his thirteen thousand dollars cheesecake factory dinner aka consulting fee was paid to a consulting firm that investigators later discovered was a fake company. So he had created a shell company to.
Speaker 2: Just ordinary everyday people do.
Speaker 1: It was a gift. I was just holding it for them.
Speaker 2: Oh gotak.
Speaker 1: Believe how weird you guys are being.
Speaker 2: You're being so weird, like like you're you're probably gonna say next. I can't even say thank you to someone like that's how this is where this is going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how is an everyday citizen supposed to know that taking more than ten grand in payments rooted through a shell company is somehow illegal or not? On the up and.
Speaker 2: Up From the eyes of a lot, everything's upside down, man, I get it. Thank you Justice for standing up for what is right? What the fuck fucked up? Yeah? Where this goes?
Speaker 1: Advertising the cheesecake factory, because now I am hungry and I'm going to go there.
Speaker 2: Yep, Chicken littles, let's take.
Speaker 1: A quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're move at cheesecake factory.
Speaker 2: Chicken little, Hey, come on, man, they look until they bribe us for thirteen grand you or anything else from me. But yeah, I get I get Chicken Little.
Speaker 1: There's that one rice dish like that has like rice shrimp and I think it's like the firecracker chicken or something. It's oh man, chicken ship. Yes, I know that.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it at all. But God almighty, that thing is probably the most like you can like feel the like how calorically dense it is. Oh yeah, yeah, that's kind of the appeals like each one, so deep fried.
Speaker 2: One bite, you can hear like your blood coursing through your head with every heart beat.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, Yeah, all of a sudden, you can just hear your blood up in your ears.
Speaker 2: I hear that.
Speaker 1: Should we check in with Coachella? See what?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh? I saw, I saw. I saw that grind You see that? Do you see the Grimes clip?
Speaker 1: I did not see the clip. I just read descriptions of it. It's the big thing. Was No Doubt Reunite, joined on stage by Olivia Rodrigo, one of the very first concerts I ever went to without my parents. Oh was No Doubt Bush, No Doubt opening for Bush, Damn in the year nineteen and ninety six.
Speaker 2: Okay Damn? How so? Oh your best singing? Okay that that track?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because my first concert solo was the stank Onia Outscore solo solo.
Speaker 1: An exhibit opened for That's Much Cooler, That's much Cooler. Went on a little date to that one at rupp Arena in Kentucky and uh Arena anyways, uh Less. Successfully, Grimes had to apologize to fans on Twitter her technical issues during her show. Some of her keyboard software was messed up, which she blamed on having outsourced the work to idiots. I don't know if she called the idiots.
Speaker 2: But no, she said I shouldn't have let other people do it. I always do it myself. Like her apology was like, basically, these other people messed up, and that's on me.
Speaker 1: And that's on me. Uh a perfectionist. It's yeah, it's like listening to a passive, aggressive person who's just like, I'm it's it's because I didn't do it myself, and I'm you know, I should know that everybody no fucking stupid.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, and that makes me dumb.
Speaker 1: But I like caused her to repeatedly scream into her microphone during the set.
Speaker 2: It's just like if she was djaned too, and you're like, I'm sorry, is anybody who's DJed? It's like the bpms are coming out all wild and stuff. I don't know what's going on. Part of me is like, can you can you do that by ear? Like that's sort of one of the first skills you learn in mixing is knowing like sort of where your tempos are.
Speaker 1: Not me, yeah, not me. I do everything by sight and by uh intense spreadsheet work that I don't have time to do up here. Also, Will Smith made a surprise appearance during Jay Balvin set, showing up in his Men in Black suit to sing uh with me, Yeah, welcome to Miami. No, he's saying, Madam Black to remind people he's the guy that we all loved him.
Speaker 2: Men in Black.
Speaker 1: There's a giant alien head and dancing aliens. But no Tommy Lee Jones. Apparently Tommy Lee Jones thinks he's too good for coach Ella.
Speaker 2: Hey, look that's another guy with the same birthday as me, and look we both weren't there, so conspiracy maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: Same birthday, same year by same year he looked like shit.
Speaker 2: And I was also Al Gore's roommate at Harvard. Do you know they were roommates? Yeah, yeah, of course. Anyway, Look we look, we're up, dude. I look, me and Tommy we look good for seventy seven, although we will be seventy eight this September, so you know.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, there's been I forget when we talked about this, Oh, it was on tomorrow's episode. But uh, there's a real I've had two people, both Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman's sightings in the past week that have like really made me realize, like you did once you hit ninety, it's all over, You're yeah, it's I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. It was over for Gene Hackman a lot sooner than yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like I don't know, man, and I'm talking only looks, but they don't look like this now.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, look, with the medical technologies that we have, we may see the end of the yearth That's.
Speaker 1: Right, that's enough fun, hey man, that's pretty cool that, you know what I mean? All right, and speaking of the end of the earth, USC has canceled a pro Palestinian valedictorian speech, but not over politics. It's over safety. It was purely logistical. Miles, Oh, is that right? Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. It my goodness that you want to talk about something so backwards to say that it was over safety concerns when the valedictorian, who you know it's identifies as like a South Asian Muslim, was like, you know, I don't I never heard about any threats against me. I never heard about any threats or disruptions to this, But why are we using this angle somehow to then be like we just want to silence someone with pro Palestinian views who may have a platform to voice those views. It's hard for me to see it like any other way than that, because we are I mean, this is all we've been seeing since October the seventh, are people with pro Palestinian views having a lot of trouble getting those views out into the world. And another thing we even referenced in tomorrow's episode, like even like the German police disrupted a pro Palestinian conference because why, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Safety, Yeah, it must be safety. We're actually concerned about their safety. Finally, is what we are worried about. We don't want the people protesting to get hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just more Islamophobia manifest into our you know, college campuses. And the valed Victorian, Asna Tabusum said, made a savent quote. Although this should have been a time of celebration for my family, friends, professors, and classmates, anti Muslim and anti Palestinian voices have subjected me to a campaign of racist hatred because of my uncompromising belief in human rights for all. Yeah, it's it's really it's a shame. But USC isn't quite the bastion of free speech and progressive ideals that I think maybe people just because it's in Los Angeles University and they have like their own police force that are keeping the undesirables out at all times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday afternoon. We are back tomorrow with the whole ast episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye from Doctor Factor, the a from the tri