Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Wall Street Week. I'm David Weston bringing you stories of capitalism. President Trump has made it a priority to get gas prices down below two dollars a gallon. What are the chances he'll meet his goal and at what cost? Plus money makes the world go round, and particularly the money wealthy people bring to their home countries, which is why the United Kingdom has to be careful about changing incentives to move abroad. And the growing world of alternative investments is on the brink of adding another asset class investing in the four hundred billion dollar business of law firms. But we start with China and the United States and how bad things could get from two different perspectives. Macroacon Instant special contributor Larry Summers of Harvard and economic historian Neil Ferguson of the Hoover Institution. The world's biggest economies, the United States and China, have had a complicated economic and geopolitical relationship that relies on competition and cooperation.
Speaker 3: At the same time, I'm in favor of maintaining a working relationship with China. It is too important a country. It had made good progress in the economic reform, and I think we should not lightly sacrifice the relationship with the country with the longest continuing history in Asia, with the cultural influence.
Speaker 4: That it has.
Speaker 2: China joined the World Trade Organization in two thousand and one, setting the stage for a tumultuous relationship between the United States and China that continues today.
Speaker 5: We have a trillion down a trade everythy with China, hundreds of millions of downas a year we lose with China, and unless we solve that problem, I'm not going to make a deal now. I would like to deal with China, but they have to solve this surplus.
Speaker 4: With the tariff program, we had a plan, we have a process, and now we have a mechanism with our Chinese counterparts to prevent an escalation. Again. We're going to go into a series of negotiations. They're going to be fulsome and we have a lot to talk about. But I think over the next ninety days we can accomplish a lot.
Speaker 2: President Trump has continued the efforts of his first administration to make the economic relationship between the two countries fair, initially imposing tariffs as high as one hundred and forty five percent before suspending them pending negotiations. Neil Ferguson has called it a second Cold War.
Speaker 6: It's eighteen years since I used the term chi America for the first time, and the argument back then was China and the United States are in a symbiotic relationship, but it's not symmetrical. The US does the importing, China does the exporting, the US does the consuming, and China does the saving. And the argument that I made back in two thousand and seven was that this was not really sustainable and that at some point Chimerica would turn out to be a chimera. It actually took longer than I expected to turn sour, but certainly by twenty seventeen eighteen we had the beginnings of Cold War II, when the rise of China finally elicited a response from the United States. The interesting thing, David, is that somehow Chimerica and Cold War two seemed capable of coexisting, because despite a trade war and a tech war both continued by the Biden administration and ramped up by Donald Trump in his second term, the United States still imports an enormous amount from China. The relationship has been extraordinarily persistent despite the growing conflict and the escalation of Cold War two.
Speaker 7: I'd call it hostile codependence. We're codependent with them, We depend on them, they depend on us, But our interests in the way the world is shaped going forward are very different. There can only be one leader in technology, so there are also important zero sum competitive aspects in the relationship, and the challenge is going to be to manage it.
Speaker 2: As much as Larry Summers agrees that the US and China need each other, he does think we may be wrong about the extent of Chinese economic power.
Speaker 7: I think the big change that from my mind, people are underestimating is that China has immense challenges ahead of it. Yes, they have done very well in a number of key technology, but their population is going to shrink, their debts are immense. Their economic adjustment towards a more consumption oriented economy would force the Communist Party to give up a lot of power, which I don't think they're going to do. You know, David, here's a rule. When the American elite tell their children to learn a language, it's time to bet against the country in question. That was right about Russia in nineteen fifty nine. That was right about Japan in nineteen eighty nine, and I think it's been right about China in recent years. And so I think the key priority for the United States is to maintain our strength, but also not to put so much pressure on China that we elicit as spasmodic response. Neil's the historian, and he's the great expert, but many people see this through the prism of Germany and Britain before the First World War. I think it's also helpful to think about Japan and the United States before the Second World War, where a very successful set of American economic policies in holding back the Japanese economy pushed the Japanese into nationalists desperation, and that was behind Pearl Harbor. So I think in the United States we need to be very careful and not see this in terms of trying to win some great victory against China, and not forgetting that codependence probably an inevitability.
Speaker 2: After growing over fourteen percent a year as recently as twenty seventeen, China's growth has slumped to an estimated four percent in twenty twenty five according to the IMF. But the US may not have the economic upper hand China.
Speaker 6: Is a much larger economy relative to the United States than any previous challenger. On a current dollar basis, it's got to within around seventy percent of US GDP. More strikingly, China's manufacturing value added is now twice that of the United States, And if you just go back twenty years, the roles were reversed. US manufacturing value added around at the time that China joined the World Trade Organization was roughly twice that of China's. Let's view this from China's advantage point. How did the Chinese see the American response to their rise. They see it as a rather brutal trade war that began with Donald Trump's first term and has escalated dramatically at the beginning of his second term. But that escalation turned into a game of chicken. And in that game of chicken, it was Donald Trump who swerved. It was Trump who had to step down, who had to pull back from the incredibly high tariffs that he imposed in a series of steps on China after being sworn in for a second term. So the Chinese look at the United States, and I think they often say to themselves, these guys have really passed their peak, and they don't have a keyherence strategy to deal with us.
Speaker 7: I'm a bit more optimistic than Neil about the relative strength of the two economies.
Speaker 8: I think a.
Speaker 7: Large GDP achieved simply by having a large number of people doesn't always make you stronger. Ask yourself if Mexico was part of the United States, we would have a higher GDP as a country, But I think we'd actually, in toto and aggregate, probably have a weaker economy in terms of our ability to project power. So I am a bit more optimistic about the hand the United States has to play than Neil, but a bit more disappointed by the skill with which we are playing it. I share his concern about a potentially very dangerous situation in Taiwan, though I would caution that probably to maintain deterrence, it's not that we need a capacity to win. We need a capacity to inflict enormous and problematic and risky damage while maintaining credibility to deter imprudence. And I think that's a bit more achievable than Neil suggests.
Speaker 6: Well, there's certainly a risk. I've argued for some time that a Taiwan semiconductor crisis would be the equivalent of the Cuban missile crisis in Cold War two. But let's remember that there's something very distinctive about the US China relationship that makes it quite different from the twentieth century conflicts and challenges that Larry talked about. China really had caught up or was very close to catching up in key domains, including artificial intelligence and constant computing. China has shown that technological containment of the sort that Jake Sullivan recommended when he was National Security Advisor hasn't really worked.
Speaker 7: I am far more worried about dependent shawan China for debt than I am dependent on China for rare earths or any other specific.
Speaker 2: Product, whether it's competition to technology or dependence on foreign investment in US debt. Both Larry and Neil agree that the tax and spending bill currently working its way through Congress will do little to improve the United States position when it comes to China.
Speaker 7: It's not a big, beautiful bill. It's a prescription for deadly dangerous. To Cline, it's ill advised, it's imprudent. It fails to recognize at all a basic truth that the world's greatest debtor is unlikely to stay the world's greatest power. We are making a very serious mistake by continuing on the phiscal path that we are on. And it's not even clear that if we're given more rope, if the debts are allowed to grow, that may just be ultimately increasing hour of vulnerability. Neil and I are in complete agreement on that.
Speaker 6: Well, these relationships are complex, but you could simplify the story a bit by just saying, as long as the United States consistently runs a large budget deficit, it's probably going to run a rather large current account deficit, and attacking bilateral trade imbalances is unlikely to overcome that fundamental problem. There's nothing in President Trump's big beautiful bill that's currently going through Congress that seems likely to reduce the US federal deficit from around six or thereabouts percent of GDP up.
Speaker 2: Next is Milan starting to look a bit more British a story of how the wealthy are responding to changes in British tax law. This is a story about setting goals, goals that are realistic, but also that are the right ones. Our colleagues Alex Steele and Michael McKee take a look at the President's goal of getting gasoline below two bucks a gallon.
Speaker 9: A cornerstone of President Trump's economic agenda is lower gasoline prices.
Speaker 10: Energy is going down.
Speaker 5: I see that we had a couple of states where gasolene was it a dollar and ninety eight cents a gallon.
Speaker 9: A dollar ninety nine might be a stretch. Now, if President Trump gets his wish of forty dollars oil, it could be a reality.
Speaker 11: The number one thing that sets the price of gasoline is the price of crude oil. And as we've seen gasoline prices drop over the past year or so, the thing that's driven above all is a price of crude oil coming down. So simple as that really.
Speaker 9: Ed Crooks is vice chair of the America's at Wood Mackenzie, a leading data and analytics firm. Crooks says, it's possible we get another oil price crash like the one we had in twenty sixteen, which dragged oil down to twenty six dollars a barrel and pump prices to a dollar seventy.
Speaker 11: It's certainly possible that we can get back to a point like the situation we were in twenty fifteen twenty sixteen, where we had very low oil prices down below forty dollars a barrel, and that led to very cheap gasoline. So we might have a period maybe a year or two with very low oil prices, very low gasoline prices.
Speaker 9: Why is it always feel like prices that the pump go up faster than they go down.
Speaker 11: There is some evidence on that. If you think about it, though, take a step back, you think about the big picture. Then people will say, well, because of these movements, because gasoline prices going up fast than they come down, therefore, refiners must be making fantastic profits.
Speaker 9: The reality is the price of oil only accounts for half of the price of a gallon of gasoline. About thirty percent is an equally split between federal and state taxes and distribution and marketing moving the gasoline around the country and selling it at the gas station. The rest are those refining costs and profits.
Speaker 11: Refining is not a hugely lucrative business. In fact, particularly right now, profit margins and refining have been squeezed right down. It's really hard to make a good return in the refining business.
Speaker 9: No one knows that better than Andy Walls, president of Downstream, Midstream and Chemicals at Chevron.
Speaker 8: We're trying to buy low and sell high. Is It's just like if you were to run a restaurant. The raw maateurs you buy and the meals you sell to people, that's there the restaurant's crackspread. Same exact concept in refining.
Speaker 9: It's Andy's job to make sure the one point eight million barrels of oil products a day that Chevron produces flows safely, efficiently, and profitably. More than half of that comes from the US. I mean, this is huge. Give me some perspective on how bingosal is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So the whole property is about three thousand acres. Most of the processing stuff is on about one thousand acres. So it's a really big facility and a lot of complex things going on here.
Speaker 9: Chevron's refinery in Pasca Goula, Mississippi, runs twenty four to seven, takes thirty five different types of crude and turns it mostly into gasoline, diesel fuel for jets, ships, railroads and farm equipment, and even propane what you may use for your barbecue.
Speaker 8: We're either breaking down molecules, putting molecules back together. We're taking some product out of it. Maybe it's sulfur, maybe it's a metal. We're squeezing it, we're making it very hot. But we're doing a lot of chemical things to take a raw material and turn it into a thing like gasoline.
Speaker 9: The oil is separated, pressurized, and heated more than a dozen times to keep changing the molecules. It's complicated work with razor thin margins.
Speaker 8: And I wish I had more control over margins. I really don't. It's based on supply and demand, and if margins are good, we really want to run. If margins are bad, we still need to run.
Speaker 11: And so I think when people kind of take that jump to say this is outrageous the oil companies ripping us off and they're making so much money out of refining, that's not really accurate at all.
Speaker 9: If refiner greed isn't a hurdle to sub two dollars gasoline supply, it might be. Over the past decade, ten refiners have closed, either because of damage or because they transitioned to process renewable fuels.
Speaker 12: Refineris have been closing down, as you know in the US Alon line. Dell shut down earlier this year. So this is another problem that, yes, while crude oil prices are going to be low. It's not necessarily the same case for what we you and I consume, which is gasoline and diesel.
Speaker 9: Emory to Sen is the founder and director of Market Intelligence and Energy Aspects, a global data and intelligence firm. Sen is one of the most prolific voices in the industry.
Speaker 12: The one thing I'm very very confident about is on that refined products markets because the volume of refineries we are continuing to shut down and just modest demand growth for gasoline, diesel and jet will lead us to some significantly higher pump prices.
Speaker 9: COVID also did permanent damage to the industry.
Speaker 8: Yeah, COVID was a challenging time for our industry.
Speaker 13: That was hard.
Speaker 8: Running the plant at minimum was hard. In fact, it ended up making several refineries in the United States close. It was either impossible, uneconomic or super difficult, and we lost a lot of refiners in the US and they're probably never going to come back. Once you close a refiner, I think it's kind of it's kind of the end of the line, and it's sad, but that's what happens.
Speaker 9: So what does that do for a supply demand dynamic When it comes to say gasoline.
Speaker 8: It makes it tighter. Yeah, if somebody that used to make gasoline is no longer making it, others have to pick up the slack and have.
Speaker 14: To do it.
Speaker 9: The US hasn't seen a new large refiner since nineteen seventy seven. Smaller ones have been built and existing plans have expanded. US capacity is now at eighteen point four million barrels a day. The real problem is coming. California will see almost one fifth of its crude processing capacity vanish in the next twelve months after Valero and Phillip sixty six IDL combined two hundred and eighty four thousand barrels of daily refining capacity.
Speaker 12: The problem is from twenty twenty seven on was if you look at our refining kind of global landscape, it only gets worse. We've got more closures coming because refining is such a slow moving industry right seven years it kind of takes to build, and there are no new bills in the West anyways. So I think we are in for a period of very high refined products prices, even if crude doesn't go out, by the way, regardless of what you think crude's going to do, And you could disagree with me and say, oh no, demand's not going to be great, and you know, shale will bounce back whatever. We can disagree on that.
Speaker 9: Two dollars gasoline is definitely not a good sign for the oil industry. The US is now the largest producer in the world, a different dynamic than previous oil sell offs.
Speaker 11: The crude price that you'd need to get gasoline down to dollar ninety nine is one that would be absolutely miserable for people in the US oil industry. For oil producers, it's certainly a level that would lead to job cutsits level that would lead to rigs being laid down, people drilling less, and so on.
Speaker 13: Most Americans agree they would like lower gasoline prices, but that might not actually be good for the country.
Speaker 11: I think, though, you've got to think about gasoline as being a bit like a health check brometer, temperature check. If you do see gasoline prices really kind of starting to plumb the depths and go significantly below where they are today, that's probably a sign that oil is not well in the world economy.
Speaker 15: We need to think about what's this cycle going to look like. Because again, it was not some fundamental shift in the market for oil that caused this particular cycle to be intensified. It was some tariff policies that may or may not be permanent. We don't know how that's all going to shake out. The most typical economic reaction to uncertainty is to do nothing. You don't buy that car, don't buy that house, don't bring out that new product, don't make that investment, all of those things. We tend to just lay back and do nothing. If the uncertainty as to some extent, I think it was a global demand coming back pretty quickly. This may be a fairly short cycle if that happens.
Speaker 13: Ray Perryman is an economist who's been studying the economic effects of oil prices for forty years.
Speaker 15: Most recent study indicated that today if you take the oil that's produced in the Permian and then you look at the downstream, the upstream, and everything else that happens with the oil produced in this region, if responsible for about a million jobs to the United States.
Speaker 13: Texas is an intersection of the economic fallout from low oil prices and producers taking their foot off the gas. Kirk Edwards is an oil and gas producer who is seeing the ripple effects in the Permian basin firsthand.
Speaker 16: It's the rest of the country that benefits from the gasoline price. Again, people in the middle of Odessa. We would rather see higher gasoling process because it means the oil process is good and the economy is going to be good. But it is a side effect for everybody, because everybody has to use gasoline in their cars right now to go to work and fly and do things like that.
Speaker 13: And that's where we turn next week on Wall Street Week when we go to Midland Odessa, the heart of the Permian Basin.
Speaker 2: Up next is Milan starting to look a bit more British, a story of how the wealthy are responding to changes in British tax law. This is a story about the rich and famous, or at least about the rich and their migratory habits. Global elites are constantly on the move, but where they choose to call home or dessert is often dictated less by lifestyle than by what they pay in taxes. As our London colleague Lizzie Burden reports in this global Shuffle of Fortune's, one Italian city is coming out on top.
Speaker 1: Nestled away on a leafy street in one of Milan's most stylish neighborhoods, lies the former home of famed fashion executive Santo Versace. Take a step inside and you'll enter The Wild, the private club catering to Milan's rapidly growing wealthy class.
Speaker 17: About Milan, it's an hour and a half by plane from London. You can drive to the south of France in two and a half hours. You can drive to the beach in a couple of hours. You can be in sam Ritz in an hour.
Speaker 11: And a half.
Speaker 1: Gary Landsberg's been heavily involved in private clubs in London.
Speaker 17: So my first foray into private clubs was with a great club, the Arts Club, which was founded in eighteen sixty three by Charles Dickens, and I was fortunate enough to be able to with my partners acquire the business. It's got an amazing history and clubs go back to the late eighteen hundreds in London. You have Brooks, Whites, all these amazing clubs, Boodles.
Speaker 1: But Gary opened The Wild last year, a club emblematic of a global wealth movement into places like Milan, Monaco and the Middle East away from London private clubs.
Speaker 17: If you go back to the eighteen hundreds, I think there were like three hundred clubs at the time, there was a lot and you know over the years Aviv in twenty twenty five. In London people still like going to private clubs, but unfortunately a lot of the clear untail have actually left.
Speaker 1: And that's due in part to the UK government abolishing the so called non dom regime.
Speaker 11: We will raise specific taxes.
Speaker 8: We want to win the non dom status completely.
Speaker 2: I think that the super rich trips paid their tax.
Speaker 18: It is a term relatively unique to the UK and it's short for non domiciled, so it refers to people who have or until very recently have had special tax treatment because they were considered non domiciled in the UK, meaning that their permanent home is in a different country.
Speaker 1: Nina Scerrow is the CEO at the Center for Economics and Business Research in London. Previously a non dom would avoid UK tax on foreign income and pay a small fee after a few years. Now they won't pay tax for the first four years, but then there'll be tax like everybody else on their worldwide income.
Speaker 18: In short, it's the beginning of the end of the non arm regime. So it is a big tightening of the of the rules. The previous big change was in twenty seventeen under the Conservative government, where they essentially capped the period of fifteen years. They said, if you've been here for fifteen of the past twenty years, you can't really genuinely say that you're not a non arm But this is now making the rules all the title.
Speaker 1: Manchester United owner Jim Ratcliffe famously relocated from Britain to Monaco in twenty twenty, in a move that was expected to save him four billion pounds in tax payments.
Speaker 10: I wasn't a fan of the non dome change. I thought that was very foolish. I mean, you've got sixty zersand very wealthy people in London. I do want to encourage them to leave and make any sense to me because they all bring, you know, enormous value to that economy.
Speaker 1: And now he's being joined by fellow football club owners, banking executives and real estate in departing Britain. Last year, the UK had a net loss of almost eleven thousand millionaires, a one hundred and fifty seven percent jump from a year before, which was already the highest number in a decade.
Speaker 17: I think the numbers that will come out in twenty twenty five will be shocking, really I think will be shocking. The trickle down effect on the economy is huge. Everyone who leaves will have people that work from whether it's in their business, in their office, in their home.
Speaker 19: And how is it directly impacting your business your investment strategy.
Speaker 17: Well, I think you know, for someone that was pretty much heavily invested in London, I'm completely divested from London. I have nothing here. I have a few real estate investments, but I'm certainly not looking at this stage to invest back in to London in the short term.
Speaker 1: But the government is confident it's made the right decision.
Speaker 19: Are you concerned that your non dom tax changes will cost more than they raise?
Speaker 20: No, I'm not concerned. We made a Manifesto commitment to ensure that non doms do pay their fair share of tax in the UK, but combined with a temporary repatriation facility which makes it easier for people to bring money into the UK without facing punative tax. This is a highly mobile group of people. But as well as people leaving the UK for a whole variety of reasons, we have every year thousands of people, including some of the wealthiest people, come to the UK because they can see that this is a great place to do business, a great place to grow a business.
Speaker 1: The government's Independent Office for Budget Responsibility estimates that twelve percent of non doms will leave the UK, but that the new regime will offset that by raising almost thirty four billion pounds over the next five years. Nina Scerrow isn't so sure.
Speaker 18: I think there is a very very good reason to think that the government departments are underestimating the extent to which people are going to either leave the UK or people that would have come to the UK otherwise aren't going to common What we have found is that tipping point where is the government making money is the government losing money? Net is around one in four. So if more than a quarter of non doms people currently claiming the status are no longer in the UK, that is the point at which the government actually starts losing money. And looking at the obr's own estimates and some other external estimates for how many people might consider leaving the UK as a result, twenty five percent is very very much within the realm of possibilities. So if you're asking yourself, do I want to go to the UK? Do I want to stay in the UK? Is this a good place to start a business, to grow a business. There is more and more ticks in the no column.
Speaker 19: Are you saying that it could affect London status as a global financial hoob?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 18: And I think absolutely changes to non doms is putting a bit of a damper on the status of London globally. And that's kind of a continuation, a little bit of a trend.
Speaker 1: So if not London, why That's where Marco Characto comes in.
Speaker 21: I'm an Italian tax lawyer, so specialized on tax and in that field that it means ever, taxation of corporation, taxation of individuals. I would say that my personal practice increased towards taxation of individuals in the past years because of the new rules.
Speaker 1: The new rules to which he refers are Italy's flat tax regime. Individuals pay a flat two hundred thousand euros a year on foreign income for up to fifteen years, a figure that was doubled last year. We've got all of the fiscal pressures, not just in Italy but across.
Speaker 19: Europe and around the world. How likely is it that this flat tax can endure? Because of course it's already gone u from one hundred thousand to two hundred thousand can it last?
Speaker 21: The decision of the government back in August twenty twenty four to double the tax from one hundred thousand to two hundred thousand has been indeed considered by foreign observers from my field as a confirmation of the willingness of the government to keep the regime, rather than an indicator that the gin might be unstable. Consider that this regime is there since twenty seventeen, has never been changed apart from this increase, which as an inflation component, because don't forget it was introduced eighty years ago, so there was an inflationary period. And also there was the willingness of the government to contain discussions or debates about the fairness of this regime because by increasing and doubling the tax, they have willingly restricted the amount of a network individual's moving to Milan, thereby reducing the discussion about the furnace.
Speaker 1: Cerato spent most of his life in Milan and has watched the city evolved well.
Speaker 21: Milana changed a lot in the last fifty years. At the beginning it was an industrial seat. During their years, it became a service city. It attracted a lot of people, so fifty years ago, most of the people, at least the people were wealthy, were MILLENISA. Now it's very difficult to find somebody who is purely Milanisa.
Speaker 1: Yet an influx poses its own problems. Real estate in Milan has comfortably outpaced wage growth over the past decade, with prices rising forty nine percent, while other major Italian cities have stayed largely flat or even decreased.
Speaker 17: It's quite small city, it's quite condensed, so they don't have a lot of huge developments going on. There's been a big influx of expats. They all pretty much want to live in the same area, which makes it quite difficult first for them to find actually spaces, and second of all, because there's not a lot of supply and there's a huge amount of demand. What's happening in the local community actually is getting out priced because they haven't seen She's like this before. The good quality mel real estate is certainly seeing a huge increase in values.
Speaker 19: Would you say that Italy is more aware that it's in a global competition to attract high network individuals than, for example, the UK government.
Speaker 21: I'm not so sure the government is so keen in entering into a global competition protect these people. They just realized that it's good to have people from abroad with high pending capacity making investment. This regime was introduced by a left wing government. This counter government is a right wing Meanwhile, there weare I think seven governments of different colors. All the different parties looked at this regime and decided to keep it. So paradoxically, the political instability of Italy has been the best test to consider this as a stable tax regen.
Speaker 1: Italy's government might not consider itself in a competition to attract the wealthy, but it is doing just that, and Lansburg says the UK faces an uphill battle to load them back.
Speaker 17: You'll get the results of twenty five in twenty six. They'll start talking about it. They'll start probably tweaking with it by twenty seven, and then everyone will be worried about an election in I think twenty nine. And if you've kind of been around long enough, you kind of see the patterns, and you know, I think you know they're they're not going to turn the ship round today, and.
Speaker 1: In the meantime they can always look east to Italy.
Speaker 21: I keep repeating my clients that Italy is a very bed place to work if you're in Italian professional or employee, because you pay a lot of taxes on your income. But it's a very nice place to die because there is a net of the flat tax regime. There is a very favorable regime on inhericans and gifts.
Speaker 2: Coming next, and you thought lawyers were only a drag on the bottom line, Now they may be the next big alternative for your investments. Next on Wall Street Week, this is a story about turning a cost center into an investment opportunity. For generations, lawyers have been a necessary cost to be managed and minimized, but now that may be changing.
Speaker 22: The legal industry as a whole has become a big business, and we've got firms. I think there are fifty eight firms that have more than a billion dollars in revenue.
Speaker 2: Lisa Smith is head of the Washington, d c. Office of Fairfax Associates, which advises law firms on business strategy.
Speaker 22: The investment opportunity is high. I think the question is is how to how to add value, How outside investors could add value.
Speaker 2: In the past, when you were looking for exciting new investment opportunities, American law firms weren't on the top of the list. There's no question that the overall market is big, with revenues estimated to total just over three hundred and forty three billion dollars in twenty twenty two, up almost one hundred billion dollars from ten years before, according to the Saint Louis fed But until recently, all that money was more or less kept within the protected guild of those who'd gone to law school and been called to the bar. We lawyers worked for Wall Street, but we were something separate and distinct from Wall Street. Just ask Professor David Wilkins of Harvard Law School.
Speaker 23: So you and I went to law school because we didn't want to do business. It's not just that we were not going to business school. It was a sort of an oppositional idea, as I think your Justice pile one said, but at least distant from business.
Speaker 2: As much as we tend to think of the legal profession as tied to traditions going back hundreds of years in Anglo Saxon jurisprudence, it has made some fundamental changes through the years, starting with who was let into the tribe. So we're in this wonderful Casperson Room, which is filled largely with the portraits of old white men. But this is a big exception.
Speaker 16: Tell us about this.
Speaker 23: It is this is the first class of women who came to Harvard Law School, which is both a thing to celebrate and also a little to be embarrassed about, because these women did not come until nineteen fifty. In other words, Harvard Law School had no women prior to nineteen fifty, and this is a portrait of that remarkable group of women, many of whom went on to do quite remarkable things. It's important for us to remember, in other words, that it wasn't so long ago that the definition of merit did not include fifty percent of the population.
Speaker 2: Social pressures led to changes in the setae sixties and seventies, but now it's a new kind of pressure, the financial kind, that is pointing to fundamental changes in the way lawyers do their work, brought on by an enormous growth in the size and complexity of the matters lawyers are taking.
Speaker 14: On the cost of litigation, the time litigation takes, the amount of investment a either a law firm.
Speaker 24: Or the plaintive has to make to even be able to figure out is that a good enough case?
Speaker 14: How can I win this case?
Speaker 7: It just is.
Speaker 24: Cost prohibitive for the average person and frankly for the average firm, because a law firm that takes a contingency case, that's not their only contingency case.
Speaker 2: Boris Zeisser is a partner at shirlti Roth, where he is cohed of its finance and derivatives practice.
Speaker 24: I think it's the need for the capital, given how expensive it is to litigate, that has created this, this need for this, for this outside investment.
Speaker 2: As the cases have gotten bigger and more expensive, so have the law firms that handle them.
Speaker 23: Top law firm partners are being recruited from one law firm to another, and they're being paid something like twenty million dollars a year, guaranteed for five years. I used to joke that law firm partners are paid like middle relievers. They're now being paid like starting pitchers. You start to have that in global enterprises, in dozens of locations with tens of thousands of people. If you count all the you know, the people who are not lawyers who work in these organizations, and pretty soon you realize that if you're running one of these things, you need not only the skills of an excellent lawyer, you need to also understand how to manage a complex business.
Speaker 2: The information in the practice of law has already brought with it outside investment, largely in the form of litigation finance, where investors take an interest in individual cases or groups of cases.
Speaker 23: Litigation funding is just the securitization of litigation assets, and again it started out as a kind of cottage industry, mostly focused frankly on plaintiffs firms who are looking for ways to defray the big investment. Increasingly, what we're going to see is by the way companies bringing them in to bundle cases together. So just like subprime mortgages, for better and for worse, we are now seeing litigation as an aggregate asset in which people are bundling cases together because from the company's point of view, it's an aggregate risk.
Speaker 2: But now there's the possibility of pri financing, not just for individual cases or groups of cases, but for the law firms themselves.
Speaker 24: Law firms borrow money all the time, and there are restrictions in every state on how a law firm can take on capital, if you want to call it generically. The more recent development was that a few years ago. Arizona and Utah as well have created a new structure, alternative business structure ABS. It's actually not new. It's new in the United States. It has actually existed in the UK for over a decade, but it's new here. And what that allows a law.
Speaker 14: Firm to do.
Speaker 24: It's still a law firm. It's important to understand an ABS is still a law firm, but it's a law firm that has obtained a license, has gone through a rigorous licensing process with a committee that operates under the auspices of the Supreme Court of that state.
Speaker 23: The best example of this is in the UK, which shortly after the global financial crisis, began to deregulate what its legal structures and markets could look like. One of the things that they did was take off the restriction that the only capital that could be an a llegal organization had to come from lawyers. In other words, you couldn't have external capital. They also took off the restriction that only lawyers could be partners in legal organizations. Now you can have multidisciplinary partnerships. That's meant, for example, the Big four accountancy firms are now licensed to practice law in the UK.
Speaker 2: The prospect of attracting outside investmental law firms may be attractive for the partners and the firms, but it's not without its complications. Nearly all states in the US forbid lawyers from sharing ownership with non lawyers or even sharing fees, except under certain limited circumstances.
Speaker 23: It's not just any business. In other words, it's not the same as running a manufacturing company or even running an investment bank or edgement, because the people who are at the core of this business, who are lawyers, also have a set of professional obligations that are not just maximizing shareholder profit or short term return. They have larger duties and responsibilities to protect and preserve the rule of law, which is core to American business, to American society, to our freedoms as a nation, to democracy.
Speaker 2: For the profession, the question comes down to whether it can pursue both the raising of outside capital and adhere to the professional obligations each lawyer pledges to uphold when we are sworn into the bar, or as Seisser thinks that it can.
Speaker 24: There is a real difference between in the practice of law, I think in the business of law and quite frankly, having somebody who's not a lawyer, who has the financial acumen to help a law firm be more efficient, more profitable, function more smoothly, take advantage of the technological whether it's AI or any other technological advancement. I think only in yours to the benefit of the clients, and the lawyers are still subject to the same disciplinary rules, ethics rules. Nothing changes based on.
Speaker 2: That, despite some concerns about what it could do to the profession. It looks like private investment of various forms is coming to law. But is it a good investment? As with most investments, the answer is a resounding maybe.
Speaker 24: I would say, could Could it be a good investment? Well, it could be. You know, not every investment is ends up being a good investment, but that's also in some ways similar to investing in any other service business.
Speaker 2: Professor Wilkins recently put the question whether law firms could be good investments to some lawyers who also are venture capitalists.
Speaker 23: We did a wonderful two hours on exactly this, in which both of the venture capitalists said, I'd be very hesitant to invest in a law firm for exactly the reasons that you sit.
Speaker 2: And those reasons that make investing in law tricky include the fact that the major drivers of revenue, partners and their clients can simply walk out the door.
Speaker 24: Lawyers are free to leave. But can it be efficient enough and profitable enough to retain the talent that it needs in order to thrive and will the investment actually help it do those things?
Speaker 22: I think that's the biggest risk factor, and there's I think that and that raises the question of what value outside of the people side could an investor bring. Is it technology know how? Is it building a brand where the brand is bigger than the individual partners? And so I think there's the question that private equity in particular needs to be able to answer, which is what's the know how that they're bringing that firms can't do themselves.
Speaker 2: Whatever the risks are hurdles, it looks like private investments in the business of law are inevitable. It may not be in the room yet, but it's certainly knocking on the door of the legal establishment.
Speaker 22: I mean I get calls probably once a month from a private equity firm looking to understand the legal industry. So there's no question that they are interested in this, and they're trying to figure out how to make it work. I think unless it can be two plus two equals five, there's really no reason to do it. And I think that's where you also see the rub.
Speaker 2: That does it for us. Here at Wall Street Week, I'm David Weston. See you next week for more stories of adolism.