Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business Week, insight from the reporters and editors that bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenovek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Hi, everyone, Welcome to the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. It's definitely been a wild week in global markets, politics and geopolitics, and really in thinking around whether American exceptionalism is still a thing. President Trump addressed Congress tariffs against Canada, Mexico and China went into effect, then summer delayed Broadcom earning surprise to the upside, reassuring investors at the AI spend remains healthy. And we got a gut check on the US economy with the Friday jobs report, which was mixed steady hiring, bud a higher unemployment rate. All of the details can be found on the Bloomberg and at Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 1: Speaking of gut checks, Carol, we got a great one this week on the investment environment by spending time in the heart of New York's financial district at Bloomberg invest it's our annual live event, and it unites leaders in asset management, banking, wealth and private markets.
Speaker 3: We're going to bring you some of our conversations with those managing billions of dollars in the public and private markets and who have a front row seat when it comes to the investment environment.
Speaker 1: Including the president of the NYSC Group on whether an IPO boom is coming. Also New York Fed President John Williams talks tariffs and inflation.
Speaker 3: Plus a couple of conversations that brought tech and the investing world together, as Dell's Chief AI officer gives us a reality check on the AI spend. And then speaking of AI, we'll hear from sig Tech founder and CEO Bin Wren. His company provides an AI agent for financial services firms.
Speaker 1: First up, one of the discussions from the stage of Bloomberg invest Carol, you had a chance to talk to Lynn Martin, president of the NYSC Group. You guys talked about what some could say, perhaps maybe a boom in IPOs this year.
Speaker 3: Our chat happened on Tuesday beginning, just as markets opened, and we're selling off on tariff concerns. She reminded us not to panic.
Speaker 4: Remember that the S and P and the Dow in particular are still above the pre election level. So remember there was a big euphoria that occurred host election Day in the market, which was maybe overdone at that point. Potentially potentially, I mean markets recalibrate.
Speaker 3: So I was thinking about core Weave, backed by Nvidia cloud computing provider. They filed for an IPO Bloomberg reporting it could raise four billion.
Speaker 5: Dollars from the listing.
Speaker 3: It's expected to target evaluation greater than thirty five billion dollars. We are expecting kind of a wave of potentially sizable listings this year. On a day when the market sold off, it was the worst selloffs so far this year. What was more interesting to you, was it the selloff or the core Weave listing.
Speaker 4: The what you will see now our companies start to flip public. But it's a timing thing. What most people don't appreciate is if you're a private company, your financials go stale at some point, so you need to restate financials.
Speaker 5: That's what happens between.
Speaker 4: Sort of that mid February to end of February, when you get your audited financials for the previous business year. So I anticipate, based on our pipeline, we're going to start to see some companies flip public. We had one flip public called Mountain.
Speaker 3: Are you hearing from companies you're busy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we are busy. We are busy.
Speaker 4: We're busy not just from the perspective of working with our pipeline to actually get them out the door so in execution mode, but also we're very busy in terms of pitches. Are you where companies are, you know, making their tians. They're making plans for more like second half of sizable ones, small.
Speaker 5: Yeah, decent, decent sized ones, mix of both.
Speaker 3: Now, are you worried though about our world is day to day where whatever comes out of Washington, every executive order, whatever press event happens from the Oval Office because it moves markets can Are you concerned about what you're hearing now and what seems to be optimism for IPOs that that could get derailed.
Speaker 4: The only way that I think it's going to get derailed is if the volatility in the market becomes outsized, and I don't think it'll get derailed.
Speaker 6: We've moved up a little bit, but we've moved.
Speaker 4: Up a little bit but you know, a Vicks around twenty is still fine.
Speaker 7: So there's.
Speaker 6: Is there something that the president could do?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: He seems to be very focused on three key areas, or this administration is focused on three key areas, border security, resolving the wars that have sadly overtaken other other nations, and our economy. And what you're seeing right now is confluence of all three come into the four and start to affect policy.
Speaker 3: It's a lot, yeah.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: What about the raid environment, because we have seen the US Treasury curve move down YEP, significantly, Yeah, and interesting the last few days.
Speaker 5: If we see.
Speaker 3: That move down, I guess there's a couple scenarios, right, moving down without a recession better, especially for the IPO market. Like, tell me some of the other factors that you think about that will determine what happens this year.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, if you also look at the raid environment, that's going to affect mortgages, it's going to affect loans, it's going to affect other parts of the ecosystem. You look at the bank stocks for example, they're doing quite well at the moment. That's probably more to do with promises on the regulatory side as opposed.
Speaker 5: To the interest rate side.
Speaker 4: But there are a variety of other parts of the ecosystem that would benefit from a lower rate environment.
Speaker 5: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: What do you think of at the private equity world in terms of finally looking to spin out some of their investments. Yeah, not in an easy environment, we know that, Carlisle telling Reuters we're looking maybe for four billion dollars worth of maybe you know investments coming out. What are you hearing or what are your expectations. Do we finally see some of the private equity investors somehow you know, either IPO selling assets.
Speaker 7: What do you expect?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've seen a couple of sponsor backed deals go out last year. Actually Standard Era was one that did particularly well. That was a Carlisle deal that did particularly well in October last year, raising north of a billion and trading really well in the secondary market. I think the more deals that get done good valuations and raise good amounts of capital and then importantly trade well in the secondary market given the liquidity and demand from investors, think you'll start to see some of the sponsors start to start to float their aged assets or look to the m and A markets. So it's not just about IPOs. This administration is also promising a more favorable m and A environment, which is another area that's attractive to sponsors.
Speaker 3: Lyn One thing I want to ask you Bloomberg reporting about a couple of weeks ago. Have three of the US's four largest IPOs this year have traded below their offer price in their first session?
Speaker 5: So many we consider that? Yeah, it's it's been a quiet though.
Speaker 3: Does that tell you that they shouldn't have gone public, that they went too soon?
Speaker 4: No, I think I think there's just a question on the valuations.
Speaker 5: Maybe, but.
Speaker 4: Sometimes that happens. Yeah, First of all, there's been very few.
Speaker 5: Deals that have gone.
Speaker 4: We've had a couple of deals have done really well. If you look at Floco and Carmen, Space and defense, those are in industries that are very attractive to investors at the moment, done really well. It's a bit of an art that the bankers have to do. They'll figure out the right valuation mixed with investor investor demand. The companies that are trading below they haven't had their first earnings calls yet. I mean, let's see, let's see.
Speaker 5: Where we're saying, be patient a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not an instantaneous it's not an instantaneous judgment on a companies. Let's see how some of those companies do, particularly like a Venture Global, who's really well positioned in the LNG markets, all the infrastructure moves that are taking place in this country.
Speaker 3: We've got two minutes. There's two things I want to ask you. In twenty twenty one, the USIPO market hit a record high. There are some expectations that we could get back to pre pandemic level. On the record, do you think we could get there this year?
Speaker 4: I think twenty twenty one is an anomaly. I think twenty twenty two is an anomaly. I think those are two ends of the bell curve, positive and negative. When you can said, depending on what your perspective is on twenty one and twenty two, I think we'll get back to a more normal IPO environment where companies raise and aggregate about fifty billion dollars. Yeah, there's a good number that actually go out. We would have gotten there last year. I think if we didn't have a pause in the summer which we saw, which was all sparked by the election, an uncertainty around the election. So if you had asked me last may or June. I thought we were on pace for a pretty normal IPO year for twenty four, So I think we'll get there in twenty five.
Speaker 3: The other thing I've got to ask you, there's so much money in the private yeah world, Anthropic closing a deal to raise three and a half billion and evaluation of sixty one and a half billion open ai I meantime currently talks to raise forty billion SoftBank other investors for an even larger three hundred million dollar valuation.
Speaker 7: I could go on and on.
Speaker 3: How does that hold back the IPO market that especially?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is it just the AI world that is able to tap it?
Speaker 4: In your view, I think when a company comes out, they are more ready to be a public company. I'm more ready to be a public company. I mean, you've got durable growth, you can articulate, very clear strategy, a very disciplined piano.
Speaker 6: So this is a good thing.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good thing. I think the private markets and the public markets have to work in concert.
Speaker 3: All right, So thirteen seconds, this is what we call a super rapid round. Okay, what's the most optimistic view for the IPO market?
Speaker 4: This year most optimistic IPO. I think you're going to have a normal environment. Last year if I look at the companies, the most important thing that I look at as a secondary market for IPOs, companies that listed on the New York Stock Exchange treated fifty eight percent above their IPO price. So I think we're going to hopefully see that type of growth in the secondary just post IPO market.
Speaker 7: SHU.
Speaker 3: Last question, flipside to that is what's the biggest risk.
Speaker 4: So the biggest risk of volatility the things that are unexpected that happen in the market from time to time. I don't have a crystal ball. I don't know what that's going to be. Unfortunately, I don't know what's going to cause that unexpected shock. But I think the market does recognize those three pillars, resolving geopolitical conflict, border security, and focusing on a strong domestic economy. So as long as the administration stays within those three pillars, I don't know that there's much that's going to derail things.
Speaker 3: But the risk sounds like it'll come from Washington.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 4: I actually have no idea it could be. I mean, you look at something like deep seek. I heard the folks right before the panel, right before this talk about deep seek. That was a big surprise that caused the market to react pretty negatively when those now, when those yeah, when those usage numbers came out. That has nothing to do with anything that's happening.
Speaker 1: In DC our Thanks to Lynn Martin, president of the NYS Group, in a panel discussion with Carol at Bloomberg invest in New York City. A couple of days after that chat, we got the news that Klarna is said to be seeking to raise at least a billion dollars in an IPO. That's according to people familiar coming up.
Speaker 3: There are FED speakers, and then there are FED speakers, cheer J Powell. Of course, anytime he talks, we are all sitting up a little bit straight or listening to what he has to say. And then there's also the President of the New York Fed.
Speaker 1: That is John Williams, who talks tariffs and more. When Bloomberg Business Week continues, this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: More of our highlights from Bloomberg invest in New York City this past week that gathers allocators, deal makers and investors from across the globe to track, dissect, and navigate the markets with the industry's most influential voices and.
Speaker 1: Safe to say, among those that markets and investors watch the most, the Federal Reserve and a key voting member of the US Central Banks Policy Setting Committee, the President of the New York Fed, John Williams.
Speaker 3: He spoke with Bloomberg News International Economics and Policy correspondent Michael McKee about President Donald Trump's tariffs and their possible impact on inflation.
Speaker 8: You know, when we look at the research that looks at the effects of terrorists on the US economy, you know, one of the things that's highlights it depends whether it's consumer goods. It depends on whether it's goods that lots of countries produce, and a lot of things like that. So you know, it really made sense to let's wait and see find out more about what policies may be put in place, and then kind of you know, come to I would say, you know, conditional judgments about what does it mean for the US economy, and as you said, we are seeing more actual actions on tariff and different dimensions. I would still highlight there's a lot of uncertainty. We don't know how long the tariffs will apply. We don't know what other countries may do in response to this. We don't We also don't know what else may happen in this, you know, in the kind of realm of trade policy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: My own view is that, based on experience from a previous episodes, based on analysis, is that you know, tariffs on consumer goods especially, they do feed into import prices pretty strongly. That does filter into prices that consumers pay. That happens relatively soon tariffs and feed into kind of intermediate inputs the things that companies use to make other things and to make other things. Those tend to pass through more gradually and have maybe last a little bit longer in terms of effects. My view is that, you know, based on what we know today, given all the uncertainties around that, you know, I do factor in some effects of tariffs now on inflow on prices, because I think we will see some of those effects later this year, not yet, but maybe later this year. I Also you have to factor in how does that affect economic activity, decisions by businesses to invest, consumers to spend, And that's where I think another big uncertainty is we've seen some kind of movements in the data in the last couple of months. I think some of that's in anticipation of tariffs, So it's hard to really read the tea leaves there. But that's something else we'll be watching carefully, is to what extent is that affecting consumer confidence, business confidence. You know, the uncertainty around this and the effects of the tariffs on economic growth and employment and things like that. So still a lot of uncertainty, I think, directionally somewhat higher prices in the outlook at least in mind kind of thinking about what's happening, but also a lot of uncertainty about how the economy responds to this.
Speaker 1: That was John Williams, President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. We had a chance to to catch up with Bloomberg's Mike McKee after his conversation with Williams at Bloomberg invest.
Speaker 9: They've been very circumspective about it all, trying to stay out of it and telling us we have to wait and see what they're going to do, But now there's enough information out there that apparently they're ready to start saying. This is going to be an inflation issue now, as John pointed out, we don't know yet how much of one. He said, consumer pass through to consumers would be fairly strong, especially for finished goods, and then it's a little harder to know in the intermediate goods area how much of that gets passed along and how fast, but that there would be more inflation from this, and that didn't suggest to me like he's in any hurry to cut interest rates unless we see the economy collapse.
Speaker 3: Is he worried about economic growth?
Speaker 9: He's not worried about echeconomic growth going into all of this, because the economy was in very good shape coming into the year. What he isn't sure about is where we go from here. What kind of effect is this going to have? And he mentioned we talked about consumer confidence and if confidence evaporates, then you've got a real problem in the economy, and it's something he said, we have to watch closely.
Speaker 1: What about when it comes to independence of the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 10: He said he wasn't worried about it.
Speaker 9: Obviously, the FED continuously says an independent central bank is important because that's when you can do monetary policy.
Speaker 10: Best.
Speaker 6: DOSE hasn't really made its way into the FED, you know.
Speaker 9: I've been asking around at various FED banks, and no twenty somethings with the computer coding stuff have come into the banks. They are set up legally a little different from most government agencies, so it appears that DOJE might not have access to the Federal Reserve. And I don't think that even if they did come in there, they'd let them into the computer systems.
Speaker 6: That would be kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: But anyway, anything that surprised you in your conversation with John Williams up on stage, I mean, they tend to be very careful, right and right.
Speaker 9: Well, not a surprise, but he did say that there's no need to change rates now. Asked him if what he was saying about uncertainty and we have to wait to find out what happens, if that meant that they were not going to change rates on March nineteenth, then he basically said, yes, there's no reason to do that right now. The economy is in a good place, Monetary policies in a good place, and we don't have an idea of what is going to happen.
Speaker 1: But if we do know now that tariffs have been imposed on Mexico and Canada and prices indeed do go higher, and perhaps we see some inflationary effects from that, how does that change the outlook for the FED this year?
Speaker 10: Well, it all depends on.
Speaker 9: And I'm going to sound like an economist here, it all depends on how all this comes through to the economy. Because if there are one off tariffs, if Donald Trump changes his mind tomorrow and takes them off or something like that, or if we just have this wall of tariffs hit now, it'll raise prices, but then prices will stop going up because they went up once. So that's not an inflation issue that the FED needs to react to because higher interest rates aren't going to change the price level. So that's what they need to figure out.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 9: The way Trump has talked about putting on tariffs, with tariff's going on today, tariff's going on next week, tariff's going on April second, that could create more of an inflation issue because you're continually adding higher prices to the mix. Obviously, Americans aren't going to be happy about paying more at the grocery store, and they're not going to be happy about paying more for gasoline. I don't know if you noticed that. The gas buddy guy said in the Northeast, for our Boston listeners, they could go up forty cents a gallon this week.
Speaker 1: So we explain how that works with oil price is falling on a day like today.
Speaker 9: Well, oil prices are only one component of all this. There's the refining issues, and then oil prices we talk about in a generic sense West Texas Intermediate, but all these refineries use different grades of oil, and in the Northeast there's a lot of heavier oil you get from Canada and some other places, and if that's going to go up in price, then that's going to increase the cost of the refiners and they're going to pass that along to you.
Speaker 1: Somebody like Donald Trump would say, it's an example of why we should be using energy that is produced here in the United.
Speaker 9: States, except that there's the energy we produce to the United States. It differs all over the place.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 10: The Bakan.
Speaker 9: Shale up in North Dakota is more similar to the heavy crud we get from Canada. But the stuff we're getting from Texas, as they like to say, is light, sweet, crude.
Speaker 10: Nice name. It's like at George Carlon thing, nice.
Speaker 1: Name, the name of Joe Wisenthal's band, exactly.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And that's a completely different kind of oil. And the refiners, you know, different refiners can't use these different oils. So it's going to be a price question, and energy is going to be one of the first areas to feel it.
Speaker 3: Mike, you talked about, you know, if we continue to see more tariffs being imposed, you know, that would be tougher on the economy. I mean, I am thinking about what we've got right now. Can the US economy is its strong enough to kind of manage if this is it?
Speaker 6: Manage it?
Speaker 9: When you go to the gas station and you have to pay more money, how are you going to react? That's really the question here, because recession is a confidence issue. If people feel that things are going to go badly, or that prices are going to go way up, or they might lose their jobs, then they stop spending and they start holding on the money, and then companies are making less and then they're hiring less, and you get into a recessionary spiral. We haven't seen one like that, you know, a long time, because the last couple of recessions have been basically finance based now and the COVID was its own generic thing. But the traditional kind of recession could come along. We can't rule that out. So it's something you want to keep an eye on the confidence figures and then watch what people do. Do they keep spending or does that slow down?
Speaker 3: Can I just say a little informal twitters survey like are you spending or holding back?
Speaker 6: And more people say that they're holding back.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that because well a good sample or but it's just interesting to see we're hearing that from people.
Speaker 9: Last week we had the PC spending, the savings rate went way up, and people spent less money the savings the spending levels way down. So at this point it looks like people are baby pulling back down. Is that a one month thing or does that continue?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: John Williams still telling you the US economy is in a good place.
Speaker 9: Well, it came into the year in a good place and people were feeling good. We spent a lot of money over the holidays, and companies had plans for capital investments. And now everybody's kind of sitting back and going, wait, let's see what's going to happen now. Does that translate into okay, we better stop or is that like, okay, we can live with this and get back to what we were doing.
Speaker 5: Mike, you have.
Speaker 3: Reported on so many different economic cycles, and yes, there are those extreme cases like the Great Financial Crisis or a pandemic where you know, everything just kind of falls off a cliff. Having said that, I feel like two weeks ago or three weeks ago, we weren't even using the word recession in a conversation, and all of a sudden we are. And again, I know you talk about the importance of sentiment, but as someone who sees cycles, when we start to talk about it doesn't necessarily mean that okay, it's more likely that people are starting to you know what I mean, If they're starting to talk about it and it's part of their considerations.
Speaker 9: It probably is a little bit more likely as the say Wall Street is predicted seven or the last three recessions. So it doesn't mean it doesn't mean it's going to happen, but it is something you want to keep an eye on. And we've had some backup to this the weaker spending reports and then the Atlanta fat GDP now, which people completely misunderstand what it is. It's not a forecast for what GDP is. It's like, given the data we have today, it's a snapshot in time.
Speaker 1: What it is called GDP now, yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, and which just why it moves around some much.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it moves around tremendously through the entire quarter.
Speaker 9: But that got into people's minds on Wall Street and it starts to scare people, and then they start writing about it, and then people are reading about it, and then they start thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Hey, one thing we haven't gotten a chance to talk to you about is what Washington, DC looks like in the wake of the doche cuts just anecdotally speaking heard of a guy down there who did lose his job just in the wake of what's happening, and he's essentially saying that in his neighborhood, half the families are now one income parents because of job cuts just in the last few months.
Speaker 9: I was just down there yesterday, and I can tell you I lived in Washington for twenty years, and it's the most depressing place right now. Everybody is down. Everybody is nervous and tense. Even if you have a job and you don't think you're going to lose it, you're worried about what the overall impact is going to be. And a lot of it is not just because people are getting fired, but because there's all this.
Speaker 10: Uncertainty about what's going to happen. The sort of.
Speaker 9: Democles is hanging over so many people, and so it's not a fun place at the moment.
Speaker 1: That was Michael McKee, Bloomberg News International Economics and Policy Correspondent. Be sure to check out Mike's full conversation with John Williams. Find that on the Bloomberg and at Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: Still ahead on Bloomberg BusinessWeek, a peek into the world of private markets and private credit with the global head of wealth management at Aris Management.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Applecarplay and the Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa played Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: We continue with highlights from our coverage at Bloomberg invest held in downtown New York City this past week. Now, we talk often about how the public markets still trump the private markets when it comes to size, but it's hard to ignore the growth that we've seen in areas such as private credit, which grew to about one point six trillion dollars last year from four hundred and fifty two billion dollars just ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Aris Management knows a thing or two about private credit, having been involved in the market for a quarter of a century. The publicly held, a global alternative investment manager with an approximately fifty three billion dollar market cap, has four hundred and eighty four billion dollars in assets under.
Speaker 3: Management, which is why we wanted to talk with Raj Donda, global head of Wealth Management at Aris Wealth Management Solutions he joined us at Bloomberg invest.
Speaker 11: The advisors we talked to and their clients are really frustrated by this type of volatility.
Speaker 12: You know, we're.
Speaker 11: Essentially where we were, you know, early November, right in the public markets, and that backdrop makes it really hard to work diligently on a portfolio that has above, you know, at or above target returns and at the end of the day, individuals have almost as much wealth as institutional clients. They've just never had the access to the private markets, and that's starting to change. A lot of our discussion is not just should they invest in the private markets, but it's how all that said, A day like today is distracting at a minimum, because most of our clients still have eighty or ninety percent in the markets, and the headlines and the volatility are going to certainly be a distraction at a minimum.
Speaker 1: So would you say that yesterday's a poster child certainly of why people invest in privates, But would you say it's also a reason why people should consider allocating more of their portfolios to privates.
Speaker 12: I would, and I think the.
Speaker 11: Investment thesis is what really comes out at a time like this. We're quite clear that the private markets are illiquid. That's why you've got to higher risk adjusted return.
Speaker 1: You can't just call up and sell when you want to, And.
Speaker 11: The top advisors that we work with will tell you that keeping their clients invested can be challenging, particularly again at times like this. But the private markets in twenty years have changed completely in terms of the breath of solutions. You can invest in sports and media assets, you can invest in real estate and infrastructure. You can have some durbal income solutions from private credit. So the way we think about it is you should have equity exposure. You can do that in both the public and the fixed income markets. You should have some kind of credit or income. You can do that in public and private markets. And then you should have some real assets. You should own some real estate, you should own some form of infrastructure. Is a really tax efficient solution, and you can do all of that in both the public and private markets.
Speaker 12: You couldn't do that twenty years ago, even ten year years ago.
Speaker 6: I am curious.
Speaker 3: You know, we're so Washington focused right now, and you can understand why, right because there's so much that's coming down and some of it does impact the markets. What I'm curious about is when it comes to private markets, are there constructive conversations you guys are yet having with the administration or that you think have to be had when it comes to private markets.
Speaker 11: There are certainly conversations to have with any administration around the evolution of the private markets and how to make it easier to invest in the private markets. Areas has been in business for over twenty five years, and so we've worked with many administrations. This one is just getting their feet on the ground.
Speaker 12: It's early.
Speaker 11: They're certainly pro growth and pro business, and so some of that narrative we support and are happy about. But I would say they haven't yet really dug in on the type of change that would have a day to day impact on what we're doing.
Speaker 3: What would you like to see in terms of what happens for oversight in terms of private markets? You and I talked ahead of this conversation, and one of the issues is the transparency issues. And I know you talked about what you guys do in terms of I guess spreading around risk. Right, it's not like you're one investment in one particular investment. When it's the private markets, it's multiple investments. But what do you think needs to be government oversight or what you provide transparency to your investors? But does there need to be something more?
Speaker 11: Well, i'd step back because you're going to get something that's sort of paramount to any type of investment approach, which is manager selection and the diligence that goes into an investment firms track record, and so as the private markets grow and as there's a significant amount of new entrants. There are going to be firms that may not have a twenty five year track record or may not be able to speak to prior periods, whether it was the GFC or the emerging markets or other challenging times. So we definitely think in any of the whether it's private credit, or real estate or secondaries, all these areas, a twenty twenty five year track record is really helpful, right, and not everyone has it today.
Speaker 12: In the private markets, you know.
Speaker 11: We think the expectations related to transparency are no less than the private markets than the public markets. Institutional and high net worth clients expect us to provide them a significant amount of transfer today already today, So we don't think of what we do as.
Speaker 12: Changing that commitment to our investors.
Speaker 3: What do you think about private opening up to more retail investors and then does that change in terms of the transparency issues.
Speaker 13: Well.
Speaker 11: So, of course, the growth that you reference that we talked about on our earnings call it areas. This sort of marriage of alternatives in the wealth channel is a secular trend, democratization of alternatives. That growth is being driven primarily by individuals with over a million to invest in the US. That addressable market is an excess of eighty trillion and grew beyond that last year, so that's plenty to do. They all are still struggling to grow an allocation. Some of the limits in their allocations.
Speaker 12: Are where you're.
Speaker 11: Going, which is there are state limits on how much they can allocate there, or in some cases federal oversight that limits the allocation. Individual banks have their own suitability requirements, but fundamentally, this high net worth individual that has over a million dollars to invest gives us a massive runway to provide education and new solutions.
Speaker 1: To accredited investors. Correct, that's right. There are some folks in your industry who say we need to essentially say we need to get rid of those rules about accredited investors because it will give more opportunities to folks to get in on deals early and have more upside. It doesn't sound like you're actually saying that you're saying that accredit investors, there's enough dry powder there essentially for you.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 11: I mean, I do think that over time, as we work to investors that even less to deploy lower sophistication, there's an opportunity to provide them solutions they don't get today. You know, a big part of what we do is not just raise money, but deploy it. And the fundraising and the growth in the private markets is you know, driving a lot of the headlines, but one of the things we want to make sure is it's deployed reasonably, thoughtfully, and ARES has got a real comitment to local origination, whether in real estate or credit or any of our areas. And we were talking before the call about how important it is to build portfolios with small single investments, so you're very diversified. ARCC, which is one of the largest public BDC's, you know, the single name exposure there is two two and a half points.
Speaker 10: It's not a.
Speaker 11: Concentrated set of bets, really spread out, and to build that type of a portfolio you need to be able to have a significant feet on the ground and origination. But yes, do we think that non accredited investors are a growth area for the firm. Absolutely, But we think we're in the early innings of the high net worth investor allocating more to the wealth channel, and there will be a time when you know, not accredited investors will also get access to what we do.
Speaker 3: Rus how much bigger do you think the private credit market gets. I mean, it's just an incredible kind of the explosive growth that we've seen just in the last couple of years. And you and I talked on the call any Great Context reminding us that still the public markets are so much larger. But does it get to a point where the private market's rival, certainly on the equity side of things, or is that just crazy?
Speaker 11: Well, I think it provides a really attractive solution. It's floating rate. In ninety ninety six percent of the loans are floating rate. That's an important aspect because it minimizes the volatility that we've now seen with fixed income.
Speaker 12: Private credit is also higher yielding.
Speaker 11: And we're asked often, you know how much you know, what do we think of the growth? It's actually the growth is not really outsized versus private equity. It just has gotten a lot of attention in the last few years. Think about any sort of typical LBO. You need two quantums of debt for every amount of equity.
Speaker 12: So to have a proper.
Speaker 11: Functioning economy, the private credits have really private credit has really stepped in and some of the concerns where banks don't provide as much capital where you don't find other solutions.
Speaker 1: There are some critics out there who say that, you know, there's not the same oversight with private credit that there is with traditional lending through banks. Banks would like to say that I'm wondering if on your radar there's concern that there could be more regulation coming for private credit.
Speaker 11: I worked at a large bank for a while, and I understand that there is not the same leverage with the investment managers as there is or there used to be with banks. There's also an appropriate matching of capital and.
Speaker 12: Deploying it.
Speaker 11: So we have investors that provide us long term capital and it can't be called on a.
Speaker 12: Short on the short term.
Speaker 11: So actually, the large players in the private credit markets are very very different than banks when they were lending, either at the peak or even after the GFC. They don't have the same leverage. You might have one times leverage. They don't have the same volatility in the capital deploying, so it's a very different value proposition. It's not the same threat to the economy. We're not taking deposits from individuals and so on.
Speaker 1: That was Raj Donda, Global head of Wealth management at Aries Wealth Management.
Speaker 3: And that wraps up our first hour of the weekend edition at Bloomberg Business Week from Bloomberg Radio Ahead. In our next hour, more from Bloomberg invest held this past week in New York City, including getting really deep inside today's AI world with the global Chief Technology Officer and Chief AI Officer over at Dell, and yes, we might even talk a little Deep Seek.
Speaker 1: Deep Seek was actually one of the many things that Ben Ren and I spoke about at Bloomberg Invests. That's where he gave a demo of his GENAI product Magic. We'll hear a bit from that conversation and his predictions about the role AI will be playing in all of our lives in a very short time.
Speaker 3: And keeping your eye on the ball a mid market volatility. We'll talk about that with Goldman's co head of Global Private Wealth Management. Our coverage from Bloomberg invest continues. This is Bloomberg Business Week.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Blenny Ahead in our second hour of the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, as we broadcasted live from the Bloomberg invest event to the heart of New York's financial district this past week. Coming up, another read on today's market and investment environment with Mina Flynn, co head of Global Private wealth Management at Goldman Sachs.
Speaker 1: Plus we mix in subtechnology as many guests that invest talked about the changing landscape of investing, the role of fintech and yes, artificial intelligence.
Speaker 10: On AI.
Speaker 1: We'll hear from Ben Rahn, the founder and CEO of Sigtech, a company that's built a GENAI product to analyze financial markets, and.
Speaker 3: John Rose, global Chief Technology Officer and Chief AI Officer at Dell Technologies on Deepseek, the great AI spend and build out, and how companies are really using artificial intelligence.
Speaker 1: First up, though, more on today's market environment and keeping your cool amid volatility. That was top of mind as we sat down with Mina Flynn, co head of Global Private Wealth Management at Goldman Sachs from Bloomberg invest Our conversation on Tuesday. Was a day when markets were pretty volatile amid US tariff concerns.
Speaker 14: I think the number one thing that we have to remember is that when it comes to individuals, the first thing you focus on is portfolio construction. Portfolio construction drives ninety percent of a client's returns and it's something that we talk about upfront and then on an ongoing basis with them. And the reason why this is so important is in times of volatility such as we've had this week, and what you don't want is you don't want investors to be taking so much risk that they become uncomfortable and they sell, they crystallize a loss versus staying put or buying. But on the flip side, we want to make sure that we encourage clients to take enough risks so that they offset inflation on an after tax, after spending basis.
Speaker 6: So our portfolio are.
Speaker 14: Really constructed with investment, great high quality fixed income and then a good amount of equities and alternatives.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the equities first in terms of geographic exposure for those equities, what has it traditionally been And look, we know it's not a monolith. Every client is certainly different, but in general, how do you think about US equities versus equities outside of the US.
Speaker 14: Sure, so we prefer US equities, and we prefer that both in both public markets as well as private markets. Big picture, we have roughly about a forty percent allocation to public equities. The largest allocation of that is to US equities, and then outside of that developed international equities, we do have a small percentage to emerging markets. But then also I would say we have recently increased our allocation to private markets into private equity and specifically as it relates to buy out and growth. And the reason why is because these are two sub sectors of alternatives where you see a significant amount of alpha relative to public market markets, and also the distributions of returns is much more narrow than other subasset classes within alternatives.
Speaker 3: In terms of private equity, are you upbeat about the ability to exit, to see start seeing exits, which is something that has been really difficult over the last few years.
Speaker 14: It has been difficult as it relates to public markets. I'm upbeat as it relates to private equity on two things. One is, I do think to the extent that you have opportunities right now in public markets to be able to take companies private. I think that's an attractive opportunity for private equity companies.
Speaker 6: Second, I do.
Speaker 14: Think that there's a lot of opportunities for private equity companies in the private markets, so they don't necessarily have to only think about taking a company public or M and A as their only alternative to liquidity.
Speaker 6: So a lot of.
Speaker 14: Secondary private exits, a lot of continuation funds. The other thing I would note, although, is if you look at growth valuations and in private equity, what you have seen is you have seen a normalization of valuations between public and private market. And the reason why is because you've had really strong performance with these portfolio companies and it's allowed these companies to grow into the target exit valuations that these gps were looking for. So I do think when you have a little bit more stabilization in the markets, you're going to see more deal activity, both as relates to IPO as well as.
Speaker 5: M and A.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about potential stabilization in the markets. Just in the last couple of weeks, we've certainly seen things change quite a bit. What's your outlook?
Speaker 14: So I would just say the thing that I'm really thinking about is the sequencing of policies, and so if you look at the Trump administration, it is a pro business administration. But what we're seeing right now is some of the negative hits to growth come first, whether that's immigration or whether that's tariffs. Before in the second half of the year we're probably going to see some sort of tax reform as well as deregulation, and so I think what we've got to be mindful of is a little bit of that curve. Generally, the number one driver of US equity returns is a growing economy. Even with the tear rates that we're talking about right now, we still do anticipate that we're going to have positive GDP in the US, and so from here we still do see equity market upside in the US.
Speaker 3: So mean, you guys don't think about recession because it does feel like all of a sudden, the narratives change a little bit. We've seen weaker consumer spending numbers, consumer sentiment numbers, manufacturing data, So recession off the table completely.
Speaker 14: For this, It's definitely, it's definitely not off the table, and we absolutely are looking at the data. But you're also looking at a growth of over two percent, you know, two and a half percent, and so we have the odds of a recession even with these tariffs relatively low, call it fifteen to twenty percent. I do think it's important to take a step back and just look at we've got an SMP that's down roughly one percent year to date. Right, We've got a lot of volatility, but we've got an sp that's down one percent year to date.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 14: Where you've really seen that underperformance is in the consumer to the macro points that you were talking about, as well as in technology, just because you've had some of the growth decrease in earnings outperformance versus called the rest of the four ninety three r But outside of consumer technology, all of the other sectors are positive. And so what I'm really focused on is the earnings path for the other four ninety three. I think the max seven is going to be fine, but what we're going to see versus twenty four is likely a lot more earnings growth. So call it three percent and twenty four roughly eight nine percent this year. And so, and just your point as it relates to tariffs, we anticipate that every one percent increase in the effective tear rate decreases growth by roughly ten bases points and increases inflation by ten bases points, so it is manageable. I mean, it's going to depend on what happens, how long those tariffs are in place, if they're rolling or not. I think if they're rolling tariffs, it's going to be much more hard from an inflation perspective.
Speaker 6: Do you think that's up in the air.
Speaker 3: Do you think that these are going to be lasting tariffs that stick around for a long time, Will there be more possibly or do you think that things could change in a week and a month.
Speaker 14: I think things could absolutely change overnight in a week and a month. And I do think that there's the opportunity to also make a deal with you know, Mexico Canada in the near term and actually, you know, have those tariffs reduced. And so I think the ultimate is we don't know what's going to happen, and we just the main thing we're focused on is that economic data.
Speaker 1: Do you think that tariffs on Mexico and Canada are more damaging than tariffs on China, because it does seem like the Mexico and Canada tariffs there is this off ramp when it comes to you know, what the President and his team have called essentially the border crisis and the drug war. Yeah, I mean, I think we don't necessarily see that off ramp.
Speaker 14: Yeah, when you look at twenty five percent tariffs that you're talking about with Canada and Mexico, it's much more substantial than the tariffs that you've actually seen on China. And so when you think about that effective tariff for tariff rate right now, it's roughly about eight percent. If things stays as they have been announced, an eight percent tariff rate would actually hit growth by roughly call it, you know, eighty basis points, and what increase inflation by roughly eighty basis points. That being said, we already had inflation coming down from where it is right now, and so we probably get to roughly a three percent level if that's the case. Again, it's not our estimate or our perspective that tear of state at these levels, But if that's the case, you still have an opportunity for the FED to be able to react if you have inflation even at that three percent level. And so what we saw in twenty nineteen is the FED cut as an insurance cut. And could we see that again today or you know, call it May, June, December. Absolutely, And I think the market's pricing more of that today. That's exactly what traders are pricing in three rate cuts. What kind of blows my mind is though, as you say, things could change quickly overnight, in a week, in a day, and that's kind of the environment that we've seen and we've seen it play out in terms of the rate environment. One thing I want to ask you, because I think there's been an assumption when it comes to President Trump his tolerance of, you know, market volatility, that he was watching the equity markets. It was kind of interesting to see, I feel like over the last few days where the markets had certainly the equity markets had some problems, and we just had this assumption that President Trump would do something, say something. I'm curious, how like, what's the conversation you guys all have around that. I mean, definitely there's put whatever you want. Yeah, I mean, there's definitely their perspective that there was going to be a deal done, which is why you know, the markets are reacting like they are. And you do have a president that has really focused on pro business policies, but at the end of the day, he's very focused on bringing manufacturing and jobs back to the US and The question is can we withstand that volatility? Can the consumer withstand that volatility? Can CEOs withstand that volatility and continue to invest in their businesses?
Speaker 1: Before we let you go, Mina crypto, is it part of the alternatives in a portfolio for your ultra high networth clients?
Speaker 14: It's not part of our client's portfolios. And the main reason that is is because we don't see it as a store of value. It's very hard to actually value.
Speaker 1: Oh, please take for the crypto folks in the back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So you don't.
Speaker 1: See it as a store of value, is what you said.
Speaker 14: We don't see the store of value and entiley volatile asset and it's hard under what valuation metrics do you actually value it? So no, we don't have it as a part of our core asset allocation.
Speaker 3: That was Mina Flynn, co head of Global Private Wealth Management at Golman Sachs.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Bloomberg Business Week coming up AI and financial services. The founder and CEO of sigtech stops by to share his magic. That's short for Multi Agent Generative Investment copilots. Carol say that five times. I like it though.
Speaker 3: Magic that's next.
Speaker 7: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Apple car Play and the Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa played Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: A big theme at Bloomberg Invests this year No Surprise was AI, artificial intelligence, specifically the monetization. It feels like that we're all wondering and questioning around AI. How investors are extracting value from it, the risks, the opportunities across public and private portfolios, and where the smart money is moving.
Speaker 1: On that, I caught up with Ben Wren, founder and CEO of the London based fintech sig Tech. It's one off of Brevin Howard back in twenty nineteen. It now offers a GENAI tool called Magic. It's basically this group of AI agents that analyze financial markets and bin says work that would typically take quants and analysts hours to do, Magic can do in less than a minute. I spoke with him after he gave a demo to the folks at Bloomberg invest We.
Speaker 15: Know we work with clients to focus on workflows. The share a few characteristics. I would describe them as intellectual but not creative. For example, one of our biggest clients, they are using us to completely transform the commercial loan and the writing. To be honest, when you are when you are the human professionals and the writing commercial loans, you don't really want to be creative. So it's a very intellectual but not creative endeavor.
Speaker 7: But it's very it's very boring.
Speaker 15: The other one is it's very it's very manual because, for example, on the commercial loan applications, each each firm has to apply in their own format.
Speaker 7: There is no standard or template for.
Speaker 15: The applications, so each business is just sending their documents in whatever, you know, formats that they feel comfortable with. They could be a multily part of PDFs, slides and excel spreasures. And that is I want to make one statement which is very interesting, which is in finance, we create documents and materials by humans for humans. So if you look at all these presentations, right, actually the most important information we actually spend extra time to turn it into a graphic. Right, we want to visualize actually the most important information in our slides, because that's how we make an impact on the human reader. But it turns out this information in that format is really not very friendly to large language models. So a lot of our efforts want to make sure that we can actually extract that virual information into a format that we can work with with using large language models.
Speaker 1: Then when I saw you using magic demonstrating it for everybody, there was a little font at the bottom that said something along the lines of this is not investment advice. There could be errors in here. Make sure to use independent research, something along those lines. Obviously, I'm not a lawyer. What is the risk with just taking what it spits out and pasting and giving it to your boss.
Speaker 15: I think for regulated services and businesses, the human will stay in the loop for the foreseeable future. Regulators the entire regulation framework is about it's human centric right. So the regulator want to make sure that someone is staying the loop and is accountable for the actions and consequences. So in these businesses, AI agents they can automate a huge amount of work knowledge work. We have seen people used to spend six hours in processing loan applications. Now they only need to spend thirty seconds. That's two hundred x improvement in speed actually makes a huge impact, but someone has to be there and supervise. That's why this user interface UI design its super important.
Speaker 7: Because as we scale the capabilities.
Speaker 15: Of the intelligence, how do we make sure that the human is not overwhelmed by a new type of work?
Speaker 1: But how do you know that what Magic produces is correct?
Speaker 7: There are two There are actually many ways to do it.
Speaker 15: First, as the large language models get better, they are more and more grounded. For example, the latest generations of reasoning models they essentially build. They are building self reflection and self critique. So the quality of the response is going up, and that's just mainly because of the pre training and post training breakthrough by the foundational model air Labs. But on the other hand, as we build Magic and the build AI agents, we're actually building grounding into it. So as responses come back, we always want to provide citations quotes so the human can click away from verifying it.
Speaker 1: The whole idea behind the products such as this is to give you and edge over your competitors to find that alpha. But what happens when my competitor asks Magic the same question? That I asked, you'll get a result that's the same, and then you won't actually have that advantage.
Speaker 15: I think if you ask exactly the same question, you'll probably get some very similar.
Speaker 7: But I do think the nature of.
Speaker 15: The work going forward will become each individual contributors will become a supervisor. I think that's a fundamental shift in the world how.
Speaker 7: We do our jobs. I think today we're going in there.
Speaker 15: Most of ours are individual contributors, but it's like transition from a PhD researcher pH student to a supervisor to a research director. The other thing is I think people will ask different questions. I think, you know, people have heard about the phrase prompt engineering for a few years now, but it's surprising to me how difficult or counterintuitive it is to most people. I would say, there are no substitute for spending ten hours of your time on seriously learning how to have a productive conversation and that try to poke, try to push the limit of what this model can do or not do. I think the difference is most likely we'll come down to who ask the questions and who can follow up with better questions.
Speaker 1: So it really raises the question I think in the financial services industry about what this looks like if it's widely adopted in terms of what it does to workforces and how it changes the way companies think about who they need to hire and who they need to pay. If this does the work that a quant can do in forty five seconds that would take a quant what three to six hours, then what do the quants do?
Speaker 7: I think the quants will fund more interesting things to do.
Speaker 15: The truth is, I think, if a think about it up to this point, the technology made a difference only in the field of what we call explicit knowledge. Right, we ultimate stuff, but in order to automate that knowledge has to be explicit something we can write down, codify, you know, almost linearly, and then we get people to implement it in Python on some other programming language, then automated.
Speaker 7: But that a huge amount of.
Speaker 15: Tacit knowledge that exists, especially in industries like financial services. That's why we have human experts. They are experts because they have knowledge in their head that's based on years of experience. But that's simply impossible to write down in a very codified, simplified way. But now with large language models and AI agents, what we have learned is that for the first time, we can use AI agents to distill these testing knowledge from human experts into automated processes. I think that's where the breakthrough will really come from.
Speaker 1: You told me in one of our prep calls ahead of this panel that by the end of this year the workforce will likely be half human half AI agents. You stick to that right now?
Speaker 7: I think half half, Yes.
Speaker 15: I think by the end of next year we probably ritual will be for each one of us.
Speaker 7: There will be multiple AI agents. So the I mean I.
Speaker 15: Think by the end of this year we'll all be very familiar with the concept of a hybrid workforce. But in the next year, I think that racial well keep going.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're talking about a fundamental shift in the way that an economy runs. Here, contextualize this moment in economic history for us. Is this like the Industrial Revolution? Is it like the rise of the internet and the browser in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 7: Where are we I think about this in terms of electricity.
Speaker 15: I think we are very close to a point where intelligence, in terms of you know, streaming tokens, will be on tap, similar to electricity on tap.
Speaker 7: Now recently you looked into it. I mean it's quite interesting.
Speaker 15: In the last two hundred years, each country on average spent about one percent of the nominal GDP building and upgrading the electricity grid.
Speaker 7: Even today, I think doing a new deal.
Speaker 15: In the nineteen thirties, the US spent about one point two percent of GDP.
Speaker 7: I'm building out power.
Speaker 15: Actually the first power station in the US is building's built in Manhattan.
Speaker 7: So one percent GDP today is three hundred billion.
Speaker 15: So coincidentally, this year, the big tech companies have already announced three hundred billions of investment into data centers. So I think the investment is not over investment. But it's quite shocking how quickly we romped up the investment to literally this magic number one percent of GDP.
Speaker 1: You did say also a couple of months ago to me that this tends to move in three month increments. The idea being the technological breakthroughs that we see are really happening so quickly. You have to think about the development of AI within three month increments. What's what's going to look like, what's it going to look like a year from now?
Speaker 15: I think for US to you know, given the one percent investment GDP investment, for US to really deliver the promise, we have to see something like eight to ten percent.
Speaker 7: Of GDP growth. We have to triple quote group our GDP growth here in the US.
Speaker 15: Here in the US in a world where the adoption for AI is really and China is very keen to adopt AI for pretty much everything. So that's really the so that when I say that's the promised land, that's that's the promised land, right, that's the promise we have to deliver given this kind of investment. I mean, just to just to illustrate how fast things have come. Three years ago to train the GBT three, it's it's only you something like a fifteen to thirty megawarts data center. It was quite normal. And today you know a mask and a matter of building two gigawards data centers, which is ten times bigger. For that to work, they have to build everything. They have to build their own natural gas power plant next to it. So that the sheer scale of the of the investment is really unprecedented. But for us to deliver the promise, we have to see in the next five years. So GDP growth of eighteen percent.
Speaker 1: You mentioned China, and I'm wondering about the country's ability to pull this off if there are export controls in place on American tech, such as we've seen within video. Since we last spoke, everything with deep Seek happened. How do you look at what's happening in China and whether or not they can become like a competitor to the US when it comes to AI.
Speaker 15: I think to scale the intelligence, there are only a few variables. Number One, data In China, there's the data privacy is much less a concern, so I also there are many people generating data, so I think I would say China probably has an advantage in terms of having access to the quality the quantity of the data. The second thing is just sheer talent. There are two hundred papers in AI published every day. I read some of them, not obviously not all of them, but one thing if very striking. You can open a random AI paper these days, about thirty percent to fifty percent the co authors are Chinese. So China has this supply of talent, but sing in the US.
Speaker 7: The last one in just compute oilse being equal.
Speaker 15: Intelligence is basically the logarithm of compute. So you increased by one hundred times, you get ten times beating intelligence. So I think China and US are really the two countries in the world who are really pushing.
Speaker 1: That was beIN Ran, founder and CEO of Sigtech, from our panel discussion at Bloomberg invest Still.
Speaker 3: Head on Bloomberg Business Week, more from Ben Rann, and more on Magic and how AI will affect financial services.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just Say Alexa played Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: We're back with highlights from Bloomberg invest held this past week in New York City. Want to get back to Tim's conversation with Ben Rhn, the founder and CEO of Sigtech, tech.
Speaker 1: Spun off of Brevin Howard back in twenty nineteen and now offers this JENAI tool called Magic. It stands for Multi Agent Generative Investment copilots, and here Ben talks about the opportunity he sees for AI to disrupt financial services.
Speaker 7: We're Bloomberg. We love numbers.
Speaker 1: I know you're still considered a startup at this point, but give us some numbers like how many customers you have if you can, and where you're seeing it be deployed.
Speaker 15: In the last two months, we build a lot of private proparatory versions for different firms.
Speaker 7: I come show you this why a gentry three months old.
Speaker 15: So we are officially launched in September twenty twenty four. We started two years ago. We made a very big bet two years ago to say this is the future. We're going to you know better company on this. Even that took us eighteen months to figure out how to do it right because you know, it's so new, unprecedented. We have the experiment, trial and errors. So we launched in September last year, so we got into the hands of over one hundred and fifty financial institutions. We are extremely excited about the use cases we're able to deliver. So we currently focus on three categories. Number one macro market research. Just because my background is from macro hedge fund, I know the field very well. People think people use magic to get some magical insight, but funny enough, actually people find it extremely useful to have an understanding of where the market has priced in. It's kind of a common intuitive but if you think about it right, since large language models, by construction always give you the most likely word one by one, it's actually a fantastic tool to survey.
Speaker 7: The market at any point in time.
Speaker 15: I understand what other people know, how other people think about it.
Speaker 7: So what the market is pricing?
Speaker 15: Which is the first step towarding for headfrom managers, figure out do I have some view that's different, and how to put on a trade? So number one category macro market research. The second is equity fundamental analysis.
Speaker 7: So we did a big talk.
Speaker 15: On this because you know, in the last ten years a number of equity analysts has dropped by over thirty five percent, whereas the public market has become more concentrated than ever before. So we have this very weird dynamic. Tens of trillions of capital going to passive. Top twenty six companies are responsibul for half of the market cap of SMP five hundred, and I do think people can name the other four hundred and seventy four. So I in some sense we feel like the market has become less efficient where we need analytical power to cover more companies, but we don't have it. So we're working with equity fund managers who have, by the way, who had a very tough fifteen years just because it's concentration in.
Speaker 7: The top stocks. It's only really stock pickers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the S and P five hundred has performed very well over the last It's very hard to be, so it's been tough to be. You did recently write that AI is going to dramatically impact financial services in terms of cost structure and profit margins.
Speaker 7: Yep, give us some numbers there.
Speaker 15: Yeah, So financial services excluding payment globally is a twenty trillion dollar business or twenty trillion dollars revenue every year, and we will break it down about three trillion of profits. But then in termal costs, we think eight trillion dollars. Costs can be hugely affected by what's going on, by what we are building in JENEI. That includes five trillion of staff costs, two trillion of risk and regulation related and then one trillion of tech spend. So I think eight trillion dollars that's just a starting point.
Speaker 1: Are the financial firms that you're trying to sell to or that are your customers, do you believe that they're being too cautious with their adoption of the technology.
Speaker 15: I think they are being very cautious, but again it's very difficult to make a very clear decision because just given how things are moving, and it's very hard to get you know. I think, especially in large regulated businesses, to make such big decisions, you need some kind of consensus building in the firm. But by the time you build a consensus in three months, things have changed. So I think that in terms of the adoption in financial services, I think it will start with a few firms with visionary leadership that embrace it and given a speed of which we can implement it, I think waiting six months, they will be able to disrupt the market segment they operating, and then that will have no comonfect.
Speaker 1: That's been Rand, founder and CEO of sig Tech during our panel discussion at Bloomberg invest We're going to stay.
Speaker 3: With technology now to a guest who keeps us up to speed, also on AI developments timely considering this past week, Open AI rival Anthropic officially closed a deal to raise three and a half billion dollars at a valuation of sixty one point five billion dollars, cementing it's placed him as one of the largest startups in the world.
Speaker 1: With more on AI. Where we are in the great AI build out and spend. Talked with Dell Technologies at Global CTO and Chief AI Officer John Rose, he was at Bloomberg invest.
Speaker 13: There's two answers in terms of AI spend. Clearly that's a gigantic growth the area. I think we've seen the TAM double in the last year. There's no doubt that, you know, we're on a track right now, and definitely in the global enterprise market that probably the majority of it spend in the long term is to build and implement the systems necessary to power the AI transformation of businesses. So pretty bullish on there the consequences. In order to do that, we have to make the older systems more efficient. So there's actually a spend profile there of trying to densify environments and aggregate legacy systems. So the whole space is pretty active and looks to be a pretty positive environment because without it, without that infrastructure, there is no AI future.
Speaker 3: So we're like what over two years in at least that the market the world, you know, as you always remind us, AI nothing new. We do the same thing, but certainly the narrative and the discussion changed more than two years to go. How has it evolved here in twenty twenty five? What's top of mind?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, so we're in year three.
Speaker 13: Year one was experimentation with some tools that people couldn't really use for enterprise. Year two was to do it yourself here that if you wanted to do it, it was a big technical effort. Year three we've now seen lots of ISVs, lots of turnkey offerings, and most importantly, companies like DEMA, SIVs, ISV independent software vendors people which sell you stuff, so instead of do it yourself, you can actually buy stuff to do AI, which is incredibly important. The two things that we need for enterprise adoption are one the ability to consume it as a technology as opposed to a do it yourself project, which that's actually happening now. And the other is a feeling that you're not the first mover, and because some of us big companies have moved first and have gotten to the other side of productivity, now there's archetypes to follow. So so I'm pretty bullish about this is a good year in terms of expanded enterprise adoption.
Speaker 1: We haven't gotte to talk to you since the deep Seek news on January twenty seventh that really wiped hundreds of billions of dollars from in Vidia's market tap. We're down in Vidia about a little over twenty percent since the January highs for that company. Are you seeing any pullback in this space right now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: In a word, yeah, And the reason for it is.
Speaker 13: Look, you know, Deepseek was just another of you know, forty years of disruptions that have progressively moved AI forward. You know, I was a theory forty years ago, and then we invented things and created new technologies and bent the curve multiple times to ultimately get to where we are today today. There's only two levers that make AI better. One is the mips per want of the compute environment O every time in Vidia delivers a new GPU that gets better. And the other is algorithmic improvements, which are things like deep Seek, and they just they just allow us to do things more efficiently.
Speaker 1: So you buy what we know about deep Seek, Like, are you skeptical that they were able to do what they did with the resources they had?
Speaker 12: Look, I wasn't.
Speaker 13: I didn't have a front row seat to exactly what they did. I look at it as interesting engineering. It does look like some novel approaches using some existing technologies. Great, we need that, And what we've learned from it because it's an open model, is yeah, there's some interesting techniques that other people are going to adopt and guess what it's going to make the whole AI industry more efficient. If there wasn't kind of insatiable demand in front of us, I'd be nervous.
Speaker 1: But there is.
Speaker 13: We have barely touched the processes of the enterprises in the world, and we have millions of them to go after.
Speaker 3: But I do wonder to Tim's point, that does Deep Seek make us rethink the models or the narrative about how the buildout has to happen, the energy needs, this cost, whatever it is.
Speaker 13: Yes, just like every other iteration, we're in a world welcome to the AI club. The AI club is a period, is an environment where there's constant disruption happening moving the industry forward. And so the novel approaches in Deep Seek allow us to rethink, Hey, maybe I can do training a little more efficiently, maybe I can do inferencing a little more costly. Maybe I can develop a different way of thinking about a model. Great, let's adopt that, let's build on it, and the next one might be bigger disruption, but it'll still move the industry forward.
Speaker 3: Got to ask you about Elon Musk and the government, and the goal is to make it more efficient. And there's of course a lot of news and a lot of headlines around what's going on in terms of what we've seen so far. What are your expectations that it becomes a more technologically advanced run government.
Speaker 5: Well, well, I think you know.
Speaker 3: I mean we should point out that Dell supplying servers to Elon's XAI.
Speaker 13: And the government and everybody else in the world. We're very present there.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 13: Here here's the punchline, elons and technologists. He clearly understands the technology stack. The way you improve things, the way you get productivity, you do things better, is both the improvement of your processes and the application of technology to make those processes work more efficiently. Both of those are going to happen. I can't tell you exactly what's going to happen in the government. I can't tell you what play they're going to make. But what I can guarantee you is the end state, there will be more technology powering our government and our public sector, and it will probably make them more efficient and more effective. How it works out above that above my pay grade, but it is inevitable. The one thing I can guarantee you there won't be less technology in the government when we move in to the next year or the next two years.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm asking you this as a technologist, as somebody who's a front row seat on the technology side. Critics have said their concerns about security and privacy when it comes to what Doje and what Elon Musk are doing. Should they be concerned.
Speaker 13: Maybe you should always be concerned and you should always look at the risk of technology. Here's a good example. We're maybe outspoken that for the real critical AI activities you should do them in a private environment. Some people disagree with us. The reason we say that is because that's the lowest risk path. It also happens to be the lowest cost path. Every technology decision you make is a technology and a vacuum until you apply it to a real world scenario.
Speaker 12: And that's where the risk.
Speaker 1: So essentially, what you're saying is if the Department of Government Efficiency employees are or using AI tools to help with their jobs. They should be doing that in an environment that is secure, you.
Speaker 13: Bet, and what that means to them they should figure out. But what you shouldn't do is go into an environment when you're using technology without contemplating the risk of it. I have full confidence that any good technologists, including the folks doing that work in the government, are absolutely thinking about not just the technology in a vacuum, but the fact that when it gets into the real world there are security considerations. There are other activities that need to be controlled, and you always build a security model into your technology architecture. Even lms have security models, even agents have security models, because that's necessary to make them work in something like an enterprise.
Speaker 1: Our thanks to John Rose, CTO and Chief AI Officer at Dell Technologies.
Speaker 3: And that wraps up the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week from Bloomberg Radio. At the Bloomberg invest event in New York City. You can catch all the conversations from the events, including Tim's demo with Sigtech. You can find that on the Bloomberg and at Bloomberg dot com, including the Bloomberg Live website as well. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Be sure to tune into Bloomberg Business Week Monday through Friday starting at two pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg TV, Bloomberg Radio, and on Sirius XM Channel one twenty one. You can also listen to us on Apple car Play and Android Auto Free in the Apple App Store or on Google Play.
Speaker 3: You can also watch our daily broadcast on YouTube. Just search Bloomberg Global News re subplecast on Bloomberg Originals, available at Bloomberg dot com, Slash Originals, and streaming platforms including Roku, Amazon, fireTV, Simsung TV Plus and more.
Speaker 1: Find our Bloomberg BusinessWeek podcast at Bloomberg dot com, Apple, or wherever you get your podcasts, and the latest edition of the magazine is available on newstands now at Bloomberg dot com and always on the Bloomberg termino. I'm Tim Stenebeck and I'm Carol Masser.
Speaker 3: Have a good and safe weekend.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com. The iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal