Speaker 1: Folks, get your popcorn buttered, get your fountain drink ready, because there's gonna be some spoilers from the Thor Love and Thunder movie out in theaters now. If you have not seen Thor Love and Thunder, for God's sakes, do not listen to this podcast this section in which we talk about that movie until you have seen the movie. Please do that. Go watch the movie. Lots of spoilers in here for Thor Love and Thunder and Miss Marvel episodes four and five, so please see that stuff before you've listened here. Hello, my name is Jasoncepcion, and welcome to X ray Vision The Crooked Podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. In today's episode, on the previously on news segment, we're be talking about the Paper Girls trailer, the adaptation of the beloved Brian Cavaon Cliff Chang comic book from Image Comics. We're gonna talk about some Stranger Things spin off news from the Duffer Brothers, and then we're gonna be catching up on Miss Marvel episodes four and five. In the airlock, we're diving all the way deep into Thor Love and thunder, and of course, if you want to jump around, check out the timestamps in the show notes to find all the things that we talk about and enjoining me. Now we're back baby after a week layoff, filling her mind library with ever more information, ever more wisdom to give to the people. Is the number one comics encyclopedia, now overflowing with things to tell you. It's a great Rosie, diight, Rosie, how are you. I'm good.
Speaker 2: I was happy to be back. We needed the one week break.
Speaker 1: But now we needed anything good.
Speaker 2: I actually I did too much work, sadly, but I also did do I did go away for like two days, so that was nice.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, I uh, I went to the desert and.
Speaker 2: Those are where I went, just after you.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you. It was like one hundred and thirteen degrees every day, but it was also very very relaxing, and I enjoyed it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whenever I whenever I go to the desert, I feel like Superman. I'm like I am being powered up by the yellow sun. Like the desert. There's something about it where I'm just like this heat is nourishing me. I'm probably getting like shriveled and old, but I feel empowered. I love the desert.
Speaker 1: Thank you Desert, I too love it, folks. Let's get into the news.
Speaker 2: Paper Girl trailer.
Speaker 1: The trailer for Amazon Primes paper Girls dropped this week again, an abdaptation from the comic series of the same name by Brian Cavon illustration art by Cliff Chang. It is a show about four paper delivery girls like twelve or thirteen year olds in nineteen eighty eight, who are pulled into a time traveling adventure where they encounter future versions of themselves. It's time copying in the way that their time traveling is kind of against the law, and it's a great if you want to dive into a completely original comics world. Paper Girls on Image Comics is their few The show comes out on July twenty ninth. I was I thought the trailer looked fantastic. The color scheme, it reminds me so much of the comic. It seems like they nailed the casting. Uh, and I'm really excited about it. What were your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm so impressed by everything to do with this show, Like from the moment that they first revealed the cast to this trailer. They just Amazon. Something we can say about whoever's making these shows at Amazon. They know when to totally commit to the comics like this, and they know when to distance themselves like the boys, and we find of said this and this is like so incredible to see Cliff's visual language and landscape board to the screen, especially in the colors, because Paper Girl uses coloring in a very specific way. Their colors by Matt Wilson are just astonishing in that book, and they're used in a very narrative, important way. And it's just also like one of the coolest looking books. I remember working in a comic shop when it was coming out, and you just wanted to get those Neon issues every time, like the beautiful covers. And yeah, this is one where I would say, read it now, or if the trailer looks really enticing to you, wait and then you can be surprised when you watch the show. I also something that I think is really cool about this, when we talk about committing to the comics, something that Amazon pr is doing here which is really incredible. Every single time they write about Paper Girls, they shout out Brian Cavaughan, and they shout out Cliff Chang and they are adding them and they are saying, these are the people who made this, these are the people, this is the reason this exists. So I think this could be a real step forward when it comes to how closely connected the creators are to the show. Also, images create our own creat so this is about to say this is their brand.
Speaker 1: Is Brian Cavon. It's so much image comics exactly.
Speaker 2: So I'm really excited. I think it looks great. I'm very stoked to see that on the Internet. Like there was a lot of people who were like, oh, this looks like Stranger Things, but the Paper Girl's fandom has been.
Speaker 3: There being like, well, actually and correctly. So a great point to bring up because it's it's interesting.
Speaker 1: We just I just got done with Stranger Things season four. I think uh many of us have. Uh. It's a show set in the eighties with lots of eighties references that clearly UH is inspired by you know, the work of Steven Spielberg and other kind of why A movies of the era, kids on bikes having an adventure and for both And so I was wondering, well, watching the trailer and then going back and flipping through the first couple of issues of Paper Girls on image. I wonder how much the success of Stranger Things affected voices that they made in the show, because you know, I mean the opening of the comic, there's like a reference to the Challenger explosion. There's all these pop culture need these references. There's a kid dressed as Freddy Krueger, like you know, in the opening, in the opening pages, and all of that would feel I think, pretty Stranger Things into those who are not initiated to the comics or weren't reading the comics at the time. So I wonder, I really wonder how much the showrunners and the production team either leaned into the eighties references the stuff that's on the page, or leaned away from those choices, not wanting to, you know, ride on a wave that has been created by another show.
Speaker 2: I think it's really interesting to think about because I think that there's probably no way that Paper Girls gets made into a TV show at all without Stranger Things, or less not this speedily. So thank you Stranger Things, because I wanted a Paper Girls show, probably more than most other comic book shows. But Paper Girls did come out, you know, almost a year before the first issue of Paper Girls came out almost a year before Stranger Things. My gut says, you cannot. The point of Paper Girls as well as Strange Things is that to evoke that nostalgia. The question is do they do it in the Stranger Things way, which is like, look at this thing that is from that era, or do they do it in tone and ship. I would love to see them evoke different parts of the eighties that we don't necessarily get to see in the same way, So I'll be really I think that's one of the most interesting things to look for as we go into the show, is like what do they do to separate themselves from Stranger Things, And not in a negative way, just because this is a unique, different kind of story. So I'm very interested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not in a negative way at all, but just understanding like how storytellers, you know, like to work is you always want to do something that is your own, even if you're working in the same time period, the same milieu that you know, there's certain references to historical events from nineteen eighty eight, there are not you know, it's going to be unavoidable, and of course, like Stranger Things is in eighty six, so there is a little bit of air gap in terms of years.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, point. But let's Stranger Things for the late A.
Speaker 1: You know, I'd imagine if I was if I was working on this, I'd be like, I don't know, this is like fun, but like Stranger Things did this, so I don't know. I would just be fascinated to know, like what the conversation was speaking of Stranger Things. Uh. Matt and Ross Duffer, the Duffer Brothers, creators of these Stranger Things television program on the Netflix streaming platform, have announced per Deadline that they have launched their own company, upside Down Pictures, and they are working on producing as Stranger Things spinoff. Per Deadline, following the record breaking release of the two final episodes of Stranger Things Season four, creators Matt and Rosstuffer have formed upside Down Pictures and recommitted to Netflix with several new projects. Those include a live action series adaptation of Death Note, the famed Japanese manga and anime written by Tuscumi Oba and with illustrations by Taki shi Obada. An original series from creators Jeffrey Addis and Will Matthews. Dark Crystal Resistance could come out of upside Down Pictures, a series adaptation of Stephen king At Peter Straub's nineteen eighty four novel The Taosman, which speaking as a king head excited for that one. A new stage play set within the world in Mythology of Stranger Things, produced by UK based stage producer Sonya Friedman, and the aforementioned live act Stranger Things spin off based on an original idea by the Duff Brothers, with upside Down and twenty one Laps producing. Uh, this just makes a lot of sense. You know, this is by I think any measure, although with Netflix it's hard to understand what measure what is right by the bye, just anecdotally knowing all the people who are talking about this show and who have watched it, and understanding what Netflix the hit, what it means as a hit to Netflix, it just makes sense to do this. And Uh, I'm excited. Listen, give let's give Steve, Let's.
Speaker 2: Give Stephen Dustin spin off.
Speaker 1: Bring step and Dustin spin off. Is that not what we want?
Speaker 2: That's not the people.
Speaker 4: I was always going to say a spoiler, I'll save that from when we actually don't about Stranger Things.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what the people want. I am intrigued by this. I think that was a cool like talisman easter egg as well in the volume of The Stranger Things New season, So that's kind of a fun lead in kind of doing that Mike Flannagan world within the world sort of thing. I I'm wary of that first, the first announcement the Death Note adaptation Netflix before, but let's you know what goes. I'm open to it. There's been plenty of brilliant already Death Note adaptations in Japan, so it's not going to take those away, and maybe it'll add something really cool or new. I love anything like why a kid storytelling that's like and we'll talk about that more when we talk about Thoor like that. I'm a sucker for that. So the notion that we could see a new core version of that, I'm open to it. I'm open to it. I love Dark Crystal Age of Resistance. That was like one of my favorite TV shows in the last few years because it's, Oh my god, it is like so good. When you watch it, you almost cannot believe it's real. It is. Oh, it's so on. You're gonna love it so much. I know everything you love and you're just gonna love it.
Speaker 1: It is so the original Dark Crystal movie.
Speaker 2: It's like, imagine that, but it's a prestige TV show with like a never ending budget and everything is there's obviously incredible CG but there's a lot of practical puppet tree. So it is just like that's my ultimate I wish they would renew it show that got canceled. So the idea that that team teaming up with the Stranger Things team, who was obviously so influenced by that error of filmmaking, I think that's really exciting, and we will be.
Speaker 1: Talking about Stranger Things more on an upcoming episode. I gotta say, just as a quick knee jerk reaction, this was my favorite season of Stranger Things for Yeah, primarily because we've were finally like fleshing out the lore of the world and you know, we're both big like world building rules people and just understanding more about the upside down, how the mind flawer works, Vecna's role in all of this stuff. That was really fun to learn about all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it also brings in two of my favorite things, which is like I absolutely love horror storytelling and like fantasy horror, and that is brought in in such an expansive and unexpected way here. And also I thought the satanic panic aspect of the show and the storytelling, that is something that really speaks to me, that notion of like being othered. And I thought that Joseph Quinn as Eddie is just like, that's got to be one of my favorite characters from a TV show in ever, and I saw so much love there for him, so like, I, yeah, it's this feels again. It's been a little while since we've had one of those moments where you feel like everybody's talking about it. Yeah, you know, so it's it's kind of been wild since we've had Yeah, it's been fun to see that everyone getting excited about it for the good reasons, so that it's all it's all because people are passionate. So it's been exciting to be a part of that again.
Speaker 1: Miss Marvel episodes four and five the Lightning recap of both. Let's start with episode four, titled Seeing Red and basically here's what you need to know. Kamala goes to Karachi. She meets up with her nanny and some cousins. She meets Kareem, a member of the Red Daggers and learns about the Red Daggers, this group that has been working behind the scenes over there. She goes to Kamala goes to Red Dagger headquarters where she meets the leaders of the group. We learn more about the realm of the Clandestines come from, and then fucking the Department of Damage Control absolutely fumbles the fucking.
Speaker 2: Bag once again once again.
Speaker 1: Once it's like, you can just you can just take them to their cells. You don't have to be assholes about it anyway. The Department of Damage Control are escorting Najama and her group to their cells, but they have to be really racist about it, and this leads to a big fight and Najima and the Clandestines escape. Walid is killed in a fight back in Karachi, and we see a portal open and Kamala goes through and arrives That faithful night back in nineteen forty seven, when Sana followed a trail of stars to her father and Aisha disappeared. Onto episode five, we open on newsreel footage from August nineteen forty seven, the eve of India's independence and the creation of the state of Pakistan. We see India's leader Nehru and Pakistan's leader and founding figure Muhammad Ali Jina making speeches, and then we see crowds of people on the move as these two states are created, and Hindus who are living in what will soon become Pakistan are leaving for India and Muslims in India leaving for Pakistan. Of course, this process, historical process which was I believe the largest mass migration of people in history, in the history of the world, talking millions of people in the move was accompanied by a lot of violence, a lot of destruction, and a lot of heartache for people who for generations had been living in a place, living in the place that their family had lived in for generations, all of a sudden forced to uproot themselves and move. That's a historical context. We arrive in nineteen forty two flashback from this newsreel footage. British troops are pursuing Kamala's great grandmother, Aisha through the forest. She suddenly turns and does something which takes down the soldier. Later, we see an activist handing out handbills and talking to a crowd about the independence movement. Agitating this crowd of eager locals about why they should be an independent nation and how they can do that with the least amount of chaos and rioting possible. And then all of a sudden, British shoops arrive, and of course they've got Indian auxiliaries also, and they don't want people talking about this, so they disperse the crowd using force. Aisha later is wearing the bangal and we see her wearing the bangle. She's sleeping in a field. Turns out that's this man's field. His name is Hassan, and he wakes her up and he's like, hey, you know, if you want to, my house is right over here, if you want to come in and get something to eat and rest in there. That night, she comes in and very very very reluctantly eats dinner, which you don't have to tell me twise, if you're offering food, I'm eating. Aisha doesn't talk much, and it's we understand why, of course, but Hassan does not. It's clear that she's not from around here. It's also clear that she's not British, So who is she? What's her deal? Aisha's very closed lipped about this, but eventually she reveals that she likes Hassan grows roses and she thinks are great. That gets them talking. Now they introduce themselves and she is Aisha. We know he is Hassan. We just learned that. And folks, you can tell right away by the way they're looking at each other they're gonna make babies. And it happens. In the very next scene. We fast forward to Aisha has got Hassan's roses in her hair. They are being very loving to each other. A camera bound pans down and guess what it's baby on board time That is within that belly is Sna Kamala's grandmother. The growing family is at peace, and we fast forward years later see snap playing with Aisha's Bengal as a BBC radio reports on the violence that is gripping the country. This is post independence now and the partition is taking place or around the time of independence. As this mass migration is taking place, Hassan is upset. He is Muslim. He lives in what will become India. Already, people in the village that he and his family have lived in for many years are being shunned by certain members of the community. Although there is also a lot of generosity within that community, and he is angry because he's really grappling with the very real possibility that he's going to have to flee the home that has been his home for generations. A villager comes to offer them some food, and he rejects it. He's angry about it. That night, Aisha meets Nadama out in the field and we learned that Asha's been hiding from her fellow clandestine's. Najama has been searching for Aetia for years, it seems like, and her plan is the same as it is present day. She wants to use the bangle to return everybody home. They want to go back to their the dimension they've been exiled from. I was just like, oh the bangle, Yeah, I hit it because you know, there's all the there's all this, you know, there's all this movement of people's riots going on, a lot of chaos because of the independence movement, and you know, I got to look for it. And I'll tell you what, I'll text you when I find it. I'll look for it, okay, and I'll let you know. And then Najamas like you have until the end of day tomorrow, and that's when you better have it. I usually goes back this on and urges him to flee. It's time to go. We got to go. The riots are getting closer. I know this farmhouse has been in your family and you don't want to leave it and it's really painful. But you've got a growing family. Now we have to do it. They hit the road. I should gives son on the Bengal for protection. The family heads off for the last train out of town. On the road, Hassan, who uses a cane he's got an injured leg, is struggling. He asks who Ai Shud was talking to out in the field the other night, and Aisha is like, okay, let me show you some shows us on the Bengal gives us a very short demo of what it can do, which is basically like a little telescoping feature and it lights.
Speaker 2: Up and it's very fancy.
Speaker 1: We learned through this process in this scene that Hassan, like many guys, is not a big He has a lot to say about politics and stuff, but in terms of like deep questions with a partner, has clearly not asked a lot of questions. This beautiful, gorgeous, intelligent woman showed up in his field one day with no past, not talking about where she's from or anything. And it's not until now apparently like one or two years later, because Sanna is like a toddler, right that he now begins to ask questions about, like real questions about any So this bangel, what's going on with this? I wanted it's I wanted to talk about something since it was just the fourth of July.
Speaker 2: As you know, Rosie, I do know I was.
Speaker 1: As a as a as a member of our of our extended family, our English cousin, Rosie, I've been thinking a lot about about the way. You know. It's like you often hear when people critique colonialism. You'll often hear like defenders of colonialism say kind of shritly, like, hey, sure it wasn't ideal all the time, but look like India has the post office, they have this away system, they have these beautiful harbors, they have this parliamentary system of government, they have like all these this civil service and all this stuff that's like very fleshed out. And that's because of the legacy that English rule left there. And while it wasn't always great, look look at the positives that left behind, which like all that stuff is there because the English were there. That's true. At the same time, it's like, uh, you know, the economics of colonialism, it's it's different for many cases. And I'm by no means an expert, but i will say, like the basics were the English and the English were not. You know, the Dutch were there, the Portuguese were there, France was there also, but the English came to dominate India. The English system of colonialism was they extract natural resources, gems, you know, text ales, t et cetera, and take it very for a very cheap price as all England. Right essentially, right, but you know, like there's an investment of money, like to like go and send people there. Anyway, they extract the natural resources, they send to England where they produced finished goods that they would then sell to this captive market of India where they can't buy anything else. They have to buy stuff from England. Right, So what you're basically looking at is, I mean, you could call it theft, but on a massive, massive scale, like a oh your scale to the point where you need a railroad to transport all the stuff you're taking to the harbor, and you need ships to take that home, and you need this massive like management system that becomes a civil service to keep track of all that stuff. And you need a postal service because you need to be in communication with all these people who are extracting all this wealth out of there and then selling the finished goods and taking that wealth back also. And so really when you when people say, oh, but look at the post office and look at all the railways and stuff, it's kind of like if I was a bank robber and I tunneled into a bank and I stole all the money, if I came back like now there's a tunnel forty fifty years later, say oh, I noticed you made a subway out of the tunnel that I dug. You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that's exactly what it is. I mean, it's colonialism. Is like the most horrendous and vile crime in England is like one of its absolute worst perpetrators. Like it's so awful, and I just and it's it's kind of it's really strange as well because like when at least when I was in school, I don't think it's changed very much. They don't really teach you anything about it, like most feature anything country partition, and they don't. They don't even do the version where it's like, well, at least where I went to school, which was like a very like poor working class neighborhood where there was people from all over the world, like they a lot of whom came there because of what England had done to their countries during colonialism and like because of colonialism. But like they didn't even do the version where they were like we were like generous benefactors. They just like skip over it because they know that even if you like scrape the tiniest bit of it off. I think it's like in that way, like Miss Marvel. By talking about partition and kind of generally even broaching this period, it's doing that thing that comic books have always done that we love, which is like using a story to tell like an analogous import shine of light on, like an important moment in history. But instead of doing it in a way that's analogous, they're actually just talking about it and setting it during this time. And like the creative team actually shared Bisha Ali, I saw share it. This reading list they made, we can put it in the show notes of readings on partition by all different kinds of people's like so, and I think it's like a really interesting, cool expansion of that where they're not just saying like, oh, we wrote about this thing, you should go and learn about it. They're like, here are the things that helped us learn about it, and and now you can't too. So I'm glad that there are stories about this because yeah, just terribly.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be there's gonna be a significant amount of people who learn about this of this event and this period of history in this part of the world because of the show. And I think that is broadly positive. And you know, partition is it is a it is a subject of ongoing scholarship, like as you speak, like it has been kind of overlooked both in the region and and in the west in the region because it's such a painful topic with like a lot of a lot of bad history attached to it. Yeah again, like millions died during this extremely violent and chaotic like event, Like it was bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think there's been really good This is like a really nuanced topic, like anything about this. So there's been people who've loved this version of part of the way Miss Marvel has represented it and feel like it's super representative and bringing this like moment I've forgotten moment in history to life. And there's been people who don't feel like it's actually representative of their experience at all. So that's the notion of all of these things, right, Yeah, it's the two sides of trying to tell this huge story in like a thirty minute episode.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that too before we get back to the recap, because this is another thing I've been thinking about a lot, which is Yeah, on Reddit and elsewhere, there's all these threads that are like basically being like, I'm not a bigot, but miss Marvel just doesn't speak to me. Here are the reasons why which and listen, certain people like things or they don't like things. There's yeah wrong with that. I will say that. I will say that, like, and I'm not trying to speak for the uh Pakistani or Indian fans of the show or like, you know, pop culture fans in general. I'm speaking as a as a person of color who loves nerd shit. It it feels a little like, uh, it feels a little weird when people are so loudly like, well, it doesn't speak to me. Considering like you know, as a as a again as a nerd, as a nerd of color, like you just know you I have to growing up and watching shows including now you basically have to eat what they make you, you know, like there's no choice. And so as when you were talking about like how the kind of obliquely talking about like the steaks for fans like who are looking to see their experiences mirrored in this show and are either satisfied or disappointed. I think that that is it. Just when there are so few opportunities to see something like that, all of a sudden it carries more weight. Like if this was like Peaky Blinders or something right and it's stiffed and people were like, well fuck it, I don't you know, I don't really care about like early twentieth century Anglo Irish like Mafia Shiit Gang, people would not there would not be an uproar from the community that is looking to see themselves reflected in that Anglo Irish story, because guess what, You're going to get a million other Anglo Irish stories like you could go fucking watch Boondock Saints or something I don't know, like that's or departed you know, like it's there's a million things, but you know right, yeah, It's like listen when when crazy rich I've told this story before, I'll tell it again, crazy rich Asians came out. I didn't like it, Okay, I did. I the theme, the story is subject matter very very rich people doing very very rich shit. It just doesn't speak to me. It's not my thing. At the same time, not knowing when we would get another major Hollywood budget movie starring Asian people, and in fact it would not be until years later Shangchi the legitd of the Ten Rings, I was like, not, I'm not going to be out there being like, you know, fuck this movie. I don't like it. I was just not going to do that now, was I like not speaking my mind? Yeah? But also like, those are the those are the kind of issues that you have to weigh when you're just not used to seeing yourself or your stories reflected in the broader pop culture.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the I think that's a really interesting and very very true balance we all strike. I have yet to watch a Marvel movie focused solely around a solo female character that I have enjoyed or that has spoken to me I was not a fan, particularly of Captain Marvel, and I was not really a huge fan of Black Widow. But you know, I love the MCU and there's twenty five movies or whatever and a million TV shows, so I can find different things that do speak to me. But again, I wasn't out here like boo Captain Marvel because you realize, you're like, it took them ten years to do this anyway, it's and the way that they're doing it, Like sure, I would have rather that it was a Monica Rambo movie Like that, to me is the movie I wanted to see. But I'm gonna be stoked that this means a lot to people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, it's just like the fullness of one's chest when announcing that this a certain thing that stars, you know, a South Asian cast that is culturally Muslim religious, you know, based on very very uniquely based and heavily based on Pakistani culture, the Muslim religion. To then go, well, thiss isten speaking to me, It's just I'm not saying little. I'm not saying it.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying also, I'm not saying it's a dog whistle. Yeah, but I am saying that I think that it is very interesting to see the stories that that is said about. Nobody's like, oh, Captain America doesn't speak to me because I wasn't given a super soldier serum and turned into a super soldier. No, it's like, this doesn't speak to you because most likely you're very used to being catered to, and that actually is I think that these stories they don't need to speak to you because there's so many. But also if the best thing about them is if you let yourself open up, maybe it will speak to it.
Speaker 1: I think it just give it as a universal story exactly. You know. It's it's kind of it's like, uh, if if you're if we all live in this massive house together, right, and there's one hundred pictures of the wall, and a hundred of them are like people that look like you, and then we change it so that like five of them are people that don't look like you, maybe you'd be like, oh, yeah, let's slip that's still. But then if we get to like say ten or fifteen pictures out of the hundred, now all of a sudden, people are like, well, let's pump the brake. We don't want to change this over and I think there's a lot of that going on, not just about this show, but in the broader culture. Okay, back to the train station nineteen forty seven. It is a fucking mess, as one would expect. Aisha, Hassan, and son Up push their way through the crowds, but Aisha gets a feeling that something is amiss and she looks and she sees Nagama through the crowd, so she breaks off because she's afraid Najamen is about to attack. What if my husband and daughter are killed or innocent people are killed, And she goes off to try and lure her away from her family. She's speaking to her, but then Najman's like, I don't want to hear it and stabs Aisa and then walks off.
Speaker 2: She's like, my what the fuck? She takes advantage of the chaos. I mean, there's one place you can stab someone and walk off stab as brutal walks off.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Hassan has lost track of his daughter in this boiling massive refugees, Aisha is dying. She's looking at a photo of her and Hassan and sona like standing in the field, and she says, what you seek is seeking you and then the Bengal glows and drops to the ground as Aisha is losing her strength. And in that moment, as the Bengal hits the ground, the portal opens, which we saw open elsewhere in present day Karachi, and Kamala arrives in nineteen forty seven. She finds her great grandmother dying. I used to thinks Kamala is actually adult. It's not her daughter, and it's unclear actually that she actually gets who she is as she's dying, but she in her final moments asks Kamala to save her family, and then she dies. Kamala finds her grandmother her infant grandmother in the crowd and is about to use her light powers to get them to walk above the crowd so they can get to the train. When there's like a they're disrupted for a second, and the sna we see is infatuated with the light and can control it in some kind of way, is playing with it in a way that is unique. Kamala is looking on at this in amazement, and this light show allows Hassan to find his daughter. He sees the glow and he guts over to it and he finds her. We're going to talk about what this means for time travel in a second. Then the bangle glows and Kamala is transported back to present day Karachi, where a portal is opening to the newer dimension. Here is Nadama that she's about to watch her plans come to filment. They're about to be able to go home, but as the Clandestines touch the veil, they die. One of one of Najama's number, Furia touches it and turns to bone and ash. Kamala tries to shoot light at the veil to close it. Red Dagger comes up, is like, I'll help by evacuating, like all, there's a bunch of civilians in the area. This took place, like in a market area of Karachi. It starts evacuating people, and Kamala is like you get to Nagama. She's like, you got to help me close this thing. Like I understand, like you want to go home all this stuff, but we could we could lose everything, uh, And they have it out right there, and then finally Najamas like, okay, I get it, Like I agree, and I know how to close the veil, and she steps forward and touches it and she dies. Uh, and the veil seals just as Nagama's powers are transferred across the world to comrad over in Jersey City. As the veil closes, Weniva and Sada, the adult elderly sonat walk up just in time as it's all over. It's all over, and they show up later a Snat shows Kamala pictures of her mom when she was her age. Miniba was a huge fan of Bonjovi, which we already know Sana, And there's this really like wonderful mothers and Daughters seen generationally of Snat and Muniba rebuilding their relationship through their relationship with Kamala, which I just found to be wonderful. Like this is what this show does well, is stuff like this, like really well the I.
Speaker 2: Too plays Manieba is just so brilliant, and like the writing team does something. I really love this episode where it would have been really easy to have this episode introduce more conflict, but instead Maniba sees Kamala using her powers, realizes what her mother's son was saying was true, and just apologizes and then they're just like a team. And I thought that was really nice because that's the right thing. And Manieba is so impressed when she realizes that Kamala is a superhero, which I thought was like really cute. She doesn't tell her off or anything, She's just like wow, and I just I really like that. And I think this is like a very low key no one cares about apart from me theory. But from the beginning of this show, I thought they were establishing a space where like Manieba would design Kamala's superhero costume. And I do think after this episode that that's what we'll see next week, which I think is just so cute.
Speaker 1: Another X ray Vision prediction, get ready else That one's on.
Speaker 2: The low stakes, but full of heart, Full of heart.
Speaker 1: Back in Jersey City, Bruno is at work at the store when camraon waylays him in the alley as he's taking out trash. Korra's like, I need your help, and the two of course make a very awkward pair uh, camraon being Kamala's kind of crush, Kamala being Bruno's one hundred percent definite crush uh. And it gets even more awkward with comfront admits that he thought Bruno's name was Brian from he's been calling him that like a law. I will say, like as a person who's bad with names that I have done, I've got a system now, but I've like had numerous encounters with.
Speaker 2: People you are feeling represented where it's like, fuck, I one hundred percent should know this person's name by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's ridiculous that I don't know it. And Cameras I figure out how to figure it out.
Speaker 2: In Cameron's defense, like every time they've met, it's been like a life threatening situation, like trying to introduce his immortal gin mother to Kamala, who man may not be him, Like you know, Bruno, I feel like in this case he could. He does a good job while he just like makes a joke about it because I'm like, truly, Bruno, get over it, and they just good for them.
Speaker 1: They do get So they go up to Bruno's apartment and Camraan is like, listen, I need to stay put because my mom needs to come back and find me. He doesn't know that Najama is dead. And as they are just kind of discussing their next move, they look out the window and they see one of those damage control Stark drones like lurking outside and comeron uses his clan, his new clandestine powers to knock the drone down, and we are onto the season finale of Miss Marvel.
Speaker 2: After the drone blows up the socle q where Bruno works.
Speaker 1: So let's okay, here's my this is. We were talking about this offline. Okay, So Endgame established an MCU time travel structure, by which right, It's not like Looper or the Terminator where you go back in time and if I find past you and I cut off their hand all of a sudden, you know, like back to the future, your hand falls off or you know, or you fade out of a picture. What happens is if you change something, it starts a whole new timeline, and that timeline goes.
Speaker 2: On unless you change it back, which is what happened in Anger.
Speaker 1: Unless you change it back. But even then we can parsel. We can parse that because I think it's interesting to parse. But so what happened here is is Kamala's grandmother's life was apparently saved by Kamala, who time traveled back because of the dropped Bango to nineteen forty seven to reunite her grandmother with her great grandfather so that she could be raised and then so her mother could be born, and so then she could eventually be born and then go back and say and then go back and save it again. So the way it is implied in the show, and the way that Marvel's official recap, written by Marvel editor Rachel Page, makes it seem is that it's like a back to the Future dominator style closed time loop where Kamala has always gone back and will always go back, and has always gone back. We would imagine infinite times before this she has done this exact thing and nothing can change it. Is it that or is it like the endgame thing where she went back and either a arted an alternate timeline. So Kamala one, the Bengal has dropped, goes back through the portal, saves her grandmother. It's creating an alternate timeline in which Kamala two does the same thing, starting a new timeline in which Kamala three. You know, like, is it that or is it still like endgame? But because now here is where it gets this is a little tricky. But like so in endgame, right that you know the stuff that they stole they put back a second later. Now I would argue that you're still changing things. You're killing bacteria, you're serving things interest, the world is still changing, you're countering people on the way there, maybe somebody that is two seconds later. Yeah, like there's a bunch of stuff, right, the timeline is significantly Like you're playing with stuff and it's still remained the same, Right, So maybe what happened. So the alternate version of the endgame version is that Hassan was always going to find Sonat. He was really not that far from her, right, he was calling her name. He was always going to find her. They were always going to get on the train together. And this is the first time that Kamala has done this thing where she goes back to the past. But she actually didn't significantly change anything. She was just there. Nobody actually saw her except the grandmother who doesn't remember, and so therefore nothing changed and no timeline was branched.
Speaker 2: I think so, I think it is a closed terminate, a time loop.
Speaker 1: I also think I think that that is what they intend for it to be.
Speaker 2: I think it is, but I do think that so I will say off the endgame, yeah might much of many of us. I tried to understand the endgame time travel logic. I wrote an I call Esquire breaking it all down right, It is the very much and narratively it's a duex Macinas style decision, like it's something they created for the show that the Russo Brothers have regularly changed or contradicted in like answers. Since so, I don't know how like tight it is when you really think about it, because like you said, like if you're taking the stones but then you're putting them back, that allegedly would stop the timeline and make it the same. But how come then Steve Rodgers can go back and live an entirely different life, entirely change the timeline. That doesn't make any sense. Also, Steve, I got lots of well about that choice, the same things that you didn't do, But why will.
Speaker 1: The same here? I will say that Steve one hundred percent must have created another timeline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, absolutely question.
Speaker 1: There's another timeline because of he was there for years.
Speaker 2: Literally like ninety years, like and okay, so one thing I will say, I don't know how this would work. But if we look at the Infinity gems and when the ancient one talks about it, I think they say that they gems essentially they like stabilize the timeline that they're in, right, and that's why you've got to put them back to not separate off a timeline. What if the bangle, in its artifact nature stabilizes the timeline, so the fact that like it gets dropped and Kamala finds it, that's the thing that always putting back. It's like, as long as the bangle is the the thing that is there, that timeline stays the same, even if it's like a closed time loop.
Speaker 1: I thought about that too, and I thought about, like if that is what it is, and I think that is heavily suggested right, Therefore it's this written in stone event, Kamala is always going to do this. I think that there's a world in which, like much like hiding in Apocalypse in the Loki Show, hides you from the eyes of the Tva, there's a world which, like some time traveling figure who one hundred percent wants to know the safest place in the universe to hide out in or to hide something, you know, because we've seen in comics and various other stories where you hide, you know, you you magically hide something, you can shrink it down, hide it in a person you know, like or magically hide it in a person. If you want to hide something or or find out where the safest place like in the multiverse almost is it is right next to Kamala Khan, who cannot die time. She is immortal during this there is no way that anything bad can happen. She is unkillable during this time.
Speaker 2: The thing I find most interesting about from her.
Speaker 1: Baby from being born, even her parents, like the entire time that they come to the States, nothing can happen to them that will stop them from having this child. You could hide, you could hide some magically something within their the forums that could never be found or destroyed or anything, because they one must do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing I find most interesting about this choice is like one, I feel like it's like it's really interesting and I felt like it was very evocative at the end of last episode where we knew that once she got there that it was gonna be her the Trail of Stars, right, But like it does really remove Kamala from the ground level superhero thing, which is the which is what she always was was this kind of ground level Spider Man style superhero. But what I think is really interesting about this is like usually when we see these stories, it's because somebody is doing something to put that timeline in danger, which is like back to the future, you're gonna be eraised, something's gonna happen. That means you're gonna be erased, or you know, Terminator, something's gonna happen, and you need to do something to stop the timeline from being disrupted so you can still be here to stop it. It's also the most recent series of Umbrella Academy gets into this idea of like a grandfather paradox for everything to keep going. What is really interesting about this is that is not what happened in this series. There was never a threat to it. What we were seeing was just Kamala learn about it for the first time, which is more of like a Bill and Ted logic almost. It's I find it very interesting because it raises a lot of questions, and I feel like they are questions that were probably like, oh, we'll answer that in a couple of movies or something.
Speaker 1: My hot take is that if it indeed is this closed loop destiny thing, eventually they're gonna wreck on this just because and this is like takes us out of like the interior reality of the story and it's more of like a taste thing for me personally, which which is this negates Kamala's heroes journey and her agency. It was always going to happen, So it kind of doesn't matter any of the choices she made because she was always going to end up in this place, Which is why as mess and as kind of disx machine as the endgame system of time travel is, I actually like it because it makes the choices matter. Yeah, what you choose to do when you go back in time actually matters because you're trying to accomplish a goal that isn't set in stone, that it's very in flux.
Speaker 2: I think the argument. Okay, so this is like I've been thinking about this lot because I think you're totally right, and I also think it's there was a really great piece that somebody at nerdiced. I think it was Mariam wrote about the connection between Kamala and the Gin and kind of like what that really means in Western storytelling and the kind of Orientalist history of that kind of stuff. I don't necessarily love the idea that Kamala is the one who gets the preordained history, the preordained fate it feels, like you said, like it could take away some of that agency. Well, I will say one, I'm very interested to see what happens next episode because it feels like every loose end has been tied up. So I want to know.
Speaker 1: I want to know.
Speaker 2: But the one thing I will say, you know what we see here that happens at the end that seemingly we don't know if it would have happened before because the big change here comes essentially Kamala. That the difference in this version is that Kamala makes her family come together, but with an honesty about and the truth of like what happened, and Sna wasn't imagining things, you know, And I think like that might be the journey that they were on, which in a way again brings it back to street level. But I do find it very interesting because like maybe that happens in every time loop, maybe they always end up there, but I think Sunna kind of hints at the idea that they didn't. I also think with any time travel story, and.
Speaker 1: We talked it, there is really.
Speaker 2: Every time travel story. Also, you know what every time travel story. Anyone who writes a time travel story, this is what they want you to do. Oh, they time traveled and that's it. Are you to think about this stuff any ever one you think about time loops or paradoxes.
Speaker 1: It's like that. It's like that scene in Looper Ye Diner where the two versions of the same character like, listen, if we start talking about how it works, We're going to have straw wrappers as diagrams and we're gonna be here for three hours. We're gonna go and it's like, talk about it.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite. Thing is like what's everyone's favorite? My favorite is like, which kind of this is kind of like it, but they don't get into the power of it, which is like I like the Bill and Ted style, which is if you know you can travel into the future or the past, you can think of anything and it comes true, and that kind of it's a self fulfilling prophecy. So at the end of Bill and Ted, they'll say like, oh, you know, we're going to trap you in a cage and the cage falls down from the sky. At the end of this, when we defeat you, we'll be able to prepare this this and this I like it. I like it kind of like you can use it almost as a magical power, because anything that you say you're going to do in the future, you've already done. And this is kind of like that but reversed, but we never really see the power impact. Yeah, I'm so interested to see what happens in the finale because I feel like it's either going to be very intimate, which this show has kind of been but has strayed away from in the last couple of episodes, Like the first two episodes of this season are still some of my favorite MCU. That's what I wonder.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get the big, big show down with damage Control. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My hope for that this is not a theory, this is a wish and I don't think it's gonna happen. My hope for that is, like I hope that this version of damage control just gets absolutely decimated at the end of the finale. I do not like damage control as like the MCU's version of like ice. I like damage control as like weird. They're just like a building company that fixes stuff after they get broken. I hope that this.
Speaker 1: Is there is why I think that that is not going to go I know, and why I think it's actually a little interesting if I didn't love the way they did it. In episode four, we now have robots that look for powered people, run by run by a government agency that is openly antagonistic towards powered people, to the point where the rank and file are even just shitty to to the people that they have in there in their jails. It feels, I mean, we're like the sentinels are here, like it's.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's always happen, okay, just like we already like here, here are the here are the autonomous drones that are looking for people.
Speaker 1: They're doing it right now.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna ask you one. I think you're right, and I think it's very.
Speaker 1: I think this is the Sentinel. I think this, I think merge and we get the Sentinel program.
Speaker 2: St I think it's very like somewhere. I think it's very likely that next week in the finale, here's the outrageous prediction. But I think you're right. I think next week somebody might even call it a Sentinel drone or something, a stark Sentinel. Also, I'm going to ask you a second question because this just came to my mind. It's completely bonkers, but I feel like it's quite likely. Now you've brought this up, so we know that all of this misuse of Stark technology is going to play into Armor Wars, right, but they have kept very quiet about what Armor is going to be about, and we know that Rody's going to be in it. But do you think that if that's the case, Armor Wars takes on a more important role in like introducing sentinels and the notion of like X like X Men's style oppression of powered people. And that's what Rody is fighting against is the use of Stark Tech for Sentinel technology.
Speaker 1: I think that that's on the table. And I had another thought about just as I was rewatching this episode and being like, holy shit, like we're doing it like these are I know it's very very very early days, but this is basically what the Sentinel program is. We've often talked, We've talked ad nauseum for anybody about how could they do it, how they bring the dex Men in, How is it going to be because of Westfield? Is it gonna be because of because of the Blip? Is it gonna be interdimensional? Are they already here or is it magic? And I think there's a world in which you program right using Star Tech you program these autonomous robots who get smarter and smarter and smarter in learning how to detect people, and all of a sudden they go, oh wait, there's a bunch of them here in upstate New York that we found that nobody knew about that have been like underground this. They've already done it with the eternals, and maybe they wouldn't do it exactly like that again, but I do think that that is a doorway they could walk through if they wanted to, where this increasingly powerful sentinel system discovers mutants. And just to backtrack for one second, in this is gonna seem like an aside, but I swear it is. And Captain America inn Soldier, right, there's that there's the scene where uh, you know, they take a cap and Nat and take sit well to the roof, right, and they throw them off, and then Sam brings him back, and all of a sudden he spills and he's like, yeah, you know, we've this algorithm. It's looking for power for people who are in the threats still and Strange is one of them. Right, How the fuck did the algorithm know that Stephen Strange was up to Stephen Strange was up to literally nothing at that time. So Ratcon they well, definitely reckcon because that was like an easter egg to get people excited. At the same time, How does how does comic book storytelling work? That is ongoing storytelling work? It works because creators look back and they go, here's a weird thing. I wonder if I can blow this up and make this something. Yeah, in the interior reality of the MCU, there was already a computer eight years ago that was predicting who would be powered threats. So like in the interior reality the MCU, this technology already exists. No, I think it's so impossible that it could that. Much like Jasper Sidwell knew that Dandri Strange was going to be a player years before he would ever be a player, Maybe there's this ongoing project that eventually will discover people who are not even on the radar right now. Yeah, and that are in this world.
Speaker 2: Also, I think you're so. I think you're absolutely right. I can't believe you've turned me back onto the I'm like such a Dane McDuffie stand not every week, I'm like watching this and I'm just like damage control would never but you're right. Once you bring the X Men into it, I'm like, oh, this is actually very interesting. I think you're right as well, because what have they been doing the whole time that they've been doing this thing that I talk about every week, so get ready to hear it again. I've been thinking it's about secret Wars, but I think maybe it is about introducing the X Men, because what they've done in every single movie in this phase shang Chi, you know what was there? Oh, it's a secret group of people you've never known about, who are not on the radar, who have a certain way of fighting. Miss Marvel. Oh, there's this whole secret, hidden group of people or who live behind the veil in a hidden world. Maybe that they have some secret powers you don't know about setting up this idea that all around us are these worlds of powered people that we do not know. And the Eternals is another one, you know, and that very much took on a kind of almost Inhumans esque storytelling of like they've been here for so long, so it really would fit in with what they're doing to introduce an enclave. Also, we've talked about this before, but like Professor Xavier and Augean Gray. Either of them is powerful enough to essentially use their psychic powers to stop people knowing about them.
Speaker 1: They're very, very adept at doing that. Tune into this space to find out if we're right, and if we're not, just forget it.
Speaker 2: We've never said sentinels, We've.
Speaker 1: Never said that. Up next door, Love and Thunder, kids, get the popcorn, now hit me tell you the story of the.
Speaker 2: Space viking Thor. He was no ordinary man.
Speaker 1: He was a god. After fading planet Earth for the five hundredth time, Thaw set off on a new journey.
Speaker 6: Will he cut in shape?
Speaker 1: He went from dead bard to god board, and after.
Speaker 3: All that, he reclaimed his title as the one and only thor.
Speaker 2: Oh spook too soon, Jane.
Speaker 1: Folks were stepping off the goat boat into the shadow realm to break down Thor. Love and Thunder, which is in theaters now, directed of course, by TAIKOA. Tit, written by Takowa Tit and Jennifer Robinson, produced by Kevin Feige and Brad Winderbaum, and starring all of our favorite people. Once again, we opened somewhere in space. Our friend Corg is narrating the story to date. After the events of Avengers Endgame and the victorious fight to undo Thanos's step. Thor went to space to just get healthy. It didn't just mean losing weight. It means his mental health, it means his physical health. He just wants to feel better about himself, and that's what he went to space to do with his friend Court. And it took a while, but with some dedication, a healthier outlook, some exercise, some regular meditation, and of course the company of his now very close friends, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor becomes fitter, a more at peace former god of Thunder. We find Thor and the Guardians and the process of evicting some rodent alien bandits from a temple that they have occupied and stolen, essentially from a native population. In the end, Thor does find it necessary to destroy the temple to liberate it, and the indigenous population are more or less pleased. They would prefer not to talk about the fact that temples destroyed, but they're kind of thankful. And it's very clear from this that adventures such as these have been a regular thing for the Guardians and Thor, who have been at this for a while. This kind of this kind of adventuring these kind of fights where the guardians are fighting, and then thora Is the big Gun, comes in with his own catchphrase. But now Thor has a new mission, and that is to hunt down the god Butcher that slayed the gods of this planet. Speaking of that god Butcher in the past, long long long ago and some far off world, Gore and his daughter are staggering through an endless desert and they are praying to their gods, who it turns out, have abandoned not only Gore and his daughter, but their entire people.
Speaker 2: Which probably mention is dies we didn't explicitly.
Speaker 1: His daughter passes away in the desert, Gore finds the garden of his people's God. Turns out he's a pretty petty person, very vindictive, not at all caring about the people who worship him. And Gore comes to this beautiful garden in the moments right after his god had killed some creature who is wielding the Necro Sword, which is an ancient blade made of symbiote stuff that is capable of killing God's This god is like, you know, I don't care about you, I don't care about your people. I'll get more people. That's how it works, so you're annoying and I'm going to kill you now. And as the god is about to kill Gore, the Necro Sword chooses Gore as its next wielder, and Gore slays this god, and right then and there dedicates his life as the wielder of the Necro Sword to killing all gods everywhere across the universe. Back to Thor and our friends Thor and Cork say goodbye to the Guardians. They are getting ready to leave this planet. The natives of the planet are like, oh, thank you for saving Slash destroying our temple. We'd like to give you this gift of two huge goats that scream all the time as a thank you, but clearly also because we want to get rid of them. And Thora is like, thank you so much. I love these goats. I will name them tooth Nasher and tooth Grinder. They then travel to a snowy world. Corgan Thor do where because they got a message from Sif, And there they find a dead god, a huge dead god, this dragon like god that we saw in the trailer. Faligar the Behemoth has been slain by Gore, the god Butcher, and there in the field of war. In front of Faligar is our good friend, the warrior Sif, who is grievously injured and has had her arm cut off, and she sees Thoris. She's like, oh my god, thank god, Thor, it's you. I died in battle. Look at me, like, I'm going to Valhalla. This is awesome. This is what asked guardian warriors dream about, is dying in battle and going to Valhalla. And I'm about to go, and it's great to see your face in the moments before I go. And Thor is like, the battle is like long over. If you die now, you actually won't go to Valhalla, so sorry to spoil that for you. It's it's like fuck. So then Siff is like, okay, then just take me back to wherever you're going. They grab Sif and they buy Frost back to Earth. Meanwhile, back on Earth, our good friend, doctor Jane Foster, is now a successful public intellectual and the author of a very influential and successful book about physics. Unfortunately, she's also in the fight of her life against cancer. Her friend and former assistant Darcy Lewis, is there to kind of like support her through this. We recently saw Darcy, of course, taking part in the government response to the Westview incident in Wanda Vision. She's there to support her friend Jane, but of course Jane's cancer is stage four, which is the final stage. Darcy, at her wits end, contacts their old friend, the brilliant doctor Eric Selvig, who of course has been with us since Thor and the Avengers and etc. And he agrees also that he just doesn't know. He's not a medical doctor, but he looks at the scans and looks at the data and says, I'm not sure what we can do for Jane. But one day, Jane, here's a voice calling her to new Asgard is the voice of Mulnir. Much like in the comics, we find out that Munier has some sort of some sort of consciousness. Now Thor's hammer forged from the magical Uru by the power vote himself. And then we need to back up here because we get a flashback about what Jane and Thor had been up too between Thor the Dark World in Ragrok. So after the events of Dark World, Thor and Jane moved in together very much in love. So deep and pure was their love for each other that it actually imprinted itself into Mulnar. Their love became like a magical spell. But as often happens, Jane and Thor grew apart. They started arguing a little bit, hanging out different places, and then eventually they broke up unhappily, but they did do so, but the magic of their bond remained imprinted on Mulner. Now back to the present, Jane, desperately sick, she travels to new Asgarden, Norway, where the pieces of Thor's hammer are kept like under a little dome. They're immovable, of course, unless you're worthy enough to move them. That is the very place where they fell after Hella crushed them in the opening act of Thor Ragnrok. And then Jane comes and then the pieces assemble themselves into the hammer, which Jane, as the worthy wielder of nil Nerd, lifts, thus becoming worthy of the power of Thor. In New Asgard, we see that King Valkyrie's reign has been great. It's actually been pretty good. Like it's very very peaceful, and on the economic front things are going great. It's a tourist destination. People are coming through all the time. It appears that they have a kind of like Norwegian style European style, like healthcare and system, because everybody seems very well taken care of and everything's great. Unfortunately, it is also very very boring. King Valkyrie has to sit through endless meetings all day and she's bored by this. Our friend Meek at least seems very satisfied in their role as a member of the King's cabinet, but overall King Valkyrie is a little like is this all there is to life? Thor Korg and the Goats arrive back in New Asgard, and the very night they arrive, go strikes because this is the next target on his list. He's killing gods. He wants to kill the gods and New Asgard. King Valkyrie, Thorns and whoa mighty Jane Foster fight the minions of Gore and repel them, but unfortunately the god Butcher also escaped, with like two dozen as Guardian kids among them. Heimdahl's son Axel named for Axel Rose, apparently, who has similar powers to his late father, but hopefully is better at using them, unlike Himdahal, who missed every single fucking threat in every movie he was ever in. I rest my case that's enough about Himdhal. I won't speak. That's why I won't. Let's not speak ill of him, Heimdahl, you did a bad job, but let's move on. Well, we love you. Love you. Now. Through Axel's powers, Thor is able to basically astral project to where Axel is. They find out through the kids that Gore is heading to or hanging out at the Shadow Realm, and so Thor, King Valkyrie and my Jane Foster are like, Okay, we need to we need to go there and stop Thor and rescue the kids. Now, Thor, King v Jane and Korg. That's a good start, but we need more. They need an army. So Thor is like, I know where we can get one. Let's go to Omnipotent City, which is like the Las Vegas of the gods. Supposedly they're there like doing god governmental work, but they're never doing that Adam Nipputen City. Zeus is like the big daddy rock star of all the six one six gods. He holds sway there and he's pretty much like a dirt bag whose current calling is fucking and drinking his way through the anxiety of the ongoing Gore menace. Zeus very aggressively does not want to help Thor and is in fact terrified of Gore and would prefer to just hide here in a city, having orgies and drinking wine and not doing anything. So that's your answer, Thor, take it or leave it. Our heroes decide that's not good enough. They fight Zeus. In the course of the fight, korg Is turned to Rubble, very very scary moment here where I was like, oh, fuck, corg is dead.
Speaker 2: They definitely want you to think that Thor thinks that Thor thinks.
Speaker 1: My whole movie theater thought it. It was very very bummed out for a little hum. Don't worry corg Is. I'm not gonna say, okay, but corg is alive. At the end of the fight, though, Zeus has a big old hole blown in his chest thanks to his own lightning bolt weapon, which are heroes take for themselves because that's the only backup they have and now they're down Corg so they need all the help they can get. In the course of the argument and fight with Zeus in a city, our heroes realize that Gore's endgame is to reach Eternity, who is like a Genie at the center of the universe. You can think of him as essentially and if you reach Attorney, whoever can get there. No one's ever gotten there, but if you can get there, Attornity will grant you one reality altering wish, and we can assume that if Gore gets there his wishes, all God's be dead and there will be a genocide of God's across the universe. Okay. Meanwhile, Jane's cancer, which has never truly banished, much like in the comics, reasserts itself now while Jane is holding Milner. She has the power for but it comes at a price because it weakens her defenses, makes her weaker when she's not holding Milner, and thus speeding her towards her death. Jane begins to weaken dramatically after our heroes fight Gore in the Shadow Realm. It's clear that she cannot continue. Thora's heartbroken at just the thought of losing Jane. Hear their love has been rekindled, and now he's about to lose her before he can even get to spend time with her again. Jane, to Thor's relief, goes back to Earth to basically wait out her final hours This is some of the best stuff in this movie, the Jane Thor stuff. It's crazy that like, ten years after, I mean, you know, after the first Thor movie, we're now like paying off this relationship in a way that feels like really.
Speaker 2: Great, definitely, And I think something they do that's really heartbreaking but amazing and this is like they really make it very explicit that the reason that Thor and Jane's relationship failed is because they both loved each other so much that they started to put up walls because they were terrified of losing each other. And then in this moment where Thor is reunited with Jane and they share this honesty and they're both holding the mantle of th Or and they say, well, Thor says, you know what, I don't want to be scared of that anymore. I want to be with you. And Jane's like, well, I've got cancer, and Thor's like, look, I'm not doing this. I love you. Go and stay in the hospital, like we will sort this out, but don't you be picking up that hammer again. And it's like it's so it's so well done, and I love the relationship in this and I totally understand why this is the movie where Natalie Portman came back. Like, Jane gets so much great stuff in not just like heroically, but also emotionally.
Speaker 1: There's also Thors. Well. The other thing I liked about it, how is how it built on Thors again very dude like inability to access like his feelings of hurt and pain. You know, we saw it in Thor the Dark World. Yeah, we saw the way he responded to his mom's death. We saw the way he responded to the events of Infinity War and the opening of End Game, where he's just like a shattered person, unable to grapple with his failure to save his mother, unable to grapple with their his and the Avengers failure to save half the living things in the entire universe, and he's just crushed by this. And here even again as he's urging Jane to go home and like and seek medical care and stop picking up this hammer that is making her powerful but at the same time making the cancer more powerful, he's also in this very very human way he is unable to like acknowledge that Jane will die like he's still holding and again a very human way as anybody who's like ever dealt with somebody having like a like an illness like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, oh, you got to fight, Like you can't.
Speaker 1: Keep doing it. You have to go home and you know, like you can fight for every day and we can spill and and Thor still has that. That is where Thor's mind is at. He has not even begun to accept that he could lose Jane. And and it's really humane and heartbreaking. Thor tracks Gore and the kids to the Temple of Attorney and we get this great moment where.
Speaker 2: It's like one of maybe my favorite ever.
Speaker 1: It's this is why Tiger is great, because he balances just fun and creativity and wacky humor with epic action and real like emotional weight. So Thor uh, he's he's with the kids and he has them all pick up something that they can use as his weapons. Some have like a stuffed animal, Others have picked up like some stick that they found or a rock or a brick or whatever. And then, much like Odin did centuries ago, Thor bestows for a limited time only his power on all these as guardian kids, so that together they are wielding the power of Thor. And they opened a huge can of whoop ass on Gore, who, despite getting molly wopped all around the temple, does manage to break through to Eternity and crawl through to make his wish. So the kids are fighting Gore's shadow monsters of black berserkers. Thor is fighting Gore but steadily losing, and just in the moment where it seems like Thor is about to get his head cut off by the necro sword, Jane shows up and beats Gore's fucking ass. Unfortunately, the byfrost does manage to drill through to the realm of Eternity while all of this is going on, and Jane has spent the very last of her strength, and so Gore goes through to Eternity. Jane dies in Thor's arm, heartbreakingly, turning to gold dust and drifting away. Thor confronts Gore right in front of Eternity in this water realm that looks like something. It honestly looks like one of the boss fights from Elden Ring. That's it. It looked beautiful.
Speaker 2: So what happens? They go through to Eternity and Gore is gonna both of them and he but Thor says I'm gonna like, fuck you, you on wish, make your wish. I'm gonna spend the last moments with the woman that I love. And he's like, you could do the same, you could bring back your door. And then and then Gore says, and then Gore is like, He's like, but she'd be alone, And just before Jane dies, she's like, no, she wouldn't. And that's like, and that's when they make the agreement or whatever that Thor was gonna raise his kid, and.
Speaker 1: That's what that's what happens. So Gore passes away, but not before with tears in his eyes, he sees that his daughter has come back to life, and it's clear by the very fact that she now exists once again that he accepts that this girl will be entrusted in Thor's care. We flash forward Coorg narrates his relationship with another Cronan. It turns out that all Cronans are male, and this Cronan, Dwyane, he's fallen in love with him, and all Cronans to pro create, they go into the heart of a volcano where they hold hands and then create a baby. And so together they do this and they father a beautiful Cronan child. As the film ends, Korg still narrating, we see that Thor stay true to his word. He and the girl, now named Love. Together they are known as Love and Thunder are adventuring amongst the stars, as Thor has been doing with the Guardians of the Galaxy to open the film, and just doing good across the galaxy. And we close with this big splashy logo of Love and Thunder, and in that which is like a really cool surprise to realize that, oh, this is like, weirdly, this entire movie weirdly is like a prequel to the Love and Thunder relationship, that is Thor and his daughter Love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this so much. And also something that's really cool is like we can get into it a bit deeper later. But in the first established notion of Thor having a daughter was in the next Avengers movie from two thousand and eight, Next Avengers Heroes of Tomorrow, and in that she's called Torn, and Torn means Thor's love. So I think like DELI kind of continuing that tradition here, which I think is really cool.
Speaker 1: That Toran is the daughter of Thor and sif Yes, who throughout the comics and a little bit in the movies have had it on again, off again, on again, off agin on again, offship all throughout time. In the comics much more. You know, it's like pretty much like Sif has a crush on Thor, and Thor occasionally reciprocates but mostly doesn't. So we go to our first stinger. We see Zeus. He is pissed. He's got a hole in his chest. It's mending, but he's still got this big hole in his chest and he's got one of his servants that's looking after it. He is talking about Thor and how Thor did all this stuff and put up punched a hole through his chest, and how he was happy just kind of like chilling out and up nipping and city drinking wine. But now he's he's back to being the vengeful god that he always was, and he's mad and he wants to strike back. And I'm talking to you, my son, are you going to be the instrument of my vengeance? And the camera pans over and it's his son Hercules, who's like, Yep, I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: It, And also who is can we Just like Brett Goldstein from Tea, it's one of the most shocking castings of all time. I am so excited to see him get Marvel buff.
Speaker 2: Because you have to be buff, they see have to be you have to be buff.
Speaker 1: They did c GI him? Did they see Gi Helmsworth, Because I gotta say, some of those lats looked at you like.
Speaker 2: The Marvel Dyer, as Kamel spoke about, is a a truly terrifying thing. And and and they I think before they made these movies they're probably not allowed to drink water for like two days because they have to have that muscle definition that comes only from dehydration. But I would have been I mean, thoughs a god, so a little bit of CG would it would make sense? But yeah, Brett, very c G. Understandably, Hercules is a mammoth man.
Speaker 1: Hercules is here baby. No, of course, Hercules, Hercules and Thor fight a lot in their early incarnation. In hercules early incarnations in the Marvel Comics universe, they fight all the time. But of course Hercules, as often happens, it's a misunderstanding and he's a good guy anyway. And then he eventually does become a longtime member of the Avengers.
Speaker 2: And of course was there Jacket Avengers.
Speaker 1: It was there drunkenly during the Masters of Evil invasion of the Avengers mansion that Rosie and I love so much. This was during the reign of Janet van Dyne as leader of Leader of the Avengers. Anyway, in our second stinger, we see a beautiful green landscape glimmering golden hall on a hill and Jane Foster has arrived in this place and can only be Valhalla, the realm where as Guardian warriors go when they die courageously in battle. As Jane very very obvious just has who is there to welcome her? It's heimdahal Hella. Guess what We're going up there to that hole on the hill, and and then we were off, folks, and that is the end of our film. Uh. Some thoughts, Rosie, Your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, I really loved this movie. Like for me, it just it worked for me on a lot of levels. Like I I really love stories about kids and stuff like that. I think that's my eighties baby and me like so, I loved I thought Kieran al Dyer's axe Al was so great, and I loved that kind of nod of like Axel being the chosen name and Heimdel had named them astrid and stuff. There was so much fun stuff. I loved how creepy Christian Bale was. I thought he was so scary, and I loved.
Speaker 1: I had one Yeah, if I had one critique, it's like more Gore. That was like right, we were.
Speaker 2: So good and like needed so many creepy moments they were. He was really channeling the child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. This movie I really love like it balances. It does one of my favorite things. It's kind of in a way, it's kind of like a Chazam in the MCU, but like the Shazam movie had these really creepy, scary horror elements, but then this really fun family aspect, and I feel like if I was a kid, I mean, I loved horror stuff when I was a kid, But if you're a kid and you're a bit spooked by the scary stuff, you will get the biggest payoff of your life when you get to that battle sequence. Like that, to me, that balance between the family fun. There's also like I found the overall arc of Thor's story like very moving, and I thought that they did a really good job in terms of the stinger of kind of and we'll talk about that more in a minute, but like, they do a good job. I didn't feel like anything was done to get an emotional reaction for no reason. I felt like it was very well thought out and fun and wacky and wild and like so much guns and roses in this movie, but it just works so well, and like Taiker, just like they spent that money budget on that and they're gonna make it back. I was looking at going to see it on Friday, and it sold out at like every cinema Emmy, like almost Spider Man levels, and so I'm really excited for people to see it same.
Speaker 1: I really it is. It's my favorite movie of this phase. It is. I mean, listen, you know I've talked about a million times. I'm a lifelong comics fan. I love MCU movies. I love the bad Ones. Like I'm also a big Taicho wat fan. I think that I don't know that anybody again can quite match the mix of humor, action, and emotion that he particularly brings to it. Like the opening of Thor Ragnarok. I remember I remember watching it, and that that monologue that Thor has in front of sir in the cage where he's talking about all the stuff that he's been doing.
Speaker 2: And he's like, oh, I'm just spinning like it is.
Speaker 1: Like it's it. It gives you story. It is incredibly funny, and it was. And it was simultaneously completely unlike anything that Thor had done in Dark World, and Thor won right that was a more serious Thor.
Speaker 2: This is like not that.
Speaker 1: And it also felt of a piece with the character that had been established in that it was not jarring, It wasn't like the funny was this guy. It felt like a different facet of a character we had or a own, but was completely unexpected and funny. And that continues in Yes, where we're getting new facets to characters that we know and love, but we're seeing them in the in this really unique, funny, unexpected way that I think only type in the MCU is this is doing in this particular way. I just love you stuff me too.
Speaker 2: And something I really love about this is it's like it's like Gragnarok, but it's not like Ragnarok and the kid aspects of this stuff, which is something Tiger does so well, it feels much more like he's channeling his early stuff like Boy or Hunt for the Wilder People that charm of like the unexpected kid character that you actually like who is relatable and funny and sassy and like weird. And I loved where we left thora at the end of this movie, and I loved this kind of notion of of him carrying mole near and Love carrying Stormbreaker and that just and she has cool like cyclops powers where she can shoot lasers out of her eyes. And something I thought was really cool was when they mentioned they say he calls Carl, calls her like the girl born of Eternity, which one just sounds really cool, but feels like this is film that I think kind of like Doctor Strange too, which I really liked as well, But like this feels like a kind of a new phase, which is like movies that are just allowed to stand by themselves and just be crazy, wild, fun adventures. But if there's one thing that feels obviously like it's gonna stick, it's going to be Love. But also I think that notion of her having cosmic beginnings is going to be important and is essentially going to establish her as like a force that can help in the future when we inevitably start to see more epoch Eon celestials. Whoever else this is someone who's standing next to her, you know, Uncle Flora as she calls him, who is the god of Thunder. That's going to be able, They're gonna be able to put up a fight against these kind of cosmic elders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to take a moment, Rosie, to tell us about Eternity and some of those cosmic elder characters that we see in the Temple of Attorney. Eh, yeah, you know the heads we see them in the trailer, including a watcher perhaps who are to other figures there, like, tell us about what the role that these super super weird cosmic, super cosmic gods play in the MCU.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Eternity is like incredibly cool and was actually brought to life in the movie. If you've watched this now, which I hope you have, if you're listening to this, or if you haven't, you can go and google the comic because they brought it to life. Basically identically is brought to life as kind of this like walking being made of space and time. It's it's really impeccable to see and this is old. This is a sixties character, no surprise, because it's absolutely out there created by Stanley and Steve Dicko to icons first appeared in Strange Tales one thirty eight, which was in sixty five, I believe. And so it depends which canon. But basically Eternity is sort of like the beginning of all things Eternity and infinity, and in the Marvel Universe, different universes are created out of them and from of them. My understanding is Attorney currently is basically the living representation of the six one six, which I think is jevery so interesting. It's everything right, yeah, And then we actually so they they've had Attorney has had many children in the comics because, like you said something earlier which I just loved, Jason, where you were basically like, the reason comics are good is somebody sees something weird and says, oh, what can I do that? How can I blow up? This is a great example of that. So Attorney's had a bunch of kids. Most famously is Eon, who we thought might have been one of the statues. We're still not sure if it's Eon or EON's daughter, so Attorney's grand daughter Epoch, and these are all essentially these like abstract entities that represent huge beginnings and your ends in the Marvel universe Eon and Epoch. If you're like, oh, that sounds like something you guys have talked about before, that's because they are the creators of the Nega Bands, which we hyperphesized is something being adapted in Miss Marvel with the Bengals. I still believe that is the case. We saw the bangle on a cree arm. Yeah, so eternity like only usually turns up when there's like a terrible Fanos level threat, which is why he would have been able to be there for Gore. And I just thought this was like so cool, the wish thing I think they created for this movie, which also feels very relevant with the Miss Marvel reveals recently. But I just thought I couldn't believe how well done this was. And I think that the notion something that Zeus says in the Stinger, which is very funny because it's like it essentially sets up this notion of the old gods versus the New gods, Jack Derby, but also it sets up this idea that like something that you know many comic book fans and academics and storytellers have put forward this notion Grant Morrison being one of them, and it's been taken in kind of this ongoing conversation. Are superheroes the modern pantheon of gods? Is that what they are? Because we've created these stories and we've put them on this place, and now we worship them, you know, on the TV and all these things. This is making that text in the MCU where we're gonna see Zeus wants his attention back. So we're going to have the pantheon potentially some of those gods from the Ennead that we saw in you know, Moonnight, We're gonna see a version where the more traditional mythological gods are pitting themselves against what they see as new gods, these people in the sky, superheroes. I think it will be very interesting to see how Eternity and the actual most ancient creatures deal with that. And also something else I thought was really interesting to throw it back to my absolute favorite eternals. Thank you to everyone who always is like commenting, like don't stop talking about Eternals, Like I do it for you guys. But like the one statue that we didn't see in the trailer that was there was a celestial So I think that implies with that notion that like the celestials are that ancient as they are in the comics, and I think we're just entering into a really interesting world of like gods. But also it's much more like meta texture than I realized, because I think we are going to be looking at that more boys style conversation of like, are these the modern gods?
Speaker 1: Are these people we see? We do see a pair of celestials as our difference speed the goat boat out of them. I los see that we see a couple of celestials who were too big to fit inside the whole of God's just kind of like what so Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that I wonder if that hints that when we think about that old gods, it's not just Zeus and Dionysus and all the ones that we know, right I maybe in a Marvel universe, Yeah, it's also the celestials. It's eternity, you know, Attorney's chilling. They seem pretty chill. And also I feel like in the grand scheme of things, Turney probably pretty happy that that was the wish, like birthing a child that's gonna attend maybe do good, but generally, I think, yeah, I think that's where we're going, is seeing these kind of ancient deities want to take back their power from the soups.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. In the comics, Jane uh It becomes a member of the Congress of of Worlds, which is kind of like a parliament of God's essentially governing body. I wonder if, I wonder if valhal is gonna be a little like that. I don't know what they do, but and I would have met well Odin actually probably would Odin get there.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He just wasn I don't think so, I don't think right, he just kind of draw. So I'm gonna this is We're gonna we're gonna double dip theories here so that we cover this double.
Speaker 1: Li because I do think I love that we've the last of Jane, and I certainly don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. But I think another version that is equally as likely. In the comics, Jane goes to Valhalla because they think that she died, they allow her to go like they did here, but Jane goes back to Earth and then after that she ends up becoming a valkyrie. And I think there's actually a Jane Foster Valkyrie comic, and I think that is very likely as well, because I don't think if you're an Alie Portman, yeah, and you come back and you get to hold the hammer and wear the armor, which by the way, looked fucking banging like they bought Suscil Daughterman's like stuff to life. And Russell and Jason were both at the premiere, which is so great, and like, I don't know if you're just like, yeah, I'm chilled to be on like a cosmic Council. I bet you're like, so, what's the next superhero? Like, who is next? I want to So I think we could see a Valkyrie where we have Jane Foster as Valkyrie or some kind of super heroic iteration that is more connected like Valhalla. And I also think as well, like I just think that this isn't going to be the end of I don't think so Jane, And here's what's relationship.
Speaker 1: Here's my here's my prediction. This is based on absolutely zero. This won't happen. But this is me just fan ficking in real time. Odin doesn't get to Valhalla. It's like a you know it was he he dropped dead. It's a it's a it was a you know, a close call. But they went to var and did and looked at it on video replay and decided he didn't actually die in battle, so he's got to go to straight hell. Uh. Thor and Hercules of course have their square off at the beginning of four or five, but then they decided team up. With King Valkyrie's help, they managed to contact Jane and Heimdahl in Valhalla, and then it's a mission in the afterlife to charge into Hell and rescue Odin. Oh, I love the help.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna take all of that. I think I love all of that. But instead I'm going to flip it at the end and what they have to actually stop Odin because he's so pissed about not being in Valhalla that he's teamed up with like Zeus, he's a petty guy, man.
Speaker 1: I could see. I could see open News who's having a very very complicated relationship.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I think that you're onto something because I mean with Ragnarok Tyker basically just establish this anyway, but this very much once again establishes Thor as like the place for cosmic stuff. The place for weird stuff. They would do a whole movie in hell Cirta. The beginning is essentially already leaning into that kind of aesthetic and narrative, and like, I hope that. I think when they announced that Sif was going to be in this movie, and you know, when Testa did her speech at San Diego Comic Con and said, you know, King Valkyrie's gonna find a queen, I think a lot of people were hoping that would be like a love connection. I really hope that whatever the next Thor movie is, or maybe wherever we see King Valkyrie before again, I would like to see. You know, they did a really good job talking about queerness in this movie and establishing like the queerness of the Cronins and stuff, But I would love to actually get to see that explored a little bit more for Valkyrie, like that love romance finding that again, just like thought after she lost the person that she loved in battle, you know, I would love to see her get a chance to like find someone to connect with and like go around doing like cool.
Speaker 1: Battles Necro Sword. Where do we see it again?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Or because this is good, let's talk about this. This is actually not the last we've seen, the netcor sort of appears to be destroyed, although pieces of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like pieces of it actually went into Molnio, which I found very interesting. Okay, so let's talk about this because I think this is going to be a big talking point right in the comics. It was established in the recent Donnie Kates Ryan Stegmann Venom series. I think Venom issue four that the Necrosorders we knew it from Thor, God of Thunder, which we talked about a lot. Revik Jason Narron was actually the first all Black the Necrosord, and it was manifested by Null. Who is this like another ancient Eldritch kind of deity. Now, I would say, I think it's pretty fair to say that in this movie they very much want to say that the Necrosord is like not a living because in the comics, the Necrosord is literally a symbia, and people who have the symbia can manifest a separate symbia that is the Necrosord. I think they very clearly want you to be like, this is a shadow thing, Like this isn't a symbia, this isn't connected to Venom blah, blah blah. But that said, this is very much like that early version that we saw in God of Thunder, which this whole movie is basically taken from. So I think there's definitely a way in the future that this was just like an early version, or that's how it manifested for Gore, who had this connection to the shadow realm once he got corrupted, which, by the way, hilariously deep cut their shadow realm is like barely even in any Marvel comics. I just that was like the best Tiger deep cut. But yeah, I think it could not necessarily be retcon because I think this was probably always the purpose. But I think that in the future we should still see it take on those symbiotic tendencies, because I do think a lot of people, a lot of fans, they assume that once they announced this so close after the reveal in Venom, yeah, that this was going to be Symbia's. They've kept it open, so you could in the future say, oh, it kind of was, But it's definitely there's nothing textual here to say this is a Symbia or this is And also the Necrosord is more of a standard weapon that can weird shadows rather than being something that obviously replicates venom.
Speaker 1: I will say it does. It does you know, kind of like the Dark Hole. It does imprint itself.
Speaker 2: And yeah, very much like the Dark Cord.
Speaker 1: It corrupt very much like it. Very much like there are all. It corrupts the wielder and you know, to get it kind of into the weeds about like IP strategy. It may not be the symbiote, that might not be the plan, but it gives him the option exactly symbiote to do a non non symbiote if they so wish to do that.
Speaker 2: We know that there is a version or there is a tiny droplet of the venom symbia in a stinger with another Ted LASSU member. By the way, Marvel was like, we're gonna do that Ted making it into the mc They were like, it's dandy. I mean that has to be he has to come back. There's no way that was just a cameo. But that venom symbia lives in the MCU, in our version of it. In our world. Now we have this necrosord that is already manifesting symbia style shadows and monsters and beings. It does not seem very hard to imagine that those two things could come together and create a non Tom Hardy's chaotic and van.
Speaker 1: Now let me ask you, and let me ask you this. We have in your favorite MCU movie of all time, the Eternals. In the state of that film, we saw Dane Whitman the comics Black Knight come into possession finally of the Ebony Blade, which when they showed it rippled in obition, it was very symbial like, now we've got these two black swords in the MCU proper. Obviously, the Black Blade is you know, Arthurian legend magical except does correct people, that does corrupt people also, So I wonder how they if there is either a connection or if there's going to be very definite ways that they define these two swords differently from each other.
Speaker 2: So I I realized Slash Free lun Slash kind of cemented something today when I was writing about this, and a piece that you will inevitably be able to read when this comes out about the necrosord. Right, So very interestingly, in Thor Ragnarok, Hella's blades are called necroswords, and that is confirmed in what If that the helmet the reason it can shape shift and control the swords is because it is a necrosord, right. So I obviously it's not the version we've seen in the comics, and it doesn't seem to be connected to this, But I think the notion is going to be Like in the comics, there are many necro swords, and I think that whatever we whatever, I think the Ebony Blade is going to be the first necrosword. Maybe that's the one that was created by Null. I think that we're gonna and there's already multiple things called necroswords in the MCU now, both introduced by Tiger and then confirmed by what If. So I think that that Ebony Blade rip all that can't be a coincidence, just like no Way.
Speaker 1: I agree. I Finally, the question that everybody wants to know, where do we rank this movie in the pantheon? I will go first. I I don't have a number ranking. I want to see it again before I give it like a top five, top eight, top ten ranking. That said, I don't think it's better than Ragnarok, but I have it right there in whatever tier, which is the top tier of MCU movies, which for me is like Ragnarok Winter Soldier Infinny were in game, et cetera. Like I have it there because I think it's so fun and original and really great. Like I have it right there, not better than Ragnarrock, but in the tier, whatever tier you want to put Ragnarok in, it's right there with it.
Speaker 2: Where do you get you mine's exactly the same, Like my my, that top tier for me is like a little bit different. You know, obviously the A Tunnels does sneak in that, but like you know, Ragnarok is up there for me. Like I absolutely loved Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. I'm definitely being like catered to in this weird kind of like strange adventure phase. But also like, yeah, this is whatever that top tier is this. I agree Ragnarok had that like you couldn't you couldn't see it coming and you could never know what it was and that made it like so impactful. But definitely like Ragnarok Black Panther that top tier. But the first twenty minutes of shan Chi that's just like the opening. But yeah, like this is definitely in that top tier for me, and I'm I'm really excited for people to see it. I think this is I saw it when I saw Spider Man No Way Home when I came out of the theater. I saw it obviously at screening, and that's how we talked about it, but like I went to see it again and there were so many kids, every little kid, every gender, every kind of kid, in every kind of costume, in every kind of Spiderman T shirt from like four to you know, twenty one, like everyone that you could ever define as like a young person. And that was so cool. And I feel like that audience is gonna really love this movie, and I'm really excited about that because like, yeah, we are the generation that we're lucky enough to basically like come up and be there when the MCU first happened in a way that was noticeable to us because we'd lived through like the nineties where there was like no superhor movies and then we'd had you know, these incredible non Marvel Studios movies, but like we got to feel that impact.
Speaker 6: But they're a kid who like that's all they've ever known as like blockbusters, and I kind of love the notion that this might be their favorite, this might be the one that really gets them excited and that makes them want to be a superhero or want to read more about superheroes and stuff that that just.
Speaker 2: Warms my heart. I'm a grandma that way.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what's one of my favorite things, Rosie is hosting this podcast with you. I say, another great one. It's great to be back after a week off. Rosie. What do you have to plug? What's going on with Godzilla? What is happening in your life and career that you can take part in that we can read, that, we can watch it, we can listen to.
Speaker 2: Well, I will have lots of thought because going up, no surprises. I'm also got Miss Marvel stuff going up. You can find that nerdist IGN also doing a lot of anime coverage IGN. I know I got a lot of manga and anime lovers out there who listen to this podcast. So that's really cool. That's been nice to dip into Godzilla Versus Batchel. The final order cutoff has passed, but that does not mean that you cannot go to your comic shop and say, hey, I would like a copy of Godzilla Versus Batchel of Rivals, which we found out sold very well in pre orders. Thank you so much. To everyone who pre ordered, and it's going to be really exciting. We're going to be doing sie. We are going to be doing an x ray Vision giveaway that we will have more information about soon.
Speaker 1: That's right, we're going to be air dropping Godzilla Batra. We're gonna be dropping it over your home when this time it comes out, Folks, stay tuned right here, because we're going to be delivering it to you in a major way. Folks. Check out the show notes for the listener's guide to Extra Vision, where we provide more details on everything that we talk about in each and every episode. Next week, we're back on Friday, July fifteenth to the Miss Marvel finale, a bunch of TV ketchup including the Boys, and more exciting housekeeping announcement, x ray Vision. The YouTube page will be moving from Uncultured on YouTube to its own channel starting this week. Xtra Vision will be taking over the Takeline YouTube channel as the dedicated x ray Vision channel, So check there for all the video versions of the podcast, as well as different video content that we will be releasing each and every week. Please subscribe. If you have thor loven thunder questions, send us an email. X ray at Crooked dot com. Or any questions about anything whatsoever reach out on social We may have a time to answer them in a mail bag segment coming up next week. But of course we'd love to hear from you. Love to hear your questions. Don't forget also rate and review us x ray Vision five stars. We want the five stars on every platform where you can give us reviews. If you want to do that. If you want to review x ray Vision, give us the five star ratings. That's what we need, that's what we love. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lorden soul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy's Rhard Are editing and sound designers by Facilla's Photopoulos. Dilon Villanueva and Matt Degroup provide video production support. Alex Rella for to handle social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for thee music. See you Next Time by folks