Speaker 1: This is what I know about being a Jets fan. Nothing matters, nothing man will go wrong. You could have every first round pick and they will suck a bag of Aaron Rodgers tearing his achilles before he completes a pass.
Speaker 2: I went, Yep, it sounds like, exactly is there hope this year? There's never What are you saying? No hope? Why am I Richard Dreyfus? There's no hope? Ever?
Speaker 1: Do you understand that there's never hope for the New York Jets. I watch teams play football and they convert on like third and six.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm watching a magic trip. I go, oh wow.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I didn't know you could do that third and six and you're not gonna run a draw again?
Speaker 2: You know Jets by jetting, Oh my god, they're the worst. Welcome to Games and Names. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we are on a mission to find the greatest game of all time. And on today's episode, we are covering Doc Goodin's teen ninety six no hitter Mariners Versus Yankees with actor and comedian die hard Yankees fan Jaymore, and we get into talking the legendary Yankees run of the nineties. I'm so happy just reading these names. This was like some of the best times of my wife. I just love this team so much. La versus New York sports fandom.
Speaker 1: Then when I was like twenty and I moved to Manhattan, it was Nicks. And then I move out here and I'm into the Lakers.
Speaker 2: They were fun to watch this year. Man lucas a witch. What makes Tom Cruise so legendary?
Speaker 1: If Tom Cruise pumped gas in mine, not North Dakota, he would have still been become Tom Cruise. You cannot cap whatever that thing he has is, you cannot deny it.
Speaker 2: They would have found it. And we play some starting five sports movie audition with this week's Chill Zone presented by cors Light. You gotta stick around to the end. Let's go Games with Names the production of iHeartRadio. May fourteenth, nineteen ninety six, Yankee Stadium, the Bronx do yok bottom of the Nines. Two men on, one out, strikeout, pop up ball game. This is the Doctor no game. Hi, let's do something. Welcome to Games with Names. Today we are looking at Doc Gudin's no hitter Mariners versus Yankees, May fourteenth, nineteen ninety six, with Jay Moore, Welcome to nuthouse, Jay my man. In one sentence, why did you pick this game? I was there?
Speaker 1: Yes, you have to understand we had the best player in the American League, one of Don Mattingley, and we never with Buck Showalter as our manager, we always topped out like almost playoffs all we were just that ah ah couldn't get over the hump. Maddingly retires with a bad back. Joe Tory comes in and we're all like, Joe Tory, who the fuck is this guy? And then it becomes Joe Torre's Yankees. And he also brought in like Ruben c Like Doc Goodin was old. He was like almost forty, maybe he was forty during this game. And but we also had like Cecil Fielder old, Ruben Sierra old. They brought back Mike Massina old, Roger Clements old. It was like like what the Raiders always try to do in football, like no, no, you're all right, come on, you, old crazy man. But the thing with a no hitter, when you go to a football game or like a Super Bowl or a World Series, you bring all your hype with you.
Speaker 2: This was a Tuesday, which.
Speaker 1: Is I This was the day I auditioned for Picture Perfect and I checked my message is from a payphone outside the audition, and my downstairs neighbor Milton, said, hey, you.
Speaker 2: Want to come to that smelt and you want to come to the Yankee game with me tonight?
Speaker 1: I'm like, sure. First inning, Hey, he's got a no hitter. Ha, Fifth inning gets a little weird. Seventh inning, you can't breathe. Eighth and ninth inning excruciatingly stressful as a fan. And it's against Ken Griffy Junior's Mariners, Jay Bunior, Edgar Martinez, Paul Sorrento, a Rod. It was not it was every pitch you were like, it was excruciatingly terrible.
Speaker 2: All right? Is this the greatest game of all time for me? That I was at? Sure?
Speaker 1: But I've been to a bunch of Patriots Super Bowls that won against the Rams. You guys were eighteen point underdogs. You were still throwing the rock at Kent State, and then you two performed at halftime.
Speaker 2: I brought my dad.
Speaker 1: That was the first Super Bowl after nine to eleven, and they did where the streets have no name and they had silks on the sides of the state. I never saw my dad cry before, and they had the names of the departed in alphabetical order going up the screens. And when the song was over, I'm getting choked up.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: My dad looks at me and he's crying, and he goes they only got to the MS.
Speaker 2: I was like, my god, And.
Speaker 1: Then you guys got it. Then they got to play football. It seems so.
Speaker 2: Stupid, Jay, What are you up to these days? More Stories podcast? More Stories podcast? I know you got to get me on well I tried once.
Speaker 1: Well you hit me up a day after. Yeah, I'm like, I'm a jilted lover. We'll get on there. We'll get on that anyway. No doing the podcast. I'm not on the road so much anymore. That's a young man's game.
Speaker 2: The road.
Speaker 1: It is always five hour flight from home, just doing stand up and sitting in a hotel room in Albany for two days.
Speaker 2: The road. It's got to be kind of fun early on in it, oh yeah, and then it just becomes a grind. Did you get into football?
Speaker 1: Like, if we compare show business and athletics, I went in for fame so that I could get girls, yeah, and then I would also make money, and then it becomes I want money to get girls, because now I got a little like, what was what was your mo o?
Speaker 2: Going into sports? Like me, I just wanted to make team to prove to myself that I could be the guy that I wanted to be. Oh, it was really an internal thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, of course everyone wants the money and stuff like that. But I remember when I was coming out, I got a contract to go play for the British Columbia Alliance and I was so ecstatic and it was like I was gonna get like it was an incentive based deal and it was like one hundred and eighty grand. If I started to be like two hundred, I'm sitting there like I'm gonna be rich. I don't know how I'm gonna spend all this money. But the thing is, I just wanted to play football. Like I was always against the odds with all these to the naysayers and to the people, But to me, I always felt like I could and I was always I had this chip on my shoulder where, you know, I was trying to prove people that I fucking belonged to here where I didn't. I was pretty focused.
Speaker 1: Where's that chip come from? Do you think that's got to it comes from my dad? Always you and your dad were clothes. Me and my dad are still very close. He he would challenge me. My dad challenged me a lot. So you're pleasing your dad every time. I'm pleasing my dad, and you know still I'm still doing it. Yeah, you have that relationship with your father. My dad's very apathetic, like not a lot of passion for things.
Speaker 2: So it was like and my mom.
Speaker 1: I grew up in an alcoholic house, so like it was chaos and he was gone a lot, and then my mom was raising us in alcoholism. So it was I think it was my way. Doing comedy was my way of just it's what I could control. Some people do eating or bolima or some people do drugs. At that age, it was like I can make people laugh and they're right in front of me. I can everyone's I can control this like a marionette. But I still you're always just trying to please. I think we're all just trying to please our dads at the end of the day. I mean, if you have that relationship with them. But we had opposite relationships with our dads. That's what's interesting to me. And we had the same mo Yeah, how do you mean opposite?
Speaker 2: Well, your dad and you. Your dad was raw. Rah. My dad was raw, raw, but he had he had. My dad was in a book like huh what Okay. My dad was very well, my dad didn't you know what, Like my pops didn't have a dad, So he was very He was very experimental, and he had a thought process of what he thought great dads did and he went to that, but he didn't know what that was. But he also knew when he went too far. My dad was also the lover in the family. My mom was cold. My mom's cold. She would always, you know, like you too, need to stop fighting like that. You know. My dad would sit there and like rub your feet after he whooped your ass. What's your dad's name? Frank?
Speaker 1: Think about how amazing Frank is that he had no father to learn from. So all the love you found and received and felt from your father, he had to figure out a way to create it on the fly. There was no like schematic or diorroma from one thousand percent.
Speaker 2: And that's what I explained.
Speaker 1: The kind of insight you get on the More Stories podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is good insight. Well, you know, I got to get on there so we get some more stories there. It is got the promo so young jmore went you You got into comedy because of the chaos in your household. When did you know that you were pretty good at making people laugh? Oh? Boy, it wasn't until probably six months in.
Speaker 1: I was sixteen years old and I did stand up at a plate hold on Becauesse.
Speaker 2: Is this sponsored water? It's my water, perfect hydration nine point five pH. You want to keep those alkaline levels perfectly in the right meter so you can get that recovery that will give you the perfect recovery for your.
Speaker 1: I'm J Moore and my PSC clear.
Speaker 2: And with clear P. That means you have a great hydration level. Yeah, it's implied perfect hydration level.
Speaker 1: From the second guess the man it's his water, you'll be out on your ass.
Speaker 2: Did you guys have the chart in the locker room jewels? We used to get pee tested before, Like we have to piss in to our our our dietitian and you have to check our No you go, you can't go out until you drink two bottles.
Speaker 1: I have to when I was in rehab, a guy had to watch you piss. Yeah, you're well, nothing like this one.
Speaker 2: But if it was job Yeah, if steroids, you gotta pull, you gotta pull, and you gotta pee with your butt cheeks out d out in front and he's got to watch. Yeah, what a great shock style pants down To keep the fake right, I've had to do. I had to take a ship once because I couldn't pee. I had to ship and the guy had to sit and watch me ship bare knuckle berry and I'm sitting there trying to get this pee them. It was bad.
Speaker 1: Did you ever pinch the helmet before you peed so to impress them?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: If you saw the guys that was walking around, he saw suff stuff that he was impressed by, he wasn't gonna be impressed by me. He's like, I used to work with Warren Sap. That ain't nothing. We won't go into that today. Damn. I think I did stand up. To get back to your question.
Speaker 1: I was born a comedian and when I finally saw a commercial to do an open mic for teenagers, I went it was like, Oh, That's why I'm obsessed with comedy. I'm supposed to do it. So I wrote three minutes three to five minutes of material and it went on stage and it was like, it's an exercise and presence.
Speaker 2: It's very you.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, every sound like the ice machine, this, that person's like touching their pants or just everything is relevant all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like doing acid. You know, you're just like holy smokes.
Speaker 1: Everything is everything all of a sudden, and I have to keep talking. And then but when I did stand up the first time, it was a Sunday at noon, not great set up, and.
Speaker 2: Then was it a church? After church?
Speaker 1: I was it might as well have been, right. I wore my nice shoes and uh. Then this guy goes, what are you doing Wednesday night? There's an open mic in Hackensack, New Jersey, Come meet us there. And I was like, all right, So I went to the Wednesday open mic. I'm still in high school. I was like, I gotta go.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: I got school in the morning and they were like, great, don't worry about it. And then they said, what are you doing Saturday? There's an open mic in Montclair. So everywhere I went I got invited to another place. So I for the first time I found my tribe because I was I was a weird kid. I was a wise ass, and then I'm a wrestler, and that's like being that's a weird, monastic life. You're just this slne wolf. You can't really share what you're going through with anybody. Now, all of a sudden, I these people that loved what I loved, and we talked about that thing we love. I was in this like real fertile garden community. Yeah, you felt community. Yeah, I had my locker room finally, exactly. Now you you wrestled as a kid, yeah, weight class one, five one, nine thirty five one, and then I coached for a while Palisades High, Cresby High School in Beverly Hills High Oh wow, and a fight Science on Washington.
Speaker 2: Now did you were you a wrestling kid and like a theater kid or was that all in inside and then once you got into stand up you kind of started hitting your thespian.
Speaker 1: No, I wasn't a theater kid at all because it wasn't cool, and I lived in fear of not being accepted.
Speaker 2: And you know that.
Speaker 1: My whole mo was just hope everybody likes me. That's my first addiction is your approval. If you don't like me, I'm not sure how to act. So I just like what you like. So we get along Jack. Yeah, so it's kind of like Jack the same way. Yeah, going to a meeting later if you want to tag along.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm down. My aff news wide open after this. I love how these guys get Mike's that's in prep. I gotta stare in the show. They're part of the show. That's Jack and Kai, Jack and Kai little.
Speaker 1: Diddy making kids going up starting the capitol on January look at them.
Speaker 2: He went, a day early.
Speaker 4: I think that might be like, that might be our like, that's the January Adam Raid did the same job, said January sixth, he said, a day early, day early.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. It's a little undercutting a little more.
Speaker 4: That's the kind of stuff you get on more stories. Maybe that's a little ledge, little edge.
Speaker 2: Let's go. So you're a wrestling kid in Jersey, start doing stand up sixteen, running around all these open mics. Where did your sports fandom come into in all of this. That's a great question because.
Speaker 1: In Jersey we had the York Star Ledger, and it was we had Yankee games, on Channel eleven. Phil Rizzuto, Frank Messer and Frank White were the announcers. Reggie Jackson and then after that Don Mattingly, And I don't know where it came from. I just think I loved rooting for something. I love that that thing that like we're all like talking with your buddies at school. Like remember when you're in grammar school, you don't realize there's division the football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're like, oh, you know, Steelers are in first place.
Speaker 1: And I remember this kid, Gary Milosha goes, my dad says the Vikings are in first place, and we're like.
Speaker 2: Wow, you get the fucking idiot, the fucking Vikings. But they were yeah, but we didn't know from probably like eight years old too. It was exactly that, Hey, you're dropping f bombs because I think the Vikings are. Then he was Gary Viking for the rest of his life. For the rest of his life. Oh man, Nothing like when your mom dropped you off into like second grade, and as soon as you saw her drive away and you were with your boys, you're dropping fuck fuck it. Oh my god. We had a football field painted.
Speaker 1: I lived on a dead end that was flat and we had a football field painted on the street. So that was every day, and it was if I heard my son, either of my sons, speaking the way that I spoke at that age, I would have sent them to military school.
Speaker 2: That apple, don't fall too far from the tree. Exactly what you were doing, don't.
Speaker 1: My youngest go, well, you know how, you know, like when I'm at my mom's I cursed, like, I can't help it.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm like, what do you mean you can't help it? You know what?
Speaker 1: He asked me, my youngest, Like, your kids are probably smart.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: I got a real smart one. It's amazing when you have kids that are complete opposites. I got one kid, my twenty two year olds at Oregon. He calls me up. He goes, I'm really struggling. I got this Uh, I got this Earth Science final. It's kicking my ass. I've been studying for six weeks and I figured it out that if I get a seventy on this final exam, it'll bring my GPA down to a ninety and I can still graduate with an A. And I went, uh, yeah, I can't get your brother to dry his feet when he comes out of the shower, like so I think you're the smart one.
Speaker 2: I realized. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: My youngest ask me the other day it is Jackson Jewish. I go, your brother, He goes, yeah. I go, how could he be Jewish if you're not Jewish? He goes, I don't know how this stuff works. He goes in his bedroom and slams the fucking door so hard that I'm in my kitchen.
Speaker 2: Going, maybe his brother is Jewish.
Speaker 1: It was the nineties. It was a different time, like he shook me. Yeah, I got a little girl and you're dead. Girls will take you out. You wonder why mommy drinks in the garage. You're so stupid, you fart when you pee. You took me to Target and you wore a red shirt. It was Humiliario.
Speaker 2: Right now, she's at a great age where you know, she's not like that. I hope she doesn't go like how old eight? No, But it's honestly a great age. We just went to the Dodgers game yesterday and she had a fucking blast, and she's all excited for camp schools out. So we're at the stage where she absolutely still loves me, and I'm hoping you don't have any girls, do you? No? See it's different with the girls. Yeah, I hope. So, yeah, they warm your heart.
Speaker 1: Man, there, if I had a girl, she'd be a serial killer because I would never tell her no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be like, all right, get her a pony. Jesus Christ, let's Lily's not hearing this one. She's been lobbying. She's been lobbying for a pony for the last pony. Jack and cot don't ever just know it's Jack and Cony money, Jack and Cole. So what's your hierarchy of sports? Then? When you were a kid, it was talk about jets. So how the fuck are.
Speaker 1: My because the sack exchange, I'm eleven years old and it's gas to mark As, it's Joe Cleco, it's Marty Lyons and Abdul Salaam.
Speaker 2: They were absolutely.
Speaker 1: My first thing about football was there was two guys with like twenty sacks on the same defensive line. They just get into the playoffs. They lose to the Browns fourteen nothing in the wild card game. I'm like, all right, I'm in on the ground floor of something great. Basically, it's pet smart stuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought I was getting in with Coca Cola, and I got in with MySpace.
Speaker 2: It was on top at one point.
Speaker 1: At one point. At one point, so was Richard Todd. But I don't think the Jets they.
Speaker 2: Won a Super Bowl three?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, before I was born, rub it in three, Herman Edwards, Chad Pennington that was and then Parcel nothing mad. This is what I know about being a Jets fan. Nothing matters, Nothing man will go wrong. You could have every first round pick and they will suck a bag of dicks. You know what it's sad. It's sad. It's it's being past sad to amazingly hilarious. It's Aaron Rodgers tearing his achilles before he completes a pass.
Speaker 2: I went, yep, sounds like exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's there's no is there hope this year? There's never What are you saying? No hope? Why am I Richard Dreyfus? There's no hope?
Speaker 3: Ever?
Speaker 1: Do you understand that there's never hope for the New York Jets.
Speaker 2: You don't like the new coach. I don't even know who it is. Who is it? Glenn Oh? I love Byron Glenn. I love Corners just because he was no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I didn't say I was high on him. I love him, but it doesn't matter. That's what they do. They get you sucked in. It's like the Mob or being in the Hell's Angels. You can't get out.
Speaker 2: Who's the who's the quarterback? Justin fields? Justin fields?
Speaker 1: Right, we could have drafted him instead of the Mormon guy that's a mill flover, and we we take Zach Wilson instead of Justin fields, and now we have justin fields. That's the most Jets thing ever. I'm shouting, don't you see?
Speaker 2: Do you know what jets stands for? What does jet stand for? Just? And the season? Just end? This season? Any season.
Speaker 1: I watch teams play football and they convert on like third and six.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm watching a magic trick. I go, oh wow.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I didn't know you could do that. Third and six and you're not gonna run a draw again?
Speaker 2: You know, Jets by jetting, Jets by jetting. I watch you guys.
Speaker 1: You got guys like Jabbar Gaffney looking like all pros out there, Like you guys had the schemes you had, you were an animal. I'm like, I'm just waiting for if you were on the Jets, they would have put you in the Wildcat for fifteen straight snaps, you would have you would have been signing autographs for parking meters two years into your.
Speaker 2: Career probably probably, Oh my god, they're the worst. Yeah, so Jets number one, Yankees number one or no.
Speaker 1: It was growing up it was Yankees Jets, and then it was Jets Yankees. Then when I was like twenty and I moved to Manhattan, it was Nicks. Like, oh, man Patrick, another team, Just why can't they get past that?
Speaker 2: Why did they fire the coach?
Speaker 1: I don't know, dude, Thibodeau. Thibodeau, I bet he did pretty good. Well, at least they got a new one already.
Speaker 2: Hey they got they don't That's the point. It's crazy, you shit, I don't know basketball. Oh fake it, t you make it baby.
Speaker 1: I'm on Jules, and then I move out here and I'm into the Lakers, and then obviously you know, with my beautiful wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Lake Show. They were fun to watch this year. Man, Luca's a witch. That was like when they first got him, it was looking real good. I've never seen that was.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize he was play level fame like Ronaldo. It was other like he was his first game. There was three circles of photographers filming him with his head down during the national anthem. I've never seen that every home game in the last ten years.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's a world figure. Yeah, he's Pele. That's crazy. It's gonna you gotta get him in shape. He's in shape. I've been training with him. You didn't know me when I was fat. I didn't. I'm coming out of it.
Speaker 1: In that picture with the with the little hat on there, I was up to two forty kids. Why I put down the pipe, I picked up the fork. I quit drugs and.
Speaker 2: Ate so that all happened. Good Mexican food will get you. I was.
Speaker 1: I was coaching wrestling and fighting on speed, staying up all night, burning a lot of calories, greenies and yeah, and then uh, then I stop all that, and then I go to meetings every day where.
Speaker 2: They serve cake cake and cookies.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like an equalizer on a stereo, just going back down.
Speaker 2: You look great right now, don't feel great? Feel on the I'm in the nuthouse.
Speaker 1: You're clear, yes now, No hockey devils came when I was fourteen.
Speaker 2: This guy, he's a Jets Yankees and a Devil's No. I don't know. I don't just it's too fast for me.
Speaker 1: I don't even watching the game two nights ago, even when they played in slow motion. I don't know where the fucking puck is. I don't know what's happening. It is a fast game.
Speaker 2: I didn't start watching hockey until I went to Boston, really, and then I became hooked. I mean I watched, I went to my dad.
Speaker 1: True, you guys were going to remake Bosom Buddies, you and Dinochara, well, he and you were gonna be Peter Scullery.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't don't know the reference.
Speaker 1: Tom Hanks didcom are They lived in a woman's house and they'd addressed as women to get by. Great sitcom.
Speaker 2: I've seen, I think I've seen memes of it.
Speaker 1: I was afraid you're being insulted and want to fight me. I got nervous halfway through that explanation.
Speaker 2: Right, you're a wrestler, James, there you are. This was a show. This wasn't a movie. This was a show, The Daily Show. It is great. Maybe get grinking there and no one can tell. Now that's you just see that in venice Ere hanging with Lebron at all. No, No, I think that's the best thing that happened to Luca is that he got to see how Lebron prepares. It's true. Yeah, I mean that is the best thing for him. Well who was that guy? For you? Was there a guy Tom Brady? Yeah, I mean I go in there. You see this guy get his arm worked on twenty four to seven. He's only eating avocado and fucking deer poop or whatever it is. And he was eating avocado and fucking yeah. I was like, all right, well whatever he and it's like he dear poop, Yeah, just caught because I think there's like some good stuff in there or whatever. But he would eat and fuel his body. And he was the oldest guy in the room, and he was playing like the youngest guy in the room, which Lebron you could say the same thing with him now. Standing up for me, that was Dane Cook.
Speaker 1: I'd go to the laugh Factory every night meeting in the like late nineties, and every night it was like who's gonna have said of the night?
Speaker 2: Mere Dane?
Speaker 1: And I remember I was in the back. I'm just like goofing off I'm smoking weed drinking. I'm like what ebbs And Dan goes up and I remember the bit he did a bit about his mom when you make your bed, when your mom makes your bed in the summertime and there's so much humidity and the sheet just stays in the air for like a minute, and he just stood there and he didn't talk. He just stood there and I could see my childhood bedroom, I could see the sheet, I could see the window, I could see my backyard.
Speaker 2: Just like something.
Speaker 1: I was like, holy smokes, and he held for the laugh and then it wasn't funny anymore. And then he still didn't and I realized, Oh, this guy's completely outworking me. And there's been like read different times and stand up, and it was each time it was Dane Cook.
Speaker 2: Where I went, I got to get to work. I was always latching onto the stud of my team to learn why he was the stud. So even at a young age, when I was eight years old, I wanted to hang around the eleven year olds because or the ninth or was it ten year olds on the junior peweys, because they were the best guys. What were they doing to get them to make them so good. When I got to the Patriots, I just sat there and I would watch Kevin Falk how he prepared. Who was in his like twelve thirteen years Garrett Blunt, he didn't come until way later. But like the older guys, the Ted Teddy Bruski was still there, you know. I wanted to see why were they still there, you know, and then I would try to copy what they did, and that's and that's how I learned. But Tom was like one of the big reasons that that happened. Who are some of the other guys that were in your craft in comedy that you looked up to, like Dang Cook motivated you? Was there any other up in New York?
Speaker 1: My manager, Barry Katz, owned the comedy club in the village around the corner from the Comedy Cellar. It was called the He was from Boston, so it was called the Boston Comedy Club, idiotic name from Manhattan. Comedy was Great Boston Comedy Club. And every night it was me, Dave Chappelle, Dave Attel, Bill Burr, Patrise, O'Neil, Keith Robinson, Rich Voss, Jim Norton, Dane Cook. I mean, when I tell you Monday Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. It was us wow, every single and you didn't want to be the last guy to the club because they had they could see you walking up and they'd have a blockhead start to make fun of you. See, we all got there early and then whoever was last, Like, man, look at those tight pants?
Speaker 2: What do you know?
Speaker 1: Which dozens right away? And like we were so like iron sharpens iron. We were so battle tested. You go on the road and the crowd sucks and you're like, I don't fucking think so it ain't me, it's you, and you can just do great because we already had our biggest competition was with each other.
Speaker 2: That was your locker room. That was our locker room. Yeah, you know, because that's what that's how we treated working and we watch each other pee. That's a locker room called back. Did you guys shower together? I wish any fun stories between there, like some of those green rooms. Is like we always ask athletes, what's a fun locker room story? You know?
Speaker 1: I think it's more in the car because you drive to a lot of gigs. Do you remember Ralphie May the six hundred pound comic Ralphie, one of my best friends, Rest in peace, big brother. We were driving to Phoenix from here and it was pouring rain on the ten in the middle of nowhere, like the kind of rain. Were like, yikes, you gotta do twenty miles an hour on the ten freeway. And then the rain stops, and the guy that was driving the car, my friend Walter, looks to the left and you just see this white, snow capped mountaintop and he goes, that's what God looks like. And I go, oh, hell yeah, and Ralphie's in the back and Ralphie goes, absolutely play it. And then the rain comes again and it stops and I'm like, there's God again. And Ralphie in the back goes, this show is And then it's pouring rain and Ralphie goes, hey, here comes God again. It was an Entiman's truck next to us, so every time we were looking at the mountain he was looking. He just looked to his laugh. We were like, there, goes, that's what God looks like. And he just turns and he sees a big donut on the side of a truck.
Speaker 2: He's like, this show is player. That's a great story.
Speaker 1: We almost died laughing, like we almost drove off the road.
Speaker 2: Not like the road. The travels sometimes is the best part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when you were caught, you had a team, like I'm always a lower your team right there. But that was driving to a Phoenix gig like flying through like butt fuck Iowa to do Uncle Sputchey's chuckle hut by yourself. It's not I mean, I mean, he can joke around with the guy next to you, but eventually he's gonna think you're.
Speaker 2: Coming on to him. It's not fun anymore. The same could be said when going to Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Buffalo is a tough hustle people that grow up there, they're a different breathe.
Speaker 2: They love it though, I know they do, and you.
Speaker 1: Know what they are some of the coolest people are the greatest people, they really are.
Speaker 2: Will you meet people from Buffalo though, sitting like some Bill's mafia ship to you, but then they like then they want to drink a beer with you, full respecting, like crazy. That's what I couldn't. I couldn't live there. Fucking Gronk is from Buffalo.
Speaker 1: It makes sense they wind up at Arizona.
Speaker 2: There's girls, girls parties. Cronks from Buffalo got me dude. We'll be right back after this quick break. Who is the best comic to be on the road with Burt Kleiser? We love Burt. Bert was amazing.
Speaker 1: BUR's funny because Bert opened for me. All my openers are now like doing arenas and I'm here, hey, Burt was here, was here.
Speaker 2: To supplement the arenas. No like Burt.
Speaker 1: Burt Kreischer was fun because he was up and coming and he was just He's the best storyteller I've ever been around, and he's very infectious when he tells a story passion. I remember one day we were in San Jose and we did radio, and I'd bring my openers with me to do radio so they'd get the experience, you know. And then we eat at like this this local greasy spoon place. And Bert he can, first of all one of the most naturally strong like benches three jack three third yes, and he orders a burger with an egg and hal appanios and onions and fucking sauce, and then the other the dookie sauce and the thing and there's another thing in bacon, and he just crushes it. So then we go back to the hotel, we take naps, and we have this thing. Let's let's let's meet back and we'll lay by the pool in the afternoon. So the comedy club sent a fruit plate to my room and we're sitting by the pool and Bert's eating grapes, and then Bert goes the grapes give you guys.
Speaker 2: Guess no, they don't.
Speaker 1: That's but that garbage plate. That fucking garbage pale kid you aborted this morning. You ain't an aboord a garbage pel kid.
Speaker 2: I remember this bird's a good time. He is.
Speaker 1: He's a he's a very fun guy. Him and Tom Sagora. I used to say, Okay, here's the deal. I'm gonna I'm gonna play a song. You know they always go, like, you have your song, you come on stage two. I said, I'm not going to tell you what the song is, but you have to do your first joke has to be about whatever song.
Speaker 2: That's fun I bring you up to. That's fun.
Speaker 1: They were both games. All you want in comedy is guys that are willing to play a lot.
Speaker 2: That's like that's like some uh pre that's like some like bounty ship right there or something allegedly. Allegedly, poor Jonathan Filma, that's.
Speaker 1: Your fucking job to kill the quarterback now because I made fifty bucks, you gotta suspend me. Yeah, exactly. If I was commissioner, that wouldn't happen. No, I would have doubled the ante. I mean to say, uh. And I remember once we were at the San Jose improv and Bert came up to Girl from Epanima by Lou Rawls, Tall and Tan, and he goes, he just comes down and state, he goes, that song's about a whore, she's a fucking like He went nuts and it was like six minutes straight, and I was like, I felt like Obi wan kenobi when Luke Skywalker finally tags the target.
Speaker 2: That's what other kind of stuff did you guys do? Mostly like just gay stuff. Mostly yeah, nice gay humor.
Speaker 1: Gay humor, A lot of tapping each other in the nuts, that's guys stuff. Guys will tap each other's balls all the time. You never see like two ladies at a barbecue like him. Michelle, Yeah, we're like.
Speaker 2: God, he got me in my flat a bloom slap, like a flick of the nip flip nip flicks. Yeah, Like that's like the guys little boys do, like they sit and like try to flip each other's dicks.
Speaker 1: Because all you gotta get it once and then the rest of your lives together.
Speaker 2: You just you could be literally in the has to bele A church.
Speaker 1: You go and the guy goes like this, yeah every time, and you got him for Lynch, you got him for life Ney Flinch. But you're always on the road, usually alone, so it's not like that goofy. Usually it's like this sad Radiohead video where you're just sitting in a hotel room listening to the air conditioning debating whether or not to go to a Rubin tug or something. That's reality. That's that's what you're in Fort Wayne, Indiana. So is that really the dice you want to roll?
Speaker 2: It could be a sting operation in that area. Well, you don't know anything about that, don't know. I don't stand up now to win it where it was. What's your thoughts on the stand up these days? I think it's.
Speaker 1: Gotten to cottage industry. It's too much like you know, if I'm an Indian comic, I can go play to Indians. If I'm gay, I can do gay rooms. If I'm trans, I can find my trans audience. When I was coming up, it was they would literally stop the music at a disco, hand you a cordless mike and you had to walk out onto the dance floor between and do twenty minutes of comedy.
Speaker 2: And they were like what the fuck, and like, you can never be great if you can dictate the terms of your journey. So it's very capful. Wow, that's good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put that on a T shirt. Don't dictate the terms of your journey. Like, sometimes there has to be struggle. You had struggle, I had struggle. I've done I've literally done bar I did a bar Mitzvah like five years ago.
Speaker 2: I four years ago. It was my first paid gig after rehab.
Speaker 1: Some mother and son emailed my agent shout out to Matt frost Frosty the show Man. He goes, Yeah, the kid and the mom just love your stand up. I was like, buddy, I haven't done stand up in six months. You know, I've kind of been busy getting my life together. I flew to It was outside of Cleveland. It was like the sixteen acre property and there was like bands, this kid had money Cleveland. You like it Cleveland, Yeah, you could say it. I won't, and they I'm circumcised. I'm in the tribe.
Speaker 2: We'll take it. I did it twice because I meant it. Eighteen million. Your son's Jewish, Yeah, Jewish, you got a Jewish son? Both you said one. I'd a puzzle.
Speaker 1: And I had to go up this kid's uh And it's just kids with yamaka's running around and ninety year old people and then some band that you and I don't know, but the kids know go up like some shit band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're like here it comes J Moore and there's thirteen year olds.
Speaker 1: Then there's a gap side the width of this room, ninety year olds, nothing, no age in between, and it.
Speaker 2: Was all right, not what I'm you like, they've never.
Speaker 1: Seen me before. So they're having a good time because I'm requested. But in my mind, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yy, what was the joke that hit? I honestly don't. I wish I what was one that you're like? They didn't like that one? I don't. I wish I could.
Speaker 1: I remember I said, uh, I said, you guys are uh you guys like I know you don't want to be watching me. You're thirteen year old, bonered up. Let me tell you something. You gotta get out there and have sex. You know what happened to me when I was your age. I had sex with a girl that was Native American, and every time we would fuck, it would rain.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: The kids love that one. And then I heard the grandparents saying, when you're dropping a fuck? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I looked out at one old d his hole like this, so I said, I as over there. I had sex with a girl that stuttered, and I don't know if she was gonna have an orgasm or she was just trying to tell me something.
Speaker 2: She was like, fu fuck.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh say it. She's like phone, your phone's ringing. So like I was doing well with the kids because it was dirty.
Speaker 2: Kids, will you drop a fuck? They start laughing.
Speaker 1: The ninety year olds are like, what's an orgasm? What is this pleasure he speaks of?
Speaker 2: No, Well, what's your process into going and writing a bit? I'm not a good writer. I'm a great reporter.
Speaker 1: If something happens to me, I can't wait to go on stage and talk about what happened to me.
Speaker 2: So you're using inspiration from daily life to talk about.
Speaker 1: Like my son asking if his brother was Jewish. I'm like, oh, there's good there. I've just been writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not, but to sit down and write a joke is not a truthful process. And then I go on stage like, you know, I was in the mall las week and that's the kind of comedy I always hated. Like, you've been in the mall last week for four years?
Speaker 2: You suck? Like where? Like what about you? So when you think of something like when you brought up my son is Jewish, do you write that down or yeah? I'm like I bank it.
Speaker 1: I have index cards all over my house and I'll just write Jewish. But I have another joke that's Jewish, so I just write Jewish twice. The other one is if you have if you have a friend, then you're not sure whether or not Jewish.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: Because they will tell you they're Jewish all the time. What'd you do this weekend? Well, we went out on Michael's boat. I sat in the front.
Speaker 2: I'm a jew. You're like that.
Speaker 1: Doesn't even make sense, but they gotta tell you you worked it in early. Guy's a fucking punt returner. He's a Super Bowl MVP. He's gotta tell me he's Jewish. You'd be like, you know, I'm an MVP.
Speaker 2: Like work that in? You gotta you know there's only eighteen million of US bubs. How many Super Bowl MVPs are there? Only one? Wow?
Speaker 1: I worked in your contract a bonus MVP. No, you just got like a lof a local car contract or you don't. I had going to Disneyland.
Speaker 2: That you get that? Okay? That did you get that commercial? What's the super Bowl bonus payout? At that time, it was probably like if you won the super Bowl with all theccumulation of the other playoff games, it's like maybe a half a million bucks.
Speaker 1: That's a lot more than one hundred and eighty thousand from the ThunderCats or whatever fake team you're going to play for.
Speaker 2: Thundercons, BC, Lions, Lions. I'm an Aloe guy, me too. I'm a Toronto Argonauts guy. Arconatt sucked dude, the Jets of Canada. But when you think about it, though, going back to the pay it's actually we're getting bamboozled.
Speaker 1: You guys are for sure. Because Kyle Turley is a friend of mine, and he put this in my head earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like when when you're playing in the playoffs, Yeah, you're getting an additional like for that divisional round. But if you get the first round by you don't get paid for that week of work. You don't get uh so you're not making any extra even though you've been in the playoffs for two weeks. So you get the body's getting taxed at text and then so but if you think about it, that's thirty grand. What's say a guy making twenty million dollars a year, he gets a million dollars a game. So we're gonna play in a playoff game that's going to be extremely highly rated for I usually get a million dollars for thirty grand. When all the work's done in like the preparation and the practice, that's what you're really getting paid for.
Speaker 1: You know, it's amazing. That's what I got paid for. The boy metzwell, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: Thirty rects. Yeah, it's a good that's a good little pay day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I didn't have to take any hits exactly, just my pride.
Speaker 2: Some can say that was it.
Speaker 1: That's but and also like your guys' medicals completely fucked up, and they've put they've had it both with the owners have had it both ways. I don't know how comfortable you are talking about this in a public forum. But Kyle Turley was the guy early because he had a concussion, concussion and like, well we can't give you you know, it's don't you don't need full time medical. It's it's it's too dangerous to give you full time medical.
Speaker 2: Well then guarantee it's it's nuts the men playing it both ways, right, yeah, it is the I tell you right now. The retirement plans with like the annuities, the four O one k's and all that stuff. Unbelievable NFL given why he complained so much because the.
Speaker 1: Medicalish, Oh my god, anti semite over here.
Speaker 2: Full, it's full because a real schnor. Well, I'll tell you what he really is. That's the one thing. The one thing is the medical we do not like we're hunting in Tennessee. I'll take it around a while, going on a decade? Ye are we going on a decade and each other more? Oh my god, don't remind much. All right, let's jump into a segment where we go back in a time around where the game took place and go over pop culture. This game took place May fourteenth, nineteen ninety six. This is Gonna Be fun. Number one movie Twister, never saw it, loved it. Bill Paxton, Dorothy. I love Bill Paxton. He's a good guy. Dorothy was the little the It was the thing that they had to put in the tornadoes so they could read the data from Wizard of Oz. Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz Okay. Number one song Crossroads by Bone Thugs and Harmony. Used to literally wake up before school on MTV jams when you watch make a music videos, I'd wake up early because they'd have like a rap like six thirty to seven, uh, music video section, and they would play this one all time. I love this song. Were you a big yeo? MTV raps guy? That was a little before me?
Speaker 1: That was more It's funny, you're way younger than me. I'm fifty four thirty nine. Yeah, it was way after It was a little after me, a little before you.
Speaker 2: So like the Korean War for US, Yeah, Korean War, I was a little trl remember. Uh, what is with Carson Lewis West in Peace? Yeah? Carson Daily Mission Impossible Primal Fear, The Quest and Flipper were all what's the Quest? The Quest?
Speaker 4: It's a Van Dam was one of the older Van Damns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fuck yeah, I love Van Dam That I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that one though. This was about the time Jerry McGuire was going around, right, yeah, exactly Christmas time.
Speaker 1: It was Christmas And what people don't realize about Jerry maguire was it didn't It premiered at number three three that weekend it was Mars a Tax was one and Preachers Movie and.
Speaker 2: Preacher's Wife was two.
Speaker 1: And then the next weekend Preacher's Wife was one, mars at Tax was two, and then we I think week three it was finally number one, which is never happen. Usually you drop half your audience each weekend. That movie was insane, was pretty damn good. Sugarman, just Sugar changed my life. That was my first movie. That was your first movie. Explain it to us, how'd you get it? I auditioned to be the quarterback that Jerry O'Connell played, Cush Cush, yeah, and I just could not pull together a Southern accent that day. And then they said, well, you auditioned to be the mail nanny and I said sure. They said, well, the sides are in the hallway. Just memorize the best you can and come back. So the sides were three pages long, but the second page was all the guy says in the movie, like I want you to use this before his date with rene Zelwigger. You think he's gonna give him a condom, but he gives i'm a cassette tape and he goes, this is my I had that cassette. I owned that tape. So the page is him being really passionate. This is John Coltrane and Miles Davis, two masters of improv in their element with Canniballatterley and Philly Joe Jones on drums, and like, I knew all the guys because I studied the liner notes, so I memorized it in like a second. They probably thought I was like a savant and I came back in killed it. And then Jim Brooks said what about sugar? And I was like, Yo, there's no way I'm doing that from the hallway, Like, give me some time, and they gave me a week to memorize it. I didn't own a suit, I had hair like Brett Hart, the hit man from w W. I had pro wrestler hair.
Speaker 2: Did you cut it?
Speaker 1: I did not until I got the part, but I slicked it back as best I could. There's no I had no business getting that part, but I killed it. I killed it, killed it, and then I went in to read with Tom and he tried to kill me with it. How he knew all of his lines. He was completely off book. And it wasn't like, no, take your time, it's okay. It was like he was Jerry Maguire. He was getting fired and he was fucking pissed at me and wanted to rip my head off. And if I couldn't hang, I get like it's like going from the jugs gun to Tom, like, dude, run your fucking route, like this is this, this is this, And at that moment it was and and you know, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you get this in sports.
Speaker 1: It's like you're in like you're probably mid route going, oh, this is where guys flame out, this is where guys choke.
Speaker 2: No, you're thanks for playing along anyway.
Speaker 1: My next guest, please welcome Andrew Wiggins.
Speaker 2: He's Boston, so you get it. It cruises firing off, fucking Jermaine Wiggins. Yeah, here's a guy, great game in the snow Game, hit likes four or five six catches.
Speaker 1: He's Boston, he is, He's Boston. Yeah, I'll tell you. Uh so Yeah. And then I just I did good with Tom. And there was a moment where, you know, I say, I came here to fire you when he goes, and then there's a pause and I have the next line, and I go, it's real, you should say something. So I just kept staring them down and I let that pause grow and I realized, oh, they're going to think I forgot my line, so I kind of I kind of have all the power, so I just got to measure measure when before somebody says the line from the sides and I could feel the tension like a balloon going up, and I went, it's real, and I just felt everybody going, oh my god, like he fucking like I tricked them.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I got it.
Speaker 1: I know I got it, but in all fairness, I feel that after almost every audition and you get like one percent of them, and I was like, I killed that shit.
Speaker 2: They're like, well they went with your aunt Ruth or something. Do you say, aunt or aunt. I say aunt, Yeah, me too, I'm a aunt guy when when you get the role. But he asked you when you get the role, I'm an aunt guy. Oh that are you trying to do? The commute? The timing shit too? Now you two over there gallery He brings in the story of him. Does this cut into my time? This is cutting? It called yes ending, you know, just keeping it in the air the room. When you get that role, How did your life change? Well, it didn't change the way I thought.
Speaker 1: I thought, like, you know, the movie premieres and then when I walk down the street, everyone's gonna get out of my way. Yeah, but the amount of people that actually go to see a movie is not an actual You can't even compute it with the human race. It's so small. But then when it came then I forget about it. And then it came out on DVD. I went back to Manhattan, and I remember coming out of the subway and.
Speaker 2: People going bop.
Speaker 1: Sugar showed me the money and I was like, oh, way more people watch DVDs than actually go to the movies. I remember seeing. I remember seeing the movie in Times Square. It's always fun to like watch your own movie in the theater and just see people's reactions. So as me and Matt frost again, my agent, Frosty the show Man, I love you, buddy. He We're sitting in the theater. There's a gay couple in front of us and four black guys behind us, and Eric Stultz and Cameron crowe have this deal that Eric Stultz will be a cameo in every Cameron Crow movie in perpetuity.
Speaker 2: It's just their thing.
Speaker 1: So at Jerry McGuire's bachelor party, Eric Stultz does the toast and the one gay guy in front of us looks at his lover husband goes, is that Eric Staltz and the guy the guy goes like this, No.
Speaker 2: Like they've been arguing about Eric staltzell day, but it was it was Eric salt He goes to Derek Staltz.
Speaker 1: He goes, no, like, I'm so tired of talking about Eric Staltz.
Speaker 2: So they must have known Aeron Stolts. I don't know what the fuck was going on.
Speaker 1: But then there's like a half hour where I'm not in the movie, and then when they come back on screen from behind us, here, oh, here comes this motherfucker Guy Smiley again. Guy smiling guy, smile, here comes this motherfucker again. Oh shit, how long did it take to do that? I think it opened tantier watch it through two months. It opened the door. When I went to other auditions, it was, oh, that's the guy from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you have a little more currency.
Speaker 1: And when your audition or when you're if you get offered like I got offered Go, there's other movies you kind of get offered because they're they're like, okay, we got that guy, and you realize, oh, I'm a part of this process of making a movie, like my name has some some value where if I'm attached a little money, you know, it's it's you know, the movie can get made if you know.
Speaker 2: I've never been the guy like J Moore, Like, let's make the movie. It's J Moore. I've never been that guy.
Speaker 1: But you know, for the lower budget like Go and Suicide Kings was it was a big one.
Speaker 2: Now, how was that set? So I just I just did a movie, my first movie as well, and I and I was really nervous getting into it. And but then when I was on the set with the other actors and the director, I felt a comfort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how was that set was the set like oh yeah, well, I mean Cameron Crowe is like the nicest grant.
Speaker 2: He's young.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying grandfather like he's old, but like that fatherly like everything's fine, We're going fishing, relax. I'll have him on my dinner. It's okay.
Speaker 2: He was that guy and he would let you add lib.
Speaker 1: He'd say, do it as written, and then we're gonna have fun, like third or fourth take, we're gonna have a good time. And I'm like okay. And Tom Cruise was just the coolest guy in the world, like he's the best.
Speaker 2: And I didn't realize this.
Speaker 1: Jerry O'Connell was just on my podcast and he goes, you don't remember this. At rehearsal, We're at the Sony lot and Tom Cruise had his own chef and You're like, what's going on here? And apparently I went up to Tom like, what's going on, mister, Oh fancy pants? We got eat Panda expressing and Tom Cruise a chef from that day forward, always made Tom and me lunch.
Speaker 2: But I have no memory of this.
Speaker 1: But Jerry's like, no, you blew my mind. And you would go in his trailer and get like exercise equipment. I'm like, no, I remember going into his trailer to get a jump rope, but I did ask permission to go. He goes, No, you went in there all the time. I'm like, Jerry, I'm not crazy, but I do know Nicole Kidman was in there too, so I'm not stupid either.
Speaker 2: Hey, now old Kidman the he's a thunder Kidman. Whoo, she's a beauty sugar packets no pun intending none. Yeah. So it was a good set.
Speaker 1: It was a fun set and it was very There was work to be done, but there was a lot of money to shoot.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like an independent where you shoot like fifteen pages in a day. We gotta go, we gotta go.
Speaker 1: It was we had the luxury of Sony, the machine of Sony behind us.
Speaker 2: Did you when you're around Tom Cruise and you said he knew his lines when you were auditioning, did you see a sense of professionalism that you're like, holy fuck, that's why he's Tom Cruise. Yes?
Speaker 1: If he he was so nice to each person and knew everyone's names, like when I came in and said hi to everybody, Like that's kind of him, Like what I learned from him, and I remember once we were in a van going a set and the wardrobe lady looks at me and goes, you know, you can hang up your clothes at the end of the day. And I was a dick. I go, I don't work in wardrobe. And then they closed the van door and Tom's in the front seat. He turns around and he goes, you know, these girls, they bust their ass. They're here way before we are. And I was like, so like ever since then, my shit's on a hangar, socks folded up, putting the shoes like He's right, And you realize acting is just a department.
Speaker 2: Like there's this.
Speaker 1: Massive it's like the Death Star and there's all these departments, Like, just be the least of everyone's problems.
Speaker 2: In your department. Everyone's part of the team. Everyone's part of the team, everyone's got a roll.
Speaker 1: Tom was a really great guy, and I'm very lucky that was my first movie because I learned how to act on a set from watching him be But I'm a comedian, like I break balls a lot, and I can get out of hand back in the day, for sure, not anymore, but being like a nice guy was like, yeah, I want to be like.
Speaker 2: That, like he was cool man. Yeah, there's so Like I always like asking those questions about those certain types of people because people think that, like people like Tom Cruise or Tom Brady, they luck into this ship. Now these people fucking work for this ship. They're they're they're they're at this spot for a reason.
Speaker 1: If Tom Cruise pumped gas in mine, not North Dakota, he would have still been become Tom Cruise. You cannot cap whatever that thing he has. No, it's you cannot deny it. It's an irresistible force and immovable. It's it's a super nova of of whoa they would have found them.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's good for people to know that ship. You know, dreams without actions are just fucking dreams. Put that on a goddamn T shirt. That's what Frank used to tell me. My dad, Uh, my dad.
Speaker 1: My dad used to race cars in the same like local tracks that Tom Cruise, and my dad goes, Hey, why do you ask your buddy Tom Cruise what what gear is he in in Watkins Glenn Raceway Because he's the only guy that ever crashes into the bales of hey on turn.
Speaker 2: One and I'm like, all right.
Speaker 1: So we're on set at Sony and I asked Tom, and Tom's like, you know, I think I was in first gear.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, all right.
Speaker 1: Six weeks go by, we're filming at sun Double Stadium in Tempe. I'm standing this three in the morning. I'm throwing a football with the guy that plays my quarterback. And Tom Cruise comes running out of the tunnel. And then there's very few guys that run like Tom Cruise's. He's him and Lee, Him and Leo DiCaprio are the two greatest film runners of all time.
Speaker 2: And he's just running right at me.
Speaker 1: He's like jj jj, I go, what hey, what's going on? I catch, I go what's going on? He goes, what gear was your dad?
Speaker 3: In?
Speaker 1: Six weeks later, like that's the level of awesomeness you're talking about, Like he was in his trailer and went I never asked him.
Speaker 2: I never asked him to the fall And.
Speaker 1: He ran off to the set and asked me that in front of ten thousand extra You know what, I told him.
Speaker 2: Get away from me, Tom, don't bother me. Oh my god, fucking extraordinary people are extraordinary. No, I'm not putting that on a T shirt. That was whack. That was when I try.
Speaker 1: I tried.
Speaker 2: In this years, we're the Chicago Bulls. MVP Michael Jordan, what a shock, What a shocker. Mario Lemieux. You guys are the Bulls.
Speaker 1: It's like, you could be as great as you want, but you gotta go against the Patriots and they're gonna take your heart and soul unless your name is Eli Manning and the only guy that.
Speaker 2: Cracked the code twice. Worst call ever Joe Buck in that Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Manning still on his feet throws, Tyree caught.
Speaker 2: Thanks Joe, It's the greatest catch in Super Bowl history.
Speaker 1: Manning still on his feet throws, Tyree caught.
Speaker 2: Was it like that? Yes, I don't remember it. He did a good job with your catch. That was a good call. But here, that's incredible. He did an incredible Oh. Buck, were you in New York in the nineties? Yeah? How was New York in the mid nineties?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 1: It was good because it got kind of safe. It wasn't like that seventies cerproco like yikes, but it was still a little it was a little edge, a little edge, and I was like lower East Side, which was yikes. But then by this time, this is after Saturday Night Live, so I had like a building with a doorman and it was it was good living. It was good living. This was a good time to be in New York. Great time for stand up. This was like still a big boon. Everybody was getting specials, everybody was getting work, and there was so many different ways to make it in stand up. You could be a guy on the road making two hundred thousand a year. You could do commercials, you can get a sitcom, you can work at MTV.
Speaker 2: MTV was popping. Yeah, yeah, that's where a lot of comics were going. Yeah, probably the cool comics because they would do all like the movie shit who poly Shore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a sweet guy start. I'm so jealous of him when I was at like around this time.
Speaker 2: Look what the fuck two million for Encino. Man, I'm out here breaking my back in this acting game. This guy stinks.
Speaker 1: And then it's like, like PAULI is the best.
Speaker 2: It just shows you what an asshole I could have been.
Speaker 1: Hey, manager used to always ask me one important question, would you trade places with him?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: There you go, Jackie. Let's jump into we get into these managers, get fucking lineup, guys.
Speaker 1: My hundred and forty rbies, I'm seeing thirty eight RB eyes one hundred and twenty three RB eyes one hundred and three RBI.
Speaker 4: Is a ride Jay bunor King Griffy Jr. Yeah, the big unit Randy.
Speaker 2: Johns was gonna just take his job. No, whatever you want helping me out. I love it. I mean this was look at your team, Look.
Speaker 1: At how this is why you don't win a World series. Like in football, you gotta have the quarterback, best picture on the team, Sterling Hitchcock five e R.
Speaker 2: That ain't gonna do it now.
Speaker 4: I mean that was kind of the story of this team led the NLB in runs, RBIs doubles, but league wars d r A five points. Randy Johnson, that's gonna get you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had that bulging disc in his back this year, tough. That's when the unit was fucking. Chris Bosio he was before he was killing doves.
Speaker 1: Man, Oh my, I can't believe he's a lineup. Chris Bosio was like a junk baller or a thumber. They'd call him Bozio.
Speaker 2: David Ortiz went to Minnesota. They had David was a young David.
Speaker 4: Back then he was named David aria is how he was credited really to Minneso. Yes, they didn't quite know the the Dominican naming conventions, I think, and they they had him labeled as David.
Speaker 2: Arina, hard hitting Mark Whitten off the back. What I mean? This this is fun bas.
Speaker 1: This you know who was like this was the Indians had this kind of set up to where there was just bats for days and then the pictures were like, man that was.
Speaker 2: Was that the Tomade Cleveland days?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Manny, and they the best in field I ever saw in my life with Robbie A. Lamar and Omar Visco.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this quick break. Did King Griffy Junior have the coolest looking swing? There's no better swing. I would always I was always because I was I'll die on this hill. I was always a kid that would argue it for what we got. Barry Bond, I loved berries. I know you're a compact. That thing was fun.
Speaker 1: Dressed was deadly, it was, but he didn't dressed like a fucking stormtrooper, like your asshole.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: He went out there like a man with a batting helmet backwards into the cat backwards in the against r.
Speaker 2: J some some would say that someone who is a pioneer, look at everyone, Now everyone's a stormtrooper.
Speaker 1: Now, how about the owner of Seattle, Hiroshi mouch Was that the Atari guy he was ninto? That's pretty cool. Oh my god, I didn't know. Lee Ilia was one of the coaches of the Mariners. The greatest meltdown of all time.
Speaker 2: I never I don't know that one.
Speaker 1: You might want to pull it up now you it'll be worth it.
Speaker 2: Lee Ilia. He got fired the next day. Is that the one where he did in the miners.
Speaker 1: No, he was managing the cubs and he goes, these people come out here and fucking boo my fucking ass, tell them to get fucking jobs. It's a playground for those country cocksuckers. I got guys busting their ass and these motherfuckers boo my fucking ass. He did that right interview right afterwards, got fired the next day today to be promoted.
Speaker 2: Wait, there's no video, but the audio, that's all. That's all you need.
Speaker 3: Just to stuff it up them three thousand people that show up every fucking day, because if they're the real Chicago fucking fans, they can kiss my fucking ass right downtown and punt it.
Speaker 5: They're really really behind you around here, my fucking ass, Am.
Speaker 3: I supposed to do go out there and let my fucking players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it for the fucking nickel dime people to show up.
Speaker 5: The motherfuckers don't even work. That's why they're out at the fucking game. They only go out and get a fucking job and find out what it's like to go out there in a fucking living. Eighty five percent of the fucking world's working. The other fifteen come out here the fucking playground for the cocksuckers. Rip them, motherfuckers, Rip them cocksuckers, like the fucking.
Speaker 2: Players, Oh my god, best god.
Speaker 5: Guys fussing their fucking ass and not fucking people too.
Speaker 3: And that's the cut, my ass.
Speaker 2: That is. He's coaching baseball, by the way, just still. But at the end of that runt, he says something that's incredible. He goes, there's one hundred and forty fucking games left.
Speaker 1: He's right, like, bro, we're twenty two games in.
Speaker 2: Relax, Oh my god, it's such a fucking forty fucking games. Like I just got PTSD from COUD, you know, just from hearing one hundred and forty. Like baseball, I remember playing like fifty games in the summer, like doubleheaders as a like fourteen year old. We're so you have to have such crazy competitive stamina to play baseball. Basketball I think is worse, like best same, but you got to get up for that.
Speaker 1: Basketball started at Halloween and we're still going it's fucking late June, I know.
Speaker 2: But basketball, like you're at least moving. Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. Like the competitive standin that is to pay. I get that. Like I imagine getting up when when you're like your teams fucking I got that eighty and whatever and you got.
Speaker 1: Sitting on a bench for three hours because it's your day.
Speaker 2: Off, fucking lighting each other on fire and the dugout. Yeah, fucking doing the stupidest shit. It's crazy that I have such respect for their competitive series. The team. Bernie Williams amazing.
Speaker 1: Bernie Williams is as good as you can be without getting into the Hall of Fame. That's that's the high watermark for.
Speaker 2: No Hall of Fame. Ernie Williams is good.
Speaker 1: He was in great, he was perfect. He's the perfect player. He's got pop. He steals bases three h five, ave unbelieved. I don't have time to say average. I'm a busy man.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of sneaky great home runs. Didn't he have like a couple of game winners? Yeah, Twitch, just like you big time? Where did Jeter get ten bombs from? That's the weird part.
Speaker 1: Look at fucking Pettitt twenty one and eight, crafty lefty?
Speaker 2: Who else was clements on this?
Speaker 4: You said, but I mean still a heck of a roster we're looking at here?
Speaker 2: I mean no.
Speaker 1: Mare Garcia Para told me a story when Larretz was on the Red Sox.
Speaker 2: You're like, how come Larretz can't stick with the team.
Speaker 1: He goes, well, we were playing in Anaheim, and uh, Grady Little took him out because they were bringing in Troy Percival and Jim Larretz instead of coming out of the game.
Speaker 2: I'm still in the on deck circle and goes.
Speaker 1: Ever heard of Mark fucking Wallers yelled at his manager from the on deck circle. It's like, so, maybe that's why he didn't stick with a team.
Speaker 2: He was kind of a jerk. They just get the Graham Lloyd Danvers.
Speaker 1: Graham Lloyd is a lefty submarine picture from Australia. OHI you think he probably a little bit of that cricket might. I can't stand the way those people talk. Learn to speak English. If you're gonna come to my country. Everything nice sounds like a question. Everything's either over there? I roll, But he that's a good accent when you stick your fights in the clowns vagina.
Speaker 2: You like, what did that guy just say to me? Is there a lot of Australian pictures?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: A couple is that? Do they play cricket? Don't they play cricket out there? Because it's an English country? Yeah, I guess I don't know Australia. I think their sport is drinking that in rugby fighting Australia for it's not even really Australian. I heard. Really it's like a hoggin daw situation. Yeah, fucking hogends.
Speaker 4: But uh, this was we mentioned it earlier. This was Joe Tory's first season as manager, took over for books show Walter and I mean big time turnaround here for the Yankees about to start the dynasty. If you remember, like I mean, the mail was ninety plus games in nineteen ninety so big turnaround. Don Maddenley retired the year before Tino Martinez came in, had big shoes to fill there, but you know, became a Yankee legend from Seattle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from Seattle legend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just see at this time in my life, I was on the West Coast and we everyone just hated the Yankees because they always like this is when I started really remembering sports kind of ninety six, and we didn't really get to watch them because they were on so early. And then you just started seeing them after this, just start winning championship after championship or World Series after World Series. This is like, what is this air to you?
Speaker 1: I'm so happy just reading these names. I'm I'm this was like some of the best times in my life. I just love this team so much. I remember going to a spring training game.
Speaker 2: I was on the road.
Speaker 1: We were in Tampa, and every guy comes out of the dugout and you're like, hey, Gina, Hey Gita.
Speaker 2: Because he was a kid. I think it was a rookie, the rookie. This was rookie year, pre gift baskets, rookie.
Speaker 1: First Yankee to hit three thousand hits ever ever, because they all fought in wars before the Demaggio mantle.
Speaker 2: We're like, hey, gita, hejita, Hey fucking dono doino.
Speaker 1: And I remember Bernie Williams comes out of the dugout and it was like it's like when you see a deer in the woods.
Speaker 2: You're like it was. He was like this magical. It's like all this, don't heckle Bernie.
Speaker 1: He's like the cat, like the unwritten rule, like, don't Bernie's different, leave him alone. Yeah, Paul O'Neill was a red ass. I remember I was sitting at a Yankee game and he's kept. He struck out twice, and there was old ladies in the very I'm in, like the fifth row and the very first row, five like blue hair old ladies, and they had Paul O'Neill shirts. Paul O'Neil hats Paul O'Neill signs and he strikes out and he goes to the outfield over he's jogging back in and the one lady goes, we still love you, Paul. He goes, well, that doesn't fucking help me, does it. I'm like, wow, this guy. I guess there's one on every team. Who was that guy in the Patriots who's the red ass?
Speaker 2: Probably me? Yeah, he think so. I was very serious when it came to football time. Yeah. I didn't engage with the other team before the game. I didn't talk to fans or anything before a game. We were there for a fucking job. Why oh led league?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 1: Andy Peennittt wasn't even in the running for Cy Young but he led the league and wins.
Speaker 2: That's insane. This was This was when Marianna River what even the closer? He was a setup guy.
Speaker 1: This year, John Wetland was the closer and Mariano pitched the eighth inning. John John Wetland he was kind of a red ass too. He would rollerblade around Yankee Stadium pregame. So no, mar was like a good friend of mine. So you go to the game super early to see nomar and.
Speaker 2: Be like, get out of the fucking way. As he was coming, he'd be like, you know, had his warm up rollerblade. Yeah, he would just get his legs fired up. He went Worldschairs MVP. This this game this year, is there is there like a annoying, arrogant like celebrity Yankees group chat of course there is.
Speaker 1: There's an anno, there's a there's an annoying Jets group chat, and I was this is why I don't engage online anymore. I was on jets insider dot com free plug your pricks. I made the mistake of going on as myself ego ego like my I'll have some.
Speaker 2: Thrower, I'll have some waiter, and it's Jaymore. I'm you know, I'm with the people.
Speaker 1: And I argued with this guy on this message board for a year and a half, two years, Jules.
Speaker 2: It got personal, and.
Speaker 1: His his avatar, his photo was of Jimmy Page just playing guitar, and I'm like, he's like, fuck you, you suck, You're a bum.
Speaker 2: You're no good account.
Speaker 1: And me and this guy went back and no discussion could have gotten inside every single online discussion. Guy sidetracked at us fighting. And then one day he changed his photo to his prom photo. I was arguing with a sixteen year old he was sixteen. Yeah, it was his actual prom photo.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I thought he was like a throwba. Now he was just some fucking kiddy.
Speaker 1: And you know what I'll tell you straight up, he won, Yeah, he he you win, buddy.
Speaker 2: Respect Meglomaniac. That was I remember his name. He's still in my fucking head.
Speaker 1: Rent free Meglomaniac from Jet's Insider dot com.
Speaker 2: You got me next question? You know what? It reminds me of when I got into a heated argument with a nine year old in Fortnite? Was it my son? Could have been? My son plays Fortnite with uh pooka Nakua. Yeah, Pook's a gamer. You see Pook at a Lakers game, He's like, yeah, give me, give me your Are you on Instagram? My okay?
Speaker 1: My youngest son, Mackie on TikTok and on Instagram. Mackie is the goat, but he misspelled goat, So my son is Mackie is the gayot.
Speaker 2: Is how did he spell it? G aot? Goat probably was taken. You're giving him way too much credit. I mean, he doesn't try to get a handle these days, Jules.
Speaker 1: He doesn't dry his feet. Did I mention that he's a young boss? I go, bro, you put gayot and he goes.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get his back.
Speaker 5: Dog.
Speaker 1: He's one of the coolest ched you'll ever meet in your life. I've started book. He said to me, you should get Dave Blunts on your podcast. He's this rapper, he's like six hundred pounds and he's like that streamer type famous. I have no idea that's huge, and I reach out. The guy reaches back to me, like, okay, let's do the podcast. My son thinks I'm a god because this guy reached back to me, and I can't believe he talked to you. I'm like, you know, your dad's been a g for a while. So then I'll just now I got an interviewed. It's today four thirty.
Speaker 2: I got it. I'm like, now I got to learn it all.
Speaker 1: So like, for the last three days, I've just been listening to streaming hip hop.
Speaker 2: Can't put down the cup. Can't put it down the cup. I love pro meth lausine. Can't put down the cup.
Speaker 1: Just got out the hospital fighting for my life. I'm all about Dave Blunt's son. He had to cancel his tour. He had cardiac caracity. He goes on stage with oxygen on his face. Did you he's a big boy?
Speaker 2: Did you do you watch? Have you been watching Twitch for this?
Speaker 1: I just hit YouTube. I'm still old, but I did my homework.
Speaker 2: Dude, Twitch is actually as stupid as it sounds. Well, it's you're watching people play video games. Oh my son's was that all the time. As dumb as it sounds, it's pretty fucking entertaining. Can you can you talk shit to him? Yeah? They can type to you, and he can interact with people watching him. But all you're doing is watching his screen him play video games while he's commentating, and there's like a picture of him as well. It is like the craziest concept to think why this would ever success. It works, though, but it's I watched his doctor disrespect guy. He's fucking a.
Speaker 1: Doctor disrespect Steve Howe suspended seven times for cocaine. Hey doesn't make him a bad person, doesn't make him a bad person. Rick I believe Ricky Bonaz came from Seattle to boy on a lot of boys with We met at the All Star Game at Jacob's Field when they opened Jacob's Field, and he was a rookie and nobody knew who he was, and me and Frosty were like, whoa, no Mar.
Speaker 2: So he just was appreciative.
Speaker 1: I think that somebody was talking to him and his dad ramone No Mar's ramone backwards and we just hung out all weekend and became boys.
Speaker 2: And then we saw him. Then he became no mar the guy. But you're a Yankees guy. Yeah it matter.
Speaker 1: I remember once we went to the Yankee Stadium to watch him play Red Sox Yankees, and then we waited for him. We took a town car back to his hotel and then I believe it was Park Avenue. One in the morning, we were playing catch on the street, like, not on the sidewalk, we were on the yellow because there was no cars.
Speaker 2: It was like a Wednesday night, just like from.
Speaker 1: Like twenty third Street to twenty fourth Street, just throwing bombs under the street lights.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is ridiculous. That's so cool. Yeah, he's he's a real dude. Man, he's a great, great guy. Now he's kids with me and him, right, yep? Are they gonna be like are they playing sports? I haven't talked to him in a while.
Speaker 1: His everyone's a while, his dad, mom or his sisters will reach out to me.
Speaker 2: But if I saw him, we'd be good legend. Bro, let's do a word association with guys. I'm gonna say a name.
Speaker 1: You give me a word, Oh, Pat Kelly By the way the second baseman. Yeah, waited outside, and I was a grown man, like in my twenties, wait outside Anaheim Stadium for for somebody to show up. And Pat Kelly rolls up for the Yankees Anaheim, and I go packet to get your autograph. He goes, you don't know who the fuck I am. I go Pat Kelly number fourteen. He goes, fine, you're valid, fucking punts. Fuck you, Pat Kelly.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start it out with Pat Kelly. Word association, Pat Kelly, grinder Way, bugs, chicken Man, Derek Jeter, greatest of all time, Doc Gooden, first word cocaine. But that's a pupped into my head. Mariano Rivera closer, Tino Martinez, Lefty, these are my answers are lame, So you don't want the first thing that pupps into my head. No, that's fine. I like these. Joe GILLARTI, Joe Girardi.
Speaker 1: Joe Girardi was like he was the manager on the field, and then he became the manager off the field too.
Speaker 2: Manager. Yeah man, Jorge Posada number twenty, What about the rocket?
Speaker 1: I just the whole thing with him, and Piazza turned me off to him like he's obviously headhunting and throwing bats at him, and shit, I'm like, this guy's a dick, like Mike's just like a good, fun loving guy.
Speaker 2: They had a press conference.
Speaker 1: First of all, I'm not gay, like that guy at a press conference to tell the United States of America he's not gay. Like that's that's a basically, I forgot about any of your bitches out there.
Speaker 2: I want to get down. Just let me get this out there. That's not original thirst trap get on. Yeah, the original went on TV.
Speaker 1: It was it was like Sports Center Julie Edelman just want everybody know I'm not gay, and there's work to be done.
Speaker 2: Job's not finished.
Speaker 1: The quote the great Kobe Bryant, Job's not done.
Speaker 2: Uh oh my god. Yeah. The whole thing with Rocket and Piazza turned me off. How was How was the old Yankee Stadium awesome compared to the new one?
Speaker 1: I've never been, I swore. Here's here's why I've only been to the new one. Here's why I don't root for the Yankees anymore. I remember being in the Yankee Stadium this era, and there was talk they were going to tear it down and build a new one next door, and I said, if they ever tear this this house that Ruth built where Mickey Mannle and Roger Morris batted back to back during Roger Morris's night home, come on, if they ever tear this down, I will never root for this team again. They tear Yankee Stadium down, go fuck yourselves. But then Don Manningly and Joe Torrey fly to LA and they coach the Dodgers. So I'm like, this works out great. They came right to my backyard.
Speaker 2: So he became Dodgers fan. Yeah, but it's Dodgers.
Speaker 1: I think it would take as much time for me living in LA to go to Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 2: It's Dodgers Stadium. Holy shit, yesterday, Oh my god. You know what you should be. You should be a Raiders fan. Who isn't? Because are you a Raiders fan? I mean?
Speaker 1: I love Al Davis. There's three kinds of people.
Speaker 2: I was told.
Speaker 1: There's people that played for the Silver and Black, people that used to play for the Silver and black, and people that wish they played for the Silver and Black. The greatest logo of all time, the Raiders. The guy's got an eyepatch on. But if you look the good eyes closed. Yeah, he's got his good eye closed.
Speaker 2: Do you wonder why they suck for so long? Well, you know that Al Davis when he was designing those teams, because he's from Brooklyn, he said he wanted to make those teams as if there was the Yankee and Dodgers combined, because he wanted the strength, the power, and the grandness of the Yankees and the athleticism and the style of the Brooklyn Dodgers. That was his main goal.
Speaker 1: And the closed lines of the longest yard and that too. You gotta love the Raiders, man, Remember going to Raider games at the Coliseum and it was a fucking hurt. I don't want to throw up fake gang signals and get punched out. It was an absolute player's ball. Dude, you took your life in your hands. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Played there, really, Yeah, I played my mom, wore my jersey there. Come on, Julie, Angie's brave, Angie's crazy. Could you hear her yelling from the stands? No, they put him in the nosebleeds when it's.
Speaker 1: Your I remember in wrestling in high school there was this kid, Arlen Cunningham is just a doey white kid that wrestled heavyweight and he got destroyed all the time, and then his mom came to every match, and then one day we're at the Nork Academy tournament in Nork, New Jersey, and he's got to wrestle the number one seed because he's like, oh and whatever. And the other kid was a Catulo brother who they all got scholarships to wrestle at Penn State and from the Bleachers year.
Speaker 2: Run for the Hells Orland, Run for the Health, Run for the Hills, Jackie break down this game. All right, let's get into this game. Leading up to it.
Speaker 4: Seattle comes into this thing twenty and eighteen, the Yankees twenty two and fourteen, coming off a series where they lost two out of three Chicago. We got to talk about Doc coming into this one. Entered this thing with a five point seventy r a one in three record, struggling a little out the gate here in New York. But you gotta realize he hadn't really pitched in like two years leading up to this. You got the strike shortened season in the ninety four, suspended in ninety five. Now with the Yankees first year.
Speaker 1: Really I forgot he was he was suspended for cocaine in ninety five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the failed drug tests.
Speaker 1: These guys love the way that shit smells.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those guys now. Gerald Williams Wow in for Bernie this game? Where were you sitting? First base line?
Speaker 1: First seats under the awning, so probably about twenty rows up first baseline?
Speaker 2: Who you with?
Speaker 1: My friend Milton Lage he used to direct out you right, He used to direct Club MTV Wow, And he directed me on MTV's Lip Service, the game lip Sync, game game show. You know the difference between Gerald Williams and Bernie Williams. Gerald Williams retired with a lot of potential. Bernie Williams never had it.
Speaker 2: Wise well said a.
Speaker 1: Lot of potential in that Gerald Williams'. So that's a terrible word for an athlete.
Speaker 2: YEP. Comic too. A lot of things, probably probably like everything, who would do you have a superstitu when you're at a game or when you're watching a game? No, hitter, No you have a jersey? Wear? Do you wear a jersey? What are you wearing? The game? Hat are you wearing? I mean it was the nineties.
Speaker 1: Probably some parachute pants and like a who farted? T shirt, which I have Opie and Anthony T shirt.
Speaker 2: I've never worn a New York Yankees hat, but I will argue that it is one of the most visually pleasing looking at Yes, and I hate the Dodgers, but I think that they have also a really cool hat. Was this in May? This was in May? May fourteenth? Yes, right though? Yeah, And we get.
Speaker 4: Them fireworks early in this one with Doc walking Darren Bragg to start the game. Then you got the long line out. A Rod lines out to center. Geraldins one of the best catches you'll ever see, throws his glove up over his head, snags that thing, throws it back into the infield for a double play, and we're out of the first That was a crazy play, insane sequence.
Speaker 2: It was like a Willie May's catch at a high point. And then you get that double play out of it. Insane and then we're rolling from there.
Speaker 4: You get to the sixth, the Yankees get two on or knocking two runs up to nothing. That would be that would be it for the scoring department in this game. How you have six walks, Yes, six walks. It was very imperfect.
Speaker 2: This was not a guy. You had a couple he had a guy on after that big hit in that first but he walked. It was scary. I mean, then you say Doc walks fun, That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Martinez had some had some deep shots to center that Williams was snacking in him.
Speaker 1: This is the most unlikely lineup to No. No, it's insane. I'm so happy just looking at his name.
Speaker 2: Wild one hundred and thirty four pitch pull on Io batting third was never a good idea, like what do we doing? And where's Jeter? Ninth?
Speaker 1: One thing about Joe Torri he didn't get locked in. He learned like Jeter, went to lead off pretty quickly. Wade Bogs.
Speaker 2: This is the kookiest fucking lineup. Wade Bogs batting leadoff. This is wild. The whole thing is just wild. What's a moment that sticks out to you with this game? Jay?
Speaker 1: I remember I remember a Rod coming up to hit late. I believe it was the ninth inning, the last nine, the last batters he faced was that part of the order, And I remember a Rod coming up to bat and it was very stressful. But then you go, well, wait a minute, if he gets a Rod out, he's got junior.
Speaker 2: And then if he gets Junior out, he's got Edgar.
Speaker 1: And then if he gets Edgar out, he's got fucking Jay Buner and Pulsa right like it was.
Speaker 2: It was like the craziest level of a video game ever. That is insane. Murderers row. It was crazy. I don't fucking rich Armor all get out of the box score you pinch Runner. You remember the final out.
Speaker 4: I don't pop up to your boys hit it one hundred feet in the air.
Speaker 2: Jeter had to pop out to shortstop. Incredible. How about there's a guy on third when he's celebrating, It's incredible. I mean there was always runners on. It was so weird.
Speaker 4: The last inning was like I like Cardiac Arrest City over here is like walks a ride. Then you get the ground out to first from Griffy where uh where Paul Yill was literally or Tina Martiez literally dives to first to touch to get him out.
Speaker 1: Remember Griffy had like a horrible It was like a very weird Griffy game, like it was just gobbage.
Speaker 2: It was very weird.
Speaker 4: And then you get then you get a wild pitch, so you got or another walking wild pitch, so you got runners on second and third one out.
Speaker 2: It's like and he threw like one hundred and forty pitches. Insane, that is, and they years old.
Speaker 1: It's like he does cocaine. He'll be all right, Hey, you want to cook that coke? You're going back out you want to warm Let me warm it up for you. Hey, Doc, I'm from Boston. Out Let me warm it up for you.
Speaker 3: Doc.
Speaker 1: You gotta go back out there, free basic Jim. I remember Jim Abbott's no hitter was on fourth of July. It was a first one since then nineteen ninety three. The fourth of July, a Rod won the Al Batting Crown, first shortstop to win in fifty six years New York Quick YANKI.
Speaker 4: Bow on that game to nothing, no hitter, seven hits for the Yankees, five strikeouts, six walks for Doc, the only no hitter of his career. He'd had a one hitter before this the Cubs back in the eighties. But I mean, just an all time legacy game.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. He never had no hitters with the Mets. He was people. Don't people sleep on Doc. He was a monster. We're watching the highlight to him. It was amazing. And when he was a mat he was, but then he had I think he.
Speaker 1: Was getting him and Strawberry kept writing each other out.
Speaker 6: Coke Strawberry. Strawberry was on this Yankees team too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crab. There's some guys that make the bat look like a whiffleball bat. Strawberry was one. It just looked like a toothpick in his hands. Gary Sheffield made it.
Speaker 2: Just looked like they were making sawdust.
Speaker 6: Just Sheffield may have the second best swing after Griffy, but he's a.
Speaker 2: Right, He's Righty.
Speaker 1: It's but it's so much effort. Any guy, you say, you see all the work involved. When Griffy is just literally like casting, like under the bushes, he's casting for like trying to get some bass on.
Speaker 2: His he does just looks smooth, smooth. Now, what's the legacy of this game?
Speaker 1: Jay, it's just the I think it's you never know when greatness is gonna happen.
Speaker 2: You know, I was watching Reverend T. D. Jakes.
Speaker 1: This gonna sound like I'm making a joke, but I'm not. And Godless he the.
Speaker 2: First Tdjake's reference.
Speaker 1: Tdjke's you know when David slayed Goliath in the Bible, he wasn't in a battle with the giants. He made lunch to bring it to the other guys and he got caught up in it spur of the moment, and then he just was like, oh shit, I don't have I'm not prepared for battle. And he got a slingshot in a rock and he killed Goliath. Uh So it's kind of like this is your David where he just showed up and he just it's it's very it's very patriot way, like do your fucking job, show up, prepare, do this, walk out there, do this, hit the cutoff man, and then you just never know when magic's gonna happen. And this was absolute magic. It was just a weak night. Yeah, it's fucking cold out first three innings, you're like, bro, it's freezing. Yeah, and then all of a sudden e and you're watching how many Hall of Famers total there were?
Speaker 2: I believe it was six? Let me do we'll check here.
Speaker 4: You got wade boxed Jim Rains there to your Marion, Joe Tory four uh sevenez ye total?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Now, I mean this is a perfect, little, perfect little day. Old Milton calls.
Speaker 1: You over, Milky Milton's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jay, let's go make lunch for the Giants. And then all of a sudden, you guys just take out the rock and fucking knock the Giants out. You go to the best baseball game, fucking New York Yankees of adisince nineteen ninety three. I mean, Jesus Christ. Yeah, sometimes just the Keita life is showing up rights you to go to the game. Go, let's grade the game. Let's see where it stands.
Speaker 1: You can't spell spiritual without ritual, gentlemen, I'm not working over there.
Speaker 2: Facts facts, It's kind of true.
Speaker 1: Through your laundry, fold the laundry, just through the things every day. That's what you want to get spiritual through your to your thanks.
Speaker 2: I need to be ritual.
Speaker 4: We got to talk nine two thousand and six World Series in eight year, like started the Yankees running.
Speaker 2: This is the start. This is probably time to be a Yankee fan. You know why Joe Torrey left.
Speaker 1: Why his contract was up and they put a bonus clause in that if he would get more money if he won the World Series, And he was so insulted that like you think I'm gonna manage differently, Like he wanted us like, I'm making the numbers up, but I'll go low, so you know I'm making it up. He wanted one he wanted two million. They offered him one million, and they're like, how about one million, and we'll give you two million if you win the World Series? And he was like, you think I'm gonna manage differently if there's an incentive to win the World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just couldn't come to terms with that. I wish I was as stern as Joe Tory in my contract.
Speaker 1: He did my sitcom Gary Unmarried, and then as you know, as himself, and then Jimmy Burrows, the director comes.
Speaker 2: He did every episode of everything. He goes, what do you do?
Speaker 1: He's got his arm around me, and he goes, what do you do if you got a real pain in the ass on your team? And Joe Tory goes, well, how bad do you need him? He goes, Oh, I need him. He goes, well, there you go. He goes, I had David Wells. I couldn't stand that fucking guy, but I needed him every third game in the World Series. I put Boomer out there and he'd handle his business. So I put up with it.
Speaker 2: I'm like yeah, speaking of no hitters, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Joe Torrey told me if David Wells and David Cohnes, no, how about three no hitters under Joe Tory. If David Wells and David Cohnes were on opposite days, neither both would have gotten litten up because Cone needed it hot for his ball to move, and Boomer was fat and a drunk.
Speaker 2: He couldn't have pitched in the heat.
Speaker 1: So like, if you flip flop their starts, they probably don't make it out of the fourth inning.
Speaker 2: Crazy. You want to hear the best Joe Tory thing he ever told me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to take David Cone off the mound in the World Series and he always wonder what they say out there, And when he gets out there, David Cohn goes, I feel good?
Speaker 2: He goes, then, what the fuck am I doing?
Speaker 1: Out Here's the greatest sports thing I've ever heard in my life?
Speaker 2: If what the fuck am I doing? I do you feel so good? Oh?
Speaker 1: Uh? The big thing was at the end of the game, we were guessing what the New York Post would say, because you could always count on the New York Post have like a cheeky pun and I'm like it's gonna say doctor. We all put like twenty bucks in a hat. There's two of Milton's friends were there too, and I guess doctor know, and I nailed it, and so I also won eighty bucks.
Speaker 2: Doctor doctor No.
Speaker 4: They don't miss, do they? The doctor No, Gay, the post doesn't miss. We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 2: Let's name the game. These are a group of names that we came up with. Jay A doctor's a doctor today keeps the hits away. A doctor today keeps the hits away. It's like a doctor doctor day, keeps reach the doc goodn't no hitter. It's doctor doctor No, doctor no, it's doctor doctor No.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I appreciate the hustle boys, I really do. I love the I wish I could have a staff to work like this.
Speaker 2: Let's score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's you know what goes against it?
Speaker 1: Steaks zero zero stak, it's fucking may zero to ten deals.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jake gives it a zero.
Speaker 4: Wow, that might be our first zero in a long time. I mean, it's a professional game.
Speaker 2: I gotta give it. I'll give it one. I'll give it a one. Point eight five point nine. I'm going high. I did a two point one. All right, star power. There's fucking stars galore in this ten ten to fuck, a lot of Hall of famers, a lot of Hall of famers.
Speaker 1: Your Patriot teams, which which you know I had front row seats too, didn't have you had Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: You're a g but bro, this is like, this is crazy. Yeah, geta gita. I'm gonna go eight point nine. Actually you're going nine. I gotta go nine. All right's fucking everyone everyone on this team, both teams.
Speaker 1: It's nine points keeping you from ten to nine point one because there's no.
Speaker 2: Perposon perfect maybe an All Star game gameplay of this game, you're out of ten. Gerald Williams. I was a smoke play at the very beginning a gameplay.
Speaker 1: I mean it's mid you know you got the one great catch, but you got six walks, you get six.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with like a seven to one, all right, put me up for seven to two seven one seven, No, no, keep me a six. I had a six point eight six point one. Doctor. No, we gotta score the name of the game. That's really the name. Can't beat the name, So score oh, ten ten, that's a great name. I'm gonna go. He was also forty. Yeah, I'm gonna go with the ninety nine nine nine, No nine, just not even nine. I had a seven to three. I had a five point one. It's a good name. Six point one one.
Speaker 6: It's our new ninety second game. It's just between twenty fourteen NLDS Game two Giants versus Nationals, and just ahead of two thousand and eight Week three preseason game Texans versus Cowboys.
Speaker 4: I mean, thanks for showing up, Ja, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Jay, if you think I mean, it probably got the same amount of ratings as that preseason game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I know you got all the New York our first no hitter and show history.
Speaker 2: That's our first.
Speaker 1: No, no, I can't believe it's behind Dolf Ziggler Kilber sixty point game.
Speaker 2: No, chill Gill. You know what.
Speaker 1: I've been a list fully in my whole life. I just have to accept this is great. I have such at the top is the top Falcon's pats.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Patriots, Patriots, Patriots.
Speaker 1: There's no bias here. Look at the Stanley Cups and the Miracle on isis fifth. Yeah, it's fucking high. It's fucked it's a great But that's a great, that's great game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should be higher. Who are you talking about? It's top five.
Speaker 6: We're about to hit our hundredth game, and we're going to reevaluate this list too, because there's some there's some big discrapm.
Speaker 2: Wheelchair game where he pooped his pants. He said he didn't technically didn't. He said, this is I had such a good time I was looking forward to this. This is awesome today. Man, let go, let's go.
Speaker 1: We did that with uh Jackson, Joe Jackson, how great wash Randy Moss.
Speaker 2: The roll of Randy was awesome. He thought you were a coach. No, he thought rich Ornberger was a coach. Okay, I didn't know who that is. So he was alive that Randy Muger drafted in the same time, got any Randy Moss gems for me. He's such a country bumpkin. Yeah. He It was funny. Every Saturday, it's Saturday, you get to uh it's travel day. So meetings started like you get to sleep in. Meeting started like eight thirty nine, and uh, we'd always come in and we'd have a team meeting for like thirty five minutes Bill Gover's last keys, and we'd break them to offense defense, have like a thirty minute offense defense, and then we'd have like twenty minutes individuals. So we're all broken up in receiver running back. This that Every Saturday, Randy would come in and he'd be sitting down. He has dude ragging, his headphones on and a hoodover, and he'd be into the meeting early and he'd sit there and he'd be explaining to one of the younger receivers, whoever it was. It could be me, it could be New, it could be Nuke, it could be one of the guys. He'd be sitting talking about the sixty minutes from the night before or not the sixty minutes of day line d first date line, dateline. He'd sit there, he'd be like, this motherfucker, now he could cut his dick off, and this bitch I said no. He'd be just explaining the story like that, and then our coach will walk in. He'd go on for a good it'd be like a twenty minute meet. He didn't go on for like twelve minutes. The coach it was his first year there, so Randy had more pool, so so he would like try to, hey, Randy, you think we could get into their dbs. Wait out, chatty, I got it. That's one more thing. So like every Saturday we heard what dateline was from that Friday, and it was just so it was. It was just a cool dude. Like he would bust my balls because I was a rookie. I played with him two years or one and a half years, and you know, he he wouldn't show me love in front of the boys, but when the boys weren't around. You know, I used to have to go get the food for a travel day, and like I was a seventh throwned guy, so I didn't make any money. He'd know, He's give me all the money and stuff because usually the rookie has to pay for it. He'd always look out. He'd look out when people weren't looking. But he you know, he kind of big bro it. He's in my goat discussion. Oh, he's definitely a top I'm with you there three two two top two him and Jerry. Who else is up there before you? Jay, Wayne Corvette. We just had Keithon Johnson on the show. It was fun. The Jets had like three years and we had real small, smurfy guy. It was Lavernius Cole Santana Moss went for beet So.
Speaker 1: Lavinius was the tallest at six foot, but they all blocked their dicks off.
Speaker 2: They were they were nasty. Charlie Weiss, Yeah, get him in there. You better get that fucking force. That safety's in there, go blow them up. Better get that four force? What force hit that gap? Got to hit the gap. Come on, block harder, guys. See that's they keep scoring. Right there. Is when I learned what a good coach was, because when I got to a good when I got to a team that had good coaches, I stopped hearing that you got a block harder. It was, hey, you drop your right foot, you put your right hand in his chest plate, you get your like It was explaining the technique instead of explaining for effort.
Speaker 1: So when you said Belichick had his final keys, yeah, did he give you things that were actually accessible and you could access mid game?
Speaker 2: He could give us like he would show like a forty play cut up of the team we're playing, of our play and maybe trends around the league that were going on at that time. Look fellas some guy you know, took his helmet off the week before, got a fifteen yard penalty. Look like we don't need this fucking shit. He would put the five penalties where guys got their helmet taken off and got a fifteen yard flag, Like if you got a problem, just get off the fucking field. Like that's how he would do. So, like you knew in a fighting citch, we can't touch a raft. You can't pull them off a pile. You can't pull your guy off the pile that's fifteen yards. Like it was a reminder cut up or like offense, Look, we're gonna we need to be inside out and he's showing a play of a Dominican sue or something where he's blowing up and they're not chipping them. We need to fucking you know, like little reminders. He would do stuff like that. Now, receivers, look, if we have a crew that's gonna hold, these guys are gonna hold you. Okay, they hold, So don't bitch at the receiver or this do business is business is being done, okay. So if you see how the refs calling it early, we go on, we go, and we go, you know, like he would give us those kind of reminders, little things with the protections or a coverage, little things that he looked at overall on the whole team, and then each offense and defensive coordinator would have their own keys when we break up and we do that same kind of thing.
Speaker 1: What's something like we're unfolded and like the Malcolm Butler interception I understand, like went over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He would say shit like, look something you experienced on game speed.
Speaker 2: You went, oh shit, I know exactly what to do here. Yeah, I remember, I remember one time like he said, look, fellas, there's gonna be an opportunity for us to run when back this game they do not have good coverage, and like he says, I'm just telling you, if we get this, we will win the game. And we we housed to kick because they were vulnerable. We were like I housed upon or something like. It was like one of those things like there's he would always predict shit like, look, there's gonna be a time in the game where we're gonna need to stop and then we're gonna do this, which in if you think back on it, you're like, well, I mean that's kind of like just common sense. But like to break down complexity, things that we've been studying all week to like, all right, these are the four things we really need to work on, Like think about okay, red area, tighten down, third down, no easy play here, take care of the football. We do those things. You guys already put the hay in the bank. We already were already prepared. Everything will also take care of yourself. Greatest coach of all time? Yeahright, Who can argue that, Jay, we missed anything on this game? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you what a great time I had that was talking about memory Lane that I got fired up watching that ship.
Speaker 2: This was a This was a fun game, and I feel like baseball is coming back. And when you I thought you were going to come on and do a Jets game. I was getting excited, like, why the fuck's he doing a Yankees game? But then when you told us the game, we started started doing the real I was gonna do a Jets game.
Speaker 1: I would have done Curtis Martin taking the latter and then throwing the touchdown to Wayne Corbett on Monday night in Miami and the rain, yes, and then Wayne just handing the ball to.
Speaker 2: The ref act like you've been scrappy. Wayne would have been a great Patriot.
Speaker 1: He would have been well, I mean that was like also a friend I keep mentioning because my Payah.
Speaker 2: Well you know that that was. He played kind of Patriot football with parcels and all that shit.
Speaker 1: He said, parcels if you were a rookie. He was the most motivating coach in the world.
Speaker 2: On year four. You want to fucking strangle him.
Speaker 1: So when he got his new contract, every time he walked in a room, he'd stop and go, hey, it's the great Wayne crab bet everybody you know he just got paid.
Speaker 2: Every practice here comes the great Wayne group and he's like, what the fuck's wrong with this guy? In year six? Why is he fucking with me? It's the more popular you got and the more money you made. Sometimes in that coaching regime, they wanted to bring you. Did Bill ever play like mind games with you? Not We've already been here for two hours? Oh okay, that's all he did. I mean, those guys are those guys are like mastermind guys. They know how to get the best out of their guys.
Speaker 1: You one of the best my wrestlers ever wrestled was We're at a tournament somewhere and I don't know, LA is so good. But I had a really young squad and I was at palis Ades High and when we were young, but we were gonna put like two guys into States. And I go, man, fucking I'm just sitting like you gotta wait in the bleachers all day, like match here, match there, to eight in the morning, two in the afternoon. I go, guys, come here, if we roll up these mats and we just fucking throw hands, which school do you think is winning? And they're like, I think we would. I go, I'll fuck him up. I pointed a coach. I go, I'll fuck him up. Can you fuck him up? And they just got him thinking street fight and they went out there and they were just like, just mauled guys. I go, yeah, fuck these guys.
Speaker 2: And that's the best thing a coach can do is get his players up. Now, they all do it differently, but the best ones can get guys up. I love coaching.
Speaker 1: I remember once we went to this tour. I was coaching Beverly Hills High. Ryan Faintitch was the head coach. We went to this tournament, UH, and it's called Freak show in Las Vegas, big deal.
Speaker 2: We take buses out.
Speaker 1: There and we all they all take a shit. They're just deer in the lights.
Speaker 2: It's huge. It's like karate Kid final scene.
Speaker 1: Big and we all fucking take a dump, stalling getting called for stalling. So Monday we're back in town. Monday, we show up to the wrestling room and coach is standing there. The door to the wrestling room is locked, and he goes, what are you guys doing? Like you got unlock the door. He goes, why so we can practice. He goes, well, you guys showed you don't like to wrestle, so we're gonna spend a week on the track.
Speaker 2: And we go down on the track.
Speaker 1: But he brings all the freeways down in the track and he had these guys running holding free weights.
Speaker 2: He goes, you're gonna fucking beg me to wrestle.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 2: He had them doing, you know, lawnmowers.
Speaker 1: When he grabbed the guy's feet and the nurse came out and said, you can't this is abuse because their hands were bleeding on the artificial turf.
Speaker 2: He goes, you can't have them do this on school property.
Speaker 1: He goes, fine, Pico Boulevard, the entire wrestling team doing wheelbarrows up and down Pico Boulevard in Beverly Hills. He goes, and then by Wednesday they were like I watching it. I was like, this is really like bad. And he goes, and then finally one of the captains goes, we're really gonna wrestle. There's these two twins, Chris and Art. I forget the wast but there was twins and they came up to him and they're like, we're really going to wrestle. We'll make sure everybody wrestles. And they unlocked the wrestling room and it's like the rest of the year, we just fucking housed everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got the fear of the track incredible. He used to have the old coach Joe front run what's that one? He just he'd run us. The first two weeks of Pop Warner, they would try to get kids to quit because you wanted a certain roster size for playing, because if you had like thirty two guys, each guy had to play like six plays. But if you had like thirty six guys, each guy had to play like five plays, so you play a less So there was like a sweet Mark. So they check get all these kids to sign up and bop Warner and then run us. Today in Redwood City, they run us till we puked spleechers, and you try to get kids to quit because you didn't want a roster size too big, because every kid had to play Who's the guy on the Patriots that never got tired running? Um never got tired for like fives for like a long time, it was me, Slate Hogan. We were the rabbits, like in conditioning they call it the rabbit Ebner Ebner Ebbs. He could run because he would go do the rugby shit. I had a good time, buddy, Thank you so much for coming on everyone. Oh we're still going. I didn't even we're still going. I thought everyone to go out and check out more Stories podcast, Apple, Apple, Uh, Spotify and YouTube.
Speaker 1: I have no dates coming up, so you don't have to visit my site on Instagram. I'm Jmore thirty seven. Jmore thirty seven. Follow me and let me know that Jewels sent you my way.
Speaker 2: So I can send you a nice gift basket Jeter style. Let's freaking go, Thanks, bro Man, that was awesome. Jase a Beast love him.
Speaker 6: You know, he had a moment that we designed this show for when you just see a roster you haven't looked at in twenty years. I thought about in twenty years and just all the names just bring all these memories. He was having that, and I was very happy that he was having that experience here on games with names.
Speaker 2: That's what you gotta do.
Speaker 4: Man, if you you know you were a real ball nor if you just pull up the Wikipedia, you see the roster and it like takes you back. It's like when you hear a song or a you have a smell, takes your back seeing a roster.
Speaker 2: He knows sport, he does. He knows ball, he knows his lineups and stuff like you could tell he loved it and he had deep cut stories.
Speaker 4: About like, yeah, that was a funny. The twentieth guy on the roster. That was awesome. Man, don't dictate the terms of your journey. Jay was poetic out there today.
Speaker 2: He's got a couple T shirts. He has a T shirt and some bumper stickers. He was good. He was spitting in the Nutthouse. Well you know what time it is. Who's time from the Chill Zone. Brought to you by Coors Light. Get Coors Light delivered straight to your door. Visitcoorslight dot com, slash gw N Celebrate Responsibly. I love that sound. Cheers boys, Mmm, taste so good? When so good? One in your lips? Well, uh, what are we doing? A little little uh? Starting five year may take is into this thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is another edition of Starting five where Jules Kyler and myself build our perfect starting five for any situation.
Speaker 2: It could be yard.
Speaker 4: Games, it could be movies, it could be you name it. We can build a starting five for any situation. And today it is movies, and we're talking sports movies in honor of Bob Sugar in one of the best sports movies, Sugarman, Bob Sugar, No man on this thing.
Speaker 2: I'm not searching for anybody here. This is looking Sugar. Yeah. This is ain't no searching for Sugarman.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 2: Bob search Sugar.
Speaker 4: One of the best portrayals of an agent all time, right up there with Stevie Grant. I know everyone's gonna say, Ari Gold you you casuals, But.
Speaker 2: The real heads, no, who's Stevie Grant? Dude, Bob Odenkirk and Larry Sanders come on Oh, very good, very good. I didn't watch that. Today.
Speaker 4: We are building a starting five for the Ultimate Sports Movies. Kyler will draft his five Jeweles will draft his, and I will draft mine. This is a snake draft, Kyler, you need to keep us on the tracks. Snake drafts confuse me me too. I'm easily got a lot.
Speaker 6: Of heat in the comments for how little you guys understood snake drafts.
Speaker 4: Well, every time I'm doing a snake draft, I know I have the scroller to help me when I'm doing it on my my fantasy website.
Speaker 2: Here, I don't have the scroller.
Speaker 6: So if you pick first in one round, the next round you pick last and just goes back and natty bullshit.
Speaker 4: I know, though, That's why you gotta keep us on the tracks, Baby, keep us on the tracks. Who are doing starting five sports movies?
Speaker 2: We're not going You're on the things the worst one. Every time.
Speaker 6: Middle is great. Everyone loves middle. Okay, and then no, no cheats, no.
Speaker 2: No poolt computers. We're not looking at the straight from straight off the dome.
Speaker 4: You will not see these fingers googling a thing ready with the number one pick in the draft.
Speaker 2: I am choosing Bad News Bears Bears, the Old One.
Speaker 4: The Old One, Walter Matthow, Kelly Leak, Yes, number one, number one, great movie, All Timer, red striped beer.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got a couple. I'm gonna this is one of my favorite Remember the Titans, the Titans, some things, shun shine, shed a tear, shed some tears. I'm gonna go with Miracle Solid again. So Kyler goes again. I'm gonna go with Happy Gilmore. Wow. Good one, you guys. Okay, your first pick was a Disney movie. Bro Bad News Bears is terrible. I'm going difference.
Speaker 4: Number ten lot, Yes, great pick, suckers. You ready for this bad Boy Space Jam, Space Jam g first one if you want to you okay.
Speaker 2: So Jack goes again.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love the Snake Draft. I am going to go with Let's put Jerry McGuire in there.
Speaker 7: Let's put Jerry as good. Okay, let's put Jerry McGuire in there. Jules water Boy good one time, All Timer. You can do it.
Speaker 2: Oh, No, we suck again. We were just talking about Henry Winkler. Yes, that drawing up plays in his little note pet. No, I'm gonna go with Moneyball Solid Solid.
Speaker 6: All time film, and I'm gonna follow that up with slapshot shout out Paul Newman.
Speaker 2: I like it. Oh for me program Oh underrated, underrated, underrated Number four.
Speaker 4: I'm going with the Fighter, Baby, The Fighter, Mickey Ward, Dicky Ecklyn.
Speaker 2: David O Russell, don't do it. The Fighter was good by is great? Mark Wahlberg, Marky Mark, Oh again? Yes, I love the Snake.
Speaker 4: Draft you gotta leake he goes back and for you gotta love the snake. How about this one? Let's hit the course baby, Let's go Team Cup.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean Costner. He could be on Gotta Go Days of Thunder. Oh yeah, Nascar Cruise. So I cannot I can'tnot watch that movie. Hey he hit me, No Carle, he rubbed you, and rubbing is racing. John c Riley, two NASCAR movies, two Nascar movies.
Speaker 6: Interesting here, He's not gonna go Talladagon That could be interesting, could be?
Speaker 2: Could be? What else to be? God here? Hoosiers Classic? You got a lot?
Speaker 6: You're not gonna gois all right? Longest Yard good? I'm not gonna go Which one you would you? Original remakes?
Speaker 2: Standler really not around? I think so, just because of an Era. But I'm gonna go with Caddy shack Ah. Great pick, great, it's good. I fucking roasted both of you guys again.
Speaker 4: Two golf movies in his tops ton Man of the Year, six man.
Speaker 6: All right, okay, then I go again. Rudy is in there, although I heard Rudy was a prick.
Speaker 2: I do. I do love Vince Vaughan and John fab Bro. It's a great movie. Great movie. Yeah, but timer and asshole.
Speaker 4: Hey, the story is good, great story. Vince Vaughan was credited as Vincent Voughan in that movie. Fun fact, if you read the credits young young Men.
Speaker 2: I hadn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't think past I'm surprised no one said draft Day yet, draft Day, draft Day.
Speaker 2: Well, it might be on the might be on the clock. The pick is in did I'm just gonna go with Hoosiers because I can't think of anyone else. Gotta go feel the dreams. Wow, if you build it, they will come, They will come. Have you watched that recently? Yeah, it's amazing, Like most of it is just like a road trip movie with fucking jazerl zones. Yeah. Uh, it's a great movie. You know it's not They will come. It's he will come. Yeah, that's dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Everyone, the the the zeitgeist has made it.
Speaker 2: It's like a It's like, Luke, I am your father. He doesn't say that, Luke, what does he say? He just says, I am your father? Oh?
Speaker 3: Is it me?
Speaker 2: Photo? I think mine is like got a little bit of everything like yours. You don't say I got real action. I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not coming out attacking other people's I'm trying to build them up here.
Speaker 2: Tension makes for a great interd NFL movies for me. How about this? Movies are lacking in general.
Speaker 4: Any given Sunday is good, says I'm going it's.
Speaker 2: A great speech in an okay movie. That's a good movie.
Speaker 4: I'm going with this is I'm surprised knowing said this yet, Rookie of the Year. Man, I was just thinking about God's Gary Busey's name road.
Speaker 6: That Oh yeah, Daniels, Yeah, the Wet Band, the Stick, the webs too.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of good ones here.
Speaker 6: I mean, no, now, we just got to say something. People are yelling at their at their TVs right now. There's just the ones we've missed.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, I mean, I mean you could go countless Rush. I was gonna put rush like I was gonna love. I love race Car Movies, Dodgeball, Dodgeball's Major League. Oh yeah, Friday Friday, Bull Durham. See, I like to remember the Titans Born Friday, like Sea Biscuit, White Man, Friday Night Lights when I was in high school, so like like you were kind of like like living it low key. Yeah, we were not really not like that.
Speaker 7: The next boys are there, PERI b the football there Man Varsity, Blue Fit, jan Great loving basketball.
Speaker 2: Loving basketball is one of my I should have put that on there.
Speaker 6: Hoop Dreams, billion dollar Baby, Okay, now we're it, and you know cool Runnings.
Speaker 8: Cool rating, Raging Ball, fuck yay, oh Blue Chips, eight Man Out, Hurricane Man, karate Kid there including.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, any of the Rockies Wow Bill, Rocky one through four and starting ten for each of us. Man.
Speaker 4: The comment section is gonna be going creeping iron go documentary.
Speaker 2: Wow, Doc Wow.
Speaker 4: I didn't think about Doc one hundred percent. Julian Edelman, Thank you, Jack.
Speaker 2: Hey, I like that movie. That was fun Thanks that was that was funny. Other Bull Durham. We didn't say Bull Durham fudge you just for the love of the game, love that I watched that.
Speaker 6: We're calling the big Lebowski. We're calling the big Lebowski sports. And then there's there's bowling.
Speaker 2: Oh, base Kingpin base basketball, baseball gotta be in there, man, king Pins Austin. You guys rip on me one or two or three more here squeaking baseball. BASEketball was like very formative for me. I feel like free solo. Does that come? Yeah, but it's not that fun. Yeah, it's more like yeah, anxious.
Speaker 4: It's like me counting, Like uncut Gems is a sports movie, like I'm.
Speaker 2: Yeah the wrestler. That movie Blue Chips, that was a great one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Leon bro Shack, he got God. I love bro Real and Jesus Wars.
Speaker 2: That's literally one of I just I love Denzel in sports movies. What else is he in? The two like two favorites, Ye remember the Titans. Yeah, those are two good as sports movies. Honestly, Tanya is good. Shut out Paul Walter Hauser. Shout out Paul Walter Haser. All right, cool, so let's just say, H'm real quick, Jack, what's your team?
Speaker 4: Let's go, baby, The definitive starting five Here, Bad News, Bears, Space Jam, Jerry McGuire, The Fighter, Tin Cup, and Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 2: I'm pleased with that. Yours is definitive. Mine is always ongoing. But for mine today remember the Titans one Sandlot to water Boy. Three for the program five Days of Thunder and six Man Off the Bench. Field of Dreams, I like that is miracle, but everything you know, I hit a little bit of you know, a heartfelt child fun sad Lot's a classic comedy, real life experience. Days of Thunder program is just like I remember watching that, like, oh my god, this is college football. It's fucking crazy. And then Field Dreams just want to feel good. I want to play catch with my dad in the cornfield, Cornfield, Iowa.
Speaker 6: And then my list is Miracle, Happy Gilmore, Moneyball, Slapshot, Caddyshack, and then honorable mention Hoosiers. I love it, man, flow us up, blow us up in the common. But we didn't even say mighty ducks.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that after you have because I saw you had all the hockey. I'm like, do I want to throw a hockey mighty blow.
Speaker 4: Up in that little so I'm just pulling up the list here right.
Speaker 6: I saw a meme o that was like if I think it's like if you watch a movie in reverse, it's such a certain thing. And there's a meme that's like, if you watch Mighty Ducks and reverse, it's a team so bad it makes a guy, uh turn to alcoholism.
Speaker 2: God, oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, your punishment for a d ui be around a bunch of kids Mighty Ducks.
Speaker 2: And we don't have to worry about duys because as core Light fans as we are, we always celebrate responsibly. That's right, that's right, and that was chose own thanks to our favorite beer, Coors Light. Get cours Light delivered straight to your door. Visit Coreslight dot com, slash g w N and celebrate once again responsibly. Well what a game. That was a fun game to go down memory laying with great baseball. That was baseball baseb I was kind of back though. I went to that Dodgers game. That was really fun. Show Hay's gonna pitch? I think Show hayes by the time we dropped this, he could have been pitching too fast, almost too fast, you know, so fast. And let me give a little something about this Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: Okay, let him know, really cool, like that fifties, sixties vibe, really cool stadium, super Dodgers, dog all beef, really pretty good, pretty good.
Speaker 2: I got one thing. We can't bottle neck nine lanes to two and trying to enter this thing with no supervision. We're bottling necking and it's it's first it's it's it's like war out there trying to get into this goddamn stadium. Boy, that merged was something else, you know what? And I and I and I will say it was against the Giants, and we are Giants fans growing up. So I brought Lily. She's wearing an orange little shirt, wearing her little Giants hat, doing the go Giants go respectful fans. They not one chirp. I was gonna say, I didn't eve, not one chirp, not a single chirp, really respectful. I'm they didn't chirp. Surprise, No. I was ready to throw hands in the parking lot. I wasn't shit. But it was a fun experience. Dodger Stadium was pretty cool. It was awesome. Man, I had a great time show show Hey does bring electricity? It really was.
Speaker 4: It's It's one of those like you gotta stop and realize, like fifty years from now you'll be telling your drink.
Speaker 2: Kid like I'm so Ronnie playing person. Yeah, we saw those kind of guys, saw him twice. That was incredible. Well, that's been another episode of Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Coming the game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. Leave us a five star review on Spotify while you're there. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a comment on the YouTube full episode. We read the best ones in future episodes. I'm coming. Leave a message on the old hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine zero, and we'll see you guys next week. Games and Names of production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts