Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done, yay.
Speaker 2: Another episode of That's Messed Up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 4: My name is Leeza Traeger.
Speaker 1: And I'm Kara Klank, your other host, And every week we recap an episode of SVU. We talk about the true crimeates based on and soon we'll be back to talking to guests because the strike is oh thea But I mean, who knows. I don't know if we're going to vote on this thing. Have you voted no on the contract?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I don't look at any I don't really I don't. I've like taken myself out of society in a way.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, why.
Speaker 2: Don't check my mail? Yes, I don't check my email. I don't have TikTok and I don't have Instagram anymore. And I've truly been watching YouTube shorts on my phone, so that might have to go soon too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been slowly like retreating into the woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, into the woods instead of out of the woods. But this morning in bed, I did check a quick tailor Travis update.
Speaker 1: But oh, come on, we need that's it, we need that, We need that. Yeah, that's she straight from Brazil. She went right to Kansas City, so I love that. Ooh is there a direct from sam Pello to Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's funny that you asked they stopped in Florida.
Speaker 1: They did a refuel stop in Florida. Wow, you're early on that. I can't believe it. So okay, wait, there's a little bit of news. This episode is coming out. Okay, listen, we're always in the time machine. I know this is gonna be old news by them. But Da Da Rollins is coming back to SVU.
Speaker 2: I didn't even see that because I'm off the internet. I can't believe you didn't even text.
Speaker 1: Me I because I knew I was seeing you in ten minutes.
Speaker 4: Oh, you just found it.
Speaker 1: I just found it. I literally just posted it to our Instagram, like honestly ten minutes ago. Kelly gishsh Kelly Giddish, you know I know what I'm hurrying. Yeah, yeah, And I will stand corrected in that because look, it's on People Magazine that she's returning for season twenty five and I will stand corrected. I think I said I like Rowlins, She's done great work, and I thought, I don't really think anyone's gonna miss her. I missed her. I don't think I don't like who they replaced her with. I didn't like they need her. I like her there, I like her and Careesi. I want I want her back.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I want her back, and I you know, maybe she'll maybe there'll be some nice serial killer episodes that she can do, you know, some yes, yes, her analysis on.
Speaker 1: I at this point, I don't even care that she's like not qualified to play the hoong of the group, but like I want to have a hoong, so let's get her in there. Like I want to have somebody who's like telling me about like weird psychoses. I've never heard of weird disease, you know what I mean. Like I want that like element back.
Speaker 2: So well, yeah, because I wonder if you know, her whole thing of leaving is she has kids and she doesn't want to get shot at, so it could be in the realm of what you're saying, Yeah, she's like a squadron helping. Yeah, you know, I'm really excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she's been classy about it all. I mean, it's still such a thrill that.
Speaker 1: I knew something about it. I knew something was up because like a lot of you guys have sent us the it's like a little video of you know that song that's like big on TikTok and Instagram. It's like Y'm a little boo thing or whatever. It's it's Marishka and k and Kelly like dancing to that and like lip syncing it together. And I was like, oh, she's back on set, like and she's probably coming back, you know. And then this People magazine like dropped today. So thank you to everybody who sent it. I love that you guys always send us like all the same like memes and stuff on mass like and are like, I'm sure you've gotten this ten thousand times, but here it is again. You know what. We're fine. You know what I also getting. So we got that Spotify wrapped. That's what I was just gonnaate it.
Speaker 2: Text me hello to our new listeners in New Zealand and the Philippine. I mean, hello, that's exciting. I actually know two people who just got engaged in the Philippines. Oh really, I had Yeah, but I had known that he was proposing for months. He's like, Yeah, we're going on this trip in the fall, and then all of a sudden, they're like, we're going on this trip and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, is it fall? Like what the fuck? But yeah, so that's exciting. And someone showed me the video of him doing it. Because I'm not on the internet. It is really weird in LA because of the weather. I think I've probably talked about this on the podcast before, but I do have to like remind myself what month it is, like multiple times a week. Like I'm always like, but if it was if I was in New York, I would know, Like I would know because of the weather. I'd be like, Okay, it's February, like oh more almost to March where it's gonna warm up a little bit, you know what I mean. Like this the constant sunshine and like relative warmth. I always forget the month. But Spotify rap season is one of my favorite times of the year. You guys are so awesome and everybody's like sharing, Like we got some people that are like we're in their top point oh one percent, They're in our top one point one percent of our listeners.
Speaker 4: Or something.
Speaker 1: So that means they're like super listeners and love that. Love you guys for sharing your Spotify raps, and I like to see what you guys also listen to. Like if you like us, who else do you like? You know? Because we get some ruined which obviously is like our friends that we've turned you guys Onto and Tricksy and Katya who we talk about all the time. And then yeah, we just get like some interest, a lot of like you're wrong about in a maintenance phase, which I like other exactly right podcasts. That's why we drink girls sometimes. Woeah.
Speaker 4: We do want to know.
Speaker 2: So our top episode on Spotify was Abomination with Michael Bowman. So if that's something that you listen to time and time again or was that just a special week that.
Speaker 4: They found us all like, I'm so, I mean, we loved him.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like wondering if that's like the first week that they like opened up ratings on Spotify. By the way, you guys can rate us on Spotify now if you want to. I mean I don't, it's in my head.
Speaker 2: I like our Kelly Giddish scoop was like almost immediately after she left the show. I would think that would be where people walk to. But Michael Bowman our library guy, which is yeah, listen, I do have another Kelsey Brothers thing to say, and then we can, of course plug the tour. We have a few more dates left her, you know, just for Christmas. But who are the two people from It's Always Sonny that are married?
Speaker 4: Do you remember their names?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I know. It's Kaitlin Olsen. What's her husband, Kaylan Olsen?
Speaker 1: And mc Rob McKenny yeah or something, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So mclaney.
Speaker 2: So for the so the Eagles do this like autism foundation him and they were auctioning off this jacket and Rob McKellan ENnie he it reminds me of anemone from CNAMEO.
Speaker 4: Yes, is it cnemony?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you just said it right, I know, but that that's what his name.
Speaker 4: Reminded me of. And I love the little tentacle thing.
Speaker 2: Anyways, So he bid sixty two thousand dollars for this jacket and then he was outbid but for someone bidding one hundred grand who ended up being his wife. Yeah, So I thought that was like really cute. That's very six in the city. It was for a Jason Kelcey jacket. No, it was like a Kelly Green jacket that his wife wore. Is like a limited edition. I have no idea. I mean, I know I'm a new fan. I have no idea why this jacket is special. I think it's an outdated green color that they don't use anymore, something like that. But you know, they're obviously Philadelphia people, and they're obviously the richest people.
Speaker 1: They're a fun couple. I bet they're a fun couple. They're for sure a fun couple. I be not my friends. She produces their like live podcasts. I should ask her if they're like, yeah together.
Speaker 2: They I would be shocked if they were not fun and into each other.
Speaker 4: I don't know, But who knows? Who knows?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I know couples that are miserable and their Instagram looks incredible.
Speaker 4: So you really never know.
Speaker 1: Because I've been Yeah, like, I've been at parties with the other fucking guy from Always Sonny Charlie Day and his wife who's like also an actress and was in one of my favorite show, The Grinder. But I always Sonny's a big blind spot for me, and I feel like people are rabidly fans of it, and I just like don't know it. I just don't. It's a blind spot for me too. Yeah, should we like watch it together?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I've started a couple episodes.
Speaker 1: Should start from the beginning, virgins watching Always Sunny podcasts, Like we've not that we're virgins, but that we've never watched a second of Always Sonny and we started in.
Speaker 4: Twenty I think they get the reference. They get the reference. They didn't think that you are a virgin?
Speaker 1: Does anyone think I'm a virgin?
Speaker 2: I'm glad you clarify that. Let's see who this Glenn guy is married to. Now, I'm curious if they're all who they're all married to. We're just going on an Always Sonny hunt. Now, yeah, for some reason, And I mean, people really love Danny DeVito.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's all good. Wait, he's married to someone, Glenn Howardton. He's married. Okay, he's married to Jilliano.
Speaker 2: She did a guest appearance on the show, but she's not as recognizable to me as the other women.
Speaker 1: No, I guess I think that he dated somebody that was on SVU, because I feel like I was just on his profile, like seeing who he was, like you connect. There was some kind of you connect to him. But now I'm obviously they're not going to put his whole dating history in here. But interesting. Oh.
Speaker 4: I ran into a listenery yesterday at Target.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. That's where I always run into listeners really, like, well, the only times in LA people ever come up to me and say I listened to your podcast is a Target. I love that it's happened like four times. Well, I did something fun.
Speaker 2: You know, you're not supposed to do good deeds and brag about it, but I'll tell you it felt great, and if you're in the mood, I would suggest you do it. But the Comedy Store had a toy drive with the West Hollywood Fire Department, the la FD. Yeah, and basically I picked an amount of money I wanted to spend, and boy was it fun. I mean, I had the time of my life filling that cart up with toys. And I don't know, I just like the idea of the kids having good toys. And yeah, even if you get one amazing toy that you would like or your kids would like, I'm sure one of these people would like it.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It felt really exciting.
Speaker 2: So if anyone has extra income and one to give around the holidays, I would suggest buying a.
Speaker 1: Bunch of toys because you get the you you get the boost. You get the boosts to the shopping too, so you get the boost and then you know, you hope that like children are enjoying a fun time. Yeah. And I was also going to show because.
Speaker 2: I showed up and someone brought a package a package of Uno. I'm sorry, that's four ninety nine. That's not enough. Like, I'll say that right here. No kid wants a packet of Uno for the holidays, that's all. That's that's not okay. So I'm saying everything is fine, but I don't agree. I think it needs to be something that you would want, because that was my big thing issue with food drive stuff. It's like, obviously people are happy to have food, but like, no one wants these weird green beans in water, So why don't you get people things that you would actually want to eat.
Speaker 4: That's just something I believe in, but no big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was also going to shout out if you don't have time to go like shopping for toys, but you do want to help it the holiday season. A listener sent us from the Instagram account is called things Dot I Dot bought Dot and Dot liked. That's the Instagram I will obviously post it on our Instagram today the episode the day this episode comes out, but it has a big database of teacher with wishless from Title one schools. My child goes to a Title one school as well, and it's just like wishless that the teachers need. So you guys know, we're always like pumping up the teachers. But it's from all over the country, so like I'm looking at it right now. It's like New Haven, the Bronx, Cleveland, Delaware, like Texas, like it's everywhere. You could just go on here and like help a teacher clear their list for the holidays. That would be very cool. And you know, we're pro teacher on this pod, so that's another option if you can't, you can't go on a little target spree. Well, and I saw so do you know the lols Surprise Dolls? Yes, Julie is that's the one that Julia. I literally messaged Julia four days ago and I go, they're still playing with it. Oscar and Rosie were fighting over it. My our friend Julia, when I was pregnant with Oscar made me a cupcake that looked like a vagina and it had this little doll's head coming out of it in the cupcake and it was so funny. But I kept the doll because like Rosie loved it and they still play with it all.
Speaker 2: The time, and I should get her a big one. So they make him big too. And right now there's a Haribo Lol Surprise collab where like the doll has a belly chain with little gummy bears hanging off of it, on colorful hair and like plasticy outfits, and then there's like all the there's just like Harrobo collabs with these dolls. So you know, I was excited. Yeah, but you you helped me out. I grabbed some Gabby's Dollhouse was on sale. There was bluey stuff. I really I did it all. I'm so happy. But I just got huge Gabby's Dollhouse news.
Speaker 1: Today I'm dropping I'm dropping my son off at school and he has a hard time going in. He's been crying going in. It's just it's like, honestly, it's like a sense memory thing. Now he's not unhappy to go in, He's just like, oh, this is where I start crying. It's like a tradition. And so outside of his school there's a little bench that has a Gabby's Dollhouse ad on it. It's about wearing, it's not about putting your kids in the right car seat, but as all the characters. So we go look at it to like calm him down a little bit before we go into school, and this mom comes up, who I've known since last year because her daughter was in Rosie's class, was like, Oh, are you guys into that? My husband's directing the Gabby's Dollhouse movie. And I was like, you gotta be kidding me. I was like, this is Oscar's favorite thing. And she was like, yeah, there's gonna be screenings. I'll get you into a screening. I was like, amazing. She goes and if you want any toys, his office is right next to the big merch room where all the Gabby's Dollhouse toys are. And I was like, you gotta be joking me, Like what are the chances that, like I've talked to this woman all the time, but like we never would have even like talked about that. I don't think and so I was like, this is a huge day for me Gabby's Dollhouses. If you remember, this is what I talked about with Amber Stevens West. We were talking about how our kids are both super Gabby fans. Oh wow, well my thing.
Speaker 2: And he's young, so he doesn't he hasn't been poisoned by the world yet. But it's nice to know that a boy is watching a girl show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Gabby it like is kind, it feels girly. It's very painky cats. Yeah, but like when you watch it, the songs are really catchy. It shows you crafts. It tells you about like like there's a really cute song that's like I don't know how to do that yet, Like about how important the word yet is. Like you don't just say I can't. You're like, I can't do that yet, you know. Like it's a really cute show. I actually don't mind it. Rosie hates it now because he's Oscar's obsessed and she's like in protest. But I don't know, I'm I'm thrilled about my new Gabby's Dollhouse connect.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I know that's huge really, I mean, that's what's fun in la I guess someone's like, oh, yeah, I do that. So that's exciting because everyone told me at the comedy store that Travis Kelce had been there, that he goes there and he's ends with certain comics that are like success.
Speaker 1: You know, I think that you're not that many degrees away from meeting him. I don't think that would be impossible.
Speaker 4: I don't either.
Speaker 2: I actually yeah, I've been thinking if we can retroactively go back to our episodes that have aired and taken out the judgmental things I have said about Taylor and that air them back out, just in case she finds it. Because now I'm I am so hardcore. You don't understand, Like I just didn't even understand folklore. And now I'm just like alone on walks crying listening to these songs that I think it.
Speaker 1: Takes this strong. You're you're a good person. You're a strong person. You're standing in your truth. You're saying listen, I made some judgments about Taylor. I've changed my mind. Now I'm a huge stand I mean, like.
Speaker 2: Songwriting so good, the music is so good, and I did think about it. I go, you know, there is a bit of sexism because this bitch is prolific. I mean the amount of songs she is writing non stop, and that we're even questioning whether she's talented or not when ed Sheeran gets to just pop around in a flannel. Oh you know what I mean. I mean in cases, wearing a flannel, no offense.
Speaker 1: I think both of us were always saying she's talented. I mean we were not saying she's untalented. I think we were like, oh, but compared to Gaga, and like we shouldn't compare women. I get that, but like we're allowed to have our favorites or whatever. But you know, I think like the Eras tour, because we talked about her pre Eras tour or it had just started, and like, I just the fact that she performs for like three and a half hours, like multiple times a week, like barely stopping is like you said it, You're like, it's like an elite athlete, Like it's you know, it's really admirable.
Speaker 2: And well, yeah, in the Gayga documentary, she would come out and sit in an ice bath.
Speaker 1: And go, oh, you know, that's a lot of it's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: So crazy, but yeah, I'm just so into all of it so much right now. Just a lot of the songs that I didn't even know about. I'm like even old ones. I'm like enchanted, where have I been?
Speaker 1: You know? But it's definitely not all for me. I love the more poppy stuff too, Like I'm a weird I'm a real we're never getting back together girl? Like. I like a lot of stuff from like I think Red and that's so funny. That's the one album I won't even have on my Oh, I think I those annoying me. I like the poppy shit. I do.
Speaker 2: Remember I was dating a guy at the time, and I mean, I am ashamed about this because I would never eat at Papa John's, even before he came out as a lunatic, Like it is a subpar pizza. If Papa John's is your number one, I'm telling you get some Dominoes and Pizza Hut in your life.
Speaker 4: But anyways, her.
Speaker 2: She was on so he would always get Papa John's, and she was always on the cover of the pizza boxes for Red, Like I just remember she had a collab, but you were like, fuck.
Speaker 1: I don't think she would do that now. I don't think she should be on a pizza box. Cover of a Papa John's pizza box is hilarious. If anyone has a photo, I'm sure we could find a reference on Google.
Speaker 4: And you know what else I saw?
Speaker 2: Do you know that like when she's in the catwalk and like she's done underground, she sits on like a bob sled type of thing and then it shoots her to the top of the stage because there's not enough time for her to like walk, it's too big of a stage, and so she like lays down flat on this thing and then it zooms her as she's laying flat to her costume chain.
Speaker 1: Like to the stage. I want to fucking bob sled. That's cool. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like it's pretty fucking cool.
Speaker 2: That's really cool. Yeah, but I was like, what if I meet her? What if I Because you know, it's it's the SNL connect. That connect is kind of like the most celeb heavy because all the celebs love SNL and so they're you know, they are like inspired by the SNL cast. So that's always that's the degree, because you know, it's impressive. They're like writing shit day of they're funny, you know, So yeah, I feel like celebs love going there, and so that would.
Speaker 4: Be the connect.
Speaker 2: But I already had this fantasy like what well if I what if I got to meet her and then I told her about the sv podcast and then she came on to I we got I was I was gonna. I was like, I have to email Casey. I'm like, can we retroactively take things out listen? Because do you know if she heard one thing, we'd be done. We'd be in a song and we'd be done.
Speaker 1: We never say do you think Taylor Swift has time to listen to our podcast and to specifically find the episode where we maybe said something not support.
Speaker 4: I'm I know she's busy.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say yes because now I've been watching YouTube videos of ten minutes of Taylor being herself. Right, So I watched a bunch of these compilations, and she watches a lot of us. She watches Law and Order and Dateline. Dateline is like her favorite. Like she's a crime person and she listens to other crime podcasts.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I think you should open with talking about our podcast, and then you know, if that conversation happens, we delete that episode. No, I would be like Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You know our listeners make us friendship bracelets that are SVU themed. I gotta give you one, and I'll always just have them ready now, like.
Speaker 1: Just you walking, you gotta have five of ourselves in your pocket at all times.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm performing in Kansas City next June. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see get her there there, get her there.
Speaker 2: I was gonna go to Europe to go see her because she's doing London two sets, five times. But she's gonna be in Toronto. I think I'm going to try to do that instead.
Speaker 1: Yo. Also, I was so bummed we didn't get to spend more time in Toronto because I was just talking to our friend Allison, who said it's the best and like was there for five days and said the shopping is so good and we didn't even get to see anyone.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not even at the shopping.
Speaker 2: Allison was posting the food she was eating, Oh yeah, and it looked so good. I mean, I've been in Toronto a few times, but she's like such a foodie and the food that she posted.
Speaker 1: I gotta get her there. We got to get back there and spend more time.
Speaker 2: But listen, remember the cookies that we were gifted the Nibs, Creg's was it Craig's, Craig's cookies.
Speaker 4: We liked Greg's cookies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with the Nibs, Yeah, the Twizzlers, Nibs's ass with all of you.
Speaker 4: And we're on the We are back on the road. Is that what we're about to say?
Speaker 1: Yes, I was about to say. What I was gonna say is if you like seeing a woman do three and a half hours of NonStop songs on a tour, you're gonna love two women sitting at a table doing two hours of SVU commentary. And that's us. We're on the road, finishing up the twenty twenty three tour. Guys, todaight today. This episode comes out on the twelfth tomorrow. We're in Sacramento. We have the best time in Sacramento last time we came. Please come out, come see us again. We're doing obviously, we're doing a new episode. It's not gonna be the same, new games, new commentary, new outfits, you know, So come see us. New York. The six o'clock show is officially sold out at City Winery, but the nine o'clock show still has tickets. Come see us it's the holiday season. I want to like pound eggnog and party with you guys. Let's do it. And then on the seventeenth we're in Philadelphia and that was the best last year too, So come back to Philly and see us, and then we well, I guess we really wrap it up on the seventh of January in Seattle at the Wet City Comedy Fest. And originally when we posted about this, you had to buy like a day pass, and I think that might have deterred people because you had to buy a day pass to see all the comedy. The new link is up at That's messed up live dot com of where you can just buy a ticket to just see us. We're doing a show in Seattle that Sunday, the seventh aug six, doing stand up go see her. So if you're gonna see Lisa and us, it might make sense to buy the past. But if you're like coming to see us, there's a separate ticket link, but go see both of us.
Speaker 2: I'm also I'm gonna we'll see hopefully i'll post about it this week, but I'm gonna be in Boston at the Crystal Ballroom, which is you know where Karen and I both were, but it's like a bigger venue. So come on and see me, and I'll be back in Saint Louis, I think at the end of January, so that'll be like a chilly fun time and a bunch of other things. Back in Chicago in March. Whatever I'll be, I'll be on the road, baby.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm on.
Speaker 1: I'm on.
Speaker 2: Craig's Cookies. They have Ferrero Rochet cookies. Are you kidding me? That's are you fucking kidding me? That's my favorite, Mini eggs.
Speaker 1: They have many cookies they don't They don't ship outside of Canada, pop Tart cookies, York Peppermint patty, are you ah.
Speaker 4: No, they don't.
Speaker 1: If you're in Toronto between now and New York and you're coming to our New York show, you're coming to our Philly show, please get bring us some Ferrera Roche or Mini Eggs cookies and we will pay you back. I really want that. If they don't shift to America.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I went to I was performing in Winnipeg when Black Panther came out, So I went to go see it by myself, and I got the kids pack and the kids pack came with mini eggs. You can get mini eggs at a movie theater in Canada.
Speaker 1: I love that. And you know, mini eggs are a year round now because they do an autumn mix and they do a Christmas mix.
Speaker 2: They they crumbled to the pressure because what I always respected about them was they weren't even after the holiday sale, like they were taken off the shelves. But I think we were just too ravenous. Yeah, you know, just too intent.
Speaker 1: No, everyone just wants they're all after the profits now in the candy world. But come see us live, that's messed up. Live dot com is where all of our dates are. And then yeah, message us and let us know where you want to see us in twenty twenty four. If there's places we haven't been or places you want us to come back to, let us know. We obviously want to get across the pond to the UK. We're dying, So tell your friends let's build up our listenership there and so that we can't we can undeniably buy a ticket across the Atlanta the Atlantic Ocean and.
Speaker 2: See I read I saw something online that the Pacific Ocean is more dangerous to fly over than the Atlantic or something like I saw something that said, Okay, we gotta we gotta start.
Speaker 4: We gotta start.
Speaker 1: Casey has abandoned the flag and has shown us a picture of a crying face to let us know how over our time we are. That makes sense though, because the Pacific's much bigger, isn't it. Yeah. They were like the most dangerous flight you can take, and it was something to Australia, and I was like, I've taken that flight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I've done it.
Speaker 2: But I guess people don't like to fly over the Pacific, which I didn't really know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most of the times, I feel like, you see the ones that go down without a trace, it's the Pacific. But you know, my brother's in Japan right now, so let's wish them all luck. Let's get started, guys. We have an awesome episode for you today. Let's go today.
Speaker 2: We will be doing a Misunderstanding, Season seventeen, episode twelve, So that's thrilling. We're in therapy, that's where we're opening. Benson's talking about someone named Richard with a ruptured spleen and internal bleeding and then a test and the therapist interjects and is like, wait, the teenager was raped.
Speaker 4: She confirms that it's going to be a long road for this team.
Speaker 2: But also the Joe, the ringleader of this attack with his girlfriend, we're both serially abused as children.
Speaker 4: So I was like, what the fuck's going on?
Speaker 2: What they're talking about is the crime from last episode, just one episode prior we will be doing it.
Speaker 4: We're holding out for a guest. So that is what happened.
Speaker 2: And so it's called the Townhouse incident, and it's a home hostage situation and Benson gets stuck inside. Done done the townhouse, Okay.
Speaker 1: So she's telling her.
Speaker 2: Therapists about the experience because she was held hostage in there and it was like a fucking it. It's an insane episode, honestly, and he had brain damage, the ringleader of the crime. So it's an endless cycle of abuse. And the therapist is like, well, why don't you just stop? What would happen if you stop? And she says I can't and he's like, yeah, you, but you just said it's endless, and so like just stop, Like, I hate this is the worst advice I've ever gotton. But she says, I have hope and classics. She's like I'm fine. I wasn't even shot. I wasn't actually shot, so maybe a bullet grazed her.
Speaker 4: And she feels okay with.
Speaker 2: It, and he's like, okay, how about nightmares and flashbacks And she's like, well, yeah, duh, but that's nothing new, and so he changes the subjects and asks about Noah and she says she can be let him out of her sight.
Speaker 4: It's all she could think about. It's all about Noah.
Speaker 2: And he keeps trying to make her quit, and she's like, no, I don't want to quit, and he's like, what no one else can do what you do, and she goes, I am back because I am ready to be back, and you need to fucking sign off on that. So I'm sure he listens to Texas Benson and we cut to a high school hallway of students zipping around, the lockers being shut, and then there's a girl and a gay across the hallway making eyes at each other. I think it's a guy, and I think my my Google box changed it to gay.
Speaker 1: I think he is loving her outfit and he is letting her know with his eyes. The girl in the gay making eyes at each other. Oh yeah, maybe he's by, But what we know is it's it's a guy.
Speaker 2: They are sexual looks. They are sexual looks. Her name is Abby. She has brown hair and a headband, and I think headband means you're a loser.
Speaker 4: And then her friend, I'm assuming it's.
Speaker 2: A slut because she has very heavy makeup on and like like rouged lips, like truly like an eighteen hundred's madam, Like it's very intense makeup for a young team.
Speaker 1: And did you recognize that this girl Abby was in the episode Underbelly where like she runs away from home and then she becomes friends with this pimp and he's obviously trafficking her, and then but she keeps being like, no, but I love him, and like Danny Beck's trying to get her away from him, and she keeps like running back to her pimp boyfriend who's like abusive to her.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting because I don't remember that one in particular, But last night I was watching a ton of season thirteen, and there's a similar story with Dominic Formosa's like the parent and he comes to get her girl, and she's like, my pimp loves me, so it they do go back, you know, they they have to hit the points again.
Speaker 1: I think they try to show the complexities of like trafficking and like how girls get into the situations, because I think so many people think trafficking, as we've discussed on this podcast, is like you're walking along the road eating an ice cream cone with your friends and a van picks you up and throws you in there and like you're suddenly being turned out, you know, But it's that it's like a lot of times it's like, no, he makes me feel like I'm his girlfriend, and then it's like he's sharing me with his friends suddenly, and then suddenly I'm working for him as a full time sex worker, but not a sex worker who's doing it on her own volition, like a child trafficked sex worker. So it's interesting they do hit it a lot on the show. But anyway, go on headband equals loser.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because like I said, I was watching season thirteen and then I watched Theater Tricks. You know, an actress is raped on stage and it's like who did it? And it was like a third party not included in the emails, and that reminded me of that episode we did with the monster. Oh yes, you know, like they do every few years. There is kind of the touchstones, and but then sometimes it switches. Sometimes it's like, well, he was sleeping, so it doesn't count. And then sometimes they're like he was drugged and blacked out, but he needs to.
Speaker 4: Serve his time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's that's funny where it's like it kind of is a twist, but we love you, s for you. I did not recognize Abby, but good for her playing like a young teen for years, because that was Underbelly season eight, So that's wild. Yeah, that that's almost ten years of acting like a child.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so it's the headband in the slut, and the slut is like, oh my god, Chris Roberts is staring at you, and this Chris Roberts has like a Zach Morris hair style, but like a very baby face. It's clear he's a child, and this girl can't believe the senior is looking at her.
Speaker 4: And the dudes around him are like, you better hit that, bro.
Speaker 1: If you don't, we will unless you want the shot, and he's like no, no, sure, totally for sure, and the girls run off laughing.
Speaker 4: We're in a cool classroom.
Speaker 2: And the kids are at one giant table like Arthur's Court, so we know it's a rich school. And they're talking Romeo and Juliet two houses divided, and I don't think that's going to be the first time we hear about that reference. Okay, and then a hand with delicate gold rings sneaks her cellphone out from under her notebook.
Speaker 4: Chris is texting her.
Speaker 2: He asked her to the Solstice dance, which is really funny for a private school to me, to have like a moon dance. She is so pumped, and her slutty friend sends Chris photos of her of her friend.
Speaker 1: She's like abby pose. And then the parents are taking pictures. It's dance time.
Speaker 2: The parents are super supportive and cute, and the slut is in a low red cut dress. Low cut red dress, which red is that's the international color for slut?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I don't mean yeah, your favorite red to a dance. Famously, I wore a red wet seal tight dress to my uncle's wedding when I was eighteen because I thought that I did not know yet that that was the international color for sluts.
Speaker 2: Well you know what it actually means. Even more, at a wedding. What I just learned this wearing red to a wedding means you had sex with the groom. No, yeah, I just learned that. But I guess it's like ex girlfriends come wearing red. Oh shit, that is fucking that is cool.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: It's wild, you said, wet seal. There's someone on TikTok this. I went down a rabbit hole. She's like, I don't know who cares. But she wore a thirty seven dollars dress to her wedding from shean wow, but she looked incredible, like she but she said it did rip by the end of the knight the butt was ripped. But it worked out. So anyways, so Chris texts her, are you ah? And I don't know what that means? Do you are you here? Are you here?
Speaker 1: Are you horny?
Speaker 4: No? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wait look it up to urban Yeah, go to urban Go to urban dictionary, baby, because like usually we get yeah, are you horny? Are you?
Speaker 4: It is are you horny?
Speaker 1: It's the first result. What does ruh mean? The first result is an online slang term that means are you horny?
Speaker 2: Well that makes sense because then her friend in the red says, that's good.
Speaker 4: That means he's into you.
Speaker 2: So then the sleept friend continues texting on Abby's phone. They're together at this dance party, and he gives her a swig off his flask and it's a giant flask, Like the whole point of a flask is to be secretive and their children at a dance. This flask is like you would buy it a country Western like gift.
Speaker 4: It is giant. It is the size of a book.
Speaker 1: You are not.
Speaker 2: It's a novelty. That's the word I couldn't think of. Just so big. So they start making out and taking sexy pictures of themselves kissing. He does it selfie style, but she's loving it. She's loving the attention, giggling. He asks her to go downstairs and it doesn't look like a school party, it looks like a home, and then into a basement like I'm very confused.
Speaker 4: We learned later it's a dark room.
Speaker 2: And I guess the dance is happening on top of the photography lab.
Speaker 1: Where are the chaperones? Why isn't it in a gym? I'm so confused.
Speaker 2: Well, no dance, like our prom was somewhere else but Homecoming and turnabout was in the gym.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but still we're at hotels. But but this is the Solstice dance. But the gym and my dark room were opposite ends of the school. Like, there's just so when I both went to public school, so private school is like a different breed. I guess they're they're having dances in their architecture suite or whatever. I don't know where they're having dances, but you know it's not It just.
Speaker 4: Doesn't look like a school to me.
Speaker 2: But they go downstairs and you know, he's wearing flannel, she's got her head band off for the night. They aggressively make out and she does ask slow down and not down there. He says sorry, She says not so hard, and he's like, you're so hot, and she groans and is like not into it in any way. She walks home from the party and like a white winter coat with a fur fur around the hood. And my parents would never let me buy a jacket like this. It had to cover my butt because to them, having your back revealed in the winter is defeats the purpose of.
Speaker 1: A coat, especially in Chicago. I was never allowed to have a cute little coat. It had to be giant and under my butt. It had to.
Speaker 4: But if you see my winterwear now it makes.
Speaker 1: Sense it had to be under my butt. It's devastating. I wanted a cropped little jacket from guests, you know, but but your little half it would have been frozen. I think your parents were looking out for you. Chicago. The cold cuts through your cl it really does.
Speaker 2: But and it's Christmas time because we see in the home when she enters, there's a gross tree behind her parents and she you know, they ask her what's up. She goes, it's fine, and she's she's just tired, and she runs upstairs and they're worried, but they think it's okay to give their daughter some privacy. Her phone buzzes and the text is from Chris and it says great time tonight and I'll see you Monday. She just writes K. Now, that is aggressive and that means bad. Like the fact that this teen did not read into the K is bad. Like that is aggressive. And if someone writes that to me unless they're older, and then I'm like, they just don't know. So then there's a buzz again and Daniella, her friend, wants details she slams the phone down in a rage, punches her bed, snuggles with a fuzzy sheep stuffed animal, and which I think is like a powerful move direction wise, like yeah, to show that she's young, and she just seems really stressed out. And it goes to the credits. So we're back and the cast is like the photo. Benson has this stick straight long Bob's center part and it's very sexy. So and Rollins is having a baby, so she's holding the baby. Now she had the baby, and so she's holding the baby and there's blooms and Dodd's creasy, Finn and Benson are all into seeing the baby and they all start talking about Amanda like she's not standing there, and they're like talking about different options for maternity leave and she could do this or my sister had that and this and that, and she just goes shut up, like stop to So then Rita Calhoun aka Elizabeth Marvel runs in in a rush and you got and she just goes, you got a minute, Benson, and then she sees the baby and goes, wow, a baby and does not care.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. It's like great, It's a great fucking line.
Speaker 2: It's just so telling about our and Benson's like, wow, Okay. So they go in the office. She's representing a fifteen year old freshman. Her name is Abby Stewart and she's the victim, and that's on z Olivia. She of course assumed that she was defending a teen rapist. She goes, what is this penance for representing a serial killer? She goes, damn, you're still gonna hold that against me and I and Benson says yes. And I looked on the wiki and I looked at the list of her clients and I couldn't really pinpoint which one it was.
Speaker 1: I think it's Carl Rudnick that makes it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Carl Rudnick from that double episode with the Yeah, the Devil's dis sections and the criminal pathology.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's what we're talking about here. And then Elizabeth doesn't care about like she knows what she does for money, she doesn't care. She's just like, listen, my good friend from school from her youth, like they went to this board like fancy school together. She goes, her daughter Abby was raped at a school dance last Friday. They went to their local priestinct who told them there's no case, and Benson goes, well, that's how they keep their rape stat slow. And she's known Abby since birth and she's not making this up, but like, you know, you know, it's classmates.
Speaker 4: She willingly went down to make out with him.
Speaker 2: There was consensual foreplay, and Benson goes, none of that matters, you know that, Rita, And she sighs, like knowing that that's something she would use to help get her rapists off.
Speaker 1: But it's tough. It's a late disclosure and there's no rape kit.
Speaker 2: But the maid did see Abby's dress with stain and showed it to her mom, and that's come and that's how the story got out. And Abby's so introverted, she was a virgin and she asks Benson to meet with her and she says, of course. So we're at the house and the mom to Benson goes, well, Rita says, you're the best, and Benson goes yes. But also, this case is complicated, and Careesi explains the next steps to the parents. We're gonna need statements, we need access to Abby's friends and social media, and we need the dress.
Speaker 4: And this is very Lewinsky of it.
Speaker 1: All, why did.
Speaker 2: Lewinsky's friend fuck her over just for clout? Was it Linda Tripp that like gave the dress away? Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Kind of yeah, I mean, like honestly, like I only know what I know of this from watching the Beanie Feldstein Sarah Paulson, like you know, dramatized version of it. But like the way that you that they characterized Linda Tripp was that she felt she was a lot more important that she was, and she constantly kept getting like demoted and moved because people found her annoying. Like and so like Monica Lewinsky, that's like this little girl like like having sex with like the most powerful man in the world, like that like annoyed her. It feels like like she thought she was like doing the right thing for the presidency, Like she had to like defend what was correct, and I think she thought it would make her a big She thought being a big whistleblower would like make her important, and it honestly got her like fully ridiculed, like Saturday Night Live sketches like the worst. I mean, like John Goodman played her in a Saturday Live sketch, like she did not get a good look out of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we're talking Washington politics and how to go up the ladder, I don't think revealing affairs is the way to do it.
Speaker 1: No one really wants that because they're all cheating on their wives.
Speaker 2: So like, well, you know what I mean, Like for her to be like this will get me in with the guys is like really so stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think she she might have thought that, like you know, like she might have been a Republican and been like, get Bill Clinton out of here. I mean, like my parents hated Bill Clinton, you know, and so like maybe she was like from that camp and was like, get this guy out of here. He's a piece of trash. But I think, honestly, when don't you boil it down, she did it all for attention?
Speaker 4: Fuck changed.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess Monica's a good friend.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: The other time I remember, come on, r Dress was the movie The Sweetest Thing? Is that Something That's important to you?
Speaker 1: No? That movie?
Speaker 2: Really it's Cameron Diaz, Selma Blair and Christina Applegate and Camber Diaz has so much come work in her repertoire, like the something about Harry. Yes, that's another thing I didn't get that as a kid, I had no idea what was going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, why does her hair look so wacky?
Speaker 4: I'm like, what were you doing in there?
Speaker 1: I was a little bit older than you when that. I'm always a little bit older than you, but I was older than you when that movie came out, So I got it. But that's so funny because you were probably like me watching Dirty Dancing, like what's happening?
Speaker 2: No, but there's a whole dance number after Somema Blair has like jizz on the dress. They all meet it at this Chinese restaurant and they sing a song called It's Too Big to Fit in Here, like a full musical number about a big dick in a Chinese restaurant. But some versions the song isn't in it, so you have to like find the right version with the song. But it is crazy. They're all like doing solos. It's wild. That's insane. Oh my gosh, it's a really fun movie. We should watch it, Yeah, we should. It's really a fun Maybe we know we have a frozen pizza left that Casey got us for last Christmas. Maybe we can, Oh, we do. She fucking had it with all her family. I haven't even had a piez.
Speaker 1: Let's have a little pizza party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or do we watch a horror movie in honor of Casey when they first came in?
Speaker 4: Are they still good? Of course it's frozen pizza.
Speaker 1: I guess so. No, they was good, especially like yeah, like in the oven where you put it right onto the thing so that it's crispy on the bottom, Like you don't put it on a pan. You put it right onto the grate.
Speaker 2: That's the whole point of having frozen pizza. It's like you keep it in there until you're so depressed and sad that you make it.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest, Lisa, he sent three. I just checked the other day. There's only one left, so I guess we ate two. Sorry, but you'll third one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I thought I only ate one and we had two left. But the last one's for you for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, and you have to watch movies that I make you watch. Maybe I'll make you watch The Human Centipede to punish you.
Speaker 1: No, no, please, Okay, So we got to talk to Abby.
Speaker 4: We're back.
Speaker 2: We went on a com dress tangent. We brought up the pizzas and.
Speaker 1: Now we're back and we have to talk to Abby without.
Speaker 2: The parents, and Rita is like, yeah, we're all aware. And so we're in the girl room and let's just say the housekeeper is dressed in chill clothing, which means this is some old money shit.
Speaker 4: Okay, she's wearing jeans and a little blue top.
Speaker 2: Abby explains she's known Chris for years and they're in drama club together, but not really friends, like he didn't notice her until a couple of weeks ago and started texting her, and she said it was flirty for sure. And Rita interrojects, we have the texts, and Abby says she sees him in school and they've communicated and say hi, but she she didn't know what else to do, and she's wiping away tears. The parents are with Careesy downstairs. The mom knew something was wrong because usually she comes home and wants to talk after going out, but she went straight to her room and Pillar is the savior who found the dress, and she's such a whore she knew immediately what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love like kids have stains on their clothes all the time. Pilar's like, this has come, Like this is fucking come.
Speaker 4: And after the mom asks about the dress.
Speaker 2: She shared what happened, and it cuts back to abby they were making. He asked to go somewhere private, and she's like, I liked him and I wanted him to like me. And Rita in a way we've never seen before, is like, that's normal. You can want to kiss a boy, it doesn't mean you want more. So he took her to the school darkroom, and that's where people go to hook up. So I guess people just go to this dark room to hook up in school hours, like this school is wild, and he puts his hands under her dress. She said she got nervous, and Benson's like, what did you say? Did you say stop? She goes yes, and he didn't listen, and he pushed me against a wall and she felt him get excited and pulled down her underwear but so use his fingers, but he was so young. He tried to rape her and was grinding on her and she couldn't move or speak, So I guess she didn't say no, but she certainly didn't say yes, and it wasn't really getting in and he kept saying she was so hot, and then he came on her dress, so she doesn't understand why Chris would do that to her.
Speaker 4: So we have to go talk to Chris. And he's old money too.
Speaker 2: There's big leather chairs, there's a library, and he says, I mean, we visited one of your friends mom homes in Boston, and let me tell you that little library with leather chairs they had.
Speaker 4: That was a dream. That was a dream.
Speaker 1: I well that that family is connected to the true crime. They'll come up later, this true crime. Are you kidding me? Yeah, not not directly connected, but I'll let you know.
Speaker 4: What are the chances that I would bring them up.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I this this house has so many sitting areas, but the leather. I just I think I want an old timey library with leather chairs, I really do. It's not gonna match the rest of my dream home in my mind, but yeah, it's gonna have.
Speaker 1: A little dark corner, a little like chowchkeys, a corn stool, like cool, all this cool like modern shit. And then it's like this old ass leather book reading room. I agree.
Speaker 2: It's just like sexy to me, Like I just love the idea of curling up in a big leather, dark chair.
Speaker 4: Those green lamps and like, I just like it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, and I'm sure it's SVU influenced, to be honest. So he says her and Abby are friends and they went to the dance together, and Dods and Finn are like, so, tell us what happened. And the mom is like, well, what exactly is she saying that happen? And this bitch you're gonna hate throughout the whole episode, like she is what is wrong with like womanhood in the world.
Speaker 4: Like this character, this mom.
Speaker 2: So they're like, we want to hear your son's side, And there's a white haired dad with a tie and he goes sides he hasn't done anything wrong, and it's like you don't even fucking know.
Speaker 1: You don't know he.
Speaker 2: Could have truly buried a body and evidence everywhere, Like you have no idea?
Speaker 4: Why are you slightly saying he did nothing wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's this like hashtag boy mom, like my son can do no wrong. Shit where It's like, I know my son didn't do anything wrong. It's like, have you ever sat down and had a conversation with your son about consent? Because I bet you you definitely haven't, Like you know, what I mean, But I just know in my heart of hearts, there's no way he did anything wrong. Like, how do you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like your husband's an asshole. What makes you think your son's not gonna be a dick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a good person. I've shoplifted, I've done, I've done you know, like I've done bad things. It doesn't mean you're a bad person.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the detectives are like, well, there's no harm in telling us about it. Then if he's done nothing wrong, So he talks. He says him and Abby were dancing, they made out a little and she was into it, and Finn goes anything else. He brings up the dark room, which is code for and he won't even say it, but they were fooling around, and it's like, if you can't even say out loud that it's like a room for fucking, maybe you shouldn't be fucking. Detectives say that something happened that she did not want to happen. Then the mom is like, wait, is this girl making a rape allegation?
Speaker 4: And he is like that is so not true. We didn't even have sex.
Speaker 2: And they're like, okay, well, then give us a DNA sample and the dad gets so fucking cocky and says, do you have a warrant? And Finn takes it out of his pocket. Yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: I mean I that was the best. The mom's like, oh my god, fuck.
Speaker 2: And then it's hitting them that this is real, like real, and the dad said, you should have told us. We're calling a lawyer, and the boys like, nothing happen, and ma, the mom is like, like, Kara said, such a boy. Mom and says, I know how girls are. And she overheard her daughter and her friends talking about how they would accuse a boy of rape if he didn't call them back. And it's like, well, if your daughter is such a shitty person, why do you think your son isn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't get it. You obviously aren't doing a good job raising your children. Dodds, I'll tea then. I know. I'm not like a I'm not like as young maybe as the kids in this, but like, I've never in my life had that conversation with someone. I've never heard somebody be like I'm just gonna cry rape and see what happened, you know, like never in my life. Never.
Speaker 4: Dodds doesn't bite.
Speaker 2: He says, well, we have a worm for the DNA, so let's start there and then we can take them down to the station if you want, Like, what's your call?
Speaker 4: The boy starts to finally look worried.
Speaker 2: Benson is in a powder blue jacket and is like, fill me in, guys, and we're at the priestinct. Dodds is like he's privileged but not arrogant, and obviously baby Dodds has been on the podcast We Love Andy Carl. The eyebrows are crazy, they are they are silly eyebrows.
Speaker 4: And I can't look at anything else.
Speaker 2: And then his dad is the opposite style of brow, like this guy is very early two thousands.
Speaker 4: I've overplucked.
Speaker 1: And then the dad is like, I have five sets of eyebrows per eyebrow, and I don't know how they're in one family, and we're all rebelling against our parents in some way, right, Yeah, that's how he was, like, you know what, I'm not gonna have bushy brows like Sandy Cohen. I'm gonna fucking weed these babies.
Speaker 2: So this boy has no record and he's waiting on early decision from Stanford and seems genuinely surprised. By the allegation, so it's a walk and talk formation. Benson says, well, sounds like a classic teen he said. She said, Dodds is like, are more like his parent versus her parents?
Speaker 4: Honestly.
Speaker 2: Benson gets a ping on her cellphone and he's like, wait, he put himself in the dark room with her, and they're like, yes, but said nothing really happened besides petting, and Benson says, well, he's lying.
Speaker 4: The jis is a match for Chris. That's what the phone was. The Jesus is a match.
Speaker 1: Put it on a T shirt.
Speaker 2: DoD still defends him, and then Cariese says, well, Chris posted photos on his social media with the hashtat picked that Cherry gross with a pick of them kissing, and it's you know, it's fronting on socials or did it happen? And the picks also look like she's not complaining, So all in all, it's messy for everybody. Benson wants to bring them all in violins play and we open on Benson near the vending machine with Rita Calhoun, who's like, hey, babe, heard there was a semen match. Arrest him, and Benson asks, where did you hear that from and she goes, I didn't, but you just confirmed it, Like Rita, I would hire her. I think I always changed my answer. But I think I'm hiring her. I think I'm hiring her. If I did it, I'm hiring her. On She's the best in the business to trick Benson like that, Like that's incredible. Benson's a noise and it's like, come on, Rita, you know you don't have all an all access pass here. And then Barba's here and he's waiting for Benson and he sees Rita and is like, oh, you're defending a little rape boy.
Speaker 4: And she's like, no, the girl.
Speaker 2: And he's like, oh, you take money from both sides. He says, never change, and I like love that, And she has a smirto like she likes that.
Speaker 4: And Barbara reminds.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, should we like start Barbara Marvel, I mean Barbara Calhoun? Should we start like Barhoon? Fan fiction like goes two getting together, just like Buck Powerhouse, Like they fight against each other in the courthouse and they go home and bang it out.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I bet I honestly, I'm seeing it. I needed a minute. But now I'm seeing it.
Speaker 2: They would have they would like be putting each other down intellectually the whole time too, maybe in a leather chair.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of you have been making us friendship bracelets and I'm obsessed. And someone gave me a LOOKI lou one both of us.
Speaker 1: And I went, oh my god, how did you know? This is amazing? And she's like, you begged for it on the podcast, I got it, got it.
Speaker 4: But I'm wearing it right now.
Speaker 1: I love them, and I have a shout out to where Toronto is where we got a big bunch of them.
Speaker 2: Right well, there was a girl who made one hundred and three bracelets, so then she ended up giving it to a lot of people sitting next to her too, So it was really in the spirit of Taylor and I loved it.
Speaker 1: And the one of my favorites is ones that says Mother's Juice, which if you will recall, is from our very first episode Bully, and is such a deep cut and so genius, Like I need some of you to be in the room when we're trying to come up with merch ideas, because you're all very smart and funny, but.
Speaker 2: You pay attention to detail well, because you remember more because you're listening because a lot like sometimes people will be like, oh and then you said this, and I'm like when where Yeah, I have what was the contak so much on a given week?
Speaker 1: It really is so much. So Barbara, bar oh my god, I did it.
Speaker 2: So Barbara reminds her, oh my god. And we have to mention the Minneapolis T shirts where it said Barbara or Barbara with an art crossed out and then below it said Stabler with a bee crossed out with a P next to it. So it was like, Barbara, Yeah, the creativity, I I it's just incredible. So I mean, do we mention the wildest thing that we got. It was a paper a brown paper evidence bag in Minnesota. You open it, there's a white little rag.
Speaker 1: You open it, it is a bowl for weed that is ceramic shaped like a pinky for Martha plimpton sister's pinky yes from the episode Denial where she's carrying around her little sister's pink finger in her bag.
Speaker 2: And then you check the evidence bag and the information is all fully written out like the victims everything.
Speaker 1: And she made me a mug that was a dick and a wolf and a baby. Because Lisa got to keep the finger bowl, so I got the cool mug.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got the thing.
Speaker 1: The girl poked out of that finger bowl and it works great.
Speaker 2: It saved our lives because in Salt Lake City someone gave us weed. I ran out of all my joints, and I'm always trying to actively quit, so I'm always like, oh, yeah, i'll finish, I'll finish the joint. I'll be fine. And then I get so stressed. And we only had like weed with no bowl. And then this pinky bowl came into our lives and it's like we are witches, we manifest. There's actually a tailor thing now where they call her a sorcerer and like because in Argentina she was singing and then a lyric about a plane and then a plane truly went.
Speaker 1: By wow, and she wrote a plane in the sky as you're singing the lyric that is wild, Like you should watch it, you should watch it.
Speaker 4: Go fuck yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm the mark. I don't give a shit. I called her our, you know, my best friend. I was like, she goes, whatever you doing. I'm like, honestly just fantasizing about like Travis and Taylor. I can't think about anything else. My life is a mess. It's taken over. And she goes, it's not real and you're an idiot, and I'm like, I don't I'd rather be an idiot. She goes, I could care less about this, and then she said, oh yay, I got all my cool, all my fans are now spending all their money on football.
Speaker 4: That's where it should go.
Speaker 2: Gurlees by Chief Skier and then like the name of the team is so fucked too, It's like.
Speaker 1: It could be all fake.
Speaker 2: I mean the concert, like it's all I've I'm this is old, this is coming out.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: So Barbara reminds her like, babe, you know you can't be privy to this info at either. That was a stutter, and so then Buchanan walks in, oh god, these are some heavy hitters.
Speaker 4: Going up like this is not good.
Speaker 2: He's defending the boy and he's like, oh, rita, baby girl, I'm alone this time. It was really fun working with you last time. And she goes, no, I'm actually just with the girl, and he goes, E gross victim advocacy that can't pay well, and she goes it's pro bo.
Speaker 1: No, not all of us have to worry about our next meal. And then she looks him up and down. Definitely a fat shame, I know, but he deserves it. And that was hot. That was fun. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's like so real housewives. And Barba's like, wow, getting personal. I love it. Benson says, Rita was just leaving, and then Rita's like, I'll be down the block. I'm waiting for you, and Buchanan goes, don't worry, this won't take long. Twenty minutes in and you will realize you have no case, and he skips off. So the whole family is in the cement room bars with Buchanan, who's like, listen, guys, he is not experienced and he just early, so nothing happened and they're like, well, not according to Instagram, and the dad goes, well, he was just trying to impress his friends. And all the adults are talking and the teen boys against the wall like in a music video, very in sync, like he's just really pining, and they're like, listen, boy, why would she accuse you of rape? And Buchanan's like, well, why would he know that? And the mom goes, the girl is obviously lying, and Finn is like, well, why don't we let Chris talk, and Buchanan goes, I'm here to talk for him, thank you very much. Chris is shocked and him and Abby are friends, and he pops out with his phone and says, look, Abby still thinks we are And there are text messages that are damning. She legit wrote. I don't know why this is happening. I like you, I hope you're not mad at me. See she's fine. So the spy room crew is like, this is not good. So Barbara runs off and says, call your friend.
Speaker 4: Calhoun.
Speaker 2: Benson's like, I mean, she's not my friend. You know, they're also professional. I guess that's why I like all this shade and ribbing. It's like, you know, it makes them more human, like they actually are people that are working together all the time. And so the Chris crew is well, and this is oh yeah, never mind. So the Chris crew is walking outside the station steps and the mom chuckles and says, damn. I never thought i'd say thank God for texting, And the dad is like, I'm tempted to send that girl's family my legal bill and Barbara walks in and has words with Buchanan, and he says, I assume this is the last we'll be talking on this manner, and Barba says, like, just we will be in touch, and Buchanan smiles. Rita's they're waiting for him, and Barba's like, Babe, we have a problem. She's like, nuhuh, we're on and it's nothing that hasn't happened before. And Barba's like, yes, but if you were that boy's attorney, you would be ripping her to shreds.
Speaker 4: And they argue about the.
Speaker 2: Text and her disposition and go back and forth, like she answered the text and she did not start any of them.
Speaker 4: And it's because like what do you do? Do you unfriend? Do you block?
Speaker 2: Like there's school, there's a lot of layers, and like I hate that we ignore all the nuanced and all the stuff in your brain when something traumatic happens to you and use it against the person.
Speaker 4: And it really bothers me.
Speaker 2: And I really love what they said in the cement room where it was like, well, why do you think she thinks she was raped them?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like you are like if everything was like peachy, like what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: And Barbara like, I don't want to say that this kid should get away with anything, but it didn't really feel like anybody spoke to the daughter about like is this what you want to do? Do you want to like take this to court? Do you want because when she's saying something like to him, I don't know why this is happening. I feel like it's because she feels like her parents and the other parents have just sort of like swept up and taken over this whole thing, and it's just happened so fast she hasn't had time to process, and like a ton of victims, you mean, like the Romeo and Juliet's families. Oh interesting. Barbara's like I get it. But the jury and she's like, he fucking raped her. And then it's like, have you talked to any of her friends or anyone else at the dance? So finally they talked to the classmates. It's really wild they haven't before.
Speaker 2: So they go to the slut and she's like, everyone knows the dark room is where you have sex. Once you go down there, you can't change your mind. And this is like the mom at a younger age, like they're the same person. Yeah, and Caresee's there to be like, actually you can Daniella at any time, and she's like, well maybe, but Abby didn't. And she's like are you obsessed with Chris? Like what the fuck is going on? So Carisy asked, do you think she's lying? And she's like, I don't know, but she could just be mad that Chris didn't ask her out. Again, Finn and Dodds are on.
Speaker 1: The football field and all the football.
Speaker 2: Players think this is unfair and that she was asking for it, and he doesn't want to bad mouth her, but she's just trying to get attention. One of the footballers walk away, but they follow like why are you walking away?
Speaker 4: Did you go down there too?
Speaker 2: And Dodds is like, you know, she's only fifteen and you're eighteen, and he's like, whoa, I did not touch her, and Dodds goes, but Chris did, so tell us what you know or we're calling your parents, and then Finn threatens to call Notre Dame and so he agrees to talk.
Speaker 4: Chris needed a name on his list.
Speaker 1: What list?
Speaker 2: So there's a secret society of seniors and it's a Latin name but translated it's called the Cherry Pickers Club and it's a competition to see how many virgins you can bang. And everyone had a name on the list except for Chris. And that's the thing. And like this kind of conversation really happened for me a lot after the Azaz article came out years ago, where it's like, but that's not and this and that, and it's like, honestly, if we're not even thinking rape or not, like just this idea alone, and this is the framework you think of sex and women and how they're included in the conversation of sex is already like rape adjacent, you know what I mean, Like your plan is just a mass virgins and bang them without any regard for them as humans and to trick them into doing so. Like I don't understand why that is not unethical, Like why guys don't see like that is wrong? Or some of these women like Daniella and the blonde mom. I guess they're both blonde moms.
Speaker 1: But well, I mean it's yeah, it's toxic masculinity and it's like, you know, misogyny that's like fully baked in. Yeah, the girls have it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you're not treating women as people at all but objects for a thing like your goal, and then all these women are having these experiences being like fuck, like this sucks, and then when you talk about it, it's like no one broke the law, and it's like, okay, but we're.
Speaker 1: Not talking about do you want to talk to your son about the fact that he like has a list? And like, you know this gets this is so this episode is so close to the real case. I really can't wait to tell you, Okay, I'll.
Speaker 4: Try to be faster.
Speaker 2: And so because I am, I can't believe I it might be like that we know, you know, when you're we're connected a little bit. Not that I was happy that a mass murderer came through Stokey, but it did feel, you know that I got to talk about something I remember from my childhood. And it's a competition to see how many virgins you can bang. We discussed that, and so everyone had a name on the list except for Chris Done Done. So it's behind a O'Neal style portrait and it's all written in marker and penn straight on the wall.
Speaker 4: So I'm sure the school knows about it too.
Speaker 2: So there's just so much evidence, and Chris only has one name listed and it's Abby and it's there, so he can't deny anything. So Barbara and Benson are having a work session and they're like, damn, he did this to get his name on a wall.
Speaker 4: This is so fucked up. And this is also his friend.
Speaker 2: This isn't a stranger, this is someone he says that he is friends with. That is how little regard he has for her as a human and still believes he's done nothing wrong. Chrisy is not using the list as evidence since it's out, like it outs to a lot of teenagers, and they don't want the list to go public.
Speaker 4: So now they're in fighting.
Speaker 2: They're all disagreeing about like should they should they expose the list?
Speaker 4: Should they not?
Speaker 2: And basically they're like, he didn't think he did anything wrong when we got there, and Benson's like, he lied to your fucking faces and you're stupid, and Dodds leans in and says, well, she lied too when we asked about her texting him, and so they're both kind of lying, and so what do we do now. Benson thinks the kid is good for it, but the trial might be hard, so maybe let's sit both families down and try to figure out a plea. The girl's mom is not into it. Barbara wants sexual misconduct, no jail time, but his name's on the registry.
Speaker 4: And so while the adults are.
Speaker 2: Discussing it, Abby sneaks down the stairs to listen, and the dad says, he raped my daughter and he should go to prison, and Barbara goes, we're all upset about what happened to Abby, but putting her on the stand and going through a trial might not get us the conviction we want. And Rita goes, and that's a good point, because the press is going to be all over this. Abby hops out from spying and goes the press. Everybody at school's whispering about me, laughing at me, like my life is over. Everyone hates me. I wish I never said anything, and she runs up the stairs. The mom goes to Barbara and he says sorry as she glares at him, and he says, this is all I could do. Rita says, we'll take the misconduct, but he better go on the registry. So obviously, the boy's parents are like, no registry, no deal, no offer, like there's nothing, and Barbara goes that's the best deal I can do. Your son would avoid publicity and a trial. And the mom has a good point that he will be put on a list of piles and rapists, So like, I don't you know, there's not a she doesn't see a good option for her, and then she goes, well what about college? And it's like, I don't know what about Abby's college? What about Abby's how she's going to be doing because she just got raped by someone that she thought was a friend and was excited that he liked her, and now she has to go her whole life being traumatized by this moment. And we're worried about his college cool and Buchanan's all about Stanford and also I guess you can't have a smartphone and if you're on the registry, which I did not know about, and I didn't know that would that would complicate life? That was that still a thing? I don't think they would make that up. But I guess this is from like five six years ago. But not like not having maps, not having all these things, like that's right, like I'm thinking maps.
Speaker 1: Truly, there are so many things now that like there are so many things where it's like you have to download the app. It depends on the conditions of your probation or supervisor released. Sometimes you are permitted to have a cell phone, but you were quite required to install monitoring sof so that your agent can be aware if you're accessing social networking, pornography, et cetera. That's according to this website called AVO.
Speaker 4: Like my very.
Speaker 1: First Google result, Yeah, but why and I think it's state to state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that would change your life drastically, and that's embarrassing to have to admit, but your life would be very different.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the parents are like, we'd consider endangering the welfare of a child, and Barba goes registry or nothing. Buchanan goes, come on, we know what this was. It's a misunderstanding. Take a drink, take a hit, hit your kid, no JK.
Speaker 1: I was like, what can you do?
Speaker 2: That's not a substance if you're sober, And then for some reason that came out of my mouth.
Speaker 4: But I regret it. You know, have a lick of sugar.
Speaker 2: Barba's like, straight up, she is fifteen, so that is automatically misconduct. Buchanan brings up Romeo and Juliet exception. Not if you forced her. So Buchanan goes, that's just what she said after the fact. Well, yeah, you can't say it during the fact, like if it's happened, like of course you say it after Barbara's overrant is like, whatever, I've offered you no prison time If you say no, your son is convicted.
Speaker 4: That's what he's looking at.
Speaker 2: And the mom screams, but he didn't do anything wrong, and Barba says, Chris, is this what you want to go to trial? He's like, fuck, and everyone's gonna know who I am. And Barbara goes, as soon as you're arrested and charged, your name goes public and any time anyone googles you for the rest of your life, this is what will come up. The dad says, don't threaten my son, and this girl is slandering him and we need to fight this. Chris seems stressed, so he asks what if he says sorry to Abby and her family and the parents scream at him. They're like, you have nothing to be sorry for, and this is again a great episode about psycho boy moms. So they leave. Christiem's conflicted. Buchanan says, we caught onto your bluff and if you still want to go to trial, you're gonna fucking regret it.
Speaker 4: So we're in trial.
Speaker 2: He's charged with one count of attempted rape and two counts of sexual misconduct forcible touching. Barbara wants bail to be a million dollars. Buchanan wants him released, So the bail is half a million. Listen, he's uh, he's an abuser, but like that's a lot of money. Yeah, Cuz like, yeah, yeah, half a million.
Speaker 4: We've seen killers get less than that, right, right.
Speaker 2: Dodds and Benson catch up in the streets and she says how it supports the victims to see the detectives in the galley. He says about the victim, I'm sorry I brought it up in front of everybody, like because he kept defending the boy. And she says, don't but it's not you know, don't be sorry. It's not a problem, like you know, and he keeps talking. Benson face looks annoyed as hell. He's like, they just both seem like really good kids who don't know what happened down there. Benson says he might not realize what he did was a sexual assault, but Abby did not make this up. She is not a manipulative girl, but he's not a predator, dodd says, and Benson's like, listen, the trial isn't our call. It wasn't and then Dodds brings up the point that you did it wasn't.
Speaker 4: There's either.
Speaker 2: So the rape family in Buchanan arrive in court and they scoff at the detectives. They put Chris in good boy glasses, slipped back hair, and DoD says they made him look like Harry Potter and Benson calls it the nerd defense.
Speaker 4: So we're in court.
Speaker 2: Barbara is starting off with a remote in hand, going through all the texts that was being sent back and forth. So the boy texts had a great time, you know, okay, and then the text.
Speaker 1: That happened a week later about like I don't want any.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm sorry, don't be mad at me.
Speaker 2: And he turns with this info and Benson's on the stand, and so I really like that he's kind of taking anything that the defense is going to bring up and bringing it up to Benson right now, so it doesn't seem like they're hiding anything, and I like that.
Speaker 4: So he says, with all your experience.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen this kind of communication before between young victims and assailants and she says, yes, it's way more common than not. Teenagers have imperfect judgment and to be a young naive girl like you don't want to be circled out by your peers fear of blowback, and you know teens have a lot of feelings. She says yes, and Abby is super shy. She has trouble speaking up for herself, and like maybe teen predators wouldn't go like.
Speaker 4: After more assertive victims.
Speaker 2: And then he's like, Abby didn't file a police report right away? How unusual is that? Benson says, it's not unusual at all. It happens all the times. Like they're trying to like figure out what happened. And so now it's Buchanan's turn. So she says again, how victims wait to report to police? And he said, no, she didn't wait to talk to police. She waited to talk to you, right The local priestinct chose not to pursue because she answers, they are not properly trained. That's why we have an SVU to begin with, and he goes, yep, were you believe people with personality flaws are more likely to be targeted, and she's like, that is not what I said. He's like, did you not just say that a more assertive girl would not have been targeted? Are you blaming the victim? And she's like, motherfucker, you are twisting my words. It is never the victim's fault. And Buchanan grins and says, wait, so there is nothing that an accuser can do that would contribute to the situation. If she's texting and going to private area and doing foreplay, yeah, so none of that matters. But sure, I'll withdraw and sit down. And he's really proud of what he's done there, and Barbara looks pissed. So now Caresee's on the stand. He's there to talk about the secret society that's goal is to de flower virgins, the Cherry Pickers Club, And he wrote down Abby's names, So how do you say you didn't do it when you wrote it and then you bragged on social media. So Buchanan's there being like, teens have poor judgment. Didn't we agree on that?
Speaker 1: And do we also agree that boy teens lie about sexual conquests that aren't true? And Caresee's like, are you asking me here if your client is a liar? That is good, Like there's a lot of good burns and back and forth in this episode. I really love that future eighty A. I feel like that's that's where the nugget the last. He also plays to the jury so hard. He's like, no, no, they didn't and like looks right at the jurors like he's like really driving his points home.
Speaker 2: And then Buchanan's like, come on, you know, I'm asking if he he's a teenager who is being pressured to claim he's scored, and Crisy is caught and he has to say yes. So Barba redirects, when you first talked with Chris, did he lie to you? Andchrisye says yep, you flat out tonight having any sexual contact with Abby. And only when we found and matched his DNA did he admit the truth. And Buchanan's like, no, he was always maintained it was mutual and consensual, and Barba's like, except that he was lying about it. So the judge sopranos sister is like, spare us with the grand standing gentleman. She says, they both need to calm down and they'll resume after lunch, and so then the next witness is Abby Stewart. Chris looks down and in the bathroom, Rita is making Abby take off her makeup and she's like, then I'll look like a little girl. And they're like, yeah, they're making him look like a saint, so you can't look like a sinner. And uh oh, Chris's mom walks in and they ask her, like, give us a moment. She goes, I'm just here to wash my hands. Has that ever happened to you? Like, have you ever ever gone into a bathroom to just wash your hands unless you were truly playing with slime or like a baby sneezed on you. So like, I don't understand what got so dusty in the courtroom or maybe before lunch.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I think she's totally lying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but people, oh yeah, so everyone that does that is lying. Okay, got a guy, ye, So and this bitch starts talking to Abby and they're like, did they tell you that Stanford requested Chris withdraw his application. Rita says this isn't the time, and they all go to quickly leave, and the bitch grabs Abby and says, don't you get it, you are ruining my son's life. Benson shoves her off gently, like, hey, you need to stop talking. And to me, I'm like, arrest that cut. Like there needs to be some sort of law of intimidating the witness, Like there needs to be something that what she is doing is not okay. She says, Oh a woman, cop, I bet you always take the girl's side. She is vile daughter too. Yeah, but she doesn't like her daughter. She hates herself and she hates women and shades her daughter. She thinks her daughter is a lying slut with all of her daughter friends, like this woman would make a killing on Instagram right now, she can join all the little right way, like her and Candae Owens would be at the beach together like talking shit. Yeah, it's just so sad. It is so sad and disgusting. So she goes this, the sweet little girl is the victim and the boy is made out to be a brute, and she screams teenage girls are better liars and runs off. And I bet she loved Brett Kavanaugh. Oh, I bet she was one of the yeah Kavanaugh's in her spank bank. This woman for sure. Yeah, she fucking hated Blasi Ford, and so yeah, her and Camille Grammar they can go to fucking Cantcuon together too and get eaten by a fucking shark and even the shark would spit them out because they would taste so bitter and disgusting. And Abby's on the stand, she's barely able to function. She starts with, like, emotion, we made out, lent downstairs to the dark room. All of that was agreed to and willingly. She said she liked kissing. But then what happened? She says, he got aggressive, put his hands under my dress, put my you know, his finger inside me, and she's like, I did not agree to that, and that she told to slow down, she did not want to be touched down there, and that did not stop him, and he pushed up against her and tried to fuck but it kept just rubbing against her and he came on her dress. And Ben's not funny, but it's just I just love the idea of like trying to assault someone and you can't even put it in like this.
Speaker 1: Is also like what I don't get about these like grown women that are like fucking their students like this is it? Like this is what you're Oh, I just like, can't wait to get a guy that lasts three seconds.
Speaker 2: Like Benson's listening and looks down at the part and she just feels really pained for the girl. Barbara asks if this is what she wanted. She says, no, he was hurting me and I've never had sex with anyone before, and I know that's not how I wanted it to be. He's like, but you text it back and she says, yeah. I was humiliated, but eventually told her mom the truth and the cops sucked when they went down there and she told them they had been raped and the cops were awful, and Barba sits down as she wipes away her tears. The defense daddy is a bitch from the start. Sorry, you had a regrettable experience, Abby, And then he's being fake nice to her, which bothers me even more. It's like, at least just be a dick, how you are? I hate this little game that he's doing. Is it fair to say you had a crush on him? She says, I guess were you flattered when he texted you? She says yes, and he goes, yep, and he must have been a nice guy.
Speaker 1: Since you went down to the dark room with him. She's like, yeah, I thought he was nice.
Speaker 2: I thought we were just going to go down there to kiss and you mean like this, And then of course he shows the photos of them kissing and being like sluttie and he says, you don't have to be ashamed. I have a daughter who likes to go to dances too. That's a great fucking line.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a good This is really like Rita and Buchanan.
Speaker 4: They're so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, friend of the pod, Friend of the pod, Delaney and Barbara is like, where is the fucking question? And he pushes, like this okay, So then he pushes. He goes, was this your first date? It was and you really wanted.
Speaker 4: Him to like you.
Speaker 2: Maybe you were nervous, She says a little, and he goes, I'm sure you know you were nervous.
Speaker 4: It was loud. You like this boy, there's a lot going on.
Speaker 2: Is it possible that you got overwhelmed and that's why you didn't know what you wanted and you never said no? She says, I didn't say no, but I told him not to go down there. And Buchanan's like, down where down on the floor in the basement and he's acting dumb and she says I wasn't into it, and he's like into what. She says sex and he goes, but did you say sex? And I hate him? And Chris is looking really embarrassed, and Buchanan talks about mind reading and texting and you didn't even know you were raped for four days and he keeps going and it's like, ask a fucking question, and he's like, how did we get here? She says, I know. I didn't want that to happen to me. She leans in to him as she says it like very powerful and strong, and he goes, okay, but did Chris know? And she says I think and he says that's a lot of thinking you're doing. She's crying. He goes nothing further. He walks off. Her parents look sad. His parents look happy. The mom is sedistant. This actress is a queen. She's like happy to see this girl cry. She is smirking. It is evil and the adult Posse and Abby run out and she's like fuck, and Barbara goes, don't worry.
Speaker 4: He's a trickster. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: And the dad's like, you should have protected her more and Rita says, don't worry, the worst is over, and she turns around and screams, no, it's not. So she goes, he's gonna testify and tell lies about me, and they run off. Barbara has to nail this Chris moment, so Little Glasses boys on the stand and starts the same way in.
Speaker 4: The dark room.
Speaker 1: He kept asking if what he was doing was okay, and she didn't say.
Speaker 4: No, he's a liar. We watched what happened.
Speaker 2: He did not once ask her how she was doing, Like, he is a fucking liar. I can't we saw it. You did not ask her? He said, you know, it was just fingers and I came early. No sex happened. But when you went home, how did you feel the night went? And he said good, and I didn't think anything was wrong and he couldn't even tell that she was upset. But did you care? So anyways, but you're a liar and you lied twice. Why don't you tell us about the lies? So he admits that he lied to the police about no touching, and then he lied to his peers that he fucked.
Speaker 4: So he's just a straight up liar.
Speaker 1: You're like, you're lying to your friends and the cops about fucking her and not fucking her.
Speaker 4: So you're a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: You would actually belong in Stanford, honestly, he would do great there. So then he talks about the group hating women and he hates the club.
Speaker 2: He's like, the club sucks. They really hate women. I don't even want to be a part of it. But you know, he says, if I upset her, I'm sorry and wish things went differently. And and I know now that mixing alcohol and dating is a disaster and that clear communication is very important. I wonder how long it took him to memorize that little speech. Buchanan goes and sits down and says, wow, thanks for being so upfront.
Speaker 4: You have a lot of courage.
Speaker 2: It's Barbara's turn, and you know this little bitch is in trouble because he starts asking questions while he's sitting down. That means he's feeling good. So he says, you lied to police and to your friends. That's your story. He says, yes, and I'm ashamed of that. Barbara goes, so you lie to your friends because they made fun of you because you hadn't scored. He goes, I wouldn't call it that, and he's like, well, what would you call it?
Speaker 4: Cherry picking?
Speaker 2: Objected and then it's overruled immediately. It's the name of the club that he was in, and you're allowed to say it. He says, who cares what the club is called? All I know is I did nothing that Abby didn't want. So she went to the police and testified in the stand, was publicly humiliated and ostracized by her friends for something that she made up. He says, no, I mean she thinks she was raped. He stands up and is like, well, what does that tell you? And he's getting tripped up, and you know, like you can trip people up without being a dick like Buchanan, you know what I mean? Like Buchanan's just so show body in his ass wholeness. The lawyer tries to help with another objection. The judges like, please stop. He's like, she didn't say no? Did she not say it? Or did you not hear it? Barba asks did you even ask her? Did you even ever hear a yes, but doesn't give him time to answer, and Barbara goes, no, because you didn't even ask her, Because your only concern was getting what you wanted scoring making it up on that wall. Well, congratulations, you made it. And he's in his face by this point, and Benson nods in the stand and Barba sits down. Buchanda looks at the parents like we're in trouble. Barbara's grabbing a snack at the office and Benson comes in. It looks like banana bread to me. Benson comes in and thanks him for such a good cross and is like, no matter what the jury decides, you did your job.
Speaker 4: He goes, did I It was always.
Speaker 2: A murky case and she's like, exactly, those are the ones we need to fight. We need new rules and that's like my I love that, saying always like stop trying to like we don't want to fit into this the rules that have been set up, like it only needs to be fucking crushed. So Barba is being annoying and thinks that we need to leave teens alone, and then Benson reminds him like California passed the affirmative consent law, and he's like, we will see how long that lasts, and she says, well, something needs to change. Teen boys, even in college, don't know what makes rape so let's make the lines clearer.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Like, if this whole thing is like we don't know, then why are we not teaching like consent more and more aggressively constantly, If like, boys are so dumb they can't understand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you're smart enough to.
Speaker 1: Get into Stamford, but you're not start enough to know that a girl who's passed out behind a dumpster doesn't want a glass bottle inside of herself. Like that's what I don't understand. Yeah, knock, knock, The jury is in. We're in court. The verdict has been reached.
Speaker 2: Felony rape not guilty, misdemeanor count a forcible touching not guilty, and the mom smiles so big. Abby looks shocked and horrified to the defense area. And then misdemeanor count of sexual misconduct guilty.
Speaker 4: Thank fucking god.
Speaker 1: You can stop smiling now, you dumb hunt And so the gavel bangs.
Speaker 4: The dad yells, I hope you're happy. Look what you did to my son.
Speaker 2: Your son is a fucking rapist like this, it's so frustrating. Chris says Abby's name, and her mom yells, don't you even look at her? Abby, says I'm sorry, and the evil mom goes, oh, now you're sorry, and yeah, your son's going on the registry and you should have just taken the deal.
Speaker 4: This is not the time.
Speaker 2: And so the blonde bitch is like, your daughter knew exactly what she signed up for being comed on by my son prematurely. Abby's dad yells, we all know what your son is and now he's on the registry and everyone will know.
Speaker 4: Benson separates the parents. The music plays.
Speaker 2: Benson is left panting after separating the people, and that's dick wolf.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, wow, a really enraging good episode. But everyone, good episode and lots of sass and like comebacks, and I just I really liked it and I can't wait to hear about this crime. So let's get these ads going, Baby, listen to our ads and we'll be right back. Okay, so are you familiar with this crime? Do you know anything about this? Have you heard of it? Like when you watch this episode? Okay, when I watched this episode, I knew exactly what it was about.
Speaker 4: Well that's because you're a New England girl.
Speaker 1: Now that I see what's happening in your notes, I yeah, you know a lot of New England stuff. Yes, yes, So this is based on a crime that took place at Saint Paul's School in Conquered Newhampshire. This is a co ed boarding school. It's very elite, one of the best. According to Wikipedia, the annual twistion is sixty two thousand. I have many, many friends who have gone to this school. One of my dearest friends works there right now, So I, you know, go Saint Paul's. I've known a lot about it for a long time because I've known a lot of people have gone there, but I've never actually like set foot on the campus. But this was a big thing that happened in twenty fourteen. I was living in New York. I remember reading all about it. But I will say that most of my friends that graduated from there are like your age, so they were long gone when this incident took place. But I got some intel. So in twenty fourteen. I'm going to call it an incident at the beginning because I'm just like painting a picture of the story. But I want everyone to know that I agree a crime took place. So an incident took place between eighteen year old senior Owen LaBrie and fifteen year old freshman Chessie Prout. I hope that's how you say her name. It's like Trout with a P, contrary to what we might assume in a case like this, and because like in the episode it was this way, Owen LaBrie was not some urban rich kid like coasting off his parents' money and status. He actually was from rural Vermont. His parents had a bitter divorce and custody battle over him, and he went to Saint Paul's on a scholarship. So he was the captain of the soccer team and had gotten full rides to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Duke, Stanford, Middlebury, and UVA. That is wild. I don't think I went to school with some really smart kids, and I don't remember anybody getting into that many fucking ivs and like top top schools, and this kid one of those hides. Yeah yeah, he like, you know, looked like a kid that just sort of like had genius and was also amazing at sports. So you know, he won the Headmaster's Award for quote selfless devotion to school activities, and essentially what happened was he got recruited to this school as a sophomore for soccer, and then they had him repeat the grade. And this happens all the time in sports at it happens all the time in boarding schools, but also colleges and stuff. And the result of this is a lot of eighteen and nineteen year old seniors going to school with fourteen year old freshmen, you know. So it's like a big age disparity on a campus where kids in this episode, obviously they're in a New York City private school, this is boarding, Like they're all sleeping at school, you know. So it appears from everything I've read that LaBrie was hyper competitive and always kind of trying to prove himself to his rich, privileged friends. You know.
Speaker 2: Question, do the teachers sleep at the school too? Or they go home? It depends.
Speaker 1: I think most of the teachers live locally, like well, you know, but like I have had friends, I have friends who work at boarding schools and they live on the campus in a house and that's part of their compensation, is like that they get a house on the campus.
Speaker 3: Wo.
Speaker 1: So it depends. So CHESSI Prout, the victim was a second generation Saint Paul's student. She was raised in Japan with her family because her father was a very successful, like international businessman, like doing finance. So she knew LaBrie a little bit because he'd had a brief relationship with her older sister, also an Saint Paul's student, and the sister had said, stay away from this guy. Okay, no one likes to listen to their older sister. It's very what's the movie you made me watch? Ten Things I Hate About You? So on May thirtieth of twenty fourteen, LaBrie steals a key to a mechanical room in the school. He brings a blanket, and he arranges to meet up with Chessie prout there where they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Which is already a red flag, like you've dated the sister and you're going for the younger sister like you're a free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally, and they're gonna go hook up, hang out whatever. And a lot of my source comes from this very in depth Vanity Fair article that I read about it that it will be in my sources, and like you know, according to this article, basically what I just told you that on May thirtieth, they went to a mechanical room together. That's like where they both agree on the story and then the rest of it completely diverges. What I've read in another publication was that she admitted to like shaving her pubic hair in advance of the encounter and her best friend. This is probably where they got the character of Daniella from the episode. Her breast friend told police, Oh, yeah, like she was down to get fingered, give him a blowjob, like and the girl later said the victim later was like, I don't remember saying any of that, but the best friend told police that. So she was like willing to like just tell them like what her best friend said about things she may or may not even be willing to do in the room. It's like different what you tell your friends you'd be down to do, you know. And so she testified that just like in the episode, the kissing was exciting. She was having fun. She even helped him, like they were making out against the wall, they went down to the ground. She even like lifted up her hips so that he could take off her shorts. And then when he tried to take off her bron underwear, she said she said no three times and he said her underwear state on the whole time She remembers holding onto her underwear tightly with both hands, like that should just tell you your partner in this encounter is not having a good time, that they're clinging to their underwear as like a barrier to you not doing anything. And it's kind of in the episode.
Speaker 2: So you're smart enough to get into all these schools, but you can't understand that that's a sign of I'm not into this like it or do you not want to know?
Speaker 4: It's just it's so infuriating it really.
Speaker 1: Well, we get into that a little bit too. So he told authorities her underwear state on the whole time. She remembers that he pulled it off to thee like the front panel off to the side, so she said she felt something go inside of her and it wasn't his hands because she could see both of her hands on his waist. He told police that he went to go get a condom and that he suddenly was like, I don't think I should have sex with this girl like and and decided not to go through with the intercourse. Okay. According to Vanity Fair Quote, DNA from his skin cells was found on the inside panel of her underwear, as was Seaman that could not be definitively linked to him end quote. That feels like some kind of fucking lab error because he even admitted later that he may have prematurely ejaculated during dry humping and that's why they may have found some DNA. But he claims that when he went to go put on the condom, he lost his boner and ended the whole hook up like out of embarrassment, you know, much like this kid in the episode, like prematurely you know, humping her against the wall or whatever. So they parted ways, and the first person that Prout ran into was the son of the rector, and she told him, quote I think I just had sex with Owen LaBrie end quote. When he got back to his dorm, he obviously is like greeted by a sea of high fives. He also messaged people later claiming that he had sex with her, but then later when he was on trial, backtracked on that, saying that he just did that to hide the whole going soft thing, just like an episode. He was like, yeah, I just like told my friends I did that. I wasn't going to tell them that, I like didn't you know, finish. So soon after this encounter happened, He emails her, quote, you're an angel. She writes back in an email quote, you're quite an angel yourself, but would you mind keeping the sequence of events to yourself for now? End of quote? Probably too late. I'm sure he's already told the fucking world and started a Reddit thread about it. They continued a message, a lot of ha ha haas whatever. They're looling the day away these two. The lawyer his lawyers tried to argue that these weren't the communications of a traumatized victim, while her lawyers were like, actually, these are very typical messages of a victim trying to quote unquote playcate and pacify her assailant. So, just like in the episode, so when Prout's older sister heard what happened, she slapped this guy's ass and gave him a black eye just in time for graduation, which I kind of love. And then the younger Prout the victim, eventually called her mother and they went to the local cops, and the story quickly became national news and got everyone talking about consent, teen hookup culture, everything like that. So in obviously the very in depth investigation that took place, they start researching Owen's attitudes towards you know, all his messages, all his social media, everything he's doing, and it seems like his attitudes towards women and sex were dark as hell. I mean, he is also a teen, but like he told friends in a written message that his move with girls was to quote unquote fane intimacy, then stab them in the back, throw them in the I lie in bed with them and pretend like I'm in love end of quote. So like a father of a Saint Paul's graduate who knew LaBrie, told Vanity Fair that his son told him, quote Dad, if this guy was going to do it, he was the type that would make a list. And according to my friend who went to that school whose mother's home you've been to, as you referenced earlier in the episode, she said that a lot of people that she knows from school were like, yeah, he seems like a psychopath. So this guy has questionable attitudes towards women obviously and sex. And then what eventually comes to light is that Lebrie is participating in a senior salute that's the equivalent to this cherry pickers club I guess where, And some of the articles I said, would actually say that it was women seniors too could do this with men. It wasn't just boys going after girls. It was like females going after males too. It was just seniors trying to hook up with younger classmates. And he see who could quote unquote slay the most conquest before graduation. Some people said that with the senior salute, it could be anything from making out to sex to taking a walk, like it didn't have to be sex. The media, of course, and trying to sensationalize this whole story makes it seem like this is some old thing that's going on at this school, and you know the traditions of like these moneyed institutions, but this wasn't a tradition at all, and that it seemed like after taking a deeper dive that had been going on for like a couple of years when this kid did it, and like.
Speaker 4: He could have started it.
Speaker 1: Yes, for all we know, like my friends who many of my friends graduated in like the early to mid two thousands from there, said they had never heard of this at all, and that it was pretty widely discussed among their age group when this like popped up, that they were all like wow, like did you remember this happening? Like this did not happen when we went there, and they graduated probably six or seven years before this all went down, So it's a newer thing that they're trying to like, you know, make an old tradition or whatever, because I think it like kind of makes a better story for news outlets or whatever. And the senior salute thing involved kids that were leaders in the school. It wasn't just like a rogue bunch of like bros. It was like team captains, newspaper editors, student government people like people that were high up at in the school like status were doing this. They all shared stolen keys to different rooms and spots around campus, and there was apparently even an email template for inviting girls to a salute. And they also had a sleigh trophy. It was like a mask that was supposed to be like a trophy. Like I don't know if like you wear the mask after you hit it with somebody or whatever. But as far as I know, it wasn't like written down on like a wall the way it was in this episode. But I'm sure there was some way they were all keeping track of it. And once the police started investigating. Labree's mom was like, get rid of your any evidence that you have of this thing. And he deleted a ton of Facebook messages that he has sent about the salute, like a like I think they The article I read said like a hundred, like so many messages about the salute, and the messages were obviously later recovered even though he deleted them. So LaBrie does go on trial. The trial is full of twists and turns, like at one point, Alan Dershowitz is involved, even though he himself had an allegation against him for sleeping with an underage girl or but that sexual.
Speaker 4: Assault, that's not that surprising.
Speaker 1: He's like, he jumps in any time there's underage rape.
Speaker 4: He's there to defend.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he like that, he has his own allegation. I don't even think I knew about that. It's like connected to Epstein. I don't even think I knew about that. Oh yeah, And why else would you be so gung ho? Why would you go so gung.
Speaker 4: Ho to defend abusers if you weren't one.
Speaker 1: You know, like yeah, And a bunch of the articles that I read pointed out that they did the exact same thing. They did in the episode down to the same reference. They say he wore dark glasses and looked like Harry Potter for trial, Like they were like, this is not what he looks like in photos of him from high school, Like they had him out looking like a like a nice young boy or whatever, and so they grabbed that directly from this for the episode this is what's wild. In the Vanity Fair article, they say that a senior law enforcement official involved with the case told Vanity Fair that if he had just expressed remorse or taken any accountability for his actions, the case probably would have been resolved without even a conviction, that he probably would never have seen any jail time, and he would they would have just sent him to a sex offender diversion program. And instead he went full throttle trying to set himself up to contest a guilty verdict, doing rounds and rounds of appeals because like, he's not rich, but his defense was funded by other Saint Paul's parents and I think that he, like probably his lawyers were like, even if you're found guilty, we'll just keep appealing it until you get out, because, as we've learned on this podcast, if you have enough money to keep going with the legal process. You can kind of just like appeal your way out of a lot of stuff short of like you know, mass murder and you're like sitting there with the knife. But like he said, she said type of sexual assault stuff. I think they're like, we'll just keep appealing it until we find the right judge that like says you can go. And a reporter from Vice wrote an article about him about This reporter from Vice covered the whole trial and then ran into him on the on the train in Boston and just chatted with him and wrote an article about it. And in his article he had a line where he says, that's what ultimately makes LaBrie come off as pathological, his own arrogance, Like if he had just said, oh wow, this didn't go the way I thought it did. I thought she was into it. I misread the situation. I'm so sorry. They would have sent him to a sexual assault program and he would have been like everybody's life would have been better, probably, Like I don't even know that the girl wanted jail time. I think her family just wanted accountability. So in twenty fifteen, he was acquitted of the more serious rape charges. Buddy was found guilty on three counts of statutory rape, one count of endangering the welfare of a child, and one melleny count of using a computer to lure a minor. So they were waffling on that, like whether to use that because they were like, you know that that law is really in place to stop like child predators from luring kids over the internet. It's not necessarily for peers who are talking to each other over social media. But they did get him on that, and then because of that he had to register as a sex offender. So on October twenty ninth of twenty fifteen, he sentenced to twelve months in prison and five years of probation and to register as a sex offender. He was released on bail soon after that, just to live with his parents during all his appeals, and the New Hampshire Supreme Court unanimously denied his first appeal in twenty to eighteen, and then in June of twenty nineteen he had a second claim of ineffective assistance of legal counsel. That was another appeal that was unanimously denied, and apparently a confidential settlement was reached with the victim and in June of twenty nineteen, he he was released from prison. He did serve six months of a twelve month sentence and he was let out early because of good behavior. Poor Chessie Prout tried to go back to Saint Paul's the following year in the fall after this incident, and the kids were horrible to her, like her friends turned on her, people pointed at her. She eventually like she made it like to the end of the semester and was like, I want to get out of here. She went home and started attending a day school, and now she's an advocate for ending sexual assault on campus. And she did write a memoir called I Have the Right to Colon a High school Survivor's Story of sexual assault, Justice and Hope, which was published in twenty eighteen with the help of a Boston Globe reporter who helped her write the book. So you know, then recently a judge who let like LaBrie off kind of easy was Biden nominated him, and she tried to speak out against that, but it still went through. So it seems like she's found like almost like a calling from this and like talking about campus rape and then like other articles are like, oh, and LaBrie trying to build his life back. Like I read this Jezebel article which is also in my sources, about how Vanity Fair doesn't know how to talk about sexual assault because I know it's murky, just like the episode, but this kid definitely did it, and they're just trying to like paint both sides of like, oh, yeah, it was really tough for her, Like they definitely made it show how tough it was for her, but they were like, but it was also really tough for him, and he's got to rebuild his life and this and that, and it's like yeah, and he could have just pled out, like with an apology, and he probably would have served any jail time or about gone on the sex defender registry. So his own arrogance got him to where he is. So I don't really care if he builds his life back.
Speaker 2: But it's also like in the episode, you know it's this kid, It's the one name on the list he just wanted to belong.
Speaker 4: This guy is pathological. Yeah, this he had a.
Speaker 1: Hundreds, wasn't it, like hundreds of messages about the salute, Like he was a ringleader of it. He he knew exactly what he was doing. Yeah, And it's so interesting with the arrogance because I feel that it's it's just yeah, and what's crazy, you're gonna get away with it, because I think about that with Louie a lot, where it's like he made a movie where the main characters jerking off in front of young people like ah and just like wouldn't get ahead of it, wouldn't say it.
Speaker 4: And it's like that's pure arrogance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like what's crazy too, is like according to this, like I don't know about the Cherry Pickers Club, I think you had to have sex, but like for this one, they say it could just be hooking up. It could just be making out. It could just be blowjobs or hand jobs or whatever. It was just like hooking. It was just hookups. So he could have just made out with her and done the fun part that they were both enjoying and still gotten quote unquote the credit for it on his little list. But he couldn't stop himself. And he cause he's like like a person that's just like I get what. I thank god he didn't go to college because on college he would have been raping all over Like that's the thing.
Speaker 2: They're like, think of his education. It's like, thank god he's not there. It's a liability to have these types of men on campus. So that's even like anytime someone will bring up like what about Stanford, and it's like, Stanford's a better place without your son in it. Yeah, it's one least predator there. So I'm fine with that too. You're not entitled to get a full ride to Harvard. Sorry, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: All right. Let's uh, let's dive right into our post mortems. Is we don't have a guest. Well, that was a harrowing tale of boarding school gone wrong. But you know what I found out. I actually ran into another person since we recorded this episode. I ran into another person who went to that school, and I said, well, you know, we just covered it on my podcast, and she was like, oh boy, but she said the same thing that my other friend said. She was like, yeah, we didn't know anything about that at that school, but there was an older scandal at that school from I believe, like the seventies and eight. He's like, you know, we covered I think on the podcast we covered the horus Man. Like there there's all kinds of like abuse scandals that happened at that happened at like elite private schools and boarding schools and stuff in like the seventies and eighties where people almost didn't blink an eye at like teachers having sex with students if like, you know, it was just kind of like a well you shouldn't but tisk tisk, you know, it's not like a jailable offense.
Speaker 2: Well, because there's one episode did we cover where Elliott Gould comes in and he's like, oh, I'm the abuser and they were like, oh, it seems like everyone like fucking you actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was like, I thought it was like a romantic like a mentor mentee romance. And it's like, you know, I don't know, we're uh not doing that. But of Elliott Gould, yeah, I need him to come back to SVU honestly. And you just found out he was married to Barbara streisand right, he's not married to Barbara. Oh no, he was though, but he was right.
Speaker 4: Oh, I have no idea. Oh wait, did they have a son?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They were the biggest IT couples in the sixties, although their marriage ended in nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they sar an.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Oh, they have a son who's that.
Speaker 2: I already forgot it. I already forgot that. So I learned it and fully and then I went out of my brain.
Speaker 1: I did see.
Speaker 2: Photos of Elvis recently marrying, you know, his child bride, but he was hot. I never really realized, Oh yeah, now I get it. He's like pretty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like he is like a pretty boy.
Speaker 2: I know people have known for decades, but I just like, I didn't. I don't really think about Elvis. He's not I get it. I don't care, and so I don't. I mean, I love peanut butter and banana. So that's like how I know Elvis is people. Yeah, because this frozen custard place in Chicago that I always ordered the Elvis and it was Custards.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've been I've been to Graceland and I was like the whole time, I was like, wait, why are people so obsessed with this guy? But you know, you look at me as hot? Okay wait, I just looked up Jason Gould and he looks just like Barbara streisand with Elliott Gould's like hair and oh and he's gay. Love that for him. And I mean Barbara streisand having a gay son is truly just the most divine thing. I mean, I bet.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you think he's out at like parties going you know, my mom's Barbara.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think that hasn't gotten him late a little bit, you're crazy.
Speaker 4: I just can't.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there's a photo of him like with his finger up and my gifted son, Jason. I mean, he's making music that's always you know, sad. You know, maybe his music is good, but I just it's like so hard when you have these types of parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: I always say this, I would never be an EPO. I would chill out. I would be I would chill out. I would spend my parents' money and hang and buy gifts for kids, Like I think that's what I would do. I don't think i'd want to prove anything. I just love doing stand up, so I think I would like do stand up. But yeah, I don't think I would like do things I didn't want to. Well, he's an actor and a singer and he's he's actually fifty six.
Speaker 1: I can't believe they have a kid that's that old. But yeah, I guess that makes sense. Uh you know when you're born in this if they're married in the sixties. Yeah, no, we're entering an age where all of our favorites will be dying in front of our eyes. Oh my god. Like we're getting to the age where the in memoriam at the Oscars is going to like really take us down. Like it's really going to take us down. But let's get back to our post mortem. What did we learn from fucking these kids? I mean, like, I don't know, man, I think that thing is is like I do think that like high school kids, we have to teach boys about consent early. We have to like, you know, be doing this and stuff. But like this kid felt like he had like a special kind of arrogance that he was going to be a predator, Like.
Speaker 4: Well, his mom, it was his mom.
Speaker 2: It's like, I hate blaming women for the actions of men, but it's like when you're raised with a mom like that, like, of course, yeah, you're not gonna.
Speaker 1: Oh in the I was thinking of the real kid. Oh no, no, yes, but you're thinking about okay, yeah, I was like I don't know if the mom was bad, but we don't really know much about her. But yes, in the episode, Yeah, like these people like I really try to like look at my children from like like you know, I love them unconditionally, but I'm also like, don't think that they're completely blameless and like perfect, you know, like you have to help them become good people and not just be like he would never why because I made him Like that's crazy, you know, why would he not? You know? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think Barbara on the Stand just did such a good job because it was like did she say yes? Or you didn't even listen because you didn't even care. You went down there to get what you wanted from a person without ever thinking about their needs, wants or anything.
Speaker 4: And I just thought.
Speaker 2: That was like such a good Barbera moment that it will stick with me where it's like yeah, and that's like when the isy stuff happened, we were like, it's not it's not anything I go.
Speaker 4: You know, one's saying he has to go to jail.
Speaker 2: The whole point that's annoying is that like you don't even think about the like the woman that you're fucking like in any capacity.
Speaker 4: It's so weird.
Speaker 2: And you know, we say this here where it's like these quote unquote tiny crime like they grow they I don't know, is that Yale guy who only got three months?
Speaker 4: Is he on the sexual registry list?
Speaker 2: That was Stanford, right, Yeah, yeah he did he get Is he on the registry? Let me let me google it, cause it's like, if you're not serving jail time, which is annoying, that's line. If they're on the fucking registry, Like I think that is important and their lives should be ruined.
Speaker 4: That's the thing that's my things.
Speaker 1: He's a registered sex offender in Ohio, according to The Washington Post.
Speaker 2: Great, because that's my whole thing where it's like, can you think about his future? And it's like, actually, I want to ruin his future. That's gonna be my new thing where they're like, well, you don't want to ruin a man's reputation, Like actually I do, I really do.
Speaker 4: I want your life ruined forever?
Speaker 1: That guy too, Like that guy can't say oh, like it was hot and heavy. I guess I was like too into it. I wasn't paying attention to her feelings. I didn't hear her saying no, she was passed out, you know, like you have like it's so disgusting what he got away with truly and yeah, whether it the judge that was like ah whatever, yeah, it was it was the I don't want to ruin the future of this nice young man, like that's you know, and no.
Speaker 2: Thought at all about the trauma of assault and rape onto the victims.
Speaker 4: How is that going to ruin their life?
Speaker 2: Why do we care about this Stanford loser and not the psychological trauma of I mean, we read about victim statements all the time in our research, and it's like people are affected forever, yeah by this.
Speaker 1: And that's it's We actually had a listener contact us and say that their friend was about to do a victim impact statement and asked me what episodes have good impact statements so she could show them to her friend. And I was like, what I can think of right now is the brock Turner episode which is called Rape Interrupted, which we will cover, But if you can remember any other like good victim impact statement episodes, let me know, because I was having a hard time remembering. But the girl in real life at the brock Turner case made a very impactful statement that was published, and so they are important anyway, Yeah, I guess just like fucking let's raise men to have consent. But that's asking a lot, and.
Speaker 2: It's like it's honestly boiled down to if you are a man, do you consider women people?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: That is that is how low the bar is, And that is like the actions of so many men. That is where I go to, like, do you even see women as human at all?
Speaker 4: With wants? I saw a clip.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously my algorithms are trying to piss me off. That's like how I get you know, yeah, and that's why I had to get off the internet. But I saw one where a dude straight up was like married to his wife for like ten years before he's like, oh, and then it hit me that, like she has thoughts and feelings, Like I do not think men honestly think that we are autonomous beings with full lives.
Speaker 1: Like really, there are men. There are men that think that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah overall, but if that but if that was the culture, then Rock Turner would have gotten more jail time. Yeah you know what I mean, Like to pinpoint which men are good or bad defeats the actual thing where the culture does not take women as people. So it doesn't matter if we can name a couple men that we know that see us as full beings when overall it's like it's the same thing with racism or it's like it doesn't matter if you think you're racist or not. We're living in this racist to sign me and you're a part of it. And so like even the men, like they have like as much as me as a white person has to check myself constantly, it's like men have to also take that bird on and check themselves constantly and how they're approaching women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you also want to be like, I know these kids like in this episode, these kids are like sixteen seventy eight, seventeen whatever, eighteen, But like you want to be like if you like, yeah, if you saw women as people, you would also realize that for you yourself, anything sexual is better when both people are enjoying it really, like you know, like it's not unless you're not thinking of a woman as a person and you're like this is just like a means to an end for me, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's what that boy did.
Speaker 2: That boy lied everywhere he rode on that wall, and then it was like he lied to everyone constantly, and I don't think he was drilled as hard as we've seen on the show Women that like don't disclose everything right away, you know you can't know, is fucking yeah.
Speaker 1: But I mean, like I plan to have the conversation with my son and my daughter where I'm like, if you're engaging in something with someone and they do not look like they are enjoying it as much as you are, stop, like you have to figure out what's going on, and like, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Well, So Steph Tolla Comics.
Speaker 2: She has a podcast about I think it's Steph Infection, So it's about gross stuff I've been on.
Speaker 1: I've been on.
Speaker 2: I talked about like, I think my extra tailbone, but which is like full like.
Speaker 1: Romper room compared to the chest she talks about on that pot. I know that's like nothing. Did I talk about pink?
Speaker 2: I'm trying anything, like what the grossest things about me are? But she just had Bill burn and the clip was that she was scared she was gonna get me too, because she kept putting fingers in guys butts without their permission, and Bill was like, yeah, you can't do that.
Speaker 4: She goes, no, I've learned. I've learned.
Speaker 1: Like during hookups, yeah, sneaking a finger in there. Oh, my god, and it.
Speaker 2: Was just it just made me laugh. But she's like, no, I've realized that now we can't. I can't do that.
Speaker 1: Without a little without a little tap on the shoulder, Like mind if I sneak around back, you know.
Speaker 2: She just said, one guy got so upset and he goes and Bill was like yeah, and also shout out to bil Bird defending his wife standing behind her for flicking off the president.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ex president, he's fucking his wife rules. I love her, She's the best. Yeah, let's get into our what would Sister Peg do for the week?
Speaker 2: This way women, our people, and Bill Burr's wife is awesome and she's one of them, one of our best. What would Sister Peg do?
Speaker 1: Our weekly segment where we point you to a resource, an organization, a blog, a book, a podcast, something to give you more info about what we talked about today. And for this week's segment, we wanted to point you to the book I Have a Right to a High School Survivor's Story of Sexual Assault, Justice and Hope by Chessie Prout. Obviously, Chessie is the victim of the true crime we discussed, and this memoir is her account of her sexual assault and the aftermath from the high profile court proceedings. It tackles rape culture at large and the epidemic of victim blaming in cases of sexual ass I think it could be a great read for also anyone who's thinking about sending their kid to a private school, a boarding school, a place where you're dealing with a lot of people who think they are elite and entitled, but also for anyone. So that will be linked to in our stories the day it comes out on Instagram and it will be saved forever in our what would Sister Peg do? Highlight? It's called a highlight on Instagram and follow our Instagram guys.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up pod And next week we'll be doing Russian Brides. That's season thirteen, episode seven. That's pretty funny. Thirteen and seven both kind of lucky numbers for people. Kara, did you know thirteen is Taylor Swift's favorite number?
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 1: It is. What's your number? Fifty four? Mine's eight?
Speaker 4: Why are you trying to be different?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? Well, it's usually seven, you know, lucky number seven, and you just went one up. Oh, I just like I've always loved the number eight. Yeah, that's a fun one. It was like a lucky number for me. It looks like boobs. Okay, guys, thanks for listening. We love you. Come see us live. There's new merch up on the store. Blah blah blah. Send us an email, send us a DM. We love you guys. Thank you for listening. See you next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina.
Speaker 1: Chamberlain, and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you who are executive producers, Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at exactly right media. Dun dunh