Speaker 1: The Times Record.
Speaker 2: Bring we will suit you to the gunner. Welcome, Flaming hang out, Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Wednesday, July twenty nine. That's Arm Latent. I am Peter Rapple, and today Arm and I are going to play a little bit of general manager. What every NL contender needs to have an ideal deadline, and it's all brought to you by Bett MGM. Turn your baseball prediction into bigger potential payouts with an MLB Parlay Boost token. Build your favorite MLB parlay featuring the teams and players you believe will come through. Then apply your parlay Boost token to increase those odds and elevate your potential winnings. Whether you're backing multiple game winners, stacking player props, or building a same game parlay, your MLB Parlay Boost Token helps you get even more out of every winning ticket. Remember to use code just Baseball on bet MGM to unlock that first bet offer where if you lose your first pick you'll get it all Backend bonus bets up to fifteen hundred bucks are them. We got a loaded show today, just like you and Jack had a loaded show yesterday, where you went over every American League team and what they need to buy. My only problem with the episode because I even texted you after the fact. It was really good. I like the flow. Put the disrespect to my Minnesota Twins. I can't even believe it. So you know what I did. I bet them to win the American League Central that's right, plus five point fifty on bet MGM. I got a social video coming out later today. I believe it, and this team is gonna buy. What's wrong with you? Actually, that's actually my question? What is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: So what's crazy is I didn't realize that a walkoff win against the Kansas City Royals would be like the pivotal moment where they say we're buyers.
Speaker 2: Now we're back by one hundred, we're back to five hundred. When you know, it's so funny though, we're talking about the Orioles potentially buying, and the Astros potentially buying, or the Mariners potentially buying. And I even wrote in an article that I published on Just Baseball dot com for mock trades for the Yankees to have an ideal deadline and all Yankee fans want Ryan Jeffers, and I said I don't think they're gonna get Ryan Jeffers because I really don't believe the Twins are going to sell. Why would they sell if teams below them are going to buy and the Twins lead the American League in runs scored. Yeah, they got to address the bullpen with three guys. That's it. They're done. They'll win the division.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the biggest thing. And I thought about it too when you sent the text. I was like, Man, I wish we had at least presented a little bit of the like what if they don't trade Jeffers, But it just seemed like such a ridiculous value proposition for the Twins, And we hadn't heard anything quite yet of like, hey, we're definitely not going to trade them until literally right after the episode. Because, as we'll talk about a theme in this episode here is going to be what an opportunity if you have a right handed bat? What a seller's opportunity here in this market. We're obviously talking about the buyers side, but we're gonna be talking about the same candidates for several different aggressive or perceived aggressive buyers. They need right handed bats, and Jeffers is one of the best ones. Andy's a catcher, and several teams need catchers as well, so the selling opportunity there was exciting. But I'm of the belief, especially this whole point of the expanded playoffs, if you are within two games of the playoffs and like inside of that, especially coming into the deadline, keep going, just run through it, right, And I think that's ultimately why the Twins are looking at it and saying, hey, like, we feel like we've got two different paths, the division, which I know is your big pick here, and the wild card. And I think if the division wasn't so soft as well, maybe they don't come out and say we're buyers. But the fact that they can, even if they don't win the division still make it via the wild card, there's two legitimate paths you can't sell, and I understand that.
Speaker 2: As much as I want to continue on the Minnesota Twins, and truthfully I do. This episode is about the National League and what they're going to buy at the trade deadline. But first I want to shout out our awesome audience. If you're listening to us live here on YouTube, the best way to support the show for free, just smash the button and subscribe button and if you're listening to us on audio after the fact. Best way to support the show First of all, tell a friend if you are liking it believing a five star review. Again, best way to support the show or without further ado, let's talk about the Atlanta Braves. So, the Atlanta Braves lead the National League East. Right, they currently sit at sixty two in fifty four per fangrafts, eighty two and a half percent chance to win the division, ninety seven percent chance to make the playoffs. This is clearly a playoff team, but at the same time, they're not a perfect team. And if you go on Braves Twitter, this is an angry bunch because I think when you have such a hot start and then you cool down a little bit, some of the problems become more glaring than they might normally be if you didn't start so hot. And I want to bring you three needs to the forefront for the Atlanta Braves, and I think one is starting pitcher, two is a corner outfielder, and three is just general bullpen depth. The Braves have one of the best bullpens in baseball, but you can never have too much bullpen depth when you're looking at their corner outfield situation right now. Ronaldkunu Junior is back from an injury, but I think it's in the Braves and his best interest to give him a lot to run at DH Right, So now your corner outfield spots are pretty much Mauricio Dubon in a pinch or Mike Yastremsky. They're good in center with Michael Harris, but I think they could use a big time corner outfielder. Starting pitching is self explanatory. Spencer Schwellenbach still on the shelf, a couple of other good young pitchers still on the shelf. It's Chris Sale and friends pretty much. Even though the Brave's rotation has been solid, right, I like what Bryce Elder has given him this year. Ranald Lopez has filled it in spots, Grant Holmes has been solid, Martin Perez has even given them a decent season. But the Braves want to go win a World Series, right, so we need to add a high end or at least a pretty damn good starting pitcher, and then going back to the bullpen depth. Would you say those are their three biggest needs?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I would agree one hundred percent, and I think that's the tough part. And I think Jeff Passon alluded to this on his show, Sources tell Jeff pass and like, if you bank on starting pitch returning, and we've ban we've talked about it a lot on the show, you can often set yourself up for disappointment. How many times do we say, oh, Waldrop and Schwellenbach are gonna be back. Waldrip had a setback in his rehabit assignment, And you know, with Schwellenbach, if he has even the sled, he doesn't even need a set back. He could just be a little bit slower in the ramp up and not be able to really help this team. And I talked about it with the d Backs and Corbyn Burns, and he has had a set back and now they're just hoping that he can make a couple of starts before the end of the regular season. So I think when you look at it from that lens, like we really can't count on Schwellenbach either, and I think that makes it even more pressing. Look, I think the Braves have the regular season rotation to just finish, you know, and win the division and make it happen. But like we've always talked about the names that you listed. Those are guys that can give you five innings, a two run ball, six innings, a three run ball. Offense is going to prevail. Bullpen's gonna pvail. You're gonna win more than you lose when you got a team like this get to the playoffs. I don't want Grant Holmes, opposite of Snell. I don't want Bryce Ellert or opposite of whoever you want you want to highlight there, Christopher Sanchez, whatever it might be. So the biggest thing for me, I agree with all the needs. I think they need it bad as well. But the glaring gwaer and gearing thing to me is who the hell gets the ball game two? And it needs to be somebody externally, I think, And it needs to be somebody really damn good. And that's for me, Like I'd almost rather funnel a bunch of the assets to the guy that can get the ball game two for me, and I know that might be a steep cost, and there's not a ton of guys that fit that bill.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I have an option for them, but I don't know if it's a strong Game two starter because you would hope that Spencer Schwellenbach is going to be your Game two starter. But I think you make a really good point about putting all of your eggs in the returning from injury starters. Because let's say Schwellenbach doesn't have any problems in his rehab and he looks good, you still have to get tuned up in order to make a big time postseason start. We've seen plenty of pictures come back from injury. Look at Hunter Green right now, right he's pitching to a seventy LRA. He's had some dominant starts and some blow up starts. Same injury too, exactly because he's clearly not ready yet or at least not the Hunter Green that we know. So there could be no problems, but you just need kind of a grace period to come back from an injury. So to bank on that and hopefully it times up that you get Schwellenbach right in time for October. Is a parlay at plus ops. Yeah, yeah, you can boost on Badab jabb Right, that's a parlay that I don't want to take, yeah, or at least that I don't want to bank on. I want him as my three. But here's the issue. When are the Braves truly making big splashes. We can both sit here and say they should go get a schoobl They should go get at least someone relatively close. There's not really any other starters on the block. They're relatively close, but at least a game two starter. Yeah, Like, is it Gosman? Is it Freddie Peralta. My first idea was for Michael Waka. And Michael Waka when I put out a mock trade for him to the Braves, I think it was about a week ago. Braves fans kind of grimaced and they said, a thirty six year old pitcher, do we really need him?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I've said plenty of times before, I think Michael Wauka is one of the most underrated pitchers in all of baseball. He's been pitching to an era in the mid to low threes, sometimes high threes over the last half decade, and he's doing it again this year. But you'd kind of more want him as like a four in the playoffs, that's maybe a three. So that's an idea for the Braves for what they're used to. What indication do you have about Atlanta that they would do something that they're not used to.
Speaker 1: That's my issue, the one and this isn't really an indication, this is a speculation, but if there's anything that could fan that flame a little bit. This is the best I've seen the Braves farm system in a long time. They they have breakouts, they have guys taking big steps forward. I thought they sprayed the board really well in the draft in terms of, you know, spreading out the talent by Underslad and Grassia and then getting a couple presumably first round caliber players. And they got another exciting right hander and Jensen Hirstcorn. So you pair the fact that you know they have one of the breakouts of the year and Eric Hartman Tate South the seene is nineteen and just got up to double A like that offensive tandem is crazy. You have cam Kamminitty, you have the draft that you had, and then you pair that with several other guys. Connor Essenberg's another guy that just broke out, and this farm system has been having a great year. So you have these breakout guys, then you have all of these upper miners arms that teams would definitely love to have. And the Tigers have come out and said, like, look we want like a coast to big league ready starter, or at least that's what the reports have been, is that they would want something like in aj smith shopber or like an Owen Murphy. So at least there's like that match there that can get you started. But I think you pair of the farm system kind of breakout that they've had and the talent they have there with the fact that you have upper miners arms in JR. Richie Owen Murphy, even a Herson wall drip Like it's not like he's you know, debilitatingly hurt. He just had a minor setback. He could be a guy that teams are interested in. That makes me think that they have a little bit more resource wise than they've had in previous years. Is that enough for the Braves to buck their their trend? I don't know, but at least makes me think there's a chance for that and a year where I think they feel like, you know, they can make something happen if they bring in another type of wipeout arm for them, but there's only really one out there. I do think at least that the Tigers and the Braves are a good match here with what the Tigers would want for Schooble and what the Braves actually have.
Speaker 2: So let me give you what I think is a realistic deadline plan for the Braves. Also speaking about A. J. Smith Schauverer as we're recording, he threw two shut out for the Braves in his season debut, so that's awesome for him that he's back, and he's certainly going to help the Braves rotation. But at the same time, we need a guy at the top of the rotation. I think a J. Smith Shaverer is really solid in the middle, but we want to aim a little bit higher. So here's my deadline plan, and you tell me if they have the prospects to even do more than this. This is more of just a normal Braves blueprint deadline that I do think would help them, But based on your points about the farm system, maybe we can aim a little bit higher. So again, the starting pitcher acquired Michael Waka, the corner outfielder acquired Taylor Ward from the Baltimore Orioles and bullpen depth. I would like to bring AJ Minter back. It's not like they need a left handed reliever. They don't need a reliever at all, but I would like to see a little bit of a throwback to the night shift, and aj Minter is throwing pretty well. I think Taylor Ward answers a lot of questions for them again in that corner outfield spot, and Michael Walker is just as solid as they come. But based on what you're saying, I think they have the farm system to aim higher than this they do.
Speaker 1: And I think with Walk a great fit sets them up nicely for next year as well. But I also wonder if it's he's better than the other guys. Don't get me wrong, but if it's kind of an elevated version of what we talked about, where it's like, love him to get me through the regular season, don't mind him to make a playoff start. But is that who I'm handing the ball to Game two with confidence? And the answer is no. That's why I do like adding the bullpen arm, because like, if you're not gonna, you know, have the second star pitcher in there, just a really high impact arm to complement Sale, let's just load up this bullpen and let's just go kind of bullpen chaos here, like we've seen some teams, do you know, especially on the American League side, and just make it work where you could just go shortleash on some of these other guys and then make it happen through the bullpen if you add a couple other bullpen arms. I think that can really work, because like Fuentis is gonna be a unique weapon in the playoffs, and I know he's young, but still I think just the stuff will prevail on some of the other guys they have. So I think it's one of those things where if you don't feel like you're gonna get that major, major impact arm, yeah, go get that walk up or maybe a mis type, And then I think there's pressure then to address the bullpen even more so and go get a couple guys and make this like a super pen. We'll get how it's helped the Padres survive the regular season, and obviously this rotation is far better than what the Padres have. I think it could really help them. They'd have to get really strategic in the playoffs. But if you're not gonna be able to go get the schooble type of guy, which I think they're gonna make a legit push for, I think you got you gotta go get that middle rotation arm and then really solidify this bullpen. Taylor Ward. I like it for a lot of teams. I think he's a great fit for this team as well, but I also like him for some other teams. But yeah, I think they need a bat and he fits the bill.
Speaker 2: I'm very curious to see what the Orioles are going to do with this deadline because Trevor Rodgers is a free agent after the season. They've already extended Shane Baws. They just extended Kyle Bradish, but they didn't extend Trevor Rodgers. And you might look at the full season numbers for Rodgers and be like, eh, it's a four to one ERA, it's fine. Over his last ten starts, he's pitched to a two to one ERA, and he's pitched into the sixth inning in nine of those, only one five inning start. He's looked like a top of the rotation guy. I think the Orioles could buy and sell and still give up Taylor Ward. But I think if they traded Trevor Rodgers, that's a clear indication that they are selling outside of Schooble. Let's say the Dodgers get him, or the Brewers, who are going to talk about or even the Rays. Do you think Trevor Rodgers is the second best pitcher they could acquire at this deadline if the Orioles were to sell, Because there's Freddy Parlton, there's Kevin Gosman, but Trevor Rodgers is pitching back than all of them and is coming off a twenty twenty five campaign where he was utterly dominant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there is a case there that Rogers could be, you know, that guy for them, and really the way that he's thrown of late, he said he's like he wants to stick in Baltimore, But I just don't know how much that matters. So I think I think that's a guy that could absolutely give them a little I'm just thinking, like, who has the ability with the flat like the ceiling that we've seen to be able to go out and give you five or six shutout in the playoffs, Like who has a reasonable ceiling to be able to do that? And if Rogers is on, like we've seen a guy that can absolutely do that. The other one that's interesting to me is I know that the Mariners are going to want to dangle Emerson Hancock in a trade where they they'd be presumably getting a bat. But if they keep losing here and the Braves just overwhelm them with a solid, you know, just general package, could they or like, if there's some sort of three team trade workout, could they find a way to get Hancock to Atlanta, a Georgia kid who went to the University of Georgia. There's some fit there, but that might be a harder trade to pull off. I'm fascinated by it. To me, I think I think they're most realistic and best shots probably Caseymiyes and hope you get them on a heater and then, like you said, address the bullpen as well, and like you can take a shot on the scoobl talks and once your packages to meet that, it's like, all right, well, let's do a much more water down version of this for Casemiyes and pivot to that.
Speaker 2: The good thing is with Atlanta, the needs are clear, and I think it's tough when we're talking about some deadline teams where it's like, oh, they could use a piece here, they could use a piece here, they could use a piece here, and you kind of just go in circles a little bit and you feel like you have all these holes the Braves have really two holes starting pitcher in corner outfield, and it's just good to add another bullpen arm. So the so the Braves know what they need to do. Alex Endopolis knows the plan. All he's got to do is go execute it and hopefully he listens to the show and grabs those three. But again, we can go even higher with how good the Brace farm system is. Let's move over to the Philadelphia Phillies and an interesting headline came out today. Bryce Harper and Don Maddingly, the manager of the Phillies, are at odds. Bryce Harper came out in an interview and he was basically asked what do the Phillies need to do? Do they need to buy? And he just goes, yes, and we need to help, Yeah, we need to help. So okay, maybe we took it a little differently. Why don't you give your series of events how you saw it?
Speaker 1: I so, look, I think Bryce was chomping at the bid a little bit at this opportunity where before the season starts, you have Dave Dombrowski putting pressure on Bryce Harper and saying, you know, he hasn't been alite. You know, basically like saying he needs to be better, right for all, for all the noise, That's basically what Dave Dombrowski says is that Bryce Harper needs to be better. Now you have another solid Phillies team, but clearly with some shortcomings and kind of scuffling into the deadline a little bit. And Bryce Harper has an opportunity to tell Dave Dombrowski he's been good at his job essentially, but not elite and we need help. I just I think the nature of being in the clubhouse and saying we need help when there's twenty five guys around you, and that implies that a couple of those guys aren't good enough to be in that clubhouse. And I get it's the business of it, but like that's something that maybe in front office guy says, that's something a GM says Bryce saying that, you know, I get he has a different level of clearance than most players, but I just I don't know. I thought it was a little bit tough. And of course, then Don Maddingly his son's in the front office, so of course he's not gonna take kindly to that. And then you get the quote from Don Maddingly that basically, you know via on Pattinson in which they do a great job of enjoyed going on some of their shows as well. Just said and I quote, I get the sense. So this was when Don Mattingley was asked if he thinks other people on the team are thinking about it and if the team generally is thinking about it, and I quote, I sense that Bryce is thinking about it. I don't really sense that anybody else is thinking about it, honestly, Mattingly said Wednesday prior to the finale. I mean, you've been through this. Guys want to be a GM for what you need without a real understanding of where the organization is, exactly where this thing is going to go, not only this year but moving forward. Players like being gms and making calls and spending other people's money. I'll I'll just let it go at that. I mean, Dave Dombrowski has been doing this for a while. He's never really backed away from trying to get guys. We're trying to get better. We're trying to get better at the deadline. That is a good point too from Mattingly. It's like you never have to tell Dave to go help your team.
Speaker 2: So to me.
Speaker 1: I just took it as well.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: This is just never great anyways, and I'm sure it's not going to be a big deal, but the fact that you have your star player kind of saying something what the front office would do, and you have this back and forth again, and then you have your interim manager kind of backing the front office and siloing the star player a little bit. I just don't think that's a great spot to be in July twenty ninth. I don't think it matters all that much. But not great for vibes. I don't think.
Speaker 2: I think terrible for vibes. And to be honest with you, I think the context that you provided changed my mind, and I think it's important context, and I think it should change a lot of minds, because at least for me, it can't speak for everybody listening, But for me, I came in here running to defend Bryce Harper because he's right, they do need help. You look at the lineup. They have six guys with a WRC plus below ninety five. I was going to use one hundred as a qualifier. No, all six are below ninety five, meaning six bats in the Phillies lineup at the bare minimum are below five percent league average offense, and most of them, notably Alec Bohm who sits right in the middle seventy eight twenty two percently gaverage offense. They have three guys in their starting lineup ar them that have a negative.
Speaker 1: War Oh no, yeah, Bryce is right.
Speaker 2: Bryce is right. So when he's asked the question, he didn't come out and say, hey, guys, I know you're all gathered around me looking to talk about the game, but we need help. He was asked about it, and yeah, we need help. Duh. So it's the most honest thing that he could do. But remembering the beef between him and Dombrowski and Bryce, Harper is a very intelligent person. So as soon as you said that, I said to myself, yeah, he remembers that. Oh he remember, and Don Mattingley's son being in the front office. Of course he's going to defend him. Yeah, because I thought Don Maddingly's comments were pretty harsh, and I thought they were kind of I.
Speaker 1: Think they were a little too harsh to be honest, But.
Speaker 2: Then realizing well, he's defending his son in a way, then I'm like, well, then that makes sense. So now I think my head is a little bit of a blunder a little and.
Speaker 1: I think it's where Bryce is just comfortable. He's like, well, if the GM and if the president, if president can say whatever he wants about the players, and I can say whatever I want about his job. And you know what, I don't hate that. I don't hate it. But then you also have this conflict of interest where the manager is that typically is going to side with the players, but also tow the line well or at least just play, you know, the middle Groundhile in general is what's very specifically siding with his son in the front office. So I get it. The last thing I'll mention and this is just kind of classic Harper and I love him. He's one of my favorite players to ever watch growing up. Super cool but just classic, like he was very visible that he's bringing his outfield glove on the road trip in case they bring in a first basement. I love Harper because he's willing to move and do things like that. You could just tell that to your manager, your front office, that you don't need to perform. And also if they went out and acquired somebody, I promise you they will get you your glove immediately, just like that kind of like performative stuff is always funny to me and just keeps fanning the flame of the Philly media machine. But I just thought the exchange with how like how much manningly wanted to kind of nip that in the bud was that's an I know he's more than an interim manager because he's done mattingly, but that was that was a little bit for me, Like that was that was sharp and he definitely didn't love that. You know, Harper had said that. Even though Harper was cued up to say it, he could have he could have navigated a little bit more carefully.
Speaker 2: The good thing is before you press the record button. I mean, the Phillies were winning six to zero. It is now six to three over the Marlins, so it hasn't affected them in this game yet. And I want to focus on what they're going to do with the deadline. So let's start with needs. And even though I just talked about the offense, is starting pitching arguably a bigger need for them. I know that they have three legit starters. You have Wheeler, you have Sanchez, and you have Lizardo and Lozardo has been really phenomenal this year. Yeap Or. He has been a top six pitcher in Major League Baseball. He's pitching to a low three z r. A is one of the league leaders in strikeouts. He's a phenomenal three. The problem is the four starter is a pitching machine. And I'm trying to say it as nastily as possible, but if I have to turn on my TV and watch Aaron Oli give up four homers a game, or whoever they fill in at the fifth spot, I get upset because I want to watch the Phillies, but I don't just want to watch home run Derby on the other side. Well, actually that's a lie, but you know what I mean. In terms of them wins, they need offense, There's no doubt about it. And I added both. I added a starting pitcher. I also wrote down a center fielder, preferably right handed, but then I gave them a left handed hitting center fielder because I look at the top right handed hitting center fielders. You're not getting set on Rafaela from the Red Sox, You're not getting Andy Has from the Dodgers, You're not getting Hulu Rodriguez from the Mariners, and you're not getting Byron Buxton from the Twins, So then who there is? We could say Luis Robert an Indivision trade, if there's ever an Indivision.
Speaker 1: Trade, that that would be okay. I think I think it would be that one. It's all right, you get have Robert for a couple of months, and all right, we'll take your DSL Lotto ticket and I'll think either team who's in sleep?
Speaker 2: So let me give you the players and then you tear the part. You tear it apart. So it's starting pitcher. I thought Casey Mice would be a good fit here. Casey Mies would be a good fit for anyone, So it's pretty much insert your favorite starter wherever centerfield. I did go with Dalton Varshow because Dalton Varshow in the playoffs last year was awesome. But he's just had a horrific year for the Toronto Blue Jays. Maybe a change of scenery could help. And he's also a really good defender as well. And when you look at the outfield defense for Philly, Justin Crawford has a ton of speed, but he's a negative war player because the defense hasn't necessarily been there. Brandon Marsh is not known for his defense, but Luis Robert can certainly play a good center field as well. And then I think a high leverage reliever is important for Philly with Brad Keller's injury. I know a Ryan Kirkring is really solid. Obviously Duran is your closer, but if you were to bring in an Adrian Morohone, I mean that could really set the Phillies apart. So those were the three I picked. Where do you want to go from here?
Speaker 1: Well, I'll start with the easy like layup. I agree is like Morohone because right now you don't and I think Alvarado's better than the surface level numbers. It's a Alvarado, but right now you just you don't have who's the lefty that's going to go get the big strikeout for you, Like when you got to go get Otani. You know, you got to go get some of those big lefties. Who's going to be that guy for you? And Morohan would would be that answer, but right now it's it's it's Alvarado, who you hope but just hasn't quite been there. And then you have tim Mesa. So it's like it's got to be better from the left side in that bullpen. I feel great about the righties to Ron kirkering Bowl and I'm we're good, We're good, We're good. So I agree with that. I think specifically a lefty for this bullpen makes a ton of sense. I think needing a starter is is a good shout. I don't think they need anybody crazy crazy, like I think it's just got to be a solid four starter. This is another team where Waka could actually fit this situation pretty well too, because like, if it's a must win game, you're gonna go to your your you ever pitch game one on short rest. But like if you're in the driver's seat in the series, you give Walka the ball game four and you feel pretty good and your bullpen's good and you go from there. But also just to get you to the promised land, where I think I I And to answer the initial question, I think the hitting, dude, I think the bats like I just I see this offense go ice cold. Uh And and if if they just if the guys at the top aren't hitting like good Law, how else are you gonna score? And like Brandon Marsh's coming down to earth a little bit, which was expected, it's been a great year. But then with with him coming down to Earth, it's Schwarber, Harper and then who else. You know you're gonna get some good abs from Scott. You know JT is gonna compete, But like, that's not great. I think they need a right handed bat as bad as it's really funny. And this is what's fascinating is I think there's a huge overlap in needs. I think I could have copy pasted your Braves plan for the Phillies, and I think it would have been a great plan for them. So gonna be fun for the bidding side of things, But I think this team might need Taylor Award as bad as anybody because they're so left handed heavy. I agree with the Crawford Derek Hill or the Crawford situation in center. At least you have Derek Hill for the short side of the platoon, who can defend with the best of them. Crawford bat's ninth and just survives. Who's playing right right now? Gabriel Rinconez, you might be right. I think I was focused on Cross just because he's so unproven. But at the same time, if you have Derek Hill, like I think Dak can survive, like that's your ninth spot, zero point two war who cares and at least he can get on base and like steal a bag or something like Taylor Ward.
Speaker 2: I think in left field would be perfect for this team. They need that right handed bat or your idea of Luis Robert is really interesting. But going back to my original point, the reason I said starting pitcher might be a bigger priority is although I just kind of trash the Phillies offense about how six of them have a WRC plus blow ninety five. That includes Trey Turner. You're not looking for his replacement, That includes Alec Bohm. I don't think you're looking for his replacement. Not anyone includes JT. Real Muto. I don't think you're looking for his replacement. So with a lot of the guys who have been here for a long time that you're not moving off of. So really what they need is that cornerile field there or center field. But it feels like when you look at the rotation, I don't think there is a bounce back in coming for Aaron Nola at all. And then the five spot is just kind of nonexistent. So that's why I thought starting pitcher might, but they need them both, right, So what you need more? You need them both and you need to make a splash in both areas.
Speaker 1: Which they asked Bryce and they said, hey, which do you want and what do you think you need more? And he said both? So I know disagree Bryce, You good good GM. I think I think for me, when I look at this line, I'm like, gosh, they need whatever they thought of Doolies could possibly be. They need that, and I think that's going to be Ward, right, So I love Ward here. I don't know if there's any other like right handed bats. I don't even think it necessarily has to has to be a right handed bat, like just a corner outfielder that can help you. I think right handed in particular because that's what they want. But at the end of the day, if you can just upgrade, like if everyone's bidding for the same corner outfield bats and you can go get a decent corner guy that's a lefty, that's fine too. But I think Ward for this team is like the perfect perfect fit. But I still agree with you, dude, Like, if they're gonna survive and make it through to the to even hold onto the wild card spot, like it can't be a three headed monster, and then nothing at all after that. So I think it's all pretty equal. But the thing that stands out the most of me is like, they need a right handed hitting outfielder, and if they can't do the Robert thing in center, if they don't want to roll the dice there, I think Ward fits perfectly.
Speaker 2: And this is a good example for any Orioles fans listening. You don't have to completely tear down, you don't have to sell everything. You can buy and sell at the same time. But Taylor Ward is a piece that I think teams are going to overpay for at this point, just because right handed hitting is at a premium at this deadline, and right handing hitting in the outfield is especially at a premium. Let's move over to the Milwaukee Brewers and they can have a fascinating deadline because they arguably have the best farm system in baseball. I was on Sportsnet, the radio station in Canada, and they asked me about Trek Scouoble, and I threw out the Brewers and I said, I think the Brewers would be doing a disservice to themselves by not trading from this glut system. It's almost too good. They have the number one system in baseball, did they not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, by By, this is one of the best pomp systems I've ever seen. Like I don't even know. I don't think they have enough forty spots for like when all these guys are gonna be real five eligible.
Speaker 2: So here's my plan. Here's my plan. And the Brewers are really really good, so they don't need much. Here's my plan for them. I want to see them get their hands on Emerson Hancock because Emerson Hancock has already made, you know, a couple of changes, and Seattle can certainly develop pitching, but I want to see him with Milwaukee. I think Milwaukee could just get a little bit of an extra ounce out of him. And that's kind of based on nothing except my feelings, and that's just out of respect for Milwaukee left handed reliever. I thought Daniel Lynch would be interesting comes with a few years of control. And then I put third base question mark, and then I brought up Blaize Alexander And here's my thought process there, because they don't really need a third baseman. You look at the full season stats for Joey Ortiz, and you say eighty four WRC plus he hasn't really hit, but ever since he moved back over to third base, he's been a lot better offensively. And Jack actually brought this up in a previous show. Joey Ortiz's career splits at third base offensively are much better than when he's playing shortstop. And thankfully the Brewers now have Cooper Pratt, so you don't need to. So here's here's what Matt Arnold should do. He calls up Michael Lias and says, is Blaize Alexander available. If michael Ia says no, he hangs up the phone. If Michaelia says yes, but you're gonna have to overpay for him, you hang up the phone. If Michaelia says yes and we're willing to talk about a fair offer, you hear him out. That's my question. Marks not needed. But would Blaze Alexander be an upgrade for them? Absolutely, But again it's not needed, And the only reason they could do that is just because their farm system is so robust, and Blaze Alexander could play anywhere on the diamond, so we could give them kind of a utility role. Also, besides just playing third base.
Speaker 1: Which is why I actually love them in Baltimore because the Orioles have like five players. I don't know what the hell is like the deal with them, So like Blaze is gonna plug in probably next year wherever that guy. Well, also depends on their deadline too, if they end up trading you know, a Cowser or they were apparently listening on holiday or whoever. Blaze is gonna plug into whatever that spot is. But I agree like if you overwhelm, then they're gonna listen on it. But with him hurt, I think might be tough. It's so crazy because when I look at this team, I'm like, what's the obvious up raid they need? And it's really hard to find a clear spot.
Speaker 2: Other than what I think is high end starting pitcher.
Speaker 1: That's it. That was what I was going to say. And like, especially with the injury to Kyle Harrison. Yeah, and I feel like we're just like plugging schooble every This is probably as good of a fit as any team I think the Braves and then this team here and then maybe the Rais as well, where it's just like just do it. But it's so much easier when I don't have a job to account for. I think it's the high end starting pitcher. Who do you think that is for them? If it's not Handcock, Because like, let's this is a similar situation where I think they can. This is another one where if the Brewers, if they ex me, the Mariners are like, hey, we need we want a big league bat, and Bruce said, well, we can't really give you that, but we can give you like, here's a couple of prospects you wouldn't normally be able to get right And they're like that, here's a package that just people aren't going to match. I think the Mariners may shift their course, especially if they drop another couple of games here before the deadline. So that would be a really fun one and kind of fits their bill is still like a guy that's in pre arm this year, and they could they could, I think, put together a really competitive package if it weren't Handcock. There anyone else out there that you think fits for them? Because it's again a similar conversation. I don't want an innings either.
Speaker 2: Guy.
Speaker 1: They can spaw, they spawn those guys they'll bring. They'll bring some random dude up that'll give them five innings to three runs.
Speaker 2: Well, they've already been in contact with the Mets on bringing Freddy Prawl to back, so that's the immediate easy answer. But you also got my brain turning. They could take their pick of the litter from the Mariner's rotation with their farm system or with their big league talent, like they can make a huge blockbuster. Maybe it's George Kirby, more proven commodity. Maybe it's Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Which is crazy because like why, that's why it's nuts to me, Like why would they come out and say, like essentially like let it get leaked out that they're definitely going to trade Emerson Hancock, Like you could have left something else out open there for them. I like the Foster Griffin shout.
Speaker 2: Just because of a good shout from our YouTube chat b gild b G I l g D a good.
Speaker 1: Shout like especially here, I just think he's gonna land and sometimes you wonder, like can he keep it rolling? I think this is a good spot for him to keep it rolling as well. I think Trevor Rodgers a good shout from Dawson in the chat as well. I think you try to overwhelm for a handcock package. I think the unique release and the pitch mix that he has. I would love to see what that looks like. And with the Brewers as well. If they can't squeeze out more, then at least I know that they're gonna be able to help him maintain it. We know that. I love that shout. I don't know what else really they necessarily need, unless like a because even with the way Ortiz is defending, and and you mentioned how much better he's been, I don't see a clear cut, glaring hole. The one that probably is for them is the DH spot in Christian Hellich, and you're not gonna do anything about that exactly.
Speaker 2: I also thought left handed believer is important. Yeah, kind of just air. That's a good shout. That's a good shout.
Speaker 1: I would say that's probably another clear area of need because you want to be able to you don't want to have to pick your spot in the playoffs where it's like, okay, we got a wave of lefties up now, but they're gonna come up again in two three innings, so we go now or later, Like you should have two different lefties that you will eat, you're comfortable weaponizing, and maybe they could do that internally with like Shane Johanen, Shorter Spurts or whatever. But it wouldn't be bad to have an established lefty reliever in that fold.
Speaker 2: Two and Tom b five five nine four brings us up. Knig isn't coming back. Yeah, a left handed reliever would be nice. I totally agree with you. So I think in short for Milwaukee, swing big on a starting pitcher, swing big, swing for Trek Skouble right, shoot for the stars, land on the moon. And if you land in Emerson Hancock, if you landed Trevor Rodgers, if you land a Foster Griffin, a Freddie Peralta, all are solid. We just need to bring in one more big time starter. I don't want a depth guy. You have forty of them. I want a big time starter. And then a cannon reliever would be nice. You don't got to go get more hone, but a Daniel Lynch with years control, young reliever, I think would be a great fit. And then you can call the Oils see what Blakes Alexander is doing. If he says anything that you don't like, just hang up because you only take them unless it's perfect, and the Orioles aren't going to trade him unless it probably doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with that, and I think the Hancock thing makes a lot of sense because it's like it doesn't fit the Brewers moltipically to go rental. You got a guy who's like, it's still in pre arm So you got to convert some of these prospects into controllable big league talent at the very least. Could be a great spot to do it. Also, by the way, the Marlins just tied it up with the Phillies six to six in the bottom of the seven. Oh, we should ask Rice again after this one a big boy if he thinks they need help.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, Phillies, you gotta win this one. Are the Philly media is gonna be all over you, all right. So we still have the Cubs, the Pirates, the Dodgers, the d Backs, and the Padres left. But I think it would be a fun time to open a pack from our friends at Arena Club. I know I've fallen in love with Arena Club, and I've said it a million times because I mean it. It is the perfect marketplace that I could just do on my phone. For getting cards, I don't got to go to a card shop. I don't got to worry about grading. I got I don't got to worry about all of that stuff. I can just rip packs from my phone, buy cards on their marketplace and it's as easy as that. Why do you like Arena Club so much?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the biggest thing for me. Grading has become one of the more like frustrating parts of collecting, especially with PSA shutdown. So like every pack that you open on Arena Club and they have varying, you know, price points for what pack you want to open, no matter what, they all are already going to be graded and in a slab, you know. So being able to have a graded card makes it so much easier if you want, you get to decide right when you open the pack, if you want to hold it, if you want to sell it right back to Arena Club, or if they ship it straight to you. So a couple of the cards that I had, I had them shipped to me. I'm going to the National Sports Card Convention this week, and having graded cards is a lot easier if I want to make trade, sell, et cetera. But I like the other part too, where it's like if I don't love that card and I want to open another pack or whatever it may be, I can sell it back and be paid out instantly. To be able to do that. And also a reminder that if you use code just Baseball on your first pack, you get twenty percent off. Reminder to make sure that that code works when you go to buy the pack. Don't add funds. Just go and buy the pack with the credit card and apply the promo code just Baseball, and you'll get the twenty percent off on your first pack. Let us know what you hit. I had an AJ Burnett Florida Marlins autograph card the other day. It wasn't like that was, you know, a huge, huge hit, but that was a good sentimental hit. I was pumped on there. But let's see which was Let's see what we got here. I've been hoping for more vintage lately.
Speaker 2: Podcast p Let's rip, Let's see what we get. Okay, it's the gold pack on Arena Club and I'm sure on the audio crowd they're struct.
Speaker 1: Boom, not bad. It is a Willy Stargel. Anything Willy Stargel, I'm always gonna be happy with as people now like I've collected advantage my whole life. It's it's a nineteen sixty eight tops Willy Stargel. I'll take it. Probably not the best Grail hit ever, but whenever you can. That's the fun thing with with with Arena Club is sometimes you hit a modern card, sometimes you ad vintage, and you can just hold on to the vintage cards and typically that's going to go well for you. So you co code just baseball on Arena Club.
Speaker 2: There you go, And before we get to the rest of the team's quick word from our friends at Hampton.
Speaker 1: Farms top of the ninth outside the friendly Confines, here comes the famous peanut pete.
Speaker 2: Splitter Hampton Farms Peanuts fun to crack, better to eat. Get twenty five percent off a large assortment of nuts on Hamptonfarms dot com. Using code just Baseball, let's build a plan to give the Chicago Cubs their perfect trade deadline. So the Cubs are one of six teams currently at sixty wins. They've had a great season and arm I don't want to touch this offense with a ten foot pull. This offense is basically perfect. I got I don't need a right handed hitting corner outfielder. I don't need anything. They got two catchers who I like, their infield is really solid. Their outfield is led by PCA, who's probably gonna win the MVP. If you've seen the odds on bet MGM, it's close to even money on PC. He has fully caught up to show hey Tani, and he leads him by a full win per f war. So it makes all the sense of the world, especially with Otani dealing with a knee injury and now a bicep injury. He's on this seven for thirty eight slide right now at the plate and on the mound. He's not pitching, so PCA could absolutely win the MVP. So in short, offense needs absolutely nothing. However, we need pitching, and we need pitching bad. So I think the three key needs here for the Cubs is a high end starting pitcher. I don't want depth. I want a high end starting pitcher. I want a high end reliever, And I also want another reliever doesn't have to be high end, but should be at least pretty solid. My question to you, because I assume you agree with that, do you think the another starting pitcher.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, Colin Rays is hit a wall. I mean, boy boyd is healthy and good like, and I think he's just proven that he's going to this point, it's been a nice year from showed up. But like, I think you need a couple of righties in particular too, Like you went out and you jump the market with David Peterson, and I think that was a great plug. The leak, like let's survive right now is the seasons like Forbly slipping away. But that's that's a guy that I think down the stretch, I don't even know if you want him really pitching every every fifth day. So I think he's more of an insurance policy. So for me, I think I think they need they could need two starters here and then the second one doesn't need to be the sexiest in the world. But the other part too is like you're gonna get Cabrera back, I don't know what the timeline is. I mean, actually know I have a rehab assignment on Friday, So if Cabrera looks good, then maybe one does that. What does that change for you?
Speaker 2: It changes things? Yeah, to a point, because what were we talking about with the Braves that these guys need to come back from injury and be ready to start a playoff game. Is Edward Cabrera the type of guy that you feel good about starting a playoff game depends.
Speaker 1: It depends when he's on, Like I think he sees, you know, you can throw with the best of them, but it hasn't been his best year this year. He's coming off of a hammy. Yeah, I would want him to kind of be Obviously he's way more talented than a five, but i'd want him to be like that. If it doesn't work out, that's our five guy. So yeah, I think you could say one and a half and say I definitely there needs to be an impact guy and then if the opportunity presents itself for like, I don't again, I don't think they need anything crazy, but just just a solid rental writing. I think it can make sense.
Speaker 2: On top of that, and Ben Brown is due to be back this season. We got this comment in our YouTube live section from Jack three to three one one. Ben Brown is symptom free and working back. The latest report I checked was that he is working back. I haven't seen symptom free. I'm assuming he's going to be back this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's like it's like, oh, he's thrown with like plyioballs, It's like, ah, okay, I do. I don't know, but you know you hope so.
Speaker 2: But he's super talented too.
Speaker 1: It's showed the same him. Yeah, echo the same sentiment. Copy paste what we've said with some of these other teams, Like can you count on that? I don't think so. I think Cabrera is the most realistic. It was a hammy thing, and like I'll be back in this week going to rehab, and like we'll have plenty of runway to get right and at least, you know, we can plug into that rotation the next couple of weeks. I think you at least need one. But how much do you like David Peterson and Colin right? Anyway, so you could say two and if Ben Brown comes back right, you can figure it out then.
Speaker 2: And to be fair to the Cubs, they came in with a pretty good starting pitching plan. When Kate Horton goes down and then Ben Brown goes down and Edward Cabrera goes down, and you were hoping Justin Steele was going to be able to make it back. You had a set back, and then you had tie On who had a really rough year, right, you had Boyd you had showed us, so they had guys can't really blame them when half their rotation goes down. So again, this is not the fault of Jed Hoyer or anything. But at the same time, Jed Hoyer has to act. So here's my plan for the Chicago Cubs. I like Kevin Gosman, I like the fit I do, and then I think a cool trade with the Mets could be getting both Luke Weaver and Huascar Braso Bond. But really these are just placeholder names for the Cubs. Happy to let you tear into it, because at the end of the day, they need a starter, they need bullpen arms, maybe they need to star. So again, those are just names that the Cubs could trade for. They have the system to do it. I like the fit, but I like to fit for a lot of pitchers for them.
Speaker 1: This is another one where the hand like we pitched Hancock to another team, could fit really well here, depending on what the Mariners ultimately want to do and if they feel like they still got a you know, a real shot at this season. I think the Shaw, assuming Matt Shaw is healthy, the Shaw plus package for Emerson Hancock can make a lot of sense. Shot crushes lefties can plug all over the diamond is just a really solid ballplayer, and assuming that he's able to get back sooner rather than later, I think that's a guy that you feel I could help them and for the Mariners, like even if they hit a wall, like okay, you got match on next year, in the year after that, and the year after that and the year after that. So I think that is a fun matchup, and it just seems like it's been kind of an obvious one for a while. Cubs will probably have to add a little bit more on top of that, but that's one that I just can't escape as well, because Hancock would help them now and later big time, and at least for the Mariners, it wouldn't be a fully waving the white flag. Plus they get farmed, you know, some some farm pieces as well, and it's not like I think the Mariners are. I think they're looking for bats more than than arms, even on the prospect side. So that's one that I can't escape because of what Shaw fills for the Mariners short and long term. And then you know what the Cubs would be able to get with Hancock, and that might be the most impactful arm that they add there, you know, somebody shout out Trevor Rodgers in the chat, could you go with a four lefties? I guess he would be like supplanting Peterson, But I think they need righties bad me too, and so I think you get you get, you get Cabrera back. Then it's who's the other righty? I love Hancock is target number one, But the question just becomes does Shaw and other prospects work, you know, for the Mariners, or do they just get a better offer for Hancock who teams might get overwhelmed them because if the Brewers come in with two top one hundred guys and a couple like good other pieces too, I might have to just say yes to that from an organizational health standpoint.
Speaker 2: So I don't think the Padres are going to trade Mason Miller at this point, But do you think it would be a better plan for them to swing big on a starter and get solid bullpen arms or take a big swing on Mason Miller and overpay, because that's the only reason Miller is going to get moved and then get a solid rental starter like a Robbie Ray or I think even like a Kevin Gosman. At this point, considering that he's been struggling right, which direction do you think is best for the Cubs. The reason I asked the question is the Cubs have kind of been piecing together a bullpen for a while. When's the last time they had a true lockdown closer? And I know Cubs fans are going to say, well, Daniel Plentcia is and I agree when he's on the mound, but how many times has he been off the mound due to injury? I'm talking about that consistent beast that ends games at eight innings. They haven't had that in as long as I can remember. And then you get Miller for three and a half years. Like I remember watching Miller in the playoffs last year at Wrigley and Cubs fans are looking across the aisle at each other being like, oh shit, this is a freight trade driving through Wrigly. Imagine, yeah, him on the Cubs. So that's the only reason I asked the question.
Speaker 1: That's a fun one because the Cubs have a lot of really good prospect bats as well, but also like upper miners, guys that I think the Padres would love to acquire and throw out there, like it would be a kind of short and long term help, where like you could plug Kevin Alcantra immediately into the outfield just hope he gets hot. But then also the Cubs prospects that they have offensively, Like I know they don't want to trade like a Josiah hart Schorn or Owen a Ors or some of these other guys that have really really broken out. But man, if you have an opportunity to turn the game into eight innings for yourself, it's a really good way to hedge of starting rotation when you basically just make the game an ending shorter with Mason Miller. So I mean, if Hartshorn's leading the way and you've got a couple other pieces, as much as it would hurt for Cubs fans, like this is a rare opportunity, and then Cubs fans being able to see like somebody like Miller every day at home or you know, every every day that you have an opportunity to save a game. I know the Cubs kind of view Hartshorn is untouchable, but that could be the guy that changes things for you. I would love to see them do that. I just don't think it's it's very Hoyer coded with how careful they already are to do that for a reliever, and how much they've just seemed to just be kind of like nothing. They don't value the bullpen, but don't seem to see it as an important area to funnel assets. So for me, I think it's it's rental starters for the most part. If they can't land handcock. I love the Gosman shout, though they need a vet that's been there, done that in the playoffs. I like that boy has been there and if you're not going to get like a star, get that vet that's been there, done that. I think Gosmin's a great fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Gosman and it could a couple of good relief and you call it a deadline, or they could go big. They could go big swinging. Let's go over to the Pittsburgh Pirates and arm. This one is gonna be quicker just because it's extremely straightforward, very straightforward. I don't think they need a starter. I know that the starting rotation hasn't been great, but it's kind of the sense of, are you then going to kick out Bubba Chandler? Would that be the plan? When he's the five? You're not kicking out, Mitch Keller, are you I know, Braxton Ashcraft is having a rough like month or so, but you're not kicking him out. And then obviously you're not doing anything with Skeins or Jones, so I don't think we need to add a starter. And then I look at the lineup arm This team ranks third in ops. Yep, they're gonna get back Connor Griffin in September. They're gonna get back Spencer Horowitz and O'Neal Cruz sooner than that. I don't see an area of need. Offensively, let's go swing at some bullpen arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it, that's it.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, that's a clear need. Oh, it's clear.
Speaker 1: Need, abundantly clear, like the most obvious need for them. I agree with you on the rotation. You're just gonna live and die by that group, I think, And that's fine and I'll sign up for that. And I think, you know, Keller is coming off of better outing, and if you make the playoffs, Keller doesn't matter, you know. So that's her five. Presumably Bubba is the big X factor there. But to your point, I like that the Pirates have been very focused on this year. But At the same time, that's one of those areas with Bubba Channel where I'm like, I'm okay, looking at the big picture and saying, this guy just needs to keep throwing and finding it. So uh, And again that's another guy that in the playoffs matters a little bit less because you'd be going skiings Ashcraft Jones and then ride the hot hand on a short leash. So get whatever bullpen arms you freaking can and as many as you can and go from there. I think that's the clear, clear cut play for them.
Speaker 2: So I could ask about Mason Miller, of course, but I just I want to be realistic and I just don't feel like the Pirates are going to go that big fish hunting God, it would be awesome if they did, and I hope they do. I think it's more likely than not they're going to live in this range, which is still a really solid range. So here's my plan. Riley O'Brien from the Cardinals. It's had a solid season, but I think and I was talking to Hambo when I made my trade article again for the Yankees, and he made a good point. Riley O'Brien comes with the years of control he's got twenty six saves. He was an All Star, but at the end of the day, he's rocking a mid threes era with about mid threes to high threes peripherals and he's thirty one. Models don't love thirty one year old relievers, is what he said, and it makes all the sense in the world. So I think maybe teams that are more model oriented that are looking for the high end stuff guy who's far less proven, are going to go and maybe even pay more for some guys without the track record that Riley O'Brien has. For the Pirates, I want a reliever with a track record. I want a reliever who I just feel solid about, and I feel like Riley O'Brien is the definition of that. And my second move is for Kirby Yates, who has been just pretty solid as long as he's healthy for the Angels this season, another guy who has been there, done that, pitched to a mid threes. Those are the type of bullpen arms that I think the Pirates should be targeting, and funny enough, I think they're going to be cheaper than other bullpen arms, so I think the Pirates can really knock it out of the park here.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. By the way, Griff just had a pinch hit two run Homer to take the lead eight to six off of Johnson Bolan. No Marlin's out of the lead eight six.
Speaker 2: First of all, that's awesome. Second of all, do we actually need a righty reliever instead of Bowlan now?
Speaker 1: Yeh know? To eight to six? Or do we need to fit the Marlins back in as buyers? Are they going to change their mind?
Speaker 2: You tell me.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, but I think they will be less likely to sell. Holy crap, that is crazy. I agree with everything you said. One issue with the amount of control that Riley O'Brien has. Would they trade him in division?
Speaker 2: The only reason I say yes is it's a reliever. If it was a key offensive piece, if it was a key starter, probably not. I think relievers are fine.
Speaker 1: If they get you, they get the best deal is I mean, we even saw it with like in general. I mean, it depends on the team. But I'm thinking about heind Bloom. I think he's very return oriented, the way with the Rays and the Orioles. Like the Rays didn't give a shit about trading Shane bas and division if if the return was ample, so I like that shout. There just might be a little bit of a tax there, But that said, he might be the most impactful arm that you can add with control that isn't going to cost you, even with the tach intra division tax. That isn't gonna cost you anything to to to insane. So I like that shout a lot. They're at a spot too where like almost any arm. And also, by the way, we probably should have shouted this out with a couple of the other teams. I like Clay Holmes to the Cubs. I wanted to mention that before I trow. I like Holmes if he's throwing, well, I like Holmes a lot as a fit to the Cubs.
Speaker 2: I had Clay Holmes for a team later. So, but yes, Clay Holmes absolutely could be for any of these teams, no doubt.
Speaker 1: That was a crazy, sporadic, intrusive thought. But the Pirate situation is so dire, dude, that it's just like in terms of the bullpen, anybody pick it. I'm in on whoever you put into that bullpen. And I think the one thing that they don't need as bad is a left he I think they could always use one, But like once you push Sodo potentially down. That's the other thing too, is maybe a guy that can actually close ball games out. And that's why I leaned towards you know what you were saying with O'Brien, Could they pull off the Luke Weaver thing? Could they do that?
Speaker 2: They could?
Speaker 1: So, I think the returns would be similar, which would cost money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would you rather have Luke Weaver or Riley O'Brien. Riley O'Brien's cheaper, and he's the one with twenty six saves this year, and Luke Weaver has experienced closing. I just think he's sneaky, gonna be more expensive to buy. Am I crazy for that? Oho Weaver or O'Brien Weaver Weaver over O'Brien, But I feel like O'Brien actually answers a better question for the Pirates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an interesting one. I I the problem is for a team that clearly like is apprehensive of adding a ton of payroll, probably is gonna make Weaver even more difficult to justify than the prospector turn as well. So Brian's probably more realistic. And yeah, you got to overpay a little bit in division, Probably not the end of the world. I think again, the Cardinals will be fine with that if you give them the right return. Who else could like close games for you, because even if it's not fully supplanting Soto, I think this needs to be a closer by committee situation, especially if you're making it to the play.
Speaker 2: I'm Riley O'Brien. We have our answer.
Speaker 1: It wasn't O'Brien. Is there anybody else?
Speaker 2: Kirby Yates?
Speaker 1: I mean, Kirby has the experience doing it.
Speaker 2: He has the experience doing it, and you know, like if they got Morehone, I mean Morehone could obviously close throwing his ninety nine to mil hour bowling balls. And he is a rental, so I think he would be in the realm of possibility for the Pirates. But now that Chapman is off the shelf, you know, the Ashers are not selling, so it's not hater either. The Twins don't even have a reliever to sell. They're going to be buying the Royals. I mean, I was watching Alex Lange just give up nukes to the Twins yesterday. He's not the answer, Like I'm just going through all the sellers. Yeah, and again, maybe the Orioles want to part with Rico Garcia, but I just think Riley O'Brien is such a perfect fit for them.
Speaker 1: One more shout, assuming they'd end up selling, and this would be a spot to probably sell Jeff Hoffman potentially. Yep, you got to pay him, but I don't think it's as bad. Jeff Hoffman would be a fun high ceiling edition. I forgot that's been shaky but just so nasty.
Speaker 2: Is Hoffman a free agent at season's end.
Speaker 1: No, I think he's owed eleven million next year as well.
Speaker 2: That's why I didn't include him thinking back, because I just don't think the Blue Jays are actually going to kind of do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do agree with that Jo million til and a half next year, So probably not.
Speaker 2: This roster went to the World Series last year. They just had a really bad season, like they're going to come back next year and probably add I think this is more of a you know, they might trade Springer free agent seasons, and I think the only players they sell unless they get overblown by somebody, is inspiring contracts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. So but whoever you could freaking get, just get reliefs, get relief help.
Speaker 2: And the Dodgers are up next. Playing general manager for the Dodgers is probably the easiest task in all of baseball because here's my deadline plan for them. Marrow Terrek schoo Ball, that's it. This bullpen is outrageously good, and it's getting back Edwin Diaz. I mean, you know, I was talking about Dodger friends and they were like, we should trade away Kyle Tucker. Like that's where they're at, right, So they just have an embarrassment of riches. And they even said, well what about shortstop and second base? And I was like, you guys are so spoiled. You have Mooky Bets and Tommy Edmond. It's just Mookie's not having the best season. So they're looking for places to add, and deservedly so. But looking at the Dodgers situation, they don't even really need a starter. Where is River Ryan by the way, why has he not been called up? What are we talking about here? And then just going back to the bullpen real quick. Once you have your playoff rotation, let's say you don't even get Schooble and you have Yamamoto, o Tani, Snullglass now Rokies also in the bullpen, so you really don't need a bullpen arm. You don't need anything on offense, and you're gonna get Will Smith back eventually at some point too. But Dalton rushing is perfectly fine in the meantime. You don't even really need Schooble. But at the same time, if you go get Schooble, we might as well stop podcasting for the rest.
Speaker 1: Well, the crazy part too, is like they really don't need it, and you have this susak like of late unless I'm I'm did he have a bad start in between the last several I've watched, like where he's just been NPB Sasaki over the last time.
Speaker 2: Yes, earlier in the month he did, but the last two he's been NPB Sasaki.
Speaker 1: He's like he's averaging, you know, closer to the triple digits with the fastball. The command is all the way back, like and even that that's something. From the last three starts, the command has been there. This has been unbelievable. So if whatever Sasaki found, if he's continuing to be this as well. My one thing with the Dodgers is this, if they do believe, and I don't think a ton of teams are operating under the like fear of what could happen with the CBA, though I think some a little bit more than others. If the Dodgers believe that there is a chance at a salary cap here, the one way that they can continue to maintain their you know, well one, I don't know how they would enforce alve that, But the other way that they can maintain their dominance over the league is the other thing that they are really good at besides having money, which is the ridiculous amount of talent that they have in their farm system. So if there was ever a time to not make that like that model screaming know what you trade, it might be now for the Dodgers, who have done that so many times over the last few years, and maybe find themselves in a spot where they want to kind of maintain the prospect talent that they have. I thought it was fascinating that Katie Wu mentioned that with the outfield prospects that they have, they are they're actually looking to potentially trade one of those top end outfield prospects for more prospects. So it's like, which I thought was fascinating, Like, that's my only thing is do they say, well, hey, if you're gonna cap us, well, then we're just going to flex our you know, talent muscles on you. In terms of all of the ridiculous prospects and an organizational depth that we have.
Speaker 2: I actually think that's so disrespectful. And here's what I mean by that. The Dodgers are so good that you can't put them in the buyer or seller category like the other teams. They're like, we do mega trades where we either get Trek Scooble or we trade one of our four top ten outfield prospects for other prospects. Like we aren't in the normal, the normy category that you guys all are a buying and selling. We're on a different planet where we trade prospects for other prospects because that's where we're.
Speaker 1: At and we'll win that one too. Like it's just it's that's where it's nuts, so nuts. That's where I just wonder, like I agree, like if they want to just go wrap this thing up, they can do that, uh and go that's the obvious area for upgrade. I would say one other would maybe be a little bit of relief help They obviously always but you could say that with anybody.
Speaker 2: I did not really a place who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I don't even know.
Speaker 2: There's seventeen games above five hundred. They're eleven and a half up of the day.
Speaker 1: That's why I think they call, they make an offer if some other team gets reckless on it. Like, I just don't know if this is going to be the year where the Dodgers say, just because we can, we're going to outbid everybody because they don't necessarily need to.
Speaker 2: I do think they kind of need a starter. And you might be right about schoobl but remember what we talked about about injuries Otani. We have no idea if he's going to be fully okay. We have no idea if Blake Snell is going to be fully okay. We have no idea of Tyler Glashan is gonna be fully okay.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I do think they need a starter. I'm not saying they have to get Scooble, but I think a starter would be very helpful for them.
Speaker 1: That's that's very fair. And also a lot of these reports came out before Otani kind of hit this this wall health wise, so I agree. So if it's not school bull, who is it, who cares? Yeah, just any anyone.
Speaker 2: You can say Hancock, you could say Freddy, you could say Gosman, you could say Rodgers, you could they could make a big Foster Griffin is a great one. Like they could do whatever they want. They could you do a lefty alrighty, yeah, that makes sense to me. So we got two teams left. But real quick, let's hear from our friends at Hampton Farms.
Speaker 1: The best power hitters in the game pride themselves on swinging hard and maximizing eggsit velocity, and they can't do that without muscle. Hampton Farms in shell peanuts are a great source of protein. With seven grams in every serving, America's number one brand of in shell peanuts gives you the fuel and strength you need to attack your day like the pros. Hampton Farms peanuts fun to crack, better to eat. Find a bag in your produce atyle, or take twenty five percent off online at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just baseball. That's one word, just baseball for twenty five percent off.
Speaker 2: Playing general manager for the Arizona Diamondbacks, arm let's give them a perfect deadline, and I want to start with their needs, which they sneaky have a lot of them. Yeah, I like the Diamondbacks, but they have some needs, and I think the number one need. Eh. I don't even actually think it makes sense to rank them. These are just their four needs. I would like a first base DH type right now. Adrian del Castillo is their DH and he's been forty percent below the league average hitter, and Tim Tawa has been nice in Spurts twenty percent below league average offense. That's an area they need to address. I also think they need an outfielder outside of Corby and Carroll in right field, centerfield and left field has been a little bit shaky as Ryan Walshman really has not taken that next step offensively. I think they need a high end starting pitcher. I love you Rod, but with the injuries to Gallen, you know, Kelly is fine, then it's and Brandon Fott has looked a lot better. But I would like an elite starting pitcher here, or at least a high end one high end.
Speaker 1: It's been awesome since coming back though.
Speaker 2: It's been great, absolutely, and it's really cool too because I remember when he first got called up. He was a guy that you really liked. He led the minor leagues and strikeouts and then it's just had kind of a rough go of it. But it's a good example of why these young guys the development is not always linear. Some guys go up and down and then they finally find it and they take off. And that could be what we're seeing from Brandon Fought. However, I don't think the Diamonbacks can bank on that, considering Brandon Fott has given the Diamondbacks really good streaks before and.
Speaker 1: Then fell back the phenomenon in the playoffs for them.
Speaker 2: Exactly, so they can't just bank on Okay, Brandon Fott is going to do this for the rest of the year if they truly want to agree. And last, but not least, is just a left handed reliever because you look at their bullpen right now, it's been solid and personally I would like to take Paul Sewell out of the closer spot, but really I just need a left handed reliever.
Speaker 1: Would you agree with those four needs one hundred percent? Because this is we can circle back have the same conversation AJ Puck should be back, but can't fully bank on that, and especially him in his history to stay healthy. And then you know, Justin Martinez also should be back. While welcome that it's not gonna be like, oh no, what do we do with this other reliever we acquired now, because you'll still be in a good spot. And I think this Diamondback's bullpen has been is far exceeded any expectations. Big credit totorry LEVELO, and I think just in general, the teams just plan and deploying guys in spots where they could succeed because all these guys are out performing I think their abilities and maybe some of the peripherals. So yeah, they need help because that might normalize starting pitchings where it just jumps out to me, I like fought now. I think I've seen enough where this guy can be the in the rotation rest of the way. But who's the guy that you trust You're gonna get Burns back maybe with two starts or three starts to make at the end of the season. Can't camp on yep Soroka. I think you can count on it as like a strained glute, so we'll be back. But even then, you still really need a starter. And I think Nelson when he comes back from injury, might be better in a middle relief role. Anyways, I think I think they're but they really need a left handed bat. That might be as bad as anything too. I think you circle the pitching, but like they need a left handed bat in that lineup. It's Corbyn Carroll, Max keupboy started to pick up obviously coming off with the suspension. But they need a lefty bat because that's it. And you mentioned delcas Cio. He just hasn't been there.
Speaker 2: And I got the perfect option for him. So here's my plan for the Arizona Diamonbacks to crush this deadline. Their first base outfield solution. Luis Garcia with the Washington Nationals love the fit in Arizona outfielder. I gave him another left handed bat with JJ Blude play good left field, solid solid bats out of the lineup. Their high end started picture option Freddy Pralta. Again, I'm just kind of placing names, you know. And then they're left handed reliever Hogan Harris of the Sacramento Athletics. He's having a pretty solid season. He has experienced closing games. Paul Seawald continues to really really struggle, like Harris could become your closer. But at the same time he addresses that left handed reliever need. Could the Dambacks do all of this though it's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. I think they're gonna swing big and it doesn't mean like, you know, go get Mason Miller, but I think they're gonna They're gonna push a lot of chips forward here and they just want again, as with the game, just in it. They just beat the Pirates, so they're they're now gaining on the Phillies assuming the Marlins hold on. But I wouldn't assume that we will probably still be recording while Pete Fairbanks comes in, so we'll find out. But uh, I think this is a Dbacks team that now you know, you tell my keys and your five plus over five hundred going into the deadline time, Like, I think he's gonna be aggressive from everything. I would just believe from what we've seen from him in the past. What does that look like? I think probably something like that. I think the Garcia, I think I think that's a no brainer for them because he can plug in at first base for you, but he could also, you know, just just jump into the DH spot as well until you can mix and match from there. I think that's the no brainer. B Locklier can take short platoon if you want a little bit. He's been doing all right out of the gate. The pitching is the interesting part. How big do they swing? And I think they're gonna try for something bigger there. So let's who do you think is the best fit for them? Starting wise? I think Freddy Perolta gives him the highest ceiling, and I like.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I was going for, because I think they should go big swing hunting rather than a Gosman or a Waka or actually Gosman kind of fits in the Freddy Pearlta bucket. But the upside of Freddy Peralta intrigues me because I think, if we're going to go for it, let's get a rental with some upside. That's why I fit in Freddy Peralta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that. I think that's the way you go, because, look, you're trying to make a run in the playoffs. Here, you have a team that could the d Backs just they outperform what you see on paper because it's just a solid core of guys. They play well at home and they just are always in this hunt. But if you're going to try to win a series in the playoffs, and make a little bit of run. You got to shoot higher. And I think in terms of all the rentals that we're going to reasonably see here, I think Paralleta is the highest ceiling. I think Clay Holmes is a fun fit too, for a guy that can get some ground balls in that ballpark and could be successful for them as well. I think Holmes could.
Speaker 2: Be fun about Clay Holmes podcast. He brought this up in our private chat when we were talking about the Cubs, where he was a little bit worried about adding Holmes when an entire rotation already is having health problems. I see the same thing for the d Backs, same health problems right every dropping like flies. Do you want to add another one who's coming off an injury? Like I would almost rather someone who's doing worse, but at least I know he's healthy. Maybe we can provide a tweak for him rather than even though I think Clay Holmes is probably better than all of these guys, like I think Trevor Rodgers would be sick like that's your high upside rental move. I just didn't write him down because I don't know if the orders are gonna sell. I have no idea what they're gonna do. I have no idea because again they're losing again to the Tigers. But the American League is so bad that they're still in the hunt.
Speaker 1: They're getting blown out.
Speaker 2: They got blown out yesterday fourteen. Nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that that should be enough. Open your eyes, Mike, I'm sorry, headed.
Speaker 2: Into our discord right now and ask Orioles fans if they want to buy shout out Schroeder. He's buying. They're buying.
Speaker 1: That's what they It's not just losing, it's getting swept or not swept, losing two out of three and getting your teeth kicked in on the second two. Assuming they don't come back, we'll see yah the next series goes. But I think they should and it's not you don't need to trade Adolete necessarily trade the rentals. I think they trade the rentals. I like. I like the shout for Rogers too.
Speaker 2: Trevor Rodgers, Sorry, Freddy, we're bringing in Trevor. Trevor is the answer. Luis Garcia is the answer. Bladet, he's good. I like Bludet's a fit. There, Yeah, there we go, and then Hogan Harris, that's they're trading. This is maybe the most active deadline of any team arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think they're gonna be pretty darn active. Do they need another reliever? No, I think you get the one guy and then you hope you get your guys back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's good enough where if you don't get Martinez and Puck back, it's still a solid bullpen, and if you do get them back, it's a really good bullpen. But I think you set a nice floor adding Harris to this already solid bullpen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think the Holmes thing, the one Devil's advocate which I do agree with Mike Jeene in the chat, is that it was like a comebacker on the leg, So assuming that you don't think anything else is going to be an issue healthwise, and he looks totally fine. If a team feels confident in that, they might just roll with it. I do like the Holmes fit here a good bit. So that is just one other note I wanted to put there. But I love the Bludet and Garcia chat there no doubt.
Speaker 2: Let's end with the San Diego Padres, and I only had two needs for them because they're kind of like the Phillies where you look at the offense right now, and Manny Machado is hitting lasers all over the field. He looks great. Merril has looked better lately. Tatis is looking more like himself. The offense is really starting to come around, and even the guys that haven't yet. You're not moving off bogarts, You're not moving off crona Worth, You're probably not even moving off sheets. You have the catching situation where Campisano is hitting and if he doesn't, falls back down to earth. At least Freddy for Men is still there. I don't think catcher is where they should be going for right Na.
Speaker 1: LEAs just got promoted at Triple A, for what that's worth.
Speaker 2: There you go, But I don't think he's gonna be a big leaguer this year. So I kind of just think they need a DH. I got the perfect fit for them, and then their second need before we move on. Do you think that's the only offensive need that they have?
Speaker 1: You? This is like you got to like live and die by your guys, Like, yeah, if you lose because Tatis, nobody that you acquire is going to win you games. Relative to whether Tatis, Machado and Meyrol and Bogart's and Croninworth hit the way they're capable of hitting. Like that's, of course, I'm not saying, don't compliment the lineup, but you don't. You don't need to go crazy and go try to They don't need to do o Herne Loreano over again because the end of the day, like they could do that. And if these guys don't hit, their core guys don't hit, it is what it is. And Machado and Tatists are showing signs of life. I think that's enough to think that you could just get a smaller complimentary piece.
Speaker 2: So I think, so we agree d H first base ish type of move kind of similar to what the Dbacks need. And then I said, high end starting pitcher. And this is where I brought Clay Holmes in. And I know I'm kind of talking out of two sides of my mouth here, being like, does Clay Holmes fit with the cubs of the d Backs because they've had injuries to the rotation and they kind of need someone solid. But for the padres, I think at this point almost similar to the d Backs. I guess, so I really am just talking out of both sides of my mouth. Here where with a rotation that is not healthy? Do you bring in Clay Holmes? But I just like the big swing for homes for this Padres team. And then I really like the fit of Liam Hicks because the Marlins have said they're kind of open for business, or at least they're listening.
Speaker 1: Listening.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when those reports come out, they kind of piss me off because I feel like, if you're not listening, you're actually not doing your due diligence as a GM's it. But at the same time, do you want to tell people like I don't know, I just the listening thing is so stupid, it's almost you know what that's for. That's for us, Yes, so that we can start in the media doing mock trades. That's what it's for. It's not for anyone else.
Speaker 1: Like maybe encourage them to call and give their best offer, but like I think they're gonna do that anyways, right, So yeah, I And look, the Marlins for the remainder of time will listen maybe a little bit more than other teams because they are going to always try to maximize value because they can't spend that much. So like, yeah, if a team and a catcher, a very catcher hungry market offers the Marlins a haul for William Hicks that their model spits out surplus value, They're probably gonna do it. And that's just how teams, small market teams have to operate. I'm not saying go now shop at a Lopez around or whatever, but you know, I think that's probably how they're going to operate here. Hicks is a great fit because the thing is as solid as your Catcher of the future without a doubt, like you're not so one guy, you're just not blocking. It's probably the one guy ever that preller won't won't block. Hicks can go play first base, you know, next year and and and really be I think think the bat that they were hoping cronen Worth would be offensively so the only drawback would be how does his power play in that park? Blah blah blah. But I think Hicks is a really fun fit. It's just do they have the prospect capital, which we always ask that question to overwhelm the Marlins for Hicks, and that's that would be the question. But I think they possibly could. They also could offer some controllable relief arms to really like sprinkle more excitement on the package to make it interesting.
Speaker 2: Another reason why I like to fit with Hicks is he gets on base, and the Padres have had a really tough time getting on base this season. They were in twenty third in on percentage in Major League Baseball. And Number two is Hicks can also catch. So let's say the Campisano hot streak dies out and Freddy, for mean, is just unplayable because he can't hit. Hicks could be your catcher on top of that, at least in the meantime until you wait for Salas. Because at the end of the day, I know Salas is getting up to triple A right now. I saw the stat line. He's slugging like four fifteen. Like I understand that his defense. But it's not like I don't think he's getting promoted because he's got a twelve hundred oh ps. I think he's getting promoted just because they feel like that's the next step in his evolution. Like I wouldn't be sold that Solace is there opening to catcher next year. I still think it's going to be another year. I don't know as much about prospects as you, but I did see the stat line and thought to myself Okay, he's clearly not the answer this year, and I just see the answer next year. I don't think so either, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: He'll give him a chance, I think just because the glove is so damn good and like the bat to ball is so good. But yeah, I mean that that is the interesting part with like how much do they want to rush it, how much do they want to exp It's definitely not going to be this year. I think it would be kind of shocking if it was, to be honest, so I like the Hick shout. I could see them trying that. I'm very curious if the Marlins rattle off three out of four against the Mets if that changes anything as well, But who knows. The pitching is the most clear cut, and I think Holmes just with the way that Holmes going to attack him, I think it's similar to the way that you can kind of see Michael King attack hitters, and I think that's something that they'll just like to bring in there in Holmes, with his pitch usage and the different ways that he can he can really mix and match with would be fun. I think Hicks is or excuse me, I think Holmes is a great fit.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, trying to predict what the deadline Boogeyman is going to do is just foolish because we have no idea what he's going to do, and that is aj Preller, and he makes the deadline so much fun, and hopefully we've made the deadline a little bit more fun for everybody listening. The best way to support the Just Baseball Show, of course, is to leave a five star review wherever you get your podcasts, and if you're watching us here live on YouTube, the best way to support the show is this mash the like button and the subscribe button. Special shout out to podcast p for brilliant producing. Once again, arm you got anything else before we say goodbye and see everybody tomorrow.
Speaker 1: That's all I just. I can't wait to see what everyone actually ends up happening.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be awesome, same time, same place, tomorrow, one thirty pm Eastern, live here on YouTube, and we have a special guest. Stay tuned. It's Buster Only see you guys with that. Thank you, everybody,