Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to gek mail. It is a show about a gecko reading mail. I have no further explanation to offer than that it is a show about a gecko reading mail. I'm all right, I'm gonna talk about myself for two seconds and then we're gonna read mail. I am in a room in the country of Japan right now recording this podcast. Next week, I'm gonna go on a like a fifty mile walk on the Nakasendo trail in rural Japan. I'm gonna live stream it on twitch dot tv slash lyle forever. I don't know exactly when, but next week, that's my that's my promo. This is my promo for it is uh and it's such sometime next week I will be live on twitch dot tv slash lyle forever. You know how like today's the super Bowl, right, and you know how when usually when people promote events, so they promote things they're doing, they're like, uh, you know, on March fifteenth at two pm, tune in too. You know Fuck that all right, Look sometime next week, if you go to twitch dot tv slash lyle forever, I will be walking around rural Japan with my friend sense Martian. Actually, if you guys remember a podcast that I put out.
Speaker 2: A few months ago, I think.
Speaker 1: Called I Walked Across Japan. I talked to a to a gentleman named sense Martian, and we we you know, we talked about him walking all across Japan. And I am now meeting up with that gentleman and we are going to go on a little walk across Japan at some point next week. We will be live streaming it on.
Speaker 2: Twitch dot tv slash lyle forever. So it's what.
Speaker 1: I don't know when this episode is gonna come out, but I think it will come out on a Wednesday and so on, like Monday or Tuesday. Just go to Twitch dot tv slash law Forever. Follow me on there, and I'll be walking. I'm not gonna do it in the Gecko suit. I thought about doing it in the Gecko suits, and then I decided that I thought about it, and I said I didn't want to because because I don't feel like it. All right, let's read some emails, shall we. Let's read some emails and then we'll talk about them. Okay, this is from Natasha. Subject line walks and SpongeBob really do improve your day.
Speaker 2: Hello Gek.
Speaker 1: My name is Tash and I am an artist and yoga teacher in Copenhagen.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: What a thing to be. What a thing and a place to be in. What a thing to be and a place to be in.
Speaker 2: I have a nice.
Speaker 1: Little story to share with you about your last podcast. I was feeling a bit low about myself, which is a hard cycle to have when you're a yoga teacher because you want to give the best energy you've got. But I've been sick for weeks and today my emotions really got to me. I've struggled with anxiety my whole life, and yoga has always been a core value of mine to help me feel centered again. Teaching has been one of the greatest joys in my life so far. In these moments where I feel a bit anxious, I try to remind myself that I'm human and these are just human emotions. I try to do something simple like go on a walk and the sun started to shine, which means a lot in Scandinavia in winter. I really enjoy listening to your podcast because there's a nice blend of humor, humility and insight. Your last podcast resonated well with me on different topics.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, A.
Speaker 1: Funny little part of my walk happened when you were talking about SpongeBob with a caller. I remember that I laughed, and about thirty seconds later I looked up and saw this mural around my neighborhood. Okay, and it's a picture of SpongeBob. Thanks for reading and creating an email format. Have a great rest of your day, Tash. This person is so nice. This is a really nice, wholesome person. Yes, this is a nice person. This is a nice person who wrote me this email. I don't know if I have anything else to say about this email except that the person who wrote it seems like they are nice.
Speaker 2: Let me.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a nice person who wrote this email. This is a nice picture of SpongeBob. And yes, it's very nice. This is from Ali, subject line death anxiety. All right, Here we go, Here we go, Dear Ghek, I've been having really bad death anxiety lately. Tell me about it, all right. The thought of not existing for eternity after my death freaks me out like crazy. I used to not think about it much, however, now what is all I think about? I have been thinking about multiple theories of what else could possibly happen after death. I am not a religious person and am agnostic. I have a theory that we spawn into the next phase of existence and move on with a whole new life. I don't see this as an afterlife, just as the next phase. Do you ever feel afraid of the thought that there is a more than likely chance that we cease to exist for eternity after death?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that scares me, But it's kind of nice.
Speaker 1: Because it's everyone right, Like, you could have lived the most beautiful life ever, and you can you achieve the heights of your indusy in your career, and you can raise ten beautiful children with your beautiful wife or husbands. You can travel to every country on the earth, and you can have be respected and admired and loved by all. Or you can play a lot of video games and kill people and be horrible. And I don't know why I combine. I don't know why I combined playing video games and killing people. I'm about this whole episode just I'm just I'm this is gonna be a sloppy episode, just so everyone knows. But I just I trust the people listening to this and that were all along for the same ride.
Speaker 2: So just buckle up, we're gonna do this.
Speaker 1: Okay, So video game killing guy and Nelson Mandela good person.
Speaker 2: We all die.
Speaker 1: Everyone dies, and so it's an equalizer. And so what it means is that nothing you do matters. But that's not true too. I told you, just give me a sloppy episode. Yeah, but you're not alone. I want you to know something, Ali, is that the alternative is way worse. The alternative for you is the loneliest thing I could possibly imagine, Because Ali, think about this.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're going to die.
Speaker 1: And you're going to cease far all of eternity, but it's so beautiful. You're part of the whole community of not just human beings, but you know, plants and hamsters and everything that we all die. Imagine the alternative, Ali, imagine if just you.
Speaker 2: Lived forever. That would be awful.
Speaker 1: That would be the That would be the loneliest fucking thing that I could possibly imagine.
Speaker 2: That's the worst fate of all times.
Speaker 1: So if you had to pick between that and what you've got right now, which is this beautiful thing, which is that you're participating in the most communal experience you could possibly have as a living creature. You would absolutely want that over, you know, living forever. I think death would suck more if, like you know what suck is, if everything that was ever born inherently lived forever, but Ali, But what if just you died?
Speaker 2: That would suck?
Speaker 1: Right if you were endowed with this gift of if if the general experience of all life forms were that you live forever until otherwise noted, but just you, Ali, just you died, that would suck. That would be something to be afraid of. But that's not the case. That's not what's happening to you. What's happening to you is that you are joining the rest of not only humanity, but also every bug and every dog and every octopus. And you're gonna never be anything. And that's that's good. That never being anything is way better than being too much forever. So I hope you take solace in that.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: This is from Tom, subject line this sucks. I'm interested in this email, Hi, Lyle. I'm a big fan of what you're doing. Thank you, Tom, God bless you Tom. About a year ago, I became vegan after watching a documentary about animal agriculture. I was a little high on LSD when I watched it, and I realized for the first time that every animal, just like us, experiences the world. They don't have the same shape or intelligence as us, but they do feel and they can suffer. People kill one point two trillion animals per year.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 1: It sounds it sounds more one point two trillion. Do we really kill one point two trillion animals per year?
Speaker 2: You know what, let's roll with that.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna fact check it because this is a podcast and so we don't have to fact check anything here. This spiraled me into a depression thinking about it every day. I wanted to stop, but there was nothing I could do but focus on my contribution. This was the hardest mental challenge I ever had to overcome. I still get sad when I think about it, but it's nowhere as bad as it was. Anyway, much love from Chechia. Okay, so this guy, this guy's upset that one point two trillion animals per year die or not.
Speaker 2: They don't die either're killed by uh people who love eating delicious animals. That's that. You know. It sucks. It sucks more than animals.
Speaker 1: I think it would it would suck more if animals weren't so delicious, because then it would be.
Speaker 2: More black and white.
Speaker 1: If people were just killing animals for no reason, you know, then maybe this is gonna be situ whatever I'm putting this on the internet. If animals weren't so delicious, I think it would be easier to be upset that were killing so many of them, you know what I mean, Because like, if there was just some guy out there who was like killing chickens for no reason, he just wanted to, he just thought it was fun, that'd be fucked up. But there's lots of guys out there killing a lot of chickens because chickens are so delicious, and so it's not as black and white as as the situations with the situation would have you think.
Speaker 2: I do find it.
Speaker 1: I've gone on this rant so many times to people in my personal life, and I'm sure I've gone on it on the podcast. But found it quite interesting the very arbitrary lines that we draw between what animals are okay to kill in mass versus not like like if you kill and eat a dog, you're a you're an awful crazy person in in in modern society, killing and eating a dog is frowned upon, but you can kill and eat infinite chickens and no one cares, and there's no And here's the thing that's weird about that is there's really there's no real, honest, god reason why. Because Tom in this email is correct, every animal, just like us, feels can suffer. All those chickens suffered immeasurable pain when we killed and ate them. Does that mean we should stop prop Probably? Probably, But I'm still gonna eat chickens because they're so because they're good, and I don't have to kill them. I think if I had to, if every time I wanted to eat chicken, I had to look at a baby, I had to look at a chicken and I had to stab it with a knife and I had to kill it, I don't think I would eat chicken anymore.
Speaker 2: But we there's.
Speaker 1: Like, there's people who kill who do that, who like I think they like it.
Speaker 2: They probably like it. They love killing chickens, And so.
Speaker 1: We let we have a beneficial relationship with the people who love killing chickens because we don't we because like we as in you know, people like me, people who like eating chicken but don't like killing them.
Speaker 2: Have a.
Speaker 1: We have a beneficial relationship because I like to eat chicken, but I don't like kill it. So I rely on someone out there who loves to kill to kill the chickens so they don't have to do it, but I can still eat them. And you know what, Tom, You're right, this is probably fucked up. It's probably fucked up. But uh, you know, yeah, like, why is my life so much more important than a chicken's life? I don't have a good answer to that question. It makes me depressed too. I don't have a good answer to that question.
Speaker 2: The truth, the truth is.
Speaker 1: The answer is that it's not my life, and your life and the life of everyone listening to this podcast is not inherently, for some fucking reason, that much more important than the life of a chicken. It's a little narciss I think it's a little narcissistic to think that you're that much more important than a chicken.
Speaker 2: But we do.
Speaker 1: We just I think that's our brains are hardwired to believe that we as human beings are superior to chickens. But yeah, like, what, like human life is inherently value. We've kind of decided societally. What am I doing right now?
Speaker 2: What am I?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: This is? You know what?
Speaker 1: You know? I'm gonna kep you know what. I'm gonna keep going. Whoever is If you're listening to this in your car right now or while you're folding laundry and you're still with me, I really love you. I appreciate you for for giving me your time to go on this aimless rant that doesn't make any I'm gonna keep going. Well, I don't even know what I was talking about it anymore, but I'm gonna try to see if I can keep going.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna this.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make this a three hour podcast about chickens.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not. I don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, but anyway, the whole point, the look, the point is is that chicken lives don't matter, but also neither do humans, and so I'm just we should all kill and eat each other.
Speaker 2: Let's read another question. Let's read another email. All right, This is.
Speaker 1: From Aiden. Okay, this is from Aiden. Subject line is girlfriend. Aiden says, I really want a girlfriend, but I don't know how to talk to women. I also happen to have autism, so I tend to miss out on social cues? Is there any way I can get a girlfriend sent from my iPhone?
Speaker 2: There? You know? Aren't here's aren't there also.
Speaker 1: Women out there who who don't, who also similarly tend to miss out on social cues? Is there a way for you to find them? I think didn't they made? There's a whole TV show about this, like love on the Spectrum? Couldn't you theoretically find somebody who also is not great at social cues and you guys can be happy together on and.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know, aiden I don't. I feel like you only gave me three sentences to work with.
Speaker 1: But I think I even with these three sentences, I do I think you can find a girlfriend. Yeah, I think you can find a girlfriend. I don't know anything about your life, but you know, uh, brush your teeth, be employed, try your best to not be you know, to not say anything like completely utterly insane, and you can probably like missing out on a few social cues is not is not going to be the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You only give me three sentences to work with, but I'm gonna assume you're not like an evil insane person, and so as long as you're not, I mean, honestly, even if you were an evil, insane person, you could probably also even if you if this email didn't, if this email said I really want a girlfriend, but I am an evil, insane person.
Speaker 2: Is there any way to get a girlfriend?
Speaker 1: I would also I would still say yes, because you could just find another evil insane person to date. And whatever kind of person you are, you can there's another there's an opposite gender version of you or same gender whatever you know you're looking for.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you can.
Speaker 1: I think you'll be okay, I think you can find a girlfriends. Yeah, I believe in you. Aiden Okay. This is from Wesley Anderson, subject line therapy. Gecko made me dress up in blackface?
Speaker 2: All right, I don't. I don't read.
Speaker 1: I just I don't read these emails before I read them live on the show.
Speaker 2: I probably should. I don't.
Speaker 1: I used to screen the phone calls. I don't really do that anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm this whole thing.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to this right now in your car and you're still here with me, I just God, bless you.
Speaker 2: I really love you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being here, and thanks for letting me continue to remain in your brain, in your ear. Let's see what this email says, Hey, GEK, Long story short, I dressed up as Therapy get Goo for Halloween. But the face pant I used was too dark and I couldn't make the color lighter and.
Speaker 2: So it looked like blackface.
Speaker 1: But I didn't make you do that, by the way, Okay, and he sent the picture. It looks fine. You look, it doesn't look like it doesn't look like that. It doesn't look like that. Let's keep going. You know what, I realized. I'm feeling a little bit more powerful because I realized that I can stop reading an email halfway through. If I'm like a couple of sentences into an email and I don't want to read the whole thing, I can just keep going.
Speaker 2: You ever realized there's no rules? Isn't that crazy? I don't know why in this.
Speaker 1: I've been doing this podcast for four years and I have this rigid way that I feel like I have to do it. And now I'm like, why don't I just I can do whatever I can. I'll be okay, all right. Uh. This is from Carson. Subject line life sucks. Carson says, why does life suck? It feels like I'm stuck in the same loop over and over again. I go out places and try to socialize. I just feel like an outcast anywhere I go. I just IDK. What's the point of socializing, and what's the point of life anymore? Deck shit seems pointless anymore when you're already down and keep getting screwed.
Speaker 2: I just isolate. It sucks.
Speaker 1: I just want to figure shit out, but I don't even know where to start. Fuck all right, let's talk about this. Let's talk about this, Carson, Let's talk about this. You feel like an outcast anywhere you go. I have I could go on a rant about this. I have like advice, I guess because I'm with you too, like any you go like, cause you kind of inherently are, and like no matter you know, whatever, whoever you are or whoever you think, I'm not talking to you specifically, I'm just talking to people whoever you are, or whoever you think you are, whatever you think you are, Like if you have this image in your brain of like, why would anyone want to talk to me? I kind of suck and I'm not that interesting in all these things. And you and you kind of walk around like that. It becomes like a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. But you are inherently an outcast wherever you go, Like if you go to a bar and you try to start talking to people and you like talk to a group of friends, You're like, you are an outcast inherently, And so what's the antidote to that. The antidote, at least to me, this is I'm just speaking from my own life experience because it's all I have is you gotta kind of find a way to create your own cast to be in. We've never lived in a world where it was easier to do that. The tools are available, Carson, Now I'm speaking to Carson. For you to create your own thing, you gotta like some And I don't know what you like. I only know what you hate. I only know that you're depressed. But I don't know, dude, Maybe you fucking like legos and maybe you just start the Lego discord. You don't even have to go outside to do this now, because I was gonna say, you could go to the local community center and start start the Lego club and then have a bunch of lego friends.
Speaker 2: You don't even have to leave your fucking computer to do it.
Speaker 1: Now, you don't even have to leave your computer to go on go make friends, So why don't you. I don't know what you were into, Carson, but I'm gonna assume you're into Legos, because I'm just the only way for me to, I think, talk about this is to assume things about you. So I'm gonna assume you love Legos, and I'm gonna suggest that you start the Lego Lover's Discord and you go on the Lego subreddit and you're like, hey, everyone, I started a discord channel for people who love Legos, and some fucking some other guy who hates his life is gonna be like, Hey, I hate my life and I love Legos. And then all of a sudden, you're gonna be in a cloud. You're gonna start You're gonna be in the DMS with some fucking guy who hates his life and loves Legos, and then you're gonna be like, hey, you know what, I'm not alone in hating my life and loving Legos. There's other people out here.
Speaker 2: Who hate life and love Legos.
Speaker 1: And all I had to do was start the Lego lovers Discord, and now here I am and I have a friend to enjoy the suckage of life with, because that's if you have, If you ever can find other people to commiserate with, that's the only hope when uh you have I think, when the world is ending around you, what am I talking about? Go start Go start a lego Discord Carson. That's I guess what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: I believe in you. I really do. I really all that.
Speaker 1: I just just while I'm while I'm in this headspace, just I really feel like I can't. One of the one of my downfalls I think as a person is that I am optimistic for all people. I try to be because I can't because I want to. I so deeply want to be optimistic for my own personal life prosperity and my own personal like I want to be optimistic for myself. I want to believe that my life will continue to be good and that all of my that because I have problems as a human being, as all human beings do, and in order for me to believe that my life problems are gonna continue to are going to improve, I have to believe the same thing for literally every single other human being on the planet Earth, which I'm beginning to realize is unrealistic, right, Because if I can't be optimistic for Carson, how am I going to this is gonna be optimistic for myself. I think that's a bit of a faulty way of thinking, though, because you can't just assume you can't be optimistic for everything. You can't truly believe that everything is going to work out for every single person on the planet Earth. It's just not realistic. But you can, but you can. You can still do it. Yeah, fuck it, you can still do it even if it's not realistic. I'm optimistic for Carson. Let's keep going, all right. This is from Jonas. The subject line is met a beautiful girl. All right, Jonah says, Hey Geck, anonymous mailer, hero an anonymous mailer here, anonymous mailman here. I have a matter i'd like your opinion on. I don't think I'm necessarily looking for advice, but just a different perspective. I go to art school and last fall I caught the most beautiful girl I've ever seen staring straight at me on.
Speaker 2: The first day of class. La la.
Speaker 1: I've only really felt this way with one person, ever, so I had to go say what's up. We slowly got to know each other and even started studying together at a coffee shop once a week. Oh that's cute. Then Halloween came around. I asked her where plans were because I obviously wanted to get drunk with this person on Halloween.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: We go to school in Savannah, Georgia, which is an extra spooky southern town.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It was then revealed to me that she had a boyfriend, frownie fan. This fucked me up bad for a few weeks, on top of other life things. Honestly still kind of fucked up about it. Okay, he wrote a bunch of other things, but then he wrote, am I cooked?
Speaker 2: Geck? Uh yeah, a little bit? If you are you cooked? Hold on?
Speaker 1: That was I'm I'm going. I'm saying the first thing that comes into my brain instead, which is not always accurate. You know you're not cooked? Jonas, Go what what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Jonas? Uh? Yeah, this person has a boyfriend. Go go go meet another lady.
Speaker 1: You're in college, You're surrounded You're in college, You're surrounded by tons of other people. Go talk to some of them.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: There's nothing that I don't have any I don't I could sit here and try to force myself to say more words about this email, but that's this email doesn't need more words than that. Let's go talk to someone, man, go talk to some other people. That's all I got.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is from Philip, subject line twitch stream copyrights. Philip says, Hey, Lyle, I hope you're doing well. I listened to your podcast a lot while I game. I also stream on Twitch, and I was wondering if I could play your podcasts on my stream while I'm live on Twitch. Sure, sure, go ahead, Yeah, go ahead, you can do that this, Yeah, go ahead. That's legally, by the way, that's legally binding. That's legally, that's legal permission.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Oh this is a long email, but I'm gonna try. Okay, Oh oh, okay, all right, all right, this is okay. Ok Does anyone remember last time, last time I did this, I called a guy and who was like obsessed with his ex and plotting to destroy his ex's new boyfriends.
Speaker 2: You guys, remember that guy I called you? Okay, Well, if you don't.
Speaker 1: Remember, I called someone on the phone who was plotting to destroy their ex's boyfriend, and I was a little concerned for him. And now he's back and he's he's he's he has an update. So let's read. This is a this is a huge paragraph.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna read.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read every other sentence of this paragraph.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Uh. This is from Oscar, subject line over my ex now and I can't talk to boring people.
Speaker 2: Lyle, Hello, it's Oscar. I remember you. Oscar.
Speaker 1: I wanted to give you the news that I'm over my ex and I deleted all the notes of my plan to destroy her new relationship. That's good. I'm feeling more confident, that's good. Okay, I'm gonna skim this email. I am feeling numb sometimes but trying to get everything out of my feelings and enjoying each moment more than ever. That's good. This is okay, it's just good. I feel good about this. Okay, I I all right, fuck, I'll just okay.
Speaker 2: I can't. I don't think I can skim read this.
Speaker 1: I am somewhat feeling numb sometimes still, but trying to get everything out of my feelings and enjoying each moment more than ever, and not being embarrassed of being me. Uh, okay, I this sorry, this is kind of a whole run on sentence.
Speaker 2: I can't really read this, but I hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, this is good. I'm sorry, I'm I'm noticed. I'm realizing now that the people listening to me read these emails or don't have the same amount of information that I do, because I'm looking at the email and I'm kind of filtering the information that I'm giving to the people listening to this because I have more.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense? It was a good email. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is from Elena. Okay, this is from Elena. Subject line, the world is so full of hate? Why Elena says?
Speaker 2: What's good?
Speaker 1: Lyle My name is Elena. I'm twenty six, and I'm tired of existing in a world where so many people are ignorant to the way I live my life. While yes, some of the ways I present myself to the world may be considered unconventional, it doesn't hurt anyone, and it contributes to my overall happiness. Why can't people just see me as a person who wants to live a healthy, happy life. Well, Elena, listen, this all the email says I fucking well, look, Elena, I mean you have uh uh, you can't control the way that other people see you. You can't. You just can't. You really can't. You know, you can't make anything. You just instead, I think truthfully, if I were you, and I don't want to be a fuck I don't want to be a hippie guy, but I'm gonna do it for just this moment. I'm gonna go, this is a little moment of this podcast. I'm gonna carve out to be a little hippie douchebag. And I'm gonna tell you, Alana that why don't you stop focusing or giving a fuck about the people who.
Speaker 2: Don't like the way you live your life? You can? You have the option to just.
Speaker 1: Ignore them and focus completely on people who are accepting of your way of life.
Speaker 2: Don't you have that option?
Speaker 1: And you know, if you want to be a pessimist and say that you don't and you have to and what you can, but you can you have the option to mitigate it at some point there is you, I just.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: The option exists to mitigate the amount of attention.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe you like are at a job that you have to work, and there's people around that are annoying that you know you don't want to.
Speaker 2: Have to deal with. But you have the option to mitigate.
Speaker 1: In your own brain the amount of resource and attention and energy that you give to those people. And I'm just letting you know that you can mitigate that if you want to. Okay, what have you learned about Okay? This is from Aiden subject line what have you learned about humans over time on your show? What is the most interesting thing you've learned about humans? They smell bad?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: This is from Melanie subject line being in love with a fictional character helped me better myself as a person.
Speaker 2: Hey gek.
Speaker 1: As the subject line suggests, I've been in love with a fictional guy for over a year now and it shows no signs of stopping. I'll try not to go into his character too much, but essentially the guy I like is extremely nihilistic and due to the fact that he worked academically hard like society expected of him, but got screwed over and ended up in a place and job he hates. Because of that, he blames society for all his problems, yet doesn't take any action to better his life. Or make any deep connections. Basically, he's a total loser, but he ended up being extremely relatable to me. When I first played the game he was in. His character showed me that if I didn't try to get out there and actually do things, I'll end up as a person I wouldn't want to be and would likely blame outside circumstances for it. In essence, I didn't want to end up like him. Since then, my life has genuinely changed for the better. I'm more open about my interests, which led me to finding my best friend, reconnecting with old friends, and I even got a girlfriend. This character motivates me to get up and do the boring life, and I'm generally a more positive person now. I get so much joy out of seeing fan art of this character and drawing him, and those things help me get through life. There are times where I still feel like my life is miserable, but thinking about this character makes me recognize that I don't have to drown and sorrow, and I can make deal with what I have. If anyone is wondering who the character is, it's Toru A Daci from Persona four. I always find it extremely ironic that the fictional guy I love so much is objectively a bad person, but he's not real, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Melanie.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Interesting, you know, I'm gonna say, you know, look, I think having a character from a video game inspire you to be a better person. Good, dear God, good good. This is why they make stuff. This is why we this is why fiction exists.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have that.
Speaker 1: Right, like, like I think would like I've talked about this story on the show a lot, like I'm I'm deeply inspired by Woody from Toy Story. I'm gonna go on this rant because I'm gonna I've gone on it before, I'm gonna go on it again. I'm deeply inspired by Woody from Toy Story because in Toy Story three, uh, you know, lots so hugging Bear. I don't know if you guys know the plot of Toy Story three, but basically, in Toy Story three, the toys are banished to the Sunshine Daycare Facility and it's ran by uh, lots so hugging Bear and I don't remember any I don't remember the movie at all, but basically, in it, lots of hugging Bear.
Speaker 2: He fucks over the toys.
Speaker 1: And he gets he basically arranges for them to be thrown in the trash, but somehow lots of Hugging Bear himself also gets thrown in the trash, right, And so lots of Hugging Bear and Woody and Buzz, light Year and all the other toys, they're all in the trash system. I think I've told this story at least four times. I think I tell I think I do at least one podcast episode a year where I recap my favorite scene of Toy Story three.
Speaker 2: So we're getting this one out of the way early.
Speaker 1: And so they're all in the trash room and they're about to be like incinerated, and Woody is like, oh, okay, if we grab a metal object, we will magnetically float above the incinerator and we will escape death. And so Woody grabs a spoon, Buzz grabs a little metal ball, and everyone escapes from the incinerator.
Speaker 2: But then Woody looks down.
Speaker 1: And he sees the lotso Hugging Bear, who is the reason they are in this mess in the first place, is tracked underneath a big can or something right whatever, And so what does Woody do does Woody does what he look at lots of hugging Bear and he goes, yeah, serves you, right, you motherfucker you. Yeah, you does what he watched with glee as lots of hugging Bear burns to death as retribution for what he has done to Woody and his friends.
Speaker 2: No, that's not what wood he does.
Speaker 1: You know what he does what He climbs back down to the incinerator and he lifts the can of chocolate whatever the fuck it was, he lifts it off of lots of hugging bear and they both grab a spoon together, and he say he saves lots of hugging bear, even though lots of hugging bear is the reason they're fucking down there in the first place. And I thought I always thought that that was admirable of Woody. Later, lots of hugging Bear betrays Woody again, even after that, which is fucked up wood He probably should have let lots of hugging Bear die.
Speaker 2: But the point is that, you know, whatever you.
Speaker 1: Can get in life to make you not feel like a piece of shit, you take you take it. If it's you know, if it's drugs and alcohol, just take it.
Speaker 2: It's good. Those are things are good. For you.
Speaker 1: No, if it's a character from a video game, just take it whatever you can get to make yourself feel not miserable and insane in what is by default a slightly insane experience, the experience of being alive. If Toro Adaci makes you feel like a better person than then run with it to the fucking bank.
Speaker 2: Dude. That's what I think.
Speaker 1: Someone in the chats at how is this going to relate to this girl masturbating to Toro. I don't think she talked about masturbating. All right, Uh, this is I'm not going to reread the email to see if she did, though. This is from Kelsey. A subject line is office Baby. Hey GEK, you can call me a Rose. All right, well, I already called you the other name. I wanted to call in and tell you how grateful I am for your podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you Kelsey.
Speaker 1: It has been or I guess Rose, Thank you Rose. It has been motivating to hear about people living their best life while working a typical jobs like running an ice cream truck or handing out free monster beverages. I also loved those two episodes. I loved those two callers. They were sick. It gives me hope that there are endless ways to live a happy life. That fucking gives me hope too. That being said, I am struggling postgraduation to find a career that sustains and satisfies me. I've been working real hard to pursue a job in furniture design, and I am almost there. A trial run at a furnish and design firm is nearly complete, but I'm worried about what to do next if they don't accept me, or even worse, if I get the job but don't end up happy. I have two questions for you, okay. Number one, I am the youngest person at this four person firm by decades, and I could easily be my coworker's child at the age of twenty two. How can I connect better with the older generation? Why would I know that too? If I don't get the job, I will be devastated. However, I hope it will also give me the final push I need to move out of my home state of Michigan. As a person who has traveled all around the US, where would you recommend an outdoorsy, artistic, snow loving person like me to live?
Speaker 2: I'll answer question number two.
Speaker 1: I've never been here, but I've heard that Asheville, North Carolina is pretty cool. Asheville, North Carolina, I've heard is pretty cool. Portland, Maine. Fucking Baltimore, Maryland. But uh, yeah, go you sound like a like a hippie ish artsy granola lady, you might. And I've heard that Ashville, North Carolina is like that's that's where, That's where all those kinds of people migrates.
Speaker 2: Is from what I've heard.
Speaker 1: So if you if you want to take a if you want to take a recommendation of of uh where to move your entire life from uh, from a podcast from a guy you've never met who's never been to the place he's telling you to go, then you should go to Asheville, North Carolina. How do you connect better with the older generation? Talk to them about Sudoku?
Speaker 2: All right, this is.
Speaker 1: From UH Terry. The subject line is Chubb Rubb hey gak. I was listening to your episode on The Guy with Drones where you talked about not having a and walking around to New York City.
Speaker 2: You then went on to rant about your quote.
Speaker 1: Big fat thick dowe piggy thighs that chafe when you walk This hurt to hear that you think about yourself like this. But I get your pain. This is not how I think about myself. This is the reality of my body. It is okay, it's fine, it's dude, it's the reality of my body. Is that my thighs are It's not a self image thing.
Speaker 2: It's this. This is reality.
Speaker 1: My thighs are dowe and the chafe when I walk. It is a problem that I is a thing I don't like about my body that I am act that I am happily actively working on fixing.
Speaker 2: Oh crap, I fucked up the microphone.
Speaker 1: It is a thing about my body that I have accepted as a reality, and I'm actively working towards fixing anyway. As a lady from the plus sized community. Also, with thick thighs, what you're experiencing is called chub rub. We all get them, especially during summer. But there are solutions. Most of us wear little shorts. You can also put deodorant on your thighs or vasilene on you I'm just gonna try to lose the weight. That's that's by the way, just so everyone knows, I'm not I have no interest in ever telling anyone else what to do with their lives. But for me, I think, well, I'm just gonna lose the weight. That's my that's what I want to do. So that's my plan.
Speaker 2: We'll see how it.
Speaker 1: I'll let you know in a year if it actually worked. And thank you by the way, Terry. Just so you know, I want you to I really appreciate you. You are clearly a very sweet, kind person who is attempting to be helpful to me right now. And I'm being a jerk and dismissing your help. But I want you to know I recognize the thought behind this email, and I use it's very sweet and very kind. So I I appreciate you, Terry. And what this email says something else. Love your podcast. Hope you do a live show in Switzerland sometime, are you for? Do you live in Switzerland?
Speaker 2: That sounds pretty cool? Thank you, Terry. You're sweet. You're sweet person. God bless you. All Right.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is from Brodie. Subject line should I keep doing drugs?
Speaker 2: People? This has become a recent I very very recently.
Speaker 1: People have been because I talk a lot about smoking weed almost every day, and people recently have been calling me and they've been like Hey, man, I also smoke weed every do you think I should stop? And my answer to that question is the same my answer to that my answer to the question of whether or not.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna call.
Speaker 1: The show and you're gonna ask me if you think you should stop smoking weed every day, my answer to you will be the same as the answer I give myself when I ask myself should I stop smoking weed every day?
Speaker 2: And the answer is probably, Hello, gecko.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to think of something to write about, but it feels like my brain is turning to mush as I think about what to write. Anyways, I met someone that has completely changed my life. I used to smoke weed every day and sometimes do shrooms, but ever since I met this person, they have been telling me to stop smoking and quit drugs. In all, it's been two months since I laugh smoked, and I feel it's been two months since I last smoked, and it feels like my life is worse.
Speaker 2: See, there we go.
Speaker 1: This is why I try not to tell people what to do with their lives, because maybe this particular person is reporting that's smoking weed every day made their life better. I don't know if it did. Actually, I'm not a doctor. I'm a crazy person. I think I was happier when I did drugs. Well, yeah, of course, even though it felt like I was going crazy from time to time, it kind of felt like my life had more purpose, which I know sounds dumb, but that is the way I feel. What do you think I should do? Should I keep smoking like a boss? Should I keep smoking like a boss or just give up on it for the sake of my mental health? Oh man, oh god, this is too much personal, This is too much responsibility to read these emails. Let's see. Let's see, should this person stop smoking weed? The answer is probably. Every single time I asked. The answer to myself, the answer to you, the answer to anyone else who's wondering if they should stop smoking weed, The answer is pro probably, probably, probably, probably, yeah probably, I don't know. I don't The answer is I don't know, but yeah, probably, I don't know. Do you think, yeah, probably.
Speaker 2: You should probably stop doing drugs? Okay?
Speaker 1: This is from Matthew. Subject line I want to do a backflip. Hey, gak, you can call me Maddie.
Speaker 2: What's up, Maddie.
Speaker 1: I decided a few days ago, I want to do a backflip off a ski jump. But then a couple of days after that, it turns out I'm not going skiing this year like I thought.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: I decided this after seeing a bunch of skiing stuff on Instagram, including a few cool crashes.
Speaker 2: Dude, what hold on? What?
Speaker 1: You saw a bunch of people? You saw a bunch of ski crashes, and then you were like, I want to also get horrifically injured. Why. I realized then that having a bad skiing accident would be the coolest fucking thing, and I wouldn't be mad at myself if my life went to shit because it looks cool. Okay, you're a I don't.
Speaker 2: I really.
Speaker 1: You look people people know. I think the people who listen to this podcast know. Hopefully they assume about me. I try, I really really, it's really important to me. I think that the universe, I really think. I mean this so much. The Internet is filled with like podcasts and YouTube videos of people, you know, being like, Hey, this person's a fucking idiot and like fuck you and whatever. And I try to be non judgment I try to be non judgmental, and I try to be open minded. But Maddie, you're one of the biggest fucking idiots I've ever encountered in my entire life.
Speaker 2: You're a complete idiot, and no what I think you're Are you trolling? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: You want to have a bad skiing accident because it would be cool, Matthew, I'm telling you this because I value your life as a human being that I think you are one of the dumbest people I have ever encountered in my entire life. Okay, hold on, okay, you said I will Okay, I'm gonna reread this. Having a bad skiing accident would be the coolest fucking thing, and I wouldn't be mad at myself if my life went to shit because of.
Speaker 2: It, because it looks cool.
Speaker 1: By comparison, you could break your pelvis from falling down the stairs and this or break your pelvis by falling fifty feet out of the air on a jump. This is why I want to do a backflip, because I like risky shit. Thanks, Lyle, have a great day. Yes, I think you're an idiot. But here's the thing, matt Mattie is I think you're an idiot, but I also fundamental I think in like a libertarian sense, I think I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of my life beliefs.
Speaker 1: Are works in progress, and that's why I hate recording them and putting them on the internet forever.
Speaker 2: But I think, in this.
Speaker 1: Very moment, on February tenth, twenty twenty five, as I'm recording this email, I kind of almost feel like I support your right to be a fucking complete idiot and do a backflip and destroy and essentially you're essentially you want to kill yourself by doing a backflip off of a ski jump. But not in like I'm depressed and I want to kill myself kind of way, but more in like I think it would be cool. I think it would look cool to kill myself. I don't think you should do it.
Speaker 2: I really don't.
Speaker 1: If you ask me my opinion right now, I don't think you should do it. I really don't, Matthew. But I think you're beyond my reasoning. I hope you don't. That's the best I can do for this email, Matthew, is I hope you don't attempt to kill yourself by doing a backflip on a ski thing. All right, let's keep going here. Chat am I insane? I feel like I've been I feel like I've been being a crazy person for this entire podcast. I need you all to tell me if I'm acting like a crazy person. All right, let's keep going. All right, this is from John. All right, this this person is annoying, and we're not gonna bleep out his name. We're gonna put in his real name. This okay, This person's okay, all right, you know what. I'm gonna dox this person against I'm gonna dox this person. This person said, this person's real name is Johnny, but they said, please don't use my real name, call me John. I'm gonna call you Johnny. I'm gonna dox you. You're getting doxed. This person's name is Johnny, and they're like, please don't use my real name, call me John. All right, you're getting docs Johnny. All right, Hello, mister gecko man, Please don't use my real name, call me John. My name is John and I am from the UK. My partner and I are big fans of your stream. Recent saw you in London at the Clapham Gram and the show was fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That was one of my favorite live shows that I have done. That show is fun. I am a big fan of your viewer mail streams and really wanted to write in to ask the wise Green Man for some advice.
Speaker 2: So here goes.
Speaker 1: I feel like I work lots at my job and never make time for what I actually liked doing. I used to play music all the time, playing in bands and recording my own tunes. It was always something that put me in the flow state. I left the band about three years ago now to do my own thing. The band was a bit of an ego fest and I didn't like the vibes and I always wanted to front my own band, So I left and had a bit of a wobble at the same time having some therapy but not getting much out of it. I haven't done much at all since anyway. Fast forward to twenty twenty five, and the older I have got, the more I've realized I needed to just do what makes me happy, which is playing my guitar and writing songs about whatever comes to mind at the time.
Speaker 2: GHEK.
Speaker 1: The question is how do I make more time for this? Okay, this email, Okay, here's the thing, john Johnny, I'm gonna look Johnny John, Okay, John, John, Johnny, listen, you have the time to write this email, right like, here's what you Here's what you, dude, I mean, just like, stun on. I don't I'm I'm such a hypocrite. I'm gonna I'm gonna go into major, major hypocrite mode. I'm truly only beginning to realize, after a decade plus of being addicted to the fucking Internet, how much time I'm giving to it? Right Because John, I'm gonna assume you had you had at least enough time to write this email. You have time to make music. Just never go on Reddit, Never go on Twitter. Never look at Instagram, never look at Facebook. Get off your phone. You have, you know, sleep fucking eight hours that you have time. I'm I assure you that you have time. Do you have kids?
Speaker 2: Like you have a job, and then what like.
Speaker 1: I just just just cut out, cut out the bullshit, you know, I don't know. It's just such a hypocrite thing to say, because I love bullshit so much. I love doing bullshit. I love looking at Reddit. I don't I hate somebody in the chat sad ignore your kids and skip work. You could do that too, Yeah, I don't know, man. I just feel like the fact you had time to write this email means you have time to make some music, you know, just make the time. I don't know, man, Thank you John that John.
Speaker 2: Thank you're a nice person. John.
Speaker 1: I can tell you're a sweet man. But just just get off of the internet.
Speaker 2: Just go just block all all of the you have.
Speaker 1: If you have time to write this email, you have time to make music, all right, all right? This is from finn uh subject line I want to do cool stuff. Dearest Gecko. You can read my name if you want to. I don't really mind. I d k if you remember me, but I'm the guy you met at your double show who gave you the dairy milk chocolate bar. Oh shit, yeah, that was that was really good. I don't really have any stories to tell you or nothing, but I want to say the advice you gave on one of your gech Male episodes change my perspective on a lot of things. Oh shit's yeah, what was it? I think it was about some guy who wanted to live in the wild for a TV show, and you said to just do things for yourself and don't ask others for permission to live your dreams.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 1: I remember that your advice put the wind of my sales to go and do things for myself rather for other people. I'm really enjoying the process of making music and drawing, and I'm excited for the future. See this might be more like Finn, dude, be more like Finn. Finn's making music, he's drawing, he's living life. He's just doing it. Finn at Finn, you know. And they're both And you guys are both in the UK, Finn and John. Oh. I wish finnin Joel. Maybe Finn and John should start a band together.
Speaker 2: That could be cool. Thank you, Finn. Finn's a good guy. I like I. I appreciate my UK homies out here. All right.
Speaker 1: This is from Evan subject line Lufa, what up?
Speaker 2: Lyle?
Speaker 1: Love your vides, but could never get on the show to tell you this. I'm gonna scold you now, so apologies. I have a random memory from an episode where a girl said her roommate threw her loofah on the floor and you were like, oh, I've never heard of that. I just use my hands to put soap on my body. And here's what I have to say about that. You gotta lather bro It's most efficient to use a loofah or sponge to lather up soap until it gets all sudsy first. You could possibly be saving thousands of dollars on soap. Okay, I'm I'm not dude, Evan, I'm not gonna be saving thousands of I do not spend thousands of dollars on soap a day. I mean not a day a year. I spend less than one hundred dollars on soap a year for sure. Anyway, I'm just messing with you. Man. People talk about you saying you don't brush your teeth before bed sometimes, but I do that too, so I empathize with you in many ways.
Speaker 2: Have a good one, gexter.
Speaker 1: I brush my teeth before bed at least sixty five percent of the time.
Speaker 2: Pretty good ratio. People. I think brushing brushing your teeth, by the way, is.
Speaker 1: Rather new phenomenon in human history. I think, hold on, when did I'm gonna google this? When did people start brushing their teeth?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: If you fucking go on Google and you just type in when did people start? It will auto fill When did people start brushing their teeth? People began cleaning their teeth with twigs as early as five thousand BC. All Right, fuck, all right, I can't use this as the excuse anymore. M all right, let's keep going. All right, Let's answer a couple more. Let's answer a couple more of these. Alright, This is from Julia. Subject line GHEK, I am so fucked Hi, Lyle, thank you for a great show in Toronto last year. It was so fun. You're the best kick ass. Thank you Julia that those were fun shows. Anyway, I have kind of a I have kind of fucked up my life. Not in a way that can't be fixed. I haven't killed anyone or had a child or something to that degree. But I'm stuck in an industry I hate, with no way out and barely any money, struggling to find a path toward my dream career because I have no experience, I have no social life, and I've never had a relationship. In my late twenty I am at square one. I feel like I have nothing at a time when other people my age have families and fulfilling careers. What would you do if you were me? It kind of feels like I can do anything. Since I'm starting with nothing, But I don't know where to begin. So maybe someone else's perspective will help, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Julia, it's here.
Speaker 1: Look, it's hard for me to really answer this question because I don't. You said you're struggling to find a path towards your dream career. But I don't know what your dream career is.
Speaker 2: But like I mean, you have, I don't. I you know what? You know what?
Speaker 1: Sure, I'll go on a conventional emotion emotional I'll go on a conventional motivational rant and say that late twenties is pretty young. I am also late twenties, and I feel pretty young. I feel pretty not fucked, and I feel like you were also pretty not fucked. You didn't kill anyone or anything like that, so why are you? I just don't know why you're fucked. I just I think, Oh God, I hate I hate saying Just everyone, everyone listening to this podcast, just please know I hate saying this and I want to die when it escapes my mouth because I don't. I don't want to be a guru and I don't and I just know that life is hard and fucks you in the ass repeated, I just know, So it feels disgusting to say this, but I just this little thing in my gut just believes it for myself, and so I believe it for for Julia or right now and just I. But I just fucked a little bit, and yell at me about the economy, yell at me, But.
Speaker 2: I believe a little bit. Sue me.
Speaker 1: That perspective is very important and that if you think you're fucked, you are fucked. Right, So the first step is believing that you are not fucked and that you were optimistic. It is the one indicator. It is the one because there are people who just think about Julia.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 1: There's somebody out there who did have a child and did kill someone. Maybe there's people out there who had a child and then they killed twelve people and they're in their brain like, oh, I'm gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: You know. So it's moy I think, I really, genuinely do, in.
Speaker 1: My soul believe that a lot of this shit is about your perspective. And if you think you're fucked, then you're fucked. And if you think you're not fucked, then you've got a chance. So what would I do if I were you? I would stop thinking that I'm fucked, and I would start thinking that you have time to do things with your life. You're probably gonna live another fifty years. You know. If you had terminal cancer and you were eighty three, then yeah, you're probably done. But you're not.
Speaker 2: So why are you saying why you fucked? All right? M let's see.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna do one more and then I'm then I think. Then I think we're good. Why do people hate when someone says it's about perspective because I think every I think perspective is I don't know. I ah, fuck, I don't. Let's read this email. Okay, this is from John, not Johnny John. Subject line GEK travels Lyle. I hope this message receives you well. I like the new GAK mail platform. Thank you, John. I'm currently listening to your new gek mail and it sounds like you're starting to do travel streaming. I'm looking forward to hearing about and seeing your new adventures. Yes, I will be streaming live on twitch dot tv slash forever walking through rural Japan. I just moved to Arizona about a year ago, and a camp seless travel a lot around the state. If you're getting into streaming adventure stuff and you're in Arizona. I have a lot of cool spots and places to suggest. I've been listening for a few years now, and I like the way your platform has evolved. Good luck to you and continued success.
Speaker 2: Thank you. John. You're sweet band. John, good guy.
Speaker 1: You're a good guy, John, John's a good guy.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, this is the final email. All right.
Speaker 1: This is from IG subject line High Lisle, and it just says, can you do a gecko impression?
Speaker 2: I think do geckos make a sound? I think they go like this.
Speaker 1: Ah, all right, all right, this is well, that was it. This was a podcast, you know what, you know what, listen, listen. I think this was a little bit of an unhinged I don't know. Maybe I'm being too self critical or whatever, but okay, look, I've released at least three hundred something of these podcasts. This is just one and we tried it, and I think this was I you know what, I had fun. I had fun reading these emails talking to people living life.
Speaker 2: I drank too much coffee today. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: There's an optimal amount of coffee to drink, and I went a little over that and I'm suffering for it. Not suffering, but I my yeah, we're gonna we drank a little too much coffee today. There's worse things to do, like uh like do You could do Heroin and die, But even that is not that bad because human life, as we've established, is worth a objectively as much as a human as a chicken. Yeah, I mean an ant and a human are basically the same size if you zoom out long enough. So use that as a reason either to never kill ants or to kill a lot of them. Okay, go do Twitch dot tv, slash lyle forever. At some point next week, I'll be live streaming myself walking with sense Martian through rural Japan. This is I don't have any details on this yet, or actually I do, but I'm kind of keeping a secret. But if you live in New York City in mid March, I am putting on an art gallery. That's all I have to say about it for right now. But if you live in New York City, I will be putting on an art gallery in Brooklyn, New York in mid March. I think next week I'll have more details about it, but I I it's the thing I am the most excited about in my life right now, so I'm very looking forward to giving you guys more details about it. But anyway, all right, that was Gakmail. I felt a little weird about it, but hopefully you enjoyed it, and if you're it's if you're still listening right now, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Be well and see you around the universe. Okay, bye.
Speaker 1: Every week, it goes on the line taking your phone calls every night every week and goes to just teaching you your line.
Speaker 2: An expert