Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And Gallup has the Supreme Court's job approval rating at a record level, which is thirty three percent of Americans approving of the High courts work. We have such a great show for you today. Pods Save America's Dan Pfeiffer stops by to talk about Trump's dysfunction. Then we'll talk to The New York Times Eli Tan about the shocking story of Meta's Louisiana data center. But first the news.
Speaker 2: Somalley Governor Basheer has done an interesting maneuver here that I don't know how effective it'll be to try to get Mitch McConnell to show proof of life before this upcoming deadline next week where there would no longer be a special election for a seat.
Speaker 1: So here is what's happening. There is a lot of noise about whether or not Mitch McConnell is dead. Probably not, but maybe nobody knows.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it feel like it would be a fitting part of his legacy to do this like that. That's just basically why this is like it almost feels like we're honoring him by assuming he would do this.
Speaker 1: I don't think that Mitch McConnell is dead. I'm gonna tell you the truth. I actually don't think he's dead. But maybe he is. I don't know. I mean, I think the more likely scenario is that he's like not as well as those photos make him out to be. So there have been two very bizarre photos that were released by Mitch McConnell's office. Both make Mitch McConnell look very relaxed in a way that if you look at more recent photos of Mitch McConnell, they don't totally track. Now, am I a Mitch McConnell Truther? I am maybe a little bit of a Mitch mcconald truth. Maybe I'm a Mitch mcconald truther. I don't know, but there's something off here. So here's what's happening. Andy Buscher, who's the Democratic governor of the state, is sort of trying to figure out how to do this. So it's forty days since the eighty four year old has been seen. Okay, forty days, that's a little more than a month, and Boucher is like trying every which way to do it. So he has sent a letter to McConnell and his staff that McConnell needs to verbally address his constituents and demonstrate his ability to serve or resign his seat. This is i think, probably again the best possible option. Remember, Boucher is in a red state with a super majority that has actually and again we don't know what the story is with the appointment, but they did something to make it harder or maybe impossible for the Democratic governor to fill the seat because there are Republicans and so they cheat. So we don't really know, if you know, he may have trouble filling that seat. But either way, this is the way that bur Cher is trying to thread the needle. And again it is pretty strange that McConnell has just completely disappeared. And so we'll see this letter was from Monday, and it's the second one that Burscher has sent to Mitch McConnell's office. Remember, Scott Jennings, I'm not sure you want to take that guy to the bank, but he has said that he has talked to McConnell for twenty minutes. Other Republicans have also battered around that figure as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's talk about some not some fun things happening on the Democratic side. As we discussed in our last episode, Ken Martin has been accused of being a very ineffective leader at the DCC and as well having a bit of a temperate seat. But what's interesting is Democrats seem to be sticking by him. There's been very few people calling for him to resign in the actual party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is not good. Ken Martin can't raise money and Ken Martin can't do media. So what does Ken Martin do if he can't raise money and he can't do media. Real question. But hell, Democrats do not want to call for him to resign, and so we have Democrats who are scared of asking him to resign. So Greg Meeks said he doesn't think that he should resign. You know, look, it's hard to get people to resign. It's clearly time for Ken Martin to resign. This article has a lot of quotes it's from notice about members of Congress saying they don't think he should resign. But obviously you should resign. I mean, this is just very stupid and it's nice that Democrats support each other, but this is probably time to stop when it comes to this anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the fdaight, who as we know, just can't stop winning. There's just things going so well with our food supply, it's amazing. So they're deciding to codify the dojerra policies.
Speaker 1: It's all fine as long as you don't have lettuce.
Speaker 3: Yes, keep calm and carry on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just without lettuce, no stop all for you. So the agency will stop it's specializing its field instructor inspectors starting in October. They will officially consolidate administrative staff across the agency's nine centers and stop specializing its field inspectors starting in October. This is a doge change, and it means that you will see more explosive diarrhea. This is like just you know, richest man in the world came into our federal government cut all sorts of or shod and this is just such an insane thing the FDA. It's so basically there's an expert who says that proper assessment requires FDA investigators of matching skills and knowledge. You know, the idea is you're going to save money by having people who don't know what they're doing do this. It's really it's just so stupid. I mean, it's like it's absolutely the legacy of good old dumb RFK Junior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hendos making things totally stupid, or the Department of Government lack of efficiency. Yeah Sobali. All we've heard is how could Democrats ever ever choose someone with such poor character as Graham Platner when sitting mega Congressman has accusations that now keep pouring in that are very credible, that are literally some of the most monstrous accusations I can remember ever being at this And I'm of course starting about Representative Max Miller, who is married to Bernie Marino's daughter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Max Miller. These are court filings that say that he poured water, hot waters, scalding water on his wife, he put a gun to her head, and he has allegedly broken the collar bone of his daughter. This is pretty dark stuff here. It sounds like domestic abuse. It's shocking to me that Congressman Marino would not defend his daughter. Max Miller also has abuse allegations from other women too. So here's what's happened. Republicans are worried about losing the House, and they don't want him to resign because then their numbers will get so tight that they won't be able to keep the House, to keep the majority. Remember that earlier this year, Eric Swallwell and a representative Tony Gonzalez from Texas both resigned at the same time. They both had allegations, pretty terrible allegations against them. They both resigned. They swapped them out because they canceled each other out. Well, turns out there's another. I know you'll be shocked to hear this. A member of Congress. This guy is now they won't ask him to leave because of course they don't want to lose the House. So he had Democratic strategist on Fox News because Fox News is having a segment on Grand Platner, and he brought this up and Fox News is not pleased. So look, it's all bad and none of this should be happening. And like it, like domestic violence should be a no go on the left and the right. But it is particularly striking to watch people like the Speaker the condemn Democrats who do it, but then keep Republicans who do it in Congress. Dan Pheiffer is a co host of Positive America and the author of the newsletter message Box welcome, Welcome, Dan.
Speaker 4: I'm excited to be here. It's been a while.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled to have you. It's groundhog Day, right, it's the summer of groundhog Day. New tariffs war is over. Net Yahoo in the Oval Office.
Speaker 5: Discuss sometimes they try to put myself in the position of someone who is running a Republican campaign in the cycle running Republicans superpack at the NRCC or the NRSC, and you just they just must wake up every day and just want to bang their head against the deaths because Trump seems so committed to making their lives harder.
Speaker 4: Right, Affordabillli's number one issue. So what does he do. He launches more tariffs, something that voters absolute despies, watches more of them. He can't end this war he started that has raised gas prices. He then has net Yahoo to the White House, which is another problem for him, particularly with his base right. And this is like at every turn he is doing what Trump wants to do, not what's good for Republicans.
Speaker 1: We talk a lot about the Democratic split over Israel, and that is very much like a mainstream media talking point, but there's a real maga split over Israel too, which is in some ways more profound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's certainly at the very top amongst some of the most powerful media personality, some of the most pro MAGA folks, the Tucker Carlson's of the world, and they're in a constant war with the Ben Shapiro's of the world. Obviously we have our own splits there. But the other thing is is that the young MAGA voters are almost as skeptical as Israel as the young Democratic voters. And that gets is that the change in public opinion on Israel, in particularly US aid to Israel, is generational, not just ideological. And I think that's lost in this to be a lot, and that's going to affect up because those are the voters they need once you turn it out on twenty twenty four, to turnout twenty twenty six, if they have any chance of minimizing their losses here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's such an important point about Israel because you know, I'm Jewish, my husband's Jewish, my husband's a bit older than I am. And I think the closer you are to the Holo Coast to living through it, the more you under you know, I'm under fifty, quite a bit let me just lie here. And he's over sixty, and so there is a real split there. And with the younger generation, I don't think they understand the Holocaust and the history of Israel.
Speaker 4: And if you are of a certain age, you have only known the net Nyahoo government. You've never known a time when there was a realistic or even plausible path to a two state solution. You've only known a right wing Israeli leader who has associated himself very explicitly with Republicans, whether it was going to Congress to attack Barack Obama, like getting involved in these elections, being supportive of Trump, all of those things, and that has colored views here and it is like they're like the wherever you come down on the US relation of Israel, people have to recognize that this is not just it's not just a right wing and left wing split. The biggest movement in change both on the question of aid to Israel, US military aid with or without conditions, and on who you sympathize more with the Palacaitians and Israelis, which is this question Gallup has been asking for decades, is among independence, like that is where the big shift has been. That's what it like Democrats have moved, Republicans have moved, and independence have also moved at this basically the same rate as Democrats, and that has changed the politics here in a lot of ways that we'd like we're seeing play out in Michigan of some places like that.
Speaker 1: I want to talk to you about Michigan, but I also just want to talk to you for a man about the split, because it does strike me that first I want to ask you you were working in the Obama White House when net Yahoo came and took a stand against Obama.
Speaker 6: Can you?
Speaker 1: I mean, I just remember that being so shocking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was part of it. Like Obama and net Yeah, who never got along. They had very very big disagreements that really you know, reached their crest at with the Iran deal in twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, but it started from the beginning. And you know, it was relatively well known that some of Nan Yahou's top aids are working very close with Mitt Romney in the twenty twelve election. You know, here you have a country that is an ally, but the leader of the country is a political adversary of the president. And that's a very complicated dynamic to manage wild so younger voters.
Speaker 1: Though, it strikes me that there is this real shift that's happening, which is not it's not left versus right, but up versus down. And we've heard Dan Osborne talk about this, we heard Troy Jackson talk about this in May, we've heard other you know, it's more of a Bernie ish, you know that it's really about the it's economic populism and not ideological. It's ideological, but in a way that's more about affordability.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you nailed exactly right. Which is a lot of the conversation within political circles, whether you're on cable news or on podcasts like ours, or especially on Twitter or even Blue Sky is left first right, and that there are these candidates there are more left wing and more and more to the center. And there is certainly an element of that, and certainly the candidates who won in New York were certainly far more liberal and issues other than just the economy than your standard media and democratic member of Congress. But there is this shift in politics where it really is up versus down, and there's this popcast and people think at all, you know, two thirds of voters two thirds of voters think the economic system in this country is raped. Yeah, declining numbers of voters think that if you work hard you can get by and there in, capitalism is decreasing in favorability and socialism is increasing favorability, and all of these things have created an environment where candidates who are can speak with authenticity and passion about how the system is rigged, can offer solutions on how to unrig it, both in terms of government corruption but also just a very basic idea around everyone getting healthcare, better wages, those sorts of things, and can name the name the villains, the same villains that the people have. You're willing to actually call out the corporations special interests of the billionaires you're speaking. You may or may not win your primary, but you are you have the political win that you're back in this environment. And too many Democrats, ically establishment democrats, have struggled to do that because it's not natural for a certain wing of the party that has been around for a while.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so say more about that because that comes into I think the Michigan primary last night. We have a candidate, Hailey Stevens, who who was the establishment candidate. She has the pretty much the establishment. I think every almost everyone in the.
Speaker 4: Slocked except slacking. Let's just slock on someone who wasn't endorsed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you had Gretchen, you had I don't know if Dana Nessel.
Speaker 4: I think the ships Gretchen, Dana Nessel, Gary Peters, and Wie Stabana have all endorsed Haley Stevens and.
Speaker 1: A lot of corporations, a lot of big packs. And then you have doctor said, who is got Bernie and Elizabeth Warren? And so it's really like, you know, a battle, a real ideological battle here. What did you think about last?
Speaker 4: This is a fascinating race, and it's partly a fascinating race because there has been no high quality polling of this race. No one has any idea who's actually winning. There's this one poll from a polster who of a sort of spotty reputation that does only live phone calls, doesn't do a lot of weight, that showed Hailey Stevens up I think by seven or eight points on abdul Steed after Mali mcmorro, the third candidate dropped out. But no one really has any idea what is happening in this race. It's sort of like all of the battles within the party have manifested themselves in this race. So you have el said is very is against will vote against Chuck Schumer, is anti establishment. Hailey Stevens is the hand pick candidate of Schumer and the DSCC. The biggest issue is probably between them is Israel. Apak is gonna end up spending sixty million dollars in this primary alone on Hilly Stevens and none of it have actually about Israel, but because she is a candidate they want. Abdul has been a very aggressive critic of Israel, has called it a genocide, wants to end all aid to Israel, has called Israel and apartheid. Say so, this is a big dividing line there. I watched the debate last night, you know all of that was there. We're sort of in the final stretch here where watching the debate, it's hard to tell who thinks they're winning and who thinks they're losing. But it seems like they both think the race is close enough that they're trying to score a few points here and there and not take wild swings. The other part of this race that really is is that you have these all these super packs and a lot of corporations supporting Haley Stevens. That is a big Abdul does not take corporate pac money, although he does have super packs, but their labor superpacks supporting him, and so the influence of corporations corporate money is a big part of this race too. And then all over top of it is this unanswerable question about electability. It is the very strong belief of a lot of the establishment that Hailey Stevens is much more electable than Abdul, and that if we were to not if the people Michigan were to nominate Abdul, then we would make it less likely, not impossible, but less likely that Democrats would win Michigan. If we don't win Michigan or not, it's hard to get to send a majority without Michigan. You know, whether that a right or not is a question you can debate. But it's like a truly fascinating race. I think we're going to get a pulled maybe as soon as today. In this race, they'll maybe tell us a little bit more. But it's everything that everyone's in finding about in the party on Twitter since twenty twenty four is happening in Michigan.
Speaker 1: For a long time, I thought she was such a bad speaker that it would be his to get because but she seems like she's gotten a little better.
Speaker 4: She has, she absolutely has. I think she is a has come into her own as a candidate. In the final stretch here, she was a She does very Up until the recent party here, she did very few events, basically, like very few town halls. Abdullah is everywhere all the time on social media in events. I think he said last night they di done four hundred some events across Michigan town halls where he's taking questions. She's had a much more cautious engage strategy of engagement with the voters and the media. But she's definitely sort of There was a clip that went viral of her that a lot of people left really made fun of about her, like a very aggressive Michigan accent saying talking about give him some sticket to them or whatever it was. She leaned into that and I think a way that was effective. The question here really is in Michigan, you have one in five in typical Michigan primary, one in five Democratic primary voters is black, when well over half are going to be women, and so the strategy from the pro Hailey Stephens side is to win on women and black voters. They've done this through two ways. One is they've run the APAC super Pac has run a lot of ads saying calling Abdul a misogynist, saying he's toxic women, sort of trying to play a little bit on the like this to swim in the wake of bank platinirm. And then the other thing is black voters. They have run there. If you can't turn on a TV in Michigan without seeing a clip of Barack Obama in twenty eighteen campaigning for Haley Stevens complimenting her for having worked the work she had done on the Auto Task Force when she worked in the Obama administration, and that has been that clip is not dated in any of these of you know, Angeliy, hear a lot of voters saying they think Obama has endorsed here, which he hasn't. He is not, He has not endorsed any candidate in his race. And so how effected that'll be, what the turnout will look like in Wayne County is all going to determine what's happened here. But it's fascinating and Honestly, this election can't come soon enough because I'd like this fight to end.
Speaker 1: When she FORFM, what percentage of voters in Michigan are Muslim, You.
Speaker 4: Know, I should know that off the top of my head, but it is the highest percentage of any state in the country. Early voting is not always a great predictor. Michigan had early vote by mail and then they have they had started in person a couple of days ago in Dearborn County, which is where the sort of the nexus of that population is. Turnout has been quite high. Now, sometimes when there's a lot of enthusiasm, you cannibalize your election day vote with your early vote. So it's it's hard. It's hard to say but that this is what is kind of what makes us race so fascinates because it is this big giant debate over Israel with a candidate being largely bankrolled by an Apex super pac with the as the as the hand pick Canada of the Senate leadership in the state with the largest Muslim population that was the birthplace of the uncommitted movement against Joe Biden, and then Kamala Harris, right.
Speaker 1: I mean this is rough, Like you know, and the big question I think in my mind, what I care about is will whoever wins be able to get the voters of the other person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's going to be a really interesting question. This goes the electability Like this, The electability argument is Haley Stephen slips a Republican district. That is absolutely true in twenty eighteen. Since then, she's basically performed critically twenty four as a generic Democrat like no, good, fine, this is a fifty to fifty state that should be three to four to five points more democratic if the national environment states the way it is, you know, and that she would be functions essentially a generic Democrat who like who seems very Michigan in a state where the majority of the electorate in general election are women like you know. And that's a good argument that Abdul has these weaknesses because he is endorsed by Bernie, endorsed by AOC, is seen as the lefty candidate, is you know, has you know had There are some comments about defunding the police from twenty twenty that he has walked back, but that that exists, that he has more vulnerabilities now. The counter argument I think is he's very very talented. She's talented too, but it's in a different way. But he is, like he is very deft as a communicatus, and that can help you navigate some of these things.
Speaker 1: It's really good. I mean, he's really good at speaking. Yes, And I think she's gotten better.
Speaker 4: But she has definitely gotten better. She's definitely gotten better, for sure. But you can just see he's someone who could go everywhere all the time, do all the hard interviews, take all the questions. She may be able to do that too, she is not shown a willingness to do that thus far. I think one question is you know you asked the big questions. Can you unite after this? Yeah, it might be easier, some would argue, And I think someone Ubdul said it for Hailey Stephens supporters to come to Abdul right then the other way because of how young voters in particular, not just Muslim but all young voters in Michigan feel about Israel and getting them to turn out support a candidate that Apax spent fifty to sixty million dollars to support is could be a tole order business. So I think people will you know, everyone will recognize, you know, there's always a rough period aphte the primaries, people do tend to come together. That tends to have in particularly in it when they party has the other party has the White House and the Senate and the House. But that is a big question, and both the winner and the loser of this thing are going to have to be very gracious in how they in how they build rebuild the coalitions gonna take to win.
Speaker 1: Ken Martin had a tough news cycle A chair what do you think is happening? I mean, it strikes me there are a couple of places I'm actually going to ask a sort of broader question, a couple of places here where, like Ken Martin and also in Montagne, we have an independent who could win if the Democratic candidate dropped out or at least the polls showed the possibility that he could win. And I just wonder they are a couple of plays there where it feels like were they're a really good leader in the party, someone could call that woman and be like, look you got to drop out, or stated Ken Martin, you're not raising money, you can't do media like what are you doing? Like I think about Republicans and if they had something like this, they would be all over that person. So what do you think.
Speaker 4: There's a couple things happen here, Like historically Republicans pre Trump were very bad at this. This is why they blew the Senate races in ten and twelve and twenty two. Honestly, even though Trump was around me, I mean Trump, he picked all the wrong people. But they had all bad candidates. But there is something happening where the voters do not trust the Democratic Party leadership and are actually sort of negatively polarized by candidates who are support by democraticalership and there's no one with the credibility like it is if everyone keeps asking like how did Ken Martin end up there? And if you're someone who's like like us, who's been very well the politics for the last decade, you're very familiar with Ben Wickler who was the former Wisconsin Party Cherry ran against them, and Ben had the support of Schumer, Jeffries, basically everyone, and that was actually ended up being a state party chair a negative yeah yeah, and up being a negative for him. And you have the same thing Herry, it's happening like they're really we are sort of an old lord of a flies moment for the party, whatever else you think about Ken Martin and I supported Ben. I called for Ken to resign after the autopsy. He's doing the best he can. But I think the well has now become so poison that you can't look at and say the best thing for the party is to maintain the status quo.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: We can debate howping a disaster is if we don't, But if you were maximizing your chances of winning now and beyond, someone would go to him and say, now, the best thing you can do for the party is to step down. Please step down, and will replace someone. It's not an easy do that. But then you mentioned Montana in Michigan. In the seventh district of Michigan, which is Alissa slockins old seat. We lost it in twenty twenty four when she ran for Senate. It's a very close race. There are three candidates in that race. One is Joe Biden's ambassador to Ukraine, Bridget Brink. Another is Matt Masden, who carried the nuclear football for Obama. Is a veteran right right yeah. And the third one is a progressive supported by Bernie. I haven't studied enough to know to really be able to validate these claims. But a lot of people believe that the Progressive is the least likely to win that race. The two like more moderate, you know, credentialed candidates both stayed in the race, and they're going to split the vote. And Lawrence is likely by according to some internal polling that I've read about, but not seen, going to win by a lot. And so in a different world, someone would have had the credibility to go to one of the other two candidates and say, one of you, you know, if we our best things to win in the seat, is one of you is the nominee. One of you's got to get out flip a correct right, right, right, because no one has the credibility in the party right now to do that, and not just with voters, but even with other Democratic politicians. And you're going to see this be a real issue in twenty twenty eight when there's no one's going to be able to like ride her and over the process. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, it's so crazy, right, and that we'll see that in twenty twenty eight. Dan Pfeiffer, thank you.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Eli tan is a reporter covering the technology industry for The New York Times. Welcome, Welcome, Eli, Thanks much for having me. We're having you on to talk about this data center in Louisiana, but I want you to tell us about this first data center story you wrote two years ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, two years ago, I saw this on Facebook actually, that there was a town that was fighting against a data center. The town was a Peculiar, Missouri south of Kansas City, and it was like the first instance I had seen of this. So I went to the town, wrote this big story about it. You know, they were some of the first people to print out these signs that said no data centers and stick them in their yard and kind of stage this big, you know, revolt against this project. At the time, I thought, this is interesting, these data centers are becoming a thing. And past forward two years now this is like a huge issue ahead of the midterms. It's like every state is fighting about this stuff. So it's been pretty crazy to just to see how it's all developed. Did they win, Yeah, they did win. They fought back against this data center. And after my story came out, actually they ousted the mayor and they ousked the city administrator and they kind of they all the people that were the leaders of this charge to stop the data centers. They like promoted them to leadership positions in the town. So it's like reshaped this town in a lot of ways. But they're doing well. I still talk to those people every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's really cute. So let's talk about Meta's giant data center in Louisiana. There's so much here, but I think this secrecy is the thing I'm the most interested in. First of all, I would love you to also explain like how many data centers Meta needs, and a little bit about sort of Meta's data center relationship to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right now, Meta is building about a dozen of these huge hyper scale data centers to power AI. Each of these data centers is billions and billions of dollars. The one in Louisiana is its largest. It's going to be you know, fifty billion dollars. It'll have like over one hundred billion dollars of you know, these Nvidia chips in it. And yeah, they need you know, the company needs these to train AI. And it makes sense to build massive ones in specific places as opposed to you know, hundreds of smaller ones all across the country.
Speaker 1: First of all, where would be, how big will it be, and what is the effect it don't have on the neighborhood.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So it'll be in this parish called Richland Parish in Louisiana. It's in the corner of the state. It's kind of this poor rural farming community. Comparison that everyone makes is Manhattan. Mark Zuckerberg, he gave Donald Trump a photo of the data center, you know, kind of imposed over Manhattan. We didn't say that in the story because it's not quite as big as Manhattan. It's about like the top of Central Park to the Financial district you're familiar with, you know, New York. But it's huge. I mean I went there in person and it's like it's like six miles long, a mile wide. It's like its own city. I mean, you know, I did a tour on a you know, on a truck kind of driving around and it's it's huge. It is. It's like it's it is kind of like being in a you know, a Manhattan sized construction site.
Speaker 1: Will this sort of all of the AI needs of Facebook? I mean, what will it work for Facebook? Instagram? I mean, what's it doing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it'll be Facebook Instagram Meta has these new AI models that it's coming out with. But you know, when you're in Instagram or Facebook and you're asking, you know, the AI chatbot they have any questions, That's the type of thing it's it's going towards.
Speaker 1: So is this happening and what will mean for the area surrounding it.
Speaker 6: So it's completely remaking the area just on the construction alone. I mean, they're going to have seven thousand construction workers in this tiny parish. The parish is something like twenty thousand people. This is one of the poorest parts of the entire country and you have, you know, one of the richest companies basically coming in and totally remaking it. The thing about the project is that there's no sales tax on the hundreds of billions of chips. They're not really paying property taxes.
Speaker 1: Wait, why aren't they playing property taxes?
Speaker 6: That was part of Meta's deal if they were going to come to Louisiana, they didn't want to pay certain taxes. So the way it benefits the area is that there's these sales tax from thousands and thousands of people that are coming in and spending money and you know, buying equipment and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 6: That's the main one. We're talking tens of millions of dollars in sales tax every year. It's not nothing, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you're like a poor you're paying more property tax than metas.
Speaker 6: In some cases. Yeah, I think it's I think that's probably true to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what about the electricity and the water.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the electricity is the big one. This company called Entergy Louisiana, the largest in the state. They're building for Meta ten new natural gas turbines, so it's enough to power New Orleans like six or seven times over or something like that. The incredible amount of natural gas.
Speaker 1: And natural gas turbines are super polluting. They're not like a solar turbines or polluters.
Speaker 6: They are polluters. But the governor of Louisiana he actually declared natural gas or renewable energy before the project. He like signed something so that it would be considered a renewable energy or something like that. Don't have to look up the specifics, butt. I mean, that's just like one example of all the ways that the government of Louisiana has done everything they could to kind of accommodate META.
Speaker 1: What about the water, the water.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is a you know, this is a part of the state that has really old infrastructure. So Meta has kind of gone in and like paid. They've spent actually a billion dollars of their own money to just upgrade things like the water tables, waste water, the roads. I mean, they just they didn't have roads that could handle like NonStop construction. So yeah, I Meta spent you know, its own money to basically pay for all the stuff the water included.
Speaker 1: When this thing is done, it's not going to have a lot of people from Louisiana working in it, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not super clear. These projects. They hire these really specialized technicians and electricians to work in the data centers. But what the state is kind of banking on is that, you know, these construction jobs, they're actually like changing the curriculum at all the community colleges nearby to train people to work on data centers because they think that when this project's done, they can just go build another project and they'll have this this sort of like economy on wheels where there's gonna be like ten thousand people that all they do is they work on data centers and they go, you know, travel around the state. That's that's kind of the governor's vision.
Speaker 1: But won't you only need a finite amount of data centers?
Speaker 6: I mean, we'll see where it's all going. Meta is building this one. Amazon is building one in the other in the northwest corner of the state, and they're hoping that you know, this deal with Meta, they can just kind of keep doing it with other projects.
Speaker 1: Explain to us, like, if you're a farmer and you live near this data center, how will your life change?
Speaker 6: Well, most of the farmers that live near the data center actually sold their land to Meta, right and made a killing millions of dollars in a lot of cases. Oh wow, so the landowners are getting off great, right, It's a story. It's like a lot of people are benefiting a lot from the data center. Other people aren't. So, you know, if you're a farmer and you're making millions of dollars, you own a construction company nearby, you're you know, you're selling contracting the Meta. Maybe you own a restaurant nearby, Met is buying like hundreds of meals from you every every week. But then if you're just a person that lives in this parish, there was someone in my story. Her name's Tracy Williams. Her rent got raised from two hundred dollars to almost fifteen hundred dollars a month. You know, so that these construction workers have places to live, It's like where do you go? So a lot of them, you know, they get displaced, They have to live in houses with ten people, you know, living in a three bedroom house like I've seen. Maybe they leave the parish altogether. So those are the people that are really kind of left, you know, wondering what to do.
Speaker 1: So talk us through what you saying. The larger pollution matrixes here.
Speaker 6: I mean natural gas turbines I don't think are great for the environment compared to you know, solar are other renewable energies, but I'm not really up to speed on the pollution aspect.
Speaker 1: This will radically reshape the town and the government too of the town. The local government is meta trying to mess around with the local government or is the local government totally bought in? I mean, is this a story of a town versus a day data center? Are now?
Speaker 6: In this case, it's really not a story of a town versus a data center. And that's because the way they did this deal. It was entirely secretive. It was with NDAs, it was behind closed doors. Meta just announced and the stages announced, Yeah, we've got this deal done. We're coming to this parish. There was no opportunity for people to you know, get their posters and fight back. But for the most part, the people that live in this town, I mean, you know, they're a little overwhelmed by it, but they're pretty optimistic. They hope that this is going to help all their lives. You know, you drive through town and it's you know, you have these Baptist churches that have the signs that have you know, welcome META, and then they have these Bible verses that they've put out about opportunity and labor. And you know, it wasn't really up to them whether or not this project was going to come here, but they're trying to make the most of it.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like they're being taken advantage of Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that the most concerning part of this project was that data centers. They're this really controversial thing nowadays. A lot of people don't like them. They want to have some input into how these things are built and the state government and Meta's response to that was okay, let's just cut them out of it entirely. Let's just do the deal behind their backs. And maybe the deal is going to be a great thing for this area. Maybe it won't be. But I think that, you know, it's a fair question to ask, like, should people that actually live there have some kind of input into.
Speaker 1: This, Like is this sort of a new way they're going to do it with data centers or is this how metas always done it.
Speaker 6: This could be it could be a blueprint for how everybody wants to do it. If you look in places like Arizona, Michigan, people hate data centers. People don't want them at all. They don't want to negotiate the terms. They just want them out of there. And it's a tough environment. I think if you're one of these tech companies to you know, convince people that these things are good when they're you know, really setting their ways already that they don't want them at all.
Speaker 1: Does it seem like the promise of these data centers is possible to deliver or now?
Speaker 6: I think so, Okay, the thing about these data centers is that they're just not paying very much tax revenue to the places they're going like relative to how expensive they are. And you know, you'd think that the state could say, Okay, we're gonna just do an open call for data centers to come into this huge property we have and whoever can give us the best package, like, we'll accept them. But it says the opposite. It's like these companies say, Okay, unless you're willing to do this with just me behind closed doors, we're not even going to entertain it. And in some places, like data centers have been great, like they're counties in Northern Virginia and in Looten County that they have great tax incentives, and you know, these data centers are like paying for new schools and roads and all this stuff. And then you have other places where they're not and they're taking up a lot of the energy and raising people's energy bills, They're using a lot of water. It's like the real story of data centers to me, has been that you have these high tech companies going into these really underserved parts of the country that have really aging infrastructure, and the companies aren't really willing to pay to upgrade that infrastructure. But nowadays, like with this data center, it's starting to change a little bit where the companies say, Okay, if we want to have the energy, we're going to just have to get these turbines built ourselves.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the Virginia data centers, because there's this thing called Data center Alley where they're using so much power that it's causing the power other people's power to flicker across the East Coast. Took us through that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is happening in Virginia. I think in a lot of the southern United States that people's energy bills are going up because the data centers, the way they use energy, it's so much of it, the way it impacts the great I mean, it's just raising people's rates, and it's something that it's become a big problem because it's like it's kind of been wrapped into this whole affordability narrative where it's like the cost of groceries, the cost of eggs, power bills from data centers. It's like it's all become kind of one movement.
Speaker 1: Seems like, if you live in a state with a lot of data centers, like Virginia, is your power bill more expense because of the data centers.
Speaker 6: In some cases, yes, but the energy companies kind of dispute that. Honestly, I'm not I'm not super familiar with the way that it increases the prices, but it's something that there's like a ton of legislation.
Speaker 1: A but it's certainly been reported that it does increase. Can you just tell me what these data centers do? The Meta one, like, what will do? What is it or is it not clear?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's built around these these chips from Nvidia. They basically they take the chips and actually build the data centers essentially around the chips. So they're like these racks of servers and they're all just made to uh, you know, accommodate these chips and cool them and power them with electricity. And Meta's data centers like there's like five buildings and there's like a brain in the middle, and yeah, if you go in them, it's based you know, it hasn't been built yet, but it's basically just like racks and racks of servers.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's just like racks and racks of servers. And then eventually there'll be a few people to watch those chips.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, this project's big. I mean Meta says that there will be as many as a thousand people employed. I mean, who knows how many of that's security versus electricians or whoever it is. But still, when you think about, you know, the size of the fifty billion dollar project, a thousand people, it's not all that many.
Speaker 1: It's just such a crazy story. And like, if you're a person who wants to not live next to a data center, what are the lessons from this data center disaster? The lessons like, are there regulations that that governors have? I mean, I know in New York State we have like a banning of data centers. Are democratic governors doing things to prevent stuff like what's happening in Louisiana or have you not seen that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely they are. New York has put a temporary pause on data centers. Seattle did the same thing. But it's really not it's really not the liberal states that are getting these investments for the most part. It's going to be you know, Republican led governors that are leading most of these projects. And I think a lesson that I've taken away from this is that you know, if you're someone who lives near your data center, it's likely that you're not going to know about any of these talks if they're happening, and if you ask, you're elected official, they might not even be able to tell you because they've signed an NDA with the company talking about it. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the talks aren't happening or that the data center's not going to be built nearby. And they are all sorts of blueprints for the ways that people are fighting back, but most of them involve like just figuring out what's going on.
Speaker 1: Pretty good case from not having NDAs. Thank you, Thank you, Eli, thanks for so much for me on.
Speaker 4: No moment.
Speaker 1: Jesse Cannon smile.
Speaker 3: You may remember the Heritage Foundation as the authors of Project twenty twenty five, a document that has run a lot of damage to our country. I have really sad news for you. The Heritage Foundation is an absolute disarray in having a civil war.
Speaker 1: Could not have happened to a better anything me more Jesse Cannon.
Speaker 3: Well, as always, there's factions that break out in these institutions, and so what you have is you have the more people who are a little bit more into Christian fundamentalism, and then you have the other people who are just there going we want to be close to power and they're now having a little squabble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just be happy about this. I mean, these guys have raised so much money and they have done so much damage. And it's like the biggest, baddest think tank and it's headed by Kevin Roberts. You know he is, you know, the head of Heritage. Kevin Roberts is a big Tucker Carlson fan. And that created a division obviously, because Tucker Carlson is at best white supremacist curious and so you know, you have to sort of thread the needle here of how white supreme do you want to know? So that's a real division here.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you what? I think The funniest one is all the people who were like, we're Reagan Conservatives, We're for free trade, free markets, and then they're seeing what Trump has done here, which is just grift grift, grift, grift grift. Yeah, they're like, wait, that's that's market distortions. What do you mean I thought we're gonna do free trade.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, So there we are. We just have a real dark, kind of stupid and I'm glad to see it, quite frankly, because these guys have really done a lot of damage.
Speaker 3: I think it's one of the great stories of Trump is and we don't tell enough, which is that when you believe in you know, your cheeto Jesus is going to be your savior, you get a cheetah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and it's also just what are we doing here? It's just an insane way to run. You know, all these organizations ultimately fall apart because the only thing that they believe is fieldy to Donald Trump. And Donald Trump doesn't have political positions particularly, so you know, his positions are whatever he feels like. And so this is where we are is just you know, a completely nonsensical kind of craziness. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.