Speaker 1: The identity of that matters most to me is that I am a person. I'm a human. Yeah, and the thing that matters most to me is what do I do with being human?
Speaker 2: Welcome to when You're Invisible. My name is Maria Fernanda Vies, but I know not everyone can roll their ours, so it's fine to call me Maria. When You're Invisible is my love letter to the working class and others who are seemingly invisible in our society. I hope to build a community here that will inspire you to have generous conversations with others that are different from you, conversations that might help you see life in an entirely different way.
Speaker 1: Let's get started.
Speaker 2: This is so cool. I have my brother across from me. Do you want to introduce yourself? And by do you want to please introduce yourself?
Speaker 1: The look in his eye was like do I No? The real question was which name do I introduce myself with? My name is Francisco Las.
Speaker 2: The consideration that Francisco has with his name is one that we all have when you have a long Latin name. For example, Francisco's full legal name is Francisco Andres Bies Busso. I laugh at this moment because of course he's considering that at the top of an interview, and it's hilarious because he's super excited to do this interview. He's getting goofy, but then he's also slowly, ever so slightly sliding into what I call his interview mode, his professional mode, where he straightens his body and you can see his head tilting just like ever so slightly to make sure that you know he's in position, ready to go. It's a fun little phenomenon to watch. My brother, Francisco is one year older than me. I call this Mexican twins since we're two months shy, being Irish twins. He's a goofy person in private, but he's very serious and passionate when he talks about the things he cares about, which we all will notice. I have a particular image of my brother. He is smart, thoughtful, driven at time's intense, and definitely marching to the beat of his own drum. He loves Radiohead and Blink one eighty two, and at his core he's always been an alternative punk rock soul. He's a short, five to five man with small wooden hoops in his ears and he's had a beard since high school, and when he's not in T shirts, you can find him wearing floral button ups. Since we ended last season talking to my parents, I thought this interview was the perfect place to start off season two. The person I spent the most time with what was you? Yep, we are best friends and we have been since we were kids. What did we do for fun?
Speaker 1: We built like couch for and like created whole invented stories, and then we played with legos and we played soccer with our dad a lot. I think traveling with you, mom and dad like that was always great. And I think the fact that we traveled all the time meant that, like change wasn't bad. There was always something exciting to explore, something exciting, to know something new, to see that something that I think about a lot.
Speaker 2: So Francisco and I were born in Ithaca, a New York college town, in community with Latinos from different countries and different ethnicities and actually a lot of different immigrants. It was a community of people who helped each other out immensely. It was an amazing thing to grow up in and honestly it shaped both of us. Our family then moved to Minnesota when we were in grade school, which was a big change in all of our lives, and once we went off to college, our parents moved again, this time to Georgia. In addition to changing our hometown, our family would travel back to Mexico a lot. My parents were also big on road trips. Francisco and I spent a lot of time in the backseat of a car to gather traveling across the country to visit different sites in state parks. Francisco was known for always asking where are we going, what are we doing, Who's coming? I was known for saying I want to go home. Meeting new people and experiencing the unknown where things we both learned to work with. So with our life experiences being similar, what are some of the core things you think we share?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What comes to mind?
Speaker 1: We share a lot. I think we have similar values, both personal moral values or virtues that we try and practice, and as a result, we have very similar politics. What else do we share? An appreciation for art?
Speaker 2: How do we differ?
Speaker 1: I think I'm a little bit nerdier than you are, in.
Speaker 2: A b in a cool way to me, I always wished I was nerdy like you. It's interesting how you can grow up side by side with someone and share so many life experiences and still end up with such different personalities because as close as we are, we are different. Something that surprised me during this conversation was learning how differently we viewed our identities as in betweeners. We're Mexican and American, we speak Spanish, English, and French. We're white passing Latinos. We grew up in diverse communities, in white communities and Latino communities. We grew up working class on food stamps and then later became middle class. And we have all of these different elements to ourselves, which means that we belong to a lot of different communities, which is beautiful, but it also means we don't fully belong in any single community. And I think personally, I learned to own this part of me early on. It was something that I found beautiful and empowering and grounded me when other people didn't know how to place me. And I think Francisco's journey coming to terms with that was actually not quite the same as a person who is in between in terms of growing up, Like, do you feel like you ever felt lonely or do you feel like there's a power in that is.
Speaker 1: Our power in having this in between identity that feels kind of lonely. Not really in my opinion, because I think power is a feature of the collective, and so I really don't believe that there is like a whole lot of power other than the fact that being in between men that we were familiar with multiple different experiences of people and able to translate those things.
Speaker 2: For Francisco, power is all about commonality and connection, and honestly, that's a foundation.
Speaker 1: Of who he is.
Speaker 2: My brother is a unity organizer in Philly. In the US, we've been seeing a resurgence of strikes and of mutual aid. I feel like people are getting tired of the fact that things never change, and we're starting to believe in the power of the people again and take action around that on a bigger scale. I've always been interested in how these movements start and in the people who make them possible. I really wanted to interview Francisco because being an organizer is not just his job, it's his passion, it's his mission in life, and it encapsulates who he is. I think it actually just highlighted who he's always been He's always cared about politics and people. He's always stood up for what he believes in and what he believes is right, no matter what others think. And he's done that for as long as I can remember. When did you first become interested in politics?
Speaker 1: I think it was probably sometime in third ish grade when I realized that, like history, politics was the formal arena in which major things changed history were decided, and that was how I perceived politics. Like what was interested in the Maya, the Aztecs, I watched the History Channel. I still remember the day when we learned about World War two. Yeah, in third grade, and that was super captivating to me.
Speaker 2: It's cute because this curiosity about history and politics at a young age made me think about his own ability to think strategically and where that came from. He's always been someone who has had his eye on the future, and he's always looking at the big picture. And as he grew up and went to high school, I think this really became a mechanism for survival.
Speaker 1: I saw us focusing on school, on my academics as a method to get away from the place that we were growing up in, because I did not like growing up in Minnesota. I did not like most of my peers at the time, and I wanted to be far away, and to me, staying in Minnesota felt like being stuck in hell with these people who said horrible things to me. Yeah, not infrequently.
Speaker 2: To fit into our high school in the suburbs of Saint Paul, you had to be white, conservative, upper middle class Protestant where Abercrombie and Fitch in the Old American Eagle, and that just wasn't Francisco, what was a defining moment for you as a kid.
Speaker 1: The first thing that came up into my brain was being bullied in high school, explicitly around several different themes. Right, one was being left leaning or a do gooder, or someone who said that's racist or that's sexist, or that's classiest or whatever. Like, I think the thing that was like vitally important to me was the fact that, like, why are you saying horrible things about people like me that you were saying You're not like that basically because you are extremely white passing.
Speaker 2: Francisco always wanted to stand up for people, even when he wasn't the target of bullying, but it was never to shame anyone. It was always to create better empathy and understanding. One thing he always asks is why, And I think his curiosity about the why it was an attempt to show people the double standards or biases that they were using, and that was something that personally affected him oftentimes just because he wasn't recognized as being Mexican or having immigrant parents, whether it was because he was light skinned, or his intelligence versus the stereotypes that people at school were used to. It didn't mean that he was going to hide any part of himself. And the thing about being an in betweener is that you can get attacked for fitting into stereotypes, whether you're called derogatory terms like we back bean er, lazy, or you can be targeted for pushing up quote unquote against the stereotypes, you know, for being the smart one, or for speaking articulate English as people would say, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.
Speaker 1: One of the defining moments that I think I had a lot of trauma around for a long time was this moment where in history class I was forced to basically debate the entire class because I was the only one who believed in reparations for slavery. And there was a point at which I was being yelled at by the other side, and the source of things that they were saying, calling me a fag, calling me very derogatory terms for being Mexican, very derogatory terms for being a leftist. They called me a commie, you know, and all these things combined, and the fact that they had to resort to trying to insult my identity as a human being during the debate, it was, Yeah, it was pretty difficult.
Speaker 2: Being in a situation like this. It forces Francisco to think about how all people see him and how they see people like him. It exposes his classmates bias and hate, and he's being put into a box when he's just a teenager dealing with hormones, still trying to figure out who he is.
Speaker 1: I think what was very difficult about being bullied was that I didn't even know who I was, and I was being labeled things. I was being labeled a fag. It turns out I like ended up being more queer than not queer, like being attracted to people. I didn't have really limitations on what I thought was attractive and who I thought was attractive, right, I mean called a kami, and I didn't know what I was. I knew I was at least liberal, but I also didn't think I was just a liberal. Also, being called things about being Mexican was also something like, okay, so I clearly don't belong here. I'm also American. I'm United States in right, like I was born in this country, I am a citizen. We were taught growing up that like, borders exist, but they don't really make difference on the value of a human life.
Speaker 2: This culture of cruelty was very counterintuitive to what we had grown up with, which was a foundation of unconditional love. And thankfully, because of Francisco's ability to hold on to the core of who he was, he was still able to find really good friends.
Speaker 1: In high school, some of the people I hung out with were kids who lived in trailer parks because there were weirdos and emokahs and punks, and they were the ones who didn't really care who I was, and I just hung out with them. And I think that was a very different sort of experience. You know, I haven't talked about the positive aspects, but that was like one of the positive aspects. I think and like us, having similar ideas that this was all dumb and ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Francisco during this time embraces his otherness, the punk rebel inside of himself, because it was an ugly place to fit in. He didn't want to be a part of this culture.
Speaker 1: The one thing I will say is that I think my identity really mattered to me as a way to differentiate myself from others. And I think that might just be teenage angst tendencies, but what I think ended up mattering more to me as I grew older and as I became an organizer and got inspired by people who changed the world for others and themselves. The things that we held in common were much more important than the things that differentiated us. Yeah, and I think that is the biggest shift in my understanding of identity.
Speaker 2: Francisco ends up leaving Minnesota when he gets into Yale for college. There he meets some of his best friends to this day, and he continued to grow as a thinker, doer, and overall person. This time further transformed how he thought about himself and how he relates to others. He channeled his once rebellious teenage self into an organizer. Yeah, he's still an oddball in the best ways, but today he cares less about standing out and be different and cares more about commonality and community. That's coming after the break.
Speaker 1: Realizing look at all these white, black and brown people that I am one of, that have so much potential to fight and make things better for themselves, and that we all deserve better.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, welcome back to when you're invisible.
Speaker 1: The identities now that I matter most to me are the ones that I've chosen. Probably the beginning of things was when I found philosophy, was like, oh my god, I can choose who I am.
Speaker 2: This makes me think of how this day and age we focus a lot on the major identifiers of ourselves, whether it's race, gender, sexuality, and while those are beautiful parts of ourselves and worth all the acknowledgment, it's a good thing to remember there's a lot of complexity in layers in each individual that deserves to be noticed and celebrated. Francisco personally has come to really connect with the parts of himself that are doing and creating the world he wants to build.
Speaker 1: The identity that matters most to me is that I'm a worker, yeah, and that I'm an organizer.
Speaker 2: He works for the Center for Popular Democracy, where he helps people fight for workers' rights on a state and national level, whether writing policy or leading actions.
Speaker 1: And what an organizer means is that I'm interested in helping more people discover their own self interest and their own power, and their ability to come together and to grow that group of people.
Speaker 2: Right, Francisco laid out the beliefs he's developed and the things he's come to really care about in his work.
Speaker 1: The way I thought about what my politics were was slowly orienting in a direction of believing that regular people should have power, like I knew, I wanted a society that was like had strong levels of equality of opportunity. I mean, like true equality of access to advantage, so that a person who has a little bit and a person who has a lot have actually the same equal opportunities to get the same position. People actually have real freedom of choice. In most workplaces, almost no one has freedom. The workplaces where we get closest to some level of freedom is in unionized workplaces. And then the last thing is having community matters a lot. I'm someone who now belongs in a political tradition that believes all human beings are equal, that we deserve to live in safe, free communities, and that we don't have that right now, and that's something really deep has to change in our society.
Speaker 2: These values are very personal and deeply rooted within him. It's part of how he sees himself and his story and our story, and that keeps him grounded even when the chaos and the loneliness feel overwhelming.
Speaker 1: What are the political traditions that I can identify with our family history? Right? People in the United States often tell stories of their great grandparents fighting in World War Two or things like that. That's a point of pride because, yeah, they fought fascists. Our great grandparents were in the Mexican Revolution, and there is a deep history to be very proud of as Mexicans, of the political ideas that people were willing to fight and die for.
Speaker 2: Can you say a little more about that.
Speaker 1: Mexico abolish slavery way before the United States did, because partisan Guaretro was of mixed African, indigenous and white ancestry in Mexico City.
Speaker 2: Was part of the underground railroad, was it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, part of the Southern underground railroad was to go all the way to Mexico.
Speaker 1: Well, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: The founding of Mexico itself and the Mexican Revolution are fights for liberation of all its people. We have working class and poor people fighting against elite landowners for the redistribution of wealth. And honestly, what's beautiful about Mexican history is that there are Mexican scholars who are constantly trying to reclaim and preserve Mexico's complex history of resistance and liberation. And we were always told these stories at the dinner table with my parents, and we got to hear the stories of how our family was involved in that personal way.
Speaker 1: And then I think, as someone who identifies in a Pan Latino American sort of way, you know, the history of the fight for freedom independence in South America is also worth noting because the fight for liberation was by unifying all these different people ethnicities and nationalities and racial groups under one manner. And to do that you had to promote a vision of equality that mattered to everyone.
Speaker 2: Like Mexican history, Latin America is its own inspiration. For my brother, someone who really looks up to is Simon Boliverer, who fought for the end of colonial rule and united people across ethnicities and nationalities. It's somewhat the origins of Latini Dad to me at least, and it roots Francisco in a sense of history, purpose and care. What was your first experience with organizing.
Speaker 1: My very first experience with organizing was really like when I did volunteering for the Obama campaign in two thousand and eight. I would knock on doors in our suburban neighborhoods in Minnesota, right as a part of that process, and that was very interesting. That was me coming face to face with white supremacy and white supremacist myths. Very quickly. People would tell me things like Obama is a black Marxist who wants to destroy this country m hm. And you have to be really, really racist and have really racist ideas to buy that. And it was also my first lesson in how to deal with mass rejection.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, So that was the first time, and then as an adult I.
Speaker 1: Was organized again. In college. I was basically brought into the unite Here organizing world. Unite Here is a union for everyone who's listening that has done really good job of organizing unions of workers on Yale's campus and throughout the city of New Haven and have been really effective at organizing, and people close to them have been very good at organizing elected local elected officials. Yeah, and I got involved on knocking on doors for those folks the way I did for Obama.
Speaker 2: Before his senior year of college, Francisco got to experience community organizing abroad for his thesis. He connected with Latin American activists when he was doing research in Ecuador for the summer. Then, after graduating, he decides to go abroad again. He accepts a job in South Africa.
Speaker 1: I had left the country with the intention of not permanently coming back, because my opinion of the state of American politics in twenty fourteen was that it was fucked all the way through and that there was no chance for anything good to happen, and that the best chance for this country was for it to decay. And that's a pretty depressing, nihilistic sort of attitude from a child of privilege who knew nothing about actually building power. Yeah, I'm just going to say it that way.
Speaker 2: Which, So, what, for example, has that changed how you view the US?
Speaker 1: It has changed pretty dramatically, right, I think there were a couple things that changed that. Right, I think I was in a position of privilege to want to leave the United States and try and find a place to leave the United States. I wanted to go to Ecuador. I wanted to go to somewhere in South America and go work for some exciting left wing politicians there. Right, something that had happened when I had done research in Ecuador, when I had talked to organizers, activists and government officials and leaders, was if you had mentioned, like you should consider doing the work in the United States. And my attitude was why. And the thing that I was running into was people in different places saying things like we need you and people like you in the United States to change the United States. There is going to be limitations on what we can do here if your country does not change. Yeah, we need you in your country because you know what's wrong with it.
Speaker 2: I think we've all heard of the jokes of like, oh, I should move to Canada whenever something bad happens, And I think like this is a moment where Francisco himself acknowledges his own privilege of being able to think about like I'm never going to come back, but it's through these conversations that he fully understands and grasps the reach and the power that the US has globally, and as a result, the importance of actually staying and working in his home country.
Speaker 1: And I think there was a deep sense of at the time of okay, that's fair. And it was really in organizing that I realized, oh my god, everyone is worth fighting for. There are peoples of Latin America in this country who are in the process of building power, who have been organizing for a long time in very difficult conditions and conditions you and I have not experienced. And then also realizing, look, look at all these white, black and brown people who are that I am one of, that have so much potential to fight and make things better for themselves, and that we all deserve better.
Speaker 2: Eager to find his place in the States, Francisco discovers something he really wants to be a part of a growing, people powered, working class centered movement. He writes a letter and soon enough is officially part of the Bernie Sanders campaign for President.
Speaker 1: I was formally trained as an organizer, and I started working for the twenty sixteen Bernie Sanders campaign in New Hampshire. We were told you will have no one out here to support you, essentially, and you have to build everything from scratch. I actually organized a group of volunteer organizers to build an effective electoral machine capable of getting Bernie Sanders to win the primary in the particular area I was assigned to. It will forever be one of my great privileges that I actually got.
Speaker 2: To do that you were in it every day, every moment. Is there a particular moment that stood out to you that was like, this is what I'm fighting for, this is the this is what gives me strength every day to keep going even against odds.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people in this country are told you can't do something, and they're reminded constantly in different ways that there are limitations on what you can or can't do. There's this particular moment in early September of twenty fifteen that a US Senator who went to a gala for the local Democratic Party in New Hampshire, and I introduced myself together with my supervisor. After I introduced myself as someone who's working for Bernie Sanders, he told me to my face, that's nice, but it's Hillary's turn. Hillary's going to win this primary, and I was so angry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Francisco felt like this people powered movement that he could feel building all around him was being totally dismissed, like it wasn't real, like it didn't matter. But against all the odds, this campaign proved the political establishment wrong.
Speaker 1: We won. We won in New Hampshire, and we won by a landslide. We proved that for a moment, someone who is based in working class people who said what the heck was going on and said what was wrong with the society, and said that inequality in our society, in racial injustice and white supremacy and patriarch are wrong, and that we need a fundamental change in the way our society is structured to at least try and address those things. Should be elected. Everyone slogging it through, going to door after door to door and being told we're not interested to then them changing their minds to growing a team to be billing an effective group of people who were highly disciplined and highly dedicated and saw their self interest as fundamentally tied to that election. Those are the moments that you fight for.
Speaker 2: In a moment, we'll hear how far he's come since he felt like giving up on the US, and how he maintains hope and energy in his work today. That's after the break.
Speaker 1: The idea of changing the world is not worthwhile, But one of the things that I think is worth considering is that you might be able to change your world and make it better.
Speaker 2: Stay with us, and we're back.
Speaker 1: What motivated me and what motivates me is I want to live in a world without bulliefs.
Speaker 2: Francisco has taken the painful moments in his life and used them to help him identify with others who have been bullied in different settings.
Speaker 1: And no matter the scale, I want to have what happened to me in high school not happen to anyone else because of arbitrary circumstances of my birth being the reason why they think I'm less worthwhile than they are.
Speaker 2: You know, something that comes up a lot in the season of When You're Invisible is being underestimated. Something that I admire about all our guests this season is that despite being underestimated, they all maintain their own self worth and they see the value in the people around them. And something that I love about my brother is that even when he's most underestimated. Francisco still believes in the power of the little.
Speaker 1: Guy, whether that you're a woman, whether you're queer, whether you're gender queer, whether you're black, whether you're poor and working class white people like you all know what it means to be told you're less than human. Any one of those groups might not be more than half of the population, but together all of those groups are.
Speaker 2: When you're told you can't do something, when you're struggling, when you feel unheard, the anger that bubbles up can actually change things.
Speaker 1: Anger is righteous, The anger is absolutely righteous. But who you choose to be angry with really does matter. Yeah, who you end up blaming for that problem is a huge issue. Right. For example, if you are a white person in this country, or a black person or whomever, and are told immigrants are the reason why you're not getting X, Y, and Z, you are being lied to by someone who has an interest in pitying you against the immigrants, because the person who is doing the lying is probably has something to gain from that division. Because that was true from before the founding of this country. The experience of Bacon's rebellion in the sixteen hundreds, poor whites and escaped slaves and free blacks banded together in Bacon's rebellion to fight against the Virginia Planter your class. It's this really beautiful moment. And then the planter class in Virginia literally having to write up a law codifying creating the idea of race itself. Yeah, to try and divide populations tells you a lot.
Speaker 2: And the opposite of succumbing to that division is coming together.
Speaker 1: There's something beautiful that all the greatest changes in the world have happened when a couple of people said this sucks. Yeah, two people saying together, this sucks. Let's do something about it. We all have an interest to fight together, and it is hard. Organizing is really difficult. But my fundamental theory is that if you can bring people together to work together, we can change our worlds and our experiences. And I think that is worthwhile. Will things be perfect, No, but things can get better.
Speaker 2: What would you say to people who feel like they can't do it, that they can't get involved, or that it's pointless, who have given up on this country?
Speaker 1: The idea of changing the world is not worthwhile. But one of the things that I think is worth considering is that you might be able to change your world and make it better. If you can talk to a coworker talk about what really sucks in their life, you can change You can change your world. Right, it's happening.
Speaker 2: What would you say to our listeners who are middle class up ammudal class.
Speaker 1: You are working class. If you work for your labor, you are workers and your fate is fundamentally tied to the workers beneath you, and you should treat them like human beings.
Speaker 2: Francisco isn't just emotionally attached to this. He also understands the research backing this way of living.
Speaker 1: There are studies that are coming out about the levels of poverty and how poverty changes and the levels of violence and how that changes in a community when more people in that community become unionized. Within the United States, Wow, and you win in union contract and you win union benefits, Like that's pretty incredible. That is an improvement in your life that is worthwhile. Is it hard? It is some of the hardest work you will ever do. The odds are definitely stacked against you, but the odds were stacked against so many other people. I'm interested in winning. Right, people have won.
Speaker 2: Every big win in history was not just made possible by the name we know in our history books, but by people like you and me helping to build that movement. It's important that we see ourselves, everyday people as part of history, and we've been building momentum for generations.
Speaker 1: Anyone who says that something can change really quickly in very short amount of time, it's probably lying to you. The only way that I've ever seen the world change for the better in a really deep way. Even the big things that the big politicians have done, is usually because they're scared of someone who has a lot of power below them, who's coming from below to the top. And I guess that's really what my politics are about, is start with the bottom. Let's go with the ranks of everyone. The Sovil Rights Act did not happen immediately, right. It wasn't because Lennon B. Johnson and JFK had a sudden switching their attitudes. It was because amazing organizers like Ella Baker and Bayard Rustin and Martin Luther King Junior and others around them whose names but most of us will never know, decided it was worth fighting for their rights, and they brought more people into it together, and they worked with other organizations to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Francisco has a ton of these examples that help inspire him in his day to day.
Speaker 1: You know the founding of the UAW in the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 2: The UAW is the United Auto Workers Union. You might know their name because they conducted a series of very successful strikes this past year negotiating a better contract, including better wages. The UAW was one of the first unions to do multi racial organizing when.
Speaker 1: They decided to sit down and these multinational immigrant communities who were working in these plants, right, everyone's, oh, they're all white. No, there are Italians, there were Swedes who did not speak the same language with each other, decided to coordinate together and do sit down strikes together.
Speaker 2: I love sitting with those tangible, real examples of when people have won. I think a common thing we think about when we're thinking about change is that we can try, And to me, it's refreshing to hear we can, must will and have one Like if someone's like, I've never met an organizer, but I'm interested in trying to fricking change my circumstances. Who would they go to.
Speaker 1: Organizing a union is I think the number one way that people can do big change in their workplaces. And you can reach out to a union by going to the afl CIO's website.
Speaker 2: The afl CIO is the largest group of unions in the US. Some other great organizations to check out our DSA aka Democratic Socialists of America, the Working Families Party, Make the Road, and there's so many others. Francisco's workplace, The Center for Popular Democracy has a whole list of amazing affiliates on their website. We'll throw links to some of these in our show notes. There's a lot that motivates Francisco. It's really inspiring, but he's had to build that up over time. He deeply connects with the people he works with, partially because they're There have been times when he's felt invisible, Like in his early twenties, before he became an organizer, I was.
Speaker 1: Had almost no support system, and it felt like everything I was doing was pointless because it was not being accepted, and felt like it was constantly being rejected and not being even supported.
Speaker 2: What I've noticed for my brother is organizing has not just been a journey of fully seeing the power of communities, but also realizing his own value.
Speaker 1: I'm lucky in a way because I in various stages of my life, I think I've been able to feel visible to a lot of people or at least some people, and made me feel like I was visible at least to someone.
Speaker 2: In some ways, I think He's learned to subvert the feeling of being invisible and turning it into something where he can find strength, into a way of being part of the collective. And in the collective we take turns being seen.
Speaker 1: Really amazing organizers and workers who are organizing that I get to work with and they get to lead the movements that belong to them that I get to help them. In my job, one of the things I love the most is getting to work with some of my colleagues and work very closely with these workers to help them develop their ideas into demands. And for me, that sometimes means I'm a little bit invisible as a facilitator, but it's a way in which I'm very grateful I get to be that way because this is about them, their interests, and their experiences.
Speaker 2: I think Francisco took this feeling of invisibility and our signature question and turned the way we look at this on its head. Something that I've been thinking about is also invisibility can be a superpower. It can be something good. It depends on how you view it. And the other thing, too is who's doing the viewing right.
Speaker 1: In some ways, I'm very great full to be invisible so that others may be visible a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Francisco's ultimate goal is to help others feel capable and help them enact the change they wish to see. No matter your role in a movement, it's tough and tiring work. You have to figure out what keeps you moving forward. How do you keep up energy and hope day to day or long term?
Speaker 1: I think you have to look at the right place to find hope. The national level is a pretty depressing thing to look at people's needs and the things that they understand to be really wrong or being totally ignored constantly. Yeah, on the national level is not really exciting, right, But my thought is that it is worth looking for the sites of hope outside of those places. Hope is about the belief that something can be different than it currently is, and that it is possible to change, and there is hope everywhere. There are hope in countless workplaces right now, all across the country where they're where workers are daring to say enough is enough. We deserve better, and we deserve to be treated like human beings, and we deserve to have at least some say in the conditions under which we work. That is hope. There are attempts at changing legislation on the state, city and county level in all sorts of places to make things better. There are campaigns in places like Philadelphia, that's where I live, people and workers are organizing for some basic anti retaliation protections and better workers' rights on the city level, and that's really awesome, and including domestic workers in those protections. There are gig workers in Seattle, Washington that want first of their kind rights to paid sick leave, to a basic minimum income. Those are victories. Things that you didn't that we didn't think we're going to be possible, are actually happening.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think that's something that for me really does matter to really think about. Right. Hope is everyone or you just need to know where to look, and hope is a discipline. I think you need to be hopeful if you want to change your life, not just your life, but like people who you care about, your colleagues' lives, your family's life. You have to have that attitude.
Speaker 2: It was really important for me to start this season with a voice who inspires me to keep going, to be braver than I've possibly been before, and to hope. I want to take this moment and have us think about what we want. What do you wish could change, Whether you wish everyone in your community had a livable wage, whether you want to be able to save for retirement, whether you want clean parks, whether you wish your loved ones could have access to good and healthy food, or get to see a doctor without being terrified of the cost. Ultimately, this is the message that Francisco leaves us with.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to this, you are worth fighting for. You deserve twin.
Speaker 2: But was so beautiful is Throughout my conversations with people during this season of When You're Invisible, some things that just kept shining through were the ideas of building community, finding inner strength, and proving people wrong when they underestimate you. And I can't wait to share what we have in store this season. Next week, we are going to my high school We're going to meet an old friend of mine from Minnesota, someone who, despite being bubbly popular and active for most of high school, ended up becoming increasingly misunderstood because she was dealing with something beneath the surface that nobody could see.
Speaker 3: When it's really bad, it feels like a migraine in your whole body, and so much of it is like when you have a really bad nod in your shoulder, except it's in every muscle, like it's in all of the muscles.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about chronic pain, resilience, trust, and telling your story with art next Monday. Thank you so much for listening to When You're Invisible. Please leave us a rating and a review to let us know what you think. You can find this episode and future ones on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. When You're Invisible is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Mike Couldura podcast Network. I'm your creator and host Maria Fernanda Dies. Our story editor is Dylan Hoyer. This season was produced by Me, with additional production from Dylan Hoyer. Sound design and engineering by Laurence Stumf. Original theme music by Tony Bruno. Our executive producers are Anna Stump and Gisell Banzes, and special thanks to our lean Santana