Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Hold ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Harry's gonna score touchdown slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo. He came flying into the back deal.
Speaker 2: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in bal Vista, Seek your ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash podcast.
Speaker 3: A Red Seats, Rising Up, jimper You, Rising Vision, Blurry Rage, take it over.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul CALVICI.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 4: I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 2: And Ron Woopley, it doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 4: Yep, We're here to have a good time. Redzee. Come on now, that's your cue. Let Lamar Jackson hear you right now and pay no attention. By the way, the whole Tampa Buffalo, the Bucks and Bills, we are the original Thursday Night Football. Here on the Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Paul Calvic, Ron, wolf Ley and wolf We're calling this the let the rook Cook Edition. Think of how many times we can use that this year.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: We started with Clayton Tune in the preseason. That's where it really began. It was pretty good right there. And the Paris Johnson junior. Oh, just your starting right tackle from day one, number six pick.
Speaker 1: Overall, doing a very nice job this year. I would say.
Speaker 4: RB one right now is an undrafted guy, Mari de Mercado, Michael Wilson, a whole playmaker, right, we had him a couple of weeks ago. Up and down, Key Trell Clark has started, Dante Stills has started, and now coming off his debut and making Cardinals history. How about it a round rookie everyone. Garrett Williams, thank you. This is a good time to ask how you're feeling. But it's really fitting considering you just played your first NFL game. How did you feel Monday morning? I mean, how sore were you after your first real, full speed, full contact, real football action in almost a year?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Really sore?
Speaker 6: You know, and it was expected though so when I woke up everything here, but it was kind of good though, because I kind of missed being sore in a way, you know, so it was cool, but definitely had to get in the training room early Monday.
Speaker 1: Garrett talk a little bit about the week leading up to it. Take us back to that right there. What was that like? When did you know for sure you were going to play? When did you know how much you were going to play? When did you know?
Speaker 6: I knew pretty early in the week that I was gonna be playing a lot, So for me, then just the regular preparation started. It wasn't really much of a thought about, oh my god, it's my first NFL game. It was I got a football game. I need to play the you know, so my preparation time of just went back to regular.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I feel like I did a good job even when I wasn't playing, of always staying prepared and kind of know what's going on a week by week. So nothing really changed when I got put in the put in the play, you know, so a good start, you know.
Speaker 1: Can I can I intrude and ask who told you? And where did he tell you?
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean the coach, you know, the coaches they kind of just tell you, like hey, like.
Speaker 1: Told you, or was not told me.
Speaker 6: To tell you, like, you know, hey, get ready to play Nicola this week. And then you just go out throughout practice and obviously he was like you got to practice good, So you know, I did my part in practice, and then yeah, just playing the game on Sunday.
Speaker 1: It had to be a special moment though. Still, yeah, when you knew you were gonna play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's why they brought me here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I the whole time, even when I wasn't playing, was just kind of thought of when my when my numbers called, be ready to go, and just you know, try to help, you know, help the team win, helped team win games, and so what I did last week didn't help us win the games. So honestly, it's really just not you know, it's not enough. So just gotta do more.
Speaker 1: You've done a lot, though, buddy, no doubt, a lot, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Garrett Williams again, our guests here. We are alive from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson. How much advice did you get from the vets? Did you seek it out? Did they come find you? How did that work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they come find me. You know, they just kept telling me just to play my game. Say, you know, I've been practicing with them for about two three weeks before the game, so they kind of got to see a little bit what I could do. So they just kept telling me just to be myself and just do what I do best and not overthink it. In that end of the day, football's football, which is very true.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: So earlier today Buddha Baker met the media. Here's what he had to say about the rookie Garrett Williams.
Speaker 7: Great young rookie, a guy who wants to understand each and every the ins and outs of the nickel position. But also you know all DB's and he's a guy we can you know, put anywhere on the field. You know, that's definitely special being a rookie and kind of understanding football. He's very smart, he asked questions if he doesn't really know, he's a student of the game. So Garrett is going to be special player for the Arizona Cardins.
Speaker 4: Wow, some pretty good words from Buddha Baker. I mean, and you know we've talked to Buddha on this very show. You know, how long does it take a player to know a player.
Speaker 1: You know Wolf? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Wolf play ten years in the league.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: If they brought a fullback in on training camp, Wolf, how long would it take you to figure out that this guy can play or he camp?
Speaker 1: Maybe a little bit longer than it would a mic linebacker. I'd know immediately ball with a mic linebacker.
Speaker 4: Got Jim, how much nickel had you played before this past Sunday in a game? How much nickel in a game? In a game had you played?
Speaker 5: None?
Speaker 1: Zero? Zero? I mean, boyd, what what kind of adjustments that for you to go out in that scheme and line up inside and play? What kind of adjustment was that? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think it's just it just goes back to really emphasizing the importance of practice and really like going into each practice finding ways to get better, because obviously, when you're learning a new position kind of on the fly, coming off injury, then the expectations that not only come in but play to this that standard. You know, you got to take those reps seriously and you got to learn from your mistakes. So I'd be lying to say that those weeks of practice, I didn't make a billion mistakes, but the coaches and the and my.
Speaker 5: Team that's real patient with me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they still are because you know, I'm making mistakes daily in practice, just trying to keep building from it. But they they're helping me out a lot. So I feel I'm getting better each and every day at it.
Speaker 1: So I have to ask you this, do you have a preference. Do you like playing inside or do you want to be outside?
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't really care when you've been when you've been away for the game so long, you just kind of just want to play football, you know, so it doesn't make a difference. I just want to try to make plays for gospel where I'm at.
Speaker 1: That's really a good answer. By just let line me up played as long as I'm getting reps, let me go.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, not everyone can play inside. That that whole true, that whole slot corner. That's just a special skill set. In fact, you know, we were reminded of that by Jonathan Gannon himself, and he was asked about Garrett Williams playing inside, and here's what the head coach had to say.
Speaker 8: You got to be able to think fast and then you know his skill set, the skill set of a nickel there's a lot going on. You gotta be able to cover, you gotta tackle, you got play z own, you got blitz a little bit, and you're in the box. You're in space. So it's a unique position. It's a starting position. To me, one of the most you know, important on the defense. He got himself ready to play, stepped in there and played well.
Speaker 4: I mean, think about it. You could be an outside corner and you're on an island. It's just minoy minor you against the receiver. Or you can be an inside slot corner and to me, at least watching from the sideline Paully pencilneck over were, I'm like, it's just complete chaos because you were in the box. Yeah, what was tell us about that experience? Just being inside like that.
Speaker 6: It's crazy. It's a lot of people moving around fast. Especially it's a big difference from college to just the speed of the lineman and tight ends and quarterbacks, running backs to everybody. So things are moving fast, but you gotta adjust with it, you know. So definitely a big adjustment because when you're at a corner, your vision is just so different than when you're playing this slot. When you're a corner, you can kind of see everything around you. When you're in the slot, you kind of got to search a little bit more, you know, to see the full formation and things like that.
Speaker 4: What gave you the most anxiety? Now that the game's over, right, you're thinking, Okay, it's my first game. We're on the road, it's Seattle. I can't hear there's Geno Smith, Kenneth Walker, I'm playing a new position. Wait a minute, how's the knee? I mean, what gave you the most anxiety maybe or trepidation going into the game.
Speaker 6: Uh, To be honest, I wasn't really nervous going into the game. Like I just kept on talking about me preparing, not even just when I got to Arizona, but just from a rehab stamp with just rehabbing, with the thought of when I come back, I want to be able to pick up from where I left off before I got hurt.
Speaker 5: So when I finally got the.
Speaker 6: Opportunity, it was really just not like, Okay, we're here now, you know, what are we gonna do about it? And so that's just kind of what it was for me in my thought process.
Speaker 1: You know what I I saw you stick your face into the fan A couple of times, right, And you know, for a nickel corner that is an important thing. You have to be able to do that. How what kind of tackler do you consider yourself to be.
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm just somebody who's who's not scared, you know. I feel like that's something I developed a lot in college and my coach is very big on that.
Speaker 5: In college. Just if you're gonna play corner for me, you have to tackle, is that right?
Speaker 6: So for me, especially as a young guy in college, like I was, Okay, I gotta tackle.
Speaker 5: I gotta tackle.
Speaker 6: So now just being in the lead, it's kind of the same thought process. Now, especially a nickel, the defense kind of depends on you kind of being an extra linebacker. So I got to be able to make tackles. I gotta be able to make tackles of open space.
Speaker 5: You gotta be able to cover. I gotta be able to do everything that the defense requires.
Speaker 4: I mean four years at Syracuse. By the way, your alma maters on TV down here at Trophy and Chandler. We probably shouldn't mention the score right now against Virginia Tech. Is that is that what we're seeing down there? Your eyes are better than mine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's looking a little tough right now, we're all get together.
Speaker 4: Uh so in twenty eight starts right. I mean, you were three times All ACC when he was in college, led the ACC two years in a row, and passes defense. Here's what I want to know about. You had to pick six of Trevor Lawrence. Tell us about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Uh, that was my first first career interception in college. And it was cool because at that time, Clemson was the number one team in the country. Obviously Trevor Lawrenceton College was like, oh, yeah, the guy. And I was like eighteen or nineteen going into it, and so for me, it was just my whole plan when I went to Syracuse was just like, if I want to make it to the NFL. When we played the Clemsons the Florida States, those bigger programs, like, I have to play my best games. So that was like my first real test and it kind of just went back to preparing for those type of moments and so went into the game and I actually played probably one of the better games in my college career that game, and I think that's kind of what got my name started to flow around in the draft. Buzz and things like that, and so yeah, it's just it's crazy, Girt.
Speaker 1: There were scouts that thought, some scouts believed you were a first round pick. Do you ever think about that? Do you allow yourself to go back and look at that and wonder about where you would have been picked? Do you ever think about that?
Speaker 6: Honestly, I thought about the like pre draft, when you know, when everything's circulating around. But ever since I got drafted, I mean, you know, I'm good with where I'm at. I kind of feel like thinking about the teams where I thought I was gonna go to, I feel like I ended up in the perfect situation with the right type of coaches that fit not only me just as a player, but as a person. And one thing I've realized from some of my friends and former teammates is that like fit is everything in the NFL. Yes, and I feel like I've had a place where I fit and really will.
Speaker 4: What have you learned from the Buddha Bakers and Jalen Thompson so far? I mean, is there just one big takeaway?
Speaker 5: You have mindset, and now your mindset's everything.
Speaker 6: You know, you have to go into practice with the same intensity as you go into games, and you can't just go into games just expecting to play good. Like the work has to be put in from Monday leading into Sunday. So they just keep on preing the lift, things about details and things like that, and honestly, I'm really really grateful to be able to be around guys like that.
Speaker 4: Well, if everything works out, Cardinals will have a one hundred percent healthy defensive backfield against Baltimore on Sunday, So that is a double ding, no doubt about it. By the way, he did something on Sunday that hasn't been done since a Hall of Famer did it for the Cardinals, a former teammateer Ron wolf Lees. We'll hear that when we come back. A reminder you can watch Cardinals game Plan Friday six thirty twelve News conversations with head coach Jonathan gannon Ken Summers all starring Ron Wolfley, the TV show Cardinals game Plan Back with more on the Big Red Rage with Garrett Williams.
Speaker 1: Right after this.
Speaker 3: Shotgun snatched, Smith moves to his left, rolling that way. Hump Bank now throws Marside picked off at the one yard line.
Speaker 4: It's intercepted by the.
Speaker 3: Rookie Williams on of Syracuse his first gate after missing the last twelve months doing injury suffered at Syracuse in the middle of the season. He makes a huge play picking off Gino Smith in the red zone.
Speaker 4: About that in the one yard line. It was third and four to sixteen. Seattle's driving all they're threatening. Wait a minute, no they're not, because Garrett Williams picked off Geno Smith right at the goal line. And is he He's our very special guest here on the Big Red Rage. Garrett Williams. All presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert and we are live from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson. Paul kelvc Ron Wolfley, and Garrett, is you've been able to tell so far? I like to teach the game of football to Ron Wolfley, Okay, And what I told Wolf after the game was I was really impressed not only by the pick, but the fact you played the ball. You turned around, got your eyes. Instead of just running with your back to the line of scrimmage, you're back to the quarterback. So just take us through that play. You heard the play by play there from Dave passion another Syracuse guy. But you take us with how that sort of developed to your memory.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, So, I mean when they lined up in the formation, it was something that we've seen a lot of film going into the week, and actually on the field, I'd made like the wrong adjustment call, and then our safety Dre he like corrected me on the field, and then I just played what I the technique I've been taught and it was just crazy because the same exact play I messed up in practice during the week, So it was it was kind of cool to kind of like fix your mistake in a better you know, in a better situation.
Speaker 5: But just trying to play the ball.
Speaker 6: That's really been my biggest emphasis coming back is just getting the ball, attacking the ball every time and trying to make the play because that's what's going to ultimately help us win games, you know, So every time I see the ball, I'm just gonna try to attack and make the play. I really credit my college coach for that, because I used to be comfortable with like passport because he just kept telling me interceptions, interceptions, interceptions, And now that's all I'm about, trying to get the ball.
Speaker 1: So what coverage were you in? Might I ask? Yeah?
Speaker 5: We were in like a form of cover three okay, yeah, which was zone? Yeah, yeah, we were playing his zone. And so then I was plably a tenney called hangbus.
Speaker 1: Right, and they attacked the flat and actually ran up on a wheel route. Yeah did you know that? Was this something that you had scouted all week? Is this what you're talking about?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the the out route part, yeah, I knew that was coming. Uh, the wheel part, you don't. You can't really you don't know. You just kind of to feel it because it kind of terms of a scrambled drill. So after that, you know, receivers kind of start running all over the place. So when I got out there, I peeked over my shoulder and seen him turn up the field, and so I just kind of start trying to.
Speaker 1: Get so you knew what he was doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I knew where he was going.
Speaker 6: I knew he's behind me, But I also knew that we're in the red zone, so he didn't really have much else, you know, anywhere else to go. So it kind of made me more comfortable to look at the quarterback a little bit longer and play the ball.
Speaker 1: It's just great, just a great play by you to actually look back and look for the ball. That is well done, Guard.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what though, it's more evidence to the football IQ on this defense, Wolf, is it not? Remember what Kaiser White told us see his game ceiling pick a Dak press gotten in the end zone against Dallas. He said he had messed up that same assignment, that same coverage in practice, but then nailed it in the game. So you're seeing this evolution of the Cardinals defense. All right, now, you heard the call right there, right. I know you've seen your pick on TV, You've seen the video. Maybe you heard the TV call, but have you heard it in Spanish? Because here is Luis ser nandsh on Cardinals Spanish radio.
Speaker 1: GI knows me.
Speaker 2: He Gotrac Williams, Liz Present, Welcome to the NFL.
Speaker 4: M Well, if I joked earlier this week, he doesn't call us muchacho Louis because that means young man, so he reserves that for the rookies like Garrett Williams. So, man, that's really good stuff. Just the energy on Wes. Well, you know I interviewed you after the game and then we left it. You were going to go to your locker, what was your phone? Like, well, how much did your phone blow up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh it was like freezing and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it was really cool, you know cause kind of like when it happened, I kind of knew. I was like, oh, yeah, like, here're gonna be blowing my phone up. And then after the game when I saw it, I was like, oh that a lot more people cared about that than I thought, you know. So it's always cool to see things like that, you know, to make my friends and family proud back home.
Speaker 1: So you know how rare that is, right, I mean, you're a rookie and you play your first game and you come up with a pick. I mean that is that is a big time play, right there, is it?
Speaker 8: Not?
Speaker 1: PAULI?
Speaker 4: So the last time that happened nineteen ninety one. Maybe you've heard of the player who actually had a pick in his NFL debut, because that's the last time it happened for the Arizona Cardinals. His name a Nias Williams. Hello, and you'll find the name and his bust in the Hall of Fame, the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Former teammate Ron Willfully, By the way, he had a pick in his second career game as well.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: No pressure pressure on you, okay, but yeah he had and by the way, he had six his rookie year en route to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: You know, it's amazing about that too, Garrett. We've heard whispers about you as well, and and honestly from Monty assin Ford, who drafted you in the third round, even though you had a serious acl there's been an expectation that when this guy gets the opportunity, he's going to make plays. That's got to feel really, really good because I can remember a Nias Williams when he was a rookie, and I'll never forget in training camp we were watching the Nias Williams and we were watching him in one on ones and you could tell immediately this kid is good. This kid is going to play. And you know what, the exact same thing happened to him his first game ever as a corner of the National Football League. Boom, he comes down with a pick. Man, that's goin to make you feel good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's crazy, onion.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's it's crazy to even be mentioned in the same conversations people like that.
Speaker 5: I'm just really humbling.
Speaker 1: How did it go mentally for you? Mental errors in regard to that, Did you commit any mental errors or did the coach leave you alone on Monday?
Speaker 5: Oh? Like from the game in general? Oh no, I made a bunch of mistakes in the game.
Speaker 6: So it wasn't even it wasn't even like, it wasn't even like, you know, obviously they were congratulating me on the pick, but they were like, hey, you're a line wrong, like, and that's how I wanted to be, you know, because even personally after the game, like like it was cool, but I was pissed because I knew, like, you know, I knew that I'd made some mistakes and I also knew that, like, we didn't win. So it's like, as cool as the moment was, you can't you don't really enjoy it as much if your told team not winning, which is ultimately the goal anyways, you know.
Speaker 1: So that's one of the reasons why you're going to be good, Garrett, because you care.
Speaker 4: Buddy, So we host Coach Gannon's TV show. He doesn't strike me as a guy who's gonna let much slide. Let's put it that way. Okay, now we'll mention now going into your final year at Syracuse, and it was a seven games before he got injured. You were thought to be maybe a first round pick. Now after the knee injury. Whenever we were last April, how uncertain were you going in as to where you would ultimately be drafted.
Speaker 6: I mean I had, like, I had an idea that a few teams thought really highly of me, Arizona one of them. But at the end of the day, you really just didn't know. Because this corner class in this year's draft was very deep, and so I knew how I thought I stacked up just naturally, but I knew with injuries there's gonna be that natural slide. And my agent he said it lives like the day before draft, and so I'm asking him, like, what are you thinking? So you know their job is to be honest. He was like, you know, the earliest, maybe late second. He's like, worst case scenario fifth and.
Speaker 5: I lost my mind. And and then he.
Speaker 6: Was like reassuring me that that wasn't probably the case, but he was like, I gotta tell you all possibilities. So when draft night came, I didn't know. I knew i'd probably be second day. And so then when the team I thought I was gonna pick me, he didn't pick me. I started panicking a little bit, you know. And then right as I started panicking, that's my phone right from Arizona. So it all kind of worked out.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: That is a great segue because guess what we have audio of the actual call when Garrett Williams got that call from the Cardinals war room and he was drafted in round three.
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: Doing good?
Speaker 5: Congratulations, appreciate you. You come in here and dot either ball or what?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know it? How you doing?
Speaker 9: This is mantias support.
Speaker 1: From the Cardinals. Get there? What are you doing? Where you at?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna Charlotte, I'm gonna Yeah.
Speaker 9: You got some people around you, you hang Who are you hanging out with?
Speaker 1: My family?
Speaker 5: My friends, all that?
Speaker 9: Man, you got your family and your friends. Well, guess what you're about to tell you? You're gonna be an Arizona Cardinal buddy.
Speaker 6: Yes, let's do it, man, let's do it.
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 9: We're excited that we're going to get you in here. You remember you remember that meeting we had we did get to combine. Man, You're made of the stuff that we're working for.
Speaker 10: But now with the seventy second pick in the twoenty twenty three NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Garrett Williams, defensive back safe.
Speaker 4: What's it like to relive that moment? How emotional was that? You sounded awful emotional on that call?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no, I was about to cry and then like everybody started yelling, and so I had to like tell them to be quiet. But now that and that that night probably not even probably his best best moment of my life, for sure. I'm just thinking about the sacrifices and all the things I did, just even put myself in that position, knowing that it wasn't handed to me at all. You know, I had to really go out and make this happen for myself. Obviously with the help of a lot of people along the way, but definitely especially one with a lot of friends and family there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's great, great moment for sure, and.
Speaker 1: It's really amazing. No, no, it really is. I remember the phone call I got. It was from Larry Wilson. Larry Wilson, Hall of Famer, legendary Larry Wilson. He was the general manager at the time for the Arizona Cardinals. And I didn't believe it was him. I was like, knock it off. I thought it was one of my friends. Yeah, I mean, you know they it got sideways there early pretty much wraps up my career as well. I probably have got sideways early right there. But it is a special moment, There's no doubt about it. You'll never forget something like that, right.
Speaker 4: Wolf defied the odds in so many different ways, including dissing the GM right.
Speaker 5: Off the bat on the phone.
Speaker 4: So it really is amazing that Wolf, you know, lasted ten years and went to four Pro Bowls. It really, it really is at me. You mentioned Charlotte there, So you grew up in Harrisburg, North Carolina. Yeh, a few miles from Charlotte Motor Speedway. Are you a NASCAR guy?
Speaker 5: Oh? Not really, not really.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's it is cool that, like the area harrispere Concord in general is very big on it. So when there are when the races do come to town, it's like a very big thing and it's a lot of traffic. So for me, who doesn't really go to the races, it kind of messes up my routine.
Speaker 5: But it's it's really cool though, to see.
Speaker 1: What was the sound like, I mean, could you hear it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you hear all the engines all that type of stuff.
Speaker 5: It's cool.
Speaker 6: It makes you want to go see what's going on in there, you know, but so far, one of these days I'm go go see one of these days.
Speaker 4: What was it like to grow up there? I mean, what do you remember the most? Just from the childhood and growing up?
Speaker 5: It was cool? It was fun, you know.
Speaker 6: I feel like I went to like kind of like one of those pro typical like small towns, middle school and high school right beside each other. You grow who you played with in middle schools, who you played with in high school. Uh So football was like a very big thing, especially when my coach, Jason Side got there my sophomore year, going to my junior year, football became like a super super big thing in the town.
Speaker 5: And I think that's kind of.
Speaker 6: What started, Like I always loved football, but really started to really drive like my real like passion I love football seeing how much football could kind of bring like everybody together and then think about how my closest friends are people that were my teammates at one point or another. So it was a really good time growing up in Harrisburg, really good time.
Speaker 1: What was it like in high school? Was football your only sport that you played? Did you play anything else? Yeah?
Speaker 6: So I played I played football, I played basketball, and then I played baseball, and so I played quarterback, like when I went to high school. So my first my freshman sophomore year, I was a quarterback. And so at the time I was baseball was like my full time commitments. Sokay, during the summer, I'm travel ball. I'm traveling all over the place. And that was really my best sport. I played center field and then second yeah, and so it was crazy. So I'm playing quarterback at the time. And so we had a tournament and I go to tack somebody out and I take my glove off and I broke my thumb. And obviously, at quarterback, you know you need your hands. And so we going to spring practice and I'm trying to play quarterback with a club on my left hands, and I just kept thinking about how frustrated I was, and I think that's when it kind of hit me that I enjoyed football a lot more than baseball.
Speaker 5: How fresher I was.
Speaker 6: And so then I made the decision that I wanted to commit my summer in my free time to football. And so when I told my baseball coaches and even my parents, they were pissed because well, it wasn't even that. It was just at the time, like we all thought like I was going to go to college for baseball. And so then when I kind of was like, hey, I don't want to play with folks on football where at football, like I was good, but I wasn't really projecting as like a collegiate or professional scholarship, you know, they were really confused. And then I just I remember I literally told you just gotta trust me and that I was going to put in the work to make it happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, And they yeah, Syracuse, Yeah that's Charlotte. You know, I don't think a Syracuse coming in and pulling your kid out of Charlotte. Yeah, white Syracuse. Who else were you recruited by?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So it was it was really between West Virginia and Maryland, Syracuse and then North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Virginia, how did you turn that out?
Speaker 5: Then North Carolina.
Speaker 6: They they made a really really strong push, which was hard for me because I grew up a North Carolina fan.
Speaker 5: But my dad, he was very big.
Speaker 6: On He just kept telling me that Syracuse he felt like for the plan for me to NFL, that it would be a good position for me, knowing that I could get in and I could play early. And then we had guys already Syracuse who were making noise as young players, and so Andre Cisco, the safety for the Jacksonville Jaguars, as soon as I got there, he was like the first guy really tried to get under his wings. So after my recher year, me Andre Cisco a Fox, and Mela Fan who's the safety on the Lions us through we just worked.
Speaker 1: Out easy for you to say, we just.
Speaker 6: Worked out all spring and so then I went in the next year fighting for a starting job.
Speaker 5: Thankful I won the job. And then after that, you know, we just kind of went from there that. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: We've had a good legacy of Syracuse guys on the Big Red Rage, right, Chandler Jones, Justin Pugh, you know, Dave Pash, we had earlier. We're not counting Craig Grilo, you know, because he's always repping the Ques and it just gets it's insufferable. You know, he wanted us to come out here and call it the Big Orange Rage tonight, and we're like, absolutely not, okay. Garrett Williams is our guest and a reminder. By the way, Episode sixty six of the Day PASH Podcast featuring espn NBA analyst Richard Jefferson, available now via your preferred podcast provider. Get the latest updates via Twitter at PASH pod.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: So, let's see you potentially could be an emergency quarterback. Then if you were a high school quarterback, let's let's talk about Kyler Murray.
Speaker 1: We come back.
Speaker 4: How curious you might be to see Kyler upfront and in person, in game action, and when that might be It is the Big Red Rage. Garrett Williams, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert We are live from Trophy and Chandler, located on Greek Creek Road between Price and Dobson.
Speaker 3: Shotgun snapped to Murray, steps up and takes off far side of the twenty got room at the ten, cuts right to the five dukes to defender and scars touchdown Kyler Murray a twenty two yard run, his second rushing touchdown of the game. That defender is in multiple pieces at the five yard line as he tried to break down and make that play, and Kyler broke him down.
Speaker 1: When right through Washington secondary like buttering the microwave.
Speaker 3: Baby, I see an arm, a foot, a piece of the torso on the ground there of the Washington defender as he got shook by Kyler Murray.
Speaker 4: That was spectacular. Oh my goodness, it's just some you here donfair fashion wolf call in the twenty one yard touchdown run against Washington circa two thousand. I remember that season because he set an NFL record. Nine games he had a passing and rushing touchdown, one of each, and that was an NFL record at the time. We could spend the rest of the show here on The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Live from Trophy and Chandler with Garrett Williams, Cardinal's third round Rookie. We could talk about Kyler Murray and all the accolades, Rookie of the Year, two time pro bowler, the whole deal. But you tell us what have you seen of him in practice? You know, coach said, he's full go. We don't know what exactly he's doing, but just just when you watch his skill set as a guy who played the position in high school. I mean, you tell us, what's your reaction.
Speaker 5: Kyler's nice.
Speaker 6: It's actually so crazy, even just the NFL part in general, being like seeing guys like him and like Zach, guys you watched growing up, and no, Kyler, he's he's legit. You know, it's it's it's special to watch, you know what I'm saying. The arm, talent, the mobility, things like that, he's one of one for sure.
Speaker 1: What about mentally right now? Based on what you're seeing, does it look is if he's picking up the offense and he's out there mastering the offense, does it look like he knows what he's doing?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: And Kyler is one of those guys who's got like he's not okay with not knowing what's going on. You know, he wants to have all the answers and he wants to know what to do. And it's showing in practice he's you know, he just started practicing again and he's already out there commanding things kind of like he didn't even miss a step. So it's just again, it's just it's really just special to see, uh, just knowing you've been watching him since college.
Speaker 5: That really really watched him since high school.
Speaker 6: Yeah, to be his teammate now, especially spend a lot of time in rehabbing, it's really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he really was a national name in high school. Yeah, that's how remarkable it is. Well, Kanta Ingram told us last week his first week of practice that Kyler got out there and he's audibly, he's checking it in a different place. He's running the twos against the ones, and he seems to have a real mastery of the offensive act. Here's your offensive coordinator. Drew Petsing on what he's seen.
Speaker 11: So far, he was awesome. You know, I think his engagement in the meeting room certainly showed up. You saw some strides quickly, like it was something that didn't take very long, but I got it. That's what we talked about in the meeting room.
Speaker 5: Here it is on the field.
Speaker 11: I'm going to go out and make sure that I'm focused on and getting it done. So really encouraged by that. He was really into it. I think it was exciting and fun for him to be out there. So it was great to see that. I mean, anytime you go through an injury in or rehab like that, your first time back on the field, there's some emotion, some energy, and it was good to see that from him.
Speaker 4: That Chiante also told us as a rookie last year, one of his initial takeaways was just watching Kyler fit the ball in, just zip the ball into those tight windows. And I mean, you tell us that that's what makes an effective NFL quarterback, right because in the NFL, look, the separation isn't three yards like it is in college.
Speaker 1: It's closer to three inches.
Speaker 4: And so when you have a quarterback like that, and I don't know what you've seen so far, but when you have the accuracy and the anticipation, I mean, that's how you win in the NFL, right, because you're not going to dominate most of these They're not gonna be wide open.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So, in terms of what Kyler has done out there, and in terms of the knee especially, you tell us what mental hurdle maybe did you have to overcome because we don't know where Kyler is mentally necessarily with the knee, But tell us from your perspective, how big a deal was that for you mentally with your need.
Speaker 6: I feel like I don't know, it's different because me and him are in two completely different situations. Where me, like I was coming in I've never even seen what the NFL looks like. Where him, He's had a lot of success already. But for like him, I kind of just feel like, I mean, he's Kyler. He knows he's good, you know what I'm saying. So I feel like it's not gonna be as big of a hurdle as people with thinks. Now, obviously when you get there out there on the field, like things are gonna be moving faster in practice because adrenaline in this game speed. But if there's a person I feel like who could kind of overcome that easily, it definitely be him.
Speaker 1: How about you personally, Garrett, what was it like to have that serious knee injury and then you trying to come back? Was there was there was there hurdles that you needed to overcome mentally when you were trying to get back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: This is without The past year without that has been like the hardshear in my life for sure, Because anybody knows me, like I football is like really like truly like a passion of mind. So not being able to play was different as I was like that was my first surgery ever. So like a lot of different things, and then it just gets back to the thing of like when you're on crutches and needing people just to help you get up the stairs and get into your car and carrious like so many little things like that you take for granted, Like there's a thing I'll never forget. It was like right after I had gotten hurt. So I'm still Syracuse, maybe two days after the injury, and my mom's in my apartment and I was trying to shower and I slipped and I fell and my mom had to pick me up off the ground.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And I was like butt naked.
Speaker 6: And so imagine I'm twenty one years old, thinking I'm growing and my mom.
Speaker 5: Has to pick it up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Awkward, Yeah, things like that, Like it kind of puts the same perspective, and it just makes you more grateful just to even like be able to be out there and not even just play football, just to walk again, you know what I'm saying, Run around and just not feel your knee hurting every second. Like it's it's a lot of different things you got to overcome that you don't even think of. And when I got to Arizona, things got a little bit easier because I had guys like Kyler and Zach who are dealing with the exact same things, So we could kind of talk about those different things we were struggling with, and it kind of feel like helped each of us kind of get going. So like for me personally, seeing Zach get out there week one and do his thing, it gave me a lot of confidence seeing him go out there taking hits, run around, making plays. So I'm really really grateful that I'm able to be around this type of guys.
Speaker 1: Was there an adjustment period for you in regard to being in between the white lines and knowing that your knee was going to be okay? Did you think about it when you were out on the field trying to come back?
Speaker 5: I thought about it.
Speaker 6: I thought about it a lot before I got activated, So like when I was out there with the trainers running around, you know, it was very like, you know, sometimes I'd be very like hesitating things like that, But once I got cleared and I was out there with the guys, honestly, it's you know, there's not much thinking about that, you know, I'll just be locked in.
Speaker 1: And it's corner. Such a physical position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they change the direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know how it could be any more demanding.
Speaker 5: On that body part. Oh it is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And don't get it twisted like it's you know, I still have to do stuff for my knee daily, Like this is a never never for me, Like the rest of my career, I would be very big.
Speaker 5: On that type of stuff.
Speaker 6: But you still deal with those knee soreness, knee pain like things like that. But we have a really good staff, like sports performance staff surrounded surrounding me and all the guys, and they make me feel really comfortable. So when I did get out there, I didn't really have to second guess anything because they made sure I knew that I was ready.
Speaker 4: Zach Ertz, Garrett Williams, So Kyler Murray is next? TikTok, Well, what are you reporting? What are you tweeting out there about their sources? When's he coming back?
Speaker 1: You know me, I don't break any stories. I'm like you.
Speaker 4: Single game tickets on sale now. Go to Easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. All right, we'll talk about the Ravens. Oh just the twenty nineteen MVP. Lamar Jackson next and the Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Lamar under center.
Speaker 4: Fourth down and one at the Lion seven. Ricard goes in motion. Jackson play fake, He'll keep it, run to the left side. He's flip five.
Speaker 1: You walk in touch down. Now.
Speaker 12: That is creativity from this offense, showing them one thing which they've done over and over and over and then booting it off a nicked boot out of that with Lamar outstanding play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt, that's Jerry Sandusky Rod Woodson on Ravens Radio. Well, let's see here, Ron.
Speaker 5: Hopefully.
Speaker 4: Baltimore scored a touchdown in its first four possessions at home against Detroit and their last outing it was twenty eight to nothing before the Lions had a first down.
Speaker 1: Is that good? That's really good?
Speaker 4: Pretty darn good, Big Red Rage. Garrett Williams is our guest the Round three Rookie All, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are live from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson. You know us is pretty pretty good, Lamar Jackson. Their quarterback, Garrett you're probably aware he's top three in passer rating, completion percentage, passing yards, and oh, by the way, he's eighteenth in the NFL in rushing. That's including all the running backs. So you tell us what jumps off the film when it comes to number eighth.
Speaker 6: He's special. You know, he can he can kill you in every single way you could think of. And he's playing comfortable. You know, I think that's the big thing for any FOLL player. He looks comfortable out there. Then you add his amazing skill set on top of it. That's what that's what's gonna happen. You know, they're doing a good job of them put the right place and right people around for him to succeed, and he's he's making HAVM.
Speaker 1: You know, it's amazing about watching them once again under John Harball. The one thing you know you're gonna get with the Baltimore Ravens is a very physical football team offensively, defensively, and in transition. Watching them offensively, first intent, they're in two back fifty percent of the time. I mean it's it's like a fifty to fifty split. They're in one back and two back sets right there, and they run it all. They go eleven personnel, one back, one tight end, three wide receivers all the way to twenty personnel where you've got two backs and you've you've got no tight ends. I mean, it's really interesting to see what they're doing. And yet at the same time, all they do is attack the line of scrimmage over and over and over again. The Baltimore Ravens are very physical football team. That shows up on tape, doesn't it again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, the very big offensive line, and they they played like you said, they play a physical brand of football. And so for us on defense and even the offensive too. You gotta just understand going into that game that you got a mass energy and they're gonna come in and think they can bill you. And that's just how they That's just how they go into games, and so you gotta throw your punches too and let them know that you're here.
Speaker 4: Just to first thing, Jonathan Gannon said, who he thinks they have an underrated offensive line. That was his big takeaway when he looks at that team. Obviously, Lamar Jackson gets a lot of publicity deservedly so, in fact, we asked Zaman Collins earlier this week just about the task of going against the twenty nineteen MVP.
Speaker 13: Lamar is pretty special, dude. He can obviously cause a lot of issues in the past game with just his feet and then obviously his talented arm. So you had something you watch teams trying to every week shut him down, you know. So it's definitely a tall task to do.
Speaker 4: Running ability, right, just I mean, there are two quarterbacks who can kill you from the pocket but can also run a four to three Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray and Zay Flowers was telling some of the this week. That's the rookie receiver for Baltimore. That just the running ability, the escapability, you know, his ability to extend the play. It makes Stebe's cover you twice. Yeah, So explain that because you've gone against safe Flowers before, now you go against Lamar. What does he mean by that cover you twice?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So there's the initial part when the play happens that they have their regular routes, you try to guard it, and then when your quarterback breaks the pocket, it's called scramble drill. And so when scramble drill, the receivers they basically make up and run their own routes, and so not every team is great at scrambled droll's because it really depends on the mobility and accuracy of.
Speaker 5: Every quarterback outside of the pocket.
Speaker 6: And so when you have guys like Lamar and Kyler, guys like that who can keep plays alive and still be accurate outside of the pocket, receivers feel way more comfortable running farther down the field and doing whatever they want because they know the ball still has a chance to get to them. So it definitely has been an emphasis for us this week in practice of staying on your guy, you know, don't get comfortable even when the play is you think it's dead, because with the Goblin Mars more than likely probably not done when you think it is, you know.
Speaker 1: And then you go ahead and you flip it over and look at their defense as well. Once again, this is a very physical defense right here. It's amazing because they're number two in the National Football League in the red zone. Red zone defense that is really really big. They're number one in goal to go defense, number one, and because of that, the harder the closer you get to the end zone, the harder it becomes to score against these guys. It's truly incredible to watch it on tape. They're the number one scoring defense in the National Football League thirteen point nine points per game. The Baltimore Ravens defensively, and you know what it really is, it's not even their rush defense as much as it is their pass defense. They're the number one defensive quarterback rating defense in the National Football League. Wow, number one opposingquarterbacks have an average up seventy point eight quarterback rating against them. Seventy point eight. Just abandon all hope, he who enter here. That's what it is. That's what this offense, our offense is going to be up against.
Speaker 4: But think about how it is week to week, Right like the week before Cleveland went out and they jack stomped the Niners and they had the number one defense in the NFL any week, and then the Colts just put thirty eight on them any week, PAULI, it's amazing now week to week, Eric, I don't you know, obviously you're figuring this all out in your rookie year. But I'm guessing a lot of guys are telling you, you know, you know, I mean, this is this isn't college. This isn't Notre Dame against some Division III school. I mean, you know, Cardinals went out and beat Dallas when they were supposedly a number one team in the Power Pole. So what has the mindset been like in practice this week?
Speaker 6: Probably it really just stays consistent. It's not really as much about who we are playing like now, obviously, like there's like the game plan and things like that, But I feel like for us, and really feel like a lot of teams, is really more about your own team and just improving your team within your locker room and getting better in practice and focusing on the details of controlling what you can control. You know, if you prepare how you're supposed to go and going into games, you're gonna probably play better in the games regassi of who you're playing against.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: So as long as you're taking care of yourself and the team is making sure that we're all helping each other get better, that's that's really just the main thing.
Speaker 4: And this will be your third matchup against Jay Flowers because you went against him at BC. Yep, that'll be interesting. Right now, he's number two among rookie receivers. Jay Flowers thirty nine grabs, four hundred and forty two yards, so route.
Speaker 1: Right now if you ask me, yeah, he is.
Speaker 5: Hey, how about it?
Speaker 1: Everyone?
Speaker 4: For Garrett Williams, I mean honestly, I'm like, could he deliver beyond the interception against Seattle? And yes he did tonight. Absolutely he did, really well done. Special thanks as always Jim al Mohundro, Codey Venture, Lauren Colebel Wald Ellis, Lawrence Ellis, for Ron Wolfley Help, Paul CALVC, Garrett Williams our very special guest on this edition of The Big Red Range presented by santan Ford in Gilbert Live from Trophy and Chandler.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Big Red Range presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two oh two Freeway in Valvesta. The Range is brought to you by seat Geek your Ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts Visit Azcardinals dot com Slash Podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Club