Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The clearing House of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in the air everywhere.
Speaker 3: The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller. Danny G is away.
Speaker 4: The Vegan will be in at some point, but it's not about Danny G. It's not about the vegans. We slide into this Friday, the fifteenth day of November.
Speaker 3: The man of the hour, my brother in audio arms.
Speaker 4: Who has been kind enough to hang out with us, even though he has no contractual obligation to do this and can do whatever the hell he wants now, the Great Eddie Garcia. Eddie, I love you, man, Thanks for thanks for coming on. It's been it's been a crazy, crazy week obviously for you. I've I've been through this before. It doesn't make it any better. I know you've You've been in the business a long time. What is the last you know, a few days been life for you, Eddie. I mean, it's been crazy for all. Everyone love you, but what's it been like for you.
Speaker 5: Well, when I listened the first night after the news came out that they were letting me go and thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it. And I texted Coop, our producer, and his response is kind of how I've been feeling.
Speaker 1: This is weird.
Speaker 5: So that's how I feel. It just feels weird. I don't know that it's completely hit me. I'm not angry, I'm not bitter, but I am sad. You know, you can't work for twenty three years at a place and then have it end kind of like with a snap of the fingers and then not be sad about it. But you know, it was a great run. I never dreamed I'd have a job for twenty three years, that's for sure. And a matter of fact, I just had my twenty third anniversary in the end of October. And when every time you hit that, you kind of reflect on it and think, man, it's been so long, and it also doesn't seem that long. I know you and I have talked about this when we think, oh, my god, that was ten years ago or something like that.
Speaker 1: It seems like it was not that long ago.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's just weird. It's weird. It's been I was thinking about this too. It's been twenty three years since I've looked for a job. I'm not even sure exactly how to go about it in some respects. But yeah, it's yeah, I mean it's I will say this, and I talked to my wife about this, and hopefully it continues. Every time I've ever lost a job, I've gotten a better one, and this one will be hard to top, but I'm hopeful that that will happen.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I just want you to know.
Speaker 4: I Lorena, who is new to the to the Overnight Show, and it's kind of new to radio. She was she was an absolute wreck. I went in and she had not experienced like anything.
Speaker 3: Like this. I know you've been. You were there when.
Speaker 4: I I got whacked back in nine, and I remember that that was that was an odd time.
Speaker 3: You know, they didn't know what was going on, and then they.
Speaker 4: Brought they brought some people back and all that. So they you did the show Sunday night. I was away and people think that like I somehow knew.
Speaker 3: I had no idea.
Speaker 4: I knew the company was laying people off. I didn't know, you know, how that would affect affect our show. But I was in Kansas City actually was texting you over the weekend. I had told you that I met a bunch of listeners and several of them brought your name up, and we were attacking me because of your game show, prowess and the hockey. One guy was wearing a Penguin's jersey that showed up and they're like, we need more hockey, and we know, more Eddie and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So I text you over the weekend, and.
Speaker 4: Then I was flying back and I was actually sleeping and I heard I said this on the air the other night, but I had heard what it had. Yeah, because if you had sent some messages some other people that also had lost gigs and Sevy messages and all that. But so you they call you up on Monday morning or afternoon, I mean you sleep during the day, so it's got to be somewhat later in the day, right, and kind of walk us through that part of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got a text from our boss, Scott Shapiro, and it said, give me a call when you can. I have not physically seen Scott in I don't know ten years because of the shift we work.
Speaker 3: I know it is and I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I don't live close by, so there's no reason for you to like pop in and I live like thirty five miles away, and I you know, I don't just you know, so he has texted me before or just to say, hey, Ben's gonna be out, do you mind hosting with Brian?
Speaker 3: Know?
Speaker 5: Are you cool with that? So it wasn't you know, like I saw this text on like, oh crap. But as soon as I heard his voice, I knew either one of two things happened. Either someone died or I've been let go because I could hear it in his voice, So it was it was obviously the second one. So and Don Martin was on the call, the big boss, I guess, and I got God knows.
Speaker 1: When I've seen him.
Speaker 5: But anyway, I mean, you know, yeah, they had they said very nice things, and Don even mentioned specifically you know, Ben was let go and we brought him back. So you never know how it goes, you know. And I'm not gonna wait for them to call me back or anything.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 5: But I mean he did say that, so maybe maybe there's a glimmer of hope that I can come back at some point.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm all for it. Ed you know that, and you're you're exactly right. I I got I go on, Jane. I remember the exact day. It was January twentieth of nine. They were swearing in Barack Obama as the president and there was a mass layoff the company had at that time, and they didn't tell me when I at that time that they might bring me back. I had taken some fill in gigs in Boston at EI, I did some stuff actually at the Angel Station, Ama thirty in Anaheim at the Big A and some other gigs like randomly I'd popped up on and then they called me months later. So but it was six months and twenty six days. Hopefully for you it won't. But yeah, I mean, like you said, you're out there. You've got a great body of work. I've done this a long time and you got connections I know in the hockey world. So there will be something, whether it's coming back to the Fox Sports Radio or whether or not you get something else, it'll be there. But one of the cool things about this and there's not anything really great about it.
Speaker 3: But one of the things for me is we've both lost our parents and whatnot.
Speaker 4: We've been to many funerals, and you go to funerals and people say how wonderful people are and how great they are.
Speaker 3: But they're dead. You know, you're very much alive. But I hope you felt the love.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was unbelievable how many people and you don't know this kind of stuff, like we kind of hide out at night, but you don't really realize who's listening, and how we affect are able to help people out, be part of their routine, and you.
Speaker 3: Really touched a lot of people's lives.
Speaker 4: You You're very proud of yourself, Eddie, because, uh, not only when I was meeting people, but but then the news came down, they were able. I was able to talk about it on the air and you heard a little bit of that. But the entire night, I mean, no people all over you know are p ones, but people I'd never heard from Eddie reached out to me to yell at me, tell me what an ahole I am, which I agree with, and then how much they love you. So what was that part of this by what's it been like to get all the love from the various people.
Speaker 1: It's been awesome. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I know you gave out the email address and also the social media there. It's funny because it's Eddie on Fox. It needs to be Eddie not on Fox anymore, I guess, but I have not And if anybody wants to send an email, I will respond at some point, but it's Eddie on Fox at gmail dot com. I've gotten probably like seventy emails which I haven't responded to yet because I just kind of want to take my time, but I will. I promise I will respond to all of them. And then I did go on social media after you made the announcement on the air, and then kind of, you know, made the announcement myself and responded to some messages. So no, it's very humbling. My wife has talked to me about this, and she was, you know, we met in part because of Fox Sports Radio, so that's, you know, another thing that that job is connected to for sure, how you impact people's lives, and I don't you and I don't think about that really when we're just having fun doing our job. And doing something we're passionate about. But when you hear people say, you know stuff like you know, I was going through a tough time and you guys helped me get.
Speaker 1: Through it, or you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, one I'll never forget was getting a message from a guy who was dying and he just said, hey, I'm not going to be around much longer. I just want to say thanks for all the good times you guys gave me. And you're just like, geez, wow, it's but no, it's been great. I really appreciate it all.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I got a call from the Fresno State play by play guy Paul Leffler, who I've only met once in person and have a message with a few times. You know, I'm obviously very proud of my little school and talk about it as often as I can. And he messaged me which was kind of out of the blue, which was really cool. But he's obviously a radio guy, so he gets it. So yeah, lots of calls, lots of emails, lots of messages. It's all very much appreciated. And as you know, it's not like we you don't ever get a chance to say goodbye. I know, I know, you're there one day and you're gone to net and then you just kind of like deal with it.
Speaker 4: I was just happy I got to talk about you because I've been in situations before in my career where you know, people I've worked with have been you know, let go, and I just we just had to pretend like they didn't exist, and at least and I.
Speaker 3: Told them, I was like, and they knew it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've been such a big part of what I've done in Fox Sports Radio that I had to be able to to talk about you and and to celebrate your career, which is not over.
Speaker 3: I mean, you'll probably uh get a better job.
Speaker 4: Make me look like a jackass, but uh but but no, I mean, and I was thinking about I said this a little bit on the air, like, you know, we've been together.
Speaker 3: We you know, we started out.
Speaker 4: We were both you're a little older than I am, but I was in my twenties. I think when I met you, and you know now we're kind of like middle aged angry dudes and stuff. We're both single guys, are you know, we we've lost parents and whatnot and been through Uh, I'm not sure when you I don't know when you when exactly did you starty?
Speaker 3: What year I'm trying to do the math on this.
Speaker 4: I'm no malor math, but it was what year did you start at the company, because you remember.
Speaker 5: Of twenty It was two thousand and one, okay. And my first shift, I remember, was during the Diamondbacks Yankees World Series.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so that was shortly after like the nine to eleven stuff all that.
Speaker 5: So so that's how I always remembered when I started.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And I mean think about I would say, and I don't know for you, and obviously your this is about you, it's not about me. But the thing that blew me away in this time working with you was the COVID years, which went for like way too long in my opinion. But we had nothing to We're a sports radio show. We had nothing going on, and we were totally just futsing around trying to kill I was doing monologues on Marble Racing.
Speaker 3: You had to do news updates, which was basically what are they going to come back to play?
Speaker 4: And we had more people listening. And I think that period time. I don't know if you agree with me on that any but I think for me, that period of time was such a connection with people because there were a lot of people that were just lonely and depressed, and it was just it was, I felt, a very important time for this show, and you were a huge part of that, you know, playing the games and deffing around and that whole thing.
Speaker 3: You know, it really was. It was crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, absolutely, and uh it was. It was funny when you were, you know, doing your home studio stuff and the gremlins would attack and I would have to take over for a little bit. I remember I was thinking, maybe I should have something prepared, blah blah blah, and then I realized, they don't care about that. They just want to I'll just take a couple of calls and we'll goof around with somebody until Ben comes back. That's what they that's what they care about. They don't really care about me doing some half assed mallor monologue. So that was always an interesting time when that happened. And uh, because we didn't know how long you'd be gone too. Sometimes it was twenty seconds. Sometimes you had to drive into the studio.
Speaker 4: I know, it was so stupid, It was so dumb, and it's you know, it still happens every once in a while.
Speaker 3: I guess Loraino hosts a show.
Speaker 6: Down but but but no, it was it was you know, it's it's crazy with the gremlin stuff and I it's one thing that I really wish I could tone down because I spend so much time preparing for the show and the monologue.
Speaker 4: You and you know, Eddie, you're absolutely right, like I go out, I just we were just inns the city. Nobody gives a shit about my opinions on sports. I just want to hang out, you know, I just want to you know, they want to talk. They you know, they like that I'm talking. But I could I could read Wikipedia page you too, right, you could just you know, at the top of the eye we goof around.
Speaker 3: And stuff, but you could.
Speaker 4: You know, you just want to hear your voice pretty much. It's not necessarily what you're talking about. It's that you're talking. I think that's the most important thing. And I I've and we're both radio guys and stuff like that. I always thought that's kind of the connection live radio and it.
Speaker 3: Especially at night. Like I've worked during the day. I know you worked during the day too. I feel like just.
Speaker 4: Radio is more important at night to be because they're usually by themselves and you know you're listening whether you're work. You know, I can't tell you how many guys I've met you've been out at these meet and greets, Eddie.
Speaker 3: They call it old man disease. Well, you just can't sleep at night.
Speaker 4: You get to a certain age and whatever the reason, you're just up at night and you need something to keep your company.
Speaker 3: So it means a great deal.
Speaker 4: But you were a huge part of that, and I as far as the rivalry, you will stay claim, Eddie to the all time winning percentage.
Speaker 3: You're claiming that? Is that correct?
Speaker 1: That's absolutely correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I do have We used to.
Speaker 5: We used to have a guy that kept track of the results. And I don't know whatever happened to that guy, do you?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you we well, we we had a couple of people that would keep well. One was in Australia, right, Ozzie Was it not Ozzy guy? Was it Ozzie momentum? One of the guys in Australia would keep track, although I believe they adocted.
Speaker 3: The numbers in your favorite were part of your team there, yea.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about this, Ben because people are like, hey, you know you got to you gotta stay in touch, blah blah blah. I was thinking, Uh, at some point I'll have to call in to play a game and play with you.
Speaker 1: How much would that blow people's minds?
Speaker 5: Have you and I on the same team after being rivals for so long?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no one will, No one will be to beat us. I want you to know you're also in you know, you know, Eddie. I mean not that you probably ever want to go back there until you get rehired at some point, hopefully you will, but you're more than welcome, just like you know Roberto who left to go I can become a bus driver, Eddie.
Speaker 1: You're not no, no, definitely not no.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, I'm trying. I think who else has left? Uh? I don't know.
Speaker 4: People leave for random jobs or whatever. But I've always said I, and I mean this. Have I ever losed this job? Which probably sooner than later. Maybe I'll go to Costco or something. Then I'll be I'll be fun. I don't know, but it's.
Speaker 5: Well you said about you were talking about nobody cares about your monologues.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 5: But what they really do remember is the funny moments, the crazy callers. That kind of stuff is what really citticks and resonates with people. And I mean, I've thought about it certainly while I was still doing the job. But to get paid to laugh and goof around and talk about sports is a dream come true. So twenty three years of doing that, pretty lucky guy.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and listen, we had a great rivalry and you made me better. I loved going against you in the game shows. And I've told people when I've gone out and been able to meet listeners, and we had a great turnout this past weekend in Kansasity.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about that on the Saturday podcast. But really, the whole thing is that we really want to win.
Speaker 4: It's not fake, like we really genuinely are competitors, and it's we're not playing I guess, are you still playing hockey? You were playing hockey at last night? Heard are you still playing like adult hockey? I am, yes, Okay, well I'm not. This is the only competition I have. It's either me sitting on a treadmill looking at my you know, listening to music or my.
Speaker 3: Whatever, listening to my phone.
Speaker 4: But the competition I have is with Eddie, and so we would go head to head and yeah, I know you could admit, now, Eddie, you're not working there.
Speaker 3: You did cheat a little bit, but you could you could admit that.
Speaker 1: No, you never once, never, once.
Speaker 3: You were caught at least twice. Uh you know, I forgive you, Eddie. I love you.
Speaker 1: I The only the only.
Speaker 5: Person that ever said they witnessed you cheating was Jonas Knox, and that was that was not solicited.
Speaker 1: He came in, He's like, I saw Ben looking up answers. I'm like, I knew it almost.
Speaker 4: That is correct. Jonas made that up. He's a liar. It's a bad job by him. Uh So, of all the nicknames, because you know, I want to make sure we don't forget these. We need to document the nicknames because I have the most nicknames, but you kept picking up nicknames, many of them you hate.
Speaker 3: But I guess let me do the nickname run.
Speaker 4: Down for Eddie here and we'll see which ones you like and which ones you now I've called.
Speaker 1: You right away which one I hate the most?
Speaker 4: Shuttle all right, but these are among the nicknames that we gave Eddie over the years we worked together. The shuttle Cock of sports Talk, which you decided he hated the punchline Assassin, which you got for lame jokes. All hail King Eddie, which was a homage. Remember that guy in jail in Montana.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 4: The drop, That was one of the crazier guys that we had called the show, right. He had a very high pitched voice. He was in jail for a white collar crime.
Speaker 3: He couldn't he had some illness where he couldn't sleep, so they gave him.
Speaker 4: A phone and he used to call our show from jail and love you Eddie, Love you the great Zamboni.
Speaker 3: Ice Ice Garcia, slick Willy.
Speaker 4: Chili, Willie, cheating Willy, pretty much any Willy, Steamboat Willie. I'm proud of that one, the Steamboat Willie one that was very good. You war shirts. You have shirts steamboat Willie? I do, yeah, got that for the Chargers draft one year. They had a party at Disneyland, right, and we cast.
Speaker 5: It's correct And I took off work to go to that, and you didn't never let you forget it.
Speaker 3: Golden Pipes, purveyor of puck.
Speaker 4: And then of course you know Edmund Dallas Judius, Steamboat Willie Garcia, I think Fillmore Mike gave you the nickname road Dog. I don't know what is that some kind of weird Fillmore thing? We haven't heard from Filmore? My I didn't called me in a while.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, you called Aquaman at one point.
Speaker 4: Kabana boy, remember the Kabana boy because you were hanging out.
Speaker 1: I did like that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a celebrity Charger fan. That woman that's a friend of your wife's there, Nacho Daddy you met was it Robin Vegas?
Speaker 3: You met it now?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: The Murman. That was a great. Oh that was great. You went to the fountain in Sherman Oaks at the Galleria.
Speaker 1: That was one of the all time memories.
Speaker 3: That was one of the greats. Yeah, that was outstanding. That was during COVID I think, right, was that during the kind of COVID time or No, I don't, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know, I don't, I don't remember. I remember Brian no was did play by play because he was filling in. He happened to be there, so he walked across with me. It was what the bet was with him. That's why we I paid it off with it was there? Yeah, and uh yeah, maybe not.
Speaker 4: Bad news bears Uh Judas is Solid Gold Corporate nine to five. All right, we give you that jar Jard, the mad F bomber. You did say the F word on the air, Eddie, No, I didn't you did. It's the people know they've heard it.
Speaker 3: The puck Ducker, Triple A gated Garcia.
Speaker 4: No, that was you had an issue with your is it your car or something like that and Triple A had to come out there.
Speaker 3: But you were in a gated community? Is that correct? Am I am? I remembering that small.
Speaker 5: I there was a I had a street going there of like once a month, having to call Triple A to work because I was so stupid. I would put my car keys in my backpack and then I would get out of the car and I would lock the door with the button and then close the door like I'm fool and lock all my stuff in there. It was unbelievable how many times I did that, like and just the more a complete moron.
Speaker 1: So but no, the game.
Speaker 5: I do live in a little gated community, but it's like the most low rung gated community you could ever live in. It's it's just a gated community. But because there's a gate that keeps you out. But it's not like you would think it's. But I like that. That's a good That's a good one, Cabana boy, I like. I think I think my favorite is probably the great Zambone Me.
Speaker 1: I think it's my first Zamboni.
Speaker 3: That is a good one. Well.
Speaker 4: Also, I'm not done, Eddie. There's oh no, there's more games of Note, Garcia.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 4: That was your That was I have you know in the air everywhere you have games of note.
Speaker 3: That's your that's your thing.
Speaker 5: And that was not like trying to come up with something that was just how do I let these people know. I'm not giving them all the scores. I'm gonna give them the games that I think are important. So that's where that came from.
Speaker 4: And we sparred many times over what a game of Note was, Eddie. Sometimes I thought a game of Note was different than you. And I've made sure I let you know that. I yeah, it was more important.
Speaker 5: Well, and I tried to tell you that games that are worthy of talking about on a game show are not a game show on a talk show, are different than a.
Speaker 1: Game of note.
Speaker 5: Like there is if something juicy happens in the game, you know, fight on the sidelines, then that makes it something you want to get into.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't mean that that was a great game that everybody needs to know the score of. So that's where I was coming from with that.
Speaker 4: All right, now we have to throw the red flag. That was a nickname we gave you glass toe. Remember you hurt your toe.
Speaker 5: Broke my only broken bone in my life. I took a slapshot off my left big.
Speaker 3: Toe gas like Garcia did a lot of that. Oh and the cookie crook.
Speaker 4: Remember you took the cookies from Loraina, so he called you the cookie crook there.
Speaker 5: Well you would you would say that I couldn't have a cookie because I did something to make you mad.
Speaker 3: That was me. That's right, that you took What did you eat from lorraino?
Speaker 5: Oh that was the potato ball? Oh the potato that was her first, her first day on the job.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the club.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: That's a top move, is what that is.
Speaker 5: I didn't well, that's that's low for you to say that, But I didn't take it out of the But you know that when when people leave food in that on that desk in our kitchen. That is the sign for if anyone wants to eat this, eat it now. She didn't know that in her defense, but also I didn't know that she was just white. Likely if you have food that you bring into work, why would you just lay it on a table and walk away from it. So she learn she had to learn lesson that day, and.
Speaker 1: She did well.
Speaker 4: She's learning about radio Eddie. As I said, she was very emotional, as many people were. But you know, it's your your deal, it's your life. But people very upset and she was, and I tried to explain to her. I was like, this is listen this unfortunately, this is a side note. We all know eventually this is going to happen to us.
Speaker 3: But you've you've handled.
Speaker 4: It great and you've made you made quite the connection with a number of listeners. I know Manuell and Guardina, who was in the last listener to visits last week, he called up said some nice things about you. But of all the listeners, Eddie, the one that you have gone above and beyond for is Siria Sean. Yes, he called up last very upset. You have been very kind to him. You've gone to games with him. He loves you more. You're like a big brother to him, like a father figure to Siria Sean. And he said, he called up last night, he said he you know, he's going to continue and you're gonna still be friends with him and all that. But you did a great job. Because we've known Sean he was in high school. He's all grown up now.
Speaker 3: He's got a few issues. We all have issues. And he loved our show.
Speaker 4: And his teacher actually had reached out to me his senior year in high school. It's like, hey, he really listens. This is the most important show, and he wants to meet you and.
Speaker 3: Eddie very important.
Speaker 4: He meets you, Eddie, and he came out and we know he's been part of our family ever since. He lives in Arizona. Now he lives in southern California. But that's the kind of thing man, And people don't they know a little bit about that Eddie.
Speaker 3: But and that's cool. We're known out there promoting.
Speaker 4: We're not like Russell Wilson going to children's hospital with a camera crew to doctor.
Speaker 1: I love Russell Wilson. I've come around on Russell.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, Okay, that basket throw they throw.
Speaker 3: That was the basket catch. Uh, this was beautiful.
Speaker 4: That was a that's a that's a legendary throw by Russell Wilson.
Speaker 5: And I was watching it on my phone in Sofi Stadium at a Chargers game and watching it live, and I had all these Charger fans. I was like, Mike Williams just kind of game when he touched off with the Steelers and everyone was excited.
Speaker 1: They were all like, Oh, that's awesome. That was that was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Speaking now, you've never been to Kansas City? Is that correct? You don't go to a You told me that a while ago. You've got arrowhead, you got it.
Speaker 5: I'd love to go. It's not my call, it's it's my wife. She doesn't want to go. She she hates.
Speaker 3: It's an iconic stadium, right.
Speaker 5: I understand it may not be around much longer. You need to see it before it goes away.
Speaker 3: Maybe so they're gonna move, and by I want you to know idea.
Speaker 4: I was driving around Kansas City and you go in and out of Kansas and Missouri. They're intertwined like cities. So they're gonna move, probably to Kansas the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: But true.
Speaker 1: But the new stadium. You're saying, see this old Venerable stadium, right, I.
Speaker 4: Mean I you know, I'm pretty jaded and grumpy like you, Eddie. You know we're around the same agent, so it takes a lot for me to like be wow, this.
Speaker 3: Is kind of cool. This is like I'm flashing back to my youth.
Speaker 4: But I remember when I was a kid watching games on TV at Arrowhead Stadium and whether it be a holiday or something like that, or a Monday night game, and then to walk in there and to tailgate, uh, and it was it was great. And uh, just just people. They just do it a little different there, just a little different. I've been to a Bill's game years ago and that was that was before they were known as Bill's Mafia. That was pretty wild. But this is one of the great experiences. And there we're Bronco fans walking around.
Speaker 3: So you can show up and and I know people.
Speaker 4: The guy that I sent some photos out of, this guy that has the short bus and he's a he's a friend, so I have his number now. So if you go, you could be like the Charger fan on the short bus, you and your wife and it'll cook amaze. Were eating barbecue Eddie at at like eight in the morning.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's the dream come true.
Speaker 3: The delicious, most delicious barbecue. I'm drinking. I'm like, I don't know what, I'm breaking my diet for a day.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: But you got to get the airhead. And how many NFL stadiums have you been to? Now?
Speaker 4: You and your wife going this pilgrimage every year. You've been doing this for as long as I can remember. But it's never the AFC West. You don't go the Raiders and the Broncos.
Speaker 3: And the Chiefs. You don't worry about that. You're worried about other games.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, it's it's usually a vacation slash football game. It's usually a place we like, we'd like to go visit, and it has to be kind of we both agree on it. And my wife is you know, she's she is as hardcore an NFL fan as you will ever find, and she hates every team in the AFC West because she's a Chargers fan. And so because of that, her like she doesn't want her thing is I don't want to go to that stadium and hear all those people and then if we lose, I got to hear it like the whole game. So that's her thing. I've tried to say, you know, I like Kansas City and Denver. I think would be cool places to go. I'm trying to talk her into it, but you know, we'll see. But I don't know how many stadiums we've been to, but you're right, every year we try and do that. We've been to Chicago and DC and Seattle.
Speaker 3: And Pittsburgh many times right.
Speaker 5: Here in Arizona. Pittsburgh many times. Obviously when the Steelersn't Chargers play, because that's our two favorite teams, we always go to that game. They play each other a lot. Since we've been married, which is sixteen years now, so.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's before I forget you did want to know those things. At Eddie's wedding.
Speaker 4: You knew I eat like a child, and you and your wife, I don't know if this is you or your popular wife, but made sure that I had chicken fingers, that I had my food, my food of choice, which was the coolest thing because I hate wedding food. It usually sucks, but you made sure I have a special plate of chicken fingers.
Speaker 3: I'm very grateful to that, Eddie.
Speaker 1: I appreciate You're more than welcome.
Speaker 4: Invite you to my wedding because I didn't have a wedding carried on a deserted beach in Hawaii because I'm an introvert and I didn't want to deal with with with all that, so it didn't didn't bother that at all.
Speaker 3: Tell me there's so much oh the the Ohio.
Speaker 4: I know you're not part of the chauffe Now hopefully the company wises up and brings you back. But I am planning on going to Ohio next year. Maybe the Chargers will play the Bengals or the or the Browns or something.
Speaker 3: We can plant it out.
Speaker 4: I'd love for you to go, so I want you to meet Dick and Dayton. I know I got to meet the dixter as you famously. You had the great joke about the Dick picks he would give out on the air. Just a great character. And I'm hoping to go there next year. I don't know your schedule. I mean Lorraine also and Cooper like and the boys were like, if we go to Vegas because that's like a drive, you know you can drive to Vegas.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll do We're talking.
Speaker 4: About doing a mallor meet and greet every year in Vegas at least one of them, and we'll have one in southern California. So hopefully, to me, you're part of the show for life and you're part of our family. Unless you work for a competitor, then you're dead to me. But no, no, I hopefully you can still come out because people love you and you can go out and hang out. And I know IM's still gonna you know, you're still going to come to the hopefully the Ugly Sweater party and hang out with.
Speaker 3: Us and all that. So well, I'll still see you.
Speaker 4: I'll try to make make it to some more Charger games because I know you'll be there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will.
Speaker 3: I definitely know you'll be there. I saw you on the scoreboard. I saw the photo you were on the scoreboard.
Speaker 5: I know it was funny. My wife's like, why don't you smile. I'm like, I am smiling. I've just got this.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I hate those people who act like crazy fools when they get put on cameras, So why I'm not going to do it when they do it to me, I just gonna sit there and be.
Speaker 1: Like the fact you've been there before, right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: So how can people keep in contact?
Speaker 4: You already give the email addresses to social media hasn't changed. You probably should change that, but effort maybe not because you can come back, But how can people get ahold of you?
Speaker 3: And also the podcast? You have a very popular hockey podcast.
Speaker 4: Which I will make sure to promote, much to the dismay of management, as much as.
Speaker 3: I can, even though you're not working for us anymore.
Speaker 4: I will promote your podcast It's Fucked the World, right, But you also do something else.
Speaker 3: You do a couple podcasts. Am I correcting that? Or am I wrong on it?
Speaker 5: Well, Puck the World was what I did on your show, And I always appreciate you giving me that little bone because you know how much I am passionate about hockey, and yeah, a little it ever gets talked on sports talk radio. So I appreciated that little weekly bone that you threw me. So thank you for that.
Speaker 1: The NHL podcast I've done now for eighteen.
Speaker 5: Years, which eighteen years, yeah, they want they won't fire me from that because.
Speaker 1: I'm the boss.
Speaker 3: Oh you like it so much? You bought the company, are you all?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 5: It's Puck podcast, very simple, and we got on board doing it way before it was cool and way before respectable people were doing podcasts. So Puck Podcast is our weekly NHL podcast me and my college buddy have been doing for eighteen years. And then an old Fox Sports radio guy we streached out to me a couple of years ago, see if he knew I loved the La Kings. He's working now for the Lockdown Sports Network and asked if I wanted to do a King show, and I said absolutely so. Also, it's uh locked on La Kings. Make sure you put La Kings or else you will get a basketball team in Sacramento.
Speaker 3: Uh, And nobody wants that.
Speaker 5: And that's a Monday through Friday show, so it does keep it keeps me busy, cool and obviously the season's going on and the Kings are doing pretty well. So if you want to support me in either of those places by liking and subscribing and downloading, I would greatly appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, keep in contact and we'll I'll have you on this dopey podcast and you're always invited, Eddie, you know, not if you can't sleep or you want to take a night away from the wife or something like that. You're more than welcome to uh to come hang out with us.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I got some extra sleep last night. I don't know how I enjoyed it, though I don't. I kind of didn't like it. So I don't know how I'm gonna adjust to that.
Speaker 3: You're more more. You have an open invitation, all right, you know you might want to park on the street. Now we'll get your parking and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: So but hopefully they take care of Thank you so much, man, it's been great, and I'll well, you know, we're not you know, I know we.
Speaker 3: Were work friends. You got to work on being like we got to talk more. We'll have to. I'll send you a random text. I'm not gonna go full loony where Looney when he got let go? You know it's NonStop, but I'll uh.
Speaker 1: I did hear from Looney by the way, so oh good.
Speaker 3: Gooey was very upset.
Speaker 4: I we had talked. He'd you know, he'd wondered what had happened because of the stories. Its people getting laid off around the country and stuff. So but anyway, listen continued success Eddie.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan.
Speaker 4: You know that We've been through a lot together on the radio, and we'll hopefully work together again at some point here and I'll have you on.
Speaker 3: Maybe i'll have you on before you know. We'll talk hockey randomly, I'll uh, I'll put my shame aside Eddie for you, and we'll do that.
Speaker 4: But have a great weekend here and enjoyed that. Maybe I'll be at the Charger game on Slay. Maybe I'll see you or not, but say how to your wife and and take care.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I will thank you so much.
Speaker 5: I appreciate the kind words on the show there the day after, and uh, appreciate your friends. And you're great at what you do. There's no one else. I say this completely seriously. There's nobody else I would rather have worked with at Fox Sports Radio than you. It was a blast. I loved it. Who knows, maybe it'll happen again, but if not, I had a great time.
Speaker 1: And you do. You're great at what you do, Ben, and I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Go.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I'm leaving. Goodbye.