Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios Podcasts Radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in Asia. I'm Stephen Carroll with Caroline Hepker, and we're joined by our markets reporter, Anthony Stevens. Anthony, let's start, perhaps almost every day, it seems, with technology. Custom chips, a big focus with the OpenAI build-out. How's that playing out in the Asian session today?
Speaker 3: That's a very interesting combination going into Nvidia earnings. You have one of Nvidia's biggest customers coming out with competitive chips. Now, OpenAI's chips are supposedly addressing the inference problems around LLM models like it has itself. So it's also solving problems for other LLMs. And why that's interesting is this custom chip trend continues to accelerate even as Nvidia's own chips are sold out. So At the moment, there is pretty much insatiable demand for anything regarding computing power. But how far that runway extends is a big question in the Nvidia earnings. But for now, that's enough for investors in Asia with the runway in Taiwan and Korea very clear. You have the likes of MediaTek up 5.6%, Lagan is up, limit up, and Samsung and Hynix continue their two-day rally. They started off very weak yesterday and they've rallied around 6% in a straight line.
Speaker 4: Interesting. Pharmaceutical shares are also on the rise. What's driving that?
Speaker 3: So this speaks to like a new dawn in terms of drug development across a few technologies that's been brewing for a while. So you have had that mRNA technology that came out during COVID now finally being put to use for other things, most notably skin cancer in the case of Moderna. Moderna was up 14% overnight and that's pretty much got all of the mRNA players in Asia flying Most notably, CanSino, who again made the vaccines during COVID, that's up 23% to start. And there have also been some pretty strong earnings out of the Chinese pharma names like Insino BioPharm and Innovant, which are being buoyed by the Chinese success in the oncology space. Innovant, for example, is up 9% today.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the drop in oil prices is having an effect on energy shares across Asia.
Speaker 3: It has been interesting, right? As oil tracked higher, the oil shares did keep up because margins on fuel products are quite tight at the moment. The production capacity is quite tight. So people did pile in to these oil names. And now this shock kind of drop in oil on the talks of Pakistan and Oman mediating a ceasefire. it has really rocked positioning. You're seeing Woodside down almost 4%. Ineos in Japan is underperforming the market sharply, down 2%. And Eska Innovation is drastically underperforming the Korean bull market. It's down 9%.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Very interesting isn't it in terms of all markets i mean i'm just kind of going back to the pharmaceutical story though that you mentioned um a moderna share price last week spiking that that huge number 177 i mean it was extraordinary wasn't it the kind of idea of personalized vaccines and this in that late stage trial being able to maybe uh reduce the recurrence of melanoma of this the kind of deadliest skin cancer i mean yeah it's hugely significant isn't it um Briefly, Antony, what do you think of the Besant story about bond buybacks? I mean, this is the big debate in bond markets, isn't it? How much of a put is there in markets and the size and scale of the US Treasury market? What do you think of it?
Speaker 3: There are two separate debates going on here. The first debate is how long can you pull this off for? How sustainable is it versus the pure fundamentals of the US economy? And on that front, you had Stanley Druckenmiller saying that it's not long-term feasible and so many others, right, who point to the fact that the structural deficit in the US is the big problem pushing on yields alongside the kind of deluge of AI debt that's coming as well. But on the short-term side of things, he is leaning into a very crowded trade. So he may be trying to just trigger a short squeeze, right? You have very extended positioning in ultra long bond futures. You have very extended positioning in options on the same trade. While yields are quite high and you do have real money that needs to be put to work at those yield levels. So he may just be needing to trigger a short squeeze to get what he wants while the situation with Iran is being worked out. So in terms of timing, it's very kind of a nuanced thing for people putting on this trade. You can put it on structurally, but you need to have the risk tolerance to let it run for a little while.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street. And for the latest market-moving headlines, listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg.com, and on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.