Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: We're this close to crowning and NBA champion. I like the Celtics, by the way. In six, Jalen Brown's going to be my MVP, and I love the Celtics in game one. But sign up ninety seconds put in the code Colins co l I N DraftKings sports book and official sports betting partner of the NBA. If you're a new customer, bet five bucks.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Just bet five bucks and you'll get one hundred and fifty bucks instantly in bonus bets. The code Colins co l I N shows them that you're a new customer to get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets only on DraftKings. The crown is yours. I'm leaning Celtics in six.
Speaker 4: Baby gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight open wired text ope and y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothill casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See DKG dot co slash bball for eligibility and depositive restrictions terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: What's up, everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. Game three other NBA Finals is in the books and the Dallas Mavericks were not able to come up with a win. And the reason I said it that way is because you know there's this whole scriptwriter thing, you know, social media and stuff, and they say, like there's a script, and like the script be written, and that's just what it is. And as someone who play in the NBA, I wish I had the script because Jackson, my producer, who is an avid Boston Celtics fan, has on my rundown. Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. We are here to break down Game three of the NBA Finals. The Dallas Mavericks got a big win without with Chris stops for zingis out and we have ourselves a series now.
Speaker 3: Thank god. I actually do my work before these things.
Speaker 1: And quite frankly, I just want to let you Dallas Mavericks fans know he jinks Yaw. He did this on purpose because he is a Boston Celtics fan and he and he jinks Shaw and so this rundown is wrong. However, we do not have our champs only guest tonight. A big shot Chance wasn't able to make it, so I do apologize to our audience. We will definitely have Chance on in the future, so we can talk about that some about the how bad the Warriors would beat the Pistons, uh, the four Pistons.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: But for now, we'll talk a little bit about the game, and quite frankly, if I'm honest, I don't really have much energy to talk about the game. Uh.
Speaker 3: And we'll talk about the legend the logo.
Speaker 1: Good friend the great Jerry West passing away, my relationship with him, and yeah, we'll just get into that.
Speaker 3: But first, the Celtics rode a monster second half on the way to the win.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jalen Brown really got it going in the wind which.
Speaker 3: Put the Celtics up three.
Speaker 1: Oh. I thought, you know, that was a very big half of Jalen very big half of the Celtics. But even going back before we get into that, J T and six, Jalen Brown thirty eight and eight, twenty four in the second half, Luca twenty seven, six and six, Kyrie thirty five to assist three boards, and.
Speaker 3: You will ask the question, is this series over? Yes, this series is.
Speaker 1: Over, And quite frankly, you kind of knew this series was over towards the end of the first quarter when the Dallas Mavericks went up twenty five. I'm sorry, y'all if I sound all over the place, that in my mind really has been all over the place, and I.
Speaker 3: Had a lot of stuff on my mind.
Speaker 1: So if I feel like I'm drifting a little bit, just bear with me, because my feelings are very hurt, my heart is very hurt, and I am very bothered today, So just bear with me. Appreciate you all tuning in, and I did not want to not show up at all, but just bear with me here. However, you kind of knew this series was over in the first quarter towards the end when Dallas had.
Speaker 3: A twenty five to twelve.
Speaker 1: League and then they did it, and you know, you give up a dunk at the end of the first quarter, it's tough, you know, you start giving up threes to Like Sam Hauser, that's how teams win championships. Always say championships are won six through ten, not one through five, And Boston is really proving that.
Speaker 3: Like Peyton Pritchard, a couple of big.
Speaker 1: Moments in game two, Sam Houser, big moments in game one, big moments in game three. You know, like you got other Xavier Tillman tonight, huge minutes from Xavier Tilman tonight. Defensively that all the energy that he brought to the floor, especially when the Celtics were lack of energy.
Speaker 3: X kind of went out there and.
Speaker 1: Was a stabilizer for them and brought great energy and kind of brought that group forward from an energy standpoint. Going in, you know you're going to Game three on the road up two oh, probably relaxed, and I think Xavier Tillman did a great job coming in and bringing energy.
Speaker 3: To a team that was struggling.
Speaker 1: Kind and then also, you know, the reality factor has set in for the Boston Celtics, which is like you know, when you're watching boxing, boxers come out, they do their thing, they box a little bit, but the first few rounds most boxers are kind of trying to figure out like their opponent, and once they take that first big shot, most boxers go one way or the other. And if you take that first big shot and you realize, like, wow, he can't knock me out, like he can't hurt me. The whole mindset of the boxer that took that took the other guys big shot is like, he can't hurt me.
Speaker 3: I'm pressing forward now.
Speaker 1: And you could tell that's kind of the mindset of the Boston Celtics. It's like their big shot can't hurt me. I'm pressing forward now. And every now and then you get relaxed in the seventh round and you make it dazed, but you know, you know, like this guy can't knock me out. And the boxers usually going to finish the fight or stop the fight or.
Speaker 3: Win the fight.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of where the Celtics are. They know Dallas's best shot can knock them out, and so they kind of mess around with the game. They go up, then they relax, they go up, they relax, come out, relax because you know they can't. And so that's kind of where it is. Needless to say when it was thirty. You looked up and you're the Dallas Mavericks. And after all you've went through. When you can't give up that dunk to Jason Tatum at the end of the quarter, that's crazy. And after all you went through, you look up start the second quarter a few seconds in and you're down thirty two to thirty one. That's just like a huge, huge body blow, like you just kind of it takes with Knox is a win out of you because you realize like damn ah, like all right, let's just keep pushing. And now a big, big, big psychological thing is this.
Speaker 3: So last podcast I mentioned.
Speaker 1: With me and Lou we was talking about Jordan Poole's shot, and the reality is, if you remember that game, Boston had went on a crazy run in that quarter and then Jordan Poole hit the shot and we were went up one point. And the difference in between being up one point or we went up one or two points, the difference in between being up one or two or down one or two is drastic because if you're up one or two, one or two, you go into the huddle and you like, yo, they just gave us their best shot, like they spent all that spending all that energy. They still down like, let's go finish the game now, like, let's make our run. And so just from a confidence standpoint, from a belief standpoint, you solid. But if you up one, down one or two, and we had already lost, like a game that we weren't supposed to lose to Boston and that series, if you're down one or two, then you look up and it's like, ah, like we did all of that and we down one, like we're down two going into the next quarter.
Speaker 3: It does something to you.
Speaker 1: So Boston Dallas going into the half up one allowed Dallas to kind of hold on to the false hope of light.
Speaker 3: Yo, fellas they made they run, we still got the lead. Let's go. However, if you're Boston.
Speaker 1: In and you're going into the second half, you going in and you're like, yo, you see that they just gave their best shot.
Speaker 3: You know, they just gave their.
Speaker 1: Best shot, and look at the score. We don't want like come on, let's go close these boys. And then you come out like Boston and you like go up twenty points.
Speaker 3: It's kind of the way it goes.
Speaker 1: They realize that they can't hurt them, and so the series is effectively over. I do think it'll be a sweep, and not because like Dallas will quit. I just think they've shown that Boston don't have enough. And so for all of us out there that kind of thought like Boston was gonna trick it off, we're wrong and most people want to accept that. Uh. I also wasn't, like, you know, thinking that this will happen. But anyway, UH happy that Xavier Tillman gonna get a ring, another Barton dog getting a ring. Happy for my brother j T he gonna get a ring. Would have loved something to see some of the guys on Dallas get the ring too, JB playing incredible, Drew get another one. A funny story, right, really funny story is Joe Hell and b tweet did the Bucks give them the championship?
Speaker 3: Them being Boston?
Speaker 1: And the answer to Joel's question is yes, they actually did because they traded Drew away, and like I just think even in that trade, like you gotta find and do all you can to like keep Drew, because Drew can guard bigger. So like there's Drew can play off the ball or on the ball, like there's no fit mismatch with like Drew and Dame. And I think, like, I don't think Portland was hell bent on getting Drew Holiday. Like, ultimately, I think that's what they got, but I don't think they were hell bent on it being Drew. But and I think there are some other things that the Boston i mean, Milwaukee could have done to keep Drew.
Speaker 3: But yes, ah they did.
Speaker 1: Because if you think about it, it's crazy because you know, brid Stevens won Executive of the Year and well deserved, Like to pull off that Drew move was huge. Ah, he traded Marcus Smart away and either brid Stevens got some incredible intel on like Drew Holliday is going to get traded soon and he's going to go to Portland and y'all will be able to send out nothing to Portland to get Drew Holliday back, and so it's okay to trade markt Smart. And the reality is, to me, it felt like Boston just panicked and didn't know what direction they were going to go, and they just panicked and traded market Smart and then like lo and behold, Milwaukee SAIDs Drew Holliday to Portland. Who Drew Holliday does want to go to Portland. Drew Holliday also wants to get an extension. Drew Holliday also wants to play winning basketball and don't want to play like the losing basketball in Portland.
Speaker 3: And because they're rebuilding, and so lo and behold.
Speaker 1: Then Portland says Drew to Boston and bam, they have their point guard, in which they did not really have a plan for. I think they was going to have Derek White maybe as the point guard, which Derek White can play the point guard, but Derek White's natural position to me as a point guard, and the team looks a lot different without Drew. And so then bam, they like, here you go Brad Stevens, and Brad Stevens made the incredible move of bringing Drew Holliday in there, and so and I said all of that to say Joel and Bee's questioned that he knew the answer to is absolutely correct. It did give them the championship. And Boston has done the job of putting it together. Got to get all Scots, but no, he gave it to him.
Speaker 3: So that's that. Moving on.
Speaker 1: Through this game, and I think, you know, this will be the first sweep, This will be the first sweep since the Workers twenty eighteen. Wow, yeah, I mean these sweeps don't happen often in the finals. Uh So I want you all to know the stuff that I deal with during this podcast all the time. And I always tell you guys about how Jackson is a Celtics fan and like they'll win a championship and he'll be like, ah, we won a championship, as if I really care, we beat them don't matter to me. But like the things that he put on these rundowns, like I wish I could see him Sometimes it says, if the Celtics sweep the Mavericks, where does their season land in terms of the best season of all time?
Speaker 3: The best of all time?
Speaker 1: Not necessarily the best team of all time, but the best season of all time? And it's just like, what like if that actually isn't the like Jackson, I'm sorry, but this is the type of like stuff that be popping up on like first take. It's like something like this is the best season. Of course, this is not the best season of all time.
Speaker 3: Of course it's not. Of course it's not.
Speaker 4: It's probably what I've been saying of the twenty the twenty first century it's probably like up the twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's just got more first taken, she said, the twenty first century.
Speaker 3: This is crazy. Wow. I mean.
Speaker 1: Fourteen game lead over second place in the East is what he got. Like the East sucks, we know that, Like who cares? Like seven game lead over number one in the West, Like the West is competitive?
Speaker 3: Like stop it.
Speaker 1: By the way, Jackson, I feel like the Warriors teams of oh we we we won one of those seasons by quite a few games. The only problem that we had, though, is like the San Antonio Spurs is always one game. So even when we create like these crazy seasons, you always just had the Spurs floating around at sixty two.
Speaker 3: Wins or something like that, real casual sixty sixty two wins on a down year.
Speaker 1: And so, needless to say, no, Jackson, I don't know why this is on the rundown. And then he got the nerves to put in there. Currently fifteen and twelve two in the postseason, Warriors in twenty seventeen wins, sixty seven and fifteen the regular season and sixteen and one in the postseason. All right, well, I guess that already makes us better than them. Hans Jackson, because we went since sixty sixty seven and fifteen in the regular season in the West, that's real, and sixteen to one in the postseason one loss, so you know against the great Lebron James didn't want to get swept. So yeah, Jackson, you asked, I don't know why this made the rundown. This is crazy. This is the stuff I have to deal with. You guys, fucking Celtics fan. Gotta be kidding me. Anyway, Moving on because my heart is hurting. Rest in peace to great Jerry West, passed away today at the age of eighty six. Worked in the NBA, has been in the NBA played an NBA coach executive since nineteen sixty which.
Speaker 3: Is thirty years prior to me being born.
Speaker 1: One time NBA champion as a player, eight time NBA champion as an executive. Nineteen sixty nine Finals MVP the only MVP of a series that they that the losing team. The MVP came from the losing team in the series, which you know you this man had to be cooking. Ten time All NBA First Team, fourteen time All Star famously said he would quit his job as a consultant for the Warriors if they traded Clay for Kevin Love. I mean, I can definitely believe that because logo is intense. But I must say I don't remember that being said, but like logo is as logo like, so I can believe that one of the most clutch players ever was a pioneer of the sport. And I had the opportunity to know him personally, uh, And he was such an incredible person, incredible man. And I think you know what I appreciated about the most. It's like you get in the truth whether you like it or not, Like you get in the truth. And he always, like I think, you know, he was a big supporter of me, and I've always been appreciative of that. And yet he was also extremely critical of me, and he'd voice that support to others, and he'd be critical of me to others, and he voiced that support to me, and he'd be critical of me.
Speaker 3: To me, And I always appreciated it because.
Speaker 1: A number one to have a conversation with the logo, like, you know, to ever even have that conversation was always special to me, Like that's the guy we grow up like, that's the logo, Like it's self explanatory, like we all see it, like we all know the the badge, like that's the logo like, and so number one just to have a conversation number number two, to be willing to support me, to uh coach me up in a sense, to give me advice, to stand up for me.
Speaker 3: I would always.
Speaker 1: And and to give his love to me. I'll always be appreciative of that. I mean he was, you know, to have him around the organ the Warriors organization the time that we had him, like you could feel his voice, you could always feel his presence, Like his presence in that organization was huge. You know, his his tutelage, like anytime you can have one of the best ever around, like the things that you just pick up, the knowledge that you pick up, the way that his voice carried. I think it was a huge help to everybody, Like it was. It was one of the reasons that we had the success that we had. Obviously, you know Bob being as great as Bob was, and you know, our ownership, like, but having Logo around was huge because you just you get all that expertise and from evaluating talent from a draft possible excuse me, from a draft perspective, free agent perspective, building a team perspective like to to just have that type of knowledge around it was huge, and you know, to have his demeanor around like he took no shit from anybody, and he tell you in a heartbeat, like, oh, y'all, y'allesome, y'all, someome idiots like you guys don't know okay, and he just keeps saying okay, and like someone that holds you responsible the way he did. Ah, Like you can't replace those people in your life. Like those people, they're invaluable. And so I am extremely appreciative of my relationship with Logo, the times we've shared, sharing one of your sons with me. Johnny, who was a great, great, great friend of mine. Uh. You know, me and Johnny have been with the Warriors for about the same amount of time. We've grown up in our professional lives in that organization together.
Speaker 3: And I know, hey, how much Johnny hurts and Ryan it's Karen. Uh send my love to them as.
Speaker 1: I know them extremely well personally, and then obviously uh to the other fellas. I send my love to all of them, Uh, but Johnny in particular, because like I said, we've been through uh, some incredibly incredibly high ups together and some incredibly low lows together. And you know, throughout all of that, the relationship, I won't say it's never wavered because it has. It's wavered one way, and that's to continue to grow no matter what the situation was. To have someone like Johnny in an organization like like these organizations, these are this is some of the top businesses in the world, like these organizations can be tricky to navigate. And to have someone like Johnny who's understood it from childhood and growing up in it as a friend to help you understand it and you know, to always keep a professional and not like I have a job to do, but there are some things that I can help you navigate just as a friend because I've seen X, Y and Z for so long and you know, I had the opportunity to play arguably the best organization in the NBA. So it's not anything to navigate from the standpoint of like, oh, you're navigating your way.
Speaker 3: Through bullshit, because that's not the organization and I've been in. But how to grow.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: How to grow and remain true to yourself. You know.
Speaker 1: How to navigate certain conversations with certain people that you may need to have a conversation with how to approach different things, Like has always been one of those people that I could turn to and speak to and because of his expertise, although right around the same age, because of his expertise, because of his experience around it can give you a great answer from front Offics executive's perspective through the lens of a friend. It's just been incredible to me. And to see him go, like I know how close that bond was and to see Johnny go through what he's going through, it breaks my heart because Logo was the best. Like if you ever had an opportunity to interact with like he left you with something like when you finished in your interaction, you left with something more than you came with. And uh, not every day do you meet special people like that. So this has been a rough, rough few weeks in the NBA, losing uh some of our legends. You know, there's there's kind of always been like this, not always, but like at times, you know, you could feel like, man, some of the older guys don't support us the way like we would want them to support us like that you would hope they support us. Uh, you can sometimes feel like that, and it never felt that way with the logo. Like I said, he'd be extremely critical of you, but it came from a place that like want you to do better.
Speaker 3: It came from a place of Karen. And so just to have that.
Speaker 1: That those experiences with him, that I was able to have honored and I cherished him because I left with something better then I arrived with. And you know, to Johnny h Ryan Ms Karen, like I said, who I know extremely well personally, like I sent my love, it's a tough day. And you know, I think something that a lot of us don't think about when these things happen.
Speaker 3: Is like.
Speaker 1: There's one side of like seeing the outpour of love and support and feeling that and being thankful for that. There's another side of that of like it's in your face every day and like having to live and hold on to that every day, even in moments where your day may move forward and you're not thinking about it, Like you can quickly be reminded of it because it's all over social media, because you ride around and you see a mural and so as much as you appreciate that, I'll support the outpour of love. It can very much so be a burden, and you know it obviously is a gift and the curse that comes with the territory. But I just send my love to them because they'll continue to have to live that. And I'll continue to send my love and my well wishes to the family, but for everybody else out there, like, continue to send your love in a.
Speaker 3: Time of need.
Speaker 1: And I don't just mean that obviously to Logo's family, and you know, in a sense like when you got people that go through stuff, like you know, we tend to.
Speaker 3: Show our love and then forget and move on with our lives, and like they keep on going through that. So continue to sing your love.
Speaker 1: I'll continue to send my love RP to the right Jerry West the logo M man, He'll be missed and I'll definitely miss So that's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you tuning in this episode.
Speaker 1: We will have another episode of Champs Only on Friday with de Fish Derek Fisher, so make sure you subscribe. I think that will be our last Champs Only episode of this year until next time. That's a rap piece
Speaker 3: The volume