Speaker 1: Carl Lone. She's a queen and talking song.
Speaker 2: She's getting not afraid to favorite episode, so.
Speaker 1: Just let it flow. No one can do we quiet car lond is sound for Carol. I am so excited to be back with Alisa vander Him. Y'all heard her episode on Monday. We talked all about the magic of rolling up the Welcome Matt, which she co produces Kelsey Fellerini and co wrote with her, and just how she got into songwriting, the wave and ride of the magic of songwriting, and your story is incredible. It's so fun to talk to you. But now we have a bonus episode.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: We're going to answer some burning questions. So are you ready? I'm sorry, I'm sor ready, Cale.
Speaker 3: I was wondering as a songwriter, you obviously work with a lot of other songwriters and co writes and things. Do you ever feel like someone has taken an idea that you had and kind of jacked it and then written a song that began as your idea in the room together.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: That's a great.
Speaker 4: Honestly, that's a concern I had all the time, Like when I came.
Speaker 1: Up really scared to share.
Speaker 4: Yeah, scared to share, like wondering if someone would steal my ideas. I don't really experience that.
Speaker 1: You do you feel like anyone ever saw your ideas?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: So are you scared to share? Now? No, you're not. I'm always like, yeah, when people like put little clips on like TikTok or Instagram of a song they've just written, Like what if someone hears that and then they just go write a song really fast too with that.
Speaker 2: Whole thing, but like, what are the chances is going to be a hit?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And you know yours?
Speaker 2: Well what I mean, Well, I'm just saying sorry, I don't know.
Speaker 4: People are pretty like respectful in town, you think, I think, but like I guess you ever know?
Speaker 1: But yeah, so you don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: I don't really worry about But I'm also like not on social media like exposing my ideas a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, do you have? Do you keep them close to your vest until they're ready to come out? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But also like a lot of my ideas start as like tracks or like vibes instead of like concepts sometimes, so.
Speaker 1: You are such a vibe Cen.
Speaker 2: They've been calling me the groove messuse lately.
Speaker 1: The groove messus. That's the best thing. Can you please get a little hashtag or like get a little tidal You should put that on your Instagram, the.
Speaker 2: Producer tag, like at the beginning of your song, groovesuit.
Speaker 1: The groove messuits like I'm bringing the grooves? What is that voice sound trying to be cool? I'm so not cool? Like you're so cool. I feel like you and Kelsey are so cool. Like y'all's whole group is so cool. Y'all just talk cool, you are cool, you dress cool. I don't know you just like some people just know how to be cool. Like you're just cool. You're just happy, just happy. Here's haavy. You're happy to be here, happy to be here to the group mesuse. Okay, so you're not real worried about people infringing on ideas, don't.
Speaker 4: I personally, But that was a concern I had all the time starting out.
Speaker 1: So I do have you kind of just like go of all your anxiety now like things.
Speaker 4: That's kind of a still re line of like the anxiety from last year.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, eh, everyone listening on the podcast, Alisa was saying how she had some anxiety just from being so deeply vulnerable with rolling up the welcome att like kind of really it was beautiful, but like because of it, yeah.
Speaker 2: It created slightly crippling.
Speaker 1: Grippling, but like once you get through that, maybe it's actually a freedom to be like, well I made it through that. Yeah, I guess I can make it through anything, and I don't have to worry about all the stuff that I worried about.
Speaker 4: And it kind of like bled into other areas of my life too, like even like eating a cheeseburger, like for.
Speaker 2: Too many days in a row.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I don't really care, like I know, I'm like, shouldn't do this, but like I'm.
Speaker 1: Not gonna stress that.
Speaker 2: Power it out, like I'll it'll work it out.
Speaker 1: Would you used to stress out about that.
Speaker 4: Kind of or at least I would just be like so like on my shit and I'm like, I don't actually care, Like I'll be.
Speaker 1: Fine now, you're just gonna flow.
Speaker 4: People love me if I'm five pounds heavy or five pounds later.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. But you're so healthy. I was thinking you were thinking about your body would be upset because your body's so clean up here, because you grew up organic my body's a tough or your body is a temple when grew up with chiropractic parents and organic.
Speaker 4: Essentially, so ironic because when we when I'm like doing in the middle of a record, I've like picked up the habit of like smoking a lot of cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Does it just help you relieve all your energy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it's for my brain. But it's like I do it in phases like when only when I'm like in the studio, like certain times.
Speaker 1: I believe that if you do something with full love in your heart, it's not bad for you.
Speaker 2: I agree. Fully, healthy circods are good for you if you if.
Speaker 1: You're like fully appreciating the cigarette, you're like, this cigarette is calming me down. I mean, I am not promoting smoking and and all the thing Alica is either, but it's like follow your heart in a moment and time when you're using it, just to like be creative, intentional, be intentional. Maybe it's not bad life short Yeah, cheeseburger smoked sig. Yeah, children don't do that. But you know, when you're writing an album. Yeah, Okay, we have another question.
Speaker 2: So obviously this project was very healing and personal for Kelsey. Was there ever any thought about how it would affect her ex.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, there was honestly, like she got a lot in a backlash for like not feeling like she didn't like consider him or something. But like firsthand we were in the studio, she was very adamant about like being intentional with not being overly hurtful.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, so that was a top priority for sure.
Speaker 4: Because she knew she knew it was how it was gonna affect him and like people would feel and everything like that, Like she didn't hate him at all, you know, it was not like a hate thing. It was definitely like there's a really fine line between like telling your truth and then with all honesty and not holding back. But then like that's probably gonna hurt someone. It's probably gonna hurt your ex. We'll probably suck for him to hear.
Speaker 1: That and for it to be out in the whole world.
Speaker 4: Like there's not really a way to like make it perfect so that they don't get hurt and that you fully expose your truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like there's going to be a little bit of an overlap.
Speaker 1: So that's the choice that she had to make and that you made with her to be like we're going to go in as respectfully as.
Speaker 2: Possible, as respectful as possible, absolutely.
Speaker 1: While sharing the full truth of Kelsey's side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think Kelsey was also really like adamant about owning responsibility when she when it was due.
Speaker 2: Too, Like what do you mean like it was a two way street.
Speaker 4: You know, like it wasn't all his fault at times she definitely had you know, parts and things, so like.
Speaker 1: Very mature about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wasn't. She wasn't blaming at all on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just like the shoe doesn't say anymore.
Speaker 2: But there was definitely thought towards that, for sure.
Speaker 1: Because that is a fine line because he's an artist and he's a public figure.
Speaker 2: And absolutely and a sweet guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, just ran its course. Did they ever communicate after both of them released albums about each other or was the album of the music did the talking? I think yeah, they said all I need to say.
Speaker 2: So hopefully one day.
Speaker 4: They'll be able to like have a little combo, But I for now, I think yeah.
Speaker 1: They got all they needed from each other's songs about it. Yeah, because he wrote some songs too, Yeah, for sure, I feel like Captain Morgan has something to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just was thinking. Obviously, Kelsey's a super public figure. She is the artist, so she has to think through that lens. When she's putting out the music, everyone's going to know who it's about. Whereas you're in like a songwriter, are you just put bearing it all out there about your exes and things, knowing that you're not going to be the face of that song, Like when I'm just writing in general. Yeah, when you're writing songs to with other.
Speaker 4: Usually like my love life is just like inspiration. I'm not like writing directly directly about people. But yeah, I would say I can. I can can take a back seat, like I can just like say whatever I want.
Speaker 5: So you don't have exos reaching out being like I saw that Blake Shelton Cup.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you said that when we drove in the car and I was writing Shotgun and you did this and that in the middle that was me and you said it in the songs.
Speaker 2: Well, thankfully I have other writers.
Speaker 1: I can take the fall, so you kind of get to hide out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, uh huh.
Speaker 1: Except for with the Kelsey when it was a little more exposed because it's just you two. But I mean it was her divorce album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still and I was cove.
Speaker 1: You're right there. I mean you're like, what do they say, you're what is their song? If you go down, I'm going down with you. I mean you're going, y'all going down. It's it's a team effort here, which is kind of awesome. Yeah, I love it so much. Thank you so much for joining. Thank you for giving us a behind the scenes of what it's like to be like the producer and co writer and friend and like backboard of an artist who's like writing something deeply personal. Like that's a really intimate, important job that you play. You know, it's a very special role. And I can see why you're the groove messuse because you just ride the groove, you know, you just keep the vibe right, just keep the flow. I see you groove of dudes. Like maybe a tattoo maybe on your like Instagram handle, you know. Like, I'm just saying, thank you so much for joining. I have such a great time going to Charleston. Yeah, going Charleston and writing some more sunshine, a little beach some more some more magical songs coming our way. Okay, anything, where can people find you? Anything? We need to know, give us any details.
Speaker 2: I'm on Instagram. My handle is like my name Alisa Vanderheim.
Speaker 1: Which is not confusing at all. It's not like a little bit and it can be said another way. Yeah, Alisa Vanderheim said, Yeah, that's about it. We'll tag you in the show notes. Okay, thank you so much for joining