Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in.
Speaker 3: The air everywhere, settle in, buckle up. It is the Fifth Hour with me, Ben Mahler and my guy Danny G Radio. As it is on like Donkey Kong. Later this afternoon, we will have football Action, double barrel action, the number one seed in the AFC, the Baltimore Ravens and the Texans. That's the early game today four thirty Eastern where we do this podcast from Danny G Radio as the Ravens. Will we get playoff lamar or will we get regular season lamar for Baltimore Today Acquiring minds.
Speaker 1: We'd like to know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you and I both chose correctly last week rooting on CJ.
Speaker 5: Stroud. Then he do it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well they're big underdogs tech the Texans. They're on the road outdoors, but that seems like too many points to me. Just saw the TV show which is still airing Benny Versus the Penny.
Speaker 1: I explained my.
Speaker 3: Consternation with the Ravens and that big a points spread and all that. The Texans have been playing pretty well. Their defense is not that great. They've had a lot of injuries on the defensive side, but I tend to lean towards that side anyway, the Texans overall because of the points spread. And then the late game at eight fifteen Eastern five to fifteen local time in the Bay, brock perty and the number one seed, the forty nine Ers in the NFC will take on.
Speaker 1: The Cheeseheads, the cheese Curds.
Speaker 3: The Packers in the primetime game on a Saturday night tonight. So those are the two games on tap today. Packers a big underdog in that game, the Niners arrested. They've got a healthy squad going to that game. Brock Purty, as I said on the TV show, Danny, he's still for me on Double Secret Probation. I'm still not quite all in on that. But on this podcast we have Oscar the Grouch and mister Snufflove. I guess would be proud Mango saw us and unlocking the secret code. There's some other things we may or may not get to depending on on the time, but this being the Saturday Podcast, an opportunity for myself and for Danny to give you inside skinny behind the microphones, never before told stories. You think of the exciting lives, radio personalities, live podcast stars wrong just on the pulse of pop culture and society unless we're not so. As we mentioned in the Friday podcast, if you were listening to yesterday's podcast, we talked about my trip last weekend to Lost Wages, Nevada. It was a celebration or our colleague Rob Parker, who threw himself a massive birthday party. I'd put some photos up on my Facebook page, on Instagram, Ben Mahler on Fox and all that Ben Maller show on the different pages, but you can check that out. It's a massive haul. A couple hundred people were there, big names, whatnot. It was a fun event and so now I can give you some other details around around what happened here. So we drove to Cincindia, as I mentioned on the Friday pod, in the afternoon, but before even checking into the hotel, me and the y I've made a tactical decision. She likes to go shopping, browsing, antiquing, I believe would be the term. And so we didn't go to some bougie store that sells diamonds or fur coats.
Speaker 1: On the Vegas Strip. Didn't do that.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm frugal, but we visited I think it's called like Antique Alley or something like that. It's close to downtown Vegas, not that far away from the Fremont Street experience, that amazing hotel, the Circa Hotel and casino, which is right right in that area. And so we tell we'll go see what they have in these these little antique shops and whatnot. And it's like a box of chocolates and those things. You never know what you're gonna find, and you find some really cool stuff. The great thing about Vegas when you go to those stores, like the thrift stores antique stores in Vegas, is they have a lot of old Vegas stuff, memorabilia, nick knacks, stuff from the casinos, the glory days of Vegas before before they started taking advantage of the people that go to Vegas when the back when the mob ran Vegas, Danny, back when Vegas.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, these are some of the interior design items that mobsters had inside their apartments, condos, homes and hotel suites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is when they would give you a prime rib dinner for three dollars and ninety nine cents, and they knew you would give them all the other money in your pocket at the slot machines and the tables and all that stuff. And there were no ridiculous resort fees back then.
Speaker 1: And all.
Speaker 3: So, anyway, did we buy anything? Yes, was it Las Vegas theme? Was it an old slot machine? Or was it like a jacket from Bally's back in the No, No, we bought something where if you could go back in the hot tub time machine childhood. Benny would tell you that his his friends Oscar the Grouch and mister Snufflegophagus would be very proud. Why we bought Danny a muppet?
Speaker 1: Not a puppet. We bought a muppet. What's in the box?
Speaker 3: And I'm not talking about like some kind of fake muppet, like, we bought a real muppet.
Speaker 1: You said, snuffle up Agus, Yeah, mister Snufflepus.
Speaker 5: Was it a big puppet or a.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, this is a little baby one.
Speaker 3: But but still, I mean, mister Snuffalupagus was friends with regular sized muppets, you know he was.
Speaker 1: He wasn't in the show very much.
Speaker 3: I was always like, it's like always Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch and Cookie.
Speaker 5: You're right, it was an exciting moment when he would appear on screen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was special, like a rock star. I had a theory on that when I got older and I looked back that it must have been such a pain in the ass for the people on Sesame Street to do a scene with Snuffalophagus because there had to be like three people in that outfit.
Speaker 4: Ah, when Spidey would come on the Electric Company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they had to like it was such a panastic probably right, we can only do this like once every ten episodes or something like that or whatever it was. Anyway, so we bought a muppet and it's like the real deal, And how many people can say they.
Speaker 1: Own a muppet?
Speaker 4: Did you bring this to Rob's birthday party? Get up on stage and perform?
Speaker 1: I considered it, but I decided better than that.
Speaker 3: My wife actually wanted it because she said it looked like her grandfather.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's good or not.
Speaker 3: She said it kind of reminded her of her grandfather who passed away a couple years ago. So we are the proud muppet parents, doting parents of a muppet. Now, probably post a video if I remember this afternoon, so you can see what I'm talking about. Danny, hand to God, this is not some shitty muppet. This is like the real deal. This is you could see this on teleh.
Speaker 4: I think you are ready to do your food review on YouTube, because anybody who's anybody on YouTube ben they have a muppet on their show. For instance, Miss Rachel, who talks to every toddler, infant, preschooler across our country with sixty five million views on each video. She has a couple of muppets with her on the show. And just a few days ago, as I was watching this with baby CoA, I wondered to myself, where did she get those muppets? She's just like a regular teacher lady. Where did she get the damn muppets from?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I had never thought of even owning a muppet. Why would I I'm a middle aged man, Why would I need a muppet? But when a muppet falls into your life, Danny, you have to take advantage of the opportunity. It's not every day that you come across a muppet. And it was serendipitous that we happened to walk into the right store at the right time and they just they had a muppet and it was calling our name and said I want to be your muppet. And we said, okay, we'll let you be our muppet.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: That was expensive.
Speaker 1: Uh, it was not for the quality of it. It wasn't. I mean it's not.
Speaker 3: It wasn't extravagant, but it'd probably been sitting around for a while, so you know, it was it was. It was reasonable, but it was so unique. You know, you need things like that. They're they're good conversation starters. Like next time you come over to the Malor.
Speaker 1: Mansion, Danny, you'll know the story.
Speaker 3: But people that show up that don't know the story, don't listen to the podcast, will be like, what do you have?
Speaker 1: What is that? Why do you have that there?
Speaker 4: So instead of replacing Baby Bella with a new puppy, you guys replaced her with a muppet for now.
Speaker 1: But we are we are efforting.
Speaker 3: In fact, I hope to have an announcement maybe on next week's podcast, that we are closing in on the replacement. I don't know, I say replacement. You can't replace Bella.
Speaker 5: I mean that's Bella.
Speaker 1: But the next the next chapter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's like Beyonce, She's irreplaceable.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly. She's hopeful and Doggie Heaven enjoying some mango sauce.
Speaker 1: Right, nudferf heff.
Speaker 5: It's the new side hustle.
Speaker 4: My wife and I we have all these baby items and any parent knows, you know, they grow out of the item. So we've sold some of his you stuff on offer up, and we've also been looking ourselves at offer up for items that are like two hundred dollars but people are selling for.
Speaker 5: Like fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: Okay, my girl shoots me a text when I was at work during Covino and Rich, I get a random picture of what was called a hip hop bouncer. It's a offer up link, and she's like, yeah, you know, it's in Glendale, but it's in good condition.
Speaker 5: I messaged the lady through the app. She gets right back.
Speaker 4: To me and she's like, yeah, you can get it, and I said great, I'm in Sherman Oaks. Now good offer up clients, bend or sellers, they will meet you halfway. This lady was difficult. I was like, Hey, I'm in Sherman Oaks. Can you meet me, you know, in North Hollywood or something like that halfway for both of us. She didn't even reply to that. She just wrote back, you can pick up in Glendale.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, So this lady's not fun to work with.
Speaker 3: I can tell yeah, Glendale not that far away from Sherman Oaks, but with LA traffic about ten hours.
Speaker 5: Dude. I'm glad you bring that up.
Speaker 4: Because I type heer address into my ways app it says she's nine miles away. How long do you think it was to drive those nine miles at six thirty pm.
Speaker 3: Oh, you can't go anywhere in LA for less than thirty minutes, but I'll go forty minutes on that.
Speaker 5: It took fifty eight minutes to get.
Speaker 1: There, one hour to go nine miles.
Speaker 5: One hour to go nine miles.
Speaker 1: So and then you had to go.
Speaker 3: Back though that's the other day and there's traffic still probably effed up because you're probably only there for a few minutes, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And as I'm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. By the way, She's messaging me saying, what time are you going to be here exactly? Oh boy, And I'm like, I don't know. I'm not lord God of traffic. I don't know what time. The ways app keeps changing. I don't know. I also needed to stop at the ATM to get some cash out for this item. Okay, so I find a stupid Bank of America, I get the cash, I get back into bumper to bumper traffic.
Speaker 5: I finally get to Glendale.
Speaker 4: It's been a shitty hour of all these cars and traffic lights and yeah, I finally get to the address. I'm standing in front of what looked like a haunted apartment complex and this lady's not coming out, and I'm messaging her like, hey, I'm here nothing for like seven minutes. My emergency lights are on, I'm illegally part Finally she messages, I'm coming.
Speaker 5: Let's get on with the show. Now.
Speaker 3: Are you thinking at this point she wasn't going to show up until she messaged you? You're like, did I just drive all this way and she ghosting me?
Speaker 1: She's ghosting me? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I thought that for a second.
Speaker 4: I was like, I swear to God if I get ghosted on this, after all the trouble it took to get here.
Speaker 5: Finally I figure it out.
Speaker 4: She's across the street and it's this Russian lady with a thick accent, racist, and she's got the hip hop bouncer sitting at her feet. Seemed pleasant enough, but she also kind of had a like a resting bitch face, and so that's just a Russian thing, you know.
Speaker 3: Racist.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at this bouncer and it doesn't look as good as it looked in the ad. I had to stop at the ATM. I had to stop to get gas. By the way, there was this whole big production. And now I'm looking at this thing, and I'm like, this thing's not worth fifty bucks. You know, we should have offered her forty if the pictures had been accurate. Yeah, and Ben, this smell is radiating off of this hip hop bouncer. It smelled like a mixture of mangoes and cleaner.
Speaker 1: Who oh boy.
Speaker 4: She could see the puzzled look on my face, and she said, my daughter ate mangoes in it today, but do not worry.
Speaker 5: I cleaned it. I cleaned it, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Thinking to myself, if you have this thing up for sale and you know I'm coming already, now it's the evening. You knew I was coming to buy this thing. Why would you have your daughter sitting in this thing you're selling eating mangoes. Damn it, I'm here already, So I give her the cash. I carry a stupid thing across the street. I'm trying to get it in the trunk. The trunk's not deep enough. I put my passenger seat all the way back. I could barely get it in the passenger side. But now I'm sitting next to this thing that just reeks of lysol and mangoes.
Speaker 5: You get away from me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, Danny, though, the moral of the story, if you had gone five minutes away you when you told the person to go pound sand I don't need this right, but because you had to drive an hour, you're like, I kind of have to get it.
Speaker 1: Is Is that what that sounds like? What you're saying to me?
Speaker 4: Told my better half, I said, well, once you disinfect it and the little seat thing comes off of it, I guess you could put it in the washer. I said, once you wash that and you disinfect this thing, and he's having fun sitting in it and bouncing. Hopefully we'll be able to laugh about this someday, but right now I'm pissed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're exactly right.
Speaker 4: And I feel like it's a tactic by certain sellers pictures that are not accurate, and then they want you to come to them. They won't meet you because they know if they do part of the work they drove for nothing.
Speaker 3: It reminds me a bit of human nature. And I talked about this the other day. With those restaurants where they have like endless French fries or endless shrimp or pastah. They they know that people hate asking for things and say, you know, being denied. So like if you go to a restaurant that has endless pasta and you ask for a second plate to pasta, they give you a smaller plate to pasta, but they give you more pasta, and you do it a second time and.
Speaker 1: They give you a smaller plate to pasta.
Speaker 3: But most of the time people don't ask more than a couple times because they feel guilty.
Speaker 5: And I feel like they're trained.
Speaker 4: They train the staff to look perturbed whenever you ask for a refill or for another plate. The waiting staff always looks like you're inconveniencing them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. But it's a human nature thing.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, you, you, you're a good soul. You're like, I spent an hour of my time. You're probably doing the cost benefit analysis? How much do I get paid an hour? What could I have done with that hour? That's the most valuable commodity I have is time. I gave an hour of my time to sit in traffic for this stupid piece of shit.
Speaker 1: And then you know, and you're.
Speaker 3: Doing that whole thing, so you're like and then you're like, well the woman. I told the woman I would give her the money on us.
Speaker 1: So so you ended up doing it. Yeah, there you go. And you got mango too, a nice mango smell for you.
Speaker 4: And I don't ever want to smell liceol ever again. Either, Good Fire, get out.
Speaker 3: A life hack I would like to share with the class. If you are a regular listener to the radio show and this podcast, you know that while I enjoy Las Vegas, I have a love hate relationship with Lost Wages Nevada. It is simply not the town that I remember. We talked about this a few minutes ago, was I'm about the Muppet and how Vegas used to be when the mob ran it, And now the town's not run by the mob. It's run by a bunch of pickpockets that pull your credit card out at every expense. Parking that blows me away, the parking fees that just still insanity to me. Uh, and just every little nickel and dime thing. But another thing that I've griped about over the years is the dining experience in Vegas. There are absolutely amazing, mouth watering restaurants from all over the world. The top chefs in the world either go to Vegas or have their restaurants placed in Vegas, and they're almost all on the Las Vegas Strip. It is an amazing place if you are a foodie. But all of those little eateries, all of those restaurants have one thing in common. They've all followed the mantra, how can we price gouge the customer the most right? How can overpriced food drinks?
Speaker 1: All of that?
Speaker 3: And so, after years of getting my wallet ripped open general disappointment with the overpriced nature of the food in Vegas, this past weekend I had an epiphany. Dan finally discovered after all these years, a workaround, and I would like to share it with the class. If you're planning on going to Vegas upcoming the super Bowl is a few weeks away, I'm sure you'll be there Danny for that. If you're planning on going to Vegas, either you're in the area or you're flying into Vegas from somewhere else, I'm gonna give you a life act.
Speaker 1: It'll change your life.
Speaker 3: We were unable, me and the wife were unable. We were able, rather not, we were able to unlock the secret code for eating in Vegas. And the key to eating in Vegas is to not eat in Vegas. The key to eating in Vegas is to make the drive over to Henderson. That's the next town over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, I know, I know Henderson.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, uh and Henderson. I had not been to Henderson. I don't remember being in Henderson, but.
Speaker 1: It reminded me.
Speaker 3: For those that are in LA or have been to LA, kind of reminded me of a mix between the San Gabriel Valley covena Glendora, a zou'za.
Speaker 1: Mix with a little bit of the OC.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what It reminded me of if you're not familiar, you have no idea. I'm speaking like Chinese, but that's what it reminded me of. And now, if I I lived in Vegas, which based on the taxation without representation in California, I might consider, but I would live in Henderson. I would actually live in hes because it's away from the hustle and bustle the strip, but it's still close enough to be right near the action. So get to the point place, all right, Malar of Food Review. I had not one, not to but three amazing, amazing culinary experiences that I would like to pass on. Danny, you're gonna be in Vegas. I don't know if youre gonna be able to travel around, if you're gonna have a car or not. But our first stop, we even stopped here before we got to our hotel. Also and before we bought the muppet that would be twisted sour dough pizza in Henderson, Nevada. And I cannot recommend this place enough. Wowsps just great, just great that they sell This is a place that sells matsa rellisticks that are the size and I don't want to exaggerate here the size of my forearm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw the picture of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got these pizza cones that are like ice cream cones, but they're pizza crust filled with tomato sauce and the toppings and the cheese and all that. Oh my god, I didn't even know they had those. Amazing, amazing. We had the sourdough pizza, which was off the chart. It was a fat guy's dream this place. So if you're in Vegas and you have an opportunity to travel over to Henderson, twisted sourdough pizza in Henderson just amazing. Later on on that weekend in Vegas, we also aided a place in Henderson called Flaming Fajitas, Solid Mexican Food. The key to this place, there's a line. We had to wait an hour to get.
Speaker 1: Into this place. But it's cool because you can book a.
Speaker 3: Table online and then you're in the queue and they tell you when you need to be there to get your table. So we waited an hour, but a lot of it was in the car drive me there, so it wasn't that bad. And then they bring out these this big part of your food with the fijidas and before they serve it to you, Danny.
Speaker 1: They put on a show. They light a flame.
Speaker 3: And when I say they light a flame on the vedas, this thing goes like five feet up in the air.
Speaker 1: It's like almost hitting the ceiling and it's there.
Speaker 3: They're big, they're called flaming fidas, and so they make sure that this flame goes all the way to the roof. It's crazy and you think the whole place is going to burn up when you see this. But it was delicious. The only one complaint I had with that place is the basket of chips we got was a little Chewi. Don't like my chips Chewi, So that was kind of annoying, but that was probably just an outlier. Everything else was wonderful, So that was good. And then the last stop, also in Henderson, Sweet Rays Barbecue.
Speaker 1: It's not Sweet Baby Raise, They's just Sweet Rays.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, I see what they I see what they did there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is I'm telling you, Dan, you and Covino, Richie, you guys gotta go to this place.
Speaker 1: It's I'm not exaggering here.
Speaker 3: It's the greatest barbecue that I've had since I ate the authentic Kansas City barbecue years ago. Wow, that good. Nine point five out of ten. Would have been even higher if the portions had been a little bit bigger. But I had a brisket sandwich, brisket fries that was great. Just if you're a fan of barbecue and you're in the Vegas area. Sweet Raised barbecue, And I wish they'd pay me. They don't, but I loved it.
Speaker 1: And then I.
Speaker 3: Also ate it that I don't think it's a Vegas place, but I've never seen it in La. Have you ever seen pink pink box donuts in La?
Speaker 5: Oh? You know where I saw that?
Speaker 2: Ben?
Speaker 4: I saw someone bringing it onto a box of them onto an airplane at the Vegas Airport.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, sure, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: We tried a sampling of like six donuts. We had a banana cream donut, which I didn't know was a thing, a banana crea. I had a Homer Simpson pink glazed donut and like an apple pie donut. Weird, we're things, but it's hard to mess up a donut. And I had had a donut in a while, so I was like, oh, I need a donut. And I got a donut and I was happy to be happy to be eating.
Speaker 1: The donut. I was very very pleased with that.
Speaker 3: We have one more thing. I wanted to get to Danny before we get out of here. The word of the week. Are you ready for the word of we not the This is not the phrase of the week that was yesterday.
Speaker 1: This is the word of the week.
Speaker 5: Word of the week.
Speaker 1: Word of the week is boone doggle. Boon doggle is the word of the week. So boot doggle?
Speaker 5: You love you love saying this word?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do. I love this word.
Speaker 3: So boot doggle means something useless, a waste of time, waste of money.
Speaker 1: It's a boone doggle. What a fun word to say.
Speaker 3: Often it's used in reference to some frivolous spending by the government where they just flush your money away, and so the use widespread.
Speaker 1: This is interesting to me. The word's not that old. It originated.
Speaker 3: It was first discovered, according to those that track this kind of crap, in Rochester, New York, the flower city of Rochester, New York, by the Boy Scouts, and it.
Speaker 1: Referred to the ring used to keep.
Speaker 3: The Scouts neckerchief not handkerchief, neckerchief in place. You know a thing that wraps around their neck and that little they call that the boone dog. But that's not they think, well, that didn't really, that's not what really began. It had to begin somewhere else. So they were trying to find something similar, and they said there was something in Britain.
Speaker 1: There was a term.
Speaker 3: Also for a Scouts neckerchief as well, but the first time that it was regularly seen and used, according to the word historians, the word boondoggle from nineteen twenty seven, so ninety seven years ago, and it was related to the aforementioned Boy Scouts in Rochester, New York. And over the years, boone doggle has evolved to mean, as we said, hopeless, useless, waste of.
Speaker 1: Time, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: And it was first used in a newspaper in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle in July of nineteen twenty seven, and it was used in a story that was written about the Boy Scouts and a group of Boy Scouts that were tricked into a job of taking down tents after a local meeting and that proved too much for a couple of the people that were part of that, and it was called a boone doggle. So the word of the week, which we can thank the boy Scout Scouts from Rochester, New York for using and spreading around the country is boone doggle. We'll get out on that. The playoffs today, playoffs. I'll be sitting on my took us watching those two games. And what do you have going on today, Danny? What do you got going on?
Speaker 4: I got just playoff game and then another playoff game. Oh, in between the two games. Well, I'll sit close enough to see the TV at the bar. But we're going to go have a date day, me and my girl at cheesecake factory. Now what's your go to at the cheesecake Oh? Man, A couple of different things there. I like their chicken pacada solid. Yeah, and then there the chicken madeira.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. Have you had the chicken bolagio?
Speaker 3: It's not bad. No, chicken belagi is pretty good. The Cajun chicken little is not bad. But the problem with that.
Speaker 1: Is is, you know, it's pretty expensive.
Speaker 5: We always get the lettuce wraps to start.
Speaker 1: Very healthy of you get the lettuce wraps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been eating healthy for three months now.
Speaker 1: Proud of you. You're not getting the fried the fried was at the mac and cheese balls. You're not going.
Speaker 4: No. The only thing we cheat on there is we help our ourselves to the bread that they serve. But other than that we do a salad lettuce wraps, and then we will split either the chicken pecado or the Madeira.
Speaker 3: Enjoyed Cheesecake Factory, fine restaurant. Have been there in a while. Have a wonderful rest of your day. We'll have another glorious pod the.
Speaker 1: Mail bag pod, mail bag, bail bag, belt bag. I'll be on Sunday.
Speaker 5: We will catch you then later. Skater by Fallacious