Speaker 1: Hello everybody, it's Lyle. Welcome to the Therapy Gecko podcast. Just really quick before we get into the episode, want to remind everybody the tickets are currently on sale right now at Therapy Gecko tour dot com for my upcoming tour across America and a few cities in Canada. And we actually just added a show in a couple weeks in Tokyo, Japan. So if you happen to be in Tokyo, Japan on March twenty second, and you want to come to a live show, you can go to therapy geckotour dot com and get tickets to that show. Or if you happen to be in any major city in the US and a few other cities, no offense to those cities. But if you if you're in the US, you're in Canada, you're in Tokyo, please go to Therapy Gecko Tour dot com. I'm doing a bunch of shows. I'm gonna be telling stories, I'm gonna be doing live Gecko therapy for the fourth time around, and I'm very excited about this tour. I'm excited for the material that I've got, I'm excited to engage with the community, and I think you guys should come to the shows. It'll be a good time. Please go to therapy geckotour dot com right now to get tickets, especially if you're in Tokyo. We just added that show. It's in a couple of weeks, and I would love to see some of the Tokyo Gecko listeners out there. Anyway, Thanks for listening. Let's get into the episode. Hello, Hello, what's up?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'll holy shit. How you going?
Speaker 1: How am I going? I'm going good man. You're from Australia, from the accent and thew you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say a couple of months ago, my girlfriend messaged you on Instagram and asked you for a birthday wish, and you sent a really nice message.
Speaker 1: Oh what did I say that?
Speaker 4: Out of breath?
Speaker 3: I'm freaking out. I don't know you said your classic thing. We're like, I hope you guys end up in the Kingdom of Heaven together. I know you don't believe in that Christianity, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Know the Kingdom. I believe vaguely in a version of the Kingdom of Heaven. Wait, this was a couple of months ago.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah in October last year.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, cool, cool.
Speaker 3: You said you were like on the subway or something. I mean, I never thought you'd get a response, and she surprised me with it, which was crazy. I'm going to save but no, it was really cool, dude.
Speaker 1: I'm really I'm not that clouded up anymore. I'm just like on the subway, just like us. Maybe I'm stoned, and I'm like sometimes I'm stoned. Like I look at Instagram, right, sometimes I'm stoned and I'll see like a message and it's like, can you wish me a happy birthday? And I'm just like, why the fuck wouldn't I do? Like, why just do it? Why not? Why am I so? Why am I being so precious about this? Let's just do it? And so I do it?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, you're a real fucking human being, you know, you know, a cryan, not a.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you that. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: There, what's your what's your name? You told me already? Finn again, Finn Finn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, dude, I've been listening for like years. When I when you came to Australia, I think it was like twenty twenty three, Yeah, something like that. Yeah, dude, I had been listening for like a year and a bit and I was so mad. I was like, you came about like just before I turned eighteen, so I couldn't go. So I'm subscribed to all of the all of the notifications. If you ever come back, I'll be first one in line, hopefully cool.
Speaker 1: I could see myself doing another Australia run at some point, we'll see. It was all it's dude, that's that's the toughest. Have you been to the States?
Speaker 3: No, I'm maybe going on New Years. I got some family over there, and I think Texas.
Speaker 1: That's the shittiest. I was up until six o'clock in the morning for like a week after I got back from that. That's definitely the worst jet lag place to go to. But I liked. I liked Australia. Australia is like if you combined, dude, you know what's crazy is Australia. It's like it's like Americans pretty much, but it's like all the fucking way over there. I have no idea how Australia came to be. I mean, I guess it's I mean, I guess similar how to I guess you guys. You guys have kind of a similar history of America right where it's like, you know, a bunch of white people came over and like fucking killed a bunch of people. And now there's Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: The crazy thing about Australia is they literally sent over like mostly convicts, so we just got a bunch of like I think it was England's shitty convicts and then you know we did the classic thing where we you know, destroy millions of years of culture obviously because so white people what we do best. But no, we're a bunch of convicts. But now Australia is like pretty like pretty molly cultural, like I went to high school and yeah, like honestly, it's it's like a lot of like Asian because we're like technically like Australasia, so like a lot of Asian influence pretty much. I mean I grew up in a Greek neighborhood, but like Greek Asian a lot of Islanders because you know we're right, yeah, next to New Zealand and all of that ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, because you guys are really close to like Thailand and Southeast Asia and all that ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean We've got the Pacific Islanders, which is like Fiji, Papua New Guinea right above us, and yeah, Thailand, and we're like, like, honestly, most of most most Australians go to like a Bali in Indonesia.
Speaker 2: For cheap holidays. So if you got there, you got you go to Bali.
Speaker 3: It's in the middle of Indonesia. It's mostly Australians on like holiday and ship, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 1: So, Finn, you texted me and you said, I would like to talk about how my mom owes me forty grand but it's too focused on her new boyfriend to talk to me about it. What does that mean?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, shit.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 3: I've only told my girlfriend and obviously my family about this.
Speaker 2: So basically, a long time.
Speaker 3: Ago, like I would have been about five and I'm nineteen now, my auntie passed away and she left me and my brother a sizable like will whatever. And basically my mom when I was about sixteen, proposed to me and my brother like, look, you know, the rent, rent and housing market over here is just fucked and she was like, look, we probably are going to want to use it for house and you know, me being sixteen, I was like, you know, go for it. You know, I'd rather my mum take that money than you know, not have a house, because I'm a normal human being anyway. Also, lemon off, you're going to blow down. I'm speaking really absoletely.
Speaker 1: Please, you're doing you're doing, You're doing perfectly fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fastwood.
Speaker 3: When I graduated high school, she well, I graduated high school, I turned eighteen. I don't know if it's different in Australia like I know in America. So I'm going off track. In America, you're like twenty one to drink. I don't know if you're eighteen, you're an adult in America. But in Australia, when you're eighteen, you're like an adult. Like you can drink, you can do all that stuff anyway, unimportant. My mom's a teacher and when I turned eighteen, she got a contract to go teach out in rural Australia. Like it's an eleven hour drive from me and it's still in like the same state, which is weird. And yeah, basically her and my little brother, my little brother's sixteen. Shout out to him if he's listening, love you anyway, and it was like, look, she was a single mother a T shirt not you know, that's hard. And I was like, look, if you need to go do that, that's fine. I will take over the mortgage of the current place with a couple of friends, the place that she had used that forty grand to buy. Anyway, I'll cut it short, I know, not trying to take up all your time. But yeah, she went out there. Things going great for her. She's dating this guy met through the apps, as everyone does, and you know, she's a single parent with my brother who's a bit troubled.
Speaker 2: A lot of different ways.
Speaker 3: But basically when she moved away, which was about which was the end of twenty twenty four, for the first six months, I would call her like, you know, most weeks and we'd have like a thirty minute chat when I'm driving home from work. And then she started dating the guy and I try to call her, but every time I've called her, it like goes through the voicemail and then I get angry, and then she tries to call me back, and I'm like, oh, I'm a bit angry.
Speaker 2: I won't pick up.
Speaker 3: And then when she does pick up or I call her back, she's like she'll talk for like five minutes max, and then she's like, oh, I've got to go on this trip.
Speaker 4: Wait.
Speaker 2: Oh no, she's like, oh, I'm busy.
Speaker 3: Or I try to call her and she's like, sorry, away on holiday because this guy's pretty pretty well off and they go on a lot of like weekend trips. And I think it's been a couple of months and I haven't talked to her about it, but I did manage to get through to her one time, and I was like, look, you know about that forty grand.
Speaker 2: You know, I want to have.
Speaker 3: A conversation about it, because it's obviously not no money, like I'm a I'm a university student, paying rent, you know, all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: It's you know, not not easy to do that.
Speaker 3: And I was like, look, if I could have some assistants, that'd be great. I don't want I don't expect forty grand in my bank account the next day because I'm not an idiot, but you know, if we could work something out. And that was about three months ago, and I've gone through to her guess and both times she's like, look, I just need another week. And kind of the reason I wanted to talk to you was just because you know, it's fucking it's the therapy, Get go.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to the therapy.
Speaker 4: Get go.
Speaker 3: But also like it's becoming to a point with me where my relationship with her is causing me a lot of anger. And you know, I'm lucky to have an amazing partner who I can talk to us about talk about this with. But it's like, do I keep calling her and keep getting angry and you know, feeling down about my relationship with my mother? Just so with the hope I can you know, have a good relationship one day and also get this forty grand back? Or is it like it is causing a strain on me where I just need to cut it off or take a step back.
Speaker 2: Or like you know, very very strongly worded email.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm trying to you know, forgive me. If you've explained this, I'm trying to write my head around it. So, your auntie passed away and left you and your sibling.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, me and my little brother.
Speaker 1: You and your brother h forty grand collectively.
Speaker 3: Forty grand each, so is about one hundred grand. But you know we got twenty grand. You know you need a laptop of school and your school bags and your school fees and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So it was so legal, so legally, legally, legally, legally, that forty grand is yours? Like what's the what's the legal standpoint on this? Right? Because if your mom like what what's your mom doing? Is she like is she inte? Is she stealing this money from you? Or is she just like being too busy to give it to you? Or like what's like, what's going on? Is why is she? Why is it? Why? You said you were like, oh, I don't expect it to just appear in my bank account instantly, And I'm like, wait, why she has it, doesn't she? And it's yours?
Speaker 2: Well she is?
Speaker 1: Why why why shouldn't Why should it not appear your bank account instantly?
Speaker 2: Well, it's I don't.
Speaker 3: I definitely don't think she's the type of person to be malicious about it, Like I don't. I don't think she'd like hold it over my head or she would like, you know, it's not a thing of oh I'm holding this over your head or I'm like intentionally, I think it is just a thing where she is like so because she moved away, and you know, it has got a whole new life now, and it's like she's so deeply entrenched in her new life. And I've tried reaching out obviously, all like it was cool. I can't drive up there, but it's.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think she's the type of person. I mean, she's my mom, she's my mom. I'd like to believe that she's not. I mean, maybe she is, but it's like, but the thing is, I think when I was sixteen, she like I signed some type of papers. But the thing is, I think there was an amendment in that that she has to pay me back when I'm over eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Probably, dude, I'm this is crazy. This is crazy. This is like your mom. Okay, so dude, this is crazy. Tell your mom to is your fucking money, tell her to give her tell her that you she's got to give you that money or else you have to come after her for it, because she can't just keep like dodging you, dude. Like, like I think also also, I think you're having this attitude about it that's very passive because you don't want to stir the pot. But like your mom's being kind of a dick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I mean it comes from a thing where it's like my little brother with her, and you know he he doesn't live with my dad anymore, and it's like I'm I'm also a bit worried, like I don't want to poke the bear because I'm afraid that it's gonna mess with my relationship with him. And then also like at the end of the day, I'm an adult and it's my mom and we have separate lives. But also like I kind of want to like go at it in like a funnel way where I funnel like from the least aggressive way at the start, and then if I don't get feedback, if I don't get anything back, then I move up and I keep moving up. I do I get that money back. I don't want to just go with it, you know, yeah, of course no.
Speaker 1: I get you. You're you don't want to send like lawyers after your mom and shit, like how long have you been asking her for this money? I mean, what you're in nineteen, she should have given it to you, like a year ago.
Speaker 3: I think it would have been about six to eight weeks ago. I know I said a month before, But now that I actually use my fucking brain and have calmed down a bit and then yeah, I've I gave her like three two weeks and I caught her back and she's like, I need another week. And I caught her back like I think last week and I was like, look, what's going on?
Speaker 1: What is going on meeting? I need another week to do what.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The money was talking to her lawyers, but I don't know, like I I mean, I'm like a dumb ass nineteen year old, so I don't know, Like I mean, I guess I could go speak to a lawyer about it.
Speaker 2: I've heard you.
Speaker 3: Give the I fucking speak to a lawyer and I guess, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like well, so like, dude, what's your I'm having trouble understanding your relationship with your mom? Like so you're out on your own and like your mom has her new life with her new boyfriend, but your little brother is there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the they're moved like eleven twelve hours away from me, and you know, I'm back in where I grew up to go to university and you know, with my my girlfriend and all that stuff. And yeah, she's basically moved out there. I think she contract originally for two years, but I think she's going to extend it. So basically I turned eighteen and she took my little brother and moved away for a better paying job and you know, it's cheaper to live in the country and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: What's your you said, You've been talking to your girlfriend about this? What's she say? She probably knows? Does she know your mom?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's met my mom.
Speaker 3: She she kind of I mean, she obviously comforts me for ust because it's a very emotional thing, you know, a relationship with your parents obviously, but she kind of puts it in a thing that she knows my mom and she knows I should like trust it. But it reaches a point like it's my girlfriend does reinforce that it is my money, and at the end of the day, you know, I've got to do what's right for myself because you know, obviously.
Speaker 2: I'm an adult.
Speaker 3: I want to you know, get a nice place and have you know, fucking steak for dinner and whatever. But she's kind of reinforcing like the same thing as you where it's like, look, you need to like stand on business per se and kind of you know, push forward because you can't be pushed around and just like accept it, you know, but I think she mostly comes at a thing from like companying me emotionally because you know, it is pretty can be rough at times.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: No, I understand the roughness of the situation. But also it's like, I don't know, Man, your mom's pissing me off.
Speaker 3: Dide, you gotta fly down to Australia to talk to her, you instead of dude.
Speaker 1: Maybe dude, maybe your mom's pissing me off. Like I don't know, like, why is she being so like in inaccessible.
Speaker 3: She's she's she's also like, oh my god, this isn't even like the thing, the main thing kind of like just add something to the story real quick if you don't mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So she's teacher with a boyfriend and a kid, and she's also doing an online degree to like be a higher level of a teacher. Anyway, I give her my Netflix account password, and every time I call her, she's like, oh, I'm busy with school or your brother or boyfriend or whatever, right, but I shoot you not. At least like two times a week she will message me and say, hey, can you reset the Netflix because you know, you can't like share a Netflix when someone's eleven hours where you have to like reset the location of the household. So she'll like, I'll call her and she'll say she's busy and she's doing stuff. But then twice a week she has the time to like sit around on Netflix. And this will be in the middle of a day when she's a whole day off to do her study, and she'd be like, oh, can you reset the Netflix account. It's like, yeah, you can sit down and watch Netflix, but you can't fucking speak to a lawyer or pick up the phone and call me, which is just the fucking cherry on top that makes.
Speaker 1: Ro bro Bro. What's your name.
Speaker 2: Again, Finn, Finn, Finn, Finn bro Finn.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question, Finn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go go uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, So your mam has owed you this money for at least eight weeks, correct.
Speaker 2: Eight weeks since I've brought it up about.
Speaker 1: Okay, and when was the last time she asked you to reset the Netflix?
Speaker 3: If I put you on speaker, oh, opening the messages up right now, okaym.
Speaker 1: Uh Thursday this week she asked you on Thursday to reset the Netflix. Yeah, what did Finn? Finn, Finn Finn, Yeah, what did you fucking say, what did you did you do it? Did you reset the Netflix?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: I just I think I left it on red. But I might have done it and just forgotten about it, but I didn't respond like, yeah, yeah, fucking.
Speaker 1: I, Finn, tell her to pay you the fucking forty th thousand dollars if she wants you to reset the net. Who pays for the Netflix?
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 1: You pay for the Netflix? Yeah, Finn, Fenn, Finn, Finn, kick your mom off of the Netflix account. Immediately kick your mom off of that Netflix account immediately. Dude, What the fuck If someone knows me forty thousand dollars, I'm not letting them use my Netflix account?
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: The Netflix brother, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: All right, I'll just next time she sends she sends, can you reset the Netflix? Polse it, I'll be like, can you send the forty k that's please.
Speaker 1: Dear God valid? Yes, of course that's valid. Then listen, Finn, honestly, dude, can I be a finance dude? Okay? What you everything you just told me about your mom using your Netflix password and stuff, it's it's it's telling me exactly what kind of like a guy you are and what like your relationship with your mom is like, and you seem, first of all, you're a nice you're a nice boy fan, you're very you're you're a sweet nice boy. But you're you're letting your mom uh for lack of a better uh, truly, for lack of a better phrase, you're letting your mom dick you down a little too hard, you know, kind of letting your mom dick you down a little too hard. Your mom's kind of ugging man, And uh, you can't. You can't let your mom dick you down like this. Dude, You guys stand up financial you you gotta you gotta just call her every day and be like, listen, dude, you gotta send me like you just gotta call her every day and then at a certain point you're gonna be like, all right, I gotta I gotta send the fucking troops in. But she can't be using your Netflix while you're waiting on this. That's crazy. Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what you've given me. You've actually given me the inspiration to take action. I really appreciate you, man, like a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, what are you gonna do tomorrow? Or I don't know what time it is in Australia.
Speaker 3: I'm about to go to sleep, but in between classes and work, I will call her, or I will I mean, I'm probably gonna call her. She's probably not going to pick up, and then probably on Tuesday she'll send me a request of fucking reason the Netflix past it, and then I'll.
Speaker 1: Just go due.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: When she says you're no, call her and be like you got to call her and be like, I'll send you the Eno fix pastor when you send me the forty grand.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'd say that's a pretty fair deal now that I think about it.
Speaker 1: I want an update from you, Finn. I want send me a text, or I might not see the text, but give me another call at some point. I want to I want an update on this. Send me a text. I'll see the text, send me a text. I want to know what. I want to know if you get this forty come back. But I'm glad that this inspired you to take action, because you can't let your mom mug you like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't go on like this.
Speaker 4: Fuck all right?
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go, Finn?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're ever struggling with mental health.
Speaker 3: Everyone would always rather you reach out than do anything, because no matter who you are, no matter where you are, there's always someone who cares about you, and it's always better.
Speaker 2: To reach out and speak to someone.
Speaker 1: You're a nice You're a nice man. You're a sweet boy, Finn. Go get your go, get your forty thirs from your mom. All right, take care of man, all right?
Speaker 4: Go on?
Speaker 1: Thanks for sharing, man, that's insane. Do Yeah, this guy's mom sucks. Unfortunately, that's a bummer. I always feel bad when callers tell me about their parents, and their parents kind of suck. But yeah, man, it's at a certain point. You got to reset the Netflix password.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, Wow, I should call back. This is like my first time calling.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: You have the deepest voice I have ever heard in my entire life. Do you think definitely positively that?
Speaker 4: Yeah. I've never liked the sound of my voice. I feel like I sound high all the time. Those are people always me?
Speaker 1: Really? Uh so why don't why don't you? Why don't you like your own voice? Oh?
Speaker 4: No, I think it's because I have a weird accent as well. Like, uh, I mean I never really grew up in a place I like I'm some uh and uh, my accent is kind of like a mix of everything.
Speaker 1: Mmm, I you're calling.
Speaker 4: Like I'm actually no, go ahead and guess just once.
Speaker 1: All right? Uh, guess where you're from? Because you're calling me from a non US number, So I'm curious where you are right now. Uh, i'd see. I'm gonna guess you're I'm not gonna guess somewhere specific, but I'm gonna guess you're Eastern European.
Speaker 4: Nah. I can give you a hint. It's it's a country that's getting attacked right now.
Speaker 1: Oh are you from Venezuela?
Speaker 4: Nah? Nah nah Dubai. I grew up here. Oh, not really from here. You can't really say that though, because it's kind of weird here because like basically you have like locals like Amarzis are the people that are, like, you know, from from here. Like ethnically, I'm just a kid that grew up here, like you know, since I was like three.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm, where were you born?
Speaker 4: So? I was born in the UK, but my parents moved here when I was a kid. Well, ethnically I'm not British.
Speaker 1: Either, So what do you So you were born in the UK, though ethnically that British raised in Dubai. Where are your parents from?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my parents are Moroccan.
Speaker 1: Mmm, okay, born to Moroccan parents in the UK and then moved to Dubai. Yeah, you got your mix of you're mixing up a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's kind of a normal story here though, like all my friends have the exact same kind of story as I do.
Speaker 1: So Dubai is a place where people are not born and raised, they're they're moved. They moved there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, a lot of people. Yeah, yeah, I mean I have some friends that are born and raised here, but like, you can be born and raised here, but you're never like eligible for the citizenship because they're like super protective about their nationality.
Speaker 1: So wait what wait I'm I I sorry for my ignorance, but Dubai is being attacked.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, so you know, since the US and the and the Israel are attacking Iran at the moment, you know, they're they're they're shooting at each other, they're you know, basically, there are a lot of US military bases around the Middle East, and uh, and I guess they think that there are some targets in the UAE. So they're just shooting a bunch of missiles here. But like, for the most part, it's been pretty uh okay. I've you know, you hear explosions that like every couple of hours, but like, you know, nothing really that bad has happened. I mean, a couple of people have died, but to be honest, with the amount of artillery they've been sending our way, I think it's been like, you know, pretty pretty good. You know, there's a lot of like people on the internet saying that, you know, it's all propaganda. You know, it's really bad over there. People are shooting their past. They're like terrified. I don't think that's true, honestly, Like I think for a lot of people, like life is pretty okay. I say this. One of my friends called me a couple of hours ago telling me about how the building next to his got hit. But like, you know, he he's fine, He's fine.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Okay. What do you do in Dubai?
Speaker 4: Uh so? I I work as a software engineer for a really really weird company. Basically all of my coworkers are Vietnamese, like all of them. This being said, like I've I've worked sorry I've lived here most of my life. Uh and I don't think I've ever met a Vietnamese person here, And ever since I started working for this company, I think I've met all the Vietnamese people here.
Speaker 1: You've met every Vietnamese person in Dubai.
Speaker 4: I'm I mean there's a high chance, like there are a lot. There are a lot. Like I was really like surprised, and like, you know, I've been to Vietnam. I love the place. But I'm not gonna lie. The work environment in this company has been like pretty uh pretty you know, it's been pretty hectic.
Speaker 1: How would you describe the Why is the work environment nuts?
Speaker 4: I mean they don't really keep track of anything. There are no uh you know, we don't really get like official deadlines. They don't really write anything down. Everything is just like really all over the place. And like I'm me and like, I guess there are like ten other people among like you know this like several hundred people company or whatever. I mean in our team specifically, I think there are like sixty people and ten of us are not Vietnamese, and just you know, it's I guess you feel kind of isolated in that environment where everyone around you is speaking Vietnamese all the time, and like, you know, a lot of these guys don't really speak very good English, so you know you're just kind of like, you know, you try to communicate with them, but it's kind of hard. Mmm.
Speaker 1: How old are you?
Speaker 4: I'm twenty six? Nice.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna stay in Dubai? Is Dubai like your vibe? Or do you want to leave and go somewhere else?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good question, man, To be honest, I ask myself that every day. I did like live in London a little while, and I guess I did like it. You know, it was sort of nice, but it's hard moving to a new city and like you know, you know, readjusting making new friends and stuff I have. I like, I have friends there still, but it's a completely different vibe living in London and living here is a whole different thing because it's like, I mean, you know, Dubai is what you see on Instagram and stuff. There's a lot of like, you know, it's it's really luxurious. It's there are a lot of I guess cool buildings and stuff you can see, but uh, you know, it does feel kind of shallow a lot of the time. As well. Uh, like it does attract a certain kind of person, and I don't think I'm that kind of person. Mmm.
Speaker 1: So okay, I was gonna bring this up to you. So Reddit always had there's always an ask Reddit thread like this pops up like once a month and it and it says like, where's the worst place you've ever been in the world?
Speaker 4: Number?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and three places typically always show up. Uh, and I've never I've okay, so it's Dubai, Cairo, Egypt, and Paris. I've been. I went to Paris a while ago, but I've never been to Cairo, never been to Dubai. Is it as bad as people say?
Speaker 4: No, No, not at all. Honestly, I think most people that have never lived here, they could probably come and live here for a couple of years and be fine. Like I think, especially for somebody that's like a homebody, this is a good place to be a homebody because, you know, the food is great. You can get like a lot, I guess, you can get like a lot of luxury for quite cheap. You can like live in a you know, a nice apartment for the same price you pay for a shitty one in like America, and you know, it's stays like even even with all this shit happening, it's still a pretty safe place, Like you can walk down the streets about worrying about getting like you know, robbed or anything. Uh and uh, you know, it's it's not that bad, but you do have to kind of, like, I guess, look past a lot of things because you know, you don't really get like I guess, proper like freedom of speech here, you know. And I mean I guess I'm used to just not saying anything that might get me in trouble, but I've heard a lot of stories about some people, you know, just like telling someone the fuck off in traffic and next thing you know, they're getting deported.
Speaker 1: WHOA really.
Speaker 4: Yeah that that stuff can happen here because I mean, like in like Arab Islamic culture, I guess we take like that sort of disrespect, like really seriously. I mean, I'm not like that, but uh, you know a lot of people can be like that here.
Speaker 1: Mmmmmm. And uh so what's your friend group?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it full of other like people who came to Dubai when they were really young and they all kind of stayed. Are they all around still? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Exactly? First, exactly. Yeah, But I guess the only thing is, I guess this is such a dumb thing to say. I hate I hate having a chip on my shoulder about this. I mean, all my friends, like you know, they're they they have super like super rich parents. Uh And don't get me wrong, like I'm privileged, Like I got to grow up here. I mean, you know, it was back when no one wanted to live here, but I got to grow up here. My parents got like were paid pretty decently. I didn't really, like, I guess, need much when I was a kid, like I got, I got a lot of video games, and you know, to me, that was enough. But like the a lot of the friends that I grew up with here, like they live in a different world, you know, like they don't they don't think about stuff like saving they don't think about like they don't really need to think about their future in the same way that I do, because I guess they always have that safety net under them. But for me, my parents are sort of broke at this point, and I'm always sort of like just checking myself trying to make sure that I'm like you know, not uh not wasting my money, not wasting my time, Like I just had a job interview like half an hour ago, because you know, I'm just like I really need to get out this company, but also I want to get paid more like I really want to be in a I guess I want to feel like I'm not just surviving.
Speaker 2: Mmmmmm, So.
Speaker 1: Is that like I'm aware that that's like kind of one of the cultural cultural things about Dubai is that people there are very rich. You feel like, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean no, no, that's not that's not completely true like that. So I mean you have people like me, like like me and my friends, you know, we come from like fairly like uh, I you know, well off in comparis to families middle class to like just like stinking rich. Uh and uh you know we we so we went to private schools because here you have most people go to private schools. Like the public schools are mostly like taught in Arabic and they're like Arabic curriculum. Uh and uh. Like a lot of people's jobs will so if you're a parent that moves here, your job will take care of like the schooling for for a private school for your kids. That isn't universal, but it happens a lot so yeah, we went to a private school. Uh. Then you know they're not like exactly the same as the private schools you'll see like in America or like the UK, but they're still like pretty good quality. And uh you know, we we we got like university educations and stuff like that, so we managed to get like decent paid jobs. Like I make like like five thousand bucks a month doing what I do, which is good for Dubai. Uh. And then when you like look at like so we have a lot of like delivery drivers and stuff like that and like security guards and there's no real like minimum wage here, so these guys make like I don't know, like six seven hundred bucks a month. Uh, maybe a little bit more, I don't know. Uh. And I mean the cost of living is expense severe, so they have to like you know, you know, like share rooms and stuff like that and like really like slum it out.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: But uh you know, uh for them, I guess it's like it works for them because the money here goes so much further in their home country mm hmm where I mean. Sorry, I'm yapping a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh no no, no, please, please please keep going. I just wanted to ask, like okay, the people who are making like seven hundred bucks a month, Like where where are they coming from? Like where what's their home country? Typically?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know like East Asian countries, Southeast Asian countries, South Asian countries, so like you know India and Nepal, Bangladesh, the Philippines. You know a lot of people from those countries because at the end of the day, you know, living here, they still got a better quality of life. But they still like you know, like a lot of people will argue that, you know, they get so like like really underpaid. Uh. But at the same time they do make U I guess, Like for I guess if they if they keep coming here, then it's enough. But you know they have to put up with a lot of like be a mm hm m hmm.
Speaker 1: So what's your what's your goal? Man? What's your what's your whole thing? What are you trying to do? You're looking for a new job. What if you could wave a magic wand and be doing anything? What does your life look like?
Speaker 4: Not fucking working? Man? Like the ship. I can't do this ship anymore? Man, Like with this job I could I've just been like literally just going in every day checking, like just checking the time. Like this is one episode of The Sopranos. Where have you ever watched a surprise I have?
Speaker 1: I dude, I'm so TikTok brained. I just I couldn't get past the opening credits where they're going across.
Speaker 4: The Yeah, yeah, yeah, no worries, no worries. It's like, yeah, basically, there's like this this guy that runs away from them all because they're gonna kill him for being gay or like embarrassing him because he's gay. Uh. And he goes and like he's he's just working in some random, like fucking small town in New England, like as a carpenter or some ship. Uh. And they have this one scene where he's just working like starts day, starts at nine, and he just keeps checking the clock, keeps checking the clock, keeps checking the clock, and then you know the clock is just not moving. Uh. And he's just waiting for his lunchtime. He keeps hearing him talk to himself like oh yeah, a couple of minutes to lunch, lunchtime, a couple of minutes to lunchtime, and then uh, you know, all this suspense, all this build up and by the time the clock hits twelve, he just bucks off back to New Jersey and gets himself killed by the mall. Because you just can't live a normal life. And that's kind of how I feel, like I just can't. I find it really hard to tolerate this, but I have no choice, you know, like this is how the world works, like in an ideal world, because I mean I did, like a couple of years back, I quit my job, my other job, and like I went traveling through Southeast Asia for seven months, and you know, you know, best experience in my life. Was a great time, got toe tons of cool shit, but you know, you can't do that stuff forever. I did eventually like run out of money, and I guess I'm not really like I mean, with what I do, I should be able to get a remote job, but I don't like what I do either, So I've just been sort of like stuck trying to figure out what I can do that can make me money that also gives me like you know, flexibility to live like that. But uh, it's not so simple.
Speaker 1: M Why was your time in Southeast Asia so good? What were you doing? Was it just like the freedom? Was it like the people you were meeting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit of both. Uh, you know, freedom was nice just being able to you know, just wake up at like ten o'clock on a random Monday and just like be like, oh, yeah, fuck you, bro, I'm gonna climb this mountain then sandals and you know, just doing that, almost dying the process, but still having a good time. But like here, like living like this, you know, all I can really look forward to is like getting a drunk with my friends on the weekend. And yeah, it's just not really that, like, I don't know, enriching. I had to sound like one of those like you know, like hippie type people, you know, talking down on other people, saying, oh yeah, I can't believe they live their lives like this. But I genuinely, like I look at my friends, I'm like, how how are you not bored? Yet? You know, I find like a lot of this stuff really to be like really like boring, But I still do it because I don't really I mean, it's better than sitting at home like rewatching you know, TV shows or like playing video games or some shit.
Speaker 1: Are your friends having a similar dilemma as you or are they able to tolerate normal life better than you are.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know. I can't say for sure. I do ask them, and some of them seem like they're tolerating it quite well. But at the same time, you hear them complain about things which you know you can relate to. But I mean, I guess they're not looking as much to get out of it because they have a lot of things built around it, because you know, a lot of my friends have like long term relationships. They have like I got some friends that of like trying to buy off houses and stuff, Like they're trying to like start to pay for their mortgages and stuff like that. Uh, so they can I guess, you know, they can't really afford to hate what they have because they do need to like lock in a little bit. Yeah, but uh, I don't know. I mean, I think everyone does go through the same thing kind of But I don't know. I just I really, like, I really struggle to be okay with it.
Speaker 1: M m.
Speaker 4: M.
Speaker 1: Do you know anyone in your personal life who has escaped the matrix, so to speak?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know a couple of people that have. I mean one of some guy that I went to school with. Uh he I mean, I don't really know what he does. He stalls like automation courses on LinkedIn, and uh, you know, like you know, power to him. I I don't have it in me to do stuff like that, Like I really like, I hate using LinkedIn. I hate that whole like, you know, the whole culture of just sort of like trying to gas yourself up professionally and fill your you know, your CV with like random qualifications and stuff. But he's doing well for himself. I mean, I know a couple of people that, you know, they do freelance work, but uh, I mean for the most part, most of the people I know, they they just work like regular jobs. Mhm hm.
Speaker 1: Hmmm hmmm.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess that's not an issue you have to do with because you know, you just get to like, you know, put the get go costume on and like go wherever you want. Right.
Speaker 1: It's true. I I I do live a bit of a I do live a spoiled existence at this point where I can uh kind of gecko around, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but problems are still problems, you know, Like I feel I feel like when you're because you know, when I like, I have some friends that they they'll complain about like whatever problems they'll have, Like you know, again, like I have some friends that are like super rich, have nothing to worry about, and they'll complain about things, and I don't. I don't really hate on people for complaining about their problems because at the end of the day, like your problem is a problem, Like just because you're drowning under two feet of water doesn't mean you're still like not drowning.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, no, I'm with you. I mean everyone has problems, right like I I. I Actually it's funny, man, I used to kind of envision I definitely have done this thing where I when I was a kid, I remember like envisioning the lives of certain people that I looked up to, and I kind of imagined what it would be like to travel, or what it would be like to live this kind of lifestyle, or what it would be like to you know, get to be creative for a living at this thing. And when I imagined all those things, I imagined like a life where I, you know, I didn't really have any problems, and there's I don't think there's such a thing as a life with those problems. I mean they're kind of I mean no, there totally is Actually I've totally met people before who have no problems. And I'm also I also delusionally believe that, you know, how like you can you can kind of keep delaying happiness or like delaying your life to quote unquote start until some certain set of external metrics are met. Over and over and over again, people find that the fulfillment of those external metrics does not really uh work. But uh, I've I don't believe that. I actually totally still believe despite how uh it's been proven counter over and over again, I still kind of believe that I'm like this close to a life without any problems. I just have to fix a few things that.
Speaker 4: Are like problem is, you know, can you give me some what do.
Speaker 1: I think my biggest problem is? Fuck, it's it's a role, It's a rolodex of things. I mean, like I'd like to be, uh, I'd like to be more aligned, you know what I mean by that? Aligned with what just well, like I'd like to be like living a life for like every single day. I feel like I'm like aligned with what I should be doing in the universe, which I which does have I know, I know that like, uh, there's no such thing. It's like what you should be doing. Like I know that we live in kind of an open world, uh, free will whatever universe, but I feel there's some times like in my gut, I can feel when I'm aligned and how I'm currently spending the moment, and I can feel in my gut when I'm like, what we're doing right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean like those sort of things you do like in your in your dates to day or like you're weekly like streams or whatever you're doing.
Speaker 1: There. I think that having this conversation with you right now, I feel aligned in the fact that we're doing this, but it's not it doesn't feel like it's enough for me. I don't feel I always feel like I have to be doing more or like it's not even that I have to be doing it where it's like I was want to be doing more shit.
Speaker 4: But do you think it's like uh, I guess, uh, sort of in the realm of what you're doing, Like do you think like creating content is the sort of thing that makes you feel like you're aligned with what you should be doing, like or close to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh yeah, yeah, yeah, making making things? But then also I like being around people. And I guess the content that I make inherently forces me to be around people. So I guess i'd like to be I'd like to be living my life more. I'd always like to be living more intentionally. I mean I get I get swept away, as we all do by like the phone, and you know, weed and porn and life.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, see those are problems we don't have so much here because weed as illegal and porn is blocked on everything.
Speaker 1: Really okay, what's the story with that? No porn at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean can uh if you are a criminal who you know, engages in illegal activities, you can't use a VPM. Uh but I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure you don't.
Speaker 4: But uh yeah, drug is completely illegal. Like I know some people that have just fully like disappeared after getting caught, and you know that's enough for me to just never want to try it here.
Speaker 1: Dude. It's interesting because Dubai seems I've never been, but just my idea of it is it seems like a cocainey city.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah that that. I mean, I've definitely like, uh, I've seen some people that, like, you know, like these guys definitely have to be on code. But uh, I never like, you know, I don't partake in it when I'm sure, Like I if I do drugs, I do it in a you know, in a place where I'm not going to get into like huge trouble for it, like uh you know, but not here. Not here, like alcohol is enough for me.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, hmmm. Are they big drinkers over there? Do they get Are they always getting sucked up?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean not not the local people, because they tend to be more uh you know, on the religious side of the spectrum. Uh, but uh, you know a lot of like me and my friends. Yeah, we always get drunk every weekend. We're always drinking. Maybe not right now because it's Ramadan, so you kind of you know, I I'm trying to be good. I'm not I'm not particularly religious, but uh, you know, I live with my parents, so kind of feel like I have to do it.
Speaker 1: Is the Middle East in general kind of dry, Like I mean, obviously it's dry, obviously the climate is dry. But I mean, yeah, yeah, because when I was when I was in Iraq, like, no, I don't I I couldn't tell whether or not alcohol was legal, but I never it was never sold anywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's usually they I mean I've seen that it like when I went to Morocco. It usually sort of operates under the like under a system where you know, you don't serve it openly and broad daylight, but you can still get it here as well. For the longest time it was like that. But I guess in the last couple of years since they opened up the tourists, they've wanted to, I guess, make it, you know, it make their image seem a bit more like western or friendly. So now they have, like I guess, more more bars and nightclubs and beach clubs and stuff like that that are like pretty like you know out there in front of you. You still can't advertise alcohol though, but you know they're alcohol shops. Like I can walk ten minutes down the road and go and buy a bottle of vodka if I want. You know, what's a little bit over priced but still good.
Speaker 1: What's the stupidest like luxury thing you've seen in Dubai, Like if you see like like shit like a like a thirty thousand dollars dollar golden slice of pizza type shiit? What's the stupidest thing like that that you've seen.
Speaker 4: Oh damn, that's uh. I remember when I was when I was in school, there was this one girl in my class that had a birthday party. She threw a birthday party, and uh, first start, I was not invited to this birthday party. I just heard, like, you know, some people that went to it. Uh huh. So uh, you know, when you're a kid, you give like goodie bags at the birthday parties to all your guests, you know, thank you for coming. Yeah, those goodie bags they had iPads in them, like the new way.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, were you?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I did get a little bit of fomo. But you know, if I'm being real, I didn't really know this girl that well, so of course you know it wouldn't be me.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: What's what's like the stupidest thing you've just seen advertised on the street.
Speaker 4: The stupidest thing I've seen advertised? Yeah, oh oh, that's hard to say. I mean they don't really like they're not that stupid of their advertising here. I think it's it's still it's it's very similar to what you would see in like any metropolitan city. I mean, I remember this isn't on the street. This is like in a shopping wall. But there's just like this one phone shop, like it's a brand, and they specialize in making phones that are like you know, essentially like timped out. Like you know, the new iPhone comes out, they'll like take it to their workshop and encrusted with like gold and diamonds and shit, and then just sell it for like you know, like ten times workup, and some people, I'm ironically buy that shit.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: Have you ever bought any like stupid luxury stuff or that's not that it doesn't sound like that's your it's your taste.
Speaker 4: Uh, I mean, yeah, I'm pretty like, uh, I'm pretty cheap. I can't lie. Like if if it's for someone's gift, I'll like, you know, I'll get something that's luxurious. But if it's for myself, like I mean, you know, if I'm being completely honest, like I know where to find good fakes of shit if I really want luxury things. But I don't really wear like designer clothes or anything like that. I don't really like uh yeah, I mean I do, like like a good hotel or like a good like uh you know, spat day or some shit like that. Uh, but if it's something that's just like like fully materialistic, then yeah, this is really my sort of thing.
Speaker 1: What's the stupidest thing your rich friends have bought?
Speaker 4: Hmm? My friends don't really buy dumb shit. I mean sometimes they'll pay like dumb amounts some money for convenience, but like they don't really like buy stupid shit. I mean, I have this one aunt that I don't even know if I should I should say this. They basically, like some people that we know, spend like a buck ton of money just to park a private jet, Like more money than I make in a month. They'll spend in a day just to park this jet, which is crazy to whoa. But I don't think that's even that stupid though, because you know, if you own it, I guess you have no choice. I mean, owning a private jet, you know, by itself a lot of like you know, moral and uh, I guess practical questions you got to ask yourself. But if you're gonna park your private jet, I mean, you have no choice but to park it in that expensive place. You know.
Speaker 1: Dude, what's your name again?
Speaker 4: Uh? I don't even think I said it. My name is Omar, Omar, Omar.
Speaker 1: You know, we've been talking for over half an hour, and I'm realizing I never really asked you. And it's okay if you actually just wanted to talk. But was there a specific reason why you called me today?
Speaker 4: I honestly, I just saw your Instagram stories saying that you were taking calls and I figured I may as well give it a shot, swag. This was a specific reasons. I just want to talk about, like working shit.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I hope you find some form of clarity in life. I wish i'd do. Here's the thing, man, is, like I wish I had better answers for you because I don't want to go like, I don't know, man. Sometimes I'm down to go all Gary Vee and be like you should fucking quit your job and learn how to drop ship soap or whatever it is. But I don't know, man, I don't know. It's life hits you hard. But I do have this. I mean, I got a little bit of survivors whatever, but it's still a bit of a belief that, like, if you want to figure out some alternative way to live your life, it's out there for the taking. Should you, uh, should you really desire it. I don't know what that looks like for you, though, Do you have an idea of what that would look like for you?
Speaker 4: Couldn't tell you, Man, couldn't tell you. I mean, it just compolds me being comfortable and in some like random place around the world. Probably not, you're though, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's the that's the dream everywhere is like every the dream is to fucking the dream is always to leave.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: There's people who are like coming from like uh uh, like developing countries that are like, oh, the dream is to go to America, And there's people in America where like the dream is to go to a developing country where it's cheaper. Like I feel like a dream is always to leave, no matter where you are.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's becoming a more common thing nowadays that people in developed countries want to go to developing countries so that they can live with like you know, they can just sort of live on a shoe string budget and still live nicely. Yeah, but I'm like kind of uh, I guess opposed to that idea just because I don't know, I've seen a lot of people like that, Like, yeah, I don't know if you've been to like Thailand or like Bali before. But there's just a lot of people out there, like Westerners, that they live that sort of life, and I don't think the locals particularly like those kinds of people that much.
Speaker 1: Probably not. No, I can't see why. I can't see why they would. I mean, yeah, people in general don't like, uh, well, it's funny because like, well it's the whole thing. It's funny, the whole thing of like you know, when white people do it, it's like expat and then like when people move to the US, they're immigrants and it's like there's no real difference. Yeah, but uh, I don't know, it's it's it's an attractive thing. It's like the American dream now is to like leave America and yeah, go to go to somewhere where your dollar can go farther. But I don't know what that's like. In Dubai, it seems like, I don't know, it seems like you have uh.
Speaker 4: Well, I.
Speaker 1: You seem like you have like you got your family and you got your friends there, so it seems like you have at least that version of life pretty pretty well there. Mhm.
Speaker 4: That's true. At least I have people around me, you know, I mean, life does get like a lot more like depressing when you're doing on any way around you.
Speaker 1: Dude, it's the only thing. I mean, it's not the only thing, but it's the most important thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like even if the people around you and your parents drive you crazy, like you know, I I don't know, it does kind of be being alone, but sometimes.
Speaker 1: It doesn't, no, because you have you sound like you have a lot of friends in Dubai, Like you get drunk with your bodies on the weekends.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, yeah, how many guys are there?
Speaker 1: How many guys are there?
Speaker 4: I mean I don't like I guess, like if I'm talking like like close friends, I don't know, I'd say I have like six.
Speaker 1: Or seven That's what I do have, like a lot of And you have a lot of aquaincess too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of acquaintances, A lot of people that, like, you know, I'm chill with. But I guess I don't really like do much other than like you know, see them when I like leave the house.
Speaker 1: Dude, I'm gonna tell you this. I'm gonna tell you. I know you're struggling with the money thing and with like the job thing. But dude, at twenty six years old, if you live somewhere where you have six close friends and then you're chill with a bunch of other people, that's you're doing fucking great. Like that's that's a lot, dude. I really do believe that because as you get older, it's as you get older and like you're kind of people spread out and you kind of find yourself on your own and stuff, like having those homies is the thing that keeps you grounded in fucking reality. You know, that's what you that's what you want. So so it sounds fucking corny, and I'm not saying it like makes up for all things, but like you, if you you should at least like, like, I hope you feel rich in that. Oh God, that sounded so fucking corny, but but I really do. I really am, Like I really it sounded so fucking corny, but I really do feel like, uh, that's a that's a strong that's a strong blessing.
Speaker 4: I got it. I got it. I mean like, yeah, you say it sounds corny, but you know, conventional wisdom is conventional for reason. You know, it's because it kind of works.
Speaker 1: Omar you said your name was Yeah, it's been nice talking man. I appreciate you calling man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for picking up man. I was really suppressed.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 4: I mean, I had a YouTube channel. I would plug it, but I don't really post on it much anymore.
Speaker 1: What were you posting? What were you making?
Speaker 4: I was I guess you're just posting content where I yap. I mean the channel name is literally omar is Yapping, but I haven't posted on that in like a year. And I mean, I look back at the content I made and I don't even like. I look at it think yeah, this kind of sucks. Could do better, But yeah, I don't know. I feel like if I can't do it consistently, then maybe it's not for me. I don't know.
Speaker 1: M Well, can I see it? What's what's the name?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, it's called It's actually just called omar is Yapping.
Speaker 1: YouTube batcom slash omar is yeah, ping, let's see four or four are not founds?
Speaker 4: Hold on?
Speaker 1: Might google it or I'm gonna YouTube search.
Speaker 4: I will share this with anybody. Man. I don't know why I go so comfortable in this.
Speaker 1: I can't even I mean, I can't really find it.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know, it's it's still it's still out there.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure, at least for Omar O M A R. Wait there you are, yeah, there you are. There are exposing my deepest, darkest secrets. For cloud is that you Yeah, you seem like you regret telling me about this.
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, I think it's one of those things like what's the point of making content if you can't tell anybody that you make content? But at the same time, I really don't. I really I don't want people to like that, I know, to know that know about it, But at the same time, like who fucking cares?
Speaker 1: And you know, it's really like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I haven't posted on in the year anyway.
Speaker 1: Wait look at that. Wait, hold on, wait, brother, hold on, Okay, we got to talk because you have a thumbnail here. You have a video that says embrace the cringe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know the thing that I was. I was in that mindset a year ago, and now I like, I I look at that and I think, like, now, like, who the fuck am I to be telling people to embrace the cringe? Because I'm you know, very uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: So then so why not why not take this opportunity to return to your roots and embrace the cringe.
Speaker 4: I think that's the thing. It's just kind of hard when you're in this sort of like uh I mean that that's the sort of environment I'm in. You know, everybody just sort of like it's always like looking for things to talk about. Uh So, for example, if if if somebody that you know it was to have a YouTube channel, you know, people would like joke about it and just like have to have something to say about it. Yeah, at the end of the day, who fucking cares the people like that think.
Speaker 2: But you know, it does hurt.
Speaker 4: It does hurt a little bit. Does hurt a little bit.
Speaker 1: I just commented on it, I said, embrace the cringe.
Speaker 4: Thank you for this comment.
Speaker 1: Subscribing, I subscribe. I hope you put out a new video.
Speaker 4: All right, Thank you so much, Lyle. I appreciate it. Again, Like I can't I can't believe I'm talking to you, man, I can't believe kept it. I can't believe I haven't managed to trip over my words or make myself sound like an idiot for the last half an hour or However, longing.
Speaker 1: To speaking professional yapper Omar.
Speaker 4: I'm no, I would say, I'm an I'm sure yapper.
Speaker 1: Good enough. It's it's been good talking to you, Omar. I appreciate you sharing everything with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good talking to you as well.
Speaker 1: Love you, Lowe Hey, love me too, brother. You take care, Sue see Omar, that was Omar, good guy. I don't usually tell people I love them back, but I felt it in that moment. I did. I felt it in that moment Omar, Omar, Omar touched me. He seemed like a good guy. Got check out. Omar is yapping on YouTube. Everyone go on his channel and tell him to keep making videos. Hello everyone, thank you very much for listening to the Therapy Gotical podcast. I'm going to end today's episode by reading one piece of gek mail is email that was sent to me a gecko that I am going to read. So I'll read this one piece of viewer email first, and then you guys can go. I mean you can go right now. I'm not this isn't school, but yes, we'll do this and then we'll end the episode. So this is from Jamie. Subject line catfishing people made me transgender. I don't know where this is going, but let's read it well and then we'll find out. Hello, Wise Lizard of the Computer, Hello Jamie. I'm Jamie for now, but as the title may suggest, that is subject to change. Before we get into it, I should mention I do have a therapist, and he's great, but I need someone a bit fucking being crazy who can look at this and acknowledge it for the mess that it is. Okay, I am honored to be that person who's a bit fucking crazy. About four years ago, I started college, recently out of COVID. Everyone's been inside for ages and it was hard to break the ice. So I did what any well adjusted person would do, and I made a bunch of accounts on dating sites, posing as a chick, with the idea being that the experience would bring some funny stories to help me talk to the people around me and make some friends, and for what it's worth, it did. However, somewhere down the line, I found myself enjoying it a little more than for how I had initially intended. I felt comfortable for the first time possibly in my life. I felt connected, even at two am, when I really should have been sleeping parentheses. I failed college over this, btw, So I took a step back. I assessed my situation and I went, huh, what a coincidence, and just ignored it like a fucking champ. But then calamity struck. All the accounts got banned and I was left with nothing. I just had to make do with the stories I had collected and told thus far. But I missed it. And when I thought about missing it, I realized it wasn't the stories I collected that I missed, but it was the moment to moment interactions and being seen in that way. So I took another look at myself and went, huh, well, I guess there's nothing I can do. But around this time, I started seeing a therapist because my grades suck and I kept falling asleeping class. We got to talking about things, and at this point I realized that my issues stemmed from just enjoying. My issues stemmed further than just enjoying how the people in the dating app saw me, but also hating how people in person saw me. That's when the idea of being transgender fully fledged in my mind. But there's a pretty signific problem with all this the way I found out about the about all this myself is objectively immoral, and I think it might also be a little bit illegal. Is it illegal? I don't know if that's illegal. I don't know if it's necessarily illegal to pretend to be someone you or not on a dating app.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's like a hinge law uh. That makes me feel like I don't deserve this. Maybe I'm a piece of shit who should suffer hating their body, mind and voice until the end of days as a punishment for being a bad person. But then I can't be a good person and do good things if I'm not comfortable in the world. It's a real fucking mess, dude, which is why I wanted to write you, because so many people these days are so afraid of putting foot wrong, and all they want to do is put you in some fucking reinforcement chamber so they look like better people. I need the advice of someone real as fuck, and I can't think of anyone realer than the lizard guy who talks to crazy people on the internet. So what do you think, a wise lizard man? The moral of the story, I guess is, don't believe everything you see online and sometimes you gotta do it for the lore ps. If you were an item in the fortnight Shop, I would buy you. Well, Jamie, Uh, listen, there's nothing wrong, Jamie. Why do you Jamie, what's going on? Why do you think you're such a terrible person. I'm goanna, Look, you were fucking around on the dating apps pretending to be a woman. You realize that you kind of liked what it was like being perceived as a woman. You realize, so, you know, whatever, this is how you found out that you were trans You know, it's not it's not insane that this is how you found out. I mean, listen, I'm gonna be honest. I think there's things around this perhaps that are indicators of I don't insanity as is quite a word, but there's there's things around this where I'm like, you know, making smurf dating accounts, this thing where you're like, I went on dating sites posing as a chick so I would have funny stories to tell people, because that's the way I'm going to make connections with others. That's the only part of me, that's the main part of this that feels crazy to me, not like like, look, If this is the way you found out that you prefer being seen as a woman, that's that's fine. The crazy thing is this idea that like you need to have crazy stories in order of like fucking with people on the internet in order to connect with people. That's where your logic is flawed. I actually feel like that will help. That makes you connect with people less, because here's the thing, Jamie, is you're gonna connect with people because you're taking interest in them, not because like like if you're in a conversation with someone and you just keep telling you're like, oh, the way to have if you are following a line of logic that's telling you the way to connect with someone and have a conversation with them is to pretend to be a woman on a dating app and then fuck with guys and have weird stories about it. You're you're not gonna connect with that person at all. You're just gonna be a wall of yourself. You're gonna tell these people a bunch of stories that they don't care about, and you're just gonna and they're gonna be like, Oh, that person doesn't know how to connect with people. They're just gonna tell me these stories you know that they're just gonna be like a wall of themselves that's not really connecting. That's just like throwing your existence at somebody. So my advice to you is to you know, next time you're in a conversation, don't bring any of this shit it up. Ask them how they're doing, you know, say something like, hey, do you have any have you been doing anything interesting lately? And then when they say no, not really say oh, is there anything you'd like to be doing? You know, just keep back, like ask them questions. If someone was talking to me about like fucking with people on dating apps and like they just brought it up and they just kept talking about it, I would listen to them because I would be curious for sure, but I wouldn't walk away from that feeling like I connected with another person. So that's my two cents is, you know, you don't have to be interesting, you have to be interested Jamie, and you know, congrats on finding out that your trans I don't think that's inherently crazy. I need the advice of someone real as fuck, and I can't think of anyone realer than the lizard guy who talks to crazy people on the internet.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 1: I am a little bit crazy.
Speaker 4: We all are. Jamie.
Speaker 1: I'd buy you if you were an item in the Fortnite shop, just kidding, I wouldn't. I don't play Fortnite.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't have anything more productive to say. This has been therapy Gecko. Thank you guys for joining. If you live in the city of Tokyo, Japan, I am doing a show at my favorite comedy club in Japan, the Tokyo Comedy Bar, on March twenty second. That's a Sunday. If so, maybe you're off work and you want to come. I'm also doing thirty other shows across America in many places all over the America, some places in Canada, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal. I have some material that I'll be doing. I have some group Gecko therapy sessions that I'll be conducting and it'll be a good time. I hope you show up Therapy geckotour dot com or check the link the episode description. Uh, this has been therapy Getcko. My name is Lyle. Thank you guys as always for listening, and see you folks in a few days. Get bless goes on the.
Speaker 3: Line taking your phone calls every night de re Bek goes doing his ride.
Speaker 1: He's teaching you loud on the memor of your life. Money's not ready.
Speaker 3: An expert