Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio. Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 2: And I'm Joe McCormick, and today we're going to be talking about a concept in the realm of genetics and reproduction, a concept known as mutational meltdown. Very enticing name, Rob I understand you became interested in mutational meltdown earlier this week. What got you going on this.
Speaker 1: Well, it actually didn't have anything to do directly with any melt movies we might have been talking about on Weird House Cinema. I actually, I think I was on a walk with my family and I said, hey, I think we're going to need an episode for Thursday. What should we do it on? And there my wife and my son are like, oh, you should do it on asexual reproduction. So okay, let's just started looking around a little bit. And Yeah, this particular term kind of jumped out at me. I wasn't familiar with it, and it basically gets down into and I think for our purposes here on the show, you know, it's a reason to sort of provide an overview of sort of asexual reproduction. Versus sexual reproduction as sort of competing ways of going about sort of the same thing for an organism, but one with more short term benefits versus long term benefits. And I don't know, I just found it to be kind of a neat way to re examine and think about these concepts that I imagine we've covered on the show before, and many of you out there have encountered in varying formats.
Speaker 2: Sure well, I know over the years we have alluded to the big question in biology of like where sex comes from, the where, when and why of sexual reproduction as a part of the history of organisms on planet Earth. Not going to solve that problem today, but yeah, I think maybe this little subtopic could help shed a little bit of light there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's start with the basics, though, we're going to just approach it as if you're not really familiar with any of the topics that we're discussing here. So asexual reproduction versus sexual reproduction on a very basic level, here's how it all goes down. So, with sexual reproduction, you have the offspring of two genetic parents inheriting a mix of genes from those parents, genetically distinguishing itself from either parent. The resulting genetic variation is highly adaptive because it provides individuals with varying traits that may prove necessary for survival in an ever changing environment. The resulting genetic diversity makes the population more resistant to disease as well.
Speaker 2: I think one of the theories we've talked about before is that an advantage of sexual reproduction is that it helps protect the host organism against various types of parasites by introducing genetic variability that makes it harder for the parasite to target each successive generation of the host.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a clumsy analogy at best, but I can't help but think too about like to say that, because essentially, when you're talking about asexual reproduction, you're talking essentially about making a clone of oneself. And so the clone army in the Star Wars prequels highly susceptible, to say, a single order coming out and telling them to turn on the Jedi, that sort of thing. But that's just a very very rough idea of how to think about it. But more specifically for our purposes here, another key benefit that comes up in the literature is looking at is that you can think of sex, and genetic recombination is ultimately a means of purging deletarious mutations.
Speaker 2: Right, So the impact of mutations that might be harmful to the organism can be blunted by sexual recombination.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So you end up with this, I mean, roughly speaking, you know, you have kind of like a randomization of these different traits, and the individuals that end up the offspring with that end up with the negative traits, the harmful traits, they don't survive. The ones that have been purged of those mutations do survive, and therefore it can purge the mutation from a particular lineage. Okay, all right, So moving on to asexual reproduction. This is a case in which you have the offspring of a single genetic parent inheriting the genes of the parent, making it a clone identical to the parent. The advantage here is that you can reproduce rapidly without all of the energy expenditure of mating. And I mean that's a pretty big statement to think about, because so many organisms we end up discussing on the podcast. You know, what is the key thing that makes them interesting? Well, in some cases many ca is it's how they acquire their food. But in other cases it's how do they get a mate? How do they attract a mate or pursue a mate, and it ends up taking up a whole lot of time, a whole lot of energy. And what if you didn't have to do that? What if instead you could just essentially clone yourself.
Speaker 2: It would be very convenient and safer in a lot of cases, because I mean it varies by organism, but in many cases, yeah, if you have to go seeking out a mate, it is not only, you know, an energy expense to go looking around, but you're also often removing yourself from safe locations and going into dangerous ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's kind of like when you get some sort of new kit to a symbols of Ikia furniture, right, and the first thing you notice is that on the instructions it says, oh, you have to have two people to do this, and you're like, oh, that totally wrecks my day. Now I've got to get my significant other or a friend to help with this. We've got to align our schedules and we have to both work together to build this thing, as opposed to one where I can just build it myself. And put it where it needs to go in the house. Now, there are multiple types of asexual reproduction, and we're not going to go into all of them, but you have all sorts of things like asexual budding and so forth. The sources I was looking at dealt a lot with parthenogenesis, which occurs widely and invertebrates. This word stems from the Greek for virgin creation parthenos plus genesis.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this would describe, for example, a lot of vertebrates, like maybe some lizards or fish that can give birth without ever having without ever having their game meets fertilized by a member of the opposite sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we're talking about lizards, geckos, various insects, particularly some sharks. And it's of course very important to note that there are obligate sexual reproducers and then they're obligate asexual reproducers. But then there are also organisms that can do either depending on environmental pressure. So a classic example of a sexually reproducing organism engaging in asexual reproduction is, of course, when an individual cannot find a mate. It's kind of there is I guess you could think of it as kind of a backup plan or some sort of a you know, an emergency button that can be pushed. And this has been the case with some of the famous examples of say sharks or lizards such as the Komodo dragon, reproducing in captivity, These so called virgin births that will suddenly occur in shock zoo keepers.
Speaker 2: So the ideal is to mix and match your genetic material with somebody else's. But in a pinch, you could just make a copy of yourself if you're the.
Speaker 1: Right species correct, Yeah, and if I'm remembering correctly. This also pops up in the plot of Jurassic Park, right, something to do with the way that they're recreating dinosaur DNA using amphibian DNA.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if this is parthenogenesis or if it would be different. I think what they say, at least in the movie, I don't remember what happens in the book. In the movie they say that because they use some frog DNA to cover up patches in the DNA sequence. This I'm just recalling from memory what mister DNA tells us, that that some frogs are able to spontaneously change sex in a single sex environment. And thus even though all of the dinosaurs in the park were supposed to be female, some changed into males and thus were sexually reproducing.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, I think that's the main thing. I'm either misremembering that or maybe there's something from one of the later like Jurassic World films that I'm only like half processing here. All right, So you have these two basic ways of reproducing. Then this of course means that there are drawbacks to either one. So in sexual reproduction, again, you got to put a whole lot of energy and time into mating behaviors. It necessitates the existence of males, which in some cases like do little or nothing else, Like you know, an entire division of the species just for reproduction. Mating can prove fatal in and of itself, not necessarily in a way that actually has any impact on the species. But still it's like the again, you get into these situations where the male's whole role is reproduction and then afterwards has no purpose except maybe death. And it can of course also be nutrition, could be nutrition. Yeah, so it's not a complete ways. But also just mating in general creates opportunities for predators in a number of ways. It could be something very specific like well, while you're mating, it's possible that something could could prey on you. But also again, just think of all the links that creatures end up going to inmate selection and so forth. Various examples of this, even if it's just say sexual dimorphism, could mean that one member of the species is more likely to be consumed than the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes me think about all of the I don't know, like birds that essentially where male birds are trying to attract mates, specifically by being conspicuous. Yeah, you got to think that that also that comes with some amount of predation risk, at least in many cases.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another thing could be, yes, particular places you know they have to travel to in order to engage in the mating, et cetera. But another drawback to sexual reproduction is that if it's your only option, it means that isolated members of a particular species or population just cannot reproduce, and it also means that sufficiently reduced populations are just already at a dead end. Now in asexual reproduction, there's also a potential dead end there as well, because if you don't have genetic variation occurring, if you're basically just putting out the same model after the same model, after the same model. It may well improve, it may well prove impossible for the species to adapt or to change. So it's you know, if you're just putting out the same model after the same model, and like the market is the same for that product, then I guess you don't have anything to worry about so long as the market doesn't change. Is Suddenly, if the demand for a particular you know, toy or item, we were to alter in some way and you couldn't alter the product, then you'd be in trouble. And the same goes for any kind of biological form. What happens when say, things begin to dry up or there's warming or cooling, or whatever the case may be. Sexual reproduction is what gives you the ability to bust out these these different variations on the genetic code that could prove adaptive to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gives you options, diversity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, diversifies your portfolio. Now, we mentioned disease and parasites already, so that's very much the case. If you just have a whole bunch of clones, then they all have the same susceptibility to illness or parasites. Overall, the big drawback is just a lack of genetic diversity, which can also result in the accumulation of harmful mutations. And another thing about the difference between the two though, that I guess I hadn't really thought about too much, is that it being a difference between short term and long term benefits. So, asexual reproduction is great for rapidly growing a population during a time of plenty, but the resulting population can run into problems long term. Meanwhile, sexual reproduction requires more energy and time, but generates diversity that may come in handy in the long term again when there are changes and obstacles that arise. Anyway, coming back to this idea that via asexual reproduction you can have this accumulation of harmful genetic changes. This brings us to the topic of Muller's ratchet, which is not something I was familiar with previously. The basic theory here is that long term reproduction, particularly a sexual reproduction, some of the studies we're looking at they're also looking at it with sexual reproduction. Basically, you see this accumulation of harmful genetic mutations, and after thousands of generations pass by, you can eventually reach a tipping point, which we refer to as mutational meltdown. And we'll get back to mutational meltdown in just a second. But interestingly, the namesake for Muller's ratchet is Hermann Joseph Muller, who lived eighteen ninety through nineteen sixty seven an American geneticist, mostly known for his work on mooda genesis, and for being like an outspoken critic and just sort of communicator on the dangers of radioactive fallout. He won the nineteen forty six Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, and he was also the father of mathematician and computer scientist David E. Muller, who also has various things named after him. So you'll find a number of things in both genetic concepts and what have you, in genetics and mathematics that have the Mueller name attached to them.
Speaker 2: Now, Rob, before you suggested this, I had never heard of mutational meltdown or Mueller's ratchet, at least as far as I know. But one of the things that I got really interested in here is how it violates sort of the simple assumptions that you make when you think about evolution on a surface level, because of course, it makes this reference to the idea of harmful genetic mutations accumulating over time in the species, and at a surface level, you might think, well, wait a minute, why would harmful genetic mutations accumulate. Isn't natural selections supposed to get rid of those? And so over time, with enough enough opportunities, yes, mutations that bring more harm than benefit to an organism's ability to survive and rep produce will tend to disappear. But under certain circumstances, bad genes can accumulate. And one of the key concepts to understand here is what's known as genetic drift. So genetic drift is a change in the frequency of a particular gene variant also known as an allele in a population due to random chance rather than to natural selection. So random genetic drift is always happening. It's always going on in the background in the evolution of species. While you might think of natural selection as sort of acting in the foreground amplifying or diminishing alleles because they are helpful or harmful. So you might think of, say a gene for blue feathers in some kind of bird. That gene might increase in the population, not for any reason having to do with blue feathers making the birds survive or reproduce more. Maybe it's just you know, sheer luck one season. Or maybe there might be some kind of random thing that happens in the popular lakes. Maybe a big population of blue feathered individuals come across a big cache of food or something, or there is just the standard fluctuations in the sampling rate of the different alleles that get recombined in sexual reproduction. The smaller a population is, the more likely it is to be irreversibly changed by random trends in genetic drift. Now you might wonder, how would that work if the trends in genetic drift or just random, it's just chance, how would that cause irreversible changes? I think one way you might be able to compare this is if you think about gambling. Okay, imagine you're making bets on somebody flipping a coin. If you have an infinite pot of money to bet with, you could just keep doing this forever, right Like you might get a run of good luck, you might get a run of bad luck. You might call the coin wrong. You know, I don't know how many times it would be plausible eight times in a row and lose a lot of money, But eventually, on average, you'd have a winning streak again and you'd win your money back as long as you can keep gambling, as long as you've got like an infinite pot to play from. But if you are gambling with a fixed amount of money, you eventually will hit a random run of bad luck and lose it all. You will play to extinction.
Speaker 1: Very fitting, very fitting.
Speaker 2: So for my analogy here, you could compare the size of your purse you're going into gamble with with the size of the population where the random genetic drift is happening. Genetic drift in a small population can easily drive certain alleeles extinct, even though those alleles had no negative effect on survival. The other side of the other side of that is that in small populations, random genetic drift can also so do the inverse. It can take an allele and make it the only version of that gene left in the population, present in one hundred percent of individuals. And there's a term for this. The population genetics term for when an allele becomes present in the entire population is fixation. When that allele is the only version of that gene left. It is said to be fixed in the population. Everybody's got it. And of course, once a gene variant is fixed in a population, of course that means the individuals in that population are stuck with it, you know, unless there is new information introduced. Now that could be maybe a random mutation causes a new version of that gene to appear, and then it can maybe compete, or there is inflow of new alleles of that gene, maybe by interbreeding with another population or something like that. But for a closed population, once a gene variant is fixed with it. Now the important thing to realize is that alleles don't have to be the best version of that gene. They don't have to be helpful to survival or reproduction in order to become fixed in a population. In big populations, harmful versions of genes will not tend to dominate over time, they will tend to get removed or remain in the background. But in small populations, because you're essentially gambling with a small purse, those deleterious alleles can become fixed just through bad luck. So you imagine maybe every season within a population, you pick a randomly assorted number of the individuals in that population, you say, whichever allele they've got, make another copy of that one, and then you just keep doing that over and over. You can at random results where suddenly a gene that's not very good for the population is suddenly the only one left. So that's how genetic drift can cause deleterious, harmful genes to become fixed in a population. But I was wondering, Okay, so what's the deal with this idea of mutational meltdown? What's happening there? Well, I was reading about this in a in a biology textbook I found called Practical Conservation Biology, edited by David Lindenmeyer and Mark Bergmann. And you know, one of the things that the authors mention is that every population carries some load in the background of deleterious, recessive genes. But the core theory of mutational meltdown again, it's something that really applies in particular to small populations. That's where it's really dangerous. The author's rite quote. In small populations, the dominant genetic process is if the size of the breeding population is very small, then random drift can overwhelm natural selection and a population can accumulate and become fixed for quite deleterious mutations. If the decline in fitness that results from the accumulation of new mutations reduces fecundity, so reduces birth rates and reduces survival to the extent that the population declines, feedback between random genetic drift and mutation is set in motion. As the population size decreases, random genetic drift becomes a more significant force, and the rate of fixation of deleterious mutations increases, further reducing population size. So it is this feedback loop between the harmful mutations making the population smaller and thus increasing the effects of genetic drift compared to the effects of selection forces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so at first you just have one wrong turn movie, and then you have two wrong turn movies, and before you know it, there's like twenty of them and you haven't seen a single one, but you know that they all have something to do with mutated hillbillies.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a vicious cycle of some kind. And as a side note, by the way, that this is not relevant to most of the species we'd be talking about, but just because I thought it was interesting. The authors in the context of this conservation biology book also mention how this applies in captive populations in a conservation context. So because captive populations of animals where you know, there's concern for the species level survival because those might those animals are not really competing in the wild to survive. It is very easy, in fact, for them to accumulate deleterious mutations in their genome because you have this genetic drift factor. But then also the normal selection pressures are not really applying at all. So once the population is reintroduced into the wild, the build up of all these deleterious mutations acquired through genetic drift can be quite harsh, and they say that this could explain some examples of basically poor performance of captive bread individuals of endangered species after being released into the wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are so many factors to take into account with captive populations, because on top of everything you just talked about, there's also the idea that some species will just then spontaneously asexually produce offspring, which of course is not going to that particular offspring is not going to be genetically diversified either, So yeah, you have this huge bottleneck potential there.
Speaker 2: One last thing from that book. The most common citations I see for the theoretical work on mutational meltdown are attributed to papers by Lynch published in the nineties, in the nineteen nineties, but they do note also in this book chapter that there have been some studies that looked for so that's the theoretical work by Lynch, but there were some studies that looked to try to find evidence of what they call greater genetic loads, these accumulations of mutations in small fruitfly populations. This was cited to Giligan at all in two thousand and five, and they didn't find it. They didn't find evidence of these of these loads they expected. So I guess some questions about how the theory of mutational meltdown actually applies to populations in the wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's my understanding that, Yeah, we are dealing with theories here, and there is a continued challenge for evolutionary biologies to find examples and potential examples of all of this and to define these breakthrough examples. It will help us better understand not only this whole question of potential mutational meltdown, but also just sort of the larger question again of like why is sexual reproduction more beneficial or seemingly more beneficial, like why sexual reproduction at all? But anyway, as I understand it, based on what we're looking at here, we have Mueller's ratchet, which is the theoretical process that then could bring us to this end game of mutational meltdown. Mutational meltdown in this regard would be considered a subclass of an extinction vortex. Extinction vortex is a larger classification, entailing different environmental, genetic, and demographic factors. It's also worth noting and perhaps inflating the obvious here, and that is that extinction is in the long term inevitable. All species eventually face extinction, and I've read that something like more than ninety nine percent of all species to ever exist have gone extinct. Again, this is stuff that makes perfect sense when you spell it out, but also it can it can sort of mess with your short term of short, short lived human brain when you start again thinking about the really long term history of life on Earth. So, of course, one of the big obvious challenges to exploring all of this is that humans have only been around on Earth and in a position to look for examples of things like mutational meltdown for a very short period of time. And if most asexual species or populations don't last very long, do you know, theoretically to Muller's ratchet or to you know, the stability of sexual reproduction outline and things like the red queen hypothesis. Then the various examples of ancient asexual species that we have that are more easy to you know, to look to, those are going to be exceptions to the rule. And then this creates additional additional questions arise, well, how has this asexual species been able to revive these challenges, these rigors that we're identifying in the data here. And you know, one of the sources I was looking at two thousand and eights quantifying the threat of extinction from Mueller's ratchet in the diploid Amazon molli. This is from Low and Lamach. They point out that, yeah, these species are of considerable interest to researchers for these very reasons.
Speaker 2: That would be the Amazon molli.
Speaker 1: Well, just in general these sorts of species species that.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, yeah, ancient asexual species.
Speaker 1: Sorry, right, in this particular paper, this particular paper that the main focus the Amazon Mollie, though, is also really interesting. This is a small asexual fish species that seems just prime for mutational meltdown. However, in modeling out the rate of harmful mutations in the species, they ran into what they referred to in the paper as a genomic decay paradox. So in most of the models they ran, the expected time to extinction for them species was less than previous estimates on the age of the species, So it would seem that the species has outlived its genomic expiration date if Mueller's ratchet and mutational meltdown is indeed a factor the author's right quote, several biological processes can individually or in combination solve this genomic decay paradox, including paternal leakage of undamaged DNA from sexual sister species, compensatory mutations, and many others, and they of course conclude that more research is ultimately required. Another paper that looks into all this that I found quite interesting was Deleterious mutation Accumulation in asexual tymema stick Insects by Henry at All, published in twenty twelve in Molecular Biology and Evolution. In this paper, the researchers look at six independently derived asexual lineages and related sexual species of the temma stick insects. So we're talking about closely related species, some that reproduce sexually and others that reproduce asexually. The idea here, of course, is the closeness. They're the related closely related to each other, so this would make the accumulation of deletarious mutations stand out more in the asexual species versus the sexual species, and that seems to be what they found. Quote we found signatures of increased coding mutation accumulation in all six asexual tymema and for each of the three analyzed genes, with three point six to thirteen point four fold higher rates in the asexuals as compared with the sexuals. They also point out that the coding mutations and the asexuals are likely associated with more strongly deletarious effects than the sexuals due to some specific molecular reasons that they outline in the article. They conclude that quote deletarious mutation accumulation can differentially affect sexual and asexual lineages and support the idea that deletarious mutation accumulation plays an important role in limiting the long term persistence of all female lineages.
Speaker 2: So, according to this, as we were alluding to earlier, a species that's mainly reproducing or totally reproducing asexually and just making clonal copies will will tend to one of the pressures acting against it will be the tendency to build up loads of mutations that are not helpful to survival.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, over time, worse mutations accumulate in the asexual species who do not diversify via sexual recombination. They don't purify through purging harmful mutations via sexual reproduction either, And in fact, the authors here specifically mentioned that sexual reproduction enhances the efficiency of purifying selection. This is fascinating. I'm in certain the authors are not arguing that this is the case, but it's obviously this is not like a smoking gun for the whole idea here, but it does seem to to give us some some some interesting evidence to back up some of these ideas, though of course also raising additional questions about you know, what exactly is going on. Now, there's a I've mentioned ted Ad before. There's a great ted AD video titled no Sex, No Problem, and I highly recommend checking that out. It does a nice overview of sort of the different the different strategies of asexual versus sexual reproduction, and and and briefly mentioned some of the concepts we're talking about here. Uh. One thing that I thought I thought was interesting in this videos it points out that pa fits are a great example of an organism that utilizes both sexual reproduction and asexual reproduction. Uh Uh, but depending on what the circumstances are. So with these particular eight, it's when it's springtime. They are a sexual reproducers. So it's like it's this is the these are the fat times, Like it's it's time to feed, it's time to reproduce. It's not time to worry too much about, you know, differentiating your product. It's about just getting product on the shelves. And so that's what they do. But then when autumn rolls around, then it's time for sexual reproduction. So it's like, Okay, this is our time to to think about the product. This is our time to to get experimental and see what we can do to change up our offering for the next season. So I thought that was just a really really interesting, like single species example that kind of sums up some of the benefits and some of the costs involved with asexual versus sexual reproduction, Like this is not the It's kind of like when you think about films in a series, for example, when it's time to make Wrong Turn two, you're not necessarily thinking about, well, how am I going to recreate? No, you don't recreate. You just do what worked the first time, accept more of it. This is the springtime of the Wrong Term franchise. Much later, when it's run out of gas, that's when you can you can sit down and think, Yeah, that's when you can be like, how do we reanalyze this, how do we reconceptualize Wrong Turn for a new audience? And maybe we can hire Matthew Modine to be in.
Speaker 2: It too, And it makes sense they both be part of your content strategy, you know. Sometimes you do reruns, sometimes you do a crossover event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I haven't actually seen a Wrong Turn movie, so please don't go out and see these movies just based on me casually mentioning them.
Speaker 2: Here Rob wrongly recommends the Wrong Turn franchise. I can't remember if I have or not. Is it is that the one there's like a guy in a muscle car who drives into the woods and then they meets some I don't know, some people and they get chased by dudes with hatchets.
Speaker 1: That sounds likely. I think that it's basically it's the Hills have Eyes except in the woods. And there's like a million of these films. It's one of there's something always kind of alarming to me when I realized there's like a whole franchise that has been around for years and years and I just not only have I not seen them, but I just have just a very surface level understanding of what they're about, you know, like I've maybe never even seen a trailer for one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a lot of series like that, and I understand what you mean, like it can be alarming, Like, oh, I didn't even see the first Purge. We're Unpurged nine now this is Yeah, I don't know what's going on. I kind of can't start at this point. I'm not going to see these movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Purge franchise, which I haven't seen any of those either, but I've read a bit more about them, so I'm kind of intrigued by the way it has survived thus far. It seems like it is a franchise that definitely has its springtime and autumn cycles of how it puts out new content. Like some of these seem like definite, like okay, it's time for their Purge, and then other times it's like, what can we do different with the Purge this time? And then it's like cut that we're doing a TV series, so just like tend the Purges and then we'll work about innovating after that.
Speaker 2: I like that you have read about the Purge. I haven't seen it, but you've done some research.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it feels like it has more of a you know, you got to stay on top of culture, so you got to read about the Purge, whereas somehow Wrong Turn movies maybe were less important culturally, or so it seems to me.
Speaker 2: Wrong Turn movies, i'd say, are less high concept because Purge has an elevator pitch right there, unless I misunderstand the idea is all crime is legal on one night.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, so, and I think it lends itself well to referencing. You can be like, oh wow, I tried to drive across town the other day and it was like the Purge out there. You know, that makes sense It's like you're saying something about how bad traffic was. But I don't know, wrong turn franchises maybe just a little harder to, you know, bring into your daily life.
Speaker 2: I guess some organisms also have more of an elevator pitch quality to them, though, you know, like the platypus. It is, it is a furry, poisonous.
Speaker 1: Duck, but it's also kind of high concept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, it's high concept.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good creature. Have we ever done an episode on the platypus? I can't recall. Of course, it's diversified enough that it's inevitably come up, at least in passing in any number of episodes.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we have. I just really I said, I said poisonous, but I think the correct word would be venomous.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll have to sort that out later.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, on on that note, I think we have we have reached mutational meltdown for this episode. But we'd love to hear from everyone out there. I mean, especially if there's anyone out there who who is in the field of evolutionary biology. Perhaps you have some additional feedback, additional examples, you'd like to bring to mind. Let us know. You know, this is a topic that that caught my attention, but I'd love to see some more data on it. I'd love to see some more studies of note. In the meantime, will remind you that Stuff Blow your Mind is primarily a science podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays we do listener mail, On Wednesdays we do a short form artifact or monster fact, and on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. That's usually where our discussions of films about mutants would wind up, but sometimes those mutations accumulate in the core episodes as well.
Speaker 2: Huge thanks to our audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Blow your Mind is production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.