Speaker 1: I couldn't be more excited to share something truly special with all you tea lovers out there. And even if you don't love tea, if you love refreshing, rejuvenating, refueling sodas that are good for you, listen to this Radi and I poured our hearts into creating Juny sparkling tea with adaptogens for you because we believe in nurturing your body and with every sip you'll experience calmness of mind, a refreshing vitality, and a burst of brightness to your day. Juni is infused with adaptogens that are amazing natural substances that act like superheroes for your body to help you adapt to stress and find balance in your busy life. Our superfive blend of these powerful ingredients include green tea, Ushwa, Ganda, acirolla cherry, and Lion's made mushroom and these may help boost your metabolism, give you a natural kick of caffeine, combat stress, pack your body with antioxidants, and stimulate brain function. Even better, you has zero sugar and only five calories per can. We believe in nurturing and energizing your body while enjoying a truly delicious and refreshing drink. So visit Drinkjuni dot com today to elevate your wellness journey and use code on Purpose to receive fifteen percent of your first order. That's drink Juni dot com and make sure you use the code on purpose.
Speaker 2: You can be yourself or you can be accepted, but not both at the same time. At some point you start wondering who the heck are we? Anyway, you know him as the best selling author I have a number of books for his work on.
Speaker 1: The relationship between addiction and childhood development. Please help me welcome doctor Gabor Mate.
Speaker 2: The top regrets of people who die before that time? You know what it is that they weren't themselves. They spent the whole life time to please others. That's the top regret.
Speaker 1: How do we fix broken people? Before we jump into this episode, I'd like to invite you to join this community to hear more interviews that will help you become happier, healthier, and more healed. All I want you to do is click on the subscribe button. I love your support. It's incredible to see all your comments and we're just getting started. I can't wait to go on this journey with you. Thank you so much for subscribing. It means the world to me.
Speaker 2: The number one health and wellness podcast.
Speaker 1: Jay Sheidy, Jay Sheddy see nsy Holy sid Hey everyone, Welcome back to On Purpose, the number one health and wellness podcast in the world. Thanks to each and every one of you that keep coming back every week to become happier, healthier and more healed. Now, today's guest is someone that you absolutely adore, that you love, that I admire so deeply. I feel honored whenever I'm in his presence. I'm a huge fan and follower of his work, and I would also like to say that we've been developing a little bit of a friendship behind the scenes, which I'm very grateful for as well. I'm speaking about the one and only Gable Matte, who spent twenty years working in family practice and palliative care experience and worked for over a decade in Vancouver's downtown East Side with patients challenged by drug addiction and mental illness. Gabor is the best selling author of five books, including the award winning in the Realm of Hungry Ghosts Close Encounters with Addiction. Gabor is an internationally renowned speaker, highly sought after for his expertise on addiction, trauma, childhood development, and the relationship of stress and illness. And Gabo's latest book, The Myth of Normal Trauma, Illness and Healing in a Toxic Culture, remains a best seller globally, and I highly recommend you get a copy if you haven't already. If you have a copy, grab one for a friend. And really this would be my recommendation. Make it your book club pick, for your local book club, for your online book club. Make it a book that you discuss and share. Please welcome back to on Purpose Gabble. Let's say thank you for being here. I am fondly remembering not only the last interview we had, but the last time we were together in Vancouver, when I saw you just before my show and we spent a few moments together, and I genuinely look forward to seeing you whenever I can, so thank you for doing this well.
Speaker 2: It's such a pleasure. And I remember bicycling down to your hotel and I wasn't in a great state, and we talked and that helped the grant me. And then I think it was my idea that we should meditate together, and we did and I was just so helpful for me. So it's just good to sit with you in any capacity.
Speaker 1: Now. Well, I remember I walked away from last time's conversation both times, the first time we recorded and second time from that. And I always feel you create tiny mini shifts in my mindset through very subtle points you make. And it takes someone who's deeply studied their subject, not just theoretically but practically to be able to do that. So thank you. But let's dive straight in. I want to ask you this question. I've been I've had the burning desire to ask you this question. So I read this quote the other day and it says it's by Frederick Douglas and the quote goes, it is easier to build strong children than fix broken men. And my question was, how do we fix broken people?
Speaker 2: There's a wonderful song by Leonard Khne called come Heal or come Healing, so it begins, or gather up the brokenness, bring it to me now, the fagance of those promises you never dared to vow. And then he says, at some point, and here's the answer to your question or troubledness concealing and undivided love the heart beneath his teaching to the broken heart above. So this poet prophet, poet visionary thing, we have two hearts. There's the brokenness above and the underdighted love that's below, that's underneath. He's saying, there's the broken heart above, and then there's a heart beneath that teaching the broken heart. So that implied in that is that nobody's broken. Then underneath the brokenness there's wholeness. So and that's not only Leonard Cohen. Any spiritual teachers you know will tell you the same thing. So it's not a matter of fixing anything broken, it's it's finding the wholeness that's underneath the brokenness. Now, Douglas is totally right. Studies have shown that if you get children who suffer for the first three years and then things get okay for them, they do much worse than those children who are well treated and have a good life for three years and then everything goes to pieces. The latter group does much better because those words are it says the child is the father of the man, so that what happens early in life shapes our worldview and our sense of ourselves. So yes, Douglas is totally right. But ultimately, when I look at people, whether they agree with me or don't, or whether they are suffering or not, or whether they even when they do terrible things, there's a wholeness. There's undivided love underneath it isn't there. There's a shore right now in Los Angeles by somebody who's in a death row prison in Texas and his name's Obi, sentenced to death and he's on death row, has been for the last twenty years a while these appeals wind their slow way through the courts. If he wins the appeal, the best think you can hope for is life without parole. And he's in love with life. He's had a transformation, he's dealt with his addiction, he's dealt with his brokenness. He learned meditation. He's an artist, and some of his artists being shown in Los Angeles right now. Unfortunately I can't go see it because it's only open certain days a week and I'm not here. But there's somebody who came from a totally broken childhood and found a kind of presence. If you saw him, you and I could only envy the kind of presence and at least to speak for myself, can't speak for the kind of presence and the kind of engagement life that he's got in the death ro a person, Well, if that can be healed, if that brokenness, the wholeness can be under discovered underneath, there's not be broken.
Speaker 1: Very well said, I would agree to. At the core, at the root of the essence, none of us are broken. Yeah, and our engagement with that which is broken and imperfect often rubs off on us. But what would you say the most detrimental experiences that people have in those three years that end up creating horrific ripple effects long term.
Speaker 2: Anything that makes them disconnects from themselves, from their true cels, from their gut feelings, from their connection to their bodies. Anything that deprives them of hope. Now, I remember taking part in a retreat once. It's called an enlightenment intensive, where you do intensive spiritual work. I won't go into the details, but please go into the detail. Well, it's it's diads and two people at one time, sitting across from each other in the meditation posture, putting a question to one another. First, one person ask the other one listens and then the search places for four times, and then you get a different partner and the question is, tell me who you are. The original question comes from Ramana Maharshi, who's work, I'm sure you know, one of these Indian Rishis and gurus, who just asked everybody, tell me who you are. And the idea is that by emptying your mind and saying whatever is in your head, clearing out the mental space, the direct experience of who you are will come to you, a direct experience, not a thought, not an emotion, but a direct experience. No, I never had the direct experience, and I was embittered at the end, and that the very last diad person said tell me who you are? And I just started shaking and the whole body was tinging, And instead of paying attention to that, I plunged into bitterness, and I said, is it my fault? They turned off the light in me. They killed the light in me so early, so I truly believed that the light in me had been killed by what had happened to me as an infant. And for much of my life even I had to become a healer. And even after I became a healer that was respected by so many people. I thought I could help heal everybody else, but I can't be healed myself. So to go back to your question, whatever early experience kills you of faith in your own possibilities, that's what's so damaging. And for that, it could be evidence or experiences of severe abuse. It could also be a very sensitive child who the world doesn't see for who they are, who the world doesn't permit to express themselves, so they shut off from themselves, you know, to be accepted by the world. So any early experience that deprives you of yourself, and that happens to a lot of us. So trauma is a huge specter. But anything that breaks your connection to yourself and you and your genuine, not your false egoic belief in yourself, but your genuine belief in your wholeness, that'll do it, and that happens to a lot of us.
Speaker 1: I've always personally experienced it as the volume of my inner voice. Yes, so I found that at different points in my life my inner voice was extremely loud and clear, and not only could I hear it clearly, but the direction was clear. And then I've had moments in my life where as you're referencing disconnected from yourself. Yeah, that voice is extremely quiet, maybe even non existent, or it's screaming out for help.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, the voice of your and yourself is very quiet, correct, it can. Well, the Bible talks about the small still voice. They actually call it that, a small still voice, and it really takes attention to notice it because there's so much noise in the world, and so much noise in her heads, and there's all these other voices that are much louder, you know. The singer Sheryl Crowe, she had breast cancer and she said afterwards, and this could be and I quote this in The Metal Normal and it could be right out of my own work. But she doesn't know about me. She just came to this awareness because the disease start or something. And she said that she always used to be serving other people and trying to meet other people's emotional needs, and the breast cancer. Now she's actually listening to herself. And she says, there used to be these loud voices inside myself telling me that whatever I did wasn't right enough. She says, now I've still those voices, you know. So on the one hand, the voices of self disregard and self loathing or self seduction are very loud, and that two voice, for most of us is just so quiet, so it takes a lot of attention to notice it.
Speaker 1: A lot of what you're saying today, we experience it as this idea of people pleasing, shape shifting, mediating, wanting to make peace, often in our families, in our friend circle, all of which are can be good, noble things, but often we find ourselves disconnected from ourselves trying to play these different roles. Not only does that seem to be stemming from a form of trauma of being disconnected from yourself early on, what steps can one take to regain one's connection with oneself so that we're not running around shape shifting people pleasing, but at the same time have genuine connections with others.
Speaker 2: In the book, we talk about the tension between authenticity and attachment, and authenticity being connected to our true selves, our God feelings, which is necessary. Nature gave us a good feelings for good reason and give us the emotions for a good reason. Attachment is a need to belong, and if it can be authentic and belong, that's ideal. So if if you can find relationships. I mean, you can be our true selves and be accepted and loved. That's ideal, but a lot of our families of origin and our parents just couldn't give that to us. They had their own limitations. They couldn't see us, so they don't traumise like I did as a parent. And so kids then get the message that you can be yourself or you can be accepted, but not both at the same time. At which point, for sure, survival stay, for sure, survival's sake, we go with, well, whatever we need to do to get accepted, and then we get that message reinforced in school and on the playground and with our pa years and at our work, and at some point start wondering, who the heck are we anyway? And whose life am I leading? Anyway? Well, how to get back to it? Here's the question prior to your awakening, and I'm sure that for your awakening was probably both a series of unique events, but also it was a long term process. For me, it was mostly process rather than distinct experiences. But say, prior to awakening, did you sometimes know that you're not being authentic? Because I sure did. I didn't know why I was choosing not to be authentic. If I wasn't even choosing it, I just wasn't. But something you meannew Well, here's the question. Who inside us knows only that authentic self that's always there. And so I say to people, don't try and look for the authentic self. Just notice when you're not authentic. Just notice when you're not saying no, when there's a note that wants to be said. Just see what you're not saying yes, but there's a yes that wants to be said inside you. Notice the impact on you when you don't assert your true self. How do you feel after its resentful or shamed or tired or whatever. So notice the difficulty being authentic and ask yourself, well, what is the belief that I'm caring that? If I'm authentic, then what? So in other words, all that noticing, what does that do? Who's the one that's noticing it is the authentic self. So just by asking those questions, you're strengthening, you're empowering that authentic self. And just going back to that, the heart underneath is teaching booken art. Above all that wholeness is teaching the disconnection. It's always there.
Speaker 1: I find that in between those two hearts and in between those two layers, there's almost a layer of guilt and shame. So when we go against our authentic self, we do it because we're scared of whether we feel guilty or we may feel shame or fear. And if we act authentically, we then sometimes feel guilt for acting that way because of how it impacts others, or shame and fear. So walk me through the construction of fear and guilt and shame, which seemed to be such like if you thought about the emotions we all experience most on a daily basis, I mean, let me ask you that, actually, what do you think? What are the emotions that you believe people are experiencing most often, most repetitively on a daily base says I.
Speaker 2: Was going to give you an easy answer to the shame guild fair question, but then you threw a curveball.
Speaker 1: Sorry I went off. I following I'm following my authentic voice.
Speaker 2: No, I love I love curveballs. I just have to think about it. So what are the emotions people experience? My stuff? And I think anger, rage, and resentment. I think there's a lot more of that than we acknowledged, not often unacknowledged, experienced but not acknowledged for fear of consequences. I think also love, that'd be also enough often afraid to acknowledge because it's so vulnerable. And we might see, if I want you to love me, but I'm afraid to be vulnerable, then I may try to impress you, which may be the closest thing I can get, so that you'll pay attention to me, you know, so that emotions shame, I think is very frequent for a lot of people. That has to do with trauma more than anything else. Fear is something that people experience a lot, much more than they can admit to themselves. Joy people are not so afraid of it. Well you know what that might be. Joy has been very difficult for me in my life, and I think some point of actually some part of me used to say, what right do I have to feel joy when there's so much suffering in the world. Now that's logically a good question, but it's a nonsensical question why Because there is a lot of suffering in the world and there's a lot of joy in the world, and the one doesn't negate the other. So for me it was like, what right do I have to experience joy when my grandparents died in ashoals. I quote this in the Myth of Normal. My friend and colleague and teacher Besil Vanderkolck, psychiatrist who wrote the book The Body Keeps the Score. He said to me, once go or you don't have to drag our shirts around with you all the time, which means that you don't have to allow not to forget about our shirts, but not to let that control your consciousness, which means you do have the right to feel joy. You do have the right to be happy even as the world suffers, not because the world suffers, and not ignoring the suffering the world. But there's no contradiction.
Speaker 1: Let's dive into some of those emotions because and I love how they were easy answers for you and then the curve world. But I think, as you said, fear is a repetitive daily emotion thought for so many people, a lack of safety emotionally, mentally, physically, on so many levels, we feel unsafe. Yeah, how does one process and heal through and with fear? Because it seems to be so consistent.
Speaker 2: The way that fear shows up in most people's lives is in the form of anxiety. See, we are wired for fear. There's a great nurse psychologist died a few years ago before his time, doctor Panksep, and he identified all these emotional circuits that we share with other mammals, and fear was one of them. We have a circuity for fear, a good thing. We're not afraid we die are there in nature, you know. But that can become anxiety. So let me tell you a story. I want to show you. There's bracelet that I'm arning.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful, and I never thought at everybody wearing a bracelet, but I was given this just shortly after the time that I met you. And this comes from a place called Haida Guai and either Guay's Islands in northern British Columbia where I live. There used to be known as well. They used to be known as Hideaguai them at the British colonization they became known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. That's really fun because I was speaking in London once actually a couple of months ago, to an audience of twenty one hundred Britishers, and I said, does anybody in this audience know who the hell Queen Charlotte was. Nobody knew. Apparently she was some German princess who married King George the Matt King George who was King of England when America became independent anyway, so the British came, they named it Queen Charlotte Islands. All of a sudden, these indigenous people, whose ancestors have been living there for something like thirteen thousand years, all of a sudden they were living on not on high to Go anymore, which means land of the people, but they were living in Queen Charlotteland. So I was giving a trauma workshop there for hider people. That's when they gave me this bracelet. And the meaning of the carvings means these words matter. At the end of two days, almost at the very end of the trauma workshop for the height of people, a woman in her seventies at least comes up and she said, I used to speak perfect Haida until I was five years old, and then I forgot my language. And even when I've gone back to school as an adult to learn my native language, the words don't stick in my brain. And I said, what happened to you, Well, what happened to her. She went to the residential school. Residential schools over the Indiandous kids were forced to go run by the churches mostly, and she dared speak her native language, and the teacher took a stick and beat her mercilessly in her body and her head and her limbs. Oh, native kids. In my own lifetime is when I was a teenager in British Columbia, a four year old Indian they're not Indian, Indigenous Canadian, a First Nation kid spoke their own language. That have a pin stuck in her tongue, so they literally as I said to her, look, you're losing your language. Was your organism protecting you. It was your fear system telling you that if you do that again, you know you might not survive. Because she hated herself for it. She hated herself, hate herself for the anxiety. She hated herself because I was so passive, she said. I said that passivity was your organism's only way to protect you, because had you fought back, or had you asserted your right to speak your language, much worse would happened to you. So that fear protected her. But it translates into anxiety where it's no longer fear of a specific thing, it's just fear of the world. Now the rate of anxiety, so we have a system for fear. And the greatest danger to a young child is the loss of relationship, because without relationship can't survive. I mean, we're protected, we're defenseless, we're vulnerable, we'll helpless. So the loss of protective adults is the biggest fear that the child has. In this society, a lot of parents can't be there for their kids the way they need to be, the way they want to be because of the stresses economic, social, racial, pot goal, whatever they're going through, just the nature of the disconnected culture that we live in. Parents are not there for the kids the way the children need to be. The fear becomes chronic anxiety that we're never safe, and now that becomes part of our sense of self. So what you say, but this lack of emotional safety, what it actually is is that early childhood fear is when the child is afraid, they will ask for help, but when repeatedly the help is not available and the adults don't come because they're too busy to stress to traumatize, to be occupied, to downtrodden, or too propagandized by parenting experts to ignore their kids' cries. That ty gets the message that there's no safety, So that original fear that's meant to result in a cry for help not becomes chronic anxiety. So fear not dealt with gets ingrained as anxiety. It's no longer going but anything specific, it's just being in the world is a source of fear, but you shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: It almost feels like, as you were saying, that what should result in a cry for help externally, yeah, becomes a perpetual cry internally without a feeling of being able to help yourself exactly.
Speaker 2: You know that Beatles song help Help, I need somebody, not just anybody, and John Nnen sings, and he was a very traumatized child, as you know, whose father left him when he was born, and whose mother abandoned him a few years later. And then he sings in his song, when I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's helping anyway. But now those days are gone. I'm not so self assured. So I opened the door, you know, please help me. No that's not the way it was. When he was younger, so much younger than today. He needed everybody's help in every way, but because the help wasn't available, he had to shut himself down and make himself so like a self created, self sufficient person. Only later on as they realized, you know what, I actually do need help. But he was never that person who didn't need He just believed they didn't need help. Why did believe that as an adaptation because the help wasn't there. So so many of us. One of the biggest things that people are faith to do is to ask for help when I get workshops, and I myself as my automatic reaction when somebody offers help, Oh no, it's okay, I'm fine, even though the help would be very welcome.
Speaker 1: You know, how do you find that? Because I feel so many people today have someone in their life who's closed off from help. It might be a partner, it might be a child, it might be a parent. We all have someone in our life who, in our limited capacity but a little bit of awakening, we can notice that someone is really closed and won't receive help. How do you help someone who is rejecting help or not accepting that they may need it because of the position they've experienced based on what you just said.
Speaker 2: I myself used to believe I was one of these people. I actually used to believe. Can you believe this? I used to believe that every bils could be stressed, but I couldn't be. I used to feel like that too, that I can help. I can help everybody, but I don't need help myself, you know. Yeah, So how do you help something that you help them by accepting them That's what it is for them right now, and not trying to push your help on them, because when you try and push up, you're just going to get resistance. So you if you can handle it, you can be around them and be open, but not insist or try and improve to them that they need help. Life will teach them. When I meditate these days, I do the Compassion meditation, which says, you know that may I face and overcome all of life's inevitable setbacks and challenges and failures with patients understanding strength and determination, and may I rise above them with compassion and morality and integrity and wisdom and mindfulness. If we can stare on people compassionately without trying to prove to them that they need something that they don't believe they need. Then at some point life will being a challenge that may prove to them that, yeah, they need help. And if you're still around open, then they'll reach out to you if you try and convince them, bring them over, prove it to them, force it on them. And I believe I've done that. I've done it with my own family, I've done it with others. You just invade resistance. So the best way to help people is not to help unless the help is invited.
Speaker 1: And that's almost what most of us don't want to hear because we want to again, going back to our earlier point, we want to fix and solve and make everything nice and perfect right now. Yeah, And I guess that is also a form of trauma. There's something there as to why we want that.
Speaker 2: And when I write about people who are prone for chronic illness, it's often people like autoimmune disease, for example. It's often and this is not just finding. Other researchers have found this as well, that there are people who tend to ignore their own emotional needs and are compulsively consumed with the emotional needs of others. And they tend to believe that in a metanormal I quote an obituary and obituaries are really interesting to me because they often highlight as laudable qualities the very things that I think contributed to a person's death.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a book written by an Australian nurse twelve years ago now called The Top Five Regrets of Dying People. And she, like I used to work in pallid of care, working with dying people, as you mentioned in the introduction, and for seven years I was the medical coordinator of Big palliad of Care and the Dying People at Vancouver Hospital. And this nurse, also a poet of care health worker, wrote book the Top five Regret, the top regrets of people who died before that time. You know what it is that they weren't themselves, That they spent a whole life trying to please others. That's the top regret. Now, this this obituary, you have to believe that I'm not making us up. This is a physician in Canada with that age seventy two of cancer, and the obituary says Sydney and his mother had an incredibly special relationship a bomb that was apparent in all aspects of their lives until her death. As a married man with young children, Sydney would have dinner with his parents every day. Then he would go home as his wife, Roslyn and their three children waited for him with another, yet another dinner to eat and to enjoy. Not wanting to disappoint either woman in his life, Sydney kept eating two dinners a day for years until gradual Waitkane began to raise suspicions. This man suffered from two fatal beliefs. And when I say fatal, I mean fatal. One is that he was responsible for other people feel and the other is that he was never disappointing anybody. Now, so many of us go through life like that. You know, no, actually, I'm not responsible for how you feel. I'm responsible for how I act, for how I speak, what I do, and what I say. I'm not responsible for how you feel. In response, when you were in Vancouver and you contacted me, and if I hadn't feel like seeing you, but I hadn't slept all night, say because I was up with some other duty or looking after somebody, and if I had said yes and still come, make you for coffee because I had fear of disappointing you, and because I didn't want you to feel disappointed. What would that have meant for me? It would have meant for me more fatigue, and probably I would have resented the hell out of you, even though I was pretending to be that. You know, you know, thank God and you. On the other hand, if I said no, if I was authentic and I said, look, Jerry, I'm sorry, I'm so glad you're in town, but I was up all night, I just you know, now, if he had felt hurt and perceived yourself as rejected by me, that's not on me. That's your interpretation of my behavior. Nothing do with me. I just said what was true for me. So but that fear of disappointment. Had I been afraid to disappoint you because I don't want to lose your friendship, and I don't want to lose your friendship. But if I believe that, if I'm authentic, I'm going to lose Jay's friendship. That's going to keep me in authentic. And you never know me, and even when you like me, there's still going to be a fear in me. What if he really knew me, you know, so it doesn't even work. But we're we're so afraid of disappointing others.
Speaker 1: And then one day I may feel we have an authentic friendship because I can notice that you're not being fully yourself. Yeah, and then then I can even feel that way you can let me down even by trying to be everything I wanted you to be. That's what I find so fascinating in life, is that you can let someone down even after becoming everything you thought they wanted you to be.
Speaker 2: Well, exactly, Well, go back to the example of coffee. If I said to you, Jay, I'm sorry I can't do today, which honors you more. If I believe that you're so we can vulnerable that you can't handle or no, or if I honor you by telling you the truth, which shows you more respect.
Speaker 1: Definitely there, so that.
Speaker 2: I can be everything you want to be and still not honor you.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, it's fascinating how we can be so opposite in our perceptions and viewpoints. Yeah, And a big part of that comes also. We talked about fear, but I wanted to talk about guilt because.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, guilt, guilt. We don't want to say about guilt.
Speaker 1: No, well, I want to hear from you about guilt. But when I think of guilt, I think it's such a strong driver for so many actions in the world today. It is we're guilty of something in the past, and therefore we do something strange in the future of the present that we wouldn't have done. We feel guilty right now, and that makes us say something that we don't mean, or something that we exactly. How do we untrap ourselves from the trappings of guilt?
Speaker 2: Great, Let me tell you a story so you know. In the Bible, the Naild Testament, Moses is a Hebrew boy born at a time when the Pharaohs soothsayers declare that some Hebrew male born or his time will rise up and challenge the pharaoh. So they decide to kill all the Hebrew newborns by throwing him into the Nile River. But Moses's mother rather than throws the boy into the river, but in a ricker basket, and so Moses flows down the river and he gets plucked out of the water by the pharaoh's daughter, who adopts him. So this Hebrew infant is adopted into the royal court feel like a prince that's why Walt Disney could make a film called Prince of Egypt. You know, all this happened just so Walt Disney could make a film. In any case, there's an extra biblical legend. It's not in the Bible, but it's an ancient legend. You think, what the heck is this guy talking about? It just asked them about guilt and he's talking about No.
Speaker 1: I love this. This is my favorite type of ansense, is when I'm curious and I'm following because I don't know where.
Speaker 2: You're going, Okay, but believe It'm not going to come back to believe.
Speaker 1: I believe, I trust you.
Speaker 2: So the legend is that Moses is a toddler and the pair soothsayers divine that he might be a danger, which eventually he proves to be, so they decide to put him to a test. They put in front of him too sparkling objects. I don't know if you remember, but in the Bible, Moses is the speech impediment and it's his brother Aaron who has to do the speaking for him. How does he get the speech impediment? Well, the pharaoh soothsayers say, well, this point needs to be examined. And they decide to put him to a test, and they put in front of him two sparkling objects. One of them is a royal diamond of Egypt and the other is a sparkling member of glowing member of coal. Now, if Moses reaches for the royal diamond, it means he's got oil ambition and he needs to be killed. So there is this little toddler delightedly looking at these two scintillating objects, and his hand starts moving towards the diamond, at which point, standing behind him is Gabrielle. Gabrielle, which is the Hebrew version of my name Gabor, by the way, and grabs his hand and takes it away from the diamond and puts it to the coal. Now, Moses, finishing the motion that kids will do, picks up the coal, puts it to his mouth and burns his lips. And that's how he develops suspicion impediment. Now here's my question to you, is the angel Moses's friend or enemy?
Speaker 1: He's trying to be a friend, but.
Speaker 2: But he heard him had to hurt him to save his life. Right, he's a friend guilt is that kind of a friend? Okay, Guilt comes on in early childhood, not because you did anything wrong, but because your sense that whatever you did displeased your parents and you can't afford to do that. So there needs to be an internal mechanism that keeps you close to your parents. That says, for example, if you're authentic and you're sure your anger, you won't be accepted. The better will be an internal mechanism to keep you on track. So guilt comes along as this friend that says, no, take your hand away from where you want to put it. You have to stifle your real desires. So guild comes along to maintain a relationship, not because you did anything wrong, because the two year old, three year old they can't do anything wrong by definition. That may those things that are not good, and they need to be taught not to do it. But it's not wrong. There's no guilt there. There's no I'm going to do something evil here, you know. So guilt is totally not appropriate, and there's ways of teaching children without guilt. But guilt comes along to keep you in mind. Now is that you're friend or your enemy. It's your friend, but it's hurting you. The problem with these early friends and I call them sometime. People don't like this word, but I say call them stupid friends. The stupid that comes in the fact they don't realize that you're an adult. You can make your own decisions now and look after yourself. You don't need to be controlled by their advice that was meant for a two year old. So that's where they they're just not educable. So when I say to people these days now, most people who feel guilty when they act a little bit on their own behalf. I say to them, for God's sakes, have a party. Celebrate I've done something for myself. You call your friends, you know, have a celebration that you were so quote unquote selfish, Like Sheryl Crow said, all these voices that always told her that she has to ignore herself and serve others. Now she doesn't listen to them anymore. That's the guilt. So you know, recognize the guilt and say hello to it, thank it. Now. Is there such a thing as health remorse? Yeah. If I promise to meet you for coffee and I don't show up because I find something more pleasurable to do, I should feel some remorse. So remorse is about specific that's healthy remorse. You know, if I break my word, if I hurt somebody where I you know, I should feel remorse. But that's not a long term thing. It's not the chronic guilt that you're talking about. That's not something what would happened a long time ago and now it limits me or controls me. It's a healthy remorse for some specific thing that's different from guilt. Guilt is this old friend that's along outlived their usefulness.
Speaker 1: And the challenge is that we still treat it like a today friend exactly. It's almost like we're so scared of breaking that dependence as well. We thinking, well, I feel guilty that I'm not around, so I'll stay around this individual, this group of people, whatever it may be. But there's a part of me that wants to depend on them as well, and I don't want to break free completely as well, because I don't even know what that looks like. Like you're saying, like, as an adult, you can take care of yourself, you can walk your own path, but you're actually scared of doing that, and so you accept the pain of guilt because it allows for dependence.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good point that I often say to people you're going to have pain one way to the other. Yes, which pain would you like? Because sometimes in life there's no pain for your options. You can have the pain of suppressing yourself for the sake of being accepted, or you can have the pain sometimes of being yourself and not being accepted. You can have pain one way the other. Now I have my own bias that the pain of not being ourselves ultimately it is about far the greater and the more chronic pain, and that the pain, the short term pain of being ourselves brings liberation and genuine independence, which means I can have genuinely independent the relationships with other people who are willing to accept me as independent.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: But in the short term, which pain do you want? There's no pain for you options.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. That you reminded me of this beautiful idea that Tikna Han shares, that there's familiar pain and unfamiliar pain, and these are our two choices and the challenges. We're so scared of unfamiliar pain that we would rather choose familiar pain and go through the same pain because we know how it's going to feel exactly, and we think, or at least I'm aware at least I am conscious of how bad it can get exactly. But hearing you speak being independent or being dependent both as pain, Yeah, but the pain of dependence far out weighs the pain of independence.
Speaker 2: Well, just put a bit of a nuance in there, ultimately, I mean, I mean, technadon also talk about inter being. How we all in there are so in a certain sense we do depend on each other, you know, and that's okay. The question is to be dependent in each other authentically or inauthentically. The fact that I'm independent doesn't mean that I'm not going to reach out for help or that I won't offer it, But it does mean that I will be honest with you, and I won't pretend to be somebody else that I'm not so that you will accept me. You know. So there's anything interesting word difference between two phrases that sound very familiar. One it's called individualism, and it's it's called individuation. Now, rugget. In individualisms, I don't need anybody, and you know, me against the world. And this is the North American capitalist ideal, you know. Well, human beings never would have evolved. It would been those rugged individualists, the rugged individus wouldn't last more than one generation. But individuated means that we can be ourselves, truly ourselves in genuine relationship with others, not rugged individualists. I mean, the most boring people are rugged individualists because they all look the same, you know. So you can be individuated and be truly yourself and still belong and still vulnerably desire human contact, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can agree more. I think there's a lot of rhetoric around we don't care what anyone else thinks and it doesn't matter, and you just do your own thing. And it's almost that's almost a bitter response as well, because we do have to care what people think. If we lived in a world where you didn't care what anyone thought, yeah, it wouldn't be that healthy because we would do all sorts of obscene, horrific things.
Speaker 2: I trace it differently.
Speaker 1: I'm intrigued, Yeah, I'm intrigued.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't care what anybody thinks, but I do care what I do and how it affects other people, you know. So there's another spiritual teacher, Gunner Rotana. He wrote a book called Mindfulness in Plain English, which I've just been working through recently, and he's talking about a higher morality that comes from being true to yourself as any touch and he says, well, you don't need rules anymore because it's like Saint Augustine said, love and do it You're will. So if you actually love the world, you don't have to give yourself rules because that love will dictate it how you like towards other people, I can't worry about what other people think. Look, if I worry about other people think, I would not have written any of my books because each of my books challenged the reigning orthodoxy, insane medicine, you know, or whether it's or under tention, devastated, or stress and disease or addictions. And if I'm write a book, I'm saying something that I'm not saying that I invented it, but that I've come to understand and fervently believe and want to communicate. But I can't worry about what other people think. Or when I make a political statement, I'm responsible for what I say, how I say it, but not what other people think about it. But that doesn't mean that I ignore other people's experience. So as long as my intention is purely to speak a truth, and I do so with integrity. I can't worry about what other people think. I can't. But that doesn't mean I'm going to go around just doing terrible things because I don't care what you think as long as I convinced that what I do. If I've done that kind of inventory, and I haven't always, but if I do an inventory, But well, what is my intention here?
Speaker 1: Is there a hierarchy of pain or hierarchy of trauma?
Speaker 2: What do you mean bierarchy?
Speaker 1: I feel like people feel like, well, this trauma is worse than this trauma, and this trauma is better than this one. We often hear about that as a conversation. Is that accurate?
Speaker 2: So one could say so because if you look at a child who says sexually abused as opposed to a child whose parents just can't honor and accept and validate their emotions, Well, my god, you're talking about two different set of experiences, so that there's certainly horrific things happen to some people to wound them, and other people suffer wounds in a very different way. But the question is is it useful to make that distinction. It's one thing to recognize it, but let's say, let's say you're my four year old. You come to me and you say that I'm afraid of so and so, and I say, snap out of it. Only cards are afraid and to get out of here and take care of yourself. And then you went to your mom. I said, I tried to talk to daddy. But you know, would it be helpful for your meta to say, oh, snap out of it. Think all the kids that are being sexually abused, Think all the starving kids, think all the kids that are being bombed. What are you complaining about? Would that be helpful? So that it's not a helpful game to play, I don't compare people's traumas. Traumas simply means a wound, and people are wounded in all kinds of ways. When I try to help people, the least helpful thing I can do is to tell them that somebody else's trauma is much worse than mine, much worse than yours. So objectively, yes, practically it's not a helpful distinction. People are wounded, and you have to tend to the wound whatever it is. You know, if you came to me with a cut on your arm, and he asked me to stitch it up. It wouldn't be helpful for me to tell you that, oh, what are you worried about? There's people with broken irons out there or people broken So no, it's not a helpful thing to engage in, even though there's truth in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What's really fascinating every time I speak to you, girl boy, is that there's such nuance subtlety. And there's a quote that I want to share with you to get your thoughts on. I want to bring it up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this quote is from f Scott Fitzgerald, Okay, who famously wrote the test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless, yet be determined to make them otherwise.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So that's brilliant. And what Fitzgerald is talking about there is what it's called integrative intelligence. And integrative intelligence is when you can say, on the one hand, on the hand, both things can be true, and I need to somehow come to some conclusion about them without rejecting the one truth or the other. Now, little kids are totally incapable of integrative intelligence. So a three year will either say I hate you, daddy or I love you daddy. But they can't say I love you daddy, but I'm very angry with you, which is really what's going on. It's either a love or hate. So integrative thinking is a capacity of intellectual and actually emotional naturation. A lot of people are completely incapable of it. It's one or the other. You talked about the the deadness of the heart and the moral apathy, and all my life since I've been conscious of the horrors, including and beginning with the Holocaust that nearly killed me and killed my grandparents, nearly killed my parents and I. When I became conscious of that at age eleven, what happened was that my parents had a book on a high shelf they didn't want me to read. And when I was eleven, I climbed up on a chair and it was a book called The Scourge of the Swastika, and it was about it was the first book about the Nancy horrors. And I saw photographs and I read the story, and for years jay afterwards, literally every day in my head would be busy. I'd spin say, how is this possible. How is the heart not broken every day? I'm asking you now because I'm wrestling with this question. I suppose I have an intellectual answer, or more a point maybe along the lines of fish what Schell says, how can her heart be broken and not be broken at the same time? Because I think both are necessary.
Speaker 1: And I find everything all across the world that occurs. I feel like people's hearts are broken, but they break an ache for different things. And I think that that's why the words of Fitzgerald resonate so strongly with me. Yeah, because just to repeat those last two lines, one should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless, yet be determined to make them otherwise. And you know what you're saying. It's how I was trained in the monastery as well. The goal was always how can you be a helper? How can you be a server? How can you be useful? How can you help heal? Like that's what you look for in moments of tragedy, whatever they may be. And I just think that not much unites us on the heart level as equals across the world. I don't think there's many things that we look to globally as the human race, as we were once referred to a call to that creates a sense of connectivity and there's genuine fear that makes us feel well, if my break my heart breaks for this, then what if what will happen to my heart?
Speaker 2: That the grief might be too much to bear?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Or not? That I mean more so that well, if my heart breaks for this event, some part of it is yes, there's too much to think about, for sure, it's overwhelming. And then the other side is, well, if it breaks for this, then is it allowed to break for that as well? You know, this idea of holding two opposing ideas seems to be such a need in the world, like just generally, like even the belief of I have to work on my health, that I'm happy, I'm alive, Like these are two opposing ideas, Like we're not looking at it from I'm unhealthy or I'm healthy.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's interesting there is that when I was working palliative care, sometimes people would say to me, and this is amazing, I don't recommend it, but they'd say they'd be dying, they actually be dying. They'd have a couple of weeks left. They say, Dog, I don't explain this exactly. But this disease is the best thing that have happened to me. I don't wish it on anybody. But what were they talking about? Now? There's a guy according the mythal normal who wrote a book called Blessed with a Brain tumor. Blessed with a brain tumor. You're Australian guy who was dying. Was a brain tumor, they'd have surgery, did accept treatment. He also had a spiritual transformation, has lived longer than his prognosis. I don't know what his current status is, but we're a book called Blessed with the Brain Tumor. And by the way, he developed a brain tumor that is acted the same spot that used to point at with an imaginary gun to shoot himself in the head when he was thinking of suicide. I said, what do you mean Blessed with the brain tumor? And he said, well, knowing that I'm going to die, but that I might means that every moment is precious. He says. That means I'm when I'm talking to you or anybody else, I'm fully aware that this may be the last conversation we'll ever have. That means that every moment is absolutely precious. I've never been so engaged with life, and that's what people meant. And so that even the disease, that war was going to take the lives, they'd say, And why because the disease taught them to be authentic for the first time in their lives, and they found out that was much more precious than anything else. No, that's not a bargain i'd recommend to anything. I'm just telling you that I've witnessed it, and it's quite astonishing how many people do find authenticity. To go back to our previous theme, they value that over anything else, over even longevity. Now most of us would probably run the other way. Again, I'm not recommending it. I'm just saying I've seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's always those opposing ideas, that feeling of I'm good and I want to be better. Yeah, I'm a good husband or a good dad, or a good mom, or I'm a good whatever. At the same time, I'm not good enough, like you know whatever. It may be. Not that that's negative, but the idea of I know I can do more and I want to do more. So they said, you need for this dichotomy almost to be held well, is there, Well, the ability to hold those two opposing ideas is needed, right, Like, because you don't. I don't want to live in a world where I think I'm perfectly healthy, everything's amazing, because then I may miss certain challenges. And I also don't want to live in the other world of oh my god, like everything's falling apart and I'm dying every second of the day.
Speaker 2: But what if we just looked at it in the unitary way, Then it's a matter of growth that I'm not as fully grown as I might be. But there's nothing wrong. Yes, yes, so you know I'll be eighty. You know, let me talk about you say eighty eighty. Yeah, I know it's a big number.
Speaker 1: You're doing great, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well do the numbers. I was born in forty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always forget. Yeah, I forget when I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there's this expression. I've been thinking about this recently, this expression growing older. So we could just say being older or becoming older or getting older, but we say growing older. That's an interesting phrase, isn't it, Because actually, as we get older, we shrink. So what are we talking about growing older? Well, because growth being an emotional spiritual process that continues that can continue forever. So for me, it's not a matter of I'm good, but I can be better. It's a question of can I continue to grow? Not what there's anything wrong now, but can I continue to grow? Which is really the essence of life. As long as there's life, there's growth, isn't there? You know? And the growth maybe at some point purely physical, At some point physically there might even be contraction, But spiritual and emotionally they can always be growth. So it's rather than a dichotomy, it's more like a unitary process.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate that. I do feel that. What is You just sparked something for me. You were giving this example. The story just told about how the gentleman, when he thought he was going to commit suicide, he would hold his almost like a gun to his head. Yeah, and that's the place he developed the trauma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tumor.
Speaker 1: How does trauma intercept the body in that way like this? That feels such like a physical example of that.
Speaker 2: I can give you other examples.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was working in palliative care, I was looking after a young woman. She was thirty eight with als AMT traffic light as crosses, which is a disease, and the nervous system you basically get paralyzed. The muscles that or the nerves that activate your muscles just die their hard and that's what's closest means. So they they become rigid and they become unable to move. This woman, she was a dancer, beautiful woman, and we talked a lot in her last weeks. She told me that all her life she used to have this dream of being buried alive. Boxton unable to be unable to move. She was a dancer and she began to notice that on the dance floor she couldn't execute the movements anymore. Something was wrong. So she was diagnosed at ALS and she went to the office of the ALS Society and on the wall there was a poster that said having ALS is like being buried alive.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The cellist Jacquelin Duprey was a great classic British classical cellist, died in her forties. She was a big international rocket star in the classical music world. She died of MSS multiple scrosses. She couldn't move anymore by that By the time she was in the lily twenties, she couldn't play the cellum anymore. When she was eight years old, she said to her sister, He'll don't tell her mommy this, but when I go up, I won't be able to move or walk. Now, all of these people, these three people, the guy with the brain tumor, the woman with the LS jacking, the prey, they've been deeply traumatized in childhood. I'm not going to go into how, but they had been. That woman's dreamed that she couldn't move or walk was literally an expression over emotional experience in her family of origin. In her deathbed, nobody came to see her from her family. She was all alone, like she had been all her life. She couldn't be herself. She couldn't speak, or move or get enough air to be herself. So that dream was metaphoric to start with, then became a physical reality. Now, how does the metaphor does or how does the emotion? How does the trauma translate into physical reality? That has to do with the scientific little secret. Don't tell any doctors this because might not know what to do with it. But well some of them don't. They're not taught in medical school. Mind and body are unseparable. Our emotions, our nervous system, our emotional system, in our brains and our bodies, our nervous system, our horomonal apparatus, and our immune system are actually one system, all serving survival and growth and reproduction, and so they're not separate. Even to say that they're connected it is a bit false because it's one yes, yes, no, Which means that what happens emotionally can have a significant impact on the nervous system, on the god, on the heart, on an immune system, and on hormones. Just obviously, so without going into the mechanisms of how trauma effects, but trauma can affect genetic functioning, our chromosomes function, chroma can effect our immune system. Actually, for example, study that I callte women with severe post traumatic stress disorder have doubled the risk of ovarian cancer, according to a Harvard study a few years ago. Well, but that means that the severe emotions endured by the woman with PTSD can declare themselves in a form of malignancy because they affect the immune system and the molded the symptoms, the lesser risk of avarian cancer. So mind and body being one unit, obviously, our emotional lives and emotional traumas and wounds can show up in our physiology, which is why autoimmune diseases are much more common amongst racialized women, both in Canada and the US, because they hurt a lot more as women and as racialized people. So it's just all one thing. And again, is that a new finding or is that something or is that an ancient wisdom? And it's both. It is both modern science not taught in medical schools for reasons that are interesting but rather distressing, and it's ancient wisdom as well. It's all one.
Speaker 1: And with that approach, I mean, we can't minimize the number of steps and the uniqueness of those, but the hope is that people can work medically and mentally to be able to release that trauma.
Speaker 2: I have photographs on my on my cellphone, on my computer of a woman that I met five years ago. I gave it talk in London on this subject of mind body unity and how stress and trauma can lead to autommune disease and the automn diseases where the immune system attacks the body itself, and this woman sent me photographs a year ago now. When I met her, she'd been diagnosed with autiomn disease called systemic loopus, which has got a typical presentation of what's called the butterfly rash. So her face is red like here like the wings of butterfly, with the body of the butterfly as a red rash over and it's called the butterfly rash. It's typical of that disease. And she sent me a picture of her fingers. When she was diagnosed, they were like yellow as wax because the blood supply had been constricted. She was told that you got this disease. We don't know what causes it, can't cure it. Probably it'll get worse and you'll be on medication first of your life. I could saying these photographs, you could actually show them because she's given me permission. She sent me a pictures of ear ago faced at the beautiful pink as anything, no rash, fingers are as pink as mine, yours, No medication, no treatment. She just dealt with the emotional part of it all her life. She had suppressed herself, just along the lines I've been talking about. She dealt with her trauma. She's become fully authentically and vigorously herself the disease is gone, doctors would say. Of some doctors said, well, that's just an anecdote. Yeah, it's an anecdote, but happen to be a tool anatgot. I pay attention to anadlos. Not only that this has been studied systematically by others, and there are people who once they deal with the emotional side of things and take charge of their lives, they recover from diseases that are supposed to have been hopeless. And if you just look at the example of Stephen Hawking, the great physicist, who was diagnosed with ALS at age twenty, he lived another fifty five years. Now the disease progressed, but he outlived this prognosis by a good half a century. Folks, I hate to tell you this be doctors don't know everything, and especially we don't fully understand. I should say as a profession the wonder's workings of mind and body and the spirit and how they all interact. So when you look at the indigenous healing practices, like the North American natives that got this medicine, will four cardrance, which is the physical and the mental, which means also the emotional and the social and the spiritual and those four quads have to be imbalanced for us to be healthy. No, they didn't have the science we do, and they didn't have the amazing achievements of Western medicine, which are truly miraculous, but they did have a wisdom that if only we adopted then combined it with the incredible achievements of Western medicine. Boy, what a health system you could possibly have, you know.
Speaker 1: That's definitely there. Yeah, what you're helping try and build for the future, and all of our platforms are dedicated to that. Hopefully we can get to a place for that integrative, holistic viewpoint.
Speaker 2: And there are more and more physicians practicing that way. You know, there are people functional medicine and integrated medicine, not as holistic as I like them to be, but far more realistic than mainstream medicine. And these are medically twained physicians like I was. So there's not like some fly by night alternative weird orccult. I mean, these are just doctors who, like myself, at some point, came to terms with the limitations of their education and needed to infuse some more ancient wisdom into how they practice the arts of healing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boy, I'd love to end with I'd love to hear from you what your wish, your prayer, your hope, however you'd like to word it. For humanity is right now today, at this time. If there's some words that come from your heart.
Speaker 2: If you could just wake up to our possibilities. You know that, you know the famous story of the body where he's walking along the road and somebody sees them with this vadiant face and confident gait, and he says, who are you a god? And the Boddy says, no, I'm awake. And if only we could be awake to our possibilities, like in every conflict, on the deepest human level, it's so unnecessary. We could actually be a human race together. It could be that we don't have to hurt ourselves, we don't have to hurt others, we don't have to take from them, demand from them. We could be this is actually possible for all of us. Since that is possible for all of us as individuals and for all of us as creatures, let's just wake up to our possibilities.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. Gebele, thank you so much again for your time, your energy, your presence, and everyone who's been listening or watching at home. If you don't already, please do grab a copy of the book Myth of Normal because our first and second conversations were very different, and I guide you towards the book for the deeper resources, the step by step guide. It's what I try and avoid doing in these interviews is minimizing the amount of work it takes, or oversimplifying what Gable's beautiful work does in his deep books, because I believe he and everyone else would want you to take those steps. So I wish you all the best in your journey of trauma, illness and healing. And Gabor, I thank you for your work and your contributions today as well and forever to humanity.
Speaker 2: Well, it's always so peaceful to be with you, and believe me, these days I enjoy you know it's of peace. So thank you so much, Thank you, so much, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: If you love this episode, you'll love my interview with Dr Gabor Matte on understanding your trauma and how to heal emotional wounds to start moving on from the past.
Speaker 2: Everything in nature goes only where it's vulnerable, So a tree doesn't grow over it's hard and thick does it. It goes where it's soft and green and vulnerable.