Speaker 1: It's time for the big a q a a b a q A, which is the big a q eight man d b a q A with A to b a q a A. So if you have questions, we have answers, but be mindful that we're not your doctor, not your attorney, not your financial advisor, but your friend. So if you want to sue somebody else, choose your brother and them. Okay, So take a we say with the smile screen of salt. If you have questions, you can go to Brannivision podcast dot com and click contact us and that's questions there. We prefer though, if you slide in our I g d MS Brina Vision Pod podcast and ask us questions there. If you want to be left anonymous, please give us a fake name. Make it fun, make it saucy, make it make it sexy even Okay, So we take questions about entrepreneurship, Corey, your business and money. Mandy, what are we doing this week? Mandy?
Speaker 2: We got some juicy career questions, which means I am so excited and should we just get right into it one of us or one of the first questions is fascinating about whether, like what happens if a company checks.
Speaker 1: Your credit report. We're wired, and.
Speaker 2: Our second question is is really about Oh no, that was the first, So our second questions about a transition, how to get out of education and start slash your own business and also a corporate job in health education. I feel like I did a really terrible job those questions itself.
Speaker 1: It's better than what Mandy made it out. Go ahead, go ahead, read the ques and we'll just get into the questions. Don't keep them. Love it is about watching Ryba fan. We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen to twenty Let's do a question twenty five from AJ from Igo. If you want to.
Speaker 1: Read it, sure, AJ says, good morning, great ladies. I put the great part in first and foremost. I love your show. It gets so much information. It's fun and informative. She says, or he I'm writing with a listener letter. I'm in need of advice big time, she said. Address her as AJ. Okay, she said, I am so over the education field. I have worked as a health educator for the past three years, but I've also had education like jobs for an additional two years, waking up every day to go to work is a struggle. I often feel really miserable and tired you name it, thinking about it or going to it into work. I don't make as much as I would like, and I'm eager for more fulfilling, higher paying, and more creative job. Okay, the subject that she teach is often underppreciated and looked over by this age demographic. I have a nutrition business which doesn't make me as much money as I would like, definitely not enough to live on the moment in the moment, and I am a health and wellness educator. I've always dreamed of working a corporate wellness job or working in my nutrition business full time with other wellness initiatives. I want to change people's lives and help them become healthier and happier versions of themselves. Can you please give me some advice on transitioning out of the teaching profession and advice for pursuing corporate wellness, a corporate wellness job and pursuing her own business as a full time job. She needs to make this change for her own health and wellness. Thank you so much. Please keep up the amazing work a jay, she said, job she alvered these babies I'm assuming she's like in like the school system, school system soon I.
Speaker 2: Was wondering, but it could be like it could be in education too. Some maybe it's like a teacher of nutrition. Yeah, I think it's kind of ironic that she's struggling with her health because of a job.
Speaker 1: Where she teaches people about health.
Speaker 2: It's really bad for my health, but just goes to show you that, really, like burnout is real in any career. So, I mean, the first tip I have is this is one of the reasons why I say don't wait for your FU moment to make a career change, because the most difficult thing when you are in such a state of desperation, not desperation like I'll take anything, but desperation of like get me out of here, is that you sort of sometimes if you make decisions with that kind of energy behind it, you can often make knee jerk decisions, impulsive decisions that actually are not best for the long term. Also, you kind of carry that energy into your next thing. And there's been multiple times where I've been on a coaching call with a client and I've been like, you're asking me for the best advice because you're interviewing for this job, or you're trying to find a job, or you're you know, in the final round of interviews and they have an offer. But what is screaming in front of me is someone who needs a break to rejuvenate a little bit. So I just that came to mind because I'm like, when you're so stressed and so burnt out and then you try to bring that energy into a corporate job interview, especially in a field where it's competitive, you may have a bunch of other candidates, like that energy can work against you the other person in an interview.
Speaker 1: It's as much.
Speaker 2: About skills as it can be about the way they feel if they're speaking to you, and if they get a sense of like, especially if you're going to be in health education, I think they want probably someone who's excited about it and you know, bring in a certain new fresh energy to it. And unless you can really fix or start working on the mindset and start working on your energy around this and getting excited about it again, I think you will struggle to find a really great job in corporate And one of the things you can do to well, you have the most you have the best answer, but ask yourself, like what why did I get into this in the first place, and what is it about it that lights me up? And how can you get back to doing that? So it could be that the actual work itself you love, but the environment that you're in is awful. So can you do some you know, even your coaching practice, like just focusing on the coaching practice, maybe not focusing on it in a way that like I have to be making money.
Speaker 1: I need a business because.
Speaker 2: I got to get out of this corporate I gotta get out of this education field. But just kind of let it be fun, like just work with clients a little bit. It may sound counterintuitive and tifty, maybe like what kind of business It's not supposed to make money, But I feel like you need to rediscover your love and sparkle about this work. And either that's maybe taking a break or it's just by doing some work just for the pure love of it and really, yeah, focusing on why this is making you feel so great and reigniting that passion or excitement that you have for the field.
Speaker 1: Now, like when.
Speaker 2: It comes to corporate wellness job like that's totally possible. There are I mean, there are on the benefits teams, there's people who review health policies, there's people who manage employee health initiatives, and that is all completely possible. But you're also you're putting this big ore of working in my nutrition business full time. And that is where I feel like it's tricky because part of me is like, yes, another corporate position, I mean, a corporate position can be a good environment shift for you. But if you're also trying to launch a business at the same time, how it's going to make it even more difficult to focus on getting that corporate opportunity. And I'm just saying like it's a lot all at once. And this is one of those things where like when you're so desperate to like get out of something, you're like, I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna do that, and then it just becomes all muddled. Does that make sense? So like I would ask you, how, what is what does your next role like, what are the what are the needs that you have? You know, what are the goals that you have right now? And how can your next move take you in one of those goals directions? And just start there? And it may be that a corporate job is what you need, whether it's for benefits or for schedule, just financially, just to have a corporate job for a little bit longer while you continue focusing on your business. That may be the right path. And I would just say focus on that for now.
Speaker 1: I'm done. No, I mean, I say, hmm, I mean one you have. Stability is critical because nothing kills creativity like struggling to make sure you have enough to eat and like pay your bills with things like that. Right, So, whatever that looks like for you to create stability to Mandy's poor weather is staying where you are right now and building your business or finding a corporate job, getting settled there, getting in a good place there, and then starting your business. Whatever that looks like, you know, making sure that you are securing the stability component of your life, especially if you're going to start a business. And so you know, to Mandy's point, I wouldn't do both at the same time. You know, if it's like I have to get out of here, I'm drying, and then it's like okay, then find a job, get settled, then start a business or I can deal if I can get my business up and running well, then stay there where you are a little longer and you know, in between, in the meantime between time, then you start your business. So getting clear like so many women when they start businesses, they're not clear on like how will I make money? I know for the first four years I was like, I don't know, just be good, that's not how it works. I was like, Ea, when I'm that base ativity, Yeah, but what are you what are you actually in the business of? So getting clear like you know, I mean, you know you don't have much space in the IG message, but getting clear on if you are going to start a business, a nutritional business, what does that actually mean? Are you building nutritional plans for people? Are you going to start like a group a community where people can pay to like you know, are you going to be like working with If it was me, I wouldn't do this in conjunction with looking for a new job, to Manny's point, But you can have this running in the back of your head. So for me, if I have to work on something that I must do for security, I always reserve at least twenty to thirty percent to work on my big goal, my real goal at the back of my head. So I'll give you seventy percent safety and security. But thirty percent is for the goal I really want. So in the back of my head, I'd be thinking to myself, huh, can I start connecting with like personal trainers online that I can maybe create the nutritional component for them, you know, because most personal trainers they don't also have nutritional I mean, I'm assuming you have, like you like maybe you went to school for nutrition, your license or whatever. So I would start to reach out to people because then they can increase their services and you can get paid, you know, and so like I would be like thinking of, like, what what ways one of how can I monetize the nutrition business, and how can I do so where I don't have to work so hard. There are trainers out there. They they seem great. You're like, oh, they already have one hundred thousand followers. They seem to be doing great. Let me connect with them. I don't have to look for customers. They have the customer. I can say, girl, I do this, this and this, we could charge an extra hundred bucks a month for this, and then we could do a seventy thirty fifty to fifty sixty forty split these This is the kind of thinking that I'd be thinking on that side. But I first and foremost secure, like mine, I make enough money to pay my bills. If your current job does that, and you don't mind staying a little longer while growing your business. Great, If you hate it so much so that it's dragging you down, then find another job and then start to build the business. But these are the types of questions I want you be asking yourself in the background. That's what I'd be thinking, you know, Like I wouldn't just dip off and slide off. I'm like, no, no, no, let's make a plan for how am I going to make money? Because so many women don't have a hell do I money plan in place?
Speaker 2: And yeah, and I mean the making of having your own business, it's really tough to have the you know, to have It's one thing to know how to make the money, but it's like and then build consistency into it, especially with a business where you are the only like you are the things that you're selling, you know. So I mean, I'm just conservative in the in the approach of like, going all in on a business right now may not be the best bet for you, because you sound really like you want something different you're really struggling, like your mental health, you're your person, your physical health is in jeopardy. And you want a change in a business, is only going to be more stressed. Yeah, and yes, let's just keep it one hundred. And also like you also have high expectations for yourself. You talk about you're not making as much as you'd like to. You want something more fulfilling, higher paying, more creative. And when it's your own business, like it's just it can be isolating, it can be lonely. It's like Tiffany said, so brilliantly. I don't think i'd heard that before, but it's so true when you are financially stressed. Yes, creativity is really hard because it's hard to be free and open and big ideas and I can do anything, you know, So for you it could be about okay, like zoom back out a little bit and let's just say I don't have to do everything right now. Yes, she says she's only been doing this for three years plus two in education. So if you've only been working I'm just going to assume professionally for five years, you're like win in your mid twenties, mid to late twenties, it's okay. You know, what you've learned is the type of job you have now is not for you. But opportunities are totally out there, you know. I mean, I know I've worked with clients who are educators in hospital systems and they'll be in charge of the diabetes education program and they work with patients who are struggling with diabetes or work with people who have high blood pressure and educate them. And gosh, I mean even I was on the phone earlier today my dad's he had a big, big meeting about potentially getting some kind of organ transplant and and uh that the first like hour was an educational video you know, with with nutritional experts and the need for nutrition education so huge right now that I think there's opportunities that are just everywhere, you know, if you're if you look and you can think a little bit outside the box. But again, you need to find your excitement about it, yes, and figure out what you do love about it and focus on that, because that is what's going to be able to like give you the the magnetic energy to attract you know, the next right role for yourself in corporate. You're not going to go in there and be like, Oh, I didn't know that I was burnt out. No one was like the audience wasn't engaged, you know, like, come on, you're gonna want to bring a much more positive energy into your next your next role.
Speaker 1: Well aja we help that helps school guy whomever. Yeah, So we're gonna take a break and be right back with another interesting question.
Speaker 2: Al Riba fan, We are back with our second question from someone who like to remain anonymous, but has a really interesting question. They say, I love your podcast. Listen every week all caps, Okay, I believe you. Every week. I have a career question. I'm a contractor at a fortune five hundred bank. I had my first phone interview with a recruiter for a permanent position within the company this week. He mentioned background checks regarding credit. But my credit score. My credit scores are not great. They're in the high five hundreds, but almost six hundred and neither is my credit report. Do you ladies think they will reject me because of this? I am the top performer of the group of contractors that I was hired with, and I have a really good track record since beginning at the company. Since being at the company.
Speaker 1: The issue with.
Speaker 2: My credit report happened earlier in my twenties twenty through twenty four, but I'm much smarter now at twenty seven. Any advice and insight be greatly appreciated. I love you ladies like my own aunts.
Speaker 1: You know that's allowed. So if you you see you don't call her your young girl, so you could be your sister kind of thing. No, No, I don't mind, because you have a two in front of your number for me seven, you know, So I'm like, you know, man, you still got three in front of your number. So I have a four in front of my number. So if you have a two, I could be your auntie. If you have the three and a high did you after the three? I'm not your auntie. Sis not have five years older than you. You tried it, try again. We're sisters.
Speaker 2: She's this good thing, all right, So I'm gonna call you niece. Then hey me like where your aunties? You're niecy?
Speaker 1: Okay? Oh? Man? All right.
Speaker 2: So the first question I have was, let me google this again. Because credit checks and credit score checks are very different. It is my understanding that it's not it's not uncommon, especially in finance, until.
Speaker 1: They're talking a little bit in law too, in law.
Speaker 2: For in the typical background check for them to also look for, they're probably gonna do like a soft credit check of some kind. They probably will not be able to see your scores. I don't think that credit score is a part of that, but they may get some like baseline information about your credit history. And the first thing when she said in my twenties, I'm like, has it been seven years yet, because it'll fall off your credit.
Speaker 1: Girl, it was like three years ago. And they're like, oh, not yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I don't I really don't know, like how detail it depends on how detailed the report is. Maybe I would ask, I mean you don't want to, like go ahead, And I don't think you should mention it because then there might be like, oh, she seems nervous about this. Looks really hard. But yeah, they I did have a friend who didn't get a job and part of that was the financial background check that was for a law firm. How Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like you gotta let it happen.
Speaker 2: And if you do get rejected based on that, I think you'll know exactly why and that is really unfortunate. But you know, I would just focus on continuing to be really good at what you do and getting hired at a different you know company, or just staying as a contractor. And let this be like a huge Oh, I'm never going to forget how this financial behavior of mine, you know, lost me helped me put me in a position where I wasn't able to get a job that I was good at.
Speaker 1: May not may wanted to hear, but I yeah, because banks, you know you, I mean, you're working with money, and so it's not just banks. I mean I remember it was a woman who was working at a call center for like a trucking call center. She didn't get it because of her credit, my my mental my mentee at the time, she was just graduating in law school. She wasn't able to get a job because of her credit. Because they were looking because I guess whatever that job was. They felt like having poor credit would put you in position to maybe make decisions that weren't aligned with what the type of person they were looking for. And let's just say that you don't get this job. The good thing is credit is fixable, you know what I mean. And so, like to Mandy's point, I would let it play out and then for whatever reason they come back and they say, oh, your credit, then you can say, well, would I be able to be considered again in another six months? And then you work your behind off for six months to get your credit together. The good thing is you're very young. NCI twenty seven is a go. I'm just the baby right, very young, and so you know, so many of us made our mistakes. The Lord knows I have, and so you can use the next six to eight months to get your credit together and be considered again. What it sounds like is that one you know, you are already someone that they're considering. You're a top producer, you know, someone that they're considering for a job. So that's going to happen again. And the truth of the matter is sometimes this is the thing before the thing, that's what I call it, meaning that let's just say worst case here, or you don't get this job. Maybe you weren't supposed to get this job, this job was supposed to keep. But the gear to fixing this credit so that because a bigger job is coming that absolutely needs that credit. So this is the thing to get you ready for the actual thing, if that makes sense. In these you know so either way, let this be a I need to get my credit together. If you're not sure how where there's so many free credit tools. I have one, the Literature Challenge Credit Edition. It's free, go to LRC credit dot com. We say that's the leaving up because job in a while.
Speaker 2: When something's credit is that low in the five hundreds, you know, I think it's also going to matter, like what exactly is on your report? Is it a lot of delinquent debt? Is it older? Like is it you know, you're twenty seven now, if you have a few years of good, healthy credit behavior, maybe that will work in your favor. I think when companies pull your reports like this, they don't want to see tons of debt that you're currently in or like it's currently like badly badly delinquent like collections and even a bankruptcy. Have you ever foiled bankruptcy?
Speaker 1: Forclosures like that? You're looking for leans, I'm sure because they're looking for like would you make a really dumbest decision with our money because of the decision that you're in, meaning like like you know, maybe you know especially like let's just say tellers, right, you're like, yo, you're really running through money. So if you all of a sudden you get a call from your debt collector that says, pay this money or lose your house, you know, would you slip a twenty into your pocket? You know there's something you know like something like that, but also too, it's just making.
Speaker 2: You described or blackmailed based on your debt.
Speaker 1: Yes and so so Yeah, LRC credit is still available. It's free. It's our Liverature Challenge Credit edition is totally free, So you can sign up for that if you're wanting, I may walk you through. It's twenty two days, walks you through step by step fixing your credit for free. But yeah, that's what I would focus on. I would focus on so worst case scenario, if you don't get this job, will you still be able to be a contractor with them? So continue to do that, ask them if you can revisit in six eight months, you know, to and fix your credit. In the meantime, here's some things you can do to fix your credit. One, you have to make on time payments. If you haven't automated your like your your payments, do so. I like to have a separate bank account just for bills, you know, So that way, all of my payments can come out of that bill's account. So I have two checking accounts, one for like where I swipe my debit card and spending and things like that, and then one just for bills. And I don't attach a debit card. You can literally detach a debit card from that bill's account, so you can't accidentally swipe away your bill money. Two, paying off a debt in full every month is really helpful. And so I like to get a credit card that already has a zero balance. So if you don't have one, you can totally open one up. Because your credit is not for girls. You can look for a secured credit card, you know to do this with. So secured credit card is a credit card with training wheels. And you could get secure credit card from the lowest of the low and like three hundred dollars typically a wards of six hundred dollars. Is that that's not what you pay for it, but that's the money that you give the bank. The bank puts it in a savings account or money and market account for you and says that's your limit. So when you have your card, you know you can't spend over six hundred dollars because they feel comfortable and having because normally when you swipe a card, you're borrowing from the bank. But if they have your security deposit, they know worst case scenario, if niece doesn't pay us back, we'll just use the money from her bank account. Another great tool. Another great tool to raise your credit score, because they're going to look to see your credit score is also based upon what kind of debt how have you properly managed. So one is called revolving debt, which is credit cards, and one is called installment loans, which is like your mortgage or car no student loans. And the way one tool you can use for that is this company called Self like me myself and I'm and I like self because the way Self work or it's called a credit builder loan. You don't have to use Self if you have a credit union. Oftentimes they have credit builder loans as well.
Speaker 2: My dad used one of those. I was going to say credit builder loans.
Speaker 1: Yes, So credit builder loan, personal loan, yes. And so what I like about credit builder loans and like Self does this, but like credit unions do this too, is that is I call it like the fake out loan. You go to like a credit union or or like a self right and say hey, I want to quote unquote borrow money, and they will say you take the least amount of money possible. I think for self it's like five hundred bucks. And they actually say I will loan you nice five hundred dollars, but they don't give it to you. Instead, they put that five hundred dollars in a in a savings account for you, and every month you pay them back like you really borrow the money. And at the end of the year they give you back your money because you never they never actually gave it to you, you know, didn't you borrow it, but you didn't receive it. They give you back the money that you paid plus the interest. And so now it looks like, oh my gosh, like Niice, you know, went a whole full year of paying down and offer and paying down and off a loan. And so that is one way to raise your credit on the installment loan side, and one raise. One waid to raise your credit on the revolving debt side is to get one of those, like I said, a secured credit card and then pay it off every month in full. Put one small bill on it that secure credit card is to stay home. You're gonna put your gym membership, your Netflix membership, your Spotify membership, just one thing that's under twenty five dollars ideally under fifty the most, right, just because I want you to use it as little as possible. And then you're gonna have your online where you're gonna have your bill's account, like I told you, your separate checking account. Pay that credit card off in full every single month. So the card is going to be charged every month. It's going to be paid off every month, and it's going to look like, Wow, not only is niece paying off her credit card every month that's revolving. That looks so good. Niece is also paying down an installment loan every month. That looks really good. You do those two things together, niece, six to eight months, your credit card is going to look cuter than you and you know, hopefully you'll be able to apply for that job or something else.
Speaker 2: Again, Okay, you think that you should do that before the background check?
Speaker 1: Like do you?
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering playing Devil's advocate, Like if they see a new loan, will that raise like some kind of red flag on the employer side.
Speaker 1: Well, what I like about self. I don't know this about other credit build and loans, but what I like about self is that they don't it doesn't give a ding on your credit report because no, no, that's not true. What about so huh. I'm trying to remember if that's why I liked about it. I can't remember if self, because I didn't have you borrow money goes on your credit report, I still would. I don't because I don't think that having like a five hundred dollars credit builder loan is going to be like what are you doing? You know what I mean? Like I you know, I I would do at least one of them. I don't think, you know, I mean they're looking now, so you know, I don't think that that's going to be a big deal. Yeah. So, and I don't think getting a secured credit card for three hundred dollars is going to be like the make or break. It's if you were buying a home. I'd be a girl, don't touch anything, but you're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the sooner you start, the better niece, and then you know, now you know better you could do better and that way you. You know, the thing about credit is that like it's like you need to know me before you need me. Let this be a warning to all y'all here looking for jobs, get your credit together, because you never know what people are gonna what job is going to be looking at your credit in order to hire you, So you want to already have that strong and have to think about it.
Speaker 2: I love you know how it feels when you go to someone who you really love and admire and you go to them and you fess up to something that you've done wrong and they just don't make you feel like shit about it. I just love that she came to us with like this because like, as your cool aunts, I feel like we can hear you, and like we don't like, obviously you know you did wrong and all that, but we're still going to like, here's a seat at the table, let's pour your glass of wine, let's talk about what we can do moving forward.
Speaker 1: And yeah, because girl, we have been there, been there, done that. Girl messed up my whole life with credit, and we here to tell the tale, honey, So not to judge.
Speaker 2: You know, you got a few years. Just keep keep on the straight and narrow. Okay, you got a few years and all that bad behavior will just fall off.
Speaker 1: It's seven years.
Speaker 2: It does kind of fly by sometimes speaking of someone account we.
Speaker 1: Weren't just like we didn't even shout her out, Like the fact is girl, niece, what does she say, I'm the top performer of the group of contractors that I was hard with, Niece? We forgot girl. Yes, you're that girl. Okay, Like so that, I promise you, being the top performer at a fortune five hundred bank is much harder than fixing you a little bit of credit score. Okay, you have all the skills necessary. So we want to applaud you for being that girl. Okay, so we want you to be that girl with that job.
Speaker 2: Look, I want an update, okay, Nie, Yes, we need an update. Let us know how things go slide back And for our DMS NBA fan, if you would like to have your question answered by your favorite financial aunties, please dm us on ig. We are at Brand Ambition Podcast. You can also hit us up on gmail. Brand Ambison Podcast at gmail dot com and we can't wait to get more of y'all's questions.
Speaker 1: Yes until next week, y'all share, Oh yeah, share the well, if you know this was a good episode, don't play yourself. Go ahead and she had the sample. Oh and Kendrick lamar.
Speaker 2: One we oh won the beef battle. Bro I didn't listened to a single disc track, but I have been listening to the discord and I have nothing to say on that matter.
Speaker 1: Bye, b a fan, Bye,