Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Bruce. Thanks for pulling up a chair for another bonus episode of Table for Two. Please excuse the voice as I have a little laryngitis. But a couple of weeks ago we published our interview with Adrian Brody. We had an incredible lunch, and this week we have even more to share with you. So ahead of this Sunday's Oscars, where our guest is nominated for Best Actor for his role in The Brutalist, I hope you enjoy this thoughtful and insightful lightning round with Adrian Brody. Okay, mister Brody, So favorite.
Speaker 2: Cocktail, uh, tequila on the rocks? Oh me too.
Speaker 1: First big purchase when you made a chunk?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I didn't want to elaborate on it, but I got a new car, and and I love cars. I can't give you one word answers. I love cars. I grew up building muscle cars and drags, and none of my parents never owned a new car, and I never owned a new car. And I bought a car for my mom and my dad and myself. Wow, so it was a big thing in my life.
Speaker 3: Okay, favorite band, mob Deep, first concert.
Speaker 2: I wish it was mob Deep, I would have. I don't remember. I know I should remember. I mean I really don't like mine was Wings. I'll tell you my first connects. My first favorite band was Kiss and I had, I Had, and I played. I was Gene Simmons for Halloween and my mom is the best picture of me as a little kid, like going with Geene Simmons makeup. But I had eight tracks of Kiss and Pink Floyd okay as a kid.
Speaker 1: That's okay. Actor who has most influenced you?
Speaker 2: Only one?
Speaker 1: It could be.
Speaker 2: Robert de Niro, Marlon Brando, al Pacino, John Case.
Speaker 1: You can feel all of them, and you just you know, you can feel all of them.
Speaker 2: Man crush young Brando. I was gonna say, yeah, I mean its iconic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's iconic, but anyone who isn't. Yeah. I mean you got to think about yourself.
Speaker 3: And the advice that keeps giving that was important on you, or advice you want to give to keep giving.
Speaker 2: Well, it's nice and I really appreciate you saying that people found a degree of kindness in me, and it all stems from having a degree of empathy, which which I feel has been very much cultivated through my work I'm sorry, I can't give you one answer or anything, but and that all comes back to a state of non judgment, a state of putting yourself in someone else's circumstances. And I've had a vast life, and I've lived many lives through these characters, and I've traveled the world many times over. And even my references to all the most powerful producers in the world last night is I understand how hard it is what you're trying to accomplish. And I appreciate what you've done, not only for yourself, which is incredibly difficult and challenging and competitive, but what you've done for this industry. And I've also produced and put money in a time when I didn't have money in a movie to fix the movie. And I've dealt with the complexities of that side of the world that many actors don't understand and don't realize how privileged they are to not have to deal with those things, to just show up and do their work work. I'm sorry to digress on that, but it stems it speaks to a bigger thing of everywhere you look, we're all yearning for similar things. We all want a sense of home, we all want to feel seen and heard. We all want our families to be safe, we want to succeed on our own levels, and we want to live more harmoniously. And the way you can achieve that is through being more harmonious in your actions as best as you can and seeing others with the perspective of how you would like them to see you and treat you. And even if they're not capable of doing that, that's not personal to you, but you are. You're responsible for your actions and how you will engage. And that's very important and very much a part of how I've grown up. Finally, and that's something I credit my parents for and the many, you know, beautiful life experiences I've had to give me perspective. And I realized that I have quite a unique perspective because I have this vantage point I've struggled for decades as an actor, and I also am able to see how people perceive me and perhaps misperceive qualities about me from another point of view, and it allows me to be very in touch. I'm so not out of touch that it's wonderful. And I tell you, the big thing is and my biggest fear was when I was amidst that whirlwind twenty two years ago, and offers and opportunities and you name it were being presented to me which were never presented to me. I was afraid that I would lose touch, right, and I in fact moved to the countryside and bought an old place to fix up and with a pickup truck and kind of hit away. And I don't think it was probably the best thing to do, but I didn't want to succumb entirely to everything that was available.
Speaker 3: Exactly, I understand, and I think that was the correct decision.
Speaker 2: Probably, Yeah, I mean it was the decision, and it's it's it's and it gets you there. It gets you there.
Speaker 3: So if you've pulled up a chair, thank you so much for joining us on Table for two.
Speaker 1: Adrian, thank you, and let's do this do it? Thank you, Thank you for pulling up a chair.
Speaker 3: I love our launches and never forget the romance of a meal. If you enjoy the show, please tell a friend and rate and review us on Apple Podcasts. Table for two with Bruce Bosi is produced by iHeartRadio seven three seven Park and Airmail. Our executive producers are Bruce Bosi and Nathan King. Our supervising producer is Dylan Fagan. Our editors are Vincent to Johnny and Cas b Bias. Table for two is researched and written by Jack Sullivan. Our sound engineers are Mio B. Klein, Jess Krainich, Evan Taylor.
Speaker 1: And Jesse Funk.
Speaker 2: Our music supervisor is Randall Poster.
Speaker 3: Our talent booking is done by Jane Sarkin.
Speaker 2: Table for two's social media manager is Gracie Wiener.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Amy Sugarman, Uni Scherer, Kevin Yvane, Bobby Bauer, Alison Kanter Graber. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.