Speaker 1: Hey everyone, I'm Jackie Goldschneider. I'm Jen Fessler, and we are two Jersey Jays. And Jen, you are freshly back from La and a girls trip. How are you feeling?
Speaker 2: It actually was? It was what was sort of a girl's trip. I went to La so I told you this, But Jeff has a conference every year in Laguna. It's like the most fun. So I usually go for this conference. This year just hoppen to coincide with a few things that I was able to pull off, like the iHeart Music Awards.
Speaker 1: I had BAUMO.
Speaker 2: It was so unbelievably over the top grade. It was so much fun. Yeah, just got to like mix it up with the likes of Benson Boone and Henry Winkler. And oh, by the way, Zoe Winkler is we're going to have her on the pod.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, I know, I don't know her at all. Is she meeting zo?
Speaker 2: She is a living doll? And so she's actually having Ron Howard on. She wants us to come on hers as well, but she's having oh like Ron Howard on next, I believe.
Speaker 1: Oh, so that's exciting. Yeah, and then you went to Texas?
Speaker 2: Huh, so I was in Texas because I have these three best friends from high school and one of them is still is in Houston. So we've talked about it before, but I grew up in Houston, and she's been wanting us to join her at the rodeo. She's on all these rodeo committees in Houston. So I was finally able to do it, and it was the most fun. Oh my god, an old Dominion was playing. Yeah, yeah, I just I haven't been back to Texas in like thirty five years. Well that's not true. I haven't been back to Houston in thirty five years. And I got to visit my old high school and.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so nice. That's really nicely great. I thought you went to Texas more often than that. I went to a rodeo and we went to Jackson Hall like a year and a half ago, and we went to a rodeo and it was so fun. I mean, the energy there is just so different than it is here on like the East Coast, you.
Speaker 2: Know, oh one hundred. There's there were certain things, certain aspects of it that I don't love, just I don't know, being an animal lover, and I'm kind of unsure about they say that they take such good care of the animals at Rodeo, but I don't know. Some of it was hard for me to watch. But anyway, having said that, anyway, still fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really really fun. Time you look refresh. Yes.
Speaker 2: Oh and when I was at iHeart, I got to meet one of the favorite one of my favorite people that I got to meet was Tory Spelling.
Speaker 1: Oh, which ties in perfectly today.
Speaker 2: It does, Yes, it does.
Speaker 1: I almost like don't want to meet my heroes because like I have these women in my head as like I just idolized them when I was a kid watching them. You know, they're just a little bit older than I am, and so when I was a young teen just watching them on nine, O, two and O was just like they were everything I do. I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, the same special yeah yeah, And she was so warm, she was there was a kind of like a kind of a barrier between us, but I don't know, I kind of tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around, she knew who we were, so that just I was just labergasted by that. And then she kind of like went over the divider to give me a hug to take the picture she was such a doll. I'm like, we're gonna talk. I mean, it's just this is the nine o two one a week. I'm like over the moon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: By the way, we have a very special guest today.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is none other than Kelly Taylor herself, Jenny Garth. I almost can't believe it because, like I, you know, I just these people were never real to me, you know, But she is actually quite She has lived quite an interesting life from child star to you know, very interesting relationship dynamics and a lot of really good work, creative work. So I'm really excited to dig into all of it with Harber. So Jenny, he's skyrocketed to start him with her role as Kelly Taylor on Beverly Hills nine o two and oh the original For anyone younger who's listening, We're not talking about the one that came out ten years ago, although I believe she might have been a part of that also, we're talking about the real deal, like the first the first go round, the show became like a ratings success, lasting ten seasons and it remains one of the most successful and iconic television series ever produced. And then She's worked in a whole bunch of more TV shows and films What I Like About You with Amanda Vines, Hallmark Movies, Lifetime Movies, many more. She's an entrepreneur with a fashion line Me by Jenny Garth. She's the host of three different podcasts on iHeart Nine, O two to one, MG, I Choose Me, and I Do Part Two. She lives in LA with her husband Dave, three daughters.
Speaker 2: It's so funny think of Jenny Garth with three daughters right now.
Speaker 1: Well they're also are now they're like no adult all right, well my age? I think no, No, the daughters are like twenty or like nineteen, and.
Speaker 2: Jenny's like my age. I mean you're younger, right.
Speaker 1: I'm forty eight.
Speaker 2: I think she's maybe early fifties.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, early fifties, so right, rights back between us, Yeah, like those younger listeners, whoever's out there listening to us is even younger than us.
Speaker 2: And trying to think of the equivalent, Jack, it would be like.
Speaker 1: I feel like middle aged. Like it's I don't think of us as different ages.
Speaker 2: Which I appear very much, being that we are ten years apart.
Speaker 1: Do you think of yourself as I'm not asking this for you to freak out, but like almost sixty but you're not. But like, is that the way you want that? It doesn't.
Speaker 2: First all, I don't at all freak out. I think of I mean, fifty six. I'll be fifty seven in August, so I guess I am on the other side of fifty, right. You know, I don't know why it doesn't freak me out. Really, it's uh and I almost feel very proud of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a lot of things to show for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Hello, Jenny Garth By, We are so excited to have you.
Speaker 2: I was just telling Jackie how I was at the iHeart Awards this past week weekend and I got to meet Tory and it was just so surreal. And I'm talking to you now like it's just normal and you and I chat on the phone all the time. But it's for I think women and jet for Jackie too. For us, it's like, yeah, women our age. It's hard to even explain, Like I wish I want to say to my daughter, she knows who you are, but but it's I'm trying to think of the modern day Jenny Garth for her It's huge for us, you guys, I mean, we grew wanted to be. I alternated between you and Brenda. Kelly and Brenda. Really, I think everyone did.
Speaker 1: Everyone our age did. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Most times it's one of the others.
Speaker 2: And Donna and Donna yeah yeah, And that.
Speaker 1: Was obviously your most I mean to me, your most famous role. Is that what you consider your most famous role, like the biggest role of your life?
Speaker 3: And yeah, absolutely, that was my breakout role.
Speaker 4: That was the role that gave me the life I have now, Like without that show, without that role, playing Kelly Taylor in my life would be completely different. And I'm just I'm always just keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: I'm so grateful for it.
Speaker 4: But I've done other work that has, you know, been fulfilling in different ways. But that is the show that will go down that will be on my gravestone, you know.
Speaker 2: I think for sure that, Yeah, I'm sure that's I love that you're grateful for it like that, because I would think that it times, you know, you're so when a character becomes so iconic and follows you around, I would think that at times it would also become a little bit frustrating. But gratitude is ye.
Speaker 3: It definitely really can.
Speaker 4: But I mean I have always been really super in touch with the fact that if I hadn't gotten that role, my life wouldn't be what it is today.
Speaker 3: And I think, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I'm yeah, internally grateful for it.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about what it's like to be an eighteen year old suddenly thrust into fame. Because Jen and I we found like dalist fame, a reality show fame in middle age, and even that is overwhelming. But as an eighteen year old, were you eighteen when you got the role?
Speaker 3: I see, go seventeen, but yeaheenah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to suddenly be you know, I assume that you could have walked down the street without being stopped. What was life? How did life change for you?
Speaker 3: It was weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the show didn't break out for like a good season, and the second season when we started airing episodes that were set at the beach, and that just got a huge.
Speaker 3: Awareness across the world.
Speaker 4: And I sort of went into this weird like I can't leave the house mode, like a goraphobia. Yeah, but I'm also a homebody, so it kind of works for me. I love to be home and I it was it was difficult, like just wherever we went it was I can't even think of anything else to describe it as, but like the Beatles, Like it felt like that because there were just always people coming at us and throngs and that made me want to stay home a lot.
Speaker 2: So interesting. Do any of any of the other cast members enjoy that thrive in that scenario, because I think that there's even on again, like Jackie said, our b List Reality TV cast World, but I think there are some women that enjoyed a lot more than the others do. Was was that the case with you guys, or was that anyone shell shocked?
Speaker 4: I really couldn't tell you what the others fully experienced with it.
Speaker 3: I know for me it was complete shell shock, complete fish out of water feelings.
Speaker 4: I'm a Midwestern girl. I'm as normal as they come, and nobody in my family had ever had anything to do with Hollywood or fame or anything like that. So this was absolutely like way out of my comfort zone. I think some people do thrive in that environment, and I learned to make it work with my life, Like I had to really keep that in my job category in my box. That was like I go to work and that's what happens. And then I come home and then it's peace and I'm normal and I'm who I am authentically. So there was a lot of learning to live with fame that I went through over the years.
Speaker 1: For sure. Yeah, well, you wouldn't have known it by watching you. You always seemed to very like just perfect, like Kelly Kelly Taylor and you just both seemed perfect.
Speaker 3: What is perfect you?
Speaker 1: Well, in my eyes, you know, as a kid watching you like, you were the person I wanted to look like and dress like and be like. And you are the popular girl and when the show. So do you keep in touch with your co stars asides from I know you keep in such a story spelling yep, yep.
Speaker 3: We I was just group chatting what do you call it? Texting?
Speaker 4: Group texting with them yesterday, setting up some plans for Ian's birthday.
Speaker 3: We're all going to be together.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 2: So we should actually tell you also how sorry you've lost two of your cast met and the whole world was, you know, just sort of prompt as I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you all. You seem to have been such a tight knit group and for years and way too young for two of you, unfortunately, to not be with us anymore, just terrible.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't make sense. It still doesn't make sense for my brain, it's sure. And I.
Speaker 4: Live in a world where they where they still are a lot in my mind, so it's very, very hard to understand that they're not here physically.
Speaker 2: No doubt, no doubt. Yeah, there were.
Speaker 1: See and zering at. My husband would always get very frustrated by the fact that he was so old and playing a teenager.
Speaker 2: You would always and Andrew.
Speaker 3: He was, Yeah, he was a few years older.
Speaker 4: A lot of the cast was a few years older than they were playing. Yeah, A couple of us, a few of the three of us I think were very like age similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, yeah, says I. And by the way, and I am sorry sorry. Yes. So when the show ended, was it like did you know it was coming or did it just like stop? And what was that adjustment like for you for your life?
Speaker 4: It was ten years I had had a baby at the tail end of the show, so my life had already started to go into its next phase. So luckily when it ended, I had something to go put all of my energy in, which was my daughter Luca, and I really just dove deep into that being my purpose and I loved it so much. I loved being a mom so much that that was easy for me, and staying home with her was easy for me, you know, after so many years of getting up at five in the morning to get to work by six and then when the baby came, dragging her to work at six am and having her there all day, fourteen hours a day. It was a lot. And I was really looking forward to just some peace in my life. And I had that for a few years, and then I was like, ooh, I need to work again.
Speaker 3: I feel like that itch.
Speaker 4: So that was when I went back out there and tried something different. But it was a definite transition in life, and I remember just not knowing what to do with myself, like honestly, when to eat, when to go to the bathroom, Because when you're working like that those kind of hours every single day, literally your whole entire life is mapped out by someone else on a call sheet and you just follow the rules and the people telling you what to do. So I was out there, I was like, wow, okay, I guess I should go to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Now, do you feel like it was the acting piece. It sounds like it was part that you missed and you wanted to get back to that, but the fame piece of it. And I always think about that myself because when I was younger, I wanted to be an actress, and I was not a very good one. But I think that I didn't want to necessarily be an actress. I think I just wanted to be famous and I wanted to be on stage. You know. I think that's sort of what drove me into reality TV obviously. But do you is that part of it for you?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 2: Do you still because you're still obviously you're we have a lot more to talk about other than nine O two one zero. You're crazy busy. But is that part that drives you at all? Or is it more sort of like these roles and the acting piece of it. Do you enjoy the fame or is it just at this point is it just cumbersome?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it, you know, annoying to you. I'm sure you still can't walk down the street without being stopped, and.
Speaker 4: No, I've I've tried to hide from it and that worked for many years, and now at fifty, I just decided to fully embrace it and accept this amazing sense of.
Speaker 3: Community that I have with so much support and love.
Speaker 4: You know, the fans of the original show have followed me through to every aspect of my career, every endeavor, and I have found such an enormous gratitude for them, and there I feel like we are a community now and I inspire them, they inspire me. So I'm definitely not hiding from any of it and just really just hunkering down and appreciating.
Speaker 2: It right now, you can enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had.
Speaker 3: This kind of career that's lasted this many years is not easy to come by in this in this business. So I'm just so.
Speaker 4: Honestly proud of myself for this kind of like endurance and just grateful that I'm still able to work, you know.
Speaker 1: And then the.
Speaker 4: Drive comes from a supporting my family. B I'm just a passionate, driven person and I'm a creative.
Speaker 3: So I've got to keep moving. I've got to keep changing.
Speaker 4: I like to move houses, I like to get different cars, I like to change my furniture.
Speaker 3: I feel like three husbands like I like change.
Speaker 1: I love that I'm not that great with change. I'll live in the same house until last time I moved fifteen years ago. I told my husband we will I'm not moving in till I'm good. I'm not.
Speaker 2: I can't stand it. That's what my husband says.
Speaker 3: He says, I'm dying in this house. I was like, well, I probably won't.
Speaker 2: Be to be dying alone.
Speaker 1: So, but you have a lot of projects, so let's let's talk about it. I'm most I'm really interested in your clothing line, because that's sort of out and right. That's like not in line with like all of the acting and podcasting and writing. Tell us about the clothing line. You've had that for a while.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I had.
Speaker 4: I had been working with QVC on another project, and through that experience, I just formed some relationships with.
Speaker 3: Them, and they came to me and asked me if I wanted to do my own line.
Speaker 4: And I was so taken back, like I was like, wow, okay, I can do that. But it was like something I had never done before, and entering into a whole new world of business, the fashion business and design and learning how.
Speaker 3: To you know, stay on deadline and deliver.
Speaker 4: And there's so many parts of it that I had never done, so I was like, ooh, challenged, Yes.
Speaker 3: Please, I will do that.
Speaker 4: And so that, you know, because I had before that, I had started to kind of really zero in on what I wanted for the next chapter.
Speaker 3: Of my life, and it didn't involve acting.
Speaker 4: It didn't involve waiting around for projects to come to me and then being told like what somebody else's vision was. I wanted to really move forward with all the things inside of me might fulfill that creative part of me.
Speaker 3: And I'm you.
Speaker 4: Know, saying no to acting for a while has been really scary and it feels risky, but I keep just telling myself it's okay, you're gonna be You're going to go, You're gonna be fine. And so I'm kind of in that vein right now, just entrepreneurship and also just building my brand, not just with fashion, but it's the backbone of the brand is really about reminding women that we have the opportunity in every moment to choose ourselves and that for me, you know, it's just kind of the backbone of everything that the brand does, whether it's fashion, whether it's the podcast, whether it's the live event and more to come.
Speaker 3: Like I'm just I'm so.
Speaker 4: Happy to have found that passion that I can build upon for my future and you know what, for the future of my family, Like when I'm gone, I want them to have something that they can do whatever they want with it.
Speaker 3: But I want to be able to leave them with stuff, you know, some things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did you get there?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, we could follow the journey of your life, but was it therapy? Was there a point at which you were like, you know, kind of digging deeper. I mean, I'm fifty six years old, so I've gone through many transitions in my life and you know, trying to figure out what really is going to fulfill me at any point, right What ful fills me now at fifty six certainly was very different than what did when I was thirty and having babies. But was there did you have some kind of an aha moment where you sort of, you know, thought, Okay, I'm going to put acting aside and it's not doing it for me anymore.
Speaker 4: I had a long period of sort of feeling really stuck and lost and unclear about what I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: And I think so many of us.
Speaker 4: Go through at least one of those in our lives, if not many, where you're like, I don't know what I want, I don't know what I'm good at.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know where where can I go that is has a place for me.
Speaker 4: And so I just really sat with that for a long time, and honestly, I was I'm a person that.
Speaker 3: Manages depression. I've always had it, so I just.
Speaker 4: Thought, Oh, I'm in a lull, It'll be fine, I'll come back up, It'll be great. But it took a lot a long time. And I had done a ton of therapy. I had done a lot of self work after my divorce, and I really felt the benefits of that, but I was still kind of lost, and I thought, you know, I had to really get specific about what I wanted for my future, and I had to envision exactly what I wanted my life to be like moving forward. And I did that with a vision board, quite honestly, and really really.
Speaker 2: Like a literal one like you got out the poster board and yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no whiteboard.
Speaker 4: I have all my ideas on it, which is one entire whiteboard, but also like all of the things I want my life to be like like, and I have pictures and you know, I really didn't believe in that before, but I just sat with it and would stare at it and think hmm, and not have any clue how to get all of those get there, get to whatever was up there on that whiteboard.
Speaker 3: And the more I looked at it, and the more I kept it in.
Speaker 4: The forefront front of my mind on a daily basis, it just started to fall into place in the most magical way. And I think it just became that like getting still with something, realizing what you want, and then taking the steps to get there.
Speaker 3: And it's it.
Speaker 4: Sounds so overwhelming, but if you break it down into steps, it's something we can all do.
Speaker 3: And I always thought of it as like having a little ball, like a rubber ball.
Speaker 4: And pushing it up a mountain with my nose and like just trying to get the ball, and we come back down and then I push you back up again and then we'll come back down a little bit. So for me, that's what life has been like. And I feel like I'm like on the sort of all plateau of the mountain right now, feeling very safe, feeling very good about where I am.
Speaker 3: But there's always a bigger mountain to climb. You know, if you.
Speaker 1: Want that, I love that. I love that because I do. I think both of us feel sort of at a crossroads right now. I know, at least I do. Our show that we've always had is paused, and we're kind of considering what the next parts of our you know, I have children who are going to be leaving the home in a few years, and and I just am trying to figure out the rest of my life and what I want. So that vision board, you know, I never really considered making one, but if it, if you're telling me about it.
Speaker 2: I'm right, I feel so like I'm fascinated by it. Will you give us an example of just one thing on the vision board, like I'm trying to picture myself actually, you know, taking run it, what's here, scrambled in here, put it out there, onto side, start.
Speaker 3: With putting it, throwing it all up there.
Speaker 4: Just get it out of here and put it up on a board where you're actually seeing all the things that are in your head. And then you start to sort of some of them rise to the top, and then the ones that rise to the top energetically, opportunities will come to you that will fit with those. It's there's something about you know, definitely about envisioning the life you want and really getting specific about it, and then once your mind is in that energetic place, things will come to you. It is I can't really explain it. It's just the way it is, and I.
Speaker 2: Feel it's you are explaining it. I just I love specifics, like I work so well. I can't be big, you know, sort of dream of something, make it happen has never worked for me. I want to know. Okay, so I'm going to go out to Staples and I'm going to buy the piece of post word.
Speaker 3: You can get a poster, order a white board.
Speaker 1: I like a white yeah, I mean it like I like.
Speaker 2: I like instructions.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, get a bose. Then put it all up on the board. Get all your ideas out, you.
Speaker 2: Know, you give us an example, like what was one of the ones. Hell's one of the ones that you put up there.
Speaker 4: And then the one for twenty twenty four was start my brand, start a brand, Start my brand, and I had specifically start me by Jenny Garth.
Speaker 3: That was the brand, and.
Speaker 4: I had no concept of how I was going to do it. I had I've never started a brand from I have started a brand from the ground up with a partner, but I had never done it solo, and so I knew how to do it step by step. It was just a matter of like hunkering down and doing the work, because it is a nine to six pm job.
Speaker 3: Every single day I.
Speaker 4: Go into my office, I submer urge myself in the world that I want to create with, you know, those inspirational messages in front of me, and then I just work.
Speaker 3: I make calls, I send emails, I.
Speaker 4: Think about who do I know, what doors could I find that are slightly open, and then those are the things that sort of fall into place.
Speaker 3: One of the things, you know, one of the.
Speaker 4: Things has always to make sure I'm creating in a daily a date on my daily calendar, me time where you know, whether it's going to the gym, whether it's going and taking a nice bath, doing like a whole skincare moment for myself, whether it's eating healthy, prepping my food.
Speaker 3: You know, all those things are part of the whole picture.
Speaker 4: So you have to really think about what your balanced life will look like, and so the specifics of it are just as important as doing it.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just you've got to really visualize it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you feel happier now at your age? And so I've also battled pression and anxiety and all of that. But as I've gotten older, I feel better about myself, about my life. I mean, and it's funny, right, it seems antithetical to aging, but I feel more calm and peaceful and like I have just more of a sense of self. Are you, And I'm thinking about you, coming from such fame and fortunate at such a young age, you probably I would think that you feel even calmer and better about yourself now than maybe when you were seventeen.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean in my early life I was thrown into this world such a fish out of water, really trying struggling to figure out my place and how.
Speaker 3: To maintain my own sense of self within it all. And that was really hard for me.
Speaker 4: I mean, not to mention, my job was stepping into somebody else's shoes every day, putting on a different character, whatever the job was. So it's been a lot of my time not even being myself. It was being another somebody, whoever the character was I was portraying, And so I really lost myself along.
Speaker 3: The way, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't have, you know, And I'm kind of the person too that loses themselves in I've lost myself in motherhood.
Speaker 3: I lost myself in.
Speaker 4: My relationship, and it took a lot of work to reclaim my identity and fall back in love with myself first and foremost. And I think that when you reach that point where you can honestly tell yourself I love you and I'm going to take care of you today, that's the point when your life just starts to blossom and it's indescribable.
Speaker 1: Was that reason that realization?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I turned fifty and I was like, Okay, I've got to get my shit together. I need to have some I need to figure out my purpose. I need to have that drive that I know is inside of me and there are things that I know I'm destined to do. But I was just afraid. I was frozen with fear, and I was I didn't think there was room for me. Like you look, say you want to start a skincare line.
Speaker 3: There's a million skincare lines.
Speaker 4: Out there, right and you look on the internet and you're seeing your feet and you're like, oh my gosh, look how beautiful that is? And look how successful they are, and wow, that's such a cool group of women. And once I stop thinking like I'm watching it and started thinking like I'm in it with them, Like I found this like ability to find my seat at that table within my own concept. You know.
Speaker 1: I love that because I'm going through the same thing right now. I just started my second book and I'm like, well, I'm never going to write it as well as like all these people on the bestseller list, But I have to stop. I have to just think of myself as one of them. Right, So you just have to think.
Speaker 3: Of yourself every day.
Speaker 4: Remind yourself to go back to the who you are at your core, what makes you authentic to yourself, and just stop trying to be what anybody else thinks or wants or expects, but just come back to I am enough.
Speaker 3: Like I know it sounds corny and but it's so true.
Speaker 4: Like just on the way home from the gym, I was like, oh my god, I love myself so much. I was like doing my affirmations in the car. And it's daily practice. It's daily work.
Speaker 3: If you want to know.
Speaker 1: It's also probably staying off of social media because that's a landscape where everybody tells you who you are, and especially as a reality persona where you're living your real life and the cameras they tell you know how well you're living or if you're you know, doing well at life or not. And it's really like you can convince yourself of the majority opinion on there when.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and you can.
Speaker 1: I mean, I do it.
Speaker 4: I don't scroll doom scrolling they call it, right, and I get into a real place of compare despair, Like when I start looking to everybody else's perfect lives and how accomplished and successful and fun it looks, I go to a place that's not healthy for me, like and I have to stay I have to stay away from it. And that's a daily choice to just stay focused on the prize for myself and for my family and not let all that other stuff get in my head because I are you able.
Speaker 1: To do it?
Speaker 3: With it in there?
Speaker 2: Are you able to stop? I mean, I've tried made this promise to myself, and every day I'm still not there yet I get sucked back into the abyss. I mean it's so depressing because I know that days that I don't do it, hours that I don't get stuck scrolling. Are happier hours, yeah, more peaceful hours, right, But I still still it pulls me back in.
Speaker 4: I know, I'll find myself dipping in a little bit, Like I'll go in and try and do I like to engage with my with my friends on there, and I will be like and then I'll all sudden by myself scrolling and I'm like, ohoa, we're not doing that. We have other things that are more important than this. So you just got to talk yourself down.
Speaker 1: So you're three girls there are they're adults now, right? I mean there were always little girls on the red carpet with you. Are they are they home? Are you empty nesting?
Speaker 4: I'm about to officially enter into the empty nests zone my eighteen year old graduating.
Speaker 3: It's the last. However, I have a daughter that moved back in with me, uh.
Speaker 4: So, which I love, Like I'm not compained at all, But she still feels like she is fulling the coop. So I kind of feel like a roommate with her now, which.
Speaker 1: Is how I love. Yeah, and you're all.
Speaker 3: Doing their own things, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: That's really great. It's great to watch your kids just succeed in life. It is many actresses been married. You've been married to Dave is your third husband? You said, yeah, yeah, okay, and there's a nine year age gap. Was that difficult to navigate? Was it? Did you not feel it?
Speaker 3: I definitely considered it.
Speaker 4: In the very beginning, I knew that we were in two different sort of developmental places because I had just come out of doing a ton and ton a ton of self work and going on solo trips and you know, seeking out all the things I could find to enrich myself.
Speaker 3: And he was not in that space yet.
Speaker 4: But we fell for each other and he fulfilled a lot of different parts of me, Like he brought in this beautiful levity, and he made our family feel that laughter again, which we had kind of lost after the divorce. And yeah, and he and his young that young side of him was really fun for me. But I later learned that he's basically an eighty eight old man in a forty four year old body, which actually works for me because, like I said, I'm a homebody.
Speaker 3: I love to just be with my family and he does too.
Speaker 4: But it was it is something and we just actually talked about it recently the other day that that gap, that age gap is never going to go away. We might feel like we're the same age because we're you know, always together and doing the same things, but developmentally, I am nine years ahead of him, and we all know women, well most women, some women kind of evolve quicker than men. So it's about like looking at where each of us are and respecting that and trying, for me, trying to not have any expectations of him being where I am all the time and letting him be where he is, which is almost a decade difference, you know, and that's there's so much growth that happens, especially well in every decade of your life. But I found so much for me personally in my forties into my fifties. A lot of people feel it in their thirties. But I always say I'm kind of ten years behind because I was on nine or two and zero for ten years and that was such a bubble experience of not developing normally.
Speaker 3: So I've always said I'm like ten years behind.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that the age difference, well, it doesn't feel like it day to day.
Speaker 3: You have to do you have to kind of step back and look big picture and recognize.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, I go, it doesn't feel like that big of an age difference to me, maybe because I know it's ten years and ten years my husband and I are almost seven years apart. He's older, but maybe because he is the man that he just still is younger.
Speaker 4: No, it's definitely a different dynamic when the man is older than the woman.
Speaker 3: Woman is older.
Speaker 4: Than the man in the relationship and she's successful and completely independent.
Speaker 3: There are so many different things that come into play.
Speaker 1: How did you meet Dave?
Speaker 2: How did you meet him?
Speaker 4: We met a blind double date, like a setup with a double another couple, and that's when.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I never heard of that. That's clever, that it was a setup.
Speaker 1: Did you so you had a difficult divorce from Peter Practice, I.
Speaker 4: Would say in behind closed doors it was extremely difficult.
Speaker 1: Yes, was that? Did you think that you would find love again?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't want to find love again. I was so really Now, after I got over the trauma and the pain and like gluing myself somehow back together into this new form of a human, I was like, yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I don't want to date, I don't want to do anything. And then people started to like, you should go on this go to dinner with this guy.
Speaker 4: I know, Okay, I'll try it, I'll practice. And as I started to do that, I start to really get very clear on what I didn't want moving forward. So it was easy for me to make a list of like my non negotiables, the things that I was looking for in a partner, and the things that really just wouldn't work for me moving forward in my life. And I was able to really define those and I had to give and take on some of them for sure, and also just allow for Dave to.
Speaker 3: Have growth in his life, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's a completely different person than he was when I met him.
Speaker 3: He's a different person than he was yesterday.
Speaker 4: Like I really believe in allowing yourself to evolve on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a podcast dedicated to remarriage divorce. I do Part two. Yes, it's another iHeart podcast, one of three that you host currently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have OG which is the Rewatch Have I Choose Me, which is my solo project in kind of in the health and wellness space, And I have I Do Part two, which is Yeah, finding Love the second time.
Speaker 2: Actually I've been doing I've been hosting some of them myself. Yeah, I'm married. Yeah, I'm married twenty five years. But my husband and I were separated for a year and a half and it was you know, it's it's a very different thing than what I picture that it would be coming back together. I mean, everybody has that story. I guess on some level. Everybody changes and relationships evolve and they change, and there's always a part two. I feel like sometimes it's you know, it's divorce, or it's separation, or unfortunately sometimes people are widowed. But it's very interesting. I feel like this second time around, and even though I've been married, I've definitely there are different dynamics in my marriage than I ever thought that there would be. But I think it's such a fascinating topic, right.
Speaker 3: It really is. The relationships are not easy.
Speaker 4: It's not I don't know if it's natural for you to meet somebody a complete stranger and then be with them twenty four hours a day, every single day, for the rest of your life, Like that's a big commitment.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think it's just about allowing each person to have their individuality and then really cherishing that middle space that you both share and that you both put energy into that's your relationship, but really maintaining those that you are your own unique, you know, whole and complete humans without one of them.
Speaker 1: I love that. And Peter came on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, and yeah, Peter was on the podcast. He was on I Choose Me?
Speaker 1: And how was that for you guys? Was that healing at all?
Speaker 3: Or it was?
Speaker 4: I was very uneasy going in. I didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't really even have anything prepared. I just wanted to sit down on a couch with them. We had never sat and down and talked. It was always texting. Wow, it was always emailing and just like budding heads constantly for.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe he agreed to that. This is some brain I know to.
Speaker 1: Do it publicly. It was so scary and brave.
Speaker 3: I know. Well.
Speaker 4: I really went to him and I said, A, nothing will go out that you don't want to go out, and b why don't we use our story to help other people see that they can do it, they can get through this because it was very difficult for us, and I think through sharing our story it made us closer.
Speaker 3: It kind of closed that loop of.
Speaker 4: Anger and pain and resentment and It sort of put us on a level of we have a friendship now and a newfound respect for one another because I had never heard him say the things that he told me on that podcast really and it was really interesting.
Speaker 3: I didn't do much talking. I just literally let him talk, and so much poured out of him.
Speaker 4: It was really, I think, good for him, it was good for me, and it was definitely good for our daughters.
Speaker 1: Oh so that's great. You feel like your co parenting relationship changed after that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Wow, amazing And how is everything today?
Speaker 3: Everything today is, you know, much better.
Speaker 4: We stayed at his house during the fires, like I feel comfortable, like saying, you know, we need a home to stay in, can we come to yours? And he was yes, of course, And we spend time together. We can go to dinner together. We can hang out.
Speaker 1: Now you go to dinner together?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wait? Is he remarried?
Speaker 3: He is engaged and he has a two year old baby.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's huge. That's not easy to get there.
Speaker 4: It really isn't. But there was so much Like I was starting to feel like I was holding on to the anger and the pain, and I started to recognize a bitterness in myself and it's just an overall negative.
Speaker 3: Feeling like a cloud. And I was said to myself.
Speaker 4: I do not want this moving forward. This is not the me I want to be, and I really how to just release it, work really hard to release it, because at the end of the day, you guys, it does not matter.
Speaker 3: Nothing matters.
Speaker 4: All the arguments, all the disagreements, all the issues, they don't matter. What matters is how you make people feel in the moment, and how your kids need to feel moving forward in their life and see their parents' relationship. I think it's just evolution and getting to a place where you prioritize the things.
Speaker 3: That are really important to you.
Speaker 4: And for me, peace and kindness are just like at the forefront of what I want to focus on.
Speaker 1: I love that. I feel like I need you to be in my Life's amazing. Everything that you're saying makes so much sense to me. I mean in this moment where I just am all most fifty and just don't really know where I want my life to go. Do your daughters want to be actresses? Are the actresses?
Speaker 4: No? One of My oldest daughter tried it, dappled in it, both commercials.
Speaker 3: I did a movie with her.
Speaker 4: I think that the level of rejection was hard for her and it didn't make her feel good like in her heart.
Speaker 3: So she pivoted.
Speaker 4: And my middle daughter is into fashion and she's actually my creative design director on the brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we work together every day.
Speaker 4: And my youngest daughter, the one that's about to graduate from high school, she is interested in psychology and she is a huge inspiration. I'm really excited about what's about to happen for her. She's going to create her own platform and her own podcast that's going to really reach young girls who have been in similar situations as she has and just talk about that struggle and how hard it is to be a young girl in this day and age.
Speaker 2: I love that. I absolutely love that.
Speaker 1: And it's a testament that your daughters want to work with you, you know, I want to do a film with you and want to work on you know, on your fashion label with you.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: My really best friends. It's weird, we're best friends. I've always been like, hey, guys, I am codependent.
Speaker 3: So deal with it.
Speaker 2: And the same yeah, like, welcome to the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: If you're working with it. I'm okay with it.
Speaker 4: But I've sort of SOT in this new place of like, how about we try interdependence where we're you know, again.
Speaker 2: We're branding but on our ice.
Speaker 3: But we still need and love each other, you know, and we're all flying with that.
Speaker 2: Jenny, tell us about the fashion line, I tell us exactly what I mean. You know, You've talked a lot about what the goals, but what is specifically what is this fashion?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's exclusive to TVC first and foremost, so I have the wonderful design team there that I work with pretty much on a daily basis, and we are designing. I would call this ready to wear day like easy to throw on looks that you can just go about your business in your day, uh and feel strong and confident and put together and beautiful and comfortable. I mean that's the like driving force for me is comfort, and I'm really pushing towards trying to get more sustainability in there.
Speaker 3: It's a challenge, but I'm not afraid of a challenge, so I'm going to keep pushing that. But I love our clothes. I wear them every single day.
Speaker 2: Like that sweater. I love the sweater you wear sweater.
Speaker 3: The shirt and the pants you got.
Speaker 1: I know, I love it.
Speaker 3: They're all Jenny, They're all by Jenny Garth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they're I'm like scrunched up in my outfit and.
Speaker 3: I feel so comfortable.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I have so many plans for tonight. Chop on QBC, make my vision board. Oh my god, I want it.
Speaker 3: That sounds fun. Can I come hang out?
Speaker 1: We'll do it together, please please. My kids are all going out, so I'll just be driving. So what what TV projects? Movie projects? Can we look forward to seeing you in?
Speaker 3: Nothing right now? Which I am telling you that, I mean, I even just you know, I really was specific.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 3: I just turned down and offer a couple of days ago.
Speaker 4: Scary, the very scary, scariest hell second, guessing myself for days afterwards, thinking oh, should I have done it? The money would have been great and it's always good to do another movie like it keeps you going, And I thought, no, that's not what I want to spend my time waiting in a trailer for people to tell me that they're ready.
Speaker 3: It set for me like, I want to be out there.
Speaker 4: I want to be connecting, I want to be creating, and I want to be inspiring.
Speaker 3: You know, So I do you want to spit into my category.
Speaker 2: Right now, that's scary and it's so admirable. That's so cool. Like you've been saying yes for so long, right and to really become a grown up and say it's so scary. But this does not serve me anymore. Yeah, right on my own. Yeah, not right now, not in this moment. Good for you.
Speaker 1: I really feel like I'm going to take so many things from this conversation, like it caught me at the right moment in my life. I loved it and I'm really excited to have met you. In my head, you will always be Kelly Taylor, but you're also a really remarkable woman who's accomplished so much. So so thank you for joining us today. So nice of you.
Speaker 3: All this compliments, Thank you.
Speaker 1: No, it's real, sir. It Yeah, So we'll we'll look forward to checking out your your projects and I'm going to make a vision board and if any of it comes comes through, I'm going to DM you and like you know, change that when it comes through, when it comes, when it comes through.
Speaker 4: Yes, it really matters how we talk to ourselves.
Speaker 1: As that's true. What's the name of the sweater?
Speaker 2: Just just.
Speaker 3: This is if you go to GBC dot com.
Speaker 4: You can type in me by Jenny Garth in the search bar, and it's called the Frankie Turtleneck and it's got a cute little hen.
Speaker 1: It's going to be at the top of GENS vision board by the Frankie.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not going to have time to put it on the board because I'm gonna have to get off the pod QBC dot com. It just looks, it's just so, it's pretty uncomfortable looking, and that's exactly how I like to dress good.
Speaker 3: I hope I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 3: You're so welcome. I loved it.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Okay, have a good one.
Speaker 1: Bye. She was amazing. I feel like that caught me right at a moment.
Speaker 2: You know, Billie, why what's going on with you?
Speaker 1: Just because I'm trying to figure out what else to do. I mean, the show is on pause right who knows if it's coming back? And I wake up a lot and think, well, if it doesn't come back, what am I going to do when I'm done waiting?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And like, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: Even even though you were writing a second book, we have not even discussed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just it just started. Yeah started.
Speaker 2: It wasn't news to me. How exciting is that?
Speaker 1: No, I haven't. I don't really, I haven't really spoken about it yet because it's so so brand new. But yeah, it's really exciting. But also, like you get that imposter syndrome where you're like, can I do this? You know it's not it's not memoir, it's it's a novel. So it's almost like it's so new for me, and like I have all these ideas and it's really fun, but then I get these moments where I'm like, there's so much better novelists out there, and then like I read I read stuff about like I'm deep diving on White lotus right now. So I was reading like the New York Times magazine did this thing, I'm Parker Posy and they were talking about like Mike White and his head and like what all these relationships mean. And I was like, God, like my characters aren't that in depth yet, you know, maybe I should stop. And then I'm like, no, like we don't all have to be Mike White, Like it doesn't have to be like an Emmy winning thing. Right at the beginning, right.
Speaker 2: Like we should do if we should do an episode just on this, because I find that so many things in my life I've given up on because I thought it's not going to be as good as it's not going to be as big, as it's not going to be enough. And like ideas that I had. I had this one idea going back years and years of doing a clothing line called Monday Mornings, and I wanted it be spelled m O U r n I ngs. It was kind of kitchy because like on Mondays, you're kind of in mourning about all the self destructive shit you did to yourself over the weekend, right, And I was going to have it be you see it a lot now like jeans slash sweatpants, right, I feel like sweatpants, but their genes. I wanted to do something where like the size was instead of saying size six, it would say usually a six or or a six during the week, and then make the clothes that were just easy to slip into and comfortable and made you not feel so restricted. Anyway, I had this idea, and imposter syndrome got the best of me, and it just never got even off the ground because somebody else was going to have it, or somebody else is going to do it, or somebody was better at it, somebody else's hard.
Speaker 1: Follow through is hard. It also it takes a lot of work. I am somebody who loves immediate gratification, and the fact that writing a book takes so long is something that also turns me off. But it's a lot of fun. It's definitely off the ground, but it is still new. So once it's once i'm sure of it, I'll talk more about it. But in the meantime, i'm just My point is that, like, it's really easy to get stuck in this I don't know what I want thing, But I think that vision board idea is very appealing because then you can visualize what you want, right, you can spell it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, seems more manageable, maybe when you look at it in like little pieces, right Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I also need to remind myself of the part where part of what I should want for my life is peace and to filled my life with loving relationships, true friendships, you know, So I have to work that in. It's not all about like what's going to make me money and give me visibility and stuff.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 1: So I also have a hard time, you know, remembering my priorities. What my priority is.
Speaker 2: Very honest, and I can definitely relate to that. That's like work on that a lot in therapy, like without any of the hoopla or like whatever comes along with this little tiny bit of game. And I've been again, you've been doing this way longer than I haven't a way bigger capacity. But like all of that is really not what matters is knowing that I'm enough, Like just as Jenny was saying, it sounds cheesy, but like I'm good without any of that, without any of the extra, right, Like I'm enough, I'm special enough. We all are getting kind of crunchy now, but I mean, I know.
Speaker 1: It's true, And working on myself the past few years, I've definitely I'm definitely getting much closer to that place where I know, no matter what my job title is or what I accomplish work wise, I am enough and I'm loved and you know all that gooey stuff. But you know, it's it's hard to job job wise. If you're a worker, it's it's hard. Anyway, I loved this and I loved her, and I'm definitely going to put in play some of the things she suggested. She really is an inspiring.
Speaker 2: Woman, Yes she is. By the way, does age she's dis gorgeous?
Speaker 1: No, I know she's beautiful too. Wow. All right, this was really fun and h and until next time, guys, we hope you love this episode. Give us five stars and we will see you next time.
Speaker 2: Thanks you guys.