Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison, and new he Scruggs.
Speaker 1: Players Lounges back. Let's Rye, Barry Church, heck Ma Harrison.
Speaker 4: I'm new he Scruggs, Danny McCrae's outworking Cowboy Council. He's not here today. We are not in beautiful Oxar, California. We are right here at the Star in Frisco, in this beautiful in this beautiful studio with all the.
Speaker 1: Good air conditions. Yes, sir, Yes, sir, that's number one for him.
Speaker 5: Everybody I told him before he even got here, dropped the thermostat on there right.
Speaker 1: I think relying energy got us for you.
Speaker 4: It's all good, It's all good. We must start with the money, okay. Bottom line is you have to start with the money because this is that time of year where teams are trying to get deals done. The Cowboys, we know, are sitting here with some good players that they've got to talk. We talked about it before. Dak Prescott, CD Lamb, Micah Parsons. You got Treybond Diggs. These are guys who are coming up. They got digs done before the first practice here. So five year, ninety seven million dollar extension. Todd Archer breaks it down at six years, one hundred and four million dollars for.
Speaker 1: Trey Bond Diggs.
Speaker 4: Bonus twenty one point three I sheuly said, twenty one point two five million with guarantees. Get up forty two point three million dollars for a corner that folks have been looking for since Dion Sanders left here.
Speaker 1: I know there's a bunch of people that wanted Byron Jones to get paid.
Speaker 4: I was one of those that said, you know, I like Byron Jones, but you don't take the ball away.
Speaker 1: You pay.
Speaker 4: You pay for people to snatch. Snatch that all the way. That's at a quarterback league. So dig just paid. Let me start with you your thoughts.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it's well deserved. It's well deserved.
Speaker 6: I think they had to get this done because he's one of the cornerstone pieces of that defense that seems to just be rising as the years go on and if we look at his game, you know, his rookie year gave up a lot of yards. But to me, what stood out the most is he's coachable because then that following year he came back eleven interceptions. Out there, he's taking the football away, just like you said, like the top corners should be able to do. If you can take the football away and create offense on your own, I mean you're gonna be one of the highest paid corners, as.
Speaker 1: We see with Trayvon Days.
Speaker 6: And he follows that back up again after the eleven interception year, he became to me the complete corner because he was locked down. I mean he went to get some of the top receivers in the game hit him to one two catches.
Speaker 1: I think A J.
Speaker 6: Brownly had one catch down, So I think it's well deserved. He's becoming that complete corner.
Speaker 1: And with the addition of Stefan gillwhere this could be a dangerous duo.
Speaker 5: I mean, look at look at Treylon from this aspect, he was a second round guy, so he didn't have the fifth round option. That was the thing that really made his deal. I have to do situation for the Cowboys. Now, when you look at where he is. As far as the contract that they signed, they did not reset the market. So that's them to this whole deal is that he didn't want to get paid more than some of those top guys in the league. And I think with all of the things that you have coming down the pipeline, if you're Stephen Jones, he does not want to be known as that guy that kicks the can down the road and always gets guys signed late, like he did with Dak and some other contracts that we've seen, right, But you had to get Trayvon dis done and that deal is done now, and I think it's a it's a team friendly deal that also allows you now to get some other pressing needs done.
Speaker 1: Somebody's getting the cap, somebody's.
Speaker 5: Getting to tag you know they I don't want to hear that, but I think the deal that they made happen when Trayvon they had to and he was in the advance, he had the advantage and he got paid all right.
Speaker 4: Todd Archer breaks it down here for by the way, Todd Archer of ESPN dot Com breaks down the money. Uh So this year twenty twenty three, one million dollars twenty twenty four eleven million dollars hit, twenty twenty five nine million, twenty twenty six fourteen point five million dollars, twenty twenty seven nineteen point five million dollars, and twenty twenty eight twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: So he's got an active roster bonuses.
Speaker 4: Totally one million dollars from year twenty four through twenty twenty eight, and he can make an additional six hundred thousand dollars per year through escalators. Escalators each year, five interceptions plus the playoffs is three hundred thousand dollars. Seven interceptions plus the playoffs six hundred thousand doables. So these are these are doable things there. And one more thing we talked about with Diggs while he had that rough first year. That was with Mike Nolan. Nobody on dealbo. You're bringing dan Quinn and and and and there you know, there you go. So the interesting thing about that go back to cd Am getting drafted. The Falcons had to pick before Dallas when dan Quinn was there. They took corner A J. Terrell and you and I were talking. We we both said we wanted a corner in the first round, and we said Diggs Yep, doesn't happen. They get him in the second round. So here dan Quinn getting the coaching. And I asked dan Quinn two years ago, I was like, why did you take him?
Speaker 1: Kind of danced around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're both gonna be good players. But and I asked, did you ask him? Terrell really over me? But the man's got the bag. So all's well ended well for Diggs. So I'm with you. This was a this is a must have going into into you know, because of the second round, four year contract versus five. You didn't want to throw a tag.
Speaker 1: On the player.
Speaker 4: You didn't, you couldn't, and he didn't want to play this year anyway, you want to risk it out there. So I thought that I thought this was a good contract. I thought when when you know top averaged, you know top five, and you're not set in the market here, I thought there was a win for them. Let's get into Zach Martin. Okay, Cowboys future Hall of Fame guard.
Speaker 1: We can say that with confidence. You look at him as an.
Speaker 4: All decade player, the numerous Pro Bowls. When you go down the list of people at their jobs and what they do, Zach Martin, if you want to tell me somebody's better go ahead.
Speaker 1: But he's not a can't see it. He's not a camp and he's not happy.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I've said to people, Jerry took care of him in his last contract, made him the highest paid guard the game. So he was good fourteen mil. Okay, but the TV contractor has been resigned. The markets are going up, and so top guard Quentin Nelson over the Colts former Notre Dame player like Zach Martin.
Speaker 1: Twenty million.
Speaker 6: Pizza gap, right right, that's that's a gap, that's a healthy gap.
Speaker 1: So he's not a camp. The Cowboys, I thought, did the smart thing. We're not addressing it.
Speaker 4: Never'll talk about go talk about it, because what can you say.
Speaker 1: There's really nothing. You don't want anything.
Speaker 4: Here's a player that you love. Okay, clearly everybody loves it. Yes, you look at it. Now he's under paid, but this is what happened. What's what's what's Mahomes now underpaid by see Justin Herbert get paid Caliber, get paid.
Speaker 1: You Patrick Mahomes. I'm better than him.
Speaker 4: So this is this is what the markets do. So heck, how do you how do you fix this?
Speaker 5: You know, I know it's it's It shocked me when I got the news, first of all, because I think we already had Trayvon Days, we had CD Lamb, We're even talking about Micah.
Speaker 1: You know what we're gonna do with him.
Speaker 5: The last person that I was thinking that would be saying it's my time, my turn is Zach Martin.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's really strange.
Speaker 5: Because the Cowboys organization has paid him early and often it seems like they've never been had a misstep with him, and Zach Martin, to me, is a made man around here, and people won't talk about them dead players that you just say, hey, these are made men. Jason Witten one of those guys are made man. Zach Martin the best at what he does, made man and the market even though it's gotten away from the Cowboys, from Quentin Nelson to his contract when he signed, like you said, I knew he was the highest paid guard in the league. But right now this is I don't want to call it strong arming, but he's working his leverage to a way that I don't think that the Dallas Cowboys anticipated him doing it.
Speaker 1: Could have could it.
Speaker 5: Have been worked out a little bit more quieter because who do we need more than anybody on that offensive line.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on that, Mark.
Speaker 5: I'm not in a position, No one is in a position to act like we don't need this guy. This guy ties tern steel and to be hodish and the synergy and the way that this whole offensive line works.
Speaker 1: So look, I'm working.
Speaker 5: I'm hoping that this is one of those contracts that they can get done quietly without it seemed like, hey, he's strong armed, you let him right now, right now. They in that situation because he is the guy. You absolutely need him. You can't talk about his age, you can't talk about his injuries. There's no knock on this guy because he has been the best at his position for a very long time. And when he comes knocking you, hey, you gotta respect it. Even though they don't want to talk about it. You gotta respect because.
Speaker 4: There's there's and this is my opinion, you don't talk about it because there's nothing you can say. It's gonna come out good. I mean, yes, he deserves to get paid. Now, Okay, see you said it. Now you know well, yo, you kind of contract, you better sign it.
Speaker 1: You better on. There's nothing to say other than to me the best thing to.
Speaker 6: Say, talk about it, and that's true. But at the end of the day, they gotta pay this man. I mean, they got to pay this man. He is the best offensive lineman, not only on a Dallas Cowboys team, but maybe in the entire NFL. We know he's the best guard, but his position flex out there. We've seen this offensive line do musical chairs throughout the years.
Speaker 1: They tackle play tackle. Guy can get play. He probably plays center if he wants to.
Speaker 6: So, like you said, Knui, I mean he ties everybody together on that offensive line, an aging offensive line with some young pieces. They need that guy in there, and they got to pay him a sap because.
Speaker 1: We don't want this thing to stretch out.
Speaker 4: You know what if it goes in the week one and you know we got gotta put ball over there.
Speaker 1: At the guard. These are all possibilities, you know what I'm saying. You know, we really can't have that back there running for his life. So you gotta pay this man, and you gotta be as so as a player, how do you inform the team? Oh that that's that's for me personally. I'm agent. You gotta handle that because.
Speaker 4: You know he's one of the he's the leader of somebody to make the we got to make the coole in there. And do you call the coach. I mean this McCarthy cay called him up, like, hey, you know, that's what's going on here.
Speaker 6: And I'm sure you know macarthy's talked to you know, Dak and other leaders of this.
Speaker 1: Team, you know, reach out to Zach.
Speaker 6: You don't see what we can get him in here, just to you know, he doesn't have to practice, but he can just be around the team. And I'm sure they reached out to him. But hey, the man, the man's playing the leverage.
Speaker 5: Like you said, he's in a smart movie. It's a smart move, and I completely understand it.
Speaker 1: From a players standpoint.
Speaker 5: They have to be more aggressive about the way that they get their deals done and the CBA all of these things that we've seen be narrated through the media on how guys are.
Speaker 1: Not getting paid.
Speaker 5: Zach Martin is not gonna be six million dollars paid less than a guy that's not even in his caliber. He's the best interior lineman in the league. You have to pay him like that. And so that's I mean, that's just just okay.
Speaker 4: So, so here's one thing that I have I had discussions with people about.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm you know, me and your boy till.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get this story. I'm gonna get this. I'm gonna get the story. Go back to go back to his time in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: After year one, like that's not it got track, not good.
Speaker 4: I've out performed the contract, lit up, lit up And normally when players ask for my money, they get lit up. Zack Martin is not being lit up. People are understanding. And it goes back to the line I always say when I was doing sports radio, it's interesting on who we choose to condemn and who we choose to forgive who we provide forgiveness to. This is true because at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Day, it is sign a contract. The team did make him the number one guy.
Speaker 4: Heckma one thing we know, whatever you signed today is going to change because of the way the cap keeps growing everything else. So you're you know, it's almost like trying to time it. Well, you can't really time it right. So but as the team go, how are you supposed to address this?
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 4: Across the league, if you're Patrick Mahomes, you should be in there too. I mean, there's certain players in this leaving that Hey, you the best at what you do and your spot at Mark's the best of this spot, Patrick Mahoons's best spot. No, you counsel, you go, hey, we just wanted the super Bowl here you got ridtired. I mean you literally can have a line. There's certain you could have six seven guys in his league lining up saying you know, yo, wet my beak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those guys, I mean they're making a sacrifice. Don't get me Mahomes.
Speaker 1: And his type.
Speaker 5: They're making a sacrifice by not going back to the well and saying, hey, pay me what these other guys are getting paid.
Speaker 1: That tight end is just.
Speaker 5: As important as any player in the league and what he does production wise, I'm saying when it comes to Zach Martin, and I think it's really the dynamic between the guys that get literally drug through the mud in the media and the guys that don't. To me, Zach Martin is the most consistent interior lineman to play in the NFL in a very long time.
Speaker 1: It's a generational talent holding calls. But I mean these are premia numbers are off the charts.
Speaker 5: When you there's no narrative that you could write about this guy other than he's really good. And if you look at the greatest players of all time, and I'm not calling them Michael Jordan or anything like that, but drastically underpaid. But in this market, he has to get everything that he can. At thirty two years old, he's not going to allow for twelve million dollars to go through his hands, in his family's hands without getting paid that. I mean, Look, if you ever taken the finance class, money in the hand is better than money tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You had to get to me right now.
Speaker 4: I've taken taken more than a few of the financially called president value versus fellow he need fv Okay.
Speaker 1: So I totally understand it.
Speaker 4: But once again, it's the perception in how players freed it and how we go by it. I remember when people were having a connection about Dak Prescott, make it forty million, ah, forty million, I weren't doing that worth it now? I mean, this man, but this man depended right, this man is so far down Kyler Murray out here playing Xbox make it make it six million more than that, I mean.
Speaker 5: And imagine that and BC guy just got paid. I mean, come on, and he hadn't even won a playoff game and nobody's dragging him.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's interesting when you talk about that.
Speaker 4: Yes, justin Herbert of the charges made and it's been like good for him, good for him. And I was watching that that Charger Jacksonville game at the gym this week, just watching that fourth quarter meltdown. But I'll say this, I will say that, but but I just I just can chinue there are go.
Speaker 1: I said, who we choose to condemn and who we choose?
Speaker 4: So so Dak is on that lit I hadn't done this, prove it that, Just Herbert, come on, get your back.
Speaker 5: And guess and guess what. You gotta get Dak done again here pretty soon.
Speaker 4: And and that's that. That's the team's fault. We'll talk about that because you go back. I mean I will, I will never forget this one being an OX star and we're asking the questions after WinCE and Golf got that money. Do you know Golf is still on that money he signed with the Rams, He's still this is last year on it.
Speaker 5: That's how outrageous that contract was at the time.
Speaker 4: But they could have had they could have had dak Here'll make it thirty.
Speaker 1: That's true twenty eight.
Speaker 5: At one point I thought was the going raid for where he was, and they waited and ended up having to be forty million dollars. But I think look front office wise, and just going back to going to a player like Tony Pollard and where he was last season to where he is under the attack. I don't think Tony Pollard is is upset about being tagged. No, I think he's I mean, some of it works out though.
Speaker 4: Well Stephen right, I meant Stephen Jones said somebody thought was kind of right where he says, Look, we offered him as long term extension. Tony didn't want it. Now we don't know the numbers of it. But I go back to last year Schultz was offered long term extentsion. He said, no, he's in Houston, shout, don't commitment.
Speaker 1: Just went out here, oh Coke committment. I got he making twelve and a half.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: I mean so at some point in time, you really do need to ask yourself, hey, man, are these dollars I'm taking?
Speaker 1: Should I take a long term deal? In Church? You played here, you're.
Speaker 4: In Texas free right by yourself, a nice home tax.
Speaker 1: Really you like it here? It's the cowboy, I mean, big city, all sports teams, I mean got right.
Speaker 4: So so I don't know exactly what Schultz turned down with you.
Speaker 1: Living in Houston.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, that's an example of bedding on yourself and not winning.
Speaker 1: Man, do you have a collachure agent? How does that? How does that work? After you know it might have been I mean no, I don't want that. I don't even know. No, I want that.
Speaker 6: Long term deal and endured and two young cats came in and kind of yeah, tight end room had been the same since so I kind of brought that on itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this is so so Tony Pollard is apparently they offered a deal. He didn't want the deals go play out the ten million dollars. Here's the one thing we know the way this is going. Tony's not going to get ten million dollars next year. No, no, no, no, not get to tech. So so just like don't Show's got paid ten point one million dollars.
Speaker 1: You think about don'd show's got paid more, running back don'd Show's got paid more?
Speaker 4: Then then the franchise tad for running back last year as they tied end. But he's not getting sick. He's not getting ten million dollars this year. So once again the finance class in might me need to be taught nfl P. A guy's got that.
Speaker 5: Everybody get in the right way.
Speaker 1: And that he be present value f the future value your dollars.
Speaker 5: Is then what Laby and Bill was apologizing. If I mean that is that is the classes example.
Speaker 4: And guys, I shouldn't know that at twelve, I should have walked away from twelve million dollars in my pocket.
Speaker 6: But if you're a running back position and you guys have this huge you know, zoom call or we gotta get our value right and then the main guy behind it, you know the very.
Speaker 1: Next day is that you know what to be signed?
Speaker 4: He I mean, first off, at least wait a couple of weeks. If training can't stay at home, it's out of flex.
Speaker 5: The writings, the writing is on the wall for the position. And he come on, man, he saw what everybody else sees. But to get that money, you get that money. Okay, here's the thing I would have done.
Speaker 4: Okay, the money's gonna be because they clearly they know they need it. So it was like they will tear up the offer you don't get your ten. I wouldn't have been at camp. I'd have found LT went on the place with golf of LT. Remember that time when LT held out and this show until the first game had like two seconds everything in LT.
Speaker 1: So I would have held out.
Speaker 4: I would have gone to the Bahamas and you know, taking the pictures instagram, be sitting on the beach.
Speaker 1: I'd enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: But this man folded the cars and he reported the I mean, at least take a couple.
Speaker 5: Of weeks off camp on a rookie. A rookie is the highest paid running back in the league right now. These guys see the writing on the wall. I mean, it's not a fair argument to me the way that the running back position has been devalued. But I'm telling you, for for Tony Pollard when he knew he was getting ten million dollars on that tag, oh man, he's celebrated. Well he's everything else is gonna be in the what.
Speaker 1: I mean, but you saw he just went he just went ahead signed.
Speaker 4: Jacobs didn't sign it, and neither it's Saquon because they're like.
Speaker 1: No, no, and so here it is you have.
Speaker 4: This big you know, this big power. Wow, you'll fight the power. You know we are playing public and music. You know we all a been welcome to the terra doo.
Speaker 1: We ain't gonna take it.
Speaker 5: You know how the revolution end right bills. You gotta get that money doing What are you talking about? Am I calling up saying hey, hey, you.
Speaker 4: Know like like to do with the golfing the golf and live it's bad.
Speaker 1: You know you don't have to be apologized playing right. We got a merger. Uh, I got a merger something like that. Man, just like you did. He call everybody else? Why take Yeah, I'm folding I got I mean that was that was to me. That was just hilarious.
Speaker 6: Why not sign it? And then as the season comes along, I can't go this week.
Speaker 1: I got a hamstring. I can't go the very next week. My back hurts a little bit. I'm not signed to get the money because you know they can find your son, your you got to miss him. You got a miss to show you serious.
Speaker 5: Man say, looked at the terrain, he saw he looked out on the plane and he saw what was coming. He said, like, you can still sit at home for two months and you know I.
Speaker 1: Would hold on BC. You would have did what I mean, I ain't showing up.
Speaker 4: Till August a preseason game of summer.
Speaker 1: Ain't finding you? Right, not finding you. You're gonna get them. You're gonna get the money, pulling the offer because they need you.
Speaker 5: Okay, I mean, okay, what would that have accomplished? He would have missed two weeks of camp and he still would have got.
Speaker 1: The same deal. It's fine, but you at least made a statement.
Speaker 5: I guess that's that nineteen years of marriage coming in. So you know what, it's a losing battle. So you know, you know you'll play. You know I got oh so it's like you ain't taking it?
Speaker 1: Huh might? I mean they got this man on anything, you know, I might. I might have to hold out. I might do it. I have to do it, petty.
Speaker 4: And it was like that, like they sat it pins Amen, it's five million.
Speaker 1: Well we're gonna what did they give it? What they pars too? He got to hit them, man, Okay, they can do franchise. Come on, man, you did all that, and that means he was gonna do that anyway. Here's his agent. Yeah, I got you axtred and nine thousand.
Speaker 4: Right there, you got yours in New York taxis no less so oh my gosh, yeah, who hate to see it?
Speaker 1: Hate? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man should have been tight end bro, tight end man. As I'm being how's this effect down the high school level? You start seeing runn backs and get paid.
Speaker 5: Woo hey, the running back line just got shorter and shorter. Boy, Nobody signing up for that. Don't matter how many stars you give out, Nobody, you're.
Speaker 4: Going to the tight end room. Man, You going to going into the defensive end room. I mean you know you're gonna do that because it's that. That's what the payda's are getting here. I mean, Ezekiel Elliott, he doesn't have a deal. I mean you shitting run Like, wow, we're sitting here watching good running backs.
Speaker 1: You know, Jacobs led the league in rushing.
Speaker 4: Zekus led there, yes, acting like he got offers.
Speaker 1: He ain't got no you know what, no offer you want? He's not gonna get ten million, that's for sure, exactly. I mean Davis is not there.
Speaker 4: I mean like, okay, you keep telephone mulleying no, you're not like with d Hot was like yeah, I'm looking at this stuff.
Speaker 1: No you're not. No, No, he's waiting on Tennessee to call. Yeah, that's better. Yeah, he's all these requirements you had in the quarterback and now you gonna go to sign Tennessee. Got you, got you?
Speaker 4: All right, Let's take our first break when we come back. Mike McCarthy is calling the plays this year. Jerry Jones had thoughts on that. Let's discuss what Jerry had to say about Mike McCarthy becoming a play call with Berry Church. Heck my hair sound newscus this players right here on Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 8: Once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas.
Speaker 1: Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black.
Speaker 8: Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lipbomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to.
Speaker 1: Buy, sell, and trade crypto.
Speaker 9: Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home. Blockchain dot Com is just a few taps a weight put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 1: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 9: And anyone in between, blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com to buy millions. Trusted by America's Team.
Speaker 7: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 1: That's the sound of you and everyone else.
Speaker 7: Absolutely loving New smoothie bowls for Smoothie King and Whoo me too.
Speaker 1: These smoothie bowls start.
Speaker 7: With USII and Pataya and are handcrafted with fresh topics like sliced bananas, sweet berries, crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola and his savory peanut butter Drizzle. New smoothie bowls only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: Star Sports Tours, is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and ods with me Everson Wallas with Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to look your travel package.
Speaker 1: Today. Back to the players Lounge.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys Training Camp twenty twenty three is here, brought to you by American Airlines. Watch the team practice on select dates from today through August fifteenth and sunny Oxnard, California, and mission is free. For more information, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Training Camp.
Speaker 4: All right, that is Hecma Harrison, Barry Church on newest scrugs. You're in the players Lounge. I got Danny mcraig working for Cowboy camps. He he'll was gonna be back next week. Course, so by the way, speaking of going to camp, I'll be there monday.
Speaker 1: All right, there, all right, give us some good details. I fly to Santa Barbara, he goes, that's what we go here to Santa Barbara. Don't go to everybody go to LAXX Santa Barbara.
Speaker 7: First.
Speaker 4: Oh, Santa Barbara beautiful airport. Yeah, it's it's a beautiful. It's a Santa Barbara type airport. But it's a quicker drive.
Speaker 1: It's only what thirty minutes from it's about forty minutes. But but but just it's the drive. Got a little spot, hit hit a little food spot over here.
Speaker 4: I got a little fi I got, I got my little I got little spots on the way down to Cowboys camp here. So Mike McCarthy is calling the place this year as the head coach. Kellen Moore now with the Chargers. Something that Jerry Jones said the opening press conference, maybe said, and he said, this isn't about Kellen. This is really about Mike and what Mike can do. Like, well, when you hired Mike, you n what Mike could do. My McCarthy call plays on a teen to one super Bowl in your building. I never thought Mike McCarthy wanted Kellen Moore. I always thought Mike McCarthy just okay, they like him, So I said, yeah, I'd hire him, even though I don't know him.
Speaker 1: You're buying it. I'm nervous.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure about y'all, but I'm a little nervous about this about McCarthy going in here calling these plays for the office. I mean, he has a super Bowl winning coordinator, or he was the head coach and he called the play, so I'll give him the coordinator title as well.
Speaker 1: He was a super Bowl winner, but that was what thirteen years ago?
Speaker 6: Thirteen years ago, and he had a guy by the name of Aaron Rodgers at the quarterback position as well.
Speaker 1: Now, Dak Prescott, I'm not saying he's that far beneath Aaron Rodgers, but I'm.
Speaker 6: Not saying he's in the same category as an Aaron Rodgers as well. And for a guy that hasn't called plays in five plus years, he's coming in here saying we're gonna run the football. We're getting back to the trenches, We're getting to this ground game. We're gonna get back to that.
Speaker 1: But what has he done to prove that the action speak louder than.
Speaker 4: The world he so, heck, can we go back into this whole we're gonna run the football thing? I never took Mike McCarthy to say it he's about to become Marty shotten him and Marty ball it will ground and pounded. I took it as him with Kellen Moore saying, but we need to run the football more in certain situations. I go back to the Jacksonville game and the Green Bay game when I was at you have fourteen point leads. You look it up there he got forty eight second drive because you went three and out and you're throwing the whole time. I took it and saying we need to run the ball more in situations to save our defense.
Speaker 1: That's how I took it. What about you?
Speaker 5: Heck, I just I want to go back to your original question because I no longer dissect whether Mike MacArthur won it, Kellamore or not, because that's too deep.
Speaker 1: They can try and figure out the truth. Throng, right.
Speaker 5: But I think that when you look at this offense and you look at the production has the numbers that it had last season, you say, what was wrong? They are number one point scored. That's the whole point of that. He has the whole shell of that. Nothing has changed with the talent that production other than now you don't have Ezekiel Elliott now you think that you're going to have a more explosive offense with Tony Pollard and company.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: I don't worry.
Speaker 5: About Mike McCarthy simply because you said he is of super Bowl caliber. I think he's had enough opportunity to figure out exactly who and what his offense should be. Look, the only thing I worry about is mistakes as far as clock management things like that, because he's going to be so concerned with other things. But as I've known Mike McCarthy, I've known him as the guy with the laminated play sheet and the guy that was making those making those calls out to his offense, I don't see. And the whole assumption that he's going to run the ball, I ain't. Come on, Man's that's fodder. That's not going to happen. The NFL has changed so much that I don't think that Mike McCarthy is unaware of that. But what I do think that he has to do is to mitigate the mistakes from Dak Prescott, to mitigate the guesswork by those wide receivers. And we saw it too many times. We broke down too much film that saw these wide receivers didn't know where they needed to be and it came to the point where some thing had to be done. They were not just going to stay the course with Kellen Moore. Still with my dog Camemore, but.
Speaker 1: Stay the course. I keep doing that.
Speaker 6: You can't be the number one offense over his time period as an offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: And somehow feel like we're gonna get better. Where are you getting better at? I guess time management, but we've seen a game management.
Speaker 6: But we've seen from coach McCarthy that can be that can be a little bit you know, of a guesswork when it comes to him as far as game management. So you're saying that he can become better as far as saving the defense and making sure we run the ball when needed.
Speaker 1: So situational awareness is that what.
Speaker 6: We're saying he could be better at calling the players balance while than Kellen Moore.
Speaker 1: I go back to Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 4: That Super Bowl Atlanta, they're up, oh man, Kyle Shanahan was out there still trying to be aggressive.
Speaker 1: And not running the football. He's up ten points on the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 4: He stops running football, So you know you got Garmpolo missing passes in now Kansas City got the ball back through Boom. It's about the situations and while you get yourself up the way Shannahan did, go back to Green Bay, you're at fourteen, and go back to Jacksonville fourteen, it comes the point in time you got to figure, Okay, where am I and what do we need to be doing to make sure we're taking ourselves where.
Speaker 1: You have to think about the defense now.
Speaker 4: And I say this because I remember many times talking to Gary Patterson and TCU and he was coaching over the defensive guy and he had these air ray brought in, these air ray guys, and he would literally say, I have to talk to these guys.
Speaker 1: I need you to run it talking to them things.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you what to call, but I want you to run it because we got a defense here that needs to stay off the field for a little bit. And I think, to me, that was what I felt Mike McCarthy was saying. And when he's had the press conference at the at the owners meeting, when people blew that one up, Oh he's to be slamming Kellen Moore, he was a slamming Keller. One of the guy said, like fifty million nice things about him, But then he brought the point, Hey, look, I've been in kellen shoes where I'm an offensive coordinator. I'm trying to score. I'm trying to run it. I'm trying to you know, I'm trying to be that guy. He said, Well, I'm the head coach, head coach, you're trying to win championships, and you see it differently. It's all about viewpoints. And it's not that he's saying Kellen's wrong. Hey, I was once a young play caller. You give me the keys now were about to about to show you. And he's saying, hey, as a as a head coach, you're looking for the whole thing.
Speaker 1: You got to look at the bigger viewpoint here everything.
Speaker 4: So Jacksonville, you need to run the ball more, especially after we saw they got on your man, Kelvin Joseph.
Speaker 5: You know on.
Speaker 1: TV it was going, it was.
Speaker 4: Going so all right, they got a little momentum and you play there, Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: They got going here, that football chance coming.
Speaker 4: They got going green Bay because that Green Bay game, they thought they were going to lose all of a sudden, the fourth quarter, it's down to seven.
Speaker 1: That crowd is jumping and going you needed to help them.
Speaker 5: I just go back to the fact that there was just certain points in the season where the offense just looked and theft and it didn't matter whether you call it the rhythm with Dak because he hurt his hand or you know those things. I just felt like, going back to the Green Bay game, there was a bad interception in the end zone where either CD LAMB should have ran him more flat, he broke it off and went over the top of the of the safety and consequently there was a turn up. We had many things like that happened within the season where guys just looked like they were out of place. How many times can that happen? And you know, Mike McCarthy's walking into that meeting room and saying, look, these are the things that just cannot happen. San Francisco, San Francisco. I mean, this man has a head Demico Ryans has a head coaching job because of the job that he did on a lot of these quote unquote big offensive coordinators.
Speaker 1: And he made Kellen Moore look bad.
Speaker 4: So you say Kellen Moore, And in conversations I've had with people, they've questioned the wide receivers coach here, Okay, So that's going to be an interesting kind of dynamic. Is when I go to camp, you know, you talk to more people, and you talk to you're able to get to folks a little bit off camera.
Speaker 1: That's something thing I'll be interested to see.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's wild because you know, you say, you know, Demico Rians may Kellen Moore look bad.
Speaker 1: Wide receivers aren't running this way.
Speaker 6: What does it come down to at the end of the day, execution, execution and decision making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was that ball forced into that that triple coverage? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Was that ball forced the second reception of San Francisco where two defenders could have picked it off but the linebacker Fred Warner ended up picking up and take. So my thing is, I just we can't all just put this on Kellen Moore saying his offense was just all high powering, say the defense.
Speaker 1: I think it's a combination of the two.
Speaker 6: And maybe you guys are writing a new voice in dark Prescott's ear could alleviate some of those, you know, decision making opportunities that he gave the defense.
Speaker 5: I agree with you, Barry, I mean, it's all it's all going to be on that. That's not even playing games about it. It's gonna be on Dak. And Dak has to be better.
Speaker 1: He can't play.
Speaker 5: He can't have fifteen interceptions in twelve games. He cannot afford to have a repeat of that. And he's already said he's not gonna throw ten.
Speaker 1: So okay, no, he's not saying he's going to have ten.
Speaker 4: The quote was, we would not have ten tipped interceptions, which is I'm working with the receivers. So we're working on making sure your boss, you know that we get the thing done because that's a lot of.
Speaker 1: What we saw Jacksonville game, right, So that's what he said.
Speaker 4: He said, I'm not gonna have ten interceptions, not gonna have tent to the tipped interceptions.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have the tipped interceptions. So that's what they're working on it.
Speaker 5: But this receiving court, this receiving court has to be better for dakus. I mean, they can't go, you know, to the eighth week of the season before they have one hundred yard receiver. I mean, nor Brown was the most productive guy they had. And again we can go back to the Dak injury and all that, but Ceedee Lamb is going to have to emerge as that playmaker in this offense, and he's going to have to get it going early. He can't wait till you know, the week versus Green Bay to get his game.
Speaker 4: Michael Gallup, Okay, Michael Gallup has got to go earn his dollars. And that's that's just being straight up and not like Michael Gallup, but that's just hey man, you got paid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, time to produce.
Speaker 4: Jaylen Tolbert, he was on one O five three the fan talking today and then trying to flush you know, last year.
Speaker 1: But Jalen Tolbert, it's a third runner. He's going to be here. He's got to produce here. So the receiving corps does need to better be better.
Speaker 4: But can we just and this is not hating him, it's asking guys to live up to what the organization believed in you.
Speaker 1: Michael Gallup. We told Amari Cooper bye bye, paid you. Jalen Tolbert.
Speaker 4: We used a third round pick Dak Prescott. I told him you were the guy. You got to go do your job here.
Speaker 1: Brandon Cooks he stay healthy, clearly he can he can be a difference maker. Absolute so so there's some things that you look on paper.
Speaker 4: I like this receiving core better than last year's group all day long. But there's still some guys that have things to prove here and and this is this is this is the beauty of what football is. You've got another opportunity. Last year's gone here show what you can do. But if these guys can play up to the ability that the organization thought they had when they acquired them, then you're talking about a really good a really good unit. But I thought Clarence Hill, the four Star Telegram, had a great point last year when the cowboy stepped on the field, almost always they had the.
Speaker 1: Worst receiving core than the other two. I have to that that cannot be the case this year. No, it can't.
Speaker 5: And I really I think the one thing that baffles me about Ceedee Lamman where he is, even with his contract negotiation, when you consider or talk about PFF grades or what they consider to be the top ten wide receivers in the league, his name is never mentioned.
Speaker 1: His name isn't put in that.
Speaker 5: If he is, he's nine and he's ten, right, And so for him, I think the perception around here is that he's an elite wide receiver. One hundred and fifty seven targets last year one hundred and seven catches.
Speaker 1: That's nothing.
Speaker 5: That's productive. Thirteen hundred yard nine studies. I mean, look, I'm just saying, Look, I don't want to get misconscrewed. What I'm saying is I need Ceedee Lamb to be that early. I don't need him to wait till the end of the early.
Speaker 1: Your point is fair. Your point is fair.
Speaker 4: Can we also allow a little bit of grace on this last year was his first time being the number one guy. Little adjustment, you know, a little punch in the mouth here, a little bit, and well he finally figured it out. So what the ratings are, and it's like it's like stocks's based off last year's returns. Now that he knows what it takes, what you have to do, I think Cee Lambill be fine. I'm not worried about CD LAB, so I don't worry about their rankings. And they want to put Terry McLaurin and guys like that, that's fine. I'm not worried about that. Brandon cooks and healthy Brandon cooks. On the other side, things get things can be a lot easier for Ceedee Lamb because you're a number one guy with no help over there. You know, the maybe maybe somebody goes to show up over here. CD and the Maybies, Okay, I think they're gonna be okay to ship. Let's get back at this on Friday.
Speaker 1: Let's do it on.
Speaker 4: Friday, very church. Heck Maherrison' we strugs for jazz everybody else. They made this thing happen right here dllas Cowboys dot Com and it has been the players louse, We'll chatting with your Friday right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.