Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong is Joe Getty arm Strong and Jetty Enough he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: The Democrats, remember the Democrats, they shut down the government last month.
Speaker 1: They stink caved on the shutdown.
Speaker 2: One of the Democrats who crumbled like a granola bar in your backpack is New Hampshire Senator and the joker's proud aunt, Jeans Shahan.
Speaker 3: Democrats drew a line in the sand. They said we are not going over this. And today, after forty one days, they pulled out a shovel and a bucket and they ate all that sand and got.
Speaker 1: Nothing for it. Isn't that great? That is really interesting.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch a daily show I need to today, I guess John Stewart just went on epic f bomb rant and anger over the Democrats caving on the shutdown, which it's interesting.
Speaker 1: On one hand, law that they wrote and passed.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they think the Democrats were gonna hold out and get something. Yeah, I just don't understand how they think they were going to win that.
Speaker 4: By starving the poor people and not paying the truth.
Speaker 1: Well, but that wasn't working, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think for whatever reason, good or bad, you know, normal people. I don't think we're reacting that much to the whole snap benefits thing. The media was talking about it. But the flights, Yes, that got people's attention. That's when the shutdown became a topic for conversation, when all of a sudden the airports were going to be crazy. Maybe until Thanksgiving that became so as that grew, you think that the pressure was going to be on the Republicans the cave on Obamacare. Maybe, I don't think.
Speaker 4: I'd really like to talk to John Stewart about how he became so ill informed or misguided on that. Gus, he's a very bright guy. Meanwhile, I'll tell you who's getting the blame on the left is so old Chuck Schumer. Here's a montage.
Speaker 2: How much of this do you put at the feet of Charles Schumer?
Speaker 1: Most of it?
Speaker 3: I mean, he's the leader of the Senate, but it's time for him to be replaced.
Speaker 1: He is not meeting the moment.
Speaker 2: He's out of touch with where the party's base is.
Speaker 1: You know, respect his service, but time to move on.
Speaker 2: I think Chuck Schumer his days are over. Yes, Chuck Schumer should go.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to say Chuck Schumer should go. I voted for many times.
Speaker 5: The loudest criticism here that the party couldn't keep it together because the leader, Senator Chuck Schumer, is weak.
Speaker 2: If I was a Democrat, I would want Chuck Schumer to go to just because he's old and you know, just ain't got no vim or vigor. But what was he supposed to do? Getting back to the same conversation we just had. I also heard one pundit, and I think this is probably too saying you don't tell senators what to do. It's not like being the leader of the House where you have some power to really force House members to do this or that. And they're up for election every two years. Every senator thinks they're going to be president someday they got a six year term.
Speaker 1: You don't tell them what to do.
Speaker 2: You can be the messenger for them, you can get them together and give speeches, but you don't control them.
Speaker 4: Right, They're designed by the Constitution to be slow, careful, and deliberate and not be bullied anyway. So I thought, you know, to dovetail off of that a couple of really interesting stories I've come across about Obamacare in general, because this fake fight was about continuing COVID air subsidies that the Democrats themselves had sunseted, which is something nobody's talking about. But quoting now from the fabulous California Globe. And last week they've reported on the hackers, crooks and bots who'd use stolen identities to fleece California's colleges and universities, ripping off taxpayers for billions of dollars.
Speaker 1: And that report was really really interesting.
Speaker 4: It is literally billions and billions of dollars going to like hackers in the Russian mob and the rest of it, who would use bots to.
Speaker 1: Create nonexistent college students.
Speaker 4: Anyway, they Right now we learn of another Obama era bot scam, this one in Obamacare. And this is actually quoting the Blaze. Joe Biden's pandemic era subsidies turned Obamacare into corporate welfare, sending billions to insurers for patients who never file a single claim. At issue are the generous subsidies the Biden administration created for the Affordable Care Act policies sweeteners that are slated to expire this December. That's what this fight was about, making healthcare essentially free for millions of Americans. These policies have sent enrollment in Obamacare plans skyrocketing, but a recent study found that they have also sparked a curious phenomenon an estimated twelve million enrollees twelve million without a single claim. No doctor visit, no lab test, no prescription, no sprained ankle, nothing in the entire year of twenty twenty four Obamacare expansion, creating an explosion of phantom patients, including at least six point four million of them found so far in twenty twenty five. Among those new now eligible for zero premium plans with lower no deductible to study found quote that number increased nearly sevenfold. A whopping forty percent of rollees in fully subsidized plans fully subsidized had no claims in twenty twenty four. In twenty twenty four, a loon taxpayer send at least thirty five billion dollars to insurers.
Speaker 1: They got the money for.
Speaker 4: People who paid no premiums and never used their plan. And you heard that before? How have we not heard that before?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No kidding, And they point out Katie Grimes, the fabulous writer at the California Globe editor points out the entire goal of Obamacare was to create a system the crashes and burns, forcing the US into government controlled socialized medicine correct and they're getting close to succeeding. Obama himself admitted that beyond the scenes, we've all heard those tapes.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: Anyway, one more semi related story that I found super interesting, and again, you know, I'm sorry, I've got to get to the punchline prematurely. It's impossible for a citizen to keep track of everything this massive Labrinthian government does. How can you be a responsible citizen and hold your government to account when.
Speaker 1: You can't comprehend one one hundredth of what it does.
Speaker 4: That's why your system was designed to have limited government. And you know that that ship has sailed moons ago. Anyway, this is from Alicia Finley in the Wall Street Journal, who's absolutely brilliant. Speaking of terrific women in journalism.
Speaker 1: Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Rama Manual of Chicago, Mayor of Chicago, had a three hundred and seventy million dollar deficit in twenty thirteen. One of the main chunks of that deficit was one hundred and ninety five million dollars subsidizing health insurance for its retirees, many of whom were too young to qualify for Medicare because if you work in government, you get to retire unnaturally young. That one hundred and ninety five million dollars was projected to increase to five hundred and forty million by two years ago. At this point, as pension payments were ballooning. So what did Immanuel do. He dumped all the city's retirees onto the Obama Care exchanges, where federal subsidies can reduce premium payments.
Speaker 1: Voila. Chicago's two point.
Speaker 4: One billion dollar unfunded retiree health care liability vanished. Now US taxpayers pick up the tab for Chicago's retirees.
Speaker 1: In their fifties and early sixties.
Speaker 4: Detroit, Stockton, California, San Bernardino, California, Blue cities learned that they could offer their public employee unions unbelievable retiree healthcare plans, and then as their deficits exploded, they dumped them onto Obamacare. When Democrats say, we need zillions of dollars of covid era, huh, subsidies to continue to Obamacare. That's why. That's one of the big reasons why.
Speaker 2: But if you just are kind of an average voter and you take in the shutdown in Obamacare through the mainstream media.
Speaker 6: Was.
Speaker 2: Evil Republicans wanting to kick people off their healthcare just out of meanness.
Speaker 4: Right right, because we want people to be sick and stock if possible.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: What I like is a kid is sick and hungry. Boy, does that help me sleep at night? Now?
Speaker 6: A kid who's just sick, that's good. Or kid is just starving, that's pretty good. But by god, if we conservatives can get both, then we just chuckle.
Speaker 1: They just love it.
Speaker 2: You show me an eight year old boy at a sprained ankle and no food. That makes me happy.
Speaker 4: Oh man, you're bringing a tear to my eye real quick. I've got another couple of statistics for you. But afterward, from our friends, it simply save home security.
Speaker 1: Easy thing to say.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what Biden said the other day, it's what Schumer's been saying, and Gavin Newsoman himself said that.
Speaker 1: The hunger is the point.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can say all you want about your opponents and how they're They might not be as caring as you think they ought to be, or they're misguided to whatever. But to claim that anybody in particular really gets a kick out of making somebody hungry, I mean it's just nuts.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the risk of overusing this word today, and I think, am it's perverse, It's I mean.
Speaker 2: It's so what are you talking. You're trying to portray me as someone who I enjoy people being hungry. Yes, yeah, I mean we have t shirts that say starve the lazy, which I fully.
Speaker 1: Back as a theory.
Speaker 2: But the idea is get off your ass and work, not I want you to starve to death.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What about sick children, Well, if they're a sick child, they're not within the group of the lazy obviously. EMO Ron's all right. Quick word from our friends is simply save home security. Good luck stuff in the government from stealing from you, but you probably can stop junkies from breaking into your house and taking your stuff with simply save home security is amazing combination of AI driven cameras and then live human agents who can talk to these scumbag and dissuade them before they break your window.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Other security systems have outdoor cameras too, but they rely on you getting me alert and taking action yourself. Simply Safe does that for you. It's like having a private security guard stationed outside your home. I'm a simply Safe customer. I love the sensors and the cameras and all the different stuff. And you can try it out too. There's no contract you sign, there's a money back guarantee, so why not try it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the sort of.
Speaker 4: Thing that ought to demand a multiyear contract because it's such an investment in you. But they earn your business every single day and listen to this with you. You can get simply Safe Home security sixty percent off, any new system, sixty percent off, best deal of the year, simply Safe dot com slash armstrong. That's simply safe dot com slash armstrong. There's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 1: Hurrah. So final note on this topic. Few you know.
Speaker 4: Public employees in a lot of places can retire in their fifties or early sixties. They get really nice pensions, some of whom they've kicked into those pensions to share the cost, but subsidized health insurance until they become eligible for Medicare, but governments, few of them have actually set aside realistic commounts, some money for their retire's future healthcare costs. The Reason Foundation does great work, reports that state and local governments face almost a trillion dollars in retiree medical obligations in twenty twenty three. That's about three thousand dollars per American citizen. They've got that giant liability liabilities are the largest in Blue states. New York is fifteen thousand dollars per capita in essentially unfunded liabilities. New Jersey it's almost eleven thousand, Connecticut it's about seven thousand, which lets workers retire early with generous health benefits. And then then, and you will see this, when those systems collapse or get near bankruptcy or whatever, they are bailed out by the state government or the federal government or whatever, meaning taxpayers, it's outrageous. Sorry to bring you down or piss you off, but I don't know, I personally don't like being defrauded, or at least I like to know I'm being defrauded.
Speaker 2: So we're headed into a holiday season and a decent chance you're going to be traveling around maybe rent a vehicle. I learned something about renting vehicles last night. It's a problem I've had in the past, but apparently, at least according to the research I've done, there's.
Speaker 1: Not a lot you can do about it.
Speaker 2: I am not a fan of rental car companies, and a lot of other stuff to talk about. Stay with us, arm Straw, Hey Getty.
Speaker 7: Many worry the AI revolution will put voice actors out of work. While some stars are licensing their voices, others are being built from scratch. Poet Talisia Nicki Jones has created an AI R and B singer named Zanaia Monet, a digital alter ego that lets her turn her poetry into music. Now, Zanaya has a number one single on a Billboard R and B chart and a multimillion dollar.
Speaker 1: Offer for a recording deal, and on the country charts.
Speaker 7: An AI generated country singer named Breaking Rust just hit number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about that yesterday.
Speaker 2: We can't play the song for copyright reasons, but Joe and I both listened to it and then it sits. You know, it's plenty good enough to be a hit country song, which it is completely AI. I don't know where the leaves us the whole voice. Actors might lose their gigs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh that's over. Please. Yeah. I can't believe it's even still presented as a this might happen.
Speaker 2: What'll we do? It's going to happen, not might, and nothing. There's nothing you could do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pursue another line of work. And I don't mean to sound cruel or unsympathetic, but when reality backs into your driveway, there it is. I mean, you can try to ignore it, wish it away.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: Being a guy who sells horses for transportation in nineteen ten or whatever and sing. Some people say fewer people are going to want to buy horses for transportation.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, this is true. What going to be done about it?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Our mode of transportation has changed, the airing to fix cars. I don't know if that's hard for people to grasp or what. Yeah, making of driving, we're into the holiday season. I often a rent a vehicle this time of year, usually because I do a one way trip back to Kansas and then I drive there. We like road trips, me and the boys, and then I fly back. I've had quite the struggle in recent years of I rent a vehicle ahead of time, make sure I've rent good and ahead of time. And then I get there to pick it up and they ain't got it. And then I'm in the holiday crunch with all kinds of plans and no vehicles available because it's like two days before Thanksgiving or week before Christmas or whatever.
Speaker 1: The situation.
Speaker 2: Not the wrong vehicle, no vehicle, Well, they don't have the vehicle I want.
Speaker 1: They have all kinds of vehicles.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to drive me intwo like practically adults halfway across the country and right, and you.
Speaker 1: Just can't do it.
Speaker 2: So I was asked, I did some research yesterday because I was trying to avoid that this year. I got so mad last year when I was there. You remember I told this story on the air. I started very calm, but I couldn't get any reaction out of the person who worked there. And it kind of hurts that they reacted this way. It really hurts my feelings that they were was the way that we were thinking. But I kept saying, do you understand my problem?
Speaker 7: Though?
Speaker 1: Right? I have a reservation.
Speaker 2: I mean it's the classic Jerry Seinfeld bit. You know how to you know, reserve the car and they just like looked at me blank face, like they couldn't understand why I was unhappy with the fact that I'd had a reservation for a month and then I get there and you don't have the vehicle.
Speaker 1: You don't see that as a problem anyway.
Speaker 2: So I spend a lot of time researching this on groc and chat, bet, chat, GPT, and they want all the different websites, and they basically said, this is a problem that happens to people all across the country. There's not much you can do about it. Here are the things. You should rent vehicles from two different companies. Hopefully if you have a backup then one of them will come through, or you know, a variety of other things.
Speaker 1: But there was no there's no getting around it.
Speaker 2: It's just the thing that happens the way our way the businesses are currently set up. They just like airlines, they overbook flights. They over sell cars with the idea of a we want to have as many of them get paid for during the holiday season as possible, So we overbook knowing that a lot of people are going to cancel and change plans. And then if it turns out that a whole bunch of people don't change their plans. Well, we've got more people wanting these vehicles than the vehicles that exist.
Speaker 1: So sorry, screw you. You're out of luck.
Speaker 4: You're not going home for Christmas or whatever the problem is. And I'm sure they all glance around at each other. It's not collusion, but they're aware. Okay, they're abusing people in the same way over there and over there and over there. Okay, so we can keep abusing people. Where are you going to go to the other place there at the airport that's going to abuse you in the same way.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's something that that's the current system where it doesn't matter how early you make your reservation, you still might show up there when you need it. If it's a busy weekend and they just ain't going to have a car for.
Speaker 4: You, oh well you put the rental agent in a headlock. Not sure it would help, but it would make you feel better. I was close, I was really close. My son didn't test to that. They were thinking, I don't care, pretending I'm an hourly employee.
Speaker 1: I don't care. It's not much effort to pretend to care.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got more on the way if you know anything about that text line four one five five KFTC.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty Christ, then when did you get this information?
Speaker 5: We actually just received all of these emails are total of about twenty three thousand documents actually a few days ago, so last week, and we've been going through our team, of course, through all of these very carefully over the last few days.
Speaker 1: We obviously released some today.
Speaker 5: We'll be releasing additional documents I'm likely later today.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're talking about Epstein here. Oh so forty eight hours ago when the whole impasse over the shutdown thing broke, I flip on MSNBC at night. They're eleven o'clock show, because on the West Coast as to a eight o'clock and the first thing they talk about is Epstein. I thought, what I mean, that was so off my radar. I don't know if I thought I'd ever hear the word again in my life. I just thought that was completely last year whatever. And they were actually talking about them, and the three panelists on there all reporters Epstein, this Epstein, that this is why the Republicans shut down the government for so long, and now the Epstein vote's gone.
Speaker 1: What Epstein.
Speaker 2: I turned on Morning Joe this morning on MSNBC. I mean, because that's a good place to go to for what Democrats are thinking, that show talking about Epstein. And now you got this Democratic Representative Robert Garcia, who was on probably on MSNBC saying they've received twenty three thousand documents in the last couple of days and they're going through there very carefully.
Speaker 1: He says there is a massive cover up going on.
Speaker 2: So as Byron York writes in the Washington Examiner, Okay, you've given us a couple of nuggets, which weren't much from these documents. Like Trump was angry that Epstein was poaching his people, poaching girls from his spa. That wasn't new news. And even if even if it were, what's the significance of that?
Speaker 1: There is an email quote from Epstein, go ahead, you've got the lift.
Speaker 2: There's well, there's a claim that Epstein knew that there were girls there and whatever Trump but butru that Trump knew, But it's vague and it doesn't even if it's true, what what does that was Trumps supposed to go to the cops or I don't know what even the point is of that, and as Byron new York writes Washington Examiner, Okay, that's three things you've mentioned. What are the other twenty three thousand documents? That's a lot of documents, right, That's a heck of a thing to.
Speaker 1: Go on TV.
Speaker 2: Say we have twenty three thousand new documents about what?
Speaker 1: From who? What is it? A? Two are completely irrelevant?
Speaker 4: Where to look at them? Twenty three thousands? Look at the stack of documents? Where did they come from? If you had any dirt on Trump about Epstein, you would have used it when Joe Biden and Kamala Harris were running against him, wouldn't you. Well, where'd they get these twenty three thousand new documents?
Speaker 1: Doesn't say? What's that all about? Don't know?
Speaker 2: But so if you thought Epstein was over, it ain't.
Speaker 1: Well. I tell you what.
Speaker 4: If they get to the bottom of this Epstein thing, holmes will become affordable, You will be fully employed in a career that you find rewarding, Your kids will get quality education in schools, and we won't ever go to war with China. So I certainly hope we can get to the bottom of this stupid, stupid Epstein thing.
Speaker 2: We'll be releasing additional documents later Today, he says, if my experience with this sort of thing in life is you lead with your.
Speaker 1: Best stuff, right. Yeah. Well, and if say, fifteen eighteen.
Speaker 4: Years ago, rich Donald Trump in West Palm Beach or whatever it is, became aware that his rich neighbor was a bit of a perv and maybe even had a taste for like underage girls, that's what I hear.
Speaker 1: What was twenty twelve Donald Trump's supposed to do about it? That's what I said.
Speaker 4: I mean, if there was like child rape going on and he had specific information about it, of course you got to call.
Speaker 1: The co of course.
Speaker 4: But if he just hears at the country club, oh yeah, you know Epstein like I'm young, if you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you supposed to do in that situation? And well, there's always kind of the suggestion that Donald Trump was having sex with underage girls through his connection with Epstein. There's never been anything without one hundred miles of that, yeah, proven even kind of So I don't know, I can't believe this is still hanging around as a story, different Donald Trump story that I am kind of interested.
Speaker 4: Well, if I had just screwed the country at least to some extent on this phony shutdown to protect Chuck Schumer's left flank. I'd want to change the headlines too. I'd be pretty desperate. That's pretty good theory that that's what it is. Why now all of a sudden out of nowhere, please, I never heard that said one time during the shutdown? Did you that the Republicans are just doing this to keep the Ebstein files from coming out?
Speaker 2: I never heard that until the Democrats caved. I'd never heard anybody say that. Yeah, yeah, And I'll watch a lot of MSNBC to see what they're up to. They weren't making that argument.
Speaker 1: We're desperate, we're desperate. What do we do? I don't know, can retire Depstein somehow?
Speaker 2: How the hell would we do that?
Speaker 1: Wait? I have an idea differ Trump thing. He did an interview with blonde Chick Fox. There are quite a few of them.
Speaker 2: Well, that was a vague statement, wasn't a blonde chick on Fox? Lor Ingram And we had a bunch of clips we didn't play yesterday. But one of the things he floated out there was a fifty year mortgage loan to try to help get more people into homes. This stat has been flying around for a week now because it hit forty. People like round numbers, and when it hit forty for the median age for someone to be a first time home buyer, it got a lot of people's attention, given the fact that it was twenty nine. If you go back to nineteen eighty, so in your twenties barely and now forty is sounds like a bigger difference in eleven years, but it's still it is quite a change in the structure of home buying. And Trump floated the idea of a fifty year mortgage. So my first reaction to hearing that was that's a horrible idea, and God, I hope it doesn't happen, kind of like around the lines of I know people buying cars with seven, eight, nine year loans, the biggest difference between the two things being that in general, homes go up in value over that amount of time and cars nine years from now you're curring word.
Speaker 1: Nothing and you just paid it off.
Speaker 2: But I don't know anything about the history of where did we come up with the twenty and thirty year mortgage? What was that built around? Why is there any reason why thirty's okay, but fifty isn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, the twenty eight housing melt down spurred the government to limit mortgage terms to thirty years, because you just you get equity so slowly, you pay so much in interest more than a thirty year loan, and it lowers your payment by a couple of hundred bucks typically, but it's not a ton. And so many folks walked away from their mortgages when home prices collapsed, and they've just found through the years the reason they reined it in is longer the loan, the more likely people are default. It's just a much risky loan, which means it's a higher rate, so you're paying even a higher percentage of your house payment to interest than you would be. When the solution is that's not the solution. That is a makes the problem worse, band A. The solution is a deregulation, wholesale deregulation of this silly stuff that keeps housing from being built. Who was it estimated We've got a deficit of like five million housing units in the country at this point, and part of it was the artificially low mortgage rates. People are stuck in their homes.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah. We've talked about it many times, but no, this is a bad idea. Don't do it. Well.
Speaker 2: The idea, well, the smart idea would be, you can get into a home when you're quite young because the payment's lower with a fifty year mortgage, and then when you get into your years where you're really earning money, well, then you refy it shorter, pay it down or whatever. You don't actually pay the full fifty years van of interest over the damn fom.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if it's much more likely people are going to default who take those long loans.
Speaker 1: Though, any good listen to this, would you? As long as we're talking about it.
Speaker 4: Nearly seventy percent of New FAHA borrowers last year had debt to income ratios exceeding forty three percent, which is considered risky. That's nearly seventy percent. You twenty with that number. Well, that's up from twenty eight percent thirteen years ago. It's now seventy percent. About forty percent a new Fanny May and Freddie macburrows last year had risky debt to income ratios. That's forty percent compared to sixteen percent back in twenty twelve. Recent buyers are more leveraged than they were in bubble days. Stretched by inflation, rising property taxes, and insurance costs, many have been struggling to meet mortgage payments. No Worries, writes the Journal. The Biden administration paid mortgage servicers to prevent closures. This included letting delinquent borrowers extend their loan terms to forty years and reduced monthly payments by twenty five percent. Repeatedly miss your mortgage payments, Congratulations, you qualify for mortgage relief. Talk about a moral hazard. The FAHA has paid mortgage servicers to provide forbearance or modify some six hundred and ten thousand FAHA mortgages in the last year.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I like the fact that's more than the number of new purchases loans that FAHA ensured last year.
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 2: I like the fact that if you miss your mortgage payment enough times, you qualify for somebody else's money to pay for your mortgage, with no question as to why are you not making your mortgage, what do you spend? You spend your money on anything else? Or maybe you shouldn't be in that, Maybe you can't afford to be in the house you're in or something like that.
Speaker 1: But no, you automatically.
Speaker 2: It's just the facto true that if you missed a couple of payments, you can't afford it and you need help.
Speaker 4: And keep in mind, now the FAHA your tax finances all of this. So writing down mortgages for distress borrowers is a booming business for mortgage bankers. They're getting the tax dollars, but keeping people in homes they can't afford means there are fewer available to buy, which makes housing less affordable for everyone else. That's what a fifty year mortgage will do.
Speaker 2: I was listening to a discussion this morning by people who did not know what they were talking about. I won't mention much channel, but they were talking about. They were presenting it's such a good idea, the fifty year loan, so you can get people out of renting, so.
Speaker 1: You don't rent all those years and everything like that when.
Speaker 2: I'm a renter currently, and what started me even thinking about it was the Wall Street Journal having an article that for the first time ever, there might be a better idea to rent than to own, and it laid out various situations you might be in where that that's the case. It's just not automatically true, at least currently, that buying a house is better than renting correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and it's far more expensive than people imagine it's going to be. I think virtually everybody listening who's ever owned a home is saying, yeah, no kidding. You know, by the time you know, taxes and insurance and upkeeping repairs and you know, just maintenance. I guess upkeeping maintenance are the same thing. Anyway, there are way more costs than you imagined before you become a homeowner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where if that'll change? Fifty year loan? Wow, I wouldn't you be surprised if that doesn't happen. I mean, if we got to nine year car loans out there, fifty year my home loan doesn't seem that nuts.
Speaker 4: If it is a bad idea that sounds good when you first hear it, yes, it will pass.
Speaker 2: It will become the law, right right right, Anything that sounds good at first, blush will happen.
Speaker 1: That's okay, give exactly.
Speaker 2: We'll keep your eye on this stupid, stupid, freaking Epstein story and maybe not talk about it at all. Unless something happens more on the way stare. I want to talk about the decay of American culture, which has been going on for half a century. Might put that in a one More Thing podcast, also our four. I am pro social credit score as long as the government's not involved.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I got a new example of it. We can talk about next hour. Interesting.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised to hear that also coming up next hour. The whole online influencer pandering thing. It's worse than I thought. Understanding how it works helps you understand well why it got so bad. So if you can't stay tuned for our four, or perhaps you don't get our four, grab it via podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. You really ought to follow us and subscribe. And oh you know, we never ever asked this. Give us a nice five star review, would you please? It helps the algorithms kind of push the show. Speaking of algorithms, anyway, I've fallen in love with a man, at least intellectually speaking.
Speaker 1: I was attracted to this.
Speaker 4: Story about Abraham Avy is his nickname av Lobe, who is was for a decade Harvard's share of the Astronomy Department. He was the founding director of the Harvard Black Hole Initiative, and he continues to teach it to school and holds amazing titles in you know, the theory and computation in astrophysics and stuff like that. And he's his attention has gotten to a space oddity called three Eye Slash Atlas. It is only the third object from outside our Solar system that humanity has ever detected, and the vast majority of astronomers are convinced that it's simply a large comet that poses no threat to Earth.
Speaker 1: Lobe.
Speaker 4: However, is unconvinced by this explanation. He has laid out all the ways Atlas is not behaving like a comet. It has a very unusual trajectory which happens to be a perfect tour of our nearby planets. It has very strange coloring, and the way it appears to move, it moves like it has an internal engine of some kind.
Speaker 2: You're suggesting spaceship from an alien planet.
Speaker 4: So the clear mister Loebees said is not saying this is an extraterrestrial vehicle. He is, however, open to the possibility that it could be. So he's tracking Atlas very closely on his blog and looking at images every day.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: So that's fun. Is there an alien craft that's moving in our direction? Harvard astronomy professor says, perhaps that's fun. I got to say, But then I get to the part that I really loved. The guy asks him, can you explain this? Think of me as a precocious middle schooler, because I'm not an expert, And his reply is one of the best things I've ever read. He said, actually, being young in the way you view things as a great advantage, because science is the privilege of maintaining your childhood curiosity.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 4: Now, unfortunately, he says, most practitioners abandon it because they have other motivations. They want to show off to gain status that helps them get funded or get awards and honors. And that's what you know, That's what happens to most people in academia, which is very unfortunate because we have this.
Speaker 1: Gift of being paid to stay curious.
Speaker 4: And he goes on about what a wonderful gift that was and how it makes him sad when people insist that.
Speaker 6: Science is fixed. This is what science says, and you shouldn't question it.
Speaker 4: He's totally against that it was beautifully said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it when you hear super smart people say very basic, childlike things.
Speaker 1: Yeah like that.
Speaker 2: It's like the Fermi paradox or Fermi principle or whatever it's called from that famous astrophysicist dude from way back in the day who said, well where is everybody?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 2: If there's a and other planets or life in other parts of the universe, or where has everybody been?
Speaker 1: So how come nobody's ever contacted?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that though. And look, I was not going for outrage this segment, But how different is that from I represent science and people getting canceled online for questioning quote unquote science.
Speaker 1: Love this guy's attitude.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk about the social credit score, this idea that some people are bothered by this.
Speaker 1: I think it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Like open table, if you've ever used that for making reservations for a restaurant or something like that is keeping track of people who like don't show or show up later, whatever, and then they're putting a score on that, and then restaurants see that, and then they're either more or less likely to give you a reservation based on that.
Speaker 1: I have no problem with that. Whatsoever.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the best buy Costco. Oh, you're the kind of person that buys something in the returns it like two times a year versus you've never done that before, so sure we'll let you return something for your money back.
Speaker 4: Airbnb is super big on everybody gets a review and providers as long as.
Speaker 2: The government's not involved in any way, like they're doing in China. I think the social credit score thing seems like a really good idea, interesting and I don't know how you'd stop a private company from doing it anyway, it's in their best interest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a good discussion. Anyway. We do a lot of hours.
Speaker 2: If you miss one, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 6: You should subscribe Armstrong and Getty