Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: No Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This he's Talking Cowboys, screaming live.
Speaker 3: From the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star in Frisco. Six second Pascot Tis Ted pt.
Speaker 2: Texdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s WBC studios. Welcome in everybody. We've got Patrick No, C. Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam.
Speaker 3: In the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: Glad you are with us. It is a Talking Tuesday. Get on the phone right now. Eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Get on the phone line and we're gonna talk. Call us eight eight t LK C B y ask.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna say or else? And I was like, or else.
Speaker 5: I don't know if we haven't call to do that, give us a call eight at eight eight five five two to nine seven. My question for the fans today, our question as a panel is what.
Speaker 3: Would be your fix it button?
Speaker 5: If you can click one thing, oh, one button and it solves one thing for this Cowboys, what would be the most significant click the button?
Speaker 3: And this could go a number of Weell, I know where it's going on. I'm okay with it. It's not us talking about it. You guys talk about it on the field. Say it with your chest.
Speaker 1: No, and you are yeah, go for it, click it, fix it, but do what they do.
Speaker 3: I'm okay with it. Let's talk to We're talking to Cowboys Nation today.
Speaker 1: That's what we're doing.
Speaker 3: This is true. We're talking Tuesday.
Speaker 5: I forgot yeah, dude to basically say it with your chest Friday, but on a Tuesday and in a different name.
Speaker 3: So we're saying away with your fan, right, say it with your fans.
Speaker 6: Trying to make it anything, I have no idea.
Speaker 5: Jerry Jones just said it with his chest on one O five three the Fan, the flagship station of Dallas Cowboys football.
Speaker 3: And it was a This was in Encore Patrick.
Speaker 5: After the fireworks that we saw last Tuesday. I was very I think, along with a lot of the nation, was very interested to see what uh Sean. I wasn't gonna say, Sean and r j r J was out today, what Sean Jerry Jones said on the fan this morning?
Speaker 3: What did you take away?
Speaker 7: I mean, apparently their besties again. Okay, that's just the media though, That's just how it goes. I mean, you know, part of Jerry's had his his spats with plenty of individuals in the media. I mean, you can ask our good friend Jane Slater. She will tell you. And then you know, once once they passes, that storm passes, it's it's back to you know, high fives and handshakes. And that's what it sounds like it was between him and the fan this morning. And and now we turn the page back to football, thank god, because that's kind of why I'm here. Yeah, if I need drama, I'll go back home to Georgia. But that being said, the biggest takeaway for me is the updates that we got on Michael Parsons and and Doron Bland, which kind of leads us writing the news and notes. So today, being Tuesday, we're having this conversation. I said on yesterday, we won't know any real traction on their updates until Wednesday, when we see if they hit the practice field what work they do. Did talk to Michael Parsons yesterday in the locker room. Michael said that his status for Sunday against the forty nine ers is still quote unquote up in the air. He's rightfully leaving it to britt Brown Jamar to make that decision. But he also said interestingly enough, he said that there he was asked is there anything physically that he can't do, and he said, no, there's nothing physical he can't do. So that's a great sign he's making progress coming out of the by a week. But Jerry Jones told the fan this morning that he, being Michael Parsons and de Ron Blander probably game time decisions. They want to see what both of those players look like from Wednesday through Saturday. So that's where we are on both of those guys. It would be just massive if either one of those guys can take the field against the forty nine ers, and if both can, then that much bigger of a deal.
Speaker 6: It would be huge if if both were available. However, if you only however, if.
Speaker 3: You can however, if you could only pick.
Speaker 1: One Patrick Walker, who it's going to be the pass rusher.
Speaker 7: If I could only pick one, it's got to be the pass rusher because you know, I build my defense from front to back, and the more pressure you can get up front, the easier it is to cover guys.
Speaker 5: So you've already seen what this defense looks like without the second or without the defensive back in with the pass rusher I have.
Speaker 7: But the the defensive end position is in more dire straits than the cornerback position.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: So when you look at it from that, I.
Speaker 3: Agree with you.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to play that you know you're being because we haven't.
Speaker 3: We haven't seen it, but it also they could. They've shown they can.
Speaker 5: Win the games without Michael Partisons. They have one a game without Mike period. That's part of it. But I still would rather have him back when he's a top three defender in football right now, which.
Speaker 7: It'd be like if you're the Pittsburgh Steelers and you say, okay, well, if t J. Watt was injured and high Smith was not, you say, okay, we got high Smith.
Speaker 1: And we got Hayward, we can go and win this game.
Speaker 7: But then look tunneled in the face and say, would you still prefer to have TJ?
Speaker 1: That's always going to.
Speaker 3: Be Yeah, would you rather have t J. Watt or I'm trying to think of their it's a comparable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's I guess Mink and Fitzpatrick is an all pro they have in their second area.
Speaker 7: That's in fact so, but it always for me, it always goes to number one. Build it from front to back, pass rush and QB pressure and stopping the run that helps you be able to cover better, shortens windows, makes it more, make it easier. But then when again you add the aspect of assuming, let's say Kayln Carson is ready to come back, Okay, Well, if Kayln Carson is ready to come back and you have Ao still still out there, then talent wise, as far as depth is concerned, you're not as pressed as you are without having Michael or Tank or Sam Williams or Marshawn kneeling and you're fielding. No knock to those guys because they showed up in Pittsburgh. But there's a good drop in talent from a Michael Parsons to a Chauncey Ghost, from Michael Parsons to a Tyrus Weed, and even from a Michael Parson to a car lost and a veteran guy. So if I had to pick one, I want both both, both both b O F f UM, both.
Speaker 6: Of But would you choose Micah in that regard to I would choose Miael hundred percent. You need to, Like I've talked about even yesterday, there is no threat on the defensive line. There's nobody that you're necessarily scared of. There's nobody that they're scheming against. You can go one on one against anybody on our defense and feel.
Speaker 3: Okay about it.
Speaker 6: As far as having drown Bland in the game, that would be great. However, they're dealing with some wide receiver death issues as well. I mean, obviously Brandon Ayuk is out for the season, but Deeba Samuel is not looking.
Speaker 3: Great as far as health wise.
Speaker 6: Great player obviously, So I think you have enough there at cornerback to suffice Ye through this next game, but you definitely want mic out there.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, I put it in high five last week.
Speaker 5: I said top five guys who have been missed the most Number one, Mica Partison.
Speaker 1: So you really were playing devils? Oh No?
Speaker 3: I actually yeah, I completely agree with you.
Speaker 1: That's Kyle.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: That's see.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing there's a lot of people. Let me pull back the media curtain here for a little bit. There's a lot of people. I've met them at training camp. They're like, dude, like you ask like these questions that are like it really seems like you're one way or the other, and you're wishy washy.
Speaker 3: No, my my, like, my ground that I stand on does not move.
Speaker 5: I just like asking provoking questions to my analysts to challenge you and challenge you and challenge Isaiah because it's better radio secrets.
Speaker 3: All right, anyways, continue with NEOs and notes.
Speaker 7: Oh no, that's for the most part, that's where we are. We're keeping an eye on the injuries. Michael Parsons, Lebron Bland, Kaylin Carson, will see if he can go, Eric Kendricks, Tyler.
Speaker 5: And Tyler got Tyler any severity to Tyler's Well, I don't know of anyone.
Speaker 7: I don't know that it's a severity issue. As much as it is, he was not one hundred percent. And they looked at it from playing the from the aspect of playing the long game. So by all accounts, whether you asked Mike McCarthy, whether you ask Jerry Jones, and they were asked whether you ask Stephen Jones, and he was asked as well. All three were asked, does do they believe the best five on the offensive line include Tyler got and left tackle and they all said yes. They all said yes in their varying ways. So that puts me of the belief that once Tyler Gottons one hundred percent healthy, which could be as early as this week, he will pop right back out to left tackle, starting left tackle. And you know, for for as great as Tyler Smith has shown he can be at left tackle, he also struggled last week against the Detroit Lions, so it's not as if he's he's you know, kevlar in that capacity as well. So the Cowboys are going to put Tyler guy in back at LT one as soon as he's healthy enough to do so, could be as early as this week.
Speaker 1: Eric Kendricks, that's something.
Speaker 7: That you definitely want to keep an eye on because the Cowboys certainly struggled. Shouts out to the mont Clark. He stepped up in a big way in the absence of Eric Kendricks. But Eric Kendricks is something different For Mike Zimmer in this defense, we don't know exactly what his status is, but we do know that added time to rest that calf and shoulder injury draws circle around him for tomorrow's practice and especially Thursday. Thursday's going to be the heaviest practice of the week. So if he can do anything in one of these first two practices, that's a good, good positive sign there.
Speaker 3: You feel good about it. Feel good about it all right.
Speaker 5: Since there's not really a whole lot else to add outside of news and notes, you want to take a first break, or you want to take a call here, let's take a call.
Speaker 1: You want to take a call, let's go Chris Beam.
Speaker 5: In the back running the phone lines today, Simer who is on the phone line currently, I'm working on that, working on it.
Speaker 3: We'll take our break there. It is talking cowboys. Give us a call eight.
Speaker 5: At eight eight five five two two nine seven year opportunity to talk to cowboys Nation, our opportunity to talk to it as well. Question today again, if you had one fix all button you could press for the cowboys, what would that one move be? Moving into the rest of the twenty twenty four campaign, we're talking cowboys right after this.
Speaker 8: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back. You need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and post yourself some Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 4: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 3: At and T five G.
Speaker 4: Fast, reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 9: Requires compatble plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 3: The wins will be even tasteier. It's a pepper thing to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company.
Speaker 3: This segment of the show is.
Speaker 5: Brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: I have to say this.
Speaker 6: I literally had Black Rifle coffee this morning and.
Speaker 5: Oats, Wow, you're a real opening man, Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 7: I did have some have some apple cinnamon Quaker Oats this morning, nice white, delicious.
Speaker 3: I didn't have my oats this morning, and I haven't had my coffee yet, but I will have both at some point.
Speaker 1: I also without men. Did you really?
Speaker 3: You are?
Speaker 5: Are you thinking about getting it or somebody up here thinking about it?
Speaker 3: I think I needed I did it?
Speaker 1: We all do?
Speaker 3: I did? It can be fair, it's not a bad thing. No, that's great. Yeah, I liked it. I actually had a.
Speaker 6: Perfect teeth and I just want them just to just to have it just.
Speaker 1: Uh that is flex. I like it.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: What did you have Black Rifle coffee this morning? Which which what was the flavor?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 3: Murdered out nice murdered out, Yeah, and interesting. I mean I like a really dark.
Speaker 6: Coffee, you know, really I like my coffee like I like my movie theaters, you know, Yeah, nice dark setting, very dark.
Speaker 3: I was wondering, oh, you know where he was going?
Speaker 1: And he completely at the last another one.
Speaker 3: Where I'm gonna pull hurt my heart as the host just went like this.
Speaker 1: Where he's going darkne I.
Speaker 3: Thought about like interrupting you. I was like, I don't know if I want to.
Speaker 1: I needed to know where that was.
Speaker 7: Was he going to finish the famous airplane line from the Airplane movie?
Speaker 1: If you know, you know, go back and google that.
Speaker 5: It's like the Reys Davis college game day last year at the Rose Bowls.
Speaker 3: You see that no, oh man, he.
Speaker 5: Was talking about Jalen Milroe, the quarterback from Alabama.
Speaker 3: He wears a shirt that says lank on it.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, and it was no yeah.
Speaker 3: Pat McAfee almost lost his mind on It's a hilarious I.
Speaker 1: Really wanted to hear what Josh he said.
Speaker 3: Movie theater.
Speaker 1: He's in a movie guy, two guy movies such thing as helf.
Speaker 5: All right, it's a talking Tuesday. We're talking to Cowboys Nation for the remainder of the show, give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Chris Beam just let us know in the in the break that when we went to him to answer the phone line, initially he said, somebody answered and there was just no one on the line. They could hear he could hear us in the background listening to the show.
Speaker 3: But hey, give us another call. Try it again. We'll see what happened. Happens this time around.
Speaker 5: We'll start things off though in north Port, Florida, or a good friend.
Speaker 3: Dylan on the line, Dylan, what's going on? You're on talking cowboys some guys.
Speaker 12: I got my black rifle coffee here too, beyond black.
Speaker 13: Very nice, Wakey, wakey. I want to talk about practice, practice, Ye, practice, talking about practice exactly. So this is troubling, highly concerning for me because there's one of two things that we can point to as to why practices are going poorly, and all the players are saying it all you know, the coaches are saying we're not practicing. Well, Mike McCarthey is now changing. The practice is up and you're not going to be good on Sundays if you're not practicing Monday through Friday or Saturday or whatever.
Speaker 10: It might be as cliche as.
Speaker 12: That sounds, but either the practices were set up incorrectly, which is troubling because that means the coach doesn't know what's going on, which I don't really know if that's the case or not, or in my opinion, there might be a professionalism professionalism issue where guys just want to play, They want to show up on Sunday and just be good because a lot of these guys do have a lot of talent, their premier players, their positions, and they maybe they can think they can just show up on Sunday and just play well. And so to me that screams young maybe not as professional as they need to be, because to me, professionalism is doing what your job entails, and your job and tail showing up and practicing throughout the week so you can play well on Sunday. So I just want to get your guys Tholfs on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate you, Dylan, great question as always, and we talked about it a little bit on our show last week when we were doing the mixing match with Brian and Barry, because Mike McCarthy talked about it. He said, we didn't prepare the right way, which a lot of times, if you don't prepare the right way, that's practice. You don't practice the right way, you don't watch film or whatever it may be. We don't know what's going on in there. But that also that falls directly on your head, coach, directly on your head coach along with the players. Kind of like what Dylan's talking about. But there's a lot of different ways you could go about it. Do you think practice is a concern.
Speaker 7: For this football team. I do think it's a concern for this football team. And I said this last week when we're doing the mix the mixing match, and I was on Girls Talk, Boys Talk, and I harped heavily on one of those episodes with my concern about this very thing because this isn't obviously, we only get to see the media portion of practice, right, so from the remainder of it, it's us taking, you know, phrases from.
Speaker 1: Mike McCarthy and michaemccarthy. I says, thinking practice better.
Speaker 7: And then when I stand next to Jordan Lewis on multiple occasions in the locker room after losses, and he says words like details, and he's frustrated because players. He feels like players are not treating every rep in practice as they would every rep in the game. When you talk to Michael Parsons in the locker room and he's saying things like, you know, he believes guys for the most part, all intents and purposes. He's saying, guys feel like they can just flip the switch in the game as opposed to giving that same energy on the practice field. So these are phrases and feelings that are coming from inside the locker room and the coaching staff.
Speaker 1: This is not speculation. This is not media driven, Dylan.
Speaker 7: This is not you and other Cowboys fans making this stuff up. This is actually a concern within the building. So I'm right there with you, Dylan, one hundred percent, and I see where you're going with the cal because it's it's on the coaches and the coordinators to orchestrate right to make sure that practice is being held to a certain standard.
Speaker 1: You are one hundred percent accurate.
Speaker 7: It is also true that it's on players to be professional because you're getting paid to do this. Right before you came to the NFL, you were a collegiate player and depending on your nil situation, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 1: Let's take it back to the high school.
Speaker 7: Okay, when you were in high school, you were likely not getting paid to play football, like, but you probably gave it all in practice because you had something to prove and you knew that that would translate over to the game. Well, move two levels up, and now you're in an NFL and you're being compensated at a high rate to do that same thing, and now you turn down in practice. So yeah, there's a little bit of youth here, not a little bit, but a lot of youth here that goes into that that maybe they don't understand what the standard is as a professional. You don't just get the check and say, Okay, now I've made it. No, you haven't made it. You've made it to that point, but that point is not the finish line. It's the starting line. The finish line is Super Bowl championship. The finish line is a Hall of Fame career. That's what you need to be chasing, and you chase that every single rep in practice. Not going halfway in practice. Well, I just said, there's no such thing as halfway.
Speaker 1: Crooks.
Speaker 7: You don't go halfway in practice and you can go all the way. Talent will mask some of that depending on your levels. But as you start to get older, when talent starts to fade and your fundamentals start to really show what kind of player are you? So show up on the practice field, show up every single rep, and then that will process itself in the game.
Speaker 1: So I'm right there with you doing.
Speaker 6: Just to add to that is the changing of the guard in terms of defensive coordinator. Do you we think that's a big part of it because we're not just pointing at the defense as far as like practice and putting your best self out there when it comes to you know, just practicing, right, I'm thinking, is it the changing of the guard and the coaching tree this year that has sort of emphasized this issue?
Speaker 5: Maybe I think it falls on the offensive side too, though, because it's got to be a lot of times, yeah, a lot of times with the offense, it's timing, it's it's miss miscommunication, it's missed assignments, and all of these things are stuff that you go over and practice. It may not be completely fixed. There's no way you're going to be one hundred percent accurate in a football game. Over the course of four quarters. It's just not going to happen. There's going to be mis user's going to be mistakes. But these are all things that you go over and over and over and over and over again in practice, even though you are given a limited amount.
Speaker 3: Of time to practice in the middle of a week.
Speaker 5: I think it kind of goes back to what Patrick's talking about, and maybe it's in the in between the two of them, because the.
Speaker 3: Coaches aren't going to coach like it's high school. That's not the case. Mike McCarthy's not going to go row Micah Parsons in lines.
Speaker 5: Not that Mike's of course, he's injured and he's not even out there, but you.
Speaker 3: Get what I mean.
Speaker 5: He's not gonna take his old pro guys and he's gonna throw him on the on the field and say.
Speaker 3: Get me twenty like go run lines back.
Speaker 5: And these are pro athletes, so at some point they have to be held to a certain standard.
Speaker 3: This coaching staff also they're pro coaches.
Speaker 5: They're guys that have the top of the top, the upper echelon of coaching in this sport. To the fact that if you don't know a scheme, if you don't know film, you don't know what your opponent's going to try and do, and you don't anticipate it to the right way. That's why coaches get fired so often, because it's the top of the top and the cream rises to the top, and a lot of times coaching staffs don't have that cream. They just sink back to the bottom. Robert Solid, for instance, he's a great coordinator, wasn't a great head coach. We'll see what happens for the rest of his career. I'm sure he's gonna land somewhere and have a ton of successes as a defensive coordinator. Again, however, in New York at that time, he didn't do a great job of setting his football team up for success. So I think it is I think it's somewhere in the middle of practice. Is your all encompassing problem. It's going to be between your coaching staff and your players.
Speaker 7: And especially when you hear Mike Zimmer say things like fundamentals and we're entering week eight and your defensive.
Speaker 1: Coordinators to training camp.
Speaker 7: Fundamentals that fundamentals don't get learned in games, they get learned and refined in practice.
Speaker 1: And these are professionals.
Speaker 5: So that means you're behind too, is we're two months into this thing.
Speaker 1: This thing to the regular.
Speaker 7: Coordinator is talking about you need to get back to fundamentals.
Speaker 6: And I think it speaks to the coaching staff too, where it's like they evaluated it over the bye weekend They're like, Okay, now here's where we can make changes. They finally had a chance to reflect on.
Speaker 3: It and see, that's that's going to be big about this week.
Speaker 7: Right, that's the good news. The good news about this. Oh I should say the silver lining here is this is fixable. We're talking about what we are talking about practice mill This part is fixable. We can talk about will is the roster strong enough? Good argument? We could debate that. We could talk about are you know, are the right coaches in the right places.
Speaker 1: That's a debate. We can talk about that another time as well.
Speaker 7: But when you talk about effort and practice, that's fixable immediately.
Speaker 1: Just give it the time. Just give it.
Speaker 3: I like the across the hall conversations.
Speaker 5: If there's been one thing through the bye week that has given me hope, it's the fact that Mike McCarthy and these players seem excited Rico Dwell. We talked to him yesterday in the locker room and the way that he talked about the across the hall meetings, and he outlined he said, running backs with linebackers, wide.
Speaker 3: Receivers are with the corners.
Speaker 5: You've got tight ends with the with the linebackers and the safeties. I mean, there's a lot of different things that these these guys are learning from each other this week. And then Mike talked about it in his press conference yesterday. I said that it didn't feel like a bye week around here. That makes me feel like there's something moving in the right direction, even whenever it hasn't looked great to this point in the season.
Speaker 7: All right, One thing about McCarthy, and I'll say this before we go to the news day. McCarthy coming out of bie weeks in the regular season.
Speaker 3: Twelve and five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, been pretty good. Uh.
Speaker 5: Ab from Redondo Beach, California, which I looked up on a map. It's just like southwest of Los Angeles, like right on the coast right Ab. Yes, sir, How how far if you were to just walk out your front door right now, how long would it.
Speaker 3: Take for you to hit sand?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 15: Well forty five minutes. Oh really walking? Yeah about driving about Okay, so.
Speaker 3: You're a little bit further out. I thought you were going to be like.
Speaker 1: Right on mus on the water, as Josh would be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Josh would be like like Penthouse, right Josh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, you drive off the balcony and you hit someone.
Speaker 3: I love it. That's the idea.
Speaker 16: AB.
Speaker 3: What's on your mind, my friend? You're on talking Cowboys.
Speaker 15: Well, fixes would be to swap out the coordinators.
Speaker 3: Okay, and how how would you make that adjustment?
Speaker 17: Now?
Speaker 15: Well, I mean, unfortunately you can't do much. But I would do al Harris and I would do Schottenheimer. You know, I know people talk, I mean McCartney, I mean McCarthy, you know, even in Green Bay. You know, you know the reason why he left green you know he got fired from Green Bay was because his offense got stagnant and stale. And it's the same thing now. And you know, we talked.
Speaker 14: About last year how they had.
Speaker 15: The number one scoring offense. But you know, doron Bland, if you think about it, he accounted for two points a game. If you you know his six touchdowns, if he averaged over the seventeen games he averaged he counted for two points a game. You know, I just think that McCarthy. You know, he's a good coach overall, but I don't think his play calling is up to par anymore. And you know, I love Zimmer, but the same thing. I think they're both I hate to say over to hill, but somewhat like over the hill. And I mean with the modern they're not up with the modern NFL or the modern play calling. You know, he can't. I mean even Zimmer can't fix the whole problem with the San Francisco type motions and stuff like that. And McCarthy, I don't understand why he doesn't adapt some of that stuff, since he sees how effective that it is against his defense, why he doesn't, you know, adapt that into the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Hoppins Now, great point, great point, ab. We appreciate the call as always. And by the way, while you're out there, you're not too far from Oxnard, California, so come say hi whenever.
Speaker 3: You're out there.
Speaker 5: He brings up a great point in terms of the play calling, and he said switch out the coordinators.
Speaker 3: I think he meant switch the play calling.
Speaker 5: And give those duties to Al Harris, give those duties to Schottenheimer because he said that you can't really do much right now in twenty twenty four, but that is one thing you can do.
Speaker 3: You can't really fire your defensive coordinator. You can't.
Speaker 5: But I don't think that's anything that we're calling for here yet.
Speaker 3: I would have pause, and the only reason being.
Speaker 5: Is that those two guys at least have experience on their side, and they've been around and they've adjusted through the course of a sixteen game, seventeen game now season. I would trust the fact that a turnaround would come more efficiently with Mike McCarthy and Mike Zimmer as your play callers because of the experience that they have, as opposed to Brian Schottenheimer and Al Harris, who are still in the building, who still have input on what is already happening in the building and haven't had that play calling experience on their backbone. I would love to see those guys get an opportunity. Don't get me wrong, because I think they're both great, but just in this current environment, in this current situation with the Cowboys, I don't think I would do anything.
Speaker 6: No, and Mike Zimmer's on a one year deal as is my McCarthy at this point, and I think the trust is there with Mike Zimmer he came into, you know, a tough hand. He was dealta to a tough hand when he came to the Cowboys because this is not the defensive personnel that he likes to run. Granted they try to help implement that, but you've dealt with a.
Speaker 3: Lot of injuries too.
Speaker 6: I don't think a lot of the blame can necessarily go on Mike Zibber because of the hand he's been dealt so far and the injuries, and not to make excuses, but to me, obviously it lies in the offense.
Speaker 5: And it's not an excuse, it's a reason exactly right, it's part of I mean, yeah, it's the facts are the facts.
Speaker 6: The science of the science when you don't have the pass ushers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know, no he said it, it happened.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 6: The science is the science, and the fact that you're missing four of your top five yes, science, I know, darn it.
Speaker 7: For me looking at it from an offensive standpoint, first, when it comes to Mike McCarthy, I've seen and you know he he makes a great point. This is an offense that has led the League, it's been number one, right. And I also love the fact that he brought up the Deron Blank contribution to the scoreboard. That tells me that this guy knows ball. He also knows science. Good stuff there. But what I'm seeing are ebbs and flows in McCarthy's offense. And when it's flowing, man, it is flowing. I mean the damn breaks and they are racking up points. But when you're going through an EBB, and typically you start to dissect why's this happening? Then you could say things like Dak and See they are not on the same page. The blocking up front has just not been there. And again not excuses but reasons, right, And then you start to wonder, well, if Dak and Seed were on the same page for four quarters, and if the blocking up front was sufficient for the run game to take effect, would we be in a flow versus an EBB?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: So I say that to say I've seen Mike McCarthy's offense and pre snap motion as well.
Speaker 1: We talk a lot about pre snap motion.
Speaker 7: He went from when he first came into the Cowboys outfit McCarthy did there was not a lot of pre snap motion, and he was railed against for that, and then he revamped his analytics team and then you started to see more pre snap motion. And last year he did a ton of pre snap motion. But you've kind of seen it turn down this year up to this bye week. What if that gets turned back up.
Speaker 1: I say that to.
Speaker 7: Say, he's shown me he can cook up when everything is firing. So I'm going to say, let me see if he can cook up coming out of the bye week, because we talked about how good his teams do coming out of a bye week. Defensively speaking, it's a different situation because in the off season I was one of the biggest advocates of Al Harris taking on the defensive coordinator position. I could not be higher on Al Harris than I have been since he's coming to Dallas. But if you're talking about a mid season change in duties, I think for a first time coordinator, which which is what Al Harris would be, you need an off season.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: You need an off season of prep. You need an off season of getting the personnel that you want to run this type of system you want. You can't do that in week eight for a first time defensive coordinator. What I would like to see and kind of qualify this by saying, we don't know how much input El Harris has with Mike Zimmer versus not at all, So we don't know. There's a possibility that Mike Zimmer is sitting right next to El Harris when he's building the game plan for any respective week. Quite possible. If that's the case, wonderful, Maybe turn it up a notch. I don't know, So we don't know whose hands are dirtier there. But of course, because Zimmer is the coordinator, just like McCarthy is the head coach, title, the title with the title comes to blame, just like with the title comes to praise. Less of the latter, more of the former in Dallas.
Speaker 6: But nonetheless, I think, especially if you're the head coach who was also the play caller, I think that the spotlight is on that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we don't know how much input, and we know that he has input, but we don't know how much input Schottenheimer has with McCarthy. We know that they sit down with Dak every single week and they come up with a game play.
Speaker 1: Is that what's that scale? Right?
Speaker 7: That scale twenty percent deck and thirty percent shoddy and fifty percent, Mike, or is that more forty percent?
Speaker 1: Might?
Speaker 7: We don't know what the percentages are there. So because we don't know, we don't know if handing over duties completely the Schottenheimer is much different than what they're doing right now anyway.
Speaker 1: So it's week eight, they're coming out of the by.
Speaker 7: If this team doesn't cook up like we have seen them cook up on the McCarthy era after the bye, then we revisit this conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, there's a lot to digest there. Let's take a deep breath.
Speaker 1: Call is a killing it?
Speaker 5: So, yeah, there are two great callers, two great callers already.
Speaker 3: When we come back, though, we've got two more great callers on the line after the break, more talking cowboys than a talking Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per holl. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fastly and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t FI G Fast reliable Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires Campaba plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. Seeatt dot com slash five G FORU fifty deals.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch This year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot Com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime Erica. How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 17: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required dowloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: This segment has brought to you by in Visi Ligne, the official smile of the Dalla As Cowboys and of Josh Rodriguez, Right, yeah, versal teeth baby, Yeah. Back you're with Josh, with Patrick Nocy Walker, Chris Beam in the back. Isaiah will be back tomorrow. He is currently on Kyle Brandt's.
Speaker 3: Angry Run segment. It's kind of distracting.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna lie as we speak. He's on Good Morning Football, But don't watch that. Watch Talkingboy Boys and then go back. Yeah, you can go back and watch it.
Speaker 3: You they're on for four hours. They're fine. They can take an hour and give it to us. All Right, we've got some callers on the line.
Speaker 5: More Talking Tuesday, continuing on eight eight, eight eight five five.
Speaker 3: Two two nine seven.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to Phoenix, Arizona where Allen is on the line, and Arizonia.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 10: Oh knowing, guys doing great, doing great, excellent.
Speaker 3: What's your what's your fix it all button?
Speaker 5: For the Dallas Cowboys. One move that could fix the twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 10: You know, honestly, it all starts with DAK and CD. I feel like because the big going, you know, the defense has to start respecting TD a lot more. I mean not that they don't already, but you know, they start cooking. Then the running game opens up and you know all the other you know, receiver two, receiver three start opening up, and yeah, I just feel like if they start cooking, everything starts cooking. You know, defense, I believe in like Zimmer honestly, and you know, these injuries they don't help at all. But you know, just the the.
Speaker 18: Card you're dealt with.
Speaker 3: You know, it is the cards you're dealt with.
Speaker 5: Alan appreciate the call as always, and that brings up.
Speaker 3: Two good points. One, there still needs to be the belief in Mike Zimmer. We were talking about it on this show previously. Is Zimmer. He's still Zimmer. He didn't change. He just hasn't had a ton of success right now.
Speaker 5: Whether that's because of the injuries, because of the personnel, because of the system, whatever it may be. There just hasn't been a ton of success. But flipping to the offense, it does start with DAK and CD. Always that's where the paychecks begin. Yes, that's where the the sour cap begins, That's where the conversation begins, and that's where the presership is where a lot of it happens. That's that's why they sit next to each other. In the locker room right there in the center, because those are the two guys that you have to set the tone with, and neither one of those guys.
Speaker 3: Maybe Dak Dak has played good football.
Speaker 5: I would say I would be willing to say Dak has played good football outside of the turnovers.
Speaker 3: The turnovers are concerning. But but you can't stay outside of the turnovers exactly. That's that's all encompassing, correct. So yeah, both both guys got to be better.
Speaker 7: Correct And we talked about it yesterday with biology right and what was my answer to the question who would I Who do I need to see more from c?
Speaker 1: D Lamb?
Speaker 7: Yep, it's because for me, ce Ed Lamb is him, and when you're a top two receiver in the league, it's the onus is going to be on you to make sure that you know you figure out. And this goes to the coordinator as well, This goes to McCarthy as well. And I asked Brian Schttenheimer about it specifically, like what's plan coming out of the by a week as far as getting CD to defeat some of those coverages that the coverage looks that he's seen earlier in the season now than he ever did in his career, cloud coverages and safety shading toward him and things like that, and there just has to be a better plan going forward so that Ceedee Lamb isn't being deleted in the second half of games or the first half of games to then reappear in the second half of games. We need four full quarters of Ceedee Lamb being shoved down the throats of an opposing defense. And once that starts happening, you will start to see don't you do it? You will start to see Dak Prescott's proficiency improved because you will also see wide receiver two and wide receiver three and Jake Ferguson take a step forward. And as that passing game goes forward, then you start to see, guess what, assuming the blocking is there, the running game starts to take off because teams can't stack the box.
Speaker 1: They got to play back and they got to playoff.
Speaker 7: So for me, it will all go as Seedee Lamb goes because we've seen this movie before on this offense, they couldn't get.
Speaker 1: The run game going last year. Who do they get going? CD lamb and the wrist was the rest I think we need.
Speaker 6: You know, remember those old walkman's where it's like they just started coming out with like sport versions where you could like run with them and stuff.
Speaker 1: You see a walkman.
Speaker 6: We need one of those because we need we need to have our CDs.
Speaker 3: Stop skipping.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, No more bumps in the ruck.
Speaker 1: Skip skip protection.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, skip production for then you have it in your pocket, you can't even take a step.
Speaker 6: Exactly, the skipping songs and everything.
Speaker 3: Remember my iPod doing that?
Speaker 1: Yes, take it easy.
Speaker 3: I never had a walkman.
Speaker 5: No, I don't even know if you if you put it on a table, I don't know if I can tell you what it is.
Speaker 6: I had to use my like for real, I'm not even lying. Yes, I had to use it was yellow.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 5: I had like cassette tapes in the car with my dad. He had a FOD tourists back in the.
Speaker 3: Day, beat silver Bullet, No CDs. The CDs were there. But I'm saying, earliest I can remember was the that tapes. Okay, that we're in there. But I never had like a walkman.
Speaker 7: Oh man, Okay, I have to show you one. I have to go digg in an addic is a walkman?
Speaker 5: With a CD in it there. I thought I may have had like a portable CD player.
Speaker 3: Is that a walkman?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean okay, that's what I haven't called.
Speaker 7: If you had that also had a rewind button, oh, baller status. Everybody knows that if because most of them only had the fast forward button, so you had to fast forward, you had to flip the table over fast forward as a rewind and flip it back over press play. Now I'm not there yet, and you have to keep doing that. But if you had one that had a rewind button as well, then you will. Probably Josh Rodriguez.
Speaker 3: He had one implanted in his backmobile car that was driving exactly that. All right, let's go to Bob in Rio Grand Valley. You are a final caller today, Bob? What's going on there?
Speaker 15: But I never had like a walkman home.
Speaker 3: Oh we heard, uh heard heard ourself.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you listening, but remember to turn down your radio, Bob, Bob there.
Speaker 14: Yes, sir, how are y'all doing this morning?
Speaker 18: I'm good?
Speaker 14: Did anybody watch the game last night?
Speaker 3: Watch quite a bit of it? Actually, what do you have?
Speaker 18: Did you notice what I noticed?
Speaker 3: What's that that was? It is that number.
Speaker 18: Baltimore. Baltimore got away from the running game in the first half, and look what happened.
Speaker 14: They were down on big time.
Speaker 18: All of a sudden, King Henry starts getting the ball second half and boom, they just exploded. He exploded.
Speaker 14: Now that I'll tell you something about the importance of the running game.
Speaker 18: Which I'm sure it does. But also what it told me was I have every right to be sick in my stomach because we could have had King Henry except Jerry didn't take the damn.
Speaker 3: Phone call in returnment and try.
Speaker 18: To get him. My god, we've got a general manager, this dumb.
Speaker 14: And with that, I'll get off and.
Speaker 18: Listen to anybody else.
Speaker 14: And oh, by the way, I agree with that caller uh before the last one when he said that Mike McCartney's Carthy's uh calling play calling is.
Speaker 18: Very very predictable. I'll guarantee you.
Speaker 14: On first now you know that might as well have.
Speaker 18: A committee meeting. You're right there at the line of scrimmage on the right side, because on the west side, because that's where.
Speaker 14: They're going to run the ball, and you can count on it just about every damn time.
Speaker 18: Y'all have a great.
Speaker 3: Day A tank, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I love Bob is.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite fans in general because he all encompasses exactly what we think a lot.
Speaker 3: Of the times, but we just aren't going to say. And I think where I said, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know, man, I don't know if I can do another Derek Henry call, like, I get it.
Speaker 3: Frustrating it but it is.
Speaker 6: It is totally But what are we going to do about it?
Speaker 3: Nothing? You can't What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Could?
Speaker 3: Nor could you? At the same time you couldn't do anything? Then exactly that's the point of it. I love you, Bob. But the thing about many gonna do.
Speaker 5: The thing about Bob that makes me laugh is he's a lot of times he's very even keel. Even after a loss he's called us in, he's kind of had a steady hand.
Speaker 3: He's like, man, it just didn't go our way today. I thought there were a couple of things that we could have done. Well It's like, yeah, you're right, Bob, like it just didn't go our away.
Speaker 5: And then this time he's like, not Derek again, I can't believe this stomach.
Speaker 15: I get it.
Speaker 3: What were gonna do? What are you gonna do you know what I'm.
Speaker 5: Saying, fifteen carries one hundred and sixty nine yards, no touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Last cool man, you know he went on.
Speaker 7: So okay, So here's what I am with it, right, I am not one that's going to I'm not gonna be labor the point, right I'm not.
Speaker 1: So I'm right there with you, Josh. I'm not going to be labor the point that.
Speaker 7: Being said as one of the vain advocates who wanted Derek Henry A. Dallis, I'm also not going to begrudge fans that week in week out seeing Derek can redominate and they get to quote Bob's line to his stomach right, Like, I'm not going to begrudge them that. I'm not going to be the guy that keeps bringing it up every week. Right now, quietly to myself, I was watching that game last night. I didn't put a tweet out about it, but I was watching that game and I was like, so being that I felt that way, I know fans are.
Speaker 1: Feeling that way as well. So okay, cool Bob, it made six.
Speaker 7: But Josh's point, I'm also not going to be the guy that keeps bringing up but if you come to me and you're like, oh, no, see, we could have, I'm gonna be like, yeah, you could have.
Speaker 6: I just I handle it differently. I stare at my TV like I'm Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket, and I'm just Kubrick staring into the camera, staring through my eyebrows.
Speaker 1: It's just one of those things.
Speaker 7: Man, when you know you when you could have, and I think was bothering fans, you are special. I think what's bothering fans is the lack of attempt, right. So I think fans would find it much easier to digest if the all was made and money just couldn't be agreed on. And Derek was like, you know what, I'm going to Baltimore. I Derek Henry believe it's a better situation and they're paying me more money.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, you lose out that way.
Speaker 7: But if you notice fans are constantly harping on there was no call made.
Speaker 1: So again I'm not gonna belabor the point.
Speaker 7: But if a fan is still pissed off about it, I'm not going to judge him for that either.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 5: The credit to Derick Henry, to a lot of people thought he was done, and he is absolutely.
Speaker 7: Lot of people think a lot of things and they make a lot of comments and then things like this happened. So you should probably watch. But there's some people and stop just talking.
Speaker 6: There are some people that literally just schedule the tweet every Monday. Did you see what Dereck Henry did with those stats? You know what I mean? You get to do that every week and be like, all right, man, all right.
Speaker 18: So.
Speaker 1: Grudget, Hey, if you're mad about it, let's just move on.
Speaker 3: He's there, he's happy.
Speaker 1: Cook.
Speaker 3: Why are we upset? I know exactly. They went and got Dalvin.
Speaker 7: Cook, former all press.
Speaker 1: In practices. No he's not because he's not touched the game field yet.
Speaker 3: No he hasn't. All right, that doesn't for us.
Speaker 5: Here on talking Cowboys, some great callers today. By the way, great calls gives us some great conversation. Tomorrow we turn the page officially from the bye week into San Francisco.
Speaker 3: And the forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: On Sunday Night Football tomorrow, we preview the Dallas defense up against this rock Party led San Francisco offense, and who is going to be outside of Brock Purty on that offense?
Speaker 3: They are banged.
Speaker 1: Struggling too.
Speaker 3: They are banged.
Speaker 6: It ain't looking party.
Speaker 3: Boo.
Speaker 5: That's it, Paradino, see Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Chris Beam in the back of cale Omens. We'll be back tomorrow previewing the Dallas defensive matchup against San Francisco.
Speaker 3: We'll see you there.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.