Speaker 1: My League Bucks has all the knowledge you want.
Speaker 2: My League Buns has all the knowledge you need.
Speaker 3: My League Buns yet they have all the books that.
Speaker 4: The whole wild world Wunner reads.
Speaker 3: My League Bucks.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's bookshef bringing the world together with books, culture and community. Hon my name is Malik, your host of Malik's Bookshelf.
Speaker 4: Whoo.
Speaker 6: Last week was my one hundredth episode. I titled it Why I Do what I Do. I hope you enjoy it, and if you hadn't listened to it, I definitely costed you to go back, or it hastened you to go back and peep out my last episode, which was the one hundred Why I do what I do? And I kind of tell you in detail, a deeper and more insight to my passion and the work and mission that I'm on here at Milite Books and Malise's Bookshelf the podcast. Also, what I want to talk about is this upcoming Wait, it don't stop at Milite Books. We still got it popping, we still got it going on. We are in an epicenter, a community bookstore that's hosting one icon an event after another, and this Tuesday coming up May seventh at seven pm at Milite Books. We're gonna be doing a discussion book signing with a new author just up and coming, and he's blowing up. I haven't seen articles in the La Times, the Washington Post, the People's Magazine. The AP News then popped them up on their news line. This guy, Ladariu Williams wrote a book called Blood at the Route, and it's the first I'm assuming the first, at least in this day and time. Book there's kind of a parallel to Harry Potter, but from a black perspective, where the highlighted and featured person is named Alite, a man, a boy, right, so his name has to be the same name as my name, Elite, And he's the main character in the book Blood at the Root. And I'm going to be interviewing the Darren Williams about this book. But this book is a magical. It's a Wii book and it's magical. It's full with powers and fantasy, and it's a book where it shows a strong black male character so that we can relate to in a different way. A lot of these fantasy books don't always feature black as the main character, but this one fleets out only a black person, but a male. And so this is what his mention was and what spurred him the right screenplays and the right movie squips and the pitch his book deal.
Speaker 7: It's because he wanted to see stronger movies, books and series to talk about that all feature that is a strong black male character.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna have the pleasure to interview on them.
Speaker 6: But if you can't make Blood at the Root book launch party this May seven, seven pm at Malik Books in the Westfield CoA see tomorrow pre order order the book from Malikbooks dot com.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you.
Speaker 6: Or wherever books are sold, but I'll say this, I got a chance to read it, and I.
Speaker 3: Hope to see this book.
Speaker 6: Won't tell you turn into a TV series or a movie.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you you know.
Speaker 6: HBCU is the backdrop of the story that teaches Maliite how to cultivate and harness his power within him and also how to control it.
Speaker 3: Malik doesn't know who to trust and how to trust.
Speaker 6: But alone this journey, he's able to discover his true self and his legacy. Blood represents who Malique is, and Roots represents the legacy and history and ancestrals of Malite. So those two combined makes a world win of fantasy, of power, of excitement of HBCU schools, and a strong black male character, so a blood at the root. We're gonna be talking about it with the author in person. Book launch party at Malik's Books and Westfield Clova City Mall May seventh at seven pm.
Speaker 3: Come through. Now it ain't over.
Speaker 6: It ain't over because on May eleventh we are hosting in partnership with b Shop as Black Scholars Achievement Program, which is an la USD program within the school district. Now this collaboration is bringing Grace Spyers. She's an actress of community activists and a New York.
Speaker 4: Times bestseller who wrote the book I Am Enough and I Can Believe. Both of those books we got free for children out at Cleveland High School coming up this signing day May eleventh, between one and eleven.
Speaker 3: Grace bid is gonna be signing in person. That's right, signing in person.
Speaker 6: These landmark books I Am Enough and I Believe I Can Now you gotta come on as a family event.
Speaker 3: Everything is free. The books are free for the kids. Now go their thoughts, but free for the kid. Bring them on out. Now.
Speaker 6: When you get there, they're gonna have you register, but just to let Malik know you coming so we can make sure we got enough book. Go to Malie Book and RGVP from our website. We just want to know who's coming out so that we know to have the right amount of book. We're giving away the hundreds and the hundreds of these books and partnership with b Shop Now, Now, this is the kind of thing LSUSD is doing for the community, underserved communities, and b Shop is Black Scholars Achievement Program is committed to make a difference in the inner cities of Los Angeles. So you gotta come on out this Saturday, May eleven at Cleveland High School. Come get a signed book by Grace Buyers from eleven to one pm.
Speaker 3: Take some pictures. This is gonna be epic. You gotta come on out. Malik Books won't bill. It's gonna be on the set. We excited. You gotta come on out. But it ain't over. And it ain't over. We got another event to announce.
Speaker 6: We got the epic, iconic Shining Henderson coming.
Speaker 3: To Malate Books May fifteen.
Speaker 6: Now you might not know that name, but that's Shaquille O'Neill's ex wife, Shanni, the creator of basketball Wise.
Speaker 3: Now she didn't remarry, So.
Speaker 6: Her name is Henderson, and she's been a lot of things and she's evolved over these years.
Speaker 3: But she got her new book out called Undefeated.
Speaker 6: That's right, Los Angeles is Undefeated, and Shanee Henderson is going to be on set at Malikue Books on May fifteenth at seven pm.
Speaker 3: Is going down. Listen this book Undefeated, Changing the rules and winning on my own terms.
Speaker 6: It's an electric and powerful and inspiring and motivating story about Shannie Henderson having to change her life as a mother, as a wife, and as a producer and creator of Basketball Wise, one of the more successful reality shows on television. So I'm happy to announce this iconic entrepreneur, producer, author, Seannie Anderson coming to Elite Books on May fifteenth at seven pm. This is why you need to follow malik Books on our Instagram. This is why you need to listen to Released Books podcast to find out what's popping next. This is why you need to register for our email, get our news level for our promotions and these types of events.
Speaker 3: So hey visitmlikbooks.
Speaker 6: Dot com, Join our email list, follow us on social media because we got it on and popping and it don't stop at Elite Books.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to feature on this.
Speaker 6: Episode a personal conversation I had the other day with myself, just talking about the trials and triviulations as a father to Dark.
Speaker 3: Just to talk.
Speaker 6: About how I was processing.
Speaker 3: My track and being a father.
Speaker 6: I'm what I'm saying is how I process being a coach and a father to my daughter, and how those lines.
Speaker 3: Sometimes become blurred and.
Speaker 6: It's hard to separate the tooth, and how sometimes your daughter wants you to be the father and sometimes I'm still being a coach.
Speaker 3: But at the end, how proud.
Speaker 6: I am of her overcoming some obstacles that we will face as a family, but more importantly in her life. This was the emotional roller coaster during this time and it's sometimes it still is, but I just wanted her to know that I'm proud of her.
Speaker 3: And I did this episode from the heart. So enjoy it and Daya mal.
Speaker 2: Shait have division form Pree Lambs. Baby girl overcame a lot to get to this point.
Speaker 8: I'm proud of her. Whatever way this ends.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, I'm recording this video let her know I'm proud of her. Don't matter how it ends tomorrow, I won't be proud of her. And I just want her to know that it's sometimes being a father and also coaching can bloody lines.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm already an Ella copy up parent.
Speaker 2: And so I'll be wanting this more than my own children a lot of times because I see some mental and I be wanting them to achieve, you know, to get to that next level. But they gotta want it and gott to see it in in mind. My problem is a lot of times I want it more than them, and that's when it hurt you, because I'm trying to hold on until they find a way to believe, like I believe in them.
Speaker 8: Somebody gotta believe.
Speaker 2: You know, you ain't born always believing in it in yourself.
Speaker 8: It's when people point out the.
Speaker 2: Gifts in you and encourage you to be you because you don't always see it yourself because you're too close to yourself. And I'm just trying to say it enough and long enough for her to believe in something that's inside of her that I.
Speaker 8: Believe is a gift, a talent.
Speaker 2: This in her It's like look, my job as a parent is to be a guid and to help facilitate success, and that comes with gruth and I gotta help them believe what sometimes they don't believe.
Speaker 8: And I got off the sideline.
Speaker 3: I was retired from track.
Speaker 2: I came back to the sport because I saw a gift and my baby girl, and I wanted to help her facilitate that because.
Speaker 8: You don't see that all the time.
Speaker 2: And when she was eleven, she won the Junior Olympics eleven years old in the eight hundred meters and her team almost set the national record in the fourth by eight hundred.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: At eleven, she went two nineteen.
Speaker 2: I mean she went in the finals, fourth and came out the winner, dropped four seconds in the finals.
Speaker 8: The god came out in her.
Speaker 2: I've been chasing that guy and her every since and she's sixteen, and she showed me.
Speaker 8: That guy in her and random last year they.
Speaker 2: Would know and I ain't never forgot that race.
Speaker 8: I cried when she went.
Speaker 2: I cried.
Speaker 8: I knew the sacrifice that.
Speaker 2: It took to win it, and I was so proud that I'm proud of her them, and it's because she fought back in a lot of ways.
Speaker 8: And I didn't even realize.
Speaker 2: That she was able to come back from what she came back and to beat here at the Shaya Division for Free Limbs.
Speaker 8: After what we went through.
Speaker 2: And I mean, man, a lot of people can relate, particularly when an illment comes out of nowhere and affects not only their lives but all of us.
Speaker 8: Who loved her, And.
Speaker 2: It just blew me away and it changed our direction and it became more of us just loving her and accepting the situation and trying to get some normancy. And I mean because we were facing with a lot of challenges, man, that we had to overcome academic challenges from this thing year, physical challenges.
Speaker 8: I mean this thing here, man, it took about two.
Speaker 2: And a half years for us to.
Speaker 3: Get back to.
Speaker 2: A level of I'm you know, normancy what I'm saying. And so when it came to the ac.
Speaker 9: Athletics, I was like, oh, man, I think that might be a thing in the past. I just didn't see us even being able to get back to that, you know, so that this is this is quite a surprise.
Speaker 2: I didn't I didn't believe that we was going because it's so much has happened, and a lot of things have changed the way we particularly our baby and her thinking and so forth, and the way she see the world.
Speaker 8: Stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just all of this affects it and it affected us. They're just things that were more important than athletics. You know, we were faced with a lot of academic challenges because of this thing here. I don't care what them doctor say, this thing he affects your learning, Okay.
Speaker 8: I don't care what they were saying that.
Speaker 2: You know, I think they live in some you know, telling some falsehoods and living some lies when they say, you know that this stuff don't effect that. You know, this illment don't affect you. You're learning and the medication what I'm saying, don't effect and it do and it affect the whole lot, and you're like your person not a whole lot.
Speaker 8: So just to get back.
Speaker 3: You know, to where we.
Speaker 8: Found where we was not feeling you know.
Speaker 10: Like what's the word right here? Like panic, nervous.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's crazy when you can't ride a bike, can't leave you in water. O.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like I'm like one I open all the time, Like look, you know, just in the back of your mind, wondering if something's gonna happen. So this right here man was devastating to us and came out of nowhere.
Speaker 8: But my baby fall back through that and made it year after prelambs the physical fault.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm proud of her, Like she might not understand that because as a parently push push and push and push and push, and the lines get blurred and so they don't you know, sometimes they can't they You know what kind of parent would I would I be if I.
Speaker 8: Didn't push right?
Speaker 2: If I would let her make decisions that affect her life long that not help us hurt her.
Speaker 8: You know, kids don't choose sometimes the right things.
Speaker 2: But we got to help them choose the right things so they can see this is in their best interest.
Speaker 8: So I'm just I'm just grateful and thankful.
Speaker 2: And whatever happened tomorrow, hey, I'm an accepted and embrace her and.
Speaker 8: Huger and pickre up.
Speaker 10: Just that.
Speaker 8: Hey, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 2: Know, just think here can continue. You know, we got a pr and we gotta be the.
Speaker 3: Top nine that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it might not and if it don't happen, oh well, I'm proud of you I love you and I'm very grateful to have this opportunity to be a spectator because a whole lot of people got eliminated, a whole lot so us. You know this, California, you got thirty million people, so you got a lot of people in this game, in this sport, in track and field.
Speaker 8: So for us to get to the Southern Section Division four finals.
Speaker 2: Which is the most competitive, your Southern Section wins most of the medals at the state meet, Southern Section dominates the state meet. Then this ain't you know, this is on a continuous basis. So you get to the state meet out of the Southern Section, you have your work cut out for you. This is the hardest in the state of California.
Speaker 3: It's you.
Speaker 8: It was unique about the State of California's that it ain't for one state chain.
Speaker 2: Ain't no divisional state winners. This one state champion in each event. One hundred, two hundred, four hundred. Texas can't say that, Florida can't say that. A lot of these states, all they do is have divisional state title winners, but not in California. You can win and you could be in the smaller school two hundred people or less in your school.
Speaker 8: And win the state title.
Speaker 2: That's how they do it out here in California, and so it's the most covenant.
Speaker 8: Award you can win because you are the state chat. They don't have.
Speaker 2: Look, football got different divisional state title. Basketball got different divisional title, but track got one. That's the difference. When the person tell you that the col from your state champion, they are one hundred percent the only state champion. That's how it is every year in track. So kudos to CIF.
Speaker 8: For holding that down for all these.
Speaker 2: Years and decades because we then interview when it comes back.
Speaker 8: But hey, I'm proud of your baby.
Speaker 2: I just want you to know and I'm taking any anyway even if she do on PR she was slow.
Speaker 8: Hey baby Gool, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 2: I love you, and I just want you to see the God in you, the gift in you, and.
Speaker 3: Be you.
Speaker 8: Love you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Malik's Bookshelf, where topics on the shelf are books, culture, and community. Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review. Check out my instagram at Malak Books. See you next time,