Speaker 1: It's just before midnight on February twenty eighth, twenty twenty six. The enhanced athletes are staying at a hotel in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. That's where they're spending the months leading up to the games training and taking their performance enhancing drugs. The first time the alarms go off, Megan Romano's up in her room with her girlfriend.
Speaker 2: It wasn't night when it started, like when shit hit the fan.
Speaker 3: It was definitely at night.
Speaker 2: You get like this alarm and it sounds like crazy loud.
Speaker 4: It's like Ray.
Speaker 1: Ray Ray Ben Proud and his girlfriend, Emily Barclay, she's also a swimmer with enhanced They just wrapped around in medical testing at a nearby hospital, just walked back into the hotel.
Speaker 5: Suddenly this really aggressive alarm goes off on off phone, and then two seconds later we hear these pops outside just outside a window, and we opened the curtains and there's these lines of smoke going up into this little ball of ball of smoke right in front of that window. So we checked the news and saw that UAE was you know, had been fired up by Iran.
Speaker 1: Earlier that day. The United States and Israel conducted their first round of military strikes against Iran. Hours later, Irun launched retaliatory missiles at various US allies in the Middle East.
Speaker 4: The Ministry of Defense of the UAE says the United Emirates was subjected today to a brazen attack with Iranian ballistic missiles.
Speaker 6: This is an unprecedented attack by Iran on what it says are US military targets across Gulf nations.
Speaker 5: So basically where I am when my hotel room is if you look out straight about ten out this way is the US Al Dafra base, which is where these rockets are heading to. And so we are literally just caught in the crossfires of whatever's going on. And then that's curious as we look out the window and we see these three rockets just launch from across the water here, and that sets the panic. And so at that point we get ourselves into bathroom, we hunker down for a bit, and we just ye, we let our bodies settle.
Speaker 2: I'm from Florida, so I've been through like crazy thunderstorms. It just sounds like the loudest thunder I think I've ever heard. We're like the windows were shat like shaking. It sounded like the missile like landed on my balcony.
Speaker 1: At least one of the enhanced athletes, Andregovov from Ukraine, he's got plenty of experience with war, so other athletes been included. They turn it him.
Speaker 5: We kind of stick Andre and we're just trusting what he says, and he kind of knows how to handle it.
Speaker 1: What was Andrea's like sort of advice to you.
Speaker 5: You know, finding the hard concrete walls and places away from windows, you know, no glass around you. He was basically scouting this hotel to find safe places. He was, you know, telling us to keep our passports in hand just in case of evacuations. And he gave us money, you know, just in case.
Speaker 1: Specifically, Andrea's handing out us dollars he knows in active war zones, as infrastructure collapses, digital transfers stop processing. Same goes for ATMs in situations like this, the more cash you got, the safer you are.
Speaker 2: I just hope it doesn't get worse, because like I'm getting woken up every night on the dot. I don't know what it is with Iran, but like they're like at four point thirty on the Dot and then like seven and the boom are getting louder. And that's the thing too, is like if we're on these enhancements, like it doesn't matter if we're on enhancements. If we're not getting proper sleep.
Speaker 1: From Kaleidoscope and iHeart podcasts, this is superhuman. I'm Chris guy Amali. A month before those first missile strikes, I visited the enhanced athletes in Abu Dhabi. They're staying at what used to be a recreational military base for the UAE Armed Forces. These days, it's a luxury hotel called Earth without the A. There's a big fancy gym, but the enhanced weightlifting team is working out in a small converted weighting area where weight stations are set up. I think they're listening to Bad Bunny right now. And for the swimmers, of course a pool. Andre and Ben are in the water yacking at the other side of the pool. Ben looks it's much bigger than last time. There's a huge fancy cafeteria here, also a private beach, paddle courts, and an enormous soccer pitch. The guy who designed Earth wanted it to resemble a falcon in flight, and weirdly, it absolutely does. Most of the Enhanced team was living and training there, just a twenty minute drive from the medical facility where the athletes got their drugs and were subsequently studied. One of the chief doctors overseeing the Enhanced study is doctor Guido Pilis, a cardiologist. He told me, because athletes using performance enhancing drugs are almost always doing so in secrecy, that means no doctors, no help determining the right dosages, no guidance on how long to use them. For what he and Enhanced are seeking. It's like the goldilocks of these particular drugs, the perfect dosage that delivers tangible results without the long term negative consequences. Why is this necessary, here's doctor Pelis.
Speaker 7: Firstly, it's because we have very little data. Although everyone has an opinion about enhancement and athletes, this is not fully backed up as signs, I have to say. But if you compare what we have in science to other areas, then we haven't done our homework. And that's why really welcome.
Speaker 1: I take his point. Why he'd want to actually study how steroids work on relatively healthy populations if there's a way to use them effectively and safely. We should know that, and if there is an effective dosage for healthy people, we should know what that is.
Speaker 7: Drug sit will be taken.
Speaker 1: What I keep thinking about, what about the athletes competing in the Enhanced Games who aren't participating in the study. As a rule, enhance isn't making anyone stick to a particular drug regimen, Nor are they testing for which drugs non participating athletes may have taken. So are the athletes who are outside of it? Are you guys testing them too for the stuff that's banned? No, we're not, Max Martin again, CEO of Enhanced.
Speaker 8: Look of the approaches. The law is the law, and adults are our adults, and within what the law is an adults should be able to take a decision for themselves and what they want and want not to do. We are not the law enforcement agency. So similarly to whether we could test them whether they are taking a substance like tremblone, where do you draw the line? Right, We are not going to test the athletes and whether they're taking cocaine, whether they're taking you know, whether they're smoking weed in a jurisdiction, whether they're not supposed to be smoking weed. That is the law enforcement job. That's not our job.
Speaker 1: There's something here that makes me feel I don't know nervous. Enhances working so hard to assure us that their studies the drugs are prescribing that it's all safe. But theoretically anyone competing in the games could be taking anything they want, whether or not they're participating in the study. Basically, enhances relying on an honor system.
Speaker 8: What we are looking to do is have the athletes disclose to us and represent to us that truthfully what they're taking, and then with testing them to figure out whether they're healthy and safe to compete so that there's no abuse of legal substances, right, because even if a substance is legal, you can still abuse it to make it unhealthy.
Speaker 1: Something you might be wondering, why is Abu Dhabi where enhancedent their athletes Anyway, I asked Max that very question to start. The laws and regulations about the drug part of all of this are a lot more laxed there compared to the US. Plus, according to Enhanced, Abu Dhabi is particularly interested in this specific study identifying the pros and cons of performance enhancing drugs. The UAE tends to do this, spend a lot of money on or host big, splashy sporting events. They own more than one pro soccer team, and they spend billions on huge turnout sports like UFC and Formula one. The general vibe of what Enhances up to totally in their bag of tricks. Labs of doctors are set up in Abu Dhabi to consult directly with athletes under their drug use and track whatever side effects they experience.
Speaker 8: We look at imagings of their brains, their organs, their heart, We do testing of their blood. They's aliva, the urine, and all of these things impact what kind of recommendation athletes gets for a protocols.
Speaker 1: Just a reminder the protocols, what enhance calls, each regimen for their athletes, everyone's specific cocktail of drugs. Max says. The point of collecting all this data is to help enhance, package safe, and affect the programs for everyone else. The people actually buy their performance enhancing drugs from them, and what specifically are the drugs Megan Ben and the rest of the Enhanced crew are using. That's a million dollar question, or maybe even the billion dollar question considering who Enhanced investors are to be sure. At first we were told no problem, we'd have total access to everything, the drugs, dosing, the types of needles, all of it. Over time though, they've gone bit more buttoned up. In fact, they've explicitly told the athletes they can't disclose what they're being given. What Max has said is they're not trying out anything new or experimental. Rather, they're working within the parameters of what's already considered a performance enhancing drug to figure out basically, what are the limits of what a person can take where the good the benefits outweigh the bad the side effects. He says, the drugs all fall into one of four main categories.
Speaker 8: One are anabolic steroids, which includes like testosterone. Then there are metabolgodulators, say for example, meldonium, which is a substance that helps you with your energy efficiency and improves your endurance. Then there are regulated peptides, so peptides that are already.
Speaker 1: Approved approved by the FDA he means, the Food and Drug Administration, not the ones that you.
Speaker 8: Know people are buying from China. And then last these stimulants like adoro and medefinite, etc.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a lot of drugs to help us wrap our heads around Max's four groups. My producer Sam calls up doctor Katie Rizzoni. She's in sports medicine and orthopedics, specifically focused on NCUBA athletes, so college athletes plus pro level and world champion athletes too. Max said, the first group of drugs are steroids, and so Sam starts with the basics.
Speaker 9: What is a steroid?
Speaker 6: Basically, a steroid is going to mimic hormonal pathways.
Speaker 7: In the body.
Speaker 1: Pretty quickly, the basics get a complicated, but doctor Rizzoni says, basically, it's lab made to sasterone.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: And what does it?
Speaker 9: What does it do to the the to the body.
Speaker 6: It's gonna make it easier to build muscle mass. Therefore you're going to be stronger. Were people using steroids in those days?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sure, some used them, some didn't use I mean it's very hot always did you take for example? Steroid use has historically been common in the bodybuilding community. Back in nineteen eighty five, Arnold Schwarzenegger was grilled about steroids on David Letterman.
Speaker 5: Did you ever use them yourself?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, in addition to making you stronger, doctor Riizoni says, steroid seem to quicken recovery.
Speaker 6: As an athlete, you could train longer and harder and that damage right. Anytime you train, you break muscle, you chair muscle, you break bone, and so it helps those to heal back faster.
Speaker 1: And with millions of dollars in sponsorships, salaries, and ticket sales on the line, the faster athletes swing back, the better. So that's drug group one. Drug two on Max's list metabolic modulators, basically drugs that change how your body makes, uses, or saves energy. Usually they're prescribed for people with heart problems or diabetes.
Speaker 6: So like athletes will give themselves insolent, like what a diabetic would you, because you're trying to get sugar or glucose into your cells so that your cells can have more fuel to do things.
Speaker 1: Another group on Max's list stimulants. These you probably.
Speaker 6: Know things like adderall retolin. Caffeine is a stimulant.
Speaker 1: Stimulants raise your heart and breathing rate. They make you feel more alert, more confident.
Speaker 6: You know, there's a reason that in the eighties there was a lot of athletes ahead of cocaine.
Speaker 4: Problem.
Speaker 6: It's a stimulant, you know, I mean it probably does enhance performance. It helps with attention, it helps with energy. You probably feel less pain. You're able to push through pain barriers, or you will probably push your mental barriers.
Speaker 1: Famous example soccer player Diego Maradona, who at the nineteen to eighty four World Cup tests a positive for, among other things, phaedrin.
Speaker 5: But subsequently was revealed to be a cocktail of five different fan substances.
Speaker 1: For what it's worth, Maradona denied it to the end.
Speaker 4: I have given fee for the opportunity to reconsider their decision because I believe it to be totally unjust. I have suffered a lot on my own and I promised my daughters I would not cry. I'm not crying.
Speaker 1: And finally, peptides, the kinds of peptides the athletes are using. They're supposed to help with recovery and hormone production. We think we don't really know what they do, Doctor Katie Rizzoni.
Speaker 6: Again, peptides are kind of like they're made up of amino acids. Amino Acids are like the building blocks of proteins. You need proteins to get stronger, you need proteins for recovery. Proteins are essential to high performance, so theoretically they could be filling in deficiencies that could help with overall performance and elite athletes when they are training. Then I think that's why people are interested in them, but we don't well, we haven't proven that yet.
Speaker 1: The thing about peptides, doctor Rizzoni says, they're still pretty new on the performance enhancing scene. They're easy to get, but what they actually do, we're still working that part out.
Speaker 6: They probably have influence on inflammation, cell recovery, you know, muscle masks, so I don't know if they'd necessarily proven then in humans yet, but those theoretically could.
Speaker 1: Be the benefits either way. Most peptides are banned in conventional sport, in part because using them seems unfair against the spirit of sport, as IOC and WATA often say, but also because we really don't know how safe they are. After the war breaks out, our communication with the enhanced athletes training in Abu Dhabi grows understandably sporadic. But what does that mean about how it's going over there. I'm picturing chaos conson alerts, the rumbles and booms of an in missiles.
Speaker 9: But after the initial shock wears off, things for Team Enhanced grow a bit well boring. Originally, the athlete's enhancement protocol was meant to last for about twelve weeks. Now that day keeps getting pushed back. No one knows exactly why, and the athletes are growing antsy. Something's up, Megan Romano again.
Speaker 2: And no one's really sure like what it is. We don't know if we're waiting on a signature. And I don't even think it's the missiles or the war that's like lagging. I think is Oh, you don't think so?
Speaker 3: That was my theory.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because before the war even started, we were still waiting on something, Like I don't know. There's just like a lot of parts that we don't know about that's happening behind the scenes.
Speaker 9: Megan says. The athletes keep thinking they're about to officially begin their drug protocols, but when that day comes, they just don't.
Speaker 2: So when they tell us now, like you're getting them on Friday, you're getting them on Monday, I don't even believe it. I'm like, okay, until like the needle's like end my ass, Like I don't believe shit.
Speaker 9: Later, in a press conference, CEO Max Martin says the delays are because of the war in part, but also he says there's just everyday bureaucracy stuff to deal with, too red tape for the athletes, though it feels like it's taking forever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with all the frustration that was going on in terms of delays and waiting and you know, uncertainty, we were so focused on those emotions rather than the emotions of what we're about to get into. So it kind of just it came as a big shock in terms of it came really quickly.
Speaker 1: On March twelve, about two weeks after those drone strikes you heard earlier in the episode, and just eight weeks before they needed to be back in the United States, the athletes find out that for real, this time, they're going to start the protocol. The next morning, it hit me like a train.
Speaker 5: I was like, shit, this is this is happening.
Speaker 1: Ben Prowd's feeling anxious. His girlfriend Emily is already asleep, which means it's probably too late to reach out to any of his other teammates too.
Speaker 5: And there was no one will wait for me to talk to. I just I called my brother and I was like, Oliver, I'm terrified.
Speaker 1: Oliver reminds him, it's okay. They've already talked this over, prepared for this exact feeling.
Speaker 5: You know, I was always going to feel like this. You know, to the world, I retired in September, tenth of September. But to me, I don't retire until take that injection. In reality, nothing has stopping me from turning back and going back to my normal life until I start the protocol, you know, until I inject myself as something that I'm not allowed to inject with.
Speaker 1: The athletes spend the next day in a waiting room at the hospital. One by one, they're caught up by name, taken to another room.
Speaker 5: You go in, and about ten minutes later you come back and you are an enhanced athlete. And so for every person who came back with I'd be like a big cheer and like, you know, congratations, like a big moment. Most of them were like buzzing and excited and like, you know, this is you know, officially enhanced. You know, that was the thing that everyone was saying.
Speaker 1: Ben, though he's not buzzing. For him, this moment is goodbye to his entire career in clean sport.
Speaker 5: You know, I just wanted to be, you know, not hanging my head in Shane. But I was like, I just I just want to be alone with Emily, and you know, I just want to Yeah, the emotions at the time, but just got the better of me.
Speaker 1: I want to stop here for a second and explain something. We don't actually know what any of the enhanced athletes are taking the details of their protocol. Sure, we know the four categories of drugs, but that's it. One of the reasons I went to Abu Dhabi in the first place was to spend time in the room where it happens. I wanted to be with the athletes when they found out the ingredients for their individual cocktails, the specific list of drugs. I wanted to see the injections, watch how it worked. And for months en Hans said, yeah, no problem. But just before I left, Enhance walked that back in an email there comms.
Speaker 9: The rector wrote, due to health privacy laws and ordinances in both the UAE and hipparegulations in the US, no journalist or camera is permitted in with athletes during their doctor consultations or if they choose enhancements. Sorry, that's entirely off limits.
Speaker 1: Later, the athletes were instructed by enhanced not to discuss any specifics with the press either. Megan says the new rules make it harder to talk about what drugs she's doing in Abu Dhabi. She wishes she could at least say the names of the drug she's taking.
Speaker 2: Not dosages, but at least like what we're taking, because it's just easier for us as athletes, because you know, that's what everyone wants to know. Of course, So I don't know at some point if we're going to be able to talk about it, but I guess like that kind of shifted recently, But.
Speaker 9: That doesn't stop us from asking anyway. Is it like going to be like an oral injected, like you know what, Like how are you going to have to take it?
Speaker 2: I feel like if I say it's going to give it away. One one is tour wait to are injected. One's a gel.
Speaker 5: I'm on about three different substances. One one has taken every single day. It's this injection which you do yourself. And typically I'll do that, you know, evenings, like after the school I'm going to do it, and it's very quick. It takes you know, two minutes to do the whole process. And then there's another injection, which we're gonna do once a week, which really stings. I really couldn't do it last week. I couldn't get a needle in. It's tiny, it's like a like an instant injection, but I just couldn't get it under my skin. I was sweating. My hands were like shining from sweat. I was so nervous. So what so scared. Once you get over the pinprick, you don't feel that at all, but the mind just plays tricks on you. When you have to look at this needle and look at it again, you kind of freak out a bit.
Speaker 1: A few weeks later, in April, Ben tells us he's already feeling the effects. What's the biggest change you've felt in your body since beginning the protocol? Has there been anything that surprised you.
Speaker 5: I think it's the the very sudden increase in muscle mass. So the first two weeks you're kind of just waiting, nothing's changing, And then we came back into the water, and then suddenly everyone's looking incredible, Like abs are popping, chests fall, like bicelets are big, and that came from very little work. You know, I have cut down significantly the amount of work I'm doing in the gym purely because I'm scared to get too muscly, and I reduced it once. Still saw a huge gain in muscle mass, and so I've reduced it again just to try and maintain the current stateum in. It makes things feel easier easy in training, However, there is a definite irritability, so the emotions are much higher. It's like you're angry, like like you're waiting for food and it's not coming. You're just like just agitated.
Speaker 1: The testing being done in this study it definitely scratches an itch, especially for someone like Ben who remember keeps some meticulous spreadsheets of data on his body, his times every day, how each part of his body performs compared to yesterday and the day before that. What kind of changes have you seen in your like physiology based on all this analysis that you're getting.
Speaker 5: I think I'm out to say so. My testosterone score has gone from about four hundred, four hundred and fifty to twelve hundred and ten, so it's almost tripled in a few weeks, and twelve hundred is the upper limit not upper limit. Upper threshold of what they see is the range.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, though, A big point of this study, according to Enhanced, is to try and collect good, real data on these exact side effects. And of course, it is true that this usage of performance enhancing drugs isn't very well studied. Most of what science and medicine understands about these drugs is based on studies done on p people who have already abused them. What Enhanced wants to know what happens when folks take those same drugs safely in controlled, moderated dosages. I'm going to take off my journalism hat for a second and replace it with my normal dude hat, because remember, I'm someone who takes performance enhancing drugs literally. I take stuff that Enhanced also sells on their website because I'm a busy dad who just wants to get through each day. Remember what Max Martin said about who these enhancements are meant for.
Speaker 3: Am I twenty five years old and I'm training for a marathon or a sixty five years old looking to have more energy to take my grandkids to the playground and play with them. Enhancements can have me achieve both.
Speaker 1: The thing is all any of us have in common with someone like Ben Proud is that we're all on performance enhancing drugs. That's it. Certainly none of us are elite athletes trying to break a world record.
Speaker 9: We ran enhanced study by six medical professionals, including a neurologist, general practitioners, and a sports medicine doctor. Their biggest concerns were about the independence of the study. Basically, they said, if enhanced can get rich selling the same drugs are studying, doesn't that jeopardize their research? How do we know they're not overlooking purposefully or not true red flags? And these particular test subjects some of the best athletes in the world, how representative can they really be of everyday consumers, people like me, Chris or the hypothetical twenty five year olds and sixty five year olds.
Speaker 7: You're gonna do steroids that you're gonna do one cycle, you're gonna like it.
Speaker 9: One doctor we spoke with Thomas O'Connor. He's most skeptical of enhance confidence and consumers that they'd actually take these drugs and moderation.
Speaker 6: I don't care if you're a top guy, your regular accountant guy running McDonald's I don't care what you are. You're gonna like it. You're gonna want to do more and more and more.
Speaker 4: You're never gonna do one cycle never doesn't work that way.
Speaker 9: Something else about doctor O'Connor, he has a history of abusing steroids himself, and he's very open about it, meaning he would know.
Speaker 8: What happens is men take steroids.
Speaker 4: They take a little bit, like they always say they're going to do this minimal dose.
Speaker 3: That's bullshit right there, that's one hundred percent bullshit.
Speaker 9: We want to hear from those men, those people themselves, the twenty five and sixty five year olds, the normy's already taking the kinds of drugs enhanced to selling. How prone are they at a planing it's safe. How much does safety factor into their decision making at all? That's next time on Superhuman.
Speaker 1: Superhuman is a Kaleidoscope production in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. The series is reported and co hosted by Sam Egan. Dina Mesizi's Medal is our senior producer. Production support from Dara Luk Potts, Edited by Kate Osborne, Editorial consulting by Adiza Egan. Original composition by Hannis Brown, mixing by Eric Maszi's Menal, reported and hosted by me Chris guy Amali from Kaleidoscope. Our executive producers are Kate Osborne, Ozwa Loshin, Mangeshati Kador and Kosislinos. Julia Nutter is the head of Studio for Kaleidoscope and From My Heart. Our executive produces are Katrina Norval and Nikki Etor. If you like what you're hearing, subscribe to the feed now so you don't miss our next drop.