Speaker 1: Hi gain everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan Horde and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast.
Speaker 1: The Hey.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm Still a love addition as the Bengals set the stage for a huge game next week against the Denver Broncos by beating Cleveland twenty four to six. Coming up radio replays, locker room comments and postgame analysis.
Speaker 1: From Dave Lapham.
Speaker 2: Then, in this week's Fun Facts Conversation, you'll get to know offensive lineman Devin Cochran. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber, future proof fiber Internet designed elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider.
Speaker 1: Of the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the gatest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since Joe Burrow's Christmas Gift. I don't know who started the tradition, but for many years NFL quarterbacks have rewarded the anonymous men who try to protect them from pass rushers by buying them expensive Christmas gifts. We're talking cars, Rolex's, shares of stock, just about anything you can imagine. Well, this year, Joe Burrow bought his offensive lineman something that none of them imagined. Burrow gave his offensive lineman authentic Japanese samurai swords. He put them all in a room and had each lineman pick one out based on a quick Internet search. Handmade samurai swords, known as katanas, can run more than twenty five thousand bucks apiece.
Speaker 1: Here's Joe.
Speaker 3: They wanted guns, and I was like, I don't know about guns, guys, And so I was in the weapon mindset and.
Speaker 1: I was Michael, what's cool?
Speaker 4: Weapon?
Speaker 1: SAMAI swords I think are pretty dank cool.
Speaker 3: And Nicole she works for me and she was able to go and find them for me. So she did a great job finding the best ones out there.
Speaker 1: So I think guys were excited about it.
Speaker 2: Would I rather have a new car or a Rolex maybe, but giving out authentic samurai swords is about as unique as the quarterback himself. Now, time for the radio replays from Sunday's win over Cleveland. It is a bitterly cold December afternoon here in Cincinnati as we get set for the one hundred and third Battle of Ohio. It's the Bengals versus the Cleveland Browns in a game the Bengals must win to keep their playoff hopes alive.
Speaker 1: First and goal inside the one.
Speaker 2: They handed off to Deontay Foreman Shaka Hayward grabbed him near the one, but couldn't bring them down shy of the goal line. It's a touchdown for the Cleveland Browns. The Bengals say they have the ball, but an official made the touchdown signal. Well, the Cleveland Browns just Cleveland Browned, at least for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: They had it.
Speaker 2: First down and goal inside the one. Deontay Foreman, at two hundred and thirty five pounds, had the ball in his right hand as he was going toward the goal line. Von Bell, with a right hand cross punched it out, then recovered it and although one official said it was a touchdown, when they looked at the replay, the ball was clearly out and the Bengals takeover at their own one yard line. Amazing first down and goal from the two. The ball is on the left. Hash Burrow in the shotgun back at the eight, chase Brown to his left. Yosi Bosch goes in motion, now goes back in the original direction. Burrow steps up, throws and it's caught for the touchdown. Te Higgins with the catch. He tosses the ball way up into the air like a geyser. Burrow is being pulled down and just flung it forward for the touchdown.
Speaker 1: Chase out wide to the right.
Speaker 2: Yo Si Bosh in the slot to the right, Burrow catches the shotgun snap drops back to the fifteen fires caught in the middle of the end zone by Yo Sibosh for the Bengals touchdowns.
Speaker 5: Nice spike.
Speaker 4: Yoshi got some good verdic catalie off of that spike and a high high percentage of this guy's catchers are red zone touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Kye York is ready from the Bengals logo in the middle of the field the snap the placement here comes the fifty nine yard try. It is good whoo mate Cade York ties the Bengals franchise record with a fifty.
Speaker 5: Nine yard field goal.
Speaker 2: Has The half comes to an end when the Bengals leading seventeen nothing, second in goal from the four. They hand it off to Jerome Ford again and he will waltz into the end zone for a Cleveland Browns touchdown. Third down and six from the Cincinnati eight. A big play here with the Bengals up by eleven. Shotgun snap Thompson Robinson lobbs went into the end zone, intercepted by Jordan Battle.
Speaker 5: He'll take a knee in the end zone.
Speaker 2: Chino Stone putting pressure on the quarterback, leading to the end zone pick for Jordan Battle.
Speaker 4: And what a terrible throw, what a terrible decision. I mean, now you got two red zone turnovers. You have a fumble at the one yard line, and as he's delivering the football, I mean he gets hit and just really, I mean, just just throw it away. Don't try to throw it into the end zone to score. Bengals will take it though two red zone takeaways, third.
Speaker 5: Down and five.
Speaker 2: Shotgun snap Thompson Robinson, under pressure, begins running right, he looks, he lobs it downfield and it is intercepted on a ricochet by Geno Stone. The third game in a row where Geno Stone has come away with a pick Djivy deflected it. The pass was intended for Najoku and Geno Stone has an it for the third game in a row, Cincinnati seventeen, Cleveland six, and on fourth and twenty seven, the Browns have to go for it. They snap at the Thompson Robinson begins scrambling right, throws incomplete at midfield, and that is coffin nails.
Speaker 6: Bam bam bam.
Speaker 2: Burrow in the gun. It's a long count for Joe got it. Got the Browns to go off side. This is a free play. Throws a deep ball for Chase in the end zone. Jamar's dot it touchdown penalty. Bengals aw that tullet offside.
Speaker 1: Call it.
Speaker 6: The Flagger's thrown.
Speaker 2: Jamar Chase with his sixteenth touchdown catch.
Speaker 5: Of the year. He is the NFL leader in that category.
Speaker 1: Defensive number ninety five. That penalty has declined.
Speaker 2: The result of the play is a touchdown and Jamar is now just one touchdown catch away from tying Carl Pickens single season Bengals record of seventeen touchdown grab man.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you you got Cameron Mitchell is just cooked, and Joe Burrow says, I'm just going to get that out there.
Speaker 6: Let Jamar Chase.
Speaker 4: Do his thing, and he got Miles Garrett.
Speaker 1: To jump Browning in the game.
Speaker 2: He'll take the direct snap and take a knee to run out the final twenty two seconds. Jake puts his left knee on the field turf and the celebration begins. The Bengals have won three straight, they have pulled within a game of five hundred, and most importantly, they have set up a game next Saturday here at pay Corpse Stadium with gigantic stakes and huge playoff implications, as the Bengals will host the Denver Broncos, the team they are chasing for the final playoff spot in the AFC. So after being zero to three and four and eight, the Bengals are seven and eight with two games left and still have a shot at making it to the playoffs. Here are Zach Taylor, Joe Burrow, and Jamar Chase.
Speaker 7: This is what it's supposed to feel like for us, you know, this is our expectation, and we just put ourselves in a position to now play some really meaningful games. And in this we didn't want to talk about what was coming up. We wanted to get through. I know how much I respect that that team we played today and what they can do to you, and you had a play the right way, and I thought our guys did. I thought they felt great about the prep all week, felt great about guys being locked in and focused during the game, found a way to get the win, and now we can turn our focus to a short week in the Denver Broncost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels good to playing big games. That's why we do what we do.
Speaker 6: That's why we work so hard.
Speaker 3: You know, everything that I do in the off season is to put myself in the best position to play great at the end of the year in these big games coming up. So that's it's exciting to be still be in it. Guys work really hard, coaches work really hard, so it's nice to rattle off a couple wins here.
Speaker 8: I feel like we already the most dangerous team, you know what I'm saying, And people fear us, you know what I'm saying. But it's gonna come down to just making it, making that one play on offense and defense and just finishing at the end of the game. So as long as who staying in it as a unit, you know, we'll be.
Speaker 2: All right more on the updated playoff picture. In just to bet, first, some offensive numbers, Joe Burrow through for two hundred and fifty two yards with three touchdowns, no picks, and a passer rating of one thirty four point three, his second best of the year. Burrow leads the NFL in passing yards with one hundred thirty four more than Jared Goff. He leads in touchdown passes with thirty nine. That's two more than Lamar Jackson, and Joe has now thrown at least three touchdown passes in seven consecutive games since the NFL AFL merger in nineteen seventy. The only quarterbacks with streaks that long are Tom Brady with ten, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning with eight, and Dan Marino like Burrow, with seven. Jamar Chase had six catches for ninety seven yards in a touchdown and continues to lead in the Triple Crown receiving categories. He has one hundred eight catches to lead Amen Ross, Saint Brown and Brock Bauers by seven. A Bengals single season record of one thy five hundred ten yards that's one hundred twenty three more than Justin Jefferson and his sixty touchdown catches are four more than the next best guy, Terry McLaurin. Then there's Chase Brown, who had one hundred and nine combined rushing and receiving yards to top the century mark for the fifth straight game. He spoke to Dave Lapham in the locker.
Speaker 4: Room, Chase Brown getting it done again. Eighteen carries, ninety one yards. I think it was eighteen more receiving on a few catch one hundred and ten yard scrimmage yards. I mean, you're automatic, man, I mean just check the box on hundred scrimmag yards plus every game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm just doing my job right now. Offenses executing and that's all you can ask for is so focus on the Broncos right now. It's really one game season right now. So everything kind of rests on this short week that we have coming up.
Speaker 2: So a lot of work, a lot of focus, a lot of.
Speaker 9: Getting our bodies back and you know, going out there on Saturday and being the best team.
Speaker 4: The last time the Bengals swept the Cleveland Browns was twenty seventeen. Nothing to take lightly to sweep the Cleveland Browns in the Battle of Ohio.
Speaker 5: Right, No, nothing like it.
Speaker 9: I mean we're a great team, so we're just gonna keep on going.
Speaker 4: So what do you think, I mean, what was your plan of attack? Unusual in a football game for both teams to have a turnover inside the one yard line. I mean, you don't see that in the low low red zone very often.
Speaker 9: Do you really don't, You really don't. I Mean that's defense right there. You know, when the offense had them on their heels a little bit, they responded. So that's all you can ask for.
Speaker 4: So when you were running the football today, what was the best thing that you had going for you? I mean you were hit you always hit it between the tackles so well, but you were doing some stuff in the perimeter as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean we were getting up to the second level really quick and get some movement. So that's all I can ask for the old line and you know, I can do the restaurant there. So we had that ruling for us and some explosive plays. So we'll watch the tape get better and hopefully bring that.
Speaker 1: In next week.
Speaker 4: Seven straight games, Joe Burrow has three touchdown passes. I mean, you're talking about guys like Tom Brady who did it in ten games. Peyton Manning, who did it in eight straight games. I mean, he's in some high content right there. I think he's one of five quarterbacks to ever do that.
Speaker 9: He's a really good quarterback, so he deserves all that, man, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, he should be up there with those guys.
Speaker 9: And when you hear Joe Burrow and Tom Brady, it's I'm not surprised.
Speaker 4: So your defense to hold the Cleveland Browns to six points, how big?
Speaker 5: Was that huge?
Speaker 9: I mean, especially when they're getting though chances to get back on the field like that. That's all we need, especially with all explosive our offenses. We just need opportunities and drives. Until we get those drives started, we're a hard team to beat.
Speaker 4: Great effort once again today. Appreciate your what you did out in the football field. Appreciate you allowing us to catch up with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Brown now has nine hundred twenty three rushing yards with two games to go. Defensively, the Bengals held the Browns to six points and two hundred and seventy three yards, the fewest points the Bengals have allowed and the second fewest yards. They had five sacks, ten quarterback hits, forced two fumbles and came away with two interceptions, including Geno Stones fourth.
Speaker 1: Of the year.
Speaker 2: I caught up with him after the game. Gino, that's three straight games with an interception. Got an assist on this one from dj Ivy described the play.
Speaker 6: No, it was kind of just cover one.
Speaker 10: Me playing a post and scrambled with guy you know, dtar stars scramble around, joking, went upfield and DJ Meta great playing, took the ball and I got it.
Speaker 2: Described the job you guys did against Dorian Thompson Robinson basically taking away anything downfield.
Speaker 6: Now, I thought we did a great job.
Speaker 10: Russian covers working together, he said ear in the weekday even try to use his legs. I felt like the front did a really good job of containing him most as they can, and us in the back end is you know, plastard and you know, had great covers in the back in much we can and beside the first play, that first play the game I played, we did a pretty good job.
Speaker 2: Though. How big was von els play to snuff their opening drive?
Speaker 10: Now, it's huge, it's huge, you know, I feel like we got altimate mentum back after that they kind of had met him going at first, and then we kind of took away from there.
Speaker 6: Everybody played by one.
Speaker 2: Three straight games with a pick. Second time in your career you've done that. How do you feel about your comfort level in this defense right now?
Speaker 10: No, I feel comfortable as all. Honestly, I feel great. You know, I'm happy we're winning, so it's always a great thing.
Speaker 2: You've set up a game with huge stakes next week against Denver.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, you know, if you can handle it next week. You know they got a really good team coming in, so you know, he's gotta have short weeks, so he's got Our body's ready to get ready to go next week.
Speaker 1: You had the pick.
Speaker 2: Uh, there was another pick by Jordan Battle in the end zone. Six takeaways last week. This defense is making the type of plays that swing games.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I feel like we're doing at the right time. You know, it's great to play a meaningful game next week in December, something we've been asking for. So you know, at the end of the day, we got we gotta do our job and then let the rest hand.
Speaker 6: It was open and.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget about special teams. Ryan Rico averaged more than fifty one yards of punt and cade York joined Money Mack in the Bengals record book. Here's my conversation with the Bengals kicker the title franchise record Kate a fifty nine yard field goal just before the half. Did you know that Evin McPherson's record was fifty nine.
Speaker 11: No, I had no clue, and I'm almost kind of happy I didn't take that from him. That would stake for just being there for a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the circumstances were interesting.
Speaker 2: Had the Browns called a time out with about forty eight seconds to go, I think the Bengals probably would have punted, but they let it run down, right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I would assume so. And it was cold out so and none of us hit from that deep. I think the first I hit that way was fifty seven warming up, and it barely went in because it was just cold and the ball wasn't flying too well. So I just think they assume no one was gonna kick it, but with only five seconds left, might as well take a shot out of it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: My analyst Dave Lapham said, a fifty nine yard or under these conditions, it's like a sixty five yarder because the ball just doesn't carry like it would on a nice norm day.
Speaker 11: No, definitely, not especially like one Like k balls are brand new that day, so all you get is to scrape them and rub them down for forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: For the game.
Speaker 11: So yeah, it's a lot of things combined into making it. That's why you see some guys can hit eighty yarders at practice because they're kicking a ball that's two years old and not brand new. So there's a lot of things.
Speaker 1: I went to it.
Speaker 11: I did hit it really really well. Once I hated, I turned back and like celebrated it, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, wait a second.
Speaker 6: The ball is like halfway there, and.
Speaker 11: I'm like, oh, it's I forgot how cold it was. That ball doesn't look like it's flying as far.
Speaker 1: As it should.
Speaker 11: But luckily I don't know how much it had, but at least a yard or two.
Speaker 1: So it worked out.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants the video of the premature celebration on a field and then.
Speaker 11: Like, oh, it's just like donks right back at you. Yeah, no, it worked out.
Speaker 1: Though we're visiting with Kid York.
Speaker 2: Any extra feeling from doing it against your former.
Speaker 11: Team, The only extra feeling I wouldn't say coming into the game, there was that much, but they were yelling at me a lot very field goal, so I definitely like that felt nice. I think it was my mood. Diabaate was telling me I didn't have the leg for it right before, like yelling.
Speaker 10: It at me.
Speaker 1: So did you yell back?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I just hope you hear this though we cannot email it to him.
Speaker 2: How has this stint been for you, this opportunity with the Bengals to show what you can do to the entire NFL.
Speaker 11: It's been great. I love my time here. The guys are great. I love to spend time with Evan, I Leve's spend sound Ryan and cow and Darren obviously has such a great history of just being here for so long and there's a reason for that. And I love guys that know what they're talking about, and he definitely knows what he's talking about. So I'm just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible and just put a few balls to the upreights.
Speaker 1: Your name's in the Bengals record book. Congrats.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 1: That's Kate York.
Speaker 2: So the Bengals did what they needed to do, but they did not get any help in the playoff chase as Indianapolis beat Tennessee and Miami beat San Francisco. So here's what needs to happen for the Bengals to make the playoffs. They need to win their last two games against Denver and Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: They need the.
Speaker 2: Broncos to lose their last two games at Cincinnati and at home against Kansas City. Plus Miami has to lose at least once with road games at Cleveland and at the Jets. Here's hoping for frigid weather in the Northeast, and the Colts also have to lose at least one either at the Giants or at home against Jacksonville. Now let's hear what Zach Taylor had to say as he spent a few minutes with Lap after the game.
Speaker 4: So here we are with Bengals head coach Zach Taylor. Heck of a football game today. I mean all phases. What about your defense holding them to six points?
Speaker 7: I was standing, you know, our defense, Roy gave us a chance to play the game. We wanted to play on offense where they didn't have many advantages to be able to pin their ears back outside of a couple.
Speaker 5: Of drives, and so just just roy out of the way. Those guys created turnovers.
Speaker 7: Got red zone stops, and give us a chance to play it the way you wanted to play it.
Speaker 4: I don't think I can remember a game where both teams had a red zone turnover inside the one yard line. I mean both both teams had that happen to them. I mean, that's a that's a crazy thing. I guess if you, like we always talk about, you watch enough football, you're going to see everything.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 7: I guess, so you know, and it's, uh, that's fifty percent happy with those outcomes. But obviously we're gonna do a great job protecting the ball when we're down there. I thought Von died an excellent job coming out the punching it out and recovering it for us. That was a huge moe minium change early in the game and a lot of us to gain control from the onset.
Speaker 4: And did you ever you go ninety nine yards and put a touchdown on the board. I mean, you talk about compmentary football. The defense, you know, backs against the wall, you can't get much further against the wall, and they make a play and then you guys reward them with.
Speaker 6: A ninety nine yard touchdown drive.
Speaker 2: That's huge.
Speaker 7: It's complimentary football. You know, you just took it to breath after the first play of the game. Defense bowed up, got us the ball back, and then offense goes now.
Speaker 5: And so that what a great way to start, put.
Speaker 7: Them in a hole and kind of take some of the life out of them and able to build a seventeen nothing lead in the first half.
Speaker 4: You know, you made mention of they had the one sixty six yard run, but the rest they had nineteen plays in the first half eighty six net yards. They had the sixty six yard run, then the other eighteen plays they accumulate twenty yards. He had four tackles for loss four on the last four possessions, two sacks to two tackles for loss, I mean twenty yards on eighteen snaps. I mean they were I think three maybe four at least three consecutives three and outs and putting the football back to you.
Speaker 7: So outs standing, they had control of the game, put pressure on the quarterback, a young quarterback, so he could never feel comfortable, and then they could establish the run. So I think, you know, as of those the plays you mentioned, so really proud of the effort, the communication, the job that they did on defense.
Speaker 4: So Joe Burrow three touchdown passes in his seventh straight game. You know, he's in company who got like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. I mean it's a Hall of fame. Tom Brady did in ten straight games. I think Peyton Manning did it in eight. And in Joe's right there. He's on the list. I think he's one of five. Not only does he play really well, it's every week. I mean, his consistency is crazy, isn't it it is?
Speaker 5: You know he's Yeah, every week he showed up.
Speaker 7: He's been consistent and that's that's every game I think he's ever been here. So really proud of him, really proud of the guys around him. And he's made some spectacular plays that you can't really describe.
Speaker 4: Rico average fifty one yards of punt and he had that one that flipped the field for you at a very opportune time. So you mentioned conpanary football, offense, defense and special teams did a job for you tonight.
Speaker 7: Didn't thought the coverage units were great, you know, the gunners getting down there and making them uncomfortable and reco doing an excellent job of flipping the field for us in some key moments.
Speaker 4: Jumee Schwartz gets a lot of talk about what he does as a defensive quarter. You've got one as well in LEU inner room. And I thought on first and second down he was he was bringing all kinds of stuff. And I mean it was third and thirteen, third and eleven, third and sixteen, and then on third down, you know, he plays some coverage and say, all right, you know, go ahead, try to try to We're not gonna let you convert. We're gonna keep everything in front of us. I thought his game plan was outstanding. I thought his players really executed it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, great plan, guys believed in It really fun to watch, you know, especially when you get some stops like they did, then your confidence sky rockets and you're able to take it to another level.
Speaker 5: I thought I saw that today.
Speaker 4: So Jamar Chase continues to rewrite the record book. I mean, he has almost one hundred yards receiving, he has another touchdown catch. He's got sixteen to those, one away from the club record that I thought nobody had ever touched. Honestly, Carl Pickens with was seventeen of them. But Chase Brown as well, continues to I mean, he gives you another one hundred and ten scrimmage yards, and it seems like every week you can put him in the book for over one hundred scrimmag yards.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, and he's so close to breaking a big one, you know, And that's just that's part of his game right now. And so he's he'e somebody we can lean on and get the ball to a lot of different ways. He's explosive and again he's due for a really big one as well.
Speaker 4: So coach, finally, I know you haven't studied the Denver Broncos, but what's your what'd you tell the team about here comes Denver?
Speaker 1: As it too early to even go there.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, now we know how important this game is.
Speaker 7: We gave ourselves a chance to play for something that's meaningful, you know, and we know what goes into this game. We got to win to stay alive and take this thing into the last week of the season with a chance. And so you get a chance just to focus on this team. We don't care about what happens in any of other games. We care about what happens in the Denver game. We got six days to get it right. It'll be a little funky schedule with Christmas, but our guys are committed to getting this done the right way.
Speaker 4: Congratulations coach, appreciate your time.
Speaker 5: Thanks Sae.
Speaker 2: Up next a four to thirty home game next Saturday against the nine and six Denver Broncos. If the Bengals win, the final week of the season is going to be very exciting. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider.
Speaker 1: Of the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Now time for the radio guys recap, well lapped. The next to last game of the regular season just got a lot bigger. They're going to be major playoff implications next week thanks to a they had to have it victory today over the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no question. I mean, you gotta win them one at a time. When they put themselves in the positions they put themselves in, you know, you just are so frustrated when you think back to the way the opener went with the with the Norton Patriots, and to go one and four and being close games that they've been in, I mean, and the whole thing. It's like, you reflect back, it's a play here and play here there. But I mean, defensively, I thought it was the best game of the year by far. Two hundred and seventy three yards offensively, holding to four point three yards per play, Cleveland held the Bengals offense to four point two yards per play up in Cleveland Bengals reverse, it held them to four point three yards per snap. I mean, that's that's pretty pretty good. And they obviously suffocated the passing attack. I mean, it was it was it was tough duty out there. Won the turnover battle handily, as they only had one turnover in eight quarters against Cleveland, and they won that part of it. And that's Cleveland's biggest problem. They come into the game minus sixteen third down. You know, they came in at twenty eight percent, the Bengals holding the twenty five percent, So you add fourth down into it where they go one for three. They were four fifteen on third and fourth down. That's that's pretty good. And the reason is early on they got them in third and eleven, third and fourteen, third and sixteen, third and sixteen again, I mean lou Anon Rumo's game plan on first and second down, pressure packages, get them off schedule, tackle for lost sack or whatever, and then third down play more coverage, you know, rush rush four, drop seven into coverage, rush three, drop eight into coverage. I thought it was, you know, a really really sound game plan against an inexperienced quarterback, and the players executed it really well.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the big play that Von Bell made on the opening drive. Vaughn has lost his starting job to Jordan Battle. He's a proud VET who's had a great career, a huge reason why the Bengals went to the Super Bowl in twenty twenty one. He makes that play, he's out there on special teams. I've got a lot of admiration for what he's doing right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think the respect that his teammates have for him has increased. And that's a huge play that he made. And how about the offense. Okay, we'll play companenty football. Let's go ninety nine for a touchdown. You don't see that happened very often. And then later in the game, the Bengals offense turns it over inside the one yard line. I can't remember the last time at any level of football I saw both offenses turn it over in the lowest of low red zones. I mean, there were a lot of crazy things that happened in this football game, and that was one of my von Bell made a huge play to get things, you know, turned around again because I mean Ford bust Dets sixty six yard run. Thought, oh boy, you know they get on the board first. You know, could give him a real boost in the arm and all that sort of thing. But that was massive. To have the takeaway and then go the length of the football field virtually, you can't go any longer than they went. To take a seven to nothing lead and score first, I thought was big.
Speaker 2: And that first touchdown comes on a face plant touchdown pass from Burrow to Higgins. We've reached the point now where Joe is actually entertaining himself. I mean the jump pass touchdown against the Steelers. Now this one, he's falling flat in his face and he somehow manages to fling it into the end zone to t Higgins. Patrick Mahomes has you know, earned a lot of plaudits for some of the crazy things he's done. In addition to the great normal play Joe has made this year. Now he's adding these crazy ones.
Speaker 4: And you know he is any kind of quarterback guru that is coaching young quarterbacks. Talk about platform you know, the right foot and has to have a foundation with that right foot, transfer your weight to your left foot, you know, throw, take the stride, throw the football. You know, it has to be proper mechanics. I mean Joe is platformless, you know. I mean he can throw off his front foot, throw off his back foot, throw off no feet. You know, he leaves his feet, jump passes, or leaves his feet because he tripped on a teammate and is going to the ground. But the thing about him is like he saw saw an opportunity before he actually tripped on Ted's foot and then kept his head up you know enough where he delivered an accurate football. So I think that's the biggest thing with him is his overall awareness of the game. I mean, every single thing about the game of football. Joe Burrow has basically achieved at.
Speaker 6: A high level.
Speaker 4: He understands what he has to do, his protocols to get there. He just understands every single nuance, every single thing that you need to understand to be an unbelievable quarterback.
Speaker 6: He has it all.
Speaker 2: You've had a great comment during the broadcast. I thought about how good he's become when he's running straight ahead, often at high speed, and delivering throws in perfect locations under those circumstances. I'm going to used to seeing guys go left and right making throws on the run, but he's now mastered that. Sprinting forward and delivering bebies and accurately.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the thing. A lot of guys they'll go on the ground, or they'll sail or whatever. I mean, you know, he has that part of the down. He is so he has such great body control. He is and knows exactly where every body part is. And it's how it relates to what he wants to get done. I mean, he is. It's unbelievable how he releases the football from the same place, you know, different platforms, different uh. I mean, he just creates ways to get rid of the football, but he always gets rid of the football at a perfect spot. I mean his release is the same, he'll change the same. He'll he'll released out of his hand the same way. That doesn't change, but he'll he'll change the launch point. I mean he'll change the release angle arm angle kind of thing. And of course you know he changes the launch point all the time. Climb the pocket, out of pocket, climb the pocket and reverse go back backward in the pocket, I mean, side to side in the pocket. He is he's one of one. I mean, honestly, to have a guy with his movement skills. And again, when he's moving, you know, like DTR is moving and he will he'll looking down the field trying to make a play. But Joe, I mean DTR is looking where can I run next? Joe is always down the football field. He is always seeing how things are run full, how how his teammates are improvising. And it is like we said before, you know, his vision is three sixty. You know, it's his his peripheral is like it, like he has eyes on the side in the back of his head.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be interesting to know if that's been measured, if he has freakishly good peripheral vision. I mean, if whatever degrees. The normal human being can see way off to their left and way off to the right. I wonder if he sees more degrees than the rest.
Speaker 6: Of us, and he has.
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of quarterbacks, the great ones, have a clock in their head and you know they'll count the second. Joe Burrow has a clock that goes to the hundredth second. It's not just he's just not counting down seconds. I mean it's like, how the hell did you know to do that exactly? Then you know, it's like, jeez, he's uh. He continues to amaze. I mean, every single week he's going to do something. It's like, what, man, I never saw that before. I can't believe he did that. I mean he is must see viewing or listening on a weekly basis.
Speaker 2: So they've won three straight. The defense has played pretty well in those games, but the starting quarterbacks in those games have been Cooper Rush and whoever started for the Titans last week. I'm drawing a break well Levis and Dorian Thompson Robinson today. So how much is it The Bengals defense is improving and the young guys are taking positive steps forward, and how much is it all?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: They've managed to cobble together three good games against quarterbacks that weren't great.
Speaker 4: I think we'll find out next week. I mean, Bo Nix is a young guy in the NFL, but he's got sixty one college starts. I mean he's not immature. I mean he's an older guy. He's a mature guy. I think his teammates probably feel like, shoot, he's already a five year vet, you know, when they're thinking about this guy. I think his coaches think the same way. I mean, I don't think there's anything that they can't We can't go there with him. He can't handle that. He can't handle that mentally or physically. He's a very a very accomplished guy. But you know, I don't think that he can do the things for his football team that Joe Burrow can do for the Cincinnati Bengals quite yet. But it is going to be interesting because I think based on today, with a young quarterback, you think that lou Anrumo may still do some of the pressure packages and you know, the fake pressure packages and all that that he was doing to get in DTR's head. Can he do it with Bo Nicks And what will vance Joseph do and there's a guy with his doctorate in all that stuff, and how much of that will he do with Joe Burrow or will he feel man, you know, if it doesn't get there, I'm totally exposed. He's going to have too many explosives. You know, I'm going to have to kind of, you know, modify it a little bit, or not quite do as much of it, or you know, whatever the case may be. It's going to be interesting to see how these guys game plan and how during the course of the the game, you know, the circumstances taking place in unfolding during the course of the game changed their approach and thought to what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Sounded like you're optimistic that Orlando Brown Junior will be back.
Speaker 4: I'd be shocked if he isn't, particularly now with Mims hurting a little bit. I think, you know, knowing Orlando Brown and how much playing means to him, I think if if he can do it at all, he's gonna go out there and do it. Because against this team, number one in the league in sacks, I believe, number one in the league in defense, uh you know, number number one or number two points allowed. I mean this this defensive football team is top five and top three in a bunch of significant categories. So to have both of your your big stud offensive tackles down. And what about the offensive tackle position. I mean, during the course of the year, you lose Brown, you know, first Brown, then now Orlando is struggling, and now you know Mims is struggling physically, man the offensive tackle position for the Cincinnati Bengals this season has been the injury Guds just said, did al shalt have issues at offensive tackle?
Speaker 2: That puts a rap on the Cleveland when Now it's time for this week's fun fact segment where you get to know the person under the pads. Time for some fun facts with offensive lineman Devin Cochrane. You are from the Atlanta area. Tell me more specifically about where you grew up and what you like about your hometown.
Speaker 12: For sure, moved all around. Initially in Southwest Atlanta. We end up moving to Northeast Atlanta, where I kind of went from elementary school up to middle school. I was in private school, so it wasn't really a district deal. And then we ended up moving to Lilburn by Stone Mountain, Georgia.
Speaker 2: Your mom is a college professor. Correct, Yes, where does she teach and what does she teach?
Speaker 12: Right now? She's been doing a lot of online classes, but she's taught at many places Spellman, She's taught at Georgia State Perimeter, and she's a sociology teacher.
Speaker 6: She has our PhD in sociology.
Speaker 2: Did you have strict rules about grades before being able to play sports and things like that as a kid, Not.
Speaker 12: Really before playing sports, but if my grades ever slipped, I was definitely hearing about it, and my mom was very, very present in the PTA or PTO, whatever it is, going to school and making sure that was getting my work done.
Speaker 2: Visiting with Devin Cochran, were you involved in any activities outside of sports?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? Yeah.
Speaker 12: Before I really got into sports, I played piano for nine years. I played upright bass for four or five years, guitar for a few years, chess, club basketball, besides football and track and field, a little throwing.
Speaker 2: So if you see a piano in a hotel lobby, can you sit down and bang something out?
Speaker 12: I really can, but it won't be good. I'd have to practice, And to be honest with you, you know, with the whole football thing and the hands, you know, I mean an o linement. It's really actually restricted me from being able to play all the instruments I like to play.
Speaker 2: That's unfortunate. One of the unfortunate whist of the trade.
Speaker 6: You have to make a choice. I chose. I remember my high school.
Speaker 12: Football coach told me in ninth or tenth grade, because we had an orchestra field trip. He told me, you have to make a choice. And because it was either orchestra field trip or I think a scrimmage, and I chose football, and that was it.
Speaker 2: We're chatting with Devin cochrane. You're a big band six seven three thirty a wing span of more than seven feet. Did you always tower over the other kids?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, mostly?
Speaker 12: I think maybe in third grade there was a kid who was taller than me then, but the last time I saw him, I was I was much taller than him and everybody else.
Speaker 1: So you caught up and passed them.
Speaker 2: When it came time to choose a college, you picked Vanderbilt over some traditional football powers. Why Vandy?
Speaker 12: I had a really good relationship with Derek Mason, And then also we took a trip to Nashville.
Speaker 6: It was about four We went up in a snowstorm.
Speaker 12: Actually it was about four and a half hours away from Atlanta, and I was content with everything.
Speaker 6: I loved the school.
Speaker 12: Some of the guys there took me into the Jared Southers, Bailey Grind, a bunch of guys just I think the culture was what really brought me to it the most. And then some guys like the recruiting process. Others don't the attention, and I think it was more so trying to learn about every single school because I'm very thorough. So you know, if I wasn't able to do that with every school, then there's really no point in doing it.
Speaker 2: So you did not enjoy the process.
Speaker 12: Recruiting, No, not as much so.
Speaker 2: One of the most memorable moments of this college football season was Vandy beating Alabama and the fans tearing down the goalposts and dropping it into the Cumberland River. Were you able to watch the game?
Speaker 12: I watched the entire game. I was screaming the entire time. I was calling all my old teammates, and you know, being at Georgia Tech, a newly found Georgia Tech guy, I couldn't do anything but root.
Speaker 6: For Vanderbilt because you always want to see those guys go now. You know.
Speaker 2: So you did finish your college career at Georgia Tech after spending the first four years at Vandy. Was it great for you to experience something else?
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 12: One of the biggest I think reasons for the change was just the coach that they had there, Brent Key. He was an offensive line coach at Alabama, coached a lot of greats, Cam Robinson and a lot of other guys, and that experience was I think where I was really able to hone in my craft and realize what it was that I didn't have. And ever since then, I've been trying to, you know, repair all of those I think some of the tendencies and some of the things that I still find in myself doing that hinder my game.
Speaker 2: So after your season at Georgia Tech, it was draft time. The Bengals brought you here for a pre draft visit. What do you remember about that.
Speaker 12: I remember trying to walk to a CVS and the CVS was closed. I think it was a Sunday, I'm kidding, man. I remember meeting Pollack, I remember seeing Deontay Smith downstairs. Deontay I played with an Elite Junior Classic game in high school and that was I think he was one of the first people I saw when I walked in. So it was like, as soon as I come in, familiar face right there. And then from then on it was just you know, kind of meeting with different people. And I mean ever since, it's just been history. You know, I've been here now three years from then?
Speaker 2: Why did you elect to sign with Cincinnati?
Speaker 6: I did I sign with Cincinnati?
Speaker 12: I mean it was quick, you know how like as soon as the process is over, you know, you get your phone calls, coaches call. I remember talking with Pollack, I remember going through the schemes and everything. I've realized that this was probably the best opportunity I had. We my agents and I were happy with just how the tackle room was going and everything else with the program, and just thought that I would have a chance. And years three years later, man, I mean I still you know, don't don't believe it. But three years later, yeah.
Speaker 2: So you spent your first year on the practice squad and then last year you suffered a knee injury during training camp and missed the season. How did it happen and how severe was it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Man, it was it was a nightmare.
Speaker 12: I was holding a bag and holding a bag standard day stepped on somebody's foot behind me and it happened, But it was a miniscus here and the whole I was out for I mean it was. It was pretty grueling, but maybe a lot stronger mentally physically. I remember during that time I started doing some stuff with you know upstairs, doing some extra film review breakdowns, trying to help the guys out give different key pointers and different guys. I think it was able to help with some of my pass rush recognition, being able to recognize moves. And then also I took a lot of time in the weight room with Joey and Garrett. I think back then was it Todd? I think Todd as well. And I think that year last year I think was probably some of I think the most progress I've ever seen in my game, just because of the small things I never really had time to do when it came to priority or really elevating.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that you shared that because I had the memory of you being around last year while you were rehabbing, which is somewhat unusual. Many players will have an injury like that and say all right, and I'm gonna go home. I'll do my rehab there. I don't need to be around. But you took advantage to try to continue to get better even though you were limited.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, I think the biggest thing that I was thinking of is how can I contribute when I literally can't contribute? You know, as a UDFA, I feel like the most important thing for me to do is always look at ways to fill deficiencies. Just because you know you're not as a UDFA, you're not initially brought to immediately fill a deficiency as a spot as a drafted player is. Therefore, you have to do a little bit more attentive to what it is that can be done around here to help out.
Speaker 2: We're doing fun facts with Devin Cochrane. You got your first chance to play a big role in the Tennessee game recently when Cody Ford got sick.
Speaker 1: How big were the Butterflies.
Speaker 12: I don't want to make it sound like not big at all, but not huge. You brought up the Vanderbilt Alabama thing, how they played and beat them. I remember when I was I was a sophomore year, junior year going up against those guys, you know, I remember going up against Georgia at Vanderbilt, and I'll tell you one thing we never really had at Vanderbilt was a home crowd. You know, my entire career, I always experienced being what felt like a traumatic environment. And for the first time, you know, being around some of the elite guys on this team and knowing that we really do have a stinking chance. It was like, Okay, I know if I'm able to fill in and do what it is that I need to do.
Speaker 6: I mean, if I.
Speaker 12: Can give Joe three seconds, four seconds, five seconds, you know, however long it takes, I know we have a chance. T Jamar, you know, the other guys on the line.
Speaker 6: The defense. I knew everybody was gonna step up.
Speaker 12: Haven't always been on teams where I was extremely confident that we would be able to step up. But man, it's a great feeling when you you know, to be a part of that first time ever.
Speaker 2: All right, some wild card topics now with Devin Cochrane. Who is your all time favorite athlete in any sport?
Speaker 1: And why work done?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Growing up, I remember watching the Falcons and I think he was just somebody I kind of clinged to because I wasn't a big football player as a kid. But my family watched a lot of ball and just that you know, kind of mid two thousands generation Atlanta culture that we had going on back downtown and was it a Jermaine Duprix, you know, the just the culture of Atlanta it was.
Speaker 6: It was a good time to be to be around there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mentioned your wingspan seven feet two inches. Basically when you stretch out your arms, it's Kareem abdul Jabbar. How hard is it to find a shirt that fits?
Speaker 6: Shirts are tough? Shirts are tough.
Speaker 12: You get about a you get one or two wears out of a shirt and you find yourself given it to your wife. Shoes are tough. Shoes are really really difficult with shoes. Seventeen pants are really tough length wise. And then also, you know, I'm not like a just like a big, kind of really fat guy. I'm kind of proportional. So it's like it's difficult to find larger genes that are proportionally fit to like athletically built men. So it's it's been it's been more difficult.
Speaker 6: But you know there's a.
Speaker 2: Business concept there, you know, clothing for alignment.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, for sure, I've been my mom has giving me the recommendation before I just I have to build up a little capital first, you know.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about your schooling. You were working toward a master's degree at Georgia Tech. Did you finish it and what's the subject?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 12: I finished it and it was program management in the School of Building Construction. So it was ultimately construction with a focus in management.
Speaker 6: So the overall process.
Speaker 12: Of being able to go from beginning to end as far as not only the construction workers but also pre excuse me, programming and trying to figure out timing aspects that we're going to meet deadlines. How do we make sure that all the processes are working together symbiotically to make everything work.
Speaker 2: Would you like to be involved in that someday or do you hope to play ten plus years in the NFL, make millions and millions and kickback.
Speaker 12: I hope to play for fifteen years in the NFL, make millions and kickback, and then go and be able to have my own GC and potentially do something that nature for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, final fun fact for Devin Cochr. And this one's kind of deep. If you could meet anyone in history living or deceased. Who would that person be?
Speaker 6: King David?
Speaker 12: Yeah, King David, And I would just ask what was going through his head during David versus Good Life.
Speaker 6: That's all it is. I just want to hear what was it?
Speaker 12: And then I mean even so from that point on, you know, the transformation from going from a small child to ultimately a great king. Because you know, when I think about football, I think about you know, this past week and I went in, you know, rookie.
Speaker 6: Everybody thought, you know, hey, he's.
Speaker 12: Going to get screwed, and you know, there were some times where it was it was pretty tough. But I want to make a transformation to be great, you know, and that has to start somewhere and that's where I feel like it started this past weekend.
Speaker 6: So make that transformation.
Speaker 1: It's a great answer. This was fun.
Speaker 2: Appreciate your time, past the luck the rest of the way.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth Podcast, brought to you by Paid Corps, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider by Alta Fiber future Proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a New level and by Kettering Health, the best care for the best Fans. Health is the official healthcare provider.
Speaker 1: Of the Bengals. If you haven't done so.
Speaker 2: Already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for listening to the Bengals Boot Podcast.