Speaker 1: The Red Weather is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons or events reflects the adaptation of real, publicly available materials for creative and legal reasons. The content of this podcast is the sole responsibility of Red Weather LLC and does not reflect the views of responsibilities of iHeartMedia or its affiliates. Previously on The Red Weather, in nineteen ninety five, my neighbor and a trainer disappeared from a commune, and back then I lied to everybody.
Speaker 2: An a trainer was at a party in downtown Sebasketball. There are a lot of witnesses that said Anna she had a fight with her boyfriend.
Speaker 1: I was with Anna's sister Willow that night, but we were actually in the woods. We were on the Tender Hearts.
Speaker 3: Property, the most weed I've ever seen in my life, and Willow burned it down to the ground intentional.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure does that answer things or does that does create more questions?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's kind of my whole with this podcast, That's what I want to find out. My dad has this story he tells from when he was a teenager. One night, his friends told him to get in the car.
Speaker 5: Friends of mine that I grew up with.
Speaker 6: Said, hey, we have a girl that's living away from here who.
Speaker 5: Is willing to take us on.
Speaker 6: And said, oh, yeah, yeah, come on, let's go. And I said, oh, well sure, you know, I jumped in the car and there were three or four of us.
Speaker 1: They were all going to see Sally Chase, an older married woman who wanted to party with him while her husband was out of town. They parked the car and walked through the woods to go to a farmhouse.
Speaker 6: It was raining, started raining real light.
Speaker 5: But this house is up on the top of the hill.
Speaker 1: And side note, even though this really happened, this story in my imagination is animated. Specifically, it looks like the cover of a Hardy Boys novel or any old timey book or movie poster with a haunted house or a spooky farmhouse. Anyway, when my dad and his past and they definitely called each other pal got close to Sally Chase's porch, gunshots rang out.
Speaker 6: You're just one of light and window, and all of a sudden, this guy yells out, oh.
Speaker 5: Did you should it bit you to come around her?
Speaker 1: In my wife boom boom. Sally's husband was there yelling and brandishing a shotgun, so one of my dad's friends falls to the ground, screaming in pain. The shots kept coming, and understandably, my dad panicked.
Speaker 6: And I turned and I ran as fast as I could out of there, not thinking of anybody else but surviving. As I'm running, I come up to his.
Speaker 5: Field on ahead of me and said, okay, right through there, and I run.
Speaker 1: He ran headlong into a fence in the dark, cut up his forehead.
Speaker 6: I jump over the fence and they finally found a place in another road that I could come out one.
Speaker 1: Blood was dripping down his face. He made it to the road. He flagged down a car as soon as he got in. The man who picked him up was concerned. My dad was embarrassed, scared and didn't know what to say. But the driver had a very important, very telling question.
Speaker 6: They said, you haven't worn up see Sally Chase for it. I said not, I'm talking about man.
Speaker 1: My dad denied it, but the guy persisted, you were up season Sally Chase.
Speaker 5: Vers goes, damn man, that guy up.
Speaker 6: There's crazy. He shot to my buddies. At least and he said, no, no, that's a joke, is what It was.
Speaker 1: A setup, a prank, one of these small town rituals that had been going on for years. So the guy gave my dad a ride into town where all his friends were waiting for him, laughing and welcoming him to the club of Sally Chase Survivors, which was always this kind of funny story straight out of something like the movie Porky's Some nineteen fifties Boys Will Be Boys romp. But when I consider this story now, this memory, I have a hard time wrapping my head around what my dad was thinking. He was going to sleep with some random married woman in a farmhouse. Did he believe this woman was so excited to cheat on her husband that she just invited a group of teenage boys sight unseen to her house. Was going to be some kind of orgy? Were they going to take turns? Did he really think this through? No, of course not. He just went along with his friends, because when you're a teenager, you don't think these things through. You're caught up in a moment in your age, in your friend group. You're completely in a bubble. Your hormones are going crazy, your priorities are completely messed up. It's not that different from what my friends and I were doing the night that Anna Trainer disappeared, just like my dad's story. When I think back and I try and remember my worldview, it just doesn't make any sense. We were out there for some kind of revenge, and there was a sex and porn element that is super fuzzy and makes me uncomfortable to even think about, let alone talk about into a microphone. It was just like my dad, this adolescent misadventure that if you look back with any perspective, you can't help but question your motivations, your intelligence, and even maybe your moral compass. The difference is, of course, that for my dad it all worked out. His crazy Night in the Woods was a joke and he was fine. They could laugh about it. They even went on to play the same prank on my dad's brother and other friends. But my Crazy Night in the Woods ended with a fire that burned four houses and one hundred acres, And after that night, Willow's sister Anna was never seen again. I am actor and filmmaker writer Strong This is the Red Weather. Before she killed herself, my friend Willow had let me out of a promise to keep a secret about the night her sister Anna disappeared. I'd gone back to my hometown to talk with reporters, police, family, and other people from our lives. My friend Chris joined me. He was also in on the promise, but I had barely begun the process when Chris and I discovered that our versions of this promise were pretty different. Why would we be arrested because Willow accidentally started the fire?
Speaker 3: Accidentally started a fire that that is not at all would happen?
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: What are you talking? I'm talking with the pinkiesware. Turns out Chris was with her, and she'd started the fire intentionally to burn down a barn full of cannabis, which back then we would have called pot or marijuana or if you're my parents.
Speaker 5: Grass that's what you called it. So I still call it, yes, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, I feel like growing up, you guys always called it grass or dope, called a magic plants, magic plants.
Speaker 7: Well, we just called it magic plants for you guys, you little guys.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: In any event, coming forward to the cops suddenly felt like a bigger deal. I'd already scheduled to sit down with Sheriff Maldonado, the lead investigator from Anna's case, I was set to meet him at his house.
Speaker 4: Would you be willing to sit down with me?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 4: Sure, I can come to you.
Speaker 1: It's just a couple of microphones and a recorder, you know.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, that sounds good.
Speaker 5: I'll try to find what notes I might have.
Speaker 1: Chris and I took the time to walk the woods behind my parents' house where we were the knight that Anna disappeared, yeh, finding out we had different versions of that night. It seemed important to retrace our steps, all right. So the rat hole used to be Yeah, there see the bones of it. Yeah, the rat hole was a for it. My brother and I made, well, really, my dad made it and we helped. I probably nailed a couple of boards. But it was every kid's dream come true.
Speaker 11: Which was a two story building that had no windows or doors, but the only way you get in was through a trapdoor underneath.
Speaker 5: It took me a long time to knock it down.
Speaker 1: When did your dad take it down? I actually don't know. I mean it was after we moved.
Speaker 6: Out, probably ten to fifteen years ago. I don't remember. Just in fact, the parts are still there. I never took them away. I didn't what to do with it, because when they had the septic redone, they just took all the old sheptic concrete threw it down there too.
Speaker 1: It was this crumbling molding mess. But when we were kids, it was the best. We put a carpet inside, we spray painted the walls, and it was where we set the stage for our knight. Didn't consult us, just took it down. It's like, what was our plan? It was Halloween nineteen ninety five. I was with Chris, our friends Connor, Ryan and Willow. We were fifteen. We didn't have cars, didn't have good flashlights, we didn't have a clue, but we had the rat hole, some rope, a fake dead body, and maybe the worst idea in the world. At the time, we thought we were doing the right thing, something noble. We were trying to save Anna's reputation. And the interesting thing about that is I didn't even really know Anna that well. I mean, I was intimidated by Anna. She was older man, she was the coolest. When Chilo knew her a little bit better. I think she just was kind of lost at that time, and I.
Speaker 11: Regret looking back on it, my lack of understanding what she was going through and.
Speaker 1: You were in love with her. We all had a massive crush on Rose and I barely even talked to her.
Speaker 3: But whatever, I was anything with a pulse and boob Okay, fuck off, I wasn't in teen magazines and on television.
Speaker 1: At fall. Anna was going through a rough time. Likes. She and Willow grew up in the Tender Hearts, the collective through the woods from Me, so they were homeschooled up until high school, and then she wanted to go to the same high school as everyone in Sebastopol, the public school. Anily, she went from being a commune kid out in the sticks to suddenly having this much more regular, all American high school experience, and by all accounts, it didn't go well.
Speaker 11: You know, I think she at that time was going through a lot of stuff that.
Speaker 5: I don't think we could really relate.
Speaker 1: To or understand. You know, my brother tried to go to Annilie's freshman year.
Speaker 11: He only lasted two weeks after coming off of being homeschooled.
Speaker 5: Yeah, walking into.
Speaker 11: That was yeah awful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, God, I don't know. I still have nightmares about it.
Speaker 1: This was a girl who never set foot in the classroom. She'd never done a book report, let alone dealt with the kind of social pressure of a typical American high school. You have to remember this was the nineteen nineties. No one wanted to actually be weird, to actually be different. If you didn't shop at Hot Topic, listen to Tupac and Nirvana, you probably weren't going to be popular. And I know there are a lot of hippie kids everywhere, but that usually meant kids who smoked pot and listened to the Grateful Dead. It did not mean kids who would say, find roadkill, skin it and eat it. Ryan remembers that I remember.
Speaker 12: Her actually bringing that to school and it being cooked, and like people trying it.
Speaker 4: I think I might have tried.
Speaker 9: A little bit of it. Actually, well yeah, she never.
Speaker 1: Tried something, but it was I thought it was either possum or squirrel.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: But Anna wanted a more normal life. She wanted to be in town, so even though rough, she stuck it out and things did get better for a time. She made friends. For better or worse, she discovered drinking and drugs, and by her junior year she had a boyfriend, Mick Bowden. He was the ultimate town kit. He got good grades, had money, He had his own car and Acura Integra.
Speaker 2: Look, my understanding was that Anna and Mick were a little star crossed.
Speaker 1: This is Monica Tremblaine. She's the local reporter who covered the case originally and was helping me connect the dots.
Speaker 2: Definitely, it was surprising that they dated it in the first place.
Speaker 1: Huck, I'm hated me too, hated. Mick and Anna were together for a year or so, and after they broke up, Anna got a reputation she was well, now you say sex positive, but that wasn't really a thing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there was some she gave head to some guy in the dark room or a couple guys in the dark.
Speaker 1: Room or something, and the fact that she had done that was.
Speaker 5: Enough of a story to tell to everybody, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: She had a reputation of being very sexually open, which I remember was unjustified.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, it just always annoyed me.
Speaker 11: Because it was only because she was a woman, and that whole idea, the concept of somebody being a slut only.
Speaker 5: Applies to a woman.
Speaker 1: And eventually there was a tape Shiloh had actually seen.
Speaker 5: It was it a VHS No, I think it was on. It was like one of those little tiny.
Speaker 1: D mini DV things. This is the infamous yurt party tape. And if you don't know what a yurt is, you've clearly never been on an Iowasco retreat or been a teenager in northern California. They're semi permanent tents.
Speaker 13: It starts out and everybody's dancing. There's like music playing. She was there with a couple guys and it started getting you know, more like sexy dancing. And I remember like she had this like like one piece on, and I remember what I can see in the video that you know, he's trying to like take her shirt off. Like they started kissing and making out and grinding and yeah.
Speaker 11: And they were all making out in the bed together. It was like, yeah, the two guys and her.
Speaker 1: As you can imagine, like most small towns, if something scandalous went down at a party, everyone knew about it. And somehow apparently Mick got a hold of this tape. What's he gonna do because there was no online couldn't download. Is he gonna make copies of the tape?
Speaker 4: I guess?
Speaker 1: Or just show people in them out a screening today? This would be called revenge porn, but back then it didn't have a name. It was just ruining Anna's life. And Willow wanted us to protect her sister. She wanted us to help, so we got our little trip together. Okay, but this is where I remember ducking down from the headlights, right, and I had the Louisville Slugger. I had a baseball bat. Wait we had a bat?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for pure defense.
Speaker 1: I know we had fireworks, but not a bat. Definitely, you were on the path. No, No, because I remember me and Connor we were ducking down. Do you remember there used to be like a huge fern right here. We were behind that. No, no, you were definitely on the path. How much you want to bet? I don't need to remember.
Speaker 3: Connor will back me up on this. I'm not because you're scared you're gonna lose the bet.
Speaker 1: No, let's just bet on it. Okay, fine, Connor lives in England now, he's a professor of sociology.
Speaker 9: No, Chris is right.
Speaker 14: Really, Yeah, you were dealing with rigging up the dummy Bucky Bucky.
Speaker 9: Yes, that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Our idea was to get Mick out to the woods and distract him long enough to grab the yurt tape from his car. But in order to do that, and here's where fifteen year old logic takes over, we decided to not only lure him out, but also to scare the crap out of him. Because it was Halloween. My family was really big into Halloween, so we threw parties with Haunted Walks of the Woods, and we were the family that did the Haunted House at our grade school. We used to make our own masks and creatures, and we had a lot of props, including a fake dead body we called Bucky.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: But then we had it on a noose I think, and then it was like, you know, you could swing it down, so when people walked by, we would drop it in front of them, right, and that would scare people.
Speaker 1: Is that body still up in the pony house?
Speaker 5: I see, I just came across the gams.
Speaker 1: So we made our plan to get the your tape exactly the way you would plan a haunted maze. Nick ideally pulls up, gets out of the car, sees the light on in the rat hole. Oh what's that? I must go over towards there, walk down this path.
Speaker 4: How did we get it?
Speaker 1: Even get him out here in the first place.
Speaker 14: WILLI set it up? Yeah, she told Mick to meet him there. Well, do you remember what she told him? No, but I know we put hay bails.
Speaker 1: That was to divert Mick from the Tender Hearts driveway. We knew he'd dead end by the rat hole where Willow was waiting, So she gets him in the rat hole and she lights off. The eighties, sixties m sixties were loud, completely illegal fireworks someone had procured from Chinatown.
Speaker 14: So we would go into Chinatown and we would stock up on firecrackers with different sizes and power. It was the sixties and the eights, and these were like the big daddies, right, These are the ones that would make a really big.
Speaker 1: Boom, basically cherry bombs, pop pop, douchebag Nick pieces pants.
Speaker 3: Okay, hopefully comes back down this path where you and O'Ryan have bucket.
Speaker 1: Once Mick came back out of the rat hole, Oriyan and I would drop Bucky, scaring the crap out of him and buying more time for Connor and Chris to rifle through his car and hopefully find the tape. The tape, the YRT tape that was the play that was That's not what happened. As much as our friend Connor helped us remember some things, I wish we hadn't called him because after we talked, Chris refused to meet Sheriff Maldonado with me.
Speaker 9: Do you know the actual like legal technicalities.
Speaker 1: I've looked up as much as I can. I asked chat GPT. But you know, look, we didn't start the fire.
Speaker 14: Wait, so you're planning to sit down with the sheriff. He's a retired sheriff whatever, an officer of the law. Yeah, and tell him that you lied to him thirty years ago.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think we even committed a crime. I'm still going to talk to him. There's zero chance that this isn't beyond the statute delimitration.
Speaker 9: That's what I'm man.
Speaker 1: Just come with me. We just tell him the truth. We've already made progress.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: The moldy old pager, the dog dug up and your parents kept in a garage.
Speaker 5: It's something, It is something, but.
Speaker 1: I'm not going Chris was talking about a pager weed found After we walk the property, Chris and I went through some of the stuff in my parents' garage.
Speaker 4: I swear my.
Speaker 8: Parents have been throwing anything away for fifty years.
Speaker 3: What is this creepy boxing, dirty children?
Speaker 5: This is Cookie's collection.
Speaker 1: We had a golden Retriever named Cookie. She's somewhat of a legend. According to family lore. The only thing that Cookie ever did wrong was she would steal kids' shoes and bury them.
Speaker 7: You guys could take your shoes off to go on the trampoline and after having a lot of fun, coming back and you don't have your shoes, or you're missing.
Speaker 1: One, and many a kid went home without a shoe.
Speaker 7: I don't know how many years later you finally followed her.
Speaker 5: While there was still follows her.
Speaker 1: She went all the way down in the meadow. I had she dug up.
Speaker 3: Old Jordan, British la gear.
Speaker 4: Is this the Patriot?
Speaker 1: It was green? Of course it didn't turn on.
Speaker 5: Look is that yours?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I never had a colored one pager of color colored Patriot?
Speaker 9: Karen, So, I mean that could be anybody's.
Speaker 1: I know, it's kind of crazy. Just find it a pager when we know Anna had one out here. I was so excited by the prospect of finding a clue that I was making this random object fit the story, but regardless, it was a cool relic of the time.
Speaker 5: It's bigger than I remember them being. Wow, look at that.
Speaker 1: I hadn't seen a pager in thirty years, let alone held one. I told Chris he didn't have to come with me, and that I wouldn't say his name. Hi, Sheriff Maldonado.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, come on it. Hi.
Speaker 1: He lives in Katti about thirty five minutes away.
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it Sheriff Still?
Speaker 15: I don't know if it was one of those those titles like president or yeah, it's Sheriff's.
Speaker 1: Maldonado's in his seventies, but he looks younger. We took a seat at his dining room table while his two cats, both of them long haired and silver, roamed around us. I felt like I had a lot to film in on who I was, what I was doing, why, But then I also had some more basic questions, do you remember me at all?
Speaker 5: Kind of just remembered your kids in general. You know, we knew one of you was an actor. You're part of the younger.
Speaker 10: Crowd, I think the sister right, yeah, Willow. And there was something because it was Halloween.
Speaker 1: It was a scarecrow yeah, we had this dead.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, exactly, that was us.
Speaker 1: I actually can't remember what I told the Sheriff's department back in nineteen ninety five, and I wasn't sure what Mick told him at the time.
Speaker 10: A few younger guys all that seemed like what high Town, My old partner, Fred.
Speaker 5: High Tower, I'd call Tom Shannigans.
Speaker 1: What's that like Shenanigans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Fred, he wasn't. He was.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 10: It's not a stutter, it's a he mixed the words up. He blend him together, you know, like pursuitable. He said once suspectful.
Speaker 5: Was a classic.
Speaker 10: Red was trying for Tomfoolery and Shenanigan's.
Speaker 5: But you know, just never came out right.
Speaker 10: A lot of our job in a situation like this with juveniles, a lot of the job is pulling out the kid's stuff.
Speaker 1: It didn't feel like that to us at the time. It felt like life or death.
Speaker 9: I remember hearing screams from the car.
Speaker 1: We never considered that Mick might have a friend with him, So when his accurate pulled in, Travis Washman was with him, and while Mick did get out and walked to the rat hole, Travis waited in the car.
Speaker 9: And then Chris ran at him. He was trying to get him out.
Speaker 1: Oh the dude, kill me, nick. I remember actually being really scared, thinking these older guys were gonna beat us up or kill us if they got us. Pure chaos and mayhem. I was with O'Ryan and someone was dressed as a mine. Ryan and me, we were both mines. Part of the confusion was the costume factor. Before we enacted this whole plan, we'd gotten dressed up in costume and walked around downtown Sebastopol. Connor's costume was an easy joke.
Speaker 9: He said he was going to be the scariest thing in the world. Yeah, yeah, yeah, what was it? A lawyer? That's right. So he just he just wore like a suit and die, right right right.
Speaker 1: Ryan and I cobbled together some makeup and hair gel that my parents had. We had white faces and mohawks. We called ourselves psycho mimes, and you were like, what the Phantom of the Opera, Phantom.
Speaker 4: Of the Coffee Chapera had.
Speaker 3: I had a Starbucks barised that green apron, and then I had a phantom mask.
Speaker 1: I feel you're judging eyes, Yeah, I'm not quite getting Starbucks was a new exciting thing. It was the go go nineties.
Speaker 3: We all had more hair and it was fine.
Speaker 1: Willa wore the same thing she always did, a pair of fairy wings, right, because she was a nymph, no, a dryad. Is there a difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're tree spirits like a or river spirits.
Speaker 1: That is next level.
Speaker 4: Whatever she had made.
Speaker 1: Regardless, Willow was a flying pixie thing with wings. And yes, I'm aware that the one girl and our group of friends, the muse of this podcast with a fantasy sounding name, was quite literally dressed as a manic pixie dream girl.
Speaker 4: But it's the truth.
Speaker 3: She wore wings even later in life.
Speaker 1: And it was like her go to so in costume. In the dark, we were scattered, separated in the woods, no light. Travis and Mick looking for us.
Speaker 3: Willow and I ended up in that barn at the Tender Hearts property.
Speaker 1: When I talked to Maldonatto, I relayed Chris's story as if it was my own.
Speaker 5: There was weed in the bar.
Speaker 3: I mean, this wasn't just a shit, my friend.
Speaker 1: This was a barn, right, so you're done with weed? And it was hanging.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were drying it out. Oh yeah, I guess yeah.
Speaker 3: So Willow like gets to her feet and she's like freaking out, but she's not crying. She's syperventilating. She's breathing in and out, trying to almost catch her breath, like she was having a panic attack or something it was.
Speaker 1: And she started gathering hay into a pile, and I'm like.
Speaker 10: Willa, Willo, woo woo, Willow, Willow, Willow, what.
Speaker 3: Are you doing. We wouldn't stop.
Speaker 1: Calmed down, calm down, Let's get out of here. And she pulls out her lighter that we had for the fireworks.
Speaker 5: Swoosh.
Speaker 3: Immediately the thing goes up, and then seconds later all of the weed is up in flames, and we get them get the hell out of there, because we're lucky to not burn to death.
Speaker 1: But we never told you, any of you any of that we at the time, we just said that we were at my friend's house and we watched the shining and we went to bed. So I'm hoping that some of this, any of this might be helpful, you know, at least if I'm coming forward, at least then you'll know you'll have part of the truth.
Speaker 5: Are you expecting applause.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I'm I'm just trying to.
Speaker 10: Because I'm not sure what you I'm not sure what you want to do here. If this is about you getting something off your chest, I don't know, honoring your dead girlfriend. If you really want to get into this, if you want to really get into this thing, then you got to do it right.
Speaker 1: Got to call Lachlan Grace. Lachlan is the current Sonoma County sheriff.
Speaker 10: Get her on board, you get her to sign off, then we're really talking here.
Speaker 1: Admitting I lie to the current sheriff felt like a bigger risk.
Speaker 10: I spent over a year on and a trainer, interviews, photos, we had clothing, her mom had letters, books, and you don't want to see all that, all of it. If you want to move past, you want to get beyond the Tom Shannigans and let's go.
Speaker 5: But you've got to talk to Lucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I guess, I'm I guess My question is could I be charged with the client.
Speaker 5: You gotta talk to Luckily?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 9: Did you even know about the your tape?
Speaker 1: After I talked to Maldonado, I called Monica to catch up.
Speaker 9: No, I mean I knew there were rumors about Anna. I knew about a mixtape, a mixtape, a haunted tape.
Speaker 2: This was over at Annaly and there was this mixtape with songs. But then the story was it was a ghost tape and her voice by her voice beyond the grave.
Speaker 1: I never heard about that, all right, But let's just for a second, if Mick did have video, if he was trying to blackmail Anna.
Speaker 9: Or wait, writer, do you want it to be here?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: Okay, they looked at Mick.
Speaker 2: He had somebody with them every step of the way the party, driving Travis home, he was looking for Anna, but he dropped Travis off at his house. He got the patremna, he drove try to pick her up from Jennifer Street payphone, and she never showed.
Speaker 4: And the fire started.
Speaker 1: Do you do you think, like I really really think that Mick couldn't kill there.
Speaker 15: It's stretch, I guess, but like, isn't it a stretch to think.
Speaker 3: Anyone could kill anyone?
Speaker 1: Monica asked me if I wanted it to be Mick, and I realized I kind of do, oh me, Jill.
Speaker 2: Even if Mick managed to meet up with Anna then murder her in twenty minutes, couldn't have getten rid of the body and driven her car all the way to SFO.
Speaker 9: Not without help, right, not without help. And we know he was with the rest of the night.
Speaker 1: Out of respect for privacy and legal reasons, we've had to edit one of the names that came up in some interviews.
Speaker 2: Really, look, the only time that it didn't make sense was the time that he was with us, So in anything, you just helped to clear his name.
Speaker 1: I never heard make drive away, So I stayed alone in the woods for a while, I mean maybe an hour, it felt like forever, and finally I heard Oryan calling out and we found each other. And then we found Willow.
Speaker 4: On the road.
Speaker 9: How did you get to kind of Drakes? We walked that's like four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four miles maybe maybe even five.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And Chris and I were on the road too.
Speaker 4: Oh really, you guys.
Speaker 1: I thought you guys were still in the woods.
Speaker 3: No, we met back up with you guys, walked back and we.
Speaker 1: Watched the sunrise and Connors we did. Yeah, we heard science and we hid in the bushes whenever a car went by. We knew there might still be a fire going, but we had no idea how big it was.
Speaker 14: I do remember that that's where we stopped and watched the sunrise come up, and we were just I just the we were so emotionally charged.
Speaker 9: It was like we were doing amphetamines.
Speaker 14: We basically had that level of sort of insane energy.
Speaker 9: And then there was just this pause on the side of the road after an intense night like that.
Speaker 12: It's just kind of like, you know, I'll sing this song and it kind of like lightens the mood a little bit, you know, Revity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A cool part about being friends with Oryan is that whenever we hike and we've gone on backpacking trips together since we were ten years old.
Speaker 9: He sings, Yeah.
Speaker 12: Challa Days was a rare Counting Crows song off of a demo tape.
Speaker 1: I think it also like because it was like this deep cut, you know, it was like it wasn't oh yeah, it was initially released, so it felt like sort of a secret that only we knew, you know, Like it was like it was kind of like this our song.
Speaker 9: And then it's also I guess about a small town in the.
Speaker 1: Vein of like round here, and a lot of this where is about like a girl in a small town and it feels like it.
Speaker 9: Could be about Sebastopol. It does, right, Yeah, totally all right? Could you sing it the whole thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: For the podcast? Yeah, like you're gonna put this on iHeartRadio. Oh my god, that's gould be good. It just has to be you.
Speaker 8: Mary Jane says, it's all right. She's just around the corner from the main line and any Dane Now, it's all Rightey standing on the precipice of big.
Speaker 1: Time not Willow didn't talk almost the whole time until she stopped and made us all promise to stick to the same story. It was cold, I remember shivering, and the sun took forever to come on.
Speaker 5: But it was beautiful for.
Speaker 1: All the insanity of that night. It's it's weirdly a positive.
Speaker 5: Memory, falling falling down.
Speaker 9: This is Lachlan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi, Sheriff Lachlin. This is right or strong.
Speaker 1: I got in touch with Grace Lachlin. You know, since my goal is to like document this entire process from start to finish.
Speaker 4: I I'm actually.
Speaker 1: Recording this call right now, which I hope is okay, and I'm happy to stop if you no, no, no, no, you know what I want you?
Speaker 9: I want you to record it.
Speaker 16: I want actually, I want you to be sure to include this in your podcast.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 16: The Trainer case was wobble for my time, but you know, I looked into it, spoke with Sheriff Maldonado, and he let me know that you had information right, right right.
Speaker 1: And now you're coming into this.
Speaker 16: With microphones and a whole news story like some night on a horse.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I don't think I'm going to. Actually I'm just trying to.
Speaker 16: But the thing is, you are on record you made false statements. That's documented in nineteen ninety five. That's obstruction of justice. I can warrant charges. I'm lucky for you, frankly lucky for me because I don't want the hassle. It's wall past the statute of limitations.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, yeah, I mean okay.
Speaker 16: And most importantly this is there's what we call good faith in mitigation. So you come clean, now, you come forward, no bullshit, no lying, and you want to help that goes along way. So if you want, I can. Oh, I'll take a look see what I can pull from this file. Is there something you want in particular?
Speaker 5: All of it?
Speaker 1: Of course, that was my real answer. I wanted to see all the evidence, but I knew I should be specific, precise if I was ever going to get the Sheriff's department on my side, I had to start slow. Maldonado and Monica changed perspective.
Speaker 5: Wheat isn't news.
Speaker 10: Even with a fire that big, we could we could smell it. But knowing it was the sister. When I hear that, now, all I can think about is that she was protecting her Maybe she was protecting her parents or whatever you want to call them. When she keeps that a secret, she's protecting her mom, And no, I think I mean, I think.
Speaker 1: She was protecting us or protecting herself. Well for notting a bunch of wheat on fire.
Speaker 5: What's worse.
Speaker 10: Your sister has gone missing, and you're a fifteen year old kid who get a barn on fire.
Speaker 5: You're worried about that.
Speaker 10: Now you're worried about your mom, who's been out here in the woods worshiping trees, singing the demons and dancing in the circles.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think that's what they were doing.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean? We knew they weren't on Kum Bay.
Speaker 15: Butterflies out there Wow, we went back for years, but they had an alibi.
Speaker 1: I mean they were for that night.
Speaker 4: They were at the seance.
Speaker 5: That's what we thought too at first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, god, I'd love to Maldonado said that there were there are that There are transcripts in the file of his interviews with el Rick Light and Mick Bowden.
Speaker 9: Yeah all right, yeah, I'll take a look. See if easy.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you so much, I really do it.
Speaker 1: Nostalgia is such a trap. It's so powerful. It can make your eyes well up just from holding a pager. It can make songs from your teens sound better. The more nostalgia draws you in, the more it just warps your perception of reality. It can replace reality. Hey, how's it going that night? I call my wife Alex back in La.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm definitely not very good at this kind of annoying everybody, like you know, I'm just I'm so attached to this thing, this.
Speaker 9: Night for you.
Speaker 1: When I went into this, I knew I needed to stop thinking like a fifty But I also need to stop thinking like a forty five year old high on nostalgia.
Speaker 14: As my wife put it right, So you don't want your mid life crisis to be a podcast.
Speaker 4: No, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Not every little thing from back then has big important meaning. Even if I have big important feelings, Sometimes kid stuff is just kid stuff. I needed to come at this as objectively as possible. I needed to cut off nostalgia, let go of expectations, my ego, and try and learn as much as I could, and for now that man, ignoring my personal feelings for someone like Mick, even Willow, and just listening to someone like Maldonado.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was only a few days before their TenderHearts alibi Philip Art came crashing all the wind him.
Speaker 1: What are you saying that they weren't at the sounds.
Speaker 5: Well, not all of them. We got to get you up to speed, man, We got to get you up speed.
Speaker 1: If some are all all of the Tender Hearts had lied, if their alibi had come crashing down. This was actually exactly what I wanted to hear, because it meant that staying with this project, staying with Anna's case, was finally going to move beyond me, my Tom Shanigans, and my nostalgia. It meant it was time to confront one of the most intriguing and mysterious aspects of Anna and Willow's life. It was time for me to look into the tender hearts. The Red Weather is an iHeart podcast hosted by writer Straw, sound engineering, editing and mixing by Bo Milkins, Produced by Tess Bartholomey. Executive producers at iHeartRadio Trevor Young and Matt Frederick, Associate producer Bo milkis Original score by Kyle Morgan.
Speaker 4: If you're enjoying the.
Speaker 1: Show, please remember to leave a review and rating.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.