Speaker 1: Call It What It Is with Jessica Capshaw and Camila Luttington, an iHeartRadio podcast. Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello Call It crew.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of Call It What It Day.
Speaker 1: So as you call it, I'm so excited today, I'm like, I got a little extra pep in my step?
Speaker 2: Do you want to? Should we just die right in and tell us why you're excited?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's two words that make me feel excited. Actually it's four Camilla Luddington. Yeah, Gina Davis, Kamila Luddington, Gina Davis.
Speaker 3: I mean those two, those two I can see a starring in movie together, those two names together.
Speaker 1: Wow. I just love that. I tried to make it six and put myself in there and you were like, yeah, totally running away with the movie that Gina Davis and I are starring in.
Speaker 3: They I feel like, that's a that's a that's a headliner, that's a that's a new Marvel blockbuster.
Speaker 1: Move over Deadpool and Wolverine.
Speaker 3: Gena Davis, for anyone listening who doesn't know, starred on Gray's Anatomy with us, and she worked very closely with you, Miss Arizona Robbins, and it was so incredible and exciting, and it was like, I mean we're talking movie.
Speaker 2: Star on set, movie star, movie star magic.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And I gotta say, like we on Grey's Anatomy, we are so lucky because there really are. It's an abundance of guest stars. I mean it's like no joke, right, yeah, like the people that come and play as you know, guest stars are just like unparalleled. And I remember that there was like Denzel Washington. I remember hearing the Coming and I was like, oh, I did that Washington. I had no scenes with him, none.
Speaker 2: I was even in that episode. They were like, who should we write in?
Speaker 3: That's like amazing and they said take Joe out instantly Arizona. You know, I have a funny Denzel story though. And Jesse Williams can attest to this because he was stood.
Speaker 2: Right next to me and he made so much fun of me.
Speaker 3: I went in to say hi, and I was so nervous. I'm like, oh my god, his you know it's Denzel that I couldn't say my name right, so I was like his head hair and that it did. It literally didn't even sound remotely like Camilla. And then and Jesse Williams just happened to be standing right then.
Speaker 4: He was like what was that?
Speaker 3: And I was like, well, I'm not even in the episode. So that's that's his memory of me. Yeah, yeah, I'm done.
Speaker 1: Well I remember seeing him because he also no, sorry, he directed it. He wasn't guest starring. He was direct directing.
Speaker 2: He was direct. That's what I'm saying. It was like take me out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I take you out. I would it, but like I was only in it for a second, Like, I don't think that was justify the fact that they paid me for that episode. Is really what happened?
Speaker 2: You just walked by you.
Speaker 1: I was in an elevator, I walked out of it, and I walked into another elevator.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah. I had the same feeling with Gina though.
Speaker 1: So that's my point is that when they said Gina was coming, I was like, WHOA, whose storyline is she?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you were not walking from an elevator to an elevator for that storyline.
Speaker 1: No, I want the Geena Davis lottery. You did I and not only did I get to work with her, she and I were in lockstep.
Speaker 2: I know I was jealous of that lockstep. I'll be honest, I was.
Speaker 3: I had some scenes with her though, but I just it's you can't it's when you meet people like that, I find it hard to actually comprehend that that's the person there in real life. I'm not going to make her feel awkward on the pod, but I was definitely fangirling to an excessive amount.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, which you know, yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be the odd one out on this pod because you guys really bonded so well on the show, and then after she left the show, you were you were buddies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were. We were buddies. And when she when I ended up leaving the show, storyline wise, she came back.
Speaker 5: She was the one that came back. She yeah, to take me off to New York. Yeah, she threw her lass out and dragged you off. No, I know, I'm excited, Higina.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love your faith.
Speaker 2: We've been fangirling before you came.
Speaker 4: On, Gina.
Speaker 1: That's great, yay, Yeah, she likes she likes that kind of love.
Speaker 3: Well, because I haven't said and I was saying, I haven't seen you or spoken to you since Gray's Anatomy, and then I know that you and Jessica have since become such good friends, and you guys have been texting back and forth. And she even let me in on a little secret that you when you're texting her and you have like all these different nicknames for her.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I can't.
Speaker 1: I actually, I actually I had to go back and look at our text chain because I was like, there's so many of them I don't even remember what they are, and there were upwards of ten. And I'm just gonna I'm going to pick out which my favorite ones were.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think everyone i'll want to hear.
Speaker 1: Okay, So amongst my favorites were Peach fuzz, My Flaky Little Croissant, My Delicious Little Candied yam, My Little Caramel streussl Petunia Darling Caramel Cookie Waffle, and the last, which would be probably the truest in the in the story of our relationship, which would be why That's.
Speaker 3: Yes, that would fit, and I agree that is the most fitting of all of them. I love how they're food related, though, well.
Speaker 6: A lot of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm down because I want to Yeah, well, not.
Speaker 1: Like you, not as much as you like to eat those pancakes in the morning. On Grey's anatomy.
Speaker 6: Oh do you have my pancakes or my friends Jones?
Speaker 1: And you know what, you and Camila share something in common, which is that you wear tragic cozy pants and weird T shirts into the hair and makeup trailers. Yes, yeah, you wear like fuzzy pants and weird T shirts. I feel like it's a vibe to roll into work in the coziest things. I don't need to look chic before going into the I am really the worst dress though, for sure.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt.
Speaker 4: There's certain tops that I only wear for hair and makeup. I don't know why, for some reason, but for like years, twenty years, I have the same weird T shirts that I wear. They can get over your head after your hair and makeup, right, it has to be well.
Speaker 1: I remember more than anything that you came in looking beautiful and you left looking beautiful. And that's all I remember, because you are truly one of my favorite people and beautiful from the inside out. You you no really your your next level.
Speaker 4: I'm missing so much. We had so much fun, next level next level fun. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We would super super super laugh a lot. And I obviously I have the shortcut to a lot of I mean, I have like some of my favorite stories about working with you. You make me laugh so hard, even when it's you know, eleven o'clock at night and they call for that second stack and I'm like, and You're like, but what is it anything? You're like, but what is it?
Speaker 3: Second snacker should tell our listeners. Second snack means that you for sure and for like midnight possible filming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the most endearing stories that you told me, Gina was and and we had similar beginnings, and that we both started in New York. I've obviously come back to New York, but we both started in New York. And I would love for you to recall when you were modeling and then you got your job and you were cast in TUTSI.
Speaker 4: So wild.
Speaker 1: What did you I remember you telling me a story about being hired, and uh, I'm curious. Did you show up for all the days of work or just the days of work that you were told to come to work?
Speaker 4: Well? I never asked anybody any questions, uh, because I wanted to seem like I already knew what to do or something. So nobody ever told me that you don't have to come on the days you're not working, no, Gina. So I went every single day at six whatever. I would show up, and I knew that they sometimes they put makeup on me, sometimes they didn't. But uh, when I was there, and then I figured out that people had chairs with their names on them. And I didn't see a chair because I was like tenth or something I did. I didn't see a chair with my name on it. But my character was one of the soap opera actors and she had a chair. So I would go in the props closet, which you're not and get my chair. I came on it and next to Sydney Pollock. Yeah, because I figured, well, I'll just sit here. It never occurred to me that, oh, the actors chairs are all over there. It's only him and producers that are over here.
Speaker 6: I would put it right.
Speaker 4: Next to him all day, every day, and he never said I think I think nobody ever said anything.
Speaker 2: Thing I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: Did no one tell you, like, hey, Gina, you can really take your day off.
Speaker 2: You don't need to be here at six am. No one said that to you.
Speaker 4: No, No, I think they must have assumed that I want you know that I wanted to learn. I wanted to be there, you know, and this was this was just a thing that I was choosing to do, but I had I had no clue.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but do you remember this on Gray's Anatomy.
Speaker 4: There wasn't a chair with my name about it, and I took to be some Jaffer's tape.
Speaker 2: Davis, please tell me we have a picture of that somewhere. Do we have a photo of that? We need a picture of that.
Speaker 3: And by the way, how dare we have miss Gina Davis on our set and not give her a chair? I'm embarrassed, Gina, honestly, I'm embarrassed about that was funny.
Speaker 1: Don't worry I made her or feel cozy. It's a school of hard knocks over at Gray's Anatomy. Whatever, buckle up, let's go. If it was the eighties and Sydney Pollack was directing a movie and he hired me and someone let me on set, I think I'd probably do that, just keep coming back and watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it wasn't a conscious decision. I thought I was.
Speaker 2: She didn't want to Jessica.
Speaker 1: I wondered, she's just unconscious.
Speaker 6: I don't know a good story. If that's what happened.
Speaker 2: It's like a Christopher Guest movie.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's a character in a Christopher Guess movie that just does not know.
Speaker 2: It's so great.
Speaker 6: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So I want to ask Gina.
Speaker 3: Because obviously we got to work with you on the show, what was your first impression of our set?
Speaker 2: I mean even in a hundred cents, but what was your first impression of like?
Speaker 4: Wow, well, yeah it was.
Speaker 6: It was very favorable.
Speaker 4: I was. I was a little overwhelmed to be there, you know, because everybody been there so long and was so comfortable, and I was like, well, I'm the new guy. But it was fun. But the first episode I had, I had two lines because I didn't read a thing before I got cast. I just was like that that show Shonda Rimes, Yes I will say yes. So then I got the first episode, I was like, this is a slow introduction.
Speaker 6: I guess.
Speaker 4: Two lines and I wasn't In the second episode, and then the third episode, I had like four lives. But it turned out that Shanda's philosophy was I had always been there, so it wasn't like we're introducing a new character. I had always been at the hospital. You just hadn't met me yet, my character. So so that's that's that's how that was. But but it was great because I got to you know, EASi into into being there and being in the cast that ever they had. And then it was the best thing that ever happened that I got to be with my my buddy in everything, my pal. It's so much fun, so much fun. My best the funniest thing, because she's always saying the funniest things. But the best thing she ever said was I said something like, how could they not give a chair to a movie star, you know after all? Ah, and she very don patsys Well, honey, you're not really a movie star, You're a guest on a TV show.
Speaker 1: Okay, in in not defense, just I want off chair. In the retelling of my memory of that story, Gina ns, we were very quid pro quo and we were always taking the piss out of each other. And you would make me laugh all the time. You were telling a story about a director, because by the way, also before you'd come to Grays you would also played, you know, the President of the United States onto television. Yep, you were talking about a director that I think had come to work on that show, and you were like, oh yeah, oh no, Jessica. He was a very big, big director. He was a really big director. He was he did so many movies. He was very fancy. And then I was like, wow, I can't believe he's doing.
Speaker 2: Me noo my show.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's when I pointed out that you, in fact, were also a guest star on a television show. And you were like, you for how could you point that out?
Speaker 4: Like what, that's all we did all day we.
Speaker 1: All day long.
Speaker 3: No, that's what I It's funny because I did have a couple of scenes with you guys, and that's what I that's my biggest memory is how much you guys laughed together.
Speaker 1: But in all seriousness, it was it was Doctor Hermann came around after a time where I think that my storylines had been very deep and very kind of sad, and she Arizona was a little adrift and she didn't have, you know, a partner and going through the divorce and everything else, and so to have someone that was her person was really important and so I was so grateful for that relationship on screen and off. I mean obviously on screen and then the fact that I got the bonus off screen, and again I looked through our texts before. You know, I was looking at at this at this day and thinking about what we were going to talk about, and I just I laughed the whole story. And then of course I looked at all the things that you have done, Geena Davis as a human being, and I'm so curious about so many different things. Yes, but I really really really really want to get into You created the Geena Davis Institute because you were seeing that there was not enough representation and you wanted to put actual numbers to it and then show the world what those numbers were so that they could respond to it and not and be held accountable on that level, is what I'm guessing.
Speaker 4: Yes or no, Well, it wasn't to hold them accountable publicly. It was to It was to share the data with them privately and say, I think you're not aware of this? And right, okay. How it started was through kids television. My daughter was too and I decided, hey, let's I could start watching you know, little kids for school shows.
Speaker 6: And stuff with it.
Speaker 4: So the very first thing I put on, I can't wait, you know, and I'm like, wait a minute, how many female characters are on this show? And I googled it and there was one female character out of like multitudes of characters. And then I saw it in a video that we rented and a little kids, you know, movie and stuff like that, and I was like, wait, what what are we doing here? We're actually this is the twenty first century. Surely we should be showing kids that boys and girls share the sandbox equently. But I didn't just suddenly then launch an institute. I just started talking about it with whoever I happen to have a meeting with, have you ever noticed how few female characters there are in stuff made for kids? And every single person said, no, no, no, that's not true anymore. That's been fixed. And they would literally name a movie with one female character as proof that gender inequality was over. So that made me realize, this is completely unconscious. They do not and they would talk about how much they care about girls and our biggest goal is to do right by girls and blah blah blah. And so that's made me think if I got the data and gave it shared it with them, because I believe it truly is unconscious it should have an impact, and so that is actually what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what happened.
Speaker 2: So I have a question about this.
Speaker 3: So when when you shared the data with what it would like studios, is that.
Speaker 4: Production companies and guilds and everywhere everywhere?
Speaker 3: Did you get any pushback initially of people not really being interested in not wanting to see the dame?
Speaker 4: Not at all? And maybe it could potentially have been because I was talking about kids entertainment and people who make kids entertainment love kids, that's why they're doing it. And they were horrified. The universal reaction was they were absolutely floored to find that out because they literally had no idea. It was all unconscious like this, this weird unconscious feeling that if you have one important female character, you've covered females. So they were horrified. And that's why we've been able to make a lot of changes because they wanted to do better, and every meeting they were saying, can you do war research? Can you research us? Can you come back? Can you We need you to talk to our other division. So it's been pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: It's it's absolutely incredible. Yeah, and for representation, which obviously you know, we see so much. And I think that Shonda Rhymes has done I don't even know. I can't think of anyone who's done it better than her. Is that, you know, when she talks about what she's done on her shows and about who is in her shows and why, I am always like yes. And again when you say, I mean, I think it's very graceful to say unconscious, and I don't disagree with you, and we can do better, you know, I mean, I don't think it's a I don't think it's a I don't think it's a reason. I think it's a reason. I don't think it's acceptable right to say we're unconscious, right, Like it's our It's a lot of executives and actors and performers jobs to be conscious. We're consciously making art. So it's actually in our job description to understand what we're doing and why, and so we need to do.
Speaker 4: But I want to point oute that that behind the camera is completely different. That is in my unconscious bias. It was it was on screen specifically that I was talking about. But but yeah, but but Shonda, I mean, when you're go on that said, it's like it's the wonderful Wonderland or Old where in front of behind the camera. I mean, every possible facet of society is represented.
Speaker 6: So yeah, she's very good.
Speaker 4: I had the most magical experience on Tutsis as my first job. It couldn't have been better. I mean with not only is Sydney Pollack, you know, one of the best directors we've ever had, but but he really valued me. I mean he's an actor also, so he probably has a great appreciation for actors. But but I felt absolutely wanted and equal and competent, and you know, he always made me feel like I was part of the team. And Dustin Hoffman, I have to tell you it was incredibly supportive and became kind of a kind of a mentor. All day long, he'd be telling me, He say, I know you're going to have a career, so you need to do this. You know, you should read books and find and if there's a character you could play, you should see if you can option it, and literally stuff like that. He taught me how to watch dailies to an actor's benefit, and yeah, it was. It was amazing and I couldn't have had a better situation. And then Dabney Coleman was on that show, and he recommended me for a role in a TV show that he was going to do. So I was able to come out to La having been in a movie and with a as a series regular. So I mean, I had some really good fortune.
Speaker 3: So Jessica mentioned Thoma and Louise and I geeked out. I've been waiting for this to be mentioned because I'm such a huge fan. I want to know when you signed as such, I mean that movie, when you signed on for that movie, did you know from reading a script like this is lightning in a bottle, This is magic, This is going to explode and be huge or not. Have just love the script and didn't really think about right.
Speaker 4: No, no, none of us had any idea what was going to happen when it came out so wid a cultural nerve like that and exploded. No, no, we had no idea. When I read the script. It was already cast, by the way, by the time I saw it. But I was like, this is the best script. These are the best roles for women I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Okay, so someone was already cast in your role before you got it.
Speaker 4: Yes, but somebody just slipped me the script. This is the best roles in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Everybody's after how do I not know this part of the story.
Speaker 4: I told my agent, we have to stay on this in case something happens that it falls through. So he started calling Ridley Scott's office once a week just so you know, really okay okay. And then that all fell apart, and Ridley hired a new director and and my agent said, can Cagin to meet the new director. Know he already knows who he wants, but really, in trying to find directors and going through all this and explained it to them what he thinks thought the movie was about, made him realize, I know what this movie is. I'm going to just direct it. And so that's that's what happened. After going through these these various directors. This is a year later, and my agent called Ridley. I said, now that you're the director, I continue to meet with you. Yes, yes, yes, she's been very persistent. Yes. So I meet with Ridley and I am fired up. You know, I've got a year worth of passion. I had been meeting with my acting coach to work on a part that somebody else was cast in. That's how crazy I was. And I was working on Louise. My agent convinced me that I should be the other part. So I meet with Ridley and I'm pouring my heart out about why I absolutely have to be in this movie and I have to play Louise. He finally says, so, so, in other words, you wouldn't play Thelma. There was a slight pause, and I said, really, you know what's interesting is as I've been talking about me playing Louise and everything listening and it just doesn't sound right. I actually think I must play a smart woman. About why I absolutely had to be Oma. And then for a long time we didn't know who was going to be the other person, and he said, well, we'll see what part you play based on who the other person is and uh. And so then when he found Susan, it was obviously she was going to play Louise, said I would be a yeah.
Speaker 2: And that chemistry read in that chemistry read with Susan.
Speaker 3: Did you know like, oh, this is the fair, this is gonna no no, no, no, no no, no, nothing like that needed for for Susan.
Speaker 4: I mean, she was a big star and the first time I met her was with just Ridley and Susan, and I were going to go through the script and uh, you don't see if there's any little changes or anything we wanted to talk about. So we come in and I'm just like dazzled by her immediately, And I swear it was page one where she said, you know, my first ligne here. I think we should just cut it. We don't really need that. Yeah, yeah, I think you're right, we don't need that. And I was like, what just happened? Because there were a couple of little things that I wanted to talk about, but I had already planned the girliest possible ways to bring them up, like this one. I'll just pretend it's a joke, but maybe he'll say funny but interesting. Point so, and to see her move through the world throughout the entire shoot the way that she does. And I had just never been exposed to a woman who doesn't preface everything she says by this brob me a stupid idea and I maybe shouldn't even say this. Do you think we could possibly? And she doesn't doesn't do that. And people loved her, People love you, Everybody adored her. It wasn't well, we liked Gina a little better because she's really Mousey. It was it's like they love she says what she thinks, and it was so amazing. It was so life changing.
Speaker 1: I love hearing that so much. Your proximity to someone who's unwilling to people please or assume a role that is a little more accepted or were more versed in the platitudes that come before the ask or the demand is so interesting because I am absolutely a recovering people please her and Camila and I talked about this a lot. I don't know, if you follow horoscopes, maybe this will mean something to you, maybe it will mean nothing. But I am a Leo. She is Sagitarius, and this means lots of things for lots of different reasons that we don't need to bring into this conversation. Wait do you know what are you?
Speaker 4: Where is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Wait, what's Leo supposed to be? Like?
Speaker 1: Okay, go on, Jess, just honestly everything that you love, That's all you need to know. Everything.
Speaker 2: Leo answer, ever.
Speaker 1: Loyal, loving all the things to you, all the things. And Camilla and I get into this conversation a lot because the premise of the podcast is also our bigger community and people calling in and writing in and sending messages and asking for you know, our take on things, and a lot of the times I will comment it from like let's be kind and let's think about what someone else would think. And Camilla feels exactly the same way that I do, and she will be Sometimes I'm just like I'm a little blunt. Maybe the don't need to be socking kind. Maybe when someone's an asshole, or maybe when you need something, you say what you need and the fact that you are kind is enough. You don't need to act kind, be kind platitudes platitudes like you just are kind and then you ask for what you need. So when I hear you say that, I think that must have been inspiring for you to have a partner in an unpredictable situation that you saw working your business in a different way.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it was like a three month lesson a training camp or something. It was just astounding every day, you know, it was amazing.
Speaker 1: Obviously your scenes with mister brad Pitt, I know we have to chalk about in a hotel room separate from her. Although she does admonish you for your gullibility, not for Thelma's gullibility. Was was she there to to be so level headed when he was around.
Speaker 4: Will I mean only for the scene, only for the scenes where we were together, you know, we had him in the car or whatever. She was there.
Speaker 6: She wasn't there that day. No, No, Oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, because I have to say that scene. I mean, I get it. Everyone's like, oh my gosh. You know obviously, like I mean, there were so many You were a star that was already born, but your chemistry and what you all did together birthed just him as a star as well, and that was very well documented and acknowledged. I personally think that it's watching it as an actor and as a just audience member, it's one.
Speaker 7: Of the most playful and spirited and free and being sexy, fun so hot.
Speaker 1: Watching you two together and seeing all that it was, it was next level, and I think that it was. It was also that Selma was in this relationship that was so closed and so like hent up and positioned where she had to be a certain thing, and you knew there was so much more to her, and all of a sudden, like in this expression of relationship, in the chemistry between you and him, like this, just like it was explosive. Did it feel like that when you were doing it.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted to know. I'm like, is just going there because I need her to go?
Speaker 1: There wasn't as fun as it looked, Yes it was.
Speaker 4: It was really fun. It was really fun. And a lot of that playfulness came from from Brad. It's just so free. It's such an incredible actor. And and a lot of bits and things and and things were his were his idea in the movie. And uh, but but like in that scene we're I think we're doing handslapping and he he takes my ring off and puts it in a drink. My engagement ring. You know that was that was him, That was his idea.
Speaker 3: And yeah, Brad, I know, take all the rings, Brad, take all.
Speaker 1: Brad takes Yeah, off my engagement ring.
Speaker 2: I hate it, Like, give me a drink, Give me a drink.
Speaker 1: Stop taking off my engage M weird.
Speaker 2: You can't predict.
Speaker 3: What's so fun about saying chemistry like that is you really can't.
Speaker 2: You can't predict that kind of chemistry too.
Speaker 3: It's just it happens in the moment and it's just you can you can feel the heat off the screen.
Speaker 1: It was really important.
Speaker 4: It was very important. Really, I mean the fact that it's still you know, it's absolutely relevant and live. Oh yeah, it hasn't. You know. Almost every five years there's some something or other for the anniversary and there'll be a screening or something, and Susan and I'll go and we'll go at the end, we'll go still holds up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yes.
Speaker 4: We love it. It's I'm very lucky that I got to be a part of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you know you've I have a question. So you've been in so many iconic movies and done so much.
Speaker 2: If you could go back and.
Speaker 3: Refilm something again and reh have that experience again, what project would you pick?
Speaker 4: Well, I'll start by saying, I want I've wanted to do a sequel to every movie I've ever been in.
Speaker 6: Except except of It, Louise.
Speaker 2: I know you can't. That might not work.
Speaker 4: What's Heaven Like, What's Heaven Like? This thing happened. But so I'll preface that I would want to do or I would want to reshoot Lung, catch Good Night Over again and do all that stuff again, or do new you know, Sam Jackson and I always talk about that, we want to do a sequel to that, But yeah, I just I it's it's hard to give up characters that you really love, you know. I always wish that it was a series instead, that you can keep playing.
Speaker 1: I was fifteen when it came out, and I remember sitting in Century City and watching the movie and having my mind because there were so many things that I had not.
Speaker 2: I had not known.
Speaker 1: Could be true. I just it was probably like one of the first movies that awakened my idea of paradox, right, that you could be happy and sad at the same time, that you could be adventurous and also domesticated, that you could be you know, all these different things that seemed very much at odds with each other. And I definitely felt very much like I was just going into the world as a young woman and understanding my sexuality and not completely understanding how it would be understood by others, And so watching You Two was just an unbelievable education and a phenomenal ride to go on. That being said, the other film that I watched definitely upwards of five times was a league of their own, and again an incredible athlete with just this insane affability and this just heart of gold and this, you know, don't sell yourself so short with your with your with your platitudes and your kindness. You you create these characters that just like melt into us and we just instantly champion and feel for and love and understand again in that particular movie, your strength and your ability as an athlete. At the same time you understanding the box that you were checking for your country and you are wanting to go home to a husband and a family. And I just remember seeing it all and feeling it all. And now we're living in a time where, you know, we have real women's sports teams that are being actually funded and so you know, obviously the recent news that will Obey and babyger bought Angel City f CLA, and understanding how women's sports teams are actually not only existing, thriving and being making badass and awesome, but people are going to like the games are being visited and the merchandise is being bought. I'm curious or do you keep up with that? Are you interested in that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think it's exciting. I just read yesterday that women won more than half of the gold medals that Americans they.
Speaker 1: Did not like yeah, yeah, yeah they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, it's not about beating anybody, but just you know, being valued and being there. Like you said, it's incredible. So it's so inspiring. Yeah, it's really really, it's very cool.
Speaker 3: I remember I remember watching A League of Their Own for the first time because I loved that movie so much, and I remember thinking that I had not seen a sports movie about women before, and I was thinking about it before I got on the pod with you. Today, I can't think of a movie I watched before A League of Their Own that showed a group.
Speaker 2: Of women playing sports right, right, which.
Speaker 3: Is insane, by the way, because there are many many movies about men, right, There's so many, and.
Speaker 2: I could not it.
Speaker 3: Just I feel like you're always Gina, part of some sort of like breakthrough movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, the choice of a work that you do. I mean, that movie was really.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 2: It was just so inspiring. I had never seen that before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the press all said, because it was the number it still is the number one box office sports movie, a baseball movie, sorry, not sports movie, baseball movie. It's the number one baseball movie still. But all the press said, well, this will change everything. Now we're going to see so many female sports movie and I was just like, I can't wait. And then I think ten years later or sinthing Bennett Leffbreckham came out. Okay, but but it's that's not to say we haven't made progress, because we have, but it's been very slow since the days of Dolinoi's and lead of their own. As far as movies with strong female leads and more than one female, it's been it's been a slow But I have to say that some of the big action movies have changed things in some ways. You know, A Wonder Woman. Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, there's and there's so many actresses that I admire, I mean, Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Garner occupying characters in huge franchises that that mean the most and are so strong and powerful as is you know, obviously huge. By the way we were talking about we were talking about being an athlete, and we were talking about sports, and obviously we've all been inspired by the Olympics that are past. But is it genuinely true that you almost made the Olympics team as an archer?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, but I was, I was. I was a me finally Olympic truck.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, well, that's almost making it. To me that almost that.
Speaker 2: Is almost making the team. That's to me, that's all the team when you've won.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and things grow on the internet. So first it was she was a semifinal that said, now I actually won the gold, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I definitely you thought you want the gold.
Speaker 2: Our notes say you won the gold, but I.
Speaker 4: Took up I took up archery at forty one and uh my, well you were talking about how I like have to dive into things and stuff. And my archery coach claims that at the first lesson I said, how old is you ald? Due to the Olympics at archery. I'm sure I didn't say that. I think you probably said that probably the next the second lesson, maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not competitive at all.
Speaker 2: That's wild by the way, that that's my favorite.
Speaker 3: We in England because I'm from England, you know. In England that's part of our pea lesson. We will do archery, and it was always my favorite. I loved archery. Growing it's making me think I want to know what is too old myself because I've gotten gold on the brain. After that was archery.
Speaker 1: Did it turned into like just a hobby, was just something that we.
Speaker 4: So I, as much as people might believe it, I'm an athlete, I really wasn't. Growing up. I was so tall and gangling. I was sure that I was not good at anything, and I didn't want to try anything. But obviously I had to learn baseball for leega of their own, and I was kind of good at learning it, and uh. And then I had to learn like sword fighting and taekwondo and horseback riding ice skating for other movies that I did, and I was kind of good at learning all those, and I thought, I want to take up a sport in the real way. I'm not the movie version of it, because they can make you look good.
Speaker 6: No matter what, you know.
Speaker 4: I didn't have to actually hit home runs in other words, So I decided I'm going to find something that I can learn in my real life. So it happened that the Olympics in it led the world and there was a lot of coverags of archery, and I thought, oh, it's very dramatic, you know, and beautiful, and I thought that could be my sport. So I so I took it up, and I can't do anything like as a hobby. I have to be very careful when I get interested in because whatever it is, I will want to go to the Olympics in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and or win Oscars.
Speaker 3: So you know we need you to start break dancing then no, please, I will allow Gina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nope, no, you know we're not We're not even allowed.
Speaker 3: We're not even doing that in the Olympics for la anymore. By the way, I read that, it's out. The category is out.
Speaker 1: Guess what was an Olympic sport?
Speaker 2: Just when you missed it, It's gone viral.
Speaker 1: So here's my question, what activity or your hobby at present time makes you lose track of time? Like where are you? Just like I'm doing this thing and it's my happy place and or is it still archery?
Speaker 4: No, no, I haven't shocked for a little while. But but well, I'm actually illustrating a children's book that I wrote, and I'm spending all my days drawing and and it's really fun. But it's you know, once I love drawing, I do it all the time, but then now that it's a job, it's like maybe I have to do this Crossford puzzle FROs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so procrastina.
Speaker 4: All I do is procrastinate it all day and I start about two.
Speaker 6: But what I'm just done. I'm just done.
Speaker 4: I'm working on the cover, so I'm do we know?
Speaker 2: Are we allowed to know what it's about? Can you tease for listeners?
Speaker 4: It's called The Girl who was Too Big for the Page? And it's about a girl who lives in a book but she grows a little taller than the page and so now what is she gonna do? She doesn't fit anymore unless she it scrunches herself down.
Speaker 1: So I love this, This is great.
Speaker 2: I love that. I'll be buying this. Do you know?
Speaker 3: Tell us you have to tell everyone when it's out so we can we can.
Speaker 2: All go get it. We cannot leave.
Speaker 3: I will not let you and Davis leave without her just saying something about beetle Jess.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, what do you want?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: That script would have been really crazy. Were you in though when you read that script? Because I feel you had to have a vision for that.
Speaker 4: I was absolutely in. And then I had a meeting with Tim Burton about it, and and I told him I get this. I get this movie. I really do. This is gonna be incredible. I don't know. And I got cast And he told me later that because I said that he cast me because he felt like he didn't quite know what it was about somebody.
Speaker 2: He was like, on the set, she's gonna know, yeah, so incredible.
Speaker 6: Oh I was.
Speaker 1: I was all in, yeah, Oh my gosh, well I yeah. And with with the with September fast approaching and there being a new one, I mean, no crazy, I know, crazy crazy. If you could be friends with any of the characters that you've played, who would they be?
Speaker 4: WHOA, I don't nobody ever asked me that. We think probably all of them. I know I liked all of them.
Speaker 1: But like, if you could put one in your pocket or on speed dial or as you're like number one in your starred contacts, like who are you fast?
Speaker 4: Bhona Frat if she wasn't dead Thelma, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I I kind of I was hoping that'd be your answer.
Speaker 4: Muriel from Accidental Tourist, I would like to be friends with her.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, you know, I remember. It's so I don't know why, It's like it's a totally random and whatever, but I just remember again in the People people in the People, please her category, just always wanting to be liked and to sort of like get you know, whatever smarts that I had to offer the world to have them be you know, accepted and carried through with kindness and gentility and everything else that I had sort of felt like I needed to do. I remember that scene where Thelma they're on the road and his husband is on the phone with her and he sells, Thelma, you better get your butt back here. And I don't know why, but that whole like Thelma gets your butt back here thing, paste me off. It hit something in me that was like people pleaser cape off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh no.
Speaker 1: I am not. If I am Thelma or if I am Jessica, I am not getting my butt back there. A matter of fact, my butt is going to be so.
Speaker 2: Far away from you.
Speaker 3: I love thinking about this how you're like fifteen year old Jesin Capshaw in the movie that are being like, you.
Speaker 4: Get your butt back here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: You don't own me?
Speaker 4: That's where she's just narrow go yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it was also like the perfect name that Kelly Cory had the best names. I mean, the fact that you got to as Thelma talked to Darryl and Darryl had built a filma and film would get your butt back here. Oh my god, it's like, I.
Speaker 6: Don't even remember how.
Speaker 4: You were talking about being a people pleaser and everything. Then why were you such a wise ass with me?
Speaker 1: What I grew out of it? Evolution, baby, Gina, you got the two point?
Speaker 2: Oh wait, I have something to say about this.
Speaker 3: You Jessica picks and chooses the wise assery.
Speaker 4: Gina.
Speaker 3: We've been subjected to a capshaw that we shouldn't have. And I were part of an elite group, I wouldn't have.
Speaker 6: Love made my life. I wouldn't have a stip for the world.
Speaker 1: You guys get you get my truth, Sun, we get it.
Speaker 2: We get the truth.
Speaker 1: So you get my hard eye rolls and my wife. Everyone else thinks I'm so nice.
Speaker 6: If only they knew.
Speaker 2: They're fine out now because of the podcast. Gina, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: I just I don't I just want to sit and listen to every story that you have.
Speaker 2: And you're just such an icon.
Speaker 3: I had to say before you came on the show, everyone was super nervous. But because you're you, and the first thing I asked when I got to set was is she nice? And everyone was like genuinely obsessed with you and said that you were the nicest, most incredible person. And it was so true, and just thank you for coming on and gracing all of your amazing presence with us and the Call It crew.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, guy, all of those incredible compliments.
Speaker 6: All I have to say is.
Speaker 1: She rolled her eyes. I know it was just it was il We have an I roll eve, an I roll on board.
Speaker 6: That's the honor of you, baby.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I know it's so true. I'm the iroll queen. I love you, Gena Davis, thank you for coming.
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 6: My firm tofu.
Speaker 1: Why you know, maybe we go back to caramelized sweet Caro.
Speaker 2: Darling was good.
Speaker 1: It's by the way, just so you know it, because I looked back on our text that my first one was muppish little French, and I like to do my French accent on the show. Camilla really likes it.
Speaker 4: You called me that.
Speaker 1: I think it's my peach.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Oh, is that how bad Jessica's French accent?
Speaker 4: Was?
Speaker 2: You had no idea?
Speaker 1: I stand down.
Speaker 4: Oh you guys, thank you, we love you.
Speaker 2: Please come back anytime. You want both, all right, no big deal, Just a.
Speaker 1: Hollywood legend and call it what it is. Oh my god, just a Hollywood legend being legendary.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be starstruck on our pod, but it at there are moments there where I just was staring at her like a stalker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's how I felt a lot. But you know what I also really really enjoy and we talk about this a little bit. You know, when you're used to representing a film or a TV show or a project, there's a there's an element of safeguarding where you're you're talking about things in a way that just positively frames everything and it's it's it's lovely, it's fine, it's great, it's interesting, it's informative. And there could be this other thing, which is the bringing of an X factor, And Gina brings the X factor. She really lets you into how she thinks who she is, the story that you know, I think that some people or some other people might guard or whatever, because I think she's just got such a big heart and because she lives so purely and kindly that she has nothing to hide, and so her stories are just super funny and she's she reveals so much about herself and her experiences, and so I found that so inspiring when I was working with her and again tonight and bringing her to the podcast, I just I'm reminded of of how much I love that part of her.
Speaker 2: No, she's exactly how I remember her. She's so cool. All right, Call It crew.
Speaker 3: We want to hear from you as always, and we're gonna drop how you can contact us again in case you don't know, you can follow us on Instagram at call It what it Is and please dm us. You can follow us on TikTok at call It what it Is Pod. You can call us at eight three three seven call it or eight seven seven seven two two five five four eight and drop us a voicemail, or you can email us at call it at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Oh, call It crew. We would love you so much. And by the way, I would also love to know what about these episodes is speaking to you? What are the things that you love? What are the ones that you're like meh, Hey, we can be bold, we can live our lives out love. I'm open to it. But it's just so important because we hold we hold you all so close, and we are pouring through these dms and emails and just feel so lucky to have you showing up in your very best and very worst selves as we all are in life, and thank you so keep it coming and have a wonderful night. Should we call it, let's call it the end of the episode.