Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Saren.
Speaker 3: Hey, he's my favorite person who I do this show with? Elizabeth Duntan.
Speaker 2: How I'm good, I'm good. Listen. You know what's ridiculous I do?
Speaker 3: Okay? You know about my cinematic favorite route, Tom Cruise. Yeah right, I put emphasis on that my favorite road. So it's like it's continental because it's it's it should be. It's more than American. This is my love is it's expanding. I don't know why. It's much like the Mission Impossible series, it's international, Like like, why, Liza, why do I love Tom Cruise? Like I've told you before about the running I love that. I told you about how he had.
Speaker 2: Like pumps his little arms.
Speaker 3: Yeah run, why did you talk about that? Was you talking about that? He has a he had a fame that I told you about the knee injury. And if it wasn't for the knee injury wrestling, he wouldn't have become a multi billion dollar movie star. Yeah. Think of all the all those jobs he created because of that one knee injury. Well, I've got another thing for you, Elizabeth, and this is ridiculous. Tom Cruise, my cinematic guy. He's a scientologist now, you know, right, But he didn't always want to be a scientologist. But he and I have a commonality. We both thought about becoming Catholic priests.
Speaker 2: Oh he did, did he?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And you did? I did.
Speaker 3: I thought about joining the Seminary when I was a Jesuit. I was. I thought about it. I was like, I could totally be a priest. I could rocket to sit there and do like math and like you know, sit there in the castle. They're like, you don't do that anymore. You can't be a monk. I was like, I can't be like like my man Meerson. No, okay, probably could.
Speaker 2: There's probably some monk positions open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's very few of them, though I think the old guys would lock him down. Anyway. My point was he got still time, I got knocked off my path. You know how Tom Cruise got knocked off his path?
Speaker 2: El Ron Hubbard hit him with a volcano.
Speaker 3: No, he was at the Seminary. He took a step further night did he actually getting like he signed up? Was at the Seminary. But then all of a sudden, like his Thomas Cruise just jumped out and He's like, I gotta run, and he ran to a bar and he got drunk, and he got some drunk with his friends that when the priests saw him, they're like, this life aid for y'all. And then you got kicked out of the seminary and he became Tom Cruise.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So we had all these opportunities to not have Tom.
Speaker 3: Cruise exactly like the guy who invented the saxophone. He could not be stopped.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous, right, that is? You know what else is ridiculous? The state of our email inbox? Oh yeah, this is ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Can I say something up for up Top? Yeah, I'm sorry. I normal I would say you damn right, but I have to correct myself. I'm gonna use this moment to say I said you're my favorite person I do this show with, But really I do it with two people, you would, producer d I'm sorry, Producer. I didn't mean to like step on you. I met co host, but my brain goes so quick. I'm like, I do the show with mostly I'm at the talking part, but producer, do you do the talking? So forgive me.
Speaker 2: You're like, you're my favorite person who talks. That's not me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that I hear in my headset.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if listeners, if you hear a bleep earlier over person, is that's what happened.
Speaker 3: So please forget me. Producer.
Speaker 2: You have to be like a parent. I love you both equally. Yeah, I know I'm terrible to navigate this.
Speaker 3: I step on myself all the time.
Speaker 2: We always ask people to send us emails. We do, and we read those emails. Yes we do, but no one answers those emails.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it has a send function.
Speaker 2: No, I think so we broke it. I snapped that button off. We do read them, though, and then I have proof of that today, do you. I am going to go through the mail bag from the last few months.
Speaker 3: You actually brought a bag. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: And this this is from after the point where one of our interns, Breakston, accidentally deleted all the messages.
Speaker 3: I remember him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got rid of him so I can name names now. He was the worst Breakston. He was like a version of that classic Reddit post about that kid Kevin, and if you aren't familiar, google Reddit classic Kevin and then prepare to laugh so hard.
Speaker 3: You far.
Speaker 2: Right? Oh yeah, yeah this up.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: I like his parents didn't know what school he went to, and he went to a public school and they tried to pay tuition.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Breakston was almost like that. I made a cake one time to bring in for everyone here in HQ. Do you remember this? I think I do, And I put it on the counter in the kitchen and it was like, so cute, all these decorations case and Breakston put his grubby hands right into it and pulled a chunk out of center.
Speaker 3: Yea, he said he want the best part.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then we couldn't We couldn't let him answer the phones here because he always said, no, I hate that his hands like they'd be like, hello, oh can I speak with Dave Coustin. No, I hate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lake Breakston, stop that.
Speaker 2: So we were free of him. And now I've been forwarded most of the messages that we were able to recover, Thank God, I know. And here we are. So I've got some good messages and some good shorties that people have suggested. You know, the crimes that are great and ridiculous, but they don't have enough information to make a full exive, so like I can vamp for time, but not that much. So let's start with a message.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 2: This is from Jade in Manchester, UK.
Speaker 3: I know where that is. I know.
Speaker 2: I was just listening to your ice cream van episode and it reminded me of a story my father used to tell when we were kids in the early nineteen eighties. Living in Manchester, the local ice cream van was very popular with the parents. As well as selling ice cream for the kiddies, the ice cream man also had an illegal side gig of selling slash renting bootleg movie videos. My father told me the ice cream man would be one of the first people in line whenever a new movie came out at the cinema. He would then record the latest blockbuster Ghostbusters Indiana jonesleg make copies and sell them out of the van.
Speaker 3: Got bootlegs.
Speaker 2: They were always really dodgy and would have people coughing and standing up to to the toilet.
Speaker 3: In them in the crowd.
Speaker 2: It was the cheapest and quickest way for a family of five to see a new movie. Years later, my father also told me the ice cream man would also rent bootleg poorn videos to the dads, but I was never told how he got hold of that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, with the camera, what do you know that walking back and forth Jade was amazing.
Speaker 2: So bootleg movies, I think they're the best. And to buy them from an ice cream from Manchester. Perfect. So let's let's stay over on that side of the pond. I have a brit who pulled a pretty ridiculous crime. And this was recommended to us by Soren r Over in the UK. He just said, he said he was just from the UK General Ballpark. He didn't give us a county or city or what have you, just UK. So anyway, Soren, he tipped us off to a guy named Michael Fagan, a cursed name if ever there was. He was born. Michael Fagan was born in Clerkenwell, London, in nineteen forty eight. His dad was a safe cracker, like a cracker of safe, not a non dangerous cracker, and he.
Speaker 3: Was when he was thirty four MIAs.
Speaker 2: When he was thirty four, Michael broke into a place, not just a place, he broke into a palace. A palace, oh Buckingham palace, Oh and he did it twice in one month. What Yeah, so it check it out. It's early nineteen.
Speaker 3: Eighty two, Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: And it should be noted that security was pretty tight there, or it should have been, because when you think about it, we're talking about nineteen eighty two. I've been reading a really great book that I was tipped off to by a number one badass journalist and all around hilarious and brilliant guy, Zach Budrick. Yeah, he's an environmental reporter for The Hill. He referenced a book called There Will Be Fire. Oh yeah, the Ivory plot to blow up Margaret Thatcher. Fantastic book, really lucky. Yeah, I recommend it. I'm loving it anyway. So this nineteen eighty two, we're in the middle of the troubles the Buckingham Palace. You know, break in. You'd think that, like the rest of the country, the place would be a little long guard. You think they did, though, I mean they had revolving spikes and barbed wire at the top of the wall around the outside. Really, that doesn't stop Michael. The first time he gained entry by shimmying up a drain pipe and popping in a window.
Speaker 3: Okay, how do you get over the fence?
Speaker 2: I don't know. And he poked around for a little bit. He had legitimately he had cheese and crackers. Yeah, he went and got himself some cheese and crackers. Someone saw him and called security and so he hid and was undetected.
Speaker 3: He just broke in and had a snack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just wandered around. He gets away from a snack, yes, And he was trying to get out, and he set the alarm off and then security thought it was just a glitch in the system, so they ignored it. They just shut it off. So we wound up hanging out a little bit more and then.
Speaker 3: He left, took a little nap.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Fast forward a few days, He's hanging out at his local Irish pub and it comes on TV that the Queen fellow. Yeah, well, Sagan, I know I'm not making any guesses. It comes on TV that the Queen is staying at Buckingham Palace over the weekend. The flag is up over the palace. You can guess how this fun fact went down at the pub. Yes, so Michael bets these pals that he's drinking with five pounds each that he could get into the Queen's bedroom that night.
Speaker 3: Do they know he's done this?
Speaker 2: No, So seven people at the bar and each of them gave him five pounds. They're like, you're on, there's no kidding. So he gets to Buckingham Palace. He's like, later, chaps off he goes. He gets to Buckingham Palace, he climbs that twenty foot spiked wall. And this time he didn't just get into like the public area of the palace where he had done before. He went into the area where the royal family actually lived and ate and slept and just like lazed about. Wow, he got into the royal apartment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to their like chambers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he grabs a bottle of wine, starts strolling around.
Speaker 3: So I went to Prince Andrew's place. Go on.
Speaker 2: So this was said to be the biggest breach of security in the modern history of the English world.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that this would be massively embarrassing for them.
Speaker 2: He did the old drain piped a window trick again, and then he made it onto the balcony of a bedroom and there's there are more than two hundred bedrooms in Buckingham House with the Queen. Well, he had a one and two hundred chance of selecting a very special bedroom. Yeah, and he hit the jackpie. He got onto the balcony of Queen a in this bedroom. He goes in. Queen's asleep and according to him, like she sleeps sitting up in a four poster bed.
Speaker 3: Get out of it.
Speaker 2: Her eyes. Her eyes are covered with a sleeping mask, so she may have her eyes open like a.
Speaker 3: Horse, Elizabeth. I am still stuck with her sleeping sitting up.
Speaker 2: Maybe she broke her collar bone.
Speaker 3: Okay, but what So he comes in and there's the Queen and she's sitting up like.
Speaker 2: With a sleeping mass. Think she was snoring, but probably, but she couldn't see who he was. She just hears something. She does hear him though, Yeah, So he creeps over to the bed and he sits at the end of it. She she wakes up. She's like, is that you Philip Way? And so he like clears his throat and he does this super posh English accent. Uh huh, No, it's me Michael, And so she just freaks out.
Speaker 3: She's just like, why put on the name because.
Speaker 2: It's fun and cups So he like she rips off hersking was like ah, she's positive as curtains for her.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, she's got an irishman sitting on the end of her bread in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 2: He's full of beard. He has love in his heart, agape love.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's like a bed warmer.
Speaker 2: He wanted to soothe her soul. He says to her, quote relaxed, sister, you don't have to worry. I'm Irish. Like at this point she's probably just peeing. Like that's it. That is the punchline of the century. So she says, what do you want from me?
Speaker 3: Okay, negotiate?
Speaker 2: She says, all I want is a kiss?
Speaker 3: What? Yeah, he wants a kiss from the queen.
Speaker 2: Yikes?
Speaker 3: Why peopleways want to kiss from queen?
Speaker 2: What does she say?
Speaker 3: What did she say?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you in like a thick Brooklyn accent, she said, do you know who I am? I'm the Queen of England.
Speaker 3: She name checks herself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, She's like, p s yeah, I'm the queen. Like do you have the right room where you're trying to find you.
Speaker 3: Know totally, I I own everything here, you know.
Speaker 2: That right Ann's places down the hall and so he's too. He says, quote, I don't care who you are. I'm Michael Fagan from Ireland and I'm here for a kiss, like if I'm one hundred percent sure I'm about to die.
Speaker 3: Yeah where he's a kind of an Irish poet, like, give me a kiss.
Speaker 2: Now He's like, no, kiss a shooter in the post.
Speaker 3: Apocalyptic movie and he's like, oh did the beat?
Speaker 2: So she would say no, and then he'd try to convince her, and this went on for a long time.
Speaker 3: Kidding she can't scream or do anything. She's no bell to ring.
Speaker 2: Now there is? She She picks up the phone next to the bed. Okay, guns, no one answers for answers, he gets impatient. He said, quote, for God's sake, woman, would you give me a kiss? And then the queen, according to him, said quote, I shouldn't even be massaging your back, Like wait, what.
Speaker 3: What are you are you making?
Speaker 2: I'm missing something in this that what I was like, does the queen insist on bodyworks on someone? She's like, I haven't even rubbed your back yet. You think I'm gonna kiss you anyway? So Michael he told this story when he was arrested, but then he took it all back into a twenty twelve interview with The Independent.
Speaker 3: Yes, because of course the Queen's not gonna yeah.
Speaker 2: So he said in that interview that as soon as he appeared in the room, she cut out to go get help. She called the palace switchboard twice to ask for the police, but no one showed up. That part it did happen. So she went back to the room, used her bedside alarm bell and then no one shows up.
Speaker 3: T which he leaves the bedroom and then comes back. God has to come back to the bedroom. She realized that's where her alarm is.
Speaker 2: Her like, you know what, I've fallen and I can't get yeah, exactly, life alert. So she then runs back out in the hall, she sees a maid who's just like doo.
Speaker 3: Do do twos. It's like a clapper like clap off.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and so the maid she yells out and the maid comes to help her, and the queen and the maid usher Michael quote into a nearby pantry on the pretext of supplying him with the cigarette. What they're like, well, you know what you need to smoke?
Speaker 3: Total, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: I got a case of Benson and hedges the roll. Yeah, And so let's just go on the pantry. There was supposed to be an armed guard outside of her bedroom.
Speaker 3: Door all night long, I would assume.
Speaker 2: But this all happened during a shift change. What, yeah, you can have. There was this guy, the dooty footman, Paul Wybrew. He was out walking them corgies when this all went down. Uh huh, taking him out for a piddle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He gets back, he sees this whole messoudn't be Yeah, runs to help. They're pushing Michael into the pantry, but he still wants more time with the queen. So why Brew he stalls Michael, He's like, quote all right, but let her get dressed first. That's what he tells them.
Speaker 3: They're so British about it.
Speaker 2: And then the footman asked Michael if he wants a drink, and Michael says, quote yes, please, I'll have a scotch.
Speaker 3: Like they don't want to embarrass the men, Like I don't want to. Let's let's get you a smoke and a drink.
Speaker 2: This is how Michael tells it.
Speaker 3: Quote, Wow, nobody's swinging. Nobody's like you don't need to get here?
Speaker 2: What oh? He would have been Yeah. In in modern time, I don't know anyway. This is how he tells it. Quote the footman came and said, cool, right, you look like you need to drink. He took me to the Queen's pantry across the landing, where I presume she cooks her baked beans and toast and whatever, and takes a bottle of famous Grouse from the shelf and pours me a glass of whiskey.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: I mean, hello, J Yeah, I am, I'm so judging. Michael told The Independent that he really needed to find a bathroom. You know, he'd had a bunch of paints at the at the Puppy's been drinking on that one long night. But like he said, everything was poorly marked. Quote. I found rooms saying Diana's room, Charles's room. They all had names on them. But I couldn't find a door which said WC. All I found were some bins with quote corky food written on them. I was breaking my neck to go to the toilet. What do I do? Pee on the carpet? So I had to pee in the corky food?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? He's like, I couldn't find an umbrella, stand a peon.
Speaker 2: Finally security shows up, then the cops, then more security. Michael gets arrested.
Speaker 3: Finally somebody actually shows up like hey, let's get rid of the and.
Speaker 2: They gently escored him up. He got sentenced to two years in jail, but he only served a few months and then they let him out for good behavior. And legend has it that the queen sent him a couple of letters while he was in prison.
Speaker 3: No, I do not believe that.
Speaker 2: I don't know that's what they said.
Speaker 3: What Yeah, the actual which is amazed.
Speaker 2: So when he got out, you.
Speaker 3: Think that they actually had like a real conversation and maybe she was like, you know what, I took your advice and I thought about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe he influenced all sorts of.
Speaker 3: You know, he's working on trucks, like so maybe like they like they were talking about like, oh, you know, I was working on this, uh you know lander over the other day. Maybe they kissed maybe and then yeah, and then the maid was like make them kiss.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's Charles's real dad, like you know, a retcon. Anyway, So he gets out, he goes back home to dairy in Northern Ireland. Years later, he said he didn't regret the trespassing.
Speaker 3: I bet not.
Speaker 2: What did he say about this episode in his life?
Speaker 3: I made fifteen pounds.
Speaker 2: It's brought me adversity, but I can laugh about it, and that's the main thing.
Speaker 3: So irish, I love that way to go. That's incredible.
Speaker 4: Is this what inspired the now disgraced Morrissey to sing? So I broke into the palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner and the queen is dead?
Speaker 2: Perhaps?
Speaker 3: I don't wow, deep pull producer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually could be.
Speaker 3: That was like top of mind for me as soon as you started. I did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently this whole episode was depicted in that show The Crown, but I don't watch it.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, I don't watch The Crown. I'm not really a royal. My sister loves the Royals shot on Mags, but I personally, you know me, it's all osmotic process of like, oh, I've heard about this, I've seen that.
Speaker 2: Right right, that's not a great story, Thank you, Soren. Yeah, excellent, excellent tip. Let's take a break. I'm gonna go pee in the corky food and you get a glass of scotch and when we come back.
Speaker 3: Hey, Dave, you want to give me a kiss.
Speaker 2: More from the mail bag. Hello, Saren.
Speaker 3: Done pretty good?
Speaker 2: I'm good. I peed in the corky food.
Speaker 3: You look relaxed that so I was about to say, that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be my new you know, we had what was it, the Cincinnati ice cream truck. My other new euphemism is oh, she's been peeing in the corky food.
Speaker 3: Uhbeth.
Speaker 2: I got more listener mail and suggestions. I do need to note that if you sent something and we don't talk about it today, and that's gonna be a lot of people because we get a lot of mail, well, please do not have hurt feelings. I just want that out there. Yes, Like you know, we never want to slight anyone or ignore them. There's a lot to juggle and we're not always very good at it, but you know, just keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: Whatever. Definitely and definitely deeply appreciate any emails readers. Oh my god, completely, you guys are some funny people.
Speaker 2: Here's a note that we got. Hello. First off, thank you for the podcast. It's my favorite and always gives me an interesting story to tell my sister. Second, I have a story on my own. It's not too illegal, I think, but hopefully it's still interesting. Before the pandemic, my sister, Mom and I visited my grandmother living in Russia. We traveled to Moscow and went through a lot of museums, one of which was the Diamond Fund, which housed the crowns, scepters, and other jewels of the Russian royal families. The only thing is traveling in Russia as a foreign tourist is a different experience than traveling as a Russian tourist. The line ticket tickets to see this museum for regular tourists was incredibly long outdoors and not even opened the whole business day. My mom read about another ticket office specifically for foreigners. We found the spot, which was a nice indoor office with plenty of empty room, but we had to keep up the foreign act. My sister and I speak English natively, so we were instructed to approach and ask for tickets for all four of us. The woman at the front friendly started this process, and then my grandma passed her Russian retirement card as she's used to in case that gives her a discount, so the jig was up. The woman spoke to my mom in Russian with a hushed angry tone. This office is only for foreigners. My mom beckoned to us, replying, they're foreigners. You aren't going to separate them from us, are you. Meanwhile, I stood there trying to look clueless, as if I had no idea what they were saying, trying to save the act, and thankfully the woman right, the woman sold us the tickets, though begrudgingly. I don't think you can really consider this a con It wasn't even completely successful, but I sure felt like a con artist in the moment. Finally, I have a story suggestion. Search up the Morris Worm. It's a nineteen eighty eight internet virus that shot off ten percent of all computers connected to the Internet, and it was all because of an accident. Still, its creator was credited as the first person to be convicted under the Federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. And that's from Alexia RK.
Speaker 3: No, thank you, Alexia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alexia, I love a little bit of ticket soft scamming, Like, oh yeah, I support it, I mean, and I really love the wall me part of it, like you gotta sell the performance. Well done, Alexia. So what's the Morris Worm? Uh?
Speaker 3: It's a actually nineteen eighty eight, Elizabeth, Okay, what is the Morris worm?
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, Well, I looked into it, look at me, look at me, and I can tell you about it. November two, nineteen eighty eight, eight thirty pm. I don't know the times, that's it. And so this was in the early days of the Internet, as she told us, when it connected colleges and or like military and governments systems. This was one year before the quote Worldwide Web was invented. So at this point, again just government research. So you know that, like Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT sh yes, So computers on the network started like seizing up, going black on this on this fateful day. Quote, we are currently under attack, wrote a concerned student at UC Berkeley in an email later that night, very dramatic. Six thousand of the sixty thousand computers connected to the Internet at that point were hit. Whoa yeah, and this this wasn't a virus. A virus needs software to host on a device. This was a computer worm and those can just spread on their own, which is so gross. So I don't know you asked me how.
Speaker 3: I just really wanted to see your face whatever.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. You're like, oh, well, it's I don't know. It worms.
Speaker 3: It wormed around mostly and it just works.
Speaker 2: Wah, inch worm, inchworm? How do you do? So it wasn't just Berkeley. All the big dogs got hit. I'm talking Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, NASA, University of Chicago, I don't know, and the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, right in your backyard.
Speaker 2: It didn't strike every computer on the network. It only hit those that ran a certain version of the is it eunix operating because people might be U, N I X Y, you don't know. It's okay whatever, eunix. But it was still enough to wreck shop and it snuck in through an email, and it was designed to stay hidden, so it's just worming around. It didn't damage or destroy files. It just slowed things down to like molasses speed. And keep in mind they didn't have the like supercomputer processing levels that sure, yeah, definitely, things were already slow, and you know they they didn't have like the mainframes and the matrix and the hackathons and whatnot, yes, please talk, so nothing would process or send and the U users were stumped as to like how to find the thing, and remove it. Some some places they just went ahead and wiped their systems.
Speaker 3: On the start fresh new computers.
Speaker 2: They're like, control all, delete, boom everything. Others yeah, others just unplugged from the network and they're like, we can't risk this, and they were offline for a week working. It was frustrating, but it was also really expensive. Losses started out at like one hundred thousand dollars and then went into the millions. Oh really, yeah, I mean because no one could sell anything on eBay. It's terrible. So there were those who spent every waking hour trying to fix it, like, you know, just a lot of coffee, a lot of like hunched over a.
Speaker 3: Screen, computer ratchets.
Speaker 2: Everyone wearing like weird earth tones and oatmeal colors. You know that there were those who, you know, probably like me, who wanted to know who was to blame, who's the purp? So right after the worm went live, the purp spoke, Yeah, but not publicly and not with identification. The hacker had been tinkering with his creation, honing it, like playing around and thinking about what a god he would be if he were to release this worm. Release the worm, that's what he said. And he released it saren, he released what happened? Then he felt really really bad. He felt terrible.
Speaker 3: He's like, why did I do this? It's like, oh, I'm ashamed.
Speaker 2: I am become death destroyer of worlds. He's just, you know, the bag of a gida everywhere. He called two friends. He's like, hello, Michelle, guess what And he told him what he did. He confessed and he's like, got totally out of control. I thought it would be cool and now it's not cool. And he asked a friend to send an anonymous message across the internet on his behalf, telling everyone how sorry he was and explaining how to get rid of the program.
Speaker 3: Okay, that'd be the important part.
Speaker 2: Right, here's the problem. No one could get messages on the network because it is stupid worm. Right, so they couldn't get his stupid message. They could send postcard or like they still did telegrams Western Union.
Speaker 3: Yeah they still do today.
Speaker 2: I know, well, Elizabeth, do you know? So? Uh? The other friend that he talked to was like, forget this bro. He called the New York Times. Wow, he left an anonymous tip.
Speaker 3: He didn't even hold out to get paid. Now he's just like I was going to get this off my hands.
Speaker 2: I am so enraged with Yeah, he was like this, someone needs to put a stop to this.
Speaker 3: He doesn't want to call the police. He's like, I'll call the Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's like, the police aren't going to understand what I'm talking. I don't know. I'm just I'm just position. So he told the paper that he knew who built the program.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: And he did explain that the creator didn't mean to do harm and that it was just this experiment and that it was actually so infectious, not due to the guy's ace programming, but because there was an error in the programming.
Speaker 3: Replicating he had put.
Speaker 2: Like a zero to put one, and then.
Speaker 3: He couldn't even fix it.
Speaker 2: He could Yeah, He's like, oh no, oops. And so the hacker oops his way to infamy.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And when he left the tip, the source referred to the worm's author by his initials RTM. Okay, Well, so the New York Times was back then full of very smart people and.
Speaker 3: Only sixty thousand. We have to check on these.
Speaker 2: Universales, right, So they took the information and they deduced that the rogue hacker programmer had to be twenty three year old Cornell University graduate student Robert Tappan Morris, Oh there it is. Meanwhile, the worms cruising through the internet quickly, crashing computers left and right. Everything's freezing, and who is this Morris Zarin.
Speaker 3: Do we know that he was intentionally trying to create the worm's functions or because you said that it was kind of a mistake the functionality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like the respectively, I could create a worm that would that would like really like slow everything down.
Speaker 3: On so he intentionally wanted to.
Speaker 2: And then it's as if like I was like, I bet I can make like a big firecracker that would go off, and then instead of putting like an M a D and then like slide a stick of dynamite, I bet that's gonna be great. And then oh so he this Morris cat right, Harvard graduate in computer science. His dad was an early innovator at Bell Labs.
Speaker 3: Oh wow Central.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he grew up surrounded by computers and networking in mainframes and database the cybers and whatnot. The matrix. Don't forget the matrix.
Speaker 3: It comes later, but yeah, no, it was then.
Speaker 2: At Harvard Morris made a name for himself with his text skills. He was like Scooter Computer and mister Chips. Yeah, total b b bops, so many bes. And he was particularly adept with Unix. And that's a code, and that's all I know about it. We're going to just leave it lest it's like the O G Hipster code. It's the drip coffee of code. I have no idea what I'm talking about anyway. So he went to Harvard and then he got into grad school at Cornell, future alma mater of Andy Bernard, and so he this this right. He was known for his technological prowess, especially in Unix. And he's you know, so he's waiting for the academic year to begin. He did some tinkerings his bored He built a program spread slowly and secretly across the Internet.
Speaker 3: How do I make digital cancer?
Speaker 2: I am hoping that, as he was like tep tap tap tap on his Amiga computer, that at some point I'm hoping that at some point in the process he leaned back in his desk chair and did like the full throated volume building Villain's lab. Oh yeah, I hope he dident.
Speaker 3: Let's se him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he wanted to release his little darling into the world, like me, writing inside jokes into my show outlines that only Sarah TACIONI will understand that was his. It was for him.
Speaker 3: Are me pouring salmon oil into someone's air conditioning of their cars?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Like come this summer, this is gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: So Morris is a smart puppy little fella. He didn't release the worm from his computer at home or at Harvard or at Cornell. He stuck it to those pricks at MI T and he hacked into their system and sent it from there. So it wasn't that much of a mistake. It wasn't that much of a noopsy, doesn't at all. He's like, boom, how do you like them apples?
Speaker 3: That bay.
Speaker 2: Of course, the FBI got involved, and of course they pretty quickly figured out it was Morris, And so all of a sudden, he's got guys and suits on his doorstep, not the Kuza, and more of them are interviewing his friends, which they're calling his associates, which they're like, I am cool. All of a sudden, and they're seizing his computers and they're decrypting his files and so so much evidence and it's all incriminating. This was a new frontier, this hacking, Like what law.
Speaker 3: Had he I did not ask, but did they even have laws?
Speaker 2: Because people hadn't even heard the word internet, daren. I didn't hear that word until twenty fourteen.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if they even come up with like, oh, this is like you know, I don't know, trespassing or like electronics.
Speaker 2: Check it out. Two years before he unleashed his worm. Yeah, Congress passed the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of nineteen eighty six. I am not kidding you. They saw so many radio shack commercials and they're like this.
Speaker 3: We got to make some staws here.
Speaker 2: So this outlawed unauthorized access to protected computers.
Speaker 3: They watched Rocky Ford, they went nuts, they.
Speaker 2: Welled war games. Yeah, so like gatcha Morris, we got a law. He was charged in nineteen eighty nine. In nineteen ninety, he was found guilty, and that made him the first person convicted under the nineteen eighty six law.
Speaker 3: Ow.
Speaker 2: Interesting didn't do any time.
Speaker 3: No, no, this is like I'm not root form, just surprised.
Speaker 2: He got a fine, probation and four hundred hours of community service. Okay, and then I feel like we're at the beginning of Sneak at this.
Speaker 3: Point, Yeah, one of your favorite films.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, in my top five. I love that movie so much. I think I have to watch it again though. But what he did do is wake people up to the dangers lurking on the Internet. Right after the worm attack the Department of Defense, they created the country's first computer emergency Response team, and then developers started creating intrusion detection software and so on.
Speaker 3: This was like early MacAfee kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. And then on the dark side of the coin, the Morris Worm inspired a new generation of hackers, and some say, on a quiet night, you can still hear the haunting screams of the worm as it makes his way through the tubes and caverns of the digital frontier.
Speaker 3: Is that what that is?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the matrix, brot hear. Let's hear from a listener. Let's shift gears a little bit. Do you remember Hondo. He's the rude dude who his house got broken into and he wanted to remind us all that property crime still hurts.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, Yeah, it was a important message.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we were letting him and the other listeners know that we totally miserate, and we really only cheer on burglars who steal from the violently rich. Yes, and every day stuck, every day working folks like you and me and Hondo don't deserve these sorts of things. Anyway, Hondo reached out again. Here it is. Hey guys, it's Hondo again. Thanks for the shout out a few weeks ago. It meant a lot. You want to hear something ridiculous. While we were cleaning up the mess where the burglars broke into the safe, we found a receipt from a local supermarket. The receipt is for a scratcher redemption a couple of weeks before the break in. It has the date, time, store location, even the cashier's name on it. I'm one hundred percent sure that the receipt does not belong to myself or any of my family. LAPD has done nothing with the lead, though, but I thought it was funny that the burglar dropped a receipt with all the information to get a space on camera and perhaps a license plate in the parking lot. I went to the store and I asked to see the footage, but the manager said they need a police order. Hopefully the detective will get off his button do something. But unfortunately this kind of crime in LA is not very important to them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's pretty rampid. I had people break into security. I had one of those personal storage units. Yeah yeah, and there's a little like gap at the top of the wall, and so it's the person in the in the storage unit next to mine broke through the top of that and then pulled everything they would squeeze they could squeeze through. But it turns out what they could squeeze through was like fifteen guitars. Wait, yeah they were my guitars there, my cousin guitars. Yeah, well my cousin, my cousin SKA bands guitars. But yes, like so he lost, like and I went and I contacted the LAPD. I showed them all the stuff I had, all these pictures. They have all of the cameras down in the self storage place and they're like, yeah, man, I don't know what to tell you. If you checked the eBay, maybe you can get lucky and like what buy some of them back, And that was their best advice.
Speaker 2: So frustrating, and it happens so often, like they have.
Speaker 3: The information I feel for you, Hondo.
Speaker 2: I know someone who had their bike stolen and it had an air tag on it and you could track it to like an apartment building, and they told the cops, and the cops were like, I can't really, you know, we don't know. They had all these reasons they couldn't knock on the door. So the person got a group of fools and went down there and taught themselves, which is not smart. It depends on who you posse. You need at least like three four furries.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I was as close as he could get. He was like, you got a Mophead.
Speaker 2: Back to Honda. He continues, Anyway, I heard an interesting story recently and thought you guys would do a great job of telling it because it's funny. The story of Lothar malscat an artist who was supposed to restore medieval murals on churches in Nazi Germany. Instead, he had to recreate the murals entirely. He made the mistake of leaving wild American turkeys done by another artist in a mural, and the Nazis said it was proof that the German race had discovered the New World first. And after the war he wanted credit for faking the Beloved and Beautiful Murals, but no one believed him, so he sued himself to get the credit. There's much more to the story, involving more artists and crime, but I've written a long enough email. I'd love to hear you guys cover the story. Keep up the good work. Thanks. So I am going to look into loth Art and if I can't work up an entire episode for this cat, then I'm going to try and put together some sort of art forger grab bag. You know I love art forgers. So thank you for that. Honda. One quick email before we take a break. Hi, Elizabeth, I know you hate the emails, so sorry. So not that you would ever watched nine one one, but do you think they've gone too far with the cruiseh disaster. Also, I finally checked out the website and it's epic. Love you guys, Mikayla. I don't even know where to begin when talking about the latest season of nine to one one. Mikayla, I mean, for real, it's so unhinged and so campy. It so there's like the Cruise Ship three parter was nuts, nothing made sense, it was pirates, and then it was like a lady from an old episode having an affair, and then it was a hurricane, and then LA Fire Department performed a dangerous sea rescue in international waters. It was just so much, and that's why I love the show. It's all just too much Eddie causing that store clerk to go nuts and impersonate his dead ex wife. I just can't. And I've recently been introduced to another show full of crimes that I missed the first time around. I'm watching it now and I'm currently on i think season three, a little show called Scandal. Scandal walked so nine to one one could run. Yeah, it's the wildest nonsensical telenovela and I can't stop watching it. And apparently there are only a dozen people in Washington, d C. And they're all plotting for and against them with each other. Let's pause, MICHAELA. You can take a commercial break two and two and all that be right back. This just in a bunch of rude dudes. Hepped us to this update to one of our most iconic stories. I'm talking about Democracy manifest Yes. Yes, it was on October eleventh, nineteen ninety one that the cameras captured a guy protesting his innocence from dining and dashing as police escorted him from the China Sea restaurant, Iconic, Iconic Australian. He did his whole speech about his succulent Chinese meal and someone touching his penis and is great, Well, there's been a.
Speaker 3: Reunion between him and the guy who touched him.
Speaker 2: So Jack Carlson was the guy, and the arresting officer is a guy named Stole Watt. Stole Watt, Yeah, not pole pot, stole stole so like like like.
Speaker 3: A mink stole, like stalls.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, star wars, Yes, in the snow. So those two they get together. They went back to that very same Brisbane restaurant. Decades later, they enjoyed a succulent Chinese meal together.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you know video of that rant has been watched millions and millions of times, that has been memed to death And this was the first time they spoke since becoming viral sensations. Yeah, So the press joined them as they sat down and broke noodles together. They said that they couldn't believe how notorious and well known the video had he come. Jack told ABC News Breakfast that the whole skipping out on meals or like paying was stolen credit cards? Thing was quote a case of mistaken identity. It was no, he said, quote, I was released. I wasn't the person they thought I was.
Speaker 3: They went with the shaggy defense, just Australia style.
Speaker 2: It wasn't night and so good, thank you. And then the claim that someone you know, like touched on his Jenny's that was quote probably made up, according to Jack.
Speaker 3: We all heard it, I know.
Speaker 2: But then Stole he was like quote. Jack has since said that he exaggerated that one.
Speaker 3: Oh, so he didn't. The moment he decided to go.
Speaker 2: For it, he gave quite the performance and mc patrick reporters asked him the classic question about his acting. What was your motivation?
Speaker 3: Did they?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And he said he didn't remember. But what like Stole, he's chatting the cops chattier. He's like, quote, I think he would have been a great actor. I must say Jack would have made a good detective in a different line of work.
Speaker 3: Good detective.
Speaker 2: I guess the criteria were, you don't know.
Speaker 3: So the two got a marvelous voice. I could listen to it all day.
Speaker 2: He has a presence, So.
Speaker 3: That's not a detective. You're talking about maybe a radio announcer.
Speaker 2: I don't know who's to say anyway, So they get together and the reason was to unveil plans for a documentary about that fateful day Wow and Jack's troubled life. And it's called The Man Who Ate a Succulent Chinese Meal. That's the name of the came down a mountain I know, right, And it's going to come out early twenty twenty five. It's going to delve into Jack's troubled past. Before the arrest, he said that most of his life since the age of seven had been spent in institutions, homes, prisons. He'd been a criminal and escape from jail three times. I love it going on.
Speaker 3: Good for him.
Speaker 2: An Australian show.
Speaker 3: Told Your Freedom with his motivation, I sense that.
Speaker 2: Exactly, guy, that's his motivation. An Australian show called Earshot recently covered his crazy life, including his first escape from jail in nineteen sixty six, the Bogo Road jail and he jumped in order to escape. He jumped from a train on the way to the court hearing. I know he'd been busted for breaking and entering, but at the restaurant for the press off. Jack said that there's one escape that he's quote pretty proud of. Apparently he impersonated a detective and walked out of his court cell before trial. On another.
Speaker 3: He knows how we walk, how we talk.
Speaker 2: He'd been arrested for he broke into these cars and they found all the tools on him total. Anyway, he walks right out. He's had a lot of health challenges of late, and I think he's come forward in order to get some help with fundraisers and such. Yeah. Remember there was controversy as to his real identity. There was that artist called Jack Kay whose real name was supposed to be Cecil George Edwards. Cecil George Edwards. I think that's him, but the story's still really muddy. Anyway, that's the update. We got a great email from a listener named Kit. It begins, I run an out patient's psychiatry practice. Someone broke into our office and it was totally ridiculous. Close your eyes, oh snaps, eren kid wants you to picture it.
Speaker 3: Oh kid, bring it. Eyes are closed.
Speaker 2: It's two am and you are a half eaten Costco sized bag of checks picks just hanging out in a cabinet with some fellow snackis next to a first aid kit in the kitchenette of an office suite shared by a group of mental health providers. Suddenly, the piece is disturbed by a loud crash. It is the sound of someone's smashing down the back door, an emergency exit that apparently is not connected to any sort of alarm. For the next few minutes, you hear the thieves rummaging around each office. Some f bombs are dropped as soon as they realize there's literally nothing valuable in any of the offices you've been in. Some of them pretty much just couches, coffee tables, and inspirational wall art, like the cat dangling from a branch with the caption hang in there. I'll tell you. One thief yells to the other, I found one of those machines that squeeze your arm. The other yells back, I saw a projector in the conference room. Go grab it. I'm gonna look in the kitchen. You're blinded by light as the cabinet door swings open. The next thing you know, you're tossed in a sack with the first aid kit, a couple kansas soup, a box of tissues, the projector, San's power cord, and a blood pressure cuff. I am dying, Zaren, and I'm worried that Kit is going to steal my jibs.
Speaker 3: Seriously amazing.
Speaker 2: That was so amazing. The email continues. The thing that makes this crime even more ridiculous is that one of the providers left their office keys on the desk and the thieves stole them. I guess they wanted to let themselves back in if they got hungry for another can of soup. All told, the burglars made off with about sixty seven dollars of loot. It cost about fifteen hundred dollars to fix the back door. Because the stolen keys included the key to the front door of the building. We had to change that lock and make a new front door key for everyone in the building. Locksmith bill twenty six hundred dollars. How's that for ridiculous? Love the show. Keep bringing us the hilariously ridiculous Kit.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Kit.
Speaker 2: That was a legend.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you served it up.
Speaker 2: That's totally ridiculous. I'm always blown away by like low stakes crimes, and I suppose that's a sign of serious desperation or drunken or drunken, but it's still ridiculous and it's so frustrating with those repair bills. That's that's the unspoken part of time.
Speaker 3: That's the thing I regret most about my adolescent crimes is how much damage I did to people who would then have to pay for it. I didn't think obviously, I didn't think about it at the time. If I'm from graffiti to like, hey, let's you know, boat across that lake and break into that cabin or whatever we came up with as an idea, I regretted people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there you maya culpa. I have another update. Remember your nuns, not the Belgian ones, but the Texas ones. Oh yeah, fighting the good fight. O fallen in love with the priest. So the bishop had accused Mother Girlock the mother Superior in Austin. Yeah, she was like sexting and drugs. She admitted to breaking her vow of chastity on two occasions, but she said that she only spoke to the priest by phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't know.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of heavy breathing. I was not in my right mind, she said. Even the nune can fall, which like yeah, you're human, get it. I'm not going to start in on that. Like, let's just leave it lay where Jesus flaying it is, I like to say, because I can go on a rant anyway. The bishop released photos of Weed inside the monastery that he said he got the pictures from a maintenance.
Speaker 3: Her and the is in the photos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the nuns lawyer is like hash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like a little plastic bong like it's a terrible novelty from the headshop. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh so she mother girl like she was hospitalized in November twenty twenty two for seizures. She's taken pain medication, Like, was that medication the good er? Well, it's nobody's business but the sisters. She uses a wheelchair and a feeding tube, so let's just let the lady do her thing. The Vatican initially gave the bishop authority over the nuns as part of his land grab to get his grubby paws on the monastery. He went to fire Mother girlock nuns wouldn't budge. Bishop said he was going to excommunicate him. Okay, so the Vatican stepped in, Yes they did, and the nuns now have a new boss. Yeah, oversight will now belong to the Association of Christ the King in the United States of America. Oh and that's the association that oversees all Carmelite monasteries, and the Vatican is the one that decreed it. So the bishop's out of a picture.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Nice right, here's a good email. Here we hear, we go email. I am a fan of your podcast. I started listening recently from the beginning and it's been a riot to listen to. I feel like you might get a kick out of the shenanigans that have become commonplace for my university town. Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, gained the reputation of a party school in two thousand and five when during homecoming celebrations, a car was flipped and burned during a large street party.
Speaker 3: Oh down.
Speaker 2: Each year since then has been a spectacle of some sort, with twenty sixteen being my absolute favorite, when three people were charged after a police horse was slapped the pandemic front end or back. You'll find out the pandemic changed homecoming in twenty twenty one to a virtual event, so faux coming happened on Saint Patrick's Day and caused students at a street party to cause a roof to collapse. I'm sure there's so much more that I'm forgetting, which I have no doubt you could hunt down if you're interested. Stuff like students swinging from power lines. It's usually pretty ridiculous. I was prompted to send this email when I hosted a clothing exchange and someone brought a Queen's Homecoming Volunteer two thousand and five ball cap, Big Fan, Thanks, Aaron. I was intrigued by the horse slapping. Let me fill you in. I think I think we all are so twenty sixteen, like Aaron said, Now, you would usually think that I'd be outraged at a crime involving slapping and animals.
Speaker 3: Why I tried to apologize for my laugh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: This one has something I really love in it. Buckle up, FRIENDO. Okay, Three people, as she said, were charged after slapping Murnie, a Kingston, Ontario police horse, and that during that homecoming celebration, Murnie was a new recruit, all bright eyed and silky made. In all the present information, the officer riding Murnie is referred to as her partner, which I love so much it hurts. Oh yeah, so Mernie got slapped the first time at two fifty five pm, and then again five minutes later, and then a third time around three thirty pm, and a woman was detained and then released. At the scene, two guys were arrested and they were charged with causing injury to a law enforcement animal.
Speaker 3: Oh so they really tried to slap it hard.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. You know how, I love when wild animals turn on people who are trying to keep them in captivity. Like the lady who had a chimp in her suburban home and it ripped her face off.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Do it a good I love it. So the horse here, the victim took back some agency. There's a video and it's glorious. The woman who was detained to the scene, she like runs up behind the horse. But the horse is beautiful.
Speaker 3: But I hope she didn't hit the back end.
Speaker 2: Oh, it gives the rump a big old slap. Oh she's funny. Now you've been around horses. Yeah, common sense, Yeah, this action lacks a sort of common sense. The horse does what a horse would and should do. It gives old girl a swift backwards kick and sends her tumbling. It is a thing of glorious beauty. I have watched it so many times. You know how seeing people get hurt in videos or in real life gives me those shooting pains, mostly my legs.
Speaker 3: Its Yeah huh.
Speaker 2: We still haven't figured out what that's all about. But this I felt no pain. Really, I felt power, because you know what, the summer of Dark Elizabeth continues.
Speaker 3: It's so fired.
Speaker 2: After the incident and the video showing up on Instagram, Constable Steve Coopman told Global News quote, it could have been a much worse situation. The animal still kept its composure. Luckily the animal didn't bolt and the officer wasn't armed. And yeah, bless oh yeah, because just go right open. Okay, here's an email that's a little different. Hello, Elizabeth and zaren So. I started listening to Ridiculous Crime about a year ago, and only started listening from the beginning a few months ago. It has come to my attention that we know a weird amount about y'all, but have some very large gaps missing. Me and a friend I listen with have started referring to anything we know about your and y'all's lives has since been coined ridiculous crime lore. Please enlighten us and fill in a few of my blanks by answering some or none or all. Pick your poison of my various questions.
Speaker 3: Oh they got real questions?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm going to read you the questions here and we'll pick some. Sure, Elizabeth, how did you get into podcasting?
Speaker 3: Great question?
Speaker 2: How did y'all meet? It's obvious you knew each other before, But for how long and how well? Is there actually a wall full of story ideas? Why did you stop asking us to confess to ridiculous crimes at the end of every episode? Who writes the show credits? What's your favorite type of hot sauce?
Speaker 5: Say?
Speaker 2: I was a dog in sunglasses? How would I get an intern position? What jobs have you had in the past? I know Zaren was a journalist and Elizabeth was a teacher and author and for a short time work today's hardware. How old are you? Guys? You don't sound old at all, but Elizabeth has talked about cassette tapes and it makes me wonder, how, Elizabeth, how old is your Goodreads author profile? Because I know you now live in California?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 2: If you ever do end up reading this email. Thank you for your time, Brent.
Speaker 3: Those are great questions, Brent.
Speaker 2: Those are good I can tell you about I'm locked out of my good Reads author profile. They don't believe that I'm the author, of course, and they don't let me. I do all their little thing of prove it up, and they keep saying sorry, it doesn't and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Speaker 3: That's weird.
Speaker 2: So whatever, I hate good Reads for a lot of reasons. Let's see. So is there a wall full of story ideas?
Speaker 3: There is the big boards we called it literally is a corkboard too. I have a giant corkboard that I maintained for Elizabeth because she doesn't like poking things into the corkboards. I'm like, I'll take care of it. So anyway, it's a big.
Speaker 2: Board question writing. So I write the cards.
Speaker 3: Much better handwriting. And then Dave's got best taste in the stories. So between the three of us we generally kind of figure out.
Speaker 2: Some fox cards the index cards. Yes, I'm sorry I should describe that subject on it.
Speaker 3: So there has some like mention of either like a recommendation from you guys, or possibly just like a three word phrase that Elizabeth came up with and like some fever dream and then wrote down and the interns like gave it to us. We put on the big board.
Speaker 2: So you have some on the here at headquarters, on the big board that will never get made.
Speaker 3: Oh, like Nigerian dick theft.
Speaker 2: Nigerian dick theft. It's just fun to have up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we just keep that one up there, like, oh, we'll get that there. It is never doing that.
Speaker 2: Why why did we stop asking people to confess to crimes? I think it was twofold.
Speaker 3: We didn't want to encourage people to do criminality and some of them.
Speaker 2: Are like, that's not really crime. Yeah, it was just it just doesn't work it out.
Speaker 3: And sad stories, a lot of sad stories.
Speaker 2: Who writes the show credits? We take turns telling the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Elizabeth writes hers, and I write, Elizabeth, what.
Speaker 2: Is your favorite type of hot sauce?
Speaker 3: Daring, stolen? What's yours? Elizabeth?
Speaker 2: Tiger sauce? I like tiger.
Speaker 3: I think, in all honesty, I'm pretty boring because the I still love the taste of mckilney's and everything. I just compared to that, So really That is my favorite. The Maclanies like the old school tabasco sauce.
Speaker 2: Okay, I walked into the kitchen at headquarters the other day and you didn't see me, and I watched you grind half a container of pepper onto a sand. Love pepper so he gets more pepper?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah no, but I love like. I had to learn how to say pimiento when I was traveling in Colombia because they don't keep it on the table. I'm like, what does this just salt? Just salt? Like, where's my pimiento?
Speaker 2: I stood there in the in the doorway and I was like, I hope he doesn't see me. This is creepy.
Speaker 3: It's always in the air. Can smell it in the air. When I'm dune. I grind so much pepper.
Speaker 2: It's I've never seen a person eat that much pepper.
Speaker 3: People like, you know, when you go to a place where they have like actual pepper grinder and you have to ask for it. Now they do always the joke with the cheese and there, oh I got to grind the cheese. I'm bad for the pepper grinder. But the person's like, I didn't know it was going to work out today, sir, what about the vinegar peppers? Do you like to use that for hot sauce? That's kind of my thing for barbecue. You have much better taste than I do, do you. Well, it's it depends on what I'm eating.
Speaker 4: Like they as has been revealed on the show previously, that Red's hot sauce, which comes in a couple of kinds, I really like as a kind of all purpose uh trulula for Mexican food, sure, and those like you know, there's like a bottle, a clear bottle of peppers with covered in vinegar, and that's the best for barbecue for sure.
Speaker 2: Definitely the best for barbecue. I agree with that. If you're a dog in sunglasses and you want an intern position, then you just submit your resume to our head intern Mickey.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we do need a pawprint, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then as far as other interns, don't you don't want It's the worst job in the world.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of butts sniffing.
Speaker 2: The aren't the dug So that I have one more message, Do we have any other questions?
Speaker 3: Some other ones?
Speaker 2: How did we meet a long time ago?
Speaker 3: I'm not telling you that. Next question, how old.
Speaker 2: Are we a lady?
Speaker 3: Never tell yes? Next question I like skipping.
Speaker 2: What jobs have you had in the past, is Aaron you were a journalist?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been a lot of things as a journalist. Have been a house spanner. I've delivered kosher pizzas, I've delivered Chinese food. I have gone around and tried to sell TV shows to people. I've done all sort of been an ad man for a while. Yeah, I've been a bunch of stuff. What about you, Elizabeth?
Speaker 2: You know, drifter, smoker, hobo, nickel collector and saleswoman exactly, exactly America's Sweetheart.
Speaker 3: That's lasting title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had that job for a while.
Speaker 3: You're what america sweetheart emeritus?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly a Maratha. How did I get into podcasting?
Speaker 3: The show opened the door and I walked right in. That's where we record men.
Speaker 2: I told them. I told them that my name was something else. I was like, Hi, my name's Hillary Clinton. I'm here for my podcast, and they bought it. Yeah, and then here I am.
Speaker 3: I was I was actually woken up from induced coma, and they said, do you know what a podcast is? And when I said no, then they gave me.
Speaker 2: One exactly see that's how it works. I think that's it. That's all the story. Yeah, that's good on that one. So let me give you one last message, Zarah and Elizabeth and Dave. I know that no one, not even the poor poor interns, will check this email, but I have no social media, so this is my only option to reach out to you all. I just wanted to send a quick thank you message to all of you for the wonderful show you all produced. As a physical therapist, I spend all day focused on my patients and their complex medical, physical, and mental situations. I very much appreciate your show as a part of my unwinding and self care when I get home. I'm not so sure how much my cat's appreciate my snorting laughs, but they perk up at your voices. I very much appreciate your contributions to the world via Ridiculous Crime. I learned so much, laugh heartily, and regain my faith in humanity when I listen to you all, and wish y'all were my best friends. Thank you so much. Cc oh we hear this that the show is a relief from the garbage around us in a way to unwind and like connect with it, and I want to say that the feeling is one hundred percent mutual.
Speaker 3: We do it for you.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because like the insanity that is ridiculous crime keeps us sane. I can't properly explain to you what it means to connect with people I've never met like this, And like, sometimes I have a tough time of things, like we all do, and when I come into headquarters and I get to sit with my friends and tell stories and escape, it is the greatest feeling in the world. And so knowing that that great feeling makes other people feel good goly. And I don't usually think of it beyond that, right like I think of us we make it. But then we hear from listeners who have us in their lives twice a week, and it's a little overwhelming, you know. And people all over the world in places I would only dream of visiting, like I'm looking at you, Cleveland, they hear us, and they and they enjoy being part of it, you know, And they are there. The listeners are totally a part of this. They're part of the conversation. So when we get messages like this, my heart gets full. And that's something very necessary in this world totally.
Speaker 3: My little grinch heart just grew to twelve sizes. So thank you, honestly, I mean it means the world to us because we do this for you guys. You know obviously there there is you know, iHeart and stuff like we have to. We have people going, hey, you guys do stuff, but we really do it for you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. That's all makes it so.
Speaker 3: Happy to come in here and tell stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that we are all together in this. We're totally together, is so, Zaren. What's your ridiculous takeaway?
Speaker 3: My ridiculous takeaway, Elizabeth, thank you for asking is I think we need to tell more stories about crime, evolve, living legends who are still around so we can hear updates. I like this here and the updates.
Speaker 2: I love the updates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing against like the history ones. I love those two. But being able to be able to hear from like succulent Chinese meal man is awesome.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what my ridiculous takeaway is. Thank you for asking me.
Speaker 3: I didn't really care, but okay, fine, okay, I'm trying to take on your callous attitude.
Speaker 2: It feels good, dark Elizabeth. Kids coming from a job with her picture or there picture it. That's all I have. Oh, Dave, do we have a talk back?
Speaker 3: We sure do? Oh God, I love je. Hi.
Speaker 5: What you guys do is amazing and I think you guys couldn't really keep it up.
Speaker 2: I was watching them on your past episode. Reason it was really good.
Speaker 5: No, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's very nice. I thought there was more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know. Yeah, what a sweet voice, though.
Speaker 2: Dave's like, then she threatened your life, so I cult it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's the last half.
Speaker 2: You can find us online at ridiculous Crime dot com. We're also at ridiculous Crime on Twitter and Instagram. Obviously. You can email us at ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com leave a talkback on the iHeart app reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnette, produced and edited by Keeper of the Keeper of the Emails Dave Kusten, starring annals Rucker as Judith. Research is by Slapper of Horse Slappers, Marisa Brown and nineteen eighties radio shack hacker Andrea Song Sharp and Tear. The theme song is by Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton, two men who enjoy a succulent Chinese meal. Post wardrobe is provided by Botany five Hun Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are Ben. This meeting could have been an email Bowlin and Noel. This email could have been a rock opera.
Speaker 5: Brown Ridicous Crime, Say It One More Time Piquious Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts. My heart Radio visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.