Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Wednesday, May sixth, and this Honta virus horror story above a border cruise ship, I should say, is getting scarier by the moment. It's not just concerned now concerns about the people who are on that ship. There are concerns that some people who might have been infected got off and not exactly sure where they are. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Robes. I was stuttering and fumbling through that intro because this story, to be quite honest with you, we have written it several times this morning and had to keep rewriting it because it has been changing by the moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a developing story that is changing by the moment. Here are the latest developments. So last night when we all went to bed, Spain said, it is our moral obligation, it is our humanitarian obligation to welcome the ship to the Canary Islands. We will have the facilities available to screen these passengers, treat those who might be sickened or infected, and we'll take this on. Well, just moments ago, the Canary Islands are rejecting now the docking of that cruise ship. So there is now a back and forth as to where this ship is headed. Right now it is stranded, and we now know that at least three people have been evacuated just moments ago from this ship. But there are a lot of questions, as you pointed out.
Speaker 1: So folks, horse, we want to let you know. If you've been following us, you know we have been traveling and in the background you might hear some wins, some seagulls, and yes, some waves. Those waves are to the Atlantic Ocean and far far north and to the east of where we are is where this ship is robed and where it's been for several days. Now, this was a reminder here, folks, supposed to be about a month long tour that these people were taking on this adventure of a life sign bucket list. I think they were saying, type of cruise ship. Now we have three dead and another three we know sickened, suspected hunt of virus. A reminder their robes of what this is is usually found in rodents. Now that gets us caught up.
Speaker 2: We're actually four seconds, so it's total of seven. Now, yeah, the numbers keep changing.
Speaker 1: So robes. This gets us caught up on this ship that now nobody wants it to dock, and there's very good reason for that, and maybe even more so now Robes because at first we were told, yes, it's so rare that this thing gets passed from human to human. Well they're giving us a heads up now they believe that that nightmare is coming true.
Speaker 3: Yes, they do believe.
Speaker 2: This is the Andes strain of the haunt of virus that can and this is a rare, rare form of this virus or strain of this virus that allows for human to human contact. Because they now believe, and look, this is a preliminary assessment of what's going on, that the virus was brought onto the ship by someone who was traveling in Argentina. So I actually have a timeline, because it's been very confusing the information.
Speaker 3: We now know.
Speaker 2: There's someone in the hospital in South Africa in intensive care. There is someone in a hospital in Switzerland who is now being treated with hauntavirus, and we have three now en route to be treated as well. So you've got sickened passengers now around the world, and some of them traveled, at least those who died.
Speaker 3: Two of them traveled with.
Speaker 2: People who might be god knows where on planet Earth. Here is the timeline that we know. On April first, this boat left Argentina. On April eleventh, a passenger died on board. That was the seventy year old man. They did not know how he died, They did not know why he died. So on April twenty fourth they removed his body in Saint Helena and his wife, that sixty nine year old woman, accompanied him and accompanied his body. Now we're learning she's a Dutch national as well, that she became unwell.
Speaker 3: We heard she collapsed in the airport.
Speaker 2: Now we're understanding she actually got on a plane from Saint Helena to Johannesburg and she died there. So think about all the contract tracing that's now going on from anyone who is on that plane with her from Saint Helena to Johannesburg. Then we know on May second, a German passenger on the board on board the ship died, and then four others have been sickened since, and we don't have the dates of them, but they have all seemingly now been evacuated just moments ago from the ship. So as it stands right now, the rest of the one hundred and fifty plus passengers and crew are quarantined on that ship and they have nowhere to go, nowhere to dock. And we here's the other thing we understand now that they are sending two infectious disease physicians from the Netherlands to go onto the ship to help try and quarantine and evaluate and determine what's going on there. So they actually have two infectious disease experts being air lifted basically to the ship to stay with the ship until it figures out where to dock.
Speaker 1: This is an incredible story. This isn't what's happening aboard the ship is one thing. But robes, we have seen enough movies, We have seen enough scenarios just in our lifetimes and stories we've covered robes. What is the absolute disaster scenario? Oftentimes when they're talking about trying to track something, it's when somebody gets on a plane. You get on a plane full of how many another two hundred three hundred people? Now we have to go track down those two hundred and three hundred and see where they are and see who they've been in touch with, and then we have to actually monitor those people for how long?
Speaker 3: Robes two months.
Speaker 2: So here's the other big issue, this hauntavirus and this strain. They say the incubation period before you start exhibiting symptoms can be anywhere from one week to eight weeks, and that means that people not just on board that ship are likely going to be stranded, so to speak, or at least quarantined, I guess would be the better word for eight weeks. All this contact tracing that's now going on, and by the way, we've pointed this out, but this is all happening on one hand, thankfully in one of the remotest parts of the world. But on the other hand, at least for the folks who have now potentially been exposed, it's deeply concerning because they don't have the facilities and the ability to handle and tackle a situation that could have significant worldwide implications. We're hearing from the World Health Organization. Oh, the risk of spreading is low. Okay, if you're on that ship, if you're in one of those ports, if you're on.
Speaker 3: That plane, how are you feeling right about now?
Speaker 1: And how does it go? Robes? It's one thing. The couple is one thing. You can see why they had close intimate contact. Why a crew member and that one was a doctor is.
Speaker 2: Sick well doctor on board this cruise ship is actually described as critically ill. He has just been airlifted now and is heading now for treatment. There are there's another British crew member who is ill and they have a German female passenger who is now exhibiting symptoms too, So they were all just airlifted. This is scary as hell because they believe if that one seventy year old man who died, if he is the one who brought it on board, then every single other person because by the way they have set up mouse traps, they have mouse traps on these cruise ships.
Speaker 3: They have not found any dead mice.
Speaker 2: They have not found any evidence that it came from the ship. They believe right now it came from a passenger who was traveling through Argentina.
Speaker 1: Tell of the timeline again, of it left win and he died when.
Speaker 2: So April first, it left Argentina. He died on April eleventh. That just shows you the incubation period.
Speaker 1: But babe, that's a week and a half of hanging out with everybody else.
Speaker 2: Correct, And his wife didn't die until April twenty four that's incorrect.
Speaker 3: So it took two weeks later.
Speaker 2: That's in Core now, and now you've got this German passenger who just fell ill and now they're evacuating her. So we just you don't know. That's why all of these folks are being quarantined, and that is why no one in the region wants this ship to dock. I just thought it was so interesting Spain put out this, the Ministry of Health put out this big statement last night, and it's it's interesting because they were talking about how this was their moral obligation, how this was their humanitarian obligation, and made a big point to say this was their duty to do so and basically instructed the Canary Islands to take this on. And the Canary Islands now have just said we are not doing this, and they have requested an urgent meeting with this Spanish Prime minister to discuss the issue because they don't want these folks coming onto their islands.
Speaker 1: Who this is such a we're not familiar with this. I mean, we hear it hauntavirus. We heard it not too long ago when about Gene Hackman's wife she died of it. But roll, this is not something we're familiar with, and this is scary. We don't know, and again a reminder not even that there's not a cure, that's not even clear on how to treat this damp thing.
Speaker 2: There's no treatment, there's no cure. All they can do is basically it's kind of like the flu monitor.
Speaker 3: You give you fluids.
Speaker 2: And if your lungs fill up with your own bodily fluids, they can put you on a ventilator.
Speaker 3: But short of that they really can't do.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like COVID in that sense where initially when it seemed so fatal, it was so scary because there was no cure. There's no vaccine. That is exactly what this hauntavirus is posing right now. And to read this morning literally like moments before this recording that suddenly there's a crew member, oh sorry, a passenger who is sick, and Swiss officials are saying that it has been confirmed that this Swiss passenger being treated in Zurich right now. A man has been confirmed has tested positive for the Andes variant of the virus and is in isolation right now, and his wife who was with him on the trip, is there. Hasn't shown any haunt of virus symptoms, but is self isolating as a precaution. In Switzerland. He must have left from a port and just went home because he wasn't feeling.
Speaker 1: Well, just on a what a plane?
Speaker 2: Yes, christ So now, but the Swiss government is saying, or like telling their folks there's currently no danger to the Swiss population.
Speaker 3: Look, this is like.
Speaker 2: We've seen this movie and we've lived through part of this with coronavirus. This is scary, and we're hearing that there's a low risk of spread. But we're starting to now I'd like to just now hear that there is someone who just got positively confirmed is testing for the hantavirus, the human to human virus strain is in Switzerland right now.
Speaker 3: Where did that come from?
Speaker 1: And they maybe they didn't know, but they were telling us something very different because this story seemed like it was no threat to the world. Quite frankly, it's in a part of the world most people never even get to out there, the Millley Ocean, isolated on a ship. That's what initially we thought the danger was just to those folks roves. In two days, we have learned that now not one, not two, several people from that ship got on planes. How would you be feeling if you want one of those planes?
Speaker 3: Not good at all.
Speaker 1: Rope Several got on planes and ended up in various parts of the world.
Speaker 2: And there's an eight week incubation period. Potentially it could be anywhere from one week to eight weeks. So it's not even like, okay, well I feel fine now, but how about next week?
Speaker 3: How about the week after that?
Speaker 1: It's scary somebody else somewhere possibly could have gotten off as well and hasn't gotten sick yet.
Speaker 2: That is why why, and that is why they don't want anyone to come or to disembark from that ship and come into their community.
Speaker 3: It makes total sense, all right. When we come back.
Speaker 2: There is actually a travel blogger on board that cruise ship right now. We heard directly from him, giving us a little insight as to what those passengers are feeling like aboard this floating Haunt of Virus cruise ship. Welcome back everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ, where we are talking about a floating nightmare. The Haunt of Virus Cruise Ship is what it's being dubbed, basically, because that's what it is.
Speaker 1: What are we going to go with, because this story is going to be around for a while, so we need to agree on what name we're gonna call this. Is it a floating nightmare?
Speaker 2: I think it's a floating nightmare. I mean, what else? How how else would you describe this?
Speaker 1: It is I don't know, sick ship.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's an understatement. It's a deadly virus cruise ship. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's one that I would never want to be on for sure. And look you the travel blogger who has posted a few things to Instagram.
Speaker 3: He's been very emotional.
Speaker 2: He cried through his vlog, so to speak, because it was a video log, but he broke down and there's no other way to describe it. His name is Jake Ross Marrin and he has put a few updates because they're all in their cabins, and I know that's that's a tough spot, not just the fact that you're quarantine and you're stuck somewhere isolated, but you don't know when you're getting out. You don't know if you've been infected, and that's got to be scary.
Speaker 1: You're sitting around waiting to possibly get sick.
Speaker 3: And with not just oh I might get sick, I might die.
Speaker 1: What did you tell me?
Speaker 3: Their death rate on the forty percent?
Speaker 2: And look, if you look at the numbers right now, the latest numbers are there are seven people we know have been infected, or three of them have died.
Speaker 3: That's forty percent, is it not.
Speaker 2: I'm not great with math, but three point five would be fifty percent, So that seems right on.
Speaker 3: With what scientists have said.
Speaker 2: This disease kills four out of ten people infected.
Speaker 1: Do what do we know about the third death?
Speaker 3: Not much, just that it's a German citizen.
Speaker 1: Okay. The other two the couple, they were elderly in their seventies I.
Speaker 2: Think sixty nine and seventy, both from the Netherlands. And then the other person who died was a German national.
Speaker 3: That's what we know.
Speaker 2: But those who've been sickened are German, British, Dutch, and I think that's it right, German, British and Dutch. We know seventeen Americans are on board the ship. We did get that number from the World Health Organization.
Speaker 1: Guy in Switzerland, is he Swiss?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's Swiss. I knew there was another nationality, Swiss. So yes, you have four different countries. Now you have people, they're citizens, who have either died or have been sickened by this hauntavirus, and several of them have returned home. And now we have one person in fighting for his life in Johannesburg who's a British national, and that the woman, the wife of the initial man, the patient zero, she died in Johannesburg. And look, we initial reports were that she collapsed in the airport and was taken to a hospital. I didn't realize she collapsed in an airport in Johannesburg after getting off a plane.
Speaker 1: I'm confused by something. Who else is in Johannesburg that's being.
Speaker 3: Treated a British national?
Speaker 1: How did he get there?
Speaker 4: Unclear's a lot going on in Johannesburg right now. Yeah, it's disturbing. It is disturbing. But this blogger, oh, I wanted to give you his verbatim because he talked a little bit about what it's like to be on board that ship right now, and again he said this all through tears.
Speaker 2: He said, what's happening right now is very real for all of us here. We're not just a story, We're not just headlines. We're people, people with families, with lives, with people waiting for us at home. There is a lot of uncertainty and that is the hardest part. All we want right now is to feel safe, to have clarity, and to get home.
Speaker 3: Sounded an American.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, yeah, So one of seventeen Americans that we know were on that ship. And yes, they may be on that ship for eight weeks. They may be floating at sea, they may be just getting folks either at doctors and as we mentioned, infectious disease.
Speaker 3: Doctors are coming to board that ship.
Speaker 2: But even the people we saw going out to inspect were in full hasmat gear. Do you saw those images right, like full outbreak gear that you see from the movies as they go on to this ship. But man, this is a floating disaster. This is a floating nightmare. And let's just hope that this can be contained and handled with the absolute scientific precision it needs to be for this not to go beyond because this was a strain of a virus that was truly isolated. I'm telling you, I've been in USHUEA is this It's called the bottom of the Earth. It's the last civilized populated city in the world at the bottom of our globe, so it was in an incredibly remote location. If that strain of this virus has just now reached other parts of this world, that is scary and we will of course be following this story as it develops, and it's been developing quite a bit. With that, everyone, thank you for listening to us. I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes. We'll talk to you soon.