Speaker 1: You know, it occurred to me that as we're still getting to know each other, the two of us, that there's very personal questions about you and me backwards, going both ways that I have yet to ask, and I think I'm going to go just straight, very personal right now. Okay, something if our relationship is to grow, our friendship is to grow, I need to know.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's normally the first thing I ask any first date, any first anything, any first friendship. So I'm surprised we haven't covered this, right, Okay, favorite superhero favorite superheroes.
Speaker 3: We're not going to like this answer, and this might actually finish why our friendship. I am not really into superheroes, kind of that's okay.
Speaker 1: You can still have a favorite if you're not into them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get.
Speaker 3: I mean I've always liked I I loved Catwoman and Batman.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, a superhero, she's a villain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know she Selena Kyle has a very interesting backstory. Plus the whole relationship with Bruce. Yes, kind of Italian thing. Yeah, so yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Guess that would kind of be it.
Speaker 3: But I honestly, and that was what I when we get into the movie, I've just it was I had.
Speaker 1: In the Superheroes either. I'm sorry, I'm covering everything behind me. I can't see everything.
Speaker 2: I kept thinking, I'm mad. Will's gonna hate me after this movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, I didn't know what that game in uh in A was.
Speaker 4: So you're talking about back to quit that this is really gonna destroy our you know, It's okay. I'm just putting you in a different friend category. That's all right, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I win just you're a wonderful friend. I just you won't be a superhero friend. You won't be a comic con friend.
Speaker 3: That's okay, Oh I wouldn't. I mean, I do love big Bank theory. I feel like I learned quite a bit from there.
Speaker 1: Oh god, and all your superhero Oh my god, it's all about big Bank, the question.
Speaker 2: Of comic con and all of that. But honestly, it's just not my jam. It isn't okay fair enough.
Speaker 1: Well, you got two little kids, so you might have to get into all of it.
Speaker 2: I know who is yours.
Speaker 1: Batman's always been.
Speaker 2: To beat, Okay, Yeah, I think he's probably the best.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also I'm a big fan of the fact that he's just a guy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's got a lot of money, and he uses a lot of gadgets and he does all that kind of stuff. But he's just a man. He has no superpowers, yes, he is, just has the will to make things better, right, So I think that that's and a guy that.
Speaker 2: Can make all those cool gadgets for him.
Speaker 1: That's exactly you know what you strike me as you strike me as a Booster Gold fan, what exactly exactly I'm gonna now. It's so funny because half of the audience just went what and half just went, oh, okay, I get it. Oh oh yeah, I have to go check it out. But either way, I'm telling you it's great anyway. Yes, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis and the high schools and musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilfordlle and I'm Sabrina Brian Well.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Earth Protectors. Listening very closely to the following instructions because we're getting into two thousand's family superhero comedy, up, Up and away. This is an important one, believe it or not, folks, because this predates Pixars, The Incredibles, Sky High, and The Thunderman's This tcom is a bit of a trailblazer for many many reasons, though not super well received with its what we can only call dismal twenty seven percent rotten Tomato score and lack of inclusion on any of the lists, and for some reasons I disagree with that. We'll get into it. Airing originally on January twenty second, two thousand, fresh off the fear of Y two K, which this movie appears to reflect a little bit. It is produced by Heartbreak Productions, which is run by Paula Hart, the mom of Melissa Joan Hart. Paula is a friend and I texted her last night who not to go back to a conversation we were having before we actually started recording. Paula right now, well for a lot of the years, she lives in Paris, and she is one of the welcomers, greets and helpers at the Olympics right now, so she is doing a whole bunch of stuff there and sending up pictures in her outfit and everything. And when I said to her, Hey, we're doing up up in a way, she just sent back all these emojis like this is so great. So Paula's great, Melissa's.
Speaker 2: Great, that's rad, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: This is that's right. The Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Sabrina's Mom. This is her movie. A lot of people don't know that Paula Hart was an EP of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Her story is absolutely incredible. She's the person who initially secured the rights for her daughter to star in Sabrina the Teenage Witch. And she's told us the stor story before. She literally walked in to the people that owned the rights, which I think was the Archie comic people, and ended up walking out securing the rights for a dollar. Wow thing. Ever, then she went on to produce around two dozen TV movies. Did you did you know that Mel's mom? That Melissa's mom. I had no idea that your company never Yeah, that is she was involved in Clarissa and involved then in Sabrina and all of Melissa's stuff. And Melissa and I are doing a film together and Paula is one of the producers of the film and I are doing su I Love. She was a Juggernaut and was.
Speaker 2: She a part of it before Melissa got the.
Speaker 1: Role Sabrina the teenage witch.
Speaker 2: No, Clarissa, No, I believe that Sabria.
Speaker 1: I think mel got the role as a kid, because that's when when she was on Clarissa is when she and I dated, Okay, so I think that was I mean she was thirteen or fourteen, we were both teenage. Yeah, we were both Nickelodeon kids. So I think that is when I believe she got the role. And then Paula got more involved in behind the scenes and then found Sabrina and then just was off to the races by right.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, cool, But we'll.
Speaker 1: Get deeper into that aspect later. But yes, this is the first true Disney production with superheroes. Nowadays, with the company owning Marvel, the MCU is basically their bread and butter, and it's hard to think of a time when they weren't in the comic book business. But humble beginnings are right here with Up, Up and Away, which is even you know, kind of strange that again, this seems to be one of their first forays. Why it's hard to believe that for that reason alone, it's not on some of some people's best list, because hey, you know this is this is important for Disney.
Speaker 3: You know, we have so many different requests. I haven't even seen this come oh across our table as a request to do.
Speaker 1: No, and I never heard of it. Not to jump ahead, but I'd never heard of it. Even mentions some of future Disney huge superheroes such as Spider Man and Mary Jane and people like that are all mentioned in this movie, pre them having anything to do with Disney. Right if you want to watch along. By the way, the movie is currently streaming on Disney Plus, so it's just sitting there for you to watch now or you know, when we're done talking. But only you can fight forest fires, and only you can make that decision. This is all possible because the movie's director and star. But first you just mentioned that nobody had had talked about whether we should do this or not. Had you heard of Up Up and a Way?
Speaker 2: No, not at all, I owe neither.
Speaker 3: I was surprised when it was like, oh, this is a superhero Okay, I have never heard of a dcon that had superheroes in it, so that was interesting.
Speaker 1: I hadn't either. And the funny part about it is for the first time in a very long while, the title makes perfect sense. Right, Finally, this is not thirteenth Year or susieq. No, this is saying what it is. We didn't know what it was, but it's saying what it is, which is great. So before we throw soccer ball in the air and pretend to know how to fly, why don't we get into this. Anom, the only normal member of a superpowered family, feels left out and confused until he has a chance to use a talent of his own to save everyone around him. Early thoughts, what did you think?
Speaker 2: I was worried that I was gonna just not like, yeah, you know, because.
Speaker 1: I superheroes are your musicals.
Speaker 2: I know it, Yes they are. They are.
Speaker 1: We figured out.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, you know, as we're starting, and I'm like, okay, I did not understand the zucchini bread.
Speaker 2: Didn't get it.
Speaker 1: Yep, weren't supposed to warrants.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, but it's it was kind of at first going and then I just kind of I just I just really sat back and relaxed and was like.
Speaker 2: This is cute.
Speaker 3: It's cute for Disney, you know what I mean. It's it wasn't super crazy they had. I mean, it felt like the first three or four minutes of the movie, so many familiar faces that are toppen in and you're going, wow, this cast is stacked, you know, right, And that was really cool because I love a lot of those actors and the shows that you really recognize them from. But so first I was I was cautious. I was kind of like ah Man, and I actually loved it. Ended up liking it so much more than what I was thinking of.
Speaker 1: Me too, I felt the same way, although I it was one of those things. One of the reasons I loved it not just because the superheroes, not because I saw how it helped to pave the way for the genre, but also, like Susie Q, this to me was another bridging the gap between what dcoms used to be and what they eventually became.
Speaker 2: Yes, totally great cast, fun.
Speaker 1: Some of the effects weren't great, but some of them, I thought, for their time and the and I think budget were not bad at all. Right, the main kid was likable as hell.
Speaker 2: So such a doll. Oh, I just loved him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I overall it was fun. It was a fun time to watch it. Really was. I've seen way worse.
Speaker 2: We have definitely see the way.
Speaker 1: And that's why the twenty seven percent shock throws me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it did.
Speaker 3: It shocked me because I think it's it's definitely one of the better ones than than what we've seen so far.
Speaker 2: You know, fun wasn't Descendants for me.
Speaker 1: You know, it wasn't that for me. It wasn't going to the mat It wasn't you know, it wasn't Color of Friendship.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I did think that the that the message behind it was really cool.
Speaker 2: Though I did like the message.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way now. I already told you this entire movie was possible because of one man, and that one man is Robert Townsend, who not only directed the movie, he stars in it as Jim Marshall aka Bronze Eagle, the dad of your typical suburban family who moonlights as superheroes. Townsend did the unthinkable with this movie, as Disney continued to be very progressive with these t coms, not only focusing on a black family, but creating the studios first and technically TV's first black superhero way before they entered Wakanda. And this makes sense for Townsend, who began his career as a comedian who lost out to Eddie Murphy in an audition to be come an SNL cast member. Instead, he'd write, direct, and produce a movie in nineteen eighty seven called Hollywood Shuffle Great Movie, a semi autobiographical satire of what it was like trying to enter the film industry as a black man. It was a big surprise hit, and that led to directing other movies like The Five Heartbeats Eddie Murphy Raw and the nineteen ninety three comedy meteor Man, which made him the first black superhero in a movie ever Unreal Wow. He'd also create a bunch of TV shows like WB's The Parenthood and be ET's American Soul. He returned to being a superhero in twenty nineteen on the TV show Black Lightning, the first network TV show about a black superhero, which he also directed, and is currently seen on the massive hit TV show and My Wife and I's Favorite Show Right Now, The Bear as Sydney's dad. The Man is a pioneer and a legend period. He is amazing.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Alex Datcher is Judy Marshall aka Warrior Woman, the mom of the family Datuer was a TV veteran who stops on hanging with mister Cooper Martin, Sister Sister and good Behavior, but is best known for bigger roles in movies Paulish, That's Yours, Jury Duty and one of my favorite action movies of all time, Passenger fifty seven. Great movie. The lead of the film, Scott Marshall, the less than super youngest son of the family, is played by Michael Pagan. Pagan appeared in some big movies like How Stella Got Aur Groove Back, Gridiron, Gang with the Rock, and Denzel's Fallen, but appears to have gotten out of the business in twenty fourteen. The villain of the film, Malcolm, is played by Kevin Connolly, and I laughed when I saw kevinkaman screen. We'll get into that. Best known as e from the HBO show Entourage, but he was also a very successful child actor, starring off as Rocky Sun's best friend in Rocky five and then as a lead on the show Unhappily Ever After, which also starred a puppet and my ex girlfriend. The other thing is that when I was a Nickelodeon kid, the first show I ever did was a show called Don't Just Sit There, And the final audition for Don't Just Sit There was I had to actually do an episode of the show with the other kid that was supposed to it was between the two of us, and our final audition was literally the two of us hosts an actual show together, and the other kid was Kevin Connolly. So when I would run into Kevin years later, he would always say, oh, look, you still got the one job that I wanted on Nickelodeon. Very good guy, very funny. Also his right hand well we think evil person with him. The girl who was with him is played by Olivia Burnett, who was also a mainstay on television, Michael Jacob's mainstay on shows like The Torkulsins and Almost Home, Very very popular. Was also in She was wonderful, but the movie was terrible. It was called The Gift of Love, starring Andy Griffith. She played a drifter girl who befriends Andy Griffith after he takes his grandson's heart after his grandson was killed in an accident. His grandson had the worst Southern accent in any movie of all time. It was an absolutely horrible performance by this actor, but in all fairness, they only gave me two days to study before I knew what I was doing when I got there, and then when I got there they told me I had to have an accent the last day. So not fair. But the actor was terrible. He was a young Wilferdell.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: Anybody who can find gift of love. I'd like to say I'm sorry, but Olivia was great. And lastly, in the Dabney Coleman chair, May he rest in peace, Dabney, It's Sherman Hemsley. A TV icon for his time. George Jefferson himself on The Jeffersons arguably a top ten sitcom character of all time, if not top five of all time. There you could argue top two or three. It was one of the greatest characters in history, starting on an archie bunker and then spinning off absolutely unbelievable. He plays the Grandpa Edward Marshall aka Steele Condor hilariously in Meteorman Townsend also cast a different Jefferson to play one of his parents. That time, it was Marla Gibbs, known as Floras Johnston to Jefferson fans. The movie is seventy eight minutes, which with commercials will make it to an hour and a half, but that doesn't count for the bulls Eye. We hit the bulls Eye once with Susan. I think that's gonna be our pinnacle. So no awesome music this week. As we said, it's directed by Townsend, who was a big get for Disney, but it was written by Dan Berenson, who did a lot for Sabrina, which is probably the connection to Paula and Melissa. But he also wrote and get ready for this, Stuck in the Suburbs, Halloween Town High, Twitches, Hannah Montana, the movie Wizards of Waverley Place, the movie Camp Rock, to Teen Beach two, and The Cheetah Girls One Word. So he is obviously someone we're going to talk about quite a bit and is on this podcast to stay wow. And hopefully we can get Dan on the podcast. I would love to be honest, because he seems to have written just about everything we've already talked about. Whether you're into superheroes and superhero movies, you, of course, opinions are personal and they don't matter, But you gave the wrong answer by saying you did not like superheroes at all. Now I know, I'm just waiting for either your son or your daughter to become superhero fanatically, and you've got to learn the backstory of all these aciteric multiple earths and parallel dimensions and everything. Oh man, by the way, I have a new movie out called Crisis on Infinite Nurse three. Go check that out right now and each other. Oh sorry, just telling people anyway.
Speaker 3: I did see Aquaman a bunch of times, because I will have the.
Speaker 1: One that's the one you went to was Aquaman.
Speaker 2: I did not go to it.
Speaker 3: I have just seen it a bunch because when we were on our cruise for our honeymoon. When you're on a cruise ship, there's like seven channels that work, right, one of them is a movie channel, and it just kind of rea.
Speaker 1: Aquaman the King of the Sea, where he can cause boats to sink and everything. This is what they're playing on the cruise.
Speaker 3: So I watched it in like fifteen minute increments, sometimes the same one over in freaking just whenever it was on the TV.
Speaker 2: I did watch that one a lot, Okay, But I.
Speaker 3: Was a fan of that actor because I love Game of Throne, so I was like, okay with.
Speaker 1: That Jason Momoa, Yeah, yes, you like the big burly guy with the long hair who can throw you over the back of a horse. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That is not my type at it's really no.
Speaker 1: Susan's either.
Speaker 2: At the same time, I liked him in Game of Thrones, so he's great.
Speaker 1: No, he was great. He was the douth Rackey leader. He was great. He's he's also I've met him at many conventions of it. Was always a very nice guy to me. Yeah, but it is. We won't get into my love of superhero movies. Here's the thing. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to get it's too much now everything's a superhero.
Speaker 2: It's a lot the original.
Speaker 1: MCU, the those first movies Ironman also, oh so good. Now they're all television shows and everything else, they're all it's it's too much now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, It's tough to remember a time when superhero movies didn't rule the world, but this was way ahead of its time. For one, it did the unthinkable. It mentions both Spider Man and Superman in one script, meaning in this movie they exist in the same universe. So maybe this is the start of the MCU. Possibly Hilariously, Comic book heroes were so under used in movies and TV at the time almost consider poisoned creatively that up, Up and Away didn't even clear using the superhero names in the movie with Marvel or DC, other than kind of the seventies with the original Superman movies and then the eighties with at least the first two because they were Tim Burton Batman movies superheroes. That was kind of it, and then there was a bit of a lull. They then went to animation, which was my world, and animated superheroes, especially during the Bruce Tim time, all that kind of stuff. Batman, the animated series Batman Beyond Justice League, all those were phenomenally good, but it wasn't really on the big screen. And then it came back, of course with Christopher Nolan Batman, and then they started the MCU and they did all that kind of stuff and now it's everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yes, And when they mentioned it, I feel like it was like, oh oh, like you're expecting them to make up some ones that you've never heard of, and they did it.
Speaker 2: They did, and it was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Neat kind of neat all right, so let's get into it. The movie kicks off with a logo for Earth Protectors, something you're going to get to know very well in this movie. We pan out to notice it's from the computer of a young lady, Nina, the aforementioned Olivia Burnett, finally finishing a program alongside her partner, Malcolm, the guy I beat out for don't you sit there? That's how I'm going to refer to him right now, and they're ready to celebrate. Nina is so happy that her work is finally going to be able to save the world, but that Malcolm, We're not so sure about his intentions. He did the smile that big usually hides an extra rowtieth people. We cut to a young Scott Marshall at home, messing around with a soccer ball in his room until he knocks down his dad with a strong kick to the hallway. His dad, Jim, of course, though, can't be mad at the son because he says his birthday is coming up in four days. But as excited as you think Scott would be, he looks like he's a little stressed out about it. Downstairs, his mom, Judy calls down to the family that also includes an older brother and a younger sister, calls him down for breakfast. The Marshals really resemble your typical suburban family. They have soccer practice, the girl lostter retainer, the older brother's girl crazy, and they planning a big birthday party for Scott on Sunday. Then there's a knock at the back door. It's Scott's best friend, the adorable dorky Randy who this is another actor who goes on and do a bunch of things like Alpha Dog. He's been in the Time movies, also starring as a young kid who arrives holding a tinfoil covered loaf of zucchini bread. The family just stops in their tracks. They're terrified of something. We get dramatic music as they intensely circle the bread. The camera pans in on it. The kids quickly tick off for school, but that bread is causing a real issue. It is as if the kid delivered a nuclear bomb to this family.
Speaker 3: Then they did not in any way control their faces and reaction to Nope, like.
Speaker 1: With me Eily, I apologize for bringing you a delicious loaf of bread. Family, Marshall and Randy get on their bikes and they stopped by Rosen's house. A classmate who rises Marshall about recently choking on the soccer field. But we know obviously that there is a crush going on here, even if they both deny it. There are middle school boys and girls icky, but they clearly have a thing for each other. They're supposed to be seventh graders, and I guess, you know, as I was watching, I was like, do seventh graders not like date and do that' so? But of course do I remember doing all that stuff and having crushes and you didn't want to talk to them, and it was very strange. And I called Shannon Chipley one day and told her I loved her, and then just hung up the phone. By the way, Shannon is still a friend of mine. Shout out.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of first kisses happen in seventh grade, right.
Speaker 1: It depends on what you mean. Do you mean first kiss like tongue or do you mean like first like cause my first kiss I remember waking up Julia Gaittano in kindergarten with this smooch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, like like a like a making session.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like that's like seventh grade is Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's about right. That's when everybody started to have the parties in the basement and Shannon Chipley and Andy Foss are making out in front of me, and oh that Andy Foss. Andy cameo Andy. Anyway, we are back at the Marshalls. The mom and dad are burying the zucchini bread in the backyard again as it's some sort of giant atomic bomb. They say just being near the stuff makes them weaken the knees, but they love zucchini bread. So we still don't know what this is about just yet.
Speaker 2: I thought they were going to put a body in that hole. That thing was.
Speaker 1: It was a big hole. By the way, I would say if you are or if you are getting rid of a body, that's the size hole you're gonna need. The shallow thing, you're always going to be caught at school, by the way. We are now there and Scott's seventh grade class is introduced to a big wig from Earth Protectors and Environmental's how I'm gonna say it every time, by the way, an environmental group that recently donated computers to the school. His name is mister Quinn, and we see that it is Malcolm from the opening scene of the movie. He gets a very rambunctious and frankly undeserved round of applause from the class. He explains that everyone can save the world with things like recycling and planting trees. He's telling all the kids and there crushing up notes like hope you're going to recycle that. But he has quote unquote updates for the computers, so he hands out sea ROMs. Sabrina, when'd you get your first computer?
Speaker 2: I mean my parents had one.
Speaker 1: Every time you say that, I think your parents are my age.
Speaker 5: They are not.
Speaker 1: Swear to God, I swear to God. I think your parents are my age. Every time you say that, No.
Speaker 3: My parents had one. I didn't have my own one until college.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, there was like the family computer when they were Yes, that's basically the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what we had. And then when I went to college is when I got I think you could rent them from the school too. You think you rent it for two years and that would pay it off, and then that was the computer you got to take. So I think that was probably when I got my first one. Everything else is you know my parment as we Yeah, I didn't really need it A ton.
Speaker 1: Producer Jensen will find this funny because he knows me this well. Just through Podmetsworld and the jokes that we have that I never throw anything away in my house. When I go home, in my brother's room, there is still the fully functional, fully working, fully hooked in original applitude.
Speaker 2: No way, it's still worse.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, everything is still working.
Speaker 3: Like every computer I've gotten since was an expiration day of like two years. There's Jordan. I also have a hard time throwing things away. I'm a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of a background. In my closet. I have all of my Apple like the same them.
Speaker 1: I'm one of those people who believe someday they're going to be worth something.
Speaker 2: Like what do I just throw it away?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: You man, thank you?
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: You've just came back a little bit from the superhero thing.
Speaker 2: Jordan is a full like perjer like everything must go.
Speaker 1: She's like, oh look baby teeth. Yeah that's she's She's that way exactly the same way we will we okay, Well we're with the right people, right exactly. Do you remember CD ROMs?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: I do too, I do.
Speaker 1: I used to.
Speaker 2: It's still weird for me to not have my music on CDs.
Speaker 1: You know, I still do.
Speaker 2: You know in high school you always had those mixes that you still I have for everyone. I had a booty mix. It was the like all these booty songs like booty Booty, Booty, Booty, booty, booty, bounce booty.
Speaker 1: Is there more than one booty famous?
Speaker 2: Oh my friends had it?
Speaker 1: So did your booty mix bring all the boys to the yard?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, I was just checking.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now follow Malcolm back to his Earth Protectors van filled with his nefarious looking team without Nina, of course, and he admits he hates kids. This dude is not as charitable as he pretends to be. And he's ready to test the CD ROM without Nina around, And how is he going to test it? Using the new Earth Protectors programs to hypnotize the tellers of a bank and instruct them to give them wads and wads of cash. And it works, but then one of the tellers sneezes and they wake up from the trance before Malcolm can even walk out. But even as a failure, he realized the new power that he now wields. I know Nina is being set up as the good person here, but if a program hypnotizes people to do even good things, that's bad, right, Yeah, don't hypnotize me.
Speaker 2: You're manipulating people without them knowing. That's not okay.
Speaker 1: You. Yeah, hypnotizing not so good. In Jim Marshall's car now he's driving around Scott and his friends to a soccer game. He pulls over and pretends there's something wrong with the car because he's got a superhero signal telling him that the bank is being robbed. The kids decide to walk to the field, and once they're out of eyeshot, Jim looks around, walks off screen, fully disrobes, and for the first time, pops on as Bronze Eagle.
Speaker 3: He did the first ever TikTok because that's how all the try ons of TikTok happened, Like the girl the do you like see the outfit shit the floor and then bam, the TikToker is in the outfit. So he's hey, he developed the TikTok try on sessh.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's they've just said a bunch of small words. The TikTok try on sash, the TikTok tot try on tos, the TikTok tos, that's what we're calling it from now on. Okay, what did you think of the costumes. This is where I thought they could have used. And I get it's two thousand and it's a kids movie, but I think they could have streamlined. It looked a little Halloween customy to me.
Speaker 3: These well the main characters, and that's a lot to say, well, because the main characters had the best costumes of all of it. That's one of my Sabrina ses is that.
Speaker 2: Party filled with horrific costumes.
Speaker 1: There aren't There are some bad ones there.
Speaker 2: There were some and there was and then some good effects.
Speaker 1: It was a weird combination some good effects too. Well.
Speaker 2: This is when we first see that. This is the first effects that we see, right when he gets up and he flies.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's not The flying is not great. But again Dcom two thousand, Yes, we're still the to say we are working on the technology at this point is a huge.
Speaker 3: Undertra but better than I would have expected it to be at this point for the Disney technology.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree. I don't disagree. So he yells up up and away and fly away in a special effect we talked about that compared to today's CGI, looks like Atario Graphics. He arrives at the bank. Just as the perpetrators are thrown out of the building's windows. They were tossed by his wife, now dressed as her alter ego, Warrior Woman. And I thought, while her costume was risque, it was very wonder Woman, which I kind of dug. I thought her costume was better than his costume. That was, yes, my humble opinion.
Speaker 2: I would agree on that as well.
Speaker 1: The married couple casually fights the bad guys while focusing on each other, talking about their schedule, their marital status, who's going to do the laundry. It's a very fun cute scene. Mister and missus Smith ask you know, as they're talking. A van even tries to run them over, and Bronze Eagle just stops it with his finger. Warrior Woman then flips over the van. It's very cool, very kind of Incredibles or sky High. I kept thinking about sky High to the point where so the guys who wrote Kim Possible wrote sky High. Great movie, okay, and I went to go see, oh, maybe this did Jeez, did they rip off sky High here? And then I looked, no, this was five years before sky High. Wow, So this was first yes, and it seemed like nobody rips off everybody. There's I mean, there's no new ideas in Hollywood anyway. But when you're talking Incredibles and Sky High the Thundermans, you're talking this family superhero trope. This is the start. This is that. That's why I can't believe this doesn't get any love, because that huge juggernaut of an idea of superhero families that has made what a billion dollars with the Incredibles and everything that hash. Yeah, with Robert Townsend and Up, Up and Away, there's.
Speaker 3: A whole land in California adventure that right for this. That's how many characters.
Speaker 1: Yes, Up, Up and Away started all that. It's about time it gets it's due. So the couple has saved the day. But we also see that Malcolm and the Earth Protector thug we're looking on. Okay, So this is the part that kind of confused me a little bit. So the bad guys that got arrested.
Speaker 2: Are just like we're assisted them. But how did they get out of it? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Everybody saw him standing right in front of them when they start calling yes God, and he looked.
Speaker 3: There's such a funny little moment too, after he gets they call the guy called security.
Speaker 2: He's like, he's.
Speaker 1: Maybe if if he doesn't move.
Speaker 3: I would be like, I'm out.
Speaker 1: It was just so that was confusing all of a sudden, he just kind of in Inside Man kind of way, snuck away as if he was one of the members of the public. So, yeah, that one could have used.
Speaker 2: It goes as far to do a interview about Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's talking to the cops. By the way, if you haven't seen Inside Man, check it out. A great, great movie. Anyway, Jim finally gets to Scott's soccer game, where Scott is well, he's choking again and he's not passing to his teammates. He just wants to score the goal, even though his crush is open. Everyone's yelling at him to pass. Every kid's been in this position before. I want to make the basket. I want to do this. You missed the open person, and then you muff It happens all the time. Scott's older brother finally joins and we see that he can run faster than the speed of light and has the gift of electrocution. Jim tells him to keep his abilities on the DL around Scott because he's just sitting in the stadium surrounded by people, with lightning going back and forth between his fingers. Dude, keep it under the radar.
Speaker 3: I think that's a big part of it though, Thinking about a teenager with superheroes, how likely is it that they're gonna want to show it off?
Speaker 2: Look how cool I am, Look what.
Speaker 1: I can do. But Serena, I'm gonna coin a phrase here that nobody's ever said before. With great power comes great responsibility.
Speaker 3: You know, if you think about a teenager, they cannot help themselves.
Speaker 1: That's why the teenagers, that's why they're so fun to watch. The I know you don't like the superheroes, but why you get a Peter Parker is so fun to watch because he's such a nerd and bullied in school and he can't show anybody his powers. That's the cool part about it. Okay, we'll get We're gonna get you their sobrinas list Anyway, He says he doesn't want him to show his superpowers around Scott because he doesn't have any powers of his own. Scott hasn't got him yet, and he's supposed to get some by fourteen years old. One of the things we learn is that's the cutoff. If you haven't gotten your powers by fourteen, you're gonna be a quote unquote normal or in Harry potter Land, which we're talking about, what would you be called? What are the non magical folk called?
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh, are you seriously gonna have dude trivia on a movie that I've never seen?
Speaker 1: Oh it's a Muggle. You're a muggle. You're a Muggle. And oh, the list is getting stronger, a longer and longer of the stuff I will send you. So he might just turn out to be normal and the only one in the family that is. Even his little sister, which is a very funny on running thing, has the ability of laser vision and just keeps lighting things on fire, especially when she tried to, you know, start a barbecue and they're they're grounding her and giving her timeouts and doing stuff like that because she's randomly lighting stuff on fire by accident. As Earth protect I'm gona stop doing that. As Earth Protectors, I can't keep doing the voice HQ. Nina is mad at Malcolm about the bankstut. He says it didn't even work, and Nina explains that's because it only works on adolescent brains. The plan is to get one of these computers that appear to be mind control devices to every kid in the country, and they've broken into a nearby county jail's computer system to break out the gang that just got arrested their other gangs, knowing that they might be fighting some superheroes soon because the superhero saw them. Now that they're on their radar, we got to get our whole gang together because the superheroes might be coming after us. We are back at the Jeffersons. Scott is bummed about his soccer stats and is stressed about his current lack of super skills. Only three days left to his birthday and he's really starting to stress about it, so he's just praying that they show up soon. He wants to be quote unquote the best superhero ever, just like his dad. Scott's mom thinks they should help Scott face reality and maybe even cancel his party that's going to have all the other superheroes where he takes the oath, And I thought, why couldn't they have said to him, We'll just have your friends over and make it a regular birthday party instead of we'll cancel everything. Because you're not gonna be.
Speaker 3: So like, you know, if he doesn't have powers, now you're just gonna he's already low.
Speaker 2: You're just gonna push him down even before exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, he doesn't have the power to fight back, so he can just kick him while he's down.
Speaker 5: The poor kids seriously.
Speaker 1: And unfortunately, we pan over and we see that Scott is listening, and he overhears his parents disappointment and it just crushes him. So he sneaks off to remove some screws from one of the doors, just as with the only energy that only Sherman Hemsley can have. Sherman Hemsley comes on on the screen. He's also a superhero. He nswers, and to greet his grandfather, Scott runs into the house, pulling the door that he just took the screws off, right off the hinges. The family is so impressed. Ah, you got your powers. You have super strength. That's amazing and just in the nick of time. But we know that he doesn't. He faked it. Scott says his abilities come and go. He also lies about being able to fly a little, something not even his mom can do. Apparently, now I don't mean to keep calling out my friends because they're awesome people. But sky High written by the guys who did him possible. The kid didn't have his superpowers yet both superpowered parents flying was the hardest ability that could be there, and lied about having his powers. All these things come right from this movie, right from this past.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Scott's dad is super proud and his brother is obviously jealous because he wants to fly too, so they want to see him fly. Now here's a small fun note going back to what we're just talking about. Scott's grandma says that they had Peter Parker and Mary over for dinner the other night, the first ever Spider Man Disney mentioned BAM, and then his grandpa texts later about how much he hates Clark Kent forgetting a publicist and taking the name the Man of Steel, the DC and Marvel crossover you've always dreamt of for the first time ever. Here in Up Up in a way, Scott is now pressured by his family to fly, so he gets his training cape and he throws a soccer ball into a tree. His family hears it from the inside and thinks it's him flying into a branch. When they don't see him, they assume he's flying in the sky, and then he just grunts and pretends he landed behind them, and they all seem to fall for it. This also threw me. It seems like they made the family a little stupid, Like you couldn't tell that he threw don't you have the kids got X ray vision, They've got all this stuff. You couldn't tell that he wasn't flying. Yeah, I would have gone a different way with it, but I get what they're doing. But then the grandfather, the wise older superhero, calls him out privately. He knows the truth. He says superheroes don't lie, but promises he won't tell Scott's parents about the lie until after the party. The next morning, Scott is cramming in some homework with the Earth Protector's computers in the CD ROM, but it's flashing lights and using the hey SMR voice. It suddenly hypnotizes Scott, and as a result, he just sits in front of the computer, staring mindlessly at it for hours. This concerns his dad, especially when he hears the bank robber thugs have escaped from jail, which we know the Earth Protectors did from their headquarters. We also see older brother Adam's Silver Charger costume for the first time. Great name, bad costume. When they decide to go investigate the bank, it just looks like a bad steampunk Halloween bit. It's the word it. Do you think this is the worst one, yes, well, of the worst of the family, the worst of the family.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I just couldn't imagine how annoying those goggles were to wear. They probably were just beyond annoying.
Speaker 1: But steampunk more like steam up. They have those, the kind of things where you're in costume all day, you're probably like sweating and you can't see through them. Yeah. Also, that day at school, Scott and his classmates we notice are all dressed in blue. They don't even notice, but one kid. The teacher says, did everybody do their homework? And they pan to one kid in the front wearing red raising his hand, who obviously did not do his homework. The Earth Protectors look on from their van in the parking lot. It worked, they made all the kids dress in blue. Nina sees the power of what she's just created, and instantly her mind goes to wanting to get them all to compost or even love eating tofu Malcolm says he'll take care of all that, but the truth is he's already added something to today's lesson without even telling her. We see he also gave them a craving for chocolate, so he knows that he can. He can do whatever he wants with the mind control device, and he is going to use this ability because he wants ten or twenty billion dollars. He does not care about Nina's altruistic hopes. He is in this solely for the dough. Now we got Rosen who's continuing the weird seventh grade crush tactics. She throws a ball of illuminufoil at Scott to throw it away or as fun. We don't really know what it is, but his brother catches it instead and instantly winces and hides as his hand flashes green. This is where we go back to the zucchini bread at the beginning. We finally find out what that means. The family's kryptonite is not bread. Obviously. The one thing that messes up their molecular structure and can kill them is aluminum, so that's what it was. They threw the aluminum foil at it and boom, now know what their kryptonite is because every good superhero, no matter who it is, has kryptonite.
Speaker 2: Has to have something something that can trigger.
Speaker 1: Is obviously Superman's, but any any big superhero, there's always something where you can do whatever you want to do. The Marshals go on to TV as their superhero identities and alert people that an ingenious computer program is controlling minds. They announced they made the counteracting software to stop brainwashing, but we find out that that's actually a bluff, just like Scott's lie, who continues to pretend that he can fly. So when Scott's dead, abruptly takes Scott in the air with him because he says, hey, you can fly, let's go boom up, up and away. He quickly realizes that his son is just dead weight, and he lets him go because maybe part of me thought it was kind of I'm gonna throw you in the deep end just to caularn how to swim whim. His parents think maybe the problem is he's having trouble concentrating again. They they figured out some weird ways to kind of activate his superpowers. But yes, Scott falls, by the way, Yes falls plummeting towards earth because he would be horribly killed.
Speaker 2: Worst case scenario, Yeah, that pretty much happened.
Speaker 1: Bronze Eagle swoops in and his dad saves him. Now it is time for Scott's party, and it's a shindig fill with original superheroes. This is where the costumes do reveal the budget. I will let you go off on that. But there is one Reach who's basically mister Fantastic, Mister Fantastic of course from the Final Four, or there's also Elastic.
Speaker 2: Man Elastic Girl from.
Speaker 1: An Incredibles Incredibles. There's plenty of different versions of stretchy people. But this is also where you show the difference in the film because there's one invisible guy that walks by that looks pretty good, and Reach looks pretty good. Also a great name, Reaches, a great name for a superhero, and then there's some that don't look great. Do you want to save him for, Sabrina ceas we can, sure, Okay, we'll save him for he says, there are some absolute doozies there in front of the whole crowd. By the way, Now, Scott's dad names him Warrior Eagle, great name and leads him in the heroic oath of truth Justice and integrity, and even though Scott stutters and wants to tell his dad what's wrong, he eventually, when his dad says, you're just supposed to say I do, eventually says I do. Over at Earth Protectors, Malcolm convinces Nina to slip a homing device onto Bronze Eagle to find their hideout, giving her no choice but to sit in an exploding building waiting for the superheroes to show up. Malcolm doesn't care if they show up or if she dies. Either way he wins. This guy is what they call a super dick, and now here it has supers. Here is where we can talk about I don't know if this was a Disney note, if this was a Robert Townsend note. My guess is it's Townsend. But it is a perfect way to save money on movies like this, and it is a brilliant directing note, which is the explosion of the building. So what they do is there's a van blocking it, and you've got Kevin Connolly and I forget the other actor's name, and if we can find it, I want to because I did a movie with him as well. He's another super nice guy. They're sitting there he presses the detonator button and they flinch. As the ground shakes, we hear the giant explosion. Then they get into the van and as they drive away we see the building on fire. Brilliant way to make it look expensive when you didn't have to spend the same amount of money you have to blow up a building. Now, let the actors do their thing, you drive away. The building's on fire. We get it. Everybody gets it. Genius directing and a great way to save a lot of money. Everyone at Scott's party, of course, because they're all superheroes, gets an alert that there is a woman in a burning building. So Reach suggests Scott go as his first Warrior Eagle mission. Why not, he's been a superhero for a week and has had absolutely no training. Kid for a day.
Speaker 3: That's right, ya, one day, and you're gonna send and you're very young, fourteen year old to a burning building by himself.
Speaker 1: But hey, as they say, and this makes sense, superhero one oh one, it's the equivalent of the firefighter saving a cat from a tree for a superhero woman burning building. Cake, Just get in there and do it. Scott ursly agrees, and again with a soccer ball fools his parents into thinking he flew away, which is still very concerning in reality. Scott rides his bike to the building where Nina is inside, coughing and set to die. She's also will definitely die because the entire fire department is there and no one has a hose or is doing anything to even remotely fight the fire whatsoever. Nothing. Eventually, Scott gets there and while the birthday party circled around a TV watches on. Scott tries to help Nina, but eventually almost kills her in the process, until his dad, realizing the lie, now flies in at the last minute they're hanging from the building, flies in his bronze Eagle and save them. He's obviously extraordinarily disappointed in his stupid liar son, and Nina is confused about what just happens. Scott also does the ty Olsen, by the way, is the name of the actor I was thinking of, Tyzon Tyles. Scott does the equivalent of a superhero Oh my god, what did you just do and loses his mask, so Nina picks it up and takes it back to the lab, where they're able to take the indentations and cross engineer it to figure out his real face, which, believe it or not, is still the least like reliable thing in this movie That made no sense, but who cares? We get it? They have to find out who it is. Back at the Marshall home, his parents admit that they love him, with or without his powers. He didn't need to lie. They love him for whoever he is. He just has to be the best version of whoever he is, even though his friends at school make fun of the Cape kid they saw blow up on TV. The Earth Predectors finally release a new CD ROM forcing kids to steal money from their parents and give it to them, and Scott gets caught after he does this. Do you see all these kids walking over kind of mindlessly opening up their parents while it's taking out the money. Scott does this as well. He doesn't even know he's done this, and then his sister uses their X ray vision and notices the money in his backpack. She turns him in snitches and up in ditches. He swears he's innocent, but his parents ground him from soccer, which is the only thing he's been looking forward to because he wants to be a captain. At school, We're now back at school, brainwashed kids dropping off wads of money to the Earth Protectors even without thinking about it. They're just walking up and it looks like they're handing in their cety their old CD ROMs with they're really just handing, you know, mounds of cash and Scott. It turns out a teacher approaches him and says, hey, you've been selected for a special Earth Protector upgrade. It's in the principal's office. He goes in, he sits down and is immediately hypnotized. Then Malcolm arrives to ask him some questions about his family, like where do they live? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, the bad guy's got him enthralled. Now we're going to learn some stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He spills the beans for two hours, but doesn't remember a thing because he's been hypnotized the entire time. He does notice that Nina is in the Earth Protector's van, though, and as she's waiting outside, he kind of says, wait a second, that was the girl that I saved from the building. She's involved with him. What's going on? So that day he gets another special disc for homework, but he accidentally switches it with Rosen his friend. So he goes saying to his parents, He's back at home now. The girl I saved was there at school today. She's involved with these Earth Protectors and I have the proof. It's right here with this new CD rom they gave me. So he shows the disc to his parents. Think you don't want to criminate them, But because he switched it with Rosen, he has a harmless educational disc. But nearby, Rosen's mom all of a sudden walks in and holds up a bank and then reports back to the Earth Protectors. So that was supposed to happen with the Marshals, but of course now two things happen. They think Scott's lying, because Scott, you can't keep blaming everybody else for your problems. Is this they say? They're like, is this a cry for help? Because what the heck is going on? And Rosen's mom is now in the clutches of the bad guys and she's robbed a bag. So Scott and Randy pretend they're sick at school and they call his grandfather, who believes the family is already at the Earth Protector's Layer and Steele condor. Of course, his grandfather says he's gonna come and help, and it's all funny because he's older, he's retired, he can't really fly, and he immediately flies off into a fence, but very cute and he's right. Of course, Scott's parents and siblings are at the headquarters, but they've been caught by the bad guys, who of course thought they were coming, and they have trapped them in a giant aluminum foil cage which has slowly taking their power. What did you think about the cage?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, I it obviously made sense.
Speaker 3: We know about the foiler all of that, but it was such a dinky. Yeah, you're telling me that a cage made a foil is gonna stop someone from just pushing it.
Speaker 4: That was the thing is, it's it slowly zaps your powers. The guy he caught the ball of Yeah, they can touch for.
Speaker 1: So they can touch. So you're telling me that the four of them together couldn't have just rushed out real quick from them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought mask being how they got that was also kind of like, ah, you know, come on, you know, same thing.
Speaker 1: So from this point on in the movie, it really gets kind of crazy, cartoony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it starts to lose its sparkle a little bit for me.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree that there were third act problems in this movie. Yeah, definitely were third act problems in this movie. I mean that maybe that's what people are remembering the end and take away from it, which is why they aren't as excited. That's why it's got the low rating. So Nina is embarrassed and mad because she's just trying to make the world a better place. But Malcolm is finally showing his true intentions to her and goes full bad guy. She says she should have known that he was a bad guy from the day she saw him drinking out of a styrofoam cup, eating beef jerkey, and wearing a leather belt. He doesn't care about the world or animals. It was actually a very funny way to say. And Olivia, it seemed like Olivia was kind of almost in a different movie. She was great in this movie. You've been playing it real the whole time. She really was playing it real the whole time. It was. She's actually a really, really good actor.
Speaker 3: So knowing this about him kind of goes So he was on this plan from the beginning. It wasn't something that he just kind of decided a long way. He was already manipulating her from the beginning when they first created this yeah, you know, seedy situation.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah now and you really now she can see it again.
Speaker 2: Super douche, Yeah, super douche. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Scott Rosen, whose mom is also there, and Randy, who now knows the truth about Scott's family, basically comes Stranger Things and they ride their bikes to the Earth Protector while Grandpa is very slowly flying them there. They show him flying and he glances over at all the traffic that's moving way faster than him. He's like, I should have taken a cab. It was very funny. Now in What Is Again, we talked about third act problems. In What Is arguably the movies were seen, the kids arrive at Earth Protectors and pretend to shoot the bad guys by stomping on bubble wrap that just magically apparently they're in a bubble wrap warehouse, and once the bubble wrap runs out, they go into a full home alone mode, with the kids tripping people with jump ropes, pushing rolls of bubble wrap onto villains, and then they're reacting like the thing of bubble wrap. Weighed a thousand pounds. It was like running from the boulder in Indiana. Jones, It was really kind of ridiculous. This is where you're kind of going, Oh, they just wanted to wrap They seem like they just wanted to wrap it up at this. Yeah. Once they eventually catch Scott, Nina ties him up with aluminum, but she just wants him to play along. She kind of says, you've got to get us out of this. She knows now that she's trapped, so she tries to do whatever she can. First to make Malcolm. She tries to interrupt the download, then she gets caught doing that. Then she tries to make Malcolm think that they're on the same team. He starts to realize that that's not going to work. She is fleecing him, so he gets her kicked out. Essentially, she's now a prisoner as well. We're now counting down to a full DNA restructure on the Marshals and we're almost out of time. But with a few seconds left, Scott gets a soccer ball from somewhere we don't explain where. He's obviously in a bubble wrap soccer ball warehouse and jukes all the bad guys. He's now Pele all of a sudden, ending up with kicking the ball through the cage into a small hole and smashing into the computer, which apports the computer program somehow, and he frees his parents, where then offscreen Warrior Woman jumps in. They're no longer staggered by the tinfoil that's around them, even though there's still a bunch of tinfoil around them. She kills everyone and or you know, incapacitates everybody. It's the whole thing is really really I keep using I have very words that I use all the time. Odd, strange, weird, and bizarre. This was odd, strange, weird, em bizarre, all.
Speaker 2: Of them this bizarre man. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the end, Scott's dad is super proud of Scott for saving them even without superpowers, because one of the lessons that he've been trying to teach Scott is you can be a hero without any superpowers at all. Again, I go back to Batman. You just need a ton of money. They also wipe the mind of everyone at Earth Protectors, including Nina, who also suggested destroying all the dis in the computers. Now Rosen and Scott finally, after all this time, admit to liking each other. Will you go to the dance with me?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: I will. I want to go to that, And then they have to wipe her mind too. I felt so bad for Scott, the first girl talk to and you've got to wipe her mind.
Speaker 2: But his mom said, a great piece of advice is if she really likes you before this, she'll still like Yes.
Speaker 1: No amount of superhero mind wipe.
Speaker 2: Will state that love exactly.
Speaker 1: It's house, But they do, in a show of friendship, decide to let Randy keep his memories so that Scott has someone to talk to about everything that's going on. So, just as the coast is clear and things are con grandpas, the ocndor burst through the wall. He finally made it. He should have taken that cab. We are now back in the suburbs. The marshals are back to their regular lives and Rosen bikes by. But they're back to, you know, crapping on each other for their kind of flirting, pushing each other pigtails in the in the inkwell kind of stuff. The crush is still secret, but Amy and Scott vote for each other to become captains for the team. They have become co captains, so who knows what will happen in the future. I'd like to think they still go to the dance together. And we end the movie with Randy and Scott talking about how Scott Nosegreen Hornet and more unclear superhero ip and then the credits roll. I did you like how he never got superpowers? Yes, me too, I did. I like that he just is a normal guy who still saves day and he never I was sitting here going, I wonder when they're gonna give him superpowers. I wonder when they get it, and they never did, and that made me very happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it becomes It makes the movie more relatable to kids.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel like you can switch it on with the messaging and everything, you can kind of switch on. How A lot of kids feel this way in junior high when this is when I feel like athletic sports and things like that, some kids really excel and some kids don't, and they're thinking, you know, they don't have the gift or whatever, and that's not you know, but it's like you find what's good for you.
Speaker 2: You figure out what what what is your superpower? You know what I mean, and that drama.
Speaker 1: Whatever you want anything chess, I mean, there's plenty of things you can do. Absolutely, you're going to kill it at Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like cool, just your super smart learn on.
Speaker 1: I agree undred percent. I loved how they didn't force it in there where all of a sudden you can fly like now, this is yeah, right, this is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's time for some real reviews.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think it's your turn to do the fox star.
Speaker 1: I think you're one hundred percent right. So we've got a five star review here from Extra in the background, and it's your kids will like it. Don't expect Batman or RoboCop. But if you're in the mood for some nice doesn't take itself seriously entertainment, you might want to give it a shot. And I think that's kind of right on the right on the button for a five star review. And I agree one hundred percent. What do you got for the one star there, Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Are one star comes from Carlos m Good for kids who just got back from the dentist and are high on gas.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, alrighty, thank you, Carlos AM.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think any dcon would be great for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, okay, we have you know features that we do every week from your favorite producer Jensen, who loves to give me things that you're going to be so good at all the way around, and with the hard tug he likes to just dust you off and hold you up to the light. Because we've got a new one here and it is a feature. So we are entering the comic book superhero genre and as you know, that's kind of my thing. Yes, so they the producer Jensen, this time has created a game that speaks to well my strengths. And as the voice of Batman, that's me. I know a thing or two about the genre. So, Sabrina, I'm going to read you quotes from superheroes, but I'm gonna do it in my Batman voice. And you have to guess the comic book icon who originally said it. If you get three out of five, right, you're a winner. Oh so here we go. Here's the first one, Truth Justice and a better tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Justice League.
Speaker 5: No it's not Justice League, it's Superman and we are off to a great start.
Speaker 1: There's also Truth Justice in the American way, which is the original Superman. But I think they wanted to make it more for everybody, more and more common more. Number two, Flame.
Speaker 2: On flame on flash.
Speaker 1: He's on a team with three other people.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, she's responded Flash. She's also wrong.
Speaker 1: It's human.
Speaker 5: You know flash, the guy who does fire flash.
Speaker 2: I don't what what what human?
Speaker 5: Human torch? Did you think human torture? Did you was like flash paper? Like how you burn flash paper? Do you think flashes made out of flash paper?
Speaker 2: You know? What?
Speaker 1: Is my favorite relationship? Okay? Number three I said this today. With great power comes great responsibility?
Speaker 2: Superman, Batman? Did you say Batman?
Speaker 5: The first answer that we already did. No, it's not that twice it's also not responsibility man.
Speaker 2: It's great responsibility.
Speaker 5: It's spider Man. It's probably one of the more famous ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually Uncle Ben told that spider Man, but he repeated it numerous but he does, he does. All right, How about this? It's clober in Time.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, uh clober in time.
Speaker 1: Oh, same team with four people we just talked about.
Speaker 5: I mean same team.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean anything. Team of four people.
Speaker 5: It rhymes with the sing what it rhymes with? The sing?
Speaker 2: The sing? Yeah? I don't know no, Green Lantern.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the thing, it's the thing thing. Okay, last one.
Speaker 1: Jensen put this last one in just for you. I'm Batman.
Speaker 2: I'm Batman, Batman. I guess one.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, okay, but did you were you impressed I knew the names Green Lantern?
Speaker 2: Did you think I was gonna know?
Speaker 5: That one?
Speaker 2: Is the Hulka superhero?
Speaker 1: Yes, part of Justice League. Yeah, she's part of the Avengers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, part of the the Avengers.
Speaker 1: Okay. The thing is is technically also part of the Avengers because he's part of the Fantastic Four, which are now joining the m CU.
Speaker 5: He would say like Hulk would be Hulk smashed, but that one was that was obviously okay.
Speaker 1: All right, well that's fine, we'll get there.
Speaker 5: Not fiveing bad and the one said the word bad.
Speaker 1: What movie is this from? Sabrina? Welcome to Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: Now a Jurassic Park. I am a big fan of I love Jurassic Park.
Speaker 5: Oh it's Jaws.
Speaker 1: That Shirk's real big. Let's take et back to wear his planet. Yes, we'll get there. I'm gonna work. We're gonna work on the Sabrina and someday down the line, you're gonna get a superhero quiz and you're gonna be like, I know that one. I know that one because my wife was the same way. And now you say anything to her and she's like, oh, come on, Captain America, come on really, yes'm we're going to get there.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That seems like Penny from the from Big Bank period. She all of a sudden knows things and it's like, wait, why do I know that?
Speaker 1: Anyway, thank you producer Jensen for once again educator full time.
Speaker 2: I had your great time, Jensen, Thank you, jeez.
Speaker 1: Can we do Can we do Sabrina Ses?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: So there was a lot to see with this, right, I mean, it was definitely one of those D coms that had a lot of more cartoony vibes. Obviously because right we touched on it before. The first thing that came up to me was this girl has never played soccer a day in her life.
Speaker 2: That kick was so bad. It was just like, wow, she if if soccer was on her resume? She lied, There's just no way. That was a really bad kick.
Speaker 1: I'd like to point out she might be she might be recovering because just three years earlier, she was almost killed by Dante's Peak with Pierce Brasmen got so recovery, Yeah, recovery on the the explosion of Dante's Peak, just saying yes.
Speaker 2: In the we we touched a little bit.
Speaker 3: When her brother is doing his voltage between his fingers, there is literally in the shot the screen a woman's face right here.
Speaker 2: I was just like, Okay, the same thing.
Speaker 1: He's not. He's not doing this. It's not like this close feature that's it's like a giant it's like a light. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, so eye catch you.
Speaker 3: There's no way someone would sit next to you and not realize what you were doing exactly. I loved that, Like, I really loved their funny things. An example was they're broccoli pudding, you know, like that they had. They had a lot of really fun, kind of catchy stuff throughout it. The flying scene was probably the worst. Flying that was one of the worst scenes of.
Speaker 1: The I felt it doesn't look great.
Speaker 3: And then it takes me to the barbecue party costumes. There's two people we didn't mention. There was a random guy just in a suit. He was like balding into the back and like he just had a random suit on just just like.
Speaker 1: A brown that could have been their account suit.
Speaker 3: I guess it was weird, But why would he be at the party with all the superheroes if he was a normal person.
Speaker 1: But maybe he's like the Justice Leaguess accountant. So they invited all the parties.
Speaker 2: Got it. The worst of the costumes was between two people. There was just a Trojan.
Speaker 3: Okay, And then there was this girl who had more of a budget, like a higher budget costume looking, but her lining was all right in like lower abdomen into the legs, just like oh really pink, and it was just lying. It was like the whole time, I'm going I would have died if that was my costume. You're just gonna only look at my crash. There's just no way you can look anywhere else.
Speaker 1: But that was that's based on a real superhero. That's crotch girl.
Speaker 2: Okay, well then maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 5: But I also thought, for the record, I also thought the Bombs costume was really racy for Disney.
Speaker 2: It was the lining of the breast area was.
Speaker 1: Very wonder Woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but at.
Speaker 3: Least it would look nice and looked expensive compared to some of these at the Barbigue. That was just really an eyesore and very hard to get over. I couldn't wait for that thing to be done. So yeah, that's my Sabrina Seas with just a lot of a lot of random stupid costumes.
Speaker 2: The guy in the suit in.
Speaker 1: All fairness, the Trojan, like the guy who's just the trojan. There is a this is true. There is a superhero named Shining Night Night. I mean, he's a Night from the round Table that actually was cursed and is still alive today.
Speaker 2: I was very old looking. He did not look like this was a superhero.
Speaker 1: There's no gotcha.
Speaker 2: Were crazy like the Spartan yourself.
Speaker 1: But anyway.
Speaker 3: The last one was the fake out with the fireman before he goes into the building. How he was a quick thing and then he just starts circling and the Fireman's like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, guy, he's following. You get this this fourteen year old down.
Speaker 1: Like it can also grab a hose and I do something down a flame here or there that could be helpful.
Speaker 2: And that's it of Sabrina Seeds for this movie.
Speaker 1: And now we come to the time where we must rate our movie one out of ten. One being the worst, ten being the best. Are options for this week. One out of ten CD ROMs, one out of ten, scary breads, one out of ten, actors from Entourage, one out of ten, middle schoolers in blue, one out of ten, magically appearing bubble wraps, one out of ten, oscreen building explosions, or one out of ten. Styrofoam cups, beef jerkys, and leather belts. I'm gonna let you pick this week, so I think you go first this time. I went first last time. How many styrofoam cups, beef jerkys, and leather belts would you give this movie?
Speaker 3: I think for me because the end really kind of got to that.
Speaker 2: Cheesy yeah level, all the rest of it down. Then when the Grandpa comes in, he sort of saves it a little bit.
Speaker 3: I have to say, but I think I'm I've got to go with this on a seven styrofoam cups, beef jerkys, and leather belts.
Speaker 1: You and I are going to give this exactly the same number. It's the number as I was watching. It was a seven to a seven point five, And it's because this movie deserves more recognition than it gets simply for everything it did for Disney superhero movies, movies that came after it that took the same exact kind of genre and storyline sided with this, and it deserves a little bit of recognition for that. I thought the acting was good.
Speaker 3: So good from the young actors as yes, who were put up.
Speaker 2: Against some heavy hitters right, yes, you know.
Speaker 1: Very Disney esque kind of performances. It once again shows where d coms can go. I thought it was an enjoyable seventy eight minutes. Again we've seen way worse. Yeah, I mean, also give this seven style from cups, beef jerkys and leather belts. Is this a ten?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: But is this a two or three? Like people are saying.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Definitely not. So there you go, everybody, Thank you so much for joining us for Up, Up, and Away, a little sleeper, enjoyable seventy eight minute film. I didn't know what to expect, and it was fully enjoyed it. It was. That's a fun, fun way to spend seventy eight minutes. It really is. And for our next Parkopper episode, we have a very special guest joining us. Sometimes guests come and we have to schedule them a lit little bit later a little time, and they're so cool and so much fun that we have to tack them onto another movie they're not even in, but the movies they're in are so cool. Yeah, I'm talking about High Schoolmusical again. That's right. We have somebody else joining us on our next Park Copper episode from High School Musical. Coach Bolton himself, Bart Johnson is going to be joining us. We are so excited. It was so much fun to talk to him. Why don't you take a listen to just a little snippet of our conversation with Coach Bolton.
Speaker 6: I've never played a dad before, Like, I know, Coach was kind of young for that. I'd always been you know, I was still playing the roles where you're like, I'm playing the basketball.
Speaker 1: Here's Zach. You're yeah, I'm not on the outside looking at this.
Speaker 5: So this is like ritory for me.
Speaker 6: So, well, what you wear? Would you wear the audition? I was like, like a T shirt and pair of jeans. He's like, listen, you gotta go in there and you got to act your age. You know, you got to play zac Efron's dad. I'm like, Who's who's that? Guf front, like, nobody knew who he was at that point. You know who's that. He's like, well he's you know, he's this teenage kid.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh god, I'm not old enough to have a teenage kid. That's crazy. Thanks everybody. That is going to be so much fun. And don't forget to hop over to our park Opper episode because man, did he have some stories. Our next movie is Genius. Literally, that's it. That's the movie title. It's from nineteen ninety nine and it stars a name you might know now, Emmy Rossam, who this is well before, of course she was on Shameless. So again, our movie is Genius. It's on Disney Plus. So get ready with us and see if you agree with our opinions. Thank you so much for joining us again, and remember to subscribe to our feed. You can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. See you next time. Bye everybody, Bye,