Speaker 1: At least.
Speaker 2: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Drive. I am Dale Lollie, he is Lee Matt Williamson, and uh, well, it is a much nicer Tuesday, Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: I'm a lot different than this morning. I'm gon.
Speaker 3: Wait, yesterday was yeah, it was jolly, yeah, chili and rainy, and today it's sunshine.
Speaker 1: Of these guys, they said, next week's supposed to gett nasty again. Couple daysposed to be great and let's get back to crazy.
Speaker 3: You know what when we go to West Palm Beach for the owners meetings, Yeah, I wanted to be bad here. I wanted to be crappy. I wanted to be ugly, snow all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Then we get home and it's all gone, right, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to be down in the you know, walking on the beach and hanging out at the breakers.
Speaker 1: And but that's BArch in Pittsburgh. I mean, it's not really going to be up and down week to week or day today. But today's awesome. I had to.
Speaker 3: Tell so those of you who don't know I run the baseball league in Washington, the Pony League specifically, and my guys are I sent out my schedule. We did all of our stuff over the weekend, had our draft and all that stuff, and I sent up about that. Yeah, they start up here. And I sent my preseason practice schedule out and the guys were like. One of the guys was like, you didn't put a batting cage schedule on there. I said, well, first of all, we got to get the batting cage up.
Speaker 1: There's no batting cage as we speak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I have the cage. We have to we have to hang it. To hang it, it's like fifteen feet off the ground on the top and it's down a hillside. I said, I'm not going to be there that day because that's the day we fly to West Palm Beach. Is the day we had the work day for it. I said, I don't want you guys climbing up there in bad weather on ladders to hang this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, there's I've done it myself by myself before taking it up and put it down.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want to do that in the rain.
Speaker 1: Just put it that way. Plus you know how to do it, and they might not and they don't right, right, So that's what you're dealing with.
Speaker 3: This time of year, they'll be we'll have more snow.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure I can't imagine making a practice schedule for baseball today because I'm sure I make it. Whether they'll be, whether they get used or not is completely up to my It's a guideline probably. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like everything, you have to have a plan.
Speaker 1: I have a plan, and then you executed the best you possibly can have. Things come down the road that there's roadblocks and hurdles you got to get around or over. You know.
Speaker 3: My friend of mine runs the Mustang League, and but ten years ago now my sons and I took my sons and we went back and we coached a Mustang team, which is nine to ten year olds just for fun. Yeah, my oldest son had just graduated college. My younger son's.
Speaker 1: He's a good player. Yeah, people don't know, right.
Speaker 3: So we go back and we coach a Mustang team. And a friend of mine was the league president at the time. He does he like schedules, you all, every thing is filled with practice times.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's like the whole NFL schedule.
Speaker 3: And we didn't have any rain that spring. Now, technically you're only supposed to practice with those kids five times.
Speaker 1: A week or four times. He knows it up with all day because he knows there was going to be rained.
Speaker 3: Some of the other guys were skipping some practices and you know, they we had tournament that weekend, so I was going to be missing three players. No. I practiced every single time there was a practice scheduled on there.
Speaker 1: We practiced, okay and so and got lucky and he actually got it in.
Speaker 3: We had a meeting late in the season and somebody asked about that and he's like, how many practice you have. I'm like, every one of them.
Speaker 1: A whole bunch. Yeah, yeah, and we're good. Well, and behold we won the championship. Practicing is important.
Speaker 3: We I think we started the season off like two and seven or something like that in the first half of the season. Second half of the season came around much different because we practiced. Coach getting back to the point, we stuck to the plan. Stuck the plan, we were scheduled to practice. We practiced. If three kids showed up, three kids showed up, But we practiced.
Speaker 1: You can get some three kids better at least right, That's.
Speaker 3: The way I saw it, and you know, hanging out with my son, we're doing baseball stuff.
Speaker 1: It was fun. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what you want to be doing anyway, Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So cool getting onto the show. I've seen some comparisons Matt of this year's draft to the twenty twenty two draft, and I don't see that refreshment.
Speaker 1: Who's the you talking about overall? About? Okay, who's the first overall pick in twenty twenty two?
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty two was?
Speaker 1: I don't think of it in years. I always think that's the Borough Draft, that's the Garrett Draft.
Speaker 3: That's a you know, was Trayvon Walker, Aiden Hutchinson got two picks, no quarterback in that Kenny Pickett went twenty first or twentieth, which is where he was slated to go. Folks, somebody on the message board today from yesterday's show talked about, well, Kenny Pickett was overdrafted. Nobody GMS have said that he was a third round pick. That's not what the pre draft stuff saying. No, go back and look google it right, google twenty twenty two pre draft rankings, and Kenny Pickett will be in the first round.
Speaker 1: Somewhere. Oh yeah, everybody had him right right right, I mean he was not a premier.
Speaker 3: In fact, a lot of people also had Malik Willis there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, So it was a shock on draft day how few right went when they were, when they went, when they went. But this draft is not that, No, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I think it wasn't a top ten pick, although some people had him there too.
Speaker 1: Right right right? The first quarterback, I mean quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, it's more like the twenty sixteen draft where goff and Wentz went number one and two. Okay, Bosa went three, and then Ramsey, Ezekiel Elliott, Jalen Ramsey, Ronnie Stanley.
Speaker 1: I might like those non quarterbacks better than this group. Yeah, but it's yeah, in that there were two quarterbacks, yeah yeah, and then Elliott's the gents.
Speaker 3: Paxton Lynch was the next guy. He went at twenty six, which I could see happening this year.
Speaker 1: And even goff and Wentz, like several months before the draft, Wentz was not a household name or considered even a surefire first run North Dakota state guy, right right, I mean it was Senior Bowl, it was the process, and Okay, and I don't think he got pushed up artificially. I mean, the league, the league knows these guys. I'm scouted and of course, and the media is always gonna be a little behind, of course, But I also think that Goff isn't the first pick in every draft, that the prospect. He wasn't special Town, special Town. He wasn't a super athlete or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But you got a running back up there, You're gonna have a Ezekiel up Elliott versus genty.
Speaker 1: Okay, in that neighborhood, right, that's comparable a couple of tackles that Carter versus Bosas in the same neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Jack Conklin was strictly a right tackle. Does he go in the top ten every year? Probably?
Speaker 1: He wouldn't have last year tackle he went eight over all that year.
Speaker 3: A bunch of edge rusher's cornerbacks, you know those kind of guys. Laramie Tunsall went thirteenth. But there was a reason for that.
Speaker 1: That was a mask incidence, you know, that was frowned upon then a little more than nowadays. Yeah, but he would have went high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I see what you did there.
Speaker 1: That was an accident.
Speaker 3: But also with the wide receivers.
Speaker 1: Kay, who's in that club?
Speaker 3: The first wide receiver taken that year was Corey cole at the Coleman year, Corey Coleman at fifteen. The Browns could have taken any receive. It was a it was a bad, bad receiver draft. They took Corey Coleman fifteenth.
Speaker 1: That's like Will Fuller.
Speaker 3: Will Fuller went twenty first, Josh Doson went twenty second, all terrible, Laklan Treadwell went twenty third.
Speaker 1: One thing like I always talk about and kind of joke, but maybe someday they'll do it. There'll be a book of NFL scouting history there. That was an era where the spread offenses and the Yeah, like Corey Coleman ran like two routes and there were times he didn't even run a route because cause they wuldn't to play so fast, they didn't want to tire him out. He would just stand there, yeah, and they'd hold up a Mickey Mouse sign or whatever or Donald Duck. I mean, like, I don't think the NFL knew how to scout that. They just knew that he was fast with size and made some big plays, but his game didn't translate. At all, and Treadwell had some of that, and so did one of the other receivers he's matched it. I forget which one it was not full Er. Fuller was just fast.
Speaker 3: Docks and was the other thoughts it was like that too, right, Yeah, the TCU, all those guys out of those Mickey Mouse offenses.
Speaker 1: Big twelve put up fifty points a game. The league didn't know how to handle them.
Speaker 3: I'm just looking here, Sterling Shepherd in the second round.
Speaker 1: He might have been the best receiver in the draft.
Speaker 3: Well, Michael Thomas was the second round pick, Okay, yeah, yeah, which shows you how quickly he fizzled.
Speaker 1: Like, well, his problem was he didn't run fast enough. Yeah, he ran like a four or five seven.
Speaker 3: Uh. Tyler Boyd was in that draft, Okay, So I mean there were some receivers in that draft who had success, but the first round guys didn't.
Speaker 1: No, they didn't.
Speaker 3: Just looking at that first surround overall, golf and Wentz went one and two, Bosa was three.
Speaker 1: Which way I thought you were going with this is Sanders might not be the second or third best player in this draft, but I think there's a chance he goes two or three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, right, Ezekiel Elliott went four, Jalen Ramsey five, Ronnie Stanley six to Forrest Buckner.
Speaker 1: Seven, Jennipede a real good pick.
Speaker 3: Jack Conklin went eighth, Leonard Floyd nine, Eli Apple ten. Eli Apple was a top ten pickings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Ohio State looks apart, ran.
Speaker 3: Well, still in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's I mean he never even had a good year.
Speaker 3: Vernon Hargreaves at eleven.
Speaker 1: He was a cover two guy. It didn't run well.
Speaker 3: Sheldon Rankins at twelve.
Speaker 1: Still in the league and it is okay, but not special.
Speaker 3: Tonsa at thirteen would have went much higher, of course. Carl Joseph at fourteen. Fifteen was Coleman. Sixteen was Taylor Decker.
Speaker 1: Which has been solid.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Neil was seventeen, not great. Ryan Kelly was eighteen. Shack loss in nineteen, dron Lee twenty, Fuller docks and Treadwell. William Jackson went twenty four.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: The Steelers took Arty Burns at twenty five.
Speaker 1: Steelers ended up with a handful of these dudes.
Speaker 3: With Actually, Arty Burns is still in the league.
Speaker 1: He signed somewhere yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he signed Miami.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where we once grew up at yeah, tenth tier in the league. I don't know if he's going. It is shocking he's still around, right.
Speaker 3: Paxton Lynch went twenty six to Denver.
Speaker 1: Also ended up in Pittsburgh. It was like five these dudes ended up a Steelers.
Speaker 3: Kenny Clark at twenty seven success, Joshua Garnett to San Francisco at twenty eight. Wow, Robert and DJ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was off the field of stuff with him too, yeah, crazy and work ethic stuff.
Speaker 3: Twenty nine Arizona Carolina took Vernon Butler and at thirty one Germania. Fetti went, that's a pretty bad draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's like five hits, right, I mean, Wentz and Golf are fine, especially Golf, and Wentz fizzled out, but he had a he had his moment. But all in all, and and the guys at the top weren't bad. The ram the top ten was right right right. The blue chip guys were pretty obvious both so you know, those guys all had good careers, but.
Speaker 3: Not a great group. Chris Jones went in the second round that year, which brings me to the defensive tackle stuff like this is a good This was an above average defensive tackle.
Speaker 1: Draft rankins, and I mean there were guys that were good prospects, whether they pan out or I.
Speaker 3: Mean a Shawn Robinson went in the second round, Jaron Reid went in the secondround.
Speaker 1: These guys are still around. Those Bama guys last Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of the high profile positions wide receiver, quarterback kind of a.
Speaker 1: Kind of fizz. So, I mean it's hard to compare classes because they're not ever going to be Apple's d app right, but there are trends and like, I think we'll look at last year's and say, this might be one of the best quarterback classes ever. I mean, I know it's early and some of those guys careers will go south. But the fact that there was tackles too, I mean, the premium positions last year and you know Roma Duneesa is your third receiver, yeah, Harrison and Neighbors, and I mean there was just so many good dudes that we have a defensive player go until Dallas Turner. I mean, like, I think that'll be a historic draft.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think I think when you look at that, what can we learn from that draft? It was the big guys who have hung around the longest.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, even Conkland and you know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean Decker at six. I was gonna say, Okay, that's that's good. Kelly is still still.
Speaker 1: In the league. He's had a good career. Yeah yeah, and they'll not be Hall of Famers Rankins at twelve, he's still still in the league. Kenny Clark, Clark's a major success, Vernon Butler main Effetti is still in the These guys are still in the league. Those guys hang around even if they're not worthy of a first round pick. They end up retiring with a lot of millions in the bank and a lot of years under their belt. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the first pick of the second round was Emmanuel Ogba.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's again, he's again career, Yeah, been around the superstars. But if they're still in the league now, they've done something.
Speaker 3: They've done something disdaining because half the guys in that first round aren't still.
Speaker 1: In the league.
Speaker 3: No, right, and the certainly really didn't. Yeah, I mean there's Corey Coleman played twenty seven career games. Twenty seven. I mean, also the fifteenth pick in a draft.
Speaker 1: I urge people to do this, I mean, go to draftistory dot com pick pull up any draft that's kind of in the books, but you know who's the hits, who's the missing not the last five years, and you might be a little less critical of man Kevin Colbert's last years were terrible, or Boys Steelers can't draft this position, or the draft is not isuccessful as you think. I mean, I'm still a huge believer in drafting being more important than free agency, or I'd rather have draft picks than money. But I mean you look at like some of the best Colbert drafts, it's still three starters, you know. I mean, that's a really good draft.
Speaker 3: Starters out of a draft, and I'm talking not immediate stars. I'm talking they end up two three, You had a good draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it doesn't quite add up.
Speaker 3: And I also think you also have to look at the team as well, Like three starters on a team that goes team that wins ten games as much different than three starters on a team that goes two to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, not to mention the team that won ten to twelve games often where Kevin was picking, and you add three starters drafting late to a team that didn't need eighteen starters, right, you know, I mean, like some of the bad, bad teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's I.
Speaker 1: Mean, you have a fourth round pick that you get four years out of in their contract and he's okay, isn't a miss?
Speaker 3: No? No? Paxton Lynch played five career games? Five? What he played in? Five career games?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah? What does that happen?
Speaker 3: Nobody ever felt good enough about him to make it the starter.
Speaker 1: Didn't play more than that?
Speaker 3: Nope, I'm just Robert and DJ played thirty eight career games. Josh Garnett, who was San Francisco's pick at twenty eight, played twenty five games.
Speaker 1: I say he had like the most nondescript career of anyone in that round. Yeah, I mean, but again, I urge people, even if you just want to do Steeler drafts, look at the last thirty of them and really look at the picks and be like, man, the hit rate's not as good as you think. Or just take twenty fifteen, twenty twenty if you want, and just look at the first round and be like, yeah, a lot of teams missed. Yeah, it happens, or you just get a little bit out of them, or you know, injuries or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's all kinds of reasons why guys fail in the draft, And you know, sometimes it's not the player, it's opportunity. Yes, you know, the scheme doesn't fit.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they get drafted to do one thing and then the whole coaching staff gets fired and.
Speaker 3: That kind have happened well, and he gets erupt out with the old But yeah, I mean I just see some similarities there between that twenty sixteen draft and what we have upcoming.
Speaker 1: No, I think you're right, and I hadn't thought of that, but I do think there's a chance. You see two quarterbacks drafted pretty.
Speaker 3: High and a bunch of defensive linemen, a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of defensive linemen. The early picks seem pretty safe.
Speaker 3: And there's no receiver, which we've seen receivers go high. I'm again Coleman went filth. That seems about the right range for where the receivers start to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean did McMillan run yet, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was a four to four to eight on their track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which isn't as great we yet.
Speaker 3: Which probably is four five five somewhere in that may be.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, which is what he looks like. It's Okay, yeah, that's what he looks like. But people talk about him like four to the Patriots.
Speaker 3: I think that's the way.
Speaker 1: I don't see that. I mean, I can't imagine. Yeah, I'm not sure o'b receiver one.
Speaker 3: I don't think he will be for me. I was tearing before that. I wanted to wait and see how he ran, because if he went out and ran a four, four to two or something in this pro dayly, Okay, he's fast enough.
Speaker 1: I didn't quite pull the trigger on flopping him in Golden in my ranks, but they were due two weeks ago or whatever. Yeah, next time around, I probably will. But Golden could be Coleman too. I mean, none of them are to be superstars in my opinion. They've been to a better class I would say than that. I mean will Fuller and Treadwell, and I mean Treadwell was so.
Speaker 3: Josh Dockson was. Yeah, he was run fast.
Speaker 1: Ran fast, and he had like a forty eight inch or not forty eight, like a forty five inch vertical and they just used to throw him jump balls and he'd go get him like crazy. At TCU eighty one Career Catches, people caught onto that pretty quick. Eighty one career catch couldn't get open, right, Yeah, So anyways, let's get to a break. He is the Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lolly. You're listening to the Drive. You're on the Steelers Audio Network, Matt, and I'll be back with more right after.
Speaker 2: This is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 3: And we are back. I am Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson. And Matt I thought, now that we're a little over a week into the free.
Speaker 1: Agency period, here it feels like longer.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look here, specifically at some of the defensive tackle contracts that were signed. And you tell me if yay or nay, if you'd have been in on this if you were the Steelers.
Speaker 1: Right, Because I assume you bring this up because I think we talked about it yesterday, like if by chance they don't land a big free agent, big money, uh quarterback. Been nice to have that money for Alan Hargrave whatever. And I had some interest in those dudes. Don't get me wrong. We brought up Godshot at one point, but there is a price point here. You know what's it worth? Now, I will say, and I know I saw you on Twitter today. We talked about this yesterday. Talking about contracts is harder than ever because inflation is so crazy, it's insane.
Speaker 3: The money being thrown around this year. Again, you're paying Dollar General, you're at the Dollar General shopping right, but you're paying Walmart price, which is vastly different. So ohso, Diggi zu wa, I'm looking here at this on the thirty thirteen. They just have them in order, okay, and I assume that's yes. I don't know what kind of how they've determined the order, but this is the order that they have them. Ohso, Digi Zua re signed with the Cowboys four years eighty million dollars. Didn't get to the really free agency. Who wanted to go back. They wanted back. They give twenty million dollars a year to come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean that was a franchise tag for a day, just to buy time. Situation. I don't even know. He's an above average starter. I mean, I would say middle of the road starter to above with some upside, and they're not that hard to find. They're not like offensive tackles, you know, or I mean, especially someone to his level. He's a three techning type guy. I mean yeah, I mean all these are going to be too much, don't get me wrong, but there might be one or two I'd be like, oh, I understand it. I'm having a hard time understanding that.
Speaker 3: One page keeps reloading on me here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sometimes there's like it's a little goofy jumping out of pop ups. Yeah, I think it's all the pop ups. Uh So, the next one on.
Speaker 3: Here is is Milton Williams. Four years, one hundred and four million dollars with the Patriots. That's like twenty seven per which is twenty six twenty six. I was thinking he was at twenty seven. It wasn't doing mathll twenty six million dollars for Milton Williams, who again, good player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a great player, A sending player. I like him a lot. I mean, he was a phenomenal tester that you knew was going to be a project. They developed him along and basically him and Jordan Davis would swap opposite Carter who never came on the field, and Williams is worth and is better than Davis and his skill sets harder to find.
Speaker 3: Twenty six million a year better.
Speaker 1: They just won a Super Bowl, so you get a little bump for that, But no, like I mean, if I'm the Steelers, I'm not giving him twenty six million. And the thing is, though the Patriots had to spend on something. I mean, they still one hundred million dollars cash pace them. But a right, right, I don't even know. It's a bad signing for them. You couldn't even no, oh no, no, Steelers couldn't dromp that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Jonathan Allen, good player, good player, three years, sixty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder how much that's guaranteed. Thirty one and deceending a nice pickup at fourteen or fifteen.
Speaker 3: Right, which is what it probably should have been.
Speaker 1: To your thirty five with twenty guaranteed or something like that. Okay, but that's a pretty big commitment to a guy that Washington. Well, this is kind of a side note. Maybe we'll get to them. Washington cuts them and signs a worst player, we'll get to it. Which I think is one of the worst deals in the in all free agency.
Speaker 3: Tershawn Wharton signed with the Panthers three years, forty five million dollars. They thought they had Milton Williams, right, and the Patriots came in and said, oh no, we're gonna here's some more money.
Speaker 1: Just take whatever you want. We need to get to whoever.
Speaker 3: Kirshawn Wharton fifteen million dollars. Ye were pretty average guy Steelers are paying. That's basically what the Steelers are paying Cam Heyward.
Speaker 1: And they're not even close to one another.
Speaker 3: Grady Jarrett. Grady Jarrett got cut by Atlanta and signed a three year, forty three point five million dollar deal to go to the Bears.
Speaker 1: There's no way he's all three. No, she probably knows that. But he's a declining player. I mean, that's like the worst pass rushing team in the league that cuts you, and that's your special He hasn't been good in the last two years, right, I mean he's the guy that relives on quickness and leverage and he just doesn't get off the ball like he used to.
Speaker 3: And you know, Javon Hargrave two years, thirty million dollars is thirty two coming off of torn That.
Speaker 1: Doesn't say he's older than you think, folks, And he's coming off a major injury. And the end.
Speaker 3: I would have been interested in bringing yeah, Javon Hargrave back, but not at fifteen million a year.
Speaker 1: I gonna say twelve. I'd consider it, but again, I don't know that he's a difference maker. Now. It'd be a nice piece, but is he a build a round type of guy? Definitely not.
Speaker 3: Dalvin Tomlinson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a bad one too.
Speaker 3: Two years, twenty nine million dollars. Yeah, again, you released Oagun Joby. The Steelers released Ogunjobi because his camp it was thirteen million, right, right, These guys are blowing by that.
Speaker 1: That's right. He's only a run stuffer and wasn't much a one last year. Right. Other than that, usually those guys hang around and last. But you're also usually like five million just to rent the run stuffer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know JN Reid, who's like thirty four years old, he.
Speaker 1: Kind of always just hangs around. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Two years, twenty two million dollars.
Speaker 1: It's bad. It's not a truck, it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not like some of these other ones.
Speaker 1: Right, he'll get you three sacks a year. Yeah, he'll have some moments. It'll be with another team in a year, you know.
Speaker 3: BJ Hill re signed with the Bengals three years, thirty three million dollars.
Speaker 1: He was more of the problem than the answer last year. Again, he's not terrible. I mean he would start for most teams kind of yeah. I mean like you'd be sixty percent snap guy for most teams and you'd try to draft over right, That's that's what he is.
Speaker 3: An affords that one. I like, he's a very specific time kind of right, right right. I got three years twenty seven point six million dollars from the Rams.
Speaker 1: That's actually kind of funny to me because myself included, the league has been prejudiced against Punaford for as he's he's just tall, but he's really hard to block. And I looked at like the Chargers d tackles last year at this time, like who are these guys? And they played well because.
Speaker 3: He didn't necessarily fit in the Steelers defense.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, he would be a fit here at all. Right, I mean he's a Rams Upfield's free right right, right, He's use him like fist, right, But it's a nice pickup for them. That's a contract I understand.
Speaker 3: At least DJ Jones.
Speaker 1: He was a name a pre or pre free agency I said, at the right price, I would consider him at like eight million.
Speaker 3: Three years thirty nine mob right, that's not the right price.
Speaker 1: No, all he does is stuff to run, and he's good at it. But I thought, eh, you know, you can then groom a nose or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dream Aunt Jones one year, ten million dollars and.
Speaker 1: A year ago Seeattle or two years ago Seattle signed him to huge money which you never lived up to. They cut him. He's not hard to find either. Uh.
Speaker 3: Malik Collins got two years twenty million dollars from the Browns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure. Well, they're so light on the D line. They had a dad something, but he's another. A lot of these guys are rent the players. I mean, these are all you know, you borrow have him for a year or two.
Speaker 3: Jawan Kinlaw that's the worst one. Three years, forty five million dollars for a below average player.
Speaker 1: I would average. I don't think he's a starter, yeah, I mean I would be very uncomfortable with him as a starter. Former first round pick with crazy tools, I mean like super long armed, six six, first guy off the bus, but not really good at football.
Speaker 3: Now, maybe he was miscast in their defense, and you know, but he was missed.
Speaker 1: He was miscast with the Niners and the Jets because this is a third team, yeah, you know, and the project isn't projecting yet. I think that's one of the worst contracts in free agency, to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, some of these other guys in are you know, you're looking at some one year deals, two year deals, but it's less than ten million. But they're also less than ten million dollar year players.
Speaker 1: And that's in a off season where everyone knows the dtackle draft classes is much better than ever, I mean, much better than average for sure too, you know, and they're still handing out those deals. And I don't think there's a shortage of those guys, Like there is tackles like I understand Dan Moore's deal or Jalen Moore's deal even more than half of those. Where am I going? Where other tackles I have to pick from? All those guys. You can kind of shake them up and put them in a bag. And if I got one of them and be like, okay, you know, it'd be the Ogunjobi Roll or whatever.
Speaker 3: Fifteen million years right right right?
Speaker 1: I mean, like they're not special though, well, I mean the bill's hard to find.
Speaker 3: The Bills signed Oguin Jobi one year, eight point three million dollars without knowing that he's going to be suspended for this first six months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were a little hasty, I think too. I mean he got picked up like I felt quick second after the Wheelers let him go. Right. Some of his stuff's injury too. Yeah, he has a history, but that's a lot of these guys really, that's true too. He's not alone on that at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean a lot of these guys have something. I mean, you played ten years in the league, of course you're gonna have some stuff that's happened.
Speaker 1: And he's not like Hardgrave coming off a major injury, you know, like last time we saw him, or he missed significant time and didn't come back and show us yet. You know now that market's kind of yucky shopping right.
Speaker 3: There, Kalais Campbell was still there.
Speaker 1: He's real unique though, Yeah, I mean I wonder if he would even say yes to half the team's out there or is he contemplating retirement.
Speaker 3: They can choose where he wants to go otherwise, and.
Speaker 1: He probably could be like I'll do it after mini camp and into training camp and whenever I feel.
Speaker 3: Like it, right, Rakwon Davis is still out there, just a guy. De Marcus Walker h fought Casey.
Speaker 1: It was interesting three years ago. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Austin Johnson the same thing.
Speaker 1: He was interesting, yeah three years ago, right, I mean some of those guys going off their first contract were interesting.
Speaker 3: John Jenkins, Benito Jones, right, like, this is where you're you know, this is what it is now.
Speaker 1: One name and this goes back to our long conversation yesterday about free agency is getting harder and harder to improve your team. The Raiders kept their nose tackle type. He's not a big name, dude, I forget him. I think Walkers is his last name. I can't remember off the top of my head. But he's a quality player that they didn't go crazy to keep. They signed him right before free agency stuck around. He's gonna be next to Wilkins. He'll give you three or four sacks a game, and he's a loaded to move in the run game. Ye mean, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, right, all right, And there's a couple Butler, Yes, Butler.
Speaker 3: He had three years, sixteen and a half million, so okay, right, yeah, at five and a half million a year, Okay.
Speaker 1: Right, and say that's that's the kind of deal. That's the kind of deal. I was like, Oh, that makes sense. If he would have hit the open market, I would have given him that.
Speaker 3: But not if he'd hit the open market in this market, he'd probably.
Speaker 1: Gets what I'm saying, right, he would have got.
Speaker 3: Three years twenty five right, right?
Speaker 1: Right? Twelve per right? Yeah, because he's got good tape, he's not crazy old.
Speaker 3: You know, he's probably looking disc one. I might fire my agent.
Speaker 1: I think there's an ampule of those guys I keep coming back to. Uh, I'm bad with names right now, the Alaric Jackson, the left tackle for the Rams. If he doesn't sign before free agency, and he's gonna get more Dan Moore, Yeah, I think he got like thirteen. I mean he's he got way less than Dan Moore. He's better and never hit the open market.
Speaker 3: Let's let's take a look at that market, because we both agree that the Steelers should be in that market somewhere. This guy's still out there. Cam Robinson.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure why on him. I mean, at least he could play, and he's been a starter in two places.
Speaker 3: Has not more money than probably an injury.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, I'm not saying name when she give him twenty, but I'm shocked that he hasn't latched on somewhere Jedrick Wills. That interests me. But there might be going on more. There might be more going on there. I know him and the Browns that are falling out, and he was kind of a healthy scratch at the end.
Speaker 3: Well they said he was a healthy scratch. He had an injury before that. Did he have surgery?
Speaker 1: I don't know, And I think he had an injury like a year or two ago, and his play has dropped since that point. But he's a high pedigree ninth pick in the draft type of guy that if he wants to play for three million a year, I mean, is that I don't even know what what you'd offer him.
Speaker 3: I don't know either. Yeah, he's not He probably doesn't want to come in though, to compete for a job.
Speaker 1: No. I want him as a third guy, right, I mean ideally, and I don't mind spend, but.
Speaker 3: He probably thinks he's still a starter.
Speaker 1: Somewhere probably, and from what I remember, he's one of those right tackle. What Bama moved the left tackle in the pros. So if he's your Steeler third guy, could he do both? But is he willing to do both? Do you think he's better than he is? He might?
Speaker 3: You know Tyron Smith left tackle only, he's he's class Campbell, class CAMPB right if he wants to play well. And George Fant he's been on one.
Speaker 1: Hundred teams in around the league a million. He's right tackle only.
Speaker 3: I think Joseph Noteboom not the worst thing I ever heard be interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think he's played both, but I know he has left tackle experience. I mean he's he's better than some of those I'm not making fun a little Raven Clark, but you know they've picked up those guys hanging around forever. No, Boom's better than that level play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dylan Reddens physical. He was visiting somebody to Seattle.
Speaker 1: He's really scheme specific. Yeah, he moves well. I mean if you're on a lot of outside zone, which the Steelers do, but he's not real physical. He's lean.
Speaker 3: Jermainea Fetti, he was in that draft class we were just talking to.
Speaker 1: We just talked around forever. He's a mercer rider at this point too. Yeah, he'll be in the league. But that just screams what the the O lion short is is going on right now?
Speaker 3: Kendall Lamb mhmm. And the last guy on here is Landon Young.
Speaker 1: I don't know who that is.
Speaker 3: But some of the guys, some of these contracts, these guys have signed, like Morgan Moses got three years, twenty four million dollars Patrick McCarry.
Speaker 1: I actually think that's fine.
Speaker 3: Three years thirty seven and a half million dollars for Patrick McCary, who he might not be a tackle, he's older than you think. Yeah, Josh Jones got one year, four million. Dan Skipper resign with the Lions one one year for one point three Kelvin Beacham still getting four million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: Great for Yeah, he's not like the other ones where it's like he's just sticking around. He's no good. He's had a good career.
Speaker 3: The Browns signed Cornelius Lucas two years, six point five million.
Speaker 1: These ones don't bother me as well. Yeah, I mean they're three million. I mean just because you have to have a tackle backup.
Speaker 3: James Hudson got twelve million over two years with the Giants.
Speaker 1: There's so much good tape out there.
Speaker 3: Matt Pert resigned with the Broncos two year, seven million dollars. Chuma Edgua a Dogu, I should say, signed with the Jags two years, seven million dollars. Larry Borham still hanging around. He got two point five from the Dolphins. But at the top of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, the top stuff's crazy, you know.
Speaker 3: Twenty million, yeah, Jaylaen Moore got fifteen, Moses got eight.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm cool with that, just because it's the Patriots and they had to spend their money. It's kind of Milt Williams conversation. At least give me I'm gonna draft o line like crazy, give me the adult in the room that comes to work every day or right tackle.
Speaker 3: But to your point, Alaric Jackson three years fifty seven point seven to five million before free agency started, he could have gotten well over twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh he left twenty on the on the table over three years. Yeah, easily easily, probably be twenty guaranteed. It's just not a good pool to be You never want to shop in shopping it right, and I know it doesn't seem like much, but like when you assign Thornhill or even one more d lineman like they have a couple of these small signings they've made lately might allow you to draft a third or fourth round tackle that you hadn't planned one before, you know, and then you don't ever shop in those waters, right, you just keep don't keep me out of those waters. There's sharks everywhere.
Speaker 3: In his watch and they just keep churning those guys, and yeah, seem maybe.
Speaker 1: One of them turned to a guard or you know, right any yesterday, some of them might be your sixth lineman for four plays a game.
Speaker 3: Okay, play a lot in the preseason. Absolutely, But let's get to a break. He is the Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lollie. You're listening to the Drive here on the Steelers Audio Network, Matt and I'll be back with more right after this.
Speaker 2: At least he's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold cast in Steeler. There's Nation Radio.
Speaker 3: And welcome back. I'm Dale Lolly here with the Matt Williamson. And there are other podcasts out there, Oh yeah, there's plenty.
Speaker 1: Back in the day when there was like Mining and two others back in the day, and what the heck's a podcast?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, Cam Hayward has his own podcast, Not Just Football with Cam Hayward, And today he said that he just wants this quarterback situation. He's kind of like the rest of us, just ask the quarterback situation to be done one way or the other and doesn't he's ready to move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and obviously that ties into Aaron Rodgers. I mean, that's no secret at this point. And to me, Aaron Rodgers has every right to take as long as he wants. Short.
Speaker 3: He's making a lifetime decision, no question.
Speaker 1: He might.
Speaker 3: He could retire, he done.
Speaker 1: He could walk the earth. Yeah, you know, whatever he wants to do. The pulp fiction reference for our friend Justin who finally jumped on board. Yeah, so if he wants to roam the earth, do whatever you want. If you want to throw footballs for the Vikings or Giants, you're allowed whatever. But there's also a courtesy involved too, and other people are obviously waiting on you. Both can be true, right, you know, And frankly he shouldn't care what me, you and our listeners think, but it makes it easier for a new team to move on if they have answers sooner than later. I mean, this is a moving train, as we always say. And I don't know exactly what.
Speaker 3: Camp say, and I didn't understand. We're eight days in the free really not even eight day which seems like tomorrow will be the first week officially a free agency. Wait, everybody gets excited about the early signing period. That's you know, the early right tampering period. Free agency didn't start until four o'clock.
Speaker 1: On I'm the late years eight days old. Yeah, which you put it that way, it's like six years old, six or six years old, right right, And you put it that way, it's like, what are we all in a huff about? But twenty nine teams have their quarterback and there's a couple that don't. And I don't even know. If it's twenty nine, I would say, I'm giants. I would say, is a no, Steelers don't.
Speaker 3: Giants don't. The Steelers don't, the Titans don't, the Browns the mite.
Speaker 1: I was giving the Titans credit just to say that he's in college right.
Speaker 3: Now as we sit here right now, they do not have No, they don't. They're not going back to what they have.
Speaker 1: No, but their world's a little different because they have their choice of the litter from the still draft. But right as we sit here right now, but right, yeah, and they need to know. I mean it's because at that position, it's not I don't have my left guard. I mean, it's just.
Speaker 3: At the same time, nobody's doing anything right now, right things. There are no football type activities going on other than guys training on their own. Right OTAs don't start for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: If Rogers would assigned to the Steelers or Giants or whatever five days ago, yeah, he'd have their iPad and their playbook and he'd be learning, and maybe he'd be in touch with Pickens and metcalf or come up for a throwing session or maybe who knows, Or maybe he'd be on vacation, you know, which is also perfectly fine, because there's not They have busy lives too. I mean they're allowed to vacation. They have millions of dollars they can spend however they want, et cetera. No, you're right, I mean it's not he's not in Egypt in doing mini camp or whatever, and there's no reason to even get mad at him. He is every right in the world.
Speaker 3: He's making a decision right, right, this is do I want to play another year? Do you want to play for this team? Do want to play for that team? Fine?
Speaker 1: But what none on the above right, And it's a big decision now.
Speaker 3: One of the things that is out there I think there's a misconception about, and it involves Russell Wilson and his joining of the Steelers. Last year, I wrote a big story on this that was ended up being a program piece for one of the one of the games. And so I talked to Russell Wilson, I talked to Cam Heyward, I talked to t J. Watt, I talked to Minka Fitzpatrick about the process a year ago at this time, how did that take place? I think there was a perception out there that Watt and Hayward and Fitzpatrick all called Russell Wilson to recruit him to be a Steeler. That's not what happened. He called them to let them know that he a wanted to join the Steelers because and be he wasn't coming in here to take over the locker room or anything like that. He wanted to he wanted to be a part of this because he thought they had a chance to win and I don't know, and he wanted to call the team leaders too.
Speaker 1: Did the Steelers reach out to him before that or don't you know? They had?
Speaker 3: They had spoken which and before he made a decision whether he came here or not, he reached out to those guys. Hayward told me that he spent over an hour on the phone with Russell Wilson just talking and they had a relationship with Walter Payton, Man of the Year.
Speaker 1: They all know each other now I mean water agents.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Watt and Wilson are both Wisconsin guys, so they had cross paths at different times, so they talked make ahead. It wasn't as long of a talk as he had with Hayward. Yeah, yeah, and the same thing with Micking Fitzpatrick. It wasn't a long talk, but he talked to said, Hey, I'm just coming in to be one of the guys, so I would have call him though.
Speaker 1: You might have a better feel for this than me, But Fields isn't the oldest guy out there, but I'm sure he has somebody he knows on the Jets and yeah, where he put.
Speaker 3: Star wide receiver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if you think that had something to do with him signing there, You don't think he reached out to Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 3: Think they talked a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was going kind of a different direction. But if you're Rogers or Wilson and you've been around the league as long as them, you're absolutely calling the team leaders, even if you've never speaken to Minka or Watt in your life, Like, hey, it's Aaron you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I met you at the Pro Bowl three years ago.
Speaker 1: Right right? Or my agent gave me your number, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, or maybe a shareon agent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know exactly. And they can get in touch with each other. I've been around the block. How's life there? How close do you think you are? Let's be honest with me and you know, and that's what they should do.
Speaker 3: But I don't. That's not happening right now with Aaron Rodgers all because Heyward said he said, I ain't doing no darkness retreat. I don't need any of that crap. Either you want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler or you don't. That's simple. That's the pitch. If you want to be if you want me to recruit. That's the recruiting pitch Pittsburgh Steelers. If you want to be a part of it, so be it. If you don't, no skin off my back.
Speaker 1: And that's what I'm saying, Aaron, we don't want you or I hate you. Absolutely, people were.
Speaker 3: Taking it that right, he says. No, he's saying, Look, we're the Pittsburgh Steelers. If you want to be a part of what we got here, sign up for it. If you don't, you want to go to the Giants, you want to go to the Vikings, wherever you want to go, fine, that's your choice.
Speaker 1: But we're pretty transparent organization. We've been doing things this way and it's been successful. And if that's not something you're going to be a part of, so be it. Move on. But we need to know, we need to know that's a thing. Again. Rogers has every right to take this months if he wants, but the Steelers also have every right to say, hey, if you don't tell me by the end of the week, we'd we're done. Because moving train.
Speaker 3: It's a moving train, and they want to they want to know.
Speaker 1: They gotta know.
Speaker 3: We get asked about this all time. How many times you think Cam Hayward gets asked who the Steelers quarterback is going to be, right right, and he doesn't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure anybody knows.
Speaker 3: Nor one person knows what's in his mind, and that's Yan Rodgers.
Speaker 1: And he still might hasn't apparently not made his mind up. Do you think he take the Vikings though, over the Steelers or Giants. I don't see the Giants of the Steelers. It's just money, yeah, And he doesn't want to move his house or whatever. The Vikings won to me is kind of weird.
Speaker 3: I don't see it because at some point the Vikings are going to want to play the tenth overall.
Speaker 1: Pick in last year, right right? I mean like if I were him and I thought I could definitely make a case that I have a better chance to win sure there than here. Not the Giants obviously, and it's an appealing situation. It's a throwing justin. Jefferson looks great. You know, you're very familiar with the division and you've played against that organization eight thousand times. I just don't know that the Vikings are really equipped to do that, or to rock a boat with his personality when you put him on the bench eventually, or I don't know. I just like he's gonna come in a mentor he's not exactly known for the quarterback of the future who you drafted tenth overall last year. Now, maybe McCarthy's injuries not healed as well as we thought. That would be concerning to me.
Speaker 3: But they haven't done anything like they could have kept Daniel.
Speaker 1: Jones said, But why you would just give Daniel Jones that opportunity or Darnold for that reason, right, they could have done franchised.
Speaker 3: They could have done either of those things, and they chose not to. And oh, by the wa we spent like drunken sailors in free agency.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean, because since then they've spent so much. Now you're you gonna spend again on Rogers. I don't know. That's why it doesn't quite add up, because if you were super concerned about his injury, slap the franchise tag on Donald.
Speaker 3: You know, we're make Daniel Jones an offer. He can't refuge like Daniel you were here, you're our guy.
Speaker 1: You've been around right right, you know, I don't know if Minnesota is real. I think the Giants are very real.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jones leaving tells me that they think he's going to be ready for the start of the season.
Speaker 1: I assume.
Speaker 3: So Otherwise, Daniel Jones just sticks around, says, I'm going to be the starting quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings. I got Jefferson, I've got this. I can go out there and be the next Sam Donald, even if it's over. My first six starts of the year look great with these guys, and then they benched me for McCartney. Okay, but I put six games of good tape out there with good Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'd rather compete with McCarthy, even if it's a tougher test than Richardson or if McCarthy.
Speaker 3: If McCarthy, let's say he's he's not ready six weeks into the season. If I'm Daniel Jones, I'm going to get all the training camp snaps, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Whereas in Indianapolis, you're getting fifty.
Speaker 1: I'mna have to split him at best, and you're gonna lose.
Speaker 3: The tie and then and then, yeah, you're gonna lose the tie. And they might want to give Richardson more just because like.
Speaker 1: He's our guys, he's the he's the Freedom Rep's like crazy, we don't start taking them away then you might. We don't know anything to you, yeah, other than this contract. Yeah him.
Speaker 3: We use the fourth overall pick in the draft for Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think any way you spin it, you'd rather go to Minnesota than Indy if you're Daniel.
Speaker 3: Jones, which tells me that that Minnesota feels like McCarthy's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Rogers Park doesn't add up. It would if they wouldn't have spent on all those linemen in the last week. Now. I don't know how you swing it, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyways, let's get to a break. He is the Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lawy. You're listening to the Drive here on the Steelers Audio Network. We'll be back with hour number two right after this