Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Wednesday, September thirteenth. The Ravens are preparing for a Week two divisional matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals. A Head coach John Harball met with the media after practice to look ahead to that game.
Speaker 2: We don't have JK. That's disappointing.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a great player, he's a great guy, and you know, obviously anytime you have a player like that in your roster, that's a big deal. You know, he's an explosive, explosive athlete, ball carrier, receiver. But I'm very confident the guys we have stepping in there as well. We have very good players stepping in and they're excited for their opportunity.
Speaker 4: I think with the switch of coordinators there was some question as to Patrick Riccard what his role would be in their offense. You guys used him.
Speaker 2: I think on twenty year snaps.
Speaker 4: What does he represent for this team? And why do you think you able to find fits? You know, it's obviously moving in a different direction than the season past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's a good football player and you have a good football player on your team. Them want to use him.
Speaker 3: You know, so how many plays it is from week to week, I think that'll be it won't be like the same, It'll be whatever it is that week, based on whatever's that going on. But he's a good football player. He brings what he brings. You know what he brings. I mean you see it every day when you watch him play, right, and it's it's it's effective, it's it's it's a meaningful, meaningful reps when he's out there doing what he does well. So I'm very happy we have my our team John.
Speaker 5: I think in training cap he was noticeable that now how many think he's a little more vote He said he was more comfortable communicating.
Speaker 4: How much do you have to lean on him now with Marcus.
Speaker 5: Potentially missing some time and just how much does it help that he's kind of taken more of that communications.
Speaker 2: Leadership roles, right. I mean, he's had a great camp.
Speaker 3: He's done everything that he's been asked to do in different roles, you know, position wise, moving around. He's still capable of doing that. We still have all those options at our disposal with the guys are putting out there, and yeah, I'm sure he'll be very vocal, but he was before, you know. Uh so that's what that's the way we're roll.
Speaker 6: He coached him as eight flowers, and he looked like he was being the leaf for a long time.
Speaker 7: He's always his vision of being always hunger and hungered.
Speaker 4: For the game. How good is it this for he's developed as a as a play well.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, he's chomping at the bit to get out there and the show what he can do. He made the big catch over the middle into the red zone. I had, you know, a lot of really good blocks. He was He's running routes fast. I was happy for him, you know. So he's just gonna build off of that, and he's gonna have a lot of great days in front of him.
Speaker 7: A challenge against the biggest offense that I mean a lot of students didn't yeah.
Speaker 2: Cheese, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And we're very familiar with their their talent. I mean, they've had it. They've a very talented offense. Obviously got a great back, got a great quarterback. Uh you know, so we played him a lot, they played us a lot. We're very familiar with one another.
Speaker 6: I mean, they obviously did not play up to their standards in their opener against Cleveland.
Speaker 8: I mean, do you just I mean, do you.
Speaker 6: Throw that out to some agree and assume that they'll be the team that US did in the past years, or how do you treat that first getting Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just we're playing, We're playing. We know how good they are. You know, we're getting ready to play the game. It's gonna be played this week, not the one that was played last week by either team. Same thing goes for us. I mean, you never stay the same, So we're getting ready for next week. I'm sure they're doing the same.
Speaker 9: Tell you mentioned after the game about the pass rush that you know, it was a lot to talk about before seeing, but I I'm assuming you would please with what you saw Sunday. Can you talk about I guess what you saw and you know, moving forward?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I mean I saw exactly what I told you we would see, you know, and then those guys were bringing it. So it was exciting and fun and uh, you know, we've got we got a new challenge in front of us this week, and and uh you know, we got to get better. Those guys are determined to keep getting better. And uh, you know, obviously pass rush pressure, sacks, hurries, batted balls, those are very important, you know, aspects of pass defense to the National Football League.
Speaker 2: So I like the way they played. We got to get better, keep getting better.
Speaker 10: Respect from the bank, and so to challenge respective u.
Speaker 11: S teach just start jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the challenge is the guys.
Speaker 3: You know, that's that is football, and uh that's why guys as we as we spoke about last week are on the roster. You know, they're they're starting caliber players or they wouldn't be, you know, in the league the way I look at it, especially on this team. So those guys are, uh, those guys are ready to roll, man, and they're gonna go out there and play. And we respect their pass rush, we respect their run defense. Uh, we respect everything. Uh uh we it's our it's our job to go out there and do our job, you know, and our guys are looking forward to the opportunity to do that.
Speaker 7: Right last one or John Fans have a very sec team the last year where they got.
Speaker 10: Some story in the safety game. Seven year players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, they're playing the same defense they filled. They're filling the roles that that have been built into the defense. They did a nice job doing that.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 3: Uh, the Hill kid, we got a little a little knowledge of he's kind of kind of we're familiar with the family there. You know, it's a good family. So uh but uh that's uh that they're good players and they're they're in that defense, they're doing what the defense has been doing. I thought they had a good start.
Speaker 1: That was that coach Sean Harball. We also heard from quarterback Lamar Jackson. He talked about the Week one performance and also discussed his mindset going into this game against the Bengals.
Speaker 6: You mentioned that you were a little rusty last game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, since you didn't play a pre preseason and now you complete the first you know, week one, how do you feel as we now looking towards uh Cincinnatis.
Speaker 12: I feel I felt pretty good. I feel pretty good. Just the three mishaps during the game, that's what I felt I was arrested at.
Speaker 8: But other than I.
Speaker 12: Felt I was a pretty good A couple of years since you've been able to go with like in Cincinnati.
Speaker 11: Yeah, how any how, Cup was it watching your players can play WITHOUE And how excited were you about being there for.
Speaker 8: The you know, you were in this game, so uh, very tough. One, I was injured.
Speaker 12: Two I wasn't able to travel with my guys and you know, support 'em, and you know, just being out of the game, it was That's not something I wanna do ever again. But just going back to Cincinnati, you know, great atmosphere, great crowd. You know, I got some of the Louisville guys in the area and stuff like that. So it's great support from you know, the Raven fan base and in Louisville.
Speaker 8: So it's great to be there.
Speaker 6: Mark, and you you create what it was like in your house last year when you're watching that last game. Your guys are on the goalie and then all of a sudden you see Sam Hubbard going.
Speaker 11: The other way.
Speaker 8: I'd rather not because we lost that game, but yeah, I was watching the game.
Speaker 12: You know, we was doing pretty good, and uh, I feel like it was my fault a little bit because I had to go use the restroom get up, and by the time I wa walking to the after I'm hearing cheers.
Speaker 8: I'm like, like, what happened? What happened? I look in ninety four running the other way, so I almost hit my screen. But you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 4: Lamar you know, obviously you guys are shifting the offense this year, but.
Speaker 2: Have a car still has a role here and played.
Speaker 4: Almost half the snaps on Sunday. What do you think he represents with this offense and and how do you feel when he kind of lines up behind you on the field.
Speaker 12: Uh, Pancake pat Man. You know that that name just fits him. You know, he the guy laying people out, doing pancakes and stuff like that. Uh, catching the ball sometimes out the batfield, running route sometimes.
Speaker 8: You know, p Pat must to do it all, you know, and he helps our offense out a lot.
Speaker 9: Lamar, do you.
Speaker 5: Feel like almost like you haven't been able to give your your the team? I mean not just you, but the team hasn't been able to give the Bangles your best shot these last couple of years down the stretch because of the various injury situations.
Speaker 13: And all that.
Speaker 12: Uh, yeah, I believe so. But you know that that just happens in football. You know, It's just happened to happen every time we play them. You know we have we have a lot of injuries or key guys go down versus them. But you know it's no excuses, you know, we we all got guys in the NFL, you know who who's getting paid the bus there behind.
Speaker 8: So it is what it is more now tough is it gonna be how to do this week? And you know you you know, you don't have JKB.
Speaker 7: Okay, you know Ronnie isn't practice in uh little ball and tout practice other talks.
Speaker 2: It when you don't have those calas.
Speaker 8: Uh, it's tough, you know, just because they are key players.
Speaker 12: But you know, we got guys who who gonna step up, you know and lead us, you know, out there on that field and do what they supposed to do.
Speaker 10: You talking about them JK.
Speaker 7: You know obviously it's.
Speaker 10: As Chelsea or in that type.
Speaker 8: It's different.
Speaker 12: Uh, just with that, but you know they have bust classes to try, all three of those guys just different you know period, you know. But well those guys also as explosive as well, just like JK, you know, and they gonna go out there and do what they supposed to do to help us win games.
Speaker 14: Ever more, when it comes to the center in particular, that's pretty important exchange from him to you, how is that is it gonna take some time to get used to that and with someone who's not tied.
Speaker 12: We we we're starting practice, you know, just practicing, getting extra repts, getting extra snaps.
Speaker 8: Uh, just because he's not Tyler.
Speaker 12: You know, Tyler's usually a guy who gets all the sn who me and him always exchange the snaps together. But uh, you know it's we were gonna work, we go, we gonna find a way to make it happen.
Speaker 8: No, that's a job to to do it or not.
Speaker 7: Many times since you FI with rass and have you guys been kind of considered underdogs? You know with coming you're playing, you're considered favorites this week because the agreies you know about the us about it, do you kind of relish the the times playing more are kind of considered underdog.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: I love being the underdog.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 12: I really don't care to be hyped up or you know they uh people just saying displaying like we on top of the league or anything like that. You know, I'd rather be the underdog because we always got something to prove and we always got a chip on our shoulder to go out there and win the game.
Speaker 5: What more is there a sense of they have what you guys want with the division titles and kind of the they're the hunted team at this point and in terms of your guys eyes.
Speaker 12: To be honest, we just got to go and focusing on the game at a time. Don't really care about you know, where we're ranked right now. You know, we just tryna go in there and win. You know, it's a division opponent more or last week.
Speaker 10: And have y'all set up markets communities you got there an ever options they have to up the tall get I think it's.
Speaker 5: All to be get one.
Speaker 4: So we wanted.
Speaker 10: H for y'all that option you can.
Speaker 8: You you have taken. Uh, just making a great decision not to play.
Speaker 12: You know, if if the defense gives gives me the ability to you know, run, give me the look to run, I'll run it, you know. But other than that, I'm just trying to put my team in the best position, not coold.
Speaker 7: Did you see that, your buddy that you gave your too.
Speaker 8: You didn't run as much?
Speaker 2: Did you see that comments?
Speaker 12: I think I've seen that yesterday. But I mean they didn't give me the chance to run, so it was cool. You know, we got the dub. I really don't care about running.
Speaker 2: We won.
Speaker 1: That was quarterback Lamar Jackson. You could tell that he's excited about this divisional matchup.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 1: Another big player for the Ravens is going to be running back Gus Edwards. JK Dobbins towards Achilles in the season opener and he has lost for the season, So that means that Edwards is going to be in line for an even bigger role than expected, and he talked about that today when he met with the media.
Speaker 13: Guys.
Speaker 4: Considering you know the timeline that both you and JK had with your injuries a couple of years ago, I mean, how tough is it to see him have to go.
Speaker 2: Through this again and know what he's facing, you know, with another rehab like that. It's tough.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 13: The game could be unfair sometimes or the timing was just terrible for him. I know how hard he been working in the off season and how emotional he was before the game to be finally back, all three of us healthy and ready to go. Uh. I feel for him, you know, I checked up on him after the game. He's in good spirits. He's a tough guy and I know he gonna grind it out and he trust God's playing.
Speaker 8: So how do you feel? You know, you with the loss of of Jak how p how does this run game?
Speaker 13: How does it go for it? That's what we we get paid to do. Next guy, Uh mentality. Everybody got a family to feed, so we gotta step up and do that.
Speaker 15: Well what kuh?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 10: What do you feel like you would want the Justice brain? That's maybe different JJ Berners. Honestly play You're a different in the two year old year.
Speaker 13: Uh we could make we make plays. I I guess I bring a physical aspect. Justice is more more Uh speed a j agility guy. You know, I'm I'm excited for him too because I know he he's been he's primed to to have a good year. He's been working his tail off too, So I'm I'm excited for him to see what he does.
Speaker 9: Cause is a barberary of the Bangles. Uh do you feel like it's kicked up or now the last few years cause of just you know how they good good you guys have been, how good they become and like how important the game games have been to twenty guys.
Speaker 13: It's important we they w they on our schedule every every year more than once, feel like we always playing them. Uh, were ready for it? It's gonna be a physical game. Everybody's down then and we kN we know how big this is. It's early in the year, but it's it's a big game for us.
Speaker 16: Ya.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 7: He had this you know, raally sport for the last three times at Cincinnati, but didn't.
Speaker 11: Have for more in any of those games.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 7: How big is going up since at this game?
Speaker 13: Yeah, we we lost a couple of times, but I feel like we played strong games. You know, we was in those games til of every end. And with Lamar back, we got our leader back, and it's gonna be a lot of more big plays, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Cause MS while Yeah, in uh training camp kind of on the schedule, Like how fresh you feel at this point a week?
Speaker 8: Do and see soon? I feel great? I feel great.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 13: Practice has been good going well for me. Uh, haven't really been feeling having no setbacks. I'm ready, honestly, first game with the you know, new offense. Do you feel like having that game or about out work out some of the kings in this game? Yeah, we we definitely seen a lot of things that we had to work on. We hit those right on, didn't didn't dodge anything, didn't try to be secretive of buy anything. And we hit it right on and we we we got to work right, uh right back to work on it and making sure that we fixed fixed everything that we we messed up.
Speaker 7: Uh you would today ro Ronnie wasn't out there, Piler and Center wasn't out there. If those guys can't go, how big of a challenge, how big of a a test does it go into since at.
Speaker 13: Not having two of your your story homes. Oh, just just like the running back room is next guy up mentality? I f I feel like the old line, No, that too, they gotta step up. These are the players are stepping in. I believe all they They've gotten some playing time with us too, they get a lot of practice reps. They'll be ready and I'll have faith in them.
Speaker 10: What's got up?
Speaker 15: I know you know you said the next day and up a couple of times, and with JK going down for you personally, knowing you know the workloads about to increase and your important team this offense, how much do you take it upon yourself to kind of think, look, I gotta step up.
Speaker 13: That now's my time to do I'm I'm I I always been preparing like like like I was gonna get a lot of carries, so it's not really m too much of a difference for me, uh, making sure, just making sure that I'm conditioning and feeling good during practice, wearing myself out in practice so that way the game is easier for me. And I already been doing that, so I should be straight.
Speaker 10: What's the challenge that they that defensively? And is there any actu other day that you did a way that last.
Speaker 13: Times with that? Just that they they are team that know us and we know them. They're a team that that that I would say they they they they kind of like get guys to to on a team to try to like defend us, and we do the same. So we're very aware of with each other. I know it's gonna be, like I said, it's gonna be a physical game. The crowd is gonna be in there, everybody's gonna be in it. It's early on this season, but it's a big game and we're gonna treat.
Speaker 9: It like that.
Speaker 1: That was running back Gus Edwards. Another key player who is gonna have to step up is safety Kyle Hamilton. Next to him, Marcus Williams went down with a peck injury in the season opener. He's gonna be out for the foreseeable future, So that means that there's gonna be a lot of pressure on the second year safety Kyle Hamilton looked good during the season opener. He talked about offsetting the loss of Marcus Williams and his expectations moving forward.
Speaker 7: What's kind of the challenge for the secondary where you don't have.
Speaker 4: Marlin and.
Speaker 7: Trying to say something like that, and what's kind of the challenging with that secondary and.
Speaker 15: Not having true to your parents.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean those are two guys who was hard to make up for, or two of the best in our league. And you don't just come across guys like that very often. But I think we challenge ourselves every day and our coaches harp on it in practice that everybody has to be ready to play. They preach if you're in there, you're a starter. So I think guys like Gino and Ronald Darby, we brought in Rock. You're seeing Lamar salty because I took a spot in the podium. Uh but uh, yeah, I mean everybody's ready to play at any point.
Speaker 11: So guys, here's something included.
Speaker 16: I mentioned how good the communication was had, how much it improved since the last year, announcing it in game action and seeing what you guys did on the field.
Speaker 15: How much do you feel like that was important?
Speaker 4: How much further do you guys?
Speaker 16: Yeah, to your latter part, I think we can get a lot better with it. Myself included. Uh, I feel like that was the first time the starters got live bullets, and like we didn't play in PREZ and stuff like that, and uh, hitting people taking hits in the game, you get a little more tired, and it's a little harder communicate, and there's still stressful times and games where maybe we get a call late or there's a communication there and safeties have to relay it to DB's who are coming back from covering a go rounte stuff like that. It's just little nuances of the game that we'll get ironed out. But I think we did a good job overall. Not really any busted players or anything like that, and no balls over our head last week, So just try to do more the same.
Speaker 6: With eight months of perspective, What did you take away from that last game in Cincinnati last year? Obviously with disappointing ending, but especially on defense you guys.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean, and in the last year that was it was low key mid obviously won to win a Super Bowl every year and pretty mid result last year. But this year, trying to make in a w and uh, you know, we've played these guys to our last three games, gonna be three out of last four, so getting familiar with them, and you know they're they're a good team, and we're going in there with a good game plan and just got to execute. We'll come out on top.
Speaker 11: Last year against you already big game when you go against your brow up, this kind of like hit when they.
Speaker 16: Yeah, he's super disciplined and the way he plays, he he takes what he can get and the great ones do that.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 16: He's very good at knowing what you're in and what you're uh. If you're not holding your looks very well, he's gonna uh dice you up. So we gotta be disciplined in our looks and try to make it a little cloudy for him, not making a clear picture.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 16: But yeah, like you said, he's a great quarterback and it's a big challenge for us, and they have weapons all over the field. So uh but like I said, earlier. I think we have the guys to to do it and contain it and hopefully go out there and get it.
Speaker 2: Ub you brought.
Speaker 4: The game your mind.
Speaker 16: Yeah, uh, playoff game was let's say it's September, so what eight months ago and obviously nothing we you can do about that now. And we got another opportunity, thankfully coming up to right that wrong. And I think it's more for myself be where your feed or kind of deal and get better from what you messed up in the past. But there's you always have opportunity in front of him, take advantage of it.
Speaker 5: You've only been you know, your second year. But did you sense maybe those Bengals games last year was a little chippier than your average NFL game you play on Sunday. Do you feel like there's lingering kind of rivalry bad beloved there at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I mean, and like I was saying earlier, be with your feeder. But at the same time, we got to appreciate the past, and I understand the rivalry that goes into playing at Cincinnati and playing in the AFC North. In general, all four teens are what I would say rivals, and there's a pretty gritty understanding within the whole division, and you gotta be a certain kind of player to play on all four of these teams. So I think we take that mentality in every Division game and every other game as well, but especially Division games as they feel a little a little more like you got a little edge on your shoulder, chip on your shoulder going in the into there. And last year there are a couple of games who were that were pretty important. You know, the first game we played them last year was a week after the whole Tomorrow Hamlin thing happened, and that was a little heavy going in there and just understand what we're playing for and uh sacrifices that go into and how hard we play. And then second game going to the playoff game, obviously big implications on that. So this game game two in the season, it's hard to look down the line and see the impact of it, but this is a pretty big game for us early in the year.
Speaker 2: It's a good test.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much time you've got a chance to look at their week one film on all offense, but it seems like it was a lot of you know, dis guys coverages, changing up the picture, free stamped co snap. Did it feel like there were certain things that they took from how you guys played Joker for the last year Cleveland seen.
Speaker 16: I mean, every defense varies person in person, team to team. I know there's also some egos involved with DC taking taking other DC's play stuff like that, kind of believing their own stuff. But at the same time, I feel like we execute what we go out there and do differently than a lot of people, and it's hard to replicate. I mean, last week the Browns did a good job. They're physical and stuff like that, but that's not much about what the Browns do. It's not gonna have an impact on Sunday. You know, they're gonna be motivated to come in and home opener and play division rival, and they want to get a win too, so we have to go in play our bus football and get a win.
Speaker 14: You mentioned Gino as a guy who can step up, and he played a lot last year with Marcus. How important is chemistry on the back end and oh, well, do you feel you guys will.
Speaker 2: Kind of get each other back.
Speaker 16: Yeah, they're all worldly included. We all play probably too much video games together, a lot of Call of duty, So we go through some some arguments on the game, so we can definitely handle each other out here, but I mean in the locker room, in the lunch room, during lunch everything, it kind of feels like we're all brothers. All come from different backgrounds. I'm probably twelve years younger than and some guys in the locker room, but we all feel like we're kind of same. And that also stems with the dB room, a bunch of different guys. But like I said, Geno d World, everybody else in the room included. It's a kind of a one family, one unit kind of thing. And one guy goes down, it sucks for him, praying for him, but at the same time, it's another opportunity for another got to prove what he can do. So I'm excited for everybody, and Lamar's kicking me off the stand, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That was safety Kyle Hamilton. You also heard from Gus Edwards, Lamar Jackson, and head coach John Harbaugh. This is the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Make sure you leave a rating and a review. Hit that subscribe button as well. Also head over to the Lounge podcast. We do a full breakdown on what we saw against the Houston, Texans, and also look ahead to this week's matchup against the Bangles. That's it for us here today on the Ravens Press Past podcast, but stay tuned for more to come this week.