Speaker 1: Welcome to the NFL Daily, where we feel guilty that the first pup designation of the year gave me a little joel. I'm Greg Rosenthal and be I'm lucky today to have a house full of stars, Patrick Clayban, Steve Weisch and for the first time, Colleen Wolf.
Speaker 2: I'm back.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I haven't been in the studio for like two months. I think it was the end of May, so now a little over. I guess, like what a month and a half or so, it.
Speaker 1: Was May twenty third. I will remember that. Yep. Hm.
Speaker 3: So I'm back and many things have changed, and it's great to see all of your faces in this new chapter. But I'm excited to see what NFL Daily is going to be.
Speaker 2: I know it's going to be great.
Speaker 3: And Greg, I'm excited to still be working together.
Speaker 2: I think that that's exciting. And White I haven't seen you in it feels like forever.
Speaker 1: And Patrick too.
Speaker 4: Patrick, I mean, gosh, this is great. It's it is. It's different to not be here all the time.
Speaker 2: Guys, it's unplugging and then plugging back in.
Speaker 1: You're struggling a little bit. Let's be honest. You've spent the last, you know, fifteen minutes trying to figure out the internet.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's a computer, and as it turns out, when you haven't been physically at work for a minute, things just you know, aren't working as they normally do.
Speaker 2: So I have no Internet. That's fine. We're just gonna ride.
Speaker 5: It out as long as the key fob works to get you in the building.
Speaker 2: I was worried about that. I was like, oh my god, where is my past.
Speaker 1: I don't even know where that is. Yeah it is. Uh, it's been a transition, but we are. We are here. We're in the Chris Wesleyan podcast studio. Means something to me. We had we had Nick Westling on yesterday. I heard check that out and yeah, it means a lot to me. You're gonna be part of the show. We got you weakly. Yeah, moving forward and in the season. I'm excited about what you're gonna do then and in the meantime we'll talk football.
Speaker 2: And you have a new jacket.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I really like this one.
Speaker 1: I just I did, thank you. They all kind of look alike but didn't have this color, all this color, and I did. Yeah, I did get on Emica just like can you help me. I just feel like I need It's a new season, we need, we need some things.
Speaker 3: She's got a great eye, Emica, like this is You're gonna get a lot of use out of this. It's a first little color. I'm excited for you, the show and the jacket.
Speaker 1: I am also excited for today's show because we're debuting a new segment. Every segment's new at this point. Yeah, Judge Connie, I don't know why, but just.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, Patrick, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Colleen just feels like a person that should be in charge of courtrooms. What's the truth, what's not?
Speaker 5: And judge judging people.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we're gonna we're gonna argue my natural state. We're gonna argue some NFL topics, some opinions, and we'll have two different sides and Connie Wild decide who's right, who's wrong, and maybe doll out some punishment. We haven't really set parameters, but we will find out.
Speaker 6: Okay, but it is not guilty or or guilty you know at Wish we're there.
Speaker 1: No, we're not. We're not going anywhere we can.
Speaker 3: This is more of like a civil suit, not like I mean, I could be guilty.
Speaker 5: I'll be guilty.
Speaker 1: The only place your comant is right back here pretty often throughout the course of the season. But we've got some news before we get to that. Thank you to Brandon Ay you for giving us a little bit of.
Speaker 2: A fax machine.
Speaker 1: None of it really makes sense. No, that's the internet. You oh dial up dialog, right, Brandon ayuk? Wait real quick, yes.
Speaker 2: That exact sound.
Speaker 3: I one time, this is a honestly, this happened. I called my parents' house and instead of them picking up that noise picked up and I was like, Dad, what are you doing at the house. He has all sorts of like fax machines and dial ups and things happening there.
Speaker 2: So if that ever happens, you might be calling the wolves.
Speaker 5: Wait what year was it?
Speaker 2: It was like last year.
Speaker 5: I know what that is.
Speaker 1: He plugged the fax machine into his regular phone. The fact that he even has a regular phone. But yeah, he unplugs the phone, puts the fax machine in there that he answers it. That's very it's very old school and uh okay, not as old school trade requests.
Speaker 5: But I like him.
Speaker 1: I like when it happens in the NBA. They have podcasts around him for months, like that's it floats their whole industry and then the trades actually happened. Doesn't always happen in the NFL, but Brandon Ayuk did request the trade. On Tuesday, NFL Network insider Mike Garafolo I believe he had this first.
Speaker 5: Report heah' scoobage.
Speaker 2: Are you on vacation?
Speaker 5: Well, he got this one at him.
Speaker 1: Nice job by Mike g who we hope to have on here as well throughout the course of the season. We do have an insider later in the WEEKI and Rapport joining us. Ayuk's request came after an offseason filled with unsuccessful attempts to reach an extension with the forty nine ers. Mike reported that they have been unwilling to negotiate since May. The forty nine Ers no negotiations here. I'll start with you, Steve, how realistic is this for Ayuk to actually get dealt.
Speaker 6: I don't think it'll happen. You know, the Niners have already come out and said they have no intention of doing that. But I remember covering the Falcons and Bobby Patrino had no intention of going to coach University of Arkansas and he took the job. So if somebody sweetens the pod enough, I mean I think they consider it. But here's why I don't think it happens is because that is brock Perty's guy. I mean, you look at their numbers since brock Purty has started. Brandon Ayuk is the guy. When you talk to people who cover the Niners. Ayuk is the route runner, Deebo's the chess piece, kettle is Kittle is the dual.
Speaker 5: Threat, as is Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 6: But Ayuk is the guy who guys have to really cover and set things up. So I don't think it happens. But but you know when I look at some of the teams too, who could possibly be interested. You know, he's gonna want to go to Washington and that's not gonna happen. They're not going to trade on.
Speaker 1: When was the last time we heard that about an NFL player? It is a new era there, that's want to go to Washington.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that is absolutely a new era. But I mean the quarterback there too, at Jaydon Daniels. Of course, they played together in Arizona State. But I mean see teams like the Steelers, you know, the Colts, the Raiders Denver. Look if they trade him, it might be to Siberia. And I'm watching the Receiver series. I'm saying, Davante Adam the Raiders, like, get me out of here.
Speaker 1: Let's actually listen to Ayuk. This was a sound we played on the first show that you were on Weisch when we talked with Schook, but I think it's germane to the conversation here. This was Ayuk on the Pivot podcast talking about where he could possibly go this offseason. What uniform he expects to wear.
Speaker 5: If I were to.
Speaker 1: Take a Yays.
Speaker 7: Probably probably a Niner uniform. Probably a Niner uniform, I mean, if not a Niners uniform, probably a Washington mannering uniform, with not a Washington commander uniform, probably a Steelers uniform.
Speaker 1: From your lips to God's ears, that's Ryan Clark. They're excited. It's pretty notable that he just threw those names in there. That was not by mistake.
Speaker 4: Well, and I think in that and you can hear it is the building frustration where there is this uncertainty from the standpoint of he knows that the forty nine Ers don't want to make him the deal that he would like, and so then it's well, these are the teams that might do that, but he's kind of resigned and the fact that his control over this is is pretty limited, and all you can do at this point is officially requested to which like shout out.
Speaker 5: To Mike, shout out to the guys.
Speaker 4: I always wonder like, does it come on Papyrus at its pott it's requesting a trade officially doing it, but it does take it up to the level of Okay, I don't want to be here anymore, right.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned maybe they trade him to Siberia. I mean, the Patriots actually be a liable option there. They have the money, There would be obviously the opportunities with the wide receivers that they have there. Now he could be the guy we don't know about Drake may or anything like that, but there would be balls going his way. And then also you just think about that the Niners, they this is their window right now, this is their Super Bowl window. Why would they trade him away because he would be a pivotal part of them winning that Super Bowl. So I don't know what Brandon Ayuk, what type of leverage he has in this situation, because holding out like that's not going to help him financially.
Speaker 5: No, it's a good fine.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and it just it doesn't really behoove him to do so because of where he is just in this whole situation, I think, like it's so expensive and they can tag him in year six too. So and the forty nine ers, like, I guess, yeah, if they get an incredible offer, like they're saying that they have no intention, which yeah, I mean that there that leaves some wiggle room in and of itself, but I just can't see them doing that because what is the point for them.
Speaker 1: The draft picks are the same in February as they are now, so why would you miss out on that year of Brandon Nyuk? There there is no reason, Like if the Steelers are serious about it, and there's been reporting around this year, is like they're going to add someone they watched. I know that red receiver depth chart doesn't look good, but they're definitely adding someone's Like where are these receivers coming from? And if you and if you really mean it, look at what tyreek Hill got in terms of a trade. Not only did he get to the top of the market, which if you're going to trade for Ayu, you got to put him close to it. He doesn't need to be Jefferson, but he needs to be somewhere right. He has to be close. But you also got to give up a first, yep, a second, maybe some more if you want to be that serious about it. Yeah, maybe you would get the forty nine ers to listen. But I even think it would have to be such an overpay because of what I said about them trying to win the Super Bowl this year, and and they can still get those draft picks for Brandon Ayuk or more likely Deebo Samuel in February. And again there is no draft between now and February. They are in this window of trying to win. It's kind of like the Bengals with t Higgins, like they know they can't keep all these guys together, but they have them this year. I did reach out about this and astround. I think a Holden is going to be his move, which we've seen, or that he's shows done. Maybe he doesn't do anything. I think they'd be fine with that, Like whatever gets him two week one. Not incredibly unhappy.
Speaker 2: There's Nick Bosa was considered a hold in.
Speaker 5: Last right right, Bosa has done this.
Speaker 6: The Niners have gotten several of these contracts done in training camp be A Bosa. They got Deebo I think the day before camp started. I think Kittle was right around there as well. So this is kind of how they operate. But I thought what was interesting was that Mike said there have been no negotiation since May May.
Speaker 5: I that's whoa.
Speaker 6: I mean, the Niners, you know, historically have not necessarily done business like that. They've been on the up and up.
Speaker 1: So maybe they don't like all these podcast appearances whatever, because that sounds like getting in your feelings. They should be getting this deal done and to have no conversations. There was a report, it was from Diana Orsini the Athletic that it was in the twenty six to twenty seven million dollar range. Who knows that they can fudge those numbers too, in terms of how it's presented, whether that's new money, whether that's tacked on, we don't know fully. Yeah, Josina Anderson reported, Yeah, the Patriots did make an offer or reached out a couple weeks ago, and that where they were just shut down. I just don't see it like it's the number one offense in the league. I think they know exactly where their window is and Deebo Samuel to me, is a lot more likely to get traded.
Speaker 3: I just love this time of year too, because you get all of these stories right before camp and literally five days ago there was a story that George Kittle was certain, very confident that the Niners would come to an extension with Brandon Ayu.
Speaker 5: Kyle Yuschak said it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kyle Euschek had to take a pay cut. Yes, he definitely won't ask Ayu to do that, but he is making fourteen million dollars this year, which is very underpaid for the level that he is at. The receiver market has exploded, something will be watching. But yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath for a trade, even though it's disappointing. I want to be more like the NBA. But yeah, Deebo held out like Gold held out, and they got their deals in the end. Let's take a quick break, actually, because I'm so excited I want to get to this segment and leave as much time as possible to enter the courtroom a recess, if you will.
Speaker 8: Everyone is talking about the honorable Colleen wool, the go to voice for everything football, Real cases, Real solution, No she's Judge Connie all wrong for the Honorable Judge Colleen Wolf aka Connie Fox aka the Tiny Box.
Speaker 9: This court with the Honorable Judge Colleen Wolf aka Connie Fox aka the Tiny Box, presiding, is now in session.
Speaker 5: Please be seated and come to order.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, good afternoon, everybody. My name is Justice Wolf. It is a pleasure to be here with all of you in my courtroom.
Speaker 2: If council could please introduce themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am Greg Rosenthal. Spent years at two Lane Law. Nice to meet you, Judge Patrick Claiban. I attended Troy University. I do not have a formal law degree, but I've elected to represent myself.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 6: I am Esquire Steve Whitch from the law firm of White and formerly Palmer, and I will be stating my cases today to prove my client worthy of your proper ruling.
Speaker 2: Okay, counsel, nice to see you all today.
Speaker 3: I expect everyone to respect my courtroom, respect each other, and of course, follow the letter of the law in these proceedings. All right, So with that, let's get started. Mister Rosenthal. Would you like to take the floor here.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will be making an argument that I believe is irrefutable today, and that is the argument that the Chiefs will not make the Super Bowl this year. Just look at history. The last time a team won back to back Super Bowls, Tom Brady one of the greatest ever. Year after that ten and six plus forty one point differential the worst that he would have for the entire rest of their career. Cowboys when they were out back to back champions next year after that ten and six point differential fell, the forty nine Ers came the closest way back in the day. They got to the NFC Championship Game. They lost it in the fourth quarter to a good Giants team. But that's the point it is so hard to repeat. It is a single elimination league. I don't care how good you are. Just to even reach the Super Bowl is an incredible achievement in any one given season, and it has made that much harder because of human nature. Human nature has not changed in the history of humanity, and human nature tells us week after week they are the targets. They are the ones that everyone is going after, and they aren't having quite as much fun as they used to because they've already climbed to the top of the mountain and they're feeling the pressure. And champion after champion after champion talk about it. You know who talked about it last year and didn't play their best for most of the last season and felt that weight, the Kansas City Chiefs. And it gets even bigger when it's year three. The AFC is deep as hell. When we talk about the best quarterbacks in the league, we talk about Lamar, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, C. J. Stroud. I could throw in, you know, the Steelers are frisky, the Jaguars. Who knows someone is gonna pick this team off? And it is because of history, is because of human nature. Has nothing to do with Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid. Their greatness is assured, but they are not going back to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Okay, uh well, I'm going to count that first off. To say that human nature hasn't changed is the history of the history of humanity is absolutely insane. Because the folks who believe in Adam and Eve believe they wore a fig leaf. Now they were Tom Ford, but I'm gonna I'm gonna dispute that because last year what they had Kancity Chiefs.
Speaker 1: Have to do.
Speaker 6: For the first time at Patrick Mahomes' playoff history, they went on the road, right, They went on the road and they handled business. What was the first time since Patrick Mahomes hasn't been there, this has been a defensive team.
Speaker 5: Okay, they walked it all the way through.
Speaker 6: They knocked off a team like the Baltimore Ravens, which was winning by an average of seventeen points of games that you want to throw analytics at numbers in there, and they held them to ten. Right, Yes, there are plenty of c J. Strouds on the come up. There's a lot of teams on the come up. But as we have learned from the wire and from the new series that Patrick and I were talking about, super.
Speaker 1: Cell objection, superceell Patrick, nobody knows what it is.
Speaker 6: When you come to thank you, thank you, your honor, when you comfort the king, you best not miss. And Patrick Mahomes makes a miss. And they've got more talent on offense than they had last year as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know we have time limits here, but if I got to just retort yes, just a little yes, Look, they had to win on the road. That that's helping improve my point, like so many things have to come together to get back to that point. Stefan Diggs had to drop a deep pass in a game that they very well could have lost in Buffalo. So many different things have to happen in a single elimination tournament. I think that's a good example of why it's going to get tougher and tougher and tougher, and at some point their luck runs out.
Speaker 4: I find it interesting that my esteem colleague to my right says that it's very difficult to repeat in terms of history, but then uses the past as evidence for that. I don't think the asked this proper evidence for the future. When the twenty twenty four Thieves will play in twenty twenty four doesn't have anything to do with what a Dallas team did in the nineties or what the Patriots didn't do in the two thousand. The fact that it's going to be difficult to win the Super Bowl doesn't change, But to say that the Chiefs won't do it, I don't see the improvement in the rest of the AFC that can't be applied to the Kansas.
Speaker 1: How many Super Bowls have there?
Speaker 5: J Jaction, your honor.
Speaker 6: He is trying to lead and persuade the jury without proper protocol.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I think the Chiefs are a good football team.
Speaker 1: Judge how many super rules we have. We've never had a three time champion. Never once happened. There's a reason for that, your honor.
Speaker 5: He buried the lead.
Speaker 2: He did, he did.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, thank you counsel for these arguments. I'm going to take a quick break to go over the evidence here and consider the arguments, and I will return with a decision. All right, I'm back. I'd like to thank everyone for their patients.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad we didn't talk about this ahead of time.
Speaker 3: These arguments have been meticulously laid out. Greg arguing about past precedent. History has made all the time in the league. Every week history is made, records are broken. That's why we love this game. But I do think that it is difficult for the Chiefs to get back to where they were these past two years because of the departures that they've had. Lugarious sneed. That's going to be a big one for Spags and the defense. The defense was the unit that ended up holding up this team and getting them to the Promised Land. The thin receiver situation that always seems to be an issue ever since Tyreek Hill left, but never really has been an issue at all. And now they've drafted, and who knows what happens with Racie Rice, that's all. That's an omnipresent thing that's going to be following them all season long. It doesn't I don't even take that into account anymore because they've proved everyone wrong over and over again. However, I do think that they have a lot of competition in the AFC, and because it's so difficult to do something like this three times in a row, everything has to go right. The stars absolutely have to align, with injuries, with schedule, with team chemistry, with all of it happening at once, and everything going right for them, it just seems more likely than not that they will not reach the.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl for a third straight year.
Speaker 3: That is how the court rules in favor of mister Rosen.
Speaker 1: Let's go, thanks waiting, mister Brady for funding this trial with dark money. Patrick, No, what's taken away your reck here?
Speaker 6: We have to file on appeal. The burden of proof now is more doubtful, more likely than I trust.
Speaker 4: I trust this court, and I say that because it has nothing to do with the fact that there's still cases to try.
Speaker 9: I trust, next case on the docket, Zach Wilson versus the people of Denver.
Speaker 2: All right, order order.
Speaker 3: Thank you everyone for coming back here today in this gorgeous court room. It's been outfitted in green colors and we love that. But that has nothing to do with what we were about to talk about, other than the fact that this player did come from a team that wore green.
Speaker 6: Yes, your honor, and I would like to start assassins. We're talking about colors that he left their feeling blue. But things are about to change, yelp. Things are about to be more sunny, and I'm going to argue the fact that Zach Wilson will emerge as the Denver Broncos starter and possibly under Sean Payton, have a geno Smith Baker Mayfield tight of resurgence. And I say this because one his competition is rookie Bownicks and veteran Jared Stidham. And people are saying, oh, okay, Jared Stidam has got the edge when it comes to a veteran thing because he knows the system. But Jared Stidham has not had to endure what Zack Wilson has had to endure. Right, He's getting a new fresh start. He's going out to the mountain air where he's from. He's from Utah, so he's from hearing colleer. He's going out to a fresh air. But here is why he is going to end up as the starter and have a resurgence under Sean Payton. And it doesn't have as much to do as Zach Wilson as it does with Sean Payton. First off, the first five games at Seattle, at Pittsburgh, at Tampa, at the Jets, the Nathaniel Hackett game, and the Raiders. Those are five very stout defenses. Do you want to throw Bonnicks into that situation? No, But here's the bigger deal. Sean Payton has to win. No, not that he's gonna lose his job, but soon we're gonna start talking about him the way we talked about Bill Belichick.
Speaker 5: Was it Brady or Belichick? Oh?
Speaker 6: Was it Breeze or was it Peyton? Because Sean Payton has not one without Drew Brees. And that is why he's going to give Zack Wilson the opportunity. Zack Wilson who had the best camp according to some observers there of all the quarterbacks. You're going to give him the opportunity to get through that gauntlet and stake his case to be the next Geno Smith and earn a contract elsewhere post twenty twenty four, Your honor, I am finished with that argument.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's be anouner here. That's a very very strong argument.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your honor, I'd like to good Luck approach the court and present some evidence for you. I'd like to provide you tape of Zach Wilson's first start in the NFL against the Panthers. I would like to present you tape of Zach Wilson's second start in the NFL against the Patriots. I would like you to continue and present every single start that he's had in the entire NFL, because at no point in that time has he ever looked like a winning quarterback. He hasn't been a winner quarterback. And I hear you that Sean Payton's ego might be so large that he would want to be the guy who fixes Zach Wilson.
Speaker 3: Mister Rosenthal, Yeah, let me step in here. I'm not sure the court has this much time to watch all of the tape that you are suggesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I kind of wanted to throw in the Gino Smith Jets tape too, because that was actually pretty good, and you know there was a sign there that he was going to be good. But if you don't have time for that, I just want to present the fact that he brought up fresh mountain air as like one of the top reasons why Zack Wilson could win this thing.
Speaker 6: Can I read direct your honor? I know, I'm sorry, mister Clay on your turn to argument.
Speaker 4: Your argument, well, my argument is very similar to mister Rosenthal's. I would also like to present Tim Boyle's opportunities to play for the twenty twenty three New York Jets and say it's a similar situation. I realized that people feel that the island and it's adjacent locales have this sort of etherll ability to make things pressure and more hard, as if football is somehow different there because people eat pizza, I guess with certain water. I don't no nor care. I just look at the actual material that's put out on the field, and I feel that Trevor Simeon and Tim Boyle might have had a case over Zach Wilson last year. I don't know that Trevor Simeon and Tim Boyle. Maybe Treff could come back to tomorrow high I'm just not sold, yes.
Speaker 5: Okay to redirect your honor? Okay, so are you.
Speaker 6: The council was argued that especially Patrick, that Tim Boyle and Trevor Simeon could have put better evidence on tape. Where's Jenny sit him in? And bo Nix's tape right? Where is their tape to argue against Zach Wilson was.
Speaker 1: Jean Payton to draft of twelfth overall.
Speaker 6: Again breaking protocol may object your honor, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 5: I don't know what's stated.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: At least it wasn't overruled, so thank you very much. I've seen it a TV shows all the time. I have no idea.
Speaker 6: I am not arguing that the Denver Broncos are going to be a playoff team. I am arguing that Zach Wilson and is going to show enough on said tape to put himself in position to get through these first five games, which is a gauntlet for the Broncos. Help Sean Payton be more creative to win ball games or at least be competitive in ball games, and for Zack Wilson come after the twenty twenty four season, to be in a situation where he is better and more desire than Jimmy Garoppolo Wow and players of such ilk Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we move on, just for the court, I do want to put it on the record that Jared Stidham is far more likely to have this little come up that Steve Wish is mentioning than any Zach Wilson. But it's going to be butter.
Speaker 2: Mix, Council. This has nothing to.
Speaker 1: Do with I mean, if it's Jared Stidham not Zach Wilson, look at the money. This is one of the most insane arguments I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: Well, the court really is just going to keep this simple and quick. We don't need much time to come up with a decision here. My mind has already been made up. I think that mister Whitch put together a fabulous argument, uh the schedule being such a gauntlet with those first five games, but more so that Sean Payton needs this for his legacy and at this point in time he's going to get the absolute best out of Zach Wilson.
Speaker 2: If it kills him. And I think, if anything, the.
Speaker 3: Fact that Steve Whitch is arguing that Zach Wilson can become the next Geno Smith to Greg Rosenthal right now, it's such beautiful poetry that I cannot rule against it.
Speaker 2: So I'm ruling in favor of Steve Whitch.
Speaker 1: This is an outrage, honor.
Speaker 5: Let's ride, Let's ride. Thank your honor. Two great decisions judge to day.
Speaker 2: Thank you Patrick Claymon. Are you next, sir?
Speaker 9: I believe so the bab the court will now hear the case of rookie QBS versus the bench representing the Playtiffitzpatrick Claybong and representing the defendant.
Speaker 5: Is the bench.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 4: And a shout out to the bench. I appreciate all the support over the years. I would like to say that there has been a lot of conversation about JJ McCarthy and what he should do, and a lot of that hearkens to the other quarterback on the roster in Sam Darnoald, who was the youngest quarterback to start in the NFL by a few months in a very long time. If JJ McCarthy starts, he'll be the youngest since Sam Darnald and people say that he shouldn't because it will ruin him, because it will make him bad, and then he'll be sad and he won't be good at football anymore. And they'll play to any number of quarterbacks, including one that we just discussed in Zach Wilson, and say well, if you come out and you have a bad performance, then you ultimately will lose confidence and you won't be good. I am making the case that if somebody is not good at football, it is not because they played football. I would like to say that to play football and play football well, playing for the ball is.
Speaker 5: A part of that.
Speaker 4: And you would have robbed so many great quarterback seasons. We would have sat there and known nothing about c J. Stroud and the Texans would have been an absolute complete mystery. We would have missed out on one of Greg's Super Bowls. We would have missed out on so many wow spectacular seasons because oh, we can't play the rookie because they're mentally weak. Stop projecting your own insecurity and inability to handle failure on to professional athletes. I think good football players are good at football.
Speaker 5: That is my case.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Okay, the court would like to hear the counter argument.
Speaker 1: I gotta admit, your honor, you're looking great today by the way, that i'd throw that out. I've been a council's appropriate lawyer for years. Just stating the facts. Was part of the mock law crew at Minichak Regional High School in nineteen ninety six ninety seven, President of Model Congress. That was a little different. I've never heard such a convincing argument here. I have a hard time being on the side of the Sam Darnald hive and just human nature and the projecting. He got me there again, I agree with him. So I'm with Patrick claibon.
Speaker 2: Are there any counter arguments here? Why are we in court?
Speaker 6: I will make a counter argument, even though that was a freaking great argument. If we're going to enter evidence on human nature again, Your Honor, I really hope next time you take counsel into chambers and tell him to expand his vocabulary. The human nature argument is a little played. It is, but again, well done, Thank you, counsel.
Speaker 5: I will say this in.
Speaker 6: Defense of Sam Darnold, possibly giving it nothing against J. J. McCarthy, but the one thing he's head coach Kevin O'Connell show during the Josh Dobbs era, during the Jaron Hall era of last season. Is he can get guys ready, right. This is a talented quarterback who he knows something about from his coaching colleague Kyle Shanahan last year. Very talented player coming in with a good offensive line, things that JJ McCarthy would have, the best wide receiver in the game, player that JJ McCarthy would have. But then there is experience. That is the only thing Sam Darnold is really wielding right here is the experience and a head coach who can get him ready. Other than that, I will rest.
Speaker 1: I believe that rookies should play when they're ready. We don't know if JJ McCarthy is ready, so he has to go out there and prove it. He was good in college, who solid that he hasn't seen the pass rush coming out him. If Drake may is ready to play, he should play. But there are circumstances where they're just not good enough soon enough, and maybe that will be the case.
Speaker 5: That human nature, that's human nature, it is.
Speaker 3: Would you how could you know when a rookie is ready to play if they've never played?
Speaker 2: How would a rookie know this information.
Speaker 1: Could because I've been in football my whole life. I'm a coach. I'm watching them each and every day, and then they play in the reseason with the live pass rush coming at him. You put them in as many circumstances and the joint practices as you can, and you make an evaluation.
Speaker 5: That's what you do.
Speaker 6: It also depends on your ownership. Okay, and ownership says play the guy playing right.
Speaker 4: And as much as I appreciate how Counsel has put forth that argument, if the coach is telling me right that somebody is not ready, then they need to be telling me that they're not good. If you're talking about mental your job is to coach football. Your job is x's and o's and gaps and responsibilities and all that you were.
Speaker 5: You are not a shrink. This is not your This is not your capacity.
Speaker 4: If they are good enough at football, if JJ McCarthy is in practice showing he has the ability that Sam Darnold doesn't, then he should absolutely play and we shouldn't try to protect him from failure. It's football. It's sports. Like you're gonna miss shots. But but how do you responds?
Speaker 5: We got a quick sidebar to that.
Speaker 6: Yes, And I think this goes into the whole essence of the quarterback whisper. There's a whole lot of quarterback mumblers out there too, or hiding behind that, because if it is their job to develop quarterbacks, and we've seen some who are supposed to have that who have not made it happen. Kevin O'Connell is some one of those guys. He's a quarterback whisper.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 2: Clearly, We've seen it with the Adam Gases of the world. We've seen it. It's a tale as old as time. Yes, So the court has made.
Speaker 3: A decision here. Again, this feels very clear cut. So I don't want to waste anyone's time, but especially my own. The court is ruling in favor of counsel Claybonno. Well done because the sheer argument of stop projecting your own insecurities onto athletes was so beautifully done, and it just it was a gorgeous way to put it, because that's what we see so much. And these coaches they cannot change the mental makeup of these players. They can try, they can, and they can do everything in their power to set them up for success, but they cannot change their actual abilities, and that is I think something that is very important to take into consideration here. So JJ McCarthy will be set up well as you outlined, mister whitch, but I am ruling in favor of mister Claybonn here. Thank you, and Greg, mister Rosenthal kind of helped out in that decision by deferring to you immediately and crumbling with no counter argument.
Speaker 1: So yeah, as you guys know, I've had a lot of legal troubles in my life despite my career as a lawyer, and I'm hiring Patrick makes sense.
Speaker 2: Strange development.
Speaker 6: Well, delete an argument versus the bench is absolutely a key. That was the hook I was done right there?
Speaker 2: Has anyone has a sidebar been in court anytime? Like recently?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I won a case I had charges dropped last year? What yeah?
Speaker 1: Really it was great.
Speaker 4: It was a red light camera. I stopped at the red light and they came in. They came and talked to everybody.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that one in Culver City near work?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: This is because I got this was this was over on vegetable word.
Speaker 4: Either way, But yeah, they came in, They're like, hey, everybody here for red light. Your cases were all dismissed. No way, and so every including the people that blew through the red light. I was the only person that actually didn't run it. So everybody got their cases dismissed. Wow, I love it.
Speaker 2: They're fighting the good fight.
Speaker 5: Well and if we count today, yeah, exactly. I was on a jury we awarded. We awarded somebody a whole lot of money, really a whole lot of money.
Speaker 3: I had jury duty over July fourth, and that was basically just me calling to see if I needed to come in and then saying no all week long, and then I completed my jury duty.
Speaker 5: That is the dream.
Speaker 1: I was supposed to be in jury duty right now, but really we're trying to lunch to show here and I put it off till November. We'll see if that's any better. But Steve, I know you need to leave this car room right now. We've totally broken broken the fourth one. This is now a running back to NML Insiders in a big time interview with a Hall of Famer that you can check out. It's gonna be Dwight Freenie and Steve. Thank you, Steve, Steve, You're the best.
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to be working with Steve right now.
Speaker 1: We are going to take a quick break and come back with a little more. A little news happened while we were really Colleen Wolf has just broken a tackle, spun out of the audi of a safety. She's in the open field. That's it. The raiders aren't going to catch her. We're back on NFL Daily. That was fun. I want to do that again.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's coming back.
Speaker 1: I have ideas, I've I had some arguments that were really going to blow people's mind. But we're going to wrap up the show with a little bit of news that happened while we were in the courtroom. Caleb Williams, the number one overall pick of the Chicago Bears, officially signed his rookie contract. This was like a thing because people notice that the rookies are reporting this week. It was just about to happen. He might have missed the day of the rookies reporting. I don't care about the rookies signing. It never matters. Roma Dunza also signed. There was a little bit more of drama to this because Caleb Williams does not have an agent. He had, you know, a lawyer working on it for him. But nothing is getting in the way of Caleb Williams being on that first episode of Hard Knocks carrying his bag in for the rookies reporting frankly, I'm excited.
Speaker 3: No agent to take a cut of this fully guaranteed deal. Pretty amazing for him, yes, and then also for the Bears. Now they'll have essentially three years with him on a rookie deal to evaluate if he I mean, if he ends up being what everyone thinks that he can be, they can build around him on that rookie deal and bring in pay other players.
Speaker 5: And I love that we've come.
Speaker 4: A long way in the conversation about players and their representation because I feel like a few years ago it was like, well.
Speaker 2: You know, Lamar doesn't have a Lmar was like the first big name do that, and it's like, Oh, what's.
Speaker 5: Going to happen, Like teams, how are they going to contact him on the phone?
Speaker 1: And oh my god.
Speaker 4: Two MVPs later, now Caleb Williams goes one overall, and it's it's kind of an afterthought, like I didn't even know because of Caleb had said, well, somebody else is you know, is handling he.
Speaker 1: Said, his lawyers and his attorney where technically the NFLPA says he does not have an agent, he's representing himself. But obviously as someone helping you with the PaperWorks, he got to give a little fee there. Connie, Sure you.
Speaker 4: Don't have to give up no, nine percent, ye three to five percent in perpetuity in a game that you don't get to play forever.
Speaker 1: You know so, and it's locked in anyways, who knows if he'll get one for next time. But that's a great point you make, Colleen about the three years. It's one of the reasons why teams want to have first round quarterbacks because it's not just a four year contract. It's really a five year contract with that fifth year option if you're a first round pick. And so you can give Caleb Williams life changing money, not that this isn't life changing money, but even more life changing money next time around after just three years, and save a little bit on the back end, like like they do when you do a contract like two years early. And so that'll be the plan. I have no doubts about this kid.
Speaker 3: I'm always like, I'm always waiting at the end of the first round to see what teams are going to trade in to take a quarterback just to be in that situation.
Speaker 4: Those extra a little bit of control. Yeah, and it also gives you leeways as the decision maker, where a lot of these gms and people in the front office their job is to keep their job.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Those teams that are like positioned even at like the top of the second, like, that's just it's so good for them.
Speaker 2: They're in such a great position every year at the draft.
Speaker 1: So I am really looking forward on a show later this week. I'm gonna draft quarterbacks just for this season, only with the Daniel Jeremiah. So I'm curious if I'm the one who ends up with Kayleb Williams or if he's the one that ends up with Kayleb Williams, because I gotta say he's fairly high on my board after seeing what Stroud and Herbert and some of these rookies do. It's like rookies can be great quarterbacks too. And there is just nothing I have seen out of this kid that would lead me to believe he is not gonna come out of the gates swinging and be like an at least an above average starter. It's just about twenty twenty four. We're gonna draft out for one just this season, but even just this season, wouldn't you take them over let's get frisky, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 5: I would.
Speaker 1: I mean, now that I know the tuatung of I loo like a team independent.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't take him over to it, now that I know that Zach Wilson is going to revolutionize things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Jared Goff, I'm I'm just saying it's a fun exercise. I like, I still would take them because I know it's a rookie, so it's a huge risk and I wouldn't put made quite that high that he's kill.
Speaker 5: Williams is different, all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, our after dinner Mint today, Colleen, we've just kind of been wrapping up the show with something that just gives it leaves a nice taste in the met and uh. We had mentioned to the listeners we have an email address out there. It's a NFL Daily podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Everyone lock it in your phones right now.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, I just want to say too real quick that I got so many messages, tweets, direct messages on Instagram, on x all over the place from listeners from atn and it was really overwhelming because all of the messages were so nice, and I got to a point where I was like in such an emotional place that I couldn't even read them all.
Speaker 2: But I just want to.
Speaker 3: Say that how much I appreciate all every single person who sent me a message and said something so nice and thoughtful.
Speaker 2: And if I didn't read it yet, I will eventually read it.
Speaker 3: But it's just like it's hard for me to do it because it's sad, and I don't like sad things. But I don't want you to think that I'm ignoring you or don't have time or the care to respond.
Speaker 2: To you, because it's the exact opposite.
Speaker 1: I have big.
Speaker 3: Feelings, like my dog has big feelings, and whenever I come home, Dasher has to grab a toy to put in his mouth to parade around because like he has such big feelings, and I am basically Dasher. So I just want to say how much I appreciate the listeners because they've always been the absolute nicest and sweetest and most respectful out of any show I've ever done.
Speaker 1: So thank you man, double everything, colling Man. It is good to have Colleen Beck. I'm back studio. We've been through a lot. It's been a it's been an off season, and it's it's been a lot. But everything Colleen said I echo too, and I get it, like from the listener's perspective that it's a lot, it's a lot. It's it's a lot for us to believe me. And everything you said is I lived. I live that too, and I now is not the time for me to see everything. Although I see the nice stuff, and we have seen a lot of really nice emails. Let's let's throw up actually the tweet first, Randy if you can. This was from Tom Tom Marshall, I recognize longtime listen. He said, with you around the NFL podcast to tattooed on my ear drums. I've tried hard not to like the NFL Daily Podcast, but my ears don't lie. I really like it. Good luck, Greg, and you know, got got a lot of messages kind of like that where it's it's mixed feelings. Let's go to another email. This one is from Sid This is more just like factual question. Do you have any plans for Fantasy football related content on the new pod? Nothing crazy like a whole episode. I do think a segment here or there, wouldn't be a bad idea. Wishing you all well, excited to see where it goes from here. I mean, why not in a whole episode that Yeah, why dismiss it. But I'm glad you mentioned that we are going to do some fantasy, throw some segments in maybe a little more regularly. Next week We're definitely going to have a fantasy segment. Heck, maybe the whole show.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't know, the sky is the limit. We can do whatever we want.
Speaker 5: Ceilings the roof.
Speaker 1: All right, last email, we'll go from rain Air and he says he's a longtime atn and JRVP listener. Wow, shout out to the Justin Lickinrosendal Vanity Project a lifer.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 1: We'll be back to by the way in October. That Anthony right now is in Asia. Never emailed before to any podcast. Wanted to reach out and say love in the new show. And we'll be a daily listener and downloader on Spotify. And loves the release schedule. We've heard a lot about that, trying to keep it consistent, keep it daily. Also interested in an informative show that'll give me the news, make me a little smarter, love the music as well. Although I wish with you, Colleen, I think we can do two weeks. We can do.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have a lot enough.
Speaker 4: Rayner occasionally like creeps through a crowded like warehouse of bad guys with a crossbow, because that's what one of the one of the tracks sounds like.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong, You're not wrong.
Speaker 1: And why I needed you here, Colleen. I need you here, and now you're here.
Speaker 2: I We're going to have to fix some of this music. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: And if any of the listeners have anything that they would like to submit, I will just throw that out there, because you know, I think that there's some.
Speaker 2: Really creative people that listen to the show. We've heard it in the past, some of those examples.
Speaker 3: So also for those of you who are saying that you know you've been so used to atn and you like are our first listener who was it wasn't Tom who said that he didn't want to like NFL daily wanted to hate it. Uh, he wanted to hate it. I just want to let you know the like look flowers, they don't compete with each other. They all bloom and shine together. So different isn't necessarily a bad thing, and there can be many things that you like at once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're if your timeline to enjoy things is very limited and you only have an hour a day, I guess that's the case, but I don't know how many people.
Speaker 5: That applies to, right.
Speaker 1: I am now at the point where I don't do anything without listening to a podcast while i'm doing, like in one so I got room for a lot of podcasts. I'm putting them at one point five speed for the most part. I gotta admit now, And uh yeah, I got to catch myself sometimes because I'll be you know, like flossing walkers, messed up bracest teeth and I you know, I got zack low in my ear or whatever. I'm not really paying attention to the to the beautiful child in front of me. So sometimes it's too much necessarily too much podcast.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's too much much information to share.
Speaker 1: Well ever, too much it.
Speaker 4: Felt, it felt, you know, for those of us who came from the Brace's community, it's a struggle.
Speaker 1: It was weird. It was weird because you know, by the age of nine, like your kid's on your own, you're not brushing your kid's teeth. You haven't for years, but then the braces are back and they need a little bit of help. I needed a little bit of help getting through this show. So Connie, you did it. Patrick, you did it. I'm really excited about that Quarterback show that we are going to be putting up on Thursday. So that is tomorrow, and so you can look forward to that, the Quarterback Ranking Show with me and Daniel Jeremiah. Patrick's actually sneaking into that one.
Speaker 5: I can't be stopped just for a little because I might not get back.
Speaker 1: Wait. I can't believe I'm still here until Thursday. See you next time.
Speaker 2: A