Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Wall Street Week. I'm David Weston, bringing you stories of capitalism. Early childhood education is as important as it is challenging for millions of Americans. It turns out that it's also an investment opportunity. We look at the large and growing role of private equity in raising our children, plus what that one big beautiful bill means for childcare and healthcare. Our special contributor Larry Summers takes us through where he thinks we may be going wrong. And the World Cup is coming to North America with all the excitement, all the potential, and all the costs surrounding it. We bring you to the host city of Toronto to hear why it thinks it's making a sound investment. But we start with the question puzzling so many investors these days. Why are the US equity markets poised for growth while economists are predicting a slowdown. Rick Reader is Blackrug's Chief investment Officer of Global Fixed Income and head of the Global Allocation Investment Team.
Speaker 3: The service economy is what drives this economy today. It's not a goods oriented economy. It's not a commodity.
Speaker 4: It's not an.
Speaker 3: Export oriented, not a heavy manufacturing, service oriented, so most of what drives the economy is resilient to what is a goods slowdown in goods. Second thing that I wouldn't have anticipated. I would have thought, you've got more pricing transmission in but it's pretty incredible how companies moved. In fact, now some of it in the near term, companies took it into margin.
Speaker 2: So give us a sense rick of where this economy is headed, because if you look at the stock market, it looks really good, it's really going places. At the same time, if you look at the markets, they say, well, we're going to have a rip cutter two who this year. Normally you wouldn't cut rates into robustly growing market.
Speaker 3: So it's pretty extraordinary. I mean, it almost never happens in time. So the a couple things happen. First thing, I think all financial assets there is an extraordinary amount of cash and money that has to flow somewhere. And the technicals and equities are great because companies are buying back their stock. So I think the equity markets are reflecting really good technicals. Earnings have been pretty good. But I think there's something different at play in terms of inflation. What's going to happen with productivity and innovation, Inflation is going to come down. And the reason to bring interest rates down, which I'm a believer in, is the housing market is under pressure. So the real impact of interest rates on the economy today, I don't think it is in the historic sectors of who spends on coppacks, anything about AI spend, how the banks manage the risk. It's about housing and today if you look at the housing market and particularly what impacts lower income. The people that borrow today are lower income and they're adversely impacted infected by where these rates are. If we get the rate down, you actually can bring how home prices down, you build more houses, you'll actually reduce inflation. So I think it's quite consistent to bring the interest rate down even though the economy is operating at a pretty good level. Where we're going is to a lower level of inflation, and I think we can bring it down. I mean, think about inflation break evens today depending on which part of the curve are two and a half to two and three quarters. So the funes rate, even if you bring it down to three and a quarter you're still above the rate of inflation, so I think we got plenty of room to drop it. Even though the economy is operating well.
Speaker 2: Does the yield curve on the treasury indicate we do have a bigger problem in the place we think. Look at the thirty year for example, we're significally over five down hanging in up there. So the short end nice under control, long end not so much.
Speaker 3: So I think the long end of the yield curve becomes untethered. First of all, the Fed generally can control the front end, and the front end stays tethered to the Fed funds rate. Long end of the yield curve has a couple of things that I think are not to its benefit. One, we've got to issue a lot of debt going forward. I mean, think about the size of the bill side, the deficits. We're going to issue a lot of debt. The long end is a hard place to invest. It used to be that the long end protected you against the equity market. If inflation ends up being higher, which I don't necessarily anticipate, then what will happen is equities and long end will get hit. So the long end of the yield curve today, given that you can get so much yield if you're an investor in the front end, the long end doesn't become that attractive.
Speaker 2: You say, one of the problems with the long end of the yield curve actually how much debt the United States government has to take on, and the so called one big Beautiful Bill doesn't seem to be helping that situation much. How big a problem is that, and how much of the problem right now we're saying is we term premiu. People are starting to doubt a little bit whether we're going to repay it.
Speaker 3: So there's only one way to deliver the economy. You've got to outrun the debt. You've got to outgrow it. So there is a plausible outcome where you get nominal GDP running at four and a half to five. If we get that interest rate down to three, gosh, now you could start to deliver, but it takes a really long period of time. Listen, I think the one engine today's we are going to have a bigger debt burden. And not only do it, are we going to have a bigger debt burden, you have to fund it domestically because international doesn't buy as much as long as we grow, then you could work through it. You know what I worry about is you get shocks to the system.
Speaker 2: Well, how big is AI? I mean you mentioned that's capex, a lot of capacks going for right now, a possible engine for growth, I guess in productivity principally right, how big could that be?
Speaker 3: I think if you take it with AI, you take robotics, you take automation, you take software, you take cloud, you take energy, you take cooling. I think people underestimate how dramatic this is going to be. And I think our world a year or two hence is going to see things that nobody's ever seen before in terms of innovation, productivity. And you think about what happens the things that you know, everybody talks about autonomous cars, but you talk about all the services, all the things that can be created at a lower price point. I think it's remarkable. I think it's remarkable. You know, part of why we talk about you know, who do you own in the equity market, these big cap company that utilize data effectively. It doesn't have to be necessarily the bag seven, although they're pretty good companies generally. Gosh, you think about the companies to utilize data to expand their mode and how they utilize how you know, the price points they got operated at, how they advertise, how they run their business efficiently using software, et cetera. Part of what I think this is the most exciting investment period I've ever been around. We're going to see more dramatic change than Internet, than really mobile telephony. It's a pretty amazing time.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Internet, which is the last time I reased when there was really a substantial increase in productivity the late nineties into the early ought we saw is AI bigger than that, So.
Speaker 3: You know, there's interesting thing around. I've spent a lot of time thinking through this. Internet took some time to develop and the adoption rate and by the way, if you go back in time, electricity, telephone, rail, it all took a period of time. This is almost instantaneous. How fast and by the way, you know, I think one of the incredible technologies the last couple of decades was GPS technology. Part of while literally get up every morning and in the weekends and you try and think about which companies are going to benefit from these all these new companies that are that are coming about. I said I think it's going to happen faster and be more profound. You know, it's hard to say the Internet was pretty incredible. It's hard to say it'll be bigger. But it's certainly gonna happen faster.
Speaker 2: But the market must be pricing in some of that already. We're seeing a lot of the AI. Why are you confident it's not pricing all of it in?
Speaker 3: You know, if you go back to the Internet public, you go back to ninety eight, ninety nine, two thousand, you were putting multiples on no cash flow. Most of these companies that I so first certainly when you look at the bags seven and you look at the multiples on those companies, actually they're not that scary. I mean, if you when you assume their growth rate, these companies throwing off thirty to thirty five forty percent return on equity or higher for a couple of them, and you're throwing off cash, which by the way, allows them to buy back their stock. You think about those companies in the ninety eight ninety nine he was sort of hoping that they would take off, and most of them didn't. These companies are well and trench and thought, now you go into other areas and you think about, gosh, you know, there are some parts of it, they're a bit of a flyer, and there are some multiples on some things, and so that you have to evaluate what is the business prospect, what's the available market. But I would say that you know, the big hyper scalers, the big semiconductor companies, the big software companies, and I would argue, you know, even the companies that utilize data efficiently, even the huge retailers, media delivery companies like Boy, they're pretty pretty spectacular as to their rate of growth and making money along the way. And that's that's different.
Speaker 2: Given that view on the economy and the markets where they are, where they're headed. What's the best way to invest? Give us your perspective from Blackrock. Yeah, what are you seeing that's particularly attractive right now?
Speaker 3: So, you know, I still believe in growth and technology and equities and and I think, you know, running more of a barbell, that is, you know, I don't like a lot of the small cap equities that you know, there's some and some areas that are okay. I like these big caps, particularly in and around tech by the way, healthcare technology, by the way, leisure and hospitality. I think the world part of this is the derivative ais people have more time. Leisure, travel, entertainment, I think is a big part. So that's what I like. On the equity side, well, I think rates should come down. I'm kind of hoping they don't because this environment, we can build six six and a half seven percent yielding assets or portfolios that don't really have to stretch and that can stay in an investment gray generally on average bad. I mean, if you could buy growth and income and then, by the way, maybe a little bit of hard asset, whether that's gold or some crypto, you know, not scale to the size of your debt and equity, but I think that creates balance in a portfolio.
Speaker 2: You mentioned crypto, which has become quite the topic in Washington these days, and to be stable coin, because all of a sudden everybody wants a stable coin. It seems like is that really fundamentally going to change the financial system.
Speaker 3: So crypto war stable coiner both, I mean, they're you know, relate it's stable coin. I actually think will be quite helpful in that it will utilize it a there's a benefit to the currency and the dollar utilization. Ultimately, b it will soak up some of it. Do we have a lot of treasures, We've got an issue. It will soak up some of that. Not a tremendous but it will soak up some of that. So I think that'll be real utility. How we moved in the tokenized assets, in tokenized investments, how we think about payments mechanism. I think stable coin will be a very big deal crypto. I think general crypto, I actually think. I mean, I own some of the portfolios. You talk about volatility. I own it in moderate size. But it's one of those things. The adoption rate around the world is so extraordinary coming up.
Speaker 2: We trust an awful lot to the markets, but does that include caring for our children. We look into the growing role of private equity in early childhood education. That's next on Wall Street Week. This is a story about having the markets raise our children. Since the days of Adam Smith, we've trusted the invisible hand to do all sorts of things for us, from telling us when our government is borrowing too much.
Speaker 4: The ninety three deaths production purgem it was very heavily focused on depth production, and I think rightly argument it turned out to be correct that markets would react very favorably if we were serious to guiding us in our career path.
Speaker 5: The number of jobs that we've created in life sciences over the last couple of years ago thousands of new life sciences jobs in Jersey. But we're making major investments because we know it's a crowded field.
Speaker 4: And another flat.
Speaker 2: As parents, our children are priceless, which means that any value attached to them or their well being cannot be enough. But there is a business built around early childcare, with consumers and suppliers setting prices based on revenue and costs, and even investors putting up capital on which they expect a return.
Speaker 6: I was kind of like, at my wits end at the end of twenty twenty four, I had taken a break from real estate because I was like, I don't know how to do this without full time childcare, okay, And I just remember opening up my journal and the first thing I wrote down was like fine childcare, and I was like, I don't know how to do this. The eggs are done now.
Speaker 2: Ashley Perdy's kids are one of roughly eleven million children under the age of fifteen who spend time in paid childcare in the United.
Speaker 6: States in the car, being home with three kids was amazing for time, but then it was like I would be home, just like daydreaming and like fantasizing about going back.
Speaker 7: To work here.
Speaker 2: Childcare is uniquely expensive in the US, comprising a higher proportion of average income than it does anywhere else in the world. According to Childcare Aware of America, the national average cost for children under school age for one year was eleven five hundred and eighty two dollars in twenty twenty three. But that cost is only the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 1: This isn't a gym, right, This is a sector where educators are literally building the brains of young children and providing the care that families rely on to be able to flourish.
Speaker 2: Elliott Haspell is a senior fellow at Kapita and author of the forthcoming book Raising a Nation Right Now.
Speaker 1: We see middle income and upper middle income and affluent parents using licensed formal childcare. Largely that's because they can, they can afford it, or at least try to afford it, and also because those tend to have the highest proportion of families that have two earners in the workforce.
Speaker 2: What can be a major challenge for young parents turns out to be a potential opportunity for equity investors.
Speaker 1: They take up right now somewhere between ten to twelve percent of the childcare sector, and they're growing at a time when many childcare programs are struggling to stay open. The profit chains are growing because they're able to do debt financing right. They're able to access capital markets in a way that the individual programs, nonprofit programs, church based programs just can't.
Speaker 2: The strong demand for early childcare is one way for private equity investors to make money, but there is another potential revenue source, the real estate the centers occupy.
Speaker 1: Classic sort of part of the private equity playbook that we know from other sectors is what are no sale leasebacks?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: This idea that you take a site that owns its own facility or owns the land and basically force it to sell off to to another landlord. The profits from those sale go up to the private equity firm as opposed to back into the site. The site now has to lease back the facility or the land that they previously own, so they now have a new line of debt We have definitely seen this strategy play out in childcare, and in fact, the childcare real estate is one of the most valuable pieces of assets that many of these chains have.
Speaker 2: Adam Newman is founder and managing partner of Titan Partners, specializing in early childhood education, and he knows the long history.
Speaker 7: Some of the first and earliest investors in early childhood education started back in the eighties. The two largest players today, KinderCare Learning and Bright Horizons Family Solutions, received investment from private equity firms late seventies mid eighties and really served as bellweathers for what has become over the last couple decades a much more active and vibrant private equity investment community focused on early childhood education.
Speaker 2: What about the nature of the marketplace in early childhood education makes it attractive for private equity? I mean, what's the opportunity?
Speaker 7: It is a capital intensive market that requires a degree of professionalism and investment that oftentimes exceeds what individual owner operators can do themselves. There's also a fair degree of complexity, particularly as you move across states. What they are doing is taking a fragmented ecosystem and striving to drive efficiency and scale in ways that more independent owner operators are oftentimes unable to do themselves.
Speaker 2: But that's not to say that private equity plays as large role in all parts of the early childcare business. At least thus far, investors have been careful to pick their spots.
Speaker 7: The part that the private equity world tends to play in are those two middle segments, the national chains and the independent centers.
Speaker 2: Newman estimates that the two segments targeted by private equity, national chains and independent centers account for about thirty nine percent of the children in care today, and he expects that portion of the business to grow to about forty five percent of the total market over the next five years. But all that private equity participation is not without its detracts.
Speaker 1: There's a for profit chain called Guidepost Monatssory, and it was it's a venture capital backed chain, and what happened is they ended up growing so fast, they got way over leveraged, they stopped being able to pay their rent, and they actually ended up having to close over forty to fifty of their sites in a matter of months, and then the parent company just a few weeks ago actually filed for bankruptcy. Other countries have seen childcare chain collapses. The largest for profit chain in the Netherlands in the twenty tens, which was private equity owned, collapse the government had to step in. In Australia in two thousand and eight, the largest for profit childcare company in the world, called ABC Learning, collapsed because it was again over leveraged.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, those who deal regularly with private equity investments in early childhood care say that in some ways it's the safest form of investment, as investors will make sure things go right for their own self interest.
Speaker 7: If you think about it, the headline risk for a bad investment in early childhood business is pretty significant. If you think about the LPs that sit behind a lot of these private equity firms, the last thing they want to read about or see is an investment made by one of their private equity firms that has had a pretty nasty headline because of quality or other concerns. So in many ways, a private equity owner theoretically should be bringing a greater degree of rigor and attention to some of those issues. Now, the reality is, as some of these chains get increasingly large, you're still dealing with hundreds of sites and there is a degree to which you lose control over what might happen at the edges of that network, but that can happen in any environment.
Speaker 2: Two investors rolling up childcare centers requires careful calculation to stay profitable, But to parents, the math isn't as important as the care.
Speaker 9: Kids are not widgets, kids are not products, and you really don't see the outcome for years to come.
Speaker 2: Becca Balance is now a Democratic congresswoman representing her home state of Vermont. She earlier served for eight years in the Vermont Senate, including as Majority Leader and as President pro Tempore, where she worked to get legislation passed addressing the lack of adequate childcare in her state.
Speaker 9: It's been a challenging landscape for many years now. We have a confluence of forces that has made it very challenging for us here in this very rural state. So we have a demographic crisis. We have a lot of elderly folks here in Vermont, not as many young families. You have had a situation from out where there hasn't been enough childcare slots in childcare centers for the number of people that want to go back into the workforce.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty three, Vermont passed a childcare bill that provides one hundred and twenty five million dollars of public funding, giving more than seven thousand families access to childcare assistance.
Speaker 9: Over the early years of this, you know, ten year push, we set benchmarks for ourselves, and some of them were very ambitious trying to get to a solution. By twenty twenty five, you had champions within the legislature, you had a governor who also understood that it was holding us back, and you had a democratic legislature a Republican governor.
Speaker 10: It was clearly a bipartisan issue.
Speaker 9: And then we worked really hard to bring in business partners from across the state in all different industries for them to make the case that this was not just good for the individual kids and their families, it was good for businesses, it was good for the economy.
Speaker 10: And it's not easy to raise a payroll tax.
Speaker 9: You know, you can imagine all of the forces at work there that didn't necessarily want to go down that road. But we had so many large scale meetings with so many stakeholders from across the states saying, well, what are all the different possibilities that we could look at and in the end, that was the one that we felt like in Vermont was the case that we could make because we had.
Speaker 10: So many businesses already on board.
Speaker 9: That might not be the case in another state or municipality.
Speaker 2: A Vermont nonprofit organization estimates that the law will serve as a three hundred and seventy five million dollars boost to the economy when parents are able to enter or re enter the workforce. Vermont's efforts may be a step in the right direction, but nationally, early childhood education is still a pressing problem for many American parents. Whatever the risks and opportunities in private equity's growing role in early childcare for both investors and for children and their parents, everyone agrees that it's not the ultimate answer for the lack of affordable care, and it doesn't address large segments of the population where the needs don't match investors' goals.
Speaker 7: The portion of the population right now that is probably underserved are not the affluent, but it is probably the bottom two quartiles who are desperately looking for options that are reasonably high quality, but where there's just a fixed number of seats available at the local public pre K program or the local head start program. So I think private equity, you know, increases capacity a bit, but doesn't I don't think fundamentally change solving for the demand that exists out there.
Speaker 9: That kind of investment is really looking at short term gains and looking at solutions that are very much oriented towards the.
Speaker 10: Economy of the thing.
Speaker 9: And I think when you're dealing with children, those be the drivers. You have kids who are coming from all different backgrounds right now, and it's critically important that the childcare facility, that early education site is meeting the needs of those kids and their experiences as they come through the door. And the experiences of families here in Brattleborough are not going to be the same as families up in Little Fairfax, Vermont, or in Burlington, Vermont. And so that is my hesitation with believing that the solution is.
Speaker 10: Private equity investing in these chains.
Speaker 9: And I also think it's not a great solution for rural America because families want to know the people and the entities that are watching their children. It's the most precious thing that you.
Speaker 2: Have coming up. Speaking of children, what does that one big, beautiful bill mean for the children of America? And the sick. Our special contributor Larry Summers, that's why he doesn't like what he sees. This is a story about borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. President Trump's One Big Beautiful Bill found a way to pay a lot of Paul's through reduced taxes, but taking funds away from Peters who have been dependent on things like Medicaid. Our special contributor Larry Summers of Harvard has been outspoken about what he says it will cost us over the long run.
Speaker 8: David, this is the biggest cutback in the US social safety net in history. Measured relative to GDP. It's substantially larger than anything that happened in Ronald Reagan's revolutionary nineteen eighty one tax cut legislation. It's substantially larger relative to the economy than the welfare reform that took place during Bill Clinton's time. So this is a big deal. It's going to mean that some number it's hard to evaluate exactly, might be ten million, might be twelve million. People are going to lose their Medicaid benefits. It's going to mean that ancillary services that are hugely important for people getting a ride to the hospital, so they can get their dialysis, being able to go to a rehab facility when they can't take care of themselves, but they no longer need to be in a hospital. That kind of thing is going to be cut back. It's going to mean no economic lifeline for desperately important rural hospitals, some of which are going to close. But here's a crucial point that I don't think has gotten enough attention in the debate. People focus on the moral aspect, and that's important what's going to happen to some of the most vulnerable among us, But this has consequences for everybody. When people come to the hospital later and secker with more that needs to be done and there's no government support for their care, the bills of all the rest of us are going to go up. When hospitals are filled with people who don't need to be in a hospital, but are there only because there's no other place for them to go, there's less access to care for others when they have an emergency. When rural hospitals close, that means less access, not just for the poorest people. When these costs mountain ultimately have to be born, that's ultimately going to translate into higher taxes and greater premiums when the people have eventually get second enough that they qualify for the supported medical care.
Speaker 10: So this is both.
Speaker 8: Immral and wrong, and it is imprudent and is going to burden the American middle class.
Speaker 2: It's part of a larger pattern I think many people have detected in the bill overall, which is a shift in wealth from some of the poorest among us to some of the wealthiest among us. We can talk about whether that's a moral thing to do or an immoral thing to do, but what does it mean in macroeconomic terms, in terms of growth over the long term.
Speaker 8: David, My values point me towards wanting us to be a more equal society. I don't think that those making a state wills to their children of thirty million dollar should be the beneficiary of new large esh at a time when we've got a massive budget deficit. But I'm going to be honest with you. I don't think honest economists should make all arguments in favor of the policies they prefer. And the reason to oppose this bill is that it's unfair, that it's inefficient, that the deficits are going to do a great deal of damage. But I'm not going to tell you that because of the inequality, we're going to get major reductions in economic growth. Yes, we're gonna get major reductions in economic growth because we're on a trajectory to cutting back R and D in very dangerous ways. Yes, we're going to get reductions in economic growth because we're going to cut back support or other kinds of public investment in education and in infrastructure. But the main reason to be against inequality is because it's wrong, and because some of the investments you make to reduce inequality have very high payoffs.
Speaker 10: But while it.
Speaker 8: Would support the policies I generally favor, I am not, as an economist going to say that we have convincing evidence that as a systematic matter, reducing inequality raises economic growth.
Speaker 2: Even as Trump's big bill will shrink the country's social safety net, overall, one increase in federal spending will go towards supporting families, including through a single payment of one thousand dollars for a savings account for newborns. But Summer says he's worried it isn't enough.
Speaker 8: My suspicion is that it is so sub scale that most of the costs will go into administering the thing relative to benefits that will change people's lives. So I don't think we know yet. And maybe this will be an acorn that plants a very valuable trade that will grow over time. But I haven't yet seen the blueprint that convinces me of feasibility. At the current scale.
Speaker 1: We put in some of the lowest percentage of our GDP into early care and education in the United States of any developed country, and it's because we haven't yet made that leap from the idea that actually the care and learning of young children is very much a public concern.
Speaker 2: Elliott Haspell at the think tank Campita says market forces alone aren't enough to solve the childcare crisis in the United States, and the government needs to be doing more.
Speaker 1: Child care is not a market good. This fair former Terachery Secretary Janet and Is called it a textbook example of the failed market doesn't work, so you're going to need some sort of government intervention. We can also look across the world and see other countries inclaning just above us in Canada that have made major reforms in the past few decades, all of which are underpinned by significant permanent increases in public support of a public private system to make sure that families have access to good childcare options, that educators are paid well, programs are high quality, and again there are guardrails in place to make sure that public money is serving the public good.
Speaker 2: Haspell's view that government should play a bigger role in helping new parents is shared by Congresswoman Becca Ballant, who was a former teacher herself.
Speaker 9: The struggles that working families have right now, they are not the same struggles as people had twenty years ago. You know, you've got young people carrying.
Speaker 10: A lot more debt.
Speaker 9: They have costs that did not keep paid with inflation. They exceeded them, whether they were housing costs or healthcare costs. So I always say to people, I'm in my fifties, I always say to voters who are grousing about younger families, I say, what they're doing actually is something very different.
Speaker 10: Than I did.
Speaker 9: And what folks in you know, my parents' generation did that the economic strain on them is more acute. And so there is this understanding that we need to gain that you've got families who are absolutely stretched, and it is within our best interest as legislators, as people looking for solutions to see this as part of the ecosystem of the economy and not an add on. This is how you make economies thrive, and certainly other countries have figured this out before we did.
Speaker 2: Even as state and federal lawmakers take steps to invest more in American families and childcare, Summers says, we shouldn't be looking to Trump's big bill to save our kids. The costs might well outweigh the benefits, especially for future generations.
Speaker 8: I think the borrowing that we're engaging in and the risks that that posures to the economy may well do more harm to my children and my one year old granddaughter than the putative new programs that are contained.
Speaker 2: Up Next, the World Cup is coming to North America in a year's time. Cities across the US, Mexico, and Canada are stepping up big time to make it possible. But is the investment likely to pay off? That's next on Wall Street Week. If this is a story about the beautiful game. From Maradona to Messi, Pelly to Pushkash, the biggest stars in the world have left their mark on the FIFA World Cup, and whether you call it football or soccer. The world will be watching as new stars are born when the US, Canada and Mexico play host the next year. While many of us will be focused on who wins on the pitch, the sixteen host cities face a challenge to make sure they win off of it. The FIFA World Cup is one of the biggest spectacles in sport. Forty eight teams, one hundred and four matches, one winner or maybe two. Sure one team will lift the iconic trophy, but with an estimated eleven billion dollars in revenue coming in, FIFA might be the real winner before a single ball is kicked.
Speaker 11: It's the biggest event ever. It's more than four billion viewers all around the world, and we will make it the biggest not only sports event, but the biggest social event that we can think of.
Speaker 12: Johnny, We're going to have to extend my second term because twenty twenty six, I'm going to have to extend it for a couple of years. I don't think any of you would have a problem with that, but I hope you're going to remember me in twenty four for sure.
Speaker 2: Since the World Cup was awarded to the US Canada, and Mexico. During President Trump's first term, sixteen host cities have been ramping up infrastructure spending to prepare for the tournament.
Speaker 13: I think as a host city, you know, we know this is a big investment.
Speaker 2: Sharon Bollenbach is the executive director of the FIFA World Cup twenty twenty six Toronto Secretariat.
Speaker 13: Our budget here in Toronto is three hundred and eighty million and that has been approved by council. It is in terms of funding partners, we have significant funding partners from our federal government as well as our provincial government and then of course the City of Toronto, so it's really all three levels government are contributing and the City of Toronto's portion is around one hundred and eighty million, and much of that comes from so that we can reduce the burden on sort of the tax space. Much of that portion that the city is contributing to the event is coming from some reserve funds. We're putting in place a municipal accommodation tax as a source of revenue for a temporary period over the course leading into the tournament and for the couple of months after as well. We have a big commercial revenue strategy around bringing in host city supporters and other hospitality, sales and opportunities for corporate and other businesses and so on in the city.
Speaker 2: Toronto's upgrades include better public transit and the development of training centers, but a sizable portion of the budget is going towards upgrading Bimo Field, where Nick Eves is the Chief Operating Officer.
Speaker 14: FIFA minimum requirement is to get the stadium up to a forty five thousan five hundred capacity. Today the stadium holds about thirty thousand, so we'll be building a temporary ten thousand on the north end, another seven thousand on the south end. The north end structure in addition to that temporary seating, will also have a permanent two levels of hospitality suites, which of course will be usable for the World Cup matches. All of that work must be complete by March in order for us to then go and host some test matches here to really sort of dry run and experience some of this new infrastructure that's been put into place.
Speaker 11: So on the first phase of.
Speaker 14: Construction we're on schedule. We will be on schedule for the second phase because ultimately we have to hit that March date. To host the test matches and then we need to hand the stadium over to FIFA thirty days from the opening match.
Speaker 2: As it turns out, FIFA requires a lot from hosts beyond just stadium capacity. In a published list of government guarantees, FIFA lists the quote significant mid and long term socioeconomic benefits for host countries that to justify a list of requirements that include tax exemptions for the tournament and support in security, public transport and infrastructure. And it also takes over external advertising spaces. So Toronto's Beimo Field becomes Toronto Stadium and MetLife Stadium becomes New York New Jersey Stadium.
Speaker 13: It's the biggest, broadest, most diverse, kind of far reaching World Cup there has ever been, and so with that has come a lot of learnings, and I think FIFA have learned a lot quite frankly as well about working with three countries, working with sixteen host cities. So there's been some things and elements of the agreement and of the requirements that have been laid out from day one, there's been some elements that have shifted, and that's been open dialogue and open communication and an understanding of what are some of the realities that are happening in Toronto that might be different than the realities happening in Vancouver or happening in Los angele are happening in New York or Dallas. So there's been some shifts and some ability for us to work together with FIFA to determine what some of those things are. But FIFA, definitely, you know, this is their tournament. This is their tournament. They own the property as it were, and so they will come in I think it's May early May and sort of take over the stadium. They will manage their portions of this tournament and work with us. They understand our budget, they know what our budget is. We've had to push back on some things. You know, there's been some good dialogue on some of the items where we just don't have the budget to maybe meet some of some of the requirements that have been in place, and so that's been a bit of give and take. You know, what are the primary things that we want to make sure in place and what are those things that maybe we can we can adjust and change a little bit. So that's again been an open dialogue FIFA. So I have to say I have been great partners. We've had the ability to really discuss openly some of the elements, understanding it's their tournament and they've run it for many, many years as we all know.
Speaker 2: And FIFA certainly knows how to make money off of it. The eleven billion dollars in revenue it expects to receive will come largely from broadcast deals, ticket packages and sponsorships. Andrew Zimboleist is a professor of economics at Smith College and author of Circus Maximus, The economic gamble behind hosting the World Cup and Olympics. There's a good deal of revenue that doesn't come back to the cities who are sponsoring these things, particularly, it goes to FIFA. What happens to the money to FIFA? Where does that money go?
Speaker 15: Well, it goes to making sure that Jiohnny Infantino has a very comfortable and luxurious life for one and his various deputies. But more importantly, the vast majority of the money goes to soccer federations around the world. So each of the participants in FIFA, the Internet Soccer Association, each of the country participants has a national soccer association and they're in charge of developing soccer in their country. They spend money for youth youth soccer programs, They spend money for facilities, they spend money to train referees and officials and so on. So most of the money, the overwhelming majority, probably ninety percent of the money that is generated for FEVER gets reinvested back into reinvested back into the soccer development worldwide.
Speaker 2: So where do the host cities see a return. They get none of FIFA's windfall, but expect to make money through revenue streams like increased tourism, job creation, and global exposure. For Toronto, that's expected to result in six hundred and eighty six million dollars of positive economic output for the greater area, according to a report from Deloitte and FIFA. Adam vancouverden Is Canada's Secretary of State for Sport and a former Olympic champion in kayaking.
Speaker 16: It is a big upfront investment, but we know that it's going to pay off. For example, the federal government is investing two hundred and twenty million dollars between Toronto and Vancouver to ensure that these thirteen games are world class, safe and really really exciting for Canadians. The provincial governments are also coming forward with hundreds of millions of dollars, and the cities are also investing, as our private companies and FIFA especially, So it's an exercise and collaboration, like I said, but the result is a massive positive economic output that Canadians, Canada, Canadian businesses, everybody will see the benefit from that. Likely we're going to see about two billion dollars increase to our GDP, as well as about three point eight billion dollars efforts of four billion dollars in positive economic output. We're talking about almost twenty five thousand jobs to be attributed to the FIFA World Cup in twenty twenty six, So the economics are very very sound. It looks like it's going to be a huge boon for Canada's economy, but I'm sure the same is true in the United States and New Mexico as well.
Speaker 2: Yet not everyone is convinced.
Speaker 15: So you put the costs and the revenues together, you can get a variety of different outcomes, but more likely than not, there's not a financial benefit for the host city, although virtually every one of the sixteen cities in North America will have an increased flow of tourism into the city. Virtually everyone I suspect very often the soccer tourists, the soccer fans, replace the normal fans. So somebody who might otherwise be thinking about a trip to Vancouver, Canada to watch some of the World Cup games might decide Ge is as nice as Vancouver is, and it is a great city. As nice as it is, I'm not going to go there when the World Cup is happening because I'm not going to be able to get a ticket to the game, or I don't want to spend five hundred dollars to get a ticket to the game, and so why would I want to put up with the congestion and the higher hotel prices. And so what happens is the soccer tourists substitute for the normal tourists. The normal tourists are the ones that spread the word best about the city, and tourism in cities is best at advertised by the actual visitors who come and they go home and they talk to their friends, neighbors and relatives about what a nice city it is and the different pleasures that they had when they were in the city. If the World Cup tourists are replacing the normal tourists. That's not good for long run tourism as a general principle. The other thing that's true is that FIFA requires the host city to basically cancel all sales taxes and related taxes on things that are related to the games. If the tourists come to the city and they go to what's called the fan fest for the World Cup in the city, the city is required to put on a fan fest and they buy things at the fan fest, say they buy food, that's money being spent on hamburgers and hot dogs. That's not being spent at a normal tourist restaurant in the city. A normal tourist restaurant in the city will produce sales taxes and revenue for the host city, but if it's being spent at FanFest, there's no taxes allowed. Same thing with ticket prices. They're not allowed to charge a sales tax on ticket prices. So the city can actually be losing money because if they were playing a normal sport in the summertime and people were buying tickets to be a sales tax on that, that would be revenue to the city. But when they're hosting the World Cup, they're not allowed to have that.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of talk about long term benefits from hosting World Cup Games. How sure can we ever be that in fact it's worth it.
Speaker 15: There's always the hope when you host a sport mega event and you're put in quotes onto the world stage to a degree that you hadn't been before. There's always the hope that there'll be more people around the world who now want to visit your city, and there'll be more companies around the world who now want to trade with them for your products, and there'll be more investors around the world who now want to invest in your city. We don't have any evidence that that happens. Those claims have been made frequently, they're made, certainly abundantly in the case of London in twenty twelve when they hosted the Summer Games, but there really isn't any evidence. Good companies don't trade with a city or the country because they hosted a sport mega event, and they don't invest in a city for that reason. They invest in cities because they have good resources, because they have a good labor force, because they have good fiscal legislation, because they have good transportation, and good location visa via their markets. And I think that if everything aligns properly, if the city already has the ready made soccer stadium or stadiums, and they already have the transportation infrastructure and security infrastructure, and FIFA is giving them some of the more interesting games during the course of the World Cup, then the revenue side could go up a little bit and the cost side could be moderated, and at the end of the day, maybe they generate a small surplus.
Speaker 2: Ultimately surplus or not. The World Cup's reach goes far beyond the spreadsheet, and perhaps few know that better than Canada's Olympic champion turned politician.
Speaker 16: I know the power of sport. It has the power to change lives for the better. When we invest in physical activity programs and recreation opportunities young people, for families, and for older folks alike, we get positive social outcomes. But we also see the economic benefits. We see reductions in healthcare costs, we see less of a strain on our judicial system. We see kids happier, healthier and more connected, and our community is really coming to life. And that's what I expect to see with FIFA when it comes to town We're going to celebrate the beautiful game. We're going to celebrate the opportunity to play host for six incredible games here in Toronto and seven across the country in Vancouver. But I know that in every city across Canada, you're going to be celebrating the great game of soccer.
Speaker 2: Much has been made in recent years about the booming business of sports, and next year's World Cup looks set to be no different. But perhaps the lasting legacy of a successful tournament won't lie on the bottom line, but what happens inside the white lines that does it for us. Here at Wall Street Week, I'm David Weston. See you next week for more stories of capitalism.