Speaker 1: All right, it's always a camp treat. When Brian Baldinger comes here to one jet's drive. I got some news to report right off the bat here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers. Yeah, he's a great football player.
Speaker 2: He's a great player, you know, and I'm you know, just marveling out there today. Uh. He's not just great, but he's entertaining, like because you know, you're in this business and you see all kinds of levels of play at all positions. But like the way that he still throws the football, the timing, the spin, the release, like it's all there like you can't help it. And you know that connection that he has and is growing with Garrett Wilson is I mean, it's it's special. It's special. You could tell you watch it today, Like just the adjustment to these throws. It was fun to watch.
Speaker 1: You had an opportunity to visit with him after practices, you and Judy Batista from NFL Network. Of course we love Judy, yep. What were your impressions of where Aaron's at right now?
Speaker 2: I think he's first of all, he's so thoughtful. I mean, honestly, people can have whatever opinion they want about anybody, but when you sit down and talk football with Aaron Rodgers. There's no cliche answers. There's no just you know, let's get through this. Like he literally thinks about every question and then his answers are so thoughtful, you know, and there's one thing after another where you know, just in a second year here of what they need to do as a team and what can happen here and how players why they can come together, and how they can come together, and the new additions in the offensive line. He knows every aspect of this.
Speaker 1: The greatest players who've ever played this game enjoy the grind the most, don't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do. In fact, Aaron was talking about, you know, coming into this league and two thousand and five whatever, and what practices were like back then. Yeah, the two days, the contact, you know, you don't get that now, and so guys like Aaron who's had to adjust, okay, is every rep's important. You know, you don't get that chance where you have an off day, you know, but you know, we'll be back at the grind tomorrow. You don't. You don't get that. There'll be in full pads on Monday. And he's thankful that he gets a day off tomorrow. But you know, for the most part, like he wanted every rep out there to really he says he still needs to refine his gain. Practice is important, the reps are important, and he's still working on little things, subtle things that maybe somebody else doesn't notice. But even like today, you know, obviously we asked him about you know, the Achilles and coming back, and you know, at the start of camp he said he was five percent away. And then he said, there was a play today that happened where there was quick pressure up the middle and it forced him out of the pocket and he was flushed to his right right and he had to get on the horse. He had to like explode and move to make a throw over the middle. And he said that felt Goodah, felt good today, you know, like that movement that I need to have when things do break down. I got to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: How impressive is the arm? Still at forty this is his twentieth NFL year. He doesn't seem like he's lost anything off the fastball.
Speaker 2: No, And you can't say that, you know, we we saw you know, Brett Favre lose his We saw Peyton Manning lose his not everybody. We saw Drew Brees lose his You can't say this stage, after four practice that anything is different from the way Aaron throws a ball. It's still magical that the placement to touch. You saw the play, you know, down the goal line the two minute drill, so you know he got the call for interference. So he got a second shot at the one yard line and he stuck that ball to Alan Lazard off a little play action. But the only way you make that throw is you got to stick it like you can't take it. Like it's got to hit Blazard right in the chest and it did over everywhere. You know, it's got to be it's got to be really fast, and you know, just so there's different types of throws, but that throw, you just see it, and you know the only way they score is if that ball just gets there that fast.
Speaker 1: Every time I see pressure, I'm like, defense is gonna be in trouble on this one because he sees it's coming and he knows exactly where the weakness is in your coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now he sees, he sees all eleven, he sees the sideline, he sees the substitutions. He you know, he knows like, look the game. He knows the game. He knows the game inside out. He knows how to get the You know, I guess here's an old saying. Yeah, I love this saying, but it applies to Aaron. You know the problem with experiences is that by the time you get enough of it, you're too old to enjoy it. And I feel like with Aaron, all that experience, he can still enjoy it. He can still use it to his advantage whenever he can see the opportunity for an advantage.
Speaker 1: So what I see is the opportunity for the Jets to have complementary pieces. For a while now, we've been watching this team have very solid defense paired with special teams, while offensively scuffled due to injuries. We go to it last year and the number of quarterbacks you played in the different line combinations. But now you watch them and I know they're in shorts, but you wonder, what is the potential of this offense? And when is the last time we've said that about the Jets.
Speaker 2: Well, a couple of things. One and the tern pointed us out, like, Okay, you bring in Tyron, you bring in Mortgage, you bring in John Simpson, but a lot of guys got a lot of reps last year. Carter Warren played, you know, Wes Weitzer played, you know, you know the Max Mitchell played. I mean, you got a lot of guys that got a lot of experience last year, and so now you know if something would and you draft Olu, right, so now something happens, you feel like you've got depth to hold up. And guys that are in the system, been in the system, know the offense. So that's that's a positive. But the thing that really jumped out was he said, you know, Baldi, sometimes when you're in shorts, the run game sort of suffers. It's kind of hard to see holes. Defense has the advantage. He said, Breece Hole has been saying like, this looks different. I can see movement, I see holes, I know where they're at, you know. And so Breece, I feel like is going to benefit when you talk about this offense, I feel like this season, I know it's his third year, but I think this can be one of those years that you just you know, you put it up there at or near the top of the record books.
Speaker 1: Wow. And he had more than fifteen hundred yards from Scribbler.
Speaker 2: He was second to Christian McCaffrey and total yards last year. Yeah, behind a broken line and quarterbacks that through a grand total eleven touchdowns like this, this could be really special.
Speaker 1: The roster was pretty good last year, but that's what Aaron has emphasized, that we're better up front, and that's just changed his entire dynamic.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, look, if you want to look at the best teams in this league, the teams that are are in playing in the divisional round, playing in the you know, semi finals, like you just look at their offensive lines and look at how they play. And you look at Detroit's offensive line right now, you look at Kansas City's offensive line, you know, San Francisco when Trent's in there like there. You can talk about the quarterbacks all you want in all those places they had great seasons, but it starts upfront. And it always does. When when Kansas City got whipped by Tampa and the Super Bowl, they went out and drafted Creede Humphrey and Trey Smith and these guys have played nearly every snap since and they fixed their line in one off season, and Mahomes has benefited from it.
Speaker 1: What's gonna change when these guys get pads on. I mean, we might be running this podcast, you might be listening to it, washing it while the pads are on. But we just got through the acclamation period. Now what changes, well.
Speaker 2: What changes is the intensity. No, Like, look, when you're in shorts and shoulder pads, if you're walking through, there's a tant to see to just mentally lighten up a little bit. When the pads go on and the pop and you can hear the popping that the intensity goes up, the competition goes up. The one on ones now, the one on ones offensive and defensive line. You know, is Jermaine Johnson winning, Is Tyron Smith winning? Like you're trying to win the rep. Now. It's not life or death, but it changes your the contact of the game. You hear the contact. You know, Quincy and CJ get to unload got you know, throws over the middle all of a sudden aren't gonna be so easy. So like you want to you want to practice safely, but at the same time, mentally, you step on the field and you're in full pads, you're like, okay, like I gotta bring my a game right here. I gotta be on today.
Speaker 1: We saw today Jermaine Johnson and John Simpsons exchanging pleasantries after a play. Think little cooler heads prevailed. I want to ask about Javon Kinlaw. I was amazed the other day after practice when these guys were walking off the field. How big of a do dude? This is former first round pick. That means he has loads of potential. Robert Salad knows it better than anybody. He coached him up in twenty twenty. You think, if your kin Law, you're looking at this is this is my second chance, a chance at a career breakthrough.
Speaker 2: It's a fresh start.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, his first two years in this league, he was injured a lot, didn't you know, miss a lot of games, missed a lot of time, had you know, a variety of injuries. He looks healthy, he is, he's a specimen. I feel like this is a chance he had. Look, they have a great defensive front in San Francisco. They put a lot of resources into it. But this is a chance for him to get more snaps, more meaningful snaps. And look, if he's going in there for Quinn Williams and quinnin needs a blow, you don't want to be that guy where the big plays happen, Like there's peer pressure that if you're in that second wave of you know, second wave of guys up there, and they might be mass substitutions, resting your starters what you have to do to get through a seventeen game season. So time a chance for Javon to like more than just be a power pusher, and he's got to become a better passer rusher and he's got that chance.
Speaker 1: Jermine Johnson talked about it the other day, said Tyrone Smith is the best pass protector in football. With that being said, how much does that help a guy like him and whomever is out there on the edge going against that guy.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the first thing is, you know, Tyrone is a pro and you just watch him after practice work on his craft, like the game is highly highly important. Jermaine's gonna go against one of the best, Uh, you know, not to not to say that Pina or Lane or Trent isn't the best. He's going up against the best. That practice is hard every day and you know, and so you go against the best, you got to bring your best. And just talking to Jermaine during practice today, EA, I feel like his approach is the best approach he's going to have. I think he's studied the game. I think you'll see him in a lot more two point stands, like the way Von Miller rushes when you're kind of rolling off your foot. If you're waiting on the ball to move to win the rep, you might be too late because these tackles are leaving early. So you better be watching the foot. You better be watching the knee of the offensive tackle, like that's gonna be your indicator. Yeah, I think because he's getting bigger and stronger, I think some of these guys getting off like you might see more speed to power from him. But I think you're going to see the very best of Jermaine And it will actually shock me if he doesn't play at a Pro Bowl level, because the talent is there and the system is there to be a Pro Bowl player.
Speaker 1: John Franklin Moiers, he's in done for He was a valuable piece of the defensive line. He's a guy who couldnage and then dip inside. You think Jermaine possibly could do that. He talked about the other day that hey, I'm willing to do anything these guys want me to. Another guy who caught my eye today just looking at him. Michael clembs Clements has definitely lost some weight. Yeah, his body looks a little bit transformed.
Speaker 2: Well, he had to be. He had to be quicker off the edge. He's a guy that could play inside and outside. He's mostly been on the edge. But this is his third year signed for Michael to like prove that he belongs in his business. You know, we all raved about him when he first came and his work ethic and how hard he played the series approach to the game. But you know it's it's about production now and there's gonna be an opportunity for the second wave of guys to come in and get reps, meaningful reps. But I can see Jermaine. Look, you're looking for matchups in this thing. Yeah, and so Quinn is going to draw double teams. You leave quinnin one on one in this business, you put him on a center one on one. It's not a center. He's not going to be. I don't care where and who it's against. So you better give Quinn that type of attention. And so the guy opposite him, whether he's out at end or on the other at defensive tackle, that guy's going to get a chance to get a one on one and a lot of pass protection schemes, and so you know you want to be able to win those.
Speaker 1: I think Hassan Raddick can fit in any defense. He's so talented. Specifically, what do you think about the fit here?
Speaker 2: I think it's an awesome fit. I mean if you look at Hassan and Jermaine and you know whether it's Lecky or whether it's kin Law and quinnin, I mean, that's that's four dudes up front. Like Hassan. Look, he broke his thumber wrist earlier season. Last year he was playing with the cast on. I mean he had nineteen and a half sacks a year before. Like he was like he was a quarterback killer, you know. And he's got such quickness and change the direction. He could rush from anywhere. He's excellent coming off stunts. That's why getting him in here is really important because those stunts aren't you like you just don't show up and run. These stunts are based off timing, like the drive. There's different things to look for. You've got to build timing with the guys next to you.
Speaker 1: So that goes under the radar. As far as storyline, way under the radar, Yeah, because there are changes up front and you do have talented pieces, but oftentimes you're working together.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes you don't even call a stunt. Sometimes you fall into a stunt. You know, if Asan takes an inside rush and he's getting penetration, but there's nobody out there setting the edge, your defense tackle might just see that and play off them. So he might just go, Okay, we gotta have somebody if Josh Allen gets out like it's containing him and so they might not be you know, an exit call and then tackle game like that might be something that that tackle's got to just realize and fall into. And so there's a lot of you know, there's a lot of communication that has to take place. It starts in meeting rooms, going through tapes. It's out there on the practice fields and walkthroughs. It's certainly in the scrim in the games. These these things are really really valuable.
Speaker 1: If you had any question marks about the Jets right now, what would it be.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's every every team, but you know, there's there's an injury history here with certain players, and so the injury thing outside of that, I feel like the team is very complete. You know, we need Hassani in here. We need Michael Williams to keep getting closer and closer and closer to getting out here. Yep, you know, and you can't push that, like I saw him running today, like he still needs some time, but you know, you want to try to get as many healthy bodies as much practice time and prep time going into week one?
Speaker 1: Right now, what were your thoughts on to his new contracts and you just talked to Aaron Rodgers about Jordan Love, Jordan Jordan Love celebrating a new deal.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing, and you know it's it's great, I mean because honestly, the fraternity of players are always pulling for other players, because honestly, Aaron Rodgers set the bar at one point in his career, you know. And now you know Joe Burrow, you know Lamar Jalen Hurts like now Tua, you know Joe. You know, so all these guys are just feeding off the other guys, you know. But the fact is, if you don't have that guy, you can't compete. And so you look at Jordan Love, God bless him, like nobody knew that he could do what he did until he did it, and now you feel like Green Bay's in good shape. And the fact is, and now Tua got his. So we got some young guys. I mean, these guys aren't twenty five years old and they're getting their second contracts and their teams are being led by them. But from a league standpoint, we can't have enough great young quarterbacks. It's a quarterback driven league. The ratings are driven by it, the games are driven by it, every aspect. Fantasy football fans, you get great quarterback play, you're going to get a great game.
Speaker 1: Do you like what you see in the AFC at the quarterback position? We can go up and down the list. He talked about Josh Allen before Aaron Rodgers inside his division. I think I think most people would make the argument that too is not elite, but he certainly had success. Then you go to a f C North, you got Joe Burrow coming back. You got Sean Watson, he's got a chip on his shoulder in Baltimore, you got a two time NFL MVP and Lamar Jackson. We can continue last year.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh, look, it starts with Mahomes.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, but you know Lamar I was gonna get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know it starts with Mahomes. But look, Justin Herbert probably gonna get the best out of Justin Herbert with with you know, Jim Harball out there, Lamar is set. Like the Baltimore Ravens last year led the league in play action passing, Okay, I mean it's the threat of their run game gets their deep passing game going. They've got some very good skilled people. Now Derek Henry's there, I'll see Joe Burrow tomorrow, you know. And look, Jamar Chase came out and said last year when Joe was injured, he said, quote, I'm open. I'm always bleeping open. Like the quarterback receiver combinations are dangerous, and you go up and down the roster of these teams right now in the AFC, Josh Allen will like, we know his talent, We'll see what the receivers emerge to. It probably has as much speed on his side of the ball as any team that's ever played the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah saying something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know Devanna Chain and Mostard and Tyreek and Wata. I mean, it's it's scary how much speed they have. And so look it's it's uh, only seven can make it from the AFC. It's gonna be highly highly competitive.
Speaker 1: Where are your camp tours taking you of this?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna yeah.
Speaker 1: So you said you're going to Cincinnati and wall where else.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be in Cincinnati. I'm gonna be in Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta. I'll be at the Hall of Fame game. I'll be with the Giants. I'll be with h Buffalo. I'll be in Cleveland for Houston Cleveland scrimmage. I'll be in Philly, uh, and then I'm going out west. I'll be here for your scrimmage with Washington on August eighth. I'll be out West doing stuff at our NFL network in Los Angeles. So I hope to see the Chargers and the Rams. The Raiders are out there, so I hope to see them. When I'm out there, I should see over half the league.
Speaker 1: You love football? How much do you enjoy this time of the year, particularly?
Speaker 2: You know, I love this time of the league the year. I mean, I get a chance to go talk to Jermaine Johnson. Today, I get a chance to spend time with Tyrone Smith. We sat down with Aaron Rodgers. It's great to build one on one relationships, especially with the young guys like I talked to Garrett Wilson today and you know, Sean Jefferson's you know, is back here. He's a great receiver coach. So I feel like this time of the year to go see some of the veteran players, but meet the young guys like I met Olu today for the first time, you know, so you know, you know, I've done the breakdowns on him and he knows who I am. But it's good to, you know, face to face to see him out there work with Morgan and Tyrone after practice, Like some of the stuff is just cool to me. And so I really treasure the time I get to spend with some of the coaches. I talked to you, f Olbrick for a long time today. I saw coach Sala like to spend time with the coaches, the players, the new, the new guys like you can't. There's just enough time to do that.
Speaker 1: You know, Brick's gotta be chomping at the bit watching Rogers. It's gonna make his defense even better facing a guy like that. But also he's got to be thinking in his head. Hey man, if we get to the regular season and this guy's wheeling a deal on it, well, I'm gonna be operating.
Speaker 2: Like I told Jeff, I said, I can only imagine what you think about what your defense can do if you got to lead, you know, and Ana Rodgers said, if you get you get a team down two touchdowns in this league right now, you are gonna make them one dimensional. And you this team has a chance to step on some throats and put some people away. They haven't had that luxury. And even Jeff, you know, said, look, I got this stuff. It's in the bag, like I can't really get to it. You know, we're just not we don't have that luxury. But they they've got things that they can dial up. You know, if they have that lead and they have the threat of scoring you know, twenty four or thirty points in a game in that range, and they have that chance this year, and this defense has a chance to really put up some numbers, put some teams away, take the ball away when they can make some teams, you know, one dimensional.
Speaker 1: I want to close here. I know you're going to the city. This is always fun. What's your sense as far as the environment here? Maybe the atmosphere at one Jets Drive that might be different than twenty twenty three because Robert Salis mentioned it that it feels quieter. There's a sense of calmness. From my money, Baldy, I say that the newness is gone, but these guys could benefit from the experience everything that he went through it last year.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean last year was all about a lot of hype. Obviously, Hard Knox is here and they do a great job, you know, and the show was good, but that is you know, you're playing they're not to players are playing to any of that. They're not, but it's good to have that sort of calmness. They're not there. You don't have to worry about any of that. You don't have to worry about guys micd up. You can literally go and you have the second year in these systems, so I don't care any offensive player that was here last year. They're not learning a brand new system. They have a familiarity with what's coming. And then you have the bulk of this team is very experienced players on both sides of the ball. You know, it's a very workmanlike approach. But at the same time, because you never got to really see it last year, there's still that excitement that this guy is special. Number eight makes a difference. What we can be this year can be something that a lot of Jet fans have not witnessed, you know, in their lifetime.
Speaker 1: Well, that you're special too. If anybody sees in the city tonight or on your camp tours, like walking through the airport or anything like that, can they take a selfie?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Come on, can we break it down?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, absolutely, I think I did some where was I I met some uh, I met some Jet fans in the Naples airport. Yeah, I saw some Eagle fans. We took some selfies. Yeah, the NFL fans. I was over there last week vacationing. Any NFL fan they they got, they got my attention.
Speaker 1: Green looks good on it.
Speaker 2: It feels good to wear the green. I I want to sit in this chair with you. All I can think about e A is sitting in this chair with you, doing a podcast like this for a meaningful game in January, Like I'm looking ahead.
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah,