Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama, Girl Drama, Girl, all about them high school queens, We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl sharing for the right team, Drama Queens, Jaylie's Up Girl Fashion, which your tough girl?
Speaker 1: You could sit with us, Girl Drama, Queen Drama, Queise Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens Drama Queens.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone, Hello, Robert Buckley, Hi, so how are you hey?
Speaker 4: And hello to everyone at home.
Speaker 3: Gang, We got a fun one for you today, Episode seven fifteen, Season seven, episode fifteen, Don't You Forget About Me? Cue the song, Air date February first, twenty ten. Tell them what it's about, soph.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is such a fun one. In the chaos surrounding an eighties alumni dance at the high school, it's a fundraiser dance, by the way. That's not in the synopsis, but does feel relevant, Hayley's birthday gets for gotten, Jamie's left home alone, and Nathan and Claire stranded two hundred miles from tree Hill. Meanwhile, Brook's appearance at the dance with Alexander forces Julian to relive his dorky adolescence in an episode dedicated to the memory of John Hughes. Les Butler directed this. It was written by Terry Coley. This was so fun.
Speaker 3: Yes, agreed, are you? Are you a big fan of the eighties and of John Hughes immense.
Speaker 4: Like an immense John Hughes fan. I went through a phase where I probably watched The Breakfast Club once a week for two years. Wow, Like, I just I don't know, I just love the whole era. I think, you know, from that to Ferris Bueller's Day Off to Pretty in paink in sixteen Handles, like, it was such an iconic moment in film history. And I think the nostalgia of it relates to this show because you really had a lot of kids trying to figure out their identity and like talk about their feelings and figure out how to be good to each other and forgive each other. And I don't know, there's something something about getting to honor John Hughes on a show like one Trehill felt like a really big deal.
Speaker 3: Yes, I had forgotten entirely that we had done this episode. By the way, Really, I am a huge John Hughes fan. I'm a big eighties fan. When I became an actor, one of my bucket list dreams was to work with John Hughes. So when he passed, I was devastated because his movies they're so unique in that they entertain you, but they leave you feeling good when you walk out of the movie theater. There's actual, like substance. They're nutritious, you know, it's not like diet coke. Like a lot of movies, there's ninety minutes of content, but they don't make your heart feel better, you know, And his weord just different. And so when you know, the episode opens with was it simple minds? Don't you forget about me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And oh, I just I loved it. I thought it was so great. So do you remember did he did he pass? Like? Ride around this time and we just quickly turned around an episode dedicated to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it must have been. I would imagine it was a few months before filming. I don't really remember in the calendar, but obviously they had to figure out how to do it. And then the sort of device of letting all of us adults honor John Hughes and then giving Jamie the home alone storyline. Yeah, felt so sweet because it sort of merged the worlds we grew up in, you know, as viewers, and to your point that we kind of grew up idolizing, like similarly to you, I really always hoped I'd get to make a John Hughes movie. And it is really weird when you're heroes pass away because it so confronting about time, and I don't know, I think it's really special that we got to do something that felt like that and felt authentic to us as well. And then you know the fact that our team, our studio was able to also get cheap trick to come in and perform was so crazy and cool. Yeah, it was really neat.
Speaker 3: This show continually crushes it when it comes to music. I'm constantly amazed at what we pulled off. You know, we talk about sometimes how things happen on this show, and it feels like it feels a bit half baked, where it's like, oh, man, if we had just given that a little bit more thought, we could have pulled this off so much more successfully. I felt like this was an example of they really executed it very well in terms of yes kind of seamlessly fitting in the eighties vibe, the homages to all of the different John Hughes movies. It was all done very very just cleverly like it all worked. None of it was sort of clunky or awkward, you know, because we're referencing I think, what let's see home alone, sixteen candles, pretty in pink, planes, trains and automobiles, and Uncle Buck with a lot of movie references to get right, you know, but they wove it all together quite well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is a lot.
Speaker 3: Forgive me, because this is the John Hughes these movies that I'm not super clear about. The iconic shot of is it Molly Ringwold and Andrew whatever his name is with the cake in the middle, Is that pretty in pink or sixteen candles?
Speaker 4: I asked the same question. Hold on, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To google Andrew McCarthy is his name, because I knew we were referencing one of them. Obviously, Ducky is I don't even know which one Ducky is either.
Speaker 4: Pretty in pink? Okay is what I'm finding online? I had the exact same question. I was like, wait, is it pretty in bangor is it sixteen candles?
Speaker 3: But it okay is sixteen candles? Molly Ringwold as well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean she's in all of them.
Speaker 3: Good for her in.
Speaker 4: Every John Hughes movie. She was only sixteen when she did Breakfast Club. What.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that blows my mind.
Speaker 4: Really, fifteen when they made sixteen Candles, sixteen when they did the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I gotta say, if an actor wants a dressed I feel like one of the worst answers you could give to shut them down is you're not that kind of girl. Ooof, you know what I mean, that's a great way to get someone to dig in their heels.
Speaker 4: Your character's just not that cool.
Speaker 3: Sorry woof, infinitely smarter. I will say wardrobe killed it this episode. Hair makeup as well. Oh my gosh, I did have a question. This is a very obvious boy question. But okay, Quinn uses a flat iron apparently to achieve the kind of crimped look.
Speaker 4: So a crimper is essentially it's the same tool as a flat iron, you know, flat side, and then there's the there's the metal plates in it, but instead of the metal plates being flat on the inside, they're in like a they're in this they're in like a zigzag, like a triangle shape. So when you push the flat iron together, it actually crimps the hair, and so instead of grabbing it and dragging it down like you see girls do with a flat iron, you grab and press and hold for a minute and then it's crimped and then you keep going. So you have to do each section on the plates.
Speaker 3: Gotcha? Okay? See I thought she was holding a flat iron, and so I was very confused as to how a flat iron would achieve such a crimped look. But that's it.
Speaker 4: It's the shape of the plate, got it. The more you know, you know.
Speaker 3: Do you remember in the eighties, And you might be too young for this, but there was, you know, because there was things we grew up with that we were like taught to be afraid of that just had absolutely no like like real world and like presence, like quicksand for example, I was definitely afraid of quicksand as a kid, I've never seen quicksand in my life. No, do you remember hearing about how aerosol hair sprays were destroying the ozone? Yes, what happened?
Speaker 5: I don't actually know, because we still have plenty of aerosol hair sprays, But I feel do we just have bigger fish to fry? I don't know, Because do you remember hearing like I remember being at like a younger age and hearing like, yes, these hair sprays are destroying our ozone.
Speaker 4: Well, and there was a big deal, especially when we were little kids. The hole in the ozone layer was growing. But then all of these great regulations and environmental protections were put into place, and and you know, hundreds of thousands of acres of land were planted with trees that would pull carbon and like all these great things. And then you cut to a couple of years ago and like these terrible people set like half the Amazon on fire. And I'm like, so, I know, the ozone started to get better, but then we essentially set the lungs of the planet on fire. Is anybody going to give us an update about that? Like, I know, it's really bad. And people talked about how it could you know, push climate into like terrifying, a terrifying sort of zone where we're going to go past to sea, and then like what happens to the global food supply? That wow, this has really taking a turn. Yeah, now you know what I spend all my free time reading about and I'm like, okay, I read all the really really scary things. Is anybody going to like, let us know what we need to do about that, because you talk to us way more about hairspray than you did about like fires that ate up hundreds of thousands of acres of the trees that keep us alive. So thank you for reminding me of that terrifying thing, Rob that I know I'm going to have to go and check in on an update for on the internet after this episode.
Speaker 3: They're like, listen, don't worry about what we're doing to the rainforest. You need to be focused on acid rain and clicksand and killer.
Speaker 4: Bees and rats of unusual size.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know there's a lot to be worried about, which is all the more reason why we need an episode like this.
Speaker 4: We need a John Hughes moment.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question. When you think eighties hair makeup, what's the first thing that comes to your mind?
Speaker 4: I think a lot about Is it Helmet Newton? He did all these really edgy portraits of women, and like I think they did. Didn't he do music videos?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, sof does this, I'll give my answer. Okay, for me, it's Moose. Moose is like when Moose is so specifically eighties in fact I was doing. I was doing some sort of job not too long ago, and the hairstyles put moose in my hair, and I remember feeling like, did you just find that in a time capsule? Like I haven't seen that in the two decades. Still works though?
Speaker 4: It absolutely does. And by the way, I had to do a shoot recently and they put moose in my hair and I was like, wow, this feels like a real throwback. I didn't say anything because it was my first day on set with these people, and at the end of the day, I was like, my hair still looks really good. Is mooseless? Secret?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay. Robert Palmer was the eighties music video guy Addicted to Love, and it was all the like hot chicks in the black dresses and the really beautiful like red lips, severe eye. This is what I think about immediately when I think about eighties style yees, like all these chicks in their black dresses with the guitars and the red lips just looking epic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know this look right, Yeah, And.
Speaker 4: I loved that I got to do a version of that that was actually me and Carol's inspiration for Brooke was like the shape of the dress looks a lot like those eighties electric guitars. And it's the black velvet and the red lip and the big hair, like we really wanted to lean into that. Kelly Kopowski meets a Robert Palmer video girl and it was the highlight for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great reference, Kelly Kopowski. Yes, right, that hair is so perfectly eighties my gal. I thought, Yeah, the wardrobe was so good. I was bummed that Clay didn't get to get in on it, but I loved the planes, trains and automobile storyline with Nathan and Clay's actually a memory I a clear memory I have from shooting the series was doing it. Yes, First of all, I remember being at the gas station the scene where Clay and Nathan because I thought deluge was pronounced deluge and the produce ready to come out and go like it's it's deluge and I was like, I don't think so. It was one of those ones where I was wrong and confident and I had I had to be corrected by several different people. And then the pigs. I remember being in the back of the truck with with James and the pigs. How is that it was great?
Speaker 4: Stinky?
Speaker 3: Probably Yeah, but what I just remember is going like, this is cool, this is my job, Like this is awesome, you know, it's this is we're sitting in the back of the truck with pigs. Also, there was so much fun stuff, you know what it did. They did a really good thing with that storyline where even that little snapshot of a John Hughes movie was like a John Hughes movie in the sense that we had laughs, but then we had emotional sincerity, like when Clay actually talks about losing Sarah, and then there's like the hero's redemption they actually for It's so hard to do an episode of television when you have so many characters to serve. This is the thing like people don't realize. When you have an entire ensemble, it oftentimes worked out to where it's like every character gets five minutes of screen time, you know, when you have such a big cast, and it's really hard to tell a whole story in five minutes. But that storyline they did an exceptional job with because it really kind of had its own arc, its own beginning, middle, and end. So Yeah, while I was bummed I didn't get to take part in the eighties fashion, I loved because I also love planes, trains, and automobiles. It's just iconic, you know, the only thing missing from that homage was the incredible scene at the airport where Steve Martin goes to get a rental car and it's not there, and he has the vulgarity laden tirade where he's like, you know, and I guess apparently that that little riff in the movie. I think that was what got did that movie. I think that movie was an r I think we're hearing because of that scene. Yeah, and the studio is saying like no, because especially back then, I don't know if it's still the case our movies, you're not able to gross as much as a PG thirteen movie. But I believe John Hughes saying or the thing was like, no, that's that needs to stay in the picture.
Speaker 4: I loved And I want to reference this because it comes up at the beginning of the episode. And I actually think it's so cool that it happened in this one, because we talked about it last week with Austin that it would have been so much better if he had been in one of the rooms in Lucas's house and overheard the director berating Alex like just on the other side of the doorway, and we got it in this one because Brooke and Julian are in Lucas's old bedroom and you know, she has the bit about like this teamster is, you know, painting over my childhood and I, by the way, I love the Teamster shout out because they just ratified their new union deal and I was like, go Teamsters. It maybe really proud, but it's like one of those jokes that's burned into my brain. But it's so great because Brook's talking about the dance and Julian's not getting it and they're back in this bedroom that she tried to have good communication with a boy and in high school and it failed. And then right on the other side of the wall, Alex when Julian comes out, is like she's asking you to the dance and he's like, no, she's not, and she's like, yes, she is, You're going. And it's this great moment because it does feel so high school, and it also gives us the thing we really wanted last week that we didn't get, and I loved that it happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was a very big fan of Alex the Wingman. Yeah, I will say I So I was. I love that because it was so believable, like I'm the same way. I'm such I can be so thick headed and just like not pick up on cues and subtleties. I'd be like, she doesn't like me, you know. So I was. I totally understood that. But so I loved all of that. I loved and it was kind of cool that the two Alex's were both actually just sort of there to like Wingman and Cheerlead. Yeah, love that dynamic. The weird thing that I I didn't I bumped on hard was at the end of it when alex I think she's talking. I think she's talking to Alexander, yeah, outside the school, and she's like, just so you know, like those two are gonna end up, like she loves him or something like that, and he goes, well, how do you know? And she says, because I love him too. I was like, what, why are we still telling people you love him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's weird. It would have been better if she'd said some version of it that was like in the past tense, yes, like I used to love him and there's no getting between those two or something. Yeah, you know, like I've seen it, They're meant to be something. It. It was weird because she's rooting for them, and then she's also like, but I love him.
Speaker 3: It's bizarre And that's fine if you still have feelings for him, But I don't know why you'd advertise that right, especially to someone, especially to the person who is Brook's right hand man.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's interesting too because Brooke has had the conversation uh with other people about what it was like to be the third in the Brook, Peyton and Lucas love triangle, like there's no getting between Peyton and Lucas. You could give the audience that familiar feeling in that Easter egg of like, I know what it's like to be in this love triangle. There's no getting between those two. And it would really get into that canon of the One Tree Hill relationships, right, like the end games are such a big deal, YadA YadA, and instead it's like, wait, is she being the sweetest person in the world or kind of a stalker?
Speaker 3: Like what's that's it? Exactly? Because I'm still trying to figure out like who Alex is, Like what what is Alex going forward? And so throughout the entirety of this episode, I was thinking, sweet, she has sort of come to terms with the fact that it's Brooke and Julian and now she's just going to be a team player. And then so to do this, to make this proclamation, it's not really a proclamation, but to make this admission, it just it's like, yeah, it kind of muddies the water of like, so, is this sincere?
Speaker 4: It kind of takes the charm out of the whole night.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, we'll put that's what it is, I think. And I just because she's been so I was sort of hoping that we would just settle into this, we're finally just friends with no ulterior motives, and then she says this at the very end, I'm like, oh, friends, don't do.
Speaker 4: That, because you know what it is. It could have been very similar to last week with Mouth and Miss Lauren, where you get to see these friends who really see each other and they have great chemistry, but that chemistry is not romantic, and the Alex and Julian chemistry as friends and sidekicks is so great. And then in a way, like it pulls the rug out from under itself by having her say she still has feelings for him.
Speaker 3: And I wonder just to what end it was in there for, because I don't know, are they still trying to have alex be a potential threat too? Brilliant? I don't remember where the story goes, so that I'm genuinely asking, I.
Speaker 4: Was just going to say, I'm embarrassed. I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I don't remember how long alex is as a round for. But that was my only question was are we still trying to like have the presence of a potential threat? Is that why that's happening? I don't know it was. It would have been a lot cooler if like she hit on Alexander, sure, or.
Speaker 4: If she even admitted that it's hard. But she's trying to be a good friend because by the way, that's what he's doing, you know, he he is so charming through this episode, coming in to check on her, offering to be a date, saying, look, Miami, vice is my that's my jam. And the way like that shot of him of Mitch outside, you know, on the trans am in the suit, it's so charming, Like holy is it charming? And I don't know, I like that he really shows up for her as a friend and even if he likes Brooke, he's not talking about it. Yeah, and it would be cool to see him in Alex Alexander and Alex wind up in the same kind of space. But then the writers like took it away from her a little bit, and I don't love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also that Miami Vice suit was incredible.
Speaker 4: He looks so good and his hair is so good. Oh good, the whole thing is perfect. I also like that he comes in and he ribs her about the dress a little bit. He's like, what is like what is this? What like Flamenco dancing contest or whatever? He says, are you going to and she realizes she has to redo it. My flag on the play there is whose hands are cutting and sewing my dress? Because they are not mine?
Speaker 3: Oh? How funny?
Speaker 4: Like they realized they didn't shoot inserts, and I'm like, you guys, I had like I had a manicure, and whoever whoever's hands they used for the inserts had like rings on that aren't mine. And it's so silly to me. So that a big flag for me.
Speaker 3: In There is there a world in which was Alexander's hands or were they female hands?
Speaker 4: No, they were they were a lady's hands.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I didn't catch that. Oh it's good though.
Speaker 4: Like it's a shot of like scissors cutting the red crinkle fabric that becomes the sash on my dress, and then sewing like through the sewing machine, feeding the fabric through, and I'm like, I don't know whose hands those are, but they are. It was kind of a trip.
Speaker 3: But yeah, to your point, I think anything Alex would have said, all you have to do is just make it past tense.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The issue is that she's stating it as if it's just how she's currently still feeling. That makes it sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And she's been such a great friend recently to Julian that it it makes her kindness seem suspect and then it's like, well is she kind or conniving?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I don't think that that's necessary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we've put her through enough extreme stuff. Can you just have her be a human for a while? Yeah, Like, just let her be a buddy.
Speaker 4: They really ran Alex and Millie through the ringer this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know how else they ran through the ringer this episode, Kylie.
Speaker 4: Poor Sasha, God, Sasha is such a good sport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, They're like, just show up in a bikini. We're gonna pour a smoothie on you.
Speaker 4: I didn't what.
Speaker 3: No, they did her dirty in this episode.
Speaker 4: They really literally I wondered if it was sort of a you know, the famous red bikini scene, and that's a John Hughes movie right when the girl gets out fast times at Ridgemont High.
Speaker 3: Is not that's not John Hughes.
Speaker 4: It's not John Hughes.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't believe so so well it's in.
Speaker 4: That era, then, I guess, And it felt like they wanted to kind of reference that, but they did it in this way that was a bit degrading, and it was also weird. It felt so left of center for Quinn. I was like, wait, Quinn is like pretty chill, and then she like dumped a smoothie on this girl and is accusing is like calling her a whore. It feels like a lot.
Speaker 3: Well, and it doesn't help that literally, last episode she was telling Haley to kill Taylor with kindness and she was like, I'm a high road type gal, I kill with kindness, and then the next episode she's pouring a smoothie on this gal. It neither way made sense to me saw Kylie's I don't understand she's not like a real person because she just shows up at Clays to swim without even talking to him, which again is just odd. She has a key and she goes to let herself in, and then she's mad when the door's not open. It's like, what kind of a real person would do that?
Speaker 4: No, it's all very weird. And she has such a great storyline in this episode because she is the babe from Weird Science, but it opens so oddly, and again it reminds me of what we talked about with Austin last week, that they had an idea for how to bring the Kylie character back so that they could do the lock thing and Clay could be cute to Quinn and then Kylie could be the fantasy girl from Weird Science in this episode. But it feels like they never got past the outline on her scenes. It was like they just left the bullet points from the outline in and they didn't flesh out last week or these first scenes this week. Because then once Kylie gets to the dance with Mouth, it's so great, but when she shows up for the date and we're doing this really gross, like They wrote all these really sort of transphobic things in the episode about how there's no girl so perfect she's going to be a he and then to prove that she's a woman, she flashed her tits at him. I'm like, what, Like it felt so yucky, And i mean, poor Sasha. It's like, look, you show up as an actor and you have to do your job, and she committed. She did such a great job. She made it charming and funny and sassy, and she winds up just being the sweetest, sad girl who feels like she doesn't get picked. And you know, the scene where they wind up together at the locker between her and Quinn is actually so sweet. Yeah, And I was like, did it have to be so mean to get here? Couldn't we have just gotten here anyway?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And you know, the whole weird science thing like that is male wish fulfillment, right, That's the whole point.
Speaker 4: It's like this like creepy male gaze stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But they definitely continued with that theme because the thing that I just killed me man was at the end of the episode her in mouth walk out to the parking lot and she says, well, but you have been a true so we can go and have a shag. And it just felt like as if she was offering him a cookie, like, well, you weren't a complete asshole, so how about I give you some sex. It's like what, what?
Speaker 4: Yes? It just come And it feels like this recycling of the not it's not the charming John Hughes of it all. No one's learning a lesson. It's no different than last week where they had Taylor say and the rest, as they say, was sex. It's like, no one's saying that at the dinner table. That's not how women talk, and this girl is not gonna do this with mouth, Like I don't know, maybe they would say, you know, why don't we start over, let's go to a bar, let's go have a great time, and she realizes he's an amazing dancer, and they wind up going to like have a night together.
Speaker 3: But it's so.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I feel like eight year old boys wrote these scenes and I'm like, what is happening here?
Speaker 3: Even the act that she's so hung up on Clay when all we've ever seen is her laying in Clay's bed, and then she makes one comment to him about maybe feelings and he goes, I don't believe in love, like he shuts her down hard, hard, and ever since then it's like she has keys to the house. Yeah, weird and uh, and she's in love with him, but again it's odd, like so she shows up to his house to swim but doesn't go to talk to him. And then now now it's uh, the like, yeah, just it's it's so, it's so odd. So I just had such a massive brain fart. What was I talking about.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just this thing of us really going like it feels reductive and illogical, like Kylie can't possibly be in love with Clay there it is also why does she have keys? Because the only time we've seen her show up at his house he has to let her in. Yes, So again, it just feels to me like they had these bullet points in the outline and then they never fleshed out those scenes because they were doing really great work in so many other scenes. And I know we talk about this, I do want to be careful. I feel like I don't want to be totally negative because I actually loved this episode, but it is hard. I think from these points we're all in when we are you know, older and wiser when you know many of us are directors and producers and our literal job is to break down scripts to make sure they're as good as they can be. And then you look back and you go like, wait, all of these actors are so good, everyone is so charming, The setup for the episode is actually so adorable. Who doesn't love John Hughes? And then you're like, you could have done better by this character, who's actually great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And to be fair, I mean, I'm not really complaining about this episode. This is just this one story line where we feel for Kylie. And also they they really nailed it with again sort of going back to how when you have an ensemble and you really break down the math of how many minutes of airtime you have and how many characters you have, like genuinely, you get to a spot where you're like, we have six minutes with this character to tell a whole episode. Yes, and if they didn't flesh out the Kylie storyline, which let's be honest, that's not the ABC or probably even D storyline, Like that's okay because they nailed it with all of the main characters. Yeah, but that's not to say that, like they couldn't have done a little bit more just to humanize her.
Speaker 4: Just a little adjustment, like two clicks to the left would have been great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the point when I when I lost the thread when I was gonna get to is it just I didn't earn the moment when they're in the parking lot and Kylie looks over and sees Clay and Quinn reuniting, and she kind of has that look of longing. I know at that moment is but I just found myself going. But it's just odd how into him she is, and how completely oblivious and he he is, and how he's just like not there for her at all. Yeah, one sided is a better way of putting it.
Speaker 4: He's having appropriate reaction, and she's been assigned adoration based on pages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just at that last little exchange with Mouth, instead of just going, well, you sort of behaved yourself tonight, So here's some sex as a reward. It would have been so so much better if and said it was like, well, like let's go get waffles, you know, anything, pancakes, Yeah, see a breakfast food of any type, you know, Yes, just like that. I would have just been nice to see, like, let's let her just be a let's let her be a person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it would have been nice. I was wondering if you remember watching everyone in the parking lot. It didn't seem like that was a freezing night. Sometimes I feel like you can see the cold on camera. I could see how cold it was when you and James were at the gas station and in the pig truck, Like, I I know you guys were freezing, and this episode airing what does it say February first, I'm like, oof. This was probably the first episode we shot coming back from the New Year's break, Like, were you just frozen in the back of a truck with some little piggies?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I remember when they gave wardrobe options for being in the back of that truck. It was one of those moments where I was like, give me every suggestion you have as a Yes, you got a silly hat, put a silly hat on it, you got gloves, give me gloves. Because the scene at the gas station, I don't remember that being very cold. I mean to be fair, most most of it plays inside the car anyways, but yeah, that truck was cold because it's cold outside. And then you're also just you're just exposed to the wind, chill and the breeze, so that that was cold, but at least it was It was funny and distracting because you just have unruly pigs, and so we'd be like halfway into a take, you know, and a pig would want to like cuddle up with you, and it's just you know, you'd be like, Okay, this is happening. We're just gonna we're gonna go with it.
Speaker 4: The little baby pigs in the back.
Speaker 3: They weren't the most professional of scene partners, but they were adorable. It worked, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And then the hiking I also watching I in all caps, I wrote, why are they hiking? Did love that'll do? Pig? Your little quoting babe was so sweet?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And how did it go? Did Clay didn't confess right away about Sarah?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Didn't? Nathan kind of admonish him a couple of times?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys have been hiking for a while, and he flips out, which I thought was great. You know, I liked that we got a little bit of realism because again, these characters all have these crazy jobs, like it's all fantasyland, right, And I liked that he said, I spend over half the year on the road. The least I can do is be home for my wife's birthday. It was such a nice thing because it does. It reminded me of you know, there'd be weekends where like we would have worked a hundred hours and we'd go straight from set at five am on Saturday morning to the airport to get on a six am flight to get home for somebody's wedding or something, because you're just never home. Yeah, And it felt so true to me what he was saying. And I think in a way when he said, you know, you'd understand that if you'd ever been married. I was not expecting it. And when he said that to you, the look on your face coincided with me going like I gasped out loud alone in my house, and I was it felt like such a sucker punch. And then I literally wrote down I was like, wow, they really played the scene well, like I got very lost in it, and it was amazing that I as if you or I got to watch you be hurt by that and then realize that the only way to undo that hurt was to tell the truth. Because he just doesn't know. He says something shitty to you, but it's shitty because he doesn't know. Yeah, And the way that you share together in that moment was so good. And and he thinks you're joking. And then you explain that she died, and I wrote down I have all these notes about both of the ways you both reacted. The look on James's face. He looks away, he looks down, He like shakes his head. He doesn't know what to do. Yeah, and he says, I'm so sorry. I thought you were joking. Yeah, Like, and you realize these two people are so close and they do love each other so much, and their friendship is so meaningful, but this thing not existing between them until this moment like creates a big hole. It was really beautiful. You guys were so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thinks And I'm glad you brought up because I loved this scene. You know, I love I love emotional vulnerability on a guy. I love emotional accessibility. And it's it was such a great invitation, you know, for like intimacy between these two of like, yeah, okay, we're pals. Like I'm going to really let you see me here, you know, I'm going to drop the guard and I love, like you said, I think the way he played it was perfect. I like the way that Clay delivers it because it's not punitive. It's not like, well you don't think this, but guess what. You know? He was just saying, hey, matter of fact, by the way, I've never shared this with you. Here some of my here's some of my story, you know. And I love the way he did it because it's so honest. That would be That's how how i'd react, is like, that's not funny, that's that's don't don't make that joke. And then oh my god, you're not joking. Oh you know, but it landed. It was so great man. Yeah, and just sets the stage for them getting even closer, which is which is awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the bit with the woman who drives by and the whole thing, and you know when he shows back up to rescue you and he's like, I bought her car. It's so it's a great buddy comedy that you guys have going in this whole episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Was that Christy Swanson? I think so because I remember shooting that scene and just remember having a moment of going, no freaking way the og Buffy, I get to do a scene with the og Buffy. But yeah, again, like the fact we have her and cheap trick, like it just it fired on all cylinders. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did really really well, and and I really love that all of those eighties references, you know, from the obvious to maybe the niche, depending on what people know about the era and those shows and those movies. They really layered all of that stuff in so well. Even the fact that Brooke and Julian have their scene with you know, the nerd and the popular girl in shop class like it was such a good choice. It wasn't over by the punch bowl, you know. It was so fun. And the one thing I do wish and I remember because obviously I had that really intense red lipstick on. I barely kiss him, and that would have been my note. Watching it back, I was like, oh, I should have just kissed him and we should have reset and gotten the lipstick off his face. But it was so colorful that I was trying to be careful and you know, respectful of Austin's face and time, and that was the one thing I wish we had changed. But I do think that the scene itself was so sweet because he talks about, you know, losing his confidence and it's nice to see that on a movie director. And she talks about, you know, knowing what it's like to get a kiss from the popular girl, which was always something she was self conscious about. And now it's like, oh, well, if you can own that, I can on this too, And I don't know, it was this very sweet. I felt like I saw them as adults and as teenagers, like healing their teen years in their present together.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, I'm actually glad you didn't put a bigger kiss on him. Really, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: Mean like a makeout. I just meant I wish i'd like kissed him, and I felt like I pecked him so that I didn't red up his face.
Speaker 3: The reason that worked for me was because I it left me a little confused that you kissed him. But then the episode goes on to say that, like you're still broken up? Yeah, because to me that kiss is sort of an invitation back in. That's how That's how I interpreted it, Like if my ex so I still have feelings for who I know, I feelings for me kisses me. That is sort of the door being opened to let's revisit this now. So I was confused because after that scene there's some sort of mention of like, we're gonna it's gonna be hard, we're gonna figure it out, and I was confused going but you just you just sort of showed. So I'm glad it wasn't more of a kiss because that would have been even more confusing of like you just had this wildly passionate kiss and now you know, because then it would have been like you're back on you know what I mean like that. And so because you made it small, it was sad. Yeah, it was sad. It was sad, and it also made sense because in those movies, that is the kind of kiss that the popular girl gives the nerdy guy. It's sort of a consolation prize. Here you go, it's an adam. Here you go, pal, here's a kiss for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was like a sad thing. And I remember I do have that sense memory of being in the scene, and what we really wanted to capture was the sadness of the timing being off, but the longing for them, you know. And it's interesting you saying that has made me think even about what I was just saying that in a way, I see them as adults, and also I see them kind of reliving their like childhood wounds together. That's what they say, right, is that like, when you get into the right relationship, it's healthy in the present, but it can help you heal your past. And it's actually sort of special. And I hadn't thought about it until you said it, that we're we're getting a window into Brook and Julian ultimately being right for each other and being able to like grow together and heal together. But in this moment, the timing is still a little off, so there's duck and the being kind of in limbo or stuck in tandem. Is it's so sad and so sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you guys both played it great. But yeah, the opening of that scene of Julian just sitting in the half assembled car by himself cracked me up. Man, that was so funny, and his ducky outfit was next level when he and Jenna walked in. First of all, your hair was incredible, Like, you guys nailed your hair. But when when alex and Julian walked in, I mean everyone though Alexander was the same everyone who dressed up for this dance lacredible.
Speaker 4: His hair kind of up like that. He looked so good. I loved it. Everyone looked great, and I loved also, especially because of the way the writing was for Jana in the episode prior to this, in seven fourteen. You know, they made a lot of this guy hitting on her and her being barely dressed and all this stuff. I love that she came into the dance looking like Skipper, like Barbie's kid's sister, Like she looked beautiful, but she was in like little Bermuda shorts and like she wasn't in something like whoa Sexy, which obviously Jana can do. And I thought it was a very cool choice because her and Julian in a way came in looking more like siblings than like people on a date, and it was a really smart choice from the wardrobe department to try to signal that they were really there as friends.
Speaker 3: Mm hm, you know yeah. And again it's like, so that's why I wish that they had she hadn't said I'm still in love with him, because it's like they're doing all of these things right to pave a really cool friendship exactly By the way, speaking of her on set, do you remember last episode. We didn't really talk about this, but that director the caricature of a terrible director is like, let's let's let's see the scene. First of all, she has no scene partner, there is no other actor on set to run lines with, and she gets like four words in before he's like, it's terrible, it's whatever it is.
Speaker 4: And by the way, she's tearing up. She's fully emotionally present and he's like, terrible acting. I'm like, wait, what's happening here.
Speaker 3: That was so confusing to me because, like you said, first of all, I just felt like, if the director's doing that for you, it's like usually to run words like let's just hear the words if your scene partner's out there. She actually does the performance. She gets emotional, and he's like like he's not even paying attention. He's like, that's terrible. You should have And I think that's the moment where he like grabs her wrists and he.
Speaker 4: Goes her wrists. It's so gross.
Speaker 3: He makes some comment about her like needing to do better next time.
Speaker 4: It was like she says, can't you do anything right? What awful?
Speaker 3: Gasp? I did not.
Speaker 4: Okay, man, Janna's a pro because she she showed up beautifully, And yeah, I think you're right, especially because of the arc from fourteen to fifteen is so good for her. She's really, you know, mustering her strength and doing everything as right as she knows how to do. That's why it feels like a little bit of a sabotage to have her say the thing to Alexander at the end, because you're like, no, she's doing better than this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a sabotage. And it's also just not smart, like why would you tell the right hand man to the love interest of them?
Speaker 6: Just yes, you know.
Speaker 4: I Well, it was pretty wonderful regardless. I know we mentioned it, but I I did really love the sort of making up moment between Quinn and Kylie at the end. I remember that they had to be really careful. They basically put like a hair piece in Kylie Sasha's hair that they actually cut, so they basically put like fake hair in the back and put that in the locker, and I remember everyone being like, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, please don't cut any of her actual hair, and not feeling really stressful. I love how funny she was when Quinn's like, why do you have scissors in your Like I was gonna slash your tires?
Speaker 3: Would she pulled out a pair of scissors. It's funny because you see my notes, I'm like, why does she have a pair of scissors in her purse going to a school dance? And then underneath it, it's just never mind, they explained it right away.
Speaker 4: It's genius. Actually, yeah, it's so good. I I also thought Grubs was so sweet. It was nice to see him back, even though he barely did anything in the episode. To your point, such a big ensemble. I wish though that they'd had someone like why didn't Kylie ask for a drink? And he know what she wanted? Like Grubbs being the psychic bartender is such a good bit that that was the one thing I was sad didn't happen here. But the rest of it, I just loved it. I loved Jackson having the whole home alone thing and then doing that sped up like kid, you know, on a sugar rush, running around the house and falling over the furniture and all of it was just it was really fun. I did make a note and maybe you will remember this. At the end, Nathan shows up in his amazing eighties hero moment and she's like, whose car is that? And he says it's yours. Happy birthday baby. Do we ever see this Porsche that he bought again?
Speaker 3: I have no idea. That's a great question.
Speaker 4: I wrote it down. I was like, wait, I don't remember. Do we ever see this car again? Or is it literally just a joke or a bit rather for this episode because if we don't see it again, that's going to be annoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have no idea if we do or not? The uh? I just an unrelated question. Do did Mouth move back in with Millie?
Speaker 4: So he says he's going to stay a while, and obviously that's where he's staying m hm. But they haven't addressed it. But I was like, is he staying in Skills his old room or are they just like sharing a bed but they're broken up. I was curious about that as well.
Speaker 3: My honorable mention of this episode would be when Jamie hatches the plan to get himself home alone when he calls Junk and Fergie, uh is it is? It is called? No? I forget which ones which but I think it's junk. Hangs up the phone and he goes, Oh, I guess they don't. They don't. They don't need us to babysit Jamie today. He goes why, He says, uh, he said they're going in a different direction.
Speaker 4: In a different direction.
Speaker 3: That cracked me up. That's such a funny use because that's something they say in acting, like if you audition for a role and you don't get it, often a kind way of them saying is like, oh, they went in a different direction. So to hear that with babysitting cracked me up.
Speaker 4: It was a sweet little nod to people who know the industry and the fact that the episode is really booke. Ended with Julian's movie and he talks about how nervous he is for his you know, first big speech, and you see him in Brooke doing this thing together anyway, and at the end he makes the speech and they have that sweet moment of eye contact and then Julian says and action and it cuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just loved it. I was like, it's so adorable and it's a really cool way to end on a director. And then you cut to in memory of John hughes and I was like, that's some of those little moments. I'm like, that's really movie and TV magic at its best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was sweet. There was a funny moment in that when when Julian does that where he goes and action and for those who are just listening at home, I'm also showing he did like a hand gesture as if he was like a karate chop. Yeah, And I laughed, like that's I wonder if that was a choice on his part because he's a new director, because no directors ever do a hand gesture while they yell action because no one's looking at them. But I thought that's great if he's just a little awkward and doesn't know, so he's just like and action hand chop.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Or was it because they were like, do something into camera because the last shot of the episode is him looking down the barrel of the lens like who knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that was great, It's so sweet.
Speaker 4: Well, I think overall we actually really loved this episode. It made me very nostalgic.
Speaker 3: This episode was great. Did it seem like we were tearing it apart too much? I feel like there was a couple of little nitpicky things. But I think overall this episode was awesome.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing, and you know, we talk obviously a lot about therapy on our shows, so like no one is surprised that we are working through things. I mentioned to you that, like we were beginning to joke about something last week, and then I was like, ah, I don't know, I don't know. I never like to joke about I'm the person who gets very anxious joking about anything if I'm not the butt of the joke. Like I can't even finish a joke, usually if it's about someone else and people are like, yeah, but I'm in on the joke, but I get overly nervous, and I think because I threw myself into like a bundle of nerves, I just now I'm like, I don't know, I don't know. Maybe it's too much, is it too critical?
Speaker 6: A lot?
Speaker 4: I'm stuck in the loop of it, which is you know, a fun ADHD brain thing that happens to me and.
Speaker 3: Wonderful some of your neurospiciness.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Do you have an honorable mention from this app? I?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean really the wardrobe for me is the honorable mention because it it really built the world. I was also going to say, though, I just because I'm looking at it. Some of those little things like going in a different direction and action, there's little things we know that felt like inside jokes. And when Julian asks Alex why there's no changes, why do we have a golden Rod script, and she was like, I wasn't gonna let the final pages be salmon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's such a funny thing that if you work on a set, you know the color order of the pages that you get, and I always loved the Golden Rod pages the most and it just made me laugh. So I don't know, maybe it's our little inside industry film jokes that also get my honorable mention.
Speaker 3: It's a tie, yeah, because that joke is only for a very small audience.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. If you're not if you're not hip with the industry, you would never get that. All right, Well, if you're going to give it to wardrobe, I'm gonna give it to hair and makeup because between the two, I mean seriously, the wardrobe and the hair makeup. And this episode made me so happy, and also the music department just killed it.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: This show always does a good job with music. But I mean, I love the eighties. I'm a child of the eighties, so it has a very special place in my heart. So yeah, this episode was right up my alley.
Speaker 6: Loved it.
Speaker 4: Okay, we've got a question, A listener question, Matilde, says Sophia. In a recent episode, you said to the characters, weren't allowed to have pets. Yes, nobody on the production side wanted to deal with animals. If you all had pets, what would your character have? And why? I mean, is Clay like a Golden Retriever guy? Or is he the guy that has a ferret.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest, Clay himself is a bit of a Golden Retriever. So you know how they say the pet dog owners usually look like their dog. Yeah, it would be pretty on brand if Clay had a Golden Retriever. But that being said, as soon as you said this question, my first thought was, would Cla have a.
Speaker 4: Monkey like Ross used too on Friends?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, I.
Speaker 4: Mean people definitely look like their dogs. I have a big, old square jaw and I've always had like a big, square headed piple.
Speaker 3: Oh you did, I haven't thought about that. It was a gall with one eye right, yeah, Oh, she was so lovely.
Speaker 4: He was really the best.
Speaker 3: What was a boy?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Patch, I thought it was a girl. Yeah Patch. I remember Patch in the hair Maker and.
Speaker 4: Penny was the little girl, the little orange one. Yeah. Oh so yummy.
Speaker 3: I love a sweet pit man.
Speaker 4: Oh they're so good. I I could see if I think about the ways were similar. I think Brooke Davis would also love a rescue dog like that, because she she likes to take bets on people. But if I'm not trying to relate us too closely, I think in my fantasy world because I'm really allergic to cats, so I can't have one, even though I think they're pretty amazing. I think Brooke would have one of those like gorgeous little Bengal cats, you know, the ones that have like the leopard spots on them and the green eyes. But their house cats whoa, No, they are so gorgeous. They look like this.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yeah that is a good looking cat that also feels very Brooke Davis.
Speaker 4: Don't you think she'd have like a chic little kitty. Oh exactly, look at their little eyes.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Like if I would not be constantly unable to see and sneezing. I would have one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not worth theologies, but it's a good looking cat.
Speaker 4: Right, So yeah, I think Brooke might be a cat lady.
Speaker 3: I love it. Are we spinning a wheel or we just we should?
Speaker 4: We didn't a wheel last time.
Speaker 3: We didn't.
Speaker 4: We got so excited talking about things with Austin we just bumped right out, what do we got most likely to get their pilot's license?
Speaker 3: I mean it's Chase, he did agreed, yep.
Speaker 4: Has anybody actually done that on our show? Though? Like in real life.
Speaker 3: Tyler Hilton stop. I don't know if Tyler actually finished his certification, but he definitely started the process and has flowing planes.
Speaker 4: Whoa, Okay, wow, I missed that.
Speaker 3: We got it. I was actually just talking about this. I was like, when do you come back on the show, dude, I'm dying to get you on, and he said not till season nine? No, is that possible?
Speaker 4: We should probably just have him join us for an episode and like watch and give us commentary.
Speaker 3: We should because he's he's just so funny and such a great guy. We should yet, we should do that. We can also ask me about this flying because I'm pretty sure had something he did. In fact, at the convention, we were talking and he made some friends. He's like, yeah, it's like they tell you when you're learning to fly. I was like, don't say that, Like that's relatable to me. Guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, sorry, what.
Speaker 3: I've never flown a plane. Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well maybe we we need to get him on here.
Speaker 3: We'll get him right here. Well, let's tell the folks we got next week. So what do we got?
Speaker 4: Okay, next episode. We will be back together for season seven, episode sixteen. My attendance is bad, but my intentions are good.
Speaker 3: That's a great title.
Speaker 4: It's a very good title.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining, everybody, keeping.
Speaker 4: The high school theme going. Thanks friends, We'll see you next week. Hey, thanks for listening. Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at drama Queen's ot or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: See you next time.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama girl, Drama Girl, all about.
Speaker 4: Them high school queens forever. We'll take you for a ride. And our comic girl cheering for the Right Teams.
Speaker 2: Drama Queens Chelise my girl up Girl Fashion with your tough girl
Speaker 1: You could sit with us girl Drama, Queens, drama, queise drama, queens drama, drama, queens drama queens