Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama Girl Drama Girl, all about them high school Queens, We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl sharing for the Right Teams, Drama Queens, Jaylie's Up Girl Fashion, which your tough girl, you could sit with us Girl Drama, Queen Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, drahn McQueen's Drama Queens.
Speaker 1: Well, hello friends, we are back and post not one, but two conventions. We're really like feeling the giddy here you've got us for season seven, episode fourteen, absolutely titled Family Affair, which is really what our conventions feel like now. This aired originally January twenty fifth, twenty ten, and today our special guest will read the synopsis for us Austin take it away.
Speaker 3: Here we go. The synopsis. Nathan tries to keep Haley calm after Taylor shows up at their house with Quin's ex husband in toe, Julie and sticks up for alex on the set of their movie, and Brooke leans on Alexander to ease her heartache. Meanwhile, Clay gets a chance to prove his commitment to Quinn by helping her through a dinner with her sister and David. This episode was directed by Paul Johansson, writers Mike Harrow and David Strauss.
Speaker 4: This was a good one.
Speaker 1: This was a really.
Speaker 3: Jump good morning whore. You can leave now start the episode. I just started laughing out lout. I was like, oh my god, this this episode is going to be full on? Was this peak? Just like what did? I wrote some notes like peak juicy one Tree Hill. It just seems so juicy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or was it always in every episode?
Speaker 1: I don't think it was always this intense, but it really went for the jugular on the like old school. It sort of made me flash back that morning scene. I was like, Wow, we've really graduated from uh like Brooke Bevin, Daniil or Rachel and Peyton being like slut hoor bitch, thank you in like you know, season three or whatever that was. I was like, Oh, we're on good Morning horror. And then the response is nothing he hasn't seen before, reminding the audience that Taylor is the one who took Nathan's virginity. I was like, wow, we're really Yeah, these girls are like in the mud. It was. It was really something.
Speaker 3: It was definitely gratuitous, and I was I immediately went like, was it sweeps week? Like, what was the you know, it was very It's just very juicy.
Speaker 4: Well, in that same scene, Joy has the incredible line. Haley has the great line which she says, you like that outfit enough to get buried in it? Or do you want to go put something on? It's like like they set the tone in a very good way. Like you knew immediately after that first scene, Okay, this is what we have in store for ourselves.
Speaker 1: Great, Yeah, you knew it was going to be knockdown, drag out through the whole episode, which becomes literal by the end. But what I sort of I don't know. I sort of loved it well because it made me giggle. You know, we've all talked so much about how like the on screen drama is great, but there's also just the preposterousness of what happens when you trap a group of young people together for ten years and like everybody's dated, everybody, everybody knows everybody's business. And I was like, wow, they're taking like some of these people's lives and making it so extra and so ridiculous. It just made me giggle. I was like, I feel like I saw things in it this time around that I didn't see in real time then, And yeah, it felt very ballsy one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I was you know, we're all older now, years have gone by, and you're you know, looking back at ourselves as kids doing this stuff and going, what what's going on? I can't believe we were doing this, but you know, it's a young drama about young people. I love it. It is. It's interesting to watch it with older eyes.
Speaker 1: Isn't it.
Speaker 4: What were some of the things that you noticed this time around?
Speaker 1: So for me, it made me laugh because I think back to our lives in season seven and they were like very mellow. My early life on this show was not. And it was very funny to me to be like, oh, in a very similar way to the way I think Brooke and Julian sort of look on screen almost like the mom and dad now, like they have a little bit of drama, but it's gentle. I was like, Wow, there's just shows happening, and people had shows going on in their life, and it made me laugh because I was just so relieved that it wasn't me, and I just like, I don't know, there's a there's like a playfulness to all of it that is so ridiculous but also kind of legit. And I think we've talked about this. I'm really trying to be careful because I don't want to be specific about anybody's lives obviously, but like there's times when our lives were mined for on screen drama and times when on screen drama was so ridiculous and unrealistic, and I can just I can see all of that in this episode, Like some of it's not based in any reality, some of it's based in reality. Some of it's so extreme and ridiculous, and it just makes me giggle because to Austin's point, like it's been so long, we all laugh at each other. We've been a family now for almost twenty years, and I don't know, I was just very amused. It all felt very meta and it made me laugh a lot.
Speaker 4: Well, it made for good TV because this was a fun episode.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 3: It really was. And I also want to say, like, Sophia, what did you think about the pool? The girls all going in the pool at the end, like complete honesty, I.
Speaker 1: Think I actually made notes about this. Hold on, let me scroll down because I remembered, like when the episode started, I was like, oh, yeah, this is the one where they all fight and wind up in the pool. What I wish they'd done for the girls because I actually thought you got this flashback Haley and Taylor wrestling was really good because it was so childish. And what bummed me out is that they very clearly just wanted the girls to end up in the pool. And I was like, wouldn't it have been great if they'd shot something where like, I don't know, Taylor had gotten Haley on the ground and like wouldn't get off of her, and so Quinn shoved Taylor in the pool and then Taylor grabbed Quinn's leg, Like I would have loved to have seen everybody wind up in there in a little bit of a messier way. And I was kind of bummed that they it worked obviously, and it was probably a safety thing, let's be real, but I was bummed that they just had Chantelle knock everyone into the pool like kind of out of nowhere. I was like, oh, that that doesn't track and like.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: I felt like it was a missed opportunity to give them a little more comedy, and that bummed me out a little bit. And I only say that because Rob and I have been talking a lot lately, and we did this last week when Joy was with us for our Friends listening. She's on her book tour, so we don't have her this week, so sweet Austin came to fill in, so thank you. But like we talked last week about how there are these opportunities to have things be really grounded, and they're almost there, they're ninety percent of the way there, and then they're ten percent lazy. And I was like, I would have loved to have seen Quinn like try to get rip Taylor off of Haley and then they all fall in the pool. But I was like, they had her like dive at the girls like alignment in a football game. I was like, why did you make her do that? Because she's like a tall, elegant person who also is strong and could totally do like a stunt sequence. And I was like, oh man, it was all working for me until they like they just made the girls get wet to get wet, and that bummed me out a little bit. Is that why you're asking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, I you know, the part of I have two minds about it one, it was hilarious and entertaining, and then the second part of me starts going, Okay, this is a little gratuitous. The guys are drinking beers and watching, and I'm glad they weren't in underwear, you know what I mean, Like, yes, you know, if Nathan had like you said, if Nathan had like maybe tried to intervene and then he gets pushed, or if it had been more of an accident, or even if yeah you know, melee like you said, or even guys in trying to whatever. But yeah, it did. It did enter the realm of hot girls fighting in a swimming pool, yeah, watching And I was like, yeah, yeah, I totally agree with you.
Speaker 1: And everyone's already so dressed up, like it's a dinner at home, and girls are in like mini skirts and corsets, four in shield like it's already so crazy, and then they get in the pool. I don't know. I I saw both sides of it. I liked the goofy sibling thing, and I wish we'd leaned more into it because to your point, the girls were like so hot in the in the outfits that I was like, give us, give us the goofy all the way across the finish line in this one moment please.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, you can earn it a bit. It kind of feels like it's It's sort of like when you watch it sometimes you watch a performance of an actor and you go, did they just shoot the first take or the rehearsal. You know, it's sort of like, okay, like you got the words eye, you know. It felt like it was in the writer's room. Someone just pitched it and it went, don't go any further with that idea. It's perfect, Yeah, because it's like just the exactly they end up pool. I don't know, maybe one grabs the other and the other pushes them both in perfect perfect don't change a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. I also I was and I'm not here to rip the episode at all, but I was wondering why anybody would sit down at that dinner. I'm going, why is anyone choosing to sit down at this? I wish that would have been like that dinner would have come together for in a different way, like everyone chows to some for some reason to sit down at that table. And I was like, no, why is this? That one bumped me?
Speaker 1: The one place where I where I got it, and I actually thought it was a really great scene for them. Joy and Chantal did such a good job in the scene at Clay's beach house, because Hailey is like, why are you doing this? And Quinn's like, because this is who Taylor's always been, so I can't let her get to me, and and Hailey makes a joke about killing her. And what bummed me out is there was such a good button on that scene, like yeah, I'm gonna kill her with kindness, like cliches or a cliche for a reason, you know, And they didn't take the bait on it, and I was a little again. I was like, writers, come on, like you've gotten us ninety percent of the way there, finish it. But I did like the idea that Quinn was like, listen, I understand why David's upset with me, and I'm just gonna have to take it. And my sister's always been an appol so she's gonna be an apple. But I wanted I liked that that felt grounded, and then so many other things didn't, and like I'm sorry but saying grace and Taylor saying I have been calling out God's name a lot. I was like oh, they're just it was so, and then she teaches stripper aerobics and the rest, as they say, is sex. I was like, no woman talks like this. If she made the god joke, that would be the end of it.
Speaker 4: They make out at the table in front of other people and no one gets up to leave, right ooh.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm talking about. Like I have two minds of it because it was ridiculous, but I was also just laughing my ass off and enjoying the hell out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's something I've been sort of figuring out lately when I watched the episodes, right is because I found, I think, for a little while, sort of getting into this groove of being critical and like well this like I was sort of becoming the logic police.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't do that on a teen drama.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I realized, Like, that's not what this show is. This isn't a docu series. It's a fun show. And so, like you, Austin, I there was stuff like listen for Taylor and David to show up and spend the night, like there's sociopaths, Like there's so many issues, right, yes, but I just had to go like if that, since that was the start of it, I had to just go, this is going to be a fun ride, and I'm on it. You know, I'm not here to pick apart. Why that doesn't make sense? Like stuff's about to get real awkward and uncomfortable, and I'm here to enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yes, And it's a TV show, and it's like it's a like we're here to you know, to put some some fun, some fun, juicy drama on the screen for the audience.
Speaker 4: But I will say that it did make David just like any any crow that ability or sympathy he had earned with the audience is out the window.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you could rightfully be heartbroken if you've come to a point where the person you love looks at you and says, I just can't do this anymore. Like, we get it, we get it. That's hard. He got left. That's hard. Your response to getting left is to bone her sister, Like, sir, what, it's so crazy? And then they wrote this is what made me nuts. They wrote this thing that he was so mad at her for lying that she'd moved on faster than she had, as if that's the worst thing, that's happened in this dynamic since they broke up, Like he's dating her sister, and he's mad that she suggested she'd moved on more quickly physically than is true. Like, I was like, you can't be mad about that.
Speaker 4: In what world are those two things comparables? Like you dived about sleeping with this guy to push me away. I actually went and sought out your sister and slept with her.
Speaker 1: And am dating her and brought her home for dinner.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's so petty. It's so small time and petty.
Speaker 1: But it also and I want to be clear, I wouldn't say this in a room with a zoom room with two of my favorite men, if you weren't two of my favorite men, Like I get I say these things in front of men because I'm like, you're on the inside the men who wrote this, Like what this says to me about the man who ran our show and the way he looked at women. I think that's why, Like, and now I'm so uncomfortable, you know me, The minute I say something that I worry could ever like be taken the wrong way, then I have anxiety for two days. I was like laughing about how they took little things from everyone's lives and then made them one hundred miles an hour psychotic, insane, sprinkled in and hot fire dust on the show, Like all of this stuff I'm giggling about from the beginning, but like it's actually so nuts that we were in an environment where someone equated these sorts of things, like I've moved on because this really wasn't healthy for me into this is equal to your ex sleeping with your sibling and sticking their tongue down their throat at youd like at your parents' dinner table, essentially, Like it's I just go like, wow, that's the way you think about women and their autonomy, and they're not liking you even This is nuts.
Speaker 4: Right in that same vein to switch scenes for a moment, how about when we are on the set of their movie. It's the first time we've been in Lucas's house on set, and Julian and his dad are talking and we see the director actively groping Alex yes, And unfortunately the response Juliane and his dad have is to make a joke about it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I was like, what are we what?
Speaker 4: I know he's a good guy, Why is this taking so what it was that blew my mind? They're like, well, I guess he's a hands on director. What what are we doing here the.
Speaker 3: Way we're looking at it? You know, I don't remember how I felt when I watched it back then, but I wonder how people felt when they watched it when it was on, Like is that just like, oh, yeah, director's grabbing a book. Cool that happens? Or was were people going We're people going ick? Then?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I don't know, especially because it doesn't take long for you to sort of eventually step up and be a hero about it. I don't like we didn't. We didn't leave that like hanging in the air too long before.
Speaker 3: Oh good point, Yeah, I see. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But that guy's he's just and again as a teenage so but he's just like this extreme caricature.
Speaker 1: Well I was just gonna say caricature. He's not a real person.
Speaker 4: No, he's like he's like a.
Speaker 1: Twisty, mustached like villain guy. And it I thought you, Austin and Jana were so good in that, Like, you guys grounded this relationship that the characters have built. You know, you tried to give her great advice, let her be strong. You know, you asked him to back off all these things, but he didn't feel like a real person to me, which feels like a disservice then to the two of you, because you're great actors and you have to essentially act with like the cookie Monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys talk about how he's a good director, but it would have been so easy to get, Like it would take ten seconds to see him actually giving a substantive note, you know what I mean, Because the problem was it was all it was was just vitual. It was it was playing grab ass and being mean. It's like we didn't see him direct, we didn't see him being a genius. We just saw this guy where it's like, and when you do that, then it makes everyone else look bad for going Why is no one saying anything? Whereas like if he had had a good note or something, then you're like, I see the predicament. He's good for this, you know, yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 1: And Julian still could have come in to save the day when he said something disgusting. But yeah, like the things that Taylor has to say feels so extreme. The way that this director talks felt so extreme, Like that a man would look at you and be like, well, she's gone down more times than the sun. What he guy's so gross? Like what and it I don't know, it just felt. It's like in these moments where I catch myself saying like our boss's name to myself while I watch the episodes as like a swear word, you know, I'm like skin Voldemort, Like it's just like that guy. You just had to get it in there, and I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I hate doing this because it's in the can. It's years it's years ago. No I know, no, no, no, But like I was thinking of a way that might be more interesting and like it's pointless. But if we could have had a moment where the director and Alex thought they were alone and he did something more subtle, like just touched her shoulder or said like, hey, Julian overheard, do you want to get a drink tonight? So when he thought they were alone, and then what that does to Julian in the audience, immediate was like, oh, is this gonna is this guy gonna cross the line? Like that would a really interesting way to explore something that, by the way, still happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something like that, instead of just this very out in the open. I don't know it could have been.
Speaker 4: That would have actually been so much more threatening as well, you know, as opposed to this guy is doing it in the wide open.
Speaker 1: Exactly, especially because you guys are in Lucas and Peyton's old house, Like if you had, you know, been doing something in Lucas's old bedroom and then turned to go into the hallway but heard them in the hallway and like leaned in and we see you on the other side of the doorframe, you know, especially because you and I are in that scene in there, and I'm like, well, they're painting my high school a fugly shade of brown. Like it could have gone from funny to not funny really quickly in a way that would have made us uncomfortable. We would have understood that this man knows Alex is supposed to be sober and is suggesting they go to a bar, like all of this is bad for her, And it could have been more interesting. Absolutely, absolutely, one of the things I loved about this episode was all of our storyline.
Speaker 3: I thought it was so good.
Speaker 1: I thought it was so sweet. I love the Victoria for whatever reason, is suddenly obsessed with the movie seven and can't stop talking about severed heads.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when she sees how sad I am about your stuff. The fact that the mom sort of acts like a child and gets the other boy to drop off the box to prove a point was so cute to me, and what it allowed for us, like you came in so hot, yelling and I was like, wait what. And the fact that by the end of the episode, I was so surprised by it. I didn't remember it, but I loved it. And by the end of the episode when we get to the beat where I'm like fishing and I'm like, so, I'm really I'm the best person for this job, and You're like yeah, and we're doing the little dance around the clothing racks. It was so precious to me. It made my day.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, the clothing rack dance. What a was that Paul's idea?
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I just remember I just watched it this morning. I was like, this could have been a bplus scene and took it to in a Yeah, just that kind of koy playing with each other, just a little movement, you know, you're obstructed. I'm instructed, then you see us, then you don't. It's just really well staged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gave it this really fun, playful energy, and I felt like it built really well off of this scene when you came back to close over Bros. Calmer and you said, look, you're the only one I trust. You don't even have to look at me if you don't want to in the back of the store, and I'm like, oh boy, this is going to be hard. And then we get to the thing and it's this little dance and it was such a great device and I just loved it. I was like, oh, we're cute.
Speaker 3: And then also after the episode was over, I went back and watched the opening again because I wanted to see all the names and who wrote and directed and everything. And I saw the scenes from the previous one again and realized, we just broke up the night before. Yes, it's okay, So the next day we're already starting to put it back together. That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: But can I tell you, as a as a brilliant fan, I was very grateful for that. Like, I've watched you guys fight and be on different pages for a few episodes, so this was a welcome reprieve to get to see you guys beginning this dance of finding each other again. And it was just it was cute as heck, you know, like you said, the chemistry is great and it worked very well.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Alexander Coin, first of all, hilarious that he can't just say Hi, I'm Alexander. He has to and it's just funny because Coin is such a funny last name, you know. Yes, But the shirt he is wearing when he comes to drop off Julian's stuff, I mean that is a baby gap, extra small. I laughed because that is like that has been one of my biggest CW experiences is like, what shirt does Rob wear a large? Put him in a small? Like I spent so many years in shirts that were way too small for me. So when I saw him carrying that box in in just the shirt, begging please get off me, I laughed so hard at the poor guy, Like, we get it, he's handsome, he's fit, Get him a bigger shirt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really funny.
Speaker 4: It's cutting off his circulation. You know.
Speaker 1: He's such a good sport and something I will say I really appreciate obviously at the time when we were shooting it was supposed to be this rivalry between you two, and watching it back, I realize how like he plays a lot of it so subtly, and it's I don't know, I really appreciate it, Mitch did. He did such a good job of showing up and just being a good guy where you you kind of don't know as an audience member, like does he like Brook or is he just really a good friend to her? Is he a good new addition to her work life? Does he feel chemistry? I don't see it as being as overt as it felt then, because you know, my job as an actor then was to be in between these two and to be like, no, I don't have feelings for this person, Julienne, I have feelings for you. But I think maybe because it was supposed to feel dramatic, it felt more heightened then. And I'm watching it and I'm like, good Anya, Mitch, Like, he does a really great job of not really revealing like does he or does any like this girl? And I really like the way he plays these scenes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think there is a there's a trap in this writing that a lesser actor would have fallen into, which is if you don't layer it with sincerity, it just it's overtly like it's so clear he's into you and he's hitting on you. And then that does brook a disservice because if you even start entertaining that, it's like, what all this dude is doing is just coming in hot all the time. But because he does this thing where he is just seeming to be wanting to be a good friend to you, it makes him more appealing. It makes it kind of muddies the water. So we don't really know what's going on, but he he did a great job with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Can I tell a quick story about Mitch please?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I don't know if you remember this, Sofia, but we had a late call one morning and there was I don't mean I always make everything about surfing.
Speaker 4: I knew it. I feel this was going to be a surfing story.
Speaker 3: I loved it was a hurricane brewing in the Atlantic. We had a late call and Mitch really wanted to go surfing, and I was like, hey man, tomorrow morning is going to be like the best day of the year, Like it was going to be that good. Yeah, he was so so down. He was such a nice positive guy. He's like, yeah, let's go. He was so excited and we got there and I'm not even kidding, it was the best I'd ever seen Wrightsville Beach. And he paddles out and it's big and hollow and powerful and dangerous, and he just getting destroyed so much so that there was there was points where I was like Mitch and like are you okay? And he'd paddle back out Mitchell all right, and he'd be like, yeah, man, that was awesome. And his sort of smile and his attitude just after getting destroyed was always a smile and happy and like he had the best attitude. And I think he, you know, that's what he brought to the set every day because it's not easy to come into as as we all know, it's not easy to come into a show that's up and running and you're playing like the guy that's in between a couple, like it's not and you know, he uh, he was so positive and he just brought the right energy.
Speaker 1: I hadn't thought about this until you just said that. Do you think that that helped you guys bond as friends? Because that's what you did in season six, Like Julian comes in and the whole audience is going ballistic because they think he's going to screw up Lucas and Peyton, right, and then Julian and Brooke end up together, and then Alexander comes in to screw up Julian and Brook Like. It's kind of an interesting domino effect, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I might have had a little tender spot for him, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yet here I came in brand new season seven and I didn't get asked to go surfing once, and I didn't know how, but I would have been I would have liked to have been invited. I feel like Miss Lauren when Skills didn't invite her to Los Angeles. It would have been nice to be invited.
Speaker 3: That invitation's on its way. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, next convention, we're going a day early and Austin's taking.
Speaker 3: All of us surfing deal.
Speaker 1: I will say, you are a good teacher.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Here's here's a fun BTS throwback in Obviously this World. I did not get in the hurricane waters because I'm not on a suicide mission, but Austin did. On like baby Wave days, really take the time to try to teach me to surf and there was like there was like a solid two weeks rob where I was really feeling it. And by the way, nothing will make a girl feel cooler than walking down Rightsville Beach with a surfboard. Like people were like whoa, and I was like, this is tight. I've never felt cool at anything.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 1: I was a theater kid, and not even a musical theater kid, just a theater kid. And I didn't have that experience at my tiny all girls school. So I was really having the like blue crush fantasy life of my dreams for these couple of weeks. And there was a day where I was really feeling confident and the waves were probably like three feet big instead of two feet big, like nothing to write home about, and I had a tumble and the board. I don't know if you remember this, the board came out of the water at me so fast I like tried to get out of the way. Thank god it didn't break my face because Warner Brothers probably would have sued me no more.
Speaker 3: One Tree Hill.
Speaker 1: It hit me in the leg so hard, like the upper left part of my thigh, that it left a dent. Yes, And it took five years for that dent to fully go away.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, really it went away like.
Speaker 1: Mostly after two. And then I just had this weird I can't explain it, it was it was. It was a dent in my leg. And for years I was like, if I ever, if I ever get overly confident that I can do some stupid shit, all I have to do is look at my leg and be like, remember that time I almost killed myself surfing with Austin And it wasn't It wasn't even like a good day. It was it was child's play. And I was like, not for me. I'm gonna go back to the theater and sit in the dark and run the light board. That's that's what I do.
Speaker 3: It sounds silly, but there's surfing just offers all kinds of lessons like these.
Speaker 1: It hits a lot. And then what did I do? I came home and I started a podcast, which is essentially running a lightboard indoors in the dark. Yeah, I was like, I know what I'm good for.
Speaker 3: Wait before I forget. I wanted to pop out to kind of a different topic. When I was watching your scene on the deck at the at your house and it was topsail right Topsail Beach or Clay's.
Speaker 4: House house right Topsail, Yeah, you're right, yeah, and you guys are.
Speaker 3: On the balcony and then behind you in the background are sand dunes and like open land. And I just started drooling this morning watching the episode, going, oh my god, I want that house. I want to live in Clay's house. I want to be on that beach. There's like space. You don't have a house right next to you. I was just just drool over and your car of course too, but I just was overwhelmed and because we were just there in Wilmington and just sort of I'm so in love with the beauty of that place and so special ocean and anyway, your house, Clay's house, just got me all excited again.
Speaker 4: Anyway, the house was beautiful. The only problem with that house was it was forty five minutes away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so was mine? Really the yeah, the Brooks house you know that she originally like buys and her and Peyton live in. There were all these scenes in that I guess it was season five where Hillary and I would sit up on the deck which was like three stories up overlooking the marina. And we did that in Carolina Beach.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, I worked there. I remember that.
Speaker 1: Place, and that's why eventually we just stopped going outside at Brook and Julian's because it took so long to get there.
Speaker 3: I remember the very last scene I think we did there was you and me on that bench.
Speaker 1: On the dock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and forgetting the message. It's like, yeah, we won't be coming back here anymore. It's it's fun.
Speaker 4: At one point, Brooke calls Hailey Jilly.
Speaker 1: Jayley Jaylee because Haley, and that's why she makes the joke like I hate my name because I say to her, You've been arrested more than anyone I know, Jailee, and she's like, got I hate my name because we got arrested in high school for stealing back all my original clothes over Bros. Designs that were taken by a store with no credit. We Hailey got arrested. I don't remember. I think she says in the episode, it's like, it'll be my fourth time going to jail, fifth fourth, and it's very very good.
Speaker 3: It was really cool to see Gregory Harrison, who plays Julian's father. We actually became great friends through the show, and we ended up on vacation together, Like I love that man and anyway, I hadn't seen him in a long time, so it was really great to see him on my screen and kind of I will say one of the coolest things that happened to me on the show was having them right parents for Julian and having them come through was that was a lot of fun and it gives a character so much more dimension. And I anyway, I was really lucky to have Sharon Lawrence and Gregor Harrison. Is my TV moment.
Speaker 4: Sharon was your mom. Yeah, oh, I love me some. Sharon Lawrence to oh get ready, she played my mom in a couple movies she did.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's the best. She's so great. And Gregory Harrison, I got to work with a different series and we became Palace. He's great. Also he's a surfer, so of course you guys get long. But he's a lovely guy.
Speaker 1: Didn't you guys go to Catalina or something?
Speaker 3: No, we went to Indonesia. We went on a surf trip to Indonesia.
Speaker 1: Oh, the big surf trip you went on? Okay, but yeah, I don't know why. I remember there were talks about you guys like going to do a Catalina trip, but maybe that'll maybe that'll come soon.
Speaker 3: He talked about Catalina a lot. He might have had a place there something, but it never happened. But I will say this. Greg did a very famous movie called north Shore that was an eighties yeah surf movie, And when we were surfing in Indonesia, I shit you not, people paddled up to him and went, Chandlor, No, he gets recognized in the water in Indonesia.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so cool.
Speaker 3: It was really cool. Some guys we brought a boat and some guys paddled over with beers to our boat and was like, Chandler, can we have a beer? Bro?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. I love that you guys had Gregory and Sharon Lawrence overlap Hillary and I had Markey Post overlap.
Speaker 4: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marky played Hillary's mom and she played my mom on PD.
Speaker 3: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 1: So it's like, I don't know, we just had these really special years with some of these folks and really cool.
Speaker 4: Marky Post is a legend.
Speaker 1: Oh, Marky was just the most amazing woman.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: You guys all got asked obviously, I got all the video updates. You got asked about like where things stand with this potential revisit, and I mean Rob and I talked about this a few weeks ago, and obviously you know, Austin because we talked about it last weekend. But it's like it's a bummer when something leaks and you don't actually have anything to say but thinking about it and you know, having to kind of answer questions without answering them. Like, it's so cool to me that we're sort of in the position now where we might get to play the young parents, And I don't know, I'm like, it's such a crazy thing that part of what excites me the most about if we get to do this is like, what if we get to bring all our parents back too, like our on screen parents. Could you imagine like a like a generational moment. I would sob I think I would actually cry the whole time. It would be very much like our final episode where I just walked around the stages in tears for two street weeks.
Speaker 3: There's so many people came through, It's a nine year show, so many actors came through. There's so many characters that are in the sandbox to play with. I can't even imagine, like how fun and difficult that could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just so sweet, I don't know. Yeah, and all of the families that have been built out of this too, Like I had one of those moments. Obviously. It's so fun having the David character, as extreme as the storylines are, because Scott Holroyd is just the nicest person in the world. But having Miss Lauren and David in this episode, I was like, oh my god, Like our friends when they first started working on this show together didn't even have kids yet, you know, and I think about their family now. It's just a trick to me. It's so special, so cool.
Speaker 4: So two things around, Well, before we get to that Miss Lauren scene with Mouth is how I loved this scene. Mouth is now back at their apartment and there's this great exchange when Millie's getting ready to leave for work and she says she asks him like, how long are you staying? And he says a day or two and she stops and says, but you'll be here when I get home and he says yeah, and she says, that helps.
Speaker 1: That helps. I started crying.
Speaker 4: It was so sweet, and again, especially after this ridiculous storyline of her after school special, like it was just so nice to be getting her Mouth and Milly back in this like sweet scene of connection. But then I will say I had a really funny moment when Miss Lauren shows up and Mouth is cleaning up this you know, the apartment looks like a Fiona Apple music video. It's an absolute disaster. And she shows up and she's like, well, all help, and they start playing this like cute game of like recreating a crime scene. And because I remember much of the show was like hold on a second, yeah, our Mouth and Miss Lauren about to make some bad descis together, I thought so too.
Speaker 1: I had that moment too where I was like, what's happening, what's happening? And then I went no, No, they're both just adorable. They're just adorable and they miss their people. But I had a moment of panic because the episode is so extreme and outlandish and has taken like what might be the craziest things that have ever happened to anyone and ratcheted them up from ten to one hundred. I was like, no, no, no, oh. I had one of those. It was like a no, no, no, getting closer to the TV, and then an oh, oh oh. Resting back into my couch, I.
Speaker 3: Find stuff like that's so interesting because then I go, Okay, was it in the lines or was it in the performance? And yeah, something that happened just because the two actors had a cute moment or was it actually in the writing.
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 3: Did the writers want that to happen or did that just happen accidentally?
Speaker 1: Well, and there's a thing too, right where like everyone has chemistry. Chemistry doesn't have to be sexual, it doesn't have to be romantic. But when you really get along with someone, when you share a sense of humor, like you have chemistry with your friends, like me and Raw exactly you and Rob have. I mean, honestly, sometimes I feel like I should leave the room. It's electric, it's really hot. Sometimes I don't know. As a viewer, I was watching them and I was like, their chemistry is so good, but it's so sweet. But it's also chemistry. What's happening. And that's a fun place to be seven years in to realize you don't know something with characters that at this point almost feel like your family. I really liked that.
Speaker 4: And tonally the episode is so unhinged that it is entirely within the realm of possibility that this might be going down, because by the time we get to this bit, oh if we've already seen some outrageous stuff happen and it's it's perfect. It's like you were saying, So if it's in no way is it heavy handed, it's kind of all circumstantial, right, Yeah, mouth has been through it with Milk. It's been nothing but like pain and heartache and worry. Miss Lauren is heartbroken. And now here they are back in this apartment and they're laughing together and they're connecting. So they didn't have to do much to create that question of oh, farts.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is going to be like a really extreme thing I'm relating it to. But again, I think it's why it felt possible. You know, there's that very common thing that happens, you know, knock on wood, God forbid, someone dies young and then like you know, the widowed man, the widower and the wife who's died, her best friend fall in love like people often bond after loss, and granted skills hasn't died. But weirdly, you know, our bosses did that strange thing where like they just disappeared a character for a while, so they were like, Julian got him a job in la but nobody's heard from him. We don't know how often they're talking, you know, Lauren's talking about him like he's just evaporated and they both miss him. And I think that's part of why you're like, wait, are they friends that are having the same sad experience or are they gonna like bond in a way they shouldn't out of their sadness. Yeah, And it left me questioning. But the questioning was kind of cool because it reminds you, I guess, that you never really know. And it was an interesting thing to have Mouth trying to process with Milly and deciding to stay and show up. And then on the other end, you know, since we've been the best of friends on the show for so long, you have Brooke who's like pushing away her feelings about Milly and who just doesn't want to deal and like can't have another person hurt her. And then you've got Victoria being like she believed in you and I didn't. I loved that they gave that to Daphne to be this sort of rational person who really stood up for Milly and who at the same time is so Victoria because she's like I don't necessarily like her or whatever she says, but she was a very good friend to you. It was so snarky and yet so sweet at the same time. And I just thought the whole world they built around Millicent felt worthy of her, like we've missed her so much. To your point, Rob, that it's nice to see everybody trying to figure it out.
Speaker 4: And speaking of Victoria, Daphne makes this incredible choice at the top of one of these scenes where I think it's in close over bros And maybe Brooke is showing up, either Brooke or Milly, where there's no dialogue, but she's making the choice to be looking at her reflection and she's pulling back her skin as if to see what a facelift would look like on her. Yeah. Yeah, and that killed me because you know, that's not in the script. That's just an actor who's good knowing like, Okay, here's how I can fill up some time. This is what this character doing. But it it got such a for me, It got such a good laugh that I don't think was on the page.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, it was great and also vulnerable, shows that a little vulnerability and really great.
Speaker 4: Which tracks with what we're seeing her do lately, you know.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I loved about it too is Daphne is so she's so in her body. She's a meditator, she's like a brilliant mind. She's you know, incredibly healthy, like she takes beautiful care of herself and also has never been a woman who messes with her face, and that she was so willing to be like, well, since my face actually moves, I can pull it around and do something with it, like absolute freedom in herself. And you don't see that a lot. And I remember at the time her being like, oh, come on, it's hilarious, And now it's like even cooler to me than it was then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Can I say something about before we move on from that? Though, Like the Millie Brooke in Victoria dynamic I really love and I just caught a note and I get why I didn't, because it has to be a little hard one. But Victoria is really encouraging Brooke to stand up for Melicent and to be her friend and to show up for her. And the only way Brooke really knows how in her own sadness. When she sees that Milly's also so sad, is to say, hey, will you help me with this? And they start working on that jacket together. You know, they're each taking a lapel and doing the work, and they have this nice moment of like, Okay, this is a first step. But sweet Lisa is so I mean, she's just so vulnerable and obviously crushed, and it kills me that when she's like, through her tears, says thanks as she's pinning, I don't just hug her, And I wrote it down, I was like, I wish I had hugged her. I know it required baby steps, but for me, it like it hurts me that I didn't get to hug her in that moment. And I'm sure it was Paul being a smart director and saying no, no, it's too much, too soon. But oh, she's just so vulnerable in it.
Speaker 3: I always find that so interesting, the sort of intersection or the the push and pull of the actor's instinct and then also not being right for a story. Yes, that happens to me all the time, where I have an instinct and it's not right for the movie or the show. It's like no, no, no, that happened. That's gonna be later.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like you gotta wait and you're like, no, my heart, it hurts.
Speaker 4: It's like the the camping trip when Nathan is just an absolute tool to Julian the entire time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's that kind of thing where I think the rational James Pricey like, hey, I feel like I'm coming off a little bit dickish.
Speaker 1: And they're like, that's the point.
Speaker 4: But it's exactly. It's like, yeah, but we got to get to the end where there's this nice turn. You know. So what did you think of the whole Kylie swimming in Clay's pool?
Speaker 3: What did that ever happened before? Or was that the only time that happened.
Speaker 1: It's happened before, but not since Quinn, right, And so the fact that Kylie just comes back out of nowhere, it didn't feel super motivated.
Speaker 3: And also we were out of the scene before they could say anything or do anything. It was just scene over and it's like, what happened? What was the conversation after this happened?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Well, the whole thing is like she's the booty call. We've established that, you know that, Like it's just it was just the fling when Clay was still trying to numb out, you know. And so to me though, to have her just show up for a swim and be leaving, to me, it's like she's not even there to hook up. She just needed a pool to swim in. It's so it's so strange.
Speaker 1: It's very strange. And again it feels like they had an idea that they didn't take across the finish line, because the whole reason it happens is so that by the time you guys get home from this show of a dinner, Clay can say I changed the locks for you, and now you're the only woman with a key to my house. And then my reaction wasn't oh, how sweet. I was like, Kylie had keys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what I was like, wait.
Speaker 1: Clay's just been giving keys to random chicks, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 1: It feels like they had the kernel of an idea and then they sent the script out and forgot to finish those scenes.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and then you know, and we'll see in the next episode. There's poor Sasha. She was a good sport, you know, but her unofficial uniform in this show was just a bikini. But yeah, I just thought it was so odd that it's like she wasn't even like swimming sexy or like took her top off y at Clay's attention. She just didn't even knock. She was like, I'm just going to show up and swim in his pool.
Speaker 1: She was like doing laps to get her cardio.
Speaker 4: In exactly what go to the why what are you doing?
Speaker 1: It's so weird. Yeah, okay, I think I think this episode is like an extreme seesaw. It's very up and down, but all around pretty fun. Oh yeah, what do you guys think? What are your honorable mentions for this?
Speaker 4: I will say there was there was a line from this episode that I remembered to this day, which is when Nathan is shooting his mocap for the video game and he walks over and I say, you look good covered in balls.
Speaker 1: That was uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: And then he says, now I know how Taylor feels. Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 3: The mine's kind of weird. The x X song, Yes, that song is so good and so sexy, and I was like, oh my god, that must have been a fortune because that's what I'm dealing with. And I just thought it was so cool that we have that song.
Speaker 1: The episode was Yeah, stoked, it's so good. I wrote that down too. I was like that we had two songs from the XX and we had Teagan and Sarah. I was like, God, we were in such good flow. I actually I want to give an honorable mention because it was the perfect button on the whole episode. The scene where Nathan and Haley are getting in bed and he just starts to laugh and she goes what and through laughter he goes, your family's crazy. It was just a perfect little button on the episode because in a way, Nathan got to be the audience being like, what the was that? And I thought it was a very very great little device of comedy. So hats off to Mike and David for that.
Speaker 3: A little wink like, hey, we know this episode was a bit unhinged exactly.
Speaker 1: They were like, it was unhinged, we know, we're in on the joke real quick.
Speaker 4: To last things, one, did you notice that their bed is smack in the middle of their room?
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the floating bed in a house that has no other modern touches is very odd. It stood out to me as well.
Speaker 3: Part of me thinks loves it and part of me hates it. I was wondering why they did that, and then I started thinking like a DP and going, oh, well, there's more depth and you don't have to be facing shooting at a wall all the time. Yeah, maybe it looks good on camera.
Speaker 1: But you know what, it made me think of Austin, like those visits to see all of Donald Judd's spaces that we've done, and like, I was like, it's a really weird choice in this very kind of like Mediterranean villa home to do like the Donald Judd floating bed in the middle of an empty room that isn't empty. I was like, I don't know, but I do agree. I think it was probably a DP thing. And it made me giggle. I like that we all noticed that and we're like, wait, what's going on.
Speaker 3: It's odd, but it's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: It's it's so odd. And also there's a scene at the very start of it when Taylor sauntras out of the room I think it's like that scene where she's wearing like the juicy shorts or whatever, and Hayley turns to Nathan goes, are you going to say something? And James takes a beat and just goes, I love you and the husband and you went accurate.
Speaker 3: Accurate yep.
Speaker 1: Also, he has such good dad jokes in this episode because when him and David have the talk and they get to the end and he goes, if Haley asks, I yelled at you and you're sorry, and then he walks away, that was great, accurate. It's all so good.
Speaker 3: Mind's a bit of a disc but it's it's not that I actually loved it. The video game animation is pretty bad, yeah, but I've kind of like loved it.
Speaker 1: It was kind of good.
Speaker 3: Schedule is so fast, you don't have the time and the money, but it was.
Speaker 1: Kind of well and can you imagine now that thing would have been rendered in five minutes and looked incredible.
Speaker 4: Totally, And it's just it's so funny again like Logic Police, But if you are recording mocap for a video game at noon, you will not have a prototype of the game available at four pm. Yeah, it's exactly. It's like it'll be available eight months.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy.
Speaker 3: I did you even think of that? Rob. That's really funny.
Speaker 1: The game will be out next year. But here's a DVD of it for you today, kid, So weird.
Speaker 4: But that scene also lent itself to Nathan being able to tell Chuck to suck it, which was funny. Yeah, and that's like a grown man burning an eight year.
Speaker 1: Old, you know, yeah, the absolute payoff. Okay, guys, we have a listener question, and this is actually really sweet since we just have had these two conventions back to back. Shay wants to know what is your most memorable fan interaction that you have had at a One Tree Hill convention.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, there's so many because as you guys know, you know, people have had crazy tragedies happen to them, and they come to you and they say, like, this show saved my life.
Speaker 3: You know, all kinds of amazing things come from this, so it's hard to pinpoint one. But there was this girl named Matilda who's from France and I saw her seven years ago when I was dead at Comic Con in Paris, and you know, she's like, she's tweeted me and hit me up on Instagram and stuff, and she keeps just send me that photo of us together at the convention. And I saw her last weekend in Paris. Oh, you know, it was just moving and so cool just to see her again. And she came at the last thing. I was signing something and she comes and she goes, Austin, I wanted to say goodbye. I don't know if I'll ever see you again, and she it was just crumbled and like I crumbled, and I was just like, this is so beautiful and sad, like she's just has the most kindest, most beautiful and love that girl of death.
Speaker 4: How about you? So oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, it's funny. It's like there's there's so many memorable moments like running through my brain. The first thing I thought about was a couple of years ago at a convention in Wilmington, Hillary and I got to help two gals who love the show get engaged and like to be part of someone's proposal is so cool and so special. And then to your point, Austin, like sometimes it's the best moment, and sometimes it's that you were a part of like real hardship and you find out that this thing that you made helped this wonderful little girl Hayley that similarly, I feel like I've known her for almost fifteen years now because of the show and social and all the things like grew up being super sick. Her mom used to cut out all of our little characters and glue them onto her eyegs, like in scenes from the show when she was in the hospital for treatments. I've watched her go through all of these things for years. Cut to after college she moved to LA she wound up working for one of my friends, Like applied for a job because she'd followed a friend's company because I talked about it on Instagram, And like, I get a call from my friend Elizabeth, who's like, this kid is amazing and said she like grew up in the win Tree Hill world. Like I've watched her get better and it's so special, and like I don't know all of these all of these incredible things. You know, you realize that we built a world that ran the gamut of you know, tragedy to joy, and we've been in people's lives while they've run the real life gamut of those things, and we did too behind the scenes, you know, our on our set for as many years as we were there. And there's just something really special about this particular little world because we all feel like the same place makes us feel at home. And I really cherished that.
Speaker 4: That's wild.
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 4: I would say. In fact, it was at Paris this last week and I had several fans come up and show me a picture of us together from seven years ago. One was eleven years ago, and I was kind of struck by a similar thing to what you were saying. Where it was. It just blew my mind that this show has that kind of staying power and to be able to like look at the picture and then look at the person ahead of me and being like, wow, we've we've had ten years of life since then, and yet like the thing that hasn't changed is this show, you know, and it's still going on and it's just such a cool opportunity to get to do. But yeah, the fact that you know, we've we've been meeting some of these people for you know, more than a decade is crazy to me. And it's still going strong. Yeah, there's nothing like it. So cool, powerful. Well, buddy, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me guys. It's so fun to see you and catch up always.
Speaker 1: What a fun day. And next week, you guys, the next episode, Season seven, episode fifteen is Don't You Forget About Me? It's our John Hughes week.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm so pumped, so good fun costumes.
Speaker 1: I'll go ahead while we have you, Austin an honorable mention your ducky costume. It was really really pro dude.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 3: Very stoked on that because I love eighties everything and John here. That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 4: You were it well, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: Thanks friends, See you next week. Hey, thanks for listening. Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's otch.
Speaker 2: Or email set Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: See you next time.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama Girl, all about them.
Speaker 2: High school queens.
Speaker 1: We'll take you for a ride. And our comic girl cheering for the right teams. Drama Queens use my girl, rough girl fashion with your tough girl.
Speaker 2: You could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Drama Queens, Drama Queens