Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens felts the Washington Commanders twenty nine to twenty eight on Monday Night Football. The loss brought an end to the Ravens twenty four game winning streak that they had throughout the preseason, and after the game, head coach John Harball talked about the game and the end of that streak.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be like the hov streat that game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just I'm excited thing about something like that. And I just told our guys, you know you're proud of it. Of course, you know you appreciate it. But the thing that you're proud of is all those games are mostly just like that, you know, preseason games that people want to write about. Some of you in here want to write about and say they don't mean anything because you never played the game. You never were out there in a preseason game, you never were fighting for a spot on the team. And yet you have the audacity to say that the effort that somebody puts into that to win and fight and win a game like that is meaningless.
Speaker 4: Tell me that was meaningless out there. What you just saw. If you like football, is that a meaningless football game.
Speaker 3: You know, I can't respect anybody that says that because of the effort these guys put into it.
Speaker 4: That's what's such. You're proud of me.
Speaker 3: That's that's why I'm so proud of these guys for the way they fought. It doesn't matter win or loss, it matters. It matters the way they the way they went about their business tonight, and I'm proud of them for that always will be.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 5: Got to see the flowers getting the end zone early and listen, like to beg to see some of them expose them you're explosm as you're saying, as practice translated to game.
Speaker 4: It was great to see it.
Speaker 3: I mean, just to see that and he the way he played and uh uh just you know, the offense and the uh you know, just creating plays like that, you know, great, and we did in the run game as well. And then how about a guy like Vocal like you know, going out there and catching those passes and scoring to touchdown. Charlie Kohlar stepping up and making the catches. Both quarterbacks played outstanding.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Just really happy with all of.
Speaker 6: That, John, just to kind of go up your answer and Champs there I mean, you think about all the players who involved over the last.
Speaker 7: Seven years in this organization and it's a hoow fighting away to the win. What does that beaching be good this organization and somehow fighting commonuity even though the rough appreciation old record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, I just think it's something that it's just it's one of these things you look at and you just you go, wow, how did that happen? You know, how did something like that take place? It's pretty it's pretty remarkable. It's you know, what are the odds? You know, and to say to say, there's no one reason it happens, but it says a lot about a lot of people, a lot of people's effort, a lot a lot of good practice, a lot of good meeting time, a lot of young players working hard to be as good as they can be, a lot of coaches developing those players, scouts fighting those players. All those things kind of come into play. But in the end, it's about It's about a bunch. It's about football and the and the and the men and women now who play who play the game, And it shows you what this what makes this game so great, why it does matter so much?
Speaker 4: Because it takes those kind of efforts that that's what you have to do. It's it's it's a courageous game.
Speaker 3: It's it's a game for courageous people, and it's a game for people that willing to go out there and throw themselves around in really tough, awkward situations physicality.
Speaker 4: You know, it takes.
Speaker 3: It takes that kind of grit to play this game and to fight like that. And that's I think most people that love football love it for that reason right there. They respect what it takes to play the game. So that's what I feel. That's how I feel about our players, feel about every player in the national football but I especially feel that way about the Ravens and then the and the and the men who played for the Ravens Now and the men who played for the Ravens all those other years. I'm really very proud of that part of it.
Speaker 6: Perfectively, it seemed like commanders were very motivated to the end of the streak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to get into all that. I mean, you hear people say what they say. Guys say what they say, and obviously it was meaningful to them. I saw them celebrating over there and put more power to them and gratulations. They want to They want a hard fought football game, you know, and they deserved it in the end to to celebrate, so they should celebrate.
Speaker 2: The last whole chat, John, you have a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not so not too. You had no serious injuries in the game, so we're happy with that.
Speaker 1: That was head coach John Harbaugh. We also heard from the quarterback Josh Johnson, who had a strong performance as he makes the case to be the Ravens number two quarterback.
Speaker 2: A few other preseason game year.
Speaker 8: Nah, just like coach said, like, uh, for us players, we know, we know what this means like to get the opportunity to go out there and play in the NFL game. And then you know, especially for the young guys, you know this is once you know, living out your dream. I was once in the situations before, so you know, the atmosphere was great. Guys was you know, doing a little like really getting it out of the mud. Honestly, saw guys playing kickoff, turning right back around, playing defense.
Speaker 9: You know, we were down and run running back at one point in time.
Speaker 8: So you know, like coach shit, I mean, it's just the grind of you know, guys are pursuing the opportunity, and you know, for me, I was just you know, happy to be able to go out there and share the field with those guys and then you know, see them.
Speaker 9: Uh all of us try to collectively pull out a win. But unfortunately we didn't do that.
Speaker 2: John, you were there when the Street started.
Speaker 3: In fact, the club two guys like d Does it mean anything for it for the end, doesn't the you know, is there any emotion from the Street game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we don't like to lose. I mean, no, no player wants to be on the losing side of a football game. It's hard to win in this league. And uh so you know, as a team, we don't like to lose. But you know, uh it's it's a part of the process.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: They they did what they had to do at the end of the game. But we wasn't going out there with like talking about the Street. We just went out there to play great football, you know, and they they they just came out on the winning side.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 6: Should seemed like the I mean, Conn talked about how the quarterbacks play well and also seem like your office, the land gave you guys are miss clean Hawkers to work with.
Speaker 8: Overall, how would you assess how they're how they're doing if you were Caroline is doing awesome.
Speaker 2: Man. They come out there every day and work.
Speaker 8: They tell off guys, rotating guys, playing different positions, versatile group.
Speaker 2: Uh, we run the ball really well. You know. I'm just I just have to be playing quarterback behind those guys.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 8: I see it every day in practice, and it translates to the game and it just gives you confidence to go out there and you know and play, you know, play a game when you behind those guys.
Speaker 4: Jeff, when Zay was on that first drive, you know, obviously the.
Speaker 10: Touchdown players, it's those those two catches he made.
Speaker 2: What kind of shadow life was that to the offense?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 8: I mean, Jay is different, man. So just to see him, you know, do what y'all see every day. You know, we able to get the ball in his hands early. Uh, He's gonna be a very exciting player. And obviously whenever his moves are wilds. It's just like that every day. So it automatically injects life into the whole team. Just to see him go out there and just untleast your special talent. I'm excited for the young fella.
Speaker 11: I is there something different about this organization that allowed this streak to happen that the way it did relative to how other players approach these games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we j we just grind for it, man.
Speaker 8: Like uh, like I was joking the other day that you know, I's aid by that coach Harbwald training camp, you know at my age, and uh, but you know, we work.
Speaker 2: We we work every day. Every day we work.
Speaker 9: And I think that's why the from the top to the roster to the bottom of the roster, you see guys go.
Speaker 2: Out there and play good football.
Speaker 8: And h you know, that's a credit to this organization and credit to the coaching staff, you know, credit to the players because we we show up every day with the where the work, where the work mentality, and uh, you know it it shows up on the field when we go out there and play good football.
Speaker 12: Just what do you what have you seen from kadof malls to the.
Speaker 2: Borders of this great family.
Speaker 8: Just a consistent player can do everything, play anywhere coaches need him to do, whatever the coaches need.
Speaker 2: She continue to show up and make plays. Uh.
Speaker 9: Last time I was here in twenty one, I got to play with him a little bit and he was the same.
Speaker 8: Guy, and he just keeps evolving. So you know, sky's a limit for tie U. We all trust him and we all believe that he can make continue to make plays. That's why he can continue to get opportunities.
Speaker 1: In addition to Josh Johnston, we also heard from safety and defensive back or Darius Washington. He had a strong show as the Ravens are shorthanded in the secondary right now, but Ardarius had a really nice game and he talked about that afterwards.
Speaker 6: Her Darius, you came back in that game in that last right, Was that just where you could run out of their corners at that.
Speaker 13: Point, Yes, sir, Uh, someone had got hurt and so I had to come in take a place.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 5: Was that just get the win knocked out of you?
Speaker 13: Yeah? I just got the wind knocked out of I mean nothing major.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think you lived in balance, you know, since you get up changed if you're talking about how you think you're doing, because you obviously you made a lot of players, both in practice and doing the games.
Speaker 13: I mean, the main thing is just staying consistent, you know what I'm saying, doing it, doing the right things and stuff like that. Being in the right situation, white places and everything like that, but really just staying consistent for me, understanding the car and everything and what we're doing around And that's the main thing for me.
Speaker 5: Darius, seen you moved all around outside inside safety. Has it been to kind of where a bunch of different hats on the details.
Speaker 13: I mean, man, I mean it's just that so that I can learn, I can do it all.
Speaker 10: You feel me?
Speaker 13: So that's the main thing that it showed to me. Shit, I mean, I I know you were hurting at d n cow you was like he was a little lady.
Speaker 2: I mean, how tough was it? That's that defensive back group out there towards the end.
Speaker 13: I mean it was tough, you know what I'm saying. We was out there grinding, you know what I'm saying. So we tryna win. We tryna go out there and compete, you know what I'm saying. So we didn't really think about all we hurt right now, but we try to dig deep in finish the game.
Speaker 2: Alright.
Speaker 4: Oh, is it as a player when you.
Speaker 5: Hear people say that these games was going back? We heard what ours that to say?
Speaker 13: Well, how does it fell as a player? That is I mean means a lot. You know what I'm saying. We going to get a different opponent, so we wanna win, you know what I mean. Then some guys like me and other guys on the team, we fight for spots, so it means everything to us. Whereas what we talk about the atmosphere was fine.
Speaker 2: A few minutes we fel I mean, it was amazing. Man.
Speaker 13: L wish we woulda came out with uh win, but it was a good feeling.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 13: You always wanna close it as a defense, I wanna close it out. So it's amazing feelings for sure.
Speaker 11: Did the joint practices with the commanders kind of building anything else, were as you say.
Speaker 13: Their competition's way, Ah, I don't think so.
Speaker 11: The comments from the commander's lineman called him the street stupid and if you guys a lot coward.
Speaker 2: Did you give in comment on that?
Speaker 13: I mean, no, said they gonna feel how they're gonna feel, you know what I mean. So, hey, they came out there, they want tonight and hey, I took my hats off to him.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 11: It's uh you know, take a place from day all training camp to see someone another rookie like Travis Bofalo come out and make a couple of nice plays two touchdowns. What does it just say about, you know, what you can kind of do as a first year in this offense. I haven't been against them every day in training camp.
Speaker 13: I mean it shows that he's out there being grinding, he's been working. You know what I'm saying. I actually had forgot and so he reminded me when he put up that too. You know what I'm saying, like letting everybody know that he got too. So he he's been grinding. He's been working hard for sure.
Speaker 1: And one of the stars of the show was undrafted rookie tight end Travis Bokla. He had a pair of touchdowns in this victory. He talked about that afterwards.
Speaker 14: You know, I give a lot of credit to my teammates. You know, they they've really helped me, you know, learn plays and you know, executing practice. And I've got great guys in the tight end room that I can learn from and just continue to do that. And you know, like I said, it's awesome, but still a long way to go.
Speaker 10: Just a tight end group ousers really deep. Have you kind of approached coming into a group that's this deep and you're kind of holding your own.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's you know, there's a lot of experienced guys in the room, a lot of great guys to learn from, you know, with Mark and Charlie and Jay and Pat and Ben, you know, all those guys that they've helped out a lot. And you know, I've kind of embraced coming in and just learning from the experienced guys. You know, I'm an older rookie. I'm twenty five, so it's that's different, but you know those guys have helped out a lot, and just just taking it day by day and continue and learn from mistakes and just keep getting better.
Speaker 10: You had a good college career, but you weren't drafted. Was that disappointing? And did that kind of give you kind of a chip coming in?
Speaker 14: You know, it didn't really bother me. You know, I wanted to be drafted, of course, but you know, just an opportunity is all I could ask for. So I feel like, you know, I'm taking advantage of it. Just kind of keep working every day and keep learning, and you know the guys in tid end room is really helping with that.
Speaker 12: Did you dream of catching passes like this, It'll be Monday.
Speaker 14: Night game last year kind of yeah, you know it, it's kind of funny. I I watched a lot of football and last year, you know, I I kind of pictured myself and in a game, I knew there was gonna be an opportunity and you know, just I, it was awesome, but just just a lot, a lot to learn from and continue to grow.
Speaker 10: You think a lot of friends and family gonna be hitting you up tonight that.
Speaker 14: I'm I'm sure you know, I'm I'm tired, ready to get on the bus and go home and go to bed. But yeah, just I, it was awesome, but you know, just just gotta keep getting better and you know, keep grinding every day.
Speaker 7: Have you proved anything like to yourself throughout camping?
Speaker 2: I mean tonight.
Speaker 14: Especially, Yeah, you know I I I think so. I I never really have had doubt in myself or anything. I'm I wouldn't say I'm a cocky guy, but I'm confident in myself and my ability. But you know, it's been awesome to be surrounded by guys who have really helped. You know, being being a first year guy, you know, you make working mistakes and stuff like that and just having Mark and all those other guys continue to help me and grind every day with those guys and that they've really helped out a lot.
Speaker 13: So I know you're in the tight end, But what do you think about says.
Speaker 14: Really Yeah, uh, you know, Isay is a freak. I always joke around with him. You know, I wish I had his speed, you know, I I trade my size for his speed. But you know, he he he's a great dude. You know, right after that first touchdown, I went over to him. I was like, I want to be like you, so that's what I'm trying to do. But yeah, great great athlete. You know, I'm happy he's on our team. And he plays really well and really hard.
Speaker 13: I mean, I mean just like the two v out tonight, you were kind of both like the stars of the game, and you guys.
Speaker 10: Are so different.
Speaker 9: You just speaks to that terms, I mean.
Speaker 14: Speed, Yeah, you know, you know, I he's a great player. He runs his route, really routes really well. It's really fast and great great human being too, So you know it, you can say we're the stars, but ultimately comes out of our teammates, you know, Abe, you know he came up to me after the game. He's like, dude, you just had a great game, and I said, I can't do it without you. So it's it's it's a team game. And give give a lot of credit to my teammates and everything.
Speaker 1: So that was undrafted rookie tight end Travis and Ocalat who had a pair of touchdowns in the game. So and I else had a touchdown was wide receiver Tylan Wallace. He's had touchdowns and back to back games and he talked about that as well.
Speaker 10: Second test down two games. Tell me what happened on that play?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 15: Yeah, you know it's out out to monk, you know again, you know, setting up me, setting me up again in the red zone. You know, he called the play and I knew, you know what I had to do, you know, like I said, uh, he put it right, Could you put it r where it's supposed to be?
Speaker 2: Got to make a play.
Speaker 15: So I know we needed that touchdown. So shout out to everybody for believing to me and making that play.
Speaker 10: Before that, you drew a PI can talk about that flack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 15: So obviously he was trying to take another shot down the field, you know, like I said, when you hear those opportunities, you got to lock in, especially at the receiver position. You know, with Monk being oc, he loves throwing the ball down the field, so you gotta take advantage of those opportunities. So seeing the balls, obviously trying to make a play on it and got.
Speaker 2: The PI on it.
Speaker 10: No secret, there's a lot of competition for that last you know, wide receiver sponse. You're making a lot of plays and stuffing out. What do you think is making a difference for you this year because it seems like, you know, you really rising to DC.
Speaker 15: Yeah, definitely, you know, I think just me just trying to actually just locking in and you know, going through the past two years and realizing how the game is played and how it needs to be played. I feel like I'm really you know, trying to lock into paying attention to how it's being played and how fast you need to play, and just you know, obviously this is a big year for me. So I really took that the heart this offseason, and I feel like I prepared really well and I just coming in and I knew I had to make plays, So I'm just trying to do what I can do.
Speaker 4: You feel like you've put yours for the summer. I mean obviously a lot of competition of that position set.
Speaker 15: Yeah, definitely, Like I said, I mean, uh, I feel like I can always get better, you know, no matter what it is. But I definitely knew going into this off season this year, I need to have a great year and uh just go out there and do what I know I'm capable of. So I'm trying to do the best I can with that.
Speaker 4: What is the performance like you know tonight last weekend or.
Speaker 2: Oh b y.
Speaker 15: Obviously it was a lot of confidence, you know, you know, just being out there and uh, you know the career I had in college and being able to trans now finally being up. But I feel like I'm starting to translate that over into the NFL now, so.
Speaker 2: You know it.
Speaker 15: It it helps a lot, you know, going out there making these plays and just doing what I n I know I'm able to do.
Speaker 2: What p What a Justine did you make.
Speaker 9: Preparing for the season to get you, like you said, ready to showcase.
Speaker 2: More of what you need to show up? Yeah?
Speaker 15: Boy, Uh, I think I really attacked the off season uh differently than uh than what I'm used to doing. I feel like I went I got a new trainer, I really took it a lot more seriously and new going into it, just the year I needed to have and what I knew I could do. So I think that was the biggest thing for me. And just always, you know, just taking advantage of the opportunities when they're given to me.
Speaker 11: A lot of players talk about you just want to get the opportunity so you can make the most.
Speaker 10: You feel you've made the most of them.
Speaker 15: Yeah, definitely mean I feel like I've I've taken advantage of the few opportunities that I've that I've gotten so far. Obviously, I think there were more that I could have you know, capitalized on. But you know, I'm trying to do the best what I can with the opportunities that are given to me. Like I was saying, so, I feel like I'm trying to do the best I can.
Speaker 11: I would alief not having an answer question.
Speaker 15: Yeah, no, for sure, for surely that's over. But uh, you know, shout out. Then they played a great game. I feel like we were out there, we fought, but you know it was gonna happen in bestly for sure.
Speaker 1: This is the Ravens press Pass podcast, and if you want a full breakdown on the game, head over to the Launch podcast feed. Ryan May and I break it all down for you over there, So go ahead check that out, leave a rating and a review, and subscribe. Thanks for listening, Talk with you again soon.