Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for the finale and the season of Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man on Disney Plus, so be warned.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Oh, my name is Jasonconcepsi.
Speaker 2: And I'm Wedsday Night and welcome back to the X ray.
Speaker 1: Vision, the podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming from my Heart podcast where we'll bring you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and.
Speaker 3: That today, sometimes Saturday, sometimes times sometimes four and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so lucky.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, it's a Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man smorgas board as we react to the final two episodes, Episode nine, hero a Menace and episode ten Be My Destiny. And we're also gonna look at the impact of this season on the why to MCU, what does it mean? What is this multiversal version of Pete? The Parker tell us about what's coming next?
Speaker 2: So excited for that?
Speaker 1: Okay, episodes nine to ten in lieu of a recap, we'll just let's just breeze through basically what happened and then talk about our reactions and what we think the impacts of some of these things are going to be so Spider Man basically essues Norman's advice to that with great power comes great respect. He gets a new suit courtesy of Norman's son Harry, who started having basically holding company so that he could produce this stuff that will certainly play a role in the future Tombstone. Lonnie gets his powers, and then he and Spiderman team up to take down on the Scorpion and what is a fantastic fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he gets some classic style. We see the de Ox three container and then Lonnie basically makes the choice to help Spider Man. And we also see Big Donovan run away when Scorpions shows up and he loses the one ten gang and then they become Lonnie's gang, and I think we'll see something interesting and subversive with that in season two from what we see here.
Speaker 1: And then the final kind of like really fun circular reveal of this season is that Norman's big Brain plan is to create a Einstein Rosen Bridge Allah marvels the Avengers to access other parts of the galaxy, other places in space from which I guess they could harness resources and just make discoveries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wants to basically take all of the resources from space, which is never going to end well. And he basically tricked the kids into making the parts for the bridge.
Speaker 2: But I'm an astro knew what it was. He was just going, I did it. He was like, I walked.
Speaker 1: Out, and that opens up a portal through which comes the symbiote, which is how Spider Man gets his powers have to being bitten by a spider from that universe, as we saw in the beginning of this season, which is really interesting and has I've had a lot of fun just thinking about what that means. So let's talk about what that means in everything that we've seen here at What are the first things that you're just initial reactions of this season.
Speaker 2: I really loved this season.
Speaker 3: I thought this was a very fun reveal because we definitely were in a territory where we felt like, oh, well, they're taking miles this origin.
Speaker 2: Again, a spider from another universe comes through, but.
Speaker 3: Here we actually see it's just a spider from like a week, you know, a few months later, when doctor Strange comes Noman else Bourne's experimenting on the spiders. The spider slips through it bites pizza in the past, and this time loop continues. But you made a good point in pre production where what if we're following the Marvel endgame time right emc MC time travel rules, this would mean that there are many many timelines at this point, right.
Speaker 1: So MC rules would suggest that there was an original Spider Man who got his powers, not this way he gets involved in a fight against a symbiote, and the way that we see in episode ten that opens a portal through Strange. Strange opens a portal through which the Symbiote and the Spider go to another dimension, and that creates a Spider Man, and then that Spider Man loops that Spider Man has the career that we see in season one of Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man. He's a portal that opens another timeline that opens another timeline that opens. So it's such like a series of timelines that has created this Spider Man that we've seen, if we're going by MCU rules, Because it's a little bit like a terminator situation where.
Speaker 2: It's how does John Connor happen? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how does John Connor initially get born?
Speaker 3: I will say this could easily be like a closed time loop just by general time travel standards, and it kind of looks like that's what this is. But also we don't really know where the endgame time travel rules stand because they were always kind of blurry, like there was always a lot of conversations.
Speaker 2: I had to write an article at Esquire trying.
Speaker 3: To explain it, like and I do I think that this is a really neat interesting way to kind of intertwine Norman and Peter's fates in this universe.
Speaker 1: I think I think you need these kind of I think you need to MCU timeline rules just for the fact that you kind of lose all agency if you did, Like the characters are just doing things that have already been done or that are pretty you have to have to describe that have to happen, so you kind of have to have them this way.
Speaker 3: What do you think about Norman's ark in this series, because we really do get a different kind of Norman, but he ends in a much more classic Norman space.
Speaker 1: I really like the way you said something in you know before we start rolling that just like how patient this show is, and I think Norman is a good example of that, where, you know, I think for a lot of this season I'm like, what, Norman seems like a good This is good.
Speaker 2: He's trying his best. He's a good relationship with Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's like, obviously I think he's a little bit of a disruptor and a rule breaker, but that's not a big deal. But when he says to Peter, with great power comes great respect, and you have to take your respect, I was like, uh oh. And then certainly by the time that he it is revealed that he's been obsessively, secretly, you know, driving this project to create this stargate, and he's been doing it in a very manipulative way, and the way he is so driven by it almost maniacally, you know, you really see the meglomania come out. Yes, And it's at that point that I'm like, Okay, we're not that far away from the Green Goblin.
Speaker 3: And also, I thought something that I loved about this show is they knew when to tease something and when to reveal something.
Speaker 2: And I thought that one of the best moments.
Speaker 3: Was earlier in the season, kind of in the middle block of episodes, when Pizza.
Speaker 2: Is really getting just beaten up when he's trying out.
Speaker 3: The new suit, which we get a lot of course suits here. We even get the video game suit. There's a lot of video game references in this, which I think is really fun because for a lot of kids that was their entry point to Spider Man, was playing that game.
Speaker 2: But you get this moment where Peter is just like losing this fight and then you see the Green.
Speaker 3: Goblin, you know, hoverboard coming towards him, and you think, oh my god, is that going to be the Green Goblin. No, it's just the hoverboard, which essentially works as like a drone and can get him out of there. But we get those teasers so that we know in the next season Norman is definitely going to take that fateful step. And we see here that his desperation to be at the forefront of space exploration, of colonizing space, of taking resources from space, he has got a greed for knowledge, for power, for respect that will turn on him. But I think that that is always one of my favorite things about Norman. Osborne is a good version of Norman is actually benevolent as well, and he does love Peter, and he does care about Peter, and he does think Peter is really clever, and he wants to help Peter become the best version of himself, but it always becomes twisted as Norman kind of grows and his need for power grows.
Speaker 2: And I just thought they did such a good job of that here.
Speaker 3: I love this Norman Osborne like Common Domingos, so incredible as voice actor. We finally get, like you said, you know, culturally appropriate hair Norman, And I just thought that I love the relationship between Harry Norman and Peter, and I love that here they allow Peter and Harry to have a friendship that is not defined by Norman's kind of clear preference for Peter, and instead Harry and Peter get to create a relationship on their own terms. That leads to this very cool ending where Nico suggests to Harry, well, you're super rich, why don't you create this kind of web business where you can have us basically making super suits, being superheroes, helping people out. It's that kind of move away as well from what Norman hooked Harry and hooked Peter up with, which is the very Spider Man one police radio scanner where Peter's kind of always helping the police. In Spider Man two, they decided that it would be ned instead of the police to kind of move him away from that, which I thought was cool. Also, if you're looking for other obvious Disney attributes here, the company that they create Web that is the game and kind of set up of the Spider Man Bride in Disneyland. Web is the Webslingers and you go into the lab and you play with the spider Bots and you have to kind of save them and sling them. So a lot of Disney synergy here with the video game with the with WB but in I thought a really fun way that for kids is probably going to make this feel like a very immersive cartoon that kind of goes outside of you know, your classic Saturday morning fair. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Something I found very interesting is that the Kovie Accords do exist in this, which suggests to us when this possibly takes place, I guess in a post endgame or maybe a pre Snap.
Speaker 2: Or at least not post Civil War post Yeah. I think you're right.
Speaker 1: So what's really interesting is that that means that the big fight in Berlin in Captain America Civil War happened without Spider Man there, which is fascinating to think about. I wonder how that went.
Speaker 2: I want to know, like who was there instead?
Speaker 3: Who did yeah, call in because we know that Spider Man is really the surprise winning secret in that battle, especially because when it was the first time we got Spider Man in the MCU, first time we see Tom Holland in the role, but it was that Tony thinking outside of the box, Tony getting a young hero nobody knew about who had a power set that they couldn't plan for.
Speaker 2: I thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 3: I also really like that the way we see the the Covia Records represented here is much more like the kind of Mutant Registration Act. So we see the government hunting people down, we see the government trying to find people with powers. We see the government trying to find someone like dot Op and who's selling this kind of power broker esque tech to villains to give them, you know, these powers. We saw it with Tarantula and Speed Demon, and I thought it was cool to see the policing of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought I thought that a certain character was gonna be the person that was arming these criminals, but then it turned out to be Doc Cock, which which I.
Speaker 2: Think is cool. I love it. They definitely did some interesting stuff with that there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was gonna be someone else, and we kind of tease that at the beginning of the season. I will say I loved their depiction of doc Ock as this arrogant show tune loving, like dancing like ego maniac who was also like kind of I think has a little bit of add It was a really wonderful depiction of him, and more speak more about like how Patients' show is. They could have started with, oh, no question Octavius having the arms on already, but it's clear, like from the end of the season that he gets the oh yeah, maybe I should figure out a better use for these arms some day. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that causal of the papers all up against the wall kind of in him standing in front. Also great to see like a comics accurate kind of cartoon accurate. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved how chunky he was. I loved the glasses.
Speaker 3: With the little shining, the little kind of reflection in the eye. I also hilariously had had this like McDonald's stock oc figure from the old cartoons, and it looked identical to this version. So I think I really enjoyed seeing the way that they reimagined and recontextualized character designs for the younger characters, this kind of new.
Speaker 2: Cool, Harry.
Speaker 3: I loved Pearl and have you know, she's so tall and statuesque, and you know that if she does end up getting those wave powers, she's going to be formidable.
Speaker 2: I love Nico, But what I also loved.
Speaker 3: Was the way that for certain characters they kept the designs really classic.
Speaker 2: It was a fun mix of both.
Speaker 3: As we I know from if you listen to our first episode kind of recap where we were talking about the first two episodes. I was Lonnie was my big fave character, and I was very nerve wracked as I watched this season to see where that journey would go, as he kind of traversed being in a gang and trying to protect his brother from Big Donovan's gang. But I loved that Lonnie's journey to becoming Tombstone was switched up and became more of a heroic thing, more of a space for him to help Peter, to help his friends, and hopefully I think we could see the one tenth Gang become something totally different than we've seen in the comics. And we did get to see, you know, Lonnie, they I thought something else that was really cool. Character design wise, was that rather than having him turn completely white like Tombstone, they showed it sort of growing on his skin, and that was I thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 1: I could see them it'd be cool if it progresses over time. I could see his skin changing like overtime, so Lannie gets his powers. And also we see in the Stinger scene at the end of the season that Nico has at some point and perhaps has been as the series has been ongoing, is starting to dabble in magic.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We saw her previously like doing terror readings, but now she's trying to contact her mom, who you know, unbeknownst to her as a member of a super.
Speaker 3: Villain, supervillain organization, super fellain group.
Speaker 1: But she'll find that out, and yeah, so that's really fine. We're going to get to go doing some magic next season.
Speaker 3: We definitely had a lot of I had a lot of fun with the way they had Nico. We kind of had a conversation about this, and I think they leave it open for interpretation, but I think something really fun they do with Nico as she has the Amula and.
Speaker 2: She either feels like it gives her some kind of.
Speaker 3: Good luck or she knows that it will get her out of bad situations, because we have her use it when she's about to get hit by a car and then Peter turns up a very Twilight esque moment where he kind of stops this car from crushing her. We also see her looking at it as she's drag racing with Harry in his car and they manage to escape this kind of car crash that could happen, So she definitely either sees it as some kind of luck or new and I do that's very cool, I know, because it feels like she kind of looks at a lot, and she did when Peter tells her that he is Spider Man. Finally, after Harry accidentally reveals it, he says to her, no more secrets, and she looks at the amula after he leaves and she says, yeah, no more secrets. So I think she knows that she has this magic connection. And obviously at the end we see her truly like trying to talk to her mum. Also another interesting thing I realized when I was rewatching some of these episodes. Nika in this version lips with foster parents, but her foster mom is called missus O'Hara ras so I do wonder if that's to make it meant to be Miguel's mom if we're going to get some kind of version of Spider Man twenty ninety nine in the next season, because we definitely do get a lot of fun moments like that in the show.
Speaker 1: One of the things I was thinking about is they did kind of give Peter Miles's origin story kind of like because it's a Spider from another dimension a little bit. I mean, you could say that it's the same timeline, but it's probably if it's mc raising, it's a different.
Speaker 2: Time on a different timeline technically a different timeline.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting now, you know, we end up with Norman having the Spider, having possession of the Spider and clearly intending to use it to perhaps create other Spider people, and but he's probably going to try and give himself Spider powers, and that opens up the door to possibly then be able to like flip the origin story, so people, yeah, and have the Miles origin Miles gets the Peter traditional.
Speaker 2: I would love that. I think that would be really fun, and I like, I think.
Speaker 3: This is a much more successful experiment of the what if kind of train of thought of how do we tell a story that is recognizable to people, but that has enough twists and turns and changes in the origin that it feels like you're watching something different. And I think this has been a largely successful experiment. It was emotionally driven, it was interesting.
Speaker 2: It's full of easter eggs.
Speaker 3: I mean, as they're drag racing, we see them drag racing against the woman who's got like orange hair and her car has flames on the side, and it's like, is that fire star? They don't actually give her a name. So there was like so much fun here if you're a kid who just loves Spider Man from playing the video games and watching the movies, or if you're an adult like us who just loves this stuff and loves to see different versions about.
Speaker 2: I mean, even the names of these final two episodes.
Speaker 3: If this be My Destiny is the very famous story arc where we get some of the most legendary Spider Man moments, which is the steep Dicko stan Lee stuff with art Simeric and Stan Goldberg, and obviously that very famous cover of Spider Man holding up the three rays holding up the stuff that's kind of crushing him, and we get the moment of dot COK being involved, Harry being involved. I'm so excited to see where this goes next and kind of what could happen.
Speaker 1: We must talk about the crazy fa what I think is the craziest show, which is, like I was yelling, I was, I could.
Speaker 2: Not believe it.
Speaker 1: So aunt May in the in when we last see her the end of the season, Aunt May is heading to a prison facility somewhere to visit none other than Richard Parker, father of Deer Parker, who is alive in the line. And man, this is so I wonder where they go with this, because I mean, Richard Parker was like a spy in the comics and they kind of do that an Amazing Spider Man. They kind of have the you know, the Parkers involved in this conspiracy thing. So I wonder where they're gonna go with this.
Speaker 3: This is also very interesting because that is there was gonna be a deleted scene at the end of Amazing Spider Man two where Richard kind of revealed that he was still alive even off you know, so this kind of runs into that pe and in this version Richard is in prison. So also I'm very interested. I thought it was gonna be Uncle Ben because throughout season and a lot of people have mentioned this in our discord as well. Throughout the season, they often reference Uncle Benn as being gone or gone us, but they don't real.
Speaker 2: Lean into it. So I was thinking, well, maybe that's him.
Speaker 3: So I think we could have an interesting Ben Richard conflict in season two. I'm guessing if Richard is in prison, it probably is something to do with his spy work. But it also would be interesting if they had a storyline that he just kind of sucked, like some of us have dads that suck, like I would.
Speaker 2: Be could be that what that looks like?
Speaker 3: And I mean, there's just so much to delve into in Richard Parker's history that they could be looking at, Like you could be talking about scrolls, you could be talking about Hydra, you could be talking about the US Army.
Speaker 2: We could find out.
Speaker 3: That Mary is still alive. Like, it's definitely gonna be really interesting. I thought that was a wild thing, and I feel especially from people, we were just like, oh my days, like what's going on?
Speaker 2: And I thought that was really really fun.
Speaker 3: And we will be right back to talk a little bit more about Friendly neighborhood spider Man after message from Osborns's how went back, Jason, who is your breakout character from the season?
Speaker 1: Oh, gosh, I think I think it's Lonnie. I thought they did such an incredible job with Lonnie as like the b plot of many of the episodes down the stretches of the season, they did a great job just fleshing out the world of the One ten Gang and how Lonnie relates to them. Some of the I think most hard hitting stuff for me was like Lonnie trying to like Lonnie living these two lives where he's pretending to still be those you know, the straight a student and quarterback of the high school football team and clean cut kid, but he's also lying to his parents about where he is. He's lying to Pearl, he's and he's also I thought it was smart that they it was clear that Lonnie likes it like Lonnie is he was.
Speaker 2: One of the best.
Speaker 1: I thought it was really smart.
Speaker 3: Kind of grow to be like, well, there's aspects of to me like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like the respect that I get immediately. I like being in the community.
Speaker 2: Like gang looking out for them, And I did.
Speaker 3: Really love how the payoff for that was that the gang leader who was using all these guys.
Speaker 2: You have Big Donald, who is a comic book character.
Speaker 3: He just leaves them in this really terrifying moment when they're fighting Scorpion, and which, by the way, another really fantastic character design. Really scary Scorpion is often kind of played for laughs, but he it was like Matt Gargan was really really a terrifying guy. We also got some cool other Scorpion stuff with like Camilla Black, she is the Scorpion currently she was running his street.
Speaker 2: Gang, and I, yeah, I was just really blown away.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Jonathan Jordan Medina, who was an yest on the show Primo that I wrote on with Cha Serano and Mike Short and is the voice of MATC.
Speaker 2: Gargan, and he did such a great job, like just so good.
Speaker 3: And I really loved that we got this huge scorpion fight that ended with Peter almost having that moment of Peter is gonna go too far, He's gonna kill this guy, He's gonna take it, and it's Lonnie who stop. And I loved how much Peter's friendships were such a major major part of the show, because that is how it is in the comics and in the movies, Peter is often more focused on his love interests, or we get like a friendship with Harry that turns sour because of the Green Goblin. But here we really get to see that in the reality of being a teen superhero, who your friends there and who you have on your side is so important, and we end with a very cool team.
Speaker 1: That's a great point because I think we've set up a world in which it will be very meaningful when the love interest plot lines start happening, because we've already set up a world in which Peter is like, he's a busy guy. He's juggling a lot of things. He's juggling his crime fighting activities, with his career, with his students, with his stuff he's doing at school, with his home life without May, with his friends, and he's trying to keep secrets from some of them, not all of them, and jungle all these responsibilities. And I think when Gwen or Mary Jane or whoever enter the story, it's gonna be really fun because we're set up in such a way that it's going to really mean something when Peter starts spending more time with this person and does he tell them the secret and exactly that stuff. It's going to be really fun.
Speaker 3: They do a really funny job here of establishing Peter's biggest problem, which is like he's so bad at time management that he always ends up pushing his crashes into the arms of other people. It happens with Pearl and Loni, it happens with Nico and Harry. He just can't be there and he can't make that balance work. So that already establishes that kind of big lead into what we'll probably start seeing in season two. Jason, what would your biggest wish be for a character or an arc that we get in season two?
Speaker 1: My biggest wish, God, I hope that they hold off on the multi dimensional Spider people for a long time. I think that a little bit of multiverse stuff to start the show is good, but I think like, let's just stay in this world for a while and the people that are here f's intimate. It's a fun story. And I thought that the you know, we see Spider Man, I mean, excuse me, we see Iron Man making a high profile arrest of doctor Octavia is helping the Feds out with that one, and that was like just enough. Let's keep this street level, because to me, that's what kind of the peak Spider Man is is He's a street level guy, his rogues gallery, all of the drama there is very contained on the streets of New York, and let's not escalate it above that. Just yeah, I don't think we need to see I don't think we need a lot of cameos. Let's just keep it focused on Spider Man and it's it's been a joy that way.
Speaker 2: What about you? I totally agree.
Speaker 3: I loved getting to see some of the people that Harry's like calling up. You know, we see Ned Leeds there, who if we get a version that's like the MCU could be one of Peter's best friends, or if not, it could just be a kind of reimagining of a Hobgoblin. I'm I'm very excited. I agree with you, keep it small. I want to see more of Peter and Norman. I want to see more of Peter and Harry. I want to see more of Peter and Lonnie. I think that is obviously building some kind of sinister six which I think is really interesting. And I'm just more excited to see what this world has to offer because I do think that out of the Marvel animation stuff that we've gotten, this is up there. Like obviously X Men ninety seven is the bar. But for me, I do think that this is very, very crazy, and I think it fits. I think this is going to be one of those shows that they feel so nostalgic for, so excited for, and that's gonna kind of inspire them to be more interested and more excited about learning about Spider Man. Each of the issues are comic book titles. They can learn from them, they can read, they can decide what characters they like. There's going to be kids who want to read Runaways after this, and I think that's like one of the coolest things about this show.
Speaker 1: Well that's a good point because that one of the things I was thinking about is how how much stuff there is to do if considering the success of your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man, Marvel wants to make more of these. I mean think there's a young Avengers thing that they could do. I think that there's a regular Avengers story they could do. I think that there's a strange academy oh so cool Runaways to Runaways is a thing they could do. I think that there's you know, new mutants. I think that there is a lot cool right. I think that there's a lot of ways that they could go with a other Marvel stories, with your friendly neighborhood spider Man type of execution, and that makes me really excited to think about something like that. Well, next week on x ray Vision, it's our very first book club meeting, where we'll be dissecting the ups and the downs of the classic Daredevil storyline Daredevil Born Again. And then on Tuesday, we hop into the time machine and go all the way back to twenty fifteen to revisit the groundbreaking first season of Daredevil. On Netflix Thursday, we're doing something new. It's a competition show called Your Wrong Friend, in which I'm going to try to convince one another that the hot takes we have are actually good takes. They're cool takes because they should be. They should be mainstream takes. First Up, First Subject, Which Property Deserves or rewatch more The Defenders, Netflix's Team Up, Street Level Team Up television show, or Rosie's all time favorite Marvel movie The That's it for this episode, Thanks for the Fie. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Spcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Korfman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi.
Speaker 2: Our discord moderate, though