Speaker 1: We have a whole bunch of live shows scheduled for this summer.
Speaker 2: Podmeats World Live is going on the road.
Speaker 1: So, writer, what we've been in discussion, how are we gonna do this?
Speaker 2: Are we going?
Speaker 1: Are the three of us going on the road together? What does that mean for our families? Writer, you have talked many times about how as India is getting older, it's made you realize, like, now that he's eight, you have ten more summers of actual like time vacations with him, and so what have you decided to do this summer with your time.
Speaker 3: We're gonna road trip it. We're gonna We're gonna van life it. Yeah, we've done multiple road trips.
Speaker 4: Like during COVID and twenty twenty we did a big camping you know, we were just kind of on our own and our own little bubble.
Speaker 3: We literally brought like a portable toilet with us, so we never went to a public bath.
Speaker 4: And we did that for like three weeks and it was just such a bonding, great experience. And then after like in twenty twenty one, when everyone was vaccinated and feeling safer, we decided to drive around the country and see all of our friends that we hadn't seen.
Speaker 3: Because of COVID. So we like did this epic three or four week road trip.
Speaker 4: And then so this summer was coming up, and I really want to take into rafting because I grew up whitewater rafting all the time.
Speaker 3: Amazing, and so we wanted to go.
Speaker 4: We do our normal camping trip, We go up to my parents, we go camping, and then we were going. I was like, oh, and then we'll just go right into a rafting trip. And then we were looking at the dates based on our live shows and we were like, well, then we'd be driving all the way back to La like right when we have to, I'd have to turn around and jump on a plane to Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: I was like, why not just keep driving?
Speaker 4: And then we kept adding up the dates between conventions and live shows.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna be on the road for over six weeks.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, and so and Indy could not be more excited, which I just love because I loved road trips as a kid.
Speaker 3: I love the trips as an adult.
Speaker 4: You know, we camp and we get out and we hike, and like we're going to white Water raft so it's not like we're like in the car the whole time, but just exploring the country. And I'm just so glad that he likes it. Like he always sees he'll be like, Dad, I missed the month long road trip when we took our road trip two years ago. He still talks about it, and I'm like, all right, let's do it again.
Speaker 5: So if I am on the road for six weeks, I am running from the law.
Speaker 6: That's why I've been.
Speaker 3: In a car to be home.
Speaker 6: Of course, of course I am running from my wife and I This is one of the things that makes a great partnership.
Speaker 5: And it's the same thing that you have Danielle, and the same thing that you have with Alex riders.
Speaker 6: How you travel together makes a huge difference.
Speaker 5: So when it comes to your partnership, and Sue and I on almost exactly the same day at exactly the same time, no matter where we are in the world, we'll look at each other and go, I want to go home.
Speaker 7: That's about ten or twelve days into a trip, or like, I want to go home now.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: So that's what makes a great partnership, when you're just you travel the same together.
Speaker 4: It's important and I think Alex and I would just keep going I don't think we unless we have to come home.
Speaker 3: There's a man keep going.
Speaker 1: So getting back to our live shows, we are doing costume contests. Oh I can't in every city. I feel like you guys just both took a sip of your coffee. Now I need to take a take a sip. So what costumes are you hoping to see?
Speaker 6: I was just going to ask the same thing.
Speaker 5: What do you think is going to be the most obscure Boy meets World character costume you're going to see?
Speaker 6: Because I'm guessing we'll get a lot of feenies, a lot of place with squirrels. Yeah, a lot of Topanga Topango with the with the lipstick on the.
Speaker 3: Face to Panga's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've seen the Dusty war. Actually, yeah, I want to see it. Dusty.
Speaker 6: Dusty would be great. Dusty would be great.
Speaker 4: Janitor Bud, I want to see.
Speaker 3: You guys are great outfit?
Speaker 2: What about a lobster?
Speaker 6: See that's what I mean? Like it's good?
Speaker 5: What are we going to get a Nancy Kerrigan? Are we going to get a model from the mall? Are we going to get a Kathy Ireland?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: How obscure are people going to What about Ryder's friend who invented the word strafty bright?
Speaker 3: Is that ocean so obscure? No one knows what ocean looks like.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. They just come up and say right now, okay.
Speaker 3: Lock and curly hair tied.
Speaker 4: I shirt Nike, black Nike shorts, no shoes every day.
Speaker 6: Every day you think a kid named ocean like.
Speaker 4: Shirt, different tid ice shirt, black Nike shorts. Never wore shoes he grew up on. He grew up on like fifty acres. Never work shoes.
Speaker 3: He could run on gravel like his feet were.
Speaker 4: So thick because he just never wore shoes. So yeah, every day that's what he wore.
Speaker 2: So that's pretty easy. I like that one.
Speaker 4: So can you even talked about on the show that that people send us strafty bright in ultiple situations on Boy Meet's World.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's on the board.
Speaker 4: I wrote it on the board during the season one season one, and so you can see it clearly behind Ben. And then I wrote it on my notebook apparently a number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, episode, you really made a valiant effort to get that word.
Speaker 4: Yes, But what it was so weird about seeing like when people sent us those those it was like it was like it was like coded messages I had sent through time to myself.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: It was like, oh my god, I took these opportunities to write strafty right into the show, like sneak it in there, and like I totally forgot so to be able to see it now as an adult, it was just the weirdest travel. Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 5: I also just got for everybody going back to the costume contest, a forty pound box delivered to my house of my scripts from back in my childhood bedroom. And I'm talking scripts with like remember they used to have the stickers with our names on it, Like a bunch of them still have Wilford al on them. These were like original table read draft delivered to my apartment.
Speaker 6: Scripts that are there. I have the breakdowns of the blocking sheets. Wo.
Speaker 5: I have our cast and cruise sheets with all the phone numbers on my I have our bump like the TGIF bump sheets.
Speaker 6: I've got all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Well those are prizes, yeah, for who wears the best costume.
Speaker 2: We will decide.
Speaker 1: We haven't talked about our criteria or the judging process.
Speaker 2: We still have to. We still have to discuss all of that.
Speaker 1: But one of you lucky people will be walking out of our live show every single night with an autographed script from Will Stash that we will all sign for the best costume.
Speaker 6: I'm also there'll be a cushling. That'd be great. Oh wow, ay, Jody sweet and cush and that'd be a great cost the ripped pants that she's Peter Soman.
Speaker 5: I'm also I can tell you going to be having lunch with a couple cast members of Boy Meets World coming up.
Speaker 6: I won't say who, but a couple coming up.
Speaker 2: So I are not included in this.
Speaker 6: You are not.
Speaker 3: Allowed I invited to lunch.
Speaker 2: I guess we're not.
Speaker 6: We're we're having a real cast reunion, got it, okay?
Speaker 5: And maybe I'll bring some scripts and have some of them sign it as well, so we can have some cool stuff there.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 5: But no, neither of you are invited. I keep up with everybody, you know how that is. And we don't like you, and so you're not going to be coming. That's just how it is.
Speaker 6: But I'll tell you all about lunch. It's going to be great.
Speaker 1: Oh can't wait to hear about it. I hope you I hope you get some bib let us what I do. Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm writer Strong, and I'm Wilfordell. So today we are recapping season two episode twenty three Home, which is the season two finale. It originally aired May nineteenth, nineteen ninety five. Any thoughts you guys want to share before we jump into this episode? Wow, I love this episode.
Speaker 3: You love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's it's good. I it's very dramatic.
Speaker 6: It's very dramatic and very dramatic.
Speaker 3: I am very dramatic.
Speaker 6: You are very dramatic.
Speaker 4: And I guess the interesting thing that the overall thought to me is that it's it's it's strange how much the show shifts into Sean storyline, like into like Sean's world by the end of season two, like a two parter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this episode and the one right before it feel like a two parter.
Speaker 6: It also feels like we haven't seen Corey in a while.
Speaker 4: Now, that's what I mean to end of the season, sort of moving away from Corey.
Speaker 3: This much feels it's it's it's a bold move.
Speaker 4: It's a really interesting that I didn't I don't think I recognized that as how unusual that was, or maybe it wasn't unusual.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just the natural evolution of the show.
Speaker 4: But watching it this time, I was like, Wow, Corey is really like Sean is just Sean's storyline?
Speaker 3: Is then the major thrust of the season ender, which is just a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I wonder how much of that is because as we've discussed with multiple episodes that we've seen lately, like I really loved the Thriller and Philla episode.
Speaker 2: I think I was.
Speaker 1: You know, Will did too, writer, you were not a fan. So I think it seems as though, in my opinion, the storylines of Corey being in every Man and I'm never making my mark and how do I make myself different, we've reached a point where we've exhausted those storylines. We have done the very normal storyline of that, which is like the very relatable who am I? I'm not gorgeous, I'm not super smart, I'm just normal.
Speaker 2: We've done those episodes, and.
Speaker 1: Then we've done you know, crazy over the top episodes where Corey's a wrestler and it's pro wrestling.
Speaker 2: And we've get Yes, Me and Bleef and Robert Goula. It's like, we've exhausted those.
Speaker 1: Now we need some real stakes and how do we do that.
Speaker 2: Let's do it through Sean and I.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's dramatic, but I love it. It feels way more interesting to me, you know, Like it makes Alan and Amy parents again, and obviously mister Turner a teacher slash parent again.
Speaker 4: It brings up all the tensions that the show sort of started with, which is like, how do you raise kids and you be a kid in the world, and like it reignites all of the same.
Speaker 3: It brings back the characters to their sort of core and their essency.
Speaker 4: It stresses them out right, Like he stresses the situation out in the best possible way so that everybody has to sort of get back to who they really are.
Speaker 3: It's it's great storytelling. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It also we've clearly set up now through two seasons, no matter what happens to Corey, he's not going to quote unquote fail. There is a safe There are safety nets after safety nets after safety net. He's got his parents who were super invo He's got a brother who, even though his brother needles him and jokes at him, is always there for him and will you know, jump over a hallway, you know, ledge to protect him if he needs to. He's got Foenie watching out for him, he's got Turner on his side. Like he's got Sean, a best friend who says, no matter what, you're Corey and I'm Sean.
Speaker 6: So like he's got a girl.
Speaker 2: There's like Corey's fine, Corey's fine.
Speaker 1: We have two seasons of setting up that Corey's life is gonna be fine on his own anxiety exactly if he can get out of his own way, he'll be golden. And but what we've also set up is that his very best friend is not necessarily going to be fine. And so opening up the next few seasons of let's see how this very stable Rock character can influence this very unstable, not protected is us find it. It's fascinating and way more interesting than continuing to see how secure Corey's life is.
Speaker 5: It's also it's just it's television too, where it's you know, you're coming into season two, you're hoping there's going to be a season three. The only way a television show has legs is if every character is developed. Yes, So it's one of those things where you know, after a while watching Family Ties and it was like, well, we let's get into Justine Bateman's character.
Speaker 6: We need to know what the sister's like. We need to know.
Speaker 5: You see it on The Office, you see it on those shows where it's like, okay, if we're going to actually be one of those shows that lasts.
Speaker 6: Everybody's got a matter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's and it's that's kind of where we are now. And it's I agree with Danielle hundred percent seeing there's something which again makes the idea that he then was off the show so crazy. But seeing you and Tony together, there's something about the two of you together that's great. And it's just it's him trying the way they've now made it where you know he needs we'll get into it. He needs something in his life and it's it. You think it's gonna be a woman, but it turns out to not be that. It's just it was really clever the way.
Speaker 3: That Tony is such a dramatic actor.
Speaker 4: He's so clearly remarkable because he clearly wasn't cast for that right and he's cast, but he just rises to being such a He's just he's a rock. You know, like you just believe you want him to be this father figure so bad, and he's so believable. He's so present and he doesn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a there was a movie of the Week that Tony did before he did Boy, and when we were friends, he was like, he showed it to me as a joke. He was like, you got to see his movie the week I did?
Speaker 6: It was both And.
Speaker 5: The last kind of scene, they're all he and his family are at a funeral and they're all sitting there and they pan past the family and it is one stereotypical grief after grief, and it's kind of a bad, cheesy acting, and you get to Tony, who's dead behind the eyes and tears streaming down his face, and you're like.
Speaker 6: That was this is amazing.
Speaker 5: You're amazing at that he just could hit these beats that we didn't see.
Speaker 3: He's not false at all.
Speaker 6: He's so he's so real, it's so present, it's easy.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: Did you and Tony really work on developing? Like was that something you did? There are no external conversations about.
Speaker 3: That's what I don't remember. I just remember us.
Speaker 4: I loved working with him. But it's so funny I don't remember talking about acting. I don't remember talking about our performances. I don't remember, Like I mean, there are times, you know, and they can think of where I like worked out things with people.
Speaker 3: But I feel like it was all instinct.
Speaker 4: Like I feel like we just because I didn't really I didn't know how to act. I just sort of showed up and did it, you know what I mean. And I think that we just worked together. We just have We just had this chemistry and it came alive. I mean I felt that not so much in this episode, but in the previous episode when I go to his apartment and end up eating the food and falling to sleep, Like, I just loved that scene. It was, you know, and I'm watching it, I was like, wow, I don't I don't remember this, but I just I just thought that the dynamic was Yeah, but no, I don't. We just had chemistry. We just had actor chemistry, you know, like whatever, Now, how lucky.
Speaker 5: We are as because what you just said is so true. I didn't know how to act either. You kind of just go and do it and then you learn on your feet.
Speaker 6: A little bit. You know, how lucky we were.
Speaker 5: To have the adult actors we did around us doing what they did, Rusty and Bill and Betsy and Tony. I mean, we were only as good as those people we were watching and who were helping us along without even knowing they were helping us along. And man where we were and again we didn't, we didn't recognize it while we were there.
Speaker 6: We just it was so beneficial to have those actors with us.
Speaker 5: And that's a credit to Michael and to Sally and everybody who cast everybody who brought I mean, Alex and all the adults they brought in were just so good that we upped our game to be next to them.
Speaker 4: So we just took it for granted, right, We honestly don't think it was like I didn't think like, oh, it's remarkable that this thirty year old dude can act this well.
Speaker 3: It was just like, well, he's mister Turner and he's a good actor and he does actor. I would never have said Tony was bad.
Speaker 4: I always knew he was good, but I don't think I recognized what he was bringing to you know, this, this, these scenes, these characters, characters.
Speaker 6: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, Well, let's jump in the synopsis. Is when Sean starts to feel like a burden to the Matthews. He sneaks out, only to find himself on mister Turner's doorstep yet again, and Eric tries to master the SATs by working for mister Feenie. So once again, this is like our first real serialized Ye we went from career day writing.
Speaker 3: Storyline is serialized, you know That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they've turned Eric into Corey. So this is the start of really Eric and Feenie. I mean it's the same storyline where.
Speaker 6: You're gonna you're gonna work around the house.
Speaker 5: I mean that's such a first season Cory storyline.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, and they've given it to Eric. They've completely given it to Eric, so so strange. Well.
Speaker 1: It was directed by David Traynor, written by Jeff Sherman, guest starring Jason Marsden as Jason Marsden, Blake Clark as Chet Hunter. Darlene Vogel is back as Catherine Kat Tompkins.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: She is in a lot of episodes, yes, right, and.
Speaker 4: Has like a major story point in this. It's not just of Toss, it's life changing drama.
Speaker 3: And the two of them. Yeah, and she's great.
Speaker 1: If she's fantastic, and no recollection, no recollection at all.
Speaker 6: I thought she did one or two.
Speaker 5: Maybe I remember her because of her eye and because of Back to the Future.
Speaker 6: That's all that I remember, so that she was this.
Speaker 3: Her, just her and Tony pretty much.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ivory Ocean as Policeman. He's best known for his role as Mayor Tilton in The Mask.
Speaker 6: There's something else with him we will talk about when we get to that scene. If I am correct, and I think.
Speaker 2: I am, I can't wait. Okay.
Speaker 1: Also worth noting this will be the final episode with Lily nick Say as Morgan Matthews.
Speaker 5: That's definite right, that's definite right that she she does season three, comes back and she's.
Speaker 2: Gone, right, yeah, I don't you just never gets star.
Speaker 6: Again or to come back again.
Speaker 3: Does she know Lindsey takes over?
Speaker 2: It takes over. I think halfway through season three, which.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that long then. If it really was halfway through season three, yeah.
Speaker 2: She would not, she would not have it was.
Speaker 1: It was a significant amount through season three because I remember then when they wrote the character in and it was like she's been on a time out.
Speaker 3: We made a whole big joke out and she's been.
Speaker 2: Done for a while.
Speaker 1: Also worth noting season four or five, this would have also been the infamous tape day of embrace Gate. True, so this would have been when Adam Scott.
Speaker 3: Is even in it.
Speaker 6: He's not in this one though. It must have been Thriller in Phila.
Speaker 3: It had.
Speaker 6: Why would he Phila?
Speaker 5: It must have been unless we shot him out of order, which I don't think we did this season.
Speaker 3: Unless he was just happened to be there for tape night in the final season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was probably Thrilla and Phylla, and he thought it was him, he did say the finale. But listen, so we all have been hugging anyway, because exactly unless he knew he wasn't coming back.
Speaker 6: You know, you're also in the star of the show at this point, writer, and he was at a guest star.
Speaker 2: How you know what? How dare he?
Speaker 6: Let's get him back? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's pretty great.
Speaker 1: So let's jump into our recap. We start in Corey and Eric's room. Corey is banging on the bathroom door to get Sean out, who has been living there now for three weeks. He spent two and a half of those weeks in the bathroom, he says. Eric, who's sitting nearby at the desk, says, to keep it down, he's studying. Corey shoots him a look and Eric says, well, I am. And then Corey says, well, I'm trying to shower here, and Eric shoots him a look and Corey says, well, I am.
Speaker 2: And I don't understand these jokes.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: So the joke is essentially I'm studying and Corey's like, you're studying.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm taking a shower. You're taking a shower like stinky.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and Eric doesn't usually study.
Speaker 5: Right, So okay, it's out of the norm for both of them, the norm for Corey to shower and out of the norm for Eric to study.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, I started I would do that in just a real I am.
Speaker 6: Working to sell this dialogue because but it is. It's I am, I am.
Speaker 5: They left to hang very big in the in the in the first part of this, just like trying to hit these beats.
Speaker 6: I get better as the episode goes on.
Speaker 2: But I think you're great.
Speaker 3: I'm working.
Speaker 6: I'm working. I don't think I'm bad.
Speaker 5: I definitely don't think I'm bad, but it's it's better as it goes on.
Speaker 1: It's the opening of this show for those to be like the hook them jokes.
Speaker 2: I am not sure we could.
Speaker 6: We could have used the rewrite, could use a little punch up.
Speaker 4: The best joke is is my shaving crew completely with you?
Speaker 6: And started.
Speaker 3: The door with that.
Speaker 1: Sean opens the door and reveals he is shaving his face. Facial hair runs in the family, especially on his mom's side. You've got shaving cream just a little bit right here in between your eyebrows, which made me die laughing. So Eric is prepping for his SATs and still panicking. And here's where we see that we have a running storyline going on.
Speaker 2: Eric is working out a problem. Nihilism is to optimism as gluttony is too, And he says, butte Montana, did you guys figure out what the answer should be?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: I wasn't.
Speaker 1: No, nihilism is to optimism as gluttony is to starvation.
Speaker 2: That's what I said first. That's what I said first.
Speaker 1: But because you can be gluttonous about anything, it doesn't just have to be food.
Speaker 5: Really well, nihilism is nihilism is the belief in nothingness and optimism is being positive.
Speaker 6: So it is a little oppositey pessimism exactly. That's what that's where it's They love.
Speaker 4: Nihilis because they used that in the last episode to go to each their go to s a T work.
Speaker 5: I think I think what they're going for is something like starvation.
Speaker 1: Or I said moderation. Moderation is to moderation.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I.
Speaker 1: I then googled it. You want to know what comes up just our show? There is no answer.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: So Eric, who is mind blocked and can't even remember what college is until Corey reminds him, starts looking for his lucky pencil.
Speaker 2: Who you call Pency Pency?
Speaker 4: All right, somebody shows up at our shows dressed as Pency.
Speaker 1: Great great costume, a chewed pencil. Oh, I love it it just.
Speaker 2: And his names is Pensy and he can't find it. He is freaking out until Corey finds it.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm sorry. I just had the theme song to the Pency cartoon that just went through my head.
Speaker 4: Pancy Pency, It's Me and you Pency favorite number two.
Speaker 6: No, I just made that up, but it just seems like that would be the Oh my Goshency.
Speaker 2: It all right, let's get on that record that.
Speaker 1: Let's record that please Wills Will's new theme song for the animated show he just created on the spot.
Speaker 6: It's me That's how it would be.
Speaker 1: So Sean comes out of the bathroom cleaning his ears with Eric's lucky towel Towley a south Park reference.
Speaker 6: South Park, Now, thank you. I don't think they've one of the things I wrote down. There's one of those in this episode.
Speaker 5: Two major shows taking from us in this episode.
Speaker 1: We were Towey first, we created Seinfeld South Park Friends.
Speaker 5: It's a Seinfeld one next to that. I'm going to talk to you about.
Speaker 4: So but you know, totally would have been like when we were because that was right around the time that we did the Halloween episode.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Cowy's just the towel that just keeps getting stoned on South Park.
Speaker 4: You guys want to get season five or six of.
Speaker 6: So think so yeah, I think so so Yeah, it's just wow, Okay, yeah, I think I think we beat south Park.
Speaker 1: With Tally, but we'll say unbelievable. So Eric starts to give him ground rules about living in their house, but Corey steps in to say it's only temporary and they've been doing pretty darn well. Eric, who wants some peace and quiet, goes into the bathroom and screams off camera as his notebook goes flying, and Sean says, looks like he found slippy is lucky, So.
Speaker 6: Slippy love that.
Speaker 4: I know everybody else is slippy would have worked. Yeah, Eric, camera getting hurt.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, I literally wrote same jokes as last episode, the same kind. We're still in the Yeah.
Speaker 1: For as much as as much as I love this episode, I don't know that we started out super hot, but but I love the episode. Okay, So then we're in the Matthew's kitchen, Morgan are departing, Lily Nixy is eating a loaded ice cream Sunday for breakfast. Alan calls it out as not breakfast and she says. Sean says his family has Sundays for breakfast all the time. Amy walks in and Alan sarcastically explains that Morgan has been getting nutritional advice from the Hunters, and Amy starts to complain about Sewan, but she stops herself because Morgan is there, so she offers Morgan an opportunity to go watch TV in the next room, but Morgan doesn't want to, so Alan pays Morgan a dollar to go to the living room and now alone, Amy and Alan talk about how the last couple of weeks and that maybe we pay her a dollar get her out.
Speaker 5: Of there, than here's a buck, thanks for getting out of I thought Rusty was going to do something that I thought. It looked like he was headed that way, and I was like, oh, here it comes, here, it comes.
Speaker 6: I thought he was going to start eating her ice creel me too.
Speaker 2: Did he never do it.
Speaker 6: I don't think he ever did it. And I thought it would be choice because he started with the spoon and he has it in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, oh, he's going to start eating the ice, which is a brilliant choice. And then I don't think he ever actually put the spoon to his lips so.
Speaker 6: Close it was so cool.
Speaker 1: No, maybe they Maybe maybe he did, and it was just one of the things that was lost in editing because he was probably eating when we were on coverage of Amy, and so it's possible that he did and we just lost it because I did. I thought the exact same thing while he had the bowl up there. I thought, oh, my gosh, he's going to eat it. And then I started paying attention to something else and forgot all about it.
Speaker 6: Me too, So something shiny uh. So.
Speaker 1: Amy and Alan talk about how the last few weeks with Sean has not been easy on their nerves or their budget. Alan doesn't blame Sean. He blames Chet, who hasn't called or sent a card in three weeks.
Speaker 3: Man, four kids in a house, can you imagine?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And again I'm glad, they said financially too, because that's you're adding another kid that's.
Speaker 2: Huge, actually a teenage boy. The way they eat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they're on a budget. They've already yes, set up that they are very much on a budget. You throw a third you couldn't you couldn't handle a dog. Gross, I mean a fourth kid that's huge. Yeah, that's that's big.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Amy says she's glad Sean has Eric and Corey to make things easier, and then Sean comes down angrily, apologizing and yelling to Eric for breathing his lucky air. Sean goes to the fridge and drinks right out of the milk carton, and he's wearing the same clothes as the last time we saw him, so we kind of get the sense that, oh, he's wearing the same clothes every day, even though didn't Chet say to go get a two brush and a shirt, right, So you're not wearing that shirt, You're wearing this other one. So Amy marks the carton with an S and then opens the fridge to reveal all of the other items that have been marked as Sean, revealing that you apparently just drink out of all the cartons.
Speaker 2: Amy announces it's a great joke. Joke.
Speaker 6: That's a good joke. Yep.
Speaker 1: Amy announces she had went shopping for Sean. I got you some pants and Alan is surprised that she brought him clothes and she says, yes, he can't just wear the same outfit for three weeks every day, And Alan says, I do, which was very funny. Amy asks if Sean remembers the jeans with all the holes in them. Sean is afraid she threw them out, but she did not. She just patched them, and he's mortified. There's an S on the butt and a ton of very like cloth looking patches. It's so cute that little ass. By the way, did you guys have in the nineties a pair of holy super worn.
Speaker 2: In jeans that you just loved more than anything.
Speaker 4: Jean shorts that I painted his horse he did, and then I wore them all the time, like pay splattered shorts.
Speaker 6: You have shorts, I wear them every day.
Speaker 5: I wear my ripped jeans every single day.
Speaker 2: I remember those, will.
Speaker 3: Remember like big overalls were popular for a moment.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I literally remember your jeans almost as well as I remember mine.
Speaker 2: They had that huge.
Speaker 6: Hole in the knee.
Speaker 3: I remember it.
Speaker 1: I think I have a picture of you with Anna and Anna's on your lap and you're wearing those jeans. Yes, I'll have to find that picture in the world. I had a pair two that I love more than anything. Oh gosh, they're just the greatest. Nothing like that feeling of just your super worn in holy jeans.
Speaker 6: Ah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then she pulls out she got him a really yellow hoodie. It looks very Corey esque. And then Corey sure enough comes down wearing one.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, very colors, just so season one.
Speaker 6: Nonchalant about it too. He's like, hey, San Sweacher, it's just so cool.
Speaker 2: At the same one.
Speaker 1: And this is where I noticed. So she didn't actually buy him any pants.
Speaker 6: No, I think she said, I think mended my pants, mended the pants and got a new top.
Speaker 1: But she says, she says, at the beginning, I bought you some new pants, and he goes, you bought him clothes, and so then she's like, remember those jeans, And I thought, oh, we're gonna she's replaced them with a new pair of pants. But then no, she mended them. And then she pulls out a hoodie and I was like, those aren't pants.
Speaker 2: So anyway, just a little interesting things, A little bit not a.
Speaker 1: Big deal because maybe there's a pair of pants in there she didn't get to yet. Maybe she bought him a hoodie and a pair of pants and had his jeans mended. But I did just notice that. Okay, then we're in the school hallway. Miss Tompkins walks up to mister Turner. She calls him Johnny and gives him a little little hug and a kiss hello.
Speaker 6: On the cheek in the hallway.
Speaker 2: Is that weird for teaching?
Speaker 3: Kiss in the hallway?
Speaker 6: I was curious. I didn't know if that was weird or not. It seemed a little weird.
Speaker 1: I think it seems a little odd for dating dating teachers they're not married.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like adult dating, but you can't kiss if.
Speaker 2: You're not married. That's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I mean the implication of this episode is that they're they're like together together.
Speaker 3: Like you're either moving in or getting married, at least.
Speaker 6: In her mind. At least in her mind they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but after they do doing a lot to like make it.
Speaker 5: Happen as quickly as We'll get into that later, because it seems like it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He hands her a paper bag of something she left at his apartment, and he gets nervous about her opening it up and opening opening it up in the hallway, and she says she left it there on purpose. He said he'd only be nervous if he wore them. So I think they're Yes, it's a pair of underwear. But here's here's my question again. At first I thought this toothbrush because they refer to it as an it, and I thought we call underwear them, which they made me think, why do we call underwear them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Why are pants plural? Underwear? It's plural?
Speaker 2: Right, Like, why would you legs?
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, because it's got two legs, but like it's still all garment.
Speaker 6: Sweet, shirt. Is still it? Yeah, you should still I left.
Speaker 2: It at your house.
Speaker 1: But like I would say I'm gonna put it on, you would say I'm gonna put them on, I'm going to take them off.
Speaker 3: Underwear A bra would be the only rational explanation.
Speaker 6: It could be.
Speaker 7: It could be you got it in a tiny little bag, though, well sure, sure.
Speaker 2: They fold in half and and mold into themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, it's got to be. I thought it was underwear too, and I was like, why is this so weird?
Speaker 1: But you're it's okay, Okay, it's a bra, and that's why it's in it.
Speaker 2: Okay, like a neglige, like a right, like a hole.
Speaker 3: It's got to be small enough to it's.
Speaker 1: Got to be small enough to which a neglige could also fit in a paper bag. But I bet it's a bra. I bet it's a bra. And because she says I have others, he brings it to her. If it's a negligee, he's not thinking, what are you gonna you need this? It's definitely a bra. Her point is I have others. I don't need this one. I where said I.
Speaker 6: Left it on purpose, didn't she? Is it supposed to be like a sexy thing.
Speaker 2: Nope, I think it's just a bra that she had there, that she left there because.
Speaker 3: She's gonna might.
Speaker 1: Well, it could be a sexy bra. I don't think it's. I don't think it's like, you know, something just for sexy time. I think it's it may be a sexy bra.
Speaker 2: It's a b. It's a bro.
Speaker 1: I feel very confident that it's a bra. I feel like we've worked this out. Thank you for discussing this with me. I feel much better. So then mister Feenie walks up and he asks what's in the brown bag, but then realizes he doesn't want to know. He's thinking a change of subject is in order, and then Ms. Tompkins walks off. Sean is drinking from the water fountain wearing the modified yellow hoodie, the one Amy gave him earlier. It's very Sean style. Now it's become a vest. Yes, And did you cut the.
Speaker 3: Hood off too? Yep?
Speaker 6: Yeah, cut the.
Speaker 2: Hood off, leaves off and cut it down the middle.
Speaker 3: Also, why am I wearing this?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 4: I have cold out? And if it's cold, and why why would Sean put on this a click thing? Even if he modified it? It doesn't right, doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't make much sense except for the fact that we needed to see that you cut it up so that we could have this exchange that comes next. Corey walks up and asks if he knows what his mom did if she sees this modified hoodie, and he says, my guess she would clean it, sew it back up, and put an s on it, which I thought was a very funny.
Speaker 6: Really funny joke. Yep, really funny joke.
Speaker 2: And Corey says she's just trying to be nice, and Sean says he's just trying to get through this without making any waves. And I love that.
Speaker 1: I think everything about what just happened in that exchange is perfect. Yeah, I fully understand both of their positions. I fully understand how tense this is for Sean and how difficult this is. And it was just enough for mister Turner to overhear for him to understand that something's going on. So mister Turner is nearby. He hears it and asks how asks Corey how it's going with Sean being at his house, and Corey says it's going great.
Speaker 2: Their best friends. Turner offers for Corey to call.
Speaker 1: Him any time if he needs anything. And as Corey leaves, Phoeney walks up to mister Turner concerned about him giving his phone number to students, and Turner says, give him a break. Sean is having a tough time and he's his teacher. Phoene reiterates he is only his teacher, and Turner says, come on, you're always getting involved with the Matthews kids. And right then Eric almost walks into an open locker. Feenie yells Eric, right, is the heller Eric or easicht locker?
Speaker 3: Eric locker locker?
Speaker 2: Eric locker right?
Speaker 1: And Eric dodges it just in time, and you give him the cutest, most perfect thumbs up.
Speaker 6: Thumbs up.
Speaker 2: This again is a perfect scene, perfect scene.
Speaker 1: It is a from beginning to end with what happens with Miss Tompkins, to with the exchange that happens between Corey and Sean, to then they a.
Speaker 3: Little weird to me, but everything else is good.
Speaker 1: Yes, But here's the thing that the bra thing sets up. It sets up again. It reminds the audience from the last episode of Career Day. She is thinking of his house as an as a second home to her, His house is her house, and you, without needing to spell it out with a ton of exposition, very quickly understand that he's like, you're leaving your things in my house. He does not feel as though his space is her space. So I couldn't think of a better way to explain that dynamic without having it to be one too much exposition. Which, yeah, so anyway, I think it's I think it's just a perfect scene.
Speaker 3: It's really well.
Speaker 5: It's actually really well directed and blocked too, because there's a lot going on. There's a you know, characters coming in, characters coming out, go moving this way. And she also noticed when she exited, she exited towards camera. Yep, so she also made it where Okay, there is more to this home school this way, more.
Speaker 6: School this way.
Speaker 5: So all the little beats in this scene really made it feel very full. So yeah, I like, I liked it quite a bit.
Speaker 1: So Eric bring a Poeney, brings home a speech to Turner about keeping boundaries, and then wham, Eric runs into a different locker, and then we're back in the Matthew's kitchen. Eric is pacing nervously waiting for Jason to finish grading his practice SAT exam.
Speaker 2: Jason says Eric got a one hundred.
Speaker 1: And ninety on the practice SATs. Eric says, that's impossible. You get two hundred dollars just for spelling your name right. Two undred points dollars. I know, seriously, I'm such a capitalist.
Speaker 6: Sixteen dollars dollars.
Speaker 1: You get two hundred points for just spelling your name right. Eric then notices he spelled his last name wrong.
Speaker 2: There's two Teas and Mathews.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is this is Eric becoming what he's going to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he's studying all it's all about studying, which is strange. It's kind of a bizarre combination of what he was and what he's becoming. Yeah, so it's it's fun, it's a it's an interesting hybrid of the of the two Erics as it were. Yeah, to kind of see the evolution as interesting. And again I say this every time. Marsden a bunch of episodes.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jay was the last episode.
Speaker 6: I think maybe I don't know, Yeah, I think it seemed like there was a shit, we haven't seen season three yet, and we legitimately haven't seen season.
Speaker 5: Three yet, but it seems like there's going to be a shift. Yeah, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: This was his last one.
Speaker 1: So Jason says, Eric needs to sleep, his brain needs a break right now. He wouldn't even get into Clown College, and Eric asks, is that a four year school four years ago?
Speaker 6: That's a really good school too.
Speaker 5: Clown College, Yeah, it is is hard, really hard to get in. It was it Pendulette was like one of their top students, and there's some great people that have come out of Clon College.
Speaker 1: So Eric says he needs more oxygen and he grabs Jason to run outside. Jason asks if Eric's house has ever been tested for raidon, and Eric panics at the thought of another test. Jason leaves just as mister Feeney enters the backyard carrying some mulch.
Speaker 2: He asks, SATs this weekend? Eric?
Speaker 1: And Eric says, yeah me, which I thought, that's very cute, very funny, easy, And.
Speaker 6: Then there was a really weird cut. Did you see this?
Speaker 5: So it was like, all of a sudden, we're in the scene and it's very natural, and then there's this bizarre cut where they must have lost a line or two because then all of a sudden I'm like, I'm not ready, and it was like whoa, whoa, Where the hell did that come from? It was like they lost something. It was really weird.
Speaker 6: So if you go back and watch it, it was it was just a bizarre cut. It was a weird cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, huh, weird.
Speaker 1: Well, mister Phoene tells Eric all students feel anxiety around their college exams, but there's no way around him.
Speaker 2: They're very important. Eric says he's not ready, and Phoene says he promised to never tell.
Speaker 1: Any students this, but he knows secrets that would unravel the entire college screening process as a whole. Eric wants to know these secrets. Phoene says he can for a price, and Eric thinks he's being sly and wants some money. So he takes out his wall and says he he sled dog that dog, which I think is really cute. And I'm dying to know how much money does Eric have in his wallet?
Speaker 2: What does he think? What is he going to offer Phoene for these We.
Speaker 5: Needed that five bucks from Cory back in the day. Also, I'd like to point out we are now at the end of season two and there has not been a single Phoenie call. Yeah, so there's no there's not even the start of a Phoenie call yet, Right, you didn't start doing it, so I guess I guess not.
Speaker 3: It's yea.
Speaker 6: I think maybe maybe I thought it had had its genesis started way back.
Speaker 5: I thought there was at least one scene where it was the regular mister Foene from the dip from the fence line.
Speaker 6: But there's been nothing yet, So I was amazing a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Phoene scoff set the money idea and says he's Aira, says that he's doing some landscaping around the house and if Eric will help him, he will tell him the secrets.
Speaker 2: It's a deal.
Speaker 1: They shake hands, and then we're in Corey and Eric's room. Corey is sleeping and he wakes up to find Sean looking out the window at a dog. It's a stray dog that Sean is clearly connecting with.
Speaker 3: Is it a metaphor?
Speaker 6: Guy?
Speaker 2: Why do you think? Do you think this is a little heavy.
Speaker 1: Hand, just a little bit, But you know, again, this is a nineties six directed as children, even though it's supposed to be for everyone.
Speaker 2: If you're trying to spell out to a younger generation.
Speaker 3: One feels like a lonely dog and how and because.
Speaker 1: You also want to say, how could he possibly find anything good in what we've presented. His house has been taken from him, he doesn't have clothes, he doesn't have his bed.
Speaker 2: But also we have to say why why Sean misses it?
Speaker 1: It's what he's used to. There's a freedom in it. He doesn't feel constrained by it. He's been so used to living on his own terms that he likes that. And so we need the audience to understand what is drawing Sean to pursue that again, as opposed to it just being like, well, why is this?
Speaker 2: Why is he crazy?
Speaker 1: Anyone would want the life Corey has, but that isn't necessarily true. So this is a this It maybe feel heavy handed to us as grown adults, but if you are a ten or eleven year old.
Speaker 3: Right, you have to rationalize why Sean would want to run?
Speaker 1: Why would Sean? Why would Sean hate it so much inside this house? And why would he feel constrained? And what is he missing from his safe?
Speaker 6: But it's very real.
Speaker 5: I know this is a strange analogy, but when I went to go do boy. I was sixteen or seventeen, and I was living at the oak Wood. I was, you know, had a guardian, but was living by.
Speaker 2: Myself, smoking three pads a day.
Speaker 6: Was smoking three packs a day. I had this great freedom in my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then the show rapped for the first season and I went back and lived with my parents again, who are the greatest people in the world.
Speaker 6: But I was like, ah, rules again, like I'm I'm back.
Speaker 3: It's way.
Speaker 5: I had my own apartment, I was wash I was cooking for myself. And then all of a sudden, that was on a Thursday and on Friday, I had a curfew again.
Speaker 2: Right, and now you have one saying to you Otter Pops for breakfast.
Speaker 6: Exactly what the hell are you doing? And it did and it was like, oh my, that's right.
Speaker 5: The structure in life is back again, and there is kind of Man, I love you guys so much, but I've got to ask you got to go.
Speaker 6: I went to Amsterdam, So I did what any seventeen year old does.
Speaker 2: You go to Amsterdam, Yeah, and you decide to move there, so it makes sense.
Speaker 6: It did make sense. Yeah, Can I ask a quick question about the timing because.
Speaker 5: The parents later say nine pm, nine pm, and Corey says nine pm is their curfew, but Corey's already asleep.
Speaker 1: Because Corey is smart and eight thirty pm is the best bedtime at fourteen, at fourteen, so I was.
Speaker 6: Wonderings like, oh, he he's asleep at eight forty five. I know it's weird.
Speaker 2: I know it is weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know why it needed to be nine pm. I don't know why later they didn't say ten pm because or since he.
Speaker 6: Left last night, that's all you needed to say. You didn't need to specifically say nine.
Speaker 5: I figured it was like Corey wakes up, it's one o'clock in the morning, and Sean is staring out the window, but it wasn't it was nine.
Speaker 1: Well, they needed to set up that mister Turner was still awake having this conversation with Kat Tompkins, so they needed to be late enough for someone to say, why is Sean out and about?
Speaker 2: But not why is mister Turner still up?
Speaker 1: But that's why I think ten o'clock would have worked, because if your curfew is nine pm, you probably are at least staying awake until nine pm watching something on TV, especially when.
Speaker 2: Your best friend is living with you.
Speaker 6: Yes, of course you're with your best friend.
Speaker 1: The only thing to me and I do understand why later they did want to say a time because it's helped set up the fact that Corey goes, do you guys just know everything that happens, like they knew to the moment what he left. So anyway, I just think ten is the perfect compromise. Thought a lot about it. I think ten PM could have been better. Let's invent the time machine, go back, make this little tiny tweak it. So Corey says the dog is barking because he needs a home, and Sean says the dog doesn't need a home because he's happy and free. He doesn't need to follow any rules, and Corey says, I don't know. To me, the dog looks lonely, cold and like he doesn't have a friend in the world, and Sean quickly opens the window to try and get away, but Corey says he can't. It's a school night, and Sean says he can't live by these rules. If he wants to cut his toenails at the dinner table, he should be allowed, and Corey explains, we were just covering our food just covering our food.
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 2: It's so disgusting but so great.
Speaker 1: Corey says his parents make the rules, and Sean says he didn't ask to live with them or be in this situation. And Corey asks, what am I supposed to tell my parents? And then we hear the dog bark again, and Sean says, to tell them he took himself out for a walk.
Speaker 2: And then we are at Turner's apartment.
Speaker 6: Ms.
Speaker 2: Tompkins is over.
Speaker 1: They're sitting on the couch romantically and Turner says he could look into her eyes forever, and Miss Tompkins asks if that means he wants to marry her?
Speaker 2: And he is shocked. You got that from that?
Speaker 6: What have you been? Four months?
Speaker 2: Any any man in his right mind would turn and run.
Speaker 6: Hey, your eyes look beautiful. We've been dating for four months? Does that mean you want to marry me? Get out? There's the only possible answer to that. Next thing?
Speaker 3: Are you no?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: If you're in love? I mean, look, well, hold on, let's go back.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: What about three months to buy a car to make a decision? How long did it Amy and you were.
Speaker 3: There's a logic gap. We can really you're.
Speaker 6: Talking about the logic gap between taking three months to buy a car and four months to want to marry somebody you just started dating.
Speaker 1: Okay, marriage, no, no, no, no, let's see now. Turner is in his early thirties, right, I.
Speaker 3: Think, or maybe late twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's here maybe, Okay, somewhere in there.
Speaker 2: She is acting as though she's She says she's the same age.
Speaker 1: Her implication when she says that is we are old enough to know what we want, and you get the sense that she is not looking to be in a relationship for like two years before she decides whether or not she wants to get married and have.
Speaker 2: A family with somebody. That's fair at four months.
Speaker 1: I'm also picking up on all of this stuff that he has not said I love you yet.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: He says he could look in her eyes forever, which does feel a little like wow, that means something. That means something if you think you could look in my eyes forever?
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: And I don't think she's trying to say I need you to propose to me, but she is looking for I love you, and based on where we are now, I see this being the potential relationship that could go the distance.
Speaker 6: No problem with anything you just said.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I think that's what this is.
Speaker 1: And again they just needed to up the stakes a little bit where she could look at it like, if you're not willing to say to me, I could see this relationship leading to forever. Something may change in three or four months, but I could see this being something that lasts forever. Which it feels as though he can't even say that to her, and she says, if after four months of this much time with me, you can't tell me that, then you are maybe not the person for me.
Speaker 5: Have no problem with anything you just said. When the ants when it comes from I could look in your eyes forever? Does that mean you want to marry me? You're a crazy lady, That's what.
Speaker 6: That So if it's if you go from I could look in your eyes forever, well, what is what does that mean? Because we've now been together for four months? What mean it's different than throwing marriage out?
Speaker 1: They could they could have changed it a little bit to say, does that mean you could see yourself marrying me someday?
Speaker 7: Or does it?
Speaker 6: Does that? Does that mean you could see this lasting? You don't you don't throw the marriage word out after four months ever.
Speaker 3: Ever, I it's funny that you're so strong.
Speaker 5: I think most men, and I'm not trying to speak for everybody, I think most men would find that an instant red flag. If if you say I could look into your eyes forever after four months and the response is does that mean you want to marry me? Most guys would instantly have their radar.
Speaker 6: Up where it's like, wow, you took that real far, real fast, and he kind of does that where he's like, wow, you take a compliment worse than anybody I have ever seen him. And again, had they written it in a way where it was exactly what you were saying, Danielle like, I don't want to, you know, give my heart to her line that she says is great. I don't want to give you jump right to marriage, which, for again most men is going to signal it.
Speaker 1: But it's just the word marriage, because saying I could see myself spending forever with you is marriage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you want to take steps and seeing, so it's not even saying forever with you, it's do you see this going somewhere? Which doesn't necessarily mean marriage, but it also means there's a possibility for growth, which is what you want in a relationship. Hey, this is something where it's going to be together, the two of us. I see this growing together into something that can be beautiful.
Speaker 2: But I always break it down.
Speaker 1: I always break it down into the for TV show purposes, we are looking at stakes and if we need to say, on a quick elevator pitch, what this is about.
Speaker 3: He is not ready.
Speaker 1: Is mister Turner ready for commitment, which is equals marriage?
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 2: No, and she is looking for that.
Speaker 5: But the way they wrote it, most men would have pulled the ripcord at that point. When you go right from I like your eyes to does that mean you want to marry me? Most men would be like that.
Speaker 6: I had an early again. So yeah, I know it's.
Speaker 2: We can agree to disagree. We can so me says they have spent four months together, and Jonathan, you are a good gentleman.
Speaker 5: I love you.
Speaker 1: I could spend the rest of my life with you and have children with you, and I know that they will always be safe.
Speaker 2: When you hold me, I feel safe.
Speaker 1: If you can't say the same thing with the same conviction, then don't let me give any more. Of my heart to you go, and he says, you take a compliment worse than any woman I've ever met. He says he can't say that he loves her. And then there is a knock at the door and it's Sean. Mister Turner says, this is a terrible time, and Sean says, tell me about it, and he reveals a uniformed police officer next to him, and then Sean says.
Speaker 2: He's a cop.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite life line.
Speaker 6: Great, he's a cop, and this is another stealing good this is this is the other thing we were going to talk about. That same actor played exactly the same police officer but with an eyepatch in Seinfeld the next season. Really same uniform, same character, same everything. In an episode called the Scofflaw, and I was like, that's the thing that was.
Speaker 2: Our police.
Speaker 5: So we got Taoli and the police officer right there, same carc hell and you yeah, they're taking, they're stealing from us.
Speaker 1: Well, then we're into a commercial break and then we come back. We're still in Turner's apartment. The police officer explains that Sean was caught loitering with older kids and they had spray paint at the high school. It looked like they were about to do some redecorating, so Sean says he was just going to sell the cans to some bad kids for a higher price.
Speaker 2: Serves them right now.
Speaker 4: I liked this moment because it's one of the few times where Seawan was actually doing something bad. Yeah, like we talk about Sean being this like rebel or whatever, but Sean sides blowing up a mailbox. Yeah, it never does anything actually against the law, or that he's always in snowl He's always shows up for you know, Like, so this gotts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cory's gotten way more attention.
Speaker 4: So this is one of the few times in the history of Boy Meets World where Seawan actually was doing something bad and he's gonna spray paint, you know or whatever. And I just liked it.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, this is nice to see.
Speaker 4: There should have been a little bit more of that, because there's just not enough, Like we're just sort of told that Shawn's a bad kid or from the wrong side of the track, but this was like a clear example of him doing something wrong.
Speaker 3: It was nice.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is nice.
Speaker 1: I think part of the reason they don't ever show more than that is because they don't want you to actually be the bad kid. They just want the threat of you becoming the bad kids. So this is the perfect amount of that.
Speaker 5: It's also they want all the other characters to assume you're going to be a bad kid from where you just from where you're from, right, which is that whole thing too.
Speaker 3: So we should keep tabs on it.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know if Sean ever is a bad kid, right, you know, besides this and blowing up a mailbox, does do Shawn ever do anything truly bad, like in the sense of like amoral or against the law?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I mean even in this situation, you didn't actually do the graffiti, yet it looked like you were about to. Yeah, right, Yeah, So he teld the police officer that he was staying with mister Turner. Turner thinks about it for a second and looks back at Miss Tompkins. She looks sympathetic and supportive, and he says, yeah, he's staying with me while his parents are out of town. And then Sean goes even further and says, yeah, called out of town to save a baby girl in East Virginia who fell down a blowhole, which is hysterical, just the too much detailed liars give and the police officer tells Turner to keep Sean in his house and apologizes to Missus Turner for the disturbance, and then he leaves, and Sean is shocked at Missus Turner and says, hey, congrats, But as Sean goes to shake her hand, Kat says, nope, she's still miss Tompkins.
Speaker 2: And Jonathan says we'll talk or he sees her later, and she says good luck, and she leaves.
Speaker 3: That's my question, breaking up?
Speaker 6: Is that a breakup? See? Would it have been stronger if she said goodbye? That's what I thought.
Speaker 5: I was waiting for him to say out there, you know whatever, and her going goodbye Jonathan, like I thought there was something.
Speaker 1: I liked it so much, but it was good luck. She is leaving breaking up with him without any malice. She doesn't dislike him, she's not mad at him, she doesn't blame him, she's not guilty things and I are in looking for different things. And I feel differently about you than you do about me. And there's nothing that's there's nothing wrong with either one of us. It's very matric and I love it cool. Yeah, I thought I thought that's what it was, but I was, like, I think she's.
Speaker 3: Breaking up with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah she is.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 1: Seawan is then about to leave, but Turner says stay and he holds him back and Sean asks why she got to leave, and Turner says, because I have more to say to you, and then he confronts Sean about the blowhole lie. Sean thanks Turner for covering because the Matthews would have freaked out with police at their door, and Turner yells, saying would they have been mad like this? Turner is furious at the situation and disappointed in his behavior, and Sean tries to leave again.
Speaker 2: He's had a really rotten night. Tony does the best do you see me? Ballroom dancing? It's so good, it's so great, he tells Sean.
Speaker 1: If he keeps heading down this track in life, then he's gonna go down places he doesn't want to be. Sewn apologizes for messing up his night and Turner says, don't worry, I already messed up my night well before you got here. Turner sits down and Sean joins him, saying, yeah, women. Turner says, what do you know about women, and Sean quickly retorts, what do.
Speaker 3: You want to know?
Speaker 2: And Turner says, great, it's good.
Speaker 3: It's so good. The characters about this, it's perfect.
Speaker 4: Characters will going together and they're just you want to see them together. You want to see Sean giving him dating advice. It's hysterical.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: And and the quick quick little retorts why can't you be the sharp in my class? And your response Math's not my best subject. All of it's so great.
Speaker 6: Could were you? I did?
Speaker 3: I had to look away because I think if I made eye contact.
Speaker 1: He says, I'm your English teacher, and Sean says, and why are you teaching math?
Speaker 2: It's just such a beautiful scene between you and.
Speaker 4: Dumb Sean exists coexisting with dramatic Sean, like exactly, you're in the same yeah, in the same episode.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's so great.
Speaker 1: It's it's a perfect way of instilling your dramatic character with bits of comedy because you can you can deliver it deadpan and it and it and it.
Speaker 2: Fits with the drama.
Speaker 6: So it's that's great. It is, it's great.
Speaker 1: Then we're in the Matthew's kitchen, Amy and Allan call the boys down for breakfast, but Corey comes down alone. They ask where Sean is, and Corey starts to cover for him. They know that Sean left around nine pm the night before. Cory asks if they know everything all the time, and Corey says that Sean is like a wild dog doing wild dog things. Turner then knocks on the door with Sean next to him, and Alan reveals that Turner called them. Amy sends the boys up to their room, and Alan says the last time he heard from Chet was when he backed out of their driveway and hit the trash can.
Speaker 2: Eric walks in from outside, asking for.
Speaker 1: A weed whacker and reveals that he's working for those SAT secrets and has feene Rights right where he wants him.
Speaker 6: And apparently rolling in the dirt you are to cover, is that what's happened is absolutely in the dirt.
Speaker 2: As he does there covered in nud They were not subtle with that.
Speaker 1: They Feeney yells at him to keep working in the garden, and Eric says, right in the palm of my hand, it's really great. Uh.
Speaker 2: Just as Turner.
Speaker 1: Explains what Sean needs, Chet calls and starts to leave a message on their machine until Amy picks up. They ask where he is. He says he's either leaving Ohio or heading into Georgia. He's nowhere near Philadelphia. Amy asks if he found his wife, and he says no, but he did find the r V.
Speaker 3: One of those.
Speaker 4: We have two like kind of cheat swing sets, this one and then there's the outside the boys bedroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny. They're like, really just one.
Speaker 1: Shot basically exactly, one little shot one one little four foot section.
Speaker 3: Masks don't cost too much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this one, I mean, so how did they get the car effect moving on the outside.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm curious about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like is it no?
Speaker 3: Because you actually I think you can see cars moving, so it might actually be a screen. Like, I don't know, h did they do things?
Speaker 6: They didn't do things after the fact, like digital screen.
Speaker 3: I don't think we would have had green screen back then, but maybe.
Speaker 5: We had regular green schime don't remember I rapped about it, but no, the the other I mean, I don't know if we had it on our set. Because it's funny because in the next scene, I it really made me realize how amazing those backdrops are because that backyard you can stare at it and.
Speaker 3: It looks real to photograph.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I mean, But it looks I mean that with it. Really there's depth to it with with the other plants in front of it. So the only green screen we ever did was our amazing opening credits, which.
Speaker 3: It looks so fake.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and good looking Detective. We did a big green yeah forgot, but I.
Speaker 4: Don't think they would have done green screen for this. I'm curious how they actually pulled that.
Speaker 2: Off, because we could probably ask Kendall at some point. Well, have to follow up on that.
Speaker 1: So Alan asks if Chet's coming back, and he says he won't be coming until he finds his wife and wins her back. And then a waitress comes up and hands him the bill and he reluctantly pays, saying he thought he left it on the table, so he was trying to dine and dash. Alan says it's not fair to anyone with Shawn's current situation and he should come tell Sean.
Speaker 2: Chet says, I just did. If he knows his son, he's by listening.
Speaker 1: In on the adults talking, and yep, sure enough, Sean is listening behind them and says, no one wants him and he doesn't need anybody, and he runs upstairs. Sean, Alan and Amy run after Sean, but Turner waits for him outside by the treehouse because he was once a little Sean type and so he knows exactly where he's going and what he's doing, and he runs out into the Matthew's backyard. Sure enough, Sean jumps down, and Turner says it's easy to run when someone reaches out and tells him they care. But all Sean is looking for is somewhere to sleep. Turner surprises him and says he can give Shawn a home. Sean asks if it's just for three weeks and then he'll get sick of him, and Turner says he's already sick of him, but no, he's still offering him a home, and he says he needs to do something for somebody else and he isn't trying to be his dad. Seawn agrees to move in with Turner with a very cool handshake, saying they both like a challenge.
Speaker 3: And then great, he's so good and it's like the characters, you're just you're just rooting for.
Speaker 1: This to happen, absolutely, and what I what I love too, is what you were talking about, writer. With Tony being such a good dramatic actor. The one of the things we loved so much from Career Day was the way Alan Rusty pat's Ben's stomach at the end, instead of when it could be this really kind of like I'm the son of my father and it could be this emotional thing. The fact that Turner responds with I'm sick of your right now, like the fact that the response is don't want to be your dad.
Speaker 2: All of it's so good.
Speaker 1: It makes it It actually makes it land so much more. You're so much more invested than laying it on too thick.
Speaker 6: Plus the way they've set it up where they need each other already, we already know they need each other.
Speaker 1: It's great exactly because it could They very easily could have a lesser show wouldn't have given us any backstory about why this is actually going to be good for Turner too, and it would have just been that Turner is going to do the.
Speaker 2: Good thing for this kid.
Speaker 1: But instead it is actually a who rescued who to borrow a phrase from dog Rescue, which ties it all in with the laying it on thick.
Speaker 2: In the bedroom with the doll, Hey.
Speaker 6: For the dog what I just got it.
Speaker 2: So in Then, to top off.
Speaker 1: An already incredible scene between Sean and Turner, Corey falls out of the tree house.
Speaker 6: Good it was so I laughed, actually laughed out loud?
Speaker 3: Out did I?
Speaker 7: I actually laughed out loud. He falls down, hurting himself and says, oh gosh, oh god, and I it's perfect. It is perfect, so funny. I couldn't love it more.
Speaker 1: So Turner excuses himself to go square things up with Sean's dad, and Corey overheard the conversation with Turner. He was hanging in the tree for a while, had to wait for a squirrel to leave him alone, and he gets why this situation is better than his parents' house and Sean won't be astray anymore.
Speaker 6: Tons of hand rubbing ben after the land saw hand rubbing.
Speaker 3: But man, it's it was fun.
Speaker 2: Oh it was so good, Oh so funny.
Speaker 1: So Sean asks what if he hates living with Turner and Corey says he'll have his parents put in a doggy door for him, And Sean says, just leave a window open, and Corey says, you got it.
Speaker 2: And just one beautiful scene after another.
Speaker 6: Ye, great, awesome, this is awesome.
Speaker 3: Sherman wrote this episode, yes.
Speaker 2: And Matthew Nelson wrote the one before Career Day.
Speaker 6: We've had a couple in a row that have been really well written. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dare I say Career Day and Home are two of my favorite episodes of the series really?
Speaker 6: Yes, definitely the season for me, I would say they're great.
Speaker 1: It's a solid right on par with me for me with some of my favorite season one episodes, if not even in my opinion, slightly better than some of those.
Speaker 2: I just I think these these are in contention for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not too.
Speaker 4: Dramatic for you, like I mean, I love them really okay, because for me, like the the Dog scened especially, it is just not a great I give me.
Speaker 1: I can see how you would feel that way, But I also think if you really put it into context, of that was for eleven year olds, Yeah, and some of the other stuff is for the forty five year olds, and some of the other stuff is for the twenty year olds who are there watching, And we still get even though they are dramatic episodes, there are still I literally laughed out loud multiple times, and this time when Corey falls out of the tree at the perfect moment. I was great, and I rewound it and I watched it again. So to me, there's never too long without a laugh. There's the right amount of hooking me in and making me invested, and then they break it up with a laugh out loud moment.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful, beautiful episode.
Speaker 6: I agree. I agree hundred percent. I thought it was great.
Speaker 5: I thought the last two especially have been Yes, what a way, like just what a way to end the season. And if we're over on the bubble, I mean come only.
Speaker 1: And then Thrilla and Philip being right before career day, you have a fantastic vertical romp.
Speaker 3: Weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, come on, it's like.
Speaker 3: This season two one. You guys over seasons.
Speaker 2: I mean we started off. Boy, this show salked me in. I am I'm glued to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it needs to be said, like even more devastating that Tony never came back after his motorcycle accident.
Speaker 2: Now I don't even want to talk about that.
Speaker 4: Binged on this relationship. Like the cliffinger of the season is Sean and Turner are going to be living together.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see that season three with him. We still have season three, let's wait to mourn his loss.
Speaker 4: So it's so clearly invested in Sean's like his whole character is going to be saved by.
Speaker 2: This person, and Tony will be saved by Sean.
Speaker 3: It's so great, Like we have to resolve this.
Speaker 6: Motorcycle accident. He resolved it in thirty seconds on Girl Me's World.
Speaker 3: I remember I was there, yike.
Speaker 1: So we are in Phoenie's backyard. Eric is gardening while Phoenie watches. Eric is tired of it. He demands to know the secrets about the SATs, which are now tomorrow. Phoenie says, get a good night's sleep, which he reveals is the first secret. The second is clear your mind, and Phoenie asks him if he knows what the third secret is and Eric says, you're Satan.
Speaker 3: You are Satan.
Speaker 2: Is so funny, remember that.
Speaker 1: Phoenie asks him if he knows what SAT means, and Eric says SAT and Phoenie says, Scholastic aptitude test. It measures what's in your brain. So get some sleep, clear your mind, and trust yourself. Eric prepares to leave, but Phoene says there's still work to do, the manner of pruning Miaslias, and Eric says, sure, I'll get right on that. Psike, you already told me the three secrets, and Phoenie asks if he said there were only three secrets because psych And we end the episode on maybe a little bit of an oof joke the way we started on a little bit of an oof Joe Boy.
Speaker 2: Everything in the middle of this is just exactly golden and gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I love it so much so any final thoughts now that we have finished season two, I mean, we're going to do a whole recap of season two. You don't need to tell me your thoughts on the overall season, but any other thoughts on this episode before we close us out.
Speaker 5: I really I really enjoyed it. I really liked seeing where it's going. I like seeing that they know there's going to be a direction. They're flushing out other characters besides just Corey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think I'm in at this point.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's really interesting how much the side character Sean and Turner have become, you know, the central issual relationship to the show, and like it's really it's a it's a risk, you know, and I'm I'm glad it happened me toally, but it's funny because I didn't see it.
Speaker 3: It felt inevitable at.
Speaker 4: That age, like when we were doing it, but in retrospect, like it's a it's a big shift from the beginning of the second season to end this way.
Speaker 3: It's a big shift. Yeah, it is, And I guess I also like, where's Tapanga right?
Speaker 4: Like you know, which ends up becoming probably the central relationship a boy meets World. It's so interesting that the second season ends without any sort of development in that regard.
Speaker 1: Well, join us for our next episode, season three, episode one, My Best Friend's Girl. It originally aired September twenty second, nineteen ninety five, and next week Bruh Meets World will be joining us for the Pod Meets World season recap. Cannot wait to welcome them back. They're always phenomenal, So thank you for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot.
Speaker 6: Com, and we have merch turn on your merch line.
Speaker 2: Podmeetsworldshow dot Com will send us out.
Speaker 6: We Love You All pod dismissed.
Speaker 5: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong Executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Sudbach, producer, Jackie Rodriguez, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Pod meets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com