Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning. I'm Lisa Matteo and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin with geopolitics and President Trump's comments on a variety of global issues over the weekend. The President spoke about the war in Ukraine after indicating he was ready to ramp up sanctions on Russia without providing details. He spoke with porters at Joint Bass Andrews in Maryland.
Speaker 1: I settled seven wars. This, I would have said, would have been maybe the easiest one to settle them all. But with war, you never know what you're getting.
Speaker 2: But we're going to get it.
Speaker 1: I believe we're going to get it settled. But I am not happy with them.
Speaker 2: I'm not happy with anything having to do with that war.
Speaker 3: President Trump's comments come as a massive Russian air assault struck a key government building in Kiev, killing at least four people and injuring dozens and Lisa.
Speaker 2: US Treasury Secretary Scott Best and also commenting on secondary sanctions over the weekends, saying they could lead to an eventual deal if.
Speaker 4: The US and the EU can come in to more sanctioned secondary tariffs on the countries that by Russian oil, the Russian economy will be in full collapse and that will bring President Putin to the table.
Speaker 2: And US Treasury Secretary Scott Besson made those comments on NBC's Meet the Press, which you can hear Sundays on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, the EU preparing new sanctions and secondary tariffs on oil and banks to further squeeze Russia's economy and pressure Vladimir Putin to negotiate an end to the war in Ukraine. The possible package comes as a delegation of EU officials head to Washington this week to discuss the potential for joint action.
Speaker 2: Wellly so. The President also commented on the Israel Gaza war in a post on social media. President Trump wrote that Hamas needs to accept his terms to end the fighting, writing this is my last warning. Last week, President Trump's envoy to the Atalie, Steve Whitcoff, sent a new proposal to Hamas for a hostage and ceasefire deal. The President talked about the prospects of a deal last night.
Speaker 1: It's a hell of a problem. What give again, It's a problem we want to solve for the Middle East, for Israel, for everybody. But it's it's a problem. We're going to get done.
Speaker 5: So they have hostages.
Speaker 1: It could be a little bit less than twenty because somebody, you know, they tend to die, right, they tend to die, even though the young people largely did die.
Speaker 2: President Trump's proposed deal would reportedly include the release of all remaining hostages in exchange for ending the war in Gaza.
Speaker 3: Turning now to Boston, Karen, where federal immigration agents conducted raids across the city and nearby communities, arresting dozens of people. The Justice Department filed suit against the city and its mayor, intensifying a clash over local sanctuary policies, with Attorney General Pam Bondi calling Boston among the worst sanctuary offenders in America. President Trump has all also threatened to send forces into Chicago to tackle crime.
Speaker 6: We're not going to war.
Speaker 1: We're going to clean up our cities.
Speaker 6: We're going to clean them up so they.
Speaker 4: Don't kill five people every weekend.
Speaker 1: That's not war, that's common sense.
Speaker 3: President Trump's borders are Tom Homan is further promising enforcement activities in Chicago and other sanctuary cities across the country.
Speaker 2: Hey Mo Liisa. In New York, Zo Run Mam Donnie, the front runner in the city's mayoral race, says the city should race itself for a deployment of National Guard troops.
Speaker 5: We have to prepare for the inevitability of that deployment. We cannot try and convince ourselves that because something is illegal, Donald Trump will not do it.
Speaker 2: In New York City mayor o front runner Zo Run Mam Donnie made the comments at a rally with Senator Bernie Sanders over the weekend. President Trump has so far deployed National Guard troops in Los Angeles and Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: And in Georgia. This week, in Karen, federal agents detained four hundred and seventy five people at Hyundai's manufacturing complex as part of a month's long investigation into employment practices. The majority were Korean nationals and people working unlawfully were turned over to Ice for removal proceedings. ANDNDAY said it was closely monitoring the situation, adding that production at its electric vehicle assembly plant nearby wasn't interrupted.
Speaker 2: Let's turn overseas now Lisa. In a major story in Paris, Francis government could collapse today, with Prime Minister Francois Bayrux expected to lose a confidence vote in Parliament. Bayrou called the vote in a bid to pressure lawmakers into backing his budget plan, which includes spending cuts and tax hikes. Earlier, Prime Minister Bayroux spoke on French television.
Speaker 5: We are experiencing a situation that threatens the very future of the country, and everyone is whistling as if it doesn't exist. Everyone is looking the other way. Everyone is using the answers we could have provided, have gained an electoral advantage.
Speaker 2: And Francois Bayroux speaking there through an interpreter. If the government coll collapses, President Emanuel mccron could name a new prime minister or call fresh elections for the National Assembly.
Speaker 3: Over in Asia, Karin Shigaru Eshaba has announced that he will step down as Japan's Prime minister. The move follows calls for his resignation after back to back election losses that cost his party its parliamentary majority. However, with no clear successor, his departure is likely to fuel uncertainty among investors. Japan's currency already slid against a dollar on concerns political instability will reduce the prospect of the Bank of Japan raising rates.
Speaker 2: When we turned to the latest on the FED now Lisa and who were replaced Jerome Powell as chair when his term expires in the spring, President Trump told reporters in the Oval Office that Kevin has said, Christopher Waller and Kevin worsh are the finalists to replace Powell. A Treasury Secretary, Scott Besson, who was a contender for the job, removed himself from consideration. Over the weekend, we heard from one of the finalists, Kevin Hassett, who talked about central bank independence.
Speaker 7: Monitary policy federis or monetary policy needs to be fully independent of political influence, including from President Trump. The fact is that we've looked at countries that have allowed the leaders to take over the central banks, and what tends to happen is that it's a recipe for inflation and misery for consumers.
Speaker 2: And Director of the National Economic Counsel Kevin Hassett made those comments on CBS has faced the nation. Meanwhile, Citadel founder and Republican donor Ken Griffin wrote in a Wall Street Journal op ed that it was Warren President Trump's best interest for the FED to be seen as independent and act accordingly.
Speaker 3: And in the energy space, Cameron Olpak plus has defied traders and is going ahead with another boost in oil production. Let's get more from Bloomberg's John Tucker and Lisa.
Speaker 8: This was an eleven minute meeting on Sunday. The oil cartel chose to start reviving a new layer of halted oil production more than a year early, rather than pausing as the traders that initially expected. This comes right after the group completed the surprise restoration of a previous round of halted output, and it's a pretty audacious move. It signals the alliance is firmly committed to reclaiming the share of the oil market that had lost in recent years to rivals like US shalf drillers. Could be a sign that longer term, OPAK is breaking with its historic mission of defending crude oil prices. If they can stand increased production at lower prices, they may be able to sink some of the competition. Initially, though, production is going to increase just one hundred and thirty seven thousand barrels a day in October. That's why crude prices are higher right now. And checking the price of brand the international benchmark that is up one point seven percent. You know you're in Come John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Time Now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. Where that We're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 9: Michael, Good Morning, Good morning, Karen. A federal trial is scheduled to begin today for man charged with trying to assass and made President Trump as he played golf in Florida about a year ago. Ryan Ruth is charged with trying to assassinate then candidate Trump on his golf course. Authority say a secret Service agent prevented Ruth, who apparently camped out the twelve hours, from shooting mister Trump before any shots were fired. Survivors of convicted sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein are demanding more transparency from the Trump administration as members of Congress from both parties trying to force the release of the files. Kentucky Republican and Congressman Thomas Massey and California Democrat Roekna are calling for a bipartisan vote to compel the files release. Massey said he suspects President Trump is trying to avoid embarrassing his supporters.
Speaker 10: I think it's going to be embarrassing to some of the billionaires, some of the donors who are politically connected to his campaign. I also think Democrats are going to be implicated in this. Democrat donors and when you get to the billionaire level, a lot of these folks to both parties.
Speaker 9: Anyway, Representative mass He made his comments on ABC's This Week Hear at Sundays on Bloomberg. Israeli police and medics said five people were killed by a gun attack on a bus in Jerusalem. At least twelve others were wounded in the incident, which came as Israeli Palestinian tention surge over the almost two year old war, and the guys of strip The gunmen were themselves shot dead by an Israeli security force member. Mayor Eric Adams says that he is staying in the New York City mayor's race. Adams called out fellow candidate Andrew Cuomo, promising to defeat Democratic front runner Zoron Memdani.
Speaker 11: Andrew Cuomo is a snake in a liar. I am in this race and I'm the only one that can beat Mendonni Andrew has had a career of pushing black candidates out of races. You've heard me say it over again.
Speaker 9: Adams also denied that he was going to Washington d See today after reports the Trump administration is considering him for various roles in exchange for dropping out of the race. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Michael. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 1: Thanks Karen. Carlos Alcaraz, Jonnick Cinner Media. In the Grand Stamp Final for the third straight time, Alcaaz won. The French center won at Wimbledon. It was Alcarez's turn. He won the US Open final in four sets. What a wild Sunday night football game in Buffalo. Baltimore had a fifteen point lead with four minutes to go. The Bill scored two touchdowns, then got a game winning field goal for Matt Prater, who they had just signed days earlier to replace Tyler Bass. The Bills won by one point. That's a Bloomberg Sports update.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 9: On Bloomberg Radio nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, President Trump was busy over the weekend. He was commenting on a variety of global issues. So here to break down a few of them is Jill Desis. She's editor with Bloomberg News. Jill, thanks for joining us this morning. I want to stride off the bat by talking about the President speaking about the war in Ukraine. He indicated was ready to ramp up sanctions on Russia. What stood out to the most to you in his comments?
Speaker 6: Good morning? Yes, well, I think you know, really all we got from Trump was that he says he thinks that the Russia Ukraine war is going to be settled. He's reiterated comments that he's not happy with Russia, and then he also said that he would plan to speak with Russian President bluidimoir putin very soon. I think what's really key though, to remember in the context of all of this is that, you know, we've obviously been hearing this from Trump for quite a while now. It's been about forty days or so since, you know, he was talking about the fact that he thought that he could bring an end to this war within ten to twelve days. Obviously, this has been something that's really vexed Trump, considering it's back at the beginning of his term in office where he was saying that he wanted to bring an end to the war in twenty four hours, and we haven't really seen the needle move that much there. I think, in particular, you're really seeing very little willingness from Moscow to stop this war. You're seeing, you know, European leaders talk with Zelenski and Ukraine about measures to respond to Russian attacks. So while Trump is certainly projecting this confidence over bringing an end to the war in Ukraine, I think we still have to see that substance behind it to actually know whether or not that's something that has any chance of happening anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, what about the Israel Godza war? Mean, President said Hamas needs to accept his terms to end its war with Israel. I mean on truth Stolschel, he said, this is my last warning, is it? I mean, what's the difference about his message this time around?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think That's the thing is that, you know, there's that question of how different it actually is. What Trump was you know, sort of getting to in addition to this warning is you know he's talking about, you know, trying to trying to bring up this this this bluster of well, the the Israelis have accepted my term, so it's signed for THEMS to accept them as well. I think. Really notable in line with that truth social post from Trump in particular is that it came after his envoy to the Middle East Witkough, sent forth a new proposal to Hamas for a hostage and cease fire deal. They were sending that through an Israeli peace activists. That's according to the news outlet Axios, citing people direct knowledge of that communication. But ultimately it does tell you that, you know, again while Trump is you know, very willing to project this idea they'll have a deal on Gaza very soon that working on a solution with the Moths, it's really you've got you've got to wait until you know there's there's terms that ultimately, you know, these sides agree to before you bring that forward. This is another one, obviously that his administration has been working to try to bring a close to with out much in the way of a permanent, lasting deal.
Speaker 3: And in the last thirty seconds or so, I mean, ice raids ramping up Boston over the weekend. Now we're hearing also threatening to send forces to Chicago.
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean, I think you know, this is all part of, you know, that that really big sort of you know, immigration crackdown that you're seeing Trump, you know, really focus on. I think that ice raid and Georgia in particular was particularly interesting because you're talking about that focusing on a JV Hyundai LG plants some particular implications there for the US's relationship with with South Korea. I think, so that's a really really important one to keep an eye on. And then yeah, I mean when you're talking about, you know, his focus on Chicago really kind of you know, bringing in that idea of you know, he campaigned really heavily on police enforcements.
Speaker 1: You know he did.
Speaker 6: And I continue to hammer on.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am East each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg and News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now and your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow and.
Speaker 3: I'm Lisa Matteo. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak