Speaker 1: The US renewables industry is dead, killed by a president who hates wind turbines and loves supporting the fossil fuel industry. That's the narrative we often hear coming out of the US right now. But is it true? This is zero? I am Akshadrati this week. What's really happening to the renewables industry in the US. President Donald Trump's administration has taken a big swipe at clean energy policies in the US, gutting tax credits for wind and solar, removing subsidies for electric cars, and even using taxpayer dollars to haul the development of offshore wind farms. That has certainly heard the country's clean energy credentials, But if you look at the deployment figures, renewables are still winning. Ninety percent of all new power generating capacity added to the grid last year was made up of solar, wind, and batteries. The same thing is expected to happen this year. So why the discrepancy between the narrative and the deployment One place we can try to find an answer is in the US state of Arkansas. It is now home to the Steel River Energy Center, which will become one of the largest solar and battery storage projects anywhere in the US. When all three phases are completed in twenty twenty nine, it will have two point five gigawards of solar and two point nine gigaward hours of battery storage. That plant alone will be enough to power a small city. My guest today is playing a leading role in that building Frenzy, having secured three point five billion dollars in financing. His name is Kevin Smith, and he's the chief executive officer of Cypress Creek Energy. He spent the last two decades working in renewables in the US and abroad, and he believes everything points to a future powered by solar and batteries even in the US. But given the barriers that the Trump administration has put up, can that really happen? The government keeps raising tariffs in China, does it have enough of its own manufacturing capacity for clean energy? And do companies building artificial intelligence, the core reason for rising electricity demand in the US, really care if it comes from renewables. Welcome to the show, Kevin, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: It's nice to be here.
Speaker 1: So you've been in the energy industry for forty years, two decades in oil and gas, and then the last two decades in renewables, and you've seen many ups and downs in both industries in the US specifically, right now, the narrative is that the US renewables industry is under attack from the Trump administration and the future for the industry is dire than it has ever been before.
Speaker 3: Is it true, Well, the first part is true, the second part is not true. So certainly the industry has been under attack by the administration. Frankly with them and struggling to pay their electric bills. Doesn't make sense to be attacking the most affordable energy cost out there with solar and renewables generally, So, yes, the industry has been has been under attack with policy changes and policy issues with the administration.
Speaker 2: However, the industry is thriving.
Speaker 3: If you look at twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six, you know upwards to ninety percent of all new generation is renewables, primarily solar and battery storage has been upwards to eighty percent of new generation is solar and battery storage, and largely that's because it's the most affordable cost of energy.
Speaker 1: And so right now you know the deployment figures do reach this record. But one of the reasons why we are seeing a sped up deployment in twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six is because there were these tax credits that are supposed to expire. So from July for twenty twenty six, if your solo plant is not under construction, you are not going to be getting US government credits. Is the boom then over?
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: And in reality, the you know, projects to qualify for the tax credits, you know, have certain conditions where they can qualify for starter construction. They need to be in inter commercial operation by the end of twenty thirty, so we have you know, a number more years of where tax credits will be applied, and frankly that helps keep you know, electricity prices down. My view is with or without tax credits, and I think the industry's view is with or without tax credits, we're the most competitive source of electricity out there.
Speaker 2: You take away the tax credits, it raises the cost.
Speaker 3: Of the most affordable electricity price, but we're still you know, much more competitive than the natural game, or certainly more competitive than nuclear new nuclear or new coal.
Speaker 1: But I'm looking at bloomerg en ef forecasts for solar for example, and they peak in twenty twenty six and start to decline all the way till twenty thirty one and only really reach the twenty twenty six levels in twenty thirty two. So there is a decline. It's not like it's going to zero. It's going from something like fifty gig awards built, which includes all types of solar by the way, down to forty gigawats and then back up to fifty in six years time. But there is a decline, right.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you could argue whether it's the decline or whether we have this you know, kind of short term boom that's resulting in an increase in renewables for a short period of time while the tax credits are still in effect, and then it goes back now down to a normal level. I mean even the normal level, I mean forty gigawatts a year.
Speaker 2: You know, if a decade ago you said.
Speaker 3: We're going to build forty gigawottes a year of when when we're building a tenth of that, it would be kind of an amazing figure to look at. So foty gigawatts a year is you know, one hundred billion dollars of construction on renewable energy projects, which is tremendous amount of growth.
Speaker 1: So you've just signed this three and a half billion dollar financingdea for one of US's biggest solar and battery projects. Just put it in context. China, India, and even the UE have built far bigger projects, but for the US it is one of the biggest. How long does it take to build it?
Speaker 2: It's about a two just over two year construction period.
Speaker 3: I mean the first phase will start generating electricity by say mid twenty twenty eight. The first two phases are one point six gigawatts of solar PV and then one point nine gigawatt hours of battery storage.
Speaker 2: There's a third phase.
Speaker 3: They're kind of three equal phases, So there's a third phase that we're hoping to start construction later this year or early next. That third phase would be into operation by the end of twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Where are the solar panels and batteries for these projects coming from?
Speaker 3: Solar panels are one hundred percent US made for solar, so it's and they're you know for solo has some overseas manufacturing. But these these these panels are one hundred percent main in the US. We're also quite proud that's that it's the vast majority of the steel is actually being manufactured in Mississippi County, Arkansas. You know, we like to refer to the project as built on Arkansas steel. The batteries are coming from LG and their US manufacturing as well. You know, for those that think you can't supply the renewable energy industry with US manufacturing, that's happening as we speak. I mean, tens of billions of dollars have been invested in US manufacturing and that's continuing to supply and will continue to disupply US renewable energy projects for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 1: And what about the battery metals that LG users to be able to make those batteries.
Speaker 3: Well that I mean there are some certainly there are some components that are coming from overseas.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think.
Speaker 3: You could pull look at one energy industry supply, whether it's natural gas or nuclear or coal, and look at and say, are one hundred percent of all components coming from US manufacturers. I would like to think that renewable energy. You know, the percent of components that are coming from US is greater than most of those other other electricity supply. You know, a lot of the nuclear technology now is overseas. Two out of the three main gas turbine manufacturers are overseas. Like I said, I think renewable energy and solar and battery storage specifically are being dominated by US components supply.
Speaker 1: And you talked about the fact that you know, solar and batteries are now the cheapest that can be offered to US consumers. How much cheaper would they be if there were no restrictions on imports.
Speaker 3: Well, if that would you know, I mean, we've got two things happening. One is is that the tax credits are being taken away, and you know, we're paying you know, probably for solar panels. We're probably in some cases paying triple what the rest of.
Speaker 2: The world is paying.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, we're you know, panel prices right now, Solar module prices are in the you know call it, you know, thirty two to thirty eight cent range, depending on the time of year and who your supplier supplier is. You know, the rest of the world can can get less expensive panels in the in the low teens twelve thirteen cents a lot, and all that all that tariff is being passed through to electricity consumers. So you and I are paying that in our electricity bills.
Speaker 1: Well I am based in london' so not me yet, but.
Speaker 2: Certainly I pay it in my electricity bills.
Speaker 3: All those tariffs are you know, have to be passed through into capital costs and passed through to electricity prices.
Speaker 1: And what about batteries If you compare no imports with tariffs.
Speaker 2: On yeah, I mean we're similar issue. It's probably not triple.
Speaker 3: I would probably say it's it's certainly close to double what international projects are dealing with with regards to battery costs because of the tariff issues. So, as I said, that increases capital costs and it increases prices to consumers.
Speaker 1: A solar battery project right now is about twenty five hundred dollars a killer. What in the US you said, roughly, if you take these reductions and tear away the trade barriers, what could it come down to?
Speaker 3: You're certainly probably under fifteen hundred, I would think.
Speaker 1: Given where the cost is today and where the trade barriers are and where future looks like, which doesn't look like it's going to come down anytime soon these trade barriers. How does the pipeline for you and developers like you look like today?
Speaker 3: Well, obviously, we have projects that we're proceeding with in the over the next several years that would qualify for tax credits. As the tax credits start to roll off, we're going to have to increase our electricity prices, you know. So I like to talk generically about a sixty dollars a megawat hour solar project today with tax credits, without tax credits is probably more like eighty five or ninety dollars a megawat hour. But you compare that against a natural gas project combined cycle project with you know, top of the line equipment, you know, high efficiency gas turbines, you're probably in the one hundred and twenty to one hundred and.
Speaker 2: Forty dollars a megawatt hour range.
Speaker 3: So we're still even with rolling off the tax credits and with paying all these tariffs, we're still cheaper than a natural gas combined cycle facility.
Speaker 1: And so for this first phase of the Steel River Energy Center in Arkansas that you're building, where is the electricity going to go. I'm assuming a data center.
Speaker 3: In reality that that project is grid connected. Okay, so we we sell a hundred percent of our electricity to the grid. We have a i'll say a financial contract with a tech player that will.
Speaker 2: Be announced next month.
Speaker 3: But Entergy Arkansas is receiving all the energy under their transmission system and they're distributing it across their network. Like I said, we have a financial structure with a tech player to give us a guarantee on the price that we're getting for our electricity.
Speaker 2: That's a bit more financial transaction.
Speaker 3: The actual electrons are going to the grid and being distributed by Entergy Arkansas.
Speaker 1: Seven eight years ago, you did an interview with CGTN where you said, you know, India and China are building a lot of renewables because those are the countries where electricity demand is growing at seven eight percent, and when there's growth, the industry grows. You can now say the same thing in the US for that electricity demand is now finally growing, maybe not eight percent, but it's growing three four five percent, and a lot of that is to do with AI and data centers. One thing that we've seen in these data center stories is that these companies want to build these data centers really quickly, and then they want an uptime that is ninety nine point nine percent of the time. Now, solar and batteries can be built fast. You know, you're talking about two year project to build one of the largest solar and battery project in the US. But gas and batteries can keep the uptime that they need, and right now it seems like gas plus batteries are winning out. How can renewables compete with those constraints.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's interesting, interesting, I'll say statements in there. So there's a few things going on. One is my view is the vast majority of data centers, if in order to get ninety nine point nine nine nine or even ninety nine point nine, really need to be grid connected. Okay, so there are a number of projects. You know, we had a debate internally about how many of those behind the meter projects we're getting built that we're off grid and had this mix of gas and batteries and solar.
Speaker 2: It's really kind of a handful.
Speaker 3: Okay, The vast majority of data centers are in order to get that reliability, are going to need to be grid connected. With that as a backdrop that most of them will be grid connected. Then solar and battery storage is a great tool for the utilities to provide you know, affordable energy. They've got to mix you know, their own base where where it includes a mix of fossil fuels and nuclear and renewables to serve that load. So, you know, and we are looking at, you know, for a data center that does need a behind the meter solution, we are looking at a mix of solar and battery storage and potentially some natural gas in there. But like I said, my view is eighty percent plus of data centers that go in are going to be grid connected.
Speaker 1: That might be true this year, next year, but it looks like when I look again projections from bloomaginnyf's new Energy Outlook that was just recently published purely at data Center driven edition on the grid, it starts to become gas heavy starting in twenty twenty seven all the way to twenty thirty five. By twenty thirty five, we are looking at eighty to ninety percent of the additional power demand for data centers being met by gas. Are they wrong?
Speaker 3: I've looked at other projections, you know, from the International Energy Association from you know, the National Energy Resources from you know, Wood Mackenzie. We're still seeing substantial amount of growth and supply from solar and battery stores. I mean you you talked about forty gigawatts a year. Even five years ago, forty gigawatts was would be viewed as a tremendous amount of growth in the solar space projections.
Speaker 2: Will be interesting to see how that all sorts itself out.
Speaker 3: What's happening today, ninety percent of all new generation is coming from renewables in battery storage.
Speaker 2: Now will that change?
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe there will be more natural gas put on the under the system. But when you talk about i'll say grid connected, you know nuclear and natural gas. You know they need that one hundred and twenty one hundred and forty dollars price round the clock. Okay, So even when power prices drop to twenty or thirty dollars in the middle of the night, and the grid could provide very cost effective power because demand is low in the middle of the night, that gas turbine project or that nuclear project's got to continue to generate in.
Speaker 2: Order to pay its off its its capital costs.
Speaker 1: So this is where I think the global numbers and the US numbers actually diverge drastically. And you look at a global picture, and the global picture certainly says that a lot of the power demand will be met by solar and batteries, a little bit of wind. But when it comes to the US, it's the only place, the only large economy that is increasing its gas power load from twenty twenty five to twenty thirty five. But you don't think that's the case because financially, renewables have to win.
Speaker 3: I'll say yes, simpler answers, yes, I mean the dynamics in the US are a little bit different. Number one is we're penalizing heavily with tariffs renewable energy, so we're we're forcing prices higher than they normally would be.
Speaker 2: The rest of the world isn't doing that.
Speaker 3: The rest of the world is trying to do the opposite, is restricting barriers. The other dynamic is that US does have an abundance of natural gas, and our cost of natural gas is cheaper than the rest of the world. Now as we build more LNG terminals and natural gas becomes a bit more like oil a commodity, a worldwide commodity, as opposed to trapped gas in the US, then the price of natural gas will rise and that'll affect obviously, you know, the build I'm you know, very bullish on solar and battery storage, even at the forty to fifty gigawatte level that we talked about, you know, because I actually, you know, solar largely if you look at the projections, you know, from twenty years ago and from fifteen years ago and from ten years ago, solar has beaten all of those projections, and I'm pretty bullish that it'll continue to do that.
Speaker 1: One other bearish note on solar that I should bring up then is the residential solar industry in the US, which install about four gigabitz of solar in twenty twenty six, fifteen percent lower than last year and less than half of what was installed in twenty twenty three. And a large part of that is because of the removal of federal subsidies on rooftop solar and the fact that you have all these startups, et cetera. You don't worry that that kind of impact that's come on a residential solar will come to the utility scale projects that you work on.
Speaker 3: It's a completely different market, you know, I mean, putting twenty or thirty panels on a roof is a whole lot more expensive than you know, building two million panels on farmland in Arkansas or in a ranch in Texas. So the demand that we're seeing on the solar side is going to continue to grow our business.
Speaker 1: After the break, I asked Kevin whether President Trump's anti wind crusade is going to come to solar. Going back to your point about electricity demand and that sort of helping the solar and battery boom in the US, there is a fear that perhaps maybe all those demand may not pan out. That could be a bare case for here data centers. The other bare case could be that air data centers are not popular. Lots of people oppose them just for how they look or the noise they produce, or others oppose them because they are increasing power builds. As you talked about, that could also start to reduce the number of data centers that get built in the US just from a power demand perspective. If that comes to pass, If there is not quite the bull case for power demand for data centers, does it affect the future for renewables? You think in the US.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, as I've kind of said, you know multiple times, the solar and battery storage is the most affordable, okay, and it's also quickest to market. Now, a behind the meter natural gas fire project for a data center that needs to provide five nine's reliability is a very expensive facility. If the data center load goes down and you don't have as many of those behind the meter product, then you'll likely it'll come out of the natural gas side of the of the model, not so much out of the solar and battery storage, which is largely grid connected solar. Some people talk about data center is about fifty percent of the growth, you know, or sixty percent of the growth that we're.
Speaker 2: Going to see in electricity demand.
Speaker 3: But there's electrification going on across the across the country, you know, manufacturing activities, you know, electric vehicles. We are continuing to see growth that is non data center related. But as you point out, if that data center growth doesn't materialize as we expect, my expectations are probably means that we build blessed natural gas.
Speaker 1: It's worth mentioning wind as well. In twenty twenty five, President Trump signed an executive order holding the permitting of new wind projects. That was challenged in courts, and a federal judge blocked that executive order, and this month the Trump administration has decided not to appeal. But then there is a new case that's been brought by renewable groups who are suing the US government because the Pentagon, the Department of Defense is holding back the review of wind power projects, which has really brought wind development to a halt. Do you think this anti wind crusade is going to come to solar?
Speaker 3: It doesn't appear that it will, okay, And and mostly because I think I think the economics are clear, and the and the the amount of solar and battery stores that's that's helping helping the grid and helping keep electricity prices down. It doesn't make any sense to try and shut that off. It'll likely raise electricity prices. But the administration seems to have i'll say, a non economic, non technical, adverse reaction to building wind, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense either.
Speaker 1: Quite frankly, now taking more of global view, and you know you've worked in renewable energy projects outside of the US as well. One framing that shows up again and again is that look oil and gas companies, they are high risk but high reward. Renewable energy companies now they're kind of low risk, low reward. Do you think low profitability in renewables is holding back the industry historically?
Speaker 3: Returns you know, over the last five years, returns on investments in renewable energy have been lower than and the oil and gas sector. Post COVID and the and the war in Ukraine and now the war in Iran, we have seen over the last couple of years returns because of the demand.
Speaker 2: We have seen returns for renewable energy projects improves substantially. But they are lower risk, okay, which you know, you know, a lot of utilities, pension funds, you know, other investors like that low risk profile that renewable energy provides. So there is a segment of the market that likes to drill and.
Speaker 3: Is willing to take those high risk, high return, higher return, potentially higher return projects. And there's also a significant segment that's looking for lower risk but still strong returns. I mean, we're seeing pretty strong returns in the renewable energy sector these days, maybe not quite as high as a return if you decide you want to do a weldcapt drilling program in West Texas, but it's a completely different risk profile.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that can be done to increase the profitability of renewable energy industry?
Speaker 3: You know, those things have a tendency to sort itself out based on supply and demand of investors as well. If there was a shortage of investors in renewable energy, you would see returns rise, okay, but there isn't a shortage of investors in removal energy sector, both on the debt side, you know, tax equity. You know, while those tax credits exist and the equity players like ourselves, you know, there isn't necessarily a shortage. But like I said, returns have have have risen, you know, to double digits over the last several years, and so you know, we see adequate and I'll say substantial amount of investment, investment appetite still looking at investing tens of billions of dollars of a year per year in in renewable energy projects.
Speaker 1: We are seeing though, in markets where solar penetration has been high, that investments are starting to slow down because you're getting so many hours of what we call negative electricity prices essentially, this too much solar than what the grid can consume. That of course is encouraging battery storage, but it has just because of the negative electricity prices and hours hundreds of hours now here in Europe for a sample, it's starting to slow down the deployment of solar as a result, and also, of course it affects the profitability of those projects. Is there a way that not just batteries, but other demand side projects could take off. Are you seeing the growth of projects that want to take advantage of negative price to electricity come through run only in the hours when those prices exist.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean there are industries there, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, cryptocurrency is probably the one of the bigger ones. You know, they you know, where where they can kind of run when electricity prices are low. You know, there are other industries that are looking at that. I mean, the US market is quite a bit different in you know, to a large extent, less advanced from renewable energy than some of the European countries. So, you know, while California and Texas talk about times of the year where there's fifty percent of the energy is coming from renewables, you don't see that in you know, Arkansas and Indiana and Pennsylvania and Alabama, and you know those kinds of places where you see maybe a few percent coming from renewable energy.
Speaker 2: So the ability and.
Speaker 3: The areas for growth across the US are still, you know, still pretty tremendous. I mean, you could see you know, dramatic increases in those markets over the next couple of decades, and it would take them a while to get up to fifty percent supply from renewable energy.
Speaker 1: So one thing that's worth noting in these twenty twenty six record figures for solar installation is that seventy four percent of all solar capacity that was installed in the first quarter of twenty twenty six was in Texas, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Arizona, and Mississippi, all that voted for Trump. These are the places that are seemingly loving solar. Do you see that kind of veg showing up at US politics in maybe the midterms or the next presidential election, where this attack on renewables turns into people wanting a leader that actually brings renewables regardless of climate goals, but just because it's cheap.
Speaker 3: It definitely should and it's not just what's critical is It's not just we're building projects in those in those markets. You know, the vast majority of the manufacturing jobs they've been created over the last five years in the renewable energy sector is in those same same states. I mean, first soldiers, manufacturing facilities, you know, historically the Legacy facilities in Ohio, they built new facilities in Alabama, Louisiana, South South Carolina.
Speaker 2: Okay, next power LG you know Q cells.
Speaker 3: There's and there's just a long list of manufacturers that are built manufacturing, tens of thousands of jobs, tens of billions of dollars of investment in Red states. Okay, the figure was more than eighty percent of all manufacturing for renewable energy is in Red states. So I mean that is not having as a big effect as you would think, but it's starting to resonate.
Speaker 1: One reason why the oil and gas industry seems to get sway is because it has had for a long time a very powerful lobby. The renewable energy industry is newer, but it's also, as some people say, not as organized. You're part of that industry, what are you doing to try and improve your political chances in the elections to come.
Speaker 2: We're participating in the industry groups.
Speaker 3: I mean there's you know, the three main industries groups that affect renewable energy and solar. You know, the Soul Energy Industry Association, you know called CIA. There's ACP, which is American Clean Power, and there's and there's a CORE which is American Council Renewable Energy. Those three groups are the three largest industry groups, and we are trying to kind of mobilize from a lobbying activity and policy and also trying to make sure that those three groups are working together.
Speaker 2: I'll say the main difference is, you.
Speaker 3: Know, while you know, renewable energy is the most affordable supply out there, it's also and as you mentioned, it's a lower risk, low lower return. So you know, the oil and gas industries have been have been thriving for one hundred years. You know, you've got you know, record profits during the current war in Iran and record profits when the war in Ukraine broke out. That profitability is a lot more muted in the renewable energy industry. So the oil and gas industry, you know, outspends probably one hundred to one the renewable energy industry and lobbying efforts, and unfortunately, I think that's likely going to continue. I think we've got the right message, we don't have the right lobbying dollars behind it. We're trying to figure out ways to increase the voice of renewable energy and get that message out that this is the most affordable electricity supply out there without having to spend the massive dollars that the oil and gas industry does on lobbying and policy activities in DC.
Speaker 1: So, would you conclude that the narrative that the renewables industry's future in the US is dire is not true?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, absolutely not. I've made a conscious choice. Okay. You know, I was in the nuclear industry.
Speaker 3: I spent a good portion of my career, you know, upwards to twenty years developing natural gas projects, both in the US and internationally.
Speaker 2: My view is this is going to be a solar world. Okay, it's just a question of when.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Kevin, Thank you very much, and thank you for listening to zero. Now for the sound of the week. That is the sound of a steam engine recorded by Robert Ditzig. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and YouTube. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our theme music is composed by Wonderly Special Thanks to Mark cheddiak Soamersadi, Laura Milan and Sharon chan i'm Akshadrati Back soon.