Speaker 1: And That's what You Really Missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's What You Really miss podcast. Live to You by Coastal from LA and New York. Kevin in New York, Hello to my old stumping around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in your old neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Very exciting, Kevin Spelling. The rehearsals going good. Yes, you too, rehearsal exciting.
Speaker 2: Everything is going. Everyone's very nice. We're all very excited. I think it's going to be great. It's such a good show. So if you're in New York starting November seventh, just come see Spelling. Be at ther World Stages.
Speaker 1: Pop on over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quick, it's one act. It's like ninety something minutes.
Speaker 1: Those are the dream shows. I love those shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it will be I think it will be good. It's going to be great because so great nothing to do with the writing of the show.
Speaker 1: Well, we know the show is good, and then the cast that you've got is excellent. So you guys are gonna be good. You're gonna be great. It's gonna be so much fun. It is here though, your first time living in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never been here for more than like time.
Speaker 1: It's just so lively all the time.
Speaker 2: It's I take Sophie, my dog for a walk, and I look down and like, what are you doing here in New York?
Speaker 1: Sophie's new stomping grounds in New York. She's living in the concrete junk.
Speaker 2: Peeing and pooping on the concrete. No problem.
Speaker 1: Oh, Barry used to do that everywhere. He'd be like, I'm no good.
Speaker 2: I just wasn't sure if she was, like, literally no hesitation.
Speaker 3: I mean, this ain't her first rodeo.
Speaker 2: She knows these street dogs, you know, they've lived, so.
Speaker 3: They ate nothing.
Speaker 1: All right, Kevin, So here we are, we are. We are live from New York Saturday night, and we were doing Greece today Grease recap. Very exciting.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is a big one.
Speaker 1: This would not be complete.
Speaker 2: This is like the Holy Grail of musicals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's John Travolta and Olivia and John which they are, they are King and Queen.
Speaker 2: They are and watching this. I haven't seen it in a really long time. I thought I had, like, I know this like the back of my hand. I don't technically even really need to watch it.
Speaker 1: For this, I know, I literally could have watched this like in my sleep with my eyes closed and I could see every frame.
Speaker 2: However, so much of it I didn't remember at all. Oh, like a couple things like segments, I didn't remember at all, And my perspective of it now as like a full fully fledged adult's, so it in that way, the stories or the characters of who who are my favorites are different from when I was a kid? Okay, okay, right, Like the story I didn't realize how raunchy Grease is.
Speaker 1: Very raunchy, Like as a kid wanting to watch Grease and your parents being like, you shouldn't be watching that. You're like, but this is so good.
Speaker 2: I was never told that, So I think I didn't realize.
Speaker 3: Your child, so this stuff was like off limits.
Speaker 1: But who was in a musical theater growing up and didn't see Greece didn't do Grease, didn't do We Go Together, didn't we do, didn't do summer Nights, Like, it's just it's a staple, so you had to see it, and so you're just like sneaking it, but I yes, okay, so let's get into it. So Greece premiered on June sixteenth, nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Can you believe it, ten years before my birth? Oh my gosh, wow, almost exactly. The number one song in the country was Shadow Dancing by Andy Gibb.
Speaker 1: The number of movies was Jaws two and opened the same weekend as Grease and hit number one. Wow, and obviously wow we were doing you know, we we were not even a thought yet the cast members of Glaze.
Speaker 3: So there's no blue now. But we were deep in the disco.
Speaker 1: So this is all the pop culture snapshots where we were nineteen seventy It was peak disco, I mean, give me down. Travolta and the Beg's and Andy Gibb. This was also the other Blondie and the police started being, Oh my god, the police. Wow.
Speaker 3: This is the beginning of everything that raised me.
Speaker 2: Grease and Superman were huge blockbusters, The Muppet Show on TV and The Love Boat were huge ssh.
Speaker 1: Space Invaders came out in nineteen seventy eight two, so basically kicking off the whole arcade craze which was like so massive in the eighties. I remember growing up. My brother was you know, right around that age in the eighties, and so everything in our life was games and arcades and the whole thing atari, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, like very very fun fact, the very first cell phone system was introduced in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 1: You know, I would have guessed that was like if somebody asked me as a trivia question, I would have been like, nineteen ninety eight, you know what I mean, Like that seems so early for the first cell phone system, But I guess you're right.
Speaker 3: This is also like the beginning of the age of beebers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's the thing. I think we think about decades in a very like black or white thing. It's from like nineteen seventy to nineteen seventy nine. Yeah, in nineteen seventy nine, like that's our decade. But they don't actually happen like that. They usually there are a couple of years ACKed off, Like if you're really talking about things that happened in the eighties, they started in the late seventies. Like everything's shifted just a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is also a big year for history and social change. So s F San Francisco flew the Rainbow Pride flag for the very first time, symbolizing the growing LGBTQ plus Rights Movement plus.
Speaker 2: Harvey Milk was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, making him one of the first openly gay elected officials in a major US city.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's huge, so grease.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is directed by Randall Kleiser. The screenplay was by Bronte Woodard and the adaptation was Alan Carr.
Speaker 2: This was also it's based on a stage musical, which I don't think I knew.
Speaker 1: This is the thing we're learning. It's like, oh, things have to be a book first, or a musical first, or whatever. First we were thinking like the movie came first, and then people are making musicals like now. But it was stage movie stage yes, correct, always the stage first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so at least in this stage musical was by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey, and it premiered in nineteen seventy two. The movie was choreographed by Patricia Birch and most of the music in this movie because also like what other musical has spawned this many commercial hits. Trually, most of the music it's written by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey, who created the original Broadway musical, but the movie added new songs from Barry Gibb, John Ferrar and Louis Saint Louis, Saint Louis, Lewis Saint Louis, Louis Saint Louis. I'm not sure how do you say it? We're unclear Arry Gibb, And like some of the songs they added for this, like hopelessly devoted, I mean, Greece is the word?
Speaker 1: You add that? For Olivia Newton, John you add that. So this moved off Broadway in nineteen seventy two, were producer Ali car bought the film rights and brought it to Paramount.
Speaker 2: This is what I love. So Austin and I were watching this and he was sort of googling things along the way, which is really fascinating because obviously we know this music and movies so well, right that there's a wealth of history that I have no idea about.
Speaker 1: I mean so much. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the film had a six million dollar budget and was shot over two months at Venice High School and all over.
Speaker 1: LA which was so special, and then also filming when we did summer nights, we did it at the high school.
Speaker 2: How was that? Because I wasn't in that. I think it's do it you think you could do summer nights. Oh, I'm not in it was that super surreal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was pretty full Eric Stilts structed and it was it's just special. It's really fun. And it was like you you just walked onto the onto the location in the ground, and you're like, right, I know exactly where this is, I know exactly what happened here.
Speaker 3: This is so iconic.
Speaker 1: It felt a little like I felt like I'm a little muppety in it because like it's such a cool movie and it was such like an iconic part of history and in my mind and in my childhood so iconic that like I was like here, I am like troops in around trying to do this song here, and like it's just so everything about Grease was when I growing up, was like so cool. Like the characters were cool, the outfits were cool, the the all the like storylines in Greece were like, oh wow, this is so racy and so bad.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So I felt a little muppety doing it, but I I really appreciated that we got to do it on the actual location that we did it, that was they did.
Speaker 2: It's something I couldn't get over was how cool everybody was like the costumes were absolutely incredible on everyone. The set deck was, yeah, absolutely incredible. Like the attention to detail, the scale of every single scene, like every single frame was filled was rich with materials.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and like picture worthy, Like each frame was like picture worthy. You're like, oh so iconic. And this initially was originally set in Chicago, like you know, gritty Chicago at the time, and uh, this like LA kind of softened that, like the setting and made into like more of a like a glossy California vibe versus like the grittier like West Side story of it. You know.
Speaker 2: It was funny though, because a lot of I feel like the locations looked pretty dingy, like a lot of it. It wasn't as glossy as I remember it being as a kid.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 3: Interesting, And I loved like.
Speaker 2: Half the cast as like strong like New York and New Jersey accents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, it was.
Speaker 3: It was all like where are these people from here?
Speaker 2: Right? Speaking of so, how they cast John Travolta, I also think is fascinating. So he had played duty on stage and was under like when they used to do three picture deals with the producer Robert studios would and he got he got the lead after Henry Henry Winkler turned it down because he didn't want to be typecast as you know, it's it is basically the fond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so interesting that he got he got offered this role. Like I get it, the type casting of it all, but like imagine Henry Winkler doing this role in not Travolta like crazy, I.
Speaker 2: Think also like going on. I mean we can say that now because we have like hindsight of what Travolta has done and it makes perfect sense with like especially like having just watched Hairspray, like it makes sense like this is in his wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I wonder like Henry Winkler, we know him as an older guy obviously happy days, but like I feel like you probably could have pulled it off.
Speaker 3: It would have been a very different he.
Speaker 1: Oh, he definitely would have pulled it off. I mean he was so.
Speaker 3: Also such a legend, Yeah, but different different.
Speaker 1: I almost feel like, no, it was a smart move on his part, I think, just in terms of not wanting to be pigeonholed into roles like that.
Speaker 2: But and it doesn't hurt that like Travolta already knew the director Randall Kleising the plastic bubble.
Speaker 1: Right, and then after Travalda was cast, he knew Olivia because Travalda pushed for her and she nailed her screen test. Obviously, she worried about being too old for the role in her late twenties, which we all do now, Like she's at the scene for all of us.
Speaker 2: She's hardly the oldest looking one in the movie. Yeah please.
Speaker 1: She insisted on script changes that Sandy became Australian and more assertive, which I love. She was such a just an icon already, but I mean she had her album Totally Hot, which mirrored her transformation in her own career. But I this is where I fell in love with Living in John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like she was already the world. She had already had some hits under her belt when she started this, which I didn't even necessarily realized. And there are other people like for Sandy that were considered, like Carrie Fisher, Susan Day and Margaret Deborah Raffin Mary Osmond who turned it down. Could you imagine, like we could have had a Henry Winkler and.
Speaker 1: Maria that's so funny. So we obviously have also had some amazing casting choices, like Rizzo is Stockard Channing. She was the oldest cast member, but she thought to keep there are worse things I could do. Also, imagine not having that song in this show, movie, anything, history history.
Speaker 2: I also think Stockard, it's just unbelievable.
Speaker 3: She's a star.
Speaker 2: Yeah's a star. Just like the power. Yeah, the presence she.
Speaker 1: Has standing really insane stand out. Also fun casting casting info. Elvis Presley and Donnie Osmond other Osmond were both considered for teen Angel and sadly Elvis died before filming and Donnie was passed over, and so, uh, this is fun. So Frankie Valley was offered either a teenage role or the theme song, and he chose the theme song, which we love Frankie Valley, and that became a hit. And so then Frankie Avalon was cast as teenage oll, reviving his career, which I thought he was.
Speaker 2: I said, it was great.
Speaker 1: Do you remember like the the first time you saw Grease?
Speaker 2: I don't. I remember buying the CD. I do remember getting the CD. It was like one of my prize possessions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely that cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I learned it front to back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I knew all the dance moves, like all the choreography.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Just fully fully obsessed because it was also like very approachable. These were songs anybody could sing.
Speaker 1: Right school like characters like in school, but they were cool and they were.
Speaker 2: Like it doesn't feel like a musical somehow, like it there's nothing. Maybe it's a style of music because it's written with like current sounding music right that I think, like in my head, what I would consider a regular musical like this just is not. It feels like a jukebox music musical, but even the music is.
Speaker 1: Written for it tak the words out of my mouth. Literally, it feels like a jukebox musical. But it's I mean, it's perfect. I remember getting the CD as well Kevin and putting it into my little CD player like portable player, and like we moved the couch. We would get dressed in all black and wear my little motorcycle jacket and my friend and I would literally put on like performances in our living room to You're the One that I Want. And it was so formative for me and I remember seeing it. I don't remember the first time but I just remember all I remember it being controversial in my house of like should we let her watch this? But I knew about it so much in like my all my dance classes, everything that I was doing my musical, you know, I was singing all the songs from the show, like so I think it was just inevitable, like that Greece was. It's just a staple in musical theater, and it was so I think there was something I think Sandy and how innocent she was playing against the contrast of all these other like you know, the Pink Ladies, and like the Rizzo's was so like relatable, that is what you were saying, Like Sandy was our way in yeah, and Danny was and all these the Pink Ladies are like semi aspirational. And then they did and I mean there's just been so many different iterations of Greece throughout the years. I mean, we had the sequel with Cool Rider, of course, I mean my anthem, and and they did a series called Grease, the Rise of the Pink Ladies and Paramount Pla. They also did Fox did Greece Live, which I believe Zach Tommy Keale directed it, who directed Hamilton with like Jordan Fisher, who I remember was like such a standout in that that version. And I remember thinking with all of the Ted musicals that were being like live productions that were being done in that era of time Greece, I was like, that's that's how you do it. This is how you do it, so all of them, like it's just it's it's fun to see like the the life that Greece has lived, and but yet like nobody's like reimagining Greece like a sunset Bulevart or any of these other musicals like this is it is what it is, Yeah, and it's I mean perfectly.
Speaker 2: It was the highest grossing movie musical ever until last year because Wicket came out and.
Speaker 3: Unreal, Yeah it earned almost four.
Speaker 2: Hundred million dollars like it, And.
Speaker 1: Then there was in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, you know what's crazy. So nineteen seventy eight, it's doing a movie about set in the fifties. That would be like doing a movie now and setting it in two thousand and five. But also just doesn't feel like there are.
Speaker 3: Definitive things like that's it's not enough.
Speaker 2: Seventies, eighty nineties all feel very definitive stylistically.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's because of like the rise of the internet, like that was the change. It wasn't so out maybe internal, like it was very internal, like with people going inward and hiding behind her screens and all these crazy things. But like it could be just I guess they are of style, Like like the trends in the style makes sense to me in their early two thousands, Like now we're starting to see, like the jokes on social media how we used to dress and what the millennials used to do. But it's not an interesting enough fort to be Like let me pitch a movie in two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Five costumes and like that school dance sequence that is just that whole school dance sequence. Like I want to ask how long it took to film that?
Speaker 1: I bet you pretty fast. Really, I don't know that it was like hairspray, where you get all that time? Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: So some things I noticed as an adult but I didn't notice as a kid, Like we said how racy it is, how creepy? All, like the guys.
Speaker 1: Are adult men.
Speaker 2: She's the older man, but even like the guys at school are looking up girls dresses and stuff, and also that like the moral of the story is just like nah, just get hot.
Speaker 1: Well that's it. It's like the leave it to the story of like the female having to change to get noticed and like not that that's the only thing, because like Danny does go and he tries to change and you know, reform.
Speaker 2: Hehrm, that does.
Speaker 1: But like at the end of the day, you're like, Sandy doesn't just stay who she is who she is. She's just like let me go say goodbye, to say, let the woman change and be better than she was.
Speaker 2: I love that. She's just like you know what, never mind, let's just fly away in a cart and be hot together.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I also realized that Frenchy is sort of the main character. Well yeah, yeah, like Frenchie I think is end this movie more than any other character.
Speaker 1: She's she's springs Sandy in we have a whole storyline about her in not getting into school or you know, dropping out of beauty school. She's she is the thread.
Speaker 2: She's the thread between like through everything. And it's also like so good Dedy.
Speaker 1: Con Man also just also Vanessa Lenji's playing.
Speaker 2: Right doors out of my mouth.
Speaker 1: I was like like She took my breath away when I saw her coming into that number. The amount of numbers that Glee did for Grease is actually almost the entire.
Speaker 2: Show because it's like it on hits on hits, they're so good.
Speaker 1: And it it I mean, and the story was just like perfect to like our storyline, like we've perfectly through there was like it all just fit into like the high school that we were living in as well. Beauty School Dropout was by far my favorite number. Well I guess look at me, I'm synergy. It was really fun to film, but Beauty School Dropout was also like I don't think we knew we were going to be in it. And then they're like, you guys are in it, just learn it. So we learned it like literally in seconds. And then we had those crowing helmets and they're like, okay, so do the whole dance with these on instead, and you know, like the dancers are like they'll do anything you ask because they're just that's the way they were trained and brought up to. Like you, We're like meanwhile, me and like Becca and I are like what is this these heavy things on our head? We were like bend down. It was crazy, but it looked phenomenal and we had a fun time doing it.
Speaker 2: Uh everybody Okay. Obviously the caveat to this movie is everybody looks about forty years old for.
Speaker 1: Sure, but at least say all in it was cohesive.
Speaker 2: Yes, even like the extras looked old, Like everyone looked old.
Speaker 3: I kind of love.
Speaker 1: I think maybe that's also why we loved it. Like even at the age we were out, like twenty year olds would have been old to us, right, yes, but even now I'm like, oh, I like that it's adults, Like I love it, and there's something.
Speaker 2: There's something immediately when you see Stockard Channing getting out of that car in the very beginning and she's like walking in like this is our senior year, and I'm like, you know what it is?
Speaker 1: Get a girl?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the confidence of being an adult.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: I thought the Pink Ladies, all of them individually and especially Stockard and d D the way they like light up the screen.
Speaker 3: Is an Olidia standard, like just standing unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I feel like everybody was so good. Every single supporting character was on all the time, like it looked like it was fun to film. It looked like they were so in it that like the camera wasn't even there.
Speaker 3: It was really special.
Speaker 1: And I think that's also like all of these movies, these like uh kind of hit musical movies that we're watching now and recapping, Like there's something like High School Musical and Hairspray. There's something about the cast and the magic of the chemistry that elevates the already great music, great story, great performances, but the chemistry is really like kind of the same thing that we talked about with Glee was like we all just it just clicked, right, and when it clicks, you're like it's special. It's not just it's not just excellent, it's special. And I think this is definitely this is just I don't know.
Speaker 2: When I had a brief interaction with Dedcon last month, she very quickly mentioned that Greece felt like summer camp and like they all just got along. Like watching it now again, it's like you feel that obviously, and I.
Speaker 1: Just shooting all over La Yeah, are you Like.
Speaker 2: I forgot that? Almost every single time I see the quote unquote La River, I think of that scene like that is Oh, that's how I first like discovered what the La River looks like it's concrete.
Speaker 3: Well in the amount of times, like I wanted to dress up like a pink lady for Grease for Halloween and was like, I could do it together this year if I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know how bad and jeans and roll my jeans look like a t bver.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: This movie was foundational to who we are.
Speaker 1: No, really, it was into like our love for musical theater. It was very formative in that time for us and seeing I don't know, musical movies like this that take place in relatable places and like you said, like very just relatable across the board, even though they were in their you know, late twenties thirties, Like it's just elevated and fun. And the music was just like NonStop hits. Like the music. I mean, we did You're the One that I Want twice on our show.
Speaker 3: One was in the pilot of our show.
Speaker 2: By the way, You're the One that I Want is like the perfect musical number like sequence that when that came on, I was just like, this is so good, like how it shot the choreo and like that fun house thing you have, like the extra dancer singing the backgrounds like up in the bars, and it's just it's perfection. It's absolutely perfection.
Speaker 1: I love it. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I also like wonder like how they did some of the singing because also like the lip singing was phenomenal, like.
Speaker 1: Straight on, and I would imagine if I had to guess, it.
Speaker 2: Was pre reh it was absolutely prerecorded right like and produced.
Speaker 1: But yeah, everything was like pristine.
Speaker 2: Yes, so many like sequences in this movie that are also like just so long, so high school, Like every so much happens in this movie, and all of it is so good.
Speaker 1: And it's very like it just all molds into each other. Everything is like it works to get other. All the storylines are crazy but believable for like you know, but but not so crazy, I guess. But then there's this air of like, uh, like disbelief. What am I? What is the there's not to dis believe, like with the car and the teen angel and all. Then you're like, wow, like there's something it's just aspirational, you know, and I just it brings me so much joy. Let's talk about some of these musical numbers and we great the performances while we while we do it Grease.
Speaker 2: Growing up, I hated this song.
Speaker 3: I you know what I did too. It's not terrible, it's just I think it's great now.
Speaker 1: When it started immediately I was like, ooh, chills, dumb my Yes.
Speaker 3: So familiar and exciting. So I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Give an I do hate the cartoon intro.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 2: I do hate it intro at all.
Speaker 1: We don't need it.
Speaker 2: Reminded me of that, like failed Glee intro, that we had that one to pull archives. Summer Nights phenomenal.
Speaker 3: I mean it is that.
Speaker 1: It is one of the most I just I know, I'm going to say that a lot in going through these.
Speaker 2: So if I feel like Summer Nights is the gateway drug, Yes, Summer Nights is the number one single. Yes rock to sing both parts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know every word every.
Speaker 2: I also just love how it's I love how it's staged and blocked and choreographed. M h, it's insane. They have that fading in Oliving Newton John space next to John Travolta space like.
Speaker 3: The bleachers are just they're it so jealous.
Speaker 2: You got to be on this.
Speaker 3: Very special look at me.
Speaker 2: I'm Sandar d phenomenon as a kid one I didn't like really, Yeah, for some reason, I didn't really love it.
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying. It's not as much of like a singalong song, Like we're not singing to that in the car. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I was interested in like the fun songs. Yeah, and like something about the melody felt weird to me.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed, I totally.
Speaker 2: I think it's no notes. It's just no note. And also, and look at me, I'm Sandar d watching each of those women. Everybody's just so good. I watched. I tried to watch everybody individually for as long as possible. And that number is everyone's just going.
Speaker 1: On, and we did it pretty close to the original, like we got to do this.
Speaker 2: That yours is also phenomenal.
Speaker 1: That was really fun on That actually revived it for me because I was like, you know, like it's it is the song it is, but Stucord's perfect for it, and so all these by the way, yeah, honestly, I mean, but hopeless they devoted to you is one of my favorite numbers ever ever in musical.
Speaker 3: It's a perfect song. It's unbelievable, and and Olivia.
Speaker 1: Is just like I hope they wrote that one. They cast Olivia because it was actually perfect for her and if they didn't, it was perfect.
Speaker 2: Insane it is and we've talked about this before. There's not much going on in that number, and she is so.
Speaker 1: Captivating, blasting, blasting grease.
Speaker 2: Laightnon also walked in the room, goes, I hate this number.
Speaker 1: It's like, what this is one of the this is a sandru D song for me where it was like, it's fine, but over time I've found addition. Only then Beauty School Dropout was also not one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is fine, but both have been in this rewatch were revived.
Speaker 2: I mean Greece and that was one I used to perform in the house all the time. I knew all the Yes the Boys song it also, you know Austin's point was it just completely stops the story, has nothing to do with the story. Okay, fine, but it is such a good number.
Speaker 1: I mean, the guys needed this song that he could be.
Speaker 2: I also realized in this I think maybe one of my first boy crushes was the blonde one in this movie. It all came flooding back to me watching I was like, yeah, I don't think I realized That's what I was feeling.
Speaker 1: But here it was for you to just revisal it was him Yeah, okay, but makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, yeah, yeah, beautiful dropout we.
Speaker 2: Loved Honestly, Greece is about French.
Speaker 3: Ye, Greece is Frenchie.
Speaker 1: Greece is French.
Speaker 2: I feel like today I've watched it this morning. I was like, how did I miss this? I know she's all up in that movie.
Speaker 1: I know, I know everybody.
Speaker 2: She has her own little journey and.
Speaker 3: I know and her little relationship with see ye good Born to Hand Dive again wasn't like a song that I was like, Oh, I'm gonna listen to this.
Speaker 1: In the car, or put it on. Let me put my discplayer on Born to Hand Dive. But like this whole sequence, the whole dancing, the dancing of it, all the production value, the performances. I I think.
Speaker 3: I also didn't love talk Ja.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she like took me out. I was like, ugh, I don't like her. She did her job right as a character, and you're like I don't like her, but you're like, oh wow, she was really good.
Speaker 2: You know what I like about this one? They shot danced very well in this entire movie. But what I like about it is that, yes, the dancing is clean, but yet it's still a little rough around the edges somehow, like everyone's doing it as their characters and.
Speaker 1: It's not like in sync.
Speaker 2: But it is like everybody's everybody's doing it correctly and it's still clean. You can identify all the movements. It looks together. It looks great, but it's not like I feel like with a lot of modern dancing or a lot of modern movie musicals. Yes, everybody's dancing and the exact same like a yes, there's no person.
Speaker 1: They all look the same. Yeah, yeah, yeah, everybody's the same exact level, hand to the hip like versus like giving it.
Speaker 2: It's not like all of a sudden we started doing a group group choreo and we all lost our identities as a character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't lose.
Speaker 2: Like everybody is still their characters doing those dances. Yes, yes, which I think is a note some modern movie musicals should take.
Speaker 1: Take agreed, uh C and d No, it's fine. I think they added that for that's a skit.
Speaker 2: Did you know the guy who plays Kiniki was Danny Zuko on Broadway.
Speaker 3: M and Travolta played duty right, Yeah crazy?
Speaker 1: Is that crazy? Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sorry, that was just a random fun fact that.
Speaker 1: No, no, for sure, Uh well, there are worse things I could do. The fact that Stockard also pushed to keep this in the movie and then it was almost there was a shot even a second thought. And then I think also having the whole Rizzou storyline on Glee, this like it created a deeper love. Not that there wasn't already a love for this song, but like it was a deeper love for this number even after that and then rewatching it now you're like, wow, they were both stand out, and.
Speaker 2: That's like you have someone who is that good, like that strong of an actor like you put you keep as much of them in as you.
Speaker 1: Can well, and then you're the one that I wanted to we go together.
Speaker 2: Just just perfect, unbelievable. I mean, is that not the perfect movie musical ending at BAM Move. What was refreshing is like I've seen some grease like stage productions, and obviously there was reality shows and the live performance. I think all those things make it feel so bright and like high school. Obviously it's high school and it takes place in high school. But that movie is gritty. It's gritty and rough and like controversial, and that's where it feels.
Speaker 1: Right down and dirty, down and dirty. Obviously.
Speaker 3: You know how we feel about Grease.
Speaker 1: We hated it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never want to see it again.
Speaker 3: Let's see some party takes, Okay, Oh geez, I mean there's actually.
Speaker 2: Quite a few.
Speaker 3: There's a lot things didn't not go well.
Speaker 2: No, it was most of the guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, Rinse, he is just problematic. He is problematic, all the boys, like you said, problematic, like the jam of it, all the weight thing, like.
Speaker 2: Not good, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: Not good. There's just a lot of stuff of treating women and looking at women and pulling skirts up and just doing things that just did not Yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 3: Uh, best ants.
Speaker 2: Move God honestly, Born to hand drive. Yeahorn the whole sequence.
Speaker 3: I mean, Travolta is just phenomenal in that too.
Speaker 2: The special shoutout though for during year, the one they want when they're doing a little box step, it's not even a box step, Like what is it? It's like a little jazzquare? Is it even a jazzquare? Does it count? Yeah? I guess it is a just.
Speaker 1: Best song, Kevin. I'm going with hopelessly devoted to you, Jenna, I can't.
Speaker 2: I think I'm I'm going with You're the one that I want.
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, that is I'm not what I value.
Speaker 1: You would pick.
Speaker 2: Well, there we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, performs by a problem, the broken condom, the needle for the ear piercing, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, yes, the wigs. There's so many good props in this. All the food in the diner.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Oh the panda bear, Oh the panda turning look at me. I'm Sandra d is incredible. Gosh, best line, Sandy. His voice is crazy. The voice he was putting on for this is absolutely insane. But I loved it me too.
Speaker 3: It is crazy, though. Marty says, do they make me look smarter?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, glasses and is like no, you can still see your faces? Was the one liner.
Speaker 2: Punchees tell me about it, stud.
Speaker 1: Yes, nobody puts baby in a corner. That's that one performance. MVP. I mean Travolta and Olivia.
Speaker 2: Just I'm throwing out d d con.
Speaker 1: I mean you.
Speaker 3: Said it, she's the star of the show.
Speaker 2: But yes, John Travolta, Olivia Newton, John like they we're never better, never better, never better. Okay, so should we found on TikTok Sandy Cameron posted stage Geordiva and it's presumably an older gentleman and he's wearing a Glee Live Tour twenty eleven.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, like sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: Incredible outside the stage of a show. Is that a jacket?
Speaker 1: There's a jacket?
Speaker 2: I love the comments. Oh he knows ball. It's an amazing condition.
Speaker 1: Very exciting.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is the exact cody in my closet.
Speaker 1: I love it. Uh, that's Grease. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Thanks for rewatching with us if you did, and if you didn't, I hope this makes you want to because it's a great watch. And this week we're talking to Duty himself, Kevin, one of the T Birds. The original T Bird is very pearl.
Speaker 2: Unreal. And your assignment for next week. I don't think I've ever seen this.
Speaker 1: Grease too coo better? Oh my god? What to watch? What to watch?
Speaker 2: Buckle up and that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time